PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal! :)

frankm007
12-07-2002, 05:33 PM
n/m

YoBrickWall
12-07-2002, 05:57 PM
i usually have 3-1cups of oatmeal a day. i like mine hot. it only takes minutes to heat up.
sometimes i slice bananas, apples or put brown sugar in it.

Vido
12-07-2002, 06:07 PM
I mix it with whey and flax oil. I either heat it up or just throw everything in a blender and make a shake.

BCC
12-07-2002, 06:18 PM
I eat it dry quite often.

Isaac Wilkins
12-07-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by frankm007
but is it a good idea to make them a night before (adding the whey, peanut butter, cinammon or w/e else to add) and putting them in the fridge for a cool breakfast/snack in the morning?

If that's easier for you, then by all means. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

For my tastes, I prefer to make it fresh in the morning, but to each their own.

Fluid
12-07-2002, 06:54 PM
I eat oatmeal for breakfast along with eggs and toast. I prepare it in the microwave and add cinnamon and apple slices.

Fluid

Just some girl
12-07-2002, 10:22 PM
is there some particular reason why eating the oats dry is better than making it with water (or i suppose some people use milk)? I've seen people refer to this in many places and I have to say I don't understand it. If you add milk, you are adding calories. I get that. But cooking oatmeal with water versus eating the oats dry...whats the diff?

Vido
12-07-2002, 10:29 PM
I think the GI of the oats increases if they are cooked. I could very well be wrong though.

Fluid
12-07-2002, 10:34 PM
You can take dry oats with you wherever you go. Also, as an added benefit, they dull your tastes and you actually begin to enjoy bland foods.

Fluid

Lettuce Face
12-08-2002, 01:33 AM
I put 1 - 1.5 cups of oats in a bowl then I pour a bit of hot tap water on them, then put a bit of low calorie syrup on them and then I stuff them down my neck. I do this 3 to 5 times throughout the day.

Cooking the oats is such a waste of time plus you won't be able to eat as many. Stick with the raw oats.

GonePostal
12-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Lettuce Face
I put 1 - 1.5 cups of oats in a bowl then I pour a bit of hot tap water on them, then put a bit of low calorie syrup on them and then I stuff them down my neck. I do this 3 to 5 times throughout the day.

Cooking the oats is such a waste of time plus you won't be able to eat as many. Stick with the raw oats.
Doesn't count if they come back up right after :fart:

Just some girl
12-08-2002, 02:04 AM

yea, but if you have a microwave that it takes literally two minutes to cook it in, and your goal is not to eat as many as humanly possible, but rather a modest portion more suited to someone of a lower body weight, not looking to gain, is there anything intrinsically better about eating oats raw instead of cooked, is my question.

Lettuce Face
12-08-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Just some girl

yea, but if you have a microwave that it takes literally two minutes to cook it in, and your goal is not to eat as many as humanly possible, but rather a modest portion more suited to someone of a lower body weight, not looking to gain, is there anything intrinsically better about eating oats raw instead of cooked, is my question.

"Microwave..." Is everybody here that rich???

Seriously though... Isn't it way easier to just pour warm tap water over them? They taste the same to me whether they're raw or cooked. Cooking the oats is such a pain for me because after I cook them I have to shovel almost double the amount into my neck(because of expansion) whereas if I don't cook them I save cooking time and eating time.;)

Silverback
12-08-2002, 04:10 AM

"Microwave..." Is everybody here that rich???

Seriously though... Isn't it way easier to just pour warm tap water over them? They taste the same to me whether they're raw or cooked. Cooking the oats is such a pain for me because after I cook them I have to shovel almost double the amount into my neck(because of expansion) whereas if I don't cook them I save cooking time and eating time.;)

lol, microwaves aint expensive im a student and ive got one, micowaving or pan cooking will take 5mins max, now who can't say they've got 5minutes to cook some oats?

Most of us spend way more time than that on WBB, and imo they taste much better when cooked up

B-R

bradley
12-08-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Just some girl

I don't see any value in eating them raw over eating them cooked. Granted if you eat them raw you will be able to eat more because the oats haven't expanded due to the water. Cooking them makes the oats more satisfying IMO.

Lettuce Face
12-09-2002, 09:01 PM
After careful consideration I ate oatmeal cooked (for the first time) and it does seem to taste better than the raw.

prof
12-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Lettuce, don't drink/eat hot tapwater, it goes into the hot water tank/boiler so can pick up some unhealthy stuff on the way. Cold water and mircowave it, really quick, honest

Shankerr
12-13-2002, 02:47 PM
I either eat it dry, or mix in some chocolate whey if its cooked... theres alot of other ways to do it, but I haven't gotten sick of these two options yet ;-)