PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout shake

frankm007
12-07-2002, 07:52 PM
n/m

pat s
12-07-2002, 07:56 PM
id use it post workout and ive heard that high acidic juices(orange juice) destroy creatine.maybe try kool-aid

roc
12-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by pat s
id use it post workout and ive heard that high acidic juices(orange juice) destroy creatine.maybe try kool-aid

I don't think using it post workout would be such a good idea, the Udo's choice would slow down digestion, and milk will also slow the digestion of they whey.

Fluid
12-07-2002, 08:17 PM
the Udo's choice would slow down digestion
Fat does not slow down digestion, only gastric emptying.

Anyways, as long as he eats the meal about an hour before ( no less ) he will be fine.

roc
12-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Frank, I know that is your pre workout shake, I was just saying that I dont think you should use it post workout like pat said.

fats slowing digestion (http://www.canolaharvest.com/nutrition_info/)

smalls
12-07-2002, 08:26 PM
By slowing down gastric emptying you will be slowing down how fast the food gets to your small intestine and bloodstream (or lymph system) which is really what is most important anyway.
And its a liquid meal so it probably wouldnt really slow it down anyway.

But regardless he was talking about a PRE workout shake so it wouldnt really matter anyway. As far as the shake goes I would rather have oatmeal instead of the orange juice, but thats just me.

LAM
12-07-2002, 09:02 PM
is there any reason why you can not eat a small meal 1.5 hours prior to training ? just wondering

Fluid
12-07-2002, 09:26 PM
How do you keep flax seed oil ( Udo's ) cold at school?

Fluid

Fluid
12-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Did you recently shave your arms?

Fluid

smalls
12-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I would add oatmeal (blended) in the pre-workout shake, maybe replacing the orange juice. The texture can make you gag, just make sure you shake it well, and you will get used to it.

EdgarMex
12-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by LAM
is there any reason why you can not eat a small meal 1.5 hours prior to training ? just wondering

In my case, I get out of bet at 6 am and go to the gym at 6:30 (it's just a few blocks away). I drik a shake made of 1 cup of 2% milk, 1 scoop of whey and half cup of oats, is that ok, or what can I do to improve it? Also, at what kind of store can I buy dextrose?. Thanks

Silverback
12-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by EdgarMex

In my case, I get out of bet at 6 am and go to the gym at 6:30 (it's just a few blocks away). I drik a shake made of 1 cup of 2% milk, 1 scoop of whey and half cup of oats, is that ok, or what can I do to improve it? Also, at what kind of store can I buy dextrose?. Thanks

i dont think i could go and workout within 1hour of waking up, id feel to groggy to work out. I also like to have at least one decent meal in me before working out because energy stores are vital.

And imo you will have gone through sleeping deprived then getting up and only having a small amount will more than likely result in catabolism. Thats my take on it anyway,

LAM can you offer your services?

Vido
12-09-2002, 04:35 PM
EdgarMex, that shake looks fine as is. I will agree with Big-Ron though and say that if you could workout later in the day you might benefit more.

You might be able to find dextrose in the bulk section of a grocery store. If not, you should be able to get it at a health food store.

Silverback
12-09-2002, 04:41 PM
If you are really stuck for dextrose then try an online source :) you will usually get real good prices online, i think the new 'Atlarge nutrition' will be selling dextrose when it starts.

EdgarMex
12-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Vido
EdgarMex, that shake looks fine as is. I will agree with Big-Ron though and say that if you could workout later in the day you might benefit more.

You might be able to find dextrose in the bulk section of a grocery store. If not, you should be able to get it at a health food store.

Unfortunately due to time constraints, the latest I could hit the gym is 7 am (and I'm not so sure). I'm busy all day and the only other time I would have free would be around 9:30 or 10 pm, but I don't think I could put the same intensity working out so late in the day (I'm more of a morning person).

Thanks for your answers, guys

bradley
12-09-2002, 05:11 PM
You can find dextrose at a place that sells homemade wine kits.