PDA

View Full Version : Dietary tyranny of Parental grocery shopping

hockeyplayer
12-07-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey,
I am 17 and as such, live at home. So my parents buy the food. Here's my problem: My Dad (who does most of the grocery shopping) almost always buys chicken breast for dinner. We have chicken breast and rottini for dinner about 4 times a week, when it's not that it's Kraft "dinner" or oven-cooked pizza most of the time. This has gone on for about 3-4 years. We are by no means poor. The only indication I've been able to get out of him as to why is that he says "Because beef is full of fat and cholesterol."

So here's what I'm wondering:

1). Could this intake of chicken almost to the exclusion of all other meats hinder my gains? for example: by limiting my intake of certain amino acids?

2). Can anyone think of why my Dad might act this way? Could this be based on a nutritional media myth like the no-carbs thing?

Help is very much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Fluid
12-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Red meat isn't very healthy, recent medical journals and/or abstracts can atest to that. Eating chicken is not going to hinder your gains at all. Chicken is one of the best things that you could possibly be eating! However, what is rottini and could you not have kraft or pizzas and just go for the chicken and maybe brown rice?

Fluid

GIS
12-07-2002, 10:53 PM
I live on chicken, but lean beef is a good thing to throw into your diet because it wont kill you. Granted there is more cholesteral but if you choose lean cuts and keep it within moderation, beef offers a vitamin and mineral profile that is different to chicken and the protien is high. Your dad seems like he's more interested in keeping a low body fat and watching out for arterial conditions associated with cholesteral and saturated fat.

That said, you don't NEED beef. Chicken is my favorite bulking protein source in the way that it has decent calories, high protein, and goes with anything. I'd be all over the chicken dinners your dad makes if I were you.

hockeyplayer
12-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Fluid
However, what is rottini and could you not have kraft or pizzas and just go for the chicken and maybe brown rice?

Rottini (like most things that end with 'ini') is a pasta which I can barely hold down sometimes because we eat it so often.

I wish we could skip the dietary cop-outs of KDs and pizzas... my parents are not the democratic types however and don't really take my opinion into account on most matters such as this. Not to whine or anything, but that's how it is... they're cheap.

GIS- good stuff, thanks. :thumbup:

GIS
12-07-2002, 11:14 PM
I have an idea:

If your parents are into eating healthy and you want a diet change... offer to plan meals for them. If they are busy professionals who see making dinner as a chore day-to-day, write up a meal plan for the week and give it to them so they can get the groceries. It'll be a good opportunity for you to get some cooking experience and it makes it so they don't have to worry about making plans for dinner.

Just a thought!

hockeyplayer
12-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Good stuff once again GIS! I'll try that.

restless
12-08-2002, 04:51 AM
Red meat is one of the best foods there is, especially grass fed beef. The cholesterol thing, as far as I'm concerned is crap. Just take your fish oils.

If you can't get red meat try to at least supplement with creatine to make up for it.

bradley
12-08-2002, 06:23 AM
It is my understanding there is no proven link between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol levels in the body. I think GIS had a good plan in that you should cook the dinner. I cook dinner most every evening that is the one way that I know we will have something I like. My parents are always grateful because they don't like to cook after a working all day. Might try digging up some articles for your dad to read on nutrition as it seems he is a health conscious person.

restless
12-08-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bradley
It is my understanding there is no proven link between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol levels in the body. I think GIS had a good plan in that you should cook the dinner. I cook dinner most every evening that is the one way that I know we will have something I like. My parents are always grateful because they don't like to cook after a working all day. Might try digging up some articles for your dad to read on nutrition as it seems he is a health conscious person.

Good advice. Like they say, If you want something well done , do it yourself.

Berserker
12-08-2002, 09:47 AM
I agree offer to cook. Also theres alot worse meals the chicken breast and rottini, maybe little boring. Another reason they do this is its simple and quick. Doesn't sound like there big cooks. I guess a good question is what are you eating for breakfast and lunch?

Fluid
12-08-2002, 09:58 AM
restless,

In order to get 5 grams of creatine each day from red meat you would need to ingest about 5 lbs per day. That is completely unrealistic.

Fluid

restless
12-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Fluid
restless,

In order to get 5 grams of creatine each day from red meat you would need to ingest about 5 lbs per day. That is completely unrealistic.

Fluid

Yes, but it's the only dietary source were you can get it.

Red meat is extremely anabolic, and creatine might be one of the reasons.

It has been suggested by some research that people who take a lot of red meat usually don't bennefit much from creatine supplementation due to already having maximum levels of creatine in their muscles, so if you're not eating it, you should bennefit from supplementing with it.

Contrary to what muscle tech wants us to believe, you can get it from red meat, it's just not as much.

Fluid
12-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Creatine doesn't really have a direct relationship to anabolism in my opinion. Creatine helps the ATP-CP system in the recycling of ATP while the muscles are under stress. Anabolism is the phase of metabolism in which nutrients are synthesized into complex living tissues (muscles).

Fluid

P.S. However, about red meat being bad for you I was mistaken. I did not read "grass fed" in your post. That puts a whole new paint job on things.

Saint Patrick
12-08-2002, 12:41 PM
You could eat nothing but chicken breast as your meat source and make awesome gains. That being said, I'd suggest trying to get some tuna and/or salmon in there too.

Protein + Omega 3's = teh ace.

And speaking of red meat, Buffalo meat is ten times better than beef IMO.

Allie
12-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Why not plan the meals as suggested, but also offer to do the grocery shopping as one of your weekly chores. It actualy could be a lifelong skill building exercise if done right with a budget and all :)

pastdoubt
12-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Well my parents buy a lot of frozen things, so I just cook my own food, regardless of what they eat. I usually cook my own even if they're gonna be cooking the same thing as me... of course my parents enjoy good ol' Southern cooking, so I don't really have any other choice.

Saint Patrick
12-08-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Allie
Why not plan the meals as suggested, but also offer to do the grocery shopping as one of your weekly chores. It actualy could be a lifelong skill building exercise if done right with a budget and all :)

That's a great idea, Allie

hemants
12-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Chicken is complete protein so I wouldn't worry except maybe for your taste buds.