PDA

View Full Version : Here goes...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ElPietro
02-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
LOL...I teach college...anything from algebra to calculus to statistics to differential eqns....still sounding good? ;)

I know my times tables up to 6 i think. So looks like we will have to spend lots of quality time together working on my math skills.

;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 12:41 PM
ah, well that explains your 126, you f**kin' retard.

ElPietro
02-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
ah, well that explains your 126, you f**kin' retard.

Hahaha...i guess with 127 you know your times tables up to 7 eh? :D

Anyways, nuff trashing the young ladies journal for today.

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Okay, last week was an aberration but it's back to the usual routine this week.

...except that I didn't get to do my a.m. workout b/c I had to be at an early morning meeting. Meeting + early morning = bad :(

But after last weeks non-diet (not enough food during the week + beer on the weekend), I'm going back to my 2000-2200 clean cals/day. Today I brought chicken, cottage cheese, PB&J on whole wheat, and some venison stew for my meals during the day. At least I've got my appetite back :)

Yesterday I went for a long walk with my dogs, so I think that counts as low-key cardio. Lifting is planned for Wed/Fri a.m. this week.

Now if Monday would just get itself over and done with...but I can't complain too much, I'm just giving exams today so it's not taxing on my end (until I have to grade that big stack of papers :()

IceRgrrl
02-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Okay, I couldn't wait for Wednesday to workout...so I used the gym at school...not big and not a lot of stuff to work with, but I REALLY wanted to work out. ;)

Back/biceps
Pullup hang/lower: I did these really, REALLY slow. Static hold at the top and slowly lowered from there...2 sets of 5 with my body weight (148 lbs.) and I was fried.

Row: had to do it on the machine for lack of equipment
7 x 75#, 10 x 75#, 15 x 60#

BB shrug: My grip gives out before anything else, but I guess that's a good workout for my grip/forearms...they are still shakey and I'm having trouble typing...LOL!
10 x 100#, 7 x 110#, 7 x 110#

BB bicep curls: These were really weak b/c my arms were rather tired from the pullup hangs/slowers...
8 x 40#, 4 x 45# + 5 x 40#, 4 x 40# + 3 x 35#

Wow. I can tell that I didn't eat enough last week. Usually after a week off I come back strong, but I felt crappy today.

Like I said yesterday...this week is back to normal: good food and enough of it (normally eating all the time is NO problem for me), good rest, and good workouts.

Speaking of food, I'm going to eat that other half of the sub that I had for lunch :D

Alex.V
02-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Yes. Eat. :)

Feel good to be back?

IceRgrrl
02-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Yes, yes it does! :) Thanks, B...

You know, normally any type of stress, disruption, emotional/mental/physical stress sends me right to the weight room to work it out but last week I felt like I gave so much energy to other people, I had none left for anything else...makes me look at people who deal with that stuff on an ongoing basis with new respect...

IceRgrrl
02-27-2002, 08:01 AM
Cardio morning: 30 min. on stair machine
2 min. hard (165-172 bpm)
2 min. easy (135-145 bpm)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2002, 08:09 AM
Holy crap that's a lot to shrug.

IceRgrrl
02-27-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Holy crap that's a lot to shrug.

Thanks for the props, CD...I could probably do a good bit more but my grip is the limiting factor. Oh well, I just consider it a two-for-one exercise...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2002, 08:45 AM
if you really wanna shift more weight and think you can manage it, why not invest in some straps?

IceRgrrl
02-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Hmmm...that's an interesting suggestion. My original thought was to let the grip strength improve to the point where it's not a problem, but you've given me something to think about.

ElPietro
02-27-2002, 09:01 AM
Do you use an alternating grip? It feels weird the first time you use it but it works hella good.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-27-2002, 09:01 AM
no point waiting for your grip strength to come up to par when you could be walking round with some badass traps either side of your neck.

IceRgrrl
02-27-2002, 09:10 AM
El Pietro: Yes, I do use the alternating grip and that does help. I also do at least one set with the overhand grip just because I really feel it in my forearms. I use the alternating grip for SLDL's too because I really want to control the weight.

CD: Yeah, you have a point there. ;)

IceRgrrl
02-28-2002, 09:23 AM
I'm done with classes for today (whoo hoo!) and as soon as I finish this PB&J sandwich, I'm off to the ice arena...I have an hour and a half of ice time this afternoon...planning on some skating and shooting work that will be my workout for the day. :)

ElPietro
02-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Pfft! I hate you. :mad:

IceRgrrl
03-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Good workout today...chest/shoulders/tri's:

DB bench press: 4x35#DB+4x30#DB, 7x30#DB, 7x25#DB
I really could have done more reps with the 35's, but I was starting to shake and was afraid that if I failed or lost control of the weight, I could torque my shoulder. This is when it really, REALLY sucks to workout without a spotter.

Assisted dips: 8 x -60#, 5 x-60#, 7 x -80#
At this gym I do my 6-8 reps with 60# of assistance and at the other gym it's 40-45#. Just goes to show you that there IS a big difference from one machine to the next.

DB shoulder press: 5 x 22.5#DB, 4 x 22.5#+3x20#, 5 x 20
Had to move up from the 20's, so I used the magnetic weights.

Close-grip bench: 6 x 50#, 4 x 50#, 6 x45#

heathj
03-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Stay at this gym then since you can do more weight ;)

IceRgrrl
03-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Actually, since those are assisted (counterweighted) dips, 40# assist would theoretically mean I'm lifting more weight than with 60# assist. But since I know I can do 6-8 reps with both settings, they're really the same...I'm logical like that ;)

heathj
03-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Pfft...assisted dips..When do you think you'll be able to do full bw dips? Goals?

IceRgrrl
03-02-2002, 10:06 AM
Hey, I'm doing the best I can heath...we women do not have the upper body strength that you guys have. And it doesn't help that I weigh so much...LOL. I'll get to the BW dips...not sure when.

IceRgrrl
03-02-2002, 10:09 AM
THis morning's workout:
Almost 2 hours of 4-on-4 hockey with no subs...yes, I skated the whole 2 hours, although by the last half hour or so most of us were just sort of standing around a lot between plays...

...except for the one guy who is a total morning person and WAY too chipper at the hour of 7:00 a.m (stinking morning people...I am not a morning person, and esp not on Saturday mornings when I've been out the night before!)

It was fun though :)

Alex.V
03-02-2002, 10:42 AM

...except for the one guy who is a total morning person and WAY too chipper at the hour of 7:00 a.m

I think I know that guy. I hate him too. :D

Sounds like fun, but that's a hell of a way to start your weekend. lol. Hope you can find some time to relax.

IceRgrrl
03-03-2002, 06:17 AM
Heh. Unfortunately, it set the tone for the rest of my weekend...one of these weeks I'm gonna SLEEP through the whole weekend and enjoy it! ;)

IceRgrrl
03-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Whew! After too much weekend and Monday/Tuesday being my 12 hour days at work, I gave in and slept until 10:00 this morning...and I feel 100% better! Sleep is a wonderful thing...

Now it's off to the gym for the start of this week's workouts. I have shifted everything to W/F/Sa or Su due to Monday/Tuesday being impossible. Being able to shift things around when necessary keeps me on track. :)

Pup
03-06-2002, 09:19 AM
*peeks head in journal* :whazzup:

heathj
03-06-2002, 09:36 AM
*wakes up at 5:30 to workout at 6:30...:angel:

IceRgrrl
03-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Heh...5:30 is an uncivilized hour.

5:30 is a time you stay up till, not a time you get up at!

:D

IceRgrrl
03-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Good Lord, I forgot to log Wednesday's workout:

Back/bi's:

Pullups:
I decided to do full pullups (instead of negatives) to test my progress. I did 6 with 40 lbs. of assistance on my first set, which was big, big, big to me since a few months ago 1 rep at 40# assist was my max!
6 x -40#, 4 x -40# with neutral grip
6.5 x -60# with wide/palms facing away grip (weaker position for me)

One-arm DB row:
8 x 30#, 6 x 35#, 15 x 20#

BB shrug:
8 x 112#, 7 x 112#, 6 x 112#

BB bicep curl: fried by this time, these just finished them off.
5 x 45#, 6 x 40#, 7 x 35#

IceRgrrl
03-07-2002, 12:18 PM
Thursday:
30 min. of intervals on Stairmaster
Average heart rate 151 bpm

ElPietro
03-07-2002, 12:18 PM
pfft! you cannot count a workout once it is a day old!

IceRgrrl
03-07-2002, 12:23 PM
If I'm still feeling the effects, I can ;)

IceRgrrl
03-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Today was so stupendously warm and springlike...68 degrees!...that I took my dogs to the park in the a.m. instead of going to the gym. It's supposed to return to winter over the weekend and I can coop myself up in the gym on Saturday or Sunday.

It was just too beautiful to be inside today...love those March thaws :)

PowerManDL
03-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Damn, here I feel bad for it being 79 while I sat at the pool today.

Pup
03-08-2002, 05:29 PM
It was like 50 here today, and thats a damn heat wave for michigan :cool:

IceRgrrl
03-09-2002, 07:00 AM
LOL! Did everyone break out the shorts, pup? That's what I remember about Michigan...first nice day everyone is out and about in shorts :)

Pup
03-09-2002, 07:01 AM
No shorts, cause it was raining, but i did wear my t-shirt to the gym :)

IceRgrrl
03-09-2002, 07:04 AM
Well, that's close enough ;)

When I was in college, the marching band flew out of Detroit in a blizzard to go to Florida for the Gator Bowl in January. The next day we were all out on the beach after rehearsal while the Floridians were walking around in their puffy coats complaining that it was 60 degrees! Crazy Michiganders...

IceRgrrl
03-10-2002, 05:28 AM
Well, if you you thought I was crazy for postponing a workout so that I could enjoy a rare springlike day, this is why: overnight a huge cold front blew in with 60 mph winds and the temp dropped almost 50 degrees in 15 minutes. It is now bitter cold and blizzard-like and when I look out my windows, I can't see very far until it turns into white blankness...now TODAY is a great day for the gym!

I've experienced the four seasons in 24 hours...:p

IceRgrrl
03-10-2002, 01:20 PM
..and a great day in the gym it was! :)

Chest/shd/tri's:

HS decline press:
Decided after the last time I did these to up up the weight...surprise!
8 x 110#+frame, 6 x 110#+frame, 10 x 70#

Assisted dips:
Again, decided to up the weight and see what happens...
7 x -40#, 5.5 x -40#, 5 x -50#

DB overhead press:
Upped the weight on this one too, esp since the gym I went to today did not have the little magnetic jobbies...I knew 20's were too little, so I decided to go for the 25's...
5 x 25#+3 x 20#, 4 x25# + 3x20#, 12x15#

I could have done more reps with the 25's, but without a spotter, I didn't want to put my shoulder at risk when I failed. Still, it felt pretty good. And the last set really just made me want to cry with the burning...

BB close-grip bench:
Tri's were pretty fried from the previous exercises, esp that last set of overhead presses, so I decided to stay with the 45# BB.
8 x 45#, 7 x 45#, 5 x 45#

It was hard work to carry my gym bag out to the truck afterwards...I felt quite exhausted but happy ;)

Alex.V
03-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Good job on the dips! I'm sure you could do a bodyweight dip for a single or double.

Are you still doing any sort of shoulder rehab work?

IceRgrrl
03-11-2002, 07:03 AM
Thanks B! I'll have to try that one of these days.

Yes, still doing some shoulder rehab stuff. Those overhead presses still keep causing me trouble over time...any one workout isn't that bad, but after several weeks I can feel it. In fact I was just thinking about dropping the overhead presses for a bit and doing something else for shoulders...any suggestions?

IceRgrrl
03-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Monday: early morning cardio, 30 min.

I was supposed to go out to breakfast with a friend this morning, but she cancelled, so I decided to jump on the treadmill for a bit. I'm going to try this early a.m. moderate cardio thing on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays for a little while as an experiment.

IceRgrrl
03-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Tuesday: Cardio
35 min. on Stairmaster
Avg. heart rate 152 bpm

IceRgrrl
03-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Wednesday: back/biceps

I worked out at a different place today with a friend who I'm trying to get back into the gym so I deviated from my usual routine....felt good though :)

HS pulldown:
I wasn't sure what weight to use...next time I'll go heavier.
8 x 90#, 8 x 100#, 15 x 80#

Rear delt flye (machine):
These seem to be helping to stabilize my shoulder...I like 'em as a change-up.
8 x 40#, 5 x 50#, 15 x 30#

BB shrug:
For some reason I had extra strength on these today, maybe because I didn't do pullups.
8 x 115#, 10 x 115#, 9 x 115#

BB bicep curl:
Again, had more than the usual strength left due to no pullups. I always use this exercise to just finish the exhaustion process. One of these days I'm going to test myself and see what I can do when I'm fresh.
8 x 40#, 6 x 40#, 9 x 35#

ElPietro
03-13-2002, 08:29 AM
Awesome shrug young lady. :thumbup:

IceRgrrl
03-14-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks, El Pietro...for some reason my traps have always been strong. They are sore today though...

IceRgrrl
03-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Thursday: Cardio

30 min. interval run in the park...it's a beautiful warm, springy day!

ericg
03-14-2002, 09:20 AM
spring = ace......nice job !!!

IceRgrrl
03-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Friday: early morning cardio, 30 min., avg HR 137 bpm

IceRgrrl
03-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Saturday: 7:30 a.m.
1.5 hours of hockey. We had 6 people per side, so one sub...that means that I got off the ice about every 20 min. for about 1 min. of catching my breath...damn, that's a good workout. :)

My youth hockey team has their big end-of-the-season league tournament this weekend. We had an early morning game today right after my morning skate...and we won handily...a good start. We already won one Friday night and have one more later today. Between games I'm going to the gym...

IceRgrrl
03-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Saturday: p.m.

I did legs today for the first time since I tweaked my knee in Feb. I warmed up on the treadmill, stretched really well, and did my regular routine at about 3/4 of the usual weight/intensity...started with a light set to feel it out, then loaded up more weight on the subsequent sets and stopped myself when it felt semi-heavy but still good...I could have done more, but decided to hold back a little and see how my knee held up to the work. So far so good...no stiffness/swelling/discomfort but boy oh boy, am I gonna be sore tomorrow!

We won our game in the late afternoon as well...if we win tomorrow a.m., we're going to the championship!

IceRgrrl
03-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Sunday:
Yes, I am (#%*-ing sore as hell. Also, I went out for dinner with my other half last night and something I ate did not agree with me, so I am feeling not-so-hot this morning and running to the bathroom too often :( Yuck.

We won a really good game this morning...I can't believe how well our team is playing. We don't have the best talent in the tournament, but we have exceptional teamwork and hustle and the girls are really stepping up to the challenge. It's amazing...

Between games today, along with correcting quizzes and editing some lecture notes, I surpassed myself in pure-D geekiness by writing a program for my TI-83 graphing calculator that finds an approximate solution to a 1st order differential equation using the Runge-Kutta method...I need to go over this method and two others with my Diff. Eqns. class this week and couldn't find a program that I was happy with...so I wrote my own...and I absolutely LOATHE programming.

IceRgrrl
03-17-2002, 05:13 PM
My youth team won their championship game...it was absolutely the coolest. When the buzzer rang at the end of the third period, gloves, sticks, and helmets went flying everywhere, the bench emptied, and the players piled on our goalie. One of the seniors scored the game winner...in her last game (she's going away to college next year). It's been a long season and it was awesome to see all our hard work and practice pay off when it counts.

Now that the adrenalin has worn off, I am SO tired, I have no voice left from yelling, I spent all my waking hours at the rink (except for that little sidetrip to the gym) and I ate not enough/bad food all weekend. I'm going to have to go to work tomorrow just to rest up...whew!

IceRgrrl
03-19-2002, 06:56 PM
Tuesday: cardio

45 min. Spinning class...it felt good to do something after a day and a half of being sick (had the intestinal bug that's been going around school...thank goodness for Gatorade!).

Blood&Iron
03-19-2002, 08:20 PM
...and I absolutely LOATHE programming.
That's funny, I absolutely LOATHE math. Programming is kinda fun. Just seeing the word 'differential' in your journal sent a shiver up my spine, actually.

Mystic Eric
03-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Sunday:
Between games today, along with correcting quizzes and editing some lecture notes, I surpassed myself in pure-D geekiness by writing a program for my TI-83 graphing calculator that finds an approximate solution to a 1st order differential equation using the Runge-Kutta method...I need to go over this method and two others with my Diff. Eqns. class this week and couldn't find a program that I was happy with...so I wrote my own...and I absolutely LOATHE programming.

wtf? you MADE your own program?? how does one go about such a thing? Icer, what can i say? you're everything a guy could ever want and more. Brains, Beauty, and Sports...

(btw.. you're still using the TI-83? I use the TI-83 Plus.)

Cackerot69
03-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Math sucks.

Jane
03-20-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

wtf? you MADE your own program?? how does one go about such a thing?
(btw.. you're still using the TI-83? I use the TI-83 Plus.)

are you kidding?
I thought that's what all good kids do during math class when they are in need of entertainment. :confused:

IceRgrrl
03-20-2002, 04:48 AM
LOL! You guys are a trip...;)

B&I: I like the idea of programming, the logic, the flow, the big picture...I just absolutely hate all the little sniggling details and the (#*%^% debugging...*sigh*

Eric: Yes, it is a TI-83 Plus actually. And you can download/write all kinds of programs using very crude form of BASIC. It's under the PGRM button (EXEC, EDIT, NEW). If you do a Google search, there are tons of programs out there...I just couldn't find a good one to do what I wanted. And thanks for the compliments...you made me blush!

Cack: That's what people who can't do math always say! ;)

Jane: You got it, girl! Either programs or games...lots of fun. I do the same thing in boring meetings.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-20-2002, 06:31 AM
I kinda agree with Eric. You seem like the total Package Icer. Intelligence, devilish good looks, you play a demanding physical sport, you lift weights... If you drink beer (and not soppy alcopop crap that they do over here) then i think i'm in love haha.

Alex.V
03-20-2002, 08:37 AM
Gradually people are catching on to what I've been saying for the last 6 months or so. ;)

heathj
03-20-2002, 08:45 AM
And what I've been saying for the last year or so..

kimpy225
03-20-2002, 01:30 PM
ti-83 rocks
haha
right jane?
my programs on there consist of.... using...
Disp
and
Pause
haha
i dont know how to make it repeat!
damn!
and oh
HI icer!
cool online journal :)

heathj
03-20-2002, 03:14 PM
TI-89 is better, plus you can use it for the SAT's...with the 92, you can't.

kimpy225
03-20-2002, 03:29 PM
you can use ti-83 for the SATs
why am i still talking about that haha

IceRgrrl
03-20-2002, 03:34 PM
...and the TI-89 actually comes with a Runge-Kutta solver for differential equations...then I wouldn't have to write my own...LOL!

The 92 is a waste...a lot of extra commands/buttons and not a lot of extra's...makes it not so user friendly. Though the 3-D mesh graphing is nice...

I have just about every graphing calculator know to man...I have a pile of them in a box in my office and in various places at home.

IceRgrrl
03-20-2002, 07:34 PM
Wednesday: chest/shd/tri's

Well, I did this workout, but it sucked...I'm still feeling somewhat weak/dehydrated from my little bout with the bug. I HATE regression...:mad:

DB bench press:
I moved up to the 35#'s last time I did these, but couldn't do it this time...damn, damn, damn. I hope I regain those reps with the 35#'s plus some more when I'm back to 100%
9 x 30#DB's, 6 x 30#DB's, 11x 25#DB's

Assisted dips:
More regression... :cry:
6 x -60#, 6 x -60#, 8 x -80#

DB shd. press:
Bah...I did reps with the 25#'s last time...at this point I feel my energy dropping off quite a bit.
8 x 20#DB's, 7 x 20# DB's, 11 x 15#

CG bench:
8 x 45#, 8 x 45#, 8 x 45#

Okay, I guess the bummer of regression has to sometimes go along with the thrill of progression. I guess sometimes something is better than nothing and that's what counts...poop.

Mystic Eric
03-20-2002, 07:41 PM
icer, first things first, since you call me Eric, I was wonder if I could call you by your last name like "Mz. _____" or even by your first name if you allow that :angel:

When you say "assisted" dips, how much assistance is there? 'Cause 80 pounds is pretty damn good!!

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 05:44 AM
And I don't go by any "titles" like "Ms." anyway...I just have my students call me by my first name...I'm pretty informal. But, I'm not comfortable using my real name on a public forum on the Internet...just for security reasons.

The assisted dips I do at two different gyms...on one machine I set it at 40# to get my reps and the other gym I use 60# to get the same reps, so I figure I'm using about 50# of assistance. Since I weigh almost 150 lbs, that means I'm working with 100#.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-21-2002, 08:15 AM
We should play a real fun game of trying to guess Icer's name.

I'll go first.

Henrietta.

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 08:19 AM
Can I play Icer? :D

Alex.V
03-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Can I play too? What's the reward?

Okay, stop degenerating the thread!!

heathj
03-21-2002, 08:33 AM
I know it! :D

Mystic Eric
03-21-2002, 08:38 AM
:spam:

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Ha ha...those of you who know are excluded from the game ;)

Here's a clue: many people give their small, yappy dogs the same name...

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Fido?

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Fluffy!

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Power is close. :D

mesmall
03-21-2002, 12:16 PM
bitch......j/k :D

heathj
03-21-2002, 02:24 PM
I will tell you. It's Rover.

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 02:25 PM
LMAO! Ha ha...good ones, guys ;) El Pietro, he got one letter right...how is that close?

And yes, mesmall...I *have* been called the word that rhymes with witch before :p

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 02:28 PM
pfft...your clue sucks anyway...and one letter is closer than anyone else... :p

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 02:29 PM
*and now for something completely different...a serious journal entry*

Thursday: cardio
30 min. of intervals on the stairmachine (plus 5 min. warmup and cooldown).

I'd like to smack all the cardio queens who support half their bodyweight on the rails and think that they're getting a workout by moving their feet really fast with a 3 inch ROM...pullleeaaze! Do it right, or don't do it at all!

Does it really take that much balance to climb stairs??? How do they negotiate real stairs??? Oh wait...these are the same people who take the elevator one floor up and circle like vultures in the parking lot waiting for a spot right near the door...LOL!

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Buffy?

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
pfft...your clue sucks anyway...and one letter is closer than anyone else... :p

Oh yeah? Then why have I met 10 times as many dogs with my name than people with my name?

(not that I'm complaining...I like a lot of dogs better than a lot of people)...

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Really? I've never met any dogs named...woah...almost spilled the beans there...hehehe... :eek:

*shuffles off*

Blood&Iron
03-21-2002, 02:39 PM
Fifi.

Mystic Eric
03-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Igor

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 03:57 PM
ROFLMAO! That is classic...I'm going to start going around introducing myself as Fifi! That'll be good for a laugh.... :p Don't I just seem like the Fifi type???

Now y'all are being way too literal/campy here...forget the tired-old-cliche dog names and try the nouveau ones ;)

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 04:02 PM
That involves thinking.

Mystic Eric
03-21-2002, 04:05 PM
I know!

Lexis!

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Ice clearly said she resembled a dog, not a car.

Jane
03-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Francesca?

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Shaniqua?

heathj
03-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Lexis is not a car, Lexus is.

Jane
03-21-2002, 04:31 PM
For some strange reason I feel like I got it. Did I?

Mystic Eric
03-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Well is she Italian? I had a friend that was close to me named Francesca and she was Italian... then she moved away... :(

heathj
03-21-2002, 04:47 PM
No you didn't Janey.

Blood&Iron
03-21-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Jane
Francesca?
That's what I was gonna guess, before I remembered the dog thing, and the fact that Fifi is very similar sounding to 'Fluffy'

So, I 2nd this guess.

Jane
03-21-2002, 04:51 PM
My dog's name is Roxanne. But she isn't fluffy or little in any way shape or form.

I'm giving up :)

IceRgrrl
03-21-2002, 05:09 PM
LOL! I'm surprised that you all lasted this long...it must be a slow day ;)

Yeah, Powerman...I'm a real dog...woof woof :rolleyes:

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Beatrice?

Mystic Eric
03-21-2002, 05:16 PM
LOL! I'm surprised that you all lasted this long...it must be a slow day ;)

*growls back at icer ;)

Hey wait! Isn't this supposed to be a journal thread?? Degeneration once again tuttut

PowerManDL
03-21-2002, 06:20 PM

Why does everyone take my sarcasm so personally? I guess its that "91% Evil" rating I scored.

Allie
03-21-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by heathj
I know it! :D

I know too, so I guess I'm excluded also

ElPietro
03-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Alright, stop trashin the journal...she isn't telling anyway...

Cackerot69
03-21-2002, 08:12 PM
I know it.

IceRgrrl
03-22-2002, 09:54 AM
I love Friday's...slept until 9:00, then stayed in bed and read for another hour or so before the gym :) Such a civilized way to start a day...

Friday: back/bi's

Pullups: Static hold/slow negative
I am getting much stronger with these. I can now hold myself at the top for a long time. When my arms start to shake and my back starts to twitch, then I lower myself very slowly with pauses where I can. It hurts, but it feels so good at the same time.
5, 5, 4 x -20#

T-bar row:
Doing these after the pullup hold/negs is the last straw for my poor back muscles...I felt like a wet rag.
7 x 35#+frame, 7 x 35#+frame, 15 x 20#+frame

Lower back hyperext/Roman chair:
I must have slept funny last night (or slept too long!) b/c I had a kink in my back when I woke up, so these sounded like a good idea to work it out and stretch it.
12 x BW+10#, 12 x BW+10#, 12 x BW+10#

BB bicep curl:
Just the last bit of exhaustion here for the arms. I end up using up my strength on the pullups/rows so I never have much left for these.
4 x 45#, 5 x 40#, 6 x 35#

Weirdness seen in the gym: Lady in her 40's wearing shiny aerobics get-up circa early 80's doing cheerleader stuff in between her sets with the little pink dumbbells.
:eek:

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-22-2002, 10:08 AM
How much does the T-bar frame weigh? I've never thought about including that weight in my lifts. Do you do supported or unsupported?

IceRgrrl
03-22-2002, 10:28 AM
The one at the gym that I went to today has the supported T-bar row. I don't know how much the frame weighs but it's probably around 20 lbs. or so, I'd guess.

ElPietro
03-22-2002, 11:06 AM
How do you do a 35# barbell curl when the bar weighs 45#s? Or is it some other type of bar or contraption?

IceRgrrl
03-22-2002, 11:36 AM
CD: I was wrong...the frame weighs 35# (I dunno...it felt light to me)

ElP: I used the 35# BB...just like the 45-lber but a little shorter. By the time I get to the bicep stuff, I'm totally fried. One of these days I'm going to see how much I can curl when I'm fresh...

the doc
03-22-2002, 11:37 AM
icerrrr = ace!

Alex.V
03-22-2002, 11:39 AM
Why would you do that? Ego boost?

Curl jockey.

So those static holds on the pull ups are helping. Feeling stronger? Ready to do unassisted pull-ups yet? ;)

IceRgrrl
03-22-2002, 11:42 AM
doc: Thanks :)

B: Scientific curiosity, my friend ;) But seriously, my arms get such a beating in the first part of my workout that it seems like my bicep curl is not progressing at all. I'm just curious to see what strength gains I've made there. Still can't do an unassisted pullup...:( It's a lot harder going up than the reverse...(damn long arms).

the doc
03-22-2002, 12:00 PM
icerrr

Do you have a specific arm training day?
why not? If you want to progress in curling (curl jockette ;) ) then i have found it essential

It is very difficult to isolate the back from the bis. granted i am a guy but have been making progress again by switching to a 10 day split with an arm day ( i was not doing one before)
legs
off
chest
off
back
off
shoulders/traps
off
arms/abs
off
repeat
also, your arms will be so fried from assisting your back exercises, progresing here will be difficult (as you are finding out)

IceRgrrl
03-22-2002, 12:07 PM
LOL! Geez, make one little observation about your curl and suddenly you're being accused of CJS (Curl Jockey Syndrome) ;)

That's an interesting split there, doc. I will have to think about that...one thing that I see that I like is that it allows more time to recover between workouts for the same body part. Between lifting, hockey and the c-word (cardio), I know that I need to cut myself some more recovery time. Thanks for the input!

the doc
03-22-2002, 12:10 PM
my pleasure :)

IceRgrrl
03-23-2002, 02:59 PM
OMG...I am SO sore from yesterday's workout (I really pushed the intensity and now I'm feeling it). I think that combination of pullups and T-bar rows really did me in...I love it though ;)

Today is a rest day. I think I'll hit the hot tub for a little while after getting my &$^%@ school stuff done.

And I believe I will be revamping my split starting next week. The doc got me going and Belial gave me his thoughts as well...thanks guys! :)

the doc
03-23-2002, 06:42 PM
OMG... I think I'll join doc in the hot tub for a little while after getting my &$^%@ school stuff done.

:)

your always welcome !;)
:hump:

IceRgrrl
03-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Hey....I think I've been quoted out of context :p

doc, I once thought you were one of those nice quiet guys, but I see that you have a sneaky devilish side that you've ben hiding ;)

BTW, the hot tub was awesome!

IceRgrrl
03-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Sunday: cardio

Today I went for my first run since I tweaked my knee. I did 2 miles at a moderate pace and it felt pretty good. If my knee doesn't stiffen up later today or by tomorrow morning, then I'm good for easing into regular running again. Yay! :)

the doc
03-24-2002, 04:19 PM
heh heh...

I'm single again- trying to sharpen my flirtation and winking skills ;)

IceRgrrl
03-25-2002, 06:29 AM
Ah hah...that explains "the new doc"...working on your game, eh? Well, then I'm glad to be of help! :)

IceRgrrl
03-25-2002, 06:31 AM
It's been overnight and my knee feels fine....yippee! I iced it right after the run and again before I went to sleep and everything feels good this morning. FINALLY back to normal...

I'm off to an early morning meeting where I plan to sit in the back and work on my new workout split :)

IceRgrrl
03-26-2002, 09:49 AM

Another comfortable 2 miles, on the treadmill this time b/c it's raining outside.

This week starts the first of two 8-week training cycles for running. This first 8 weeks is just about adjusting to doing more running, increasing mileage gradually, making sure that my knee (and other joints) are up to the increasing workload, and working on my aerobic base (which is already pretty good from hockey and other cardio.)

The second 8-week training cycle builds up to my annual 15K run that I do every summer. This year my parents have both signed up to run it too (I love that they are so active and ambitious!) and we've peer-pressured my boyfriend to join the fun so it's going to be quite the social event as well as a physical challenge :)

The second 8-weeks I will use to build up speed and fine tune for the July 14th race.

In the process I'll probably lean out quite a bit, which is always nice for summer :D

Alex.V
03-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Agh, cardio queen. ;)

A 15k every summer, eh? What kind of speed/endurance training will you do for it?

New workout split? Have you finalized it yet? lemme see!

IceRgrrl
03-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know you are anti-cardio, B :) I really love running though. It's meditative for me and I enjoy it...plus, it really helps me burn off unwanted fat.

In my second 8-week cycle, I do more intervals--2 min. on/2 min off--during one run per week, some hill repeats (run hard up, jog slow down), and a tempo run once per week, where I'm running at or just below my anaerobic threshhold to increase my efficiency and get my body used to running at a harder pace. Then there are just plain running days and a once-per-week long run.

IceRgrrl
03-28-2002, 06:44 AM
Yesterday's workout didn't happen due to a utility problem near my gym...so I'll be making up that workout this afternoon. It WAS going to be a leg day, but since I'm playing hockey tonight and this weekend, I think I'll concentrate on upper body.

the doc
03-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Icerrr i only have two things to say to you ;)

In the process I'll probably lean out quite a bit, which is always nice for summer :D

:drooling: :hump:

the doc
03-28-2002, 07:29 AM
also, i find it hard to believe you need to lose any fat ;)

Pup
03-28-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by the doc
also, i find it hard to believe you need to lose any fat ;)

:withstupi

To continue the trend... "Ice :angel: " :hump:

IceRgrrl
03-28-2002, 08:41 AM
LOL! You guys are the best...thanks for the ego boost ;)

Actually it was training for a big run that contributed to my getting really hooked on lifting. I had been lifting for sports and for fun for awhile...just loved the routine, the challenge, the discipline, and the progress...but after a few months of heavy-duty running training, I suddenly *saw* all the muscles as the fat loss mounted up. That was pretty cool...:)

ElPietro
03-28-2002, 08:41 AM
You looked great when I saw ya! :thumbup:

IceRgrrl
03-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks, El Pietro. I'm not sure if you're just being nice though, seeing that when I saw you I was layered like the Michelin Man under my team warm-ups ;) Not exactly the most flattering outfit...:p

ElPietro
03-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Well you dress differently this time then. :)

And no I wasn't just bein nice deary, although I'm sure you know that, all the guys here are being truthful...

It was me that needed to wear the outrageous clothing that I did to mask my body as much as possible. :D

IceRgrrl
03-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Heh...it's a hockey weekend...jeans/sweatshirts/T-shirts/warm-ups...clothing that emphasizes the functional over the decorative.

Anyway, I found out tonight that a whole lot of other people I know from hockey, from all kinds of places, will also be at this tournament so I'm hoping to see some old friends :)

ANYWAY...today's workout was abbreviated due to other factors that arose but shall remain nameless. But I got it done, so...

Thursday: chest/shd/triceps

DB bench, dips, DB overhead press, CG bench

I'll have to come back and post the details b/c it's late and I'm too lazy to go dig my notebook out of my gym bag.

And topping off a grand day, an hour and a half of hockey :)

Happy Easter/Passover to all, and to all a good night...

Mystic Eric
03-29-2002, 12:59 AM

ANYWAY...today's workout was abbreviated due to other factors that arose but shall remain nameless. But I got it done, so...

tuttut

Anyways, good luck with your hockey. :)

IceRgrrl
03-29-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks Eric...going from a sleep-deprived week into a sleep-deprived weekend...should be fun :) I just hope I have enough left for the hockey!

the doc
03-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Kn lets get our priotities straight- no missing workouts tuttut

priorities for icerrr

1) Lift weights
2) go out with doc ;)
3) everything else

ElPietro
03-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Just thought I'd put in a good word regarding Icer's hockey skillz. I had the chance to watch two of her games...she was definitely a cut above the other girls I watched play. Her team pretty much sucked, but Icer helped them keep the games respectable with her formidable defensive prowess. :)

Now her drinking ability was equally impressive...she was downing the pints with the best of us last night and earned my respect. :p

The time we spent in her hotel room was memorable, let me know the hotel ahead of time next time, and i'll pay for an upgraded room. Haha, j/k I was good. :angel:

Anyway, had a great time and I'm gonna stop now before you kicks my as$. :)

PowerManDL
03-31-2002, 08:50 PM
Now her drinking ability was equally impressive...she was downing the pints with the best of us last night and earned my respect. :p

You're just lucky I wasn't there. I'd have made ALL your drinking abilities look horribly lame.

ElPietro
03-31-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

You're just lucky I wasn't there. I'd have made ALL your drinking abilities look horribly lame.

*said in an arnold accent*

Whatever, puny little girlie man. You would have fallen to the floor with your puny little dehydrated body, before we even broke the seal. We would have had to carry you out of the bar like the little sissy you are!

the doc
03-31-2002, 09:16 PM
babahhaha

she'll love this tomorrow morning!

PowerManDL
03-31-2002, 09:23 PM
ElP, not only could I outdrink you, but I could outdrink you and Ice at the same time, and still be ready for more after you'd both passed out. I'm the Ninja of alcohol.

IceRgrrl
04-01-2002, 07:27 AM
:eek:

What in heaven have you all done to my journal???

El Pietro, thank you for your vouching for my hockey/drinking abilities. Those of you who know me know that I don't run it unless I can back it up...and now you have outside proof ;)

Now as for that little hotel comment tuttut ...I was merely leaving my barbarian side on the ice and reverting to my good manners which dictate that when one is completely sweat-soaked and stinky after a game, it IS necessary to shower and clean up before heading out to socialize.

Anyway, it was a fun weekend...got some nice bodychecking penalties (damn, those girls are lighter than the guys I usually play with!), got to hang with El Pietro and drink beer...created some whispering among my teammates for hanging out with a guy who wasn't my boyfriend and being the last one to come in Sat. night/Sunday morning around 3 a.m.

...and I'm really glad I don't have to be at work this morning. I still gotta catch up on my sleep.

Mystic Eric
04-01-2002, 11:58 AM
Pietro = The coolest guy ever

the doc
04-01-2002, 12:00 PM
damn icrrr why are you cheating on me???? ;)

IceRgrrl
04-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Gee, doc...I didn't know you cared ;) Now let's not have any jealousy here tuttut

ElPietro
04-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Gee, doc...I didn't know you cared ;) Now let's not have any jealousy here tuttut

I agree Icer...that's why I didn't post all the other stuff that we did together. I mean what we do with hot oil and a riding crop is nobody else's business anyway.

I'd hate to start a controversy here... :)

IceRgrrl
04-01-2002, 03:43 PM
tuttut I think you might be confusing reality with that adult movie you were watching...

...and don't be giving doc ideas, he's newly single and impressionable :p

PowerManDL
04-01-2002, 04:51 PM
How dare you continue to degenerate this journal without me!!

Pup
04-01-2002, 05:13 PM
*degenerates thread* :ninja:

IceRgrrl
04-02-2002, 08:38 AM
It had to happen sooner or later...a serious update. ;)

I had an awesome workout this morning b/c I had a spotter and could really go for it. Geez, it really makes a difference...

Chest/shd/tri's:
Normally today would be legs or back/bi day but I'm playing hockey at noon and need my back to be fresh, plus I looked at the calendar and noticed that I may be playing in tournaments 4 out of the 5 weekends between last weekend to the end of April, so I'm giving the legs a break.

DB bench:
Wow. I almost got all my reps with the 35's, when previous I had only gotten 4 on one set before I had to worry about dropping them on my face or wrenching my shoulder. That is it...I've got to find a reliable spotter/workout partner.
10 x 25#'s, 8 x 30#'s, 8 x 35#'s, 7 x 35#'s

Bench dips:
The assisted machine was being monopolized, so I did my dips off of one bench with my feet out in front of me on another bench and a 35# plate on my lap. These definitely isolated the triceps more since the chest is kind of taken out of the motion, but I also could tell that this position really bothered my shoulders, so I probably wouldn't do these again.
10, 9, 8

DB overhead press:
In retrospect, I should have done these before the bench dips since those fatigued my triceps...which really sucked for the overhead presses.
10 x 15#'s, 8 x 20#'s, 4 x 25#'s, 2 x 25#'s

BB CG bench:
The first set flew up so quickly that I got crazy and added 10 more lbs. for the next two.
8 x 45#, 4 x 55#, 3 x 55#

I'm off to the ice rink!

ElPietro
04-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Wow 35lbs DBs on flat bench. That's awesome! :thumbup:

Mystic Eric
04-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Excellent job IceR

IceRgrrl
04-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys! I was pretty psyched about it myself ;)

I think I'll celebrate my PR by spending the rest of the evening lying on the couch watching movies...LOL!

PowerManDL
04-02-2002, 03:00 PM
Eat something bad for you while you're at it.

Alex.V
04-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Very nice, glad you could find a spotter, especially for the presses. Makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, bench dips are notorious for shoulder awkwardness. Avoid. :)

And I thought you were finally going to have some free time on the weekends? lol. What happened?

the doc
04-02-2002, 03:38 PM
And I thought you were finally going to have some free time on the weekends? lol. What happened
they're being spent with me ;)

IceRgrrl
04-03-2002, 12:50 PM
B, those ARE my free weekends...LOL!

doc: you'll be spending your weekends writing that &#%@ dissertation...now get to work! ;)

IceRgrrl
04-03-2002, 12:56 PM
Wednesday: little bit of active rest, little bit of work

30 min. walk with dogs in the a.m. (before the cold rain :swear: )

1 hour light skating...I just went out on the ice with my skates and stick and shot around for a bit. I'm going to skate-and-shoot tomorrow morning and have a tournament Friday-Sunday, so today was just rest and fun :)

And then I went home to correct exams...what an awful task for a day in the middle of my spring break.

Thank goodness for the distraction of IM :D Thanks for rescuing me, AOL buddies !

ericg
04-03-2002, 01:52 PM
You need to get MSN!!!

IceRgrrl
04-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Thursday: Another good workout. It's always amazing what a bunch of good sleep/no stress will do for your energy level...

Back/bi's:

Pullup:
Tested myself at the beginning and found that I can do almost 1 rep with only 20# of assistance. I didn't quite do all the way down to the bottom (bothers my shoulder) and I couldn't get all the way to the top, but I can definitely feel the improvement in overall strength. Then I went back and did my long, slow negatives.
5, 5, 3

T-bar row:
All weights are what I loaded onto the frame, which itself weighs about 30+ lbs.
5 x 25#, 8 x 35#, 7 x 35#, 12 x 25#

BB shrug:
My grip is getting much stronger, though the 12 rep set at the end was tough.
8 x 115#, 7 x 125#, 12 x 100#

BB bicep curl:
Fried at this point, as always.
5 x 40#, 4 x 40#, 11 x 30#

Off to lunch with a friend and then to play hockey in the afternoon, which will be my cardio for the day.

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 06:32 AM
Wow. My traps are sore this morning...and unfortunately, so is my right inner thigh. I think I might have strained something in hockey yesterday, probably when a guy yanked one of my feet out from under me in front of the net and I went down in the splits (I'm flexible, but not THAT flexible). I hope it just goes away without incident...

So I'm just resting for the rest of the day until I have to play tonight. I suppose I should finish cleaning up my house (hateful, hateful task!) and grading exams.

In a fit of goodwill, I invited my youth hockey families to my house before our end-of-the-year banquet on Sunday, so I guess I really do have to at least "clean up the big chunks" and make things look somewhat neat...*sigh*

the doc
04-05-2002, 07:15 AM
sounds like a nice day to eat a lot!

recovery needs food!

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the reminder, doc! I met a friend for lunch at a great Jewish deli...I had a huge yummy roast beef sandwich and a big bowl of lentil soup. The little old lady waiting on me asked my friend if I usually eat that much ;)

The answer is yes, many times each day!

IceRgrrl
04-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Weekend update:

Friday:
hockey game + after hockey socializing

Saturday:
a.m. pick-up hockey with my usual bunch of guys then hot tub and back to sleep for a few hours

p.m. game + more after hockey socializing and going out for food at a Very Late Hour, made later by the &%^# time change. Bumped into a couple of guys at the bar from Saturday morning hockey...realized 30 sec. into conversation that at least one of them had no idea who I was as I was not wearing a helmet and hockey gear. :p

Sunday:
a.m. game at an Ungodly Early Hour then back to sleep for a few more hours

p.m. end-of-the-year banquet with the youth hockey association I coached with.

And now spring break is officially over and I have to go back to work tomorrow :cry:

IceRgrrl
04-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Monday: a rest day (most definitely)

Well, last week sometime I seem to have strained a hip flexor or something like that. It hurts mostly at night/in the morning since I can't seem to find a way to sleep that doesn't bother it. Once I'm up and around for awhile, it mostly goes away...very strange. :confused:

Anyway, I'm just trying to get myself mentally back to the school routine and making sense of the paper storm I left in my office before break. The good thing about my office is that I now have a small microwave and a small fridge, so bringing/storing/preparing all my food on long days is not a problem :)

IceRgrrl
04-09-2002, 01:56 PM

3 mile run, details to follow...

Orange357
04-09-2002, 02:05 PM

Anyway, I'm just trying to get myself mentally back to the school routine and making sense of the paper storm I left in my office before break. The good thing about my office is that I now have a small microwave and a small fridge, so bringing/storing/preparing all my food on long days is not a problem :)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

johnny123
04-09-2002, 03:02 PM
where in NY are you from?

IceRgrrl
04-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Orange: Yes! Having the stuff to make it easier to eat properly makes a HUGE difference :)

johnny123: upstate in the Finger Lakes region, between Buffalo and Syracuse, south of Rochester

IceRgrrl
04-09-2002, 03:38 PM

3 mile run w/ 10 min warmup and cooldown. Moderate, comfortable pace, avg. HR = 145 bpm

This was mainly a recovery run, to loosen everything up from the weekend hockey and to test out my new old running shoes ;) (same brand, updated model of the old ones).

Food for today:
M1: pumperknickel bagel w/PB, coffee + 2% milk
M2: banana (between morning classes)
M3: lean roast beef on ww bread, vegetables
M4: vegetable bean soup w/pasta
M5: cantelope & strawberries
M6: chicken breast, pasta +sauce, broccoli

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Can you not chug down some nuts as well with meal 2?

A banana alone seems real light. I'd be clammin' for food within ten minutes!

IceRgrrl
04-09-2002, 03:58 PM
It's 10 min. between two 1.5 hour classes, so I'm lucky I get the apple down...but you're right, by the time Meal 3 comes around, I'm starving!

Total cals: about 2100, roughly 40/30/30

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-09-2002, 04:01 PM
10 mnutes is more than enough time!

Just carry a little bag of cashews with you and scran them along with your fruit.

IceRgrrl
04-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Very well, then...I'll give it a go. What's one more container when I'm already hauling around at least 3-4 every day? ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Exactly. :)

In fact, you don't even need a container for them. Just use a little freezer or sandwich bag. That'll do the trick.

Paul Stagg
04-09-2002, 08:18 PM
I ate less calories than you today.

I'd kill for a cashew.

I hate dieting.

IceRgrrl
04-10-2002, 06:47 AM
Yes, dieting sucks...that's why I try to avoid it as much as possible ;)

Have a cashew for me, Paul!

IceRgrrl
04-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Wednesday

Chest/shd/tri's

HS decline press:
Loaded on 10 more pounds than last time, just for fun. And it was good...surprise!
5 x 120#, 6 x 110#, 15 x 70#

Assisted dips:
Decided to go heavier on these too since I had so much fun on the declines.
6 x -35#, 7 x -35#, 11 x -50#

Overhead DB press:
I decided to go a little lighter on these for two reasons, a) I really need to get a spotter to be able to push it AND make sure that I don't tweak my shoulder, and b) my tri's were tired after the extra effort on dips.
7 x 20# DB's, 5 x 20# DB's, 10 x 15# DB's

CG bench:
Tri's were now very fatigued. But it still felt good.
5 x 50#, 6 x 50#, 7 x 45#

I'm very happy that I've been getting really good workouts despite this being hockey frenzy month. I'm concentrating on getting more sleep and eating well for recovery as well as my usual hot tub therapy ;)

Got another invite to yet another hockey tournament this weekend, so that makes it 5 in 5 weekends...I love April! :D

Food for today:
M1: ww toast w/ low sugar marmalade (preworkout)
M2: rice cereal w/ skim milk (post workout)
M3: 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg, ww toast, ls marmalade
M4: vegetable gumbo w/ beans, rice, and turkey sausage
M5: vegetable soup & tuna
M6: lean roast beef on ww bread
M7: egg white omelette w/ peppers & onions

Approx. 2100 cals, 40/30/30

IceRgrrl
04-11-2002, 05:54 AM
Wow. I am really sore this morning...I could feel it starting even last night. It feels SO good though :)

Food for today:
M1: pumpernickel bagel + PB, coffee + skim milk
M2: lean roast beef on ww bread
M3: tuna + cottage cheese
M4: 2 wheat pitas, red pepper, hummus, olives
M5: turkey Italian sausage, sauerkraut, asparagus
M6:?

the doc
04-11-2002, 06:45 AM
Wow. I am really sore this morning...I could feel it starting even last night. It feels SO good though

icerrr you are so ace ;)

the doc
04-11-2002, 06:46 AM
most women i know would never say this much less exercise at all :rolleyes:

IceRgrrl
04-11-2002, 06:00 PM
LOL! Thanks doc...you're a peach ;)

I like being active...it's just always been a habit.

IceRgrrl
04-11-2002, 06:03 PM

2 mile run, quicker pace, avg. HR = 150 bpm. That'll be it for the rest of the week since I have 4 tournament games this weekend plus Saturday morning hockey.

It was almost 70 degrees today and sunny! I got home from school/grocery run by 1:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon sitting outside reading and playing with my dogs :)

ElPietro
04-11-2002, 08:02 PM
I got home from school/grocery run by 1:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon sitting outside reading and playing with my dogs :)

WTF do you ever work a full day? :swear:

IceRgrrl
04-12-2002, 07:30 AM

WTF do you ever work a full day? :swear:

Of course I do :) ...in fact, I work long days on M/Tu/W (12+ hours) and then Th/F are lighter. I also do a lot of work on the weekends (grading, making up exams and quizzes, typing up class activities, working on lecture notes/example problems, etc.) It's a lot of work, it's just a less structured environment. I really like not having to be in a certain place from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or whatever. As long as I show up for office hours and classes, how/where I get my other stuff done is up to me. It rocks!

IceRgrrl
04-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Friday: rest day, hockey game in p.m.

Food for today:
M1: 4 whites, 1 whole egg +peppers/onions/feta/ww toast
M2: vegetable soup, green beans, peanuts
M3: PB & J on whole wheat
M4: tuna & cottage cheese, wheat tortilla, hummus
M5: whole wheat pita, hummus
M6: turkey Italian sausage, pasta, asparagus
M7: one beer, pasta/chicken

IceRgrrl
04-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Saturday: hockey, hockey, hockey...

M1: 2 ww toast w/PB, coffee

1.5 hours of pick-up hockey with my usual group of guys at 8:30 a.m. followed by going out for breakfast

M2: egg sandwich w/ham on a bagel, hash browns, o.j.

Tournament game #2 at noon.

M3: homemade pizza w/tomato sauce, onion, green peppers, hot peppers, lean turkey sausage, small amount of mozzarella cheese

M4: PB& J, orange

Tournament game #3 at 8:30 p.m.

M5: sloppy joes made w/ground turkey over ww bread, green beans

Hot tub :) I felt pleasantly tired but not exhausted. Probably could have/should have eaten more today considering level of activity...

IceRgrrl
04-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Sunday:

M1: oatmeal w/PB, coffee
M2: chicken, pasta
M3: leftover turkey sloppy joe mix w/o bread

Tournament game #4 at 3:30 p.m.

M4: grilled chicken sandwich, french fries, 2 beers
M5: ice cream

I'm off to the hot tub...it's been a long weekend and though I don't feel sore or wrecked, I do feel tired. My legs felt lead-like when I had to go upstairs.

IceRgrrl
04-15-2002, 06:32 AM
Monday: rest/recovery

Wow. I'm not sore at all but I'm feeling really flat this morning. No appetite, sleepy (I could have just slept all morning), and my legs have no spring. Today is most definitely a rest day...still, it feels pretty damn good to be able to play that much in two and a half days and come out of it with nothing but a little fatigue.

The best part is that I know after a day or two of good rest and good food, I'm going to be bursting with energy and feel 8 ft. tall and bulletproof. :) By the end of the week, I'm going to be itching to do something to somebody...

AND I'm going to make sure I catch up on food. According to the calculators I checked, I burned about 2000 calories on hockey this weekend and though I ate fairly cleanly and didn't drink very much (for a hockey weekend), I should have gotten in some more cals. I packed a big sack of food that I hauled into work this morning so I'm going to make sure I eat every 3-4 hours.

Monday is such a bummer... :p

Food for today:
M1: 4 whites/1 egg/feta cheese, 2 ww toast
M2: PB&J on ww
M3: chicken/pasta
M4: leftover turkey sloppy joe mix (no bread)
M5: PB&J
M6: vegetable soup w/ pasta, green beans

IceRgrrl
04-16-2002, 12:54 PM
So...my rest and recovery was not to be. I spent last night in the emergency room with my boyfriend...they thought he had menengitis, which thank God, he doesn't...but it was a long night. I brought him in around 11 last night and we got home this morning at 9:00 a.m.

I cancelled my morning classes and slept for about 3 hours and now I'm at school for some advising appointments and one more class. Thanks to the miracle of Diet Coke and Xenadrine, I'm still functioning, but in that trippy sleep-deprivation, adrenaline backlash fog.

He's going to be all right, just need to keep giving him drugs and fluids at regular intervals...quite a scarey night overall though.

I ate a baloney sandwich and a hard boiled egg so far today...must find some real food...

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Damn, wish him well from all of us! :)

Before christmas my sister's boyfriend (also a close family friend) was taken into hospital with suspected menengitis. Thank god it wasn't tho. it's scary tho - not to mention he was working in Germany at the time and was the only person there ie he had no one for support other than sneaking out of intensive care to use his mobile to phone home. At least he has you eh? :)

IceRgrrl
04-16-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks, CD :) Glad to hear that your sister's bf made it okay...that would be really frightening, being in a foreign location alone with a possible serious illness!

And yup, that was me last night, shuttling between the ER and outside to phone the insurance company, the doctor, my work, his family, etc...thank goodness for mobile phones.

Somebody finally felt sorry for me around 4:00 a.m. and found me a spare bed to try and sleep in...but I was too wound/worried to fall asleep...

But there were some interesting cases coming in that night...a few cocaine patients, a couple of jail patients in cuffs accompanied by guards, a teenage kid who took a few too many Vicodins, and sadly, a 17-year old girl who got drunk, fell down and hit her head, and died from the head injury/bleeding.

Weird stuff...

Franco
04-17-2002, 04:56 AM
Wish him well from all of us and thank god it was not menengitis

IceRgrrl
04-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Thanks FAngel...all's well that ends well, I suppose :)

IceRgrrl
04-22-2002, 11:17 AM
So...another hockey weekend gone and past, the 4th of 5.

This one was the best so far for two reasons:

a) My team won the whole damn thing even though we had to play TEN 5 minutes overtime periods with 3-on-3 to advance to the finals (we played more overtime than regulation). Myself and my two pals contributed greatly to this effort despite averaging 3 hours of sleep and lot of partying each night we were there. When in Canada, you have to try and blend in with the culture..LOL!

b) ElPietro and I had a heck of a weekend :) It started out with two friends of mine and two of his going out on Thursday night that didn't end until about 6 a.m. on Friday. Highlights included watching the Leafs game, a wild ride to some casino in the middle of nowhere at 1:00 a.m., after hours with our stash of duty-free alcohol and a blender at the hotel when we got back around 3:30, and we even got to see the sun start to come up before everyone finally crashed...that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

I'll leave the rest open for your commentary and specific questions ;)

PowerManDL
04-22-2002, 11:28 AM
I'll leave the rest open for your commentary and specific questions ;)

Dangerous, dangerous words here, miss.

ElPietro
04-22-2002, 11:31 AM
ElPietro and I had a heck of a weekend :)

:hump:

whoops, I mean :nod: :angel:

Much time was spent in the hotel room, yet very little sleep ocurred. :eek:

Ok, ok, enough damage to the young ladies reputation for one post. ;) It was a great weekend...Icer and her friends came up thursday night and as a result of all the fun and frolic yours truly had to call in sick on friday morning to actually get some sleep. She had a great tournament and their team deserved to win from what I saw. It's amazing that with all the booze and lack of sleep she was able to perform so admirably. (I'm talking about hockey of course :p)

Icer and her friends represented the US quite well in the partying department, and it seems each time she comes to visit we stay out later and later each time. :D

IceRgrrl
04-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Icer and her friends represented the US quite well in the partying department, and it seems each time she comes to visit we stay out later and later each time. :D

I will ignore the first part of that post for now and simply address the impressive fact that three American women outdrank three Canadian guys. :eek: And I thought that we were all out of practice from our college days...

ElPietro
04-22-2002, 11:37 AM
You only think you outdrank us because you were to drunk to count properly young lady...

IceRgrrl
04-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Heh...when the rest of our team arrived on Friday, they were concerned that the three of us were having such a good time before the tournament started...then after a few games they were telling us to keep up whatever it was that we were doing because it was working! Superstitious hockey players...

IceRgrrl
04-23-2002, 05:59 AM

My sleep schedule is SO screwed up...I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and could not get back to sleep, so I decided to start the day with a 4 mile run. It was &$%@ing cold outside this morning too...a dusting of snow on the ground. This after a few days of 80+ degrees last week...yeesh.

Alex.V
04-23-2002, 06:52 AM
One word: Valium.

IceRgrrl
04-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Well, I often have trouble sleeping/staying asleep, so though that would be a good solution in the short-term, I'd end up a Valium addict in the long term...

I had to get up at 6:00 anyway, so by 5:00 I just said the hell with it and got out for a run...

Celestial
04-23-2002, 09:50 AM
Valium is amazing stuff! LOL I guess I am a recovered addict. I get addicted to it when I have bad anxiety.

Jane
04-23-2002, 10:15 AM
My grandmother has a drawer full of valium. You want some?

PowerManDL
04-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Get to class young lady!

IceRgrrl
04-23-2002, 10:50 AM
What's with the Valium pushing all of a sudden? ;)

I have enough bad influences to deal with...

IceRgrrl
04-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Wednesday: back/bi's

The gym was pretty empty this morning...always a good thing :) My workouts have been fewer this month but the ones that I've been getting in have been very, very good. My last back/bi workout was more than 2 weeks ago and I progressed on nearly everything...I have more energy these days than I know what to do with.

Pullups:
Five good 30 second negatives. The first one felt incredibly good, the second almost as good, the third was work, was shaking like mad on the fourth, and barely made it through the fifth. Nice.

DB row:
Some fool was camped out on the t-bar row and I lack patience so I decided to do these.
8 x 35#, 6 x 40#, 5 x 40#, 15 x 25#

BB shrug:
I think I'm going to have to take CD's suggestion and get some straps. My grip is limiting me more than my strength.
8 x 125#, 7 x 135#, 6 x 135#, 12 x 120#

BB bicep curl:
8 x 40#, 6 x 40#, 7 x 35#

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-24-2002, 07:14 AM
30 seconds each rep?!!!!!!

IceRgrrl
04-24-2002, 07:18 AM
Yes. The clock is on the wall directly in front of me so I can watch the big red second hand ticking by...it moves very slowly sometimes. ;)

ElPietro
04-24-2002, 07:23 AM
Wow your an animal. Great session. I think I saw a guy at my gym using 40s for db rows yesterday. :D 30 seconds negatives is retardedly impressive as well. :thumbup:

Do you do grip work now? I think I'm in the same boat as you are, just that I really don't wanna hafta use straps.

IceRgrrl
04-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Thanks :) I've been working hard at it...but it still frustrates me to the point of insanity that I can't do regular pullups yet.

To be honest, the last rep was probably less than 30 sec...I think everything finally gave out before the damn second hand got to where it was supposed to.

IceRgrrl
04-25-2002, 07:29 AM

First of all...damn, I'm sore from yesterday's workout. My arms and back ache all over...:) Brushing my hair this morning was wonderfully painful.

And this morning I ran for an hour before I finally decided that I wasn't going to get tired and since I have a game tomorrow night, I should probably conserve some energy. I love it when I feel like I could go forever...

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-25-2002, 07:31 AM
I bet your boyfriend does too! ;)

How is he, by the way?

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 06:19 AM
He's fine...they still can't figure out what he had...maybe a bad flu-like virus or something.

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 06:28 AM
Monday: post-hockey recovery

The last of the 5 tournaments is over. This last one was a big one in Lake Placid...26 teams from the US and Canada.

I was one of two women playing in the tournament so it was a physical challenge. I managed to hold my own most of the time and even got a checking penalty for nailing some guy in the corner during a race for the puck ;). I also got the crap beat out of me a few times and I have some really interesting bruises and aches this morning. Got a few indecent proposals while tussling in front of my net as well...good thing they make me laugh instead of intimidating me. :D

My team did pretty well, got eliminated in the semis, but we were up against some very good competition. They had a professional sports photographer working the games and I ordered a few good action shots...I'll scan and post them when they come in.

I can feel that it's all caught up to me though. I'm very fatigued and looking forward to slowing down a little and resting up. I'm going to get back to eating better this week and after a few days of rest and hot tub, it's back to my usual lifting/running routine.

Food for today:
M1: 1 egg + 5 whites, feta cheese, coffee
M2: PB & J on wheat
M3: vegetable soup, tuna, cottage cheese,
M4: same as M3
M5: chicken, wild rice, asparagus

the doc
04-29-2002, 07:06 AM
ahhh hot tub

I'll join ya few minutes :D

Icerrr i dont know about you but i can tell I am not a teenager anymore. I'd say you're in the same boat?

*buys stock in bengay and ibuprofin manufacturers*

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 07:14 AM
Ha ha...you're a smooth one, doc :)

You know, I haven't really felt many ill effects until this last weekend, probably due to the fact that the fatigue builds up over time, and that this was the most intense, most physical tournament...lots of really good, big players who played the body a lot. Even if you're a teenager, it's going to hurt the next day, though the recovery may be faster, true.

It's snowing here this morning but I'm wearing sandals because they are the only shoes that don't hurt the bruises on my feet and ankles from blocking slapshots. I also stepped into the goal when our goalie went down outside of the net and blocked a few shots with various parts of my body (don't ask). It's just part of the game...I hurt this morning, but it was worth it :)

the doc
04-29-2002, 07:25 AM
Well hmmm I can provide the needed message to all your aching body parts

hehe

Seriously though, Kudos to your hockey playing!@ I find it amazing you play in a mixed league. I would think some of those dudes would outweight you by a lot! Are you as mean and full of cheap-shots as all of the other hockey players?...lol. Congrats on the tourney as well- looks like you made it to the latter/last round

oh and i rub feet as well ;)

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks doc. I like playing with the guys better because I enjoy the more physical game. The harder it is, the better I play...it's just my competitive nature.

Usually the best thing that can happen to me is to get hit or hit someone right at the beginning of the game...then everything clicks in and I'm "on."

ElPietro
04-29-2002, 08:39 AM
I like playing with the guys better because I enjoy the more physical game. The harder it is, the better

:nod:

IceRgrrl
04-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Are we still talking about hockey? Not to question your angelic nature, Pietro....

the doc
04-29-2002, 10:37 AM
lol@elpietro

IceRgrrl
04-30-2002, 10:41 AM

Interval run:
10 min. slow jog (warm-up)
18 min. of intervals: 1 min. fast run, 1 min. slow jog
10 min. slow jog (cool down)

Food for today:
M1: pumpernickel bagel w/PB, coffee
M2: 1/2 turkey sub sandwich
M3: vegetable soup, peanuts
M4: other 1/2 turkey sub sandwich, veggies
M5: vegetable soup, peanuts
M6: chicken,black beans, peppers, onions on wheat tortilla

IceRgrrl
05-01-2002, 07:34 AM
Wednesday: rest day

Normally today would be the first lifting day of the week, but I decided to rest. I said I was going to rest and recharge for a bit now that the hockey whirlwind is over, and then I completely ignored my own advice and went running yesterday...and I could really tell I was not 100%. I did it more out of habit/restlessness than anything else, but it was not a quality effort. It's just momentum, I think. I've been going so fast for so long that it's hard for me to just slow down.

Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'll be stocking up on good foods again...it's been hit and miss lately b/c I haven't had the weekends to cook/prepare stuff. The farm around the corner from me has fresh asparagus already so I'm enjoying the first real vegetables of the season...yum! I like to boil a big bunch for just 2-3 minutes, dump them in a pie plate, and eat them with my fingers, like french fries :)

I've been spending long days at work this week too (like 8 am to 9 or 10 pm)...catching up and getting ready for the big push to finals week and the end of the semester...only 3 weeks left.

Things to look forward to:
A big box of books should be en route to me from powells.com. I will have to try to stay out of it until classes are over, but then I'm going on a reading binge.

I'm going to visit my best friend at the end of May in Chicago. As time goes by, I value more and more someone who I can not talk to for 6 months at a time, then pick up exactly where we left off and discuss life, the universe, and everything. This is one of the few people I can count on to listen to all my strange ideas and tell me what I need to hear--the good, the bad, and the ugly-- with no bullshit and no soft-peddling, even when I don't want to hear it...and vice versa.

Hockey camp in June. One whole week of 2 multi-hour ice sessions per day, off-ice instruction, and a game every night. This is my favorite week of the whole year, I think.

ElPietro
05-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Hockey camp in June. One whole week of 2 multi-hour ice sessions per day, off-ice instruction, and a game every night. This is my favorite week of the whole year, I think.

Wow, that sounds really cool. :thumbup:

IceRgrrl
05-01-2002, 10:01 AM
It IS a really cool experience. It's up in Lake Placid, at the Olympic Center, and Lake Placid in the summer is gorgeous. When I'm not napping between sessions, there's lots to do :)

The instructors/coaches are really good...lots of college, pro, European coaches and ex-players. They do a lot of individual and team skills stuff as well as video replay so that you can see what you're doing and improve or correct it. I always learn a lot and come back with good stuff to work on.

heathj
05-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Wow, what a coincidence..I'm going on vacation in June up to Lake Placid...

IceRgrrl
05-01-2002, 12:16 PM
Won't you still be in high school in June? ;)

xraygirl
05-03-2002, 04:56 AM
I know what you're talking about. I way overdid it during the last few weeks and finally had to take a few days off. Take care of yourself or it's just not fun anymore. :D

IceRgrrl
05-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Yeah, x...I'm still feeling it. My tendency is usual to overdo...getting better at learning when to rest up a little though :)

IceRgrrl
05-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Saturday: morning hockey :)

We played from 8-10 this morning with about 14 guys and two goalies...so the breaks were short and far between, but we had a really good time. Lots of really good players showed up today so it was faster than usual.

It's supposed to be on the warm and sunny side here today so I just might recover by sitting outside (yay!) and working on exams (boo!). ;)

the doc
05-04-2002, 10:21 AM
whew you should be all sore after that!
how 'bout joining me in a hot tub and some bubbly?

those exams will grade themselves ;)
( i hate grading)

IceRgrrl
05-04-2002, 12:18 PM
LOL! Well, no I'm not actually...but I appreciate the offer :)

I hate grading too, especially this time of year when everyone's fate is pretty much sealed anyways. At least I can be outside in the sun today, pretending that it's already summer!

IceRgrrl
05-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Sunday: hockey/gym

One of my friends called me to play hockey this morning and of course I couldn't say no...but it was only for an hour. ;)

Also went to the gym this morning for a light weight workout--bench press, DB flyes, tricep pressdown, abs--just to get some activity and get back into lifting regularly.

After a few nice days, I see that the "I'm gonna get in shape for summer!" crowd has turned out at the gym. Closely resembling the "I'm going to lose weight this year" New Year's crowd, they will clog up the floor and irritate me until they disappear in a few weeks. Bah...

On the plus side, my gym just replaced all their treadmills with really nice brand new ones that have two little user-controlled fans mounted on the front console....very, very good for those of us who tend to overheat easily. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-05-2002, 10:21 AM
My gym was boiling today. I was doing squats too :eek:

I had to peel the shirt off my back afterwards...

Reinier
05-05-2002, 11:34 AM
"After a few nice days, I see that the "I'm gonna get in shape for summer!" crowd has turned out at the gym. Closely resembling the "I'm going to lose weight this year" New Year's crowd, they will clog up the floor and irritate me until they disappear in a few weeks. Bah... "

*understands*

worst thing is part of them is the same every year

IceRgrrl
05-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Yes, and most of them look the same or worse every year...

the doc
05-05-2002, 04:27 PM
heh... Its ok icerrr, that crowd sees you and says "damn i wish i had a body like hers" ;)

my gymn is like a ghost town right now. All the undergrads are gone :clap:

ElPietro
05-05-2002, 07:10 PM
I would like to apologize on behalf of all of those people. :(

IceRgrrl
05-05-2002, 07:52 PM
LOL! I don't think you need to take responsibility for all the buttheads of the world, especially not the overweight housewives and middle-aged businessmen... ;)

IceRgrrl
05-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by the doc
heh... Its ok icerrr, that crowd sees you and says "damn i wish i had a body like hers" ;)

my gymn is like a ghost town right now. All the undergrads are gone :clap:

Hah. Actually I've had a complete stranger tell me that I should ease up on the leg exercises because my thighs are getting "grossly big."

:rolleyes:

Where do these people learn their manners???

Blood&Iron
05-05-2002, 07:55 PM

Hah. Actually I've had a complete stranger tell me that I should ease up on the leg exercises because my thighs are getting "grossly big."

Pictures please, so we in the viewing audience can confirm or deny this.

the doc
05-05-2002, 08:18 PM

:omg: what did you say back to that?

most of the females at my gym need to be told they're "grossly tiny"
...lol