Not sure where to begin...so here's what I've been doing:

Day 1: chest/tri/shoulders
bb bench 6-8. 6-8. 12-15
dips: 8, 8, 8
mil. press, 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
db press 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
close-grip bench 6-8, 6-8, 12-15

Day 2: back, bi
pullups (still doing assisted, but almost there to full BW)
6, 6, 6
row (t-bar or bb) 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
shrug 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
bb curl 6-8, 6-8, 12-15

Day 3: legs
squat 6-8. 6-8, 12-15
SLDL 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
leg press 6-8, 6-8, 12-15
calf press (seated or standing ) 10, 10, 15
I also occasionally mix in some lunges or leg curls for variety

Cardio: 3-4 times per week; running/biking/hockey

Over the last few weeks, this routine has been working very well for me. I've been on a mini-bulk so I've been eating more than usual, but now going on a 2 week mini-cut--going on vacation in 2 weeks and want to look presentable on the beach :) --so I'm not sure what to change other than food intake and starting up on ECA again.

I'm thinking for my next split I'll go to 4xweek with push/pull, which is my favorite.

heathj
07-09-2001, 03:42 PM
mini-bulk and mini-cut for a mini-girl :)

IceRgrrl
07-09-2001, 04:48 PM
Well, at 5'10" I may not quite be "mini." :D

Seriously though, I've found that shorter cycles work better for me...might have something to do with differences between male and female muscle growth/fat storage...

Tryska
07-09-2001, 07:14 PM
Yay...you started a journal...:D

looks good so far!

Chris Rodgers
07-09-2001, 09:45 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but that routine is awesome! Most guys could gain a lot better on a routine like yours, than their own. I have never noticed a girl in a gym doing your type of workout. Will you marry me? ;)

Have fun on vacation! :D

Cackerot69
07-09-2001, 10:13 PM
I was gonna comment on that routine as well, but I was caring enough not to fook up her journal...

Too late now you degenerates.

IceRgrrl
07-10-2001, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys (and Tryska)...I do appreciate your input and humor (I think :) ). I've picked up a lot of good info here and am trying to work it into my routine.

...anyway, y'all cheered me up b/c I had a mediocre workout this morning...I'm blaming it on very bad sleep and adjusting to the cutting diet/ECA.

Gyno Rhino
07-10-2001, 09:43 AM
You're 5'10"? And you can do BW pullups? Or close to it? Screw marrying Latty, I wanna be your man! I luv tall womyn. Sorry for messing up your journal, but it would really help us all watch your progress if you posted pics, ye know.. *duck*

IceRgrrl
07-10-2001, 10:11 AM
You are all giving me a big head :) Pictures? Um, not quite sure about that...something about the dangers of pcis floating around on the internet :eek:

Can't quite do BW pullups yet, but I am bound and determined to be able to do them by the end of the summer!

IceRgrrl
07-12-2001, 12:25 PM
MUCH better workout today...

Did chest/shoulders/tris. I decided to do my "bench press" on the Hammer Strength flat bench machine b/c I wanted to really push it and since I'm without a training partner or spotter, I had to compromise. The HS bench is the least "machine-like" of the machines.

Anyway, it worked out quite well...I was able to pile on the weight and push it until I saw stars (LOL!).

Shoulders felt a little weak today, but that's probably b/c of the hard bench. Made some gains on the dips though...

After two nights of terrible sleep, I finally got some decent rest last night and I think that's why I feel a lot better today. So far diet has been very good, although now that I'm cutting, I'm craving all kinds of things I usually don't even want(?). Went to the supp warehouse today and bought a box of Solid Protein (choc PB) bars...my favorite.

IceRgrrl
07-14-2001, 10:16 AM
Leg day today:

Squats: knee is bothering me today, had to cut it short rather than risk form

SLDL: went a little heavier to make up for the short squat sets; felt good.

Leg press: went a little heavier again to make up for the short squat sets; stretched in between sets.

Calf press: lightened up a little b/c I'm running hills tomorrow and that always hits my calves big time.

Sleep: okay, dogs had to go out in the middle of night...took me quite a while to fall back asleep

Diet: yesterday wasn't so good but I'll just chalk it up as this week's cheat day.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2001, 10:48 AM
Do you ride a bike or jog for a leg warm up?

I've found it to be a good ligaments warmer.

IceRgrrl
07-14-2001, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I actually rode my bike to the gym...it's about 4 miles one way, so makes a nice warm-up/cool down and saves me $$$ on petrol :)

IceRgrrl
07-16-2001, 04:22 PM
Cardio day today...attempted it yesterday, but legs were still dead from Saturday's workout. My knee was a little puffy as well, so I ditched the cardio until today.

15 min. easy run to warm-up

Intervals: 2 min. at 165-175 bpm
recover to 125 bpm
(repeat for 7 cycles)

15 min. walk to cool down

Felt MUCH better today. I obviously need a day to recover from the leg workout.

Diet: Have been shooting for about 1700 cals, but I think I'm going to have to up it a little b/c I've felt weak and unenergetic the last week or so.

Supps: flaxseed oil and ECA (if it doesn't keep me up all night)

IceRgrrl
07-17-2001, 08:39 AM
Back and bi's this morning...

Tested my max. strength on the pullups (then did 2 wokring sets). I could do 1 rep with 30 lbs. assistance. I weighed in at 149 this morning, so that means I'm able to hoist about 120 lbs...whoo hoo! This is big time progress for me. I'm determined to get to those BW pullups!

Rows, shrugs, bicep curls were a little tough today after the all-out effort on the pullups.

Sleep is still a problem, diet is good.

IceRgrrl
07-18-2001, 04:12 PM
Cardio today; waited till later in the day b/c it's hot outside today.

3 mile run; ho hum.

Diet: v. good. Tuna on flatbread for breakfast, venison burgers, salad, green beans for lunch; yogurt/protein powder and protein bar for snacks, meatballs, sauce, a little pasta and salad for dinner.

Sleep: much better since giving up on the ECA for now.

heathj
07-18-2001, 05:50 PM
"pasta sauce"

bahahhaha :p sorry had to re-bring it up :)

IceRgrrl
07-20-2001, 12:48 PM
Swapped Thurs./Fri. workouts b/c I wanted to hit the gym on Friday. Friday's are great...no people. Monday's are awful, tons of people feeling guilty about their weekends.

Thurs: 3 mile run (too damn hot outside...ran right down the hill when I got home and jumped in the pool).

Fri: chest/shoulders/tris
V. good. Putting on reps on the bench, almost time to raise the weight again.

Shoulders are still my weakest point, but making progress w/current routine.

Tri's are visibly different...close-grip bench is really hitting them.

Was dragged out shopping w/ a friend this week for sorta formal dress for upcoming event (I HATE shopping). Shopping sucked, as always, but both my friend and the saleswoman who was helping up remarked on my back/shoulder definition. Ended up buying strapless, backless dress for event. :) All those *&$%^ pullups must be doing something...

Diet sucked these last few days due to PMS carb cravings and bloating...*&$%@$ female hormones.

IceRgrrl
07-21-2001, 02:11 PM
Legs today. I'm dropping the squats for awhile until I can get some feedback on my biomechanical issues...the knee puffiness last week was the kicker.

So, I went with leg press, lunges, SLDL, and finished up with calves. The lunges were a good add...haven't done them in awhile and I really felt them in my quads and butt.

My legs were feeling shaky as I left the gym and I know I'll be feeling it tomorrow.

IceRgrrl
07-23-2001, 04:36 PM
Back and bi's:

Pullups: 2 sets of triples w/40 lbs. assistance. A few weeks ago 1 rep w/40 lbs. was my max...happy with progress. Last set was negative reps (thank Belial!).

Rows: tried the Hammer Strength row machines as mentioned in the row thread last week. Nice...

Shrugs: it's always amazing to me how strong these muscles are....100 lbs. today for shrugs :)

Bicep curl: bi's were tired from pullups and new rows...but managed to do one more rep than last time nonetheless

Cardio: Intervals tonight after it cools down outside. I usually alternate lifting days w/ cardio days, but since I'm going on vacation later this week, I gotta double up to get everything in before I leave.

IceRgrrl
07-26-2001, 04:33 AM
Last two workouts before vacation:

chest/shd/tris: Added weight on everything today. Felt good to do that...

legs: repeat of last leg workout w/lunges substituted for squats. Those heavy lunges are really kicking my behind, in a good way.

I'm actually looking forward to the week off while I'm away. I was starting to feel like I needed a short break, so it comes at a good time.

IceRgrrl
08-01-2001, 01:57 PM
Back to the gym after a week of vacation. Started with chest/shd tris b/c I felt like it :)

Chest: got some extra reps on my bench press...here's to a rest week!

Shoulders felt strong as well, but triceps were a lagging a little, perhaps tired from extra effort on bench.

Overall, I'm feeling like the week off did me some good and gave me a chance to re-motivate...looking forward to the rest of the week's workouts.

IceRgrrl
08-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Cardio: 3 mile run (hot and humid...ugh)

IceRgrrl
08-03-2001, 09:19 AM
Back/bi's today.

Had to do pulldowns instead of pullups b/c two ppl were hogging the pullup area and I was crunched for time. I'd much rather do pullups, but sometimes you just gotta deal. I've def gotten stronger since the last time I did pulldowns, so that was a boost.

Rows were okay, as were shrugs, but my biceps curls sucked today...maybe b/c of the pulldowns? I don't know.

Not the best workout, but I got through it. Wasn't able to add reps today, which I've been doing regularly but it just might be an off day.

Bleh.

Hockey practice starts up tomorrow a.m. so leg day may have to wait until Monday.

IceRgrrl
08-06-2001, 10:27 AM
Leg day today. STILL feeling the effects of Satruday's 2-hour skate. It's funny how no matter how much lifting and running you do, that first day of hard skating feels like s-h-*-t. At least my buddies who haven't been working out felt worse...

Leg press: one step back from the last leg day (before vacation). I think it's a combo of time between workouts and lingering fatigue. I just decided to let go of the numbers and go to the max intensity that I was capable of today.

Lunges: These actually were good, an improvement even over the last workout. Odd, but I needed *something* good to hang onto for this day :)

Leg curls: swapped the SLDL for these, mainly b/c I worked out at my friend's gym today and there was a high concentration of creepy people...didn't feel like bending over w/ my butt in the air in front of an audience today, LOL!....(usually don't give a hoot, but...I'll go with the vibe). Anyway, I have fond memories of endless, painful leg curls during rehab and wanted to relive it...yeah, right.

Calf press: Good burn. Calves never seem to have a bad day.

Felt that shaky, noodle-legs feeling on the way out of the gym, so at least I did that.

Diet: Cutting back to 1800 with about 40/40/20 for the next 2 weeks, mostly to reset after vacation and to prepare for the next mini-bulk, where I'm going to bump way up to 2700 for 2 weeks. It's hotter than hell and humid, which totally kills my appetite, so I might as well use it!

IceRgrrl
08-07-2001, 01:14 PM
Cardio today. It's too hot and humid to run my usual 3 miles outside, so I decided to give the treadmill some exercise (had to dust it off, literally...hasn't been used much since the snow melted).

My dog is so funny...whenever I run on the treadmill, she lays next to it and watches me the whole time, like she's trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I added in some "hills" to keep myself amused...I hate doing cardio when I'm dieting...no energy.

IceRgrrl
08-08-2001, 09:09 AM
Back/bi today:

Pullups: getting there; that goal of BW is in sight...

Row: narrow grip today; was able to add 2 reps to each set over the last time, which felt good.

Shrugs: did them w/dumbells today to give my wrists and forearms a little tweak...it worked.

Bicep curls: time to up the weight a little; got my reps easily.

Dieting still sucks...but it really hits home the importance of eating good stuff.

IceRgrrl
08-09-2001, 12:52 PM
Cardio day. Again, too hot and humid for outdoor activity that doesn't involve immersion in water, so it was off to the gym for Spinning, 45 min, lots of intervals, avg. HR was 155 bpm.

Diet was easy today...too hot to eat much except salad, tuna, cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, watermelon, and other cold stuff.

IceRgrrl
08-10-2001, 10:21 AM
Chest/shd/tri day:

Bench: AMAZINGly added 4 whole reps today...don't have a clue why, but I'll take it!

Dips: Felt okay, a little tired from bench.

Shd. press: Added two reps on this one...whoo hoo. Decided to do only one shoulder exercise each workout, alternating mil. press and DB press. The two together were too much for my weakest body part.

Close-grip bench: added several reps; must just be a good day.

Diet: still keeping it around 1800 for another week; lost a few lbs. and am seeing more definition on my abs so I'm feeling good about the results.

IceRgrrl
08-11-2001, 01:37 PM
Hockey this morning...counts as major cardio, I guess.

Due to a scheduling mix-up we only had the ice for an hour and 15 min instead of the usual two....thank goodness. I was seriously tired as it was...a few more weeks before I feel like I'm in skating nirvana.

Today is officially a diet cheat day b/c I'm going to a wedding (one of my hockey buds is getting married), which means drinking and eating like a "normal" person...does dancing count as cardio?

IceRgrrl
08-13-2001, 06:05 PM
Leg day:

Leg press: squeaked out a few more reps; almost time to raise the weight.

Lunges: Upped the weight and still got the same # of reps as last time! I am seeing some serious improvement from the heavy lunges. My first set felt awesome, the second was work, and my legs were shaking like a leaf on the last. Cool :)

SLDL: Upped the weight, felt pretty good. I'm noticing increased strength in my forearms and grip from these and the shrugs.

Calf press: seated today; will up the weight next workout.

Diet: one more week at 1800 cal or below. Thank goodness b/c I'm getting tired of being hungry and having to budget cals...starting to fantasize about what I'll eat when it's time to up to 2700 :p

IceRgrrl
08-15-2001, 08:19 AM
Cardio: 45 min. run; started with one mile warm-up, then a series of intervals/recovery, finished with one mile cool-down.

About 4 miles total...my legs felt still tired and a little stiff from leg day when I started, but at the end/after the run, they felt much better.

IceRgrrl
08-16-2001, 02:14 PM
Back and bi's today:

Pullups: Added reps to my pullups. When I flipped back in my gym notebook to the June workouts, I can see that I've made good progress...very satisfying.

Rows: Added weight and still got more reps than I thought I would. :)

Shrugs: Got all my reps plus...time to add weight.

Bicep curls: Added a bunch of reps to my first set, so I added weight for the second set...which kicked my butt. The last set was a chore.

Diet: A few more days of undereating. I can't wait...so sick of protein and veggies and no dessert :mad:

IceRgrrl
08-17-2001, 02:31 PM
Friday: Cardio

45 min. of Spinning class; ripping good workout, lots of fun.

Took a rest day on Wednesday b/c I was feeling a little tapped out...which turned out to be a good idea. I've felt a lot more energetic yesterday and today. I've got to jockey around my workout schedule the rest of the week, but it was worth it.

IceRgrrl
08-19-2001, 01:24 PM
Saturday: hockey, hockey, hockey...two hours worth.

FINALLY...I felt energetic and wasn't dragging myself up and down the ice by the end. I was tired, but pleasantly so.

Scored two goals too :eek: and I'm a defenseman!

IceRgrrl
08-19-2001, 01:29 PM
Sunday: chest/shd/tri's

Usually this is my rest day, but since I took my rest day on Wednesday, my schedule is all fooked up this week. I hate the gym on weekend days...too many yahoo's.

BUT anyways, got my workout in.

Bench: raised the weight last time and added reps this time w/ the same weight. Loving that progress these days...

Dips: Added a rep.

Mil. press: added weight AND reps...whoo hoo! Alternating db press and mil. press was a good change.

Close-grip bench: got all my reps plus some...time to raise the weight.

Good workout. Still kinda pumped from hockey yesterday AND started my 2 weeks of overeating yesterday....hooray! A little extra food (okay, a LOT) seems to have made a difference.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-19-2001, 01:34 PM
so you're dieting?

any particular reason or do you just wanna look reet sexy?

PowerManDL
08-19-2001, 01:36 PM
She already looks good naked.

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Are you having a fit or is it just a nervous twitch?

PowerManDL
08-19-2001, 01:42 PM
Damn booze

*does a little drunken jig in the middle of IceRgrrls journal*

tra la la la la

IceRgrrl
08-20-2001, 09:28 AM
You guys...too funny. Chigs, I've been alternating 2 weeks at 25% under maintenance cals with 2 weeks at 25% over.

This has worked well for me in the past as far as supporting muscles growth without putting on too much fat. Being female, I tend to put on fat easier/lose it harder than you guys do :mad:

PowerMan, I think I'll take that as a compliment IF you don't blame it on the booze ;)

IceRgrrl
08-20-2001, 09:37 AM
Leg day: my favorite !

Leg press: first set was awesome...added weight, got more reps than I was going for, but between sets I could feel a nagging knot in my lower back. I think it's from hockey on Saturday (my friend Big Louis' check, I believe). So I decided to be smart about it (signs of maturity/wisdom? Egad...). Went down in weight and upped the reps figuring I'd kill myself on lunges w/o involving my back.

Lunges: upped the weight AND the reps since I wimped out on the leg press. Finished the last set with trembling legs, head spinning, sweating like mad (they really need to bump up the A/C in my gym).

Leg curl: Since the lower back was being a problem today, I felt that SLDL's were not happening today. Tried the new Hammer Strength leg curl machine and decided I like it more than the usual. Better pivot point (for me anyway) and smoother/more consistent force curve.

Calf press: If there's any exercise more boring/un-impressive as calf press, I don't want to know about it.

Overall, good heavy workout despite the modifications b/c of my &*^$%# back. I hear the hot tub calling my name tonight :) and maybe I'll sleep on the floor...that always seems to help.

Diet: still feeling more energetic with more cals coming in...trying not to freak out that the scale has suddenly jumped 4 lbs...*hanging head shamelessly in light of girly fussing over scale*

IceRgrrl
08-22-2001, 07:22 AM
Tuesday: Cardio

3 mile run. Much more enjoyable now that it's not so hot. Took it easy today since I have a VO2 max test tomorrow for that study I'm participating in.

That will screw up my workout schedule...I'll have to move Wednesday's workout to Thursday, but I'll deal.

The fall semester starts next week so scheduling workouts is going to become more challenging anyways. Thank goodness my first class isn't until 1:00!

Alex.V
08-22-2001, 09:20 AM
Going for BW pull-ups this time? :D

IceRgrrl
08-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Getting there, Belial, getting there....slow but steady progress. It sucks that being female means you automatically have about 1/10 the testosterone of guys...so I deal with slow and steady :)

IceRgrrl
08-24-2001, 08:13 AM
Thursday: Chest/shd/tri day

Bench: Got almost enough reps to raise the weight again. One more workout and I think it will be time.

Dips: Steady progress, a few reps more than last workout.

DB press: Got all my reps plus, which was a surprise since shoulders are my weakest body part...time to raise the weight.

Close-grip bench: raised the weight from last time. Oy! I'll definitely be feeling those tomorrow.

Cardio: Spinning for 45 min. I took it easy and just used it as a recovery from the VO2 max test the day before (could feel the lingering fatigue).

IceRgrrl
08-26-2001, 10:30 AM
Saturday: back/bi's

Overall, a pretty flat workout...just felt off today, no energy, blah.

Pullups: Since I felt like crap and knew I wasn't going to be able to perform at my usual level, I decided to do them with an overhand grip and just concentrate on my back. A change is as good as a rest...or something like that. Haven't done a whole bunch of these in awhile (been using neutral or underhand grip b/c I'm going for BW) so it was "interesting." Right.

Rows: Got all my reps on the first set, so I raised the weight and pounded out the next two on pure concentration.

Shrugs: Didn't get any more reps than last time...I hate these bad days.

BB curls: Okay. Got a few more reps but it hurt to get there.

Just a sub-par day. I'll use Sunday to rest and then see how I feel on Monday. If my workout goes well, then I'll just chalk it up to a bad day, but if I still feel crappy, then I'll reassess.

Blah...

IceRgrrl
08-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Monday: Legs

Yes! A MUCH better workout than last time...whew. Must have just been an off day on Saturday b/c I had tons of energy and reps to burn today...

Leg press: Added weight and still got the 8 reps...I guess I need to add MORE weight.

Lunges: Added weight and really felt the extra, but still got more reps than I was going for...my legs were shaking like crazy on the last set.

SLDL: Started cautiously to see how my back felt, but since it felt okay, I went heavier and finished strong.

Seated calf press: Ho hum. I still say calves are boring, but I just keep on working them anyway ;)

I ran into a goalie at the gym that played on a team with me about 2 years ago...one of those where you keep looking at someone and they keep looking at you and then finally you remember where you know them from and you both laugh.

He was injured last year and just getting back to hockey so we talked about that and our workouts for awhile...until his girlfriend came over and gave me the evil eye and dragged him off somewhere....funny. :angel:

IceRgrrl
08-30-2001, 01:38 PM
Wenesday: back/bi's

Another so-so workout...I seem to be alternating one good day with one bad one this last week or so. But it could be stress-related as school started this week...(yeah, rationalization.)

Pullups: Eh...equaled the last "good" day I had but not what I was aiming for. I seem to be stuck...

Rows: Again, equaled the last good workout, but didn't feel really strong.

Shrugs: Upped the weight.

Bicep curls: Slight improvement over last workout. Nice to end on a positive note.

I'm going to give myself another week to adjust to the new schedule and get into the school groove and see how things are going. Not going to panic about plateauing quite yet...

IceRgrrl
09-01-2001, 10:50 AM
Friday: chest/shd/tri's

bench:
My workout buddy was out of town this morning, so I did my benching on the Hammer Strength flat bench machine. It was different, but a good option when I didn't want to get pinned...lol!
I was able to work with 20 lbs. more than when I last used this machine on 7/12.

dips:
Added reps to the point where I'm going to have to use less assistance. Yes, I'm still doing assisted dips, but I'm working my way up to BW dips (there are disadvantages to being my size...if I was one of those 100 lb. toothpicks, I would be able to do BW).

shd press:
Added a few reps. Although shoulders are my weak point, they are getting stronger, but not any bigger. I'm thinking about added some front raises...

close-grip bench:
Fatigued early on this one today.

IceRgrrl
09-01-2001, 10:53 AM
Saturday: hockey practice = cardio, interval style...but damn, it's a lot more fun !

IceRgrrl
09-03-2001, 01:22 PM
Monday: holiday!

Cardio: 3 mile run

Gym is closed for the holiday, so here's hoping that the extra day of rest and recovery means awesome workouts the rest of the week.

Today's holiday BBQ: kebabs

Mediterranean chicken w/ fennel, zucchini, yellow peppers, onions, tomato
Jamaican Jerk Beef w/ pineapple, hot peppers, onions
North African Lamb w/potatoes, green and red peppers, onions

Yum...and all with meat/veggies, my favorite.

vpy
09-03-2001, 01:28 PM
just wanted to give you a congrats on your hard work... I'm especially impressed with the almost-BW pullups.... if I could only transfer some of your dedication to my fiance......

IceRgrrl
09-03-2001, 03:09 PM
Thanks vpy :) Slow but steady progress...*sigh*. Can you tell that patience is not one of my virtues?

IceRgrrl
09-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Wednesday: Legs

Leg press: Whoo hoo! New personal best...425 for 10 reps with perfect form on my first working set. Was fried for the next two though, but it was cool.

Lunge: Despite my PB on the press, I added weight and still got 8 reps on the first set and 6 on the second. Took the weight down and did a 15 rep set for the last, which nearly made me cry.

SLDL: Haven't done these in awhile, so went a little lighter than the last time (weeks ago). Went down farther though and that felt good. I remember when it used to hurt to do that...

Calf press: Anti-climax of the workout, but got it done.

Awesome day at the gym. That little extra recovery over the holiday weekend did the trick!

IceRgrrl
09-06-2001, 07:04 PM
Thursday: Cardio

4 mile run + 1/2 mile warm-up and cooldown.

Running always helps after leg day...gets all the stiffness worked out :)

IceRgrrl
09-07-2001, 10:40 AM
Friday: back/bi's

Pullups: Decided to do these differently today...kinda wanted to see where I was at.
1st set: 7 x 50 lbs. assistance
2nd set: 4 x 40 lbs. assistance
3rd set: 2 x 30 lbs. assistance
Finished with a couple of slow negatives. I'm definitely progressing, since about a month ago, 1 rep w/ 30 lbs. assist was my max (with a light warm-up) and this time I was able to do 2 x 30 after two working sets.

Rear delt flye: Swapped the rows for this one b/c I was fried from the pullups and hadn't done the flyes for awhile.

Shrugs: 3 good sets with more weight than the last time.

Bicep curls: BB this time...wasn't too strong on these b/c of the effort on the pullups, but still managed to get a few more reps.

PowerManDL
09-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Me and the guys talked it over, and we want nude shots. Just to see your progress, of course.

IceRgrrl
09-08-2001, 02:07 PM
Powerman....tuttut Why do I suspect that your "interest" in my progress is not sincere?

;)

Saturday: 2 hr. hockey practice.

Alex.V
09-08-2001, 02:45 PM
How dare you, powerman?

*grabs bag of popcorn, waits for pics*

IceRgrrl
09-10-2001, 07:08 PM
Monday: chest/shd/tri's

Bench: Added one rep to the first set and two to the second set. Was burned out on the third but still equalled the 13 reps from last workout.

Dips: Added weight by dropping some of the assistance. Still got good # of reps.

Shd: skipped shoulder stuff today b/c my shoulder has really been acting up lately. I may have to quit the overhead stuff for awhile until it settles down. I've been making such good progress since the summer that I really don't want to be forced to take some time out...*keeping my fingers crossed*

Close-grip bench: Time to raise the weight. Repped out on all three sets this time.

IceRgrrl
09-13-2001, 03:44 PM
Thursday: 25 min. run

I finally roused myself enough to get outside and work off some agitation. Wednesday's half-assed attempt at a work out doesn't count so I'm not even posting it...it just wasn't the time or the place for me that morning.

Tomorrow morning I'll give it another go...

IceRgrrl
09-14-2001, 09:34 AM

Skipped legs and went to back/bi's b/c I have hockey tomorrow a.m. and doing legs the day before is not good.

Not the best workout I've ever had...too much energy going into emotional outlets and not sleeping well. But I got through it.

Pullups: decent but no progression

Rows: did low cable rows today for a change and had to up the weight more than I expected, so that's good.

Shrugs: did really slow ones with a long hold at the top. Def felt those.

Bicep curls: no progression, but worked 'em till they were rubber bands.

IceRgrrl
09-15-2001, 05:41 PM
Saturday: hockey

It felt good to totally exhaust myself. After 2 hours of skating, I went home and took a nap, the best sleep I've gotten since Monday.

Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing a 5K run that's taking place across town. For some reason, I feel like staying in motion...being at the gym is even too stationary.

IceRgrrl
09-17-2001, 09:00 AM
Sunday: 5K run

IceRgrrl
09-17-2001, 09:06 AM
Monday: Legs

I decided to mix things up today and do a completely different leg workout.

Hack squat: This one has a tendency to bother my knees so I only do it every once in awhile, but it's nice to see that I'm able to pile on more weight than the last time.

Leg curl: Okay. Finally settled on the adjustments to the seat and ankle pads that felt good for a natural range of motion, which really made a difference in how I felt the exercise in my hams.

Calf press: Lots more weight than last time. Felt good to progress on something this week.

Inner/outer thigh: Did the "girly" machines just for variety. Also the adductor motion is good for protecting against groin pulls that are common in hockey. It won't be much longer and I'll have to pass on this machine since I'm close to being able to work out with the whole stack of adjustable weights.

Still not back to feeling 100%, but working out is a good outlet right now.

I'm not ready for today to be Monday...

IceRgrrl
09-19-2001, 09:18 AM
Tuesday: 3 mile run on hilly terrain.

Cardio is definitely helping my stress level right now...

IceRgrrl
09-21-2001, 10:33 AM
Thursday: 3 mile run

I like cardio. I like ice cream after cardio even better :D

syntekz
09-21-2001, 10:36 AM
I need to start running again. I was up to running 2 miles at a time; I probably can barely run 1 mile now. My heart/lungs are wrecked.

IceRgrrl
09-21-2001, 10:39 AM

Pullups: 3 x 5-6 with 40-45# assistance. My sloppy shoulder is bugging me so I didn't lower myself all the way down (since that's where it started to hurt). This REALLY kept the muscles under heavy tension for the whole set...definitely a different type of intensity.

Rows: 3 x 6-8 with 70#, 1 x 15 with 55#. Did narrow-neutral grip cable rows today.

Shrugs: 3 x 6-8 with 120# barbell. My grip gives out before my traps...

Bicep curls: 2 x 7-8 with 45# BB, 1 x 12 with 35# BB. Bi's were really tired after those 3/4 ROM pullups...def felt it by the time I got to the bicep curls.

Workouts are getting back to normal again, slowly.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-21-2001, 10:42 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are your goals? where would you like to be in say one year and then say 5 years?

syntekz
09-21-2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
Shrugs: 3 x 6-8 with 120# barbell. My grip gives out before my traps...

For some reason my eyes made me read it as 120# dumbells. I was getting kind of scared. LOL.

IceRgrrl
09-21-2001, 10:55 AM
I was kinda scared about starting to post my lifts...figured at least you'd all get a good laugh out of it...

CD: I just don't have the genetics to put on much mass, so I'm focusing on strength, esp for sports. I'm happy with my lower body strength (my strong point) but my upper body lags behind...I also have one bad shoulder that holds me back from time to time.

MA: Yeesh...my grip is def not up to #120 DB, but thanks for the grins ;)

Just for perspective, I'm 5'10", 150 lbs, and about 19-20% body fat right now. I have a rather small frame (6" wrists, if that helps) and the fact that I've gotten this much muscle on up to this point has been an accomplishment!

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-21-2001, 11:00 AM
well done. Keep going. :)

IceRgrrl
09-22-2001, 04:42 PM
Saturday: hockey at 6:15 a.m....ugh. I had to get up at 5:15 to be at the rink and on the ice at 6:00. That's too damn early on a weekend morning.

Tomorrow youth hockey starts and I'm an assistant coach for a girls 19-and-under team. It's so much fun teaching girls to kick ass :)

IceRgrrl
09-25-2001, 08:35 AM

I woke up feeling a little "off" stomach-wise...something I ate on Sunday did not agree with me, but I trucked off to the gym to give the old workout a try...with mixed results.

Bench: 1 x 8 + 2 forced reps, 1 x 6 + 1 forced rep at 90#, 1 x 12 at 75#. Awful. Worse than last workout. I'll blame it on my nauseated state.

Dips: 3 x 7-8 w/45# assistance. Time to raise the weight again.

Skipped overhead press...still having pain in my left side. Decided to do one set of flyes (8 reps w/25# DB) and one set of front raises (8 reps w/12# DB).

Close-grip bench: 2 x 7 w/ 50# BB, 1 x 12 w/45# BB

Went home and headed straight for the Maalox. Not the best day at the gym...but something is better than nothing, I guess.

IceRgrrl
09-25-2001, 08:35 AM
Tuesday: 3 mile run

Cackerot69
09-25-2001, 08:47 AM
Werd.

Alex.V
09-25-2001, 12:29 PM
Way to keep at it, even with a bad stomach.

Good thing it wasn't leg day. That might be messy. nausea + squats = veddy bad ting.

;)

IceRgrrl
09-26-2001, 01:39 PM
Wednesday: Leg day (yeah, good thing it wasn't Monday, B!)

Awesome workout! I definitely needed the mental boost after Monday's fiasco. I felt great this morning and it carried over into the gym.

Lunges: I decided to switch up the order, just for variety, and do these first today.

1st set: 8 x 85# BB (I usually do these after leg press so I wasn't sure what weight to use with fresh legs)
2nd set: 8 x 95# BB Wow. So...
3rd set: 5 x 100#BB (!)
I was shaking like a leaf, but decided to end it all with one more set to finish the job, 12 x 75#. Cool, cool, and more cool.

Leg press:
1st set: 10 x 320#; I "thought" I was tired, but no.
2nd set: 8 x 410#; OK, now I felt really tired
3rd set: 15 x 230#...can't walk at this point

SLDL:
1st set: 10 x 85#; wasn't sure where to start today.
2nd set: 8x 100#; much better.
3rd set: 13 x 75#

Calf press: standing/slow
1st set: 9 x BW+100#
2nd set: 7 x BW+100#
3rd set: 7 x BW+100#

I just love leg day...lower body strength is def my best asset. If only my upper body would play along!

syntekz
09-26-2001, 02:50 PM
Damn; your leg press is pretty strong.

You do squats at all?

IceRgrrl
09-26-2001, 04:16 PM
No squats for me...combination of biomechanics and knee injury in the past.

I'm one of those ppl who can't squat w/o heels coming up off the ground or if I keep my heels on the ground I tip backwards...there was a long thread arguing about this, I think. I have long legs and that doesn't help either. I either have to risk my knees or my back and I need both :p

Also, I got hit in a hockey game two years ago and tore my left ACL, so I have to avoid putting too much stress on it (no squats and no leg extensions).

:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-26-2001, 04:19 PM
I hear that mad monkey love with Geordies is a good cure for injured ACL's...

Alex.V
09-26-2001, 08:31 PM
Good for the ACL, maybe, but think of the injury it would cause to her self-respect.

Nice rebound, IceR. :) Are you forever off squats? Or will this change with time?

IceRgrrl
09-27-2001, 03:56 PM
Thursday: 40 min. run

Wow. I am SORE from yesterday's workout. I guess doing lunges first was a good shake-up to my regular routine.

I definitely felt better after the run though...something about getting warmed up and getting the heart rate up seems to loosen up the kinks :)

IceRgrrl
09-28-2001, 09:32 AM
Chicken: tuttut

Actually, right after the injury finding a way to *ahem* without my knee hurting was a problem. BUT necessity is the mother of invention, as they say :D

IceRgrrl
09-28-2001, 09:39 AM

I've been thinking about my pullups and I came to the theory that my back strength is lagging behind my chest/arm strength so I decided to switch to wider pullups with hands facing away to really hit my back. This means that I'll have to take the ego bruise of having to up the assistance a little b/c I'm not as strong w/ that grip, but in the long run I think it will help.

Pullups: 7 x 60# assist, 8 x 60 # assist, 6 x 60# assist. Definitely felt it more in my back than w/ a neutral grip.

Rows: medium width grip on row machine, 3 sets of 7-8 x 75#. Time to up the weight.

Shrugs: 2 sets of 8-10 with 50# DB. My grip really gave out so I switched to a 45# plate in each hand for the last set of 14. My gym has those IronGrip plates with the holes for your hands, which is nice.

Bicep curls: Bi's were really tired from the pullups and rows so I just tried to put the finishing work on them. 2 sets of 7 x 40# BB and 1 set of 10 x 35# BB.

My back and arms were seriously spaghetti-like...hard to dress myself for work...LOL!

IceRgrrl
09-29-2001, 12:35 PM
Saturday: interval run

No hockey this morning, so I got to sleep in and then after a trip to the public market to stock up on veggies, bread, and olives, I decided to take advantage of the good weather and run outside.

The sun was out, the leaves are nearly at their peak fall color, and it was the perfect temp for running.

15 min. warm-up jog
1:30 hard run (165-175 bpm)/recover to 125 bpm x 7
15 min. cool-down jog

I love interval days...good for my short attention span, although I am in such a good mood today that everything is fun :)

IceRgrrl
10-01-2001, 12:20 PM
Monday: 30 min. run

My workout partner is out of town, so we're swtiching from MWF to WThF. I like getting up and getting active on Monday a.m. though so I decided to run this morning.

IceRgrrl
10-03-2001, 10:05 AM
Tuesday: 40 min. run with humongous 10 min. hill right in the middle of it.

IceRgrrl
10-04-2001, 03:40 PM
Wednesday: chest/shd/tri

Not the best day...my left shoulder is really becoming a chronic problem, to the point where it's inhibiting all my lifts. I may have to back off, let the inflammation subside, and get back to doing rotator work...grrrr.

Bench press:
6 x 90#, 6 x 90#, 12 x 75#.
I'm regressing here, dammit. My shoulder is hurting even on bench now and keeping me from going all out.

DB flye:
8 x 25# DB's, 6 x 25# DB's, 12 x 20# DB's.
Since I wasn't able to really work my chest on bench, I decided to do some flyes to at least get those muscles more of a workout w/o bothering my shoulder. I haven't done these in awhile...forgot how good they feel.

Rear delt. flye: (machine)
9 x 45#, 9 x 45#, 15 x 35#
Again, decided to do these b/c they didn't bother my shoulder.

Overhead tricep press:
8 x 25# DB, 7 x 25# DB, 11 x 20# DB

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to reset this workout and deal with my shoulder for now. Disappointing, but if I'm trying to keep focused on the long run...

IceRgrrl
10-04-2001, 03:41 PM
Thursday: 55 min. run on hilly terrain

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-04-2001, 03:44 PM
Thursday: 55 min. run on hilly terrain

ah, so you know him too?

nice bloke...

Alex.V
10-04-2001, 03:57 PM
Cardio fiend. ;)

Rotator cuff!

And C_D.... WTF?

IceRgrrl
10-04-2001, 08:38 PM
Cardio is good for my stress level...calms me right down :D PLus, I'm working on cutting a little bf. I was able to put on some muscle this summer but I want to get rid of the little bit of extra that came with it!

I just got a T-shirt that says "WTF?" on it...I love it :)

IceRgrrl
10-05-2001, 11:03 AM

Good workout...thank goodness. I needed a boost this week.

Pullups: palms facing away, wider grip.
3 sets, 8 x 60# assist. That's improvement from last time. I was surprised to get 8 on the last set. I think changing my grip to target my back was a good idea.

Rows: narrow grip on machine
7 x 75#, 8 x 75#, 13 x 70#

Shrugs: BB
10 x 95#, 10 x 105#, 9 x 105#

Bicep curl: straight bar
8 x 40#, 8 x 40#, 12 x 35#. Improvement from last time.

That steak I ate last night must have helped...I was able to progress on everything and felt strong.

IceRgrrl
10-09-2001, 08:01 PM
OK, back to work after my long Florida weekend :(

Tuesday: 40 min. run with two big hills.

IceRgrrl
10-11-2001, 06:14 PM
Thursday: 45 min. run

This is kind of a rest week for me...been doing some running, but taking off from the weights for a few days. I was starting to feel that stale, bored, unmotivated, cranky, overtraining feeling plus my shoulder needs some work before I go back to gung ho lifting.

I'm off for homecoming weekend at Univ. of Michigan...hope it's nice fall weather for the game on Saturday :)

IceRgrrl
11-05-2001, 07:13 PM
Okay, it's been awhile since I updated my journal...and I WILL do that soon...real life has been cutting into my internet/computer time and (as some of you have noticed) I just haven't been on here as much as usual :(

I've downshifted my weight routine into sort of a maintenance plan (lifting lighter about twice a week and running when I can). Hockey season is in full swing and I'm playing twice a week plus coaching youth hockey, so I've had to watch how much/when I lift to allow for recovery before games, etc.

BUT I have noticed that my training over the summer has really paid off on the ice. My shots are harder and my skating is stronger, and my aerobic/anaerobic endurance is probably the best it's ever been...all those intervals were worth it.

As far as the trouble with my shoulder, I've found a great new doc (who is up-to-date and sympathetic to sports injuries) and a new gym/trainer (specializing in sports performance training/Olympic lifting) so things are looking up!

Alex.V
11-06-2001, 10:01 PM
We'll settle for whatever scraps of updates you'd be willing to give us.... ;)

IceRgrrl
11-07-2001, 11:12 AM
I'll try to be better about the updates...really though, I think you're one of the very few who actually read them, B ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-07-2001, 11:17 AM
I read it too.

I just stopped posting when i realised that EVERY post had some sort of sexual conatation in it.

I didnt want to ruin your journal that much...

maybe just l<------- this much--------->l :thumbup:

Alex.V
11-07-2001, 11:21 AM
Your sig pretty much ruins journals on its own, chicken. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-07-2001, 11:24 AM
yup.

let's get it in here one more time for good measure.

IceRgrrl
11-07-2001, 01:49 PM
That's okay, Chicken...I enjoy your comments :)

(but that sig IS getting a mite too long...)

IceRgrrl
11-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Okay, I recovered from Wednesday's hockey game and there is no game scheduled for this weekend, so I got to do legs today...whoo hoo! I've had to lighten up and cut down leg day a little since the off-season, but it's still my favorite day.

BB lunge: 8 x 100#, 10 x 100#, 15 x 85#

Leg press: 8 x 320#, 8 x 410#, 6 x 425#

Abductor machine: 12 x 70#, 12 x 80#, 12 x 70#

Adductor machine: 12 x 120#, 10 x 130#, 8 x 130#

I usually don't do a lot of ab/adductor stuff (just off and on for variety and consistency), but with all the skating I've been doing, these seem to help ward off groin pulls (along with stretching)...I've never had one of those yet (knock on wood).

Alex.V
11-09-2001, 11:36 PM
Ouch. Groin pulls = veddy bad. I wouldn't have expected you to be the type to use those abductor/adductor machines (as much as it's fun to watch the lovely ladies use them.... )

You ever considered doing any plyometric work, or even explosive lifts? (Classic olympic or just power cleans?) I don't know if we've spoken about those before, but... I could see them having a place in your routine.

Leg press still has some good strength. :)

IceRgrrl
11-10-2001, 07:28 AM
LOL! No, I don't use those machines very often...but I can still almost max out the machine :) It's all that skating...works those inner thighs like mad.

That's funny that you should mention the OL/power stuff, B. That's what I'll be getting into at the new gym/new trainer (starting after the Thanksgiving break). I've done plyo stuff in the past, but mostly off-season. It's hard to work in heavy lower body training between games and practices...not enough time for recovery.

Alex.V
11-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Ooh, this sounds interesting. (OLing). Any other info of it you've gotten yet? (Your routine going to be much more structured around these lifts, or are you just going to incorporate them in)

IceRgrrl
11-10-2001, 04:40 PM
It sounds like it's going to be structured around those lifts...from the paperwork I received:

"The core of the _____ performance program is based on the concepts of specificity, variability, progressive overload, and periodization. We believe the key is utilizing the full range, multi-joint ballistic movements which generate strong hip and torso rotational forces in multiple directions. These movements are best acheived through the Olympic lifts which provide the greatest training transfer value--biomechanically, physiologically, and psychologically--to any power dominated sport. The Olympic lifts, plyometrics, and medicine ball drills are extremely effective b/c they must be performed with high power production, rapid force application and acceleration."

The trainer I'll be working with has a doctorate in sports science/strength and conditioning and has worked in this field for 20 years. He was one of the coaches for the USA Olympic Weightlifting Team at the Atlanta Olympics and was the head strength coach for all varsity sports at an Oregon university.

It sounds really intriguing and I've gotten some great recommendations from other people I know who have trained there.

IceRgrrl
11-11-2001, 04:35 PM
Today's workout: 30 min. of light cardio to loosen up the lingering soreness from Friday's workout and the new soreness from playing 4 straight hours of hockey at an all-night party at our ice arena...ouch.

It was fun at the time, and when we finally quit at 1:30 a.m., I was jazzed enough to sit up through "Mystery, Alaska" and most of "Gladiator,' but good Lord, I hurt today.

I hear the hot tub calling my name...

Alex.V
11-11-2001, 05:28 PM
Wash your back? :)

:hide:

IceRgrrl
11-14-2001, 08:11 AM
B, tuttut

One does not wash in the hottub...one merely soaks oneself into oblivion :p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Going BACK to the topic...

Makeshift workout squeezed into a spare hour:

3 sets of 15 pushups
3 sets of 10 pullups (w/ some assistance)
3 sets of 20 crunches

Cardio:
5 min. warm-up
1:30 hard interval/recover to 125 bpm (repeat for about 25 min.)
5 min. cool-down
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm taking off for a conference the rest of the week, but my gym has locations in the city I'm traveling to, so I plan on getting a few workouts in while I'm gone.

IceRgrrl
11-16-2001, 11:11 AM
Workouts on the road can be fun...

I got here late Wed. night but had researched gym locations so I was up and ready to go early on Thurs. morning (it's nice to stay on my normal routine even when I travel). My gym has a branch here (Toronto) and like everywhere else I have to go this week/weekend, it's within walking distance.

Thurs: 40 min. run
Friday: chest/shd/tri's
Sat. a.m: Spinning class (planned)

The gym is on the 5th floor of a downtown building so the view is nice in the morning. I remember why I like cities...or at least why I like to visit them :)

Walking around the rest of the day in heels is killing me though...ouch.

IceRgrrl
12-03-2001, 06:11 PM
Okay, just wanted to add an update here about what's going on with me.

First of all, I'm under doctor's orders to lay off most of my upper body lifting for now. My left shoulder had gotten progressively worse, to the point where almost anything bothers it, other than arm isolation movements. So for now, I've just got to rest it and allow the inflammtion to subside. Then my doc and new trainer will decide how/when/what to ease me back into lifting.

This is a big bummer b/c I was all excited about my new gym/trainer. But I guess I'll look on the bright side and be grateful that I can still do legs AND that maybe this time--with the new doc/trainer--we can get to the bottom of this shoulder problem once and for all.

In the meantime, I want to stay in my well-established routine, so I'm still going to the gym 3 mornings per week and either doing legs, arms/abs, or running/Spinning. Something is always better than nothing.

Hockey is going well, though my shoulder is bothering me a little bit there too, and I'm having a really good season.

So I'm still at it, just not much new and exciting to journal about on a daily basis... :(

PowerManDL
12-03-2001, 06:16 PM
What are the symptoms with the shoulder?

IceRgrrl
12-04-2001, 07:24 AM
My left shoulder is rather "sloppy"...i.e., things slide around in there in a way that they shouldn't...LOL! Over time, the constant impingement tends to inflame the tendons/tissue and overhead or reaching motions really hurt. And I can feel the bones sliding around too, which is gross.

Doctors in the past have told me that it's not bad enough for surgery, told me "just don't do anything that bothers it," and given me drugs. I've done PT and rotator work, yadda yadda yadda, but anytime I'm lifting heavy for about 3-4 months (and when we were building our house and I was doing a lot of hammering with that arm), it flares up again.

What a royal pain...*sigh*

Paul Stagg
12-04-2001, 10:32 AM
IceR -

What is the strenght coach's name?

(PM it if you don't want to post it)

Sounds like someone I know... but I'm not sure.

IceRgrrl
12-06-2001, 02:04 PM
Well...those heavy lunges in the gym must be paying off. At last night's practice, a buddy of mine jumped on my back while I was down on one knee in front of the net (he was just messing with me because I did something to him earlier).

I just stood back up with him on top of me (I was on skates, remember)...surprised the crap out of him and my other teammates. He's a little guy, but he still weighs 150+. I thought it was quite funny.... :D

IceRgrrl
12-09-2001, 06:52 PM
Since my workouts are not very exciting these days (working around hockey and my ^$*#&% shoulder) I'll kill a few days worth of updates here:

Mon: chest/tri's
Wed: hockey practice (my lower back is a little tender from that stunt I pulled...serves me right).
Sat: legs/abs

Tues/Thurs/Sun: 45 min. interval run

And to keep myself amused on the treadmill, I've been working my way through Christmas videos. So far I've watched "Scrooge," the musical version of A Christmas Carol, with Albert Finney...(great songs), Holiday Inn, with Bing Crosby, and I'm halfway through A Christmas Story, with the little kid who wants a Red Ryder BB gun from Santa...

"I can't put my arms down..."
"Randy lay there like a slug...it was his only defense."

I love that movie!

IceRgrrl
12-11-2001, 05:47 AM
Finished "A Christmas Story" on the treadmill last night during my run. I needed it to burn off the edginess from this last week of classes before finals week.

Also, I've been eating super clean since Thanksgiving so between that and the extra cardio, I know I'll be able to indulge in Christmas goodies over the holidays with minimal damage ;)

Met my workout partner at the gym this afternoon for back/bi workout. I can tell how run down/depleted I am because my workout basically sucked. I got through it, but it was not good. Of course, I'm comparing with over the summer where I had no responsibilities from May to August and my days revolved around working out, eating right, getting a lot of rest...just the opposite of right now.

Oh well, the semester is almost over and I'll get to rest up over the holidays. Which reminds me that I'd better get my butt in gear and finish my Christmas shopping.

I wish it would snow...

IceRgrrl
12-13-2001, 03:37 PM
Better workout today, probably because I got to sleep before midnight for once. It probably would have been better if I hadn't been too lazy/tired to eat dinner last night...I actually woke up in the middle of the night and made a sandwich b/c I was so hungry.

Today's gym session was legs/abs, not my usual full-tilt workout, but not bad for having played hockey last night and being a bit run down.

BB Lunges: 3 x 10 x 100#
Leg press: 3 x 8 x 405#
Leg curl: 3 x 8 x 75#
Calf raise (seated): 3 x 12 x (70# + BW)
Double crunches: 3 x 20
Hanging leg raise: 3 x 10

According to the scale at the gym, I'm 148 lbs, approx. 19% bf right now.

IceRgrrl
12-15-2001, 12:37 PM
Gym early this morning despite being out late last night...the first party I went to was so lame that I just had to stay twice as long at the good one to make the night even out ;)

Chest/(shd)/tris: I'm allowed to do anything that doesn't hurt my shoulder, so this makes for a weird mix of exercises.

HS Decline bench: 3 x 6-8 x 110#
DB flyes: 3 x 8 x 20#
Rear flyes(machine): 3 x 8 x 40#
Tricep pushdown w/rope: 3 x 8 x 65#

And now with that accomplished, it's off to the rest of the madness that is weekend.

IceRgrrl
12-16-2001, 12:05 PM
Got home by 11:00 last night and slept in so I feel almost rested today.

Gym: 45 min. Spinning class.

I hear the hot tub calling me...

PowerManDL
12-16-2001, 12:12 PM
I hear the hot tub calling me...

Great-- what time are you coming over?

IceRgrrl
12-17-2001, 07:21 AM
Sorry, DL...you were too late. Timing is everything, isn't it? ;)

---------------
That hot tub yesterday did wonders (along with more sleep). I actually feel good this morning and my appetite has started to rebound.

Got my 45 min. interval run done this morning while I watched the last part of "White Christmas." The extra cardio/careful diet have paid off....I've got a few pounds leeway for the holiday smorgasbord coming up next week. Since my mother has spent the last two weeks cooking and baking, I can't let her down :p

Still no sign of snow in reality though...it's looking pretty green and brown for the holidays.

IceRgrrl
12-18-2001, 07:15 AM
Last workout for a little while...

Back/bi's:
Assisted pullups/very wide grip: 3 x 6-8 w/60# assist
Cable row (narrow): 3 x 6-8 x 65#
DB Shrugs: 3 x 6-8 x 60#
BB bicep curls: 3 x 6-8 x 40-45#

IceRgrrl
12-18-2001, 09:09 PM
In case anybody cares, the grocery store is an absolutely freaking hilarious place if you and a friend have just finished a bottle of champagne before dinner...

That's all I have to say about that. :o

IceRgrrl
12-18-2001, 09:19 PM
I'm supposed to be packing up all my shiat for the trip home, but I really hate packing...

Not even good music is getting me inspired...

It sucks when you run out of motivation before everything is done...

IceRgrrl
12-22-2001, 08:27 AM
Snow storm in the northern Midwest...I love it.

4 mile run outside in the snow with one of my dogs (the one that needed to work off some energy). We both had fun :)

Tonight I'm going to pick-up hockey at the ice arena in the neighboring town. I wonder if I'll run into anyone I remember from high school...that's always good for a laugh.

Alex.V
12-22-2001, 09:16 AM
Hello!

IceRgrrl
12-23-2001, 02:35 PM
Hi B! Long time no see...your harem must be keeping you busy ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today---more snow, more running outside with the dog. If the &^$#%@ community college up here in the middle of nowhere would open their fitness center I would go and lift but apparently whomever is supposed to be working over the break is not....

Oh well. 4 mile run...got out of the house, worked up a sweat, got some exercise of some sort. It feels good to get real sleep and have someone else cook real food :D

IceRgrrl
12-24-2001, 09:51 AM
6 inches of snow fell overnight...awesome. But the roads are pretty slippery even though the plows have been out.

I took the dogs out for their morning walk and then tried to run, but the footing was terrible and I was doing more flailing/slipping than running (fell on my a$$ once or twice) so I decided to bag it for now. I'll try to get out later in the day...

Meanwhile, I'll just play in the snow with the dogs...I love it when they try to burrow under the fluff with their noses and come up with their faces all white ;)

IceRgrrl
12-26-2001, 03:42 PM
FINALLY the local gym was open and I got to lift...whoo hoo! Good thing too, b/c I was starting to climb the walls.

This gym was a real dump...about the size of my bedroom at home, dirty, dark, and a poor selection of equipment which was in obvious need of maintenance. The guys who were in there looked like they were stuck in the eighties and were playing grunge music from 1991-92...more socializing than lifting going on too.

BUT where there's a will, there's a way, so...

BB Lunges: 3 x 8 x 100#

Leg press: 3 x 10 x 425#???? Hard to tell since this machine was a relic...I gave it a good visual once-over and a test drive with no weight just to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart on me. One of the bearings was jammed, so that added a little extra resistance....what a piece of crap.

BB Bench press: 12 x 60#, 8 x 80#, 6 x 90#, 3 x 100#

Mil. press: 8 x 45#, 6 x 50#, 7 x 45#

Close-grip bench press: 8 x 45#, 8 X 45#, 6 X 45#

I was happy that my shoulder behaved through the whole workout. I haven't been able to go all out for awhile, so I was happy with what I got. I sure do appreciate my gym at home after this little excursion.

Alex.V
12-26-2001, 04:09 PM
I'd be ready to kill something after that many days without working out....

At least you made it. :) I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to gyms, I've never worked out in a hole like that...

IceRgrrl
12-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Oh yes...why do you think I've been doing so much running?

I ran early this morning to take the edge off...too much family togetherness is starting to take its toll....:(

Jane
12-27-2001, 11:51 AM
...too much family togetherness is starting to take its toll....:(

:nod: me too! im currently sharing a two bedroom city apartment with a dad, his gf, her son, my sister, and two screeching parakeets.

Gotta love holidays :D

IceRgrrl
12-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Not enough space...I hear you, Jane. And nowhere to go to get away from people for an hour when you really need it!

Pretty much the same situation here. My parents live in a really small ranch house and when all four of us come home with friends/s.o.'s/pets, it gets pretty crowded. My sister and her boyfriend left this morning so it's starting to clear out...

I'm sleeping in the camper in the backyard. It's quiet...

IceRgrrl
12-27-2001, 03:41 PM
Today's workout consisted of cross-country skiing with my mom and dad for about an hour and a half. About 2 feet of snow have fallen in the past week, so the woods look like a winter wonderland...evergreens loaded down with snow, tree branches frosted with ice crystals and snow, deer and rabbit tracks in the open areas...the scenery was amazing.

IceRgrrl
12-28-2001, 04:49 PM
I guess today counts as active rest...I went downhill skiing for the first time in years. It's like riding a bicycle--you never forget :)

It was great...lots of new snow, not a lot of people, and not too cold. Felt it in my quads by the end of the day though...

I used to ski every Saturday and Sunday and sometimes after school when I was growing up (3 ski areas within 15 miles of my parents' house) and I was on the ski team in high school. But where I live now there is no good snow and no good ski areas within a day's drive. I forgot how much fun it is and how much I missed it :(

Jane
12-28-2001, 09:23 PM
I LOVE TO SKI! I LOVE TO SKI!

lol, sorry. glad you enjoyed yourself. there is nothing like a nice snowy mountain. :)

Alex.V
12-28-2001, 09:58 PM
I think you're both nuts.

Reinier
12-29-2001, 10:00 AM
I freaking love to ski and snowboard and bigfoot and monoski and carveski ad snowblade and everything. i get a freaking rush out of just thinking about that ****. woohoo im so glad im gonna board in february again.

Jane
12-29-2001, 10:25 AM
me too me too reinier!!! I'm heading up to canada for my birthday in midfebruary its gonna kicka**. Heheh the very first time i went snowboarding i was in Canada...fond memories of extreme butt soreness. :D

IceRgrrl
01-06-2002, 11:45 AM
I'm back in upstate NY...and I miss the Michigan snow. Over 80 inches fell while I was at my parents' house.

Though I haven't been posting in my journal over the last week, I HAVE been working out, reorganizing my house, reorganizing my habits in preparation for the new year. I'm not really into resolutions, but I like the feeling of starting anew and setting up some new goals and patterns for the year ahead.

I completely ripped apart my kitchen, took everything out of the cupboards and pantry, emptied the fridge/freezer, cleaned everything (threw out a lot of junk), and reorganized all food supplies and food preparation stuff. A neat, organized kitchen is SO nice...

Did much the same in the rest of the house...closets, bedrooms, storage...got a big truckload of stuff going to Goodwill and a lot of trash to set to the curb this week. Whoo hoo!

I've been busy with playing/coaching hockey since I got home and have been hitting the gym at odd times to avoid the blasted "new year's resolution" crowds. I hate January for that reason...

So...here goes for a new year :)

IceRgrrl
01-07-2002, 12:25 PM
The gym was SO crowded this morning...very annoying to have to wait for stuff while people just fcuked around.

Today I decided to do some different exercises for chest and start working in some direct shoulder work...my shoulder feels pretty good right now, but the real test will be how it responds to my workouts.

DB chest press: Haven't done these in awhile and I was thinking that it might be easier to tweak the range of motion for my shoulder. I'm starting easy and will work up to an appropriate load if things go well...
10 x 25#DB, 8 x 30# DB, 5 x 35#DB

Chest flye/pec deck: 10 x 45#, 8 x 50#, 7 x 50#

DB shoulder press: 10 x 15#DB, 7 x 20#DB, 6 x 15#DB

Tricep ext: 10 x 40#, 9 x 40#, 5 x 40#

So far, so good. I guess I'll see how it feels over the next few weeks.

IceRgrrl
01-08-2002, 11:31 AM
7:30 a.m. Spinning class this morning...I haven't been getting up early so it was an adventure in semi-consciousness to get myself to the gym. I think I woke up in the parking lot.

I'm definitely feeling the DB presses this morning, in a different way than I do the aftereffects of BB bench....can't wait to do 'em again...ha ha.

Since I've gotten back home and back into my own routine, here's a typical day's diet:

M1: (before gym) wheat toast w/cottage cheese or bran cereal/skim milk
M2: (after workout) oatmeal w/PB+fruit or egg white omelet+wheat toast +fruit
M3: tuna/cottage cheese mix, green salad, veggies
M4: cottage cheese or hard boiled egg or toast w/PB or yogurt+protein powder+raisins
M5:chicken/veggies/rice or sweet potatoes, maybe a small side of pasta or a piece of bread

Sometimes I replace one of the meals with a protein shake or bar if I'm on the run or if I'm extra hungry, I'll have another salad with tuna or nuts added. On hockey days I may have another go 'round of M5 after a game/practice.

Mainly, I'm trying to limit carbs to mainly fruit/veggies with some bread/cereal/pasta/rice thrown in to keep my energy up for workouts and hockey.

Have to check the carb/pro/fat ratios and my energy level and tweak things from there...

IGF-1
01-08-2002, 11:59 AM
sounds good :) keep it up :)

*this motivational post courtesy of IGF-1*

:D

Alex.V
01-08-2002, 12:07 PM

I'm definitely feeling the DB presses this morning, in a different way than I do the aftereffects of BB bench....

Massage?

You're trying to shed a little bit of 'padding', right? How much, and for how long?

IceRgrrl
01-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm not sure exactly of the numbers, but I want to lean down a bit. I'm happy with the strength gains I've made since June and I've even managed to pack on some new muscle (I don't gain muscle easily) but I've also put on a little fat with it...plus I wouldn't mind whittling down the "female" baggage that stubbornly clings to the lower body...LOL! My upper body stays lean and my stomach stays flat/somewhat defined no matter what...

I'm going to take measurements each month and take weight/bf readings once a week and also check the mirror. I'll see how much progress I'm making and see where I am in 3 months...so that would be around the end of March or so...

IGF-1
01-08-2002, 12:24 PM
ah the "woman's trouble spot", the lower body....measurements and bf checks are a good idea...but i think the ultimate test is the mirror :) if you can be happy there the others are slightly less important :)

IceRgrrl
01-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Yes...*#&$^% female hormones.

Estrogen is like piety...a little goes a long way.

IceRgrrl
01-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Yesterday afternoon I had to go to the DMV, which is always a horrific experience. But since I had already worked out my aggressions for the day at the gym and was armed with a book to read, I decided It Must Be Done.

To my surprise, they had redone the place since I was there last. Instead of standing for hours in an enormous line that snaked around the interior lobby, I now merely took a number (like at the deli counter) and seated myself in the rows of obviously recycled church pews and waited my turn. It was much like being in Catholic school and having to go to Mass in the mornings...if one was lucky enough to be seated far enough away from The Nun, and had smuggled in a novel, the whole thing was much easier to bear. At least at the DMV there was no kneeling (although the surly employees there might have liked that) and not of that stand/sit/stand business.

And even better, I found a magazine left in the rack where the hymnals/missals would usually be...and in this magazine was a good cassoulet recipe and an article on the traditional Finnish sauna. The recipe made me hungry and the sauna article made me homesick for sauna night at my Finnish grandparents cottage on Lake Superior.

So I did the next best thing and went home to stew myself in the hot tub...which then made me sleepy and led to a wee nap.

All in all, a very pleasant afternoon....

ericg
01-09-2002, 11:06 AM
wee naps = ace!!

IceRgrrl
01-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ericg
wee naps = ace!!

Yes! If we were a properly civilized country, we'd have a siesta hour :)

IceRgrrl
01-09-2002, 05:29 PM
V. good workout today. All this clean food/sleep/clean living must be paying off...

Back/biceps:
Pullups: 8 x -60# with wide grip/palms away
7 x -30# slow neg./neutral grip
5 x -30# slow neg./neutral grip
The negatives were done very slowly (with pauses when I could). My back/arms/shoulders felt very tired after this and I was sweating quite a bit...i.e., kicked my a$$.

Pullovers:
8 x 75#, 6 x 75#, 9 x 65#

Cable row (narrow grip): 7 x 60#, 6 x 60#, 8 x 50#
Someone has to squirt a little WD-40 on this thing...it's rather sticky.

Bicep curls: my arms were fried at this point...just added the last straw.
9 x 15# DB
6 x 15# DB
5 x 12# DB

Raising my arms over my head was difficult at this point, as was slinging my workout bag over my shoulder on the way out.

Jane
01-09-2002, 05:29 PM
lol....siesta hours suck when you're stuck in some little spanish town trying desperately to find a map and its 102 degrees :)

I bet all the little spanish kids were looking out their windows and laughing...

IceRgrrl
01-10-2002, 07:43 AM
Okay, I now know that I need to add some more carbs into my diet. I had a hockey game last night and I was really, really flat...classic feeling of cutting carbs too much for my activity level.

So, since today is a bit of a rest day, I will concentrate on tweaking my diet. :)

ericg
01-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Show us those gunZ icer
;)

IceRgrrl
01-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Heh...thanks ericg, but I think you'd be disappointed...I just don't have the body type that gets very huge. :(

Alex.V
01-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Boo, you know you're buff.

IceRgrrl
01-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Leg day today, but not the usual...for a variety of reasons:

a) I have hockey and hockey practices on Sat/Sun/Mon, so I'd better dave something for those

b) I've decided not to go as heavy on my legs (even though I love to) b/c they respond so quickly and I really don't want my upper and lower body to be out of proportion.

c) I've decided I need to start working my quads more directly. For the last year or so I've been concentrating mainly on glute/ham strength b/c of my knee injury. When I went skiiing over the break, I felt like my quads really needed some more work.

I've got the 2:1 ham/quad strength ratio that's recommended after an ACL tear so I think as long as I maintain that, I'm okay.

Leg press: narrow stance/feet on lower part of the sled
12 x 230#, 12 x 280#, 10 x 320#
I wasn't sure how much weight to use with this foot placement, so I started too low....next time I'll know better where to start.

Leg ext: one leg at a time, slow tempo, 2 sec. pause at the top...have to start light with these as open chain exercises are a caution after the knee problem
10 x 35#, 10 x 45#, 12 x 35#

Leg curl: both legs
12 x 105#, 10 x 120#, 8 x 135#

Standing calf press:
12 x BW+120#, 12 x BW+135#, 10 x BW+150#

All in all, a different leg workout, but when I got home and went up the stairs for something, I definitely felt it.

I've added more carbs/cals to my diet so we'll see how that works for keeping my energy level up but still cutting.

ericg
01-11-2002, 03:05 PM
injuries suck arse

IceRgrrl
01-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Thanks, B...but I'm looking at my arms and I'd hardly call them "guns"...;)

Yes, injuries suck. But---and it sounds cliche but it's true---being injured and having to work through rehab and watch the games from the bench gave me a whole new appreciation for just simply being able to play and not worrying so much about the outcome of the game, or little mistakes/weaknesses, or things of that nature. :)

Reinier
01-11-2002, 03:59 PM
are your legs stronger than your upper body?

it seems 6x420 lbs leg press and 3x100 lbs bench press
would usually not belong to same person.

IceRgrrl
01-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Hell yeah! My legs are by far my strongest point. And yes, it does bug me that my upper body lags so far behind.

Couple of possible contributors to that phenomenon:

a) I have had trouble with my left shoulder on and off and I know that has held me back a little

b) I've played hockey for a long time and that tends to really develop your legs...you're basically skating in a semi-squat position, not standing upright.

c) I have narrower shoulders and long arms = bad leverage

d) I'm female and in general, our upper bodies are relatively weaker than that of males.

e) I'm kind of an ectomorph, so I don't muscle up very easily.

:(

Reinier
01-11-2002, 04:11 PM
my legs are the strongest too.

but it means bad things for me as my best leg lift so far was
12x330 deep leg press.... which im gonna break tomorrow morning btw.

but my bench is weak too. scrawny long arms...
dumb press 50s 11 reps
55s 5 reps....

Pup
01-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Reinier

but my bench is weak too. scrawny long arms...
dumb press 50s 11 reps
55s 5 reps....

I see you are still using your impressive lifts to try and impress the ladies, nice work ;)

IceRgrrl
01-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Naw, I think he's just sympathizing with my plight...lol.

Pup
01-11-2002, 04:31 PM
Of course, i was just ribbin him a little :)

smalls
01-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Hey IceRgrrl,
sorry to fudge up your journal, but I was wondering how many cals per day you consume when you bulk or cut. And maybe macronutrient breakdown %. Just wondering to compare with my girlfriend. I justed wanted to get some feedback from a girl to see when you put on fat/muscle and lose ect. Also if you dont mind saying, how much do you currently weigh. If you want you can just pm me. Or you can just tell me to mind my own stinkin business.

btw your legs rock, be glad. My girl weighs 128 can overhead press 35lb db's for 7 and do bw pullups for 6, and only squats 95 for 6. Your lifts are quite impressive. keep up the good work:D

IceRgrrl
01-12-2002, 12:20 PM
No problem, smalls...I'll go back through my alleged records and PM you later this weekend :)

That's cool that your girlfriend is into it :) And your example of her lifts vs. mine is a perfect example of how much variation there is from person to person and that one size definitely does not fit all when it comes to training/diet/etc.

I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 152 lbs..about 22% bf.

IceRgrrl
01-12-2002, 12:24 PM
This morning's workout...light cardio for recovery and general fat loss :)

15 min. Stairmaster
15 min. inclined treadmill walk
15 min. elliptical machine

Followed but a nice long stretch. Very nice.

IceRgrrl
01-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Oh boy...gotta catch up with the last few days...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday: 20 min. run with dog (she needed it).

My workout partner cancelled on me so I was without a spotter AND the gym was packed with New Year's a-holes...so I used whatever I could find and did what I could. :mad:

DB presses: Had to go a little lighter/do more b/c I didn't have a spotter and am being careful of my bad shoulder.
8 x 20# (warm-up), 6 x 30#, 6 x 30#, 15 x 20# (finishing touch)

DB overhead press:
8 x 15# (warm-up), 7 x 20#, 12 x 15#

DB chest flye: needed to move up from 20#'s, but 25#'s were a little too much, so I grabbed some of those little magnets and stuck them on the 20's.
8 x 20#, 5 x 25# + 3 x 22#, 6 x 22#

French press: close-grip, elbows in, really slow
6 x 30#, 7 x 27#, 11 x 22#

IceRgrrl
01-15-2002, 02:56 PM
45 min. Spinning class + extended stretching

Reinier
01-15-2002, 02:59 PM
spinning any good?
think i should try it when i cut?

"I'll try to be better about the updates...really though, I think you're one of the very few who actually read them, B "

nah bullox. now my journal thats a quiet place. only way i get people to post there is to talk about one armed chicks at the gym

PowerManDL
01-16-2002, 01:12 AM
I always read your journal, in hopes that you'll slip up and post nudies. One day, one day........

IceRgrrl
01-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Reinier, Spinning is very good interval cardio...I'd highly recommend it for cutting. It lasts from 45-60 min. and with a good instructor/good music, the time flies by. I could never just plod away on some piece of cardio equipment for that long without dying of boredom. I think you'd like it...

Wednesday: back/biceps

Pullups:
6 x +60# (wide grip, palms away)
5 x +30# (neutral grip, 10 sec. negatives)
3 x +20# (neutral grip, 10 sec. negatives)
2 x +30# (neutral grip, <10 sec. negatives...I was tired)

Pullover:
6 x 75#, 6 x 75#, 10 x 60#

Rear delt. flye: 4 x 40#, 7 x 30#, 6 x 30#

BB bicep curl: bi's were pretty tired from the neg. pullups
9 x 35#, 7 x 40#, 8 x 35#

Upping the carbs/cals was a good move. I have more energy, feel better, and am finally starting to drop some baggage. Go me!

Alex.V
01-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Go you.
;)

PowerManDL
01-16-2002, 03:36 PM

Pullups:
6 x +60# (wide grip, palms away)
5 x +30# (neutral grip, 10 sec. negatives)
3 x +20# (neutral grip, 10 sec. negatives)
2 x +30# (neutral grip, <10 sec. negatives...I was tired)

Nice work. I don't know many females that can do pullups with body weight, let alone with that much added.

IceRgrrl
01-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Those pullups are with assistance...my notation may have misled you.

PowerManDL
01-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Yes it did. You should feel ashamed for misleading me.

Alex.V
01-16-2002, 10:19 PM
How long of a negative do you think you could do with a supinated grip?

IceRgrrl
01-17-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure...I'll try it next back day and let you know. I've been using the neutral grip b/c it bothers my shoulder the least.

IceRgrrl
01-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Thursday's workout: 1.5 hours of hockey...whoo hoo! That's the most fun cardio ever invented :)

IceRgrrl
01-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Friday: Rest day (planned), cheat day (forced necessity)

I really just want to go to bed. It has been a long, stupid day culminating in dinner with my bf's mother...who cooks with mainly oil, butter, and meats I never eat, like veal. But, raised with manners as I was, I did the polite thing and at least tried everything, though the bowl of mashed potatoes swimming in butter made me pause in horror/nausea until someone kicked me under the table.

Hours of excruciating diplomacy on my part later (and a few Maalox), I'm sitting here in my pajamas waiting for my friend to stop over and pick up the cat carrier she is borrowing and was supposed to pick up this afternoon.

You know? Everything after the Today show (which I dozed through while deciding to get up this morning) has been a big pain in the ass...

But, as they say, tomorrow is another day.

I really would like to be sleeping right now...

IceRgrrl
01-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Hmmm...Friday wasn't the best day. I think it was a combination of missing my workout (damn workout partner), PMS, and that forced socializing. I got over it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOoooo...to catch up:

Saturday: hockey practice and 6 mile walk home from point where vehicle broke down (serpentine belt broke and thus took out the alternator/charging system, cooling system, and power steering).
Not an auspicious start to the weekend...

Sunday: leg workout (from Friday)
One-legged leg press: I know my left leg is stronger than my right, but I had no idea that it was THAT much stronger. These were very, very interesting and very, very hard.
10 x 135#, 12 x 135#, 10 x 135#

Leg ext/single leg: slow with full pause at the top, just like we did in rehab (ouch, it burns!).
10 x 20#, 12 x 20#, 10 x 20#

Leg curl/single leg: 10 x 25#, 8 x 30#, 7 x 35#

Seated calf press: 12 x 70# + some body weight ( 3 sets), very slow.

Leg Ad/Abduction: 12 x 100# (3 sets of each)

As I mentioned in my last leg day, I'm changing things up a little...doing more direct quad work, going lighter/more reps, and slower tempo. I definitely felt the added intensity from doing the first three exercises one leg at a time...it's much different.

20 min, recovery run outside.

IceRgrrl
01-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Chest/shd/tris today:

Too many damn people in the gym today, maybe b/c of the holiday or something...

HD decline press:
8 x 50# (warm-up), 8 x 90#, 8 x 100#, 13 x 70#

Assisted dips:
8 x 50#, 6 x 45#, 6 x 50#

DB overhead press: slowly adding these back in as long as my shoulder behaves....
10 x 15#, 8 x 20#, 6 x 20#

French press:
7 x 30#, 7 x 27#, 8 x 22#

IceRgrrl
01-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Tuesday: 30 min. interval run

Paul Stagg
01-22-2002, 01:34 PM
You ROCK!

That is all.

IceRgrrl
01-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Paul :)

IceRgrrl
01-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Wednesday's workout has been moved to Friday for reasons that shall remain unsaid.

Thursday: 2 mile run, short and fast b/c it was cold and rainy. But halfway through the rain turned to snow...that was cool :)

IceRgrrl
01-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Friday's workout: legs

Single leg presses:
7 x 145#, 8 x 145#, 7 x 145#

Leg ext: single leg
I did these on the HS leg. ext. machine and I really didn't like it...something about the ROM/leverages didn't feel good and my knees ached afterwards. I'll avoid this one in the future.
10 x 20#, 10 x 20#, 10 x 20#

Leg curl: both legs
Did this on the HS machine too...and didn't like it. No matter how much I fussed with the adjustments, I really couldn't get it to give me a natural-feeling range of motion. In general I like the HS equipment for when I do use machines, but these leg machines suck!
10 x 55#, 7 x 65#, 8 x 55#

Standing calf press:
12 x 135#+BW, 10 x 155#+BW, 10 x 155#+BW

heathj
01-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Yeah icer! We need some squats though :D Squat are greeeeeeeeat.

IceRgrrl
01-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Not for me, they aren't. First of all, since I've had a blown ACL in the past, squats are out. Second of all, my build/body mechanics are not suited to squatting anyways.

I have a shorter torso, long legs, and most of my mass is in my lower body/legs. If I keep my heels on the floor, I have to bend too far forward (stressing the lower back) to keep from falling over backwards. In order to keep my back upright, I have to let my knees shoot out way over my toes (stressing the knees). My physical therapist and doc agreed that I should build my leg routine around other options.

I think I got into one of those dead horse debates over this awhile back, so I hesitate to go into it again...

heathj
01-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Pussy. :D

IceRgrrl
01-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Yeah, whatever...after you blow out a knee, you tend to look at things a little differently. I'd rather be able to play my sport than impress people in the gym....or on the internet.

heathj
01-26-2002, 02:29 PM
Haha....get on aim fewl :p

Will your knee ever fully heal from that or is it fooked forever?

IceRgrrl
01-26-2002, 02:32 PM
It's been fixed, but usually it's not quite 100% good-as-new. From all the rehab and stuff, the leg that was injured is now the stronger one, but the repaired ACL is still the possibly weak link.

I have no trouble with it now, other than a little aching once in awhile (and some creaks/clicks with certain movements....like lying leg curls) but I'd like it to stay that way.

IceRgrrl
01-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Saturday: back/bi's

Whoo hoo! I was able to do my whole workout at home today with the stuff that I've been accumulating for my future home gym and...I did deadlifts :)

I just love, love, love those people who buy stuff every New Year's and sell it for a song a few months later. Garage/yard sales in the high-rent neighborhoods are the best!

Pullups:
Done on a pullup bar. I climbed up there on a bench, got myself into the top position and held it, then lowered slowly. After 8 reps, I couldn't do it any more.

Bent over BB row:
Wide grip; I could feel the effect of my so-called pullups on these...
10 x 50#, 8 x 60#, 8 x 60#

BB shrugs: 8 x 100#, 8 x 100#, 6 x 100# (grip failed here)

Since I had no rack to pick up the bar from, I had to deadlift the weight. I've never really done those, but I had to get the bar off the floor somehow. Had to experiment a little bit and check my form, but ended up doing sumo-style/wide stance/arms inside knees. If I tried to use a narrower stance and arms outside my legs, I just racked my legs and had to bend over too much to get the bar past my kneecaps. But I have to say, it WAS fun in a sick sort of way.
3 x 100# (one for each set of shrugs), PLUS 6 x 100# just for fun ;)

Bicep curls: arms fried from pullup hangs
7 x 40#, 6 x 40#, 5 x 40#

Now I can head out for the evening with a sense of accomplishment...

Alex.V
01-26-2002, 08:41 PM
You deadlifted.

:eek:

*siiiiiiiiiiiigh* :)

IceRgrrl
01-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Yes I did! ;)

And I'm feeling it a little today...just a light soreness from my neck down to my hams, although some of that is from the pullup holds/negatives.

Sunday: 30 min. run. It was 50-something degrees and sunny so I had to get outside and get some fresh air and exercise.

Also made a pilgrimage to the M.A.C. counter with one of my friends and let this chick with seven colors of eye shadow, bright pink lipstick, and several facial piercings put make-up on me....a true girly moment, LOL!

Actually, she did a good job and gave me some cool suggestions that didn't shock my "normally wear only eye liner, concealer, and a little lip gloss" sensibilities. It was fun...

heathj
01-27-2002, 03:45 PM
You deadlifted...

:eek:

*Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh* :)

IceRgrrl
01-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Tuesday: 1.5+ hours of hockey...damn, that was fun!

It's midnight, I just ate some cheese, I'm going to bed...

IceRgrrl
01-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Wednesday: chest/shd/tri's

No spotter today so I decided to go lighter/more reps.

Bench press: My shoulders felt pretty good, more stable and I think doing the DB bench presses have helped. I'm going to keep cycling BB/DB bench since it feels like it's working.
15 x 75#, 10 x 85#, 5 x 95#

Assisted dips: Different machine than at the other gym...had to fiddle with it for a bit to get the wieght/ROM right.
6 x -60#, 6 x -60#, 7 x -80#

DB overhead press: 6 x 20#DB, 6 x 20# DB, 10 x 15# DB

Close-grip bench: 8 x 45#, 7 x 45#, 6 x 45#

IceRgrrl
01-31-2002, 05:19 PM
Thursday: 30 min. interval run on the treadmill in my laundry room

...because Mom always said "If it's too snowy outside to go to school then it's also too snowy to run outside after you've spent most of the day sleeping and chatting with ppl on the internet."

YatesNightBlade
02-01-2002, 03:25 AM
heh

IceRgrrl
02-01-2002, 08:27 AM

Pullup: Another round of static hold at the top and slow negatives. These just kill me, but it feels good.
5, 5, 3 with my 150 lbs. of bodyweight.

T-bar row: I was at the other gym this morning that has a T-bar (the one where you lean against a pad at a 45 degree angle to the floor and pull up on a bar/frame) so I gave it a go.
8 x frame+30#, 7 x frame+35#, 7 x frame+30#

BB shrugs:
10 x 100#, 10 x 100#, 8 x 110#

BB Bicep curl: 8 x 40#, 7 x 40#, 5 x 40#

I'm taking off this evening for a weekend hockey tournament with my youth team, so that'll be it until Monday.

ericg
02-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Howd you like the t bars??

Good luck with the tourny ;)

Alex.V
02-01-2002, 11:26 AM

Pullup: Another round of static hold at the top and slow negatives. These just kill me, but it feels good.
5, 5, 3 with my 150 lbs. of bodyweight.

Very nice. And yeah, good luck this weekend!

IceRgrrl
02-04-2002, 10:25 AM
ericg: The T-bar row was different. I liked it b/c it took my lower back/rest of my body out of it and really made me work only the back. I was sore the next day or two, though it was probably partly the pullups too...

B: Thanks :) I'm getting stronger on those...

heathj
02-04-2002, 10:26 AM
:whip:

Good job IceT...errr... :D

IceRgrrl
02-04-2002, 10:30 AM
I'm back from the tournament...what a wild ride. We lost in the championship game late on Sunday. The third period ended in a tie so we went to a 3 min. sudden death overtime, then a 4-on-4 3 min. overtime, then a 3-on-3. It was still tied, so each team choose five shooters for the shoot-out. The other team won the shootout, mostly because our team had never been in a shoot-out situation and were very, very nervous. Still, this team went 0-2-1 last year in the same tournament, so the improvement this year was notable.

Monday: The weekend travel/emotion/lack of sleep caught up to me and I woke up feeling very zombie-like. So it was off to the gym to try and wake myself up.

40 min. Stairmaster: 10 min. warm-up/steady, 20 min. hard intervals, 10 steady/cooldown

I felt jazzed for about an hour after that and now I'm sinking back into "I wish I could just take a nap" land.

IceRgrrl
02-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Hmmmm...ever since last week I've been noticing a little stiffness/fluid in my left knee (the bad one). I'm thinking that those HS leg ext. that bothered me last leg day are to blame....won't do those again.

That's why I haven't done legs since then. I'm just going to wait until the stiffness/odd feeling subsides and then slowly go back to the tried-and-true leg routine...leg press, lunges, leg curl or SLDL, and calves.

This also means no running for awhile. I'll fall back on cycling/Spinning and the stair machine or anything with no impact for the time being.

IceRgrrl
02-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Wednesday: chest/shd/tri's

DB chest press: 8 x 20#, 8 x 30#, 8 x 30#, 8 x 30#
Don't know where that extra came from, but I'll take it. Time to move up in weight, I guess.

Assisted dips: 7 x BW-60#, 7 x BW-60#, 12 x BW-80#

DB overhead press: 8 x 20#, 8 x 20#, 15 x 15#

Close-grip BB bench: 9 x 45#, 8 x 45#, 8 x 45#

The DB chest press really lets me focus the work on my chest muscles and not so much on my shoulders and tri's. Last chest/shd/tri day I did BB bench and was a lot more fatigued for the other exercises. Rotating DB bench with flat or decline bench seems to be working for me, so I'm sticking with it for now :)

My cutting diet suddenly seems to have kicked in. My weekend trip resulted in some different meals, not necessarily full cheat days, but more/different than the usual and I think it gave my metabolism a kick in the pants. I don't weigh myself until Friday, but suddenly these last two days my clothes are roomier than usual. Whoo hoo!

IceRgrrl
02-07-2002, 10:08 AM
I am having the best/strangest day...must be the phase of the moon or something...

Anyway, I'm done with classes for the day and I'm heading off to the ice arena for an hour or two to skate/work on some hockey stuff. That will count as my cardio for the day :)

heathj
02-07-2002, 10:10 AM
What's so good and weird about your day? Please elaborate ;)

IceRgrrl
02-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Sorry, heathy...can't go into details right now ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway...workouts on hold for a few days here while I have some other stuff going on. Diet is going very well...down a few pounds, a few % bf, and clothes fit differently so I'm concluding that I'm meeting my goal of cutting without losing too much muscle or energy.

This journal will resume soon...

heathj
02-10-2002, 12:46 AM
You can PM it to me ;)

IceRgrrl
02-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Rather tired this morning (too much weekend) but getting the week off to a good start seems to make a good week so...

Back/biceps:
Pullup/hangs: 5, 5, 4 with BW, very slow with pauses where I could...

T-bar row: I liked this last week so I did it again :)
8 x frame+35#, 8 x frame+35#, 12 x frame+25#

Hyperextensions: I felt like my lower back needed the stretch and the work.
12 x BW+10#, 12 x BW+10#, 10 x BW+10#

COncentration curls: I did these at home (while my hair was drying) with my adjustable dumbells...two 5 lb. plates + 2 collars + weight of the bar, probably about 15 lbs. each.
8, 8, 5

Incidentally, blow drying one's hair directly after a workout is a challenge...my arms and back felt very fatigued.

How did it come to be Monday again so quickly? I'm not ready...
:p

IceRgrrl
02-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Insane day...taught at the extension campus this morning, drove to the main campus for a department meeting at noon, drove home to let dogs out/eat, then I'm off for my youth hockey game, then back to main campus for my evening class...good Lord. I get 10 mpg on a good day with my truck so this was a very expensive day fuel-wise...

Good thing I went to the gym first thing this morning...

45 min. Spinning class:
This is always my fallback cardio...my left knee is still a little stiff (no more leg extensions for me ever again) and this way I got my harcore cardio with no impact. Today's little ego boost: I see that I can recover from heart rate of 172 bpm down to 125 bpm in about 30 seconds. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-12-2002, 03:21 PM
great pullups babe.

Most of the girls i know have trouble bending over to tie their shoe laces nevermind pulling their own bodyweight...

IceRgrrl
02-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks, CD! I'm just doing holds and negatives right now...building up to full pullups :) They're doing good things for my back, I can tell you that...

vpy
02-13-2002, 03:56 PM
haven't read your journal in a while, but I'm still impressed with your dedication. I'm going to have to get my fiance to read your journal for inspiration. :)

IceRgrrl
02-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Thanks, vpy :) I appreciate the feedback...

Wednesday was a rest day...because Mon/Tues. are my long days at work and I started the week tired. Today I'm feeling much more rested and energetic.

Also, the &#@!^ female hormones cleared the system apparently, and I'm down even more lbs. than I thought earlier this week. I got some good herbal tea that obviously is helping with the PMS water retention. The monthly hormone swings can really mess with your head when cutting...

Which is why, in true geek fashion, I am collected good hard data...that way I can get a true picture of my progress and throw the emotional/subjective judgements out the window. So what if I "feel fat" or "feel bloated"...I have charts and graphs that show an overall downward trend over the past month and a half to tell me not to overreact. I like data...

I'm done with classes and am off to my ice time to skate/work on hockey stuff. And tomorrow is chest/shoulder/triceps day to end the week.

Happy Valentine's Day :p

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 10:57 AM
lol. mmm, data. Probably a good idea, actually. ;)
What's your total loss over the last couple of weeks?

Happy V-day...

IceRgrrl
02-14-2002, 11:44 AM
I've lost about 5 pounds in about 6 weeks. My goal was to hit between 0.5 and 1 lb. per week since I want to lose bf and keep as much muscle as possible. So far, so good. I needed at least a month and a half of data to see how I'm doing and now that I have it, I'm happy with the results.

Happy V-day to you too...even though you've been neglecting me recently...:cry:

(j/k) ;)

Alex.V
02-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Excellent, so you're right on target, and your strength is staying good. :)

I HAVE been bad lately, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you. :D

Blood&Iron
02-14-2002, 12:09 PM
I have charts and graphs that show an overall downward trend over the past month and a half to tell me not to overreact. I like data...

And I thought I was bad.:D

FINALLY, someone even geekier than me. I can just see you. For some reason I'm flashing to you as a sorta female Ross Perot, with a laser pointer and a bunch of pie charts and graphs.

IceRgrrl: Well, ya see what we got here is fat loss. This generation doesn't know the first thing about fat. Again, see, I didn't create this problem. We're trying to solve it. Now, if you study our international competitors, some of our international
competitors lose up to 2lbs a week. But...

Moderator: Your time is expired.

IceRgrrl: Can I finish?

IceRgrrl
02-14-2002, 02:25 PM
LMAO! That was good, B&I...very good. I liked it :D

Yes, I have my geeky side but I keep it to myself most of the time...don't want to bore the crap out of people with my charts and graphs.

Seriously though, it helps to have facts to base my decisions and modifications on. Otherwise I find it's way too easy to just keep changing things up on a whim or based on how you feel on a particular day.

Blood&Iron
02-14-2002, 02:41 PM
LMAO! That was good, B&I...very good. I liked it :D

Yes, I have my geeky side but I keep it to myself most of the time...

It's useless for me to try and hide it. Actually, I've thought about going around in a Star Trek uniform to forewarn everyone about just how geeky I am. Remember that juror--can't remember the case--who did that in an attempt to promote the values of Star Trek. Now, that was funny sh*t.

don't want to bore the crap out of people with my charts and graphs.

Seriously though, it helps to have facts to base my decisions and modifications on. Otherwise I find it's way too easy to just keep changing things up on a whim or based on how you feel on a particular day.
No argument here.

IceRgrrl
02-14-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I love Monty Python and Douglas Adams and played a lot of Dungeons & Dragons in college....that's pretty geeky.

But luckily I have some things to balance it out: First of all, I'm a chick and chicks don't get labelled as geeks as easily as guys. And I also have my big-time jock side...play hockey, played football, lift weights, watch just about any sport that's on TV (I draw the line at golf and bowling). And I look like Angie Harmon...

(Just don't tell anyone about my collection of math books and graphing calculators...)

Blood&Iron
02-14-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I love Monty Python and Douglas Adams and played a lot of Dungeons & Dragons in college....that's pretty geeky.

Actually, Star Trek kinda sucks. My fav is and ever will be "Red Dwarf" but I don't think too many on this side of the Atlantic have ever seen it. Plus it doesn't carry nearly the dorkiness quotient of Star Trek.

But luckily I have some things to balance it out: First of all, I'm a chick and chicks don't get labelled as geeks as easily as guys.

And I also have my big-time jock side...play hockey, played football, lift weights, watch just about any sport that's on TV (I draw the line at golf and bowling). And I look like Angie Harmon...

(Just don't tell anyone about my collection of math books and graphing calculators...)
Well, let me run a similar calculation:
1)B.S. in computer science
2)Has read "The Wheel of Time"
3)Likes playing computer games

I think I'm pretty well f*cked.

IceRgrrl
02-15-2002, 05:54 AM
Red Dwarf is awesome...they show it on public TV late at night here, along with a bunch of other British shows. I used to watch Dr. Who too....my fav was Tom Baker ;)

Hurrah for geeks!

IceRgrrl
02-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Chest/shd/tri's:

I had an awesome workout today...had strength and energy to burn and everything went up/everything felt good.

HS decline press: 8 x frame+100#, 8 x frame+100#, 13 x frame+70# (gotta go up in weight next time)

Assisted dips: 7 x -45#, 7 x -45#, 7 x -50#

DB overhead press: 8 x 20#DB, 8 x 20# DB, 7 x 20#DB (gotta move these up too...and I'm very happy that my shoulder is behaving).

Close-grip bench: 8 x 45#, 8 x 45#, 10 x 45# Wow. Usually I just use these to burn out what's left of my chest/tri strength at the end of the workout, but I had more than usual left today!

I don't know what to attribute the better than usual workout to...could be leaving a few more days in between workouts is allowing me to recover better for the next one. It also could be that I had a nice big cheat meal last night...after 6 weeks of cutting, maybe I just needed a metabolic jolt.

Whatever it is, I like it!

IceRgrrl
02-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Just for fun...for a limited time only...IceRgrrl's photo album!

IceRgrrl
02-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Another one...

IceRgrrl
02-15-2002, 01:34 PM
One more...some of you have already seen this one of me and my sister...

Chris Rodgers
02-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Athletic chicks=ACE!!!!

Lookin good and hardcore too. :whip:

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Nice CG BP!

Nice pics too, the first one really does it for me...

~busts nut in someone elses journal and walks off leaving the mess~

Blood&Iron
02-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Great pics. Why only a limited time, though?

IceRgrrl
02-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys...glad you liked the pics..B&I, I usually don't leave "personal stuff" laying around the internet unsupervised, so I'll take the pics down shortly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's cardio consisted of hockey practice with my youth team. We had quite a few players missing, so I ended up filling in on drills...which is always fun :)

Two games tomorrow...

Orange357
02-16-2002, 03:37 PM
*Is very happy he didnt miss the pics*

IceRgrrl
02-20-2002, 01:37 PM
No workouts this week...extenuating circumstances that sort of put everything else on the back burner for a bit. But I'll be back with a vengeance next week.

I've gotten some activity in though with my youth hockey team. We're going to a tournament in Canada this weekend and have been holding practice every night this week to get ready.

My diet is also on hold this week due to lack of interest in eating...'twill be back soon though, I'm sure. Me and my appetite are seldom parted for long :)

IceRgrrl
02-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Friday: 30 min. run. Felt good to get sweat and get some serious activity in.

ElPietro
02-22-2002, 08:03 PM
I just saw your pics. What grade math do you teach and how do I get in? I promise to be good... :drooling:

IceRgrrl
02-23-2002, 10:36 AM
LOL...I teach college...anything from algebra to calculus to statistics to differential eqns....still sounding good? ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 10:50 AM
"lack of interest in eating" - WTF?! are you mental?

hey, quick curious question. What would you do if one of your pupils discovered this site by accident and saw how you acted online - abusing the winking smileys and what-not?....;)

IceRgrrl
02-23-2002, 11:04 AM
LOL...hey, it's not often that I'm not hungry...last week was just an aberration...I was upset about a tragic death of someone so that sort of screwed up my week.

Ha...if my students only knew how I acted outside of school!

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 11:08 AM
that first pics is totally tits.

have you seen scary movie when that dude makes his girl dress up in the all the football gear?