PDA

View Full Version : From Runner's High to Runner's Ache

raniali
12-09-2002, 04:13 PM
I've been a runner for as long as I can remember but several lower leg injuries have reduced my running to no more than 1-2 a week at most. I don't run regularly anymore because I have noticed that over the past year I am SOOOOOOO unbelievably sore afterwards I can barely walk/move/exist without whining. Well - yesterday I did it again .... 6 miles is easy as pie, so easy I could have kept running till the next city but I stopped because I needed to be somewhere soon......HOWEVER, the moment I stop running, my ENTIRE body tightens up: from traps to calves. I have always been very flexible, so I stretch ... but with muscles this tight, it hurts like hell. The next day (today) is always the worst too -- I can hardly roll over to get out of bed, let alone function without feeling like I should be in a wheelchair.

Like I said - this has never been a problem before. I used to think it was because I would run the day or two after training legs - but I can tell it's not. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions to help with this? I always have reservations about resorting to medication ... so something less intrusive is preferred.

A friend told me about a marathon runner who needs canes and walkers after running -- that's how I feel and it SUX! Help - I need an all-day massage!!!!!!

Allie
12-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Maybe try a slow transition to the end of your run, take the intesity down to a light job, fom there a fast walk till you are doing a normal walk, maybe the cool down transition will give your body that taper effect to the end of your cardio.

ectx
12-09-2002, 05:11 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing Allie did. Why not walk for 5 minutes after you run and then do a ten minute stretch. I'd also take an antioxidant cocktail...maybe some Vit. C, E, and A afterwards to help you out. Another thing to consider is that maybe, if the soreness is real bad the day afterward you need to "flush" out the lactic acid build up by doing some light cycling. What if you did two 30 min runs/ week and one hour run/week...that way you don't shock your body so much, but you can still get a medium distance run in? Just a thought. Those are just things that have helped me get back into running after several joint injuries.