PDA

View Full Version : Misunderstanding

Big Show
07-09-2001, 07:43 PM
Next week I have to go for an ultrasound test which requires a 4 hr fast 'cause at my last check up the doctor thought that my enzyme levels were high. Personally I feel that this is simply a case of being compared to a person who doesn't bodybuild & eat 5-6 meals a day. I would like to know if eating the amounts of protein & carbs neccesary for growth could be the main reason for this elevation.

Big Show
07-09-2001, 07:50 PM
Oh I forgot to add that the doctor that arranged for the test also suggested that I should cut down my workouts to maybe once/twice a week @ max. Personally I think this is a case of a medical professional who doesn't understand how the human body works differently for a bodybuilder than for your average person

Taras
07-09-2001, 08:09 PM
Which enzyme levels were high, and how high were they?

Big Show
07-09-2001, 08:14 PM
What types are there?. He never said how high just that they seemed high. Again my impression was that he was basing his assumptions on someone who eats 3 times a day not 5-6

IceRgrrl
07-10-2001, 07:25 AM
Big Show, is it possible for you to see another doc (second opinion?) who works with athletes? He/she might be more helpful to you...

Some docs feel that if you're upright and able to walk and do your job, that's "normal." I've "fired" a few of those in the past for being of no help whatsoever.

Tryska
07-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Just as a tip from now on big show, no matter what you decide to do?

find out the details of any tests you receive, including what was tested and what the levels were. This way it's easier to figure out if the doc is kosher or not. Also, if your doc won't give oyu exact lab results, preferably a copy of the report as well, fire him/her and find a new one.

It's difficult to advice you if all the exact details aren't provided.

Taras
07-11-2001, 08:36 PM
I would ask him why he thinks the enzyme levels are high. (Maybe he'll know better after the ultrasound.) I assume he's talking about liver enzymes. I'm not sure how working out could elevate your liver enzymes, although it could elevate blood levels of muscle enzymes. Are you getting carried away with any vitamin/mineral supplements? Too much vitamin A or niacin can damage your liver, as can too much alcohol or acetaminophen.