PDA

View Full Version : Doc's Deer Hunter Chili

the doc
12-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Cant believe its winter time and no one has posted a chili recipe!

Here's what i cooked up last weekend

7 lbs fresh ground deer meat
3 onions
4 tbsp chopped garlic
8 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp cumin
12 tbsp chili powder (dark)
1 28 oz can crushed tomato
1 28 oz can diced tomato
4 chopped green peppers
42 oz water
1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti pasta

Ground up your deer in the trusty meat grinder, coarse grind is fine.
Brown deer meat with first 6 ingredients + 1/2 of the chili powder (approx 10-15 min on high)

Add tomatoes and water and rest of chili powder. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour (Covered). Add in pasta and allow to simmer for an additional hour. Enjoy!

(you can substitute 1 lb of beans for pasta)

Makes 24 1.25 cup servings :D

Relentless
12-10-2002, 08:07 AM
suggestion: venison is usually too lean and you don't get enough tasty fat in the recipe as is... substitute 1lb of regular ground beef for one pound of the deer

I'm also a fan of cooking it in the crock pot, leaving it to simmer all day and coming home to it in the evening and to a house filled with the smell of the chili.

Oh, and where's the beans in that recipe?

IceRgrrl
12-10-2002, 08:13 AM
Nice one, doc! Thanks for sharing...

I like the straight venison myself...I've gotten so used to it that regular ground beef tastes so bland and greasy.

the doc
12-10-2002, 08:27 AM
cal, you are right about the deer being very lean, that is the purpose of adding 8 tbsp of olive oil
also, i mentioned you could add beans instead of spaghetti toward the end of the post

A lot of times i add beans in later when i reheat the stuff

Icerr, funny you should mention that, I almost never use ground beef anymore except when i run out of deer and for things that are cooked on the grill ( where a large portion of that fat drips away) such as burgers. I definitely agree it is very bland and i usually mix spices and onions with the ground beef as i make the burger patties (i also will purchase lean ground beef)

deer is definitely the best way to go though. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt at least once or twice more before the season ends. you can never have enough venison!

the doc
12-10-2002, 08:28 AM
oh and i'll try to figure the macros tonight

Berserker
12-10-2002, 10:31 AM
I don't agree with adding beef to venision. I've made chili and other things with just venision and thought it was fine. I do like making in the slow cooker though. I add red and green peppers and usually a hot pepper too. Getting ready to make some soon, blanced and froze tomatoes from the garden this year.

Tryska
12-10-2002, 10:42 AM
i hate using the slow cooker for things like that. seems liek the spices never blend right.

the doc
12-10-2002, 10:51 AM
forgot about the green peppers, see edit

slow cooker is not necessary, it only takes 2-3 hours

Berserker
12-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Slow cookers are the next best thing or better then a wife. You have a hot meal when you come home from work. As far as spices not blending I am not sure why this would happen. What the difference? Ingredients in big pot being heated. Both ways are fine.

Tryska
12-10-2002, 12:58 PM
i think it's because they don't temper by simmering at a high enough temperature together.

certain things the crockpot works well for, but imo, nothing that has a lot of spices that need to meld together.