PDA

View Full Version : lose 5 pounds by sat????

kimpy225
12-10-2002, 08:16 AM
i am in my consumer economics class
and this kid keeps talking about how he has to lose 5 pounds by saturday! for wrestling
im like WHAT
he is eating a protein bar
its so annoying
can he seriously lose 5 pounds from now (tues) to this saturday??
what could he even do to achieve that??
can he do that? or is he just as insane as he acts?

Relentless
12-10-2002, 08:17 AM
depends on the person

I can lose 5lbs over a weekend without hardly trying through water loss

granted 5lbs is like 2% of my total mass; it'd be a different story for a 165lb wrestler at low BF% to start with to do so

hemants
12-10-2002, 08:18 AM
He could probably lose 5 lbs of water but it would come back as quickly as it went.

kimpy225
12-10-2002, 08:28 AM
yea he is like 160 or so
he doesnt seem to be very built or anything
he claims he lifts but i dunno
my calves seem better than his.. hehe
so it would be water mostly lost?? hmm how could he even do that?

YatesNightBlade
12-10-2002, 08:43 AM
yeah he could do that. I gained 20+ pounds in a week once so im sure he could lose 5. no probs.

mmac
12-10-2002, 08:49 AM
In five days I bet he could lose 12lbs. Ive seen it done in wrestling. Once you stop eating, your stomach, intestines clear out. This adds up to alot of weight. Then if you stop drinking water, so do your cells. Ive seen kids lose 5lbs overnight and have done it myself. The best way is to buy a rubber suit, and then put a snowsuit on over that. I used plastic baggies on my hands and feet too. THen you start running. Within 10mins. you will work up a sweat like you have seen before. This was dumb and I will never do it again, but very possible.

Shao-LiN
12-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Starve yourself. You'll lose it pretty quick.

kimpy225
12-10-2002, 02:21 PM
isnt that really bad for you thought?
wouldnt that affect when he plays if he starved himself for the week or something????
woh crazy

but also.. he is still eating. so does that affect it too?

Relentless
12-10-2002, 02:29 PM
IIRC, the drill is to starve yourself down to make weigh-in and then get some food into you ASAP so you can wrestle...

bradley
12-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by kimpy225
isnt that really bad for you thought?
wouldnt that affect when he plays if he starved himself for the week or something????
woh crazy

but also.. he is still eating. so does that affect it too?

It is very possible although I think everyone will agree that it is not recommended. I have heard of wrestlers taking a stationary bike into the sauna and riding to make weight before a competition. If he limits his water intake and exercises, while keeping food intake to a minimum then he could lose 5lbs.

kimpy225
12-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by bradley
If he limits his water intake and exercises, while keeping food intake to a minimum then he could lose 5lbs.

should i tell him not to drink his gigantic water bottle then??
cause its huge..
ok ill be like ... no.. dont drink all of that tuttut

thanks for all of your help and quick responses :)
i love this board!

Fluid
12-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Drinking more water means less retention. He could drink 1.5+ gallons per day then limit his water intake on Saturday.

As for losing 5 lbs, it's not safe, it's terrible wrestling coaches make kids do this.

Fluid

Stray
12-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Starve yourself and the 5lbs he loses will be more muscle than fat.

Your body will canabalize itself for energy.

But I agree with the above...most "fast" weight loss is water loss.

bradley
12-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kimpy225

should i tell him not to drink his gigantic water bottle then??
cause its huge..
ok ill be like ... no.. dont drink all of that tuttut

thanks for all of your help and quick responses :)
i love this board!

I am in no way advocating that he do this. This is based on the measures that wrestlers have taken to make weight for a competition, and I have never tried to do this. If he does make his weight class make sure that you tell him to rehydrate immediately after weigh in. I agree with fluid in that coaches should advocate cutting weight gradually.

steveo
12-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Before my last contest I drop 8lbs in three days, with Taroxitone(sp?) and cutting out water for the last 18 hrs

kimpy225
12-10-2002, 06:49 PM
wowie
oh yea i wouldnt be like- no water ever again
he just thinks a lot of water will help
and you guys are just saying you would lose the water weight and if he keeps drinking and drinking more and more water.. that wont help him right?

i think its crazy to "make weight" for wrestling and everything
crazy..

GIS
12-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Welcome to wrestling. My high school had one of the better programs in the state and before weighin for meets the whole wrestling team would be sucking on hard candy and constantly spit into garbage cans, water bottles, the wall.... you name it. Some of the 200 pound guys would easily lose 10 pounds after doing this for a day and not eating.

pat s
12-12-2002, 11:52 PM
If a wrestler had a couple hours between weigh in and they're match i wonder how much weight he could gain back if he went on a keto diet and depleted his muscle's glycogen stores(since glycogen is stored with water)and right after weighing in he started pounding down high GI liquids with some creatine and potassium supplementation?

Steve Williams
12-16-2002, 07:53 PM
You could do it easy ... boxers do it all the time to get down to the weight division

I wouldn't recommend more than 2.5 lbs weight loss per week

Steve