PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding diet sabatoge while eating out on the road

veggiqueen
12-10-2002, 02:22 PM
What do bodybuilders eat when they are out?

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. The reason I am here is because I am researching a new business. I would like to open a health food store that serves both quickie convenience items and hot foods as well. I wish to cater to all aspect of diets including, but not limited to vegetarian/vegan, diabetics, and bodybuilders. What I would like to know if there is a need or a desire for such a place and if so what would bodybuilders, like yourself, like to see in such a place? You would be doing a great service to me and the health concious shoppers in my community. My husband thinks I should just open up a regular convenience store (selling the usual ding dongs and pepsi) but I would rather be immersed in something that I truly believe in, OPTIMUM HEALTH!!

I want to thank anyone who can help me, and I am very greatful. Thanks VeggiQueen

hemants
12-10-2002, 02:31 PM
I think that the food courts of the world need a place that serves meals and tell you the macronutrient breakdown. You could call it Health Zone or something (not to rip off the Zone or anything but you could leverage off of it's popularity :) )

Also, there are lots of juice places but they too don't tell you what's in them in terms of macronutrients.

If I could get a high protein smoothie every afternoon to tie me over before dinner that was something like 30g/50g/10g protein/carb/fat then that would be ace (as long as the carbs were primarily from fruit and the fat was from nut or vegetable oil).

Whatever you decide, I think that listing both ingredients and macronutrient breakdown would be a key point of differentiation.

good luck!

Relentless
12-10-2002, 02:33 PM
I can't always find it, but middle eastern foods are usually what I go for when I'm on the road... if I can't make my own food, a beef shwarma wrap is a pretty damn good substitute

This market is probably too narrow to support a store on its own though; I would think it'd be best to have a 'health counter' within a regular convenience store... just make sure your local promo and your exterior signage indicates that you are "more than a regular convenience store" and set up shop in an area with a positive demog (yuppies and retirees is a good mix; wealthy, healthy and mobile)

raniali
12-10-2002, 03:05 PM
i usually try to find me a chicken or beef bowl somewhere - minus the sauce - if I eat on the run. Sometimes I will order basic chinese because it is mainly just meat, vegetables and rice - simple and complete.
A variety of protein bars would be a good addition in a convience store ... by protein I do not mean the traditional 'protein' or energy bars sold at most places (cliffbar etc).

AdamGberg
12-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Subway!?!?

bigkevin20
12-10-2002, 03:13 PM
I wish they had high protein microwave dinners in the freezer section. Dont have to taste great just make it with all carbs and proteins needed. Something I could pick up and no its healthy pointed specificaly to us lifters.
every time I am out I go to the supermarket instead of a fast food joint and never no what to get for a quick meal. I walk around for like 20 minutes and end up getting someting with tuna in it.

bigkevin20
12-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Met Rex should make something like prepackaged dinners or some other supp company. It would at least put my mind at eas when I am on the road and have them cheap so I can get alot of them.

Fluid
12-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Go for grilled chicken, vegetables and low GI carbohydrates. Always drink water.

Fluid

AJ_11
12-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by bigkevin20
every time I am out I go to the supermarket instead of a fast food joint and never no what to get for a quick meal. I walk around for like 20 minutes and end up getting someting with tuna in it.

Dude there is always cottage cheese. I usually get that with some WW crackers or carrots. People do look at me funny when I sit and eat it on the bus, but that okay becasue they're all funny looking.

veggiqueen
12-10-2002, 08:28 PM
You read my mind about posting the ingrediants on the food and drinks prepared on the premises. The Macronutrients, however had not occured to me and I think it is a fabulous idea. I am so exited after reading your reply, I think this venture can be a real challenge and I am looking forward to educating myself to the needs of my potential customers. THANKS!!!!! VeggiQueen

veggiqueen
12-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Funny enough my own day started out with a bad start when I was on my way to an appointment , running late, and looking for a quickie breakfast. I stopped at four convenience stores only to walk out frustrated because of the unhealthy choices that were identical in all of them. This experience, although not unfamiliar to me, reenforced my reasons for wanting to set up shop. Either that or runaway to an area that can cater to my needs.

Reading everyones responses to my post has made a trying day end on a positive and hopeful note.

CALLAHAN- NOW I AM GOING TO LOOK UP RECIPIES FOR SHWARMA WRAPS, WHAT EVER THEY ARE, AND MOST LIKELY VEGETIZE THEM FOR MY OWN PERSONAL NEEDS.

Everyones ideas have been inspiring. I think together we can combine ideas for the utopia of convienience stores!!!! Thanks, VeggiQueen. :micro:

Tiare
12-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Offer multiple but similar menus for low fat, low carb, and isocaloric choices. Offer meat or meatless choices in them.

Just my .02

bigkevin20
12-11-2002, 10:08 AM
what about my idea? Is it stupid or not reasonable?

Tryska
12-11-2002, 10:18 AM
it is damn hard to find decent protein.

hemants
12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Also, to maximize throughput you have to offer something throughout the day.

eg. morning - smoothies with several different protein choices
lunch - various entre's
dinner - buffet style and/or takeout stuff that people can take home or eat in house

another good trend is selling organic bodum made coffee - that stuff is so freaking amazing...:)

phatmike
12-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Depending on the location, your idea is definetly doable. But the key is LOCATION. For example there is a place about 3 minutes away from my office that is called "The Fitness Cafe". They have all kinds of healthy foods like grilled chicken (or any other lean meat) sandwiches, salads, smoothies etc. On their menu, the cool thing is that they have all of the Macro breakdowns for every item that they sell. They also have an assortment of protein bars and the like. Now like I said, the reason why this place is even in business, is because of it's location in North Scottsdale (Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix AZ) Now if anybody has ever been to North Scottsdale, it is full of rich, pretty, trendy people. This cafe is more of a place to be seen after your workout than anything (it just so happens that this cafe is minutes away from one of the bigger gyms over here). That being said, the food is great, and the people are very nice. The thing is though, that this cafe would not survive in just any part of Phoenix. It found the perfect place where people would latch onto it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tryska
12-11-2002, 11:28 AM
agreed.

veggiqueen
12-11-2002, 03:43 PM
BigKevin, I loved your idea- Did you not notice the microwave smiley I selected in honor of your idea? And yes, prices should be reasonable. You would not believe what some places charge for a dinky box of frozen vegetarian meals. A pot pie goes for around $4. And for what, some pie crust and a few veggies?

Berserker
12-11-2002, 04:27 PM
When I go to a gas station for food I want to grab it off the shelf and go. Most places have milk, which is good. Some protein bar sounds like a great idea. They will also keep for awhile. Plus with the popularity of the atkins diet might go good. As for meals, its rare I buy something I have to heat up in a microwave.
As far as protein smoothies, sure sounds good I'd get one if they were there. But not sure if its a great choice. Not alot of people are going to buy them, and a limited shelf life.
I would do some advertisment at gyms. The problem vegan and bodybulders make up a limited part of the population. I might start small and see how it goes. Just my thoughts.

fuzz
12-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Some ideas for fast food choices:

mcdonalds: chicken mcgrill w/ no mayo - no fries

wendys: plain chili, double stack cheese burger w/ no bun

taco bell: chicken soft taco

pizza places: good luck - maybe half the cheese and double chicken?

This is about the best you can do as far as the big fast food joints.