PDA

View Full Version : Flax and omega-3 EFAs

Jane
07-10-2001, 11:37 AM
I am looking to get more omega-3s EFA's into my diet. I know flax, salmon, and tuna are good sources. I don't know how to use flax seeds/flax meal though. Don't you have to grind the seeds to get the benefits? And I bought some flax meal but how do I use it? Do I store it in the fridge once it is opened? I heard it spoils quickly. I also have some flax-fortified cereal by Lifestream--does that do any good?

Paul Stagg
07-10-2001, 12:52 PM
Flax oil.

Just down a tablespoon.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-10-2001, 12:53 PM
I've recently been putting my flax on my tuna and leaving it for a bit - it makes the tuna taste well lush.

Same for rice and chicken breast.

Anthony
07-10-2001, 12:54 PM
Flax oil is used as fat supplement.
Flax seeds are used to relieve constipation.
Flax meal I have no clue about.

If you don't mind the taste of flax oil, use it in salads or milk shakes, etc. Don't cook with it as heat destroys the nutritional value. And make sure to keep it in the fridge with a tight lid!

Jane
07-10-2001, 01:27 PM
How do you find flax oil? Can you make it out of flax seeds? What do you do with the seeds anyway?

Anthony
07-10-2001, 01:34 PM
Go to a health food store. I can't imagine a place in the United States that you could not find flax oil. I have heard of some people grinding seeds, but it seems like a pain in the ass to me.

hemants
07-10-2001, 01:36 PM
I put ground flax seeds in my shakes.

Whole seeds won't be digested all that easily but do have the value of fibre.

Alex.V
07-10-2001, 02:15 PM
http://www.netrition.com

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-10-2001, 02:23 PM
www.FlaxOnTap.com

Taras
07-11-2001, 08:55 PM
I buy flax seeds at a health food store for $1.99 a pound, and grind them up in an electric coffee bean grinder. If you do this you'll want to invest in a grinder to use just for seeds or nuts, because if you use it for coffee beans it's really hard to get all the ground coffee totally cleaned out. Three tablespoons of seeds provides you with 9 grams of oil and 6 grams of fiber, along with a few grams of carbs and protein. The advantage to seeds rather than oil is that you also get fiber and you don't have to worry about the oil turning rancid, because its hermetically sealed in the seeds until you grind them up!

Tryska
07-12-2001, 06:50 AM
that's an excellent method taras. and way cheaper too.

I might have to try that myself. thanks!:D

the doc
07-12-2001, 08:35 AM
yes grinding the seeds is an excellent way to fortify your diet. I used to do this until i realized i would need to eat a ton of flax meal/day to fortify all of the fat i needed (i would be on the toilot nonstop!)