PDA

View Full Version : CKD questions

Tank23
12-12-2002, 02:45 AM
I'm giving a CKD a go. I've read up on it but i have no experience with it. I have a few questions:

I know that you're supposed to be in a state of ketosis while on a CKD, but what if you were to be doing low carb but not low enough to be in a state of ketosis? Would this affect the outcome greatly?

I ask this question because I eat tomato sauce with my chicken and other meats, and I think tomato sauce (in the US i think y'all call it ketchup) has a bit of carbs in it, I don't know how much though, and if it will affect my CKD or not.

If I'm doing a lot of lifting at work, how will this affect my diet/training in terms of the CKD, i.e: will doing all this lifting cause me to deplete all my glycogen stores and maybe cannabalise my muscles? or something like that?

Any other info would be great too, like personal experience with the CKD and any other suggestions.

-Tank23

Shao-LiN
12-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Tank23
I know that you're supposed to be in a state of ketosis while on a CKD, but what if you were to be doing low carb but not low enough to be in a state of ketosis? Would this affect the outcome greatly?
-Tank23

Well, if you aren't eating to be in ketosis, then you aren't doing a CKD.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=34
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=45

2 links explaining CKD. You can also do a search to find numerous threads on the subject.

If you want to do a CKD, you'll have to suck it up and give up the carbs you usually eat. Veggies are pretty good to eat on a CKD, imo. Trace amount of carbs, but they're fibrous. You don't need the tomato sauce, hehe.

raniali
12-12-2002, 11:12 AM
if you do a lot of lifting at work ... you might begin to find it more difficult the longer you are in ketosis. any training on a ckd is done the first 2 days after carb-up when you have the energy and gylocgen to do so. you might want to try ckd for a few weeks to determine if it will impact your ability to work at your job or not..... the other viable option is a tkd if ckd won't work.

i say give it a few weeks - because you won't really begin to feel good in ketosis until after 1-2 weeks. And until you know how many carbs your body can use and still stay in keto -- give up all possible carb sources (including tomato sauce). honestly - you will probably be able to eat it but if you want to to do a ckd right, then start off without it.

pat s
12-13-2002, 12:25 AM
i had decent results with fat loss on a ckd but training intensity dropped and the poundages in my lifts suffered so i think i lost quite a bit of muscle too.if you try low carbs im guessing the constant state of low blood sugar without being in ketosis would be unbearable(ketosis has an apetite suppressing effect while low blood sugar causes intense cravings)(for me anyway).im going to be doing trying a tkd with a bi-monthly refeed.anyways good luck

Tank23
12-13-2002, 02:46 AM
hmmmm...i might have to drop the tomato sauce eh. Do y'all have any suggestions for a substitute? I find it hard to eat chicken, steak or beef without tomato sauce, without it it's too dry, what can i use instead?

-Tank

bradley
12-13-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Tank23
hmmmm...i might have to drop the tomato sauce eh. Do y'all have any suggestions for a substitute? I find it hard to eat chicken, steak or beef without tomato sauce, without it it's too dry, what can i use instead?

-Tank

You can order things like carb free ketchup from online supplement stores. Although I am not for sure about the taste and the price.

raniali
12-13-2002, 11:31 AM
if you are on a ckd -- then use mayo or italian dressing (make sure you choose a low carb dressing though).

pat s
12-13-2002, 12:48 PM
for your steak you can use worcestershire sauce you can find a brand with no carbs(the kind i use has 1 carb per tsp)when im on a keto i eat 5 meals and allow for 5-6 carbs per meal.thats how i stay under 30 g a day

Thor
12-13-2002, 11:51 PM
McDonald's chicken ceaser salad with ranch dressing is the ultimate ckd meal