PDA

View Full Version : How do you know your in keto?

Bam Bam
07-10-2001, 04:33 PM
i feel rappy but no yellow pee yet! What are the tell tale signs?

its my second day without carbs

Wizard
07-10-2001, 04:51 PM
It usually takes longer than only two days to get in...
You're gonna notice that you're in keto from the (really bad) smell of your breath.However don't let your gf be the first to notice you're in keto.. :p

Paul Stagg
07-11-2001, 07:40 AM
2 days should be sufficient - if you cant get into ketosis in 2 days, you need to change what you are doing.

The only way to know 100% is a blood test.

Barring that, the next best thing is ketostix.

Yellow urine is NOT a sign of ketosis.

Bad breath, an unusual smell from your urine, and brain fog are also ways to tell you are in ketoland.

Bam Bam
07-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Oohhh i got brain fog!!!!!! Yea yea

on the carb up saturday and sunday i am goint to try to limit fat for my first few meals to upregluate insulin responses. Any other dos and donts as far as keto goes???

the doc
07-11-2001, 09:15 PM
it takes me 3-4 days to get into some serious ketone production. Ketostix are useful, but high water sconsumption often dilutes them out to undetectable water.

Paul Stagg
07-12-2001, 07:27 AM
Yep - ketostix are not perfect if you are well hydrated.

If it takes you that long to get into ketoland, here are a couple of suggestions.

(You only have 100g or so of glycogen stored in your liver, which really shouldn't last much longer than 48 hours)

Increase your activity to burn off the energy.

Increase your fat intake and decrease protein... having your protein intake too high can keep you out of ketosis (due to gluconeogenesis)

the doc
07-12-2001, 08:32 AM
yes i think paul has hit it in the button, some people stack their workouts toward the beginning to deplete muscle glycogen ( i believe you can store up to 500 g of glycogen total in the body).
Also though i do feel the fog after the second day, but at a given water consumption level i usually dont show substantial ketone production until the third day. Also, i guess it kinda matters when you define ketosis- i think of it as more than ketone production, but when the fog starts to lift and the body has truely switched to fat as fuel.