PDA

View Full Version : Need Diet Help ,I'm a Newbie!!!!!

Los11
12-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Hey whats up guys. Well I just started working out again been pretty out of shape lately. I really need help with a diet as I dont know where to start and what to do please help me.... As for my stats and what I am eating right now this is it.
I am 24, I am 5 9' 230lb not really fat but husky you know, I am looking to lift for strength and size and just want to slim my waste line down and get into better shape as I will be going into law enforcement soon. My workout right now consists of 4 days weight lifting and 2 days Cardio 30 min and one day off. My diet right now is this.

Meal 1 breakfast
corn flakes with 2% milk and a bannana

Meal 2 Lunch
Protein shake, Turkey on wheat and a cup of fruit juice

Meal 3 dinner
Ckicken breast or Tuna, white rice or baked potatoe, Salad with vinger half cup of juice

Meal 4 snack
Fruit, oranges, grapes etc

Drinking water all day long over 100 ounces

I have tried this workout for a week lost 5lbs. I am gonna start taking ,Hydroxycut and NO2 and want to incorporate and awesome diet so I can get leaner like 220lbs and alot more muscle, what do you guys think any help will be greatly appreciated cause I need help I will be starting Police academy soon and I want to be in better shape. So basically what would be a good routine to follow with the info i have given to reach my goals

thanks guys Happy Holidays

Carlos

bradley
12-14-2002, 06:12 AM
1) If you are trying to cut then go with approx 12*bw for total daily caloric in take.

2) Get at leat 1g of protien per pound of bodyweight. (which the above diet does not provide)

3) Get your carbs from low GI sources like oats, sweet potatoes, lentils, veggies. The only exception to this would be post-workout when high GI carbs are preferred.

4) Don't skip out on healthy fats from sources like natural peanut butter, flax oil, salmon.

5) I would recommend dividing that daily caloric total over the course of 5-6 meals a day. Each meal should ideally contain a little of each macronutrient p/c/f.

Meal 1 breakfast
corn flakes with 2% milk and a bannana
**I would replace the corn flakes with oats and maybe throw in a protien shake or some eggs.

Meal 2 Lunch
Protein shake, Turkey on wheat and a cup of fruit juice
**Get rid of the juice and maybe supp with some flax oil.

Meal 3 dinner
Ckicken breast or Tuna, white rice or baked potatoe, Salad with vinger half cup of juice
**Get rid of the white rice or baking potato and go with brown rice or a sweet potato.

Meal 4 snack
Fruit, oranges, grapes etc

**If this is your last meal before bed then I would just mix in some cottage cheese with your fruit. Ideally you should at least add in one more meal, preferably two if your schedule will allow for it.

Hope these suggestions help somewhat. Congrats on getting your diet in order.

Los11
12-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks alot for the info, So I should definetly add a meal in, just wondering how do I get the 230 grams of protein i need in the diet I mean thats alot of protein to get from just foods do I need to get more protein shakes in my diet. And my other question is I know this is a 7 day kind of commitment, but what if one of the days you go out to eat kind of thing or you have a few drinks and eat something pretty bad like pizza etc. How bad is that for your diet and reaching your goals. Thanks again

Tiare
12-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Cheat days are good for you. 1 or 2 a week.

Be more concerned with total calories eaten than with the macro-split of the calories. 1g protien/lb bw can be hard to get to when cutting. Don't eat that much unless you are comfortable with it.

Start tracking what you are eating in total and macro breakdown then start fine tuning it. If you are going to target macro breakdowns, start at iso-caloric and fine tune it from there to what you are comfortable with.

Fruit juice sucks compared to whole fruit IMO.

Some other suggestions (looks like you are shooting for low fat diet overall) would be Pork loin (0/22/4 per 4oz serving), 96% lean hamburger (0/24/4.5 per 4 0z serving) and try "uncle sam" or "grape-nuts" or some other sugarless cereal instead of corn flakes because cornflakes are generally high sugar.

Try starting a journal at www.fitday.com so you can tell what you are actually eating.

bradley
12-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Los11
Thanks alot for the info, So I should definetly add a meal in, just wondering how do I get the 230 grams of protein i need in the diet I mean thats alot of protein to get from just foods do I need to get more protein shakes in my diet. And my other question is I know this is a 7 day kind of commitment, but what if one of the days you go out to eat kind of thing or you have a few drinks and eat something pretty bad like pizza etc. How bad is that for your diet and reaching your goals. Thanks again

Yes, definetely add in a meal immediately before bed.
To get the 230g of protien is not as difficult as is looks. Say you eat 5 meals that is roughly 46g per meal and 38 if you eat 6 meals per day. Protien shakes and meal replacements are a convenient and easy way to get in that extra protien. I say 1g per pound of bodyweight but like Tiare said that number is not set in stone. I usually allow myself one cheat meal (not day) per week. Usually have it on Saturday and that way I can have some drinks with friends or whatever and not have to worry about it. Also helps me stick to my diet. Tracking calories on fitday was also an excellent suggestion.

Los11
12-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the info I am starting to get it now. My only question is this just cause I am a moron and cant figure exactly what to eat, you know. For what i am looking to do what would be the meals I need to eat can you guys give me an example on lets say meal1, meal2, meal3, meal4, meal5.... If you guys were me what would you eat can you giv e me an example diet that I can follow I find it easier that way cause in my house no one is on a diet so I dont have any of these foods availiable so if you can give me a program to follow I can go out buy the stuff and stick to this diet cause I really want to get leaner and in better shape. Thanks guys

Carlos

bradley
12-14-2002, 05:20 PM
I usually eat eggs and oats for breakfast with some natural pb.
Here are some of the other foods that comprise the rest of my meals

dairy (cottage cheese, milk)
chicken
lean red meat
fish
oats
sweet potatoes
brown rice
ww bread
veggies
natural pb
lentils

Just put together different combinations. Try to get a little bit of each macronutrient in each meal. You can also check out the journal section and see the diets that others have posted.

Tiare
12-14-2002, 05:27 PM
OK, heres and example. roughly 2000 cal:
Meal 1: cup of milk (1%) and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (1%)
Meal 2: Green chili and chicken (about 150 calories at 11/17/5 c/p/f)
Meal 3: Chicken sandwich (8oz) on stone ground bread with 1/8 cup cheddar and 2/3 tbsp mayo
Pre workout: Medium banana and 2 cup milk (1%)
Post workout: 20g protein shake with cup of 1% milk
Meal 4: burrito w/.25lb lean beef, 1/8 cup cheese, whole wheat tortilla
Pre bed snack: apple and 1/2 cup cottage cheese (1%)

Los11
12-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Cool thanks for the help, As far as what I can drink with these meals what do you suggest cause I tend to drink alot of fruit juice which is not so good, what can be an alternative.

Shao-LiN
12-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Just eat clean and combine foods that you like to eat together. It's not rocket science or anything. I eat chicken with some wheat pasta or beef with rice. Oatmeal with milk and maybe some scrambled eggs in the morning. Natural peanut butter sandwich with a glass of milk. It's not too tricky to do, just adjust amounts as needed to meet your caloric requirements.

bradley
12-16-2002, 03:59 AM
Cool thanks for the help, As far as what I can drink with these meals what do you suggest cause I tend to drink alot of fruit juice which is not so good, what can be an alternative.

This is probably the obvious answer, but water would be the best. I will usually drink cyrstal light or decaf tea if I need a change.

Los11
12-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Thanks alot for all the replies... Cool I just picked up some crystal light I drink alot of water but sometimes you need a little flavor you know. So I think I got it now, when on fitday and put in what I would be eating it came out to like 2000 calorie that should be a good number to lose weight and fat..

Los11
12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
This is what I ate yesterday what do you guys think is this good.

Meal one
1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup oats.

Meal two
Bananna

Workout- Shoulder and Tri's

After Workout Protein Shake

Meal Three
Turkey on a Wheat Torrtilla wrap

Meal Four
Meadium Piece of steak, With Veggies, and a Half Sweet potatoe

Meal Five before bed snack
1/2 Cup Cottage cheese, some fruit

Roughly like 2000 calories, what do you guys think. Thanks

GIS
12-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Hey los11 click the link below (1-AD journal) in my signature and then click on the 'diet log' at the top of the next page. You'll see how I reach about 4,000 calories and 275g protein.

EDIT: Hehe... nevermind. At first I thought you were looking to bulk but considering you arn't, 4,000 calories probably isn't going to work. :) Your diet looks good for cutting.

bradley
12-16-2002, 02:39 PM
This is what I ate yesterday what do you guys think is this good.

Meal one
1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup oats.

Meal two
Bananna

Workout- Shoulder and Tri's

After Workout Protein Shake

Meal Three
Turkey on a Wheat Torrtilla wrap

Meal Four
Meadium Piece of steak, With Veggies, and a Half Sweet potatoe

Meal Five before bed snack
1/2 Cup Cottage cheese, some fruit

Roughly like 2000 calories, what do you guys think. Thanks

I recommend eating more along the lines of 2500 cals a day at least. At 230lbs you will probably lose to much muscle at that low of calorie intake. Shoot to lose about a pound a week. Diet looks much improved. I would probably add in another whole egg to meal 1 and have some protien with meal 2. Maybe throw in some simple carbs along with your protien shake post-workout. All in all looking much better, keep up the hard work.

Los11
12-16-2002, 07:17 PM
So you think I need a little more in my diet, when I start up on Hydroxycut and No2 is there anything I need to alter in my diet I am not to familiar with supplements. Thanks

Steve Williams
12-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Los11

I agree with Bradley about the post-workout meal. You need simple carbs to get your blood-sugar level back up.

I also suggest you have a pre-workout meal

Supplements will be good to increase your protein intake. But don't expect them to do miracles. There are plenty of scam supplement companys out there.

Los11
12-16-2002, 08:08 PM
So what would be a good pre and post workout meal when you say simple carbs what foods would that be. I am new to all this you know. I feel like i am eating alot already you know so this kind of diet will defenitly help me to trim down.

My goal is probably to drop down to 220lb I weighed 237lb last week this week I weighed myself and I was 232lb. I mean I want to lose the weight but how do I lose the love handles and all the other flab that I have I workout 6 days a week, every bdy group two times a week and I do Cardio two times a week also. At the same time I want to lose the weight I dont want to lose to much I want to keep my mass and turn it into muscle you know, I am just confuse on how to do it. The diet will help me lose the weight correct, but if I keep on this diet will I just keep losing weight , or once I have reached my goal weight of 220 do I then do a different version of the diet and what do I do to turn my mass into muscle. God this is so confusing sorry to be a pain just confused

bradley
12-17-2002, 04:03 AM
A good pre-workout meal would just be a regular meal consisting of a little of each macro-nutrient before working out, eaten about 1.5-2hrs before training. If that doesn't fit into you schedule well you could have a protien shake with some oats and flax or natty pb thrown in. As far as post-workout I would go with whey and dextrose (dextrose--simple carbs).

As far as supplements they will help ( some will anyway) but diet will be the key to reaching your goal weight. I feel confident that this diet will allow for a slower weight loss with more of the lost weight coming from fat loss. Try and shoot for about a pound a week and you shouuld be fine.

There is not much difference in a cut and bulk cycle other than the amount of cals eaten. I ususally eat much of the same things on a bulk and cut just in different quantities. You might also want to think of decreasing your workout volume. Six days a week is a little much in my opinion but if you are making gains then stick with it.

Los11
12-17-2002, 10:26 AM
Ok thanks for the info yeah the 6 days a week is alot but since I am not working right now it isnt that bad I mean all I do i go to the gym you know, I am wating to start police academy and like I said I want to get in shape for that. Once I get a fulltime job again I dont think I can do the 6 days a week you know. Thanks again

Los11
12-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Ok new revised diet what do you guys think.

Breakfast
2 yolks, 3 whites, 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup 1% milk

Mid Morning
1/2 cup 1% cottage, Protein Shake

Lunch
Turkey on whole wheat

Mid afternoon before workout
Tuna

After workout
Protein shake, bananna

Dinner
Chicken or meat, veggies, sweet potatoe or brown rice

Late snack
1/2 cup cottage, fruit

Alot of water all day, doing a cycle of Hydroxycut and No2

About 2200cals a little more
51gr Fat
161gr Carbs
225gr Protein

What do you guys think..... I could probably do more cals but I think its ok. Like I said before I want to lose the extra flab I have right now and get lean, I want to keep my mass just want to turn it into muscle you know.

bradley
12-19-2002, 03:52 AM
According to the macro breakdown that is still about 2000 calories but all in all looks pretty good to me. Most people seem to keep fat intake at around 25-30% of daily calories so you might want to add in a tablespoon of pb, fish oil, or flax oil. Looks pretty good though IMO.

Los11
12-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Yeah i got some natrual PB I never liked peanut butter but I am trying, like I said it feels like I am eating so much already you know. Do you think I will lose any muscle this way or am I ok.

bradley
12-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Yeah i got some natrual PB I never liked peanut butter but I am trying, like I said it feels like I am eating so much already you know. Do you think I will lose any muscle this way or am I ok.

When you are eating clean it does seem like you are eating a lot. Whenever cutting you can expect to lose a little LBM, but as long as you are losing about a pound a week then muscle loss should be kept to a minimum. Keep us posted on your progress, or you might even want to start a journal. A journal is a great motivational tool IMO.

Los11
12-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Yeah i was thinking of starting a journal if I can ever get my computer to stay on for more than 5 mins at a time before it freeze up dont know what the problem is but it sucks. Thanks for all your help guys I think I have a good plan now and hopefully I will start seeing some gains. Thanks again all Happy Holidays

Los11
01-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Need some more help with my diet I have been doing this diet for about a month now and I have lost some weight, but whenever I want to substitute something in I dont know if I can like maybe one day eating some pasta, or sometimes when I go out to eat I feel like having that cheeseburger or mexican food which i love once in a while but I find myself not doing it and sticking to my diet all the way and now its getting hard cause i miss some of the foods I used to eat you know, I am also wondering with the diet I have right now how many grams of carbs sould I have each day here is an example of my diet thanks for help guys.

Breakfast
1 yolks, 3 whites, 1 slice wheat toast

Mid Morning
1/2 cup 1% cottage,

Lunch
Turkey or Tuna on whole wheat or wheat tortilla w/ some low fat Mayo with a little cheese

Mid afternoon before workout
Banana and 1/2 cup milk

After workout
Protein shake, and some Nat PB

Dinner
Chicken or meat, veggies, on the side sweet potatoe or brown rice or if not some more tuna

Late snack
1/2 cup cottage 1%, fruit

This is usaully 2000 Cals with, 230 Gr Protein, 100-115 gr Carbs,
45-55 Gr Fat.

I was 237lbs when I started now about 225lbs. I have been working out 6-7 dyas a week and feel great seeing some gains in strength as well as my arms. I am not working right now so I have the time. But like I said am I allowed to cheat and how often and how much and can I have more carbs , Basically I think I need some change here in there or this diet is pretty tough to keep.

bradley
01-09-2003, 03:15 AM
If you want to change the diet around just make sure that you remain within your calorie goals for the day. Weight loss is about more calories burned than taken in (caloric deficit). I personally have one cheat meal a week. Just have that one thing that you have been craving and keep it within reason. Don't use a cheat meal as a reason to take down 5000 cals and your diet should not suffer, and will also help with food cravings.

Why the PB post workout?

Los11
01-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Well the Pb, I usually put some in blender with the whey it makes the protein shake taste a little better thats the only reason, should I not eat it after my workout?? I usually do a cheat meal a week its just seems like that meal is so many cals and carbs you know like I said I love mexican food. But i am also wondering in my current diet how many grams of carbs should I be taking in in a day.

bradley
01-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Well the Pb, I usually put some in blender with the whey it makes the protein shake taste a little better thats the only reason, should I not eat it after my workout?? I usually do a cheat meal a week its just seems like that meal is so many cals and carbs you know like I said I love mexican food. But i am also wondering in my current diet how many grams of carbs should I be taking in in a day.

I would ditch the pb post workout because it will slow the absorbtion of the protien, which would be fine any other time except postworkout.

The macronutrient breakdown really isn't that important. I recommend getting one pound of protien per lb of bw and about 25-30% of your cals from fat and the rest can be made up of calories derived from carbs. Breakdown might look something like this:
protien 225g--900 calories--45%
fat 56g--500 calories--25%
carbs 150g--600 calories--30%

This breakdown is assuming you stay at your current calorie level of 2000 cals a day, which I believe is a little low for someone at your bw.

Los11
01-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Ok so I can ad a little more carbs into my diet, My other question is what ia a good pre workout meal?? Thanks for the help Bradley

bradley
01-10-2003, 02:52 AM
Ok so I can ad a little more carbs into my diet, My other question is what ia a good pre workout meal?? Thanks for the help Bradley

I usually just eat a regular whole food meal about an 1.5-2 hours prior to training.

Los11
02-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Haven't been on for a while but wanted to post my results and thank everyone for there help... When I started my Cut on 12/12/02 I was 237lb, It is 7 weeks later and I am down to 218lb I have lost a good amount of weight i went from a 38 waist to a 35 waist feel much better, I am lifting hard 6 days a week with cardio 2 days a week, I have seen some gains in strength not so much in muscle mass though. It is hard to lose this weight and gain the muscle at the same time. My goal was 220lb but I want to get down to 210lb. My question is this when do I start bulking for mass do i just add more cals into my diet?? I mean right now I try to do 2000-2200 cals a day but sometimes I only get like 1500 cals in you know. I wanted to get your guy's opinion on my diet to see if I am doing the right thing.

Meal one
1 yolk, 3 whites, a little cheese, slice of wheat toast with low sugar jam

Meal 2
Half a Natty PB with a little jam Sandwhich on wheat

Meal 3
Turkey or Tuna on a wheat toritilla with low fat mayo, lett, tomatoe

Workout

Post Workout
Protein shake - 44 gr protein

Meal 4
Ckicken or steak with veggies, small potatoe or sweet potatoe or brown rice, with salad.

Meal 5
Tuna w/ lowfat mayo

Meal 6
Low Fat Cottage cheese

Supp. = Hydroxycut and NO2

Water all day , Crystal Light with meals. One cheat meal a week like pizza, chinese food, some alcohol etc. etc. Got to do at least one day you know.

Should I add another protein shake in , and when should I take it, or what should I add to this diet =, I am close to my goal weight of 210lb so what do I do then. Thanks for all your help guys couldnt of done with out this site and help.

bradley
02-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Might think about adding some simple carbs post workout and maybe some flax oil or some type of healthy fat with meal #6.

If you are wanting to try and gain some LBM then I would just start slowly adding cals back each week until you are getting the desired results. Just keep eating the same thing but just more of it. Congrats on your progress.

Los11
02-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Bradley thanks for the help if it werent for you I would still be a fat a s s. So what would be a good post workout meal. I usually just have a protein shake wait about 45 mins then have my dinner. Also should I add another protein shake to my diet or is one good enough. Thanks

bradley
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
So what would be a good post workout meal. I usually just have a protein shake wait about 45 mins then have my dinner. Also should I add another protein shake to my diet or is one good enough. Thanks

As far as post workout, first off I would add in about 50-75g of simple carbs. Dextrose would be ideal and is pretty cheap as well. I would then wait probably an 60-90 minutes and have a regular meal that contains a good balance of each macronutrient.

If you need the extra cals and protein then you could add in another shake, but your diet looks well structured so I would just increase the amount of food at a couple of the meals until you reach the amount you want for the day. An example would be say you wanted to add an extra 200 cals to your daily total then you could just have a couple of cups of milk with meal 2. Remember once you reach your goal weight just increase cals slowly that way you will be able to monitor how your body responds to the increases. Good luck with it.

Los11
02-03-2003, 06:04 PM
I was thinking of taking cell tech right after my workout thats 75 grams of carbs and 300 cals would that be good for the postworkout. Also if I take celltech after my workout do i also have a protein shake with it or wait , or should I have my protein shake at a different time?

I want to start the cell-tech once I get to my goal wait of 210lb then add more protein into my diet and some more cals to bulk up, do you think I should have two protein shakes a day or should I get the protein from other sources like more tuna, more chicken, more milk kind of thing?Once again thanks for the info, I am glad I found this site it has helped me thru this diet and losing weight and just feeling 100 times better about myself, I feel like I will be ready for police academy now before I was just way to out of shape.

bradley
02-04-2003, 02:57 AM
I was thinking of taking cell tech right after my workout thats 75 grams of carbs and 300 cals would that be good for the postworkout. Also if I take celltech after my workout do i also have a protein shake with it or wait , or should I have my protein shake at a different time?

I want to start the cell-tech once I get to my goal wait of 210lb then add more protein into my diet and some more cals to bulk up, do you think I should have two protein shakes a day or should I get the protein from other sources like more tuna, more chicken, more milk kind of thing?Once again thanks for the info, I am glad I found this site it has helped me thru this diet and losing weight and just feeling 100 times better about myself, I feel like I will be ready for police academy now before I was just way to out of shape.

The Cell-Tech would be fine to take post workout but it is quite expensive which is the main drawback IMO. Basically cell-tech is 75g of dextrose along with 1g of ALA and 10g of creatine. You could purchase each of these separately and save some cash, but either way would be fine. Just up to you really. If you are going to use cell-tech I would drink it first then drink the protein shake after. Might want to wait 15-30 minutes because that will be a lot of fluids in a short amount of time, but if you make your own you could just add it all together and drink up.

As far as the cals are concerned I wouldn't really worry about whether I was getting them from a protein shake or real food, just make sure you are getting them in. I tend to stick to real food when I can but this is mainly personal preference. The protein shakes would be fine if that is more convenient. If you are going to use whey I would mix it with milk (except postworkout) to help slow the digestion because whey digests very rapidly.

Los11
02-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey I had question for you Bradley, when I have my 2% cottage cheese which I usually have before bed around 9 or 10 pm for my last meal is it ok to add a little whey protein and mix it in to make the taste better or is the whey not good at that time?

Also ,as I was asking before that when I stop my cut and start a slight bulking style diet would these stats be ok I figured it out on Fitday.

2672 cals
73gr Fat 25%
206gr Carbs 31 %- the celltech really adds alot of carbs 75 grams
291gr protein 44%

Thanks for the help

bradley
02-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Yeah it would be fine to mix in some whey with the cottage cheese.

Those ratios you listed look fine to me but just make sure that you are going up slowly (aprox. 1lb per week), and when you start your bulk just slowly work your way up to that calorie total. Maybe just add about 200-300 cals onto your daily total each week and that way you will be able to monitor how your body is reacting. I would stick to the Cell-Tech postworkout only, and have some whey with it as well.

Los11
02-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Ok, so when I start my bulk I should start off by adding in 200 - 300 cals to what I am eating now which is 2000cals so for the first week I would be at 2300 cals then work my way up to the 2600-2700 cals. Now with the celltech you say stick to it postworkout only but what about the loading stage they recommend of twice a day for the first 5 days, should I not do that and just stick to it once a day post workout. Thanks bradley

bradley
02-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah you are right on about the calories, and yes just take the Cell-Tech postworkout. There is really no need to load creatine, and also I try and stay away from that much sugar unless it is postworkout.

Los11
02-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Ok cool thanks, when I up my cals what should my Carb intake be right now its at around 110-130 grams, I did a check on fitday to see what my carbs will be when I up my cals and the carbs came out to 190-205 grams of carbs is that ok. Aslo what should my fat grams be when I up my cals..

bradley
02-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Ok cool thanks, when I up my cals what should my Carb intake be right now its at around 110-130 grams, I did a check on fitday to see what my carbs will be when I up my cals and the carbs came out to 190-205 grams of carbs is that ok. Aslo what should my fat grams be when I up my cals..

The ratios should come out to somwhere in the neighborhood of 40/30/30 (p/c/f). These ratios do not have to be right on. Sounds like you have it all planned:) Keep us updated on how the bulk progresses.

Los11
02-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey bradley wanted to give you my sample bulk diet before I start it on Monday cause I finally got down to 210lb from my orginal starting weight of 240lb. Wanted to see if this is all good or do you have any better suggestions I feel like this is so much food you know. After I have lost this weight I just dont want to gain it back in fat thanks for the help dude.

Meal one
3 whites, 1 yolk, protein shake 1 scoop mixed w/cup milk

Meal two
Natty PB with some low sugar jam 1 slice of wheat bread

Meal three
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Meal four -Lunch
Turkey on Wheat, or tortilla wrap with a little low cal mayo

Workout

Post workout
Celltech 30 mins later Protein shake scoops mixed w/water

Meal five
Chicken or Extra Lean beef with veggies, Potatoe or rice and can Tuna

Meal Six
Protein Shake one scoop

Meal seven
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Cals 2550
Fat 77 Grams 27%
Carbs 195 Grams 30%
Protein 275 grams 43%

bradley
03-01-2003, 04:58 AM
I would drop the protein down to approx 210g and add in some more carbs from low GI sources. Shoot for about 35g of protein per meal (doesn't have to be exact). For breakfast the addition of some oats would be a good carb source and then just have a couple more egg whites and maybe another whole egg and leave out the protein shake. Also might want to add in some fish or flax oil to get some more EFA's. You could throw this in at the last meal of the day.

Might want to throw in some carbs with your morning serving of cottage cheese (although cottage cheese does have a few carbs). Maybe some fruit of some sort would be a good choice.

Just remember to gradually increase your cals each week, and monitor your weight with each calorie increase. Might end up having to eat more to gain but you will be able to tell after you are a few weeks into the diet. Good luck with it:)

Los11
03-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Ok cool , my other question which I am confused on what are some good low gi carbs I can add to this diet , What kind of friut can I eat cause bananas are pretty high in carbs right, and oranges are too I am just a little confused on carb sources?

bradley
03-01-2003, 01:44 PM
my other question which I am confused on what are some good low gi carbs I can add to this diet

oats, sweet potatoes, fibrous vegetables, beans, brown rice, ww bread, whole grain cereals

What kind of friut can I eat

apples, oranges, pears, strawberries, blueberries, etc.

These are just some suggestions and as there are many more food choices. These are just some of the foods that I incorporate into my diet.

Los11
03-25-2003, 04:06 PM
hey Bradley Just wanted to ask you another question, So far i have been doing good on my diet and seeing some good results from weight training, my question is this besides using the cell-tech post workout, can I just add creatine to my protein shake post workout the celltech is pretty $$$ plus alot of sugar 75 grams of carbs, so I was wondering if I can just add the creatine to my post/Shake and if I can what kind of creatine is the best and how much should I add also what else should I add to my Postworkout shake besides just the creatine?? Thanks for all your help..

bradley
03-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Sure, just add the creatine in with your postworkout shake. The brand of creatine is really not that important IMO. I would just use a company like Optimum or some other known company that has a good price on pure creatine monohydrate. One teaspoon should be plenty for postworkout which is approx. 5g.

The sugar postworkout is beneficial to help replenish glycogen stores so I would still make sure and get some form of high GI carb postworkout. You can purchase dextrose powder which is inexpensive and would work well postworkout.

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Ya, high GI foods post workout help alot for the next workout day.

Los11
03-25-2003, 06:10 PM
So I should only have the Creatine postworkout? Or should I have some with my morning shake also, Also what would be a good source of the high GI carb postworkout like a bagel or something like that or fruit I am just no sure on what would be a high GI carb thanks again for the help

cut_in_diamond
03-29-2003, 09:41 AM
um , when you guys talk about natural peanut butter, I take it you dont mean like Jif, Skippy, etc. Where do you get "natural Peanut butter", is it in grocery stores?

Ironman8
03-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Some markets sell natural peanut butter, but you can most likely find them in Health stores.

Shao-LiN
03-29-2003, 10:51 AM
All supermarkets in my area sell natural peanut butter. You can find them sitting right next to the jiffy and stuff.

As for creatine, best post workout...you don't need it anytime else. And dextrose is a source of high GI carbs for post workout. You can find it online.

Los11
03-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info shao-lin. As for the Natural Peanut Butter any market will have it I get the smucker Natural Peanut Butter, Natural Peanut butter has the oil sitting on the top of the jar usually I belive, I dont think Jiffy has it but I know Smuckers does and its pretty good.

Shao-LiN
03-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Yah, the natty pb has the oil separation sitting on top...you're supposed to mix it in though.

Los11
03-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Yeah I mix it in, I was just describing it. That would be pretty gross if you didnt mix it in.

bradley
03-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Also what would be a good source of the high GI carb postworkout like a bagel or something like that or fruit I am just no sure on what would be a high GI carb thanks again for the help

As Shao-lin said dextrose would be ideal postworkout and you can purchase it online or at a business that sells home brewing supplies (also called corn sugar). You could also use powdered gatorade or smarties candy.

As far as natural peanut butter you will know due to the oil separation and if in doubt just look at the ingredients. Should just be peanuts and salt.

Ironman8
03-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Smarties? LOL! I'll try that.

restless
03-29-2003, 04:03 PM
M&M's rule, yesterday I ate a 125 gr bag of them. Smarties on the other hand have a weird taste, in my opinion.

bradley
03-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by restless
M&M's rule, yesterday I ate a 125 gr bag of them. Smarties on the other hand have a weird taste, in my opinion.

I wouldn't consider them a good choice postworkout and probably best saved for cheat meals. I agree in that smarties are not the most pleasant things to eat.

Los11
04-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Well I got the Celltech, My question is this I am not doing that loading stage Bull, but I am taking it once a day after my workout my question is this celltech recommends 2 scoops should I only take one scoop or should I take the recommend dose someone told me 10g of creatine is to much the body cant absorb all that so he told me only take one scoop. Figure I would ask you , should I only take the one scoop or do it the why Celltech recommends . Thanks

bradley
04-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Well I got the Celltech, My question is this I am not doing that loading stage Bull, but I am taking it once a day after my workout my question is this celltech recommends 2 scoops should I only take one scoop or should I take the recommend dose someone told me 10g of creatine is to much the body cant absorb all that so he told me only take one scoop. Figure I would ask you , should I only take the one scoop or do it the why Celltech recommends . Thanks

I agree in that 10g of creatine is too much but to get the 75g of carbs postworkout you will have to take 2 scoops. If you have some other form of simple carbs then you could take one scoop of the Cell Tech (which would give you 37.5g of carbs) and get the rest of your carbs from another source.

I agree with you also about the loading phase.