PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti, simple or complex? Low or high GI?

Behemoth
12-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Regular, not whole wheat.

AJ_11
12-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Depends,

Durum Semolima = Low
enriched flour = crap, i mean high becasue it is processed

Behemoth
12-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Wait a minute, if you hava X carbs and they're "simple" does that automatically mean they're high glycemic? Or if they "complex" does that mean that they're low GI?
I thought the 2 were very closely related, but are they synonyms?

GonePostal
12-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Complex carbs are low GI and simple carbs are high in GI. There are other things that affect a total food's GI such as fiber, surface area and fat content. But if you were just eatting pure carbs they are pretty much directly linked.

AJ_11
12-15-2002, 05:51 PM
When looking at dieting don't just look at simple vs. complex. IMO, it just confuses people. I think that simple/complex carbs relates to the complexity of the molecule. ( I could be wrong and will be corrected, if this is not correct) GonePostal is correct by saying that what you eat as a whole affect the whole GI balance.

What you want to avoid in your diet is refined sugers such as table suger which is striped of all nutritional value. Enriched flours are also bad in this case because they have no vitamens and minerals and are striped as well. I usually by WW durum semolima pasta mainly because of the taste but also because of the nutritional value.

Behemoth
12-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Yes I know all that. Basically this is what I want to know, straight up yes or straight up no.
If the carbs are low glycemic, does that mean they are complex?
If the carbs are high glycemic, does that mean they are simple?

AJ_11
12-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Yes I know all that. Basically this is what I want to know, straight up yes or straight up no.
If the carbs are low glycemic, does that mean they are complex?
If the carbs are high glycemic, does that mean they are simple?

I don't think that you can get a straight answer for that. Look at a potatoe, firstly a high glycemic potatoe (white) is a complex Carb (starch) and it is high GI, a sweet potatoe is Low G.I, and also a starch. Suger is a high GI and it is a simple carb. So the answer is yes and no.

Also, Suger mixed with fat (ice cream) is low G.I.

Tiare
12-15-2002, 10:28 PM
No, low GI carbs are not always complex and high GI carbs are not always simple.

Could be stated that high GI carbs can be complex and low GI carbs can be simple.

Spaghetti is low GI in general. Right around a 40 on a glucose = 100 chart. Whole wheat spaghetti is a higher GI than regular spaghetti.

AJ_11
12-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Tiare
No, low GI carbs are not always complex and high GI carbs are not always simple.

Could be stated that high GI carbs can be complex and low GI carbs can be simple.

Spaghetti is low GI in general. Right around a 40 on a glucose = 100 chart. Whole wheat spaghetti is a higher GI than regular spaghetti.

I thought it wouldve been the opposite. I checked it out on mendosa.com and white was generally lower. I don't understand that. But I couldn't find two same kind, one being WW and the other right.

But they are both considered complex even though the value may be higher than an apple which is considered a simple suger.

Behemoth
12-16-2002, 06:20 AM
Why, then, is WW spag better than regular?

body
12-16-2002, 02:26 PM
spaghettti is about meduim. however its not to important as most people puts lots of sauce on it, so this changes the GI totally,
though go for wholemeal spaghetti.

AJ_11
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM

Becasue it isn't refined therefor having more nutrients

bradley
12-16-2002, 02:43 PM

The WW spaghetti does have a lot more fiber than regular spaghetti which would lower the GI.

hemants
12-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I call BS on the whole wheat being higher GI. If you are comparing apples to apples (ie. the same grain, same manufacturing process).

In any case, if it is pure duram semolina then it's pretty low GI and part of a healthy bulking or cutting diet as long as you watch your portions.

The GI differences in rice are far more pronounced (WW and basmati are ultimate, parboiled sux)

Behemoth
12-16-2002, 08:22 PM
So, regular spaghetti is not a bad carb choice, it's just that WW is a better?

AJ_11
12-16-2002, 09:13 PM
So, regular spaghetti is not a bad carb choice, it's just that WW is a better?

Look on the ingrediets. If it says enriched it's bad.

Ritzol
12-17-2002, 05:21 AM
doobie doobie doo.......

I would just like to say that I don't understand this whole GI bit, and I don't care to....... it confuses me beyond belief.

It's pretty much common sense though Behemoth, you must have a general idea of what's good and what's bad. And besides, if you want the carbs.....eat them, but just make sure you eat them at a time that is going to be beneficial, and not detrimental.

Behemoth
12-17-2002, 05:45 AM
*sighs* yes yes, thanks for all the motivational speeches. BUT, AJ, enriched is not what makes the carbs bad, enriching it is just putting vitamins into it. Bleached is what your wanna look out for. But bleached is often not noted on the ingredients.

True of False
Spaghetti is a complex carb?

Ritzol
12-17-2002, 05:59 AM
False? I really don't think it's complex..... but I'm prolly wrong. Ah well, and now I'm late for school. :(

body
12-17-2002, 05:20 PM
spaghetti (pasta) the majority of carbs are going to be complex carbs.
the main difference between white and wholemeal is that with white it will be lower in fibre, vitamins, fat, and minerals to varying degrees. however it will be lower in phyates as well.

The GI of spag is not to important unless eating ti by its self, which most of do not not do. the sauce may have a bigger impact on GI.

GI is not the best indicator to use anyway. Insulin repsonse is better.

AJ_11
12-17-2002, 06:07 PM
*sighs* yes yes, thanks for all the motivational speeches. BUT, AJ, enriched is not what makes the carbs bad, enriching it is just putting vitamins into it. Bleached is what your wanna look out for. But bleached is often not noted on the ingredients.

[/B]

Enriched is putting the vitamen back in after they have been striped away. Really get the wholemeal stuff. At $0.20 difference they are that much better.

True of False
Spaghetti is a complex carb?

True. It is considered a starch, therefore a complex carb, if you are talking about the pasta alone.

Behemoth
12-17-2002, 06:40 PM
No, enriching doesn't have to be putting BACK in. Even if nothing has been stripped away from it, it can still be enriched, like wheaties.

AJ_11
12-18-2002, 12:25 AM
No, enriching doesn't have to be putting BACK in. Even if nothing has been stripped away from it, it can still be enriched, like wheaties.

What you think that wheaties ain't processed. It's a cereal. I don't eat commercial cereal anyway, I stick to puffed wheat. Ingredients: Wheat.

Enriched being good or bad, just stick to WW. Better in the long run.