PDA

View Full Version : Protein when cutting

SaintStephen
07-11-2001, 10:22 AM
Basically everyone always says you can't gain muscle while also losing fat.. or at least most people I have talked to. So assuming this is true...why should you keep a high level of protein intake while cutting? Is it necessary? What function does it serve? Note: I'm not talking about cutting protein completely from your diet but reducing it, in order to reduce calories as a whole.

Gyno Rhino
07-11-2001, 11:37 AM
Retaining muscle mass. Your body is always in a state of equilibrium. At any time, you're not just sitting there doing nothing. Your body is breaking down muscle, breaking down fat, adding muscle, or adding fat. You just want to keep your protein high so that HOPEFULLY your body will continue to keep that muscle mass.

hemants
07-11-2001, 12:04 PM
Some might argue that you need MORE protein during cutting so that you minimize muscle catabolism.

However, excess calories are still excess calories even if they are protein so if you're the type who eats 300g/day or more, I would reduce it when cutting.

If you're at around 1g/lb of body weight, I wouldn't go any lower. (But that's not an opinion based on experience, just what I've collected from various sources.)

:cool:

SaintStephen
07-11-2001, 12:36 PM
The only problem I see here with maintaining Protein levels is that if I maintain it at 1g/ pound ... I won't be able to maintain proportionate levels of carbs and fat and still stay below the calorie level I need to lose weight.

Suggestions?

IceRgrrl
07-11-2001, 02:53 PM
Figure out how many cals you need, subtract the cals from the 1g per lb. BW of protein, and distribute the balance between carbs and fat.

I like to keep the protein high, get my carbs from non-starchy veggies and the occasional piece of fruit, and add in fat to keep me satisfied on lower cals. The extra protein will also help to keep you from being hungry all the time...

SaintStephen
07-12-2001, 05:58 AM
Thanks IceRgrrl .. that's basically what I have been doing and has been working pretty well. I know I have lost some muscle.. but I have lost a good 20 pounds or more , so I don't think it was possible to do that without losing at least a little bit.