PDA

View Full Version : Foods that are most dense in calories

Matx
07-12-2001, 09:24 AM
what are the best foods for someone to eat that is trying to gain a lot of weight. Im talking about foods that have a lot of calories for there size so u can eat a lot of it. A potato has like 250 calories and its pretty filling so thats a good example of a food that isnt dense in calories.

the doc
07-12-2001, 10:12 AM
eat a lot of unsat fats. Cook w/ a lot of oil. Starches bloat you so it is hard to eat a lot of them @4 cals/gram.
Eat nuts all day long. I'd say they are the most nutrient dense food i've encountered. 1/4 cup of walnuts has ~ 200 cals! The fibre works wonders for the bowels as well.

Wizard
07-12-2001, 10:17 AM
Another great source of unsat fats,fibre and potassium are avocados.

gino
07-12-2001, 11:54 AM
In general, fatty foods have more calories than others because there is 9 calories per gm of fat vs 4 calories per gm of protein/carbs. Some relatively calorie dense foods that come to mind are red meat, nuts, and ice cream. A pint of ben & jerrys has over 1000 calories! And if I was your size(no offense) I'd be eating some...

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 12:04 PM
one word: 'BigMac'.

IceRgrrl
07-12-2001, 12:11 PM
Peanut butter is another one...lots of protein and the good kind of fat (unsat)...esp if you can get natural PB (ground peanuts w/o anything else added).

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 12:17 PM
Another one: 'Lard'

Matx
07-12-2001, 12:28 PM
no offense taken yea i used to eat one meal a day and i still went from 5'4 to 6ft in less 2 years.. wonder how tall i'd be if i ate a lot more.

ElPietro
07-12-2001, 12:29 PM
CD what about congealed bacon fat! Straight outta da fridge, or you could put a popsicle stick in it and throw it in the freezer. Instant fatsicles!

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 12:35 PM
One phrase: 'congealed bacon fat'.

flake
07-12-2001, 12:35 PM
ElPietro, I think they do those at burger king

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 12:39 PM
Yes, get a job at Burger King so you can lick the grills clean.

You'll be huge in no time...

..and you can rack up a few heart attacks in the process - not to worry though, they're like measels - good to get out the way...

ElPietro
07-12-2001, 12:42 PM
I'm sure I could market fatsicles............to americans... ;)

Tryska
07-12-2001, 12:47 PM
Well yes, but only Americans on Adkins.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
Well yes, but only Americans on Adkins.

....And those on 'Atkins' too...;)

Tryska
07-12-2001, 12:50 PM
yes yes..the "t" key is close to the "d" key.

i never said i could type...or spell for that matter.

ElPietro
07-12-2001, 12:50 PM
This could be the best product to hit the market since the tomacco from the simpsons! :D

Tryska
07-12-2001, 12:53 PM
*lol*

tomacco.....that's terrible. On another note...i saw on cnn i think this bit about rectangular watermelons being grown in japan. apparently it makes it easy for them to ship and stack.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2001, 01:05 PM
yes, you can also purchase white bananas and rainbow coloured tomatos.

Yaz
07-12-2001, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by gino
In general, fatty foods have more calories than others because there is 9 calories per gm of fat vs 4 calories per gm of protein/carbs. Some relatively calorie dense foods that come to mind are red meat, nuts, and ice cream. A pint of ben & jerrys has over 1000 calories! And if I was your size(no offense) I'd be eating some...

And he said none taken. That's just wrong, you bully. :D

Cackerot69
07-12-2001, 04:53 PM
Bagels!!

machaf
07-16-2001, 07:19 PM
Eat yer own poo....its high in protein.

c_8nOM
07-16-2001, 09:23 PM
to absorb all the nutrients from food, you need to eat ur poo since food's nutrients cannot get fully absorbed in one trip..

Cackerot69
07-16-2001, 09:32 PM
There are nutrients in poo....but you go ahead and keep eating your poo...

Matx
07-16-2001, 11:05 PM
okay fine i'll eat my poo

the doc
07-17-2001, 06:45 AM
:eek:eat your poo if you want but...

man just eat walnuts all day. THere is no higher, more dense source of energy on this earth ( that is a good whole food). 1/4 cup has over 200 cals and it contains protein, healthy fat, and fibre!

c_8nOM
07-17-2001, 10:38 AM
Haha..

eat your poo if you want but...

man just eat walnuts all day. THere is no higher, more dense source of energy on this earth ( that is a good whole food). 1/4 cup has over 200 cals and it contains protein, healthy fat, and fibre!

U said exactly same thing on the other post~!

Matx
07-17-2001, 01:10 PM
small problem im allergic to peanuts since i was 2 and the doctor was like keep him away from all nuts... funny i've eaten peanuts and walnuts by accident a few times in my life and never had a reaction gonna get a blood test soon to see im still allergic..never really ate any nuts ;( and there out of the question at this point

Sayiajin Prince
07-17-2001, 09:57 PM
so are u guys saying that fried foods, junk food and all that other stuff i thought made me unhealthy could actually make me stronger :confused:

i avoid junk food like the plegue, i cheat only once a month, and im really cut, should i break into good ol' lard to put on some weight?

YatesNightBlade
07-18-2001, 02:27 AM
NO !!!!!!! Thats not productive at all and will only spoil the look of your body.

Eat lots of food, but good food.

Rice, Pasta, Potatos, some breads, oats, fruit, Veg are all good carbs

Eggs, Lean Beef, Milk, Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, Protein Shakes are all good sources of protein.

Flax seed oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Nuts are all good sources of Essential fat.

Eat these foods and still have your treats and you'll go a long way.

Cackerot69
07-18-2001, 03:30 AM
"Junk" food is the same as clean food, it's composed of protein, carbs, and fat. The body does not treat a gram of protein, carbs, or fat from a big mac differently than that of a tuna sandwich.

Junk food comes in for the little skinny mofo's that can't gain weight because it is more calorie dense, and when you are 140lbs and need 5000 calories to put on weight it's almost impossible to consistently eat 5000 cals from chicken breast and oatmeal - if you have no problem doing this than it is better, but being consistent is most important.

I've always laid out a clean diet that would give me a decent weight gain, and ate cheat foods on top of it...much easier to stick to, and will help your willpower during dieting knowing that in just a few months you will be able to enjoy your favorite foods again.

YatesNightBlade
07-18-2001, 03:45 AM
Bollox. Think of all the sh!t in them foods ..... salt additives etc etc. If a calorie was just a calorie ..... I'd live off McDonalds and Pizza.

There is such a thing as Quality Protein and Quality carbs. Brown Rice for example is a hell of a better choice of fuel then bread.

and how can you possible compare the quality of a Big Mac to Tuna ???? Are you losing the plot my little friends ??? lol ;)

Cackerot69
07-18-2001, 03:52 AM
You could live off pizza and mcdonalds if you wanted to, just like 90% of the american population. They're alive.

I agree that it is better to eat clean foods, you avoid nutrient deficeincies, excess sodium, saturated fat, etc.

The question is, is it practical for the 120lb guy who has trouble eating 2000 cals and needs 4000 to gain?

I agree that if you have no trouble eating enough calories from only clean food that it is the better route, but if you can't get the calories/nutrients you need without eating a little junk food...then throw some calorie dense foods in there to help, just don't base your diet around it...clean foods should always make up the bulk of your diet.

YatesNightBlade
07-18-2001, 03:57 AM
yeah it's pratical. He'll stay slim and build muscles. He'll have more of a pleasing body. Im sure he doen't want to get all watery and fat, I've been there. at one time I was weight mad ..... I'd eat anything and everything. It spoilt the look of my body.

Cackerot69
07-18-2001, 03:59 AM
If you weren't twice my size I'd kick your ass right about now.

YatesNightBlade
07-18-2001, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
If you weren't twice my size I'd lick your ass right about now.

tuttut

Cackerot69
07-18-2001, 04:05 AM
Bollox.

Chris Rodgers
07-18-2001, 07:02 AM
Yo Cackalicious, I got your back against this overgrown jumbo!

*Latty runs and hides*

Prince weighs 130ish. I don't think he should be worried about eating clean all the time. I am bulking and seem to be a regular in Mcdonalds and Burger King as of late.

ElPietro
07-18-2001, 07:40 AM
*sigh* I gotta agree with cack here. Food is food. Basically what constitutes junkfood is what's in it. But your body treats each part as the real deal, like cack said it doesn't look at a big mac different than a chick breast. You will get all the gains from the protein and carbs and fat, you will also get the drawback of the added fat from mayo, or the sugar from your supersized drink. But if you have difficulty gaining weight you can afford to do that because your body will most likely burn off most of the crap anyway, allowing more fuel to develop your body.

btw i'm as big as yates. :P

YatesNightBlade
07-18-2001, 08:15 AM
Oh no your not ....... :p

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-18-2001, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
If you weren't twice my size I'd kick your ass right about now.

Justin, foo, the dude is like 5 times bigger than you!

Spiderman
07-18-2001, 11:29 AM
*slaps Chicken with trout for gettin to that nice line before he did*

Cackerot69
07-18-2001, 11:35 AM
Haha....Actually he's 1.5 times the size of me. :)

hemants
07-18-2001, 11:57 AM
The easiest way to add calories is to add fat.

McDonald's will just send you into cardiac arrest.

Better to add a teaspon of olive oil here and there.

I actually put Olive oil into my whey shakes now and you can't really taste it and it helps the stuff to mix better.

The point about practicality is a good one but within reason. Everyone who is on this site has made a commitment to achieve a goal. It's very simple, decide what you want, determine what price you have to pay, and then go pay the price!

At the same time, while I'd love to spend 10 minutes in the late morning making some instant oatmeal for my second breakfast while I'm at work, it is easier to buy a plain toasted bagel and add my own natty peanut butter to it.

I just make sure and limit my "bad carbs" for my other meals.

Matx
07-18-2001, 12:47 PM
i'd like to weigh 170-180 and be ripped as hell cuz im 6ft .... im not talking about in a month im talking in over a year i guess..

the doc
07-18-2001, 04:35 PM
this is the difference between eating clean and junk food

partially hydrogenated oils (so called trans fats-present in virtually all processed foods) are real cardiac killers and are not present in whole foods

all that added sugar (sucrose) will help plump you out nicely as well since your fat burning enzymes will plugged up with that unnatural trans fat

YatesNightBlade
07-19-2001, 01:51 AM
Doc,

do you consider Fats with sugar (Icecream for example) to be the devil of all foods ? With the realise of insulin cause by the raie in blood sugar etc etc ....

the doc
07-19-2001, 07:46 AM
it would seem for fat loss and general health that foods high in saturated fat and sugar should be avoided, but not eliminated. I enjoy ice cream quite a bit, but i take only small quantities whilst i'm trying to lose fat. If you look at the average americans diet (who is not necessarily active like us) they are consumimg macro nutrient levels similar to ice cream in every meal! (ie high sat fat (burgers) and high sugars (candy, french fries (high starch as well) , hell even the buns are sweetened somewhat and then to top it off they take a supersize coke! :eek:), and high in partailly hydrogenated oils (they are in everything processed-the buns for those burgers, the fries are fried in partially hydrogenated oils) I think no one can deny the us has the fattest people in the world!!!

Then again for bulking this may not necessarily apply.
I would just get the ice cream that contains "milk, cream, and sugar" not the artificially made bull$hit they sell now. Sort of like getting natty pb instead of that processed crap they sell as "peanut butter".

Fow general health i would avoid anything that contains the words "partially hydrogenated...". That is the devil of food.

I cant believe people freak out about things like aspartame and dont go on riots from all the partially hydrogenated oils they are fed. It is literally killing them!
Why dont they riot, cause the foods taste good, and they want to go mmmm after every bite. It is seriously similar a drug addiction (like cigarettes). Even though the activity (eating that stuff) is known to be a poor choice, the user continues to consume regardless of the consequenses

hemants
07-19-2001, 08:56 AM
roger that Doc

People don't seem to realize that the percentage protein by calories in a Big Mac is about the same as the bun (~15%) tuttut

Yaz
07-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Those people are alive alright. The ones living off McD's and Pizza. Wonder how many of them will have a doctor digging through their arteries later in life.

YatesNightBlade
07-20-2001, 02:23 AM
Yaz, their organs will probebly end up in a McDonalds burger .... how ironic is that. lol

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-25-2001, 10:28 AM
I'm gonna back up yates' point here.

eating 'clean' foods so to speak, will charge you better for the gym. iving off pizzas and chips all day is like putting plain ole' gasoline into a space shuttle and expecting it to take off. You need rocket fuel [clean food] fo this.

Eating better will make your gym sessions more productive [IMO].

The only time i would recommend eating 'crap' food is for a cheat meal once or twice a week purely to keep your sanity.

YatesNightBlade
07-28-2001, 02:13 AM
The Brian ov Wannabebig has spoken.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-28-2001, 02:42 AM
tuttut

If that is a big bro reference then you are in for quite a beating...

YatesNightBlade
07-28-2001, 05:53 AM
:evillaugh

SNAKE`80
07-28-2001, 10:52 AM
Couple bowls of cereal with whole milk has a lot of calories.

YatesNightBlade
07-29-2001, 02:06 AM
It sure does.

chris mason
07-29-2001, 06:49 PM
Man, I remember when the Big Macs were on sale 2 for $2 while I was in my bulking phase. My training partner John Dukes and I would go and get 2 Big Macs, a large fry, and a Coke to wash it all down. Mmmmm, them was the good days. Funny thing, I made awesome gains in the gym. I was 18-19 at the time and needed huge amounts of calories to put on weight. I won't say that was the most healthy thing, but it sure worked.

Van Stretch
07-30-2001, 01:26 AM
I've put on 25 lbs just reading these posts.....eccchh