PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Helping my Dad!

laxplayer39
12-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Hey guys - I posted on this a long time ago, but since then things have changed.

My dad has been overweight for a really long time. According to my tanita bf scale he is 5"6, 220lbs, with a 41%BF(I dont know HOW accurate this is, but i guess its a starting point) . Not only is he overweight (maybe obese?), but his health is seriously in danger - in danger of diabetes.

He is a staunch vegetarian (i am NOT!) and he wont really eat eggs. He does, however, drink milk and eat dairy products.

What I have been trying to do with him, is every morning make a LOT of protein Shake. 4 Cups of milk, 4 scoops of protein powder, 2 banannas, and like 2 tbspns of PB and blend it. Basically anytime he gets hungry, I tell him to drink a cup of that (this forumla yields a LOT of drink!) and/or eat with high fiber cereal.
I also am giving him a multi-vitamin. And Im thinking that we should eat a of salads and such.

What else should i DO!? I know he needs to eat meals, but what can I cook for us that is healthy. I am only home for three weeks (winter break) and he is in danger of getting diabetes, and the doctor told him in no uncertain terms that he is in danger of many medical complications. I know for damn sure that if something happened to my dad, that i would ****in go crazy.

So basically I really want to know - whats a good DIET and TRAINING (his company pays for him to be a part of a kickass gym) program he can do? I will be with him for only three weeks, but he has to do this like EVERYDAY!

BTW we are of south asian (indian) background, and in our culture food is a big deal. My mom is in india so its just me and my pops and my sis, so we will be doing all the meals - so i wanna make em AS HEALTHY as i can.

THANKS GUYS!
Sunil

PS: I love this board.

Stray
12-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Wow, he's got to be the biggest vegetarian I've ever heard of.

Maybe try having him do something along the lines of the Body For Life program as a start and see how it goes... except where the book reccomends a protein portion use a shake instead.

bradley
12-20-2002, 05:14 PM
I would definetely get him started walking or performing some type of activity that keeps him moving. I don't know the activity level of your father but you might consider starting him on a basic weight program using some machine weights and branching out from there. I am not familiar with Indian style food but maybe some sauted (sp) vegetables with a little olive oil and brown rice along with some soy for protien. I think the best thing you can do is perform whatever activities you decide on with your father and give him support while you are home. Then hopefully he will get into the routine himself. Good luck.

laxplayer39
12-20-2002, 05:40 PM
good idea - i want him to at least do some lifting 3 X week and some sort of low intensity walking 5 X week as well as start eating better.

is it bad for him to drink protein shakes all day? thats the best protein source for him i can think of. hes also getting a lot of fiber (high fiber cereal) and two a days GNC vitamins.
Im doing an ECA but theres NO WAY ill have him take any ECAs.

Stray
12-20-2002, 05:53 PM
4 cups of milk 2 bananas and 2 tbs of PB seems like alot of sugar.

Is that all in one shake?

Behemoth
12-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Yeah thats well over 100 grams per shake! Definetly not a good idea for someone on the verge of diabetes, especially several times a day. Perhaps you should concentrate on getting the majority of the cals from complex carbs and unsatty fats, since protein is so hard for him to get plainly.

laxplayer39
12-20-2002, 09:42 PM
as for that protein shake its something like:

3-4 cups milk
4 scoops protein powder (trace carbs i believe, 40g protein)
2 tbspns PB
1-2 banannas

but what usually happens is that me and my dad split this, and only drink like 1/2 a cup at a time. it fills us up pretty good.

is this a bad thing to do?

bradley
12-21-2002, 06:02 AM
Splitting the shake up is a good idea in my opinion. Maybe he can drink a little with each meal to get his protien intake up, and if you are worried about too much sugar just leave out the bananas. Sounds like you are on the right track and getting him on an exercise program of some sort will help tremendously. Good luck and keep up posted on his progress.

laxplayer39
12-21-2002, 10:25 AM
yah we only drink a little at a time to help fill us up. we then eat salad or something else.

hes now going to start going to the gym. i was thinking he can do a 5 day a week routine at the gym. 3Xweek LOW intensity walking, 30 min. LOw intensity lifting. And following lifting antoehr 30 min LOW intensity walking.

then the other 2Xweek he can go and just perform low intensity stair stepping machine.

he went to the gym yesterday and ate pretty well so i really hope its a start!!
Sunil

Behemoth
12-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Try having him put the protein on his cereal too, if your looking for more protein in his diet. Most of all just make sure to encourage him, it would be horrible to put in all this work then after you leaves he drops it. Make sure he WANTS to do it for himself before you go.

bradley
12-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by laxplayer39
hes now going to start going to the gym. i was thinking he can do a 5 day a week routine at the gym. 3Xweek LOW intensity walking, 30 min. LOw intensity lifting. And following lifting antoehr 30 min LOW intensity walking.

then the other 2Xweek he can go and just perform low intensity stair stepping machine.

Just make sure that he takes it a little at a time. Too much at once may burn him out or make him lose interest, but if he wants to stick with that then that is great. I hope that it works out.

laxplayer39
12-21-2002, 05:47 PM
yah - i really also hope he sticks with it. but i mean, i can only do so much when im here, but when i leave CA and go back to NY, im worried that he **might** go back to his old ways. but i think he is starting to realize that he feels **GOOD** after workouts and feels even better when he eats right, and a little progress in the mirror and on the scale can go a long way in keeping someone on track. i just hope that when he hits a plateau that he will keep on going.

any other tips that might help?

bradley
12-22-2002, 05:26 AM
Whenever I was am away from home I always ask my dad how his workouts are going and he asks about mine as well. I always strive to push myself so I can report that I am improving and I believe he thinks the same way. Kind of like a long distance training partner if that makes any sense. Anyway just keep communicating with your dad and the fact that it means a lot to you might help him stay with it.

noraa
12-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Eat less energy dense foods, Ie cut back on rice/fats etc

eat a TON of fruits/veges

get A LOT of exercise. PReferably working up in intensity until you have 6-7days per week with 45-60minutes of relatively INTENSE exercise, both resistance and aerobic,
plus if he is on the verge of diabtetes, the doc should be looking at drug options for him as well, becuase at this stage, you can only delay the inevitable, you cannot reverse pancreatic changes

bradley
12-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by noraa
PReferably working up in intensity until you have 6-7days per week with 45-60minutes of relatively INTENSE exercise, both resistance and aerobic,

That would be too much IMO.

laxplayer39
12-23-2002, 01:53 PM
hmm im just trying to have him to to the gym at least 3 Xweek and do low intensity lifting and cardio. maybe after a few weeks he can bump it up to 3Xlifting and 2-3Xweek light cardio

mainly his diet needs to get better which it *slowly* is.

noraa
12-25-2002, 06:03 PM
That would be too much IMO.

Research shows that low-moderate intensity is not adequate to reduce the effects of insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance. Of course they wouldnt start with that level of activity from day 1. but actually work up to that level.

bradley
12-26-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by noraa
PReferably working up in intensity until you have 6-7days per week with 45-60minutes of relatively INTENSE exercise, both resistance and aerobic,

A total of 6 days a week of exercise would be fine IMO, but resistance training and aerobic training 6-7 days a week is excessive.