PDA

View Full Version : protein and your liver

Berserker
12-21-2002, 12:09 AM
I just read an article about high protein intake and liver damage. I've heard this before from anti protein powder groups. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.
Also this is a supps questions, is there anything that helps the liver? I've seen things advertised but do they work?

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 01:51 AM
Well I hope they're mistaken and really referring to the kidneys since it is the filter of the body and usually the first organ to lay claims of protein damage. Theres no sufficient studies out there that can pin point protein to various kidney ailments.

Shao-LiN
12-21-2002, 03:03 AM
Drink a lot of water.

There are also lots of liver anti-oxidants. Think ALA and Milk Thistle are 2 examples maybe.

Paul Stagg
12-21-2002, 08:34 AM
Post a link to the story.

Berserker
12-21-2002, 12:45 PM
I was just doing searches last night on google for protein. I probably should have said copied the link. I guess I what I was really curious about is what can you do to help your liver. Is there anything good out there.
If I can find the article I'll post it.

Berserker
12-21-2002, 12:54 PM
http://www.hepfi.org/pages/liv_caring.html

This is the only 1 found again. Its discussing people with Hepitatis, not the average person. There was another, it might have been talking abojut the Atkins diet, that said it could be a little worse.
After reading this article I am not reducing my protein. Jsut curious if anybody else has read anything. Like I said I saw a bodybulding site agaist sups that said protein poweders may be hard on your liver? Maybe it was kidneys.

Berserker
12-21-2002, 12:59 PM
The other one I read was for kidneys
"But I have to see a strength-training athlete who's already not eating enough protein." says nutritionist Susan M,Kleiner, Ph.D. R.D. co-author of Power Eating. "They're already focusing on it, having an extra chicken breast here, a glass of skim milk there. That's fine". Kliener says, " There's no advantage to taking protein as a supplement. It's not absorbed better.It's not utilized better." In fact, extra protein may put undue stress on your kidneys over time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does only say may. So then what do people think about its effect on your kidneys?

For the record I have no idea who this person is. Just was curious.

bradley
12-21-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Berserker

"But I have to see a strength-training athlete who's already not eating enough protein." says nutritionist Susan M,Kleiner, Ph.D. R.D. co-author of Power Eating. "They're already focusing on it, having an extra chicken breast here, a glass of skim milk there. That's fine". Kliener says, " There's no advantage to taking protein as a supplement. It's not absorbed better.It's not utilized better." In fact, extra protein may put undue stress on your kidneys over time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does only say may. So then what do people think about its effect on your kidneys?

For the record I have no idea who this person is. Just was curious.

I disagree with the above statement. Whey protien is a protien supplement that is utilized more effeciently than say the protien from a steak. Whey will absorb faster than protien from steak which will decrease the time it takes to be utilized by the body. This is most beneficial post-workout of course, but still a beneficial supp IMO.

From what I have read high protien intake will not have a detrimental effect on your kidneys unless you already have existing kidney problems.

GonePostal
12-21-2002, 03:02 PM
"extra protein may put undue stress on your kidneys over time"
I agree with this statement but not the context. He makes it sound like extra protien is likly to hurt you and your kidneys. Sure extra protien which your kidney's have to filter out will put more or "undue" (Cuz you don't really need more muscle to life =P Well for most of us anyways hehe) stress on your kidney's. So what? Our kidney's are pretty strong and adapt well. They can handle a little more protien (or even a lot) with out any problems. Protien is in many respects like alcohol. Liver gets stressed by it but "experts" still recommend people to drink a glass of red wine a night. Or how about when people get Sh*tfaced? That puts tons of stress on your liver, and people do it all the time and it doesn't hurt you (unless you are a true alcoholic)

Berserker
12-21-2002, 03:46 PM
True the liver and kidneys adaptable, though tell that to someone with out one. With weightlifting and putting on more mass then your body would normal and then drink X/gram to sustain and build more is there a problem? I can ride my bike at 140 it was built to do that, but would it last longer if I rode at 95? Probably. Our bodys?

hemants
12-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Protein is to kidneys as exercise is to a heart.

If the kidneys are healthy, the extra load will stress them but it's nothing they can't handle.

If the kidneys are already damaged then the extra load will cause problems.

(Just as a healthy heart can run up stairs without any difficulty)

This was what my bro in law told me (he's a Urologist).

Also, studies have shown that whey protein doesn't load the kidneys the way other forms do.

Finally, this is not carte blanche to eat 400g of protein a day. There's always a limit to everything and while long term studies on the effect of excess protein on kidney failure are inconclusive (as far as I know) one should excersise common sense.

Proteios
12-23-2002, 02:49 PM
Well it's inconclusive to compare protein intakes of medical patients compared to normal healthy individuals not to mention active ones. A 200lb bodybuilder can most definetly use more protein then your average sedentary individual.

Berserker
12-23-2002, 03:19 PM
I agree its not a good comparison, someone sick and someone healty. I didn't ask if a bodybulder needeed more protein. I asked it is good for the liver and kidneys.

kook
12-24-2002, 10:02 PM
about anything to help your liver... there are pills i've tried they were just called liver pills.. nails were alot stronger and skin was much better when i took them..and ur liver is what directily effects skin, the pills actually helped the organ that makes bile.. i think its gallbladder but the bile is used in the liver to digest and do its business.....

and you can clean out your liver twice a year.. if you've never done it there is most likely noncalcified stones in there and also in your gall bladder that is stopping what your liver and gallbladder is sposed to be doing.. its no joke i do it every 6 months now but the first time.. you get to see all those green noncalcified stones its a trip but look it up.. or ask me how to do the cleanse