PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gaining

Beholder
12-21-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi, new guy to the forum here. But I got a question regarding weight gain using supplements. First off a little about my build
Im around 6'3", 165lb And I play basketball. In a nutshell I want to gain weight. I visit the gym 5 times a week now and enjoy it thorougly.

Any weight gain supplements out there that will help me out here? Only thing is I dont want it to be 'fat' or whatever it would be considered. If it isnt 'toned' muscle, that will be fine, because I will work on that at a later date. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)
Thanks

:D

Shao-LiN
12-21-2002, 03:02 AM
You'll probably gain some fat during a bulking period. How much you gain would be a factor of your genetics, diet, and present body fat percentage.

Whey protein would be good just starting out. You really don't need much if you're new to weightlifting. Down the line, you can start using creatine if you want.

Beholder
12-21-2002, 03:12 AM
Ive actually started to use it a tad to see how it works with me
but every time I take it I feel really bloated?? Like I have to burp but I cant and sorta feel weird...is that normal or is it just ****ty stuff that I bought?

Oh yeah -- What internet games U like to play?
Im into Quake3 TDM/Ra3 and Warcraft3 :)

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 12:47 PM
http://op1.prosourceonline.com/bmr.asp

Here you go bro. Go their and figure up your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) It will be the very last number, 4 digits. Thats how many calories you need to eat in 1 day to maintain your current bodyweight.

Ok, now 1 pound is equal to 3500 calories. So to gain 1lb a week add 500 calories to that original BMR, eat that number of cals per day and you've gained 1lb. 500 x 7 = 3500. If you're wanting to use this to lose weight, let me know I wrote an article on how to do that.

**PS. Sorry so late, Im new here ;)

AstronautJones
12-21-2002, 01:17 PM
I'd recommend Serious Mass to anyone looking to gain weight. It worked wonders for me

No but seriously, if you're a skinny bastard like I was (no offense) a weight gainer of some type is definitely the way to go, even if it isn't Serious Mass.

Also, like someone else said, you may accumulate SOME adipose tissue, but that's just what happens when you bulk. If you're seriously looking to gain mass, that should be one of your last worries. Just my ramblings though. :D

bradley
12-21-2002, 02:29 PM
What does your diet look like? A solid diet will be more beneficial than any supplement. I would use a weight gainer post-workout. I don't think weight gainers are the optimal thing to use any other time.

GonePostal
12-21-2002, 02:55 PM
BTW 3500 cals is the measure for 1lb of fat not muscle =)
Weight gainer is awesome if you are like me and can't eat that much and have a hard time gaining weight. But as bradley has said that it is best used post workout due to its extremely high content of sugar.

bradley
12-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by GonePostal
BTW 3500 cals is the measure for 1lb of fat not muscle =)
Weight gainer is awesome if you are like me and can't eat that much and have a hard time gaining weight. But as bradley has said that it is best used post workout due to its extremely high content of sugar.

I agree Gonepostal if the only way you can cram in your daily caloric total then go with the weight gainer and some milk.

Shao-LiN
12-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Beholder
Ive actually started to use it a tad to see how it works with me
but every time I take it I feel really bloated?? Like I have to burp but I cant and sorta feel weird...is that normal or is it just ****ty stuff that I bought?

Oh yeah -- What internet games U like to play?
Im into Quake3 TDM/Ra3 and Warcraft3 :)

I've played the Doom series, Quake trilogy, Warcraft trilogy, Starcraft, Half-Life, Counterstrike, Everquest. Presently playing Natural Selection mod for Half-Life a bit and waiting for a couple games to come out - Doom 3, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies.

Beholder
12-21-2002, 06:55 PM
^^^ Cool me too
But anyways, I could eat anything any time and not gain a pound. Ive been a constant 165-170 fer like 2 years and still going strong. If I gain a little 'fat' from a weight gainer post workout I would not be at all concerned...
Also about that Creatine issue...has anyone else had that problem with feeling bloated and funny???

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I agree Gonepostal if the only way you can cram in your daily caloric total then go with the weight gainer and some milk.
Yes, 3500 cals is 1lb when you're cutting. When bulking up, the macronutrient ratio determines if its fat gained or what.

But the point is, you must eat more calories than you burn to bulk up....why not eat as many over as you can?

BCC
12-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by YellowJacket

why not eat as many over as you can?

Because you just may turn into a raging fat ass.

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 08:41 PM
You might, if you're ignorant and do not know what you're doing.

Wizard
12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
C'mon, bcc is right. You can't eat like a pig and avoid becoming a fat ass.. You should create an anabolic environment through proper diet, training and supplementation if you re aiming in gaining quality weight.

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Now dont confuse my statements, I didnt say eat anything you want. I was referrig to eating as many clean calories as you can.

_-_v_-_
12-21-2002, 10:40 PM
"Clean" calories or not, the laws of thermodynamics still apply.

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Yes sir they do and Im well aware of that.....but regardless of your BMR, you're going to have to eat a significant amount of kcals over it to gain weight.

Shao-LiN
12-22-2002, 04:24 AM
I ate about 250 over my BMR and gained some pretty decent weight. I don't consider 250 significantly over, so you'll need to define what you think is significant amount.

bradley
12-22-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by YellowJacket
Yes sir they do and Im well aware of that.....but regardless of your BMR, you're going to have to eat a significant amount of kcals over it to gain weight.

You just stated in another post to eat as many cals over as you can.

Either way you have to have a better approach than that. By adjusting your caloric intake until you are gaining about a pound a week is much more beneficial than saying "eat a significant amount of kcals over." If you just eat without discretion you will proably end up with more muscle, but covered under a nice thick layer of bf.

Wizard
12-22-2002, 06:49 AM
I know what you mean yellowjacket. It's true that it's better to consume clean calories and that it's more difficult to make the majority of your caloric intake come from clean calories than consuming large amounts of junk food. Of course there's a limit somewhere and you have to define it through the trial and error method.

YellowJacket
12-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Exactly wizard....saying you have to eat as many calories over as possible is more of a motivational statement than a law. Go get your novice bodybuilder or weekend warrior and say "no you have to eat more calories than you burn" and these less dedicated guys will eat 15 or 20 over what they're supposed to. By saying "eat as many over your maintainence as you can", they're likely to get at least 300-400 over their maintainence calories, which is fine for bulking.