PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Percentages/Calories to Cut-Maintain-Bulk

farrar
12-21-2002, 06:17 AM
I was hoping to get a general rule of thumb to use in devising my nutrition plan for the upcoming year.

I would like the groupís opinion on how many calories per pound are needed to cut, maintain, and bulk respectively.

I would also like the percentages of protein/carbs/fat to use for each of the above IF you use a different percentage to cut, maintain, and/or bulk up.

I remembered a post some time back where the poster suggested 11 calories to cut, 15 to maintain, and 18-20 to bulk per pound of TOTAL body weight. He also recommended percentages of 45% protein, 35%, carbs, and 20% fat.

If someone could post what they use and/or links to some articles on this topic, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Fluid
12-21-2002, 07:51 AM
There are many different macronutrient ratios used today. You're going to have to figure out what works the best for you, not someone else.

restless
12-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Exactly. General guidelines would be something like: 1 gr per pound protein, 30% fat and the rest carbs. Some people do better on more carbs than others. I for one, feel like **** on a high carb diet, I'm always tired and sleepy. Even when bilking I stay bellow 40% carbs, usually more like 30-35% or so.

restless
12-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Forgot calories, but that's even more individual. Just pick one of those formulas and increase/subtract untill whatever you want to see happen happens.

farrar
12-21-2002, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the information. I have seen numerous formulas but was curious as to the general rules of thumb. I have been using a 45/35/20 split to cut consuming 11 calories per pound of total body weight. At 208 pounds, this would have me consuming 257 grams of protein per day or, about 1.23 grams of protein per pound. I had read that the accepted norm on protein is 1 gram per pound and as high as 1.5 grams. So, I guess I am in the middle. This seems to work fairly well for me as I have gone from 220 and 15% BF to 208 at 9% body fat. This translates into a loss of 14 pounds of fat and a gain of 2 pounds of muscle. I started in April of this year at 231 pounds. 25% BF, and was wearing 40" Levis.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 10:01 AM
http://op1.prosourceonline.com/bmr.asp

Here you go bro. Go their and figure up your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) It will be the very last number, 4 digits. Thats how many calories you need to eat in 1 day to maintain your current bodyweight.

Ok, now 1 pound is equal to 3500 calories. So to gain 1lb a week add 500 calories to that original BMR, eat that number of cals per day and you've gained 1lb. 500 x 7 = 3500. If you're wanting to use this to lose weight, let me know I wrote an article on how to do that.

Shao-LiN
12-21-2002, 10:09 AM
To lose weight, subtract instead of add. In other words, eat less.

farrar
12-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks YellowJacket for the link. When I plug in the numbers, I come up with about 12 calories per pound to lose 1.5 pounds per week and about 15 calories per pound to maintain. Both of these figures are close to what I had been told so that clears things up for me.

Thanks!

Jeff

YellowJacket
12-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Good deal man, best of luck.