PDA

View Full Version : Artificial sweeteners

Reinier
12-22-2002, 06:51 AM
these powders that taste sweet but dont contain any calories is there a catch to them?

can they be harmful in higher doses?

what do they consist of?

Wizard
12-22-2002, 07:15 AM
The most used artificial sweeterer is aspartame. It is thought that certain people are sensitive to aspartame and should avoid consuming it. Some research has suggested long term ill health effects from aspartame but nothing has been proven.
Aspartame is made from an amino acid called phenylalanine.

Then,we have saccharin which is the oldest alternative sweetener. It has been on the list of potential cancer causing agents for 20 years because it is known to cause bladder cancer in lab rats, but no evidence has been found linking saccharin to cancer in humans.

Acesufame is the newest artificial sweetener. The FDA is approving it for use in more foods.It is heat stable so it can be used in baking.

Finally there are the sugar aclohols sorbitol,mannitol and xylitol.They have 1.5-3 cals/gram.In small amounts, sugar alcohols are safe for diabetics so they are marketed to this audience.In large amounts they can cause stomach discomfort.

Reinier
12-22-2002, 08:26 AM
thank you.

noraa
12-23-2002, 01:37 PM
saccharin was recewntly (~2years
) removed from the potential carcinogen list

metabolicwar
12-27-2002, 12:50 AM
I personally wouldn't ingest aspartame or any other artificial sweetener... the FDA denied aspartame approval for over 8 years until the newly appointed FDA commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes overruled the final scientic review panel, approved aspartame, and then went to work for G.D. Searle's (initial owner of aspartame) public relations firm at $1,000 a day... Aspartame has been known to cause spasms, siezures, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, memory loss, burning or itching of the tounge... the list goes on... Aspartame generates methanol in the intestinal tract (which builds up over time) and it's also been demonstrated to cause brain tumors in rats (to which there have been dramatic increases in the incidence of brain tumors in society since aspartame was approved) When stored or heated above 85 degrees F, as in desert heat, aspartame in diet drinks breaks down into neurotoxic substances: Methanol (wood alcohol), Formaldehyde (embalming fluid), Formic Acid (ant sting venom) and DKP (brain tumor agent). The major soft drink companies shipped free Diet Drinks to Desert Storm troops, where they broke down in storage into highly toxic substances. The symptoms reported by the sufferers of "Gulf War Syndrome" mimic the ones of those reporting problems associated with aspartame use today... there is also evidence that it requires a lower temperature than originally thought to create the breakdowns... like body temperature for example... you're better off with sugar.. even though the majority of sugars are processed..

Saint Patrick
12-27-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by metabolicwar
I personally wouldn't ingest aspartame or any other artificial sweetener......blah blah, FDA, blah blah.........

This is the same FDA that came up with the all-mighty food pyramid.
The same FDA that recommends we eat 60% of our calories from carbs.
The same FDA that's in the back pockets of the Cattle and Dairy Farmers.

fuzz
12-27-2002, 01:16 PM
blah

blah

blah

bottom line: people have been ingesting aspartame in huge quantities since it came out, there have been 100's of studies, and there is no evidence or proof that aspartame causes any damage at all - crazy FDA conspiracy theories cannot explain away all of that.

metabolicwar
12-27-2002, 06:26 PM
bla bla bla... nice man.. do you do that when you read the warning labels on things too? "this product contains Aspartame" I don't really care what you do... all I was saying was take heed in what you expose yourself to.. evidence or not... people think they have everything nailed and therein lays the problem.. the whole of society is enshrouded in disease and ill-produced envronments.

fuzz
12-27-2002, 09:03 PM
the warning labels are for certain people who have a condition which means they shouldn't consume aspartame. i dont know the name and am too lazy to look it up, its the phenylsomethingsomething - it has nothing to do with dangers aspartame poses to the general populace.

and just because we don't know everything doesn't mean we can't make some reasonable safe judgements about things. could there be dangers with aspartame we haven't discovered yet? of course. but the same can be said of anything, and then what are you left with?

Wizard
12-27-2002, 09:24 PM
There are people who suffer from phenylketonuria because they have a deficiency of the enzyme that metabolizes phenylalanine (hydroxylase) in the liver. Therefore, phenylananine builds up to toxic levels in the blood.

metabolicwar
12-28-2002, 02:22 AM
fair enough.... I would say that anyone who is unsure about the danger of artificial sweeteners should do their own research and come to their own conclusions.. you guys don't have to argue with me so hard.. you'd think that as builders you wouldn't be so quick to stand on the side of shadowy compounds that are potentially dangerous to the bodies that you work so hard on...

fatsoPanda
12-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know about Splenda?? what's in that aspartame, saccahrin, or what? What about the others...i think Nutrasweet is saccahrin. Equal??? Sweet n Low??

Saint Patrick
12-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Panda -
Nutrasweet = Sahharin, Equal = Aspartame (I think)

Metabolicwar -
The truth is I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners at all. I don't even like the taste of diet sodas. All I was trying to say is, Don't trust the FDA.

fatsoPanda
12-29-2002, 10:34 PM
i'm not a big fan of aritficial sweetners either the thing is though i need something to sweeten up some stuff. Like my sweet potato:D

Also, i use sugar free jelly...and it says nutrasweet on it...was just curious.

also, anyone know about Splenda??

thanks though stpatrick

Nyarlathotep
12-30-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Reinier
these powders that taste sweet but dont contain any calories is there a catch to them?

can they be harmful in higher doses?

what do they consist of?

There is a natural sweetener called Stevia that I've heard good things about, but I have yet to try it personally. You can find some info out here:

http://www.healthy.net/nutrit/kitchen/foods/stevia.asp

Nyarlathotep

restless
12-30-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by fuzz
bottom line: people have been ingesting aspartame in huge quantities since it came out, there have been 100's of studies, and there is no evidence or proof that aspartame causes any damage at all - crazy FDA conspiracy theories cannot explain away all of that.

Some would rather remain ignorant in order to keep their illusions that organisms like the FDA are in fact concerned about your health and not with the food industry profits.

Do a search on the internet about aspartame and read how many people have been seriously affected by it's comsumption.

Acesulfame K seems to be a lot saffer.

eclips1
12-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Bottomline, too much of anything is bad for you.

fuzz
01-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by restless

Some would rather remain ignorant in order to keep their illusions that organisms like the FDA are in fact concerned about your health and not with the food industry profits.

Do a search on the internet about aspartame and read how many people have been seriously affected by it's comsumption.

Acesulfame K seems to be a lot saffer.

I have no illusions about the FDA. I don't doubt their motives are largely funded by and based around food industry profits. But its simply a matter of the number of people consuming aspartame and the number of studies done, and the fact that all anti-aspartame rhetoric comes of sounding as heretical and psuedo-scientific as the anti-milk people.

I've read the websites, they aren't convincing, and its not just the FDA saying that aspartame is unsafe:

American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_1_3X_Aspartame.asp?sitearea=PED

UK Food Standards Agency:
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/aspartamereview

There are too many other to list...I would like to see the peer reviewed studies that point to aspartame causing so many health problems.

Paul Stagg
01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by fuzz

There are too many other to list...I would like to see the peer reviewed studies that point to aspartame causing so many health problems.

Don't hold your breath.

Stray
01-02-2003, 03:39 PM
I think ANY chemical injected in large doses into a rat's head would cause problems.

metabolicwar
01-05-2003, 05:01 AM
But its simply a matter of the number of people consuming aspartame and the number of studies done, and the fact that all anti-aspartame rhetoric comes of sounding as heretical and psuedo-scientific as the anti-milk people.
I'd just like to say that milk is a naturally occuring substance, and aspartame is composed of aspartic acid, methanol and phenylalanine chemically merged together - in a lab... aspartame is a bit heaveir than your usual anti-milk group... as for the people who trust the FDA or whatever other organization claims aspartame is safe.... do you guys remember when it was said that cigaretts weren't addictive?... money determines all... don't trust anyone... and don't let ignorance blind you.. there are always extremes and as long as people are around there will always be lies... you don't even need to look at those aspartame sites, just ask yourself how smart linking those chemicals together to get a substance 200 times sweeter than sugar is... will it kill you? probably not.. it's just something to be aware of.. we've also gotta realize that humanity is dying.. Aspartame is a byproduct of societies decadence.. it's an ode to the falsity and crumbling foundation of our aimless, inverted existence... death to the natural.. earth has been producing things for billions of years, humans came along and thought they could create their own substances whilst maintaining the harmony that took millions of years of evolution and balance to attain.. Aspartame goes with your greenhouse effects, your polluted water, your noise and chaos, your increases in depression, suicide, instinct erosion... if you're part of that plague-like culture then embrace it my friends! consume unto contentment!... hell.. share it with your 5 kids..

_-_v_-_
01-05-2003, 08:56 PM
lmao.

*runs off to show Powerman*

Titan
01-07-2003, 08:36 AM
That is a fricken great post!

Reinier
01-04-2004, 04:03 AM
certainly everybody in the world seems to be saying that aspartame causes cancer...

Shao-LiN
01-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Everyone in the world says something or another will cause cancer.

Holto
01-04-2004, 10:08 AM
I was talking to a bio-chemist who *claimed* to have seen most of the research done on aspartame

this is total hearsay

the rats were fed 5 times there bodyweight intravenously for five days

the average bb would need to drink 60,000 cans in one day to reach this level not to mention the % that would be destroyed in the oral process

the human studies involved paying subjects to drink a case a day for an entire year and allegedly those people are still healthy

I wonder if those people really drank all 24 each day

again total hearsay as I have not seen these studies