PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Bodyopus/CKD carb-ups.

Isaac Wilkins
12-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey all. I'm contemplating a test of Dan Duchaine's Bodyopus diet, and I have a question about the carb ups.

Following his calculations for carb ups, the daily calorie intake for those couple of days is VERY high. I know that during supercompensation, the body can take in extra carb calories without storing them as bodyfat. However, by calculating my intake, here's what the first carb-up day should look like:

Carbs: 1403.2 grams = 5612.8 calories :eek:

That's from carbs alone. I know protein is slightly reduced, but protein and trace fats could easily push that to the neighborhood of 6,500-7,000 calories. This is calculated with my BMR being around 3,000.

Again, I know that calorie intake should be higher than BMR, but this seems to be way too much to me.

Any ideas?

raniali
12-23-2002, 12:48 PM
I read Bodyopus and was convinced that his theory was useful....however you have to follow his refeeds to a T which involves waking in the middle of the night to eat. Personally, I think there are better, easier ways to refeed -- eat more carbs, less fat for 16-36 hours until you are satisfied. It would be a good idea to keep track of what you are eating, but I don't necessarily believe that every calculation is the most useful. On the flip side, 7000calories is possible and ideal for certain very large, muscular people with fast metabolisms. I don't know what your normal daily caloric intake is or your ht/wt/bodyfat to make any judgment about a 7000 cal/day for you.

Isaac Wilkins
12-23-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by raniali
I read Bodyopus and was convinced that his theory was useful....however you have to follow his refeeds to a T which involves waking in the middle of the night to eat. Personally, I think there are better, easier ways to refeed -- eat more carbs, less fat for 16-36 hours until you are satisfied. It would be a good idea to keep track of what you are eating, but I don't necessarily believe that every calculation is the most useful. On the flip side, 7000calories is possible and ideal for certain very large, muscular people with fast metabolisms. I don't know what your normal daily caloric intake is or your ht/wt/bodyfat to make any judgment about a 7000 cal/day for you.

I think 7000 is too high. I'm 6'1", 235ish pounds (perhaps a little less), about 15% bf. I've been cutting slowly on 2800-3000 cals daily.

Yeah, the carb ups at night are a pain, I'd imagine. I'm going to give it a try at some point, but I might modify it a little bit.

I'd be willing to hit 5000 cals on carb up days, but I can't imagine going at 200%-plus cals for 36 hours or so won't pack fat back on.

Wizard
12-23-2002, 03:29 PM
If your fat intake remains low on the carb up day(s) then you won't pack fat back on. Of course 7k cals seems to be very high. 5k would be better.

Thor
12-23-2002, 11:30 PM
i did a ckd and had pretty good results but it's definately a two steps forward one step back diet.i try to do a very strict carb up and keep it at about 24 hours.i found muscle memory helps to make up for any muscle loss that occurs.and remember creatine is your friend