PDA

View Full Version : Just got a "Quesadilla Maker" for Christmas

Moose
12-24-2002, 09:50 PM
What a cool looking little unit. Someone bought it for me because they know I'm time strapped.....and it says it will make them in 4 or 5 minutes (not counting the time to cook the meat/poutry). They said it was the best selling item on Target.com
You put a tortilla bread on the bottom.....put your fillers in.....put a tortilla bread on the top......press down and wait a few minutes.

Anyways, I'm wondering what's the healthiest way to make these things? I'm sure I'll be using mainly Chicken, Turkey, Lean Beef.....maybe even Tuna. But honestly....I don't know what's inside your average Quesadilla. Is it refried beans? I'm going to look for Whole Wheat Tortilla's if I can.....and use fat free cheeses....veggies......Is there such thing as Fat Free or very Low Fat Sour Cream that is actually edible? Any suggestions welcome.

Oh by the way I am definitely not bulking......

Shao-LiN
12-25-2002, 12:04 AM
So they bought you a frying pan? I swear it's the same thing, hehe.

As for average quesadilla...cheese. After that, add whatever you want.

Moose
12-25-2002, 12:31 AM
I guess you could call the George Forman Grill a glorified frying pan.....but I wouldn't want to do without it. Here it is...
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1040798333/ref=sr_1_1/601-4180095-0340905?asin=B00006BSX0

goobermor
12-25-2002, 01:03 AM
Well if your definately not bulking then eating a quesadilla prolly wont help you too much. I find that they aren't too filling for my tastes...I could prolly eat about 1500 kcals of quesadillas before my hunger was moderately appeased.

A good way to make them is to find some tortillas that are low cal (dunno if you will find much of a diff here....two kinds really, corn and flour). Don't put too much cheese on it (low cal cheese), and I'd add in ground beef, left over steak, eggs (breakfast quesadilla), sliced ham, or any other sort of deli meat...those would be easiest for preparation time.

Moose
12-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Great call on the breakfast idea.

I'm probably gonna load these things up pretty good. I'll mainly use Chicken or Turkey......(sometimes lean red meat or tuna)..........Fat Free Cheese.....Vegetables.......Maybe some sort of chili/refried beans too.

I'll have to find some good clean lowfat chili/refried beans and some ultra lowfat sour cream.....otherwise I'll just use salsa.

If I can find Whole Wheat Tortilla Bread...great.......but is regular tortilla bread really that bad for my goals? By goals.....I mean keeping the carbs and fats in check.

Moose
12-25-2002, 01:21 AM
I know what you mean about not fulfilling your hunger. I could go to Applebee's or wherever and demolish about 13 platters of them right now........but I can't do that......so I'm gonna try to use this appliance to my advantage....lol

goobermor
12-25-2002, 01:25 AM
Naw they aren't too bad, as I recall an average flour tortilla (6 inches) is around 100kcals. Corn has less calories...just did a search on
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Personally, the corn tortilla doesnt hold up as well, so if your going to pile things on ( :hump: hooyeah!), then your prolly better off just using the flour ones.

bradley
12-25-2002, 10:05 AM
I would throw in my meat and go easy on the refried beans, especially if you are trying to watch your carbs. Load them up with some veggies (onions, green and red peppers, tomatoes, etc) and top with salsa. Sounds good to me. Looks like it would make a good hot sandwich as well.:burger:

goobermor
12-26-2002, 02:35 AM
Awesome idea bradley, especially if Moose is trying to watch calories, it would be much easier to accomplish with veggies instead.
Now im getting hungry again...mmm xmas leftovers :drooling:

Tryska
12-26-2002, 12:07 PM
belial used to know some place you could get high protein tortillas. i can't remember for the life of me tho.

netrition maybe?

Tryska
12-26-2002, 12:09 PM
it mighta been these, altho they are low cabr, not high-protein:

http://www9.netrition.com/low_carb_tortillas_page.html

Moose
12-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Tryska

Thank you very much!!

Max-Mex
12-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Moose

If I can find Whole Wheat Tortilla Bread...great.......but is regular tortilla bread really that bad for my goals?

NOOOOO!!!! Sorry, whole wheat tortillas suck arse! :D
Just get some low fat or fat free flour tortillas. They are fairly low in cals. Corn tortillas in general are low cal and low fat as well. Just read the label and make your own decision. I can't imagine my cutting diet w/o tortillas. I'd kill myself first!

mr_hand
12-27-2002, 02:36 PM
can these be found in a regular supemarket or do you have to go to a special healthfood store or something?

Max-Mex
12-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by mr_hand
can these be found in a regular supemarket or do you have to go to a special healthfood store or something?

I get my at a regular supermarket. I find them in the Ethnic or Mexican/Hispanic section. Some store will have an International section as well.

Max-Mex
12-28-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
it mighta been these, altho they are low cabr, not high-protein:

http://www9.netrition.com/low_carb_tortillas_page.html

10 tortillas for $2.79?? :omg:

I'd rather stick to regular tortillas.

Tryska
12-28-2002, 08:46 AM
hell i don't know the prices on these things. i don't eat wheat or corn.

Max-Mex
12-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Why not wheat or corn? Just curious.

Most of the health stuff, like those tortillas are kinda expensive anyway. I don't think it's really worth the extra money IMO.

Tryska
12-30-2002, 09:15 AM
the lectins in wheat contribute to insulin resistance, and can cause some other troubles, and corn is the same way for me. pretty much the only grains i use are oats and rice.

xXreevisXx
12-30-2002, 09:32 AM
If wheat is a problem you can also get Ezekiel Tortilla's...

http://www.food-for-life.com/summary.asp?cat=25

They have these at my local Fresh Fields/Whole Foods market. A little more expensive than regular tortillas...

(...as I sit here eating a turkey burger on Ezekiel bread...mmmmm....goood!)

Tryska
12-30-2002, 09:52 AM
i like ezekial bread. their burger buns are the best ever.