PDA

View Full Version : Morning Cardio

Miss Rezza
12-25-2002, 03:53 AM
When talking 'bout before-breakie-cardio, will a simple walk be sufficient....... or would it be best to go for a run or an early morning HIIT session??

:scratch:

Have to admit, i would prefer the walk!:rolleyes:

BirdOfPrey
12-25-2002, 04:28 AM
I am in the military so I have the benifit of "forced" morning cardio. I usually run 4-8 miles a day. According to evrything I have read, though, a brisk walk for 45-60 min is just as good as a run. Now if you do deceide to run, keep in mind that interval runs( ex: sprinting for 1 min and jogging for 30 sec. for a total of 20-30 min) is as good or better than a long, continuos pace run. Hope this helps.

gopher
12-26-2002, 03:29 AM
Higher intensity = more effort but less time doing cardio.
Lower intensity = less effort but more time doing cardio.
I hate cardio so I go for higher intensity and get it over with. I have had good success doing cardio first thing in the am as long as I take BCAAs before I start. Cardio without the BCAAs = muscle waisting for me.

bradley
12-26-2002, 05:04 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20073&highlight=cardio

This thread might help.

Wizard
12-26-2002, 05:58 AM
Go for HIT. It's the best you can do. You lose fat and you don't waste muscle mass.
Sprint for 10-15 sec, then jog/walk for 60-90 sec and repeat it for 6-7 times. Take a 5 sec rest after each sprint.

Tryska
12-26-2002, 01:04 PM
if you've done HIIT correctly tho, you should be sh1te for the rest of the day.

so i would suggest low endurance, unless you are only planning to wake up do cardio and then go back to bed.

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
if you've done HIIT correctly tho, you should be sh1te for the rest of the day.

so i would suggest low endurance, unless you are only planning to wake up do cardio and then go back to bed.

I learnt this the hard way! :(

I decided to give HIIT a go @ 5:30 this morning....... i am now absolutely shattered!!!

.......Definately think i'll be headin' back to bed! :nod:

Good workout though!! :p

Bostek
12-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Yes, over the past few weeks I have learned HIIT is by far the best fat burning thing to do...also I have been using two and a half pound weights strapped to each ankle, this also helps out alot.

Wizard
12-26-2002, 10:13 PM
..to colapse faster, lol!

I really believe it too Bostek.

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Bostek
I have been using two and a half pound weights strapped to each ankle, this also helps out alot.

Goodness gracious me!!! Do you do sprints with those strapped on Bos??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

hmmm, i don't think i'll be attempting that....... at least not in the near future anywayz!! :p

PowerManDL
12-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Just remember.....HIIT is glycogen fueled. Eat first.

Be careful with ankle weights.....they can cause joint issues while running.

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Just remember.....HIIT is glycogen fueled. Eat first.

:swear: :scratch: :cry: :bang: :confused:

Oh, i just get so confused with the whole: "to eat or not to eat" debate!!

:whiner:

PowerManDL
12-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Doesn't have to be a lot, Renee.

Just a few grams of carbs to get you through it.

If you were doing endurance work I'd say no.....but HIIT uses a different method of obtaining energy (glycolysis) that is fueled by carbs.

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 11:41 PM
a piece of fruit perhaps???

PowerManDL
12-26-2002, 11:43 PM
A banana or something would be fine, yeah.

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 11:44 PM
Cool, thanx :)

PowerManDL
12-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Also, take a look at that thread Bradley posted.

Its got most of my thoughts on cardio. You'll probably find some interesting info in it.

Bostek
12-27-2002, 01:32 AM
Yea man, I use the weight's cause they help build strength in my legs. This is my 10th season of football, the past 4 seasons I have played I have started fullback. And I have never been what you call a "fat" kid, I just always had a small gut. Never above 185...Im 5'10 almost 5'11. These help to add mass, and strength to my legs, and help burn the fat a bit faster. Thx to my good buddy Jim, he gave me this tip...works great.

PowerManDL
12-27-2002, 03:22 AM
Still, there's better ways to add mass and burn fat. Ankle weights just aren't that sound biomechanically; you're setting yourself up for an injury using them to sprint.

If you want to add weight, a vest is a much better choice.

Tryska
12-27-2002, 09:37 AM
:withstupi

i was gonna sya exactly what dl said when i saw that ankle weight post.

use a vest. or you could wind up crippled at 35.

AJ_11
12-30-2002, 03:10 AM
Okay I have read all the post and now I am even more confused than before I read anything. Basicially I am looking for a conclusion to this thread as well as the link that bradley posted.

I know that HIIT is the best for fat burning and that time of the day you train doesn't really matter, so I don't need more info on that but more specifically your opinions on maximizing fat burning and minimize muscle catabolisim and the timing of meals.

Here are some of my questions:

1. When should you eat or drink before doing HIIT?
2. What should you eat before HIIT?
3. When should you eat or drink after doing HIIT?
4. What should you eat after HIIT?
5. If using supplement like an ECA stack and creatine what would the proper timing to take those be?

Shocker
12-30-2002, 03:45 AM
i ran 6 kilometres today on soft sand with two 500 metre full pace sprints included at the fourth K and the final 500 ms.

At the end, i just fall into the ocean.

I am really tired from the sun now.

Miss Rezza
12-30-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Shocker
with two 500 metre full pace sprints

:omg: Sheesh Shocker!! I struggle with 50m sprints!! Ace workout :thumbup:

xraygirl
12-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Still, there's better ways to add mass and burn fat. Ankle weights just aren't that sound biomechanically; you're setting yourself up for an injury using them to sprint.

If you want to add weight, a vest is a much better choice.
:withstupi
I've had to xray several people who had developed joint problems from using ankle weights while jogging. It's a really bad idea.