PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Relentless
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Ah, you back now? Lost track of time. Should see if you Scott and Sara wanna get together for some drinks.

just try to give us advance warning of when you'd like to do so

our time is at a premium lately

getfit
03-28-2005, 05:10 PM
*looks around for peter* :(

ElPietro
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Apologies to all my fans. Work has been busy, and they are kinda cracking down on internet usage. It doesn't help that my new desk is in a more visible area, primarily my boss' line of sight. :(

Trained on saturday, did some light leg stuff, trying to work around the back issue, which is still in some pain throughout the day. Did some leg extensions, some lying hammy curls, and some light lunges. Did some ab stuff, but straight leg raises caused me pain so stopped that. Finished with a little bit of cardio and that was it.

I'm afraid until I can someone squirm my way out of this I won't be able to post much at all during the daytime. So will be posting much less for a while.

cphafner
03-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Apologies to all my fans. Work has been busy, and they are kinda cracking down on internet usage. It doesn't help that my new desk is in a more visible area, primarily my boss' line of sight. :(

Trained on saturday, did some light leg stuff, trying to work around the back issue, which is still in some pain throughout the day. Did some leg extensions, some lying hammy curls, and some light lunges. Did some ab stuff, but straight leg raises caused me pain so stopped that. Finished with a little bit of cardio and that was it.

I'm afraid until I can someone squirm my way out of this I won't be able to post much at all during the daytime. So will be posting much less for a while.

My company blocks WBB, sucks. Isn't a happy employee a productive employee? I'd be happier with WBB!

ElPietro
04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Hasn't been the best week as far as my back goes. Was at the chiro monday night. He showed me a couple simple exercises, and did his usual thing. The next day my back was in quite a bit of discomfort. Not a ton of pain, but constantly there. Started getting a bit of pain elsewhere as well. In the end, I left work in the early afternoon, since sitting at my desk was quite irksome.

Took tuesday off. Felt better wednesday, but not quite ok, so only did a single set of one of the two exercises he showed me. Next day back was worse again. Not THAT bad, but noticeably worse. Ended up going to the gym at lunch anyway, since I was going insane from inactivity. Did a really lame push workout, and then determined to troubleshoot my backpain, did those exercises again, but with a bit more volume. Today it doesn't feel too bad, no worse than yesterday anyway. I'm going to the chiro on my lunchbreak, and see what he thinks of this.

bill
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Pete how did you hurt your back this time? I messed mine up yesterday doing sldl!!!!!!!!

getfit
04-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Hasn't been the best week as far as my back goes. Was at the chiro monday night. He showed me a couple simple exercises, and did his usual thing. The next day my back was in quite a bit of discomfort. Not a ton of pain, but constantly there. Started getting a bit of pain elsewhere as well. In the end, I left work in the early afternoon, since sitting at my desk was quite irksome.

Took tuesday off. Felt better wednesday, but not quite ok, so only did a single set of one of the two exercises he showed me. Next day back was worse again. Not THAT bad, but noticeably worse. Ended up going to the gym at lunch anyway, since I was going insane from inactivity. Did a really lame push workout, and then determined to troubleshoot my backpain, did those exercises again, but with a bit more volume. Today it doesn't feel too bad, no worse than yesterday anyway. I'm going to the chiro on my lunchbreak, and see what he thinks of this.

:( :cry:

Relentless
04-01-2005, 04:45 PM
dude, it sounds like a week or two off from lifting entirely might be in order

if you don't get better, you ain't never gonna get bigger

Pup
04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
dude, it sounds like a week or two off from lifting entirely might be in order

if you don't get better, you ain't never gonna get bigger

and we all know that bigger is beautiful-er :)

rookiebldr
04-01-2005, 05:03 PM
NO ACCESS!!!!! Didn't you glare hard enough when they mentioned your desk was moving?

:( Sorry to hear that your back hasn't improved. Wishing you a faster recovery, bud.

Hatred
04-01-2005, 05:59 PM
What do you care about being Bigger? I thought you were a powerlifter?
Frootyboy.

ElPietro
04-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Nope, I don't think I'm a powerlifter anymore. :( I've pretty resigned myself to the fact that I won't compete any further. Sure I could recover and probably get back to my old strength, but it's just going to be a series of peaks and valleys of re-injury to the same area.

Kinda sucks, now I'm just training for the sake of training.

Eating a bit better now though, so that's a plus. Getting into the habit of making sure I get an adequate amount of protein on a daily basis.

My back is stiff today, but it's definitely getting better. Was at the chiro on Monday, but now I'm not seeing him weekly. Will go back in two weeks, and if things are ok, will probably just rehab the rest of the way on my own.

I've worked out a few times, but haven't posted yet. Did chest on monday, and then did a brief leg session yesterday. Still tough to do legs, but I'll slowly incorporate a few more exercises in there before they get too chicken-esque.

Focused70
04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
hm, maybe you can be a bodybuilder now? (half kidding)

I'm sorry to hear that Petey.

Stash

getfit
04-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Nope, I don't think I'm a powerlifter anymore. :( I've pretty resigned myself to the fact that I won't compete any further. Sure I could recover and probably get back to my old strength, but it's just going to be a series of peaks and valleys of re-injury to the same area.

Kinda sucks, now I'm just training for the sake of training.

Eating a bit better now though, so that's a plus. Getting into the habit of making sure I get an adequate amount of protein on a daily basis.

My back is stiff today, but it's definitely getting better. Was at the chiro on Monday, but now I'm not seeing him weekly. Will go back in two weeks, and if things are ok, will probably just rehab the rest of the way on my own.

I've worked out a few times, but haven't posted yet. Did chest on monday, and then did a brief leg session yesterday. Still tough to do legs, but I'll slowly incorporate a few more exercises in there before they get too chicken-esque.

:(

getfit
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
*looks around* bump!

pete update my boy! :)

PizDoff
04-11-2005, 02:03 PM
How's the body feeling Petey?

ElPietro
04-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Meh, back I think is getting back to recovered. I guess I shouldn't say recovered, since I have done nothing strength related with it, but it's pretty much pain free, and stiffness isn't really there much anymore getting out of chairs etc.

Training has gone regularly, just get limited access to the web from work right now, so have been lazy to post workouts from home. Now there are probably too many that I'd be lazy even if I had the time.

Called a couple places to maybe get back into some form of MA. Rebellion and Ultimate are still the two closest places. But BJJ schools are just too much cash for me to dole out right now. Rebellion is $95 a month for BJJ, $60 a month for thai, or $125 a month for both. Ultimate is still dirt cheap, only a few bucks more than I used to pay, it's now just under $60 a month, and that includes MMA if they ever bring it. They say next month probably, but I think they've been saying some **** like that for a couple years now.

Meh, classes are only an hour now, and they have a new gay belt system, probably just to charge extra, but whatever. Woulda loved to train with Omar at rebellion, but can't really justify the cost. Kinda why I stopped going to Karma, when Waggney got there prices went to $100 a month there too. Now it's too far away from me anyway to train at. I'd checkout Shah Franco's again, but it was expensive as well, and had to pay for like 6 months up front or something.

Oh well, I need something new to get me motivated. Now I'll just have to add a bit of conditioning and more stretching to the end of my workouts to get rid of all this tightness.

Maybe I should just sign up at Temple Kungfu. :D

getfit
04-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Meh, back I think is getting back to recovered. I guess I shouldn't say recovered, since I have done nothing strength related with it, but it's pretty much pain free, and stiffness isn't really there much anymore getting out of chairs etc.

Training has gone regularly, just get limited access to the web from work right now, so have been lazy to post workouts from home. Now there are probably too many that I'd be lazy even if I had the time.

Called a couple places to maybe get back into some form of MA. Rebellion and Ultimate are still the two closest places. But BJJ schools are just too much cash for me to dole out right now. Rebellion is $95 a month for BJJ, $60 a month for thai, or $125 a month for both. Ultimate is still dirt cheap, only a few bucks more than I used to pay, it's now just under $60 a month, and that includes MMA if they ever bring it. They say next month probably, but I think they've been saying some **** like that for a couple years now.

Meh, classes are only an hour now, and they have a new gay belt system, probably just to charge extra, but whatever. Woulda loved to train with Omar at rebellion, but can't really justify the cost. Kinda why I stopped going to Karma, when Waggney got there prices went to $100 a month there too. Now it's too far away from me anyway to train at. I'd checkout Shah Franco's again, but it was expensive as well, and had to pay for like 6 months up front or something.

Oh well, I need something new to get me motivated. Now I'll just have to add a bit of conditioning and more stretching to the end of my workouts to get rid of all this tightness.

or ballet! ;)

ElPietro
04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I hear it's great for girly weaklings.

That's right up your alley!

getfit
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
I hear it's great for girly weaklings.

That's right up your alley!
rofl! you couldn't even come close to "what's up in my alley" ;)

ElPietro
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm gonna put my foot "up in your alley soon!" :swear:

Relentless
04-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Ballet is harder than ya think, Pete.

Sara bought this "NYC Ballet School" workout DVD and it runs you through exercises and warmups that the students there do.

Hard work. Sweat-pouring, muscle-cramping, spots-in-front-of-your-eyes hard work.

Don't knock it till you've tried it, TacoBoy.

Plus the culture would be good for you.

getfit
04-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Ballet is harder than ya think, Pete.

Sara bought this "NYC Ballet School" workout DVD and it runs you through exercises and warmups that the students there do.

Hard work. Sweat-pouring, muscle-cramping, spots-in-front-of-your-eyes hard work.

Don't knock it till you've tried it, TacoBoy.

Plus the culture would be good for you.
cal can you see peter doing ballet LOL! SWEET!

getfit
04-11-2005, 03:55 PM
PETER in a pink leotard and tuttu! omg!

PizDoff
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Can you see a ballet dance taking a low kick? Hah!

Temple Kung-Fu, while I know you are joking about it and know of their bull****, should be going out of business soon. I'm glad.

Confirmed the Shah Franco's 6 month contract.

I thought Ultimate already added MMA, checking their website a few days ago. And talking with some guys that go there, MMA is there already.
Apparently the 'belt' rankings, which I understand are arm cords, are to just tell who goes to which level of class apart.

Did you give Siam#1 a call?
I'm going to check that and Ultimate out and see what they say about where I am right now. I'm aiming to get an amateur MT fight this summer.

ElPietro
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Maybe he meant that they will include MMA with the Thai membership as of next month. Oh well, if it's MMA that means my GI will continue to collect dust for more years to come...

Scott, you are gay. That is all.

Monday chest:

BB Bench:

135x10/135x10/225x8/245x5/265x4 :mad:/245x5/225x8

Flat DB Flyes:

50x8/50x8/50x8

DB Incline Bench:

85x6/85x6

Skulls:

110x8/110x8

Triceps Cbl Pushdown:

210x8/225x6/210x8

1 Arm Reverse Grip Tri Pulldown:

60x6/60x6

*Says I did sets of 8 in my notes, but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake.

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

150x6/180x6/195x3/165x7.5

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8/30x8

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8

Went upstairs and did 15 minutes on the elliptical at a fairly frantic pace. Then stretched things out and did my lower back and oblique stuff. Was probably at that for 15-20 minutes.

I even made a post workout shake when I got home. I'm such a good boy.
:rolleyes:

getfit
04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
good boy! oooooo i picked out a ballet school for you lemmie know if you wanna join! :p

cphafner
04-11-2005, 07:01 PM
nice push session!

getfit
04-18-2005, 05:59 PM
bump! bump! bump!

peter are we gonna update these workouts or what?

c'mon now i know you want to :p ;)

Focused70
04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
did someone say :hump:?

Stash

getfit
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
did someone say :hump:?

Stash
bump...........hump! it's all the same too me ;)

Bruteman
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
How's that old body treating you lately man? Is the back good to go, so you can injur it again? :p

Relentless
04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Scott, you are gay. That is all.

You sound more hopeful than critical when you put it like that.

JustinF
04-22-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm suprised to see a session in here, fatty!

Now post another.

ElPietro
04-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Bleh, week before I tried leg press. Did lunges first then leg press. With only 2 plates per side I experienced quite a bit of pain, and then it got worse all night. Luckily next day it just felt like really bad DOMS.

I've redesigned a program, it's a four day split, working everything twice. So upper body/lower body mon/tues and again thurs/fri.

I just did the lower body on saturday since I didn't have my gym stuff on friday. We'll see how it goes next week with a full week on the program.

For what it's worth, here are the three sessions from this past week.

Tuesday Chest:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/255x5/225x8

DB Flyes:

50x8/50x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

195x8/225x8/225x8

1 Arm Rev. Grip Tri Pulldowns:

60x8/65x6/60x8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

150x6/180x6/195x6/210x3

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8/35x6

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8

Probably did some cardio after.

ElPietro
04-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Wednesday Pull:

Chins:

x8/x6

HS Iso Row:

180x6/x6/x6/x6

CG Lat Pulldown:

210x8/210x8

DB CCs:

50x5/50x5/35x8

DB HCs:

40x8/40x8

Rear Delt Cbl Raise:

45x8/45x8

Finished with I think 15 minutes elliptical.

ElPietro
04-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Yesterday's Legs/Abs. (beginning of new program)

Started with 5 minutes on the bike. Followed by several minutes of lower back work on a mat.

DB Lunges:

30s x5/30s x5/30s x5

Leg Extensions:

195x8/225x8/255x8

Seated Leg Curl:

90x8/120x8/120x8/120x8

Seated Calf Raise:

90x8/110x8/140x8/160x8

Cable Crunch:

90x12/105x8/105x8

Decline Situp:

2 sets of 10

15 minutes on the elliptical.

Finished with further lower body stretching.

I'll take it slow for now, and build legs back up. Each of the two lower body days are slightly different exercises. Figure if I warm up on the bike, and then do some of the lower back stuff my chiro gave me, I should at least be able to get started with legs relatively loose and pain free. Tuesday I'll be trying leg press again.

getfit
04-24-2005, 11:44 AM
*rub eyes seeing peter update his journal* ;)

looking good my boy! :)

ElPietro
04-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, today was the first upper body session of my new program. I think I like it. My arms definitely do. Heh, training back and chest together, my arms were easily 20+ inches pumped up. :D

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/275x5/245x5/225x6

Flat DB Flyes:

50x8/55x6/55x6

DB Rows:

Warmed up with a set of 5 chins.

120x8/120x8

*Normall I will do close-grip pulldowns first, but was a busy monday, and both stations were taken.

CG Lat Pull-Downs:

195x8/240x5/210x8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

150x8/180x6/210x6

**Hmm...next time I will do more sets I think. 180 felt light, I stopped to save some energy for heavier work, but should have done another set after 210. Still never got 6 on 210 before, so...*golf clap*.

Rear Delt Cbl Raise:

45x8/45x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/235x7.5

***For some reason, I think I did two sets of 8 with the stack (225) but did not record it, so whatevah.

1 Arm Tri Pull-Downs:

60x6/60x6

DB CCs:

50x6/50x6/35x8

****Woo, +1 rep, and it felt easy first set. I stopped at 6 figuring my left arm would suxxors, but it made it to 6 as well. Twice. :)

DB HCs:

35x8/35x8

:rolleyes:

Streched lower body for a few minutes and that was it. Lower Body tomorrow.

Have a department lunch on thursday for me, because I'm leaving Marketing. Got a new job and pay increase. This was basically a result of my manager trying to stamp out my internet usage, so I checked our HR listings and found a job I was perfect for. So now I go to a secluded corner of the office, with a new job, and more cash. I'll now be known as Senior Analyst, Commercial Sales. :rolleyes:

cphafner
04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
my arms were easily 20+ inches pumped up. :D
a new job, and more cash. :shoot: Damn big bastard.

a new job, and more cash.

It's a shame is in Canadian money! :) Just kidding, congrats man!

ElPietro
04-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Connor. :)

Trained legs today, so it was sorta the big test to see if I could get back to leg pressing or need more time.

Started with a quick 3 minute spaz warmup on the bike, then did some lower back exercises and bit of stretching, then went downstairs.

Some ****head got to the leg press 1.8 seconds before me, so I had to wait about 10 minutes, since I'd be starting with no weight, and not knowing how high I'd be going.

Leg Press:

1 pps x8/2 pps x8/3 pps x8/4 pps x8/5 pps x8

*Well I was happy. I didn't know how things would react, but made it up to my initial warmup weight. Coulda kept going but figure I'm training legs twice a week anyway, so I'll take it slow.

Leg Extensions:

225x8/255x8/270x8

Lying Hamstring Curls:

105x8/120x8/120x8

Standing Calf Raise:

300x8/360x8/360x8

Cable Crunches (heavy pulley):

105x8/120x8/105x10

That's it. Tomorrow is rest or cardio if I'm feeling frisky.

getfit
04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
good boy! 5pps pftttttttttttt! ;)

PowerManDL
04-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Fatty McFat

rookiebldr
04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
About time you got a new job! Congrats.

bill
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Good work Pete, congrats on the promotion.

Focused70
04-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Showoff. :cry::thumbup:

Stash

Relentless
04-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Have a department lunch on thursday for me, because I'm leaving Marketing. Got a new job and pay increase. This was basically a result of my manager trying to stamp out my internet usage, so I checked our HR listings and found a job I was perfect for. So now I go to a secluded corner of the office, with a new job, and more cash. I'll now be known as Senior Analyst, Commercial Sales. :rolleyes:

ROFL

This is possibly the best reason I've ever heard of to leave a job.

Most marketing departments are full of idiots anyway so you're better off. if I didn't run my own department I'd for sure go to sales instead for the freedom and the money.

briancurran01
04-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Congrats on the new job bro...leg workout looking ace

ElPietro
04-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks ppl.

Made it to the gym for my second upper body workout this week.

DB Incline Press:

55x10/65x8/85x6/95x8/95x6/85x8

Dips:

x6/x8/x8

*Finally they brought the dip stations back downstairs. Maybe my continuous rants and calling them ****ing idiots and that they are hardly used upstairs finally dawned on someone. Haven't done em in a while so was pretty hard on the shoulders.

Chins:

x6/x5

**Meh, less than before, but I guess I was a bit drained from chest.

HS Iso Row:

180x8/230x6/230x6/180x8/180x6

Skulls:

110x8/110x8/110x6

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8/30x8

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8

DB CCs:

50x6/50x6/40x6

DB HCs:

40x6/40x6

DB Shrugs:

85x8/95x8

Rear Delt Cbl Raise:

45x8/45x8/45x6

Finished off with an intense 12 minutes on the elliptical.

That's it. Lower body tomorrow.

getfit
04-29-2005, 02:22 AM
sweet! :)

bill
04-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Pete how long have been doing the upper/lower lifting? What do you think of it. Thats what I trying now, sort of copied Justin and read some Lyle Mc.

cphafner
05-01-2005, 06:07 PM
man thats alotta volume, nice work.

ElPietro
05-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey Bill, about 1 week now. :p I figure if I'm going to focus more on physique related goals, then my body would respond better to higher frequency. For me to be able to do this in a given work week with enough recovery time, upper/lower body seems to be the best bet.

Connor, yup, doing all upper body in one session is a lot to manage, but I think I enjoy it. Plus I get to waddle around the gym fully pumped. :D

Made it to the gym friday for my lower body session, forgot my journal but I remember most of it, since it isn't as much volume for lower body.

Started with a few minutes on the bike, and then a few minutes doing some lower back stretching and exercise to warmup.

DB Lunges:

BWx5/40s x5/40s x5/40s x5

Leg Extensions:

240x8/270x8/285x8

Seated Leg Curls:

110x8/120x8/110x8

Seated Calf Raise:

Don't remember all the weights here, it's plate loaded. Did mebbe 5 sets, last two were at 210 lbs.

Cable Crunch: (heavy pulley)

105x8/120x8/105x8 ...or something like that.

Finished with 12 minutes on the elliptical, then a bit more stretching.

Today is the first day of my new job. So bit busy, but my laptop is in the shop, so back at my old desk.

Made it to the gym at lunch to work off some weekend "bulking."

8 minutes on the bike. (was gonna do 10, but had some technical difficulties with the seat, and then when I got back on it had reset)

20 minutes on the elliptical.

Will do upper body tonight, and if time haircut.

That's it for now.

getfit
05-02-2005, 11:42 AM
weekend bulking huh? i can only imagine what that consists of! ;)

Relentless
05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
(was gonna do 10, but had some technical difficulties with the seat, and then when I got back on it had reset)

You know I was going to ask what you meant by that.

Then I decided that we were probably all better off not knowing.

ElPietro
05-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Meh, the pin I guess wasn't fully in, so eventually the seat decided to "adjust" itself under my delicate weight.

Have been training, just not updating. Work has been crazy this week. Been in meetings most of the time, or running around trying to punch out the right people in IT for ****ing things up so badly with all the accesses I require.

I'll post this weeks workouts in sequence.

Monday Upper Body:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/275x6/245x6/225x8

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/55x6/55x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/180x6/210x6/270x4.5/210x8/210x8

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

165x8/195x6/210x5/225x3

Rear Delt Cable Raise:

45x8/45x8

Triceps Pushdown:

210x8/225x8

1 arm reverse grip Tri pull:

60x6/60x6

DB Conc. Curls:

50x8/50x5/40x6

DB Hammer Curls:

35x8/35x8

DB Shrugs:

75x8/95x8/110x8

Can't remember if I did any cardio afterwards.

ElPietro
05-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Tuesday Lower Body:

Did a few minutes on the bike, and a few minutes of stretching and lower back stuff.

Leg Press:

3 pps x8/5 pps x8/6 pps x6/7 pps x6

*At least leg strength is slowly coming back. Lower back was a bit sore today, probably from doing shrugs on monday.

Lying Hamstring Curl:

105x8/120x8/120x8

Leg Extension:

240x8/255x8

Cable Crunch:

105x8/120x8/105x8

Think I did 12 minutes elliptical.

getfit
05-06-2005, 09:32 AM
7ppsx6 pftttttttt i guess i can say that's somewhat good! ;)

ElPietro
05-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Thursday Upper Body:

Felt lazy, but forced myself in. Reduced some sets here and there, and changed some exercises.

DB Incline Press:

65x10/85x8/95x8/95x6

Dips:

x8/x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/180x5/210x5/255x4.5

HS Iso Row:

180x8/180x8

Triceps Pushdown:

210x8/210x8

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/35x8/30x8

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8

1 arm rev. grip tri pulldown:

60x8/60x6

Rear Delt Cbl raise:

45x8

DB CCs:

50x6/50x6/40x6

DB Shrugs:

85x8/95x8/95x8/95x8

That was it.

getfit
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
255x4.5 on CG pulldowns holy ****!

Hatred
05-06-2005, 11:18 AM
You weak Funkling. Go lift something Heavy for a change.

:hide:

ElPietro
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
255x4.5 on CG pulldowns holy ****!

Err...I did 270x4.5 with it on monday. Thursday I guess I'm more drained, and also wasn't really pushing things too hard.

getfit
05-06-2005, 11:36 AM
still good tho peter! :)

ElPietro
05-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Lol, ok, that was my internet usage for today. Back to the big pile of **** that has been heaped on me so far...they seem to call it "work."

Jeff/Scott, I'll try calling you both tonight if i can. But think saturday is a go from my end.

bill
05-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Pete nice work, you can do more on leg press when your at your best aye?

ElPietro
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I think the most I've tried is something like 1,000 for 6 or so. I'm just going slowly, having back pain, and legs that aren't trained for a month or two means easing back in. When 14 total plates feels heavy, I know not to push it. Trying to learn that steady progress is the key, instead of my usual, keep pushing it to see how far I can go, which usually results in me finding out, and having another setback.

Been almost a week off now, will be back in the gym tonight. Probably only train twice this week and start up again with the regular routine on monday.

At least I can still beat up Sylvia. :cool::cool:

getfit
05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
true and the fact that you do always win angers me greatly ;)

ElPietro
05-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I guess some people are just weak, and can't really do anything about it. :)

getfit
05-11-2005, 02:04 PM
i blame it on dairy queen makes me weak ;)

bill
05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Damn sad to hear about the 14 plates, thought I had finally caught up to ya. lol

cphafner
05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
only a 1000 lbs, thats kiddie weight!

Focused70
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
210 on tri pushdowns is almost the whole stack!

What are you, some kind of mofo? :p

Stash

ElPietro
06-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Life has been quite busy of late. New job is keeping me on my toes, so no time currently for worktime posts. Things will settle down probably in another couple weeks. Just gotta keep knocking off jobs that were left unfinished from last guy, while doing much of my old job/training someone that will do it in the interim, until they find a replacement who i'll probably also have to train.

Also, been working downtown on the weekends. Handling the line infront of one of the toughest clubs to get into. Stupidest thing I saw this weekend was a ferrari with a personalized license plate that Read, "Ferrari." Some people are just ****ing ******ed. Rich, but ****ing ******ed.

Also, have quit smoking. Went cold turkey and it's been 3 or more weeks, not sure precisely. As a result I gained maybe 5-7 lbs in a week, and it's levelled off, but not currently coming off. Diet wasn't all that great during the first two weeks, so I'm sure things will get back to setpoint soon.

Still training hard, writing stuff down, just not getting time to post here.

Anyway, that's it for now. Just thought I'd pop in to let you all know that thine lord hath not deserted thee.

Cya suckas.

Focused70
06-01-2005, 08:59 AM
omg, Petey lives. lol.

and the fact that you quit smoking is even better than your post.

nice, vewwy nice.

Stash

getfit
06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
:) :)

ryuage
06-01-2005, 02:26 PM
great job on the smoking front dont give in!

bill
06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
You like choosing who gets to into the club, perks. lol

ElPietro
06-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Monday Upper body:

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8/225x8/275x3/295x1/315x2/335x1/275x(5 or 6)/225x8

*I've never done 2 reps of 3 plates, and never done an unassisted 335, so both were PRs. The first rep of 315 went up really fast, and the 335 was slow as hell, and almost stalled, but it went up without spotter touching. Half the reps on the last set were done with a pause. Was benching with this other big guy that benches all the time, so maybe that motivated me. Although, my guess would be that it's due to me actually consuming SOME protein, and SOME creatine in my diet.

Dips:

x8/x8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

165x6/195x5/210x4

**Felt really lazy here.

Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns:

(150x5/180x5)/210x5/255x5/225x8/210x6

HS Lat Pulldowns:

230x6/260x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8/225x8

1 Arm Reverse Tri Pulldowns:

60x8/60x6

Rear Delt Fly:

30x8/45x6

DB CCs:

50x6/x6/x8

DB HCs:

35x8/35x8/35x8

DB Lateral/Front Raise Supersets:

(30x8/25x6) / (30x8/25x6)

DB Shrugs:

95x8/95x8/95x8

That was it.

Relentless
06-15-2005, 07:20 AM
nice work big man, congrats on the PR

and on the smoking

I will be sending out details on the paintball for this summer soon... Team Black is goin' down baby!

Also, what club ya workin' at?

ElPietro
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I revolve between Brant House and West, both on King St, west of Spadina.

Worked inside West last saturday.

getfit
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
:)

PizDoff
06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
This journal is on the 4th page!??!

Well big dude just wanted to let you know I'm signing up at Ultimate.

ElPietro
06-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Was coming in here just to give a quick update.

I am still considering ultimate, but haven't figured out how I can fit it into my schedule right now. Plus back/flexibility are still an issue, but I'm gonna get more aggressive in trying to strengthen things up.

Other than that, all I can say, is that now that I'm not focused on strength, I am getting stronger. I always new that diet was holding me back, but jesus h. christ, now that I am trying to get more protein, and using creatine somewhat regularly, I'm stronger than I've ever been. Well, at least on bench from what I can see.

Monday I managed 3 reps of 315, which is the most i've done. The first rep is a speed rep now. I can do sets with 225 with tons of speed throughout the entire set. I'm a bit heavier but muscle gain has much improved as well.

My only wish is that I could have focused more on diet prior to my injury, and I wouldn't have stalled for so long, and perhaps never hurt myself.

Oh well, gonna start pushing the lower back, so that it's forced to get stronger. Currently there's been almost no change in stiffness/aches/pains, so need to do try something else.

Work is still pretty mental, but it's slowly getting manageable. My boss is going on vacation soon for a couple weeks, so I should be able to knock off all the things that have been nagging at my time and get a tad more settled in here.

ElPietro
07-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Yesterday I wasn't feeling that strong, but tried to push a bit on bench.

I pulled off 2 reps at 325, with fingertip assistance on the second rep. So not bad I guess. Protein intake hadn't been very good the past week, as well as running out of multivitamins, so I'd not had those for a week as well. That has now been rectified.

I will have to alter my program somewhat though, two times a week is giving great results, but I think I'm feeling the minor aches of the oncoming joint problems I generally get if I press too heavy too frequently. Outer elbow area, or I'm thinking point of attachment on the triceps. I might go back to once a week for a while, or try and discipline myself enough to lift much lighter on the second day.

getfit
07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
325x2 not to shabby old man! :p

getfit
07-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Bah, ****ing failed on a 345 attempt. Hadn't been dieting great, protein,creatine etc. Will probably try again in a couple weeks.

Focused70
07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Sylvia can pull 345, eh wot? ;)

bill
07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Thought we might see a tat pic. Nice PR bro.

ElPietro
07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
It was bench, so not pull, and I failed so no PR. :/

getfit
07-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Sylvia can pull 345, eh wot? ;)
he keeps posting under my screen name! he's a confused boy! ;)

D Breyer
07-12-2005, 08:56 PM
nice lifts EP

PizDoff
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Let me know when you sign up again, have you called Ultimate recently?
There is a summer promotion going on right now.

Take the busy easy bro!

ElPietro
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Capn!

Piz, I am only just now, or past couple weeks starting to work my back harder. Problem was with the back injury, and inactivity in the lower body, everything is super tight, and not very well trained. Working on getting strength back in the legs and lower back, and will start stretching things out a bit more. I'm hoping in another couple weeks, if I can actually find the time, to check out ultimate, since it's cheap. I thought of going to train BJJ with Omar, but it's too much cash, especially if I only go a couple times a week tops.

As for a general update on training, I think things are starting to come along. I am getting a bit less back pain, and feel that it's getting stronger. Legs also feel a bit stronger. I did a quick set of I think it was 6 reps with 20 plates on friday, which felt pretty good. 9 Plates per side felt better as well. Just kept things light on bench, will train full upper body tonight.

Tat is almost fully healed as well, so my paranoia about working out with it is almost gone. Just a few little crusts that probably are ready to fall off but haven't are still there.

Working saturday night was fun. I got to make sure a stupid kid couldn't leave the bar until his $1,500 tab was settled that his credit card couldn't pay for...

bill
07-18-2005, 07:19 PM
20 plates! Take it easy big guy.

ElPietro
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I did this yesterday:

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8/225x8/275x5/315x2+1/275x6/225x8

*First two reps of 3 plates went very fast and for the third for some reason I didn't explode off the bottom and stalled at my sticking point. Needed a bit of a spot for it.

Dips:

x8/x8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

165x6/195x5/240x3/210x5

**Bah! I struggled getting the first rep out of the weird starting position with 240, so it drained me quite a bit. 240 is the stack and I did 5 or 6 reps the last time. Sylvia is my witness.

Cable Tri Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/225x8

1-Arm Rev. Grip Tri Pulldowns:

60x8/60x8

165x8/210x6/270x5/225x6

HS Lat Pulls:

230x8/270x6

DB CCs:

50x6/50x6

DB HCs:

40x6/40x6/40x6

DB Shrugs:

95x8/95x8/95x8

Rear Delt Cbl Raise:

45x8/45x8

I think another week or two of working on strength on my lower back and I'll be able to get back to exercises like standing barbell militaries and barbell shrugs. For now they are still out of my program.

Today I did:

Eliptical x 20mins
Stretching x 10 mins

*ninja smoke bomb*

getfit
07-19-2005, 11:53 AM
i guess the new tat will make you look somewhat like a ninja ;)

maybe not!

fixationdarknes
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Nice workout ElP.

Canadian Crippler
07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Solid indeed. I'm pretty sure you said at the meet you do no direct arm work...

bill
07-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Solid benching. Are still glad about the tat? I may get one some day.

KevinStarke
07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Awesome benching man

ElPietro
07-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. Mitch, I do direct arm work now. I probably went about 6-8 months with little or no work at all on biceps, and I don't think much changed. It's hard to tell one way or another, since diet has always limited me.

Bill yup. I'm very pleased with it. And as other said and I knew ahead of time, the addictive aspect is growing on me already. In fact, it started as soon as I was bandaged up, waiting for Sylvia to stop crying as she got hers. I was just roaming the shop looking at their designs and thinking of where I could put the next one.

It's fully healed, and I've only had positive comments on it.

Made it to the gym for some leg love on my lunchbreak. I was gonna wait till after work, but decided otherwise. Kinda dumb since all I'd eaten was one small cup of natural yogurt, and some gummy worms.

45 Degree Leg Press:

360x10/540x8/720x6/900x5/810x5

*Felt ok I guess.

Leg Extensions:

240x8/270x8/300x6

Lying Hamstring Curls:

105x8/120x8/120x8

Went upstairs for a whopping 10 minutes on the eliptical (intense though). Then stretched quickly for about 5 minutes.

Finished off on the Lower Back machine, progressing up to heavier weight than previous in the 8-12 rep range. I think I'm getting it started on the road to recovery finally. I am judging everything by how it feels the next day, and time for recovery. As it gets stronger I will do more direct work, and eventually return to deadlifting lightly. I am considering working over time to get my deadlift near my previous max, and then just leaving it alone, if that's possible, and focusing on the other lifts. Maybe I'll compete again after all.

getfit
07-20-2005, 02:10 PM
any tips for this gal on powerlifting? ;)

ElPietro
07-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Get stronger.

getfit
07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
:( i thought i was strong! oh well i'll try wrestling instead! ;)

ElPietro
07-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Haha, if you are going to start, for the first month just focus on abdominal and lower back strength.

Add in SLDLs to your routine, and maybe work on increasing the weight on your abdominal stuff.

Although, I don't know why you'd be thinking of powerlifting right now if your wrist is bothering you. Or just focus on core strength, and the other two lifts, and ignore bench for a while until your wrist is recovered.

getfit
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
i have SLDL in my routine!

bench is out of the question! but wrestling seems more my type of thing i think ;)

ElPietro
07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Haha, well you weren't very good at it when you tried on me!

Maybe you should start doing some conventional deadlifts then. It will let you lift more weight and get your body accustom to the added stress. After that you'll want to completely redesign your routine, but for now I wouldn't. I'd start doing one or two sets with near max weight and 3 or less reps on any compound movements.

getfit
07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
well you know how it angers me that i can't wrestle you!

i've been deadlifting but not as often as i should actually hardly at all!

ok so i suck oh well *goes off to play with her dolls*

ElPietro
07-20-2005, 03:03 PM
So what's the problem? Go deadlift. In fact, why not make a seperate day, JUST for deadlifts. Then work in heavy rep ranges.

getfit
07-20-2005, 03:12 PM
i think so! i'm just not where i want to be!

my strength has gone down:( makes me feel blue:(

fixationdarknes
07-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Elp, that leg press is looking good.

GF- My strength went down too when I got lazy but just keep going GF! You can do it!...I believe in you! Better yet, go have a blizzard and THEN deadlift afterwards. You'll hit much higher weights.

ElPietro
07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Holy crap, I don't know what's going on but my strength is really gaining. I know I've always thought of diet as being highly critical, but this is getting rediculous.

I hadn't done incline dumbell press in quite some time, and once more than a few months ago, I tried the 110s and couldn't get them in position for the first rep.

Last night I ripped off 8 reps with the 110s. And the first 4-5 were actually fast!

Man, now that I'm having all these gains, I'm guessing that some folks at the gym think I've started injecting. It's amazing what the right amount of protein and a bit of creatine can do. The funny thing is I ran out of creatine last week, and only just got my supply the night before, so only had a chance to use it once the day of the workout.

getfit
07-22-2005, 08:44 AM
that's awesome peter 120's are next! :)

briancurran01
07-22-2005, 08:53 AM
nice work el p...man 110's...i struggle with 75's

KevinStarke
07-22-2005, 09:45 AM
110s are pretty solid man keep it up.

Hatred
07-22-2005, 01:57 PM
well you know how it angers me that i can't wrestle you!

i've been deadlifting but not as often as i should actually hardly at all!

ok so i suck oh well *goes off to play with her dolls*
If you wield a greased cucumber I am willing to bet he will fear you.

Canadian Crippler
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Holy crap, I don't know what's going on but my strength is really gaining. I know I've always thought of diet as being highly critical, but this is getting rediculous.

I hadn't done incline dumbell press in quite some time, and once more than a few months ago, I tried the 110s and couldn't get them in position for the first rep.

Last night I ripped off 8 reps with the 110s. And the first 4-5 were actually fast!

Man, now that I'm having all these gains, I'm guessing that some folks at the gym think I've started injecting. It's amazing what the right amount of protein and a bit of creatine can do. The funny thing is I ran out of creatine last week, and only just got my supply the night before, so only had a chance to use it once the day of the workout.As crazy and scientifically impossible as this sounds... whenever I take an extra 5g of creatine on top of my usual 5g (and 1 more litre of water), the next day I feel and AM a lot stronger.

getfit
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
If you wield a greased cucumber I am willing to bet he will fear you.
:eek: it doesn't matter what i try he still doesn't fear me! :cry:

Focused70
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM
*whistles*

bill
07-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Pete much agree on the creatine and increase in protein.

PizDoff
07-23-2005, 10:44 AM
"ridiculous"

Heh, where are you working? Give me a PM about that.

ElPietro
07-25-2005, 07:37 AM
I work at Brant House and West on the weekends. Usually only saturday nights though. 500-ish King Street W.

Brant = Nearly impossible to get in.
West = Pretty easy.

The talent is out of this world though.

Brant is just an uber upscale of Easy & the Fifth, which I believe they have put out of business.

ericg
07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Nice work with the inclines bro. I find the hardest part of any DB pressing movement is just getting them in place and grinding out that first rep.

ElPietro
07-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Yeah, that's why I called the big guy over to spot. What surprised me, was that I was way off target on where they needed to be for the first rep but still powered through it pretty easily. Normally if the dbs aren't in the right groove it's futile.

Ugh, my arms are beet red from the sun this past weekend. But I used 45 sunblock on my tat, I have a nice perfect line on my arm where on one side it's white and the other it's red. :(

ElPietro
07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Yesterday's Lunch back stuff:

CG Lat Pulldowns:

165x10/210x6/270x6/285x3/225x8

HS Front Lat Pulls:

270x6/270x6

DB CCs:

50x6/50x6

DB HCs:

40x8/40x8

Finished with either 13 or 15 minutes on the eliptical. Stretched things out a bit.

Today's lunch time excitement.

DB Lunges:

bwx5/35x5/35x5

*This was basically just a warmup. Going in I was gonna do legs, then I thought, maybe it's time to get going with squats again. Then as I stared at the rack, I thought, maybe deadlifts would be a way to start fixing what they broke.

So I warmed up more on the lower back machine. Did a couple sets on it, stretched a little more.

Deadlifts:

135x6/135x6/135x6

**Ha! I pwnd that one plate! :D My back felt ok during these. It was a bit tight, just from the other stuff etc, but didn't feel "bad."

Hang Cleans:

135x3/135x3/135x3

***I just felt like doing these.

The joy of deadlifting was only slightly curtailed by the fact that I was only pulling 24.6575342% of my 1RM.

I finished with 10 minutes on the eliptical, and then did some further stretching for about 5 minutes.

ElPietro
07-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Wewt! This annoying head hunter kept giving out my resume because he's basically desperate, and I kept shooting down the interview offers. But finally he managed to find a decent job, I agreed to a phone interview. That was monday, then I had a face to face interview yesterday after my morning 9 holes of golf, and now today just after 4pm I get the call back with a job offer.

Of course I will now hear back from them after I tried to squeeze some more blood out of them, but by accepting this job at what they offered it'll be a 16% increase, or just over 21% if they accept my counter.

I'll also be working right downtown, 28th floor of one of the Eaton Centre towers. I was in the process of putting my car on the market, now I'm thinking I might just go without a car at all for a while. My mother uses her camry once a week so it's there if I need it.

I'm also pleased, since they interviewed 3 other people that day, and they picked me even after I told them they'd need to come in near the top of the pay range I was quoted for this position.

*pats self on back*

I just feel bad for my poor manager at my current job. :( She only hired me in May.

Ps. Anyone that has a reason why I should accept a management position with Bell Canada speak your piece now. I'll be using some good software I've been trying to get at for a while, and there should be plenty of opportunities within this big fat bitch of a company.

Canadian Crippler
07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
They have really nice facilities from what I here.

Someone told me you bought equipment back in the day. Doesn't seem you use it though. Are you selling it by any chance?

ElPietro
07-30-2005, 07:14 AM
I sold it to another powerlifter after I'd sold my house.

Sucked when I spent over $1,500 and then sold it for just under a grand less than 3 months later.

Thank you for reminding me! :cry:

bill
07-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Good workout Pete. Wish I had your negotiating skilzs!

cphafner
07-30-2005, 09:58 AM
congrats on the job offer!

ElPietro
08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok, I have returned their offer with my agreement. Final increase ended up being 20.5%, so I am pleased.

As of august 29th, I will be known as Manager, Development and Implementation of CRM, for Bell Canada.

:cool::cool:

Anthony
08-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Congrats Pete! It's so much easier to negotiate when you don't need the job. Nicely done!

ericg
08-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Congrats on the new job! :thumbup:

getfit
08-03-2005, 09:34 AM
that's great peter! :)

galileo
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Congratulations. In what area is your degree?

ElPietro
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I majored in economics.

One thing I can tell you, is that with sufficient experience, whatver your BA is makes little difference. I could see how post graduate work could make a difference in some positions, but a bachelors degree seems to be irrelevant these days, other than "right out of school."

galileo
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I agree with what you've said. The only oddity is with technical degrees where you can end up being valued for a level of skill that not many possess. It's easy to keep those types away from management because they want to retain said skill.

I'm pursuing my MBA now, hoping to get into IT Management within a few years.

ElPietro
08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Well yeah, technical degrees are different, since much of what is learned is directly applicable to day to day work functions.

I mean, learning VB or Java will directly affect you if you are hired as a software developer engineer.

Knowing the money multiplier or how Tariffs can affect import/export commodity pricing is pretty much a useless steaming pile of dog****. Unless, that is, you are in that very specific field, and even then, most of what was taught would be too general and you'd be trained for your specific commodity/industry anyway.

Ultimately, experience trumps everything, but some companies will have it as a minimum, and an MBA can also be viewed as a requirement to attain certain levels of management, and can certainly help when being hired. Companies will see it as something that they won't have to spend cash on, and already will open up opportunities for you that may have been closed off.

Canadian Crippler
08-03-2005, 01:20 PM
..........Yea!

Pete, where'd you buy your ****? I've been looking around and everything is such a damn ripoff.

ElPietro
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
www.fitnesssource.ca

You could probably bargain with them a little bit depending on how much you order. They have a few large warehouses, and I'm thinking the one in Vaughan is closest to you. Their main warehouse I believe is in Mississauga.

Canadian Crippler
08-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks, that's cheapest yet besides the online ones which get you on freight. Why'd you sell your stuff anyways? Moved to an apartment?

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Alright, got a ****load of questions for ya.

1) What exactly did you buy for $1500?
2) You mentioned you had the powertec rack... how much was it? From fitnesssource?
3) Which location did you shop at?

4) What do you think of this:
Keys Power Rack w/ dipping bars - $600
Keys Incline/Decline/Flat/90 Bench - $250
Olympic Bar + Weights (300lbs) - $199
150lbs of additional plates - $89
Adjustable DB Handles - $64
Thick mat for floor - $65
= $1440 after tax

ElPietro
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Alright, got a ****load of questions for ya.

1) What exactly did you buy for $1500?
2) You mentioned you had the powertec rack... how much was it? From fitnesssource?
3) Which location did you shop at?

4) What do you think of this:
Keys Power Rack w/ dipping bars - $600
Keys Incline/Decline/Flat/90 Bench - $250
Olympic Bar + Weights (300lbs) - $199
150lbs of additional plates - $89
Adjustable DB Handles - $64
Thick mat for floor - $65
= $1440 after tax

First off, yeah I sold my house and moved into a condo.

I shopped at the location in Vaughan I think it was. That road that parallels Highway 7, just north of it. Can't remember what it's called.

And LMAO at your list, it's almost exactly what I bought. Only I bought two of those flooring mats. You can fit the rack and everything on one mat, but I'd recommend two, that way you can have room at the sides of the rack, and infront of the rack for deads.

I don't know exactly how much everythign cost, because I originally bought the powertec squat rack/bench system. Where there was an open rack, with a bench that sorta parked and secured into the rack. This thing sucked ass bigtime, so I returned it and paid a restocking fee, then went with the other stuff.

My flat bench was a keyes, I think light commercial, which I got a bit of a deal on since it was a floor model and I was spending some cash.

When loading the plates to my car, whenever I could grab Ivankos I did that as well. :D I think the guy I dealt with was named Jeff. He was pretty cool, and I made him jump through hoops a few times, so I was pleased with the level of service.

I don't remember the Keyes rack, I had the black powertec rack, that weighed about double what any other racks they had did.

Then I got a totally sweet weight tree from my gym, when they were getting rid of them.

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
First off, yeah I sold my house and moved into a condo.

I shopped at the location in Vaughan I think it was. That road that parallels Highway 7, just north of it. Can't remember what it's called.

And LMAO at your list, it's almost exactly what I bought. Only I bought two of those flooring mats. You can fit the rack and everything on one mat, but I'd recommend two, that way you can have room at the sides of the rack, and infront of the rack for deads.

I don't know exactly how much everythign cost, because I originally bought the powertec squat rack/bench system. Where there was an open rack, with a bench that sorta parked and secured into the rack. This thing sucked ass bigtime, so I returned it and paid a restocking fee, then went with the other stuff.

My flat bench was a keyes, I think light commercial, which I got a bit of a deal on since it was a floor model and I was spending some cash.

When loading the plates to my car, whenever I could grab Ivankos I did that as well. :D I think the guy I dealt with was named Jeff. He was pretty cool, and I made him jump through hoops a few times, so I was pleased with the level of service.

I don't remember the Keyes rack, I had the black powertec rack, that weighed about double what any other racks they had did.

Then I got a totally sweet weight tree from my gym, when they were getting rid of them.Langstaff? Theres 2 location both on streets just north of 7. :cry:

I was gonna buy two mats but those ****ers are expensive. I can do deads on one but it's very tight. I'm gonna look around for much smaller sized (1' x 2' small) and just place those on the sides when I do deads. Should save me $50.

I'm as well buying the floor model bench. $150 cheaper :evillaugh

The main problem I have right now are the plates. They've got these really thick ass keys plates at the moment. I can't fit more than 4 a side on the DBs, though if I had the plates my gym owns I could likely for 6 or 7. No way I'm buying all these plates and handles if the DBs will only go up to 96lbs.

The guy there is a big ****; doesn't even lift and uses "curling" as every example. Wouldn't even contemplate bargaining a little bit. Gonna try the other locations.

Thanks for the answers f00.

fixationdarknes
08-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey ElP, I'm thinking of buying the Powertec rack (costs around 350-400). Do you like it? Also, do I need mats? Right now I deadlift on the rug in my garage.

ElPietro
08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Mitch, you can deadlift inside the rack remember. Just remove the pins. I just got the extra mat so that I would have a bit more flexibility in where I moved my bench. And yeah, it was Langstaff. Think it's near Jane. For the plates, you could buy some of the Ivankos they have there. Just ones for your DBs. It will cost more but at least allow them to be useful. I know the place I went to had 2 or 3 types of plates. Maybe if you cut your hair you'd get a better deal bitch! :p

Fixation, if it's the powertec rack that weighs like 265lbs and is usually pictured in black, then yeah I recommend that. It is commercial grade in my opinion. Anything I'd try in a gym rack I'd be comfortable with in that sumbitch.

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 11:01 AM
So you didn't purchase the PowerTec rack from fitnesssource?

ElPietro
08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Uh, yes, I did. Where did I say something that lead you to believe otherwise?

I bought everything from there. First I bought some other ****, then I returned "some" of the ****, I paid a restocking fee and bought "other" ****. I first bought the powertec system which wasn't the power rack, then returned that and bought the bigass black power rack that weighs like 265lbs.

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
My head hurts :p.

One more question: How much was it? It's not listed on their site.

EDIT: Those ****heads didnt have 10s or 5s in anything besides the thickass Keys plates. I'm gonna try the location at Kennedy and 7 maybe.

ElPietro
08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I can't remember, I think he messed up on the price by $100 in my favour, so I didn't say anything. I'd guess between $500 and $700 though. Just jot the product number down and call the guys. If they ask you to come in, say you have already received quotes on a few pieces, and you are just trying to get the right combo of equipment and can't keep coming in.

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Damn. They don't carry PowerTec anymore =/. They also don't have anything besides those thick mofo plates in any location unless I order Ivanko's for $1.49 a lb..... So looks like I'm gonna be shelling at 1500 hundo on all this.

ElPietro
08-05-2005, 11:18 AM
You could call Powertec and ask them where their nearest canadian distributor is, and get the rack there.

Also, you can just get the regular weight, and then maybe raid a bunch of Play It Again Sports for any thin 10 lb plates for your oly db handles.

Canadian Crippler
08-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I like both suggestions. I'm trying to get this price around $1200 if not less. Any more suggestions?

ElPietro
08-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Not really, think you have everything covered. You can always slowly add to your home gym as you go along anyway.

Did a lat session on sunday. I did some light BB Shrugs, and it didn't feel too bad on the lower back. Stopped at 3 plates for now.

Last night I went in for a push workout.

Flat BB Bench:

175x8/175x8/225x8/275x3/295x1/315x3/225x8

DB Flyes:

40x8/50x8/50x8

*I think I did 3 sets...going from memory.

Standing BB Military Press:

135x6/165x3/135x6

**Woo, one of my fav exercises is back.

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

195x6/225x4

Tri Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/225x8

1-arm Tri Pulldowns:

75x8/75x6

DB Lateral Raise:

40x8/40x8

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x8

Finished with 15 minutes on the eliptical.

Anthony
08-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Nice benching Pete. Have you gone to see a specialist about your back? Ie, do you know wtf is causing you so much grief?

ElPietro
08-09-2005, 08:08 AM
I went to a chiro, and they couldn't precisely isolate anything. The doc and chiro both said that everything had been strained over and over numerous times, and that it seemed like something was fuxxors with my SI joint. It's not just general aggravation now though. It used to be just "lower back" pain, but now it's primarily all on the left side, from the one stupid deadlift in Columbus.

The chiro I don't think helped much at all, and then I just babied it, but now I'm just gonna start strength training it again, and get it to a reasonable strength level, and see how that feels. So gonna work in deads and squats again, and other stuff that pressures it like standing millies and bb shrugs.

I think it's getting better doing things this way. Just gotta make sure I don't go too fast.

Anthony
08-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Chiros are voodoo, they aren't even real doctors and don't know wtf they are talking about. :p

ElPietro
08-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah but the doc checked me first.

My body was all twisted. He just asked me to face him, and then pointed out that nothing was lining up. Knees were slightly offset from my hips, and from my torso, etc.

Although, I'd probably expect the same from most guys that powerlift.

ElPietro
08-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Went home and grabbed some gym clothes and did a quick session.

Worked lower back a bit and abs. Managed to work up to a couple of triples of 185 on deadlifts.

Canadian Crippler
08-09-2005, 12:12 PM
lmao. ;)

Tis a wise decision to come back with it slowly especially due to how fragile your LB likely is now. I made the mistake of going heavy 1st session back after a 8 week hand injury and nearly ****ed it up again.

ElPietro
08-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Here is yesterday's chest session. I had been gettin in some protein supps the past few days, so felt like I was ready to try for a bench PR. Taco Bell at lunch just to give me that added edge. :cool:

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8/225x8/275x3/315x1/345x1/225x8

*Woot! I remember trying and failing on 335 on more than one occaision. I got it maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago, and then failed on 345 so backed off for a while. I told the spotter not to touch anything unless it was crashing down on me. Blasted from the chest, nearly stopped at the sticking point, then I let out what I guess was an ungodly sound to lock it out. Glad I couldn't hear myself with the MP3 going. Will probably switch to DBs for a couple of weeks now.

DB Flyes:

45x8/55x8

Dips:

x8/x8

Standing Barbell Military Press:

135x5/155x5/155x4/135x5

Tricesp Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/235x8

1-Handed Rev. Grip Tri Pulldowns:

75x6/75x6

DB Laterals:

35x8/35x8

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x8

Finished with 12 minutes on the eliptical and then stretched things out a bit.

:cool::cool:

getfit
08-16-2005, 09:48 AM
is taco bell your protein supps? ;)

ElPietro
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
No protein is my protein supps. Taco Bell is my happiness supp. :)

Canadian Crippler
08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
You must be a pretty happy guy then.

harv
08-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Congrats on the bench...must have been that Chalupa!

Guido
08-17-2005, 07:43 AM
*Tacos, burritos. What's coming out of those Speedos.* He he. An old chant we used to do on the old swim team. In case you coiuldn't tell, Taco Smell does bad things to me.

Song of the day:

Tokyo Ghetto Pussy - I Kiss Your Lips

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tokyo+Ghetto+Pussy

ElPietro
08-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks folks. Today I went into the gym, I didn't really know what I was gonna do so didn't have a plan.

I did a couple of sets of 225 on bench, since my shoulder was hurting monday before and after the 345 rep. It started hurting again today, but not any worse, so probably just a bit of weardown.

Did a few exercises and stretches for probably 15 minutes around the power rack, and finally tried to squat. I've probably count on one hand how many times I've squated this year. I don't think I've done any since the back injury, so everything was especially tight. Need to get the glutes going again, so figure I prefer squats to lunges.

Just did mostly form work, I didn't break a sweat at all. Did a few sets with 135, just sinking down as far as possble, then a few sets with 185, speed reps basically, but making sure that depth was as low as possible. I think I'm gonna start squatting twice a week and build this lift back up. Quad strength is fine, but glutes, lower back obviously, and hips and hamstrings could really use some love.

I'm still arguing with myself on whether or not I should train to compete again or not. If my squat gets back in shape, and my bench keeps moving slowly but surely, I'll be tempted to get my deadlift back to my old max. But if I can get it there of course the temptation to keep furthering it will be there as well, which means it's almost a certainty that one day my back will go again.

It's either that, or just weight train and maybe go back to thai boxing and lean out, and try and look sexy instead.

ElPietro
08-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Arg, yesterday was not an ideal training session, but still didn't do too poorly.

I'm on my last week at work, and this girl at work wants me to show her a routine and some exercises.

So we went at lunch, and I made the mistake of thinking I could train and train her at the same time.

So all I got out of my lunch session before I realized I wouldn't have time was:

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8/225x8/275x3/315x3

So it was tough, but I forced myself back to the gym after work, not knowing what I wanted to do. Was gonna do some light benching to warmup, and take it a bit easy. Then the big ****er comes and wants to train with me, so I'm forced to go heavy again.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/175x8/225x5/275x3/315x2/335x1/225x8

*315 felt way heavy the second time around, and was surprised I even put up 335. At least he didn't touch the bar so it was all me. Not bad for the 2nd bench session of the day.

Then the ****er talks me into doing some incline DBs.

DB Incline Bench:

65x8/85x5/110x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/225x8

1-arm Rev. Grip Tri Pulldowns:

75x6/60x8

DB Laterals:

35x8/35x8

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x6

Finished with 15 minutes on the eliptical, and about 2 whole minutes of stretching.

If I can eat well this week and through the weekend, I might give 355 a whirl next monday. It'll be my first day at the new job though, so dunno how things will work out.

galileo
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
345x1! 315x3! Damnit.

getfit
08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
i'm sure pete can get 355! :)

Canadian Crippler
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15777

ElPietro
08-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Wow, look at me. I know I am hammered there, because that's the only time I can actually smile.

Thus concludes the random pic of the week.

Started my new job yesterday. Bit frustrating, since they got my name wrong for my email, and my laptop wasn't there, nor was anyone that could track if it was ordered. Just discovered they are currently imaging it, but won't be ready until next week. :mad:

I guess that's cool though, since I'll get to take friday off for the long weekend since I can't really do anything right now. People there are really cool. I spent part of the day hitting putts from across the office, and having lunch downtown over crude masturbation jokes by the guys i'm working with, and my boss who's a chick, and her bosses boss, who is also pretty cool for a "way up the foodchain" guy. At least I got my ****ing access card today so I don't have to keep calling on the phone to get people to let me in.

Now time to get my fatass to the gym.

rookiebldr
08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
You didn't expect them to have things ready for you the first day, right? I'm sure it's all a test so they can see much fun you are in those first few days. Winning?

Congrats on the 335, Pete. 355 will be yours soon!

MM
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, look at me. I know I am hammered there, because that's the only time I can actually smile.

I've found that being hammered helps me do most things. Except clean and press.

BP 355.

ElPietro
08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Failed 355 tonight, but I"m not too disappointed. No protein in my diet, nor creatine, I'll bump things up before next week and maybe try again, or give'er a week before my next attempt at it.

ElPietro
08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the 335, Pete. 355 will be yours soon!

I hit 345 a few weeks ago, so bah to you.

MM
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Frankly I find that protein makes a 100% difference on my ability to put up a 1RM. Creatine, not so much, but it seems to really do the trick for other people. If you were close on the 355 I'll bet getting protein in would make all the difference in putting it up.

Canadian Crippler
08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I take 5-10 extra grams of creatine the day before 1RM and every single time I have either repped it twice or done more weight than expected. Probably makes no sense, so placebo rules :).

Teh BDK
08-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Protein don't mean ****.

Its stimulants that will get the weight to move and DONT DISPUTE ME!

TTT
08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Failed 355 tonight, but I"m not too disappointed. No protein in my diet, nor creatine, I'll bump things up before next week and maybe try again, or give'er a week before my next attempt at it.

You can do it!!!

Canadian Crippler
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Check out Finertia off topic holmes.

getfit
10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Trained at my gym today with some wbb folks.

Trained chest/shoulders/tris.

Workout will look a tad odd, since I finished but then kept going since some were late and took longer. Going from memory.

Incline Dumbell Bench:

55x10/75x6/95x5/120x6/120x4

*Cool, new PR, and now have gone as high as the DBs go in this gym.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/55x 6 or 8 can't remember

135x6/135x6/135x6

Skull Crushers:

110x8/110x8

Tri Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/225x8/225x8/225x6

DB Laterals:

35x8/35x8

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x8

Flat BB Bench:

135x20/225x10/135x20

**These were all speed sets. Just thought I'd do a bit of burnout.

Went and did 10 minutes, pretty high intensity on the eliptical.

Came down, they were still training so...

Dips:

3 sets of 8

Overhead DB Extensions:

65x8/95x6

Getting bored...

Incline Dumbell Bench Press:

95x8

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8

Then that was it. Protein shake and pizza afterwards.

Triceps spasms a bit if I straighten my arm, which is cool. :cool:

ElPietro
10-01-2005, 06:04 PM
****! Next time logout!

getfit
10-02-2005, 05:09 AM
damn, i've gotten that strong :p

lilmase1153
10-02-2005, 05:21 AM
uh oh trouble in paradise :D

damn GF you got strong :p

but really nice w/o pete those are some damn good db inclines... and it feels good saying my gym doesnt have big enough DBs huh.... I cant wait for the arnold to train with all of you cause it will be good times damn it...

getfit
10-02-2005, 05:21 AM
may i add that you've done well peter 120 is very impressive.

getfit
10-02-2005, 05:22 AM
uh oh trouble in paradise :D

damn GF you got strong :p

but really nice w/o pete those are some damn good db inclines... and it feels good saying my gym doesnt have big enough DBs huh.... I cant wait for the arnold to train with all of you cause it will be good times damn it...
heh ;)

Focused70
10-02-2005, 08:55 AM
It's that extra special Canuckian water, don'cha know.

;)

ElPietro
10-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Monday I did a short leg session. Leg Press up to 9 pps, some extensions, hammies, and 15 minutes cardio and some stretching.

Last night was back night. (going from memory)

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/210x8/285x5/285x4/240x 6 or 8/210x 6 or 8

*Need to start remembering to bring my journal to the gym.

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Lower Back

3 or 4 sets on seated back extension machine.

**Just warming things up to try some deadlifts. Must start deadlifting again. Deadlifts....mmmm. Back was on fire from this though. :(

Sumo DeAdS:

135x3/185x5/225x3/255x 3 or 5/255?

***Bah, I can't remember if I did two sets with 255, but basically, just slowly progressing my way back. Oh well, almost 50% of old max, we'll get there. If I feel I'm risking re-injury from this as I go heavier, then I guess that's the end of things...I'm not sure how the SI joint will be on any deadlift form anyway. Tried em a week or so ago, and had pain on the left side where the major problem is, but so far today just general aches.

DB Shrugs:

95x8/110x8/110x8

DB CCs:

45x8/45x6/35x8

DB HCs:

40x8/40x8/35x8

Cable Curls: (on heavy pulley)

90x10/120x8/105x8

*Think that's what I did...

Straight Leg Raise:

2 sets of 8

Finished with 5-10 minutes of stretching things out, and my body felt like a train wreck by the time I got to bed.

Tonight is rest day/watch Leafs. Tomorrow chest.

ElPietro
10-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Had about a week off, partly due to things getting in the way, and partly due to laziness.

Push stuff.

Incline Dumbell Bench Press:

65x8/75x5/95x5/120x6/120x4.68/95x6

DB Flyes:

45x6/55x6

Dips:

2 sets of 8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

180x6/210x6

Overhead DB Extensions:

75x6/85x6/85x6

DB Lateral Raise:

35x6/35x6

DB Front Raise:

30x6/30x6/30x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x20/225x8/135x18

Finished with 15 minutes on the eliptical.

Canadian Crippler
10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Do you train legs??

ElPietro
10-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Monday I did a short leg session. Leg Press up to 9 pps, some extensions, hammies, and 15 minutes cardio and some stretching.

Reading is a terrible gift to waste.

ericg
10-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Nice workout Pete. IMO, you would put up some huge numbers if you were 110% consistent with everything. Dont take that as a knock, but as a compliment to your abilities. Do you think you will compete again?

ElPietro
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Eric! You are teh alive! Thanks, and yeah consistency is one thing I am struggling a bit with, especially now being downtown for work. I WAS consistently going over this time, just not posting as much. Only thing I wasn't consistent with were legs, since the lower back I haven't trained them much, but now trying to work them in regularly at least once per week. If ever I could be consistent with diet and protein/creatine intake, I'd be going much better than I am.

Whether I compete or not will be determined by my deadlift. I'm gonna keep bumping it up slowly and see how far I can get. I wouldn't bother even competing if I couldn't get it at least back to 500. I estimate that I'll be able to determine all of this within the next 3 or 4 months.

Managed to train legs AGAIN, today.

Leg Press:

4pps x10/6pps x8/8pps x5/9pps x5/ 10pps x5

Squats:

135x3/135x5/225x3/245x2/265x2

*I was happy with this. I think it's just lack of doing squats that are holding me back a bit. Legs were a bit fatigued from leg pressing, and it took about 15 minutes to warmup my shoulders/wrists enough to get the bar where I wanted it. Depth was suspect the first set or two, but with 225 is was all the way down. I'm guessing 135 isn't heavy enough with my lack of flexibility to get me down, so no biggy. Everything felt fine, I just felt lazy and didn't want to keep going up. I'll continue to keep rep range a bit low, and push the numbers each week till I"m back to mid/high 300s, then maybe start repping more.

Leg Extensions:

240x6/240x6/240x6

Lying Hamstring Curls:

105x8/120x8/120x8

Finished with a farily intense 10 minute eliptical session, then stretched for about 9 seconds and that was it.

TTT
10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Nice work. Good luck with the deadlifts/competing.
Damn, you do some high-rep benching :)

ElPietro
10-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks TTT, the high rep stuff is just burnouts, well the 225 set is more just to keep myself adapted somewhat to BB bench while I'm focused on DB bench.

Well, I suffered from a severe case of "wobbly legs" all week, so I kept stalling on going in for a lat/lowerback/deadlift session. Made it in today, but decided to pass on deads until my legs are fully recovered.

Decided not to go too heavy on the lats today.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/210x8/240x6/240x6

Front Row Machine: (one arm at a time)

200x8/200x8/230x8

DB Concentration Curls:

45x6/45x6/45x6/35x8/35x8

Cable Crunches: (on heavy pulley)

115x8/115x8/125x8

Lower Back Extension Machine:

Can't remember, did 2 or 3 sets to get a bit of lower back work in.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x5/365x5/415x5/315x8

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8

Hanging Straight Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

DB Shrugs:

95x8/95x8

Finished with a quick 10 minutes on the eliptical.

McBain
10-16-2005, 07:23 AM

thats great Elp but what i really want to know is did you ever get those mirrors on the wall for your home gym?

ElPietro
10-23-2005, 06:37 PM
McBain, dude, where have you been? Anyway, no I didn't get the mirrors. I bought all my equipment, and thenn sold it at a big loss months later because I decided to sell the house.

Anyway, didn't post at all this week, but recorded things, so I'll post monday's chest stuff, tuesday or whenever's lat stuff, and then this evenings leg stuff.

Chest stuff:

Incline DB Bench:

55x12/75x6/95x5/120x7/120x4/95x6

DB Flyes:

45x8/55x6

Dips:

2 sets of 8

Standing BB Millies:

135x5/135x5

*Shoulders were exhausted from inclines.

Triceps Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8/225x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x8

Overhead DB Ext.

75x8/85x8

Flat BB Bench:

135x20

Finished with some eliptical.

Lunchtime Lats:

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/210x6/270x5/210x6

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Chins:

2 sets of 5

Low Row Machine:

200x8/200x8

Rear Delt Cable Raise:

45x8

DB Conc. Curls:

55x5/45x6/45x5

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x6

Think I did some eliptical that day too.

Tonights Leg session:

Started with 4 whopping minutes on the eliptical to warmup since the racks were occupied.

Squats:

135x3/135x3/225x3/225x3/275x2 or 3/315x2/335x1

*Was very happy with this. Was gonna go on, but since I'm just starting back on squats, I'll go slow. Depth was good.

Sumo Deads:

135x5/225x5/275x3/325x3

**Kept this short, won't risk ****ing up my back again. Gonna slowly progress, and see if I can actually deadlift or not. Another couple months and I'll decide whether or not I'll ever enter another comp.

Cable Crunches (on heavy pulley):

105x12/120x8/120x8/120x8

DB Sidebends:

45x10/50x8/50x8

Straight Leg Raise:

2 sets of 8

Lying Hamstring Curls:

105x12/120x8/120x8/105x8

Finished with 10 more minutes on the eliptical.

Felt good to be squatting and deadlifting again. Will probably mix in leg press every now and then for quads, but the focus is to raise the two lifts I've neglected for the past 6 months.

bill
10-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Good to see you posting, get the back in shape.

ElPietro
10-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Bill, trying.

Well, was sick this week, so no gym for me. Finally got in today for a very short bench session. Felt weak and had no drive to workout.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/245x5/265x5/285x2

*Everything felt tough, although, I guess it's understandable since I haven't done flat bench really for a couple months. Coming back to it from DB Inclines, so today was more of a wakeup call telling my body that I'll be benching again.

Dips:

2 sets of 8

Tri Pushdowns:

210x8/225x6/225x6

Atlantis Shoulder Press

180x8

*Felt weak, and my right shoulder bugged me a bit so I decided to quit.

Went upstairs to do cardio, but lost my desire when I got to the top of the stairs. Went in to do a bit of stretching and got bored after 20 seconds.

Decided to call it a day. No shower required as I hadn't broken a sweat.

Oh well, i'll get back to the gym tomorrow, I might just mash together a lat and leg session so i don't bother going on football day.

Relentless
10-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I might just mash together a lat and leg session so i don't bother going on football day.

Watching or playing? I thought you gave up on football?

ElPietro
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Watching, not playing. Although, half of my one team is on bye this week.

Anthony
10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Wow. You've actually posted workouts. Although, I'm sure they are probably cut&paste jobs from when you actually used to train. You and Daniel should hang out. :p

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah, yeah whatever shortness.

Worked out on saturday, I'll post it later, but it was quite frustrating. I was doing bb shrugs, and worked up to 455. After that dropped it down to 315 for one last set and was doing them kinda quick when I felt a flash of pain in the middle of my back. So not lower back, but this muscle right around the lower/inner part of the shoulder blade, that's been tight for almost a year, and given me grief before.

I've tweaked things tons of times doing shrugs, but I got the whole darkened vision for a second and feeling sick that usually comes with a significant injury. It doesn't feel too bad now though, so was just holding off doing deadlifts for a bit, but I might try tomorrow. Meant to go for a bench session last night but got a last minute call to go watch the Leafs play so missed my workout.

Man, sometimes I wonder if all this workout bs is even worth it...

Anthony
11-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury, bro. I was going to say something smart, like how you're old and crippled, but injuries do suck. Hope you heal soon.

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I am just going to pretend it's not there and see if it has an impact.

I'll find out when I try deadlifts soon enough, but since I'm still limited by my lower back injury, I might not be pulling enough weight to aggravate the mid-back injury. :p

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
I was going to say something smart,

Ha! Now that would be an exercise in futility!

Pup
11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Ha! Now that would be an exercise in futility!

Technically...the true exercise in futility would be you actually exercising.

;)

Anthony
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Ppppppppwnage.

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Ha! It must shame you both to be smaller and weaker, with me not exercising and relying solely on Taco Bell!

:evillaugh

Anthony
11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I would have quoted one of your recent workouts to refute your claim, but it's so far back in your journal that I lost interest in hunting it down.

Pup
11-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Ha! It must shame you both to be smaller and weaker, with me not exercising and relying solely on Taco Bell!

:evillaugh

Perhaps you should actually view my workouts and not just peruse my journal for the witty banter.

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Anthony, when I train, I train for one reason, and one reason alone, that's performance.

With Xience NOX CG-3, I feel the pump for hours.

As for lifts, ha, I just look at your sig and see things that I've done on a regular basis in the past so pfft.

But I'm sure you'll eventually pass me if you stay injury free. I doubt you'd be without a ton of injuries as well, if they hadn't outlawed midget tossing in local taverns!

Anthony
11-01-2005, 12:38 PM
LMFAO! Nice one chuckie!

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Rob, I look at your workouts when I can, but haven't kept up with anyone in a long time so dunno what your maxes have been lately.

I know my maxes haven't changed at all other than bench.

So...

Bench 355 :cool:, Squat 435, Deadlift 547.5

If one day I actually could focus on diet long enough I think I could start things moving again, but I doubt it now with the lower back. Maybe squats, but I'd be happy just to get back to 5 plates on deads. Maybe I will just bench and curl from now on and post on penis forums. :cool::cool:

Anthony
11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Those are good lifts for an old fart, Petie. I've had a few injuries, too. Pinched nerve (which caused a bunch of other problems), torn hip flexor, pulled lat/delt, sprained foot, etc, etc. My squat has sucked for so long that 405+ seems so far away it's not funny. I think squatting 3x a week has really helped my transverse abdominal injury though, as the weight is starting to feel more stable on my back. Bench suffered when I cut weight and the pulled lat/delt didn't help, but seems to be coming back ever so slowly. Deads feel okay, didn't lose much on those with the cut and I know I'll be good for more once I start bulking again. Oh well, **** happens.

It almost sounds like you're giving up??

ElPietro
11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Well giving up on competing I haven't decided yet. It all depends on my back and my deadlifts. I'm sure I can get my squat at least back to where it was, my bench is higher than it ever was before, so I'll see. I won't give up strength training though, although, now I still would like to get back to either thai boxing or BJJ or both. Of course time is at a premium so trying to figure out a schedule. If I go back to MMA then weight training might suffer a bit.

Anthony
11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I think BJJ/MT would be an acceptable switch from powerlifting. Do it up!

ElPietro
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Ok, here is my saturday back session.

Low Row:

140x8/200x8/200x8

180x8/210x6/270x5

Chins:

2 sets of 5

BB Rows:

135x8/185x5

*Felt a bit of stress on the lower back, and probably didn't need to go up to 185 first time back, but whatever.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x5/405x5/455x5/315x6

**Hurt my back on the last set.

DB CCs:

50x5/50x5/50x5/50x5

DB HCs:

40x8/40x6

That was it.

ElPietro
11-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Last nights bench session.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/275x3/315x1/335x1/355x1/315x1/225x8

*SWEET! Another ten pounds added to my max, 2nd week back to flat bench. The switch to incline DBs has done the trick! *goes to edit above post with max lifts listed* :cool: :cool:

DB Flyes:

45x8/55x6/55x6

Dips:

2 sets of 8

135x5/135x5/135x5

SkullCrushers:

110x8/110x8

Atl. Shoulder Press:

195x5/210x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8/225x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x6/35x6/35x6

DB Front Raise:

30x6/30x6

That was it. Strutted out.

Relentless
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Nice work Pete. Good to see that bench getting up there.

Mine will be stalled again for some time (damn shoulder...)

Anthony
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Congrats Frenchie!

Anthony
11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Mine will be stalled again for some time (damn shoulder...)

Do you have to resort to swearing to get your point across? :p

Relentless
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Do you have to resort to swearing to get your point across? :p

It was clearly an expression of impotence. I am helpless to advance my bench in the face of my injury.

ElPietro
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Please curb your profanity in my journal you ****tards! :D

ElPietro
11-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh and thanks, I was pretty pleased. Only 2nd time back on flat bench, so maybe I will try one more PR before something else, or I might just rep for a while.

335 went up fast so that was the only reason I stood there with the 10 lbs plates in my hands debating going for it.

Funniest thing when I max though, is that no matter how focused I am, I am always keeping an eye on the spotter to make sure he never touches the bar at all.

bill
11-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Well that bites you got 355! Yeah I'm jealous!

ericg
11-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Nice work with the bench Pete. Only your second week back and you hit a PR, I want some of your kool aid.

Chubrock
11-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Petey man, I just saw that you might be considering going to BJJ or Muay Thai or both. Have you taken before? Judging from your comments in other threads and journals, it seems like you have a bit of grappling knowledge. What did you take in the past?

ElPietro
11-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Chub, I took BJJ for a short while, maybe 8 months, but studied it much longer. Also, where I trained BJJ it was filled with some of the top guys in all of Canada, and some world class grapplers that either were from brazil or frequented brazil to enter and win competitions there. Many were fighters in Canada's equivalent of the UFC, and others were prepping for the UFC etc.

Thai boxing I was on and off for about 2 years or so. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Bill thanks mang! Good to see you alive and kicking!

Eric, come to columbus and I'll take you to the candy shop. :cool: Actually, when I get to columbus I'm gonna start feeling really small very fast so maybe not. :(

I swear I've never been more tempted to consider doing a cycle then when I was there.

Chubrock
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey Pete man. I got a question for you. My instructor and I are really looking to turn his studio into one of the top training facilities in North Carolina. We may be looking at buying a much bigger location so space isn't really a problem in this hypothetical question. I figured I'd ask both you and Anthony, as ya'll have had experience in some good MMA atmospheres. What in your opinion would you say would be vital in having a top training facility (ie equipment, showers, ring, etc etc)? I realize that having a good instructor/instructors can make or break a place, but as far as physical attributes, what would be vital, in your opinion to have a top of the line training area. Also, would you pay higher monthly dues, if the training facility had a weight room, not a bunch of machines, but some power/squat racks, deadlift area, and maybe rubber weights for some Oly lifts?

ElPietro
11-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey Pete man. I got a question for you. My instructor and I are really looking to turn his studio into one of the top training facilities in North Carolina. We may be looking at buying a much bigger location so space isn't really a problem in this hypothetical question. I figured I'd ask both you and Anthony, as ya'll have had experience in some good MMA atmospheres. What in your opinion would you say would be vital in having a top training facility (ie equipment, showers, ring, etc etc)? I realize that having a good instructor/instructors can make or break a place, but as far as physical attributes, what would be vital, in your opinion to have a top of the line training area. Also, would you pay higher monthly dues, if the training facility had a weight room, not a bunch of machines, but some power/squat racks, deadlift area, and maybe rubber weights for some Oly lifts?

First thing I'll address is the weight room, since the muay thai club I was at had a small one. The answer "for me" is no, i would not pay more. Did I use the equipment? Seldom, but sometimes I did. But I think most people that weight train would already have a membership somewhere. I don't think many people would pay more unless it was nearly fully functional. I'd just invest in a few cardio pieces, like a couple bikes, and maybe a treadmill or two.

For BJJ, nothing is more important than mat space. The more mats the better. I used to hate rolling with a guy and always having to reposition because we were bumping into other grapplers.

For thai boxing, a ring is nice. It's funny you mentioned the weight room and ring, since the place I trained at had both. The ring was great. Sparring would never feel like sparring without the ring there. Also, a variety of heavy bags is good. A good number of thai heavy bags, a speed back, something you can work knees uppercuts on, then some more traditional lighter boxing bags. Thai bags are a must, they are usually 6 or 7' tall and quite heavy. Need it like that so you can work low kicks, and are generally a bit thinner than boxing bags, which allows you to work on your clinch and side knees etc.

So I'd say make sure you have a bit of cardio equipment, and if you wanted a weight area, either go all out, or keep it limited, maybe just a power rack and an adjustable bench, with some dumbells on the side.

Most that use it would use it for convenience only. I'm guessing that if folks don't go to a gym, they either can't afford it, or aren't really interested in it. Which means they probably wouldn't be signing up for muay thai anyway. But if it's there some use will be had from it, and can add perceived value to your club.

Other than that, a good variety of classes, like cardio kickboxing for the chicks, and something more hardcore for the guys and girls that are interested in thai boxing, and not just fitness. If you can get one or two reputable fighters to join that would help tremendously. My suggestion would be to find some competitors that live in your area, and give them free memberships to train there, and maybe even pay them or if they are willing to do it for free even better, lead classes maybe once in a while.

Because of all the kungfu karate BS in the past, most people are very sensitive to making sure they are going to a "legit" school.

Oh, and showers/lockers are of course a must, both male and female.

ElPietro
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Here is yesterday's workout. I wasn't sure what I was gonna do when I got to the gym, was either legs or pull session to test the back, I ended up going with the pull session. Still didn't do too much.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/210x8

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Sumo Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/225x5/275x3/275x3/225x5

*Meh, I didn't push things, since I'm still not deadlifting heavy, and just wanted to see if I actually could deadlift with whatever happened to my mid back. I only felt weak off the floor, so didn't go heavier. I might just keep things light and deadlift a couple times per week for now.

Did some other curls and crap like that, then finished with 10 minutes on the eliptical and that was it.

MixmasterNash
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM

Allow me to butt in on what is none of my business.

Where in NC?

There is a new Crossfit-affiliate/BJJ gym (http://www.crossfitnc.com/) opening in Raleigh right now. I think most of the Crossfit gyms are mixed fitness/MMA. It's a good idea from a business perspective since there are a lot of efficiencies to be gained by combining fitness and MMA. I can't really speak to what a good MMA place will have, but for xfit style fitness work, all you need is some open floor and olympic weights, some plyo boxes, and a chinup bar.

Look at the "fight gone bad" and some other complex WODs to get an idea of what equipment and space you might need:
1. Wall-ball 20 pound ball, 8 ft target. (Reps)
2. Deadlift high-pull 75 pounds (Reps)
3. Box Jump 20 box (Reps)
4. Push-press 75 pounds (Reps)
5. Row calories (Calories)

Chubrock
11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Mix we'll probably be looking at starting a training facility about an hour southeast of Fayetteville. Right now we're looking at opening some afterschool stuff in order to build up a large kids program before looking to open the facility.

Thanks Pete btw. I'm sure it'll be awhile before we look to start making specific decisions, but I figured I'd start looking at stuff now.

ElPietro
11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Bah, this is what happens, when I'm too lazy to post my workouts. Now I have several ****ers to type out at once. :mad:

Ok, I think the first workout, was from 2 saturdays ago, and then workouts from last week, and last night. Didn't make it in this past weekend.

Squats:

135x3/135x3/135x3/225x3/225x3/275x2/315x2/345x1/225x1

*If I recall correctly, I didn't feel all that good on squats. I think my legs were drained from something in the past, so performance was suckage. Add to that I'm still getting back to squats, I just held back from doing too much.

SLDL:

45x6/95x8/145x8/145x8

**Lol, if there is one exercise that scares me having torn my hammy a couple times, and currently rehabbing a bad lower back, it's this one. But I thought that if I go really light, this might be what helps me get my deadlift going again. I used all 25lb plates, so ROM was increased. Felt fine, I will progress slowly on this, and keep weight in higher rep ranges.

Leg Press:

360x8/540x6/720x5/810x3

***Meh, legs were tired from the other stuff.

Lying Hammy Curl:

105x8/120x8

Leg Extensions:

225x8/255x8

Cable Crunch:(on heavy pulley)

105x8/120x8/120x8/135x5

5 sets of 8

DB Side Bends:

55x8/65x8

I believe I was sore for a week after this workout.

Chubrock
11-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Alright Petey, no excuses. Gotta get back to posting man. I mean damn, how else ya gonna get 15,000 posts?

ElPietro
11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Bench stuff.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x10/225x8/275x3/315x1/365xfail/315x3/225x10

*Bleh, I needed fingertip assistance on 365. Close but no cigar. No spotter on the sets of 315, so not necessarily to failure.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/55x6/65x5

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

180x8/210x5/225x5

Tri Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8/225x8

Dips:

x6/x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/40x6

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x8

DB Overhead Extensions:

85x8/95x8

I believe I did 10 minutes on the elliptical, and then 15 minutes on the treadmill, ~2.7-3.0 mph on 8.0 slope.

ElPietro
11-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Back session, sometime last week.

Low Row Machine:

130x8/160x8/200x8

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

210x6/240x5/255x5

BB Shrug:

135x10/135x8/225x8/315x5

*Just kept it short and light, so I didn't aggravate that muscle again.

DB Conc. Curls:

55x5/55x5/40x8/40x6

DB Hammer Curls:

40x6/40x6/40x6/40x6/40x6

Cable Cruch: (reg. pulley)

195x8/225x8/225x8

2 sets of 8

Finished with some elliptical probably.

ElPietro
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok, missed legs on the weekend, but was tired since it was monday last night, so did my regular bench routine.

I was surprised I had anything in the tank. Total consumption prior to workout at 6:30pm had been 3 coffees, a cup of ramen noodles, and a vendor sausage.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x10/225x8/275x3/315x4/315x2/315x3/225x8/225x8

*Ok, since I failed 365 last week, I decided just to rep some stuff out. Second set of 315 was only 2 reps because I didn't bother with a spotter.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/65x5/50x6

Dips:

2 sets of 8

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

195x5/210x5

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/40x6

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x6

Skull Crushers:

110x8/110x8

Tri Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8/225x8/225x6/225x6

Upright Rows:

60x8/80x8

bschatz88
11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Nice benching dude, thats a lotta volume

getfit
11-15-2005, 09:29 AM
haha, i sldl more then you :p 155 for me just a few weeks ago :p

ElPietro
11-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Shut up or I'll kick you in your vagina! :mad:

Bschatz, yeah, I will vary things for chest based on how my flat bench goes. I went a month or so on DB inclines with little or no flat benching, and then went back to flat, and had a PR, and then just barely failed a 2nd PR. So now I will back off the max lift and go another route for a couple weeks and then maybe go try another PR. I think I would have had 365 if my diet was in order the past week.

Chubrock
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM
LMAO!! Damn Petey, feeling a little tender about the SLDLs....

ElPietro
11-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Ok, going from memory, journal is at home so will check later for accuracy.

Anyway, last week I made it in for a lat session, which I had no energy whatsoever for. It was pretty pathetic, tried some new things, and gave up early. Mentioning it at all is giving it more credit than it's due.

Saturday, I went in for a decent leg session.

Leg Press:

8p x12/12p x8/16p x6/18p x5/18p x5/18p x5

*Felt weird, anytime my leg came remotely close to straight, they started shaking uncontrollably.

Squats:

135x3/135x6/135x6/225x5/225x5

**I'll double check to make sure this is what I did. I felt like form was way off at first, but then I got it back on track. I guess it's just hard to hit depth with only 135 on the bar and still not warmed up. Just did some reps, need to keep squatting, but not going to push it, and slowly build up some rep work.

SLDL:

135x8/135x8/185x5/185x5/185x5

***Felt fine. Back was sore, but a good sore. Got to get my PC more work and hopefully get some strength back. Will continue to rep, and not go too heavy.

Leg Extensions:

225x8/240x8/255x8

****I think I might have done another set, will double check.

Lying Hamstring Curl:

120x8/135x6/120x8

Cable Crunch: (on light pulley)

195x12/225x10/225x10/225x10/225x10/225x10

2 or 3 sets of 8

DB Sidebends:

65x8/75x8 (maybe one more set, will dbl check)

Can't remember now if I did cardio, I am thinking not though. If I did, it wasn't much.

heathj
11-21-2005, 10:33 AM
how on earth on you leg pressing 18 plates per side? 1620 pounds!

btw cardio is the evil.

bschatz88
11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Nice workout bro, insane leg presses.

ElPietro
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Oh, lol ****, ok, it's total plates. Wrote it wrong. So for me it was a semi light leg press day, but my legs aren't anywhere near back to scratch.

Edited for your viewing pleasure.

ElPietro
11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Here is monday's bench session. Was planning to do lats today, but now have box tickets to the leaf game tonight, so debating going at lunch.

Flat Bench:

135x10/135x10/225x8/275x3/315x3/355x1/315x3/225x10

DB Flyes:

50x8/65x5/55x6

Dips:

x8/x8

*These aren't much of a challenge, sorta do them explosively now.

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

195x5/210x5/225x4

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/40x6

DB Front Raise:

30x8/30x6

SkullCrushers

110x8/110x8/110x8

Upright Row:

70x6/90x8/90x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

225x8/225x8

Finished with a fairly intense 15 minutes on the eliptical.

Anthony
11-23-2005, 08:59 AM
That's some sweet benching. And when I say sweet, I mean **** you.