PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ElPietro
06-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Heh, thanks heath those are actully pretty good suggestions. :) I think I can do well by upping my cals. My cutting should go fine as I think it will come more from burning added cals than restricting cals. The only problem was that I was burning way more cals and restricting and felt really burnt out last week. I'm just gonna focus a bit on eating cleaner, but not so much on restricting my cals too low. I was getting under 2k some days last week which is really low for my size.

Perhaps adding in a morning jog session will help. I really wish I lived in a house...then I could set up a heavy bag and just pound the crap out of it when I woke up for cardio. Maybe I'll alternate some jogging with shadow boxing...although I don't really have a mirror I can use for that either...

ElPietro
06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Went to grappling tonight. Take downs are going really well, I can pretty much hold my own there. On the ground I still pretty much suck. A professional UCC fighter came to train that night and was basically prepping for a tournament this month. He was sparring with one guy and then my instructor said why doesn't he try sparring with me. So I got to put on the NHB gloves and go at him for a while. It was really cool for the most part. Very intense cardio when you have to use all your arsenal such as punches, kicks and have to guard against takedowns, and when taken down have to defend or attack with the "ground and pound" techniques. I gassed out after a while but it was a great workout.

Tomorrow will be a pull session...although potentially a short one as I think I have to play baseball again. Normally it would be push but as I missed pull on thursday I'll make it up tomorrow.

ElPietro
06-05-2002, 08:14 PM
Went to BJJ tonight. Wednesday is Gi night so it's a bit easier on my body. Training went really well...I was able to defend and not tap against everyone except right at the end when a guy asked me to roll with him. He got me in an armbar, but then I made him tap twice after that. Although, the second time he was just gassed but I think I'm improving. :)

Tomorrow I think I'll go visit that place where all the people pick up the big steel things and then put them down again. I think it's called a gym but I'm not sure... :(

**Just adding this edit in: Baseball was on Tuesday. So didn't go to the gym as I would have been tight for time. But baseball ended up being a slugfest so I ended up being 7 for 7 which meant a whole lot of running for me. So I guess that was some exercise anyway.

ElPietro
06-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Well I think it's been about a week and a half since I've been to the gym. And about two weeks since a pull session.

Push:

HS High Rows:

160x8/250x3/300x4/250x7

*S'Ok.

Close-Grip Pull Downs:

200x6/220x6/240x4

**Thought I'd add some volume to my pull session. Haven't done these in a while.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

BB Shrugs:

225x8/405x5/315x8

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

40x8/40x8

Did a bit of forearm and grip work after. Basically did some wrist curls and reverse wrist curls and worked in some plate pinches using the 10lb plates smooth side out. Held them for quite a while but felt good.

Went for just under 15 minutes on the treadmill. My legs were hurting a bit from baseball, and they started to bother me after I started running for a bit. I think I might need to start skipping or running more regularly...now that I'm into grappling instead of thai boxing I don't do much jumping around or anything standing up...so this aspect of my body could be starting to lag.

I am abandoning a two day split. I think mentally I'm not into my workouts as much only going twice a week. For now I'll go back to my regular 3 day push/pull/legs split and I'll see how I feel. I am almost contemplating a 4 day split. :eek:

Felt good to be back in the gym. I thought my strength would be a bit less but it wasn't too bad. Although, I am sorta cutting I am going to try and renew my focus on weight training.

ElPietro
06-11-2002, 07:09 AM
Well I am now posting sunday's leg workout as this stupid site was down all weekend. :mad:

Legs:

Squats:

135x6/225x6/315x4

*I had planned on taking a month of squats but thought I'd just keep a single working set in there and not push it too hard. Also, I was focusing very much on doing them slowly with good depth.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

70x8/100x6/90x7

Leg Press:

8x360/630x6/630x5

**Wasn't unhappy with this. Considering I did these after squatting a bit and still did more than last time out, and I'm sure I coulda added an 8th plate on each side but didn't push it. I am still in the process of potentially re-working my entire leg day.

Sled Calf Raise:

Just did 3 sets of 15 with the 630 on the leg press. Wasn't particularly challenging. After loading 630 on the sled I wasn't about to unload it then load up the standing calf raise with even more weight only to have to unload it again.

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise thingy:

80x8/80x8

Hips:

3 sets of 8: Leg Raises
2 sets of 8: Hip Adductor
2 sets of 8: Hip Abductor

I guess that's it for that workout...trying to go by memory here. Feeling the DOMS today but not so bad.

Last night I went for jiu jitsu. Was a decent class. I am improving fast I think. People can still control me but have a very difficult time making me tap. I won't be going back there till friday as there are seminars and I decided not to pay for any. Today would normally be push day but I may just delay it until tomorrow, I have baseball tonight anyway. I'll just see how I feel after work.

ElPietro
06-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Went to baseball last night. Got rained on bad. Was still kinda fun.

Today I believe I will be trying a new routine. The two day push/pull split wasn't for me. Push/Pull/Legs I like but would also like to experiment a bit with a higher volume split. This is purely just to see how I react to it and will basically try it out for a month and see how it feels.

I have somewhat put together a routine but don't have time to type it out before lunch.

The split will basically be:

Chest/Back ~16 sets
Legs ~ 26 sets
Shoulders/Arms/Traps/Grip ~ 30 sets

I'll post what I'm thinking of as a routine later today. But if anyone has any constructive advice I wouldn't mind hearing it beforehand. Generally, I'm looking at 3 exercises per muscle group consisting of 2 or 3 sets each.

Thanks for anything constructive anyone may happen to add. :)

Relentless
06-12-2002, 09:36 AM
If you're going to go to volume, I'd split things up a bit more.

Maybe:
1- Chest/Tri
2- Back/Bi
3- Legs
4- Shoulders/Traps/Grip

I would also continue to include 1 heavy set, so you don't lose the heavy aspect, but rather simply add in extra volume sets. I find this works really well for legs sometimes. I'm doing heavy only right now, but one of my favourite legs tricks was to do massive burn sets of leg extensions as the final exercise for quads... we're talking 25+ reps with medium weight, a real challenge....

A quads workout with some volume in it that I used at one point:
1) Squats - 4 sets (reps: 10, 6, 4, 20)
2) Leg Press - 3 sets (reps: 6, 4, 25)
3) Leg extensions - 4 sets (reps 6, 6, 6, 12) holding contraction at top of motion for 2-5 count
4) Leg press - 2 sets (reps: 50)
5) Die

ElPietro
06-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Actually, part of my reasoning on high volume is more to get added work in on parts of the body where going heavy may not make sense. So, ie. smaller musclegroups such as the shoulders and arms that are hit when doing chest and back. I am thinking that while chest and back are larger muscles and may take significantly longer to recover versus arms and shoulders, it would be of benefit to have them on a seperate day. Thus they are indirectly hit with the compounds on one day then after a couple days of recovery are hit through isolations, while chest and back are still somewhat in a state of recovery.

Also, high volume just means a few more exercises and a few more sets. I will still work primarily in the 6-10 rep range but on compounds will still use one set as a low rep for strength focus. I don't see myself every really doing sets of 25 to be honest with you. Thanks for the points though, I'll throw up the routine in a bit so you guys can have a look and point out any flaws. :)

Oh, and lastly I don't know if I want to move to a 4 day split or not. If I do I may move my workouts to the mornings instead. I'm still trying to settle into a routine...it's a bit more difficult when I also train martial arts 3 or 4 times a week and also have baseball on one night, and would like to have an actual day of rest.

ElPietro
06-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Ok here's the routine I said I'd post. I will probably end up tinkering with it a bit as I find I can't do certain things at my gym or I don't like certain exercises.

Chest/Back:

Chest:
BB Bench (2 working sets)
Decline BB or DB Bench (2 sets)
Incline Machine Press (2 sets)
Pec Dec (2 sets)

Deadlifts (3 working sets)
Single Arm DB Rows (2 sets)
Close Grip Pulldowns (3 sets)

Legs:

Quads:
Squats (2 working sets)
Leg Press (3 sets)
Leg Extension (2 sets)

Hamstrings:
Lying Hamstring Curls (3 sets)
Hip Extensions (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBHipExtension.html) (3 sets)

Calves:
Leg Press Sled Calf Raise (3 sets)
Leg Press Sled Reverse Calf Raise (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/LV45ReverseCalfPress.html) (3 sets)
Lever Seated Calf Raise (2 sets)

Hips:

Leg Raise (2 sets)
Hip Adductor (2 sets)
Hip Abductor (2 sets)

Arms/Delts/Traps:

Deltoids:

Standing Military Press (3 working sets)
Upright BB Rows (2 sets)
Reverse Pec Dec (2 sets)
Side Laterals (2 sets) optional

Triceps:

SkullCrushers (2 sets)
Triceps Extensions (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBTriExt.html) (2 sets)
Push Downs (2 sets)

Biceps:

Standing Barbell Curls (3 sets)
Single Arm DB Preacher Curls (2 sets)
Hammer or Reverse Curls (2 sets)

Traps:

BB Shrugs (3 sets)
DB Shrugs ( 2 sets) optional

Forearm/Grip:

Wrist Curls (2 sets)
Reverse Wrist Curls (2 sets)
Plate Pinches (2-3 sets)

This is a big change in routine and I don't know how I will like it, but I feel like trying something new. Much of the arm stuff will be in the form of supersets. Again this is simply an experiment to see how I react to a higher volume routine. Compounds are still having plenty of time to recover while smaller muscle groups are being hit twice per week. Compound movements will still have a "strength focused" set while isolations will generally be in the 8 rep range.

I will try/tinker with this maybe for a month unless it feels like it's not doing me any good. But I'll at least give it all a chance.

ElPietro
06-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Ok, decided to start today with the new split. So today was Chest/Back. I went in a bit psyched up and thought I'd return to a bit more strength focus. Last few weeks or so I haven't been lifting with much enthusiasm.

Chest:

BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/255x6/225x8

*Was quite happy with this. It's been a while since I tried to go a bit heavy on bench. I think I should be able to get back to where I was faster than I thought. I believe I maxed out at 285x3 previously. I asked a guy to spot me but he didn't have to touch the bar for those two working sets. :)

Decline Bench Press:

135x8/205x6

**I have never had decline in a routine before. This was basically me trying to learn proper form. I think I need to work on it a bit more. Found it a bit tough to isolate the pecs versus using mainly triceps. Weight wasn't a problem but thought I'd maybe check some more info on proper technique first before I added more weight.

Incline Machine Bench Press:

180x8/200x8

***Heh, both these sets were flying up. 200 represents the entire rack. I remember it not being as easy before. So perhaps strength hasn't gone down all that much. :)

I decided not to include pec dec. I'm may add it in the future but I felt a bit of uneasiness in my shoulder at the time. Along with my elbow starting to bother me a bit.

Back:

Deadlifts:

135x8/225x3/315x6/315x5

*Ok I haven't done deadlifts in about 10 years so today was just trying to get the form correct. The set of 135 was just really slow to get used to the motion. The 3 reps at 225 were with a guy watching me to check for errors in form. The other sets were at a moderate effort. All reps were from off the floor. So basically I'd pick it up and put it down. Also, I did them with an overhand grip as I didn't think grip would be an issue. On the last rep of the last set grip was the reason. None of those sets were to failure.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

CG PullDowns:

240x5/220x5

Well I really enjoyed this workout. I did chest and back as separate units but I may alternate doing chest and back exercises so they are staggered. It seems like I should be able to get back to some respectable weight faster than I thought. I won't rush deadlifts though. I know it will be hard for me not to keep throwing on more plates each time out but I better get used to em first. 3 plates a side seemed fine so I will maybe increase a bit next week but I'd rather let my body adjust to the new training a bit more first.

Nothing is written in stone at this point.

ElPietro
06-17-2002, 07:53 PM
BJJ today. Did well during all the drills but had a mediocre rolling session. One guy had me in an armlock and asked if I wanted him to apply it, to which I said no, as my elbows have been bothering me enough lately. Unfortunately, somehow mistakenly thought I had said "yes" and cranked it real good, causing a nice pain to shoot through my elbow and tricep. I'm sure it'll feel good and f*cked up tomorrow. :mad:

Weightlifting is a bit out of sync right now. Tomorrow I think I'll go for a quick session of my arms/delts/traps day before baseball at 7pm. Wednesday is BJJ with Gi and Thursday will be leg day.

ElPietro
06-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Did the delt/arm/trap routine today. Was in quite a rush as I only had about an hour or so to get as much in before I had to leave for baseball.

Shoulders:

Standing Military Press:

115x8/135x5

Olympic Bar Vertical Rows:

115x8/135x8

Rear Delt Flies:

2 sets of 8 of the rack. I think this machine went to 140 or something like that.

DB Lateral Raise:

6x35/6x30

Arms:

Standing BB Curls:

3x115/8x95

*I think I've done these once before in my entire life. Wasn't sure what I'd be able to do. Tried to keep everything strict but I need to figure out a better hand placement as everything felt mighty akward on the forearms. But whatever, we'll see how things progress.

Triceps Pushdowns: (On Lat Pulldown Pulley

85x8/85x8

**The cable felt like it wasn't running smoothly but whatever. Generally on the regular pulleys the rack isn't too tough so it's good to be struggling again on these. Why one rack that says 155 is much easier than another rack that says 85 is beyond me but whatever.

40x8/40x8

Supersetted with:

DB Triceps Extension:

8x60/8x70

--I was starting to get close on time so I rushed over to do some shrugs quickly.

BB Shrugs:

225x8/405x5/315x8

Did a quick set of reverse curls on the way out. 8 reps of 85lbs on the pulley.

Felt pretty good afterwards and we won our baseball game. I managed to buy a shake after the workout, but felt pretty drained early into the game. We went out for beer and wings afterwards and now I'm home. :)

I'm using this day as more of an experiment day and it is somewhat optional. I won't include this day in a week where it may be close enough to impair chest/back day.

MonStar
06-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Olympic Bar Vertical Rows:

115x8/135x8

Standing BB Curls:

3x115/8x95

DB Triceps Extension:

8x60/8x70

Few questions EP, first of all what are vertical rows? Upright rows? If they are awesome strength. :thumbup::thumbup:

Standing BB curls - awesome f*cking strength man. And a quick question about your superset. DB triceps ext. are you doing them with one-arm or two arms?

MS

ElPietro
06-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Few questions EP, first of all what are vertical rows? Upright rows? If they are awesome strength. :thumbup::thumbup:

Standing BB curls - awesome f*cking strength man. And a quick question about your superset. DB triceps ext. are you doing them with one-arm or two arms?

MS

Vertical rows are upright rows. So basically gripping an olympic bar with hands on the smooth part and raising until hands are shoulder height.

DB Triceps extensions are with two hands (there's a link to the exercise a few posts up)...so basically holding the db overhead and bending at the elbow to behind the neck and back up. This didn't feel to stressful but I was far from the rack and already went and replaced the 60lber for a 70lber.

As far as standing BB curls I was gonna snoop through ppls journals to see how this was. I honestly have never done these before and found them really tough. I just need to experiment on grip as I was getting quite a bit of stress on the forearms.

Thanks for the comments though...hopefully I answered yer questions. :)

MonStar
06-19-2002, 11:44 AM
DB Triceps extensions are with two hands (there's a link to the exercise a few posts up)...so basically holding the db overhead and bending at the elbow to behind the neck and back up. This didn't feel to stressful but I was far from the rack and already went and replaced the 60lber for a 70lber.

That is completely f*cking amazing. Youre telling me that you did a 70 lbs. DB with one-arm behind your head? :eek::eek:

MS

ElPietro
06-19-2002, 11:50 AM

That is completely f*cking amazing. Youre telling me that you did a 70 lbs. DB with one-arm behind your head? :eek::eek:

MS

Uh...no with TWO (2) hands. As in my quote and in the illustration from the website I linked it to. Haha..one hand I think that would rip most peoples arm out of it's socket.

MonStar
06-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Oh haha my fault bro.

I was like what the hell!? Haha I saw a Flex magazine with that one big mofo I forget his name now. Biggest triceps I ever seen, Ernie Taylor I think his name was. He was doing a 70 lbs. DB with one arm and thats the most I have ever seen someone do.

MS

ElPietro
06-21-2002, 05:26 PM
Well after two days of inactivity, other than 9 holes of golf at 6:30am on thursday, and shitty eating habits I managed to drag my ass to the gym for leg day. :)

Legs:

BB Squats:

135x6/225x2/335x4/315x5

*Well I guess I will continue to squat. I was going to leave them out for a month but I see I cannot abandon them completely. None of this was too close to failure and 315 felt really light after 335.

Lying Leg Curls:

70x10/100x6/90x6

**Bit disappointed with this, but felt some grumbling from my hammy so didn't push it any further.

45 Degree Leg Press:

680x6/540x8/540x8

Calf Raise on Leg Press:

680/540/540 w/pause at peak

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise

80x8/70x8

Hip Extension:

bwx8/bw+35x8

***I think this was similar to what I was trying to include in my program above. I didn't feel too stressed from these so not sure how much effort I placed on hips or hammy. The 35lb plate was just there from someone else so I just used it. Bit of effort from posterior chain. Basically it's like the reverse of a lying hamstring curl. My legs stay parallel to the ground while my upper body is about 90 degrees with my head pointing to the ground...and you basically lift your upperbody to parallel while holding some weight if you want.

Hips:

Leg Raises: 2 sets of 8
Hip Abdductor: 2 sets of 10
Hip Adductor: 2 sets of 10

Stretched things out for a couple minutes and that's all she wrote.

Bought a shake afterwards and had the guy throw in some creatine. I don't think I've had creatine in about a month or maybe more...I think I'll start taking it again...didn't stop for any particular reason...just got out of habit.

Tomorrow I plan on going in for either BJJ if ppl are there or I'll just punish the heavy bag. Sunday will either be a golf day or chest/back day. Hopefully I can actually follow through on my schedule. I haven't been sticking to things very well. Diet must be improved.

ElPietro
06-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Well this weekend was pretty crappy. DOMS from my friday leg day had me feeling completely drained for the majority of saturday. Diet was utter crap all weekend long. I'm lucky if I took in 200g of protein for the whole weekend. :mad:

Also, do to the DOMS I wasn't active at all. I thought about doing a chest/back session but my legs were blasted so I thought it would affect my deadlift. Tonight I will be going to BJJ no matter how I feel. Legs are feeling almost fully recovered but still a slight amount of stiffness.

My diet yet again is going to be a great focus. So far today has been good and I don't plan any lunchtime excursions to any fast food places.

Food Eaten:

Half a Pork Chop (leftover from sunday dinner)
Ziplock bag of celery and baby carrots
Isopure Protein shake w/water
30 almonds (yes I counted them)
1 medium chicken breast

Planned for the rest of the day:
1 Large chicken breast
Some strawberries
1 Sunrype fruit bar
1 soup & salad w/low cal dressing (light dinner before training)
1 labrada lean body mrp
250g 1% cottage cheese

If I can stick to this 100% then I will be at just under 2000 cals, with 259g of protein, 102g of carbs and 58g of fat. This is low, and I will have trouble getting all this into me with the timeframe I have left but should be able to manage. If I can get some more almonds into me I could add another 208cals with 8g of protein, 7g carbs and 18g of fat. This would be ideal as I would be closer to 2500 cals and have adequate fat intake. We shall see how things pan out.

ElPietro
06-25-2002, 07:07 AM
Had BJJ last night. It was really busy as it was open mat for anyone wanting to come. This was because our new instructor arrived, a black belt from brazil who'd been teaching in montreal. He's also currently the UCC light weight champ.

I ache today.

After work will be chest/back, and then I have baseball at 9pm.

I am pleased to say that I ate 100% of the food listed above, including the additional almonds. This is well under maintenance so we'll see if I can sort it out a bit more and stick with it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Good!

Stick with it, bitch!

ElPietro
06-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Today was chest/back day. It was hot, and I felt quite tired as I had gotten maybe 4.5 hours sleep last night...plus most of me was aching from BJJ the night before.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x2/265x6/225x8

*Well I generally use the 2nd warmup to judge how I feel. To be honest I felt tired and weak. I was maybe thinking of trying 275 today but I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to do any. So loaded 265 and pushed out 6 unassisted reps. I was really pleased with this. I was thinking I might get 3 or 4 before I required help but surpassed this. Next time I will go up to 275. Almost back to where I was before I let my strength fall off.

Decline BB Bench:

135x5/205x5

**Ok this motion still feels really odd. The set of 135 I cut short because it seemed too light for me to gauge where the ROM was supposed to be. The second one just felt really akward. I am not sure what I will do here. Either do some more studying on this or exchange it with something else.

BB Deadlifts: (all reps off the floor)

135x6/225x6/345x5/365x2

***Well I was quite happy with this for my second time out. Again my concern on injury is holding me back more than anything else. I am still just trying to let my body get used to the movement. Each rep is put down on the floor before I start the next, but in a slow controlled manner. Stance is probably a bit narrower than shoulder width apart. I'd say about 12 inches between my feet. 365 felt just like 345. I stopped because I realized that I could do the weight but didn't wanna push anything. I may increase reps somewhat just to make sure everything is smooth form wise.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Incline Machine Press:

200x8/200x8

****I may go to dbs soon. The first set could almost be considered explosive. The second set the last couple reps were tougher. I'm pleased as this is definitely a gain in strength since I added them back in.

Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns:

220x5/200x6

*****Kept form very strict...no leaning back, although I don't really consider a bit of leaning cheating...just wanted to see what difference it made.

Well that's it. I'm very pleased with this session. I thought with grappling last night, coupled with no sleep and being sore, along with the super heat I'd have a crappy session but it didn't turn out that way. :)

Time to hit the shower though...then baseball in 1.5 hours. I'm thinking that my posterior chain should tighten up just in time for my game to start...playing shortstop with a stiff back will probably make things interesting! :D

Savannah
06-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi El P!!!!!!!!!!!

I got something for you since you didn't show up monday:p

:fart:

Alex.V
06-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Bump up those DB rows, man. :)

ElPietro
06-26-2002, 07:14 AM
Haha...thanks anna for freshening up my journal. :D

Belial, I have been feeling guilty about those rows. I still need to buy straps as I'm guessing the ez-curl will be unstable without em. After doing deads my grip was kinda sucky too so straps may help in that aspect.

Well today I woke up and got to play my favourite game, "Name that Pain." There was even a bonus round of "Guess which training caused that ache." :(

We got killed in baseball last night...everyone played horribly. Our catcher overheard girls on the other team saying I was cute. :mad: Cute is lame. I need to print up some "Single & Horny" t-shirts! Oh well...we went to the bar afterwards and proceeded to drown our sorrows over the game. It happened to be my friends birthday so we got pretty sloshed. And now I'll let the heavy drinking portion of this journal entry lead me into my diet section... :(

My diet got a bit messed as I was dragged into going to lunch.

Food:

250g 1% Cottage Cheese
3/4 of PB&J Sammich on 12 grain
Protein Shake (isopure)
Strawberries
Lunch at Japanese place:
Beef Sashimi, Salad, steak, chicken, bean sprouts. Estimating ~800 cals to be on the safe side.
Labrada Lean Body MRP w/glycocarb +creatine (45 mins after workout)
3 chocolate chip cookies (shut up)
Alcohol: Don't have an accurate guage but I'm guessing maybe around 5 pints plus 4 or 5 shots. I am going to assume about 1200 cals just in booze...although i could be way off one way or the other.

This brings food cals to about 1720, with 195g of protein, 96g of carbs and 62 grams of fat. Adding in 1200cals of wasteful alcohol it brings me to just under 3k cals for the day.

Well I guess it could be worse. Other than the drinking I ate somewhat clean. The cookies were before I headed out for baseball so just wanted a bit of a boost...plus they were freshly made and left out...how could I not. :angel:

ElPietro
06-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Well yesterday sorta fell apart at the end of the day. Diet wasn't too bad and macro breakdown was looking good. But got dragged out for "coffee" after work. "Coffee" consisted of a small Fruizzi drink from Second Cup wich is basically fruit syrup, milk and ice, along with a piece of carrot cake with icing. So stayed there for a while and then was talked into going to the mall. I was tired and sore and wasn't looking forward to training anyway. So wandered around the mall till about 8:30pm. Got home and then opened up a bag of doritos. Fortunately, we bought the wrong ones and they were these airy puff-like things that were annoying to eat and really light so I don't think I had too many cals worth.

The good news is that today I only feel equally as sore as yesterday...maybe even a little less stiff. Played golf this morning...9 holes starting at 6:30am. Played like crap, but finished with a birdie so I left with a smile. Since I don't feel so sore today I'll just go to BJJ tonight, since it was scheduled to be rest. This is a long weekend and I'm going away so workout schedule will be a bit off.

I'm listing my diet as I think that typing this crap out may help me understand how bad I eat at times.

Yesterday:

250g of 1% cottage cheese
Roast Beef Sammich on Kaiser w/mustard (white bread :( )
1 Chicken Burrito Supreme
30 natural almonds
2 Plums
1 Protein Shake (Isopure)
Carrot Cake w/icing :mad:
Dorrito 3Ds :mad:
1 can of coke

If my diet finished as I had originally planned the carrot cake would have been a labrada mrp or a omellette with cheese and the doritos would have been more cottage cheese.

In the end macros were roughly as follows:

2500-2600 cals with 115g of protein, 250-275g of carbs, and about 75-80g of fat. As you can see protein suffered at the expense of carbs yesterday. :(

Oh well...total cals were still manageable.

I forgot to add that I had an unusual craving for a can of coke so had one. Added in above.

ElPietro
06-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Went to do a bit of training tonight. Didn't do anything very intense at all, or for any duration of time. Did a very minimal amount of skipping and warmup work then hit the heavy bag for about 15 minutes. Watched a bit of the BJJ class and then did a bit more sporadic bag work. Maybe 25 minutes in all. After class I rolled with a big guy for maybe 10-15 more minutes and picked up some knowledge. Worked up a decent bit of sweat and was still quite tiring as the guy was 250lbs.

Diet today is very crap. As in WAY LOW! Unless I have forgotten a meal I am currently sitting at about 1500 cals consumed today with only time for really one more meal, which I plan to use cottage cheese. That will bring me up to 1700 cals. Not good. Although, I'm sure I will consume over maintenance calories each day this weekend simply in beer and other alcoholic beverages. Food will consist of either chicken or steak on the barbecue for every meal, with good munchies such as chips and doritos in between, or if I'm really drunk I will walk down the beach and eat at some fast food place. In any instance this weekend will not be great for my diet.

EDIT: Ok it's 11:20pm now. Thought I'd update on diet. I have run out of cottage cheese! :mad:

So I needed to actually get domestic. Used about 5 egg whites, one whole egg, 5 strips of bacon chopped up, approximately 8 quite sizeable chunks of cheddar cheese, a dash of tabasco sauce, bit of salt, lotsa pepper and made myself a very nice omlette. Used some spicy ketchup lightly on top as my condiment of choice. That b!tch tasted kickass! :D So that final meal I am guestimating between 800-900 cals with 55-65g of fat, 50-60g of protein and maybe just under 10g of carbs. :p

I am now approximately at my caloric goal for the day. :)

Chris Rodgers
06-27-2002, 08:24 PM

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x2/265x6/225x8

BB Deadlifts: (all reps off the floor)

135x6/225x6/345x5/365x2

Good work foo! I better see you getting over your fear and yanking 4 plates soon!

ElPietro
06-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN

Good work foo! I better see you getting over your fear and yanking 4 plates soon!

Haha, thanks. I actually wanted to put 4 plates on...I just heard a little voice inside my head telling me to take my time since it's only the 2nd time pulling since I was a young buck in highschool! ;)

rookiebldr
06-28-2002, 03:35 PM
...I'm sure I will consume over maintenance calories each day this weekend simply in beer and other alcoholic beverages. Food will consist of either chicken or steak on the barbecue for every meal, with good munchies such as chips and doritos in between, or if I'm really drunk I will walk down the beach and eat at some fast food place. In any instance this weekend will not be great for my diet.

Sounds like f*ckng great weekend to me.

p.s. nice lifting. :thumbup:

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 01:51 AM
C'mon El Flame-O.....screw the diet, get to work Decepticon!!

ElPietro
07-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

Sounds like f*ckng great weekend to me.

p.s. nice lifting. :thumbup:

Yes it was, and thanks for the compliment. :)

Matt who is this El Flame-O you speak of? :angel:

Ok, the weekend was lots of fun. Went to a friends cottage at Wasaga beach. Right on the beach but not on the main strip so avoided the mass of ginos and blaring subwoofers from all the rice boy cars out on display.

The weather was perfect the whole weekend and I'm slightly burnt. Just went into the water anytime I got too hot and played some frisbee, tossed football around, general beach lounging, etc.

We made up a vat of purple jesus as a communal drink...the vat was so big we just mixed everything with a boat oar. :D So just grab cup and scoop out drink. We'd just pour an additional bottle of vodka in every now and then and add some more mix. Not an exact science by any means.

Played some drinking games and shot off some fireworks. Although, one was lit about 1 foot away from me while I wasn't looking...so I had to take a face dive into the sand as I turned around to witness a hizzing orange flame about to fire off!

Drank quite a bit of beer as well as random shots. We made a very significant discovery, that kraft dinner can be used brilliantly as a condiment on hotdogs and hamburgers. :p

Well I came back and look a lot leaner, I'm guessing from being dehydrated etc, but I am starting to believe that my feeble attempt to cut is having a bit of an impact as clothes are looser and I went and bought a pair of shorts on friday that was a size I hadn't bought in a long time. So maybe one day I will "shed" the classification of fatass maximus, and actually look respectable. :)

It's supposed to be super hot and humid all this week, and I have our baseball playoffs tomorrow evening, so no other training will be done. I will sort the rest of the week out later.

Celestial
07-02-2002, 05:11 AM
Woohooo sounds like you had a really fun time:) Wish I had fun weekends like that hahaha:)

ElPietro
07-03-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Celestial
Woohooo sounds like you had a really fun time:) Wish I had fun weekends like that hahaha:)

Yeah it was. :) You live in florida, how can you not have weekends like that every weekend!

Anyway, last night was baseball. The stupid league didn't have a proper playoff format, so it was just 1st vs 2nd and 3rd vs 4th and that was it. We were bumped into 3rd by the last place team last game of the season because they just brought a bunch of ringers. We killed the 4th place team to win our game and that was it.

Went to the bar afterwards and proceeded to drink copius amounts of beer on the patio. It was very hot and humid last night as well, so I rolled into bed at about 1am last night dehydrated yet again...sure I wake up looking much leaner but I'm sure being dehydrated all the time isn't the answer to my cutting problems. :(

Anyway, diet was kinda messed, but could have been worse.

Food For Yesterday:

Labrada Lean Body MRP
250g of 1% cottage cheese
1 Taco Bell Chicken Burrito Supreme
Some mixed lunchmeat. This was a sandwich but didn't feel like the bread so just ate the meat.
2nd Cup Strawberry Fruizzi (Milk, Strawberry syrup and Ice)
So lunch was the 1 burrito and the fruizzi afterwards...I didn't eat again until the bar that night, unless I've forgotten something.
Dinner was a grilled chicken caesar wrap.

I've estimated some things but I'm guessing FOOD macro breakdown for yesterday was 1841 cals, with 163g of protein, 162g of carbs and 61g of fat. I am guessing I at least consumed 1000 cals in beer last night so if it was 1000 cals I'm ok...if it was way more than I would break 3k cals which isn't necessarily good. Oh well...

Tonight I will be going to BJJ and then back to the gym on thursday.

PowerManDL
07-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Right on the beach but not on the main strip so avoided the mass of ginos and blaring subwoofers from all the rice boy cars out on display.

What are you talking about? The rice boys make excellent ninja fodder.

ElPietro
07-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Yes but they travel in packs, and they are protected by their armoured rice-boy vehicles, aka, lowered civics, and can blare out a warning blast of bass when confronted, calling all rice boys to the seen. I would require a group of ninjas to face this challenge...I would hate to risk failure on my own and be forced to commit seppuku.

PowerManDL
07-03-2002, 02:44 PM
True.....then again, what bass can overcome the mighty war-cry of the ninja guitar wail? I imagine they'd flee at the mere sound.

ElPietro
07-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Did abouy 45 minutes of BJJ today, if that even. The guy I was with was pretty beat already as he had gone for an hour beforehand. It was 35 celsius today and with humidity felt like 43 so standing still makes you sweat. So adding having to wear a 5-6 lb Gi and actuall having to be fairly active made this pretty killer. I was drenched by the end.

I actually went to go play some tennis after class but there's fookin parks and rec strike on so none of the court lights were powered. :mad:

Tomorrow will be leg day regardless of how I feel. It will be almost 2 weeks since I've had a leg session and that's simply unacceptable.

Diet was pretty sh!tty today. I'll post that tomorrow...

Maki Riddington
07-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Your weak and useless, get your butt in gear!
:help:

PowerManDL
07-04-2002, 07:22 AM
I actually went to go play some tennis after class but there's fookin parks and rec strike on so none of the court lights were powered. :mad:

A real man would play in the dark.

With a ball that was painted black.

ElPietro
07-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions. :D

Well I probably feel asleep between 1-1:30am last night, and got up at 5:15am this morning to get ready for 6:30 golf. So I am thinking at best 4 hours sleep last night, and I was already sleep depraved from the previous night. I may start sleeping in the living room pullout couch since it's near an air conditioner. My bedroom air conditioner is out of coolant so need to get that fixed.

Golf was pretty good...popped a couple xen beforehand, was only 9 holes...still haven't eaten. :(

I will update yesterday's diet after today's workout. It's always fun to do leg day after 4 or less hours sleep while trying to cut in ultra hot and humid weather. Ok I think I've made up enough excuses beforehand to allow me to lift girly weights today. ;)

Tryska
07-04-2002, 08:11 AM
my storm's got booming bass.

PowerManDL
07-04-2002, 08:17 AM
You're so getting ninja-chopped.

ElPietro
07-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Managed to get in a pretty good leg session despite all the negative factors.

Legs:

Squats:

135x6/225x4/365x2.75/315x8

*Well I was very happy with this result. It took a bit before I went down for the third rep on 365. It was sorta a battle of will between the ElPietro under the weight and the ElPietro staring me down in the mirror. Eventually the mirror ElPietro won and the guy under the weight was forced to go down. :evillaugh I probably only just missed what I would consider adequate depth but rather not cheat myself, and also didn't want to have to unrack the weight to get the bar off the pins up into the rack to do my last set. One of the bigger guys complimented me on my squat. I even had put a garbage pail in front of the rack...just in case of emergency of course. The set of 8 of 315 afterwards I was really pleased with. I was hoping for 6 but 8 had my blood going when I racked the weight. :)

Lying Hammy Curls:

80x8/100x6

**Bleh.

45 Degree Leg Press:

720x4/630x6/540x8

***8 plates felt pretty damned heavy, and loading up all 16 is a b!tch. :mad: There should be a guy in every gym who stands by the leg press and just loads and unloads the weight for you.

Calf Raises: On Leg Press Above

2 sets of 10 of 630 and 540. I don't remember doing a third set so I won't count it.

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise:

80x6/70x8

****Calves felt fookin blasted on the first rep! :confused:

Hips:

2 sets of 8 of leg raises.
2 sets of 10 adductor.
2 sets of 10 abductor.

Stretched things out for a couple minutes and that's all she wrote. Overall I'm satisfied with everything. Squat and leg press weight will stay the same next time out. I want to get more reps in the first set before I up anything.

Diet today has been so so. Calorie wise I should be in my range, but some macro stuff will be off...but it's leg day...it's cheating if you don't cheat on leg day. :p

Tomorrow I may go in for my arm/delt/traps day. Feels good being back in the gym, legs hadn't been done in two weeks and it looks like gains were still there. :)

ElPietro
07-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Weekend Update: Training: None; Diet: Sh!t.

The End.

Alex.V
07-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Awesome.

Tryska
07-07-2002, 08:53 PM
ace. i don't feel like an underacheiver anymore.

ElPietro
07-08-2002, 06:33 AM
Excellent. I'm glad my failures have allowed you all to feel better about yourselves. :)

ElPietro
07-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Ok well I decided I was going to punish myself for not sticking to anything on the weekend. Man did I ever.

Chest/Back

BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x4/275x4/245x7+1

*Well I felt tired going in and that generally means that I will have a decent session. 275 flew up the first two reps...the last bit of the third rep and a good portion of the forth the spotter helped keep things on track but says he gave little if any assistance. On the last set I was aided a bit in the 7th rep and then heavily aided on the 8th. I will keep this weight here next week.

Deadlifts: (off floor)

135x3/225x3/315x3/365x2/405x1/315x1

**I was pretty pleased here. I coulda kept going but felt that getting that last rep in for Latty should shut him up till my next session. ;) Felt a tad heavy. The last rep of 315 was just me putting it on the pins so I could unrack. I will probably increase weight a little more slowly now. Maybe I'll go for 425 next time out. I would like to hit 500 relatively soon but I won't rush things or risk an injury. I've only just started these so no biggie.

Incline DB Press:

80x8/80x6

***Never done these before. The machine press is too light so I thought going DBs would be quick and easy. I had major difficulties kicking the DBs up to my chest. I guess I'll learn with time. I guess the weight was ok for my first time...

Single Arm EZ-CURL BAR Row!!!

145x8/165x(6 on right, 5 on left)

****Woot! Well just before I headed in I bought some straps. I started loading up the bar and was thinking how hardcore I was. People seemed to wonder wtf I was doing when loading it. Well the first set was very akward, on most reps I had to go all the way to the floor and adjust the grip and strap, I would get maybe 2 or 3 reps before I had to readjust again. I'm sure I'll get used to it abit. I didn't realize I was at 165 on the second set. I guess there was very little oxygen going to my brain and I failed to add the weight up. After the first rep many people were looking at me like I sprouted horns or something. One guy I gave a spot to earlier came over and asked me what I was doing and why I didn't just to BB rows. I just said I like single arm rows and he said he'd never seen anything like that before. Happy Alex? :) Oh and if you read this where do you position the bar? I had it between my outer leg and the bench, with my inner leg on the bench. Sometimes the top plate would bang the bench slightly...so not sure if there's a better way.

Well that was it for the gym. It was super hot out and I sweat like a pig. Partially because I had popped an ephedrine tab and a caffeine tab prior to going in. This was probably not wise with the heat and my intended regime for the day but whatever.

After leaving the gym I raced home to pick up my other gym bag and then raced to BJJ class. It was beginners Gi from 7-8pm. So this means you get to wear a 6lb uniform and wrestle with men in an unairconditioned room for an hour. Everyone was sweating buckets in the end but it wasn't a hard class, more focus on technique.

To further punish myself, I stayed for the advanced Gi class right after which was basically just 5 minute matches. Our psycho instructor made us do 8, 5 minute matches without any breaks in between. I would take the occaisional sip of water but that was about it. I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life. It was like an open faucet coming off my face. My gi was soaked as everyone else was. I think I nearly had a heart attack several times. In the end I survived, and people thought I was quite harcore for coming from the gym and going through back to back classes in the heat. :)

Diet today I haven't added up but I believe it was perfect. The only unplanned for thing was a gatorade at the end of BJJ but that was very necessary.

Tomorrow is just BJJ unless I feel injured in some way.

Excellent day and suitable punishment for lack of training and bad diet on the weekend. :p

IceRgrrl
07-09-2002, 05:53 AM
LOL! Nothing like going from one extreme to the other, eh? ;)

Now ride that momentum through the rest of the week...

ElPietro
07-09-2002, 07:08 AM
Heh, yes I need to keep my ass in gear. With your new training I need to make sure you can't kick my butt next time we meet. :D

Alex.V
07-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Glad to see you started 'em. Now don't you feel silly for sitting at 120 for so long when you were capable of hitting 165? :)

I actually have my right leg INSIDE the bar, (assuming I'm using my right arm), and I pull up the bar so that the 25's come within about an inch of my nose. The bar is at a slight angle, and you have to be VERY sure not to cheat. If you can do them strict, you're golden. Ask somebody to watch you.

How about a friendly little competition? First to hit bodyweight for 6 reps on these wins? :)

ElPietro
07-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Haha...I actually clunked myself in the head with the 25s on one rep. :D

As for competition I'm always up for it, but since you need to add only 20 more lbs to yours, and I need to add 80lbs to mine I think I can predict how this will end. :) I'll see how it goes...next time out I'll throw 185 on there and see if I puke. :p

We could always form the Single Arm DB Row w/Ez-Curl Bar of North America Club. :D

Alex.V
07-09-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey, you're just getting started on the motion. I'm sure they'll climb quickly, especially as your grip gets stronger and you get used to the balance. :) We could just say that the first to 225 wins.... but we could hold off starting until you've found your weight. Like I said, it's REALLY easy to start cheating on these... I could probably do 225 right now (as could you), with only a slight deterioration in form, but that would be, well, lame.

I'm working on converting another guy in the gym right now.... maybe if doc will start doing 'em too, we can start a trend. How bad ass would that be. :D

PowerManDL
07-09-2002, 12:02 PM
I'd do them but my gym has a plate-loaded dumbell that I can do them with. When/if I go back to Db rowing I'll have to start using it myself since my gym only goes to 150 lb Db's.

ElPietro
07-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Tonight went for BJJ class again. It was no gi tonight. I'll have some awesome looking bruises all along my biceps tomorrow. Sweat like a pig. Got my ass handed to me pretty much all class.

Tomorrow I think I'll try and get in a delt/arm/traps workout regardless of how I feel. If traps are burning I may just do a light recovery workout on them, but the rest should be pretty well recovered. I'll also end up going to BJJ again tomorrow for gi night. Hopefully it's not too hot. Not sure if I'll be able to make it for back to back classes or just the later advanced class. We'll see.

ElPietro
07-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Well I hate to admit it but my left hammy has been aching since yesterday. I am guessing that deadlifts are the result of this. I haven't retorn it or anything...but it is tender in the area of previous injury. I will perhaps see how if feels the next couple days and either drastically lower poundage on direct hamstring exercises on leg day, or also lower poundage on deads.

On a semi-positive note I decided to jump on the scale this morning and it told me I weighed 240 or maybe 241lbs. Although I'm happy about this, I don't think it's necessarily anything other than water weight from all the grappling I've been doing lately, in very humid conditions. Clothes are looser so something good is happening, despite the fact that my scale generally tells me I'm always the same weight. Maybe in the future I'll get a digital scale just so that I can get more precise measurements. Looking in the mirror I am not very satisfied with results to date. Consistency has been my failing so far...

ElPietro
07-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Went to BJJ class tonight. It was advanced gi. I stopped about 20 minutes from the end as my left elbow was bothering me a bit. I still suck but whatever.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day. I have a tee off time of 6:22am tomorrow before work for 9 holes of golf. Then work of course. Then I will be doing leg day. *cringe* After leg day I will be driving over to the club for no gi BJJ training. And then after class I might work with a guy on some technique. He's pretty cool, I am quite hard on myself and I guess I get discouraged when I don't become instantly one of the better people at anything I do. I guess going against guys with years of experience in something I've never done before should be excuse enough but I still think I should be progressing faster, despite what they say. I am going to try and focus a bit more on this training, which is evident as I've been to 4 classes in 3 days and will be going for my 5th tomorrow. Friday will be relaxing/drinking day. Saturday I have a golf tournament, so more drinking and barbecue type stuff. Sunday my baseball team is having an end of season barbecue so basically steaks and beer all day in the sun. :cool:

PowerManDL
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
You sound like a converted follower to the Way of the Beer.

ElPietro
07-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
You sound like a converted follower to the Way of the Beer.

Son I invented it. Stories of things I did in university are told to people I've never met, BY people I've never met. Although, I am a faded dinosaur now, rare to return to campus anymore...

rookiebldr
07-10-2002, 09:06 PM
F*ck, 6:22am for a golf game - before work? This burns me out just thinking about it. Where are you golfing?

p.s. I hear the smell might get better in TO soon. yea.

ElPietro
07-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Heh, it's just a small executive 9 hole course right by my work. I work by the DVP and Eglington area so in the east end sorta. Getting up early for golf doesn't seem to tire me, as golf is so ace. Although, I generally feel burnt out by 2 or 3pm. So all I have after that is another couple hours of work, leg day, and then martial arts after that in the heat. :)

Living in etobicoke the garbage strike hasn't had any effect. Although, I'm going to be downtown on friday and sunday...

PowerManDL
07-10-2002, 09:19 PM

Son I invented it. Stories of things I did in university are told to people I've never met, BY people I've never met. Although, I am a faded dinosaur now, rare to return to campus anymore...

Is that all?

I have people from out of state tell me stories about things I did, then I tell them that was me, then I pop a boner and they explode while making whistling noises. Then a guitar wails and everything explodes.

rookiebldr
07-10-2002, 09:21 PM
:cool:

I like to golf as well, just don't get out as much - besides, I suck at it. Your schedule is wicked, golf, work, leg day and then martial arts - I'd be toast.

I didn't reply to your earlier post, but I will here. I not sure exactly where somali-... section is but I have a few ideas (just east of 427, maybe?) When I lived in Etobicoke, I was overlooking the Centenial Park on Mill Road at Rathburn (I think). That side of the 427 had a private contractor collecting garbage.

Have fun tomorrow.

rookiebldr
07-10-2002, 09:23 PM

Is that all?

I have people from out of state tell me stories about things I did, then I tell them that was me, then I pop a boner and they explode while making whistling noises. Then a guitar wails and everything explodes.

lol

ElPietro
07-11-2002, 06:54 AM

I like to golf as well, just don't get out as much - besides, I suck at it. Your schedule is wicked, golf, work, leg day and then martial arts - I'd be toast.

I didn't reply to your earlier post, but I will here. I not sure exactly where somali-... section is but I have a few ideas (just east of 427, maybe?) When I lived in Etobicoke, I was overlooking the Centenial Park on Mill Road at Rathburn (I think). That side of the 427 had a private contractor collecting garbage.

I golfed like absolute f*cking sh!t this morning. :mad: :swear: The problem is that I generally compete with this guy that's about the same skill as me, but today I got to go out with to ladies and a guy who sucks ass, so as a result I was like 7 or 8 shots higher than normal, and that's just for 9 frickin holes!!! :swear:

Yes this has started my day off poorly. I live in between Kipling & Islington, on Dixon Rd. which is airport road if you go further west. This is the very heart of somali ville. Went to garbage kipling collegiate when I was younger, i'm about a 15 minute walk from there.

I sometimes go to centennial for the driving range.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Do you even train anymore?

IceRgrrl
07-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Golf = evil waste of good grass...put some livestock out there!

And please arrange for the garbage problem to be sorted before I arrive next week...thanks in advance. ;)

ElPietro
07-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Yes Robboe I still manage to get to the gym from time to time.

STFU Farmgirl! Golf rulez!!! You suck, however, that is another discussion. :p Golf is WAY better than something boring such as running, at least there's a point to golf. I know, I know...you have your cow-tipping instead and that's fine...but it's still not golf. :)

On a relevant note I made it to all my planned training today. I have already posted my arduous 6:30am, 9 hole executive round of golf, so no need to revisit.

Today was Leg Day. I think my hamstring was feeling ok, but was a bit concerned still. I will take care on deadlifts next time out...I don't want this injury to re-occur yet again.

Legs:

Squats:

135x6/225x4/315x2/365x3/335x5

*Hmmm...I guess this wasn't bad. I was hoping for maybe 4 or possibly 5 reps of 365 but still felt heavy. I think I realized the benefit of pulling the bar towards your neck when you are going through the bottom half of the ROM. Read about it in some article on either testosterone or elitefts and I inadvertently did it on the last rep of 365 and it may have been of benefit. I didn't push it super hard as I was still concerned about my hamstring. None of this was too failure...not to say that it was a breeze.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

70x8/80x8

**I wasn't planning on doing these today, but the hammy didn't act up during squats...and I didn't want to go right to leg press after squats. Just lowered the weight and did em slow.

45 Degree Sled Leg Press:

5x8 plates/8x7 plates/10x6 plates

***Hauling 16 plates on and off the sled sucks. I hope I don't get stronger.

Sled Calf Raise:

10x7 plates/12x6 plates

****I would pause at the peak for all reps. This weight isn't too difficult but I'm not loading 800+ on the standing calf harness and was too lazy to get more plates for the sled.

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise

80x8/70x8

Hips:

Leg Raise: 2 sets of 8.
Hip Abductor: 2 sets of 10
Hip Adductor: 2 sets of 10

Stretched things out afterwards for about 3-5 minutes and I hobbled out.

Bought a protein shake and then proceeded to drive to my martial arts club. If I hauled ass I coulda got there for the early class but wanted to go for the later one. Ended up watching for about 45 minutes beforehand. Did some technique stuff and then rolled with a 270lb guy for a bit, before the black belt instructor had me roll with him. Man that f*cker is good. It's funny how a 145lb man can totally dominate as he does. I sat down with the 270lb guy afterwards and designed a weight routine for him to follow. I'll see if he sticks to it and reports back to me with his poundage etc.

Just got in about 15 minutes ago, so I've been going steady since 5am. :(

Time to finish this shake and get to bed.

ElPietro
07-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
And please arrange for the garbage problem to be sorted before I arrive next week...thanks in advance. ;)

Oops, forgot to address this comment. No I won't sort anything. If the garbage is out of control we'll just have to spend some "inside time" together. :) :angel:

Ps. Don't let me forget about the shoes, they are in the trunk so remind me.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Are you still having problems with that hamstrong of yours?

ElPietro
07-12-2002, 09:27 AM
It felt a bit tender when recovering from doing deadlifts. I know that when deadlifting it's easy to accidentally turn parts of the lift into a semi-sldl, so maybe this is what happened...or the fact that deads are still placing strain on the hammies even if you don't stiff them. I'm not too worried...just didn't want to risk anything.

rookiebldr
07-12-2002, 10:39 AM
... Golf rulez!!! You suck, however, that is another discussion. :p Golf is WAY better than something boring such as running, at least there's a point to golf. I know, I know...you have your cow-tipping instead and that's fine...but it's still not golf. :)

:nod:

ElPietro
07-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Well today was a chest/back session. I am not pleased with this split and will retool it. The added day for arms and delts rarely has a chance to fit into my schedule.

BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x3+1/245x5.5+1.5

*Well I was quite angry after this set. No real progress on bench. I felt a bit tired going in but that's never really meant anything in the past. 245 felt lighter and the retard I had spot me pulled the bar up as soon as I stuck...I figured I coulda gotten through the 6th rep without help. I was torn between screamin at the fool while I was in my last rep but decided not to. :mad:

Incline DB Bench:

85x7/85x6

**These still feel pretty tough. At least I didn't need anyone to give me a hand kicking the dbs up to my chest. I'll keep this weight here if this movement stays.

Deadlifts: (From Floor)

135x6/225x4/315x3/405x2/315x5

***Well I felt good on these. I was thinking of going for a triple at 405 but am in no rush with this exercise. Things felt heavy but not too bad. Next time out I'll maybe go to 425 and try for a double or triple depending on how I feel.

Single Arm DB Rows: (w/ez-curl bar)

175x6(5 on left)/145x8(7 on Left)

****Well yet again I am the freak of the gym. The 175 felt pretty damned heavy, I would like to comment here that I don't feel that the ROM was full so in reality they weren't complete reps...stability was poor but I put two collars on the bar on each side to make sure the weight stayed on. When I droped to 145 the weight flew up and I got all 8 on the right side without having to adjust grip or stabilize the bar. On the left side this was not the case, so I'll assume that form/stability will improve with strength. I will start with 165 next time out and see how straight the bar stays.

Did a couple sets of 8 using a 40lb db on single arm preacher curls...basically haven't done direct bi work in a while so thought I'd give a bit of added stimulation...plus it allowed me time to pick all the skin that was about to fall off from deads from my hands. :)

This session was "ok" but I am disappointed with my bench. I am thinking it could also be a result of no direct tricep work in some time as I haven't managed to have my arms/delts/traps session in ages. I will tweak this split and will most likely lower the focus on strength for a bit on bench soon. I will progress in the higher rep ranges, and perhaps just do some flat dbs for a couple weeks. When I have more time to think about it I'll figure it out.

Chris Rodgers
07-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Good job on the bench and deads foo!! 405 is nice!

Alex.V
07-15-2002, 07:09 PM
"Freak of the gym"... wear it with pride. If you REALLY wanna be a freak, if you "forget" your straps one day, use a dip belt (chain instead of strap). Good you're watching the ROM... that can be a problem.

Remember, most grip strength is actually in the last three fingers (not the index finger), so adjust the center of the hand accordingly.

ElPietro
07-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Remember, most grip strength is actually in the last three fingers (not the index finger), so adjust the center of the hand accordingly.

Yeah, with the straps I'm not finding grip to be any issue at all. It is just the balance thing. I think whenever I use a weight that I'll have a bit of a tough time it's difficult to keep everything balanced, as you are concentrating more just on the pull. But it's cool, I'm just happy to not have to use the same gay 120lb dumbell anymore. :D

Oh and thanks for the props Latty, I can only aspire to get to your lifts...soon you'll be my bitch though! :p ;)

Relentless
07-15-2002, 08:44 PM
If we can get properly hooked up this weekend for some liftin', I'll definitely get you to edjumicate me on the proper form/stylee for this bizarre form of Belial-inspired rowing, ElP.

I was thinkin' that if you lifted beforehand, you'd be slowed down for playin' football afterwards, but I guess with all the BJJ and other crazy stuff you do, your body is probably well used to lifting and then running around/being active. Ah well. Call it 'recovery training' or something. ;)

Cal

ElPietro
07-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Callahan
If we can get properly hooked up this weekend for some liftin', I'll definitely get you to edjumicate me on the proper form/stylee for this bizarre form of Belial-inspired rowing, ElP.

I was thinkin' that if you lifted beforehand, you'd be slowed down for playin' football afterwards, but I guess with all the BJJ and other crazy stuff you do, your body is probably well used to lifting and then running around/being active. Ah well. Call it 'recovery training' or something. ;)

Cal

Yeah these rows will get you all kinds of stares...like I said, I'll be pretty much recovered and ready for any routine...so we can do deads and rows and fun stuff like that or whatever, if you wanna squat or bench, I'm retooling my routine so for now my schedule is a bit sloppy.

As for football afterwards, I despise running, so I guess I could but don't expect much, if I end up playing. I have good hands, just no wheels. We rarely do much running in martial arts. That would be too much like work. ;)

ElPietro
07-17-2002, 12:42 PM
Ok my diet cannot get any worse than it has been this week. Add IcerGrrl to the equation and that means my beer intake increases significantly as well...

Met up for dinner and a jays game with Icer and her folks last night. Her parents are really nice...her mom is a total babe and a party animal to boot! It was a pleasure drinking a bit with the fam! :D

PowerManDL
07-17-2002, 02:37 PM
What are yall dating now?

ElPietro
07-17-2002, 02:40 PM
What are yall dating now?

Heh, her parents had a few choices of places to go with her for a short vacation so they chose Toronto. So they are out doing all the touristy stuff. Since they came up I was invited to hang out with them one night for the baseball game.

I think she just invited me out to test her strength against me, as she is now a veteran of the Jammer Machine. :p

Relentless
07-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Que es, "Jammer Machine"?

PowerManDL
07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Sounds like something Eric would be fond of.

ElPietro
07-18-2002, 07:07 AM

Too complicated to explain without using hand motions...I still don't quite understand it and she explained it to me for a bit. My rudimentary explanation would be some kinda machine that actually mimics compound olympic style lifts that incorporate both your legs and arms. Maybe Icer can describe it better when she gets back home.

Went golfing this am, had a very decent nine holes.

On a VERY bad note, I have not eaten anything for about 20 hours straight now. :( I will be grabbing something very soon now that I'm in the office.

Mystic Eric
07-19-2002, 01:54 AM
Sounds like something Eric would be fond of.

DIE! :swear:

IceRgrrl
07-19-2002, 09:00 AM

Here's a link that may help?

http://www.coachsos.com/jammers.html

Basically you stand in the machine, feet back, leaning forward on your toes with hands on handles, then rock backwards and explode forward and upwards with the whole body while extending arms up overhead. It's liking coiling and releasing a spring...

Franco
07-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Sounds like hours of fun!!!

ElPietro
07-19-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by FAngel
Sounds like hours of fun!!!

Yeah she is!

Oh wait...you were talking about that machine...not Icer...

err... *shuts up*

:angel:

Relentless
07-19-2002, 09:15 AM
Jamming sounds very cool.

Did you get to jam with Icer, ElP?

Uh, waitaminute, that sounded a bit rude.

Did you perform Jammers...

Hm, still not any better.

You know what I mean...

ElPietro
07-19-2002, 09:24 AM
Haha, I am now speechless in my own journal! I will answer with, "A gentleman never tells..." ;). *j/k* All jokes aside Icer is a great girl and has great parents, we had fun in the limited time we had, as I was working and she was playing tour guide.

Anyway...diet this week as stated before has been ass...I feel like it is making some impact on my body right now but whatever...I have trained exactly once this week and have had no martial arts. I guess it's safe to consider this a rest week. Tonight I will continue that trend.

Tomorrow I'll be meeting up with Callahan and we'll be doing a session at his gym. This will mark my first workout with a WBB member, as I'm too intimidated to go with Icer, don't want to be shown up. ;) It looks like Cal and I are pretty close in strength so we won't have an annoying workout of taking plates off or putting them on all the time between sets. Man imagine if I worked out with gay eric...he'd have his pink plastic dumbells sitting right beside mine! :eek: I believe we'll be doing back/bis...I haven't done any direct training of arms in some time and I will not be following my exact routine tomorrow. I'm sorta in a transition phase so tomorrow will probably be something a bit out of the ordinary...

When I get a chance I will be starting a new program...in the mean time I may just do a weeks worth of whatever I feel I need until I am satisfied with my new routine. I may even hold off a month as I go gym shopping, I am intersted in implementing some westside concepts and my current gym isn't optimal for that. We'll see.

IceRgrrl
07-19-2002, 09:47 AM
:eek:

I think the 5th Ammendment says something about avoiding self-incrimination (I must have been awake for some parts of h.s. Civics class)...so I think I shall refrain from commentary :help:

Maybe next time we should train instead of drink, El P...I'm sick of trying to keep up with you (damn that competitive instinct). But you'd probably still kick my ass...

Alex.V
07-19-2002, 09:49 AM

Man imagine if I worked out with gay eric...he'd have his pink plastic dumbells sitting right beside mine!

LMAO

Relentless
07-19-2002, 10:25 AM
I really DID mean "Did you get a chance to try exercising on the Jammer Machine", despite my difficulty in asking that in a way that didn't seem to imply carnal knowledge.

*sigh*

Considering I make a living with words, you'd think I'd be better at expressing myself.

ElP, I haven't done chest since Monday, so if I have a competent spotter (you) around, I may also do a little chest work with ya, just to see if I can hit a new 1RM on the BB bench. :)

Anyway, for tomorrow, I'm planning to do at least:
- widegrip chins
- t-bar rows
- Deadlifts
- seated incline DB curls
- DB 21s
- maybe some other back/bi work as I have the time and inclination... these 5 are my core though

ElPietro
07-19-2002, 11:08 AM

I think the 5th Ammendment says something about avoiding self-incrimination (I must have been awake for some parts of h.s. Civics class)...so I think I shall refrain from commentary :help:

Maybe next time we should train instead of drink, El P...I'm sick of trying to keep up with you (damn that competitive instinct). But you'd probably still kick my ass...

Haha, clever girl. I would hate to tarnish your "nice girl" image. :D :angel:

Nah we should just stick to drinking...at least on the internet I can make up all my lifts, and pretend to go to the gym, but if you came and trained with me I'd have to live up to all my BS. :eek: ;) As for kicking your ass...I dunno about that...remember that time when you had me pinned down...oh wait...everyone please ignore that. :p :zipit: :smoke:

Cal as for jamming, I'm pretty sure my gym doesn't have that machine. So no. For your list of exercises I will Deadlift with you and maybe t-bar row...incline DB curls are an exercise I used to do as well. I'll show you the ez-curl bar single arm rows, and I will probably try good mornings just so you can watch my form as I won't be able to look at it myself. Never done em before...this will just be a trial anyway. I'll start with flat bench, I generally only do 2 working sets so we could always do that first to get things pumping. I generally stay in my 3 rep max range but we'll see. Of course I can spot you if you wanna do a 1 repper...it will be fun to have a WBB members life in my hands... :evillaugh

rookiebldr
07-19-2002, 12:20 PM
It looks like Cal and I are pretty close in strength so we won't have an annoying workout of taking plates off or putting them on all the time between sets.

:cry: I guess that will leave me out of ever joining in on the fun.

ElPietro
07-19-2002, 12:45 PM

:cry: I guess that will leave me out of ever joining in on the fun.

You use a lot of dumbells so you're ok. Or we'd just motivate you to lift more. ;)

rookiebldr
07-19-2002, 11:03 PM
:cool: :cool:

ElPietro
07-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Met up with Callahan yesterday morning to go for a session at his gym downtown. He had brought his wife who was a really cool chica. :)

The gym was a bit yuppie as to be expected downtown but it had a room seperate from most of the machines and cardio and we basically just took over the corner that had the power rack for the whole session.

We started off with bench...just cuz I have had a chest/back program and, although, i'm switching, I wanted to at least get some stimulation in.

Cal wanted to 1 rep max so I thought I'd see what I could do too.

BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/285x1/305xmiss/295xmiss

*Ok this really sucked. I know I should be able to handle this weight. Perhaps not enough rest between 305 and 295 but I was pretty pissed. I was telling Cal not to touch it while I was struggling through my sticking point. Eventually I ran outta gas and was forced to admit defeat. :mad: Oh well, perhaps no tricep work in a month or so has hindered me. I generally take a close grip so I know I am more of a triceps presser. Oh well...serves me right for 1 rep maxing...

Cals lift was pretty good as well. I think he was a bit disappointed as was I but in the end he has progressed so much on bench that he'll be putting up huge numbers soon enough.

Triceps Pushdowns:

170x10/170x10/170x12

**Did these at a fast pace...this was the whole rack and it didn't feel too challenging, last couple reps were a bit tough.

Moved on to deadlifts...which was to be the highlight of the workout.

BB Deadlifts:

135x6/225x3/315x3/405x2/445x2

***Sweet! I was planning on just increasing by 20lbs over last week, but of course, with someone watching I was pushing myself a bit harder. It was all cool looking down at the bar with 4 plates aside and a couple dimes. The thing that pleases me the most is that 445 felt the same as 405 did the first time I did it. Since this is my 4th or 5th time deadlifting I'm sure I have a lot of progress still to go, yet am not going to risk having my spine rip out of my back by going to fast. :)

Cal pulled some great lifts as well...I think he'd do even better if he did deads first, but he likes to do chins first so to each his own.

One-Arm EZ-Curl Rows:

165x7(6 on left)/145x8(7 on left)

****Was unstable needing lotsa regrip on 165 and last one or two were shitty ROM. When dropped to 145 it was quite easy to keep it balanced.

Belial I'm sure will be pleased to note that I have infected Callahan with this new exercise. He tried it...and I think he liked it! ;) After I gave him a quick demonstration of straps he was pulling away and exuded hardcoreness afterwards. :p

Did a couple quick sets of pulldowns...didn't like the bar they had there as it had some rubber grip that bothered my hands. I'd rather it just be steel. After that did a couple sets of incline curls and that was it for lifting.

They had a seperate room with a "not-so-heavy" bag so I felt like giving the hip a bit of a stretch and just did some quick kicks to get my legs going. It's horrible how far I've fallen by not going to muay thai. I think even gay eric would be able to laugh at me while I kicked him in the ribs.

After this we traveled over to the football field and tossed the ball around in the afternoon heat. It was pretty damned hot and sunny, although not too humid.

It was fun playing football...it's been a while for me, but still have a lot of confidence in my ability to catch most of what's thrown to me. Cal and I ended up covering each other since we were probably the only two guys over 200lbs on the field. :D I managed to snag about 3 TDs and was wheezing in the end. I forget how much work all that sprinting and stopping and cutting is. Just covering Cal was a workout. In the end my team one if I remember correctly. :p All the guys were cool and we went back to their place to relax and clean up. Went for some food and then back to the place again to have some drinks before heading to the bar. Some of the guys that played were in the band...it was their place.

The band was great and I had a great time. I was a bit subdued...as I was with a whole buncha people I had just met, but still it was great. Everyone was cool. Went back to the house for post concert alcohol consumption. After a bit I stumbled my ass to the subway and after get off at the wrong end and having to walk like 15 minutes to get to my car eventually made it home and to bed.

Today I ache like a b!tch. I hope Callahan is in some moderate discomfort after yesterday's activity. I know it's mainly the running that's gotten to me. Deadlift pain won't be till tomorrow. :(

Took my mother on a date to see Reign of Fire. Wasn't a bad flic. Other than that...today is rest day.

I'm sure we'll be able to get together for future workouts and see how things have progressed. :)

Chris Rodgers
07-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Great job on the deads!! Moving up real quick. You'll be cruising up to 500 soon.

Alex.V
07-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Excellent workout, man. Nice deadlifting, and I feel your frustration on the bench.

Actually, I have better luck starting out lighter on the one armed rows.... just because it's SUCH an awkward motion, it generally takes me a set to get my balance and ROM down (and confidence up). Glad to hear somebody else does them now. muahahahahaha. :D

ElPietro
07-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words gents. Al, I maybe I'll try pyramiding the weight instead of reverse as I generally do. Makes sense anyway.

For my bench woes I will start training triceps again, and will train them hard. I might not go anywhere near max on bench for a bit and just go much heavier on tris and see if this makes a difference. I'll also experiment with different grip widths. Right now I measure my grip off by putting my hands on the bar with my thumbs outstretched so the tips reach the smooth part just to get my hand positioning. So I guess when I bring my thumb back I'm a couple inches from the smooth with the inside of my hand. If that is at all clear.

IceRgrrl
07-22-2002, 10:28 AM

I know it's mainly the running that's gotten to me.

See? You should run more...it doesn't kill you! :D

Glad to hear that you actually caught the subway this time ;)

ElPietro
07-22-2002, 11:27 AM

See? You should run more...it doesn't kill you! :D

Glad to hear that you actually caught the subway this time ;)

Actually, I feel like I'm dead, or very close to it.

As for the subway...yes I managed to catch it THIS time. So many more people around this time but still much less distraction. Funny how that works. :p :cool:

Oh and you can lose the angel any time now. No point in keeping up your false pretenses. :eek: :)

IceRgrrl
07-22-2002, 11:39 AM

Oh and you can lose the angel any time now. No point in keeping up your false pretenses. :eek: :)

Hey, if you can use it, I can use it ;) And quit degenerating your own journal!

ElPietro
07-23-2002, 06:07 PM
Well today was just a mish mash workout. Parts of my legs were still in some form of recovery I believe, as my hammies and hip flexors were still giving me some grief. My main goal for today was to teach myself power cleans.

Got into the gym and wasn't sure what to do...so jumped on an ellyptical for 5 minutes just to dismiss some of the leg stiffness. It sorta worked.

I then decided that I was going to test my bench max since it had been two days. The first time with Cal was pretty much the only time in my life I've tried for a 1RM on bench...well since I was a lil' whipper snapper in highschool. Since I failed 295 last time out...which really surprised me I figured I'd try again.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/295x2+1

*Ha! I knew it was all CNS holding me back before! :evillaugh The spotter did have his hands on the bar for all reps but he said he just guided it a bit on the second and helped a bit on the 3rd. I was just happy I didn't embarass myself. I momentarily thought of resting up and going for 300 or 305 but then thought I'd just end things on a positive note. :)

I then moved on to the power rack and just sorta stood there with a bar in my hands and tried to go through all the motions. I felt kinda like an idiot but whatever. It seems a bit akward and I felt a bit foolish trying to feel what it would be like to clean the bar with actual weight on it. I was a bit unstable at the part of getting under the bar. And I was really trying to focus on keeping my shrug quick and tight...but was struggling a bit.

I put on a quarter on each side and then did a few and found it to be "ok" and just would do a few reps and then walk away and then come back and do a few more. I added in some push presses at the top of the motion as well. Generally I would do the lift in two parts...the deadlift part...then would stop and concentrate a bit on the next phase of actually bringing the bar up.

Decided to up the weight again so I was doing 135. Did a few of those with push presses at the end, then upped the weight to 155. This was a bit tougher and I was pretty fatigued at that point. I had also done a set of 8 of BB shrugs at 315lbs as a guy had just finished so I told him to leave it. I think my biggest challenge is getting under the bar properly. I think maybe a few more times out and this lift will be fine. I really didn't care about the weight, other than it seemed like I needed "some" weight on it to be able to understand the mechanics properly. Did another short set of shrugs but my traps were fatigued I guess. Generally I'd get to 4 plates and today I struggled with 3. Oh well.

Then moved on to try some pull down abs. Did a set of 10 that felt really light...can't remember the weight...then did a set of 10 at 135lbs. This felt a bit better. Although the rack only goes to 155 so I anticipate a problem here. I'll have to check if the lat pulldown crap has anything in the way for me to crouch.

Then did some incline ab work. Did a set of statics breaking it into 3 components and pausing for about 3 seconds at each for about 5 or 6 reps before it felt tough...then finished the set off. Did another set of 15 reps.

Jumped on the treadmill for 20 minutes as I couldn't think of much else to do.

Well I think I learned the power clean with push press in decent form. I didn't bother asking any of the people there for them to check form as I doubt they had a clue what I was doing.

Tomorrow and thursday I have social activities that will allow me to recover and begin whatever split I go with for now.

ElPietro
07-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Here is the routine I will be performing until I've decided what gym I'll be sticking with and what my schedule will look like.

Chest/Arms
BB Bench x2 (Heavy)
DB Incline Bench x2 (Med)
Pec Dec x2 (Med)
Skulls x2 (Med)
Pushdowns x2 (Med)
Standing BB Curls x2 (Heavy-Med)
Single Arm DB Preacher Curl x2 (Med)

Legs
Back Squat x2 (Heavy)
Good Mornings x2 (Med)
Leg Press x3 (Heavy/Med)
Standing & Seated Calves x2 each (Med)
Misc. Hip Work (Med-Light)

Lats/Shoulders
High Rows x2 (Heavy)
Single Arm DB Rows x2 (Med-Heavy)
Pull Downs x2 (Med) Rotating Style
Seated Horizontal Row x2
Standing Military Press x3 (Heavy-Med)
Side Laterals x2 (Med)

Deads/Traps/Abs
Deadlifts x3 (Heavy)
BB Shrugs x3 (Heavy-Med)
Pull Down Abs x3 (Heavy-Med)
Incline Crunches (static/dynamic) x2 (Med)

I'll give this a whirl until I know what equipment I have at my disposal. I will still work on some form of conjugated periodization routine but I think I'll stick with this or a smaller version of this if 4 days is too much. It's a bit highish on the exercise side...but most of my movements are only two sets...so adding it all up it ain't all that bad.

Relentless
07-24-2002, 07:45 AM
Nice workout scheme; awfully similar to mine, actually. :)

Only comment I have is that you're missing bicep work -- I found that my lat work improved quite a bit once I was training biceps directly . . . of course the way you have it, doing deadlifts on basically their own day is kinda cool . . .

ElPietro
07-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Ah fook, I keep forgetting biceps. Hmmm...there will be at least a couple days between chest day and lat day...I think I'll go with chest arms instead of putting biceps on lat day. I'll edit it above.

Relentless
07-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Your call, but I find that traps/shoulders work really well together (maybe it's just me).

If you put deads on back day (which kinda makes sense), you can easily fit biceps in there too and then do shoulders/traps on their own day

ElPietro
07-24-2002, 08:05 AM
I'd rather organize each day around a major muscle group. Deads don't really fatigue my lats at all...but the next day i can feel my traps are sore. So I included traps on that day. Shoulders only seem to interfere with chest so if I don't put them on chest day I need to make sure there is time for recovery...so lat day worked. Also, heavy squats and good mornings will cause fatigue on the lower back, so having lats/shoulders in between gives my posterior chain time to recover before deadlift day.

So I base it all around a major movement or muscle each day and make sure all the targeted muscles have a chance to recover before the next time they are stressed. The way this program is set up is that each muscle should be stressed directly once per week and indirectly once per week with recovery time in between. Or that's what I'm thinking anyway...I only spent about 10 minutes putting it together. :)

ElPietro
07-26-2002, 06:42 AM
This is from yesterday.

Woke up for a 6:22am tee off time. Experienced some weird pain in my back. Anytime I'd twist for a practice swing I'd experience a flash of pain as I came back to neutral. Did some testing and the flash of pain would come anytime I untightened the muscle right down the middle of my back on the right side. Didn't seem to impact my golf game which sucked regardless that morning. Also, wrist pain is becoming more common. I think I might be developing a bit of carpal tunnel or something.

After work I headed to the gym for Lats/Shoulders day.

HS High Rows:

280x5/250x7

*Ok I guess. Haven't done this exercise in some time.

Single Arm EZ-Curl Bar Rows:

125x8/185x(2.5R/0.75L)/175x2.5 on left

**Yes I'm a complete retard. I think doing the lower weight first on this is good to help with stabilization as belial said. I just need to realize that 185 is too much weight at this point in time.

Close Grip Pull-Downs:

200x6/200x6

Standing Military Press:

125x8/140x5

***Could have done more but didn't push it. Actually, I'm happy with this result. I can go heavier next time but haven't done any direct shoulder work in quite a while so didn't want to push things.

DB Lateral Raise

30x8/30x6

:rolleyes:

HS Horizontal Row:

180x8/180x8

Well this is my first lat/shoulder day and I think I'm happy with it, although it felt weird not starting things off with some form of heavy compound. I don't think I have been training my lats very well in the previous months and feel that this split will give the attention to them that they need. The pain in the middle of my back is gone today and I doubt it had any impact on my lifts. Not sure what I have planned for the weekend but I'll definitely get in for another session either saturday or sunday.

ElPietro
07-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Well last night I ended up going for a night on the town. Drank WAY too much and ended up at an after hours bar at about 2am...finally got out of the taxi and made it home by 4:30am. Woke up feeling quite sh!tty, hungover, dehydrated, etc.

Basically, I spent most of the afternoon trying to rehydrate and recover. Today was deadlift/traps/abs day.

BB Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/315x3/462.5x1/475x0/455x1

*Ok, I'm retarded. On the first heavy single it looked like the bar was bending but only on one side. I was a bit confused and discovered when i added another 5lb plate that the plate on there was a fookin 2.5lb wafer. :mad: So I had a 5 lb on one side and a 2.5 on the other. I guess it wasn't a huge imbalance as I made the lift anyway. I was a bit pissed since I wanted 465 so instead I put the 5s on and took a break. I set up and started my pull...It felt like my spine was going to seperate from my back so I quit on it. I uttered a vulgar expletive and took a break. I thought of retrying but wanted to end with a successful pull and not a failed one so I took off both the 5s. I took about a 5 minute break and walked up to the bar and had a "chat" with it. I told it how pathetic and meek it was and how it stood no chance, and used some "not nice" words at it...it did not respond. I went down and did my little pre-dead routine and started to pull...felt like my spine was coming out again but I got really angry and went through with it. Locked out...stood there for about 3 seconds and then let it down. I was happy and disappointed at the same time. I guess I'll have to start working for my gains now.

BB Shrugs:

225x8/315x8/315x8

**Ok the two moderately heavy sets were tough. This I'm guessing is a result of the deads. I used to pull 4 plates and now 3 is difficult. As a result I decided to include DB shrugs as well.

DB Shrugs:

95x10/120x10/120x10

***The 95s felt like air so I went up to the highest DBs. The 120s felt a bit better.

Pull Down Abs:

135x10/155x10

DB Sidebends:

75x10/75x10

****Thought I'd add these in and hit up the obliques a bit. Felt pretty good. I think 75 is a good weight.

Static/Dynamic Incline Crunches:

BWx10/BWx8

*****Abs were dead at this point.

Well that's all she wrote. Was an ok workout.

chris mason
07-28-2002, 05:51 PM
Good job on the deads, they have really come up, no?

Chris Rodgers
07-28-2002, 06:06 PM
You had to put that extra 2.5 lbs on just to pass me didn't ya fatboy?? :p Good shiat!!

PowerManDL
07-28-2002, 06:36 PM
I was going to make some wisecrack about him picking up a twinkie but then I remembered that twinkies don't weigh 2.5 lbs.

Alex.V
07-28-2002, 06:37 PM

Ok, I'm retarded.

Ye--- never mind. Too easy.

Nice pull, though. :)

ElPietro
07-28-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Good job on the deads, they have really come up, no?

Woo! Chris posted in my journal! :cool: To answer your question yes they have come up quite a bit. I am still in the "learning" phase though. I did deads a bit when I was 16 years old and trained for a few weeks consistently. Since then I have never done them, other than the SLDL which killed my hammy. So I am attributing most of the gains to just making adjustments and getting better at it. Now I feel like progress will probably slow down a bit...even though going up by 20lbs each week is nice I don't expect it to last.

Haha, Latty I was so pissed when I realized it was a 2.5. I just wanted to hit 465 and that measly wafer was staring back at me I almost lost it. :p

Matt, you are correct, "one" twinkie does not weight 2.5lbs, however, twinkies should never be eaten one at a time. ;)

Alex, yes us "special" members are easy targets. Thanks for the compliment nevertheless. :)

IceRgrrl
07-29-2002, 04:59 AM
Nice job, El P...must have been that pre-workout Coke that made the difference ;)

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Nice job, El P...must have been that pre-workout Coke that made the difference ;)

Nah, I had a 30 min nap and some water to rehydrate before I left. ;)

Anyway, today was chest/arms day.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x3+2/245x5+2

*Bah! I was hoping for better results than this! :swear: Ok at 275 the 4th rep was barely fintgertip spotting and the 5th rep was maybe slightly more than fingertip but I will keep them seperate as I didn't get them clean. :mad: 6th rep of 245 I'm not sure if the spotter helped, can't remember...but the last one he certainly did. At least he didn't just yank the fookin bar outta my hands when I hit a sticking point. He let me struggle with it which is how I like it.

Incline DB Press:

85x4/85x1

**WTF? Ok at this point I started laughing out loud. I guess this is just a sh!tty day or something. Instead of getting lighter DBs I just did a set of Incline Machine press. 1 set of 8 at 200lbs which is as high as it goes.

Pec Dec Flies:

110x10/140x8

***These felt pretty good. I stopped doing these because of some shoulder problems I was going through but I think I haven't lost anything here.

SkullCrushers:

90x8/105x6

****Bleh.

Standing Barbell Curls:

95x8/105x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x10/155x10 (155=whole rack so next time lat pulldown area instead.)

40x8/40x8

Well this was a crappy workout. The 85s I had very little trouble with last time out. Although, I've been inconsistent with my routine lately and feel that bench, and my legs when I do them next will have suffered for it. I hadn't trained tris or bis for a long time along with shoulders and I think I'm paying for it now. This makes sense since I seemed as strong if not stronger on pec dec flies, yet bench was weaker and my sticking point is always midway which would lead me to feel shoulders are still my biggest issue to deal with...along with some tricep work needed. I'm sure I'll fix it eventually. I think this routine will do me good.

Relentless
07-29-2002, 06:57 PM

Incline DB Press:

85x4/85x1

**WTF? Ok at this point I started laughing out loud. I guess this is just a sh!tty day or something. Instead of getting lighter DBs I just did a set of Incline Machine press. 1 set of 8 at 200lbs which is as high as it goes.

Pete! You're totally kicking my ass in virtually every other lift. What's up with this? I mean DAMN... I thought you were joking when you posted earlier that you were just gonna move 85s.

As a side note, do you do this at a 45degree, or less than 45? I was doing them at 45, but now I do them on about a 30... more pec, less delt, and more stable through the movement, I've found.

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 07:01 PM
It's a 45 degree bench I believe...there is one with less incline but I chose the steeper one. Perhaps I'll go to the less inclined one next time. I'm pretty sure I used this bench last time so I don't think the incline is a factor. I just think that I haven't trained well lately on anything other than deads, and I had a crappy day.

Savannah
07-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Aww hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you!:)
Blame it on the crap weather and thunderstorms:)

kimpy225
07-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Savannah
Aww hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you!:)
Blame it on the crap weather and thunderstorms:)

yea YEA!

MonStar
07-30-2002, 01:42 AM
Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x3+2/245x5+2

Nice strength EP! Impressive as f*ck man. I am wondering what do you mean with + reps. For example you did 275 for 5 + 2? Is that 2 assisted reps or 2 sets or what?

ElPietro
07-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the support ladies. :)

Monstar it says 3+2 meaning 3 reps on my own and then two slightly assisted as the caption below explains. Fingertip or a bit more on the last one. That was a crappy day.

On another negative note, I think cutting out martial arts is having a bad effect on bf levels but it's a bit early to tell. I still plan on doing some cardio at times but I can see things sliding quite a bit if I don't keep at least semi-strict on diet. I will stick it out with the no martial arts for the month as I had planned and re-evaluate. If things get really bad then I will probably go back to my muay thai club as it was the hardest on the body as far as general conditioning goes.

Today and tomorrow are rest days. Maybe do some jogging tonight if I feel adventurous. Thursday starts my vacation and I'll be doing legs which has been a long ass time since I've done anything on them so I'm sure I'll suck there too. :(

ElPietro
08-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Well today is the first day of some vacation time for me. I started it out by drinking last night and getting in after midnight. Woke up this morning at 5am to prepare for our usual 9 holes of golf. Hit pretty well today. Grabbed some breakfast and then headed to a buds place. Today was to be leg day for me but I was going to go train at his gym and show him a buncha exercises as well.

Got there and showed him a buncha stuff but I'll just post my workout. This gym didn't have a power rack, the squat rack sucked, and the leg press was at some angle where your heels had to come off the platform at some point during each rep.

I also haven't trained legs in 3 weeks. Last leg day was July 11th.

BB Squats:

135x6/225x6/335x4/315x5

*I was doing these really slowly and going about as deep as I've ever gone before. These were nowhere near failure by any stretch but I was uncomfortable in this old crappy squat rack with the pegs at weird heights that weren't suited to me. If I had a power rack I would have felt much better.

45 Degree Leg Press:

8 plates x4/7 plates x 6 /6 plates x8

**This leg press sled sucked. I won't dignify it with further explanation.

Did calf raises on the leg press with the last two sets.

Also did 2 sets of hamstring curls on a machine. I hadn't been able to check my journal for my revised leg day, but it didn't matter. After 3 weeks off legs I just wanted to give some stimulation. I didn't expect to have any decent strength. When I'm at my gym i'll be more focused.

ElPietro
08-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Went downtown and drank and then realized the subway had stopped running. Wandered around for a while and cabbed to the 24 hour bus line and bussed back to my car at the end of the line. Got home and had trouble sleeping. Got a few hours sleep. Ate a little bit before I went to workout. Today was lat day.

HS High Rows:

140x8/190x3/300x4/250x8

Not Belial Rows:

125x8/165x5(R)x3.5(L)/120lb DB x8 on both sides

*Bleh, 165 felt pretty heavy still. Form was degrading so I stopped. I decided to throw on a set with the 120 lbers at the end. On the right side the 120s felt light as hell and I was practically just doing a speed set. On the left it was the same up until the 4th rep and then it was more difficult. It's obvious that using the ez-curl bar has much improved things.

Standing BB Military Press:

45x12/155x5/135x7

**Somewhat happy here. I could have probably done a few more reps on both sets but didn't want to perhaps start cheating with the legs so I just stopped. Next week I may up the weight and push a bit harder when closer to failure.

Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns:

210x7/210x6

DB Side Laterals:

30x8/30x8

***These felt a bit easier to do. I think I may be getting a little bit better in the shoulder strength department. This would be good as I feel my shoulders are absolute garbage and are holding me back on bench.

Mid Grip Lat Pulldowns:

190x6/190x3

****Last set I just felt burned and really didn't feel like continuing.

Rear Delt Reverse Pec Deck Flies:

rack x8/rack x8

It's only my second time on my lat focused day, but I think I'm enjoying this split so far. Having a day to lats and shoulders I feel could help me quite a bit. I will be deadlifting on tuesday which will hopefully not be impacted much by recovering lats. After all, I am the one who maintains lats aren't a big part of deads, so I better not suck at them in a couple days. :)

I am debating whether or not the single arm rows shall be the first exercise or if I should just keep high rows first. Maybe when 165 can be done for a set of 6 on both sides, I'll up the weight and do them first for the first couple weeks.

Alex.V
08-04-2002, 04:26 PM

Not Belial Rows

baha.

:D

btw, I'd keep the high rows first. You don't get my reasoning, though. That will wait until a future installment.

Not that you give a shite. ;)

ElPietro
08-07-2002, 03:19 PM
I dunno...no big deal to me which i do first right now. I'll prolly do the high rows first for now cuz it's easier to warmup with so no real risk of straining anything. But I think I'll keep the 3rd set with the DBs in there.

This is yesterday's deadlift session posted today.

BB Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/315x3/405x1/475x1/435x0/405x1/315x3

*Yes a bit more volume here. The warmups were done pretty quickly. 3 plates now feels like air. 405 was a cinch. 475 was a motherf*cker though. I hesitated on my first attempt and took a step back and reset. Then forced myself to do the rep. Felt like my lower back was ripping out and I stood there with the weight for 3 or 4 seconds just to make sure it was locked out. I was pretty pleased with that. I became very angry a bit later when I was thinking of trying 435 for maybe a double and couldn't make myself pull it. Even 405 was really tough. I guess I'll just attribute that to the 475 lift kicking my ass. Next session will be a light session, or maybe just some power cleans instead. I don't think I can just deadlift in a maximal range week after week. These were done off the floor, conventional stance, with no equipment other than 'lil ole me. :) Maybe I'll experiment a bit with sumos next time. The added set of 315 was just cuz I was pissed at missing 435 and having 405 feel like it was ultra heavy.

I attempted some BB Shrugs but I was really gassed out and decided after a couple poor sets I'd go with DBs. Even the 120s were feeling pretty heavy. Did a set of 8 then another quick set, maybe 6 if I recall correctly. Just decided to move on to abs.

Did ab pulldowns on the cable machine. 1 set of 135 and two sets of 155 which is the rack. Felt it pretty good. Went and did a set of incline crunches with the first few reps being static. Everything was tired so I decided to call it a day.

Today my lower back is very stiff.

Relentless
08-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Nice deads, punk. ;) Better keep pushing heavier though, or I'll catch up. Only 110lbs to go! :)

Chris Rodgers
08-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Nice job on the deads foo.

Franco
08-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Nice work Pete

IceRgrrl
08-08-2002, 05:01 AM
Nice workout, Peter. I think you scared some people with those hardcore deadlifts...LOL!

ElPietro
08-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Awww...thanks guys. *sniff* :)

Lower back still sore...but I think it's diminshed a bit. I'm sure it's just fatigue...

MonStar
08-08-2002, 07:24 AM
BB Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/315x3/405x1/475x1/435x0/405x1/315x3

Some nice pulls EP! Wow I am impressed. 475 for 1? :eek::eek:

Beast man, total beast.

ElPietro
08-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Well today was chest/arms day. Was going to go light...but decided to keep things in a somewhat moderate range.

I think I ate quite a few cals yesterday but they were pretty crappy cals. Went into the gym hungry as well, although diet was pretty good today. I just don't like feeling hunger pangs while I workout.

BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x4+2/245x6+1

*Bleh...I guess this is ok but I was hoping for 5 or 6 unassisted. The fifth rep was barely any help, but I wouldn't count the last one as being close. Can't get through this damned sticking point. I am blaming my shoulders on this, although I think in the near future I will start training tris much heavier as well. I might add some front raises to my shoulder day and see if any added volume may help.

Incline DB Bench:

85x7.5/80x5.5

**I think I had 7.5 on the first set...I may have only done 6.5, can't remember. This bench was at a less of an incline from last week. So either this is what made the diff or I just had a really bad week last time out. I might do this exercise first and just do some decline db bench or flat afterwards instead. Put a bit more focus again on my shoulders. That weight kinda sucks ass.

Pec Dec Flies:

140x8/130x8

***I'm glad my strength here is still pretty damned good. This pec dec I've never seen anyone do a set in the 100s before, and usually the girly men are in the 50s or 60s for weight. Again, more reinforcement that my chest is fine yet either my triceps or shoulders are a problem.

BB Curls:

115x2/105x2

****Ok I was feeling pretty uncomfortable and getting some pain in the elbows here. Form was starting to degrade so I just stopped. Maybe curls with the olympic bar just aren't for me.

40x8/40x8

Skull Crushers:

105x8/105x8

*****I'm happy with this. I don't think I've gone two sets of 8 on this before. Using the ez-curl bar with weight welded on...maybe I'll have to start putting plates on a bare bar...not sure if there is one higher, and if so it's probably a lot higher.

DB Hammer Curls:

50x6/40x8

******Bleh, couldn't find the 45s, 50 was probably too heavy...maybe if I did them alternating one arm at a time I coulda done more. Whatever, it's only hammer curls...

Triceps Pushdowns:

65x8/95x8/95x8

*******Finally moved on to the lat pulldown station for this exercise. The regular cable pulley goes to 155 but I can do quite easily and basically make the stack jump in the air each rep. Funny how 95 was fookin hard on the lat machine.

While this workout was "ok" I may start switching up the intensity or focus of certain bodyparts. I may toy with more volume on chest and also on shoulders as I feel they have always been a sore spot due to injury. Technically my left shoulder will never be 100%, but what do doctors know anyway.

ElPietro
08-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Met up with Callahan to play some football this afternoon. Was having a fun game until I made a cut to the right and felt something happen with my left hamstring. I think I may have just strained it, as the pain wasn't as bad as the last time I tore it. If I had torn it I probably would have been homicidally angry...but instead I remained nice and calm and non-violent. Stopped at the drug store on the way home and bought some anti-inflammatories. So now I sit here with an ice gel pack strapped to my leg and 600mg of ibuprofen in me. I guess I probably shouldn't take it on an empty stomach but whatever.

I'm not sure if I'll be playing anymore football for a very long time. I think the stop/start and hard cuts that you have to make when playing competetively are putting too much strain on my leg. Considering hammy injuries are more common in football than probably any other sport I think I can say that it's probably the worst thing I can do at this point.

I guess I'll evaluate things in a couple days and see if it is just a strain or not. I'd rather not go back to physio. Oh well...I guess no more leg days or deadlifts for some time now. :(

Alex.V
08-10-2002, 02:47 PM

Triceps Pushdowns:

65x8/95x8/95x8

*******Finally moved on to the lat pulldown station for this exercise. The regular cable pulley goes to 155 but I can do quite easily and basically make the stack jump in the air each rep. Funny how 95 was fookin hard on the lat machine.

Look at the number of pulleys. :)

ElPietro
08-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Belial

Look at the number of pulleys. :)

Eh? :confused:

Alex.V
08-10-2002, 05:46 PM
A lat pulldown machine typically has the cable travel from the stack, up across the top, and straight down to the handle. You move the bar two inches, the stack moves two inches.

The regular cable setup for tricep pushdowns usually has two pulleys or more, and doubles back. Depending on the machine, you move the handle two inches, the stack moves 1.5" (for example). Hence the difference in difficulty.

ElPietro
08-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Ahh...wasn't sure what you were saying with your highly descriptive initial post. ;)

Relentless
08-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure if I'll be playing anymore football for a very long time. I think the stop/start and hard cuts that you have to make when playing competetively are putting too much strain on my leg. Considering hammy injuries are more common in football than probably any other sport I think I can say that it's probably the worst thing I can do at this point.

Which is a pity, because I really enjoyed playing against you. You're a real competitor, P.

I feel guilty as hell about you getting hurt, though there was really nothing I coulda done about it. In any case, you will be missed, m'friend. :)

I will have to bear in mind, however, the fact that Todd set out to wear me down to the benefit of his team. I guess with Adam and Glen and that other guy on my team I was the weaker link, but I'll be damned if I'll be anyone's patsy. :) I'll simply have to keep working at my game until he decides it's too risky to throw passes near me.

Cal

P.S. I will hereby dedicate my own deadlifts to your injured hammy until such time as you recover and start lifting 'em yourself again. Feel free to castigate me for lack of process on this lift. :)

ElPietro
08-12-2002, 09:05 PM

Which is a pity, because I really enjoyed playing against you. You're a real competitor, P.

I feel guilty as hell about you getting hurt, though there was really nothing I coulda done about it. In any case, you will be missed, m'friend. :)

I will have to bear in mind, however, the fact that Todd set out to wear me down to the benefit of his team. I guess with Adam and Glen and that other guy on my team I was the weaker link, but I'll be damned if I'll be anyone's patsy. :) I'll simply have to keep working at my game until he decides it's too risky to throw passes near me.

Cal

P.S. I will hereby dedicate my own deadlifts to your injured hammy until such time as you recover and start lifting 'em yourself again. Feel free to castigate me for lack of process on this lift. :)

Yeah man it was really fun playing. I can't explain how frustrating this injury is. Don't feel guilty about anything though...I love playing pretty much any sport, but one thing I can't do is play like a pansy. I am pretty competitive and it was fun while it lasted, but I wouldn't want to play if I had to hold up, or not go all out. That's too bad since it seemed like a great group of guys. Oh well, there are always Pilate concerts still eh?

Keep pushing on those deads man...I probably won't try them for at least 2 or 3 weeks so you got a bit of time to do some catchup...then I'll probably start off really light for another 3 weeks, so that gives you 6 weeks at least! ;)

I will be monitoring your progress... :)

ElPietro
08-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Oh forgot to mention I met up with Sav tonight and gave her some money for services rendered. :)

Supplements you perverts! tuttut

ElPietro
08-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Thought I'd try and go for a light workout today. Lat/shoulders.

HS High Rows:

180x8/180x8/300x4/250x6

*Felt like sh!t here. No energy.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x(10R/6L)

**It was easy on the right side, but on the left I noticed that there was still quite a bit of strain on my left supporting leg. I tried positioning my leg a couple different ways but could still feel grumbling from my hamstring so I just gave up. :(

Standing Military Press:

165x2/145x4

***Whatever. Just got fed up and walked away.

CG Pull Downs:

200x8/200x6

Pec Dec Reverse Flies:

rack x8/rack x8

Was pretty much fed up at this point. No energy, mentally wasn't in it. Was just limping around like a god damned idiot all day and might as well have skipped the bloody workout entirely. This f*cking leg better heal fast or I'm going to be one grumpy motherf*cker for quite some time. :mad: I don't know why I even bothered wasting powder on a post workout shake.

Found out that my brazilian jiu jitsu club is getting quite high profile now. Apparently Carlos Newton has started training there a couple days a week. The price has gone up considerably since last time I paid. As much as I like the place and the world class fighters that train there I'm guessing it's going to get quite crowded with the big names there, so I may just save myself some money and move on to some other place. I will be going back to grappling as soon as my leg allows me too...hopefully beginning of september. I've gotten too fat without any cardio so I may re-work things.

Savannah
08-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks El P, you were great;)

ElPietro
08-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Savannah
Thanks El P, you were great;)

Update: Was up at 5am this morning to get ready for 6:22am tee off time. This really sucked as I couldn't get to sleep last night. Golfed "OK", but almost had a hole in one on a short par 3. Bounced five feet from the cup, but the ball mark was less than 5 inches from the cup...so almost a slam dunk!

On a more serious note, my hamstring is starting to feel a bit better. I am barely limping and I think I can probably get away with some light stretching. I'll wait till tomorrows workout...and maybe do some time on the ellyptical, and then give it a light stretch while warm. Tonight will be another night off due to social obligations.

ElPietro
08-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Well I was planning on going to the gym after work but instead went out for some drinks afterwards instead. By the time I got back to my car it was 8pm and I was drained. The good thing was that I forced myself after some internal struggle to go anyway.

Today was chest/arms. Thought I'd change things a bit...workouts seem to be poor with this leg injury. Along with being tired and having not really eaten anything in about 5 hours other than beer, I didn't expect too much.

Today I learned that hitting yourself in the face with a 100lb dumbell is fun! :mad:

DB Bench:

100x5/90x8/90x8

*Heh, ok I was really dumb here. First rep I wasn't in a good position so as I was bringing the DBs up they were coming right back down. I didn't want to drop them so fortunately my face was there to cushion their fall. Didn't really feel anything though...and repositioned them and got 5 reps, which were difficult. I didn't think the 100s would give me grief, but I guess it takes at least one workout to get used to DBs instead of BBs so I guess with only a quick warmup set of 135 on bb bench I am lucky I didn't do anything worse. The DB hit me in the cheek and sat there for a couple seconds, in the end there was a nice puncture in my lip...more towards the inside and there was no blood showing on the outside...so I played it cool...I don't think anyone saw. :cool:

Incline Machine Press:

200x8/190x7/150x8/150x6

**Just adding a bit more volume to my routine. I will focus a bit more on hypertrophy for a bit. I may drop the reps and weight a bit and increase the number of sets further. I was taking much less rest time between sets too...although I don't ever really keep track, I go by feel, and noticed a big difference.

Pec Dec Flies:

130x8/120x7/120x6

50x7/50x6/40x6

***I wanted to move up to the 45lbers but some guy was using them for incline press, so I thought I'd see what the 50s feel like. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't feel too bad. I might go down to 45 for 3 sets but haven't made up my mind yet. I won't do bb curls for now as I find they cause me some discomfort.

Triceps Pushdown on Lat Pulldown:

95x8/95x7/85x7

****Much, much harder. After the first set I realized that I had forgotten skullcrushers...but just kept going anyway. These really killed my tris.

Reverse Cable Curls:

65x8/65x8

*****I actually tried some hammers with the 40s but my arms felt fried...so I just went for a quick couple light sets of these and they weren't easy either. :rolleyes:

Skullcrushers:

105x5

******Bleh. Ok my arms felt like they couldn't do anything else and didn't want to sacrifice form so just gave up. I will be working out on this more often until I can incoporate a proper leg day anyway.

Decided to test out my hamstring a bit. Jumped on the ellyptical and did 15 minutes at various low to mid level intensities. Everything felt pretty fine. The back of my leg would feel a bit tight if I focused on stretching it out and doing it with heels down and toes up but i guess that's normal anyway. No pain afterwards, did some very light stretching for a minute and that was it.

I might take 400mg of Ibuprofen now just to settle down any inflammation I may have induced but that's it.

Crappy workout but I am never in a proper workout mentality when hurt for some reason. Maybe I can overcome that and have some decent workouts.

rookiebldr
08-17-2002, 05:12 AM

Today I learned that hitting yourself in the face with a 100lb dumbell is fun! :mad:

DB Bench:

100x5/90x8/90x8

*Heh, ok I was really dumb here. First rep I wasn't in a good position so as I was bringing the DBs up they were coming right back down. I didn't want to drop them so fortunately my face was there to cushion their fall. Didn't really feel anything though...and repositioned them and got 5 reps, which were difficult. I didn't think the 100s would give me grief, but I guess it takes at least one workout to get used to DBs instead of BBs so I guess with only a quick warmup set of 135 on bb bench I am lucky I didn't do anything worse. The DB hit me in the cheek and sat there for a couple seconds, in the end there was a nice puncture in my lip...more towards the inside and there was no blood showing on the outside...so I played it cool...I don't think anyone saw. :cool:

lol, good save.

IceRgrrl
08-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Crappy workout but I am never in a proper workout mentality when hurt for some reason. Maybe I can overcome that and have some decent workouts.

Glad you lived through it ;) And yeah, it sucks to be slowed down but think of it as physiological stimulation that will speed your recovery and mental stimulation that will keep you in the routine and the mindset. Also, continuing to work out will keep you more mindful of diet and rest...all the pieces depend on each other.

*hugs*

ElPietro
08-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Awww...thanks schweethart. :)

Oh and Rookie, heh yeah it was a good save...next time I dunno if i'll use my face though. :D

MonStar
08-18-2002, 08:31 AM

50x7/50x6/40x6

Nice biceps strength LP. Didnt realize how strong you are man keep up the hard work. What kind of angle is the preacher curl bench on?

ElPietro
08-18-2002, 03:13 PM

What kind of angle is the preacher curl bench on?

Not sure...I'm guessing at least 45 degrees, maybe a bit steeper.

Today was lat/shoulder day. Again with the injury I'm just toying with new workout styles. Currently trying a bit higher volume.

HS High Rows:

110x8/110x6/240x6/240x6/230x6/230x6

Standing Military Press:

135x6/135x5/135x5

*Keeping my breaks short makes a big difference. The last rep on the 2nd set was more of a push press. I gave myself a bit more rest for the third set and it was 5 clean reps.

CG + WG Lat Pulldowns: (Alternating):

CG: 210x6/WG: 190x6/CG: 210x6/WG: 190x6

**I kept the form here very strict. I dunno if wide grip is truly wide grip. I took one of the wide grip bars and gripped it inside where the final 5 or 6 inches slant downwards. More for comfort than anything else.

DB Lateral Raise-DB Front Raise Giant Set:

30-20x10/30-20x8

***Ok what I did here was a set of 10 with the 30lb dumbells with strict form on lateral raise, followed directly by front db raises alternating arms. So that would be considered one set. After standing militaries my shoulders were shot and this giant set really set them on fire. Weight isn't as much of a concern as making sure form is perfect.

Seated Cable Row:

220x8/220x8

Reverse Pec Dec Flies:

rack x10/rack x10/rack x10

Well my shoulders really felt blasted at the end of this session. I went and sat down and gave a light massage/stretch to my hamstring and decided to work it a bit. Instead of the ellyptical I thought I'd give it a bit more challenge and went on the treadmill. Didn't do anything spectacular...just a bit of walking and fast walking for 20 minutes. Fast walking wasn't even that fast...if I went to high I believe I could feel some grumbling from my leg so I just kep things nice and easy. Stretched it a bit more aggressively afterwards, until I could feel where it would start to hurt just to check flexibility. It's not too bad.

Here is my hamstring rehab plan that I am thinking of:

1 more week of light treadmill/ellyptical + light stretching
2 weeks very light resistance isolation (some weight progression) + medium stretching
1 week of medium treadmill + increased weight resistance + medium stretching
2 weeks of hard treadmill + moderate weight + dynamic strengthening (stop/starts, figure 8 jogging, side shuffles, cuts) + aggressive stretching

When I get to week 3 or 4 and find that my hamstring strength is returning I will start doing leg days again. Probably nothing compound, more or less just leg extension, maybe some light leg press. Hopefully following this plan I should be back to a decent level in 6 weeks. Any significant soreness will be followed by icing and anti-inflammatories. If pain persists then I will start back at the previous training level and begin again. If this doesn't work to well I guess I'll have to go back for more physio.

ElPietro
08-26-2002, 08:58 PM
*blows dust off journal*

Well it's been over a week since I have ventured into the gym. I was planning on experimenting with an HST cycle as it is relatively light weight for the first two weeks, including a one week layoff before I even start. I figured this would be beneficial to help my minor injuries along with my leg a bit. I planned on taking a week to test my maxes and then going through with the Strategic Deconstruction period prior to starting. Unfortunately, I've been house shopping for the last 8 or 9 days and never made it into the gym, as I was driving all over the city looking at model homes and visiting sales offices and examining floor plans. My search is still on, although nearly over with. I decided that since I had taken the 9 or 10 days off already I'd allow that to be the SD phase, and I'd guess at what my maxes were. I'm gonna be off by a bit here and there...but I don't think the first couple sessions of the 15 rep phase are that critical.

So I actually managed to drag myself to the gym today. I had a half ass routine scribbled down on paper, with some rough guesses at what I should be lifting that would easily be performed at 15 reps.

Incline DB Press:

40x15/40x15

*Haha...I felt like such a retard pressing the 45s. I think people were confused as hell. They probably thought I was "toning". :p

Pec Dec Flies:

70x15

**Bleh. Whatever.

Standing Military Press:

65x15/65x12

***LMMFAO! Ok bah! I can't believe the olympic bar with a dime on either side was giving me problems in the second set. I could gotten to 15 but didn't want to go to failure as I understand that is not the goal here. I will maintain this weight next workout. Yes my muscular endurance sucks, especially my shoulders, it used to be a mega pain during thai boxing.

DB Lateral Raise:

20x15

Reverse Pec Dec:

60 or 70 x15

****Can't remember what I used. I'll know when I look at the rack next time. It was really easy in any case. Upping it won't be an issue.

Seated Cable Rows:

140x15/140x15

CG Pulldowns:

110x15

*****Damn...was supposed to do wide grip pulldowns. Oh well...I'll change it next time.

Ok...I just got an email as I was typing the above sentence. The email was some mortgage broker telling me I'm easily pre-approved for the mortgage I wanted. Please allow me to celebrate for one moment...

SWEET! YEAH BABY!!!! WOOT!!! HOME GYM!!! POOL TABLE!!! BARBECUES!!!
:study: :) :p :D :alcoholic :dj: :evillaugh :thumbup: :nod: :hump: :strong: :hello:

...ok...now back to the workout. :)

20x15/20x15

******LMAO. I just sorta stood there with this disinterested expression on my face and would roll my eyes occaisionally. Oh well...I guess I have to remember this is more for tendon and joing preperation than anything else. To me it's more like slightly active rest.

Overhead DB Extensions:

40x15/40x15

Well that's it. I had planned on doing some walking on the ellyptical or treadmill but I was in a rush to go visit a sales office for a sweet looking housing plan I saw on the net earlier. Workout took less than 40 minutes...but all the treadmills and ellypticals were taken so I just left.

The workout itself was boring and felt rather futile. I received more stares today for the girly weight I was using than most normal heavy days. :p I guess it will be hard to adjust to this scheme...but I need to stick with the plan otherwise I am not giving the routine it's proper chance. Perhaps in the end doing 5 rep maxes in the final cycle I will see some gains. Either way...it was good to at least be in the gym environment again. And now, I gots a house to buy. :D The one I visited today will be finished in september of next year...so plenty of time to envision the grand scheme...it comes with a finished basement and easily fits a pool table, couch and tv, along with a bar i will add in later...and two other smallish rooms I could use for gym space. So I am very happy right now.

Blood&Iron
08-26-2002, 09:10 PM

The workout itself was boring and felt rather futile.

Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I enjoy the initial, light weights. It really gives me a chance to focus on proper form and that tired cliche 'the mind muscle connection.' It's true, though. Pressing you 5 rep max, it's almost impossible(at least for me) to really focus on what's going on muscularly. At the beginning of the 15's, though, if I concentrate properly I can almost feel what every fiber of mulcle is doing.

PowerManDL
08-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Party at LP's house!

ElPietro
08-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I enjoy the initial, light weights. It really gives me a chance to focus on proper form and that tired cliche 'the mind muscle connection.' It's true, though. Pressing you 5 rep max, it's almost impossible(at least for me) to really focus on what's going on muscularly. At the beginning of the 15's, though, if I concentrate properly I can almost feel what every fiber of mulcle is doing.

Hey I'm sure it'll get better. But I think I'm the opposite. When I use really light weight I find that my form will suffer more, at least on pressing motions. Generally with a significant amount of weight you are required to keep things in the proper plane, otherwise you could lose balance, or hurt yourself in probably a number of other ways...or at least that's how I see it from my workouts. But I will stick with this program as much as my first home buying, soon to be broke in one year's time ass can manage. :)

And Matt....hell ya man! Start saving your gas money...there will be a steak on my new kickass barbecue when you arrive! Feel free to hitch hike! :p

PowerManDL
08-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey, I'm planning to be in the area December 27th or so for about a week.

Plan on remodeling afterwards.

IceRgrrl
08-27-2002, 04:55 AM

Ok...I just got an email as I was typing the above sentence. The email was some mortgage broker telling me I'm easily pre-approved for the mortgage I wanted. Please allow me to celebrate for one moment...

:clap: Yay! :)

ElPietro
08-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Hey, I'm planning to be in the area December 27th or so for about a week.

Plan on remodeling afterwards.

Oh, dude...the house isn't gonna be built till Sept. 2003! Not this year...if that were the case I would have had to buy last year...so much more of a wait. So...no party for you!

Relentless
08-27-2002, 07:18 AM
congratz on the house, P.

and anyone that gives you the hairy eyeball for lifting puny weights deserves a
SUPER TURBO NINJA CHOP!
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

MonStar
08-27-2002, 08:55 AM
Wow LP, not used to seeing sets of 15 reps in your workouts. Hehe, good for a change of pace though I guess. Hehe thats one thing that I hated about HST with the 15s - if I saw a guy I hadnt seen for a few years I was using LESS weight than I was years ago. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ElPietro
08-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Going nuts with this house crap. Toronto really does suck. To get a house I really do like I will be looking at an hour drive into work, mainly due to being on the suburb of the suburbs and the fact that the highway fookin sucks ass! :mad: I've been visiting sales offices all over the frickin place...I've gone from farmland areas to practically new cities springing up...this is getting really frustrating.

On the way home from house shopping I stopped at the gym. It was about 9pm when I got there.

Incline DB Press:

45x15/45x15 :rolleyes:

Pec Dec Flies:

70x15

*Should have increased this.

Seated Cable Rows:

I think I actually went down in weight but not sure. I believe I did: 130x15/130x15

**This is because I forgot to jot down my weights from last time out. I'm guessing it's not supercritical one time, and during the 15 rep phase but I'll have to make sure this doesn't continue. Still guestimating with the weight and I think 130 was good. I will go back to 140 next time.

Medium Wide Grip PullDowns:

100x15

***Grip is at the end of the wide grip bar...just before it slants downward.

25x15/25x15

Triceps Pushdown: (on lat pulldown pulley)

55x15/45x15

****Some guy was using the DB I needed for extensions so I went to the pulley. I know this isn't great for sticking to plan but it's still a work in progress.

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical. Stretched things out after that and everything felt fine. My legs I think are suffering from lack of use other than carrying my fat ass around. Next workout I'll go a bit harder or maybe on the treadmill, and then next time out some light resistance.

rookiebldr
08-29-2002, 10:27 PM
[B]
SWEET! YEAH BABY!!!! WOOT!!! HOME GYM!!! POOL TABLE!!! BARBECUES!!!
:study: :) :p :D :alcoholic :dj: :evillaugh :thumbup: :nod: :hump: :strong: :hello:

Finally a barbecue for lp.

and good luck on the HST program. It's definitely different.

ElPietro
09-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Made it to the gym today.

Incline DB Press:

50x15/50x15

Pec Deck Flies:

80x15

Seated Cable Rows:

140x15/140x15

*I'll keep this at 140 for another session before going up to 150.

Medium Grip Pulldowns:

110x15

Standing Military Press:

70x15/70x10

**Can't remember if it was 10 or 12 reps on set 2, so I just put down 10. Wasn't to failure which is the point, so I stopped short.

DB Lateral Raise:

25x10

***Blah. Guess I shouldn't have done them so quickly after millies, stopped before failure...was starting to get pretty tough.

25x15/25x15

****Wow. :rolleyes:

DB Shrugs:

70x15/70x12

*****Hadn't done anything for traps so I figured I'd add these in.

Triceps Pushdowns: (Lat machine)

55x15/55x15

After the workout I felt it's time to challenge my legs a bit more since I haven't stuck to my rehab plan very well. I did 5 minutes at pretty low intensity on the exercise bike, then 10 minutes of moderate to fast walking on the treadmill. After that thought I'd hit the muscles a bit, albeit extremely lightly.

Leg Extensions:

100x15/100x15

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise Thingy:

45x15/45x15

Lying Hamstring Curls:

30x15/30x15

*I did these extremely slow both eccentric and concentric. If there was anything that felt wrong I would stop. By rep 11 or 12 things started feeling warm but nothing adverse was happening so I was happy. I coulda done more I'm sure but I am just going to take things slow as planned.

Back Hypers:

BWx8

**Ok after 5 or 6 reps my hamstrings didn't really like this very much. So I stopped at 8 as I thought I had a quick second of pain. My lower back is still feeling it from that time I did the 475 deadlift, so I guess I have strained it. There is no bad pain or anything, and I'm guessing once I actually start working on it again things will iron themselves out. I was just happy to give my legs some small amount of stimulation. Legs will be worked as a unit each time out with the rest of my routine, but not necessarily according to the HST principles as I want to rehab them together, despite the injury only being to my hammy. I'd rather not have my quads overpowering them and then causing more injury later on when I'm actually lifting real weight.

ElPietro
09-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Made it to the gym yesterday.

5th of 6 in the 15 rm phase.

DB Incline Press:

55x15/55x15

*I am such a stud. :cool:

Pec Deck Flies:

90x15

Seated Cable Rows:

150x15/150x15

Wide Grip Pulldowns:

120x15

Standing Military Press:

75x15/75x15

DB Lateral Raise:

25x12

**Bah.

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl:

30x15/30x12

***Second set was tough. Not to failure on right arm but pretty damn close if not failure on left.

DB Shrugs:

75x15/75x12

Triceps Pushdown: (on lat pulley)

65x15/65x15

Reverse Pec Deck

90x15

Well that's that. Another week until I get to use "non frou frou weight". Jumped on the bike for 3 minutes and the ellyptical for another 3 minutes just to warm up my legs a bit.

Leg Extensions:

120x15/120x15

Lying Hamstring Curls:

40x15/30x15

*Did these extremely slow again. Everything felt tight, TUT was very long. No pain or aggravation though, so that is a good thing. Stretched things while warm and flexibility was very good and painless. Almost ready for the next rehab phase.

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise Thingy:

45x12/45x12

**Bah, I had a double calf cramp in the first set. Man did that hurt like a mofo. Like someone stabbed me in both legs. Had to stop at 12.

That's it for now. Haven't been sleeping well at all...maybe 7 hours total sleep in the last 2 nights. Too many thoughts going on in my head. Tonight I go to make an offer for the house. Hopefully everything goes well. I've had good news on our existing condo, and that we should get at least what we were hoping for when we sell it. So that's one demon laid to rest. Going cottaging this weekend...hopefully this will be a nice relaxing weekend. I'm feeling stressed.

Tryska
09-04-2002, 08:33 AM
I've had good news on our existing condo, and that we should get at least what we were hoping for when we sell it.

our?

we?

have you gone and married someone behind my back?

ElPietro
09-04-2002, 08:37 AM
No, my mother and I live together. It's all explained in my home gym thread in training.

Tryska
09-04-2002, 08:38 AM
doh...sorry. actually i knew that....now that i think about it.

alright then. :hello:

ElPietro
09-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Life Update: Went over to the sales office tonight. Things went really slowly. Our appointment started 40 minutes late so I just mulled over all the changes I wanted. After a gruelling 3 hours I was initialling and signing papers for about 20 more minutes. My offer seemed reasonable to the saleswoman, so the next step is for her to bring it to the builder. They will probably try and squeeze more out of me, or not allow certain upgrades, but my offer was less than I had thought I'd have to make, and for more upgrades than I thought I would get. So I'm feeling very happy, knowing that whatever the builder comes back with I can react to appropriately and counter offer within reason and secure my new house. If they accept my offer straight out that is just plain gravy. Anyway, I'll know their decision on saturday, so hopefully when I call from a friends cottage (preferably whilst sober) I will hear the simple phrase, "they accepted your offer" to which I will drink myself into blissful unconsciousness. :D We also decided not to add a wall in the basement, and to not take out a wall on the second floor...so now my basement has more space as I won't build a guest room there. So I definitely have room for a bar. :cool:

Man, I may actually get some decent sleep tonight. :)

Tryska
09-05-2002, 05:42 AM
well congrats on the first part, and good luck with the offer man.

you sound like a regular grownup and stuff.

ElPietro
09-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Why thank you Tina. :) And never think that I'm a grownup. tuttut ;)

Tryska
09-05-2002, 08:15 AM
oh yeah..that's right..grownups don't go around asking to see people's asses. ;)

rookiebldr
09-05-2002, 05:04 PM
ElPietro, good luck on the house offer. Does this mean you will be moving closer to work (i.e. the east end)?

ElPietro
09-08-2002, 03:07 PM
ElPietro, good luck on the house offer. Does this mean you will be moving closer to work (i.e. the east end)?

Nope, actually moving a bit further away. But since the place won't be built for a year I will probably look for a job in the west end sooner or later. Or downtown and take the go train.

Anyway, didn't get a chance to make any updates lately. Thursday I went to work, then to the gym after work, then home to eat and shower and the go work as a bouncer at my old university bar. Got home at almost 4am, had friday off and headed up to a friends cottage.

Man bouncing sucked...had to kick a few people out, and restrain force people out with some force. One guy tried to pull out some foldable scissors too, but those were removed from him by someone else. I was remarkably restrained considering I could have legally applied quite a bit of punishment to this young man's body for trying to pull an object out. Oh well...whatever.

My workout was the last of the 15 rep cycle of HST. I believe I remember most of it.

DB Incline Press:

65x15/65x12

*Meant to do the 60s but they were being used...65s weren't bad and I prolly should have used them anyway. Not sure how many reps I had on the last set. I know it was at least 12 so I put that down.

Pec Deck Flies:

100x15

Seated Cable Rows:

160x15/160x15

**Think I used 160. Man I shoulda wrote this down...or entered into my journal before I left friday.

Wide Grip Pulldowns:

130x15

Standing Military Press:

85x15/85x13

DB Lateral Raise:

25x14

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl:

35x15/35x10

DB Shrugs:

80x15/80x12

Triceps Pushdown: (On Lat Pulley)

75x15/75x15

Warmed up my legs a bit on the bike and then moved on to some more leg rehab stuff.

[B]Leg Extensions:

130x15/190x15

*Yeah, quads are ok...I will maybe do another session or too and go a bit harder on the hammy and then start doing some compounds again. Prolly just start out with some light squats and add in leg press as well.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

50x15/40x12

**Actually, I can't remember exactly what weight and reps I did here. This is logically what I think I would have done but I'll find out next time I try.

Leveraged Seated Calf Raise Thingy:

45x12/45x12

Tomorrow I'll start with 10 rep sets.

the doc
09-08-2002, 03:15 PM
is this a HIT workout?

ElPietro
09-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by the doc
is this a HIT workout?

No, HST.

the doc
09-08-2002, 03:44 PM
oh so are you gettin ghypertrophy

ElPietro
09-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Ok so I've been sick with the flu since sunday night. Haven't been to work in a couple days now, and it's been a week tomorrow since I've been to the gym. I guess that's not a good thing when trying HST since it's based on frequency. I was just about to begin the 10 rep phase, but I guess with a week off maybe it would be a good idea to have one more session of 15 rep max sets just to get back to where I was before I start with the 10 reppers. The first few days of 10 rep sets will be light as well so this should ease me into things as well as can be given the situation. If any other HSTers have a better suggestion I'm open to it. I'm hoping I'll be ok tomorrow to have a session. Right now I still feel a bit like hammered shite.

Good news is I got my offer back and they only tried to rape another $4k outta me...so I counter-offered splitting the dif and should have a done deal by saturday. All the ugrades I wanted were approved which pleased me...I didn't think they'd let me purchase my own granite from an outside source for them to lay in the foyer. Usually builders are pricks when it comes to stuff like that. :)

rookiebldr
09-11-2002, 11:03 PM
If any other HSTers have a better suggestion I'm open to it. I'm hoping I'll be ok tomorrow to have a session. Right now I still feel a bit like hammered shite.

I think this is what has kept me from missing any workouts, although I haven't suffered from the flu yet to keep me away. These last 6 weeks on HST has definitely been close to my most consistent esp. after the negatives.

Unfortunately, I have no better suggestions, maybe Blood&Iron has come across this or you could post the questions in the HST forums.

ElPietro
09-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Well I was still feeling like poop today, so didn't make it to the gym. :( Tomorrow I think I will go back to my last 15 rep max session and then start 10 rep max on monday.

Although, on the good news front, it seems that we've sold the condo we live in. This is pretty cool, since we got exactly what we wanted, and set up the sale for late next year, with us having the power to adjust the closing date as we see fit as long as we give 60 days notice. So if the builder is delayed we won't be without a place.

*rubs hands* Everything is going as I have planned... :evillaugh

PowerManDL
09-12-2002, 08:19 PM
http://216.40.241.68/otn/happy/thebirdman.gif

IceRgrrl
09-13-2002, 10:38 AM
It's all coming together then, eh? Must feel good :)

ElPietro
09-16-2002, 07:13 AM
It's all coming together then, eh? Must feel good :)

Ok, well I'm really quite disgusted with myself. Sure I've been sick, and I still don't feel 100% yet, but I shoulda been able to make it to the gym at least once in the last week and a half. :(

Now I pretty much have to do at least 2 sessions of 15 rep training to get back to being ready for the 10 rep HST phase. I also will be focusing on getting cardio and max VO2 optimized for a return to martial arts. I will probably just go back to thai boxing as I found it the best for conditioning, and if they still offer grappling I may take that too.

Diet has also been garbage so that needs to get put in check. I can't believe how far I've let myself go. I would be willing to pay someone to come to Toronto and beat the living sh!t out of me right now. If anyone is willing please let me know and we'll work out a fee. Cal you're close by, how bout it?

Anyway, as usual my mood is disgust and anger with myself. Hopefully I can start channeling this into my routine, although lifting at 15 rep weight will probably only make me angrier...but I guess I'd only get even worse if I didn't at least follow through with my convictions to try HST.

Relentless
09-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Diet has also been garbage so that needs to get put in check. I can't believe how far I've let myself go. I would be willing to pay someone to come to Toronto and beat the living sh!t out of me right now. If anyone is willing please let me know and we'll work out a fee. Cal you're close by, how bout it?

I will do this for free. ;) I actually bought a new crowbar on the weekend that I've been dying to try out on something squishier than stubborn nails.

ElPietro
09-16-2002, 07:26 AM
Excellent. :)

rookiebldr
09-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Callahan,

If you need any help with the big guy then count me in. I'm close too.

Relentless
09-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Nah, I should be ok. ;)
He's big and tough, but his slacking in the gym has made him soft and squishy.

IceRgrrl
09-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Setbacks happen...don't get too upset about it, just get right back into your routine and take it out on the weights!

Oh, and I'd be happy to help out with the a$$-kicking ;)

ElPietro
09-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Ha! It's funny, if I would have asked for some kind of advice, I doubt anyone would have replied. Yet when I ask people to come kick my ass, an unruly mob shows up at the steps to my journal.

I can seriously feel the love here. ;)

Well so far diet has been perfect today, and I'm heading to the gym in about 5 minutes...so [Baseball Cliche]I'm just going to take things one day at a time.[/Baseball Cliche]

Relentless
09-16-2002, 04:04 PM
You don't need advice. You know well enough what you need to do.

Whereas you clearly DO need an ass-kicking, the better to get you DOING what you know you need to be doing.

ElPietro
09-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Well made it against all odds to the gym. I was jittery all day, since I hadn't been taking any EC stack for the past 2-3 weeks, the first day is always pretty bad. It's tought to sit at my desk most of the day and I found myself tapping my feet, fidgeting, and almost pulled the top of my desk off once.

Thought I'd backtrack to weight that would put me at the 5th day of 15s and work my way from there.

DB Incline Press:

60x15/60x12

*This felt ok, pretty tired on the 12th rep of the second set. The problem with this workout is the fact that the cough and breathing problems from having the flu hadn't quite gone away, so I was really short of breath, hacking, and almost puking after each set. :(

Pec Deck Flies:

100x15

Seated Cable Rows:

150x15/150x12

Wide-Grip Pulldowns:

120x15

Standing Military Press:

75x15/75x12

DB Side Laterals:

20x12

**Did these with almost straight arms. Slight bend to them...much harder, also kept things slow so no cheating at all.

30x15/30x10

***Feeling really sick at this point. Couple coughs had me looking for the bucket but I managed to keep everything down.

Triceps Pushdowns on Lat Pulley:

65x15/65x15

DB Shrugs:

75x15/75x12

****Did these nice and slow with a pause at the top.

Reverse Pec Deck:

100x15/100x12

*****I felt like I was going to black out.

Well, it's a good thing to get back into the gym. But it's a bad thing to go in there first day back on an EC stack, sick with breathing and hacking problems after a week and a half layoff. I tried to keep intensity pretty high despite only being 15 rep work, and I was pretty beat at the end. Felt too sick, so I didn't bother starting anymore leg rehab or cardio. I may go tomorrow for that, or save it for my next workout. After a couple light days on legs I will start to aggressively work the quads and calves again, and will also step up the pace with the hamstring. When I see strength getting close to 100% on isos, I'll start some dynamic work to make sure everything is stable. Also, I will be trying to stretch more frequently and intensely as well. Might as well get some flexibility back before I go back to martial arts. Bit of a crap session, but I guess going is a much better alternative to sitting on my fat ass for another week. Diet has been right on so far today, I'll start posting food again, but will do it in the morning for a complete list.

ElPietro
09-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Yesterday's food intake:

2 caps Xenadrine
250g Light Cottage Cheese
1 EC (12.5mg ephedrine/200mg Caffeine)
Nitro-Tech Bar
30 Plain Almonds
2 Chicken Breasts
Sun-Rype Fruit/Veggie Bar
Pork Chop
Corn on the cob
2 small Octoberfest Sausages
1 Protein Shake (EAS Simply Whey)

Caloric totals:

~2900 Calories/280g protein/150g carbs/130g fat
~ Percentage Caloric Breakdown 40/20/40 (P/C/F)

This is a good start for me. I have not read up on any cyclical or refeed diets, but I know I have always had good results when I have made sure that I get proper protein intake. Generally, when focused on protein, carbs tend to be much lower, so this may also contribute to better results. Although, I am pretty much ignorant to most of the research on carb refeeds, I have a rudimentary understanding and it seems to fit with my potential eating habits. I think my best shot is to control my eating habits during the week as far as controlling carbs is concerned, and then allow myself to splurge a bit on them on friday and saturday.

Well this is day one...if I could ever even get a remote handle on my eating habits I would probably look pretty impressive. Unfortunately, this has always been a problem for me despite noticing significant results when I have successfully dieted in a short amount of time. I'm sure when I start martial arts again that I will be burning a ton of cals and that should reduce bodyfat, but I'd rather be able to do it with diet manipulation, as I can't keep up such high activity levels forever.

Ah well...baby steps. :)

Relentless
09-17-2002, 08:11 AM
Good work, mate! Keep with it.

The breathing issues may be because the pollution indices here in Toronto have been shite the last couple of days. Don't sweat that.

Also: I'm not big on pushing diets on other people, and I'm not 100% sold on the efficacy of this one, but I can verify that I went from 255 to 225 on the Blood Type diet. Might want to peek at that one... lots of good options for food and it sorta forces you to eat a wider variety of foods. I can discuss/advise at your convenience.

ElPietro
09-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Thanks Scott, a couple obstacles though, I'm not 100% sure of my blood type. I think both my parents were the same blood type, which means I SHOULD be that blood type as well, but I don't remember any tests on it. Also, I can't remember what type it was, but I remember having Tryska look up what I should be eating, and it was basically telling me to be a vegetarian. Now this would be a very tough pill to swallow, considering I'm a meatatarian. There are only a handful of vegetables I will eat and even then I don't really enjoy them too much, and most of them aren't of the green leafy type that is probably best.

For me to make that kind of a change would be a much bigger leap in discipline than simply controlling my current eating habits.

And yeah, the pollution has been piss poor lately, add to that I already had a cough, and was wheezing from my congested chest from the flu and felt a bit jittery from the EC, it made for a really crappy workout.

rookiebldr
09-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Well done on the 15's ElPietro. Seems like a good way to get back into the HST routines and recover a bit before hitting the 10's. Once you get going, I'm sure that the motivation will be there. Just need to get feeling better, so look after yourself.

ElPietro
09-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Thanks rookie. :)

Went again tonight to hit legs since I missed them yesterday. Managed to get some cough medicine and felt a lot better today.

Started with a 10 minute warmup on the ellyptical to warm things up. Then decided I'd be a bit more aggressive in my leg training and incorporate light weight on leg press and move to moderate if there was no discomfort.

Leg Press:

I'll list the weight in total plates as I'm too lazy to add.

6 plates x 15/8 plates x 15/10 plates x 10/ 12 plates x5

*I was very happy with this. It looks like quad strength hasn't dropped too much. I used to start with 16 plates for 5 or 6 reps and then take a plate off each side for each following set. Although, that was generally after squats. I coulda kept going with 12 plates on there but didn't wanna push it. I also didn't give my normal time break between sets, as one of the bigger guys at the gym worked in with me for a bit. He only did a few reps with 5 plates a side though. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was lifting light to rehab my leg. :)

Also supersetted calves on the leg press as well.

Single Leg Calf Raise:

8 plates x 10/10 plates x 10

** I think I did 10. Coulda been 15 on the first set. No biggie, it's just calves. Did everything pretty slow with the other leg completely away from the sled so no assist.

Quad Extensions:

200x15/220x10

***Did these sets really quick...works up quite a burn towards the end of the set. Was feeling pretty wobbly after.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

40x15/60x10/80x3

****I was happy with this. The set of 40 I did really, really slow, about 3 - 5 seconds just for the eccentric portion. The set of 60 I did exploding through the ROM, basically kicking myself in the ass with the padded bar. The last set with 80 felt heavy but doable. I stopped at 3, not because I felt pain, but because I was satisfied with what I had accomplished and figured I'd quit while I was ahead. I can't rehab and regain all my strength in one workout so why push it further. When I was 100% I was using 90 for 8 or 100 for 5-8 reps, so I should be there in a couple weeks.

Leveraged Seated Calf Raise:

45x8/45x8/45x8?

*****Can't remember if I did the third set or not. It's just calves and I'm not worried about their state right now so no biggie.

Well that's that. Tomorrow will be my second time on the final day of 15 rep max. Then I'll drop to 10 reps, which will probably actually be easier the first few workouts. I've never really trained in the high rep range so 15s aren't my forte no matter how much weight is on them. I'll be glad to be rid of them. :)

ElPietro
09-18-2002, 07:22 AM
Diet yet again was pretty well on point yesterday. :)

Here's the food I ate, in order eaten throughout the day:

20 Plain Almonds
Apple
Labrada Lean Body MRP
2 Chicken Breasts (about an hour in between eating each)
20 Almonds
Sun-Rype Fruit and Veggie bar
Nitro-Tech Bar
Workout
Gym Protein shake (canned)
Steak w/mushrooms & onions
Protein Shake (EAS)

Well I wasn't sure how many cals to include for the fried mushrooms and onions I had with my steak. The actual food isn't much but the oil it's cooked in counts for more...so I added in a tablespoon.

Macro breakdown is as follows: (P/C/F)

Cals: ~ 2940 1228/504/1082
= 307g/146g/120g
~ 44%/18%/38%

I'm basically trying to keep carbs around or under the 150g mark for the week, and then I'll jack em up on friday and saturday. Unless I focus on macro breakdown I generally get a very small amount of protein on a day to day basis...so I think this is the main benefit of me keeping tabs on everything.

Feeling some DOMS in a variety of places, probably because I haven't worked out much the last two weeks, and haven't trained my legs really in probably a month or so.

Was waiting outside my building last night and some guy came up to me and asked if I was hunting someone. I was like wtf? Then he told me he thought I was a cop. Then when I said I wasn't, so then he asked if I was building security. I started laughing. Three 23 floor buildings and I'm probably the only white guy in the whole complex, and when I stand outside the building waiting to be picked up by a friend I'm thought of as a cop or security guard. :p It makes me laugh when crap like this happens. I remember when some bars stopped having smoking areas, I'd go stand outside to have a smoke and people would start handing me their IDs. :D

Oh well...general ramblings aside I've now successfully dieted two days in a row. This constitues a "streak". I must now focus on keeping the "streak" alive. :rolleyes:

Relentless
09-18-2002, 02:43 PM
For me to make that kind of a change would be a much bigger leap in discipline than simply controlling my current eating habits.

And yeah, the pollution has been piss poor lately, add to that I already had a cough, and was wheezing from my congested chest from the flu and felt a bit jittery from the EC, it made for a really crappy workout.

Perhaps the most useful thing I got out of the diet was analyzing what I ate and giving up certain common sources of food.

Suggestion:
Try eliminating tomatoes, chicken, corn and wheat from your diet entirely. Simply giving up these 4 foods will radically alter how you approach eating. It's cool.

ElPietro
09-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Just wondering why I would want to eliminate these foods? Did you randomly select them? Out of all that I would say the only thing I commonly eat is chicken. In fact I've had it every day for lunch now. I don't understand why it would be on the list though. I don't like fish btw, so I have less substitutes for poultry than others. Tomatoes I only eat if it is included in a sauce of some kind, corn is a very occaisonal thing, maybe once every couple months, and wheat, well I guess when I eat bread but other than that not sure how much wheat I eat. Beer doesn't count does it? :p

Relentless
09-18-2002, 02:58 PM
those 4 foods are ones that are fairly common in causing food allergies and are generally ranked as 'not good for you' in most if not all of the blood types. I KNOW there are lots of holes in the theory and I'm not promoting it as the be all and end all.

BUT..

as I said #1 it will make you more conscious of what you're eating

#2 it is actually kind of difficult to eat in many restaurants while avoiding all of these 4

Wheat - not just bread; also pasta, breaded meats, bagels, burger buns, muffins, cereals, etc, etc, etc.

Corn - corn chips, tacos, corn on the cob, lots of cereals, etc.

Tomatoes - yes sauces, but also salads, ketchup, many other things

Chicken - often the default 'healthy choice'; makes healthy eating harder when you're out which makes you work even harder at the control portion of the diet

Substitutes:
wheat - gluten-free or wheat-free breads & pastas
chicken - turkey; lean beef (I'd say fish, but you aren't a fish guy)
tomatoes - no need to sub, usually...
corn - again, no need to sub usually.

Walk down any aisle at the supermaket and you can be virtually guaranteed of finding one of these in any food aisle.

ElPietro
09-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Ok, I don't understand how something like chicken is bad for me, but even if I accept that fact, I don't like the philosophy behind the diet. It seems like it is the opposite of what someone would want to do. You are saying it makes it much more difficult to eat in a restaurant...so when you are out with friends or it is simply not convenient to have a meal with you, you automatically are going to be breaking your diet. Once you start breaking your diet it all goes down hill from there. I'd prefer a diet based on macro breakdown, as it is still eating smart, and allows for some leeway in what you eat. It is easier to adhere to, and in my opinion effective. I'm not sure how much faith I place in blood type diets. I guess they've been around for a while, and it seems the only people that I have heard promoting them are naturopaths that work in herb stores. Maybe they work, but until there is a good reason for me to believe it I dunno if I'm willing to make dieting even harder and even less enjoyable when I can do it the way I am now and have some semblance of humanity still. Are you still on this diet? Just curious if you aren't why you stopped. You said you had gains, but where you already eating healthy and watching your diet before? It would be easy to see results if you had excess bodyweight and then used even the shoddiest of diets, as any improvement would be better than none. Right now, in my state, most diets probably would work too...but I might as well try something I THINK I can stick with. Ah well...thanks for the thought anyway...and any further info you can provide would be appreciated. I won't be going out and buying1 a blood type diet book though.

Allow me to now digress to my workout today. Final day of 15 rep exercises...again.

Incline DB Press:

65x15/65x12

*This was pretty tough. Pretty much all my upper body was in a state of slight DOMS, so I'm guessing not being fully recovered would have an impact on my lifts. Oh well...I pushed it here and it was all good.

Pec Deck Flies:

110x15

Seated Cable Rows:

160x15/160x12

Standing Military Press:

85x15/85x12

DB Lateral Raise:

20x12

**Again, done with nearly straight arm, strict form, no jerking about.

Single Arm DB Preachers:

35x12/35x8

***Bleh. I think my arms were still exhausted, or just weak.

75x15/75x12

WG Pulldown:

130x15

****Forgot to do these after the rows. I am pretty sure I did 15 reps, but I am starting to wonder if I only did 12. Bleh, no big deal on this one.

Reverse Pec Deck Rear Delt Flies:

110x15/110x15

DB Shrugs:

80x12/80x12

Legs: Active Recovery

Leg Extensions:

150x15

Lying Hamstring Curls:

40x15

Did a couple minutes of stretching and that was it. Tomorrow will be a rest day. Diet was pretty good today, I'll post it tomorrow.

Mystic Eric
09-19-2002, 04:18 AM
For a guy that's 500 pounds, you sure push light weight :D

ElPietro
09-19-2002, 06:58 AM
Eric I am only toning right now. I don't want to get big.

Had 9 holes of golf this morning...was up at about 5am, although tee off wasn't until 6:40am. Round went well until the last 3 holes. :mad: It's funny how, no matter how well you start...you will always end at roughly the same bloody score each time out.

Yesterday's Food Intake:

250g 1% Cottage Cheese
Chicken Breast
Chicken Fried Rice (Went out to a restaurant for lunch. Don't know the exact quantity but it was a heaping plate...so I accounted for 3 cups, which works out to almost 1k cals.)
Chicken Breast
Workout
Labrada Lean Body MRP
30 plain almonds
Protein Shake (EAS)

Macro Breakdown: (P/C/F)

~2400 Calories 253g/162g/77g
~ Cals: 1012/612/691
~ 44%/26%/30%

The chicken fried rice kept me full most of the afternoon. Had the second chicken breast about 45 minutes before my workout, and the shake about 25 minutes afterwards. The almonds killed the hunger pangs I had a little bit later, and the protein shake before bed got my protein up to around where I want it. So, although, I had one big calorie dense meal, I managed to stay around the calories I want. Maybe a tad low, but all I had around me were foods with carbs, and I was already over what I wanted to consume for carbs for the day, so I just stuck it out.

Today is a rest day. I think the DOMS fairy visited my legs last night too.

ElPietro
09-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Yesterdays food intake:

Apple (before morning golf)
Peanut butter and jam sangwich, wheat bread
Nitro-tech bar
Peanut butter and jam sangwich, wheat bread
30 plain almonds
Labrada Leanbody MRP
Steak :)
Cheese omelet

Macro Breakdown: p/c/f

~ 224/183/110
~ 2635 cals: 896/635/991
~ 36%/25%/39%

Carbs were a tad higher than they should have been but I was awake for a longer period of time and the added carbs were probably just from the big apple I had before golf. I was hungry later in the evening and didn't think my planned protein shake would do the trick so I had a cheese omelette instead. One whole egg with some egg whites and some big chunks of cheese. I may have not gotten the amount right for my calorie estimation but total cals should still be under my calorie ceiling of 3k anyway.

I think I will make this a rest day and then start the 10s on saturday.

Relentless
09-20-2002, 07:26 AM
For the record, I'm still on the diet. Slightly modified based on my experience and a little experimentation, but basically intact.

I won't get all preachy, but I would ask you to examine your statement of "Once you start breaking your diet it all goes down hill from there." and perhaps re-evaluate it.

ANyway, I totally hear you about the desire to find something that's easy to stick to and I can't see the point in regurgitating some admittedly dodgy naturopath theories for the sake of having you disagree with them. :D

But what I think might prove to be an interesting exercise would be to go and see a naturopath to be tested for food allergies. Just to see what foods with which your body seems to react poorly.

ANyway, good luck with whatever diet you choose to stick to, mate.

ElPietro
09-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Cal thanks for the response I appreciate it. I understand where you are coming from. My point on not sticking to diets is more of a "me" thing. When I slide I generally slide for a while. I have a great many allergies, of the food ones I can remember, I had a bunch of mild allergies to a variety of fish, but I don't eat that so it's no biggie. Don't remember what else, but basically, what I'm trying to say is that the current method of diet I am on now shouldn't be that hard to stick to, yet I still find it a struggle at times. So perhaps looking to further complicate things with a blood type diet may only be a waste of time. I'll just take things one step at a time. I feel like I can achieve my goals with the current methods, however, if I can't then I'd be open to new things. But no point moving on to something new until I've actually managed to stick to the current regime. That was all I was trying to say...not that I disregard naturopathy all together.

ElPietro
09-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Well today is day one of the 10s.

Incline DB Press:

60x10/60x10

Peck Deck:

100x10

Cable Rows:

150x10/150x10

WG Pulldowns:

120x10

Standing Millies:

85x10/85x10

DB Lateral Raise:

20x10

30x10/30x8

Triceps Pushdowns on Lat Pulley

55x10/55x10

BB Shrugs:

265x10/265x10

*Changed from DB Shrugs. DBs only go to 120 and there are no DBs between 100 and 120. So for the sake of increased progression without a ceiling of 120 a side, I decided to go to BB.

Reverse Pec Deck:

110x10/110x10

That's it for that. Decided to punish my legs again, and see if I had progressed since last time out.

45 Degree Leg Press:

8 plates x10/10 plates x10/12 plates x10

*Well that was pretty good. Last time I stopped at 5 I think on the last set. This time I made it to 10. I got up and considered putting on another plate on each side but didn't.

Lying Hamstring Curl:

girly warmup weight x6/70x8/60x10

**70 felt a bit heavy still so I stopped at 8. 60 felt light though and I went to ten. Maybe my tempo was off at first making the first heavy set tough? Ah well whatever.

I seriously contemplated doing some deadlifts at this point. Other than the fact that I felt too lazy to go load up a bar I was gonna. Decided to let the leg heal up again and then next exercise I'll do em.

Leg Extensions:

200x10/220x10

Bleh, legs felt like jelly now so I felt like I had done my job well today. :)

Before the gym today I stopped by another martial arts club I might join. They have 5 or 6 pro fighters, that fight out of this club. The club teaches brazilian jiu jitsu, thai boxing, and shotokan karate. I might consider taking all 3 at once if I can manage it, as I have a background in all 3. Well not shotokan, but kempo, bleh, karate is karate at the lower levels. I'm going to spend the next week focusing on getting ready for martial arts. I will keep my HST workouts the same, but may train legs a bit differently to allow me to still do some cardio with the focus of getting my wind back and also focus more on my hip flexibility as well.

IceRgrrl
09-21-2002, 04:13 PM
Looks like you're back at it with a vengeance :) Nice job!

Did you find that you missed martial arts during this time? It sounds like you're looking forward to getting back to it.

ElPietro
09-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I find that I often have pent up aggression that I generally would be able to release during martial arts, or at least by lifting heavy at the gym. Right now, now martial arts, and no heavy lifts...so I often find myself snapping on people a lot more often. Perhaps it's all just the house stress. Should be over and done with soon though. Also, without martial arts I don't really do much cardio...so it has a negative impact on bf unless I keep a handle on diet, which I generally haven't in the past.

ElPietro
09-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Made it to the gym. Day two of 10s.

Inclinde DB Bench:

65x10/65x10

Pec Deck:

110x10

*I may double up on these sets from now on. Feels like no volume whatsoever.

Seated Cable Rows:

160x10/160x10

WG Pulldowns:

130x10

Standing Military Press:

95x10/95x10

DB Lateral Raise:

25x10

35x10/35x10

Triceps Pushdown on Lat Pulley:

65x10/65x10

Reverse Pec Deck:

120x10/120x10

I did not do shrugs this time out. Why, you may ask? Well I felt it was time to start getting accustom to some compounds on the lower body again, so the time had finally come to do some squats and deadlifts. I was practically quivering with anticipation. I jumped on the bike for a few minutes and then spent another few minutes stretching things out.

Squats:

135x6 ATF/225x3

*Well I had never gone that low before. Basically, my body would not go any lower than I did the first set. The second set felt kinda heavy and I was lazy so decided just to leave things be as legs haven't really recovered from saturday's heavish workout. It was just nice to get under the bar. :)

Speed Deadlifts:

135x6/225x6/315x6

**Oh man, I felt like a hundred bucks after doing these! :D It felt damned good to be doing deadlifts again. Although, it is really only warmup weight, I did these very explosively, creating quite a ruckus of sound as I'd smash the plates into the ground and immediately rip it back up. Was catching my breath after three plates and was eyeing some more 45s. A little voice in my head told me to quit while I was ahead and not try to do everything at once. So it was great to deadlift again, albeit girly poundage, but it flew up, so I think 4 plates shouldn't be a difficulty next time out. I don't think I'll go back into the single rep weight for a bit though.

Jumped on the ellyptical for a gruelling 20 minutes. I pushed it pretty hard and my quads were burning nicely in the end. Stretched again and that was all she wrote.

Diet has been perfect today. :) I'll post food intake tomorrow.

On a non-training note, I think everything is about to close with the house. I now am approved from two seperate places for the mortgage, our last offer was accepted by the builder, and my lawyer didn't have any problems with the purchase agreement. As of wednesday, I will officially be the owner of the pile of dirt. I might even get a good nights sleep this week. :)

I think I'll rehab for another week or two and go back to martial arts. I would have to pay a big lump sum to train at the really good place, and I'm not sure how long I'd stay, so I am considering just going back to my thai boxing gym. It's probably the best, conditioning-wise, but probably the worst to get me ready if I wanted to compete ever in MMA. I'll see what kinda ground training they are doing, hopefully they have a decent class.

That is all for now.

ElPietro
09-24-2002, 07:55 AM
Food intake for yesterday:

250g 1% Cottage Cheese
2 Chicken Breasts (eaten ~an hour apart)
30 plain almonds
Nitro-tech bar
Sun-Rype Fruit and veggie bar
Workout
Protein shake (EAS) w/glycocarb
Steak
7 chocolate chip cookies :(

Totals: p/c/f

Cals: 2629 1097/592/824
%: 44%/24%/33%
grams: 274g/158g/92g

Well this worked out in the end. I was hungry after I ate and didn't feel like more almonds...so some relatively freshly made cookies were just sitting there in plain site. Fortunately, it fit within my dietary constraints for the day, although, i was hoping to maybe start cutting carbs a bit more.

ElPietro
09-25-2002, 08:03 AM
Here's my food intake for yesterday. Diet slipped a bit, but I had planned for it, so carbs were cut a bit stricter during the day so that I could fit everything into my daily totals knowing I'd be eating out.

Apple
2 Chicken Breasts (eaten an hour apart)
20 plain almonds
Nitro-Tech Bar

That was it for the day. Went to a pool hall so I will be guestimating macro totals roughly.

Steak Sub + Beer (3 pints)

At least I didn't eat the side of fries that came with it. :)

Caloric Totals: p/c/f/alcohol

Cals: 2591 849/704/524/458
%: 34%/28%/21%/18%
Grams: 212/188/58/65

So in the end stayed well within my caloric limit, however, the alcohol didn't help, and the big meal after a long period of no eating probably wasn't all that great. But it could have been worse.

Relentless
09-27-2002, 07:27 AM
thanks for coming out to the Pilate gig last night, mate!

sorry we weren't able to stick around to chat after, but the long drive to Barrie loomed large

(hope your buddy Scott liked it too -- get him to buy a CD if he liked the music! :) )

ElPietro
09-27-2002, 07:37 AM
thanks for coming out to the Pilate gig last night, mate!

sorry we weren't able to stick around to chat after, but the long drive to Barrie loomed large

(hope your buddy Scott liked it too -- get him to buy a CD if he liked the music! :) )

It was a great show! No biggie on having to leave. It was late anyway, and I wanted to get home, and I'm sure you wanted to get on your way with the drive.

My buddy isn't a big fan of the "not-to-hard" type of rock, but he said that he felt they were really talented in all aspects, especially guitar, just that he likes more of a hard rock sound. He also doesn't like radiohead, so I guess Pilate has a bit of a radiohead vibe to them. I keep forgetting to buy a CD. Next time remind me when I get there.

Yesterdays workout to follow.

ElPietro
09-27-2002, 08:03 AM
Day 3 of the 10s.

Incline DB Press:

70x10/70x10

Pec Deck Flies:

120x10/120x10

*Added a set in here just to up the volume a tad.

Seated Cable Rows:

170x10/170x10

WG Pulldowns:

140x10/140x8

**Added a set here so my back wouldn't get jealous of my chest.

Standing Military Press:

105x10/105x10

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8

Single Arm DB Preachers:

40x10/40x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

85x10/85x10

***Ooops. I went up to quick on this exercise. I wrote the wrong poundage down on the sheet I brought, so I upped it to 85, but shoulda been 75. Ah well...I just keep going from there anyway.

Reverse Pec Deck:

120x10/120x10

Heavier Leg Rehab/Testing:

Deadlifts:

135x6/225x3/315x3/365x3

*Woo! I felt pretty good here. I know it's still feminine warmup weight, but I was eyeing more weight, but thought I'd just take it slow again. Next time out I'll go to 4 plates. Felt damned good to do some moderate weight deadlifts again. :)

Leg Press:

10 plates x10/12 plates + 2 25s x8

**Feeling stronger each time out. I go down all the way with these. I laugh when I see skinny punks putting lotsa plates on and then supporting their quads with their arms go down about 6 inches and then back up. I need to start squatting now. Quad strength is getting closer to 100%. Hips are probably going to be weak, along with glutes.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

50x10/80x10/80x10

***Was very encouraged by this. Hamstring feels like it is close to 100% as well. Other than some dynamic work, I would say that all parts are functioning within normal ranges now. :)

55x10/55x10

That's all there is to that. Took quite a bit of time with all the exercises and added leg workout, but I felt great afterwards.

Diet was really clean yesterday until I went to watch the band, where I had 5 or 6 beers and a street vendor sausage when I left. I am sure I came in under my calorie totals though as I hadn't eaten all that much that day.

Wednesday was a cheat day. There is nothing I can disguise it as. Carbs were close to 300 grams and protein only around 100-120. Calories were still within my daily range though...so I guess that is a good thing.

Oh also, my gym membership expired yesterday...so that's more dough I need to fork out now. :swear:

Relentless
09-27-2002, 08:09 AM
good to hear your hammy is recovered! I still feel a bit bad about that...

I'd have thought that with all the martial arts you do, you'd have had spectacular flexibility. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how well you train and how much you prepare, you can still get sidelined and frustrated by freak injuries.

rookiebldr
09-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Day 3 of the 10s.

Deadlifts:

135x6/225x3/315x3/365x3

*Woo! I felt pretty good here. I know it's still feminine warmup weight, but I was eyeing more weight, but thought I'd just take it slow again. Next time out I'll go to 4 plates. Felt damned good to do some moderate weight deadlifts again. :)

Leg Press:

10 plates x10/12 plates + 2 25s x8

**Feeling stronger each time out. I go down all the way with these. I laugh when I see skinny punks putting lotsa plates on and then supporting their quads with their arms go down about 6 inches and then back up. I need to start squatting now. Quad strength is getting closer to 100%. Hips are probably going to be weak, along with glutes.

Well done ElPietro. :cry: Maybe someday I can make it up to your so called "feminine warmup" weight. And I think I'll take my arms off of my quads now.

ElPietro
09-28-2002, 02:11 PM

And I think I'll take my arms off of my quads now.

Good. ;)

Day 4 of the 10s. For some reason I thought this was day 5. I think I am off by a day on my maxes. Some smaller stuff was already probably at my 10 rep max and I still have two days to go.

Incline DB Press:

75x10/75x10

Pec Deck Flies:

130x10/130x8

*I am going to drop back to one set on these. Started to feel like that tingling numbness was coming back in my elbow...so only one set next week. I am kinda stuck anyway, as the stupid rack only goes to 150, so dunno what to do for 5s.

Seated Cable Rows:

180x10/180x10

WG Lat Pulldowns:

150x10/150x8

Standing Military Press:

115x10/115x6

**May only go up 5 lbs next session.

DB Lateral Raise:

30x10

45x10/(8 on left)

***Since this was now officially heavy, I think I will stay with this weight next week. Because I went pretty much to failure or close enough I just dropped the second set.

Triceps Pushdown on Lat Pulley:

95x6+pause+4/85x6

****Ok 95 was fookin heavy. I did a couple and was surprised. Managed to get to 6 and then stopped. Took a step back and then was pissed that I couldn't get to ten so did 4 more. Not quite a proper set but whatever. Will stay with 95 for next time.

Reverse Pec Deck:

130x10/130x10

*****Bleh. The stack only goes to 140. I think there is a rear delt raise bench somewhere in the gym though. Never done em before...so I'll hafta figure it out.

BB Shrugs:

315x6/315x4/225x8

******Ok, this is pure homo. I dunno if I was just tired from the workout, or since I haven't done heavy shrugs in a while or deadlifts that my grip has weakened but this was lame. I used to do 4 plates for 6-8 and now I struggled with 3! :confused:

I walked towards the cardio centre but was feeling lethargic so I didn't bother with it.

ElPietro
09-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Well...I'm f*cking sick again. :mad: After the gym on saturday I had a nap and woke up feeling like crap. Managed to force my lazy ass to the gym somehow.

Incline DB Press:

80x10/80x8

*Second set was a bit tough because some guy worked in with me, so I didn't take my usual break in between as I felt a bit rushed. Coulda prolly pushed out 10 again on the second set but didn't feel like pushing too hard whilst feeling like poop.

Pec Deck Flies:

140x10

Seated Cable Rows:

190x10/190x10

**I should probably bump this up more. Although, it is tiring, it's nowhere near my 10 rep max. I do these sets with a lot of speed where the weight stack sorta gets thrown up so there's no tension on the cable for half a second.

WG Pulldowns:

160x10

***Difficult.

Standing Military Press:

125x10/125x6

****Maybe a bit of legs assisting in the last two reps on the first set. I had planned on only 120 but couldn't find the 2.5s. :rolleyes:

Lateral Raise:

35x8

45x10/35x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

95x10/95x10

Reverse Pec Deck:

140x10/140x10

*****Well that's the rack. May go to reverse DB flies.

DB Shrugs:

100x10/100x8

******Did these nice and slow. Felt like crap though so didn't push it.

Jumped on the ellyptical but really wasn't into it so I left after like 4 minutes.

Well, that's it for day 5 of the 10s.

ElPietro
10-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Decided to blast the legs a bit.

Squats

135x6/225x5/315x2/315x2

*Ok this is queer in the extreme. I guess I have to get used to squatting again. :(

45 Degree Leg Press:

14 plates x8/16 plates x3

**Almost not worth the effort. All the plates were far away as someone did calves and used all the plates and didn't bring em back to the leg press area. Although, I was lucky as some other guy was gonna use the machine after me so offered to take off what he wouldn't use.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

50x8/80x8/80x8

***Happy with this. Will go to 90 next session. Close to 100%.

55x10/60x10

Leg Extensions:

250x10/250x10 250=stack

Seated Leg Curls:

Did two sets...not sure how much weight...was like 2/3rds of the stack.

Hips:

Did a couple sets on both the adductor and abductor.

Stretched things out pretty good and did 10 minutes on the ellyptical. Still sick so felt like crap. Leg day and a stuffed up nose suck ass.

IceRgrrl
10-02-2002, 06:31 AM
So you're not lifting the weight that you're used to...you're coming back after a leg injury and being sick, silly ;) But you're back in the groove and all will take care of itself in good time. Keep up the good work!

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 07:22 AM
I am not silly! :swear:

But thanks. :)

Relentless
10-02-2002, 09:24 AM
nothing wrong with being silly, mate!

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Final day of the 10s.

Incline DB Bench:

85x10/85x8

*Pleased with this. I will use the 95s as my 5 rep max, although, I haven't tested it.

Pec Deck Flies:

150x10

**Well that was the entire rack. Not easy but really hard on my elbows. They were sore and numb the last time I did em, and then my arms were sore and numb after squats, probably because the arms are in the same position...and they were bad after this set. :mad:

Seated Cable Rows:

210x10/210x10

***Not very hard. Did these fast. It is just hard to sit down first as the cable isn't very long. I was scheduled to do 200, but since 190 wasn't tuff thought I'd go to 210...shoulda gone higher.

WG Pulldowns:

170x8

****I never used to do these...and they feel akward coming to the front of the chest. Also, I try to keep as vertical as possible and have pretty much zero movement of the trunk. Last couple reps weren't right down to the collar bone either. Bleh.

Ok at this point in my workout, both my f*cking arms had gone totally numb, with the pain emanating from my elbows. Stupid god damned flies suck ass! :swear: I am taking them out indefinitely, as the weight I am using is too much stress on the joints with that machine. I walked over to do standing millies, but I couldn't make a fist, didn't feel like I had the strength to move the bar up a couple rungs in the squat rack, and couldn't stop my hands from shaking. So decided better not be lifting any bloody weight over my head. Went and sat down against the wall for a few minutes and the pain didn't go away. Decided to leave.

I will redo the final day of 10s on saturday. I will replace f*cking flies with either flat bench, or just use the hammerstrength bench. I will increase cable rows so they are closer to whatever I figure my 10 rep max is. Maybe 230 or 240. I will debate on what to do with WG Pulldowns.

All in all this has been a pretty sh!tty day. Still a bit sick. The guy that runs the thai boxing gym went to japan today for a few days so I couldn't even go back and start beating the crap outta stuff. :mad:

I may go out for a jog tonight as I feel like I should have done more activity today, and without cardio I'm not gonna lose any bf.

:mad:

Pup
10-02-2002, 07:48 PM
You whine like an old woman...*kicks EP*

PowerManDL
10-02-2002, 07:56 PM
*smacks LP with crowbar*

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
You whine like an old woman...*kicks EP*

Hush, BMF vermin!

Well, I just had a first in my life tonight. I actually went out, of my own free will, and....

......jogged! :eek:

In my entire life I have pretty much been against running unless it was from some form of authority, to beat someone up, or to get first in line at a buffet. But tonight, frustrated as I was I went out and surprised myself.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest track so I used that as warmup, just walking but at a brisk pace. Then jogged one lap and that had my heart going at 185bpm. So I basically walked a lap which brought me down to 140bpm. Then did another lap jogging, which put me up to about 190bpm. I repeated this process 4 times. So I did 4 laps jogging with 4 laps of walking alternating between. The jogging was pretty uniform in speed. I would guesstimate it to be around 6.5 on a treadmill. I'm assuming those are mph, but whatever. I can't remember what the standard size track is...so if anyone could fill me in that would be cool. Once I figure out all the functionality of my HRM that has collected dust for months maybe I'll be able to track things more appropriately.

I rested a minute or so after that, and then went over to the soccer/football posts. Basically, I ran figure 8s around the posts. So basically a quasi-sprint to one post, with a sharp turn around the post which would basically halt the momentum, and then sprint to the opposite post. This is an ingenious exercise for my hamstring. I basically get the explosive training of the short sprint up, with the quick slow down, and the lateral work of having to turn a sharp corner. Plus they are tiring as fook. Not sure how long I was at it, but my heart rate was back in the low 190s.

This whole process of running and post drills took about 35 minutes. Plus the 10 minutes to get there...and 15 minutes to get back, a total of an hour spent outside. A girl that looked to be a runner showed up after I had started and left as I finished. She jogged the whole time...but I think total distance I was further, as she would pass me as I walked then I'd pass her when I ran. So I basically owned her and it was my first time out! :evillaugh

Ok enough running crap for tonight. If you are a runner and are thinking of posting how pathetic my effort was, just remember that i'm bigger and stronger than you and will pound you into the dirt. Especially if you are skinny little :shoot: BMFers. :D

Pup
10-02-2002, 08:17 PM
i may be smaller than you...but my lbm is pretty damn close to yours...and i'm stronger than you...so kiss my ass!

PowerManDL
10-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Ooooooooooooo!!!!!

(honestly I'm right there with you in strength too, tubby)

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Ok, we can go toe to toe when we meet up. :cool:

Ps. You should at least be 170lbs before you post in here. :p

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Oh and since we are friends no pissing contests on strength. But since this is my journal I get home field advantage on defending myself, as I guess we are all pretty close in some things, but it seems I have lifted more. I could be mistaken.

PBs:

Bench: 295x2+fingertip assist on third
Squat: 385x1 yes I suck at squats but will get better
Deadlift: 475x1

Other than deadlift I haven't really trained to a max before though...so potentially higher numbers on the other two, plus on deads I reached 475 in I think 2 months after just starting out from scratch.

But no worries...I am still fatter than both of you, so sure, pound for pound you guys are probably stronger. :)

rookiebldr
10-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Ps. You should at least be 170lbs before you post in here. :p

:cry: ok, last post until I'm done bulking. ;)

p.s. cardio sucks.

IceRgrrl
10-03-2002, 05:31 AM
You went running....nice :) You will eventually be won over to the dark side of the cardio fiends...mwhahahahaha!

Good effort!

ElPietro
10-03-2002, 08:44 AM
You will eventually be won over to the dark side of the cardio fiends...mwhahahahaha!

tuttut

Relentless
10-03-2002, 09:34 AM

RUNNING?

Next thing you know you'll be giving up beer and twinkies! :D

Cal

P.S. Might want to back off the intensity a bit and give your heart a chance to acclimate. 190bpm is awfully fast.

ElPietro
10-03-2002, 05:09 PM
Yeah it is fast...that's when I start to walk usually. I don't run at that intensity for any significant duration...just build up to it.

Soon I will probably have an overabundance of cardio anyway. My old hockey team is reforming, and another buncha guys are going to start renting ice every friday night, then I should also be starting thai boxing again next week.

Pup
10-03-2002, 05:57 PM
"But no worries...I am still fatter than both of you, so sure, pound for pound you guys are probably stronger."

-not just lb for lb chico :)

just messin wich ya though...i look forward to training with you in TO!

ElPietro
10-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Yeah training will be cool. :)

You still doing a cycle? No this is not a loaded question, I am merely curious, and if so, what did/do you use, and your experience with it. I am not currently tempted...but who knows what the future may hold.

MonStar
10-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Bench: 295x2+fingertip assist on third
Squat: 385x1 yes I suck at squats but will get better
Deadlift: 475x1

Awesome strength EP. 295 on the bench is awesome. Nice squat and pull too man.

Relentless
10-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Yeah it is fast...that's when I start to walk usually. I don't run at that intensity for any significant duration...just build up to it.

Building to (and holding) something in the 150s or so will be better, healthier and safer if you wanna build up your cardio strength.

ElPietro
10-04-2002, 09:23 AM

Building to (and holding) something in the 150s or so will be better, healthier and safer if you wanna build up your cardio strength.

I would disagree about it being better, but the issue is that running at a steady pace keeping my heart rate at the same bpm is unrealistic, and wouldn't be helping me train for anything other than running at some moderate pace. Then I'd still be gassed in the middle of a shift in hockey, or during drilling in thai boxing.

I feel the way I am doing things, aka intervals are far superior to just steady state running. For weight loss it has been show to be more effective, and for increase of VO2 max I also believe it has shown to be superior, although, it's been a long time since I read up on it.

Trivial Update:

Yesterday I went golfing in the afternoon, after the first hole the pain came right back to my elbows. I'm guessing it's a form of tendonitis...I continued to golf although it was rather uncomfortable. I shoulda just stopped, since I just played a sh!tty round, and probably deprived the joints/tendons the time they need to rest. Took 600mg of ibuprofen late at night as I still felt an ache. I am now wondering if I'll be ready by saturday to lift again. Might delay it till sunday...but that's when football is on. :(

Pup
10-04-2002, 04:47 PM
I havn't cycled in 6 months...but in my previous cycle i ran 400mg eq/week at 10 weeks and i did winny at 50mg/day for the first two weeks in the beginning and two weeks after the eq til it was time to start clomid therapy.

ElPietro
10-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Did you notice a significant increase in weight or strength? Just wondering what your experiences were, and how or if, you trained differently...and if in the past 6 months you have experienced much decline in strength or mass having stopped?

I don't generally ever visit the anabolic section, so I really don't know anything about this aspect of training. Currently there is no reason for me to experiment, I'm just curious more or less at this point.

I'm also curious as to the reason many people use gear, but generally don't ask as it seems to be quite a touchy subject, and people get really defensive about it. No I'm not necessarily asking you why, although if you want to share that's cool, or use PM if you want. Either way...I just remember you starting and was wondering how things went.

Pup
10-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Well, i gained a great deal of size in my quads and had some nice improvements in my shoulders.

I have actually gotten more size/strength increases since i've been "off"

I used because i was stuck...i couldn't get my legs to grow and wasn't going to train for 3 years to just get decent legs when i could get good ones with one cycle...so i did it...no regrets.

ElPietro
10-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Made it to the gym today. My arms felt good and didn't really bother me at all through the workout...so I guess the tendons or elbow flexor or whatever it was are ok now. No more flies. Strenght was a bit down with the extended delay between workouts but it was good to get back to it.

Incline DB Bench Press:

85x10/85x6

*Tougher than last time.

Flat BB Press:

225x6

**LOL! Ok so I haven't done this exercise in a couple months and it was after incline bench, and I didn't have a spotter to allow me to continue, so there!

Seated Cable Rows:

230x10/230x8

***Woo, this was a lot of weight. Have to basically struggle just to get in a seated position before pulling the weight. Form was quite strict for the most part...maybe a bit of breakdown on a couple reps, but that was it.

CG Pulldowns:

170x8

****Was pretty tired. Arms felt exhausted as well. Changed things to close grip, I may go wide grip on the cable rows next time out to alternate the grips on my two lat exercises.

Standing Military Press:

125x10/125x4

DB Lateral Raise:

35x10

50x9(7 on left)/40x8

105x8/105x6

*****Man that was tough. Wrists were killing me. Lotta weight.

DB Rear Delt Flies:

20x8/20x8

******Have never done these before so it took a bit to feel comfortable here. Figured today was just "figure it out" day, as the reverse pec deck is too light for me.

Decided to do some deads and push myself closer to where I was.

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/225x3/315x3/405x3

*******Man that felt great! I was tired as hell after doing the triple with three plates...but then felt totally refreshed and ready for more after 4 plates. I stopped at three as I was a bit indecisive...was gonna go for more reps...then thought I'd up the weight instead, then decided to leave things be and take my time getting back to par. I am close though...405 wasn't hard. For some reason I had doubts as it had been a while but it pretty much flew up. The hardest thing here was to resist putting on more weight and going for another set. Next time out I'll try a triple at 440. I am debating whether I should keep everything greater than one rep...or if I should start pushing the limits again once I get up there in weight.

More good news. Got a call from a friend and they have some ice rented for tonight. So for the first time this year I'll get to lace up the skates and play a game. I'm sure deads hitting my lower back is gonna lay a hurting on me when I get on the ice after a while though...

ElPietro
10-08-2002, 06:47 AM
Roughly 1.5 hours of hockey last night. It was good to get on the ice, but my back was killing me after a while, I'm sure deadlifts didn't help. Played 4 on 4 with one sub, and most of us were barely skating at the end. Was nearly 1am by the time I got home. I am rather sore today...my poor erector spinae. :(

Relentless
10-08-2002, 09:22 AM
I found the same thing playing football after heavy deads, P...

my posterior chain and various attachment-points of muscles on my sacrum were just ACHING after playing football on Saturday . . .

Nice pulls, BTW . . . I'm catching up though!!!

ElPietro
10-08-2002, 09:37 AM
I found the same thing playing football after heavy deads, P...

my posterior chain and various attachment-points of muscles on my sacrum were just ACHING after playing football on Saturday . . .

Nice pulls, BTW . . . I'm catching up though!!!

Yeah, I find hockey is the worst of any sport on my lower back. At least the first few times out...and if you spend a lot of time on the ice. When I was a kid I used to play shinny on an outdoor rink for like 6 hours straight until I was stooped over like an old man. I guess hockey is a bit more strain since you are always leaning forward a bit with your stick out front with the puck, and the stride in hockey also hyperextends the the posterior chain a bit.

Yeah it looks like you had your chance to catch up, but now I will start challenging myself more! :p If 405 was that easy at the end of my workout...my strength should be close to 100% again. But seriously you have come a long way on your pulls. I knew you would be pulling 4 plates soon enough. I just hope you ditch those straps soon...I'd think with the amount of chins you do that grip wouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure you'll strengthen up pretty quick now that you are pulling good weight.

Oh, I don't know if you play hockey, but you are welcome to come out if you want. Lemme know, we'll probably be playing friday evenings. Gonna find out in a day or two, we'll be booking the ice in 5 week blocks and prepaying it. $10 each night basically, and any extra we have will go into a pot for beer afterwards. It's at the Ice Gardens at York, so big facility, 6 rinks, I think we'll probably getting the olympic sized rink most of the time.