PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Relentless
10-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the offer mate, but I don't think I'll be able to take ya up on it:

1) no equipment
2) I need to sleep (playing late at night is just crazy, man!)

It's a shame I pulled my own hammy and also messed my ACL this summer, or I'm sure I'd have pulled 405 long before now and progressed past... Ah well. :D

ElPietro
10-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Day one of the 5s. I may cut this short though. I don't think I will go a full two weeks of 5 reps. I am not sure if the first few days would be of benefit as I would be going back in weight quite a bit. I understand this breaks from the HST principles, but since some of the exercises I use such as DB press aren't as easily changed increment wise, I didn't want to go back and have to work an entire week and still be lifting less than my last day of 10 rep max. I will do 3 or 4 days instead of 6.

Incline DB Bench Press:

90x5/90x5

*Woo! Happy with this. First set I think I coulda gotten 8. But stopped at 5. I am thinking that I'll use the 100s as my 5 rep max now. I will go up to the 95s next time out...but I may have to stay with them more than one day to get 5 out. Or who knows...maybe I won't. :)

Flat BB Bench Press:

235x3

**Ok my wrists started killing me here so I stopped. Although, it didn't feel light anyway. My wrists have really been bothering me lately, especially my right one. I think it may be from the fact that I'm on a computer all day and then come home and spend quite a bit of time on one too. Since that is the hand that handles the mouse all day long. I hope this isn't something that will require more attention.

Seated Cable Rows:

240x5/240x5

***Heh, this is quite a bit of weight. Only 60 more lbs to go to max out the lat pulley machine. Did the reps very strict.

CG Pulldowns:

180x5

Standing Military Press:

135x5/135x5

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

55x5(2 on left)/50x5(3 on left)

****My left arm was hurting so it felt really weak. Elbow was a bit numb so I guess that may have affected, although, I expect strength to be a bit uneven.

DB Lateral Raise:

35x5

Triceps Pushdown on Lat Pulley:

115x5

*****Fook this is heavy. After my elbows started to get worse, so I didn't do the second set. It wasn't that bad, my hand was shaking a little, but the pain went away after a while. I'm falling apart. :(

DB Rear Delt Flies:

25x5/25x5

Squats:

135x5/225x3/315x4/315x1

******Bah. I went pretty damned deep with these...but I think my legs and lower back is still shot a bit from deadlifts and hockey the other day. I was certainly stiff all day today.

45 Degree Leg Press:

16 plates x4+fail/12 plates x5

*******WTF! :mad: Ok here is a first. Failing on the f*cking leg press is not fun. I don't know why I couldn't handle the weight. I guess the squats took more out of me than I thought. But I was basically pinned there by my own quads like an idiot. I'd push on them and get things going but couldn't get things passed the locks. After struggling for about 20 seconds and intermittently laughing at myself I called someone over to help me out.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

80x5/90x5

********Happy with this. Strength is pretty much back now. Just need everything to start working together properly again.

Leveraged Seated Calf Raise:

70x5/70x5

Leg Extensions:

250x10/250x10 (fast)

Well that's it. Other than the debacle on leg press it was a pretty good session. Stretched things out for a few minutes and then took off. Quads are dying right now.

IceRgrrl
10-10-2002, 09:55 AM
You might want to try moving the mouse to the other side and using the other hand for a bit...it'll feel awkward at first, but you adjust pretty quickly. You can get some pretty nasty repetitive stress injuries from keyboard/mouse...so if you notice you're having some problems, you might want to change something.

I'm right-handed but I mouse left-handed and it helps...it also makes you more ambidextrous to challenge your non-dominant hand :)

ElPietro
10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Yes, it seems the pain is growing as well. My wrist seems to hurt quite a bit now if I put it in certain positions. I used to think it was just an inflexible wrist, but now the pain has gotten worse and requires less ROM to invoke the pain.

On another note...diet has gone to rubbish this week as well. :(

PowerManDL
10-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Hooray!

ElPietro
10-11-2002, 06:29 PM
Day 2 of the 5s:

Incline DB Press:

95x5/95x5

*Well I was pleased yet again. :) Things weren't 100% stable at all times but there was never a doubt once the dumbells where in position that I'd get 5 reps. It's a bit intimidating when they are just sitting on your knees waiting to be kicked up though. I actually didn't kick good enough the first time and had to stand up and reset. I'll see how I feel next time out, but I think I'm going to go straight to the 100s. The problem with this is the highest the DBs go except for a set of 120s. :( I chose "incline" because I thought I'd stop at 90 or 95, but now it seems that I have progressed better than expected.

Flat BB Bench Press:

245x5

**Felt better this time. First 3 reps were done pretty fast...4th was slow, 5th the spotter actually moved into position in case I needed help. I don't think he helped but whatever. I did a warmup set first on this and I think it helped my wrist out. There was pain, but not enough to make me stop the set short.

Seated Cable Rows:

250x5/250x5

***Heh, this is heavy, but I think I still have a ways to go. It's a bit hard to get in position though. I basically have to jerk the cable back, position my feet, and then fall onto my ass, using myself as a counterweight just to get seated with the cable where I need it to do the set. Reps were very strict. Virtually no back movement at all. Just arms pulling the attachment back.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x5

****This actually didn't feel too bad. I think I can easily continue upping the weight here. Again, this is done with my back pretty much seated upright, with now movement other than from my arms. I know if I leaned back I could use 220 or 230 easily with the same effort.

Standing Military Press:

145x5/145x4

55x5(4 on left)

*****I went and brought the 50 over for the second set, but my left bicep was hurting again. Felt right inside the muscle so I figure I strained it a bit. So I dismissed the second set. I might just skip preachers next time out and give it a chance to fix itself a bit more. Left has been lagging, maybe it just needs some time off.

Triceps Pushdowns on Lat Pulley:

115x5

******Elbows started killing again here. Man my tendons must not like me much. Tried a second set at 95 but it wasn't happening, so I stopped.

Rear Delt DB Raise:

30x5/30x5

DB Lateral Raise:

35x5

DB Shrugs:

120x5/120x5

*******Was lazy, didn't want to load up a barbell, it was more challenging to rack and unrack the 120s then actually shrug them. Paused at the top, but I don't think these did much for me this time.

My legs were pretty stiff in about every known area between the hips and knees, so I jumped on the bike for 5 minutes just to promote some blood flow, did about 5 minutes of stretching and that's it. I sorta did it with hopes of dismissing a bit of DOMS since I have hockey tonight. But since it's now pushed to 11:30 I'm guessing the soreness will be back by then and I'll have to loosen up quite a bit again.

Oh well...I'm relatively pleased with this workout. Although, I haven't followed HST to the letter, I would have to give it a seal of approval, and know that if I enjoyed it more I'd stick with it for a longer duration, as I feel it is doing it's job well for me. A bit stressful as you get close to your 5 rep max but I guess that's why you end with some deconditioning before starting over again.

*tips hat to Brian Haycock*

Blood&Iron
10-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro

Oh well...I'm relatively pleased with this workout. Although, I haven't followed HST to the letter, I would have to give it a seal of approval, and know that if I enjoyed it more I'd stick with it for a longer duration, as I feel it is doing it's job well for me. A bit stressful as you get close to your 5 rep max but I guess that's why you end with some deconditioning before starting over again.

*tips hat to Brian Haycock*
Glad HST ended up working out okay for you. I know what you mean about 'standard' HST not being all that enjoyable. I don't have a problem with working submaximally, but I don't care much for full-body workouts. I've adjusted so things are more fun(splitting up bodyparts) Luckily, my current routine, which I was also using while bulking, is the most fun I've ever had working out.

ElPietro
10-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Glad HST ended up working out okay for you. I know what you mean about 'standard' HST not being all that enjoyable. I don't have a problem with working submaximally, but I don't care much for full-body workouts. I've adjusted so things are more fun(splitting up bodyparts) Luckily, my current routine, which I was also using while bulking, is the most fun I've ever had working out.

Haha, you know...I'm the exact opposite of you. I never thought I'd enjoy a full body routine...but I find that lifting more frequently and full body is pretty good. And I don't enjoy workouts that are too far from my max at whatever rep range I am using. I may keep some of the concepts of HST, such as 3 days a week full body with less volume per workout, but I may make it a slimmed down version and cut out the light weeks, that I feel aren't as necessary.

ElPietro
10-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Rougly 1.5 hours of hockey last night. Had 16 guys so played 5 on five with 3 subs. On olypic size ice again. Hopefully we can get ice booked every friday night. Good to be skating again anyway. My other hockey team should be starting up soon. So I'll probably be playing twice a week now. :)

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Day 3 of the 5s. Not sure how far I will go on this, we'll see.

Incline DB Press:

100x5/100x4

*I'm so cool. :cool: Well, in honesty, I'm happy to have reached a point where I can incline press 100lb dumbells. But now there are none higher until the 120s. So I will once again bitch to management and hopefully they will order some. I guess I'll reverse the order of chest exercises now and do flat BB press first.

Flat BB Bench Press:

255x5

Seated Cable Rows:

260x5/260x3

**Ok this was quite heavy. ROM was starting to suffer in the second set so rather than continue I cut it short and moved on.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x5

***Ok this was rather easy. I may bump it upto 210 next time. Form is perfect, straight back, pulled down to chest, no lean back whatsoever.

Standing Military Press:

150x5/150x4

****I sought out the mythical 2.5lb plates to get things to 150. Figured 155 might be a bit much. This felt pretty heavy, but I'm pleased that I could complete the set.

Rear Delt DB Laterals:

30x5/30x5

Skipped: Preachers, Triceps Pushdowns, Lateral Raises, to give my elbows a further break to rest up and repair a bit.

Deadlifts: (conventional)

135x5/225x3/315x3/435x2

*****I was happy with this result. :) My left leg started to shake a bit under the weight, but I got it up. It wasn't a fast pull or anything, but when I crashed the weight down, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with only one, so went for another and it was pretty much the same, maybe a bit tougher. This took it's toll on my legs this time much more than normal. Lower back felt fried too. I may hold off on deads for a little bit as I think I need to get leg strength back a bit more, so I might just focus on squats, which have been a problem as of late.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with this workout.

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Ok, I must be f*cking retarded, but I borrowed a crappy digicam from work to take some pics at a homeshow. Didn't take any and instead thought that taking pics of myself AFTER eating thanksgiving dinner would be a good idea. I was planning my first pics to be in the best natural light from angles that were shrouded in shadows that made me look as slim as possible, instead, I used a grainy Sony Mavica to take shots in a bloated post-feasting state, for your viewing pleasure, or displeasure.

It's been about a year now since I've been training, but have been fraught with injuries and lapses in training. I have failed time and time again to adjust my diet, and for the past two months haven't done any cardio, so I think I'm carrying a bit more subcutaneous fat than normal, but hopefully with hockey season now on, I can post new pics in a bit of a slimmer me. :)

Anyway, that's enough disclaimers and excuses.

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 08:07 PM

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Pardon the facial expression.

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Last one. Be nice. :)

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 08:46 PM
Oh, just went and stepped on a scale. It told me I was 250lbs. :(. Normally, I am 245 but I guess in the evening I'm a bit more. That is at 5'11", or just a tad under.

PowerManDL
10-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Haha! Go eat more twinkies tubby!

ElPietro
10-15-2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback Matt!

Dickhead.

Blood&Iron
10-15-2002, 07:27 AM
You look very Canadian I dunno, somehow your pictures puts me in mind of fur trappers and logging. Kinda the Paul Bunyan-esque look. Just don't kick my ass(you look kinda mean in the pics too, and I'm pretty sure you could handily thrash me)

Joking aside, you are pretty damn big. Just drop a little more bodyfat, you'll look awesome(Not like I'm one to talk on this subject)

ElPietro
10-15-2002, 07:52 AM
You look very Canadian I dunno, somehow your pictures puts me in mind of fur trappers and logging. Kinda the Paul Bunyan-esque look. Just don't kick my ass(you look kinda mean in the pics too, and I'm pretty sure you could handily thrash me)

Joking aside, you are pretty damn big. Just drop a little more bodyfat, you'll look awesome(Not like I'm one to talk on this subject)

Heh, well some people at the office do call me pure evil at times. ;)

I'm generally very non-confrontational though, unless it's hockey, which I at times tend towards the more physical style of play, which often can escalate to worse.

Yeah, I really need to drop quite a bit of bodyfat. I haven't been doing any cardio other than a couple hockey sessions last week. Once I start playing regularly, and hopefully I can get things ironed out at my thai boxing club, I will start dropping some fat again. This is probably about the worst I've been in a while. If I can get a lasso around my diet that would be an even bigger impact. I remember long ago reading an article on cardio being much more effective in targeting subcutaneous bodyfat stores, versus diet alone, and I am inclined to believe in that theory perhaps for somewhat slower metabolisms such as mine.

In any event, thanks for the feedback. :)

YatesNightBlade
10-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Looking big. Can't really tell in the pics are you've still got your shirt on. I'm not asking you to take it off dude, but you know what i mean.

ElPietro
10-15-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks Yates. I know it's difficult to tell much with a shirt on. I took a buncha pics, but they didn't come out too well. The lighting, graininess of the camera and basically my physique looking worse on camera made it hard for me to post others, especially shirtless ones. But I have them saved and maybe in a few months I can post them beside newer, better pics. If not, more with tank tops. :p

rookiebldr
10-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Here I was expecting to see some great Canadian backdrop pictures along with your mug. After all, I went all the way to Algonquin for mine. ;)

It is amazing how ppl never look the way you expect them to. As has been already said, you look huge (in a good way) and only 5'11"! I certainly see now how you lift what you do.

ElPietro
10-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Thanks rookie. :)

Anyway, got back into the swing of things with 1.5 hours of muay thai tonight. It was quite gruelling, and class ended with everyone moaning face down on the floor. My conditioning was poor as I expected, but wasn't too far behind on technique considering the layoff. The guy I was training with showed me all the bruises he got on his abdomen from my knees through the thai pads. :cool: I'm sure we'll both have bruises up and down our legs from the kicks we delivered to each other. He was a bony mofo, so his damned legs were like knives.

I think I'll ease back into thai boxing a bit. Another week or so of training, and then I think I'll go for a week straight every night if my body allows me.

I don't think I can train tomorrow as I have to meet with the nice lady from the bank that is going to give me lots of money that I can spend half my life paying off. Maybe I'll go to a gym near my place instead and just pay a visitors fee...we'll see how much I ache tomorrow.

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Day 4 of the 5s.

Incline DB Bench Press:

100x5/100x6

*Man, the first set was, dare I say it...pretty easy. :) I did it relatively quick. I was actually trying to power out the reps. Second set I think I did 6 reps as I wasn't smooth on one rep and sorta held them up for a bit and muttered and then lost count, so did an extra rep to make sure.

Flat BB Bench Press:

265x4+1

**First 3 weren't bad, 4th one the spotter had his hands on the bar but I think he just steadied it, 4th he definitely steadied it, and I believe helped me a bit through the sticking point. I guess this is ok, I'll go to 275 next session, but will do this exercise first, and maybe drop DB inclines down to 95.

Seated Cable Rows:

270x5/250x5

***I think I'll leave things at 270 next time. Last rep I don't think I pulled it all the way back.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x5

****Ok, still not too bad, but a bit better since I bumped it up 20lbs. I will continue increasing this. Again, form was very slow, controlled and perfect.

Standing Military Press:

155x3/135x5

*****Bah! :mad: Ok 155 was fookin heavy. I will leave it this for next workout.

55x5(4 +1assist on left)/40x5

Triceps Pushdowns on Lat Pulley:

115x5/115x5

Side Laterals:

30x5

DB Rear Delt Raise:

30x5/30x5

Also did some plate pinches in between the sets of delt raises. Used the smooth side out on 10lb plates. Didn't count but it was probably close to 20 or 30 seconds. Quite a bit of agony before I let go.

Jumped on the ellyptical trainer and did 20 minutes. I was going to do squats, but my hamstrings were sore from thai boxing, and I will be going tomorrow, so thought I'd let myself get accustom to that before I do much more heavy leg work.

Stretched things out for a few minutes, then did a set of 6 with the 120lb DBs for shrugs as i had forgotten them. I was burnt by them so just left.

Not a bad workout. Nothing felt hurt, so that is a plus. Felt a bit sluggish throughout, but made it through. Tomorrow will be thai boxing, and maybe hockey after that. It will be a struggle to stay hydrated. Diet has still sorta been crap, but I think I am keeping caloric totals within reason still.

Maki Riddington
10-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Holy size El!!!!!
You're a big dude.
I'm very impressed man.
If I'm ever in Toronto I'll be sure to look you up for a workout. Then you can kick my butt in a sparing session and school me.:)

Alex.V
10-18-2002, 11:42 AM
You look nothing like your avatar.

Definitely a big dude, though.

I like the idea of starting with BB bench, btw.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-18-2002, 11:43 AM
My God.

I can't believe i was actually competing with you for strength at one point!

ElPietro
10-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Holy size El!!!!!
You're a big dude.
I'm very impressed man.
If I'm ever in Toronto I'll be sure to look you up for a workout. Then you can kick my butt in a sparing session and school me.:)

Thanks, man, and definitely let me know if you ever make it out here. It's too bad I didn't manage to get out west this summer. Who knows, maybe next summer.

You look nothing like your avatar.

Yes, I have tried my best to look like a chrome man that can change into a gun, but so far to date have failed. :D

Thanks for the comments though, and yeah, I didn't expect to progress as I did on inclines so I didn't think I'd outgrow the DBs at the gym for that particular exercise.

I can't believe i was actually competing with you for strength at one point!

CD I know you haven't been updating your journal, but I'm sure when you are back at it or updating your lifts will be just as high or higher on many lifts. Competing with you helped me a lot in much of my lifting. I kind of consider that the point where I really started to train correctly...before that is was just the sets of 8-10 reps every week with almost no progression. So thanks for the motivation, and hopefully I helped you out a bit to. :) I'll have to refer back to the "road to robboe" thread. ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-18-2002, 01:07 PM

CD I know you haven't been updating your journal, but I'm sure when you are back at it or updating your lifts will be just as high or higher on many lifts. Competing with you helped me a lot in much of my lifting. I kind of consider that the point where I really started to train correctly...before that is was just the sets of 8-10 reps every week with almost no progression. So thanks for the motivation, and hopefully I helped you out a bit to. :) I'll have to refer back to the "road to robboe" thread. ;)

My lifts have been stationary more or less, due to dieting, but that's a good thing for the most part - it's a decent indicator that muscle is being retained.

I got too many things on right now to keep updating a journal with actual weights. for the most part, if i started updating again, right now it'd just be mood and a general overview of progresion.

Ironically i stopped updating because it was drawing me to the computer too much at the time and i wanted to reduce my online-time. These days i seems to on just as much, even without it.

Do you have any short term goals for now?

Relentless
10-18-2002, 01:12 PM
don't worry chiggsy;

My lifts are just about caught up to ElP's... :D Once I pass him and start lifting more, he can stay motivated by trying to keep up with ME. :p

Yeah, I know that's arrogant. :D

When it comes to pass, however, it will simply become foreshadowing. Or something.

ElPietro
10-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Do you have any short term goals for now?

Well my two short term goals are somewhat in conflict. My neverending goal of actually dropping bodyfat is still there, so that is my goal on the physique side. My lifting goal soon will be dedicated to getting my big three lifts to 315, 405 and 500 respectively. Squats have been my nemesis, and I will try and get those going again. I don't think bench will be a problem, and I've already done a 475 pull, and have been at a 385 squat. So if I can get myself back to these levels it shouldn't be too hard to reach these goals. Once I get there and get the bf down a bit, I may focus on adding more mass...but dunno...one step at a time.

As for you Cal, ha! We'll see. I wish you luck, but I don't plan on allowing you to pass me anytime soon though. ;) You can always wish for me to mess up my leg again, I'm only getting back to where I was before. But you have progressed quite a bit...so who knows where you'll be in another few months. Maybe I will be the one trying to catch up.

Relentless
10-18-2002, 01:28 PM
In all seriousness, P, you have great core strength and good natural size. I also observed when lifting with you that you have the natural 'push' to grind through reps that is critical for success IMHO. . . kinda like in Pumping Iron when Arnold talks about what it takes to be a champion. Myself I know I can achieve this 'push' only sporadically; more frequently lately but it's a struggle sometimes.

If you get a grip on your diet you would not only be able to show off your muscles to better advantage, but you would probably speed up progress in your lifts with the improved nutrition.

In all honesty, I would be quite pleased just to catch up to you, let alone pass you. :D

ElPietro
10-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Quick update:

1 hour of thai boxing. I feel slightly guilty for leaving 20-30 minutes early, but I wanted to get home and have something to eat before hockey tonight. I feel dead, I can barely lift my arms, my legs are shot. I leave in 15 minutes. Basically, surfing the site so I don't make the mistake of laying down. Funny how motivation gets drained instantly as you lay down when you're hurting.

Class was pretty brutal anyway. Starting class with 100 swing kicks is not f*cking nice. Followed by 50 lead leg push kicks, 50 rear legs, 50 1,2,1,2's, 50 elbow strikes, 50 left hook/right hooks. It's bad enough just doing that, but having to hold the heavy thai pads for your partner to do his sets is draining in and of itself. Oh and pushups and bodysquats in between each set. Good thing I skipped off before the actual conditioning portion of the class. The above doesn't include warmup, which consists of 10 minutes of skipping, followed by a bit of stretching and then 5 minutes of shadow boxing.

I am way out of shape. I guess for bigger guys like me, the problem is that our arms are just too damned heavy, and holding them up especially with heavy pads on them is murder on the shoulders. I guess since it's only my second day back I should expect this...but it doesn't stop it from sucking.

Trying to rehydrate, hopefully I don't spontaneously combust during hockey. I think I will rest tomorrow.

ElPietro
10-20-2002, 04:55 PM
Well, played hockey friday and was dead tired when I got home at about 1:45am. I was stiff, sore, aching, the next day, and didn't get much sleep. Ended up going out drinking last night for the first time in a while. So today I was aching AND big time hungover. Despite a permanent headache, and needing to get up every 30 minutes to drink a big glass of water because I was quite dehydrated.

Eventually made it to the gym for day 5 of the 5s.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x3/245x5

*Bah! :mad: Wrists were killing again. Left one was actually shaking under the bar. The spotter said that I had the bar where it was putting pressure on my wrist. Normally this has never been a problem, so I dunno if my wrist already bothering me is just weak and can't put the bar where it needs to be. Oh well...the reps were all perfectly clean, without spotter touching the bar. I was thoroughly frustrated when I struggled with the 3rd rep a bit at 275 and just slammed the bar back into the rack. I'll keep this weight here for next time out.

Incline DB Press:

100x0/95x5

**Haha...ok I didn't plan on using the 100s, but after being disappointed with flat bench I though I'd give it a shot. First time I didn't kick them up properly, second time I got em up, then struggled to get a half rep and then just lowered them to my chest. Sat there with them on my chest for a bit and realized that it was prolly a bit much. Got the 95s and did 5. Still not easy, and my left triceps were in pain for the final 2 reps.

Seated Cable Rows:

170x8/270x5/270x4

***Tough.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

220x5

Standing Military Press:

155x5/155x4

****Decent.

55x5(3+1 on left)

*****Bah, I'm gonna change this exercise soon. Seems my left arm is stuck at this weight. :(

DB Lateral Raise:

35x5/35x5

Single Arm Rear Delt Cable Flies:

25x5/25x5

******The bench I use for rear delt db flies was being re-upholstered so I couldn't do em. So did bent over flies on the cable machine. These felt pretty good. I may thinking of keeping these in.

Triceps Pushdowns:

rack x8/rack x8

*******Just did these on the regular cable pulley. The entire stack feels light now. Did one set with a bar but wrists hurt, so used a rope for the second set. Didn't wanna stress my tris too much.

DB Hammer Curls:

50x5/50x3

DB Shrugs:

120x5/120x5

Did some plate pinches with 10s again, smooth side out. Then did 15 minutes on the ellyptical. Did some stretching for 5 minutes and that was it.

Ok, I am thinking that I will be soon taking a week or so off lifting or dropping down to lighter weight. This would typically be in accordance with an HST routine anyway...but I didn't plan to continue with it. But something needs to be done as I feel that I need to give my body a bit of a break.

Hip flexors and extensors are really sore from thai boxing. I would like to go another week of going maybe 2 or 3 times and then when I feel that I'm not getting as sore after a session, I will go for a week straight, and maybe take my week off lifting then.

After that I am thinking that I might start incorporating some sets that are based on time rather than reps. So just do as many reps in a certain timeframe as possible, and do quite a few sets with short rests in between. I think this will really help with conditioning for thai boxing, as it would mimic some of the conditioning that is required for this. So I will tinker with a new routine that will incorporate this, and perhaps some HST principles as well.

ElPietro
10-21-2002, 08:31 AM
Well, I've come to finally admit that it's the heavy and high frequency of pressing movements that have caused all my wrist pain. So I am putting a halt to my weight training for a duration of one week minimum. I'm going to try and hit up the thai boxing place as many days as I can. This will probably be a painful week.

Relentless
10-21-2002, 09:58 AM
you should still do legs; no strain on your wrist there

IceRgrrl
10-21-2002, 10:08 AM
That wrist thing doesn't sound good...rest sounds like a good idea. Maybe the time off from the pushing exercises will let you see if that's the culprit. You'll be punishing yourself plenty with the rest of your lifting, hockey, and thai boxing.

As for your pics, you always joke about being fat, but you're really a big, solid guy. You may be unhappy with your body fat, but there's a big difference between a *real* fat guy (wiggly-jiggly fat, big gut, droopy body parts) and someone who obviously is more muscle than not. I certainly wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alley or on the ice ;) But then I know you're not really as mean as you look :p

ElPietro
10-21-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
you should still do legs; no strain on your wrist there

I doubt I'll hit the gym this week. If I go to thai boxing 3 or 4 nights my hip flexors will be destroyed. I just want to get minor things like this acclimated to that particular type of training, which should be fine after this week, then I can move on to a new routine.

Originally posted by a girl looking for trouble
But then I know you're not really as mean as you look

And as for you young lady...what did I tell you... tuttut

ElPietro
10-23-2002, 07:29 PM
Went to thai boxing tonight. First time this week. Been busy so haven't been going. The week off training I think will do me good though. Might be busy tomorrow as well...so looks like this will be a very restful week training wise. My level of conditioning currently disgusts me...but whatever.

Diet has been pretty much sh!t too...cals might be about right, but still not a good macro breakdown. Not too concerned though...the amount of activity that is on the horizon for me will whip me into shape pretty quick regardless of what i eat.

Oh and Ice thanks for the comments...yes I only quoted the one thing about being mean...but I appreciate the kind words and support cutiepie. :)

ElPietro
10-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Here is the routine I will be performing until I've decided what gym I'll be sticking with and what my schedule will look like.

Chest/Arms
BB Bench x2 (Heavy)
DB Incline Bench x2 (Med)
Pec Dec x2 (Med)
Skulls x2 (Med)
Pushdowns x2 (Med)
Standing BB Curls x2 (Heavy-Med)
Single Arm DB Preacher Curl x2 (Med)

Legs
Back Squat x2 (Heavy)
Good Mornings x2 (Med)
Leg Press x3 (Heavy/Med)
Standing & Seated Calves x2 each (Med)
Misc. Hip Work (Med-Light)

Lats/Shoulders
High Rows x2 (Heavy)
Single Arm DB Rows x2 (Med-Heavy)
Pull Downs x2 (Med) Rotating Style
Seated Horizontal Row x2
Standing Military Press x3 (Heavy-Med)
Side Laterals x2 (Med)

Deads/Traps/Abs
Deadlifts x3 (Heavy)
BB Shrugs x3 (Heavy-Med)
Pull Down Abs x3 (Heavy-Med)
Incline Crunches (static/dynamic) x2 (Med)

I'll give this a whirl until I know what equipment I have at my disposal. I will still work on some form of conjugated periodization routine but I think I'll stick with this or a smaller version of this if 4 days is too much. It's a bit highish on the exercise side...but most of my movements are only two sets...so adding it all up it ain't all that bad.

Just quoting this routine as I think I'll go back to it for now. Didn't feel like sifting through my journal to find it again. Wrist still aches a bit, so not sure when I'll start back up next week. I'll prolly start with legs though so I can push chest to the end of the cycle so that I get a bit more rest.

rookiebldr
10-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Stopping the HST I see. Wasn't to your liking?

ElPietro
10-27-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
Stopping the HST I see. Wasn't to your liking?

I liked the routine, and was even going to incorporate some of it's principles, but I found that 3 days a week heavy pressing has ruined my wrists. I don't want to have to use wrist wraps when I bench, etc. I know others have experienced similar pains on the routine, so it's not just me. I've already taken about a week off. The pain isn't as bad but it's still there.

ElPietro
10-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Did 1.5 hours of thai boxing last night. Was gonna start back up at the gym tonight, but I got offered a box seat at the Raptors home opener against Jordan and the Wizards. :)

nobody
10-30-2002, 11:48 PM
lookin pretty soft still

rookiebldr
10-31-2002, 07:27 AM
LP, thanks for your kind words. Maybe we should think "group w/o then BBQ".

Ok, breaks over, time to get yourself back into the gym.

ElPietro
10-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by nobody
lookin pretty soft still

Your screen name is quite fitting butterball.

Rookie, that sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how many people would be up for it. I know we have a few people in the area...maybe some others would like to drive in if they want as well.

Blood&Iron
10-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Do you know 'nobody'? Or no? I can't tell if you're just joking around or not(I tend to think it's the latter.)

I initially deleted an identical post, but am glad he reposted so you could respond.

If he isn't a friend, he's gone. I generally cut people more slack than some of the other moderators but if somone starts insulting others, he gets no warning or a 2nd chance. Let me know.

ElPietro
10-31-2002, 09:28 AM
Do you know 'nobody'? Or no? I can't tell if you're just joking around or not(I tend to think it's the latter.)

I initially deleted an identical post, but am glad he reposted so you could respond.

If he isn't a friend, he's gone. I generally cut people more slack than some of the other moderators but if somone starts insulting others, he gets no warning or a 2nd chance. Let me know.

B&I it's not joking around. He's some fool from IM that I will be "meeting" in early December. He's just trolling in my journal. Maybe he injected too much Fina today and had a little bit of added agression to dish out.

Blood&Iron
10-31-2002, 11:03 AM

B&I it's not joking around. He's some fool from IM that I will be "meeting" in early December. He's just trolling in my journal. Maybe he injected too much Fina today and had a little bit of added agression to dish out.
He's gone.

ElPietro
10-31-2002, 11:16 AM
You didn't need to do that. I don't know if I will be surfing much on IM now, but was hoping if any complications came up regarding us meeting up he would be able to PM me here. But whatever. His username on IM is BjUaFyF.

Thanks for the good intentions, pretty man. ;)

PowerManDL
10-31-2002, 11:18 AM
If yall fight, schedule it around December 29 or 30. Then I can watch. :)

ElPietro
10-31-2002, 11:19 AM
He said December 4th in the PM to me. He is not from toronto, just visiting family or something.

Blood&Iron
10-31-2002, 11:24 AM
You didn't need to do that. I don't know if I will be surfing much on IM now, but was hoping if any complications came up regarding us meeting up he would be able to PM me here. But whatever. His username on IM is BjUaFyF.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I figured you'd tell me if you didn't want him banned. He can re-register if he wants.

ElPietro
10-31-2002, 07:19 PM
Well...it's been I think close to two weeks since hitting the gym. Wrist feels better but still pain in it. Going to the routine I quoted above, but thought I'd just get back into things a bit with a nice mish-mash workout of anything and everything. Figured I wouldn't push it too hard, and let my body get ready for future sessions.

Incline DB Bench:

55x12/95x7/95x6

HS High Rows:

180x10/250x6/270x4

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/315x5/455x1

CG Lat Pulldowns:

220x6/190x6

Standing BB Military Press:

135x7/135x6

Single arm Cable Triceps Pulldowns:

45x8/45x8

Supersetted with:

Single arm Rear Delt Cable Raise:

25x8/25x8

Leg Extensions:

rack x10/rack x10/rack x10

Lying Hamstring Curls:

70x8/70x8

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise:

45x8/45x8/45x8

Stretched for a couple minutes and that was it. Was a bit disappointed in the deadlift, but haven't trained it much lately...I thought I'd get at least two reps, but the second one I got off the floor and then gassed a bit so gave up. Almost all of this stuff isn't to failure, just didn't want to push it too hard first time back.

nobody2
11-01-2002, 12:18 AM

I actually have no Idea what you guys are talking about. I apologize for not finishing my comment but my computer is really old and it keeps crashing shutting down on me, when it was deleted the first time I had thought it hadn't posted and tried to post again but it did the same damned thing what i was originally gonna say was "looking a little soft j/k nice pics bro".

I would ask that in future you people not be so quick to ban access from your site, especially without talking to someone first

My name is pete, I found this site through dogpile doing an search for BB communities. I apologize If i offended anyone, it honestly is not my fault, but im pretty offended here myslef, how about next time you talk to someone before being obnoxious and banning them.

Relentless
11-01-2002, 06:48 AM
sorry to hear the wrist hasn't completely healed, ElP

you get it checked out by a professional??

ElPietro
11-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by nobody2

I actually have no Idea what you guys are talking about. I apologize for not finishing my comment but my computer is really old and it keeps crashing shutting down on me, when it was deleted the first time I had thought it hadn't posted and tried to post again but it did the same damned thing what i was originally gonna say was "looking a little soft j/k nice pics bro".

I would ask that in future you people not be so quick to ban access from your site, especially without talking to someone first

My name is pete, I found this site through dogpile doing an search for BB communities. I apologize If i offended anyone, it honestly is not my fault, but im pretty offended here myslef, how about next time you talk to someone before being obnoxious and banning them.

Hey, no problem. Obviously, from your comment I thought it was negative. And it's a bit fishy, that what you said is exactly the same thing the guy I figured you for said on another board, and since he's been rooting through my journal already, and posting my pic on another site, it seemed pretty obvious to me that you were him. But if you say you aren't, then I'll take your word for it. No hard feelings from me.

Cal, if it starts hindering my workouts a lot I'll go get it checked. Right now...the pain isn't that bad having given it some time off.

Blood&Iron
11-01-2002, 08:49 AM

I find you story highly dubious, as you have to submit a post before it's posted. You hit the submit button with a message saying 'You look soft.' and hit submit, which was an insult to ElP. Period. I don't know what exactly the claim that your computer crashing has to do with this, as it affected nothing.

But I'll take you at your word, in which case I apologize for my actions, and the misunderstanding.

ElPietro
11-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Also, there are many journals, with tons of pics on this site. Yet your first ever post on this site happened to be in my journal...

But whatever, I'm not overly concerned if you are telling the truth or not. Like I said, I'll take your word on it.

nobody2
11-01-2002, 10:11 PM

I find you story highly dubious, as you have to submit a post before it's posted. You hit the submit button with a message saying 'You look soft.' and hit submit, which was an insult to ElP. Period. I don't know what exactly the claim that your computer crashing has to do with this, as it affected nothing.

But I'll take you at your word, in which case I apologize for my actions, and the misunderstanding.

Thanks for taking me at my word......right after questioning it...??? you wanna be an ass then go ahead, i don't care, but don't tell me the comp crashing had nothing to do with it, I am here trying to post, you don't have a clue what the hell happened...:rolleyes:

nobody2
11-01-2002, 10:16 PM
Also, there are many journals, with tons of pics on this site. Yet your first ever post on this site happened to be in my journal...

But whatever, I'm not overly concerned if you are telling the truth or not. Like I said, I'll take your word on it.

I guess you should get everyone banned that posts for the first time in a thread or that posts in your journal. Threads are meant to be posted in, where would you have been happier with me putting my post?? I posted in here because this journal came up in a search I did and I had to read thru the damned thing to find it didn't have what I was searching for.........22 pages later I tried to post a joke.....This is stupid, I get accussed of dumb **** and have my integrity questioned because you have an enemy somewhere else:rolleyes:

Blood&Iron
11-01-2002, 10:37 PM

Thanks for taking me at my word......right after questioning it...??? you wanna be an ass then go ahead, i don't care, but don't tell me the comp crashing had nothing to do with it, I am here trying to post, you don't have a clue what the hell happened...:rolleyes:
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt even though your story was completely ridiculous and impossible. You should have at least come up a plausible excuse for your post, but apparently you aren't intelligent enough for that. In any event, insulting me after I apologized was not the smartest decision if you wished to keep posting on this board. You've pissed me off and you're gone--for good this time.

Don't not reregister or you will be reported to your ISP.

End of story.

ElPietro
11-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Ok, last night, was pretty fookin tiring. Had my first proper leg day in probably a month or two, and also a hockey game at 11:30pm last night. Stairs are the enemy right now.

Squats:

135x5/225x5/315x3/315x2

*Bah. Ok I guess I have gotten pretty weak on this exercise...but I also think the low poundages is a function of depth. I am concentrating quite hard on depth, and I guess I am pausing for a second or two at the bottom as well. Not sure how much impact that may have on things.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

70x8/90x8

45 Degree Leg Press:

12 plates x8/12 plates x8/12 plates x8/12 plates x8

Supersetted with:

Single Leg Calf Raise on Leg Press:

12 plates x8/12 plates x8/12 plates x8

**Ok the leg press weight is pansy, but squats took a bit out of me and I just thought I'd go with volume on the press until my strength is back a bit more. Calf raises with only one foot on the platform, as it was too easy using both feet.

Seated Hamstring Curl:

3/4 of rack x8/rack x8

Leveraged Seated Calf Raise:

70x8/70x8/70x8

Leg Extensions

rack x8/rack x8 (fast)

Stretched things out a bit and that was it. Legs felt pretty blasted.

Went home and tried to sleep a bit before hockey but couldn't. Got to the arena for the first game with this team, and only 3 other guys and the goalie showed up. So 4 skaters. The other team had 16 skaters. They weren't very good though, and despite having thoughts of defaulting the game, we decided to play a man down all game. We ended up winning 1-0 in the end. :) I think we are going to merge with another team, as they only have 9 guys and we technically have 11 but they will never all show up. Would be nice to actually get off the ice during the game and sit on the bench.

Today walking is a severe challenge.

ElPietro
11-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Last night went for a Lat/Delt session. After that went and saw Jackass. Today my legs are basically immobile and hurt anytime they move or are touched.

Anyway, the workout:

HS High Rows:

160x8/180x5/280x5/250x6

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

230x4/200x6

Seated Cable Rows:

250x5/220x6

Standing Military BB Press:

155x6/155x4

DB Lateral Raise:

35x6/30x8

Bent Over Rear Delt Cable Raise:

35x8/25x8

Did a light set of lying hamstring curls, and a quick set of 12 of the rack on leg extensions to hopefully aid in recovery. So far it ain't working. Perhaps tonight will be a night off.

Relentless
11-06-2002, 08:38 AM
some light jogging will probably help the muscles in your legs loosen up

an epsom salts bath wouldn't hurt either (just drink lotsa water before/after)

MonStar
11-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Damn, nice lat strength EP! Are these sets to failure or no?

ElPietro
11-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Damn, nice lat strength EP! Are these sets to failure or no?

Umm...no. They get me huffing and puffing, but the DBs only go to 120. I haven't done this exercise in about 3 months, otherwise this weight generally wouldn't be any challenge. I did the sets pretty fast. I think I was doing smaller sets in the 160-170 range with my hand strapped to an ez-curl bar...but I dunno how much the instability adds to the lift being more difficult.

If I could get my hands on some olympic DB handles that would be good.

Relentless
11-06-2002, 09:31 AM
seeing ElP pull up 170lbs with one hand is pretty impressive

I think he scared some of the yuppies at my gym

ericg
11-06-2002, 12:02 PM
170lbs, very nice.....120 isnt too shabby either ;)

Good work man.

ElPietro
11-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Thank you gentlemen. Hopefully I can get back to this level relatively shortly. :)

MonStar
11-06-2002, 11:19 PM
If I could get my hands on some olympic DB handles that would be good.

Most sporting goods stores have 'em, cheap too.

ElPietro
11-09-2002, 02:25 PM
Decided to forgo deadlift day. It is not a priority at this time. So on to chest/arms day...also decided to add in traps as that is the only muscle group on dead day that I wanted to carry over.

Decided to increase the volume on chest as I feel size-wise it has lagged a bit.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x3/275x4+1/300x1+1

*The 275 I may have had help on the 4th rep...but prolly only to keep things balanced. Same with the first rep of 300. Never pressed 300 before, didn't necessarily expect to here either, but figured I'd acclimate myself to higher poundages as strength becomes more of a focus. I was pretty pleased with the result.

Incline DB Press:

95x6/95x6

Flat DB Flies:

35x8/35x8

HS Seated Bench Press:

187x6/187x6

**On the machine was some note saying it provided 7lbs of resistance...so just put 2 plates on...felt a bit odd...the sets weren't to failure or anything. Used a neutral grip on this.

45x8/45x8

Hammer Curls:

45x6/40x6

Ez-curl Bar Skull Crushers:

105x8/105x8

Single Arm Cable Triceps Pulldowns:

35x8/35x8

BB Shrugs:

225x8/315x6/385x3

***Bah.

DB Shrugs:

120x6/120x6

That's it. Not a bad session.

chris mason
11-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Good job on the bench El. Good job on all of the exercises.

ElPietro
11-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Thanks Chris. I guess I'm almost out of your warm up weight range for you to notice my lifts! :D

Hopefully the higher volume will help a bit as well.

Savannah
11-09-2002, 10:46 PM
You go with your Schnazzy cuff links you!:D

ElPietro
11-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Had a hockey game tonight. So that was my exercise for the day. Only 7 guys showed up...so we had two subs...which is better than none. The other team only had 4 skaters...just like we did last game. Well, we killed them pretty good. Still was a good workout since we didn't have many guys. I now have a nice penalty streak going of getting one every game. Both for bodycontact. Hopefully I can keep this up all year. :)

Played a bit hungover, as one of my best friends got married on sunday. Yes on a sunday, apparently this is common in the jewish faith. Was a good time, took today off, so I'll have a short work week too.

IceRgrrl
11-12-2002, 06:27 AM
I now have a nice penalty streak going of getting one every game. Both for bodycontact. Hopefully I can keep this up all year. :)

Excellent! It sounds like we play a similar style... ;) Glad you had fun at the festivities and recovered in time to enjoy your game.

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

Excellent! It sounds like we play a similar style... ;) Glad you had fun at the festivities and recovered in time to enjoy your game.

You can give me a lesson in "body contact" anytime little lady. :drooling: :hump: :smoke:

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 09:27 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai. I dunno if it was yesterday's hockey game, or if I've some how regressed, but this class was much harder than usual. Problem areas were lower back, and hip flexors. These are worked hard in hockey, and I generally don't get a sore back during class, so maybe it was a factor. Hip flexors definitely need more attention though. I was rather upset with myself.

Hockey tomorrow night at 11:30. Think I'll just relax tomorrow before the game. I'll bump leg day to thursday. Needed to buy two new sticks today as I broke both of mine last night! :mad:

Diet was actually pretty good today. I will be under maintenance for sure. I haven't been keeping up with my diet lately, more by design than anything else...as I wanted to keep cals up while I eased into all the increased activity. Now I think I'll lower things down a bit, but still only gonna stick loosely to diet...more concerned with cals only and maybe getting enough protein for now.

Tryska
11-13-2002, 09:36 AM
come help me in my journal...i need dress-up advice. ;)

ElPietro
11-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Hockey last night at 11:30pm. 5 other guys showed up. So no subs. I am starting to get really f*cking pissed with this team. :mad:

Back got sore rather quick. Thinking it needs a break, as hockey/thai boxing/hockey has made it fatigue much quicker that normal. The only problem is tonight is leg night, and I'm not skipping it. :swear:

Oh well...

IceRgrrl
11-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Hey, if you need an extra player to sub in you can write me note excusing me from school the next day ;)

ElPietro
11-14-2002, 08:18 AM
:nod: :study:

ElPietro
11-15-2002, 07:47 PM
Today was leg day. Last time it took like 5 days to recover. This is my second full proper leg workout since I figured my hammy was back to 100%.

Skipped yesterday, as I think my lower back was rather in need of rest. I think with all this activity, I may go to a two day split of push/pull or at most push/pull/legs. Otherwise it's really difficult to coordinate workouts so they don't interfere too much with other stuff.

Squats:

135x8/225x4/340x2/315x4

*Hmmm...I went down about as far as I believe I am able. I don't know if these would be called atf, parallel or whatever, but I know the depth is pretty good, and as a result the weight feels a whole lot heavier than what I used to lift. Also, I have quite a pause at the bottom, where I sorta sit there for a couple seconds before pushing back up. Form was good, no drifting forward at any point in the lift. I'm sure I had more reps in me but didn't feel like failing. I'll just progress slowly.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x6/90x6/80x8

**Something felt "not right" on the warmup set. Felt some twinging near the back of my knee, and was rather uncomfortable. On the first working set I also felt quite weak, and stopped the set at 6. Dropped the weight on the last set and things felt a bit better.

45 Degree Leg Press:

14 plates x6/14 plates x6/10 plates x10/10 plates x10

***I guess squats took a lot out of me. Was gonna put 16 plates on but 14 was plenty. More concerned with volume here anyway.

Leg Press Calf Raises:

****Sorta just did a mish mash of reps after each leg press set. Started with both feet at first and then would do single legged calf raises as well.

80x6/70x10

Seated Leg Curls:

rack -2 x10/rack x10/rack x10

Leg Extensions:

rack x8/rack x8/rack x8

Hips:

Used 50lbs and did 2 sets of 12 for each the adductor and abductor.

Did 2 sets of 10 of leg raises to 90 degrees in the dip station.

Stretched things out a little bit and that was it. My legs already hurt. I anticipate a weekend of hobbling around. :(

Maki Riddington
11-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Haha... training legs sucks.

ElPietro
11-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Heh, I agree...I usually look forward to the gym, I like to bench, I like to deadlift, I like to do many exercises. Leg day comes...and there is fear in the back of my mind. Squats are evil!

Maybe we should stop training legs, and use that extra time for biceps curls. :)

Maki Riddington
11-15-2002, 08:29 PM
I agree.

ElPietro
11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai. Spent the entire fooking class in the clinch, my neck is sooo going to be killing tomorrow. Bastards even made us do 80 or 90 neck situps, which I found distressingly difficult at the end of the class. Felt a little better in class today, although still horridly out of shape. I need to work on hips and lower back still, although, I may just go a little more often for now, to get into the swing of things. I'm running out of time in the week for workouts, hockey and thai boxing. I must formulate a new plan. I really hate mornings, but maybe I'll move my workouts there if I can drag my ass out of bed early enough.

Diet has been totally ace so far today...gonna start keeping a tight rein on this again. Have a dentist appointment tomorrow, so no training after work. Maybe I'll go to the gym after the dentists...haven't been to my uni gym in years and now have a membership. Also, have a hockey game at 11:30 tomorrow night.

One cool thing, is that there is a full two day first aid course my work was offering, so I enrolled in that to break up the monotony of the work week, and if I can get a CPR cert, that's one less thing I need to worry about if I ever want to take a personal trainer course. :)

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Yo! Thanks for dropping by my journal, bud! I've been meaining to PM you for weeks. Lifting, and hockey and muay thai? You, sir, are fookin nuts! Course I wouldn't say that to your face ;).

Thanks for the DB suggestion on deads, but I think I'm just gonna grind out the form right with the BB. I'll get it eventually. Glad to hear you have back/hip flexibility problems, too. Well, not really glad you have them, I'm sorry you have them, but it makes me feel not so alone. We did kicking drills tonight and I realized almost all of my problems are hip and lower back flexibility. I suck.

Well, gotta get up at 4:30 tomorrow morning. Ugh! Catch you later. And you don't need to fly down to kick my ass, I won't do deads with the smith again. . .ever. Cheers.

ElPietro
11-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Had hockey at 11:30 last night. We won decidedly, 5 or 6 to 0...as we had a full team this time...which means we had six skaters. Was a bit tiring at the end as one of the guys got coincidental double minors, so the last 4 minutes we didn't have any subs in 5 on 5. On a positive personal note, I was able to extend my penalty streak to 4 games. So I've at least one penalty in every game, and they are all for body contact or roughing. So no girly penalties like tripping or hooking. :cool:

Went out for a pint afterwards and got home pretty late. Finishing up my first aid training course today. Pretty cool stuff. Lats and shoulders will be worked tonight.

ElPietro
11-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Today was lat/delt day.

HS High Rows:

180x10/290x5/250x7

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

*OK these just pretty much fly up now. I still am way out of breath afterwards, but I'll need to go back to either using the ez-curl bar again, or find handles I can bring in that will hold more weight.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x7/210x6

**Actually, I'm a bit foggy on how many reps I got on these. I may have gotten 8 on the first set, not sure. I did these very strict as usual, no leaning back or anything.

Seated Cable Rows:

230x5/200x6

***Bah, obviously I was already exhausted from the other exercises. Next week I will drop the weight a bit, wanted to go higher reps on this one.

155x6/155x4/135x6

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8

****This really killed the wrist in my right hand.

Bent over rear delt cable raise:

35x6

Rear Delt DB Raise:

25x8/25x6

That was it. Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical, and then spent a good amount of time doing basically a full body stretch. Ok workout I guess. I think my training is a bit disjointed right now. I wanted to do bench tomorrow, but now that I've just done shoulders I should give em a couple days to rest. I will need to rework things somehow, or go to a two day split.

ElPietro
11-21-2002, 08:45 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai. Didn't get a partner so did everything on the big heavy bag. My foot is now a red mess and my shin will be sore tomorrow. Things are looking pretty good though. Kick is pretty close to what it was, hip is feeling good. Worked on some pretty good combos as well as knees, and elbows. Heavy bag is good but also sucky in that it won't stay still. I kinda liked not being paired up as I could go at my own pace, even though thai pads are better. Conditioning is getting very much better as well. The only thing holding me back now is lower back fatigue.

Tomorrow I'll prolly go for a quick deadlift session, and then back to thai boxing for the later class if i'm not completely wiped out. I think it's been almost 2 weeks since i did chest/arms though, so obviously i do need to change things around a bit.

IceRgrrl
11-22-2002, 08:42 AM
Beating up on yourself is always fun...sounds like quite a workout :)

ElPietro
11-22-2002, 09:05 AM
I like it better when you beat me up though. :)

And yes, my foot today is a nice pink mess and I doubt I'll go tonight. So just deadlifts...funny how I actually think that just going to the gym for deads is practically a rest day. :D

ElPietro
11-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Today was deadlift day. There is something so plain and simple about deadlifts that make them so thoroughly enjoyable. I put weight on the bar, and all I need to do is pick it up and put it down. No worries about anything other than a bar with weight on the floor, that needs to be in my hands while i'm standing erect. :)

Conventional BB Deadlifts:

135x6/225x5/315x3/405x5/405x4/405x3/315x6

*Thought I'd increase the volume and keep the weight a bit lower. None of these sets were to failure. They were to "lazy". Lazy is when I am pulling and as I'm ready for the next rep, I think "nah, I'll get this rep next set." So just sheer laziness and lack of willpower to do that next rep. All sets of 405 were done pretty fast. Never more than 1 or 2 seconds to get the bar from start to finish.

Pull Down Abs:

115x10/rack x10/rack x10/rack x10 (rack=155)

**Ok, I barely felt anything here. I think I will have to go over to the lat pulleys for these if I do em again.

DB Sidebends:

80x8/80x8

DB Shrugs:

120x8/120x6

***Blah, grip was pretty shot at this point.

Ok I guess that was it. A nice relaxing deadlift session in the books. I have some nice blisters as souvenirs now. :)

ElPietro
11-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Ok I am also gonna start a weekly recap, or activity summary, so I can do a quick check on what I've done from week to week without having to sift through everything. I'll do these fridays.

Nov. 16 - 22

Saturday: No activity.
Sunday: No Activity.
Monday: 1.5 hours of Muay thai.
Tuesday: Hockey (1 sub)
Wednesday: Workout - Lats/Delts
Thursday: 1.5 hours of Muay thai.
Friday: Workout - Deads/Misc.

rookiebldr
11-22-2002, 10:32 PM

135x6/225x5/315x3/405x5/405x4/405x3/315x6

*Thought I'd increase the volume and keep the weight a bit lower. None of these sets were to failure. They were to "lazy". Lazy is when I am pulling and as I'm ready for the next rep, I think "nah, I'll get this rep next set." So just sheer laziness and lack of willpower to do that next rep. All sets of 405 were done pretty fast. Never more than 1 or 2 seconds to get the bar from start to finish.

Ok I guess that was it. A nice relaxing deadlift session in the books. I have some nice blisters as souvenirs now. :)

I really don't have anything much to say here, except :eek: to light dead lift day. Oh, and the recap post, great idea.

ElPietro
11-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Heh, rookie my erector spinae have been cursing me since that workout. Much more painful that doing a set of near max weight.

Anyhoo, had an ace chest session. Strenght is soaring as I am out to test the fact that my strength is currently limited neurologically, and I haven't yet gotten to my max as far as muscle goes...or something.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x3/245x2/315x1+1

*Woo! I pressed three plates motherf*cker! :strong: I didn't really expect to do this. I almost didn't bother as there was a lack of spotters. But just told the guy to only help if I stopped. I went super ultra turbo slow on the negative portion, as I was almost gonna use these as negative reps, but low and behold, I actually pressed the bitch back to lockout. Went down slow for a second, and the spotter needed to help me through the sticking point. I was pleased. :)

Incline DB Bench Press:

100x5.5/95x6

DB Flies:

35x8/35x8

**Whatever. Feel a strain in the shoulders, I prolly go too far past the ROM I need but I may remove these as the stress I feel is not good.

HS Bench:

225x6

***Was too pooped to go on with this, so stopped.

Ez-Curl Skullcrushers:

115x6/105x6

40x6/40x6

Tried hammer curls after but my wrist pain flared up 1/3 of the way through the first rep so I gave up on that.

DB Concentration Curl:

35x8/35x8

Single Arm Reverse-Grip Triceps Cable Pulldowns:

45x8/45x8

Triceps Rope Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8

Well that was it. Went to go watch football at the bar with a bunch of friends. Partway through the 4 o'clock games, we decided to go to the nudie bar, as one of the guys was from the states had never been to a candian one before, and another guys girlfriend was gonna come. :cool:

Went to pretty much the best one in all of ontario, and I think we may have opened a door with our buddies girlfriend, as she went up on stage a couple times with the other dancers...and let's just say, she provided entertainment o'plenty for the rest of the bar. :p

ElPietro
11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Had hockey tonight. We won. Scored once, and kept penalty streak alive. So far 5 games outta 5. :)

Gotta go make all the house decisions as far as finishes and colours tomorrow. Then got another hockey game at 11:30pm.

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 08:01 AM
Hockey last night at 11:30. I was tired. We won 8 or 9 to 2. Seems half the goals were tip ins from my shots. The other team was too nice, and as a result my penalty streak came to an end. :mad:

Also, made all the choices of finishes for the house last night. I felt rushed, but whatever. Everything is done now.

Prolly go to thai boxing tonight.

Franco
11-27-2002, 01:48 PM
You should challenge Dan, he likes the odd fight or two or three:)

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
You should challenge Dan, he likes the odd fight or two or three:)

I don't hit girls. :)

Pup
11-27-2002, 01:54 PM
*giggle*

Relentless
11-27-2002, 01:58 PM
Partway through the 4 o'clock games, we decided to go to the nudie bar, as one of the guys was from the states had never been to a candian one before, and another guys girlfriend was gonna come. :cool:

Went to pretty much the best one in all of ontario, and I think we may have opened a door with our buddies girlfriend, as she went up on stage a couple times with the other dancers...and let's just say, she provided entertainment o'plenty for the rest of the bar. :p

Where'd you guys go? Somewhere up by the airport?

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 02:09 PM
Whiskey a Go-Go, by York, around Keele and 7. Never had been before...I don't go to nudie bars usually, maybe once a year, maybe twice, but they can be fun with a group. I managed to get to go to their staff party at 11th hour last year though. It was pretty good. Mats Sundin was there.

Relentless
11-27-2002, 02:41 PM
The Whisky is OK

How did you attend their staff party if you had never been there before? (oh I get it, it was not onsite? :) )

There are other places that rank at least that high or higher, depending on what you are looking for in a ballet experience. I don't have a lot of direct experience but have several friends that are 'connoisseurs'.

Franco
11-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Whisky a Go-Go, ace. Would've loved to have seen The Doors debut there in the late 60's

Relentless
11-27-2002, 02:47 PM
The LOS ANGELES Whisky, yeah.

But ElPIETRO lives in TORONTO. The TORONTO Whisky is a nudie bar.

I know it's all just a big blur of 'the colonies' over here to you English gits but there is quite a distance between Toronto and L.A.

Franco
11-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Lol, As I said it's ace either way.

Aye, I know where the two places are

Chris Rodgers
11-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Just saw the 3 plate bench session.... congrats. That's a big milestone.

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks Latty.

Update: Went to go for some muay thai. My routine is usually to drive through traffic to the club, set an alarm on my cell and have a 45 minute snooze in my car before class. I couldn't get comfortable and felt completely drained when it was time to go in, so I decided to dub this a rest day and go home instead. This kinda sucked because the club is in the opposite direction of home, but whatever. I've had maybe 6 or 7 hours sleep total the last two days so I look forward to a nice early night, and hopefully waking up feeling better tomorrow. Also, it'll give my lower back a chance to rest from back to back hockey games before thai boxing.

ElPietro
11-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Well as I had planned, I decided to move to a push/pull/legs split. I was debating between just push/pull or go to a 3 day split, and I think Iíll give 3 days a try.

So today was pull day. :)

135x6/225x5/315x3/405x1/495x1/405x3

*Yeah bwoy!!! I pulled five fooking plates! :strong: Two milestones in a week. Now if I can manage to get squats back up I can say I can do 3,4,5 for the big three. The thing that pleases me is that 495 went up pretty quick and it's 20lbs more than my previous PR. I stared at the bar for a while thinking to add weight, but decided not to. Anyway, had to make sure uber-meathead Belial wasn't over 100lbs ahead of me on this lift. :D

HS High Rows:

140x10/300x2.5/250x5

**Bah. I experienced some sharp pain in back of my knee during the heavy set...prolly a cramp. Stopped for a sec and could only do one and a half more reps. I guess after deads this isn't as easy to progress on. I may have done more than 5 reps at 250 but I forget.

Single Arm Ez-Curl Bar Rows

145x8/120x8 (120 was with a DB)

***145 felt pretty good, nice and stable. I believe it was 145, ez-curl bars are 25lbs yes?

WG Lat Pulldowns:

210x5/190x5

Seated Cable Rows:

210x5/180x8

DB Concentration Curls:

35x8/35x6/30x8 :cool:

Rear Delt DB Raise:

25x8/25x8

Well that was it. I was very pleased with the workout overall. Volume is up a bit but Deads are an optional exercise. If no dead then I'll incorporate shrugs. The bar looked really purty with 5 plates on it. If one of you 6 plate mofos think of coming in here and mocking me...well... *raises middle finger*

Got a ton of protein now, as I made a decent order from SND. :) I've been slacking with making sure I get enough and I know it has a big negative impact on me...so hopefully the availability of useful snacks and supps will help some.

Franjipani
11-28-2002, 09:11 PM
Just thought I'd chime in and say congrats on your double whammy:thumbup:.....

Franco
11-29-2002, 04:19 AM
Superb work Pete

I thought you were contemplating lifting using periodisation...

ElPietro
11-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks Fran, and Franco. :)

Well in a way I am. Currently my focus is on strength and maximal lifting. I generally won't do that for more than a month or so, before I feel I should take a break and maybe stop working in the 1-3 range. It's not exact but whatever. I have a lot of other stuff going on as well, so it would be hard to stick to a more complex multi-wave program. Right now I'm just trying to fit it all in.

IceRgrrl
11-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Nice session, P...you're scary when you deadlift. ;)

ElPietro
11-29-2002, 08:22 AM
Nice session, P...you're scary when you deadlift. ;)

:cool:

ElPietro
11-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Ok, I can do my weekly recap now, as I will not be training tonight.

November 23 - 29

Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Workout - Chest/Arms
Monday: Hockey (2 subs)
Tuesday: Hockey (1 sub)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Workout - Pull
Friday: Rest

Slightly disappointed but I was tired as hell after the back to back hockey games so skipped out on training wednesday. Ideally, I would like to have some form of activity 5 days a week if possible.

Relentless
11-29-2002, 03:45 PM
yeah EZ curls are 25lbs, IIRC

So for this millies thing . . . standing, BTN or in front?

Saturday Fever
11-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Did you grunt after the 495 pull? Everytime I lift a new PR on deads I have to grunt and generally stare the bar down as if I somehow beat it up.

Does that make me weird?

Franco
11-29-2002, 04:23 PM
It's not exact but whatever. I have a lot of other stuff going on as well, so it would be hard to stick to a more complex multi-wave program. Right now I'm just trying to fit it all in.

Waving percentage and weight loads are a superb addition to any training routine. I had particular success when I had my little stint with westside

ElPietro
11-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Cal millies would be standing millies, without using leg assistance obviously. I don't do seated military press, and do not like it. Also, the press is to the front, generally the bar goes down to around the collar bone. Bent leg and back arch is fine for this movement, actually, it's probably required.

Saturday, I acutally didn't make much noise. But as I walked by I gave the plates a bit of a kick. I felt damn good though. I stare the bar down before I do my pull. It must know who is boss before the lift. :cool:

Franco, yeah there are a lot of concepts I would love to implement if weight training was my only form of conditioning. Right now I just do what fits.

Chris Rodgers
11-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Ace deadlift fatty!

ElPietro
12-02-2002, 07:54 AM
What was I thinking! I went out and bought Unreal Tournament 2002 and thought I would just chill at home for the weekend and play video games like a geek for once. Well sh!t, that's certainly what I did. I think I finally went to bed after 4am on friday, waking up saturday at noon. I think it's been years since I've woken up that late. I was tired and distracted as I started to play unreal again saturday, this caused me to miss my workout. Saturday was a bit better than friday, as I paused my game play to watch a few movies, but then couldn't sleep so got up at 2am to start playing again! Sunday I had a buncha crap to do after I woke up again around noon, so I didn't get to workout at all this weekend. I am now mildly competent at this game, I am usually middle of the pack in any lan games I play. Diet was turned into the "geek diet" of order in food and pop...I generally maybe have 2 or 3 a week, but I had probably half a case this weekend! Video games have now officially ruined my life, and I'm going to have to check into a 12 step program of some kind!

fuzz
12-02-2002, 01:00 PM
yeah EZ curls are 25lbs, IIRC

So for this millies thing . . . standing, BTN or in front?

EZ Curls in my gym are either 20 or 30 lbs. There are chrome, shorter ez bars that are 20, and longer, duller bars that are 30 lbs. Not sure why, my gym is weird I guess.

rookiebldr
12-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Video games have now officially ruined my life, and I'm going to have to check into a 12 step program of some kind!

ROFL, oh to turn the clocks back and a spend a weekend like this again. :thumbup:

ElPietro
12-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Fuzz you could be right, I'm not sure...I dunno why they don't just stamp the damned weight on each bar when they make them.

Rookie, heh yeah, it was pretty cool, just sitting at my PC and playing video games...I used to be a bit of a gamer when I was a kid. It's fun just to be able to not get dressed all day, drink pop, eat pizza and turn of the brain every once and a while. :p

Journal stuff: Played hockey yesterday. We had a full team, so that means 2 subs. We won 10-0. It's getting pretty rediculous, I may try playing goalie just for kicks as I never have before. I'd have to wear my skates though, as my size 13 foot won't fit in the goalie skates we have. Still had to do a lot of skating last night though, so my back was killing me in the end.

ElPietro
12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Today was push day.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x2/245x2/315x0(2 assisted* :mad: )/275x3

*Bah! Ok, when I finally acquired a spot from super grunt boy, I figured I'd get a lift from him. So when I started and was all ready to go, I start to lift, and the f*cking bastard yanks the bar up and out into position rather fast. I was f*cking off balance and sh!t, and went down slow, but things f*cked up pretty good after that. So he helped quite a bit on the press. At this point I'm pretty pissed, and decide to force another rep, but of course I have to fight with dipsh!t who's already trying to rack the weight. I finally verbally inform him I would like to force out another rep, f*cker finally gets it. Second rep was pretty smooth, he helped but not as much as the first. He estimated 5-10lbs of assistance. The set of 275 I told him not to f*cking touch the bar. So those 3 reps are definitely 100% me. Well, I failed on 3 plates. It didn't seem too bad last time out...but the spotter did have his hands on the bar, so maybe he helped despite saying it was all me. I hadn't eaten in the past 5.5 hours prior to this workout...but not sure if that would make much difference on a single or not. I will consider the previous press of 315 fictitious until I do it on my own, without some f*cking b!tch touching the god damned bar. Well this pretty much put me in a sh!tty mood for the rest of the workout. And basically everything else sucked ass from there on out.

Incline DB Bench Press:

100x5/90x6/80x6

**I was so out of it, I missed my first kickup with the 100s. Also 2 of those 5 reps were sloppy. Tris felt pretty damned fatigued. At this point, I really didn't give a sh!t anymore this workout. I was already trying to plan what I would do next push day.

Dips:

BW -80(170)x8/BW -50(200)x6

***Well, I decided to give dips a try for the first time pretty much ever. Walked up to this gravitron thingy that I've never used before. Wasn't too comfortable on it, and doing this hurt my wrist and my thumb, but I think the thumb was just sore from a poor grip on db bench. Felt this primarily in the triceps, which already felt fried, but tried to lean forward a bit and maybe felt a smidge of chest in there. I'll leave it in for now and see how it works.

EZ-Curl Skull Crushers:

115x8/115x6

DB Pullovers:

45x8/65x8

****Decided to try these out. I used to do these a bit in highschool when I actually trained for a bit. The weight wasn't any trouble...bit of wrist pain as usual. I found that with a primarily straight arm, I would feel my lats firing, but with bent arm, I felt it mainly in my triceps. I'll keep this as well and see how things work. I haven't been too happy with how my chest has come along so we'll see what happens.

At this point I realize that I have forgotten shoulders. I was a bit pissed, and decided that millies would be pointless now that my tris were completely fried. So just did some other isos.

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x6

Supersetted kinda with:

DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8

Single Arm Reverse-Grip Triceps Pulldown:

45x8/45x8

Pull Down Abs:

155x10

*****This provided no resistance and I was too lazy to walk over to the lat pulleys, so I left. I'll do abs with my leg workout.

Well, overall this was a pretty sh!t workout. I can't see anything positive in it. I don't know, maybe I'll skip the power sets for next session and just rep out a bit on bench. I felt pretty good going into this workout, but I had kept up my dose of EC so that was probably responsible.

Leaving work, I soon discovered traffic was stop and go. This only fueled my anger. Canada is so sparsely populated, yet we have the f*cking busiest highway in north america. Why do all these c*cksuckers always come to live in Toronto. Why can't they go live in bloody Manitoba, or Saskatchwan. I'm sure they could get a lot of property for their dollar. But no, everybody comes and f*cking crowds up toronto. And the city just keeps on building new sh!t, and new homes like mine, yet don't f*cking think that we need more f*cking roads, or better public transport to move all these bastards that are allowed to settle here!

Well, I'm going to log on to Unreal and frag some motherf*ckers.

Franjipani
12-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Well, overall this was a pretty sh!t workout. I can't see anything positive in it.

They especially suck when its your first lift....ya kinda get out of the groove:(. I had bad one today also.....BUT my positive was that I had my very first spotter and he was lovely;).

Cheer up Pete:)

JohnCollins
12-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Leaving work, I soon discovered traffic was stop and go. This only fueled my anger. Canada is so sparsely populated, yet we have the f*cking busiest highway in north america. Why do all these c*cksuckers always come to live in Toronto. Why can't they go live in bloody Manitoba, or Saskatchwan. I'm sure they could get a lot of property for their dollar. But no, everybody comes and f*cking crowds up toronto. And the city just keeps on building new sh!t, and new homes like mine, yet don't f*cking think that we need more f*cking roads, or better public transport to move all these bastards that are allowed to settle here!

LMAO! Ever heard of the Schuylkill Expressway? What an oxymoron. Why don't you go live in Manitoba or Saskatchawan? Hmmmmm?

;) Sorry. Just dropped by and couldn't help rattling your cage. It was too inviting. How's your house coming along?

ElPietro
12-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

They especially suck when its your first lift....ya kinda get out of the groove:(. I had bad one today also.....BUT my positive was that I had my very first spotter and he was lovely;).

Cheer up Pete:)

Well Fran, I don't like guys in that way, so the appearance of my spotter did nothing for me. ;)

*glares evilly at John*

Shoulders and tris have some soreness to them. I don't think I'll be able to go to thai boxing with fatigued shoulders, so I may do leg day instead. Hockey season is paused now for the christmas exam/break period. It's a university league.

IceRgrrl
12-04-2002, 07:44 AM
LOL @ "grunt boy"....

But I thought he was your friend? ;)

BennettBoy
12-04-2002, 07:49 AM

Well, I'm going to log on to Unreal and frag some motherf*ckers.

Don't like 1/3rd of all Canadians live in Toronto? That is hard to believe. Time for you to move on my man LOL.

ElPietro
12-04-2002, 08:48 AM
No Icer he is not my friend. You know that. tuttut

Bennettboy, I was born and raised in the GTA so I get members priviledges. :) Those that aren't should go populate other areas. I have discussed at length with others that there should be a big push to create a new metropolis somewhere other than an hour drive from Toronto. Toronto is pretty much all city if you drive an hour in most directions. Anything built nearby gets swallowed up into the area. I wish they could focus on overpopulating vancouver or montreal more, instead of toronto.

ElPietro
12-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Today was leg day.

BB Squats:

135x5/225x3/315x1/365x2/315x2

*I was pretty pleased here. My depth on all sets except for the 365 were rock bottom. I basically sat down and stared at myself in the mirror, closely examining my leg position. It was definitely somewhere below parallel, and felt much more like a pull exercise out of the hole just to get to parallel before the quads can drive through the motion. The set of 365 was not this deep. I don't know how deep necessarily because this required more concentration. The final set was cut short as I leaned forward on the second rep. Not sure if it was just a lapse in balance or not, but didn't take a chance on it. Overall I'm pretty pleased. I'm near the poundage I used to lift, and I'm definitely going hell of a lot deeper. :)

45 Degree Leg Press:

14 plates x8/16 plates x3/12 plates x8/10 plates x8

**I think I'll start with 16 next time. I could have gone for probably a few more than 3, but it wasn't easy, and memories of getting stuck a few sessions ago still haunt me, so didn't wanna push it.

Leg Press Calves:

Did 3 or 4 sets on the leg press, some with both feet and using slow contractions with a long hold at the peak, and other quicker reps with single leg as well. I did this in between every set, so basically at all the above poundages. It's a bit mish-mash, but beats wrecking my back having to put 800lbs+ on the standing calf harness.

80x8/80x8

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/100x3/90x6

***Bleh. Think I psyched myself out on the set of 100. Anytime I feel anything remotely like a strain I generally stop nowadays.

Seated Leg Curls:

140x8/150x8/150x8/150x8

****150 is the rack.

Rather difficult to walk at this point.

Hmmm...as I'm typing this journal entry, I now realize that I forgot to do leg extensions. :mad:

Hips:

2 sets of 8 on the abductor.
2 sets of 8 on the adductor.
2 sets of 10 leg raises.

*****I really felt the adductor muscles burning after the first set. Assuming the adductor is the one that you have to bring your legs together, if not, then it's the other one. Jewels were manually protected, so no future children were harmed during the making of this workout. :cool:

Pulldown Abs: (on lat pulley)[B]

95x8/95x8/85x8

******Damn these caused a nice little burn.

[B]DB Side Bends:

70x8/80x8

Stretched for about 5 minutes and that was it...

...or so I thought. You know...it seems like a given now, that things just won't work out for me. I put my hand in my pocket to discover the key to my padlock was missing. So I did a quick run around the gym and couldn't find it. So I checked with the front desk and they didn't have anything. So now I go back and scour every square inch of the gym. Twice. This takes about 10-15 minutes. I go back, and still nobody returned my key. So I resign myself and get the guy to cut my lock off. I get changed and as I'm leaving I hand in my towel. At this point a staff member is walking by and says that she found a key but hadn't had the chance to bring it to the desk yet. *sigh* I shake my head and leave. :(

rookiebldr
12-04-2002, 11:56 PM
... I was born and raised in the GTA so I get members priviledges. :) Those that aren't should go populate other areas. I have discussed at length with others that there should be a big push to create a new metropolis somewhere other than an hour drive from Toronto. Toronto is pretty much all city if you drive an hour in most directions. Anything built nearby gets swallowed up into the area. I wish they could focus on overpopulating vancouver or montreal more, instead of toronto.

Not that I was raised here, but I'm :withstupi It's time to build up that area that your moving to. ;) I hope it's not Oakville, we're already big enough already with our own share of traffic along the QEW. :D :D

Leg abductor machines are for men as well? Our's are in that area where people do that .... circuit training stuff. :D :D

ElPietro
12-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Leg abductor machines are for men as well? Our's are in that area where people do that .... circuit training stuff. :D :D

Well...err, probably not, in general. But there actually is a specific directly related purpose for me doing these exercises. When I trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, there is a position called "Guard." When you are in this position basically you have your opponent sprawled on top of you, and you have your legs wraped around their torsos to keep them close and control them. From here there is quite a bit you can do to make them tap out, and by keeping them close they can't just lean back and start wailing on you with punches and elbows. So basically, having good strength in this area is a huge benefit. I had a pretty weak guard to start, so this is one way I focused on it.

John, forgot to answer your "house" question. All decisions have basically been made now. All the floor, room, whatever else options have been chosen. All I do now is wait for them to build it, take my money and give me a key. This won't happen until september next year, or at least that's the plan.

Franjipani
12-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Jewels were manually protected, so no future children were harmed during the making of this workout. :cool:

*lmao*

Phhhewww, thank god for that... :p

Your workout looked great & a vast improvement to the last on !!!

ElPietro
12-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Fran it felt much better too. I guess eating is a good thing. And yes, I discovered early on, those hip machines can cause some rather acute pain, if preventative measures aren't taken. :)

Today was pull day. I think I really like my 3 day split. I remember this being my favourite method, however, 3 days in a row is not ideal. I am pretty much experiencing soreness in every part of my body right now. Tomorrow back will kick in more of course. Took deadlifts out today, as yesterday was leg day. Wouldn't have maxed out or anything anyway, so it wouldn't have been any fun, just work.

HS High Row:

90x8/180x8/300x4/250x8

*Pleased with this. 4 solid reps, and the 250 afterwards was pretty cool as well.

Single Arm EZ-Curl Bar Row:

155x6/155x6 +120x8 (speed set with DB)

**I confirmed that the bar is 25lbs there. The sets of 6 weren't that tough, other than the left side. It wasn't to failure, just to tired and lazy. Also, had to re-adjust a few times with the left hand. The set using the 120lb db was rediculously fast on the right side.

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns:

200x8/200x6

Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows:

180x8/170x8

DB Preacher Curls:

45x8(6+1 left)/35x8(7 left)

DB Concentration Curls:

30x8(7 left)/25x8

Rear Delt DB Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8

***These weren't very hard. I'll up the weight next time.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8

****First set was with a 2 second pause at the peak. Damn 100s have like the sharpest knurling known to man. My hands were killing!

Did 5 minutes on the bike just to get a bit of active recovery in my burning quads. Then that was it. Decents session. And no traffic going home. :)

ElPietro
12-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Weekly Recap:

Nov. 30th - Dec. 6th:

Saturday: No training. Played Unreal. :mad:
Sunday: No training. Played Unreal. :mad::mad:
Monday: Hockey (2 subs)
Tuesday: Workout - Push
Wednesday: Workout - Legs
Thursday: Workout - Pull

Bleh...coulda been a good week. But started off rather poorly due to time wasted playing Unreal. Did poorly on flat bench but the addition of dips and pullovers have finally rounded out the volume I feel I have been missing on push days of old. Not that it may necessarily indicate anything, but DOMS on pecs, and shoulders were much greater than normal, and even triceps were burnt quite a bit. Legs of course are dead and I walk like a cripple right now. Lats are ok but may be sore tomorrow, or maybe not. Usually day two is my day of pain.

ElPietro
12-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Today was push day.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x3/245x2/315x0(2)/245x4

*Oh well. Again retard spotter, but this time I failed on my own. I took a pretty long pause at the bottom, and started off pretty slow, got stuck partway up, and then the spotter just helped the whole way through the lift, not just the sticking point. I wanted to at least get another negative and somewhat assisted concentric in, so after fighting the guy trying to rack it again I did another rep, but of course the fool helped me the whole way through the lift, so it wasn't much of a set. I'm done trying this wait. Either it was a fluke or something else the first time I did it. I don't care now...I'll just go lower weight.

Inclinde DB Press:

100x4/85x8

**Man, even this I feel super ultra weak. 100s were really tough, fought for each rep.

Dips:

BW -40x2(+BW -60x6)/BW -70x8

***I think I could learn to like dips, but my hands kill when I do this. Feels like they are slipping around on the grip. Usually it's not so much the weight that is hurting, as much as I think my hand will slip, and wrist hurts a bit. But whatever, maybe if I persist I'll become accustom enough with the movement.

145x5/135x5

DB Pullovers:

70x8/70x8

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x6

alternated with:

DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8

Single Arm Reverse Grip Tri Pulldown:

45x8/45x6

Rope Pulldowns:

155x8/155x8

Did a quick set of 20 of leg curls to hopefully help my hammies recover and that was pretty much it. I wasn't very pleased with this session.

JohnCollins
12-07-2002, 05:05 PM
Hey, ElP! I posted about wanting to build a dip station a while back (haven't built it, but finished the plans--hopefully before Christmas).

Anyway, Delphi gave me this link to a bunch of rubber and foam grips. You could probably adapt one of these to your dip handles. No need to worry them onto the bars like bicycle grips, you could just slit them with a razor and wrap them around your dip handles. Your grip would keep them in place, and it would probably make you feel much more secure.

JPC

http://www.fitness-equipment.com/acatalog/Fitness_Equipment_Foam_Grips___Rollers___Handles___Pads_251.html

chris mason
12-07-2002, 05:28 PM
If you weren't such a "free love" advocate, you would have gotten the 315 for 2 reps.....:D

PowerManDL
12-07-2002, 05:30 PM
GOT told!

Boo-YA!

ElPietro
12-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Err...John, I don't think I can just walk in and tear off the current handles on the Gravitron, the gym staff probably wouldn't like that too much. And in fact I believe they are moulded anyway. It's just plastic, which is a bit annoying, because if you sweat at all it gets quite slippery. In a year I'll have my own gym anyway.

Chris, look at my title. Believe me, if love was free, I'd be it's best customer right now! :D

I honestly don't know about the 3 plates. I am pretty sure I did it clean without help the first time. The second time was a crappy session with no food in me. This time I was pretty well rested. Sure I was recovering from those 3 workouts in a row, with one day rest in between, but I don't really wanna make excuses for it. No biggie, it's frustrating to not progress, so I'm gonna drop the weight and start over. It's not like I'm competing for anything, so I'll just slow things down.

JohnCollins
12-08-2002, 07:48 AM
DOH! I was thinking you had that gym in your garage we talked about six months ago.

If it's just slippery that's the problem, though, I think I'm going down the right track. Cut a couple of 6-inch square of that rubber mesh-like stuff they sell to lay under area rugs to keep them from slipping around. Through them in your gym bag. When you get to dips, just lay them on the handles and grip. No more slip. Through them back in your bag. The stuff is kind of tacky, guaranteed not to move, but not sticky-won't leave anything on your hands.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Went to thai boxing last night. Man I need to get back to this...I was starting to feel much better and then didn't really go for a couple weeks and it really shows.

Hips are sore, and I think my left calf is a bit strained from leg day. It hasn't felt quite right since then...but I don't think it's anything to be concerned with. Especially since I'm prolly gonna go do leg day tonight.

Relentless
12-11-2002, 10:36 AM

145x5/135x5

This seems a little low . . . is it just 'coz you were already fragged from the max bench? I know we were chatting about a bit of an OHP contest; I ground out some reps at 155 on Monday; damn hard but I think I'll be able to progress it once i get comfy with the form.

I'd eventually like to put 225 up there, but that'll take some time... the idea of pressing my bodyweight ++ over my head is kinda cool.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 12:29 PM

This seems a little low . . . is it just 'coz you were already fragged from the max bench? I know we were chatting about a bit of an OHP contest; I ground out some reps at 155 on Monday; damn hard but I think I'll be able to progress it once i get comfy with the form.

I'd eventually like to put 225 up there, but that'll take some time... the idea of pressing my bodyweight ++ over my head is kinda cool.

Hmmm...I would say you are doing something not in line with how the form should be, or how we doing them standing. Either incorporating your legs, or not going down, but I guess we can see whenever we meet up for a workout. If you think you can get to 225, then you'll have done more than anyone ever on this site. I think Alex used to use 180 for mid reps if I'm not mistaken, which I could be, but I don't see how you can be doing the same exercise as me, and have such a disparity in weight. From others that have done this exercise in the past, our strength all seemed relatively correct.

Tryska
12-11-2002, 12:31 PM
lp..where and how do you log onto unreal?

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Eh? It's a computer game you goof. You buy the game, and then you click on "Play Online" and it will then start listing servers that are setup. Do you have the game? I would love to shoot you with my big gun! My unreal guy even has hands! :cool:

Tryska
12-11-2002, 12:43 PM
i know the game you assface fragger. i play it regularly here. but i play networked with some of the boys from work. i don't have a "play online" option. i've got a play on mplayer, and play on heat option. I've enver tried either.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 12:46 PM
You are probably on an old version of unreal. Unreal has a few versions, I got the latest one for now, called Unreal Tournament: 2003. I think the first version was a standalone where you could only play via lan for multiplayer. You need to buy the game to play on online servers, as the service will reject you with a pirated cd key. I love playing multiplayer games so this is pretty cool, playing against bots isn't exactly exciting, just good for practice.

It even records ever conceivable stat on your guy when you play online on servers that have it enabled. Although, it's like lagged by 20 days or something, so I have no stats yet. :(

Tryska
12-11-2002, 12:48 PM
yeah i've got the 2000 game of the year version inherited from my predecessor.

maybe i should go out and get the newer one.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Yes, go get it. Go now.

Tryska
12-11-2002, 12:56 PM
shut up. you're not the boss of me.

Relentless
12-11-2002, 01:18 PM

Hmmm...I would say you are doing something not in line with how the form should be, or how we doing them standing. Either incorporating your legs, or not going down, but I guess we can see whenever we meet up for a workout. If you think you can get to 225, then you'll have done more than anyone ever on this site. I think Alex used to use 180 for mid reps if I'm not mistaken, which I could be, but I don't see how you can be doing the same exercise as me, and have such a disparity in weight. From others that have done this exercise in the past, our strength all seemed relatively correct.

well, I did 'em as you suggested they be done in FAngel's thread, I think . . . in front of the head, ROM is _just_ above resting on pect to full extension above; we can critique my form in January I guess

I do have fairly strong delts; I've been doing strict form, solid ROM arnold presses with 75 and 80lb DBs, so it's not really a stretch to put up 155 on a barbell, I think

Alex.V
12-11-2002, 01:23 PM

180, yeah, but I've always had bad shoulders. My overhead pressing strength is actually fairly close to my benching strength, believe it or not, were it not for the fact that it hurts to press in that direction. (I'd figure, with no pain, a roughly 250-260 military for reps) Conversely, I know of guys who can bench high 200's, but have trouble with 135 on militaries. Depends on mechanics, aye?

And UT CTF against 32 souped up bots is teh ace. Especially because humans are either a) stupid, or b) cheap. I'd rather play with computer-controlled guys who let me get the flag and stay the hell outta my way. lol

Relentless
12-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Belial

180, yeah, but I've always had bad shoulders. My overhead pressing strength is actually fairly close to my benching strength, believe it or not, were it not for the fact that it hurts to press in that direction. (I'd figure, with no pain, a roughly 250-260 military for reps) Conversely, I know of guys who can bench high 200's, but have trouble with 135 on militaries. Depends on mechanics, aye?

Well, the proof will be in the pudding come January, I guess.... I appreciate Peter assuming that I'm simply not doing it right (as opposed to simply thinking that I'm lying as no doubt some posters on the internet may do).

Admit it Pete, the real issue is that you don't like the idea of me lifting more than you in an exercise, ain't it? :D

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Cool, we'll see regardless. My shoulders are something of a weak point on me too. But I'd figure that if I can generally outpress you, that you wouldn't somehow just blow me away on another press. Belial, 260 for reps standing? Standing is generally a lot harder than seated right, so you could do 300 seated? That's a shizzy load of weight if so.

My main point was that my lifts sorta feel around where I'd expect it to, in comparison to others that were doing the exercise. But Cals is much different. Strength is still generally relative...so my thought was that if I can outbench Cal by some weight, he shouldn't be able to reverse this trend to such a great degree in a lift that uses many similar musclegroups.

Not that I'm trying to pull you down Cal, if you did it great, if you happen to pass me in strength on a lift I wouldn't outwardly bitch and moan about it. :D ;)

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 01:35 PM

Well, the proof will be in the pudding come January, I guess.... I appreciate Peter assuming that I'm simply not doing it right (as opposed to simply thinking that I'm lying as no doubt some posters on the internet may do).

Admit it Pete, the real issue is that you don't like the idea of me lifting more than you in an exercise, ain't it? :D

Don't worry about that, I know the BSers and the ones that are genuine, and obviously I don't consider you a BSer. I think everyone varies a bit in form, and this can have a dramatic impact on lifts. I know if I were to give a little push with my legs, then that would change this lift dramatically. And I addressed your last thought in my above post which was keyed out as yours was made. ;)

Punk :D

Relentless
12-11-2002, 01:41 PM
I know, I know . . . just messin' around. ;)

One thing to consider; my bench has ALWAYS sucked in comparison to everything else . . . I think it may be partly psychological. By comparison my shoulders are very strong, have never had an injury and I can comfortably press through a large ROM with no pain and great power.

When I do shoulders again next week I will pay particular attention to any leg movement at all . . . as I recall I was a bit worried about balance so I didn't have knees locked out (which I think would be bad anyway) but I found 155 pretty heavy and was more focused on grinding it up once it was about halfway up than I was about getting a start on the movement; I think the bottom part of the movement is where people have problems from injury and as I said that's one thing that's never been a prob for me.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I generally have legs locked unless I think of it. And I don't think of it until my lower back starts screaming, and even then I usually just lean back a bit. Or I use it sorta like as a spotter in a lift I may not get all of.

And Tina, go to your room!

ElPietro
12-12-2002, 07:54 AM
Yesterday was leg day, but I wished to deadlift this week, so I took deadlift from pull day, and put it on leg day, and figured I'd see if I wanted to squat after deads or not, and do a bit of a light leg day altogether.

BB Conventional Deadlifts:

135x?/225x5/315x3/405x1/505x0.666R/405x2

*Bah. Ok having muay thai the night before already had me with a bit of a limp, and I guess a day of rest first would have been better. But even 3 plates felt heavy on warmup. The 405 went up quick, then for the 505, I got it up but couldn't lock it out. I think this is just me having tired legs, as usually I'm stronger on lockout. I know I own this weight, so I wasn't even really too disappointed. I'll back off the maximal poundage for 2-3 weeks though. When I come back though, I won't even bother with this weight, I'll just pass it by. :)

On a side note, my left calf, that I think I strained a bit on squats a week or two ago was acting up a bit. Decided to forgoe squats.

45 Degree Leg Press:

5 sets of 12 plates x6

**Haha, after the first set I knew my legs were fried. When this weight actually is a challenge something is definitely exhausted. I did one set of calf raises in the press, and that was all it took to cause my left calf to go numb. So for the rest of the workout I was limping around quite a bit, and didn't do anymore calf exercise.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/80x8/80x8

Quad Extensions:

5 sets of 8 of 250 (that's the rack)

Seated Leg Curls:

4 or 5 sets of 8 using 150 (that's the rack)

I don't remember doing anything else, so I guess that's it. I'm not sure exactly what I can do to take it easy on the calf, but I'll just let it rest for a bit and hopefully things will be fine. Mainly the pain will only come when the ankle is flexed, so like when crouching down, etc.

Have an xmas party tonight so no training, and I took of friday and monday just because.

ElPietro
12-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Weekly Recap:

Dec. 7th - 13th

Saturday: Workout - Push
Sunday: Rest
Monday: No training, due to other unforseen errands :mad:
Tuesday: Muay Thai
Wednesday: Light Leg day + Deads
Thursday: No training due to xmas party :mad:
Friday: Day off work/Rest

Bah 3 days is unacceptable, although monday I expected to train, but wasn't able to.

Ok today I went for a push session. Prolly shoulda been pull but I'm gonna do that tomorrow hopefully.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/225x3/255x6/225x8

*Was pretty happy I guess. Spotter didn't touch the bar on the set of 255, and I didn't have a spotter for the set of 225. Just figure I'll back off the weight a bit on this for a couple weeks.

Incline DB Bench Press:

100x5/85x6

**Bah. I dunno why I keep grabbing the 100s. They are a bit too much after doing flat bench.

Dips:

BW -60/BW -70x8

***Feeling a bit better here. Still grip is bothering me on this thing but not enough to stop. Still feels odd but I'll get it.

Lying DB Pullovers:

75x8/75x8

155 x 3 or 4(can't remember)/135x6

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8

Alternated with...

DB Front Raise:

25x6/25x6

Single Arm Reverse Grip Tri Pulldown:

45x8/45x8/45x8

Triceps Pushdown:

rack x8/rack x8

Pulldown Abs on Lat Pulley:

65x6/95x8/95x8

****Pretty tough.

That's it. I'm prolly gonna stick to lighter weights for a couple weeks. I may not weight train at all during the week this week. I wouldn't mind going tomorrow, and then spending the rest of this week at thai boxing and getting in a bit better cardiovascular shape.

ElPietro
12-18-2002, 07:38 AM
AM cardio: 20 minutes on ellyptical. That is all.

IceRgrrl
12-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Nice job...it's hard to get up and make yourself go to the gym, but once you're there, you feel glad that you did it! :)

ElPietro
12-18-2002, 07:43 AM
Yes, I guess the need to become less fat has finally superceded the need for an additional hour or so of sleep. :)

ElPietro
12-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, I was too tired after work to go to muay thai. So I decided to do pull day instead. Of course, I had already worn my gym clothes in the morning, so I had to go out and buy more. Needed some new stuff anyway, so no biggie.

Gonna keep things nice and light for a week or two.

HS High Rows:

90x8/180x8/270x8/250x8

*Not too bad. I feel a bit of a click now and then out of my elbow on heavy reps, but no pain.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**Haha, did these pretty much as speed sets. I basically just ripped them up, except for the last couple reps on the left arm as it is still weak in comparison.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x8

***Pretty tough. I don't lean into it or any BS like that. If I can't keep static and do a rep I will stop first.

CG Seated Cable Rows:

220x6

****Blah, was tired, so I left my lats alone.

40x8/40x7/30x8

Rear Delt DB Flies:

30x8/30x8/25x8

DB Concentration Curls:

30x6/30x6/30x6/25x8

DB Shrugs:

120x6/120x8/100x8

*****First set was done with a 2 second pause at peak contraction. The 100s suck, they have like the sharpest knurling known to man for some reason. Skin is always donated to the DB god with these.

DB Hammer Curls:

30sx8/30sx8

******Just did these to see if I had much wrist pain still. Wrist hurt, but not badly, I actually felt my muscles work a bit. Maybe I'll slowly try to get these in, and perhaps it will help strenthen my wrist back.

That's it.

Manveet
12-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Skin is always donated to the DB god with these.

my hands have permanent calluses, I think I should use gloves.

Franjipani
12-19-2002, 05:45 AM
The 100s suck, they have like the sharpest knurling known to man for some reason. Skin is always donated to the DB god with these.

*lol*

I love your shop as you go attitude.....tres cool ;)

ElPietro
12-19-2002, 07:42 AM
Yes, rest in between sets is generally spent picking at calluses. :)

Hey Franji how's life treatin ya!

Made it to the gym for morning cardio. Barely. I don't know why I think snoozing for an additional 3 minutes will make a difference, but I will go through the effort of resetting my alarm clock like 5 times in the morning before i get up some times. But at least I did get up. Then I forgot to put in gas but somehow miraculously made it to a gas station when I finally realized that I didn't fill up last night cuz I thought I'd do it in the morning, then 20 minutes of driving later finally figured it out.

Anyway, training was just 20 minutes on the ellyptical again. I think I need to move on to the treadmill to get a better sweat going. Or maybe, I may try putting a couple workouts in the morning, if I can get up early enough to give myself enough time to actually complete a proper workout.

Relentless
12-20-2002, 01:27 PM
I think everyone varies a bit in form, and this can have a dramatic impact on lifts. I know if I were to give a little push with my legs, then that would change this lift dramatically.

Retested Standing Overhead Militaries today.

No leg pushing. My reps at 155 were totally righteous.

Boyakasha!!!

ElPietro
12-20-2002, 01:30 PM
155 isn't bad. It was when you said you thought that you could hit 225 that had me wondering. Good job though. Try doing them after heavy bench and the rest of your chest day as well. Makes them even more fun! :D

Relentless
12-20-2002, 02:03 PM
What I posted was "I'd eventually like to put 225 up there, but that'll take some time... the idea of pressing my bodyweight ++ over my head is kinda cool.".

I figure if I focus on it, I can do it by about this time next year.

ElPietro
12-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Careful you don't get too hung up on the overall number that you are lifting bro. Just get stronger consistently, as the number on the plate over your head doesn't really matter, just as long as it gets bigger over time. :)

You've come quite a ways though since the workout we had. Glad to see the site has probably helped in that aspect a bit. I find that it definitely helps me, even if much of my posting is social now, the fact that this site is training related keeps weight training front and centre.

ElPietro
12-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Light leg day.

Squats:

135x6/225x?/315x5/315x3/225x6

45 Degree Leg Press:

14 plates x6/14 plates x6/14 plates x6/14 plates x6/10 plates x8

Leg Press Calf Raise:

4 sets with 14 plates, variety of speed reps, slow reps, and pause at peak reps.

80x8/70x8

Some punk was on the lying hammy machine so I skipped it.

Seated Leg Curl:

90x10/150x8/150x8/150x8

Leg Extensions:

250x8/

Then single leg at a time:

130x8/140x8

Leg Raise:

2 sets of 8

That's it.

rookiebldr
12-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Glad to see the site has probably helped in that aspect a bit. I find that it definitely helps me, even if much of my posting is social now, the fact that this site is training related keeps weight training front and centre.

What, this site has a social side to it! There is more than the bodybuilding forums? I think it's time I do some more exploring. psst, training first though. ;)

Relentless
12-20-2002, 11:22 PM
LOL @ rookiebldr

thanks for the words, P.

Franjipani
12-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Some punk was on the lying hammy machine so I skipped it.

Yeah, that'll teach him....dammit ! :p

ElPietro
12-24-2002, 10:13 AM
Forgot last weeks recap:

Dec. 14th - Dec. 20th

Saturday: Workout - Push
Sunday: Went to Bills game so no training.
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest :mad:
Wednesday: AM Cardio
Thursday: AM Cardio + Evening workout - Pull
Friday: Workout - Legs

That was an ok week. Can't remember what I did, but I know I missed a few days for errands and crap.

This week I haven't done any training at all really. :( My brother and his wife are in from England for the holidays, so I'm a bit busy with them. Saturday I had a party in Barrie, and did get some exercise, as they rented an ice rink for 2 hours. Sunday, I was dead tired, but by the time I got back from barrie I only had time to do my xmas shopping. I'm surprised I managed to NOT punch anyone in the back of the head, for stopping at random when they are infront of me, or stupid parents who really put the meaning of the word "stroll" in stroller. Oh well, got most of my shopping done. I'll finish things off at lunchtime today.

Just found out my gym closes at 3pm today, and I get out around 2pm-ish, so not really time to workout, as they'll probably want everyone in the change rooms by 2:45, so that wouldn't leave me time for much at all. I guess my only exercise this week will come on friday if I'm lucky. This isn't very good, since I already can hear myself getting fatter by the minute, as diet has really taken a dive for the holidays. :(

JohnCollins
12-24-2002, 01:30 PM
This isn't very good, since I already can hear myself getting fatter by the minute, as diet has really taken a dive for the holidays. :(

Me too! :cry: At least I started the holidays 20 pounds lighter than last year. It's almost over.

Merry Christmas, ElP!

ElPietro
12-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Damn my relatives...does anyone know how many calories are in almost an entire f*cking box of chocolate turtles? :(

Miss Rezza
12-26-2002, 11:22 PM
Damn my relatives...does anyone know how many calories are in almost an entire f*cking box of chocolate turtles? :(

ROFLMAO!! :p

Sorry LP, can't say i do!

The most important question is: did you really enjoy those chocolate turtles??? If your answer is yes, then who cares how many cals were in 'em!! ;).......... your enjoyment totally negates the calorie content........ honestly! :)

JohnCollins
12-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Miss Rezza

your enjoyment totally negates the calorie content........ honestly! :)

Honestly!? ElPietro, it will all be over in a few more days. Inside of 2 weeks you'll have made up for all the damage of the holidays. Just think of this as "Cheat Week" instead of cheat day.

It is annoying, though, all this crap around that you usually avoid by not having it around. . .it's everywhere. The kitchen at the office, packages at home, the neighbors. Holidays = swimming in crap food & junk.

Delphi
12-27-2002, 05:39 AM
My parents arrive today. They will import their entire stock of cookies, candy, and other assorted crap with them. We'll each get a box of chocolate coveried cherries, which will be thrown away the moment they leave. They will get their own ice cream at the store on the way in, and Dad will have his own supply of gin or vodka. It's amazing they don't weight 300 apiece. We've given up trying to tell them not to bring that crap with them. We just throw it away when they leave.

ElPietro
12-27-2002, 07:20 AM
Yes, the only other problem, is I still have a toblerone bar left to eat. Man, if only running around and shooting people in Unreal counted as exercise...

Oh well, I am here at my desk today, and will get a session in after work. It is time to try and reverse some of the damage that has been piling up for a while.

ElPietro
12-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Well, I decided to venture back to the gym today. I am in the midst of adjusting my training, so I was a bit confused on what to do, so I just did a little bit of everything. :)

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/295x1+2/225x8

*Wow, I suck. Figured I'd get 3 unassisted, but I think I had fingertip assist on the second, and help through the sticking point on the third as well. :( Oh well.

Deadlifts:

135x5/225x4/315x4/405x3/505x0.9

**Oh well, I didn't plan on trying to max out. But the 405 felt pretty light, and I was disappointed on bench so figured I'd give it a shot. Maybe the triple before it tired me out, but whatever. I was damned close to locking it. I looked up and it looked like I was hunched over, so I figured I missed it, and couldn't pull back any further. It made quite a kaboom when the BB hit the floor though. :cool:

Seated Leg Curls:

120x8/150x8/150x8/150x8

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x6

DB Front Raise:

25x8/20x8

DB Preacher Curls:

35x6/35x6

Single Arm Triceps Pulldowns:

55x6/55x6/55x6

I probably did some other exercises and have forgotten, but this was just sorta a wake-up call workout anyway.

Then jumped on the treadmill and did 5, 1 minute intervals jogging at 6.5 with 2 minutes recovery at 3.0. Total of 15 minutes on. Wasn't too bad.

Franjipani
12-28-2002, 12:21 AM
I probably did some other exercises and have forgotten, but this was just sorta a wake-up call workout anyway.

*lol*

Like I would EVER forget any bit of my grueling workout....

Glad to see you are doing cardio to work off all that chocolate ;)

ElPietro
12-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Franji, it is SO necessary, regardless of whether or not I eat anymore chocolate. :cry:

Anyway, look at me, I went to the gym today!

I have formulated a new routine, based somewhat strongly on some HST principles, and loosely on a bit of westside-ish stuff, but I am too lazy to post it and it's sitting on my desk at work anyway. It's not completely finalized so today is about 90% on as for what i would normally do. There will be 3 days, and each day will be a full body workout of some kind. I'm sure it will evolve as well, so nothing is written in stone.

BB Powercleans + OH press/Push Press:

95x5/135x3/155x3/165x3+2/175x2+1/175x3+2

*Ok, I'm a bit all over the place here. I've only done the exercise once in my life, so wasn't sure what weight would be appropriate. I pulled from a slight crouch, so legs helped a bit, but not as explosively as if I had pulled from the floor, or a foot off. The presses I did were mostly militaries, but some I helped myself with the legs, and they are indicated by the number following the "+" sign. The weight in pretty much all instances were easy, pressing 175 was not though. I managed a couple without any legs though so that was cool. I missed a rep in the first set of 175 because I underestimated it a bit, and wasn't really going all out with the explosiveness. I'll debate whether or not I'll start the pull from the bottom pins or not. Next time will go much heavier, and do several sets of 3 with press/push presses.

Squats:

135x5/225x3/315x2/375x1

**Well, the powercleans were a decent warmup for squats. 375 actually felt pretty good. It wasn't easy, but I almost went down for another, not that I didn't think I could manage, but I thought I'd do another set after, but in the end I didn't bother. All reps in all sets were definitely to parallel from my point of view. I was supposed to do calf raises with the bar on my back for this, but it felt uncomfortable just from being flat footed on the ground, and with 375 bouncing around on my back everytime I came down, I stopped after a few reps. I'll figure something out at a later date. I don't want to load up the fooking calf raise harness.

BB Bench Rack Lockouts:

135x8/225x?/315x3/365x2/395x2

***These will be part of my program now. I don't think lockout strength is the issue. But over the course of the 3 days in this new workout, bench will be deconstructed into components. I may not actually flat bench too often, other than max testing, although I did a bit of flat bench today.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10 (speed)/225x8 (slow)

****LOL, the set of 135 was so damn quick, I almost lost my grip on the bar at the peak it was going so fast. :D 'Bout 30 second rest before the set of 225.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6/120x6

*****Kept these light, didn't bring down my straps to help stabilize if I was gonna use the ez-curl bar. So broke it up into 3 sets of 6 instead of 2 of 8. I'll go up to 165 next time I guess, prolly for two sets.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

230x5/210x6/190x6

:rolleyes:

DB Preacher Curls:

35x6/35x6/35x6

:rolleyes:

Feeling ill at this point.

Single Arm Reverse-grip Triceps Pulldown:

55x6/55x6/55x6

Seated Leg Curl:

120x8/150x8/150x8/150x8 (150=rack)

Well, I felt ill, but really pumped up at the same time. I enjoyed the powercleans, and the heavy squats. Decided I'd throw my fat ass on the treadmill for some intervals to finish me off.

Did 5 intervals of 1 minute at 6.5 with 2 minute breaks at 3.0. From now on, I'll consider this the standard, and will just say how many intervals I've done. Total time is 15 minutes.

That's it. :)

ElPietro
01-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! :(

JohnCollins
01-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Permission to add that to my sig, sir! I'm looking to change it and that's a classic!

I'm still a fat, lazy pig, but the wife and I decided to stay in last night, and I feel great!

Happy New Year.

JC

Franjipani
01-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! :(

LMAO..... gotta luv that;).

Hope you had a wicked night just the same...

btw... i love your avatar....and I like what I see :D

rookiebldr
01-01-2003, 10:33 PM

I have formulated a new routine, based somewhat strongly on some HST principles, and loosely on a bit of westside-ish stuff...

You're back to a HST type routine? How are you planning on changing it to avoid the pitfalls that you ran into the last time? But good luck with the new routine. Looks like you're starting out with the low rep stuff first.

ElPietro
01-01-2003, 10:50 PM
JC sure man, quote or misquote however you like. :D

Franji, thank you for the kind words. :) New Years was pretty good. It was a "not-so-rowdy" time with some good friends. One of my best friends and his girl who is also a good friend, got engaged about a week ago, so was nice to see em.

Rookie, I guess I shouldn't say it's based on HST, all I meant by that is that it will be full body quite frequently. I will manage by reducing weight or exercises if I feel any problems with joints/tendons. It may be sorta like a light/heavy alternating type deal, or at least on the compounds. I dunno, this will be a bit more instinctive towards reps and weights. I just feel that higher frequency may yield me greater results at this time.

ElPietro
01-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Ok this weekend was a bit of a meet-up between some cool wbb members. I got to play host in Toronto to IceRgrrl, the_doc, and rookiebldr, although he lives in the city. There were others that were included in the plans, but for a variety of homo-erotic reasons, could not attend in the end. ;)

Everyone was cool, IceR I've met a few times before, Mark aka the_doc, appears even more horny in person than online. He practically had hump emoticons floating around him as he tried to prey upon all the Toronto women at once. :p

Rookie was cool as well, as the most "senior" member of the group, it didn't really show, as he kept up with everyone and was cool to hang out with.

I'm sure we'll have a thread elsewhere eventually, perhaps with pictures, so I'll just post my workout. I think I remember most of it, as it was saturday morning.

We all went over to my gym, and took over the corner, which has 5 power racks, so it could accomodate all the barbell curls we needed to do. :D

Anyway, since this is my journal, I'll post what I did.

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/225x5/315x3/405x1/495x1

*The 495 I underestimated a bit, as I'd done it before. I guess just because I've done it doesn't mean I don't need to work for it. Held it at lockout for a couple seconds to be sure. When it dropped it made a nice little kaboom. :) Think Mark got a shot as I was pulling it up, with a "nice" facial expression. ;)

Hang Cleans:

115x5/145x3/195x1

**I think I did another set somewhere in there, but I can't remember. I missed the first rep of 195, as I think I underestimated the explosiveness required, but second rep I got, and it wasn't too hard. Even put an overhead press on it, with some leg assist, so I guess closer to a push press. Fun exercise, and IceRgrrl was the resident expert making sure our form was up to her lofty standards. :)

Incline DB Bench:

50x10/100x5/100x4

:mad:

HS High Rows:

180x10/270x6

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x6/200x6

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl:

2x0.5 :D /40x6/40x6/40x6

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldown:

55x6/55x6/55x6

***I may have done four sets but I forget now. No biggie.

Seated Leg Curls:

120x10/150x8/150x8/150x8 rack=150

****Did these quite fast. I guess I'll start needing to do them one leg at a time.

I think that was it. Everyone seemed to enjoy the workout. All three of em brought their damned cameras, so whatever reputation I had at my gym as a mean, silent guy, is probably ruined, by bringing the circus show to town. :p It is quite odd when you are doing a set, and all of a sudden a flash goes off and you hear Mark start giggling at the angle he caught Icer at. :D

Went for some japanese after at the restaurant beside my gym, and that was a great meal/show, as the teppanyaki chef seemed to think of himself as an amateur stand-up comic. I think Icer was going to fight him, but showed excellent restraint. :D

Well I guess that's it for now, until some incriminating photos start flying around. It was a really fun weekend, and everyone was really cool, and most certainly welcome back to train at the gym or bar with me anytime. :)

rookiebldr
01-05-2003, 09:10 PM
LP, thanks for the fun time. You were a perfect host and since I was designated driver, I was able to keep my composure and drive your cool car. ;)

p.s. Let's not use "senior" and "rookiebldr" in the same sentence. tuttut

Miss Rezza
01-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Mark aka the_doc, appears even more horny in person than online. He practically had hump emoticons floating around him as he tried to prey upon all the Toronto women at once. :p

LMAO!! :p

That'd be right!

JohnCollins
01-06-2003, 04:52 AM

p.s. Let's not use "senior" and "rookiebldr" in the same sentence. tuttut

Be careful what you wish for, Rookie--ElP is the kind who can come up with much worse. "senior" ain't so bad. ;)

ElPietro
01-07-2003, 07:56 AM
Last night marked the return of the hockey season. We decided to let our goalie play out for a game, and put are crappiest guy in net. We won 8-1, and scored the one goal that was put in our net.

Post game consisted of 2 heinekens. :cool:

Today is my first day back at the office. Had a nice sh!tty drive in, and looks like it'll be a long day. Have a hockey game at 9:30 tonight. Brought my stuff and may workout after work, if I feel energized enough.

IceRgrrl
01-07-2003, 08:08 AM
In my defense, I was not fighting about food...the chef was a funny guy but his jokes were definitely on the sexist side, but I restrained myself from much commentary :angel:

IceRgrrl
01-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Whoa...my post just appeared in the past...time travel is a reality :eek:

IceRgrrl
01-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks for being such a cool host to all of us out-of-towners, El P. Your gym was really cool and it was great to work out with some people who all share the same obsession. That's the most "social" workout I've ever had!

doc and rookie were really cool...fun, intelligent people to hang out with who are easy to talk to on a variety of subjects, although I think we all learned more about Mark than we may have wanted to...LOL!

ElPietro
01-07-2003, 08:24 AM
doc and rookie were really cool...fun, intelligent people to hang out with who are easy to talk to on a variety of subjects, although I think we all learned more about Mark than we may have wanted to...LOL!

Yes, I think the theme of this weekend was "Too Much Information!" :D

Ps. Feel free to come back anytime IceR. :hump: :drooling:

Pup
01-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Icer fighting someone about food...why does this not surprise me...glad y'all had a great time, someday, when i'm not poor, i will attend one of these gatherings.

ElPietro
01-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Ok, had back to back hockey games. So last night was the second game. Had 7 skaters show up, so two subs is as good as it gets for our team. We won, 5-2, I scored twice. :cool: Post-game consisted of a couple pitchers and chicken wings. :)

JohnCollins
01-08-2003, 07:29 PM
We won, 5-2, I scored twice. :cool:

Woot woot! Nice skatin', Tex! :thumbup:

ElPietro
01-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Ok, TODAYS workout was ok. Few new faces, but the gym wasn't too busy. Few more cardio bunnies, but nobody was in my way for the workout, so I guess so far the January loser parade hasn't impacted my workouts.

My workouts are roughly 3 days a week, and roughly full body. But each of the 3 days will be a different group of exercises for each bodypart, and will generally adhere to a bit of consistency, but also will be partly based on what I feel like, and also intensity will vary as well, perhaps going heavy/light on certain compounds as they will eventually conflict. I will then go through maybe one week in 5 or so where i take a week to build up to max lifts in the big three. We'll see how this goes anyway.

So today:

Dips:

bw -100x10/bw -40x8/bw -40x8

*This wasn't bad at all. I may for these just go to a regular dip/leg raise thing. I don't think doing bodyweight will be an issue for me. Considering with clothes on, and after a day of eating I'm probably around 260-265lbs I guess that's not too bad. Maybe one day I can graduate to a weight belt too. :)

DB Pullovers:

75x10/75x8

**Bah, too easy. I did the second set pretty fast. Next time I'll grab the 85s or something.

Single-leg Leg Extensions

150x8/160x8/170x8

***I may have gotten the weight wrong here...but who cares, it's leg extensions. Warmed up with 250 on both legs but didn't put it up there.

80x8/80x8/80x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x8/210x6

DB Delt Raises:

30x8/30x8

Supersetted with:

DB Front Raise:

25x6/25x6

DB Concentration Curls:

35x8/35x8 :rolleyes:

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8 155=the rack

I think that's all I did for weights. I then decided to get my fat ass on the treadmill for some intervals. I did 6 intervals, which is a new ElPietro record, as before I only did 5. So that's 18 minutes on with 6 minutes at 6.5 and 12 at 3.0. I think I might just try to up the intervals by one or two each week. I was going to go for 7 intervals, which I coulda, but was taking it easy, as my lower back was burning a bit. The lower back was sore because of the back to back hockey games, which is also why there wasn't anything for spinal erectors or anything like that in the workout itself.

Went and looked at appliances YET AGAIN, after my workout. I have finally made pretty much my final decision. I am buying all Jenn-air Stainless steel, and it's going to cost me a bloody fortune. But I figure in 10 years I don't wanna smack myself for not spending that extra couple thousand for REALLY cool appliances, instead of just cool appliances. No homo comments from the peanut gallery please.

Oh and I got my juicer too. Maybe I'll give'er a spin tonight. :cool:

Delphi
01-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Did you ever get a power cage? Your joinal is way too long to look back.

the doc
01-08-2003, 07:43 PM

Yes, I think the theme of this weekend was "Too Much Information!" :D

LOL!

ElPietro
01-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Delphi, I won't even have my house until september, so no. But I think I may have just decided today to not build a home gym. I just started thinking, if I build one, I'd need to buy a sh!tload of stuff, to equal a real gym. I also, sorta enjoy going to a gym, and also the fact that it will also have a greater variety of exercises to do there, along with cardio machines. And if I ever move that would be a b!tch to bring along if it even fits wherever I go. So decided to save the cash. Besides, my basement is finished, so I can turn it into an uber-party place.

Mark, yes I think that is the official theme name for the weekend now! :D

Delphi
01-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Can't go wrong with Jenn-Air. We got a stove/oven with the grill thingy on top. I like cooking bacon on it, because the exhaust fan keeps the whole house (and my hair and clothing) from smelling like burning pig parts.

Franjipani
01-09-2003, 04:14 AM
I am buying all Jenn-air Stainless steel, and it's going to cost me a bloody fortune.... No homo comments from the peanut gallery please.

*lol*

My flatmate just bought a super-dupa wizz bang set of knives worth about $600 and heaps of domestic stuff too...... I love the fact guys really get into this stuff... :D.

JohnCollins
01-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Went and looked at appliances YET AGAIN, after my workout. I have finally made pretty much my final decision. I am buying all Jenn-air Stainless steel, and it's going to cost me a bloody fortune. But I figure in 10 years I don't wanna smack myself for not spending that extra couple thousand for REALLY cool appliances, instead of just cool appliances. No homo comments from the peanut gallery please.

No homo comments. If you invite me to one of your future WBB get togethers I hereby volunteer to be the group chef! Sounds like a great kitchen. Good kitchens give me a chubby.

Delphi, what's wrong with the smell of burning pig parts??

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Yeah spending all that dough on appliances, I should at least learn how to make a sandwich or something. Maybe Icer can teach me, she's SO domestic. :D :hide:

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 06:59 AM
So here are the appliances I have pretty much decided on. The only thing that could possibly change is the fridge, from bottom freezer, to side by side.

Bottom-Freezer Fridge. (http://www.jenn-air.com/ja/products/prod_detail.jsp?model=JCB2059GES&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

Slide-in Range. (http://www.jenn-air.com/ja/products/prod_detail.jsp?model=JES8850AAW&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) You actually have to click the stainless button to see the exact range, the displayed one is white.

Microwave. (http://www.jenn-air.com/ja/products/prod_detail.jsp?model=JMV8196AAW&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) Again, click the stainless button for a proper view of the right one.

Dishwaser is tucked under the island, and may end up being from kitchenAid, so whatever, that'll be a last minute decision.

Here is the alternate fridge I was considering: Side-by-Side. (http://www.jenn-air.com/ja/products/prod_detail.jsp?model=JSD2789GES&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

I am pretty excited at how things will look and function in the end, unfortunately it's still 8 months till the fookin place will be complete. I hate waiting. :(

IceRgrrl
01-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Nice job on the intervals...they're fun, aren't they? The "on" parts can be tough, but you know there's a bit of a rest coming up so it's not that bad :)

As for you and your appliances...and you accuse ME of being domestic :rolleyes: Never in the history of mankind has someone made such a big deal over buying kitchen crap! And my one and only domestic talent is that I can cook...and that's only when I feel like it and because I like to eat ;)

Make sure you invite us all to the big housewarming party...

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:41 AM
I won't be inviting John if he's going to be getting a chubby! :eek:

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Bah, stupid jenn-air and it's fookin time-out crap on it's site. Who the hell would think that is a good feature. :mad:

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Now I am determined to show off this crap. *mutter*

Here's the fridge I will most likely get.

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Range.

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Over the range Microwave/Hood.

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Potential alternate fridge.

Relentless
01-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Nice appliances. If you start busting out some Martha Stewartisms, I will hunt you down and kill you for your own good. ;)

ElPietro
01-09-2003, 11:34 AM
I cannot stand watching/listening to martha stewart for more than about 5 seconds. Her and Barney drive me nuts.

rookiebldr
01-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Great stuff LP. And if you don't use it, I will. I'm a lot closer and have tons of recipes and experience at my disposal.

JohnCollins
01-09-2003, 05:41 PM
I won't be inviting John if he's going to be getting a chubby! :eek:

Restaurant-grade cooking equipment can do that to me. You won't notice it, however, I'll be wearing an apron.

Menu
Champagne with assorted cheeses & Bruschetta
Charred Tomato Soup
Caesar Salad
Roast Pork Loin with mission figs, honey, cinnamon, and wine vinegar
Potatoes Anna
Green beans with sauteed slivered almonds
Tiramisu with coffee or tea
Port and cigars

JPC

rookiebldr
01-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by JohnCollins
Menu
Champagne with assorted cheeses & Bruschetta
Charred Tomato Soup
Caesar Salad
Roast Pork Loin with mission figs, honey, cinnamon, and wine vinegar
Potatoes Anna
Green beans with sauteed slivered almonds
Tiramisu with coffee or tea
Port and cigars

JPC

I hope that's a cheat meal.

JohnCollins
01-10-2003, 04:19 AM
That's a celebrate an awesome kitchen meal! Since I'm not a bber, I eat like this when the mood strikes :D . If you're super careful about your diet, You just take the day off, I guess.

I just watch what I eat to maintain weight (although I want to lose a little more still), and I just lift to improve my strength and look better. I don't bother with all the precision a lot of the bbers do. I stay less cranky that way ;).

xraygirl
01-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Well daaaym! Wait till Aug to do this meal! I'll be in PA visiting the outlaws then.

IceRgrrl
01-10-2003, 06:55 AM
See El P? Men CAN cook...and cook very well (that is one very appealing menu, JC). See JC, rookie, or Belial for tips :D

And I just want to put in on record that it was Callahan who mentioned Martha Stewart in public and not me!

ElPietro
01-10-2003, 07:46 AM
You can still make me a sandwich woman!

Ps. I love when the f*cking highway gets shut down. Took over 1.5 hours to drive to work today. :mad:

ElPietro
01-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Workout today.

Power Cleans:

135x6/185x3/185x3/185x3/185x3

*Fun stuff. :)

Squats:

135x6/225x3/315x3/315x3

**Coulda kept going, or raised the weight, but if I'm gonna be doing sort of a full body 3x per week I can't go too gung-ho with the volume.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/295x3/185x8

***The 135 was done at very fast speed, exploding through it. 225 was just warmup. The 295 was all me, and I was relatively pleased. I won't be benching too often in this program, but felt like it. My elbow was sore though, as a result of it being hyper-extended in my last hockey game. I was gonna do the set of 185 very fast, but only did it moderately quick, and it was quite painful too.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/90x6/90x6

****I did these all pretty much explosively, so I was really pleased here. Hamstring seems stronger than ever. I know about a month or so ago, my left hammy would shake during a max dead, but that has gone away as well, so pretty good indication that's it's recovered and getting stronger. :)

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

*****Did these fast as well, although it was much slower on my left side.

Single-arm DB Preacher Curls:

45x5/45x5

Single-arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldowns:

65x6/65x6

Shoulda probably done some shoulder and calf stuff, but didn't felt exhausted after this. I guess powercleans, squats and bench in one session can take a lot out of me.

Which is why I was surprised when i walked over to a treadmill. I did 5 intervals, so 15 minutes on. This was my most proud moment of the workout. After the first interval, my shins were dying, as they were sore from the last one. I was trying to force myself to do 3 intervals, but after each one, I just forced myself to do one more, and then one more again. Mucho pain in the end, mucho tired as well.

Feeble attempt to stretch and then that was it.

ElPietro
01-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Weekly Review:

Jan. 4th - Jan 10th

Saturday: Workout (with WBB ppl)
Sunday: Rest
Monday: Hockey (2 alternates)
Tuesday: Hockey (2 alternates)
Wednesday: Workout
Thursday: Rest

ElPietro
01-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Got roped into bouncing at a club downtown saturday night. Was actually pretty fun. I was the "stand outside the bathrooms and make sure people don't bring glass in" guy. So I got to socialize with all the drunk women. I was propositioned once, and had quite a few kisses on the cheek and other interesting conversations. I guess I looked totally secret service-like in all black with a earpiece and mic. Got home at 3:30am though. So slept in pretty late. Eventually got to the gym.

Today's workout:

HS High Pulls:

110x8/180x6/270x6/250x6

Incline DB Press:

100x6/100x5

Standing Military Press:

145x4/135x6

*Bah. I guess i shouldn't do these right after incline press. Or at least take a bit of a break first.

45 degree Leg Press:

4 sets of 5 using 14 plates (not failure or anything like that)

Also did calf raises on the leg press.

Seated Leg Curls:

rack x8/rack x8

DB Rear Delt Raise

30x6/30x6/30x6

Hammer Curls:

45x6/45x6

Supersetted with:

Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldown:

65x6/65x6

That's it. Watched football postworkout with some beer.

I need to get a handle on my diet. It's pretty out of control, and I'm probably getting pretty damned fat from all this excess and gluttony.

rookiebldr
01-12-2003, 06:55 PM
I was the "stand outside the bathrooms and make sure people don't bring glass in" guy. So I got to socialize with all the drunk women. I was propositioned once, and had quite a few kisses on the cheek and other interesting conversations. I guess I looked totally secret service-like in all black with a earpiece and mic.

Or maybe like one of the mob boys.

I need to get a handle on my diet. It's pretty out of control, and I'm probably getting pretty damned fat from all this excess and gluttony.

Actually, you're just really really solid. :D :D

ElPietro
01-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks rookie, actually that club gets quite a few celebs. It was a tame night, but working somewhere where they say, "just be careful, because bobby Deniro comes often, and his bodyguards are packing." That makes me worry a smidge. Damned VIPs!

rookiebldr
01-12-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm guessing then it was the club we talked about last week. ;)

the doc
01-12-2003, 07:41 PM
note to all readers: In reality LP is a wuss and i have proof

muhahahahaha

BCC
01-12-2003, 07:48 PM
lmao

Alex.V
01-12-2003, 07:51 PM
LOL!

MonStar
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
LOL..

ElPietro
01-12-2003, 10:18 PM
What? What's so funny? I almost had that b!tch up, but couldn't get past the fooking sticking point! :mad:

I thought it was all about progression, and not what weight we were actually lifting. :cry:

JohnCollins
01-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Thanks, ElP! Now I feel better about my weights! You've done wonders for my self image, God Bless you, sir!

*dons pink tights to go down to basement smith machine--AND FEELS GOOD ABOUT IT!*

BTW, with a gig like that, Tryska's gonna come looking for you soon! Maybe she'll ask you to go to Nyawlins with her! :eek: That would be fun!

ElPietro
01-13-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm glad I could make you feel better about yourself John. :(

What is Nyawlins? Or is that slang-type for New Orleans?

the doc
01-13-2003, 07:19 AM
What? What's so funny? I almost had that b!tch up, but couldn't get past the fooking sticking point! :mad:

I thought it was all about progression, and not what weight we were actually lifting. :cry:

dont worry man, just keep at it and you'll catch up with me in no time

JohnCollins
01-13-2003, 07:06 PM

What is Nyawlins? Or is that slang-type for New Orleans?

Yep. Folks who actually live in New Orleans pronounce it NYAW-lins. You should go as your "bouncer self" to protect Tryska from all the riff raff down there. ;)

ElPietro
01-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately, she has severed both of my hands protecting herself, thus rendering me unable to defend her. :(

Update: Had my first ball hockey game tonight with my old IBM league. We lost 14-15. :mad: Got a good sweat up, scored 4 or 5 goals, not that it matters in such high scoring games, but their goalie was really good, so that's why we lost. Ball hockey will be every monday for the next couple months.

Tomorrow I have hockey so I won't be training till wednesday.

rookiebldr
01-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Update: Had my first ball hockey game tonight with my old IBM league. We lost 14-15. :mad: Got a good sweat up, scored 4 or 5 goals, not that it matters in such high scoring games, but their goalie was really good, so that's why we lost. Ball hockey will be every monday for the next couple months.

:omg: You (or should I say your team) actually lost a game!!!!

rookiebldr
01-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by the doc
note to all readers: In reality LP is a wuss and i have proof

muhahahahaha

And just to show that LP is not always a wuss, here he is doing inclines with 100's.

It's a bit out of focus and dark because I didn't want to get too close with those weights flying about. ;)