PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Franjipani
01-14-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
So I got to socialize with all the drunk women. I was propositioned once, and had quite a few kisses on the cheek and other interesting conversations.

LMAO... That must have been heaven for ya Pete :p...

ElPietro
01-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

LMAO... That must have been heaven for ya Pete :p...

Haha, yeah, to the point that I'll risk getting shot to go work there perhaps more regularly. :p

ElPietro
01-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Back from hockey a bit ago. We won. I finally decided to go out and buy new gloves on my lunchbreak today. So it was odd having a "palm" in my hockey gloves. I have played the last three years with only the outter padding, and my bare hand underneath on the stick.

I guess it worked out. I nabbed two goals, one being a brilliant come-out from the corner where I roofed a backhand over the goalies shoulder. :cool: I had a moment of silence as I tossed my old gloves in the trash. I think I'd had them for at least 10 years. :(

Post game consisted of beer. :)

ElPietro
01-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Man had a bad start to the day. My desk is basically a circus sideshow at work, and my VP has basically told me every other day to clean it up which I have neglected to do. Things came sorta to a head today. VP is one of those guys that are uber power-trippers at all times, due to insecurity, and numerous beatings in the school playground. So I was very short with him with a slightly louder than normal voice and spoke to him while not bothering to turn around and look at him. This really pissed him off. Oh well, I'm generally not a morning person, so it served him right. Dunno if he'll hold a grudge or not, I sent an quasi apologetic email, as I know I was technically in the wrong here. I guess I'll find out how much of a prick he really is soon enough.

Had a stupendous workout though. :cool:

Conventional Deadlift:

225x6/315x3/405x1/505x1/405x4/405x4

*Fukc yeah baby! :D I hadn't planned on deadlifting at all today, as my lower back was still feeling the ball hockey, and hockey game from the previous two evenings. But of course, the temptation was too great when I got in there. So I thought I'd just do some heavy triples, but 405 flew up like nothing on the warmup, so I decided to finally check off 505 from my to-do list. :cool: What surprised me, is how smooth this max was. Completely fluid, with no pauses or hitches anywhere in the ROM. Also, the two following sets of 405 were done ultra fast, and not to failure. It felt like I was pushing the bar down in between reps. I'd say about 6-8 seconds for each of those sets.

Dips:

bw-90 (150lbs)x8/bw-20 (240lbs)x8/bw-20 (240lbs) x6

**The weight was fine. I think I could easily start doing full bodyweight dips, or get a chain belt and start adding weight. Left elbow was acting up on the second set, so I stopped at 6.

DB Pullovers:

85x8/85x8

WG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/180x8

Seated Cable Rows:

210x8/210x6

Single-Leg Leg Extensions:

250x8 (two legs for warmup)/170x8/170x8

***Sometime before this my head started pounding pretty badly. After the second set here, it felt like a black curtain passed over my vision for like a millisecond. My head continued to pound for the duration of the workout.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/100x6/100x6

DB Side Delt Flies:

30x8/30x8

Supersetted with:

Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise:

80x8/70x8

That was it. New PR on deads, and I am completely drained, so I must have done something right. Diet was also perfect today, although way under my calorie level.

Franjipani
01-16-2003, 04:48 AM
That was it. New PR on deads, and I am completely drained, so I must have done something right. Diet was also perfect today, although way under my calorie level.

Congrats on your PR Pete...:thumbup:

I'm feelin rather dizzy with thought of all the blurred visions and blackouts you all seem to get in your workouts:eek:

ElPietro
01-16-2003, 07:03 AM

Congrats on your PR Pete...:thumbup:

I'm feelin rather dizzy with thought of all the blurred visions and blackouts you all seem to get in your workouts:eek:

Thanks Fran, I am not sure, but it could have been either the fact that I was pretty damn low on nutrients for the day, as I hadn't eaten all that much, or the fact that I had taken a full scheduled dose of my EC stack throughout the day. Or a combination of both. Today I think I'll finally take a rest day though. :)

Relentless
01-16-2003, 07:54 AM
nice pull, punk... grrr... hopefully I can make up some lost ground after this HST fling

ElPietro
01-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Heh, I went through HST already too if you recall. You must like following in my footsteps. :cool: ;)

The number of heads that whipped around when I dropped that fukcer was pretty funny too. I think it made the girl doing smith squats jump. :p

Relentless
01-16-2003, 08:00 AM
well it was mostly a desire for change

I think all the high rep sets have been good for me though; it's giving my connective tissues a chance to catch up to all the muscle fibre I've packed on.

or something like that

ElPietro
01-16-2003, 08:05 AM
You know, that was the one part of HST I found highly debatable. I don't know that the 15s are really all that useful at all. The rest period is good, but I don't think it's really "priming" your tendons or joints...

But good luck with it, and lemme know how your joints feel in the second week of the 5s. I know some people here experienced a lot of pain due to this. Mine still hasn't gone away yet, but I think my wrists experienced pain prior to HST as well, just not as frequently or acutely.

rookiebldr
01-16-2003, 08:13 AM
You know, that was the one part of HST I found highly debatable. I don't know that the 15s are really all that useful at all. The rest period is good, but I don't think it's really "priming" your tendons or joints...

Just to chime in here a bit. I also don't think 1 cycle will really do that either. The lower weights, higher reps repeatedly over time with the addition of the submax weights on the lower rep days may help rest the tendons and joints for the heavier days. IMO

IceRgrrl
01-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Great workout, El P :) If your elbow keeps bothering you you may want to change up the dips with something else...those can be hard on the elbow joint even if you're not having problems. Nice job on the deadlift...always a good feeling to hit a new high!

ElPietro
01-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Weekly Recap:

Jan. 11th - Jan. 17th.

Saturday: Rest/Worked at Club
Sunday: Workout
Monday: Ball Hockey
Tuesday: Ice Hockey
Wednesday: Workout
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Workout

Not a bad week. I am still sorta struggling on how to incorporate thai boxing in here somewhere. Hockey season is almost over, but ball hockey is just starting, so I'm gonna have to start prioritizing.

ElPietro
01-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Today's workout:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/275x4 :mad:/225x8

*My god, this was so lame. Maybe I guess if I'm doing 3 times per week, and it's only been a day since my last session I am not recovered, but the 4th rep was sloppy even! I think I'll reduce weight and increase reps for a few weeks. Oh well, we'll just pretend that bench session didn't even happen.

45 Degree Leg Press:

3 sets of 16 plates x5/1 set of 14 plates x6

Calves:

3 sets using 16 plates, roughly 10 reps per set.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x8/200x8

Seated Leg Curls:

4 sets of 8 using the rack. Think it's 150lbs.

Standing Military Press:

145x6/135x7

DB Preacher Curls:

40x6/40x6/40x6

DB Concentration Curls:

40x6/30x8/30x8

DB Hammer Curls:

45x6/45x6

Single Arm Revers Grip Triceps Pulldowns:

65x6/65x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

4 sets of 8 of the rack. I believe the stack is 155, but I could be wrong.

That's it. Barely sweat at all this workout. Nothing special, but better than nothing. Arms looked fookin swollen though from all the curls and triceps crap. :cool:

rookiebldr
01-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/275x4 :mad:/225x8

*My god, this was so lame. Maybe I guess if I'm doing 3 times per week, and it's only been a day since my last session I am not recovered, but the 4th rep was sloppy even! I think I'll reduce weight and increase reps for a few weeks. Oh well, we'll just pretend that bench session didn't even happen.

:omg: ok it's forgotten ;)

That's it. Barely sweat at all this workout. Nothing special, but better than nothing. Arms looked fookin swollen though from all the curls and triceps crap. :cool:

Careful, or we'll be calling you a curl jockey just for pumping your arms up. :D :D

ElPietro
01-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey I'm entitled to curl every now and then!

Yesterday's Activities:

Had ball hockey at 6:30, we won 15-13. I played Ok, but too many ppl showing up.

Then had ice hockey at 10:30, which was delayed till almost 11:30, so we had pre and post game beer. :cool: We won 4-0. I had about 8 billion shots but this team has an amazing goalie that has a knack for saving everything I shoot at him. The team sucks so bad, I'd just skate through them and shoot from 10 feet out, and get stoned every time. :swear:

That was the last game of the hockey season. So playoffs are starting, we'll probably only play one or two more games at best. Our division had no competition so we are going to get throttled when we finally play a team with some talent.

ElPietro
01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Workout today:

Powercleans:

135x3/135x3/185x3/195x2/205x1 :cool:

*Was pretty pleased with this. 195 was tough, and even a bit sloppy, and as I was about ready for the next set of 2 or 3, I decided for some reason to add 10lbs. 205 felt easier than 195, probably because I was geared up for it, but the second attempt I gave up on before the bar even reached my waist.

Lying Hamstring Curl:

70x8/110x6/110x6

**I'm very pleased with this. I've gone easy on the hammies ever since the multiple injuries, but I'm pleased to say I'd never gone up to 110 before. And it felt great. I actually still was ripping them up, not that it didn't feel heavy. I think the stack only goes up to 130 or 140, so I could have another issue eventually with this machine.

HS High Rows:

140x8/270x6/270x6

Incline DB Bench Press:

100x6/100x5/80x8

***Well after the first set, my left elbow and shoulder started to ache kinda bad. After the second set it was waves of pain and numbness, and the set with the 80s I experienced a nice bit of pain in the elbow for each rep. :( Bah.

Leg Extensions:

250x8/170x8 (single leg)/170x8 (single leg)

****Fookin tough. Last rep or two in the final set were a bit sloppy. A nice "burn" occured in my quads.

DB Preacher Curls:

45x6/45x6

Concentration Curls:

50x5/50x5/35x8 :cool::cool:

DB Rear Delt Raises:

30x6/30x6/30x6

DB Lateral Raise:

40x6/40x6

*****Now I can't remember if I did 6 or 8 reps. I am thinking 8, but am unsure so I'll stick with 6 for now. *mutter*

Single Arm Reverse-grip Triceps Cable Pulldown:

65x6/65x6/65x6 (5 on left side)

******Left elbow didn't like this one either.

Well, my eating habits have been ultra turbo sh!tty for probably the past 2 months. The results, a bit more bodyfat, but even more so, quite a bit of muscle. It seems like I've been on sorta an involuntary bulk over the past couple months. I'd guess my weight to be up about 10lbs over this period, and when I wander around the gym I must confess that I feel like a beast, to not sound egotistical or anything. Of course, this added mass has meant an increased diameter on the spare tire around my waistline. This won't do. I will try and get a handle on the eating a bit better, and also must somehow introduce thai boxing regularly into my training, as this seems to work wonders for me.

rookiebldr
01-21-2003, 08:12 PM
...The results, a bit more bodyfat, but even more so, quite a bit of muscle. It seems like I've been on sorta an involuntary bulk over the past couple months. I'd guess my weight to be up about 10lbs over this period, and when I wander around the gym I must confess that I feel like a beast, to not sound egotistical or anything.

Bulking is fun or so I've been told. Compared to some of the people at your gym, you [i]are[/] a beast. :)

MonStar
01-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Concentration curls are insane EP! 50 lbs. friggin' DB is heavy as sh*t for them. I think the most I have ever done is a 40, and that was heavy as sh*t.

Franjipani
01-22-2003, 03:43 AM
Of course, this added mass has meant an increased diameter on the spare tire around my waistline. This won't do. I will try and get a handle on the eating a bit better, and also must somehow introduce thai boxing regularly into my training, as this seems to work wonders for me.

You know very well there is no such thing as TRYtuttut.

I remember a while back you were doing more cardio and feeling much better about things.....

So, when would NOW be a good time to call about that Thai boxing and to take control of your diet???? :D

ElPietro
01-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Pfft. Diet will be "somewhat" controlled. At some point. ;)

As for thai boxing, I need to ease into it a bit. Partly I've been lazy to wait around after work for an hour and a half for the class to start. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and just knock the bag around a bit as a starting point.

Today's workout:

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x3/255x8/225x8/185x6

DB Pullovers:

90x8/95x8

*Was almost throwing the 90lber up, the 95 was a bit tougher, but not exactly all that taxing.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x6/200x6/200x6

Started feeling really drained at this point. Ate a chicken breast 20 minutes before I worked out, but was already full before that, just didn't want it to go to waste. So it kept sitting just below my neck, threatening to come up most of the workout.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6

**Felt off a bit, and decided not to do a third set. Wasn't really planning a big workout today anyway.

DB Concentration Curls:

50x5/50x5/35x7/30x8

Hammer Curls:

45x6/35x6/35x6

Did 5 intervals on the treadmill, so a total of 15 minutes and that was pretty much it. Bit of a lame workout, but I wasn't planning on going heavy or pushing myself too hard today anyway. I'm bound to have off days on a full body workout 3 days a week. Can expect max lifts all the time.

IceRgrrl
01-24-2003, 07:55 AM

Did 5 intervals on the treadmill, so a total of 15 minutes and that was pretty much it. Bit of a lame workout, but I wasn't planning on going heavy or pushing myself too hard today anyway. I'm bound to have off days on a full body workout 3 days a week. Can expect max lifts all the time.

Nice job on the intervals...they are addicting. :) And yes, you are right...the full body workout multiple times per week definitely requires a different mindset. Have you thought about designating a "heavy" day and a "light" day and then maybe playing the 3rd day by how you feel? It might provide a focus for those days when you can push it and those days when you know you can give yourself a break. It's easy to overtrain or get frustrated on full body workouts otherwise.

ElPietro
01-24-2003, 07:59 AM
It was supposed to work something like heavy/light, etc, but I have difficulties just going to the gym and lifting light weights for a whole session. To me I might as well go have a rest day instead. I'll see how this goes for a bit more and adjust as needed. More instinctive training than anything right now anyway.

IceRgrrl
01-24-2003, 08:06 AM
It was supposed to work something like heavy/light, etc, but I have difficulties just going to the gym and lifting light weights for a whole session. To me I might as well go have a rest day instead. I'll see how this goes for a bit more and adjust as needed. More instinctive training than anything right now anyway.

I hear you there, that's why it's easy to overtrain on those 3x week workouts. But it doesn't have to be "light weights" as in too light/waste of time, just lighter than your heavy day, not going for big progression but still taxing yourself somewhat and maybe with a different set of exercises than on your heavy day. It's hard to get past the "all or nothing" instinct though...

ElPietro
01-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Well it sorta was a light day, lifted in the 8 rep range for bench, didn't do anything lower than 5 reps on an exercise, and that was just biceps, they don't really count for anything.

Relentless
01-24-2003, 08:21 AM
must train with you to learn these Power Cleans you speak of

they sound fun

ElPietro
01-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Ok here's the weekly recap from friday:

Jan. 18th - Jan. 14th

Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest
Monday: Ball Hockey@6:30/Ice Hockey@11:00
Tuesday: Gym Workout
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Gym workout
Friday: Rest

Not a great week but was busy with stuff.

This weekend I didn't get to workout either. Saturday was our once a year university bowling tournament. So usually go to that as a lot of alumni I haven't seen in quite some time show up and we all get pissed together. Had to get up at 8:30, so that was the morning and afternoon gone. Got home in time for about an hour and a half of sleep before having to go work security at the club downtown again. Didn't get home till 3:30am, in bed by 4. Then of course sunday was the superbowl, so couldn't workout that day as well. Tonight is our first playoff game in hockey, against a crappy team, so I guess our season will be extended.

ElPietro
01-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Had our first playoff game tonight. They changed the format this year, so we have to win our division first. So since we were first, we played the last place team. Only 5 guys and a goalie showed up for us, so we didn't have any subs.

Err...we killed them. They stopped counting goals on the scoreboard after it was 7-0. That was in the beginning of the second period. I had 4 goals and I believe 6 assists, but I stopped playing after the second. Just basically dumped it in or passed it off most of the time. Was actually a bit embarrassing when we'd score. We approximated the final to be 12 or 13 to nothing, so we have at least one more game left.

ElPietro
01-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Hadn't been to the gym in a while. It showed.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/275x3+2/225x8

*Whatever. I don't know if I was just tired, underate during the day, or just plain weak, but I'm starting to get pissed off here. Last two were fingertip assisted, and the 3rd was sloppy and the spotter put his hands under the bar but didn't help. Maybe I just didn't give the weight the respect it's due.

Dips:

6x220 (bw -40)/5x220 (bw -40)/6x200 (bw -60)

HS High Rows:

140x10/270x6/290x5/230x(6 or 7)

Standing Military Press:

135x6/135x5

Seated Leg Curls:

warmup/rack x8/rack x8/rack x8

Concentration Curls:

55x5/55x4

*These were pretty fookin heavy. Some fool had the 50s so I decided to go up instead of down. Had to really fight for the last rep in the second set on each side. Think my forearm was parallel to the floor for a few seconds on it. But they are just curls, so whatever.

Hammer Curls:

45x6/45x6

DB Rear Delt Raise:

30x6/30x6/30x6

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Cable Pulldown:

65x6/65x6/65x6

Triceps Cable Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8

Leg Extensions:

Warmup: 250x10/Done with single leg: 170x8/170x8/170x8

Leg Raises:

3 sets of 8/6/8. Was slipping off the platform at the end of the middle set, so had to stop or fall.

That's it. Pretty lame workout.

WillKuenzel
01-30-2003, 09:58 PM
That's a huge workout! How long does that take?

On a totally unrelated note, I found this and for some reason thought you might appreciate it.

rookiebldr
01-30-2003, 10:42 PM
rofl

ElPietro
01-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield
That's a huge workout! How long does that take?

On a totally unrelated note, I found this and for some reason thought you might appreciate it.

Haha, very good! :D

My workout takes about 2 hours. Although, I take very healthy breaks between some sets, and do occaisionally have to wait for things if I use machines like leg curls and extensions. I don't mind it being that long though, as I'm just killing time there so I don't have to drive through rush hour traffic to get home.

MonStar
01-31-2003, 10:12 AM
2 hours!? :eek::eek: For me its 45 minutes or less usually. Your gym must be friggin' packed.

ElPietro
01-31-2003, 11:53 AM
No, usually I don't have to wait at all for anything. That above workout had 12 different exercises in it. So if you take an average of 10 minutes per exercise (some more, some less), including setting up weight, resting between sets, travelling to the next area, getting water, etc, etc, and then if I have to wait for one piece for a few minutes, it can easily be 2 hours (12 exercises x10 minutes=2hours). I'm not in a rush in my workout, otherwise it could easily be condensed.

ElPietro
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Well today was a sh!tty day for hockey for me. Had ball hockey at 6:30, and we got beat pretty good, althought it was the first place team.

At 8:30 I had ice hockey. Game started out with us playing totally crap, against a team we've beaten both times we played em. They either learned to play over the days or got a few new players, but I got frustrated as there was also shoddy reffing. I was ejected from the game midway through the second period for throwing a series of blows to the head of an opponent by our net after the whistle. I called the ref a homo as I left, and then almost fought a spectator watching until I think I realized he wasn't actually taunting me.

Oh well, we lost, our season is now officially over. Maybe I'll join a summer league, if I can find a reasonably priced one.

JohnCollins
02-04-2003, 04:24 AM
I was ejected from the game midway through the second period for throwing a series of blows to the head of an opponent by our net after the whistle. I called the ref a homo as I left, and then almost fought a spectator watching until I think I realized he wasn't actually taunting me.

I was at the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out! ;) That would be one stupid fan, taunting a guy ejected for fighting, LOL.

Manveet
02-04-2003, 09:29 AM
I was ejected from the game midway through the second period for throwing a series of blows to the head of an opponent by our net after the whistle.

You got ejected for that? If he touched your tender, it's open season on that guy for all I'm concerned.

ElPietro
02-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Manveet

You got ejected for that? If he touched your tender, it's open season on that guy for all I'm concerned.

Haha, no, he didn't do much. He was skating infront of the net and I hit him and he pushed back and started talking, and I just happened to be frustrated and angry at the time. We were going to lose the game anyway, and it was the last game for us if we did, so my restraint wasn't what it normally would be.

ElPietro
02-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Today's workout:

Well, didn't have a plan going in so of course the default exercise is...

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x4/225x4/315x3/405x3/515x1/405x3/405x2

*Sweet, new 10lb pr. :cool: Was pretty quick off the floor, but lockout took some effort. The last set of 405 my back was burning, it wasn't really the weight, as my back was burning even without the lift. But I had about a 3 or 4 second pause at lockout for each rep. I'm gonna have to teach myself sumos at some point soon. Hopefully I can be the proud owner of 6 plates by the end of the year.

Dips:

BW -80x8/BW -30x6/BW -30x6/BW -30x6

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x6/200x6

Standing BB Military Press:

135x6/135x6/135x6

DB Concentration Curls:

50x6/50x6

DB Hammer Curls:

45x6/45x6

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldowns:

65x6/65x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8

Was feeling pretty ill at this point. Did 20 minutes on the ellyptical, and then spent 5 minutes stretching and that was it.

Maki Riddington
02-04-2003, 09:07 PM
EP, you have anger management issues I think you need to work on.:p

rookiebldr
02-04-2003, 10:16 PM

Conventional Deadlifts:

*Sweet, new 10lb pr. :cool: Was pretty quick off the floor, but lockout took some effort. The last set of 405 my back was burning, it wasn't really the weight, as my back was burning even without the lift. But I had about a 3 or 4 second pause at lockout for each rep. I'm gonna have to teach myself sumos at some point soon. Hopefully I can be the proud owner of 6 plates by the end of the year.

Pete, well done on the deads. Another PR is so sweet. You know if you start doing 6 plates then you are going to draw crowds like Belial does! :D

BTW, do you think the sumos will be the only way to achieve the 6 plates or will you use it as another deadlift type to swap in to stir past a sticking point.

ElPietro
02-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
EP, you have anger management issues I think you need to work on.:p

Haha, some of my friends tell me that all the time.

On a serious note though, lately I have been getting upset rather easily, and snapping at people for barely anything. I hate when I get like this, and usually increasing activity level helps. It could just be me stressing out over house stuff and trying to have all my bases covered before it's built. And the agony of waiting for it to be built sucks too.

ElPietro
02-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

Pete, well done on the deads. Another PR is so sweet. You know if you start doing 6 plates then you are going to draw crowds like Belial does! :D

BTW, do you think the sumos will be the only way to achieve the 6 plates or will you use it as another deadlift type to swap in to stir past a sticking point.

Thanks Jeff, Alex is well past 6 plates though, and the bastard just did 620, so I'm not even within 100lbs of him.

I don't know if sumos will help or not. I am going to try them out for the next few times and go light, focus on form, etc. I only have what I saw Mark do to go by, and of course everyones lovely descriptions on the forums here. If it helps me lift more great, if not then maybe it'll just be an alternative depending on how it feels.

Also, going to try and focus more on squat strength. Not sure if it's because I've started going a lot deeper or what, but my strength is poor on this, and maybe this is the key to improving my deadlift further. But I've had relatively steady progress so I'm not too worried. Progress is more important than any fixed number to me anyway.

MonStar
02-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Conventional Deadlifts:

NICE EP! Good work man, awesome job with 515---I am very impressed. Keep up the hard work man.

Relentless
02-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Nice pull f00!

Squats prolly ain't a bad idea; IIRC Belial focused on 'em for a while and it helped his deads a lot.

ElPietro
02-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Thank you sir.

Today's workout:

Dips:

BW -70x8/BW -30x6/BW -30x6/BW -40x6/BW -40x6

HS High Rows:

140x8/270x6/230x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x6/190x6

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6

DB Pullovers:

95x6/95x6

*Jesus H. Christ these were not easy. Done with bent arm, so working on tris and chest. Now the DB is heavy enough to hurt my chest cavity when I rest it on there before I start my set.

Concentration Curls:

55x4/40x6/30x8/30x8

:cool::cool:

Hammer Curls:

40x6/40x6

:cool::cool:

Rear Delt DB Flies:

30x6/30x6/30x6

135x8/155x5/135x5

**Wow, the first set the weight was flying up. I guess not doing incline or flat bench prior has spared my shoulders somewhat.

Incline Machine Bench Press:

180x8/200x6

***Ok this machine is right by the seated leg curls, which I was going to do, but one of the PTs and her client were using it, so I did these while I waited for sh!ts and giggles.

Seated Leg Curls:

warmup x8/rack x8/rack x8/ rack x8

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldowns:

65x6/65x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8

****First two sets could be called "speed sets."

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical, and then 5 minutes stretching afterwards, and that was it.

ElPietro
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
1.5 hours of Muay Thai.

Franjipani
02-10-2003, 11:03 PM
1.5 hours of Muay Thai.

:hello:

Nice one Pete !

ElPietro
02-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for dropping in fran. :) It's funny how I'm in a pretty good mood today. It seems anytime I go back to the club after a prolonged layoff, my mood gets better dramatically. Sorta humourous that all the smashing and pounding and dealing out bruises, whilst getting bruises of my own can put me in a good mood. :D

I ache in a number of spots today, but surprisingly, not too much muscle soreness, just soreness from actual physical striking and being struck. Part of the conditioning training last night was kicking each other in the thigh and rib area. Unfortunately, I was paired up with a bony fooker, so his shins were rather sharp! :cry: :p

ElPietro
02-11-2003, 07:14 PM
1.5 hours of Muay Thai.

Was pretty sore by the time I got to class, and didn't have a ton of energy. It sucked when 3/4 of the way through some of the skin under my little toe on my supporting leg decided to tear off. But it didn't bleed much so I kept going. I'm so :cool:. :rolleyes:

Might try and go tomorrow again unless my buddy calls with raptors tickets.

Maki Riddington
02-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm assuming you're single and have been that way for some time?;)

Anyways, you're lifts are rather impressive.

rookiebldr
02-12-2003, 12:06 AM
1.5 hours of Muay Thai.

Was pretty sore by the time I got to class, and didn't have a ton of energy. It sucked when 3/4 of the way through some of the skin under my little toe on my supporting leg decided to tear off. But it didn't bleed much so I kept going. I'm so :cool:. :rolleyes:

I don't know if this make you a cool dude or not, but I'd say one tough ****er who shouldn't be messed with. :p So this class, there are others in it who want to be put up against YOU! Don't they stand back and say :help: Or maybe they all have attitude and don't care much for their lives. :cool:

Coke
02-12-2003, 05:56 AM
You seem macho cool - really good lifts. :cool:

IceRgrrl
02-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Sounds like you're really enjoying getting back to thai boxing...good job! Now that hockey is over you'll need some way of blowing off all that extra agression ;) Thank goodness for contact sports...they keep us out of jail...LOL!

ElPietro
02-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Well, it seems the pain I ordered on monday finally arrived last night. :( Today I hurt in so many places I can't really tell where it's coming from. Other than my supporting foot which kills since it usually takes a while to get used to being barefoot on the cheap industrial carpet of the club that seems to be layed over concrete.

I can barely walk without limping so something tells me I'll go to the gym tonight as a rest instead of muay thai, and probably just do some low intensity stuff. Or hopefully I'll get the call for the raptors game and I won't have to train at all tonight.

Maki, the answer to your first question is yes. :mad: And I agree this is probably partly why smashing stuff helps. :)

WillKuenzel
02-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Well, it seems the pain I ordered on monday finally arrived last night. LMAO, that's hilarious.

How long have you been training muy thai? There is a place real close to the gym that teaches it and I've started looking into it. I also have a uncle who has taken several different arts and muy thai is the one he recommends.

Oh and happy birthday there dude!

Franjipani
02-13-2003, 02:08 AM
:birthday: :birthday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETE :birthday: :birthday:

Have a sen-frickin-sational day hon... I hope all your wishes come true *yes, even those ones* lol ;)

Coke
02-13-2003, 05:20 AM
:cool: Happy Birthday Macho Cool Pete :cool:

ElPietro
02-13-2003, 07:29 AM
HomeYield, I've only been going to muay thai for maybe a year and a half or so. But it has been sporadic at best with a few injuries to my hamstring thrown in there. For conditioning and efficiency it's probably your best bet of anything. It doesn't take long to learn virtually everything, and then the rest of the time you spend conditioning yourself, and practicing combos and stuff like that. Very similar to boxing as far as training goes.

Franji thanks. *thinks of naughty wishes* :D

CoCoa thanks for dropping in as well. :) Lol at "macho cool." :D

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 09:00 AM
I lurk in your journal all the time but I never post - frankly, I'm a little shy. ;) But I figured since it's your b-day I would invite myself in and ACTUALLY POST. (Hell of a birthday present, huh?)

So, happy birthday, big guy!

ElPietro
02-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Haha, I didn't really think many people even peeked in here...so it's nice to see some have taken some interest in my rants or training or whatever you'd call it. :p

Thanks for dropping in! :)

carolinagirl
02-13-2003, 09:12 AM
My favorite part is the rants.

xraygirl
02-13-2003, 03:29 PM
More people peek in here than you think. Happy b-day (geez, only 27)!

ElPietro
02-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Only 27? Doesn't that make me like double the average age of this site? ;)

I just see this looming mortgage coming up soon, and have almost made statements to others like, "wait till you have a mortgage, then see how much partying you'll do." God I sound like a frickin adult! :eek:

Well, it started to snow near the end of the work day, so instead of sitting in traffic with retards that can't drive, I went and killed a couple hours at the gym instead.

Incline DB Press:

60x8/100x5.5/90x6

*Ok this was so fricking lame. The 100s didn't actually feel that bad, and I did each rep really, really slow, but I decided to go up for a 6th rep, and stalled half way, but I started to slip to my right. In the end I had to throw both dumbells to the same side of my body or risk falling off the bench with them, which would be infinitely worse.

Dips:

BW-40 x6/BW-40 x6/BW-40 x6

Squats:

135x5/225x5/315x4/365x1

**Ok, I need to start working on my squat a whole lot more. This will pretty much be my focus over the next month. None of these were to failure, but I was still pretty damned tired.

45 Degree Leg Press:

12 plates x5/12 plates x5/12 plates x8

***Also, did some sloppy single leg calf raises on the sled as well. Roughly 5 reps after each press set.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x8/200x6

155x5/155x5/155x4

45x8/70x8/80x8

DB Concentration Curls:

50x5/50x5

Single arm reverse grip triceps cable pulldowns:

65x6/75x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

3 sets 8 using the full stack. (155)

Seated Leg Curls:

3 sets of 8 using the full stack.

That's it. Just a boring mish-mash workout, but better than nothing I guess.

xraygirl
02-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Only 27? Doesn't that make me like double the average age of this site? ;)

I just see this looming mortgage coming up soon, and have almost made statements to others like, "wait till you have a mortgage, then see how much partying you'll do." God I sound like a frickin adult! :eek:
Heh...I'm one of the geriatric crowd. Minus the cane, Efferdent and Depends. :D
As for your mortgage quote, you sound older than me! Next you'll be getting a mini-van or (gasp!) a Volvo stationwagon.

ElPietro
02-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by xraygirl

Heh...I'm one of the geriatric crowd. Minus the cane, Efferdent and Depends. :D
As for your mortgage quote, you sound older than me! Next you'll be getting a mini-van or (gasp!) a Volvo stationwagon.

There is no person on this planet, more vehemently against mini-vans, and I dislike pretty much every model of Volvo as well, so I'm safe from that. You can even ask IceRgrrl about some of my longwinded, and sometimes high-volumed rants about minivan drivers. :p

And I would hardly call you geriatric, ms. flygirl. Being stationed in Okinawa sounds very laid back and enjoyable. So much culture and history to take in as well. :)

xraygirl
02-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Heh...my husband has been trying to get me to buy a mini-van for years. Told him that my dead carcass would never be found in one. He's obviously trying to make me seriously un-cool :mad:
This place would be cool if I was not a hop, skip, and leap from Korea. Unfortunately the culture here is becoming over westernized. But they have some historic sites etc...which are most cool.

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately the culture here is becoming over westernized.

What! You mean it's not like in the Karate Kid?! :confused: ;)

Well I managed to get some exercise last night. Had our monday ball hockey game. We won for a change. Worked up a pretty good sweat. Planning to go to thai boxing tonight.

IceRgrrl
02-18-2003, 12:49 PM

There is no person on this planet, more vehemently against mini-vans, and I dislike pretty much every model of Volvo as well, so I'm safe from that. You can even ask IceRgrrl about some of my longwinded, and sometimes high-volumed rants about minivan drivers. :p

LOL! Yeah, it's pretty amusing ;) MY personal ire is aimed at the spoiled suburban housewives who poke along at 20 mph under the speed limit in their brand new 4WD SUV's in 2 inches of snow! And God forbid they have to pull into a parking spot between 2 cars at the store or even worse, back up for some reason...you could grow old watching them do the 25 point turns. If they can't drive, they should stay home with the kiddies and crochet some doilies or something...

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

MY personal ire is aimed at the spoiled suburban housewives who poke along at 20 mph under the speed limit in their brand new 4WD SUV's in 2 inches of snow!

Funny how they are the same retards you find standing at the side of the road with their big-ass trucks or vans sitting in the ditch. Man, I am getting pissed right now just sitting here thinking of these fools. :mad:

IceRgrrl
02-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Funny how they are the same retards you find standing at the side of the road with their big-ass trucks or vans sitting in the ditch. Man, I am getting pissed right now just sitting here thinking of these fools. :mad:

Yes, that is another subgroup of the population "driving with head up a$$." The cool thing now is to have a big pretty boy truck that is never used as a truck (i.e. for hauling, pulling, or doing something truck-like), just as a truck-shaped car to drive around in and look like a bad a$$. Then these fools think that 4WD makes you invincible and they end up in the ditch, on the median, spun out in the middle of the freeway. Newsflash: 4WD doesn't help you stop! :p

the doc
02-18-2003, 01:54 PM
omg, have i had the most driving fun i have ever had the last few days. We recieved 15" of snow and i was rollin around town in the new truck.

man is it shweeeeet!

PS. no ditches for me!

SWOLE
02-18-2003, 02:04 PM
What is your avatar?? I cant remember his name...

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Megatron. :cool:

Relentless
02-18-2003, 02:19 PM
autobots /pwn decepticons!!

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Autobots had bumblebee, who was a VW Bug, which by default makes their entire group gay. :)

<---------- VW Bug hater.

rookiebldr
02-18-2003, 02:46 PM
My wife will be a speed demon in her new 4WD SUV. Watch out!

:hide:

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Get her a CAA membership.

Relentless
02-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I drive a 4WD Jeep and I can say with authority that 4WD doesn't mean **** if you're on black ice.

Of course, I'm a great driver so I've never ditched it, but I have also observed firsthand what you can and cannot do with 4WD.

SUVs suck BTW

shoulda got her a Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. All the room you need, lower centre of gravity, cheaper on gas . . . *sigh*

rookiebldr
02-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
I drive a 4WD Jeep and I can say with authority that 4WD doesn't mean **** if you're on black ice.

Of course, I'm a great driver so I've never ditched it, but I have also observed firsthand what you can and cannot do with 4WD.

:rolleyes:

SUVs suck BTW

Yes, fully expected that response from a Jeep owner, however, I fail to see that there is much difference between the two. Other then the cool factor of owning a Jeep, it seemed to me that it was the Jeep that started the SUV craze to begin with.

shoulda got her a Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. All the room you need, lower centre of gravity, cheaper on gas . . . *sigh*

Although it's not actually bought yet, it took a long time to convince her that we don't want a mini-van, it will after all be her car. I've been unsuccessful at changing her mind to go with a wagon even though we have looked at Subarus, Volvos and VWs. I really liked the Subaru WRX wagon but she did think that was too small. Volvos, might be worth the semi-free trip to sweden to pick up a car. VW, well I will not agree to being that old yet.

Oh well, just sigh some more. ;)

ElPietro
02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Actually got to spar tonight, which was plenty fun.

Most played song in my car today: Just Another Victim - Helmut/House of Pain

ElPietro
02-20-2003, 06:43 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

PowerManDL
02-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Did you wear your spandex leotard and tutu?

ElPietro
02-20-2003, 06:51 PM
Yes, it helps me to tone. :)

rookiebldr
02-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Yes, it helps me to tone. :)

<slaps forehead> So that's how you look so toned! :cool:

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Took friday and monday off. I had planned on one or two workouts. Unfortunately I was a complete sloth all weekend, and didn't do anything "active." :(

Relentless
02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Actually got to spar tonight, which was plenty fun.

Most played song in my car today: Just Another Victim - Helmut/House of Pain

Judgement Night soundtrack = wikked. :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Pete, did you ever get round to starting your cut re: that PM you sent me ages ago?

And did you get round to pummelling that nob from IM?

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Pete, did you ever get round to starting your cut re: that PM you sent me ages ago?

And did you get round to pummelling that nob from IM?

No, and no.

I haven't exactly done anything with my diet. I am starting to try and increase cardio for now which will cause my weight to drop, but my trainings been a bit messed lately. Truth be told I'm heavier now than I was before, but I don't think much more BF has been added. If I can keep 2 or 3 days a week of muay thai and somehow work in weight training regularly it will do wonders. If diet even gets a smidge better I think I'll have great results.

The guy from IM never PMed me back, I checked daily but he never sent me a message. He stopped posting there shortly after our argument as far as I can tell. But whatever.

Relentless
02-25-2003, 11:34 AM
hey man . . . one of the good motivators for getting a grip on a cut is competition

want to have a bet/competition/something this spring to see who can drop the most BF, or something like that? Putting some dollars on the line is always good for the self-discipline. :D

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 11:37 AM
How would we gauge things? Post pics and let the masses decide?

Relentless
02-25-2003, 11:40 AM
that could work... some standard poses a/la "Body for Life" style and then get votes on 'most dramatic improvement'

could also do it as a net change in BF%, were we to get tested at the same location/method

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 11:57 AM
pics would be easier, then we wouldn't have to worry about any bs with bf testing measurements, etc.

I think I have some pics from a few months ago. I'm prolly worse off now but I can just use those.

Relentless
02-25-2003, 12:01 PM
we need a prize/stakes

hm

how much would it cost to fly Tina to Toronto for an ass-grabbing? ;)

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
If we had shipped her via freight, in a crate, we would save lots of money. :evillaugh

ElPietro
02-25-2003, 08:48 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Part of which I got to get into the ring, put on a belly pad, and get kicked lots.

xraygirl
02-25-2003, 09:26 PM
that could work... some standard poses a/la "Body for Life" style and then get votes on 'most dramatic improvement'
You mean the tanless dude with the ill-fitting shorts photo v/s the tanned professional photo?

...could also do it as a net change in BF%, were we to get tested at the same location/method
This sounds better.

IceRgrrl
02-26-2003, 05:39 AM

You mean the tanless dude with the ill-fitting shorts photo v/s the tanned professional photo?

This sounds better.

LOL! You got it pegged, xray...don't forget that in the "before" photo, you're required to slump at the shoulders and let the gut hang out, but in the "after" photo display perfect posture with shoulders back and gut sucked in :p

Not to mention that some of those BFL after photos are blatantly Photoshopped with the original guy's head glued on someone else's body...

BUT, ElP and Cal, if this little competition requires that you post photos as evidence, we're all for it :D Now let's add that you must pose in skimpy attire, since if the roles were reversed, that's what you'd want... :angel:

xraygirl
02-26-2003, 05:42 AM
hmmm...you do have a point there icer. Just no speedos. We expect you to have some standards.

IceRgrrl
02-26-2003, 05:45 AM
*shudder* Good call, xray...anyone who is not an Olympic swimmer engaged in actual competition or preparation therefore should just say no to the Speedo!

Relentless
02-26-2003, 06:30 AM
a pair of soccer shorts skimpy enough for you ladies? :)

hm

if we're to do that, I best start thinking about booking some appointments with the esthetician and also some more at the tanning salon. :D

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:09 AM
I didn't know guys without lisps could book appointments at estheticians. But if you feel you need that edge Cal, then by all means... :p

I have some pics from when I last posted, some are shirtless, and aren't that great. Of course I wasn't trying to make myself look like a fatass so it won't be as great for comparisons sake. Unless we just want to go with a "who is more cut" at the point in time we post the results. In my case, I'd prolly say "less fat" than "more cut" but whatever, I am ever the optimist as you see. :D

If you wanna wager a "brown and crispy" on it say for sometime early summer I'm game. Lemme know.

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Oh and what we could do is judge ourselves, and if there is disagreement we go with the crowds opinion. If I think you've done better than I, then I'd easily admit it, and I have enough faith in your integrity to do the same. But if it's close we can allow outside opinions.

Relentless
02-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Oh and what we could do is judge ourselves, and if there is disagreement we go with the crowds opinion. If I think you've done better than I, then I'd easily admit it, and I have enough faith in your integrity to do the same. But if it's close we can allow outside opinions.

aye, i'm comfortable with that and with the wager

and re: the esthetician: **** you. :p I don't need an 'edge' but I figured it might be more productive in showing cuts not to have a ****ing angora sweater on at the time. :)

for a deadline, shall we say the first day of summer? Or earlier?

June 1?

Lizzie
02-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Muay thai..that sounds like fun.....but you dont need to put on the body protection....can I just kick you?:p

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Oh and what we could do is judge ourselves, and if there is disagreement we go with the crowds opinion....if it's close we can allow outside opinions.

Hey, no! Wait, what happened to the soccer shorts? :(

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Cal, hahaha, ok go to your esthetician, get your nails and toenails done, and your facials or whatever. :p June 1st sounds good to me. The wager will be one "brown and crsipy" aka $100 dollar bill. Estimated US value: $3.49. :D We can use the judgement methods I listed above, and will both be reasonable and objective. It's on mofo! :evillaugh

Lizzie: No. ;) Even though I know you probably can't hit hard, being a figure skater and all... :p

Relentless
02-26-2003, 08:47 AM
carolinagirl, if the cut goes as well as I expect, I'll be posting pics all over this damn board in exultation

have no fear

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by carolinagirl

Hey, no! Wait, what happened to the soccer shorts? :(

We will post pics, I just meant we will determine the winner on our own, or with peanut gallery help if there is disagreements. Not sure why you're getting all excited...it's not like we're anything remotely like some of the "pretty boys" on the site. Well maybe Cal will be after his esthetician appointments. :p

Relentless
02-26-2003, 08:49 AM
hey ElP -- if you still have a digicam maybe taking some pics this weekend would be worthwhile to get a proper baseline

proposed poses:
- front 'relaxed'
- front double bi
- back double bi
- lat spread
- something to show off wheels better?

Relentless
02-26-2003, 08:50 AM

We will post pics, I just meant we will determine the winner on our own, or with peanut gallery help if there is disagreements. Not sure why you're getting all excited...it's not like we're anything remotely like some of the "pretty boys" on the site. Well maybe Cal will be after his esthetician appointments. :p

STFU!!
:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

:D

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Don't have one. I'd need to harrass a friend to get his. I'm not sure where our work one is, but it sucks anyway. We can just go for overall look if you want instead of improvement. Or whatever, you can use the pics you posted in your journal, and I have some as well. I'm not sure who's bf is higher right now, but it's more of what the end result is.

My physique hasn't changed much since the previous pics I had, I haven't weight trained in almost two weeks though! :(

Lizzie
02-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Who said i was taking off the skates?

Relentless
02-26-2003, 09:03 AM
I haven't weight trained in almost two weeks though! :(

Call it 'Strategic Deconditioning'. :D It sounds much better.

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Lizzie
Who said i was taking off the skates?

:eek: :hide:

Cal, I am hedging my bet, by saying that if you win, I'm going to charge Sara a motivational fee of $200! :D Ha! There is finally an advantage to being single, nobody cares what I look like! :D

Err, I mean: :cry:

Relentless
02-26-2003, 09:07 AM

:eek: :hide:

Cal, I am hedging my bet, by saying that if you win, I'm going to charge Sara a motivational fee of $200! :D Ha! There is finally an advantage to being single, nobody cares what I look like! :D

Err, I mean: :cry:

I disagree

when i was single, I was motivated to stay buff due to the need to find a mate -- once I got married, it was like "what the hell, she signed the contract!" :D

getting married was one of the worst things I ever did for my physique... i went from ~190 and 13 or 14%BF to (eventually) 255 at some hideous BF% from which I'm only now starting to recover.

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 09:10 AM
...it's not like we're anything remotely like some of the "pretty boys" on the site.

Oh, hush. Not all girls like them pretty. I like 'em big and rough-looking, myself. ;)

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Cool! So there is hope for me yet! :)

Tryska
02-26-2003, 09:48 AM
aesthetician appoitnment cal? what ya gettin' waxed?

oh..and sup lp?

Relentless
02-26-2003, 11:03 AM

Oh, hush. Not all girls like them pretty. I like 'em big and rough-looking, myself. ;)

ElPietro may very well be your soulmate then. :D

PowerManDL
02-26-2003, 11:07 AM
bahahahhahahahahhahaha

/pwned

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey Tina poo. What's up? I think you still owe me pics from some long gone conversation. :)

Better ones than on the site. ;)

Cal don't worry about me. Just make sure you book a whole ton of esthetician appointments, and get your beauty sleep punk!

I'm gonna maintain my taco bell cutting diet to the end! :D I'll be like that fool on the subway commercials only stuffing my face with burritos! :p

Relentless
02-26-2003, 12:54 PM
I will destroy you.

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 01:14 PM
If you win, I'll go double or nothing in an arm wrestling contest if you want. ;)

Relentless
02-26-2003, 03:34 PM
that'd be fair. you stomp on bunny rabbits' heads in your spare time, don't you?
:D

Tryska
02-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Hey Tina poo. What's up? I think you still owe me pics from some long gone conversation. :)

Better ones than on the site. ;)

i do?

i'll get right on that then.

ElPietro
02-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Good girl. :)

1.5 hours of muay thai tonight.

F*ckers pushed me pretty hard, and my conditioning is pretty feeble still. Did so much clinch work that at the end of the class I actually struggled to keep my head level. I was just rolling up my hand wraps and staring at the floor because my neck was too damned weak!

Had a couple positives though. The guy I was training with asked if I worked out, and said "cuz it really looks like you do." I'm pretty sure he wasn't gay, otherwise he'd prolly go into cardio kickboxing or something like that. And then after class another guy commented positively on my kick, and stated, "I'd hate to be the guy that has to get into the ring with you." I'm feeling pretty damned sloppy with my training, and my conditioning is very poor, but at least outwardly people seem to think I'm tough there, so I have them fooled so far! :p

I was so dry after class though. I think if it weren't for the fact that I hadn't eaten in about 6 hours I woulda thrown up. I had to take small sips of my water on my drive home, and give myself a few minutes in between to quell the urge to get sick. How did I get so soft...

Ugh, I think I'll be too tired to go back tomorrow, so I'll go visit that place people call the gym, since I haven't been in ages it seems. Friday will be rest, as I got called to work at the club that evening/morning.

Lizzie
02-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok I was gonna write some mean stuff but i'll be good. It wont take you long to get back into conditioning, you're working hard and it'll just take a little time.;)

ElPietro
02-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Woke up feeling like sh!t. Thought I was just sore from training, but just before noon realized it was the god damned flu, so took off from work, and now I ache everywhere. :mad:

DOMS = Delayed Onset Meathead Sickness! :swear:

PowerManDL
02-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Great, now we get to deal with you posting all day tomorrow.

ElPietro
02-27-2003, 09:34 PM
No, I am less productive at work, and would post more there than at home. You should only be so lucky. I am going to bed now. *mutter*

Franjipani
02-27-2003, 09:44 PM
DOMS = Delayed Onset Meathead Sickness! :swear:

*lol*

Wasn't WYSIWYG workin for ya hon ??? ;)

Get better soon and keep those fluids up.... :D

rookiebldr
02-27-2003, 10:28 PM
:( Get better soon big guy.

ElPietro
03-03-2003, 08:56 PM

*lol*

Wasn't WYSIWYG workin for ya hon ??? ;)

Get better soon and keep those fluids up.... :D

Sure it is Fran, why do you ask? ;)

Well, it was odd, but I felt pretty damned sick thursday, but friday I pretty much made a full recovery. I'm wondering if this could have been induced by dehydration or not. Well whatever, I feel back to 100% so that's all I care about. Worked security friday and saturday night downtown. Sunday I met some friends for a bit of dinner, and caught "The Recruit," which I felt was a very decently made film.

So today is monday, and that means ball hockey night. But it wasn't till 8:05, so I decided to head across the road from work and kill some time in the gym. I checked back in my journal, and not since my birthday, aka the 13th of february, had I set foot in my gym. A bit sad, but more like the muay thai has been interfering with things, and I've been lazy on the weekends.

So I went to the gym, and I won't really call this a workout, as I didn't have any plans other than do some light weights to get me a bit primed for some other date. It turned out to be laughably pathetic.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x7/225x4

*LOL! Well I hadn't workout in so long, and even before that I think I took at least 3 weeks off bench, so that's well over a month. I didn't bother with a spotter, so neither of those feeble efforts are to failure, but still rather gay. Oh well, I didn't go to push myself today.

Seated Cable Rows:

210x6/200x6

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

rack x8/rack x8

HS High Rows:

230x8/230x8

DB Preacher Curls:

45x5/35x8

I think that might have been all I did, and it barely warrants me typing it out. Wasn't into it, and got bored quick. Didn't wanna touch legs today, or shoulders, as legs would affect hockey, and thai boxing tomorrow, as shoulders would as well. I plan on going for a more complete session on wednesday, after tuesday's thai boxing. I won't be training thursday, as I agreed to bounce downtown that night, and that means I'll be dead tired all friday, and the rest of the weekend is booked.

I bought "Cat's Cradle," by Kurt Vonnegut at lunch, and read a bit at work, and then more at the school for quite a bit before our game started. He seems to have a similar outlook on things as me on much of what he writes. I can almost picture myself as the writer with some of the things he puts to paper. Anyway, so far I am thoroughly engrossed.

So ball hockey was a wash. Had a good sweat going, and we won 26-0. That is the first shutout in our leagues 8 year history, so we had to still play hard to preserve something that was thought to be unatainable in our league, given how small the gym is, and how easy it is to score. The final seconds of the game were spent with me sprawling in front of a guy forcing him to change his shot, which didn't get through, and then the whistle ended the game. :cool: Yes, what a sad life I lead...

ElPietro
03-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Ok, well Cal posted his stats, so although I generally haven't done anything this detailed I figure I might as well. I will have you know, that when taking measurements, it appeared that my midsection was much more bloated than normal! So you can mentally deduct like 5 inches. :p

I'll start from the top and work down:

Neck: 18"
Chest: 51.5"
Right Biceps: 18.5"
Left Biceps: 18.25"
Waist: 40.5" (measured at fat point across naval) :burger:
Hips: 47" (roughly mid-glute)
Forearms: 14.5"
Right Quad: 29"
Left Quad: 28.5"
Right Calf: 18.25"
Left Calf: 18"

So there it all is, my stats, posted on the internet, for you people to judge me by as you wish. :whiner:

Yes I will re-measure that waist in the morning, I wear a few pair of size 38s! :swear: ;)

Saint Patrick
03-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Neck: 18"
Chest: 51.5"
Right Biceps: 18.5"
Left Biceps: 18.25"
Waist: 40.5" (measured at fat point across naval) :burger:
Hips: 47" (roughly mid-glute)
Forearms: 14.5"
Right Quad: 29"
Left Quad: 28.5"
Right Calf: 18.25"
Left Calf: 18"

Care to post Height/Weight with that? Regardless, you're a fookin beast. :strong:

ElPietro
03-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Just shy of 5'11" and 250lbs.

Relentless
03-04-2003, 09:07 AM
wow. I'm a lot closer to you around the chest than I'd thought... 2.5" ain't much at all; you look MUCH thicker though. If you can cut up around your waist to get down around 34-35 you are gonna look BADASS.

betcha those bicep and quad measurements drop dramatically as you cut though. :D

ElPietro
03-04-2003, 09:17 AM
It's tough to measure myself as well, at least around the chest, I guess the measurement can vary dramatically if the measure isn't perfectly straight. The straighter it is, the lats probably make the measurement bigger, so not sure if it's bigger or not. Did my best though, and kept the tape tight, so not like some people with their magical slack measuring tape adding inches to their measurements. The only one that wasn't tight was the waist...sure I was tempted to pull it tight enough to induce bleeding, but I kept it firm but not more than that. :p

I'm not sure how much I'll drop on measurements. I expect my waist to go down significantly, and maybe the chest a bit. Quads aren't too bad, I think I still have quite a bit of size to add to my quads and hammies, but I guess cutting won't induce that so yeah, measurements will slip. I think they've gone up in the past year a tad over 2 inches, so it won't surprise me if they drop to 26 or 27 inches on a big cut. Not sure about the arms, they've been pretty big all my life, but sure, I've never been all that cut in my life either, and I'm hoping to get into a decently lean state for once.

The thickness difference up top maybe the shoulders, as mine seem to be decent sized. Although, I notice without deadlifting, or doing any shrugs, my traps have really gone down in size. They generally respond really quick to stimulus when I first start pushing them again, so right now I think they are hurting, and I'm going to be addressing that soon.

But yeah, if I can lose a few inches around the middle, or just get rid of "ye ole lovehandles" it think it will have a very big impact on how I look.

ElPietro
03-04-2003, 08:11 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Did a little bit of sparring.

MonStar
03-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Damn LP, huge friggin' measurements man. Didnt realize how damn big you really are. 18" guns! Impressive as hell man.

ElPietro
03-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Ok, so I'm going to make my training more structured. No more of this hurly burly training, with no action plan. I'm going back to a push/pull/legs split as I think I preferred this a bit more than a push/pull split, and I don't have enough time to do my 4 day split that I used to do.

Also, I am committing to less of a strength/power focus, and more of an endurance/strength routine. I am going to try and gear my training towards complimenting my muay thai as much as possible for 6-8 weeks, and we'll see how that goes. So you probably will see lower poundage, and perhaps higher than normal rep schemes for me. First few times will be a bit off, as I haven't trained regularly of late, and I still need to get a better sense of my training schedule.

So today I decided to start things off with leg day.

Squats:

135x6/225x4/295x5/295x4/295x4

*Ok, well I did each rep extremely slow, and went down to parallel, stopping to examine leg angle for each rep. The weight felt heavy, and I will attribute this to only squatting once in probably the last 2 months, coupled with muay thai training last night, which really did a number on my hips, quads, calves, and abs as well. So there, my excuses for being a pansy today. :) Rest between sets was much shorter than usual as well.

45 Degree Leg Press:

3 sets of 8, using 12 plates.

So after loading up the leg press with the 12 plates, I had to take them off, and then carry them over to the standing calf raise. This took about 5 minutes, and really sucked.

Standing Calf Raise:

14 plates x10/14 plates x10/16 plates x10/14 plates x10

**Thought I'd get back to doing these. I think my calves have suffered, and they are integral to muay thai training, so I guess the effort is worth it. It is also a grip and lower back exercise, as unloading the plates after loading them to leg press, and then to calf raise, involves moving a sh!tload of weight, and I generally hold the plates with my fingertips, which after a while you notice in the forearms.

Seated Leverage Calf Raise:

70x8/70x8

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x10/100x8/100x6

Seated Hamstring Curls:

2 sets of 6 using the rack.

Hips:

2 sets of 10 Adductor.
2 sets of 10 Abductor.
2 sets of 8 straight leg raises, greater than 90 degrees.

Stretched for about 5 minutes and that was it.

I got into the changeroom, looking forward to getting home, having dinner and having a relaxed evening. But I heard my cell ringing in my jacket, didn't get the call in time, and then noticed I had 4 missed calls all from the same number. Of course, on fricking leg day, after a tiring week, two guys have to call in that they won't be going to work, so I'm begged to come in and bounce tonight! :mad: It's like these fookers new I'd be doing legs, and then would think I'd enjoy standing on one spot for many hours on a weeknight, having to get up for work the next day. :swear:

I said OK. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I have to bounce tomorrow night as well. I don't think I'm going to look very pretty come friday morning at work. Oh well.

rookiebldr
03-07-2003, 10:42 PM

I bought "Cat's Cradle," by Kurt Vonnegut at lunch, and read a bit at work, and then more at the school for quite a bit before our game started. He seems to have a similar outlook on things as me on much of what he writes. I can almost picture myself as the writer with some of the things he puts to paper. Anyway, so far I am thoroughly engrossed.

After all the chatter on this site about Kurt, I bought Timequake a few months back. It was indeed thoroughly engrossing. :)

Measurements, sometimes it just takes all the fun out of guessing. Don't cut too much, you still need to be a good size for that intimating look as a bouncer. ;)

Relentless
03-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Oh well, I have to bounce tomorrow night as well. I don't think I'm going to look very pretty come friday morning at work. Oh well.

So you're saying SOMETIMES you look pretty? ;)

Well, we're a week into the contest. I'm down 9lbs from last week (mostly water i'm sure but yay anyway). How's your cut going?

ElPietro
03-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Last couple days I've had pizza twice, taco bell, golden griddle, steak at the keg, and haven't been to the gym or exercised since wednesday. Oh and I'm kinda sick again. But luckily took today and tomorrow off work.

Relentless
03-10-2003, 02:50 PM
*stomach grumbles at mention of The Keg*

Sucks that you're sick man. Sara has some kind of bug too... it's hard for her coz she can't just take days off work... if she's not working, her practice hemorrhages cash. :(

Get better!

ElPietro
03-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Ooo, look, I have a journal! :rolleyes:

Well, I am pretty much over the cold. I decided to stay in pretty much all weekend to "kick" it, but for some reason I still don't feel 100%. It sorta lingered all week.

So today I decided to get back in gear. I am cutting I guess, so my current plan of attack, is to get back to the gym on a more regular basis, consistently train at muay thai, and at least get SOME semblance of control over diet. Other than being sick off and on for a couple weeks, I have been getting to thai boxing consistently, however, at the expense of hitting the iron. I think I've been twice in the last month and a half.

So, on to my current "master" plan. I think it's plan 8,483 to be exact, but I'm sure this one will work. ;) I'm breaking my training up into a 4 day split, and will be going at lunch, since the gym is just across from work. So I need to keep things simple, and workouts must be about 45 minutes, to give me time to shower and get back.

So the split...

Chest
Lats
Rest
Shoulders/Arms
Legs*

So those represent the "weekdays" during the week, but legs is an exception, as there's no way in hell I can do a leg workout in under 1.5-2 hours. There is too much weight having to be loaded on and off. So it will either be on a friday evening, or during a weekend afternoon. I'll do approximately 8-12 sets of various exercises each workout, other than legs, since I'll be doing some hip training as well. Abs will be tossed on whatever day seems to take the least time.

So, went to the gym today. Not at lunch though, since ball hockey wasn't till 8 o'clock, so I decided I might as well kill some time at the gym, but wanted to see how long chest day would take, and if I was on crack thinking I could keep things short. The workout went as follows...

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/255x7/225x5

*I was very pleased. I haven't benched much, and 255 didn't feel any heavier than the warmup of 225. But the work set of 225 started feeling heavy, and I didn't have a spot on it so I stopped at five. The set of seven, the spotter had a finger from one hand on the bar on the last couple reps, but he wasn't even looking down at his hand, so I don't think he assisted much, if at all.

Incline DB Bench Press:

80x6/80x6

**Holy fook I felt weak. Normally I'd do dips here, but there were two clowns on the station. For time sake I wasn't taking my usual break between sets. I'm sure that made a big diff.

Pec Deck:

100x10/120x10/110x10

***Dips were still occupied so I came here next.

Dips:

(BW-60)x10/(BW-60)x6/(BW-80)x8

****Ok, finally took over the station, and fook I was tired. On the last set I saw a reflexion off some other machine, and noticed that it at least appeared that I was going well below parallel.

So this workout, took between 45-50 minutes. It was busy, and I did about 3 or 4 minutes of standing around grumbling as people were using the dip station. So I think I can swing this, but no time for abs on chest day. I'll also continuously try to decrease rest time somewhat to meet some goals geared towards muscular endurance.

Felt kinda sick after the workout. I had no food in me, and was well under my cals, so I grabbed a shake from the gym shop, and then drove to ball hockey and watched the games before mine. We played a team equal to us in the standings, and started off poorly, but finished strong and won the game. On a humorous note, during the game, I twisted to take a shot, and not sure how it happened, but both snaps on either side of my tear-aways popped, so when I looked down, my pants were around my ankles. :p Everyone found it rather funny, and after scrambling around with my pants almost off for 30 seconds, i finally found a chance to rip them all the way off. Yes, I had shorts underneath.

So thus concludes day 1 of "Put Callahan in his rightful, girly ass place." :)

Lizzie
03-17-2003, 08:54 PM
and i missed the pants falling off????!!!!! damn!!!!:(

carolinagirl
03-17-2003, 08:56 PM
*stomach grumbles at mention of The Keg*

How are you on underhanded skullduggery, EP? Because if you're down with it, you should probably talk LOTS and LOTS in here about The Keg and other, equally delightful eateries, all in mouthwatering detail. Maybe you can tempt Cal into breaking the diet and win the cash.

Of course, if you want to win it fair and square....
*shrugs*

IceRgrrl
03-18-2003, 05:52 AM

On a humorous note, during the game, I twisted to take a shot, and not sure how it happened, but both snaps on either side of my tear-aways popped, so when I looked down, my pants were around my ankles. :p Everyone found it rather funny, and after scrambling around with my pants almost off for 30 seconds, i finally found a chance to rip them all the way off. Yes, I had shorts underneath.

LMAO! I bet that was hilarious... :p Good thing you had the shorts on :eek:

Your lunchtime workout plan sounds good...it'll break up the workday, get you some activity in the middle of the day and not get in the way of your after-work activities. Good luck! :)

Relentless
03-18-2003, 06:09 AM

Your lunchtime workout plan sounds good...it'll break up the workday, get you some activity in the middle of the day and not get in the way of your after-work activities. Good luck! :)

He's just copying ME. I've been singing the praises of lunch workouts for almost a YEAR here.

How are you on underhanded skullduggery, EP? Because if you're down with it, you should probably talk LOTS and LOTS in here about The Keg and other, equally delightful eateries, all in mouthwatering detail. Maybe you can tempt Cal into breaking the diet and win the cash.

The problem with that plan, m'dear, is that the Keg is like a totally perfect place for me to eat. Easy to get a protein-fat meal there. It was harder at this fookin' Italian place I had a lunch meeting at yesterday. Friggin' menu was all pasta and pizza. Fortunately, they had ONE item I thought acceptable -- an 8oz cheeseburger. I ordered 2 of those without buns and a side salad with oil & vinegar and I was golden! :D

They also talk about carb cravings on a keto diet but as of yet I have not had one. :evillaugh

ElP -- one word of advice; if you're going to go into a caloric deficit, you may want to cut back to a 3-day-a-week routine... it'll be hard to recover like you're used to if you're low on cals. At least that's what I found.

ElPietro
03-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Lizzie, perhaps we can arrange an encore presentation for ya. :p

Carolina, that is an excellent idea. I am actually quite good at skullduggery. I remember when I was at IBM, three of us decided to have a "quit smoking" contest and we put a significant amount of money in. So me and the other guy teamed up on the third guy, so we'd email him pics of smoky bars, or leave empty packs or one cigarrette on his keyboard or chair when he wasn't there. He cracked first. :D Maybe I should start posting pics of pasta platters and other carb-esque pics in Cals journal. :cool:

Icer, yeah, well going at lunch, will have more impact simply by taking up my lunch time. Which means that at least 3 days a week I won't be able to go out for lunch and eat some calorie dense fast food item.

Cal, don't claim ownership on lunchtime workouts. I have done lunchtime workouts in the past, well before you were a member here, so perhaps you read it at some point when you first got here and copied ME!

As for the calories, I'm not too worried. My 4 day split will actually consist of less time in the gym than my 3 day split. And my cals are always sporadic anyway, so I'm sure there will be days when I'm mucho over my limit. I hadn't planned on keeping track very accurately anyway. I'm more concerned with getting protein, which I've been rather bad at lately, and somewhat limiting too many carbs in any given day.

ElPietro
03-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Well, made it to the gym for a lunch workout.

Today was lats/traps. I haven't done them in a long ass time, and it showed a bit in the workout, and I'm really feeling it right now. Also, DOMS around the shoulders from chest yesterday is setting in as well, so my arms are feeling pretty heavy at the moment.

HS High Rows:

160x8/250x8/270x4

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x6/190x6

WG Lat Pulldowns:

180x6/170x6

*Bleh, felt akward for some reason. Maybe I'll start using the gravitron to help getting my fat ass up and do some pullups instead. Of course, this is the first lat workout in a while, so I didn't expect much.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x6

**Figured if I did these last it would make the 120s heavy for me. Boy did it. Heh, struggled with the last rep or two on both sets.

DB Shrugs:

90x8/90x8/80x8

I still need to iron out a specific program for lats. What I did there may not necessarily what I do regularly. But no biggie, and at least I didn't go out and eat fast food for lunch. :)

Relentless
03-18-2003, 12:32 PM
nice work, buddy

why traps on lat day? Shoulder day too busy?

ElPietro
03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
I was considering traps on shoulder day but figured I'd see how long shoulder day was first. Which was today, and it took longer than I expected. The only advantage to doing traps on shoulder day for me would be the fact that grip would be fresh anyway, so it's not a huge deal to me right now.

Shoulders and chest were still burning from monday. Kinda lame but I guess if I go hard after not working out in a while, I should expect extended muscle soreness.

I believe the soreness definitely impacted today's workout. It was painful to raise my arms before the workout. Now I can barely hold my arms up to key in this journal entry.

Bar x10/Bar x10/135x8/145x4/135x5

*Wow. Usually I throw up 135, but it was a struggle just to hold the bar even statically. I'm guessing this will shoot up next week. Not too worried. Had me huffing and puffing though.

SUPERSET: DB Front Raise + DB Lateral Raise:

FR: 20x8/20x8
LR: 30x8/30x8

SUPERSET: Triceps Pushdowns + DB Preacher Curls:

TP: 155x10/155x10/155x10
PC: 40x8/40x6/35x8

**Will go over to lat pulley next time. 155 is the entire rack, and I was doing speed sets, where the weight stack actually kept going up a bit from inertia on the first 6 or 7 reps.

SUPERSET: DB Rear Delt Raise + DB Hammer Curls:\

RDR: 30x8/30x8
HC: 40x6/40x6

Single Arm, Reverse Grip Triceps Cable Pulldown:

55x8/55x8

That was it. Felt rather sick to the stomach at this point trying to cram everything in. Started getting my EC stack in a bit more consistently, and today I was a bit higher than normal, so internal temp was probably a bit high, coupled with the only carbs this morning was from an apple 2 hours prior to the workout, I probably could have eaten smarter.

I must say that this partial week of dieting has had some impact on my physique. Or at least I think I have done alright. Weight is down a bit, although, the last three nights, I have gone to bed on an empty stomach, and fear that some loss may be at the expense of LBM. But whatever, I "think" that I look maybe .001% better, so that is a baby step in the right direction.

Considering I can't lift my arms right now, I'm not sure what I'll do about my planned trip to muay thai tonight. Maybe I'll just go and work the bag on my own, and avoid the embarassment of training in a class format when I'm going to be absolutely worthless. And heaven forbid I get roped into sparring...

Bleh.

WillKuenzel
03-20-2003, 11:39 AM
How long had you been taking muay thai before you started sparring? I plan on starting pretty soon and even have an introductory class lined up for tonight but was wondering about the sparring part.

ElPietro
03-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Well, depending on your school it can vary. I'm not a great example, because I haven't been consistent, and training has been interrupted so many times from injuries that I can't ever recall a time I was in a good groove.

But if you are already in very good condition, you could probably start sparring after a month. If you need to get conditioned or coordination isn't that great, it could take anywhere from 2-3 months to a year before you are ready. But sparring is sorta an individual thing. Some people just suck at it, and can't control themselves, and either spaz out or whatever. So nobody will spar with those people, especially those that can't control their punching power.

The technique is very simple anyway, so don't think it's gonna get complicated, because it won't. Just learn your footwork, and keeping up your hands, and work your kicks, blocks and combos. Clinch work will beat the hell out of your neck too. Make sure it's not some homo cardio kickbox type of a class. If at least half the class isn't focused on turning you into a piece of iron, look elsewhere.

Lemme know how it goes.

ElPietro
03-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Went to the gym after work, for leg day. *cringe* Actually, I was for some odd reason, looking forward to this workout all day long.

BB Squats:

135x6/225x4/335x3/315x4

*These two work sets, were done extremely slow on the negative portion, with a pause at the bottom. All reps were definitely to parallel. Which is what I checked when I paused at the bottom. I think next time I may push myself a bit. I want to focus on these much more, as they are pretty damned sh!tty, but I guess I can't push myself too hard without a spotter.

45 Degree Leg Press:

16 plates x5/14 plates x6/14 plates x5/10 plates x8 (fast set)

**Bleh. Was disappointed here as well. Oh well, legs suck, I'll deal with it.

So after loading 16, 45lb plates on to the leg press, I got the priviledge, of removing them and walking them over to the standing calf raise harness.

Standing Calf Raise:

8 plates x10/14 plates x10/16 plates x8/18 plates x8

So now I had the fun of removing the 18 plates from the standing calf raise, and distributing them on the various weigh trees in the surrounding areas. Lower back is thanking me for this...

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x10/100x5/90x5

***Bah! :mad: I'm guessing that my hammies were just tired as f*ck from the other work, since normally this is not even close to what I can do. Oh well not gambling with this, last thing I need is to re-injure.

Hips:

2 sets of 10 Adductor
2 sets of 10 Abductor
2 sets of 10 Straight Leg Raises to just over 90 degrees

Pulldown Abs, on Lat Pulley:

85x10/95x8/95x8

****Fook this was tough. The regular two pulley cables are two easy, as the max is 155lbs, the single pulley lat cables are definitely a better choice. Sh!t was burning pretty good after this.

DB Side Bends:

75x10/75x10

Yeah, so I felt pretty worked after that. I had a nice red mark, which looked exactly like an olympic bar all the way across my back from squats, and I had a bunch of deep nasty angry red lines across my shoulders, that said they had supported some weight under the calf raise padding. I realized after I left I forgot seated calfs, oh well, get em next time.

I will now spend the rest of my weekend, hobbling around, fearing stairs, and whatever else extremely sore legs will make me look foolish doing.

rookiebldr
03-21-2003, 09:09 PM
You really do need a lacky to help you move those plates around. The only reason I like leg press dropped sets is because I get this rest between the de-plateing by doing another set of presses. :D

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Yes, a lacky would be great. Drop sets wouldn't work in my case though, since I need to transport the weights to the standing calf raise after. I didn't feel like I was actually doing very much when I did calf raises in the leg press, so figured I'd go back to the harness.

Well, the weekend was a bit of a futile effort to keep my diet clean. I may have kept my cals under control on sunday, but mainly because it all came in one big sh!tty meal, and most of the rest of the day I starved. But whatever.

Today is chest day. Went in having only eaten an apple and some cottage cheese this morning, and I think it really impacted my workout.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/265x2+3/225x7+1

*Hmmm...not sure if I got much help on the 3rd and 4th rep but the spotter touched the bar, and I think he helped through the sticking point. Definitely on the last rep. Good spot though, I explained that I didn't want him to help as long as the bar moved in the right direction, and only for as long as I was stalled, and he did that very well. Better than the homos that jerk the bar up when you slow down just a smidge.

Dips:

BW-60 x8/BW-70 x8/BW-80 x8

**Coulda been 10 lbs more, ie -50, 60, 70 but can't quite remember. No biggie. Was pretty tough, triceps were quivering at the end of each set.

Pec Deck Flies:

110x10/110x8/100x8

***Pretty tough. Not going all out though, I know if I go too heavy I'll start getting elbow and shoulder pain back. 110 on that pec deck is still heavier than I've seen anyone do in the gym though, so it's not exactly light.

Incline DB Bench:

75x4

****ROFL! Hahaha, I felt so bloody well drained. I felt so depleted at that point. Obviously low cals, low carbs, and 3 other exercises have exhausted me. Was just gonna leave, but still had time left, so couldn't find the 65lbers and didn't wanna use 70 or 60, so just did incline machine press.

Incline Machine Press:

140x8/150x7

Hit the showers after that. Felt so damned drained, and my arms really don't want me to key this entry in. Had a protein shake after that was just protein, but now back at the office I have a jello cup to get some carbs in me. Thank god my SNDCanada order came in today, so now I have carb powder again, and MRP bars.

I am not too disappointed in the somewhat poor performance, I am taking much shorter breaks, which I realize really impact performance, and also haven't really done much strength exercises recently, so it'll be a slow process. I expected a bit more out of my first set of bench though, I'm not really targetting the 1-3 rep range right now, more like the 4-6 rep range, and then the 8 rep range for the second set, so I won't change the weight next time out.

I have ball hockey tonight as well, so that'll give me a good dose of cardio. I will not wear pants, so this will circumvent any opportunity for them to fall down during the game. :cool:

WillKuenzel
03-24-2003, 11:38 AM
I will not wear pants, so this will circumvent any opportunity for them to fall down during the game. :eek:

*covers eyes*

Thanks for the tips on the muay thai. I went for the trail session and ended up staying even a little longer until another person showed up for sparring class. It was brutal. Well at least to me at the moment. This definitely ain't going to be no fu fu cardio class. My shins and feet were hurting when I left. My legs and abs were pretty sore the next day.

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Yeah that's usually how it is. Often I'll get a bit of blood from the bottom of my foot as the skin is getting peeled off. We have a pretty sh!tty floor at our club. Basically just ultra thin rough carpet over concrete floor. Shins are all notched up, and yeah abs are generally sore for a couple days after. I usually do the situps until my abs tighten up into a ball, not sure if it's a spasm or what, but it's basically saying no you cannot do another rep for at least 4-5 seconds. But that usually goes away pretty quick after a week or two.

Fun stuff. :)

Relentless
03-24-2003, 01:07 PM
I hear ya on the difficulty of maintaining a solid workout int he absence of calories/carbs

I have resigned myself to simply attempting to minimize muscle and strength loss while on this cut to Jun 1.

Generally, I think I'll focus more on higher rep ranges and exhausting the muscle rather than maxing on strength (despite my macho need to lift heavy iron).

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I started feeling sick against yesterday too. Felt really crappy at the start of my workout so not sure if it's just in my head or not. I got really pissed yesterday when I started getting a cough again. Just sorta cooped myself up, took some neo-citran before bed. Felt a bit better today. If I can't shake this cold I'm gonna be pissed, it's been off and on for 3 weeks now.

Yeah I'm going a bit more towards muscle exhaustion as well now.

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Also, although this is probably to my detriment, I am keeping away from creatine for this cut. I want to be able to guage my weight with as accurate a method possible, and I think if I took creatine, I may not take it consistently, and it can have a big impact from week to week weigh ins dependant on how hydrated I am.

It's not like I've ever consistently supplemented with this anyway, so I'm just gonna keep away from it for the next 69 days. :)

Franco
03-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Good luck Pete.

Stay consistent and you'll reach the target.

Relentless
03-24-2003, 02:44 PM
are you giving up twinkies, too?
:evillaugh

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Hell no!

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
Good luck Pete.

Stay consistent and you'll reach the target.

Oops, missed this. Thanks Franco. Haven't seen you around much lately, but I guess whipping "the Clough" into shape is a full time endeavour. :p

Franco
03-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Oh i'm around, mark my words. I just don't post as much

Dan's progressing nicely also

ElPietro
03-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Had ball hockey this evening. We played the homo, whiney first place team, that is undefeated this year, and won the league last year, and almost always get into a fight every game because they are a bunch of f*cking retarded wops that don't know when to stfu.

Luckily I barely got pissed off that game. Only two penalties.

And we won the game. Felt good to hand these f*ckheads their first loss of the year. If we meet them in the playoffs, I hope it's a lopsided game, one way or the other. It could get......unpleasant.

ElPietro
03-25-2003, 08:14 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

My shoulders and chest weren't enjoying having to hold up my arms and thai pads too much. Luckily we didn't do any pushups, and I paired up with a lightweight newbie. :cool: The 200 neck curls at the end left me feeling somewhat ill though. Didn't go to bad, but I sure do feel the 3 weeks absence I've had.

Didn't get to workout this afternoon as I got roped into a team lunch, so lats/traps will be tomorrow's lunchtime assignment.

Diet for two days has been excellent, but probably quite a bit under maintenance. I'd be surprised if I'm much over 2k cals today.

ElPietro
03-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Ah sh!t, I forgot I had french onion soup at lunch, that prolly shot my cals up quite a bit, including my carbs. :mad: Bleh.

heathj
03-25-2003, 08:17 PM
fatty.

ElPietro
03-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Heathgay, shut up.

PowerManDL
03-25-2003, 08:33 PM
/pwned

rookiebldr
03-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Heathgay, shut up.

That's the Peter we know and love. :D :D

I hope you were kind to that lightweight newbie. Compared to you, that could have been HomeYield.

ElPietro
03-26-2003, 11:27 AM
Here's my f*cking gay lat/trap workout for this afternoon. :mad:

Supported T-Bar Rows?:

1 plate x8/2 plates x6/2 plates x6

*Not sure what this is really called, figured I'd give it a try. Just lay on an angled bench chest down, and there is basically a really long arm that is attached to the base of the bench, and you feed plates on the end of it, and just pull the handles towards your chest. I guess pretty much t-bars only you can't jerk around and sh!t like that. I felt like a f*cking pussy though.

CG Lat Pulldowns:[/]

190x8/180x6

:mad:

[B]HS High Rows:

180x8/230x6

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x7.5/120x6(5 on left)

**F*cking sh!t. At the end my elbow started going numb and shoulder felt a bit f*cked up. This is all because of me trying to go back to the f*cking pec deck on chest day. I think this exercise does pretty good for me but it seems this machine f*cks up the elbow and shoulder on my left f*cking god damned arm, so I guess I'll have to f*cking replace it with something else.

DB F*cking Shrugs:

90x8/90x8

Well, I felt weak going in, and especially f*cking weak after the first exercise. Calories are pretty sh!t, but thought I did ok this morning. Felt like I f*cking wasted my time today. :mad:

Ps. Why do these f*cking peasants in the f*cking change room feel the need to put on a f*cking litre of whatever piece of sh!t cologne they have in their gym bags. Like I really enjoy walking into the changeroom, and it reaking of f*cking brut or old spice or whatever these bloody homos can afford these days. F*cking retards.

WillKuenzel
03-26-2003, 11:48 AM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

My shoulders and chest weren't enjoying having to hold up my arms and thai pads too much. Luckily we didn't do any pushups, and I paired up with a lightweight newbie. This could be cool if you ain't quite up to a full workout but I was paired up with a guy yesterday that seemed to know what he was doing but couldn't offer up any resistance to those thai pads, that and he didn't know how to hold them. Real nice fellow but just needs to put a little bit more into it.

ElPietro
03-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the guy I trained with was irritating me a bit on how he held the pads. I guess my kicks were a bit too strong for him, so he'd hold the pads way out from his body when I started to kick, so I wouldn't really get any momentum, and would hit the target practically with my knee instead of shin. I'm sure it probably hurt him more to do it this way, and it's also easier to hurt yourself. Also, you can get some conditioning benefits by holding the thai pads against your body while someone is kicking or kneeing. I couldn't even come close to going full out with my knee. I started trying to have a bit of fun, and sent one knee about 3 inches from his face, after that he wouldn't let me clinch properly anymore. :p

IceRgrrl
03-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Holy f*ck! That's a f*cking f*ckload of "f*cks" in that f*cking journal entry :eek:

So it wasn't your best workout day...you played ball hockey on Monday, muay thai on Tuesday, and your cutting. It happens...

Get mad, then let it go, and get on with the next one. Don't make me have to do something stupid to make you laugh and lighten up ;)

ElPietro
03-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Watch your language in my journal or I will wash your mouth out with soap! tuttut

IceRgrrl
03-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Ooooooo....you know I love it when you threaten me ;)

ElPietro
03-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Well, went out for a couple pints last night, and ended up picking at some food. Lot of it was carbs but nothing too substantial, but I think it was good for me, as I've been going to bed without a meal in me during most weekdays. I'll try to get some more food in me though, as I think I've been pretty low on energy. Also, since I don't make any food for myself when I wake up, the starvation continues throughout part of the morning, as I get to work, take my EC stack and that somewhat quells the hunger, so I'm perhaps going more than 12 hours without food, which is just downright stupid. I will rectify this.

Went to the gym for my shoulder/arm workout. Shoulders and chest were still somewhat stiff/sore from monday, and I wonder if my decreased cals are inhibiting recovery, as usually I wouldn't feel it after two days, or perhaps it's just the slightly higher volume.

45x10/135x8/145x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8

SUPERSET WITH:

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

40x8/35x8/35x6

DB Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x8/30x8

*Will bump weight to 35lb dbs next time out. Form was very solid, no jerking around or leaning back. Last couple reps on each set was still pretty tough though.

SUPERSET WITH:

Alternating DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8/20x8

DB Rear Delt Raise:

30x6/30x6

**Kinda felt gassed on this, and prolly from having done back yesterday, normally there would be a day of rest between back and shoulders so rear delts shouldn't normally be in a state of recovery.

SUPERSET WITH:

DB Hammer Curls:

40x6/40x6

DB Extensions:

50x8/60x8/70x8

***I think I'll use the 70lber next time. The others didn't seem to make me feel much on my tris, but the 70 started to burn a bit, and there were a couple instances were staying balanced while seated was a challenge. Next time I'll use a bench with back support.

All in all, I feel pretty energized from the workout. I am going to try and up cals as I feel I am not getting enough to effectively follow my schedule. I'm going to try and focus on morning meals, and pre-bed meal and see how things go. Tonight I will also be heading to thai boxing, so I'm sure it will be so much fun having already worked on shoulders and tris today.

Relentless
03-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Two words of advice on trying to get your diet stabilized and have some nutrition before bed and avoid the crash-feast syndrome you're priming yourself for:

Macadamia Nuts

a 2oz serving of these babies contains 4P, 43F and 7C, and of the 7C, 4+ g of it is dietary fibre

400cals or so altogether plus the high fat content makes it a not-bad choice as a before-bed meal or on-waking meal... the volume of food is low, too so it won't 'fill you up' while at the same time making you feel satiated

I recently rediscovered these puppies and I'm glad i did.

I'm also down another 2lbs. 213, baby! You better get it into gear big man... June 1st is coming. ;)

Alex.V
03-27-2003, 12:11 PM

DB Extensions:

50x8/60x8/70x8

You know these are not far removed from kickbacks, right?

ElPietro
03-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but I needed something that I could do without having to do any setup, and get done quickly. I would like to get skulls back in at some point though. I'm not too concerned with overall strength on these, as I have a bit more volume on chest day monday anyway.

Cal, maybe I'll pick up some Macadamias, however, I've only known them in cookie form. :D

I will probably use cottage cheese as my pre-bed meal when I have it though. Breakdown is 198 cals, 3F/13C/30P. And with that, hopefully in the next couple days get some salmon oil caps or something, and maybe add another 3-5g of EFAs from those. Although, it would probably be cheaper to get the nuts, not sure if I want THAT many cals before bed. I am not on CKD as you are, so I will be getting carbs periodically, so don't need as high a fat content as you.

I haven't lost any weight since last week, but I may have reduced some bodyfat, it's hard to tell. I think at this point, I am starting to lean out around the shoulders and upper back a bit more, or perhaps that's just illusion, and my muscles are responding more to being somewhat trained better than they have been. Feeling a bit leaner, but stuck at 245 right now. Haven't been below 240 in probably a few years though, so I'm sure my body will resist a bit.

Good to see you are having success, it will be a bit of a shame for you to have to swallow your disappointment when I snatch the hundred from you this summer.

Relentless
03-27-2003, 12:50 PM
from what I'm coming to understand from my reading, in almost every case, you're better off with fat cals (unsaturated and EFA) than carb cals

even when i'm off keto, I intend to avoid carbs as a general rule of thumb from here on out, especially wheats and rices and such; I may amend this to be a low GI preference over high GI carbs

Sara has also started on the Suzanne Somers diet thing, which is basically lowcarb plus food combining... I may give that a shot when I'm done the cut just for the helluvit, but I have some trouble with the idea of following a diet mascoted by Chrissy from "Three's Company"

ElPietro
03-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Strictly speaking, I will need some carbs in me. I think I have a few more activities on the go than you do, so it's not really the workouts that concern me, but the fact that I have ball hockey and muay thai as well really demand at least some fuel more effective than fat or ketones. I am more or less restricting carbs as best I can in the evening, unless it's some kinda leafy veg or something. Or when I get home from thai boxing I may have a glass or two of orange juice, to replenish liver glycogen stores, as fructose won't induce an insulin spike or do much for blood glucose levels. Anyway, I will see how things go, and make tweaks as I go along...I am not totally anti carb, and do enjoy eating, so I will probably continue to restrict carbs somewhat, but not exclude them from diet, and maybe vary caloric intake on certain days to allow for better recovery. This is obviously a work in progress regardless.

ElPietro
03-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Bah! Nobody showed up to muay thai tonight, so I let the instructor off the hook. Just trained on my own with the heavy bag for about 25 minutes. Didn't really push things at all though. So bit of a wasted time but whatever. Came home and made a mess in the frying pan that consisted of 3 eggs and a buncha cheddar cheese. Add tobasco sauce and serve. :cool:

ElPietro
03-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Ok, I didn't really have a pre-bed meal, but did manage to get some added cals in.

About 1.5-2 hours before bed, I ate a small pepperoni stick, that was sitting in the meat drawer of the fridge. It wasn't very big, guessing about 200 cals but couldn't exactly estimate it.

Then right before bed had a glass of milk. Then just put like 3 teaspoons of glutamine in a bit of water, stirred it up and chugged it down. I'm not really a supporter of glutamine, as I haven't seen much to suggest it's necessary, but I have a little container of GNC Glutamine from about 3 years ago that's just sat on top of my fridge half finished. So figured it can't hurt, and better to use it then just throw it out.

Yesterday's macro breakdown was loosely as follows:

2247 cals 101F/82C/238P

Calorie-wise this breaks down to 42%/14%/44%.

Calories could be off as I a may have over or underestimated the amount of cheese I used in my "eggs" and also the pepperoni stick.

Today I will allow myself a cheat lunch, which doesn't really bother me since I have leg day after work, and wouldn't be bad to actually get a decent meal in me before it.

IceRgrrl
03-28-2003, 10:38 AM
To add my two cents to the carb conversation, I have to agree with El P on having to eat some significant amount of carbs to support activity. I've noticed that if I cut carbs too much, I have no energy for intense activities like sports, or I feel energetic at the start and then crash quickly. I think if I wasn't doing much activity other than lifting and dieting, I could do the low-carb, but I like having all that other stuff in my life.

That being said, finding the optimal carb level and watching the type/quality of carbs can give you the energy for activity plus let you drop some body fat. It's one of those self-experimentation projects...everyone differs a bit in what/how much works for them.

ElPietro
03-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Leg day. I find it rather perverse, that of all days, I look forward to training my legs the most.

BB squats:

135x5/225x3/315x2/385x1/315x3

*Well, I have done 385 before for a couple reps, long ago. Although, I doubt it was to parallel depth, and I believe I made it there today. I usually do things really slow and stop at the bottom to check, but I don't think I did that this time, as I was more focused on getting the weight up. I think I realize what the problem is with these. I go pretty slow on the way down, but also do so on the way up. So I don't really get the momentum exploding from the hole, and I stick about 3 or 4 inches up. This happened in this lift, things slowed down, and I drifted forward a bit, but made it up. I was tempted to put 4 plates on but will do so next leg day.

45 Degree Leg Press:

720x6/630x8/630x6/630*6

**There's a bit of progress here. I push pretty hard, but realize I still could push reps out on each of these. I just remember the one time I was stuck at the bottom and had to call for someone to help, and don't want to repeat that.

Standing Calf Raise:

360x10/720x8/810x8/720x8

***Putting the plates back really sucked.

Lying Hamstring Curl:

50x10/100x6/100x6

45x10/80x8/80x8

Seated Leg Curl:

130x8/150x8/150x8 (150=the stack so couldn't go higher)

Hips:

2 sets of 10 Adductor
2 sets of 10 Abductor
2 sets of 10 Leg Raises, past 90 degrees

Pull Down Abs on Lat Pulley:

85x10/95x8/95x8

DB Sidebends:

80x10/80x6

****LOL! Ok, I was fookin pooped, and was barely coherent, so as I was doing the last set, I figured that I could get away with 6 reps, as I did 10 the first, and that would average out to 8 reps. :)

Hobbled off and got changed. Bought myself the "gym" protein shake. Which consists of 2 huge ass scoops of meso-tech, mango juice, a bananna, and one optional whole egg.

Well that workout took about 2 hours to complete. Of course, moving all the fooking plates around is time consuming, and resting from moving all the fooking plates around also wastes a lot of time. I will now do my best imitation of a cripple for the rest of the weekend, and most of monday.

carolinagirl
03-28-2003, 09:11 PM
You got back to 385 on squats hella-quick! :eek: Muscle memory is a glorious thing.

ElPietro
03-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Thank you my dear. :) Well, it's kinda better than before. I did 385 twice, but back then I wasn't focusing on going to parallel. Although, back then my squats were still decent depth, I doubt I coulda done it the same way as I did tonight.

Oh well, good for me, I've never really seriously focused on squat strength, but figure it is probably holding back my deadlift. I'll try to up the weight for another month or so, and then maybe learn sumos and see if that is much different from conventional. Can't even remember my max before, think it was either 520 or 525. I used to be proud of that too, but now everyone on the internet beats me. :cry:

***Edit: Just wanted to add, that you look very nice in the pictures in your journal. I didn't post anything in your journal, as there seemed to be quite the sausage frenzy already going on... :p

carolinagirl
03-28-2003, 10:18 PM
I don't.

But I'm a girl, so it's probably small comfort.

ElPietro
03-28-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm sure you'll get there one day. Just be stubborn like IceRgrrl. I keep telling her that her place is to be a good domestic role model for all these girls she is tricking into playing hockey and being independent and such. For some reason, she won't have it. :p

Ps. Edited my above post if you missed it typing things simultaneously to me. :)

carolinagirl
03-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Oh, just saw the edit. Thank you! (That's why I didn't put them in the pic forum - the response to women's pictures seems to be an avalanche of humpys rather than legitimate feedback.) (Not that I don't appreciate a humpy now and again.... Oh, you know what I mean.)

ElPietro
03-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Sure thing! :hump:

Ok, I'm going to bed now, good night.

carolinagirl
03-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'm going to bed now, good night.

Uh huh. I see how it is. Start some **** and then run away to "bed".

;) Night.

rookiebldr
03-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Well done on the leg day, Pete. Leg day looks like it's getting back into the range you were before, lots of volume and no injuries. :cool:

The diet looks like it is going well, keep at it and I won't recognize you this summer.

Franco
03-29-2003, 01:47 AM

Pull Down Abs on Lat Pulley:

85x10/95x8/95x8

Good lad, this is a fantastic movement. Are you incorporating statics with these?

Hobbled off and got changed. Bought myself the "gym" protein shake. Which consists of 2 huge ass scoops of meso-tech, mango juice, a bananna, and one optional whole egg.

LMAO. Err....Yuck!!!

ElPietro
03-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jeff, I hope to somewhat transform myself this summer. Legs I think still need a lot of work. Diet is being kept pretty good so far.

Franco, I haven't done any statics for abs. Not sure I need to, as they get worked probably quite a bit. Doing that ab work on leg day is all I do with weights, but also, with muay thai we do tons of straight leg situps and leg raises and stuff. Maybe if I feel the need I can do some situps on an incline, used to do those really slow/static.

As for the shake, it tastes awesome. May sound bad but it's really good.

ElPietro
03-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Well the weekend was "pretty good" diet wise. I didn't really keep track of cals, but also didn't eat anything that I would consider junk food. Had "some" home made chocolate chip cookies on saturday, which was my main carb up day. Carb up consisted of two platefuls of spaghetti, and then a few hours later I had some cookies. But overall I think it went well. Taking more care of getting good cals into me I think did wonders, as my legs were maybe 30% as sore as they normally would be. Other than a bit of stiffness in the hip flexors I feel nothing from friday's leg session, where last monday I was still hobbling. Although, I'm sure much of this can be attributed to me getting used to proper training again, I'd like to think diet is helping. :)

Today was chest day.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x10/225x(2+1)/275x3/225x6

*Bit of pain in my left elbow/triceps area. The third rep of 275 I believe the spotter gave me an assist. So I'll consider it a 2+1. I think I'll drop back to 265 next week. And then the following go up to 285. Maybe I can seasaw my weight up to near what I was before. I'm not overly concerned whilst colories are in check.

Dips:

BW-60x8/BW-60x8/BW-60x8

**Some progression here. I will up the weight to -50 next time and see if I can get 3 sets of 8 going.

Incline Machine Press:

150x8/160x8

***Figured that I didn't wanna mess around with the DBs since it would just be a small weight amount anyway, and wasn't sure where to start off, so just did these.

DB Flies:

30x8/30x8

****Decided to give these a shot. The pec deck obviously f*cks up my elbow/tricep, as it seems that my chest can handle quite a bit of weight, but the joint is not having it on that machine. These reps felt very light, other than the fact that there was pain in the elbow area at the bottom of the ROM. I worked through it but experimented with the arm angle. Not sure if I'll continue these or not, although, I feel that they do help quite a bit in my routine, so don't really wanna give em up.

That was it, and I barely broke a sweat. After coming out of the shower, I noticed in the mirror that I looked a bit different than normal. Usually, with my bodyfat, being swollen after the workout just makes me look fat, but this time, things were definitely looking a lot better, as there were some decent looking bulges in the right places. Hopefully this is an indication that I'm doing something right.

HAD ball hockey on the schedule tonight, but it was cancelled, because most of the SARS cases were in the general area, and I think there is a local hospital nearby. Kinda gay, but whatever. Maybe I'll replace it with some cardio tonight or something, I don't have my muay thai gear here, otherwise I'd go there.

ElPietro
03-31-2003, 11:29 AM
I think I'll also get back to my weekly review.

So here is last week.

Monday: Gym (chest), Ball Hockey
Tuesday: Muay Thai
Wednesday: Gym (lats)
Thursday: Gym (shoulders/arms), 20 minutes bagwork
Friday: Gym (legs)

Normally, lats should be on tuesday with muay thai, and wednesday should be optional work, or complete rest, but got pulled out for lunch so lat day was bumped to wednesday. All in all, it wasn't bad, and I pretty much stuck to plan.

IceRgrrl
03-31-2003, 12:16 PM
Nice workout :) And way to go on sticking to the diet plan over the weekend. Now that you're seeing some good results, you'll be all that much more motivation to stick to it. Too bad about your game being cancelled, but I guess it's better to be cautious until they get a better handle on this SARS thing...

And of course I must respond to this:

Just be stubborn like IceRgrrl. I keep telling her that her place is to be a good domestic role model for all these girls she is tricking into playing hockey and being independent and such. For some reason, she won't have it. :p

Well, some of us were meant to do other things, what can I say? ;) And stubborn is a good thing sometimes...keeps you going when everyone else is telling you the opposite of what you know. :p

ElPietro
03-31-2003, 12:27 PM
Yes, this is all well and good, but while you are off gallavanting around, do you really expect the cooking and cleaning to get done on it's own? :confused: I mean, come on, let's be reasonable here.

IceRgrrl
03-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Yes, this is all well and good, but while you are off gallavanting around, do you really expect the cooking and cleaning to get done on it's own? :confused: I mean, come on, let's be reasonable here.

LOL! No, I expect that I'll ignore it until a) one of the cats disappears in the debris, or b) I have something to do that I hate more than housework and I'll procrastinate on that by cleaning up something, or c) someone comes over/comes to visit and I have to pick up the big chunks and make things look somewhat respectable.

Entropy is a natural force of the universe. Systems with high organization must expend significant energy to fight entropy. My perspective is that that energy can be directed towards more important purposes than picking up clutter around the house...this is why my house/room/office is never neat and tidy but I have lots and lots of knowledge, skills, and experiences that I wouldn't have had time for if I was playing Betty Crocker :p

cyclone
03-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I think I'll also get back to my weekly review.

So here is last week.

Monday: Gym (chest), Ball Hockey
Tuesday: Muay Thai
Wednesday: Gym (lats)
Thursday: Gym (shoulders/arms), 20 minutes bagwork
Friday: Gym (legs)

Shouldn't Ball Hockey be done on arm day? Oh....you really mean Ball Hockey as in Hockey with a Ball instead of a puck......I thought you were sharing a little too much there....nevermind.

ElPietro
03-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Hehe, well, THAT kind of ball hockey, I just assume everyone is doing on a high volume, basis daily. So no need to include it in our journals. ;)

cyclone
03-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Good point.

heathj
03-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Don't talk about this in here, eric might get aroused...and sure as hell don'tpost pictures of your ball hockey.

ElPietro
04-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Today was lat/traps day. I'm a bit upset, as I was busy with work, and didn't get much food in me. Just a tub of cottage cheese and an apple. So less than 300 calories since last night before my workout. This is definitely not according to plan. :mad:

Anyway...

Supported Angled T-Bar Rows:

45x8/90x8/115x3

*Not sure if this is what it's called, but figured I'd give it another shot. This thing is fooking tough. I wonder how much the contraption weighs with now weight on it. I mean, I fancy myself as having a decently strong back, and it's humbling to only put on two plates and have it be a struggle to get that 8th rep, and then get totally owned by adding an extra quarter to the bar. It's a pretty long ass bar, and is pretty thick and square. I may give this thing another couple tries, but I may just move to chins or something instead, as I've thought about incorporating those anyway.

CG Lat Pulldown:

190x8/190x6/180x6

HS High Rows:

250x7.5/230x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**Wow, even now these are feeling pretty damned heavy. I used to whip these f*ckers around, but I guess with the volume ahead of them, and the speedy workout with little rest between exercises make these much harder.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8

***First two sets with a distinct second or two pause at the peak.

And that's all she wrote. It will be difficult to get in enough calories today, considering the poor eating in the morning. Just finished a nitrotech bar, and have a couple chicken breasts to go later today. Then I'll be off to muay thai, so probably only time for one more meal after that. I may f*ckin end up under 2k calories today. :mad:

Relentless
04-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Supported Angled T-Bar Rows:

45x8/90x8/115x3

*Not sure if this is what it's called, but figured I'd give it another shot. This thing is fooking tough. I wonder how much the contraption weighs with now weight on it. I mean, I fancy myself as having a decently strong back, and it's humbling to only put on two plates and have it be a struggle to get that 8th rep, and then get totally owned by adding an extra quarter to the bar. It's a pretty long ass bar, and is pretty thick and square. I may give this thing another couple tries, but I may just move to chins or something instead, as I've thought about incorporating those anyway.

Why worry about the weight if you're getting a good workout from it? :D

That DOES seem awfully low though... I know that I was doing 180 for 8 and was getting 205 for 4-5 or so last time I did these. Based on your pulldown and other back things, I reckon my lats are roughly close to yours in strength, so we should be pulling some similar weights here.

I will assume you mean a lever-based machine like THIS:
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/BackGeneral/LVInclineRow.gif

Some possible pointers:
- try a yates-style palm-up grip
- make sure you're properly positioned with the chest pad supporting your CHEST, not your stomach... I see a lot of guys riding this thing way too high... this may involve a lot of knee flexion (you're almost my height) and you may almost feel like you're humping the steel bar below the pad... but you gotta get in the right position for your lats... shoulders should line up with the handles, not be above/past them

ElPietro
04-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Hmm...that graphic is almost it, although, the one at my gym is much bigger. I think I know why there are weight differences. It is because of leverage. The bar that you put the plates on, is at least 2 or 3 feet further out then the one in the animation there. This is sorta the same as the leverage seated calf raise machine we have. It looks like it's from the 40s, and the arm is like 6 feet out in front of you. I don't know the mathmatical formula, for the distance of the lever arm and how much it increases the actual force required, but I know its very much significant. Sorta like carrying a weight tight against your body, versus way out in front of you. If I lay perfectly flat on this thing, I'd need my arms to be about 3 or more feet longer before I could reach where the weight plates are.

I wasn't going to take it out because I felt like I was weak because of the weight. I just have thought about doing pull ups for some time now, and if that gets included, I'm not sure what I'll restructure, get rid of.

chris mason
04-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Those are the support rows I used for years in the gym.

ElPietro
04-01-2003, 08:22 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Ok, tonight was pretty f*cking tough. Chest on monday had my shoulders burning pretty damned quick, and I had to keep dropping them. Don't even get me started on how much fun doing f*cking pushups was. Let's throw in the fact that I was a retard with my diet, and was under 1k calories, which included me having worked out on lats and traps this afternoon as well. But the pain comes from being put with a fairly advanced, wiry, and bony motherf*cker. Because of SARS the gym decided that no clinching would be allowed, so we just did a ton of conditioning at the end. About 6 rounds of f*cking kick blocks, and this bastard turns his shins to make sure it's bone on bone, and him being a bony bastard, his shins were basically like knives, which I don't mind if it hits muscle, but the moment we go shin to shin I get a most disagreeable and numbing pain. I felt like a wuss. Oh well, I have a whole buncha notches to add to all the notches I had before along my shin. I'm sure things will feel great tomorrow. :)

Ps. I'm out of shape.

Originally posted by chris mason
Those are the support rows I used for years in the gym.

I guess if you used them for years, then you feel that they are an pretty decent exercise eh? Any particular grip you felt stronger, or worked better for you? I used underhand today, but the first time I used a neutral grip. If I add in pull ups, I may take out the hammerstrength high rows, and keep these support rows in for now.

WillKuenzel
04-01-2003, 08:28 PM
About 6 rounds of f*cking kick blocks, and this bastard turns his shins to make sure it's bone on boneIt was my first time doing these tonight and my shins are killing me now. And I hear ya on being out of shape. I thought I was in decent shape. LMAO, its almost sad.

IceRgrrl
04-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Sounds like quite a workout...and :tuttut: to you for not eating enough beforehand! The pre-fatigue from the previous chest/back workouts can't really be helped since you are trying to juggle lifting and martial arts, but going into an intense workout like that without being properly fed...you know better than that :p Pack more food to haul to work...

As for the T-bar rows/support rows, my experience is that they force you to do ALL the work with your lats/back by taking any lower back/lower body assistance out of the equation. This is probably why you have to use a lower weight. It's surprising how much stabilizing/assistance you get out of the rest of your body if you're doing a bent row or something similar. Anyway, if you're doing deads on another day then you're getting that compound work in and the T-bar row might be a perfect isolation exercise on back day.

ElPietro
04-02-2003, 07:32 AM
No, I am not doing deads right now. I am focused on getting my squat up. Yes calories sucked yesterday, in the end, I struggled to get more in, and came out at a whopping 1800 cals, which is completely rediculous. Before bed I had a tub of cottage cheese, and put 1.5 tablespoons of safflower oil in it. This had the effect of turning perfectly good tasting cottage cheese, into cottage cheese that smelled like old dirty socks. But I got through it.

Relentless
04-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Petey... rather than spoiling other foods, if you wanna add fat at the end of the day, just doa shooter of flax oil or other oil.... chase it with water to wash the taste out and you're golden.

carolinagirl
04-02-2003, 12:35 PM
This had the effect of turning perfectly good tasting cottage cheese, into cottage cheese that smelled like old dirty socks. But I got through it.

*shudders*

Well, at least it wasn't flax oil. That would've turned it into cottage cheese that smelled like a dead fish's old dirty socks.

And nice post in the Narc BB rows thread, btw. You were the voice of sweet reason, and I agree with you 100%. As always.

Well, let's say as usual. Just to be safe.

ElPietro
04-02-2003, 12:40 PM
You would be much safer to agree with me 100% of the time. :p

Yes, I have putrified my cottage cheese with flax in the past, and I was expecting the worst when I used the safflower oil, which I didn't even know I had in my cupboard. I was gonna use olive oil.

I have a bottle of Udo's Choice in my fridge, but it's about a year old now, and requires throwing out. Maybe I'll get to it one of these months...it's sitting right beside the carton of egg whites that have a best before date of december '02. :D

carolinagirl
04-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I bought that cinnamon flavored flax, and it's actually bearable. I can take it straight without wanting to immediately hurl, and it's not but about $1-2 more than the nasty kind. (The kind I have is by Spectrum. I think that 1fast is going to start carrying it soon, too.)

Then you could just have pure, delicious cottage cheese without any manner of putrification.

IceRgrrl
04-02-2003, 12:46 PM

I have a bottle of Udo's Choice in my fridge, but it's about a year old now, and requires throwing out. Maybe I'll get to it one of these months...it's sitting right beside the carton of egg whites that have a best before date of december '02. :D

I call that "time to throw out the science projects in the refridgerator" :p

In the freezer, the same phenomenon is known as "disposing of Unidentified Frozen Objects (UFO's)"

carolinagirl
04-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Icer, maybe when he moves into the new house he'll toss it.

More likely, he'll pack it up and take it with him. :rolleyes:

Men.

ElPietro
04-02-2003, 12:53 PM
LOL! Cinnamon flavoured flax, that's hilarious. I wonder if they'll come out with a whole line of flavoured flax seed oils. Then they could start manufacturing special flax oil glasses or snifters, or like martini glasses, and soon, before you know it, there are posh new "Flax Bars" popping up all over the city. :p

Ice yeah, I guess that as a lazy individual, things don't get thrown out unless they are taking up too much space. I hate wasting stuff, and I always feel bad when throwing stuff out after the due date, I dunno why I've left it there all this time, as it's right infront of me everytime I open the fridge. Pissed me off even more last night, when I got everything out to make a quick omlette, and then realized that I only had one egg in the fridge. Of course my gaze immediately fell on the extremely overdue egg whites, and I gave it about 0.0000084 seconds of thought, before I mindlessly closed the fridge and went back to watching the hockey game. :p

IceRgrrl
04-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Ice yeah, I guess that as a lazy individual, things don't get thrown out unless they are taking up too much space. I hate wasting stuff, and I always feel bad when throwing stuff out after the due date, I dunno why I've left it there all this time, as it's right infront of me everytime I open the fridge. Pissed me off even more last night, when I got everything out to make a quick omlette, and then realized that I only had one egg in the fridge. Of course my gaze immediately fell on the extremely overdue egg whites, and I gave it about 0.0000084 seconds of thought, before I mindlessly closed the fridge and went back to watching the hockey game. :p

Hey, I usually get around to cleaning out the science projects when a) the fridge gets too crowded and I need room for new food, or b) I start to run out of containers...and then it's a judgement call as to whether I want to brave opening the science project and cleaning it out or just decide to throw it away container and all :p

rookiebldr
04-02-2003, 01:07 PM

Hey, I usually get around to cleaning out the science projects when a) the fridge gets too crowded and I need room for new food, or b) I start to run out of containers...and then it's a judgement call as to whether I want to brave opening the science project and cleaning it out or just decide to throw it away container and all :p

:nod: Same here.

I could not bare to put oil in my cottage cheese. Time to get some protein/carb powder for those critical top up days.

ElPietro
04-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Well, cals yesterday came just shy of 2200. I am thinking that this should be closer to 2500 if possible. Felt a bit drained today anyway.

Today's delts/arms workout:

135x8/145x5/135x5

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

40x8/40x6/30x8

SUPERSET with:

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x6/35x6/30x6

SUPERSET with:

Alternating DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8/20x8

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8

SUPERSET with:

Rear Delt DB Flies:

30x6/30x6/30x6

DB Triceps Extention:

80x8/80x8

That's it. Didn't feel very satisfied with this workout. Had a good pump going, but pump is for faeries. Disappointed in the standing millies, but I guess I have to get used to being weak, and not really progressing much, if I'm going to keep cals as restricted as I am. Oh well, leg day is tomorrow, and that's always fun. Debating skipping muay thai tonight.

ElPietro
04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Ahhh, the sweet sickness of leg day. :) Cals weren't bad today, morning coulda been better, but ended up going to swiss chalet for lunch. Was still full an hour or so before my workout, so I had to force feed myself one of the two chicken breasts I had brought. Chucked the other.

Today was my planned attempt at a 4 plate squat. It ain't that much, considering it's warmup weight for my deadlift, but for some reason, I've either always sucked at squats, or I'm just a chicken sh!t.

So here's how it all went...

BB Squats:

135x5/225x3/335x1/405x2 :cool::cool:/315x3

*Fcuk yeah!!! :cool: I asked a couple guys to stand on either side and spot if I needed it. They didn't have to touch the bar, and I went down and up pretty damned quick. This felt exactly how it felt with 385 last week. So I sorta stood there and looked in the mirror for a sec, and told them I'd go for another, but the probability of needing help was much higher. So I went down again, bit slower, and got that summamab!tch up for another rep, without any forward drift even. The spotters did have their hands on the ends though, so I made sure that they didn't help, and they confirmed that they didn't, so I was pretty f*cking pleased. Although, out of the hole, on the second rep, my bad hammy started talking to me a little bit. It caused me concern as I was getting back up, but it didn't get any worse than that. The only problem is I may have strained my left hip flexor a little bit, as it was giving me a bit of aggravation on that set of 315, so I stopped at 3. That hip flexor continued to bother me a little bit throughout the workout, but whatever. It's about time I decided to slowly get my squat up into non-girly range...

45 Degree Leg Press:

540x6/720x6/680x8/630x8/450x10 (fast)

**Bit of progress here as well. 16 plates still feels pretty heavy after squats though. I do want to up the poundage though, so maybe next week.

This is where I get my lower back and grip workout. After loading 16 plates onto the leg press, I get to unload and load them all onto the standing calf raise about 20 feet away. And then after that I get the pleasure of unloading it again.

Standing Calf Raise:

540x8/810x8/720x8/720x8/630x8

Lying Hamstring Curls:

40x10/100x6/90x6

Hips:

2 sets of 10 Hip Adductor
2 sets of 10 Hip Abductor

***Upped the weight on this, and thought I strained something on the first rep, but it was ok. Not sure if the poundage was 60lbs or 120 or something like that. Has a couple settings, but I've never really cared too much on what the exact poundage was.

Seated Leverage Calf Raise:

70x8/80x8

Straight Leg Raise (on dip station):

2 sets of 10

Pull Down Abs (on Lat Pulley)

95x8/95x8/105x8

****Added a set, and increased the poundage on the last set from previous week. This caused "intense burning" in the abdominal area.

DB Side Bends:

80sx8/80sx8

Well, I was pretty damned happy with this workout. I've always known that my squats were limited mainly due to me being a pussy ass chicken sh!t, and it looks like I finally have seen the light. My main point to getting my squat up, is to balance my strength a lot better on the big three, and hopefully, this will hit some parts of me that may be limiting my deadlifts. I think another couple heavy sessions on squats, and I will go back to including deadlifts every now and then. I have always done conventional deadlifts, with my feet not much more than shoulder width, so I think I'm going to try to learn and focus on sumos for a while. I think with the shorter ROM and more incorporation of the hip flexors, I may be able to get my deadlift continuing in the right direction. I would consider myself a failure, if I don't achieve at least a 6 plate dead by the end of the year. Barring injury, I don't see that as being a problem.

chris mason
04-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Nice job on the squats.

ElPietro
04-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Thank you sir. :) Seeing that video of Latty squatting 4 plates, made me realize what a puss I am, and my fragile ego cannot handle being outlifted by someone whom I have approximately an 80 lbs advantage over. :p

the doc
04-04-2003, 07:09 PM
nice work peter!

squats are really impressive man

carolinagirl
04-04-2003, 08:12 PM
:clap:

Very nice squats. Not "faery"-like at all. (Although I think spelling it "faery" is sort of fairy-like. It seems sort of...well, european.) Still, all orthographic differences aside, great leg day!

rookiebldr
04-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah 405! :eek: Nicely done Peter. I would say more, but there just isn't anything more to be said.

Relentless
04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
nice squat f00!

I had cheesecake on the weekend, but cheesecake without carbs. Muhahaha! And it wasn't because of a craving; I just FELT like it!! Well, it was made with oligofructose so it had no sugar, and the fat is good for me so it was all good! :)

I'm not even going to try squatting 4 plates until after this cut but I hit 365 before my original ACL strain so i reckon 405 won't be that far off once I'm eating for maintenance/gain. :D

I really REALLY hear you on the feeling-weaker from reduced cals/diet. I can feel my muscles just sort of *stopping* partway thru lifts I thought I could make. It's kinda stressful. But worth it.

ElPietro
04-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys, and gal. ;) I always felt that I should be able to squat that much given my other lifts, and it was satisfying to actually achieve it. I can at least say that I AM a 3,4,5 lifter now. :)

Cal, where did you get this cheesecake? What is the brand? Would be cool if I could find some low carb alternatives for during the week. Weekends I am looser with carbs starting with friday a bit, and then saturday all out, and then taper off on sunday. Two big ass plates of spaghetti seem to be the standard dinner on saturdays now. :drooling:

I've pretty much managed to keep carbs during the week to between 10-20% of total cals, 20% being on the high side of things. Cals still have been somewhat low.

It'll be interesting to see how this afternoons workout goes. I think I managed a total of 1, maybe 2 hours of sleep this morning. :(

rookiebldr
04-07-2003, 10:35 AM
I'd be pretty interested in that cheesecake as well. Low carb seemingly cheat food sound great!

Relentless
04-07-2003, 11:37 AM
it's homemade

sara got the recipe from Suzanne Somers' book

ElPietro
04-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Well it looks like having 1-2 hours sleep, and low cal diet has impacted todays workout. Dunno why I felt surprised by this, as I guess I should start getting used to it.

Today, I worked my boobies.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/265x3+1/225x7

Dips:

BW-50 x8/BW-50 x8/BW-60 x8

Incline Machine Press:

180x8/180x6/170x5

DB Flies:

35x8/35x8

That's it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In another week or so I'm gonna take a new set of measurements. If they haven't shrunk I will kill myself. I've gone too long being deprived of the heavenly selection of the Taco Bell menu.

ElPietro
04-07-2003, 06:25 PM
First playoff game in my ball hockey league. Things needed to get adjusted as two teams decided to chickensh!t outta the league due to SARS, and the proximity of where we play to Grace hospital. Anyway, we played a decent team, and beat them, so we get to move on. :) I got to sweat lots.

rookiebldr
04-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah, nice to see you advance and do some more sweating, um I mean cardio.

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Lat/traps day.

Supported Rows:

45x8/90x6/90x6

*I took a rough measure of the length of the arm and it's about 8 feet long, and the weight will come to rest about 6 feet from the base, so it's a pretty long lever. Also, just the lever itself seems pretty heavy, as when I warm up with no weight on it, it's still giving pretty good resistance. Hard to get the thing at a proper height for me though, felt more akward than last time for some reason.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/180x8/170x8

HS High Rows:

250x6/230x6

**Bah!

Single Arm DB Rows:

120sx8/120sx8

***Felt much easier this time. Maybe I just took a longer rest. These used to be a rather simple weight for me to do, first set on the right side was practically a speed set, after that it got much tougher.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/95x8

****Done rather slowly, with a good pause at the peak.

That's it. Looked a bit like a slightly fatter version of Goldberg when I was all pumped up after the workout, and had my shirt off in the changeroom. :p

PowerManDL
04-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Better catch up on those High Rows, tubby. I was doing 4 plates and a 25 per side last week ;)

Relentless
04-08-2003, 11:56 AM
i will come and work out with you before too long and judge for myself the difficulty of this supported row device. ;)

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
If you are using the same machine and same form I don't think you are doing that. If I'm stronger on all the major lifts than you, it doesn't stand to reason that on a semi-isolation movement that you would be pulling such a significant amount more weight than me. Not an ego thing, just a, "it doesn't add up thing."

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
My comment was directed at Matt, but I'll direct it at Scott too now! :D

PowerManDL
04-08-2003, 11:58 AM
You're stronger on everything except back movements, chunky!

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Deadlift uses the back. ;)