PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Relentless
04-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
My comment was directed at Matt, but I'll direct it at Scott too now! :D

How does it apply to me? my post in of itself AGREES with the idea that machines and leverages differ, so i need to pull on the same machine to compare to you. ;)

And at the start of this cut, I pulled 10 plates on MY bi-angular row machine. Not that that is relevant.

Relentless
04-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Deadlift uses the back. ;)

Nah. It's more ass than back.

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

How does it apply to me? my post in of itself AGREES with the idea that machines and leverages differ, so i need to pull on the same machine to compare to you. ;)

And at the start of this cut, I pulled 10 plates on MY bi-angular row machine. Not that that is relevant.

It applied, but you were agreeing, you just happened to sneak your post in before mine so I thought I'd include you. It's sorta like if I can squat say 4 plates, and someone struggles with 3, yet they can leg press 1,200 and I could only do 800, it would lead one to believe that the leg presses are different. Which is all I am implicating. Perhaps his lats are stronger, but if they are THAT much stronger, you would probably figure that the rest of him would be somewhat symmetrical enough to at least be as strong as me on the major lifts. It could very well be, but the probability is otherwise is all I am saying. Perhaps I just have really weak lats?

PowerManDL
04-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Yes. Weak lats are j00.

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 12:08 PM
You should change the DL in your name PowermanHR then, for High Row, since your deadlifts suck. :D

PowerManDL
04-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Screw you, tons of fun!

Relentless
04-08-2003, 12:13 PM
PM, yer just bein' snarky now. You may require an attitude adjustment if this keeps up.

*hefts crowbar*

ElPietro
04-08-2003, 07:58 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai. Lotta conditioning this class. Shin bones were sore from last classes kickblocking so it sucked even worse this time. The bone bruises I get I know could take over a month to fully heal, and the instructor keeps telling the few of us that don't have shin pads to get some, to which we reply, "shin pads are for pussies." Of course it's perfectly fine to wince at every kick, and whine and complain about the pain, so long as shin pads are not worn. :p

On an ego-puffing note, the guy I trained with today said that I had the hardest kick he's ever felt in his life, and he couldn't really hold the thai pads for them, and even went to get a mouth guard as he was afraind I'd kick the pads into his face. :cool::cool: I also couldn't knee more than 50% strength with this guy, so I guess it kinda sucked somewhat in that respect.

carolinagirl
04-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Nice work, you.

Chicks dig guys who can kick really hard. (And permanently bruised shins are a universal sign of masculinity.) So you're golden.

rookiebldr
04-08-2003, 10:31 PM
It's about time you puffed your ego. ;)

IceRgrrl
04-09-2003, 05:24 AM
1.5 hours of muay thai. Lotta conditioning this class. Shin bones were sore from last classes kickblocking so it sucked even worse this time. The bone bruises I get I know could take over a month to fully heal, and the instructor keeps telling the few of us that don't have shin pads to get some, to which we reply, "shin pads are for pussies." Of course it's perfectly fine to wince at every kick, and whine and complain about the pain, so long as shin pads are not worn. :p

LMAO! That macho crap cracks me up every damn time :p

Glad you had a good workout and got some good ego-boosting as well ;)

Coke
04-09-2003, 05:39 AM
He didn't tell you nothin we don't know already :D We've seen them arms...bet you pack a punch too :)

WillKuenzel
04-09-2003, 06:35 AM
the instructor keeps telling the few of us that don't have shin pads to get some, to which we reply, "shin pads are for pussies." Of course it's perfectly fine to wince at every kick, and whine and complain about the pain, so long as shin pads are not worn. :p Is this during sparring class or is this just at any class? I haven't seen anybody wearing shin pads yet but last time we did blocking I winced every time kind of wishing I had.

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 07:05 AM
No just during group class not sparring. Just partnered up. In the ring depending on whether you are focusing much on kicks, and how hard you decide to hit, I probably would use shin pads. This is just in the class, where you face your partner and alternate kicking at him with each other blocking, so lotta shin on shin, which really hurts, at least it does me. My shins are notched, although, I think it's probably more from hockey when I was a kid.

On a complete and utterly sh!t note, my weight seems not to have changed this week. I have no f*cking clue what I'm doing wrong. I really feel like breaking something. It was extreme restraint on my part this morning, in not putting my fist through the scale.

Relentless
04-09-2003, 07:09 AM
On a complete and utterly sh!t note, my weight seems not to have changed this week. I have no f*cking clue what I'm doing wrong. I really feel like breaking something. It was extreme restraint on my part this morning, in not putting my fist through the scale.

If it makes you feel any better, I bounced back up to 211 this morning after hitting 208 on the weekend. I'm not THAT worried about the scale because I know I've been eating a bit better the last 3-4 days plus my ketostix say I'm in fairly deep ketosis so I know I'm burning away fat. But still; it was frustrating to jump back to the high side of 210 again. I think it MAY be because I started taking coleus forskohlii...

I'm telling ya man... you still have 50+ days. Try a keto diet. It has been kicking ass for me!

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 07:45 AM
I am going on a search for a tanita scale. The one with the athlete setting. If I can take almost daily measurements of weight and bodyfat, with a digital scale versus the analog one I have to strain my eyes to tell what it says, I can get a decent trend going over time. Even if the bf% isn't super accurate, I can at least keep track of trends as long as I take them while hydrated and roughly the same time each day.

I will up calories, right now I am struggling to get food into me at times, so I may have to be a bit looser with one meal per day to get a higher cal total. I'm gonna aim for closer to 2700-2900 calories per day.

I will credit Icer with the idea for the tanita scale, as she suggested it, with measuring trends, and she also found that it was pretty much dead on accurate on each bodyfat measurement, as compared to multiple caliper tests. So maybe on athlete setting it's a tad more worth the purchase. Just not sure where to find em.

Relentless
04-09-2003, 07:50 AM
I will credit Icer with the idea for the tanita scale, as she suggested it, with measuring trends, and she also found that it was pretty much dead on accurate on each bodyfat measurement, as compared to multiple caliper tests. So maybe on athlete setting it's a tad more worth the purchase. Just not sure where to find em.

when you do find 'em, lemme know

I'll probably pick one up too

BTW: Pilate is playing tonite at the Rivoli and is opening for Matthew Good at the Kool Haus on Friday. The latter is sold out but the former is still open, I think.

IceRgrrl
04-09-2003, 07:53 AM

OMG! *faints* El P said something a) nice and b) non-suggestive in nature to me! ;)

Yes, I did a statistical study on myself as to the Tanita bf% measurements and how they correlated with caliper measurements over a long period of time and many readings (as in several month's worth of daily data from the scale compared to a bimonthly caliper measurement at my gym). Using athlete mode, the scale readings corresponded with the caliper readings with an offset of about +2 or +3%, i.e. if the scale said 23% the calipers read 21 or 20%. No, it doesn't give you a single absolute measurement (and unless you have access to DEXA, no measuring system does), but it is great for tracking trends AND understanding the amount of daily variation.

Relentless
04-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
[B]

OMG! *faints* El P said something a) nice and b) non-suggestive in nature to me! ;)
[B]

:hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump: :hump:

Sorry about that! The union would have his ASS on a plate if they knew. Please accept these as a substitute for now.

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Cal thank you for "handling" "the woman". :p

On the note of Pilate, I know you are a bumpkin from Barrie and all, but in case you are unaware, tonight is the opening night of HOCKEY PLAYOFFS! Were you not born in canada? I know some of the Pilate guys are New Zealanders, but any of the band born here should be cancelling that gig, and gluing their ass to their tv sets tonight. Shame on anyone who even tries to put on an event in this city simultaneous to a Leaf playoff game. They will rue the day...

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Ok, I have done some searching, and found that Fitness Depot carries the scales.

The one by my place has both in stock of the two models that measure in athlete mode.

One is $138, and the other is $198. The specs are as follows:

TANITA - MODEL 622 SCALE ($138)

Overview:
The Athlete Version of the new duo model is calibrated for both standard adult users and adults who are in an intense exercise program.

User Modes: Adults and athlete
Memory: 2 person
Weight Increments: 0.5 lb.
Body Fat Increments: 0.5%
Weight Capacity: 300 lb (136 kg)

Requires 4 AA batteries
1 year warranty

OR

TANITA - MODEL 556 SCALE ($198)

Overview:
This body fat scale has a special feature that gives daily calorie intake and healthy range readings. You can store data for 4 people and measure body fat in increments of 0.1%

User Modes: Adults, athlete and children
Memory: 4 person
Weight Increments: 0.2 lb.
Body Fat Increments: 0.1%

Requires 4 AA batteries
Shows Weight and Body Fat Simultaneously
Healthy Range Indicator
Daily Calorie Intake Readings
1 year warranty

So basically, I guess it comes down to how accurate a measurement do you need. Is .5lbs and .5% good enough, or .2lbs and .1%? I'm not sure I'll really take advantage of whatever the healthy range indicator is, and not sure what benefit the caloric intake readings are either as I track cals elsewhere. Don't need it for 4 people either. I would prefer weight to be at the .2lb increment level, but not sure I wanna spend $60 more for it.

Anyone have either of these scales or thoughts on the feature/benefit differences?

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Oh, and there is a fitness depot in Barrie as well Cal, in case you were unaware.

Joe Black
04-09-2003, 09:26 AM
LP, my mate had one and it was total ****e. Differences of 5% either way within minutes of trying repeatedly.

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Hulk
LP, my mate had one and it was total ****e. Differences of 5% either way within minutes of trying repeatedly.

Did it have an athlete setting? I think it's relatively new. I know IceR has had positive experiences and I just read an article from the University of Calgary. They tested two Tanita scales and compared it to complex water weighing/body density tests. They tested and gave percentages of readings that were within 3% of the water tank measurement. The non-athlete setting scale wasn't very good at all, something like 29%, but the athlete setting had 69% of all measurements within 3% of the water method measurement.

Joe Black
04-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Hmmm, no it didnít. It was quite some time ago, so it may well have improved.

I would be more worried about consistency than actual comparisons to known accurate systems. Let us know hoe you get on with it if you decide on one. They always interested me.

Anyway, what would you need an athlete button for? ;)

ElPietro
04-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Consistency is fixed by taking a great number of measurements over time at the same time of day. Even a bad measurement once in a while will not do anything particularly special to average or mean values. You could even take them every day, and have an weekly average, dropping the highest and lowest score for the week. But over a period of a month, with 30 measurements recorded, you will see a trend, whether it be trending up, down or static, and it will be very accurate in that sense. So you can tell regardless of what weight you are, if you are actually achieving a loss of bodyfat or not.

And Dan, that novelty you call a gym that you go to for the changeroom action? I actually pick up the weights. Oh and I play sports and stuff. You puffter!

Don't make me mail Frankie a cheque with sufficient funds for him to deliver an ass whooping on ya! :p

IceRgrrl
04-09-2003, 10:13 AM

TANITA - MODEL 622 SCALE ($138)

Overview:
The Athlete Version of the new duo model is calibrated for both standard adult users and adults who are in an intense exercise program.

User Modes: Adults and athlete
Memory: 2 person
Weight Increments: 0.5 lb.
Body Fat Increments: 0.5%

Requires 4 AA batteries
1 year warranty

This is the model I have. My own opinion is that weight measured to 0.5 lbs/body fat measured to 0.5% is plenty accurate considering the types of measurement and the amount of natural variation. And price was a deciding factor as well...as you mentioned, I didn't want to pay all that extra $$ just to be able to measure "measurement noise" more accurately and I had no interest in all those other features.

ElPietro
04-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Ok, before the hockey game last night (which the leafs won btw) I stopped and bought a scale. I got the cheaper one, the 622. It actually does measure to .1% bf and .2lbs so the info posted on their site is incorrect. I guess it's an updated version or something.

Went to a bar to watch the game and ended up drinking, but didn't drink my face off or anything. Ate some deep fried stuff but not a ton of it, so I think I stayed within my daily caloric range, although, all that crap wasn't exactly productive cals.

The scale itself rates my weight at about 4 lbs greater than my analog scale does. And I set myself up under both profiles for bodyfat, the athlete setting, and the adult setting. Now I was probably a bit dehydrated so I figured the reading would be skewed towards being higher. When I got on with it set to "athlete" mode, it registered at 15.7% bodyfat. I was a bit shocked, and I know I'm higher than that, so that is why I created a profile for the "adult" setting. Adult being defined as practically sedentary to moderate exercise, which certainly I'm not. Anyway, it showed 27.7% bodyfat, which I also know I'm not. So from now on I will keep track of both settings and just keep track of the trend. I figure I'm around 20%, which would tie in with me figuring I'm much more geared towards the athlete mode than the adult mode. But nevertheless, the number isn't as important as the trend. The scale also said I was 248, whilst my analog scale I've been using said 244 when I got on it right after the other scale. So just a difference in scales. I'll use the Tanita from now on when quoting weight.

Anyhoo, that's $156 gone after taxes. But I think this is a very worthwhile investment.

Today's workout was Delts/arms.

Standing BB Military Press:

45x10/135x5/165x3/135x8/135x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

155x8/155x8/155x8

SUPERSET with:

DB Concentration Curls:

45x8/45x6/35x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x6/30x8

SUPERSET with:

Alternating DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8/20x6

Rear Delt DB Raise

35x6/30x6/35x6

SUPERSET with:

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8

Standing DB Triceps Extensions:

90x8/90x6/80x8

*Ok, I was tired, and I guess my brain was shutoff. I was wondering why these were feeling a lot harder, and after the second set, I looked at the DBs and saw it was a 90, not the 80 I thought I had grabbed. I had to look at it a few times to actually realize. Doing them standing didn't feel much different than seated. Maybe a little easier to get the db up seated, and better on the back, but some foo was using the bench I like so I just did em standing.

That's it. Workout took too long though. Not that I care too much about missing extra time from work, just don't wanna make this a habit and someone start taking exception of my 1.5 hour lunches at the gym.

Will be going to muay thai tonight, which I'm guessing will be agony, as I can barely raise my arms right now.

ElPietro
04-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Oh, and another thing, when I came in, a guy just started using that supported row bench that I use and find very difficult. The guy wasn't big or anything, maybe 5'10, 180lbs, decent shape. He was using it with a 25 on it. I thought he might just be warming up, but then I saw him put a 10 on top for his next set, and he had to use straps. He got 6 or 8 reps out and then went back to the quarter for another set and then was done. So maybe me using 2 plates is about right. I don't see many ppl using it so maybe it's because you feel like a pussy using such light weight on the thing. :D

Oh well, made me feel a bit better.

rookiebldr
04-10-2003, 04:16 PM
I guess I missed most of this yesterday and now you have it all sorted out. Oh well, I still feel the need to comment.

I think the scale is a good idea. I wish mine had an athelete setting (it unfortunately was not a tanita) as well since my bf% registers 25% with it and I know I'm not THAT fat, which I sure Pete and IceRgrrl will confirm. The up shot is you did right in buying the one with the different settings. My scale gave me a 3 lb drop from my original. :P

Yeah Leafs!!!

As for your weight loss or lack there of. Do you need more encouragement? *rubbs hands together* :evillaugh

ElPietro
04-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
As for your weight loss or lack there of. Do you need more encouragement? *rubbs hands together* :evillaugh

Despite your status as "married man," I almost fear for some kind of homosexual connotations from this comment. :p

Yeah, I'm very happy with the scale. Having it digital means it'll be definitely a whole lot easier to read when I'm taking my first measurement in the morning and am all groggy. And it's by .2lb increments so I can measure variations and stuff like that. I will now take daily measurements and just track all kinds of trends. Along with the bodyfat, where I may take 2 or 3 readings per day some days, but split the data up by what setting and what time of day it is, since hydration levels will have a significant impact.

Oh, almost forgot I had a reason to come into my journal.

1.5 hours of muay thai.

Conditioning was much more focused this time, and I feel like I'm making big improvements in this. For a big guy, I generally don't expect to keep up with all the little wiry guys when it comes to most of the conditioning stuff, but I noticed I was lasting a lot longer than quite a few of them today. Plus felt like I could do a lot more. Keeping the hands up was an issue as usual. Shoulders today I'm sure were a big factor in that. Also, push-ups suck after shoulder and triceps training.

Soon ball hockey will be over, and I think I'll train monday evenings as well when that time slot becomes available. Of course, some training may be altered whilst hockey playoffs are on. Or so long as the Leafs are still in it at least.

rookiebldr
04-10-2003, 09:32 PM

Despite your status as "married man," I almost fear for some kind of homosexual connotations from this comment. :p

:eek: You found me out! tuttut

rookiebldr
04-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Of course, some training may be altered whilst hockey playoffs are on. Or so long as the Leafs are still in it at least.

At least you have your priorities straight. :)

ElPietro
04-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Well today is friday, and that means leg day.

Decided I'd try to improve upon last weeks 2 repper of a PR on squat. This was to be a somewhat abbreviated workout to enable me to get home in time for the hockey game.

BB Squats:

135x6/225x3/335x1/425xmiss/315x5

*Well, I had a couple guys come stand on either side. I went down, and started to drift forward a lot while in the hole, so the spotters helped me out. They didn't give very much aid, and I got it up, but any aid means I missed it. What I was even more surprised at, was the fact that I wasn't even pissed off. Usually I'm blazingly angry when I miss a PR attempt I expect to get. I think there are quite a few factors that contributed to this miss. Not to make excuses, but I think that my left hip flexor is still sore from last time, I also was stiff from thai boxing last night, and I didn't give myself enough rest between sets. But the main reason I think I missed was because I didn't visualize, and didn't think about form. I drifted forward, and I think I coulda easily had it, if I had mentally concentrated on staying back, and keeping proper form. I also did a quick set of hamstring curls before most of my squats, to warm it up a bit, which i've never done. Don't think that woulda impacted things though. Woulda been a 20lbs PR, but not sure if I'll try it or 415 next time. We'll see.

Of course the one time I'm in a rush, there's a f*cking guy on the leg press. Went to do some quick hammy curls.

Seated Leg Curls:

stack x8/stack x8

Decided not to do leg press, so just did some leg extensions instead.

Single Leg, Leg Extensions:

180 (fast with two legs for warmup)/150x8/150x8

I'm pretty much disinterested in my workout at this point. I decide to give up. But lotsa time still available, so jumped on the ellyptical. After about 3 minutes I got extremely bored, so I figured I'd at least do my ab portion of the workout. Got off the ellyptical, started to walk towards the lat pulleys for pull-down abs, and then decided to screw the entire workout. Turned around and headed towards the changeroom. I didn't deem it worth adding water to my shaker bottle, so skipped my post-workout shake.

What sucks most about this, is I'll probably still get DOMS from the squats, and that may prevent me from doing other activities to make up for this fiasco of a leg day.

Tomorrow I have the first day of my cabinet making class.

Also, ordered pizza for dinner, so not the greatest diet decision either. :rolleyes:

Oh, and just for the icing on the cake, leafs are getting killed 4-1.

Coke
04-12-2003, 11:35 AM
315 x 5 is very, very good on the squats. Perhaps another set like that would have made the workout groovier. :cool: lol

Relentless
04-12-2003, 05:49 PM
keep eating that pizza, Pietro

that money is as good as mine

ElPietro
04-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Need to keep up with the weekly updates.

Monday: Workout: Chest + Ball Hockey
Tuesday: Workout: Lats & Traps + Muay Thai
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Workout: Shoulders & Arms + Muay Thai
Friday: Workout: Legs x.25
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Well, this weekend was really sh!tty for my diet. Went out to the wine and cheese show at the international centre, and drank quite a bit. Then went to a bar down the road and ate pretty poorly and continued drinking. Went to 2 other bars after that before getting home at 2:30 am.

Sunday food consisted of a cheese omlette, a super assorted sub on multigrain, and then a bag of doritos later in the day. I don't recall eating anything else. :(

On a good note, my entire basement and foundation has been poured for my house. Was a big surprise when I drove by the lot on saturday. I also think they sold the other half of our semi, to a young couple with a kid or two. And I believe they are newfies, so that should be kinda fun. Was pretty relieved I didn't get some scum buying next to me. Maybe I'll have a supplier of screech soon. :p

I think I have a couple small leg injuries right now. My left hip flexor from the 405x2 squats from the previous squatting, and also behind my right knee, I've had some aching, and that started at thursday's muay thai. Friday's max squat fail I think helped contribute. It's not too bad right now though, and we'll see how things go tonight at ball hockey. This afternoon will be chest day.

ElPietro
04-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Chest:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x2/255x6/225x6

Dips:

BW-40 x8/BW-40 x8/BW-40 x7

Flat DB Flies:

35x8/35x8

Incline Machine Press:

180x8/180x6/160x8

rookiebldr
04-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Chest:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x2/255x6/225x6

ok, I get it. 2 reps on the second set. Max! ;)

ElPietro
04-14-2003, 09:18 PM
I sometimes do 1-3, but usually 225 is usually much further from my next working set that I'm planning to do. I'm just really weak right now. Also, I take a long break if I actually care about my working set. Today I took a moderate break, but I honestly am not caring too much about any of my lifts right now. I expect all except maybe squats and deads if I start em again to progress, otherwise not much from the others.

Anyway, had our playoff ball hockey game tonight. We dominated the other team. I played really well, and played more of an offensive role than a defensive one today. Scored 4 or 5 times and set up 2 or 3 goals as well.

So I think we are on to the semis now.

Also got to enjoy an overtime leaf victory. At a cost though, as both Roberts and Mogilny left with some injuries.

Tomorrow is lats/traps and muay thai. Hopefully whatever bothers me behind the knee during kicks is gone by then.

Diet was pretty solid today as well. Trying to get carbs higher, almost to a more even isocaloric level.

IceRgrrl
04-15-2003, 05:37 AM
Diet was pretty solid today as well. Trying to get carbs higher, almost to a more even isocaloric level.

Ah, changing a few variables in your experiment? I think it's a good move, especially with all the activity that you have.

ElPietro
04-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Yes.

I am out of protein bars though. :(

ElPietro
04-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Lats/traps:

Supported Rows:

bar x?/1 plate x8/2 plates x6/2 plates x6

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x7/170x7

HS High Rows:

230x6/230x5

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

DB Shrugs w/pause

100x8/100x8/100x8

ElPietro
04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

heathj
04-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Pffft...and you call that training?!! ;)

ElPietro
04-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Shoulders/arms.

45x8/135x8/145x6/135x7

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

stackx8/stack x8

SUPERSET with:

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

45x6/40x6/40x6

SUPERSET with:

SkullCrushers:

105x8/105x8

*Tri pushdowns were more of a warmup then before last set of bis started with the skulls, so sorta a 3 exercise super but not really.

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8/35x8

SUPERSET with:

Rear Delt DB Raise:

35x6/35x6/35x6

SUPERSET with:

Standing DB Extensions:

80x8/80x8/80x8

**Ok, this super f*cking burned like a mother. Order was mixed a bit towards the end, as side raise and rear raise would conflict a bit. So needed more rest. Rear delt raises are done on a rear delt raise bench, so leaning forward with chest supported on pad.

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x6

Bleh, tired as fook now. The end.

I am contemplating skipping all workouts for one week. So this leg day will be missed, but next friday will be the first workout back. This will probably allow some of the problems I suspect may still nag at me if I go heavy on leg day, will also give me all long weekend to recuperate, and then I will just go with a week of cardio. So ball hockey monday, followed by muay thai tuesday through thursday, with some form of HIIT on a tready or steady cardio on an ellyptical on lunch breaks. It would be nice to go to muay thai for a week unhindered by DOMS. I pity the foo who will have to hold the pads. :evillaugh :rolleyes:

WillKuenzel
04-17-2003, 11:58 AM
It would be nice to go to muay thai for a week unhindered by DOMS. I pity the foo who will have to hold the pads.My forearms have never taken a beating like they did the other day in muay thai. The guy I was holding for just had some massive kicks and even though they were good pads it was still rocking my forearms. It'd be nice to deliver some kicks like that.

Are you wanting to just take time off from lifting weights because you've been so tired or is it something else?

ElPietro
04-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Just want to see if I can eliminate some nagging injuries. Something isn't quite right in my left hip flexor, and also behind my right knee.

Also, trying to cut bodyfat, so maybe a week of stepped up cardio will benefit me, while my weights aren't exactly progressing anyway. Also, just want to guage where I'm at right now with muay thai, and it's sometimes a bit hard to do that with my shoulders burning out so quickly due to other training.

ElPietro
04-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Yeah the forearms do take a beating. We have some new pads at the gym that are velcro, so if you have bigger arms, the velcro doesn't hold when you absorb a kick, so some of the guys grab the older pads that have buckles and straps, but much of the padding has been pounded out.

Last week my first kick the guy just turned around and went and changed pads. Said he thought I almost broke his arm. He had a really great kick too, my forearms were sore for three days as I had to use pads that barely had any stuffing left in em. This guy was from montreal and was UCC bound before he came to toronto. UCC = Canadian watered down UFC.

WillKuenzel
04-17-2003, 12:09 PM
How long have you been taking muay thai? Where do you plan on going with it or is it purely for recreation? They are having instructor testing tonight and I might go to that to see some of the guys taking the tests.

ElPietro
04-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Not that long if you count actual continous time. But probably close to two years at this place. But have had several major interruptions to my going there. I probably haven't ever gone consistently for any good duration. I have a lot of power, but stamina still needs a ton of work, and still have a lot to work on.

I still don't have a swing kick with my left leg. I'll maybe work on that next week. For some reason I've never felt the need to work on it in the past.

As for plans I don't know. I'm not a young buck like pretty much everyone else at my club. But only a few months ago, have they legalized sanctioned muay thai in the province of ontario. The first legit tournament is this weekend in Cambridge, but I have plans already. With the potential for the number of thai tournamets exploding in the next few years in the GTA, I may try to get into some form of competition shape. I shudder to think of some of the other super heavyweights out there though.

rookiebldr
04-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Pete, it's time you took some of that hockey aggression you seem to have out a particular team. I suggest we suit you up and let you kick some butt.

ElPietro
04-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Well, today marks my second missed workout now. I skipped friday legs, and now monday chest. I will continue on this trend until friday, where I'll start up on legs again. Hopefully this week off lifting will help a bit. Although, I will still maintain a heavy workload, with cardio replacing weight sessions, and muay thai as often as possible. Tonight was supposed to be ball hockey but found out it's cancelled until next week. I won't go to muay thai as I don't have my gear hear, and leafs play tonight anyway.

Today's cardio bonanza:

Intervals: Treadmill:

7 intervals, consisting of 2 minutes walking at 3.0, and 1 minute jogging at 6.5. Total time, 21 minutes.

*Sweat occured. I was only planning on doing 6, but forced a 7th out. I wasn't dying or anything, but decided to stop there for the first day. Shins were a bit uncomfortable. Previously I think 5 or 6 was the most I'd done.

Lower Body Stretching:

~5 minutes

Steady State: Bike:

15 minutes, 60-65 rpm.

**Nothing special here. Boring as hell though.

Also, here is last week's activity report:

Monday: Workout: Chest + Ball Hockey
Tuesday: Workout: Lats/Traps + Muay Thai
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Workout: Shoulders/Arms
Friday: Rest + sh!tty diet
Saturday: Rest + sh!tty diet
Sunday: Rest + sh!tty diet

Oh well, it was the long weekend. :rolleyes:

heathj
04-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Pete, it's time you took some of that hockey aggression you seem to have out a particular team. I suggest we suit you up and let you kick some butt.

He wouldn't want to break his newly manicured nails though!

ElPietro
04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Heathgay, I told you I do not care whether or not you braid your ass hair, so stop sending me PMs asking my opinion on such matters.

heathj
04-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Well I need to know what looks good!!! Slut.

IceRgrrl
04-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Nice work on the intervals :)

Sorry about the sh!tty diet, but it could have been worse, right? ;)

ElPietro
04-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Nice work on the intervals :)

Sorry about the sh!tty diet, but it could have been worse, right? ;)

Thanks. :)

And as for diet, yeah I'm sure things coulda been worse, although, I don't consider a breakfast consisting of one pack of skittles to be ideal either! :p

ElPietro
04-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Ok, Leafs are interrupting my schedule. I thought I'd make this a cardio and muay thai week, but leafs are on again tonight, so must watch game. So now I'll only be getting a max of two trips to the club in this week, which is no more than normal, and also without ball hockey on monday this is even less of a cardio week than normal. So I decided to lift, since I really didn't feel like getting on the treadmill. I'll go tomorrow for lunch though.

Also, forgot to post it yesterday, but there was a much bigger guy I saw on the supported row bench and I saw him do 7 reps for his final set, with 35lbs. This guy at least was someone I could guage his strength as he is DB pressing with I believe the 95s. Decent physique, with quite a bit of muscle, so now I feel better about the insignificant weight I put on it and struggle with. :D

Lats/Traps:

Supported Rows:

45x8/90x6/80x7

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x7.5

HS Highrows:

230x8/230x7

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Well, nothing is improving, not that I really expect it too at this point in time. But also, I'm not sure if anything has improved physique-wise either. The numbers are somewhat disheartening, and depending on when I look in the mirror I see anywhere from really good improvement, to next-to-nothing improvement. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow I'll retake all my measurements, but so far I don't expect much change at all going by visual inspection.

Of course coming off the weekend and having quite a bit of carbs probably has a lot to do with water weight and BS such as that, but I'll have to see how things go. I've been pretty good with diet other than the long weekend, but feel that I haven't found the magic formula yet. I think I need to refocus on getting enough protein daily. Being outta bars doesn't help things either so I'll have to pick some up.

ElPietro
04-23-2003, 07:41 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Took a few minutes breather then decided to do 50 power swing kicks on the tall heavy bag. 8 sets of 5 kicks, then a final set of 10.

I think I'll add in something extra after each session from now on. I need to work on my switching and kicking from the opposite stance.

Tomorrow I hope to do some afternoon cardio, and then more muay thai in the evening.

Friday will be leg day.

ElPietro
04-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Well I am super stiff today. Right ankle is killed, top of right foot is wrecked, bottom of both feet are one big blister, and my right hip feels like it has been encased in cement. Man, thai boxing is gonna be fun tonight.

This afternoon was cardio day at the gym.

Only did 5 intervals on the treadmill, ankle was starting to feel beat up, so that's a total of 15 minutes.

Did some more aggressive lowerbody stretching, for ~10 minutes.

Then did 15.5 minutes on the bike. Was only gonna do 10 minutes, then some guy from the office came in and got on the bike next to me and while chatting I didn't notice the time. Kept things pretty much steady state, again in the lower portion of the 60 rpm range.

With muay thai tonight, and leg day tomorrow, I think that my lower body will be very much looking forward to the weekend.

Franco
04-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Hows things with SARS where you are?

ElPietro
04-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
Hows things with SARS where you are?

I'm not sure actually. I'm not a big news watcher, so I'm not sure if things have slowed down or not. I know there are quite a few people in mandatory and voluntary quarantine though. Seems people are less paranoid now than they first were. Not sure how many ppl have died here from it yet, but I'd be more interested in numbers of those who died and were under the age of 65 or had some other condition already. Obviously by my somewhat ignorance of the current state of this issue, I'm not too concerned. Of course, I will still run if I see a coughing, feverish asian walking about. ;)

Training:

1.5 hours of muay thai.

Man, I think I'm falling apart. I was ultra sore and nothing worked as it normally does. Everything was significantly weaker. Both hips hurt, from the top of my foot to the bottom of my shin is red, in pain, and a few minor scrapes now, with some skin coming off. Mostly from last nights session. Applied some thai linament to the leg after class, and man did that summamabitch hurt. Also, many aches from yesterday's conditioning, since they basically trusted the guy and I enough to do some free style body conditioning, which we basically interpreted as leg sparring without any gear, but you aren't allowed to block. Some of the kicks weren't all that light, and a few ppl decided to watch us. After 3 rounds of this we stopped. Didn't feel as bad then as it did this morning though. I am SO looking forward to leg day tomorrow. Then I don't even get to sleep in saturday as my cabinet making class starts at 9am. *mutter*

ElPietro
04-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Ok, I neglected to post friday's leg workout. I was rather upset since I aggravated that left hip flexor quite a bit and was forced to cut things extremely short. For the record here's the session.

Legs:

Squats:

135x6/225x5/315x5

*Saw a couple guys deadlifting, and it reminded me how much I miss it and haven't done these in months, so decided to do a bit here for fun.

Conventional Deadlifts:

225x8/315x5/405x3/405x2

**Well my lower back really stiffened up from these, which is kinda pathetic, but I guess expected after such a long layoff. I debated going heavier and decided not too, as my hip was bothering me a bit.

Leg Press:

12 plates x7

***Well, after the 3rd rep, my hip starting causing me pain, and by the 7th rep it was a bit too much to continue the set, and figured I didn't wanna really fcuk anything up, so I stopped, unloaded the machine, and left. I was vexed.

Today will be chest day as per my regular routine, and then ball hockey this evening.

Here is last weeks activity review:

Monday: Afternoon Cardio
Tuesday: Workout: Lats/Traps
Wednesday: 1.5hrs - Muay Thai
Thursday: Afternoon Cardio + 1.5hrs - Muay Thai
Friday: Workout: Legs :rolleyes:
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Relentless
04-28-2003, 08:08 AM
how's the scale and the measuring tape doing for our little contest, amigo?

(I just tightened my belt another notch today... that makes 2" off the waist altogether...!!)

ElPietro
04-28-2003, 08:14 AM
It's difficult to say. Weight wise, there's been an improvement, but it fluctuates quite a bit. After a session of muay thai, or low carbing for a few days, my weight comes in much better than after a weekend of loose dieting, so it's hard sometimes to get a grip, when it fluctuates close to 5lbs due to water.

I feel much leaner, unfortunatley, it's difficult for me to guage this other than visually. I should have made sure to write down exactly how I took all my measurements, as it seems like my waist measurement hasn't changed much, despite my belt needed another hole in it as well. Although, it may have needed one before as well. So this is sorta my hurly burly approach to keeping track. I feel like I am making progress, although not at the pace I wanted. I will be able to tell whenever I take pictures, since they always turn out worse than you think.

Right now I'd say you are a shoe in, but there is still time left. I am only 40-50% of my goal in reasonable weight loss so far. At least I don't think I've lost muscle, although it's hard to tell.

Relentless
04-28-2003, 08:19 AM
damn.

sure you don't wanna try keto?

it's definitely done right by me!

ElPietro
04-28-2003, 08:21 AM
I doubt I could stay in ketosis for any significant duration, and haven't studied all the science behind it anyway. I'm not gonna go out and buy a book now for it to learn it all, and wouldn't have time to read it even if I did.

ElPietro
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Well back to my regular routine. I am back to not caring how much I lift or progress, so long as I AM lifting regularly. Makes for fun workouts. :rolleyes:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x8/255x4

*Was just going to do sets of 2 plates, coulda gotten more on the second, but didn't have a spotter and wasn't interested in pushing it without. Second set I had a spotter, and even struggled with the 4th rep. Ho hum.

Dips:

3 sets of Bw-50x8

Incline Machine Bench:

190x8/180x6

Flat DB Flies:

40x8/40x8

That's it. Pretty f*cking exciting...

Relentless
04-28-2003, 11:40 AM
sounds like we need to have a motivational session P.

we should get together for a workout this Sat!

ElPietro
04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Saturday I have my cabinet making class. I usually am not working out on the weekend, but COULD do a leg day on sat instead of friday. But my legs are rather f*cked up right now, so I'm not even sure if I will weight train them this week or not.

Anyway, I usually get out of class around 1:30pm and it's at humber college. So if yer gonna be down lemme know.

Relentless
04-28-2003, 12:02 PM
hm

1:30 is when football starts

we'll have to find another time/day maybe

I'll keep ya posted

Franco
04-28-2003, 03:19 PM

That's it. Pretty f*cking exciting...

Seretonin induced happiness! Ain't it just great :D

ElPietro
04-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Yes, these workouts are very fun. :)

Had ball hockey last night. Was the semi-finals. We lost 10-8. So now we are out, and I have monday available for training or rest as well. :)

Lats/Traps:

Angled Support Rows:

0x8/45x8/90x6/90x6

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x6

HS High Rows:

230x8/230x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Paused DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8

Yipee.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 05:16 PM
what exactly is ball hockey? sounds interesting

Skillz
04-29-2003, 05:21 PM
swingin by your jounral El P, lookin pretty tight

u got sum pretty tight lower body strength in the squattin n DLin

chest is pretty good too, keep up the heavy weights

Skillz

ElPietro
04-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
what exactly is ball hockey? sounds interesting

It's hockey in a gym where you run around with sticks and shoot a ball instead of a puck. It's a really small gym in this case, and it's 3 on 3, with one player having to be female. Lot of running back and forth.

Originally posted by Skillz
swingin by your jounral El P, lookin pretty tight

u got sum pretty tight lower body strength in the squattin n DLin

chest is pretty good too, keep up the heavy weights

LOL, thanks man. But I must defend myself, other than the squats, the numbers you see are significantly lower than what they've been in the past. My workouts I haven't really geared towards strength lately, due to my cutting diet, so I don't really have the same energy levels. Usually I throw around 4 plates on deads, but I guess coming back after months off really take you down a few notches. :D But thanks for taking notice dude. :)

Ok, serious training update:

1.5 hours of muay thai.

*I think the hip is still a problem. Kicks weren't up to par, and I didn't push them. Also, new guy, didn't hold the pads properly despite me correcting him 4 times. After I caught my foot for the third time I gave up. I might go in and hit the bag a bit or some other cardio after work tomorrow. I think I wanna take it easy on the hip this week though. Will probably skip legs again, maybe do muay thai on friday instead. Still lotsa leg work, just not the same kind of strain that squats, deads or leg press will put on em. God I'm such a pussy.

ElPietro
05-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Today's Delt/Arms workout:

Standing BB Millies:

45x8/135x8/145x4/135x6 or 7

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

stack x8/stack x8

40x8/40x8/30x10/30x8

Skull Crushers:

105x8/105x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8

Alternating DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8

Overhead DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

Rear Delt DB Raise:

30x6/30x6

DB Hammer Curls:

45x6/45x6

There was a lot of supersetting in there, but I'm too lazy to type it out.

Too busy reading about home theatre receivers and purchase options. Everything from order direct from US refurb, to refurb in canada, to ebay.ca. If anyone has any advice lemme know.

Skillz
05-01-2003, 05:25 PM
lol millies...nice name for em! weight is lookin pretty good on em man

your lateral raises r also lookin pretty good

u should throw some kick backs in there somewhere though!

j/p lol, i just had to say that because every time i read your profile that line cracks me up

Skillz

rookiebldr
05-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Too busy reading about home theatre receivers and purchase options. Everything from order direct from US refurb, to refurb in canada, to ebay.ca. If anyone has any advice lemme know. [/B]

Dam good thing I'm not too far away. I think I know where I'm going to hang out. ;)

Wish I could help you out on the selection. I just went with a brand I knew and had some features that I wanted. Good luck on your selection.

ElPietro
05-01-2003, 07:30 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai.

Skillz, thanks man, I feel pretty drained after this workout. Lotta volume for a lotta small muscle groups. But whatever, my workouts on this cut and on this split are more like mindless training sessions. I don't try for PRs I don't do much other than come in and lift relatively the same thing day in day out. I'm hoping to maybe cut until August or so, and then maybe bump calories up to maintenance levels.

Rook, yeah man, I am struggling with all this, but usually I'm surfing at work with about 10-15 explorer windows open. :p I've registered at 2 or 3 home theatre forums, and lurk basically at 2 or 3 others. Plus about 40 google searches per day on specific models to get reviews. :D I emailed 2 or 3 distributors, and called one, and another e-tailor that peddles on ebay.ca. After all this hard work for the past 3 or 4 days, I think I'm going to settle down, and not do anything for a few months. I'll still lurk there but unless a stellar deal comes along I'll wait till maybe a month before my house completion. I don't want to wait until I"m IN the house, because I know there will be a million and one things to be done, and if I don't buy some crap before I get in there, I probably never will. So for now I'm browsing, but basically I will have the entire finished basements at my disposal for this, and plan on getting a good receiver, some decent speakers, and a front LCD projector. So I'll have either 5.1 or 6.1, or maybe 7.1 surround sound with an 80-100" screen for movies, plus I'll throw my 32" trinitron down there as well for everyday cable viewing. I'll be getting a 7.1 capable receiver, but may use multizone for another room, so that would tie up two speaker outputs, limiting to 5.1. Of course a satellite is a must as well.

So I am going to form the ultimate "superbowl" environment down there. I will build a bar, and some bar height tables as well in the back so you can see over the couch/chairs, and will work constantly on design until I get in there.

It will be ace. :cool:

rookiebldr
05-01-2003, 07:51 PM
:drooling:

And exactly, when do we move in?

ElPietro
05-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Well I went from skipping leg day altogether, to going to the gym and skipping compounds, and only doing isolation exercises, to doing some deads.

Deads:

135x?/225x3/225x1*/315x1/315x1*/405x1/475x1

*Bah, good thing I put 35s on instead of a fifth plate. 475 was actually hard, and I fought a bit for lockout. Kinda gay, but I guess second time back after a layoff I can't be hitting PRs for a bit. The reps with "*"s beside them indicate my attempt at sumo deads. It felt quite odd compared to conventional. It seems to be harder off the floor, but then it seems like within a few inches of ROM the lift is complete. Feet were somewhere around the power rings. Roughly centered I guess. I'll work slowly on these, especially since it puts more strain on the hips I found and that's primarily my current injury issue.

Single Leg Extensions:

stack(250) x10 (warmup with both legs)/130x8/130x8/140x8

**I think that's correct, although my memory is a bit foggy.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

80x8/80x8/80x8/80x8/80x8

***Upped the volume here. Hamstrings were sore for a good part of the week from last weeks incorporation of deadlifts. I didn't post it back then, but my form wasn't the best, and they pretty much all were stiffs.

Loading the Calf Machine:

1 set :D :cool:

Standing Calf Raise:

450x8/630x8/720x8/720x8

Unloading the Calf Machine:

1 set :( :cry:

Hip Stuff:

2 sets Adductor
2 sets Abductor
3 sets Leg Raise in dip station

****Well, as I already knew, it's my left hip adductor that is the problem. I went really light and gingerly with these exercises to make sure that I was hopefully helping instead of hurting it.

Pull Down Abs on Lat Pulley:

95x10/95x10/95x10/95x6

*****Lotsa burn.

DB Sidebends:

85x8/85x6

That's it. Protein shake immediately after, and I just polished off some KFC now. :)

Skillz
05-02-2003, 11:05 PM
still nice pullin on the deads El P...how does it feel doin sumo style? i always do conv deads, never tried sumo...kinda awkward eh?

Skillz

Wolverine
05-03-2003, 12:34 AM
ElP, had to stop in here, tell ya, saw you pics a while back but never commented for some reason or another. Well it's about time I did. You are one big bad mother f*****. Excellent work man. Hey did that guy from that one thread ever come over to fight ya LMAO.........

Relentless
05-07-2003, 12:28 PM
and I just polished off some KFC now. :)

tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut

KFC always *sounds* like a good idea

But don't you just regret it afterwards when all that nasty greasy chicken is swirling around in your innards?

rookiebldr
05-07-2003, 12:55 PM
I guess if he was on the same keto diet as you then it would be ok...wait likely to many carbs in the coating! tuttut tuttut

Pete, it's Wednesday and still no workouts in here.

the doc
05-07-2003, 01:29 PM
wow! they have KFC in canada!!!

do you pay in those funny canadian dollars?

rookiebldr
05-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Yup, those funny Canadian dollars are accepted, EVERYWHERE!

I guess we forgot to give you the $.05 tour! Spent too much time racing on the expressways.

IceRgrrl
05-08-2003, 05:37 AM
He was too overcome by road signs listing distances in kilometers and gas prices in dollars per liter ;)

doc, you were the most touristy tourist I've ever seen...LOL! But your enthusiasm is endearing :p

I think El P's been sick these last few days...but I'm sure as soon as he's back at work, he'll be back to surfing and posting and otherwise killing time with us :D

ElPietro
05-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Yes, I've been sick with the flu since saturday evening. Left work monday morning and have just returned today. Spent all week as a big fat sloth, and still am not recovered. Not sure if I'll go to the gym tonight or not, I haven't been since friday which is unacceptable.

Skillz, thanks, and sumos felt a bit odd. Felt like it was putting a bit of stretch on the hips, but I think after a bit of work they will be easier.

Wolverine, haha, thanks man, the pictures probably make me out to look better than I am though. I believe the thread you are speaking of was just a misguided joke. Good thing because I was kinda scared. ;)

To the assface triumvirate: Pfft, I shall eat greasy chicken and pay with our funny peso-esque money as I see fit. :p No pun intended on the word "fit".

To IceR: :hump:

Skillz
05-08-2003, 05:29 PM
u sick too? i'im not sure wat i have at all...seems like whooping cough, which it could be, but wit sum bad nasal congestion and stuff lol, it sux

get well El to the P
Skillz

ElPietro
05-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks man, slowly getting better.

Well it's been a week since I've been to the gym so figured I'd go today, and do a mishmash of exercises and get ready for next week.

Dips:

BW-50 x8/BW-50 x8

HS High Rows:

90x10/200x8/220x8

Standing BB Millies:

45x8/135x8/135x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/180x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

stack x8/stack x8/stack x8

40x8/40x6

Jumped on the ellyptical for 20 minutes.

Was gonna leave it at that but decided to do a bit of hip work. So did a couple sets on both the abductor and the adductor. Abducting I still felt some aggravation on the left side, so things aren't back to 100% yet.

Pulldown Abs (on Lat Pulley)

95x8/95x8/95x8

That's it.

Wolverine
05-09-2003, 08:43 PM
so i'm not the only one sick around this place. it frickin' sux!!! skillz, i have the exact same thing you described.............

glad ya were able to hit the gym again ElP.....

Coke
05-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Saw you were under the weather and what not, so it is good to see you doing better. By the way, I hope to get an invite to the new home - So far, so magnificent ! :D

ElPietro
05-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes being sick sucks ass, however, other than a dry cough I have pretty much recovered. And yeah man, there will be a WBB invite for those interested, I will whip up a batch of protein shakes and we can watch Pumping Iron and then have flex offs! :cool:

Or drink beer and watch football. :)

Today's ultra lame chest workout.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/225x6/226x5

*Lol. Ok, I didn't have a spotter and had no energy to push. This is really crap though. I think when I get back to afternoon workouts I'll focus more on getting the strength back up a tad if possible. There were way too many people at the gym tonight though. As I put the plates back and headed to the dip station I got half way there before some chick walked into the gym and headed straight for it and got there 5 feet before me. I became enraged for some reason, but just shuffled off and did something else.

Flat DB Flies:

40x8/40x8/40x8

Dips:

BW-40 x8/BW-40 x8/BW-60 x8

Incline Machine Bench Press:

180x8/160x6

That's it for the workout, they are designed to be short for my lunch breaks, and I want to stick with the program for now. Jumped on the ellyptical and did 15 minutes working up a decent sweat. Did some very minor stretching of the hips and hamstrings and that's all she wrote.

the doc
05-12-2003, 09:24 PM
He was too overcome by road signs listing distances in kilometers and gas prices in dollars per liter ;)

doc, you were the most touristy tourist I've ever seen...LOL! But your enthusiasm is endearing :p

;)

the doc
05-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Yes being sick sucks ass, however, other than a dry cough I have pretty much recovered. ...

SARS!!!
:omg:

MrWebb78
05-12-2003, 09:28 PM
As I put the plates back and headed to the dip station I got half way there before some chick walked into the gym and headed straight for it and got there 5 feet before me. I became enraged for some reason, but just shuffled off and did something else.

i really hate when this happens, especially when its some half assed gym-goer and they dont even do it right, or take too long between sets.

Tankette
05-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Yeah, those damned chicks...

*shakes head in disgust*

the doc
05-13-2003, 05:47 AM
*raises fist in air*

ElPietro
05-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Yeah, they should just stick to wearing form fitting spandex, and prancing around with the pink DBs or using the stair master for 3 hours straight.

Today was lats/traps. Another uninspiring workout, which I guess is to be the norm now.

HS High Rows:

180x8/230x8/230x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

WG Pulldowns:

170x6/150x8

I am trying to think of another lat exercise that I did, but for some reason I'm not sure if I did anything else. So I'll leave this or edit later if I remember. :mad:

DB Shrugs w/pause:

100x8/100x8/100x8

I saw some new f@g at the gym, kinda big, and he was teaching this chick how to do certain exercises. So he had her doing DB rows, and he was using maybe a 40 or 50lb db, and had straps on, and a belt loosely attached to his waist. I was torn between amusement and disgust that some f*ckface like this is teaching someone else how to train. So after that back exercise he showed her overhead rope triceps extensions, so god knows what kinda retarded program he has her on. Retarded people really anger me for some reason.

Relentless
05-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Today was lats/traps. Another uninspiring workout, which I guess is to be the norm now.

I have approached lifting while cutting kind of like long distance running while smoking.

In absolute terms, your performance is less.

But you get to FEEL like you're working really hard! :)

ElPietro
05-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I can still see the numbers on the plates, and when they stay the same for so long, or much lower as is the case, I don't really care what my perceived effort is, I KNOW I'm not lifting as much.

Last night I got back to thai boxing. Did the class but worked on the bannana bag instead of with a partner. So worked probably a slightly slower pace, but doing close to double the work since I didn't have to hold pads for anyone. I skipped the last two rounds though, as my foot was starting to look ugly.

ElPietro
05-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Shoulder/Arms today.

Standing BB Millies:

bar x15/135x8/185x2.25*/135x8

*I was tired of lifting the same weight all the time, so decided to throw a quarter on as well and cheat a bit with the legs. Struggled through 2 reps and the 3rd wasn't happening. Oh well, such excitement for today. Used my legs but not a ton.

Vertical Rows:

115x8/115x8

**Thought I'd add these in, traps need a tad more work so figure this will incorporate them a bit. I may have done 3 sets but can't remember now, so I'll just list two. Done with oly bar, hand position was basically right around the beginning of the smooth part on either side.

Triceps Cable Pushdowns:

Stack x8/Stack x8

***Basically warmup

SUPERSET with:

Single Arm DB Preachers:

40x8/35x8/35x8

Skullcrushers:

105x8/105x8

Rear Delt DB raise:

35x6/35x6

****Really tough. :(

OH DB Extensions:

80x8/80x6

DB Hammer Curls

40x8/40x8

That's it.

ElPietro
05-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Quick workout, somewhat a leg day. Not gonna bother with squats for a while until I feel no problems from the left hip.

2 minutes quick warmup on the bike while I tried to figure out what I was actually gonna work on.

Deads:

135x6/225x6/315x3/405x2/495x1/405x2/405x2

*Well at least I'm not completely that far off from my previous lifts. 405 DID feel heavy though, which kinda sucks since it shouldn't. Oh well, pulled 5 plates while lighter, on less cals, and just plain weaker. :)

Leg Extensions:

250x10/140x8 (single leg)/140x8 (single leg)

Leg Curls:

half the stack x8/stack x8/stack x8

Hips:

I pushed the hip adductor much further today, more weight, more reps, and it responded well. Did three sets, and then two sets of abduction, then 2 sets of 8 of straight leg raises on the dip station.

Pulldown Abs on Lat Pulley:

95x8/105x8/105x8/105x8

**Upped the weight, and all I can say is there was a "burn."

I'm pretty sure I didn't forget anything, so that's it for a glorious leg/ab workout for today. :)

Now I must shower and go out and drink. I don't even get a chance to play around with my new digital cam that I bought yesterday, or the new printer that I picked up today. *mutter*

ElPietro
05-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Look what I own.

ElPietro
05-18-2003, 03:58 PM

ElPietro
05-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Well, it's a semi-detached, so technically I only own half of it. But it has a wall now. :)

Chris Rodgers
05-18-2003, 06:15 PM
That piece of crap shack?? You better get a roof on that bitch! :p

What will it consist of when finished?

RG570
05-18-2003, 06:51 PM
that sure is a fancy abode

Skillz
05-18-2003, 08:26 PM
like RG said

:D
Skillz

ElPietro
05-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Yes latty, I did pay for the roof option. :D

Here's an old pic I had of the model, taken at night while raining, so not so great a shot. I'll get better pics when I get my digicam back, as I returned it for a better model which won't be in stock probably for a little while. So in the end it will look like this, only I think I chose a different brick colour, light grey if I recall correctly. Also, the pic isn't of my side of the house, my side will have a balcony with a french door over the main entrance, where the pic here only has that sloped roof. Thought I had more pics but can't seem to find them.

ElPietro
05-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Chest.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/245x5+1/225x6

Dips:

BW -30x8/BW -30x8/BW -30x6

DB Flies:

45x8/45x6

Hips:

Hip Adductors: 2 sets of 10
Hip Abductors: 2 sets of 10
Leg Raise (legs to about head level): 2 sets of 10

*Just decided to do these for further rehab.

Incline Machine Press:

180x8/180x8/200x4.5

Did 20 minutes on the ellyptical, then stretched things out for 5-10 minutes and that was it.

rookiebldr
05-19-2003, 11:24 PM
So they are finally building it. I guess it won't be long now.

ElPietro
05-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Well, still more than 3 months to go. But from my layman's eyes, it looks to be well on schedule, if not ahead. Unless there is a major strike of some kind, I don't anticipate delays, but what the hell do I know.

ElPietro
05-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Lats/traps.

Angled Rows:

bar x8/1 plate x8/2 plates x6

HS High Rows:

180x8/270x6/230x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/180x6

DB Shrugs w/2 second pause

100x8/100x8/100x6 (no pause)

That's it.

heathj
05-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Last set no pause? Just too exhausted?

ElPietro
05-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Didn't leave much time between sets, as I was rushing to get out for a dentist appointment. So grip was fatigued, well traps too I guess.

Today I did some morning ellyptical for 20 minutes. Gonna be a busy day, so no other time to train. If I manage to wake up, I may keep this up for a little while.

Weight varies depending on what scale I use. The tanita is +5lbs over the scale I started with. I think I was roughly 250-255 when I started, and now my weight is somewhere around 235-238lbs on the original scale. Tanita said I was 239 on monday, and 241 last night, after a full day of eating. Had a big carby lunch so I'm pleased with the weight. Roughly 15+ lbs dropped. Bodyfat readings are somewhat all over the place, as my hydration levels vary significantly, which really skews the impedence. Maybe I'll setup a line of best fit when I get a chance and see what the true trend is. I know I"m lower, just how much lower I don't know. I am not as pleased as I'd like to be with what I see in the mirror, but it's a start. Considering the number of relapses I've had during this cut, and not starting for the first 3 weeks I am happy with the progress. I thought that at 230 I would be happy, but I'm thinking that 220 is a more realistic number. If all goes according to plan, I should hit 230-233lbs by the end of May. My goal was 230, so I at least am not fully incompetent. I don't think I've lost much strength, so I don't think much of that is muscle. My lifts are less but I'm training in higher ranges and not really as much for strength. I guess I'll know better when I take some shots. Unfortunately I returned my digicam for a model that is on backorder, so may have to borrow my works crappy one, think it's only 1mp. Oh well, hopefully my cam can come in in the next week and a half. I don't think it has a "slimdown" scene mode though. :p

Relentless
05-21-2003, 07:13 AM
glad to hear that progress has been made despite falling off the wagon!

I can definitely say that once you get into 'perfect discipline' mode, the progress accelerates a bit... I bounced back up a bit myself after the long weekend due to the near-entire cow that I ate but that's sorted out now

looking back over it now, i have to say you were 100% correct -- my ketosis breath almost DID become an issue

fortunately, the timely application of mouthwash and chewing gum have sorted that out for the most part

rookiebldr
05-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Pete, it's great to hear of your progress. You haven't been highlighting it as much as some people, however, 15lbs is great. You really should feel good about the progress that you've made.

ElPietro
05-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, I don't highlight as much, as it's a slow process, and I still guage things visually. It changes by so much so often, it's easy to get excited about something, and then realize it's just retained water or bloat. There have been changes, and I am pleased, I just regret not getting things going earlier. I'm sure I can still give Cal a run for the money though, win or lose, this was worth it simply to get into the routine of eating better on a more regular basis, and putting myself on the path to a leaner look.

Worked on shoulders and arms today.

Standing BB Millies:

45x10/135x8/155x5/135x6

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

stack x8/stack x8 (done with speed)

SUPERSET with:

Single Arm DB Preachers:

45x8/35x8/35x8

SUPERSET with:

Skulls:

105x8/105x8

Rear Delt DB Raise:

30x8/30x8/30x6

SUPERSET with:

OH DB Extension:

80x8/80x8

Lateral DB Raise:

35x8/35x8

SUPERSET with:

DB Hammers:

45x6/45x6

That's it.

ElPietro
05-22-2003, 07:44 PM
1.5 hours of thai boxing. Pretty brutal.

ElPietro
05-25-2003, 11:11 AM
This is friday's leg workout, that I've negelected to post until now.

Deads:

135x5/225x3/315x4/405x1/505x1/405x3/405x2

Lying Hamstring Curls:

80x8/90x8

Single Leg extensions:

250x8 (dbl leg for warmup)/140x8/130x8

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise:

45x8/70x8

Hips:

2 sets of 8 on adductor.
2 sets of 8 on abductor.
2 sets of 8 leg raises, feet roughly getting to eye level.

Pull Down Abs on Lat Pulley:

95x8/105x8/105x8

Did about 5 minutes of stretching and that was it.

Weekend has been pretty poor diet wise. Mostly fast food and beer. Total cals MAY have been under control, not too sure though. Hopefully no damage done, definitely no progress to be made though.

Good news is that I believe I'll be able to get my camera next week, so I should have something to take pics with. :)

Had 3 pictures left on a 35mm, so took house pics with that. There was more progress again, and I was pleased to see it, so hopefully I can get those developed and maybe scanned in, or I'll take a macro pic of the pic when I get my new digicam. :D

Relentless
05-25-2003, 11:14 AM
nice deads, elp...

rookiebldr
05-25-2003, 11:04 PM
:nod: even on a cut, he's dl'ing 505.

Relentless
05-26-2003, 06:27 AM
:nod: even on a cut, he's dl'ing 505.

<-- is jealous (but is also leaner... so he'll deal with it for now...)

ElPietro
05-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Well today started off really sh!tty. Got up early to do some am cardio. Was extremely tired, and got stuck in f*cking traffic all f*cking morning. 3 f*cking lanes blocked, and it took 1.5 f*cking hours to get to work. So I got to the gym thinking I'm already late, might as well do a quick 20 minutes, but then there's one of the f*cking VPs of the company in the f*cking changeroom, so I just hit the showers since I didn't shower beforehand, and went to f*cking work.

Was busy at lunch, so went to the gym after work.

Did f*cking chest.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/225x3/255x5+1/225x5

*Major assist on the 6th rep. Coulda probably kept going on the last set, but didn't wanna bother taking the risk.

Dips:

BW-30x8/BW-20x7/BW-40x8

**BW-20 I don't think there is even an assist. The momentum of me going down, the thing keeps going, and doesn't catch back up to me until I'm almost at the top.

DB Flies:

45x8/45x8

Incline Machine Press:

200x8/200x5

Wanted to go do some work on the ellyptical, but the only not taken was out of service. Then thought I would go on the bike, but it was pretty busy there. Didn't feel like the treadmill, so decided to leave instead. :)

ElPietro
05-26-2003, 06:36 PM
Oh and thanks, but that 505 was the slowest I've ever done it. Was pretty ugly, dunno if I'll go higher next time. Unless I get more food in me, which I won't.

rookiebldr
05-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Well today started off really sh!tty. Got up early to do some am cardio. Was extremely tired, and got stuck in f*cking traffic all f*cking morning. 3 f*cking lanes blocked, and it took 1.5 f*cking hours to get to work. So I got to the gym thinking I'm already late, might as well do a quick 20 minutes, but then there's one of the f*cking VPs of the company in the f*cking changeroom, so I just hit the showers since I didn't shower beforehand, and went to f*cking work.

Wanted to go do some work on the ellyptical, but the only not taken was out of service. Then thought I would go on the bike, but it was pretty busy there. Didn't feel like the treadmill, so decided to leave instead. :)

Life just sucks!

heathj
05-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Well that just f*cking sucks big f*cking ass doesn't it. F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck

Damn 505..looking good, and 255 x 5 on bench, nice.

ElPietro
05-27-2003, 06:36 AM
Thanks.

Am cardio, 25 minutes on the ellyptical, followed by 5-10 minutes of stretching.

ElPietro
05-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Lats/Traps.

Angled Support Rows:

bar x8/45x8/80x8/80x6

HS High Rows:

180x5/240x8/240x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/180x5

*Only took a very short break, so wasn't really recovered for second set.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8/100x8/85x8

**First two sets with full pause, rest of the sets had incosistent pausing, and at a variety of different lengths of time.

That's it. As I was leaving, one of the guys did a double take, and thought I had been working out since 7:20 am when I first got there this morning. :D

Well that's enough workouts for today. I had planned on going to thai boxing, but I want to go pick up and play with my new digicam.

ElPietro
05-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Managed to make it to the gym this lunch break for shoulders/arms.

This week I've been 100% on for weight workouts, but very poor for the rest. Only one am cardio session so far, and no thai boxing. I was hoping for 3 or 4 am cardio sessions and 2 or 3 thai boxing to go along with my 4 weight training days. Now it looks like I will maybe have 2 am cardio sessions, one thai boxing session, and I probably won't do leg day until sunday, since I'll be working out with rook and cal. Unless they cancel, which will mean I adjusted my schedule for nothing, which will spur me on to find them and break their legs. Ok enough pleasant thoughts. :)

Energy levels felt kinda low, and strength levels seemed to agree with that.

Standing BB Millies:

bar x8/135x8/135x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

Stack x8/stack x8

SUPSERSET with:

Single Arm DB Preachers:

50x6(4+1 on left)/40x6/35x8

SUPERSET with:

SkullCrushers:

115x6/115x6

*Increased by 10lbs. Basically these are ez-curl bars with plates welded on to preset weights. I'm guessing the fools added in the bar weight, I didn't bother to add it up. Hand position is on the very inner part, hands about 4 inches apart. A tad hard on the elbow flexors though.

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x6 :mad:

Rear Delt Lateral Raise:

30x8/30x6 :mad:

SUPERSET with:

Overhead DB Extensions:

80x8/80x8

DB Hammer Curls:

45x8/40x8

I think that's all I did. I think I am starting to feel better about what I've accomplished so far on this cut. While diet hasn't been all that great, I have been much more conscious about cals and source of said cals. Generally, during the week is good eating for the most part, and weekend is relatively good, mixed in with the odd sh!tty fast food meal. I think I can attribute some of my better eating to the fact that now training on my lunch break means I'm not at the mall eating burritos.

Weight this morning on the digi scale I believe 237.8, and this scale measures approximately 4-5lbs heavier than the scale I began the measurements on. Also, I haven't done any thai boxing in a week, and with tons of carbs on the weekend, so that means I will probably drop 2 or 3 lbs of water after thai boxing and sleep. I'm guessing by the weekend to be around 236-ish on the digi scale, which would put me at rougly 231-232 on the original scale. I believe on that scale I was close to 255 when we first started, so I am going to guestimate that on this cut, I lost somewhere between 18-24 lbs. I wish I had been stricter, and I also suffered I believe 2 major relapses in diet, but it seems once they start coming off, you can put them on or take them off again really quick. I haven't taken new measurements, and probably will saturday afternoon. But for once looking in the mirror I am starting to feel a bit better about this, and thinking I haven't failed or wasted my time. Lifts haven't suffered too much, weight is less, but also not full out strength training either.

Honestly, I thought I'd look better at this weight, but I don't, so now that I know this, I guess I will target another 15-20lbs to come off, and then we'll see how things look at that point. But damn, that would make me a pretty puny lightweight, coming in at around 210-215 lbs. I weighed more than that in my final year of highschool!

Oh well, there is my diatribe for the day.

Relentless
05-29-2003, 11:46 AM
if you can get down to 210 or so and retain most of your muscle mass, you will look AMAZING

ElPietro
05-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Well, we'll see how it goes, not sure how easy it would be to get to that weight.

Tonights training consisted of 1.5 hours of thai boxing. I am debating what I am training for, if it's just for fitness, or to seriously consider competing. The problem is that in thai boxing, it's mostly little f*ckers that do this, so most tournaments, the heaviest competitors are in the 170s. I think from some small inquiries, there is only like one guy my size in the province of ontario at a competitive level that the guys I train with know of. And he's ripped to sh!t, has been training most of his life, and was breaking baseball bats with his shins during the last tournament. So obviously someone like me would just get murdered.

There aren't even many guys at my gym I could spar with. I sparred with one guy, that I thought was close to my weight, but I think he's only 190. We could never go hard, and even lightly, my jab was breaking through his guard. So I have to consider the fact, that thai boxing, is probably the best thing I could do for conditioning, but it's also the most brutally hard on my body, and will definitely have repercussions in later years if I continue, especially at my size. So I may consider going back to brazilian jiu jitsu, which is a different kind of cardio altogether. Maybe with that twice a week, and my regular lifting routine, and a day or two here and there of supplementary cardio, I can keep the fitness going in the right direction.

I mean, it's cool and all, to go to the muay thai gym, and beat on the other guys all smaller than me, and see them wince in pain every time they take a kick to the forearms with the pads on, but it's sorta wearing off now. My conditioning is pretty good, other than damned shoulders, keeping hands up when there is no threat of getting hit, doesn't really work for me, so I drop my hands a lot too.

I shall have to think further on this.

rookiebldr
05-29-2003, 08:28 PM
... and I probably won't do leg day until sunday, since I'll be working out with rook and cal. Unless they cancel, which will mean I adjusted my schedule for nothing, which will spur me on to find them and break their legs. Ok enough pleasant thoughts. :)

I probably won't be doing legs on Sunday, but I will do the deads with you two and any others that match. Btw, you mustn't break my legs since they are the bodyparts that are improving the most.

And this aught to be great, I was cut (well cut for me) the last time we met, now I'm a few fat pounds heavier, while you two are cut. It will be great to see how your cut went, but go easy on the rookie fat jokes. ;)

Relentless
05-30-2003, 06:25 AM
Well, we'll see how it goes, not sure how easy it would be to get to that weight.

well, two years ago, when I was 255, I never imagined I'd be sub-200 again

I have found that the whole process has been a series of plateaus and improvements, adapting and learning and changing as I discovered how I reacted to things

I was looking at my gym card the other day and realized that I've been a member at the same gym for almost 3 years now... when I started in there, I was just dong a bit of cardio and trying to lose some flab as well as getting back into lifting, which I had let slide for a couple years

- then I started experimenting with diet, beginning with that Blood Type diet a year and some ago, morphing through various phases before trying the keto thing this year

- I also started training differently, incorporating deads and other new ideas (for me) that I hadn't done before (mostly as a result of coming on this board)

- then I tried HST for a bit as well and enjoyed some success with that

The bottom line is that it has taken me almost 3 years to get where I am but the difference between now and even a year ago is shocking. I may be 30 now, but I'm definitely in the best shape I've been in since I was a teenager. I've been a bit leaner maybe but never in a healthy way... a 'starvation pack' isn't the same as a 'six pack', eh?

The point of all this is that I think you've made progress over the last year and particularly over the last few months and even if the cut didn't go exactly as planned, it was forward progress. I think the trick is not to stop now but rather to evolve and grow from this new plateau and move to the next level.

****, I'm starting to sound like Tony Robbins or something. But I think you see where I'm going.

Peace out,
Cal

ElPietro
05-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Yeah, well I'm in no rush I guess. Things are coming along, so if I can keep junk food eating to a relatively low total week to week, I should continue to progress. I think also, it's a big factor of discipline, and even if I know I couldn't do a keto diet now, I realize it's basically just stages. Right now I have been able to cut a lot of junk out of my diet. Next I may be able to become slightly more disciplined and improve moreso again. Eventually this will lead to enough discipline to diet on keto or whatever other method is best. So sometimes, you just can't go from poor eating habits to the best. Small steps are better than no steps, or better than one big leap, that you only stay on for a few weeks and then rebound hard.

I also misquoted my weight, it wasn't 237.8, it was 236.8, and then after thai boxing last night it was 235.4, and this morning 235.0. :)

ElPietro
05-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Ok, didn't train today, but did use the following powertools:

Compound Mitre Saw
Table Router
Sabre Saw
Drill (pilot bit, regular bit, countersink bit)

I also saw a couple cool demos, one on veneer pressing, using an actual press, and then a cool vacuum press; and also the use of a few sanding machines, one which was the same size as my car!

*grunts*

Actually, I'm surprised I didn't cut my arm off or something, I ended up bouncing last night, didn't end up getting home till 4:30am, and then had to get up at 8am to get ready for class. It's always a great mix, "no sleep" + "big powertools." I still don't know how I continue to posess all 10 digits this far into the course.

Oh, and although I have spent way too much money lately, I had to go purchase some new f*cking pants as this cut has caused them to just get cinched up, and have nice rippled bundles everywhere along the waist. Also, after 4 new holes in my belt, it was ready to start wrapping around my side for a second time. So was time for a new one of those too.

I bought size 36 pants! :eek: Yeah Biotch! Booyaka! :evillaugh :clap:

Well, ok, maybe that's still big for some of you, but still ok for a 235 lber. :)

At least I went really cheap, as I intended to go to a few stores, but Sears had a 40% off sale on dockers khakis. And I got a new belt too. :)

rookiebldr
05-31-2003, 10:03 PM

That is ****ing fantastic. Will I even recognize you tomorrow?

*grunt*

Relentless
06-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh, and although I have spent way too much money lately, I had to go purchase some new f*cking pants as this cut has caused them to just get cinched up, and have nice rippled bundles everywhere along the waist. Also, after 4 new holes in my belt, it was ready to start wrapping around my side for a second time. So was time for a new one of those too.

Well, ok, maybe that's still big for some of you, but still ok for a 235 lber. :)

At least I went really cheap, as I intended to go to a few stores, but Sears had a 40% off sale on dockers khakis. And I got a new belt too. :)

This is a good sign

if you need more, I dunno if they still have 'em, but I recently picked up a couple pairs of Tommy jeans at the Bay for cheap ($40 ea).

Bam Bam
06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
good job peitro

you can have my 36s i wont need them till next winter lol

ElPietro
06-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't need pants when I'm around yo mamma punk.

Well, did some leg stuff today. Met up with Callahan and intermediatebldr for a session at my esteemed training facility. Oh, I shant forget Cal's charming better half, who's name I have mentioned before on this site, but I shall refrain to protect her privacy.

Anyway, we worked out. We all deadlifted, cept I did legs sorta, after, and they did back.

I shall try to recall my workout, as I just got in now, from visiting the house, and then went to see matrix reloaded. Any weights or reps I can't recall I'll just make up as usual. :)

Conventional BB Deads:

135x6/225x5/315x3/405x1/505x1

*I normally would do another set of 405 after that, but apparently, it's "quiet time" sunday afternoons. :mad: 505 still didn't feel that easy, but I got a vid of it. Actually, I think two vids were taken, just downloading some of the ****e now, not sure how I'd host it, but whatever, I'll worry about that later.

45 Degree Leg Press:

8 plates x8/14 plates x8/14 plates x6

**Well, nothing felt f*cked up in my hip, so hopefully things are recovering. Haven't done squats or leg press since it felt pretty strained a month ago.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

70x8/100x6/100x6

Standing Calf Raise:

8 plates x10/8 plates x10/16 plates x8/20 plates x6/20 plates x5

***Bleh, 900 lbs felt bad for my spinal column. I *might* be able to fit another plate on that thing, but it would be partially hanging off. Oh well, that weight was tough, and I don't see a foreseeable need to increase it for a little while. I got some pretty red lines all over my shoulders from the pads though. I took a pic of it and will post for amusement when I get a chance.

Leg Raise:

set of 10/set of 8

****Second set was tough because I gave myself no rest between it and the first set of pulldown abs, listed below.

Pull Down Abs, on Lat pulley:

105x8/105x8

*****This burned.

Well, not sure if I did anything else. Made sure Cal did my angled support row machine, to alleviate my concern that I had girly lats. Rookie aka "JEFF", just in case you didn't know that was his real name, was a machine in there. Looks like he's catching up to Cal and I on the deads, and in weight. Not sure what they all did, since they went off and did back, or circle jerk, dunno which. :D

Anyway, I'll comment more when I have more energy I guess. As far as the competition between Cal and I, I believe there is some dispute on who feels who is the winner. Both of us I believe have had great success, but I think that I had a greater transformation, whilst Cal feels he has accomplished more. This was never a "who's leaner" comp, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, as he was always leaner and lighter. Unfortunately, I see no pics, and hope that he can get some up soon, so we can make before/after comparisons.

I will be a gracious loser, but it's hard to tell how much one has transformed without seeing some pics side by side. Anyway, I ramble. Congrats to all three of us, for either coming down in flab, or going up in muscle. :)

RG570
06-01-2003, 09:12 PM
jeff got promoted!

ElPietro
06-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes, as someone bigger than him, I felt qualified to promote him to intermediatebldr. Dan, change his name, effective immediately.

Oh and here are the cool red lines that the standing calf raise gave me. :)

Yes I realized the focus isn't great. So STFU. :mad:

RG570
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
wow, those look totally sweet/amazing.
but that focus is completley unnaceptable! you just got a new camera! you should be able to at least take a focused shot!

rookiebldr
06-01-2003, 10:51 PM
wooo, massive delts there Pete. ;)

p.s. thanks for the promotion. It was great getting the 340 on deads today. BTW, Scott and I did our curl-jockey routine while you were didling with the calf raises.

Relentless
06-02-2003, 04:52 AM
for the record, Pete... my wife says you shouldn't use that supported-row machine

the angle is such that it puts undue strain on your low back

I noticed a decent-looking t-bar row machine next to it... this might be a better choice for rowing!

---

I took pix last night and I'm getting them developed today; I'll scan 'em and post 'em tonight, I guess. I made an effort to strike the same poses as the pics I already have. WHoever's working the photo booth will probably get a good laugh but ah whatever. I will get a digicam eventually.

I was surprised at how much leaner you did look; as I said your abs are starting to show their existence under your midsection, which is very good...

---

Jeff -- lemme know how the curl jockey pix turn out; feel free to post the ones of me in my journal. From where I stood, the ol' biceps looked pretty damned good in the mirror but I'm biased. ;)

rookiebldr
06-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Jeff -- lemme know how the curl jockey pix turn out; feel free to post the ones of me in my journal. From where I stood, the ol' biceps looked pretty damned good in the mirror but I'm biased. ;)

Generally I like to send you the pictures ahead of time for approval, however, since you trust my judgement....... Take a look! And were you talking about how good my biceps looked or yours! ;)

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Today was chest day. Felt a bit drained from deads and leg day yesterday. It's been a while for me to train legs, and my lower back, hammies, and quads were feeling pretty bad today. Especially when stretched out a bit under the bar on bench.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/265x3/225x6

*Bleh, well the 3 reps were 100% me, not that I'm proud of that. The 225 I coulda probably squeezed out another few reps, but without a spotter didn't feel like rolling it down the rib cage if I failed. Last time I did that it sucked, and I have less cushion now.

Dips:

BW -40 x8/BW -20 x8

**-20 lbs might as well be no assistance, it doesn't stay with me after the bottom of the lift, and doesn't catch back up till almost the top. Maybe I'll try a couple sets on the dip station, instead of the gravitron thing. Time to lose my training wheels I guess. :)

DB Flyes:

45x8/45x6

Incline Machine Press:

200x8/180x8/170x7

Well, that's it for lifting. I did all this pretty quick, so still had time to jump on the ellyptical, so I did 15 minutes there, and worked up a decent sweat. That's it for now.

the doc
06-02-2003, 12:56 PM
:eek:
CARDIO???

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Yes *CARDIO*! Got a problem with that!? :mad:

Oh wait, I think you outweigh me now, I need to realize that I'm not as big of some of you mofos now. :hide:

I think Jeff only did a modest PR on deadlifts to make scott and I feel better about ourselves, as he did it pretty damned effortlessly. I downloaded the deadlift videos but didn't watch Jeff's yet. One problem, can videos be rotated as pics can? My camera takes videos in quicktime format. But the camera was rotated so it could take in the entire lifter, as opposed to having to zoom way out to get the whole picture in.

heathj
06-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Damn you be brave going for 265 x 3 without a spotter! Nice work foo :thumbup:

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Nah, I had someone behind me for 265. Just not the 225. I have done warmup singles with 275 and no spotter in the past though, but in my current state, there's no way I'd do that. :eek:

Relentless
06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Nah, I had someone behind me for 265. Just not the 225. I have done warmup singles with 275 and no spotter in the past though, but in my current state, there's no way I'd do that. :eek:

well, THAT and plus the safety catches on the Smith machine help protect you during benching... :evillaugh:

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
*snicker*

Now if I could only find a way to do kickbacks on the smith, my training would be complete. :)

Someone should invent a DB smith machine. If we have the arm blaster, the ab rocker, and belts that shoot a zillion joules through your gut, why not a f*cking DB smith machine! :soapbox:

Franco
06-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Why don't you invent one and then place an Elpietro stamp of approval....along with a patent on it?

Relentless
06-02-2003, 02:37 PM
actually...

1) take a smith machine
2) you know how the 'rails' it slides on are so far apart? put them side by each and make them separated/free-moving
3) tack on a couple of extensible u-joints onto each one and
4) devise a number of 'grips' and 'handles'
and
BOOM! you've got a machine that can replicate curls, kickbacks, etc, etc.

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 02:38 PM
That would require work frankie, how about you do it, and I collect a 20% fee for idea conception. Think you could have 80% and you didn't even have to think anything up!

I will expect the cheques to start coming in any time now.

*holds breath*

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Wow, you guys could team up, and get 40% each.

Relentless
06-02-2003, 02:45 PM
holding your breath may be a bit optimistic, big P

WillKuenzel
06-02-2003, 02:46 PM

Dips:

BW -40 x8/BW -20 x8

**-20 lbs might as well be no assistance, it doesn't stay with me after the bottom of the lift, and doesn't catch back up till almost the top. Maybe I'll try a couple sets on the dip station, instead of the gravitron thing. Time to lose my training wheels I guess. :)

If you are doing eight like that then surely you can get a couple on your own. Especially now that you are a few pounds lighter. :)

rookiebldr
06-02-2003, 08:40 PM
I think Jeff only did a modest PR on deadlifts to make scott and I feel better about ourselves, as he did it pretty damned effortlessly. I downloaded the deadlift videos but didn't watch Jeff's yet. One problem, can videos be rotated as pics can? My camera takes videos in quicktime format. But the camera was rotated so it could take in the entire lifter, as opposed to having to zoom way out to get the whole picture in.

Thanks Pete, but it wasn't you I being modest for since you lift 505. However, Scott is quite a bit bigger then I and... ;) That 340 I did felt pretty sweet and there was definitely some left in the tank so I was pretty happy.

I downloaded your video that I took and it looks great except I need to cut off about 15 secs of it since I forgot to turn it off. It's 11megs and if I can find a way to slice it up I can likely cut it in half.

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield

If you are doing eight like that then surely you can get a couple on your own. Especially now that you are a few pounds lighter. :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could get 5 or 6 off. I will probably start doing that for now.

Jeff, that 340 was too damned light. I told you to put more on the damned bar. I guess your definition of "more" is somewhat different from mine. Just remember, next time you dead, I want you to warm up and then try 360 out the gate. When you get to the "I can't lift it anymore or my spine will rip out," part of the lift, just pull harder, you will own it. And possibly Cal if you keep bulking and he keeps cutting. :p

Anyway, here are some progress pics. ;)

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Yeah baby!

ElPietro
06-02-2003, 08:58 PM
And *yes!* This is me taking a picture, from the motherf*cking second floor biatch! :clap: :D

Aren't the 2x4s beautiful. :)

rookiebldr
06-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Looking pretty sweet, Pete. The house is moving along very well.

Thanks for the encouraging words. 360 it is then.

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Well, since last lat workout, I had a pain that would flare up, anytime I pulled my lats together. It was just a small spot, in the middle of my back, just to the right of the spine. The annoying pain went away on sunday though, so I thought I was rid of it. This morning, I woke up, and depending on how I moved my arm around, I'd feel that very same muscle, seem to pop in and out of wherever it's supposed to be. Didn't hurt or anything just felt really weird, and it was hard to continuously duplicate the motion. So I was standing there for a while flapping my arm around like a retard trying to figure it out, but just decided to forget about it.

Having said all that, today was lat/traps day. :)

HS High Rows:

90x15-20/180x10/250x8/230x7

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x7/170x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

*Ok, I hadn't felt anything all workout from the troublesome spot in my back, but I *did* notice that for the first time ever, I was actually struggling with the right arm, while it felt much easier with the left. This would lead me to believe that there is some minor strain that is sapping some strength.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/90x8/90x8

**First set was done with super long pauses, the rest varied, but mainly just regular shrugs. Grip was fried.

That was it.

After my shower, and by the time I got downstairs, I started and continue to feel that spot tightening up a little bit, like a bit of a knot. Bleh.

carolinagirl
06-04-2003, 05:30 PM
LOL.

I thought they were gonna be more progress pics of you.

House looks good, though. And did I mention yet that you look good too? You made a hell of a noticeable change, and you didn't have to obsess very much at all about it (at least the diet part) from the sound of things. Nice job.

(I think you should change your "Count Flaberiffic" now, by the way. It isn't accurate.)

ElPietro
06-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Hey thanks Heath. *blush* :D Yeah, I pretty much considered the dieting somewhat a failure, but actually working out at lunch basically meant I couldn't go out to the mall or restaurants for lunch, so it was some form of dietary control. ;) So weekdays were pretty good, weekends were sloppy.

I just hope I can keep it up. It'll be hard to guage weight if I start supping creatine again, since it usually used to add 4 or 5 lbs to me, but I'll just use it for a month or so, and cut it out again. Want to measure progress in 2 or 3 month chunks.

Unfortunately, I am fighting off some kinda sickness that seems to want to strike but hasn't quite. So no training yesterday or today. I actually ate dinner and went to bed and didn't get up until this morning for work.

The house IS exciting though. I think 50% of my office are just tired of listening to me talk about it now, 25% are faking interest in it to humour me when I bring around new pics, and then those that are recent new home owners actually have some enthusiasm that they catch from me, having just been through it.

It's my first house, and it just seems so monumental that I don't know how to downplay it much. :)

ElPietro
06-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Oh, and Tryska said I should change my title to that, so I did.

Relentless
06-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by carolinagirl

Oh, hush. Not all girls like them pretty. I like 'em big and rough-looking, myself. ;)

Hm.

*waits to see what cg thinks of us big and rough looking lads NOW*

Coke
06-06-2003, 05:44 AM
You are big and strong - not flabby at all (so change the title). :)
Keep up the progress.

I think it is fantastic to be doing what you are, and that is with everything including the house :thumbup:

ElPietro
06-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey Cocoa, thanks man, appreciate it. The house IS pretty exciting. I'll change the title later, although there is still significant flab present, in my opinion. But I'm working on it...kinda. :)

Anyway, today was leg day, didn't feel like doing anything special.

45 Degree Leg Press:

8 plates x10/12 plates x8/14 plates x8/16 plates x6/14 plates x8/14 plates x8/12 plates x8 (fast)

*Upped the volume since no deads or squats beforehand. I am kinda dumb, which goes without saying, but the first set was probably too much to start on since I wasn't sure how my hip would respond, and it felt hurt right away. I realize that I go down too deep on leg press, which first of all makes the weight a lot more difficult to press, and also is very hard on the hips and lower back. So I shortened the ROM somewhat, and the pain was minimalized.

Standing Calf Raise:

8 plates x8/12 plates x8/16 plates x8/20 plates x6/16 plates x8/14 plates x8

**Man 20 plates makes me nervous at times, as it feels like my spine is starting to bow inward and snap if I don't keep perfectly vertical. After my set, some guy came over and stared at the weights and his eyes glossed over. I know he was trying to add it up. But he gave up and just said, "that's a sh!tload of weight, what is that a thousand pounds?" I said 900, but I guess with the harness and stuff it probably comes close. *shrug* Still those 6 reps were slow, but ugly.

Leg Extensions:

250x10 (fast)/140x8 (single leg)/140x8 (single leg)/130x8 (single leg)

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x12 (really fast)/80x8(fast)/100x6 (:rolleyes:)

Went over and did a set of 12 on the hip adductor, but I could tell that my hip was now officially aggravated, so decided to cancel hip exercises.

Pull Down Abs, on Lat Pulley:

105x8/105x8/115x8

***Burning occured.

DB Sidebends:

85x8/85x8

That's it. Unfortunately, now if I cough, my hip hurts, so obviously it's gone from what I thought to be close to 100%, back to sore. Stupid hip.

ElPietro
06-06-2003, 06:16 PM

Hm.

*waits to see what cg thinks of us big and rough looking lads NOW*

LOL! No response from her to this Scott, I guess we don't measure up. :D

Err, I mean :cry:.

Relentless
06-06-2003, 06:17 PM
yeah, there was a total lack of feminine appreciation on the pix threads too

**** man, I thought getting fit was supposed to mean women would jsut start THROWING themselves at me

rookiebldr
06-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Some of us are just meant to lose out. :cry:

ElPietro
06-07-2003, 08:06 PM
STFU, you guys are married so it doesn't really matter anyway. I don't know why you guys workout. Might as well let it all slide now.

Speaking of domestic matters...

carolinagirl
06-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Oh, quit yer bitchin', you two.

Y'all both look hot. (Big and rough.....mmmmm.) You both made a really noticeable change. And you're both still hairy. ;)

I didn't vote in the pics thread because I thought it really was too close to call. That's an option now, I gather.....perhaps I will go and cast my vote accordingly.

(Seriously....I was VERY impressed. You guys kicked ass. Now, go take each other out to dinner and buy each other a beer with that $100, because you both won.)

Oh, and by the wayl......:hump: :hump:
(That's one for each of you. :D)

IceRgrrl
06-09-2003, 05:34 AM
yeah, there was a total lack of feminine appreciation on the pix threads too

...maybe because some of us are shy and decided that PM was the best way to convey our messages?... :angel: :p

ElPietro
06-09-2003, 07:19 AM

Oh wow! This I think is the first Mr. Hump directed at me, I am honoured. :)

And IceR, I already told you, I am not comfortable with fully revealing pictures yet, so stop harrassing me for them in PMs! :p

Oh and :hump: :hump:

(one for each of you lovelies)

On a sad note, weekend diet was pretty lousy, I think I need to find some new motivation for keeping up with the weight loss, I guess I will just set a new goal and work towards it, and see how things go. The last thing I want to do is regress. Although, I also didn't get any cardio in last week, so that obviously wouldn't help. Hopefully the hip will be good this week for thai boxing. I will find out tomorrow. I'll have my regular chest workout this aft.

Relentless
06-09-2003, 07:27 AM

Ah, sweet validation!

:cool: :cool:

Relentless
06-09-2003, 07:30 AM
On a sad note, weekend diet was pretty lousy, I think I need to find some new motivation for keeping up with the weight loss, I guess I will just set a new goal and work towards it, and see how things go. The last thing I want to do is regress. Although, I also didn't get any cardio in last week, so that obviously wouldn't help. Hopefully the hip will be good this week for thai boxing. I will find out tomorrow. I'll have my regular chest workout this aft.

For myself, I've just decided that I'm not yet as lean as I want to be and I'm keeping up the cut. Hit 195 yesterday, which is a good sign. :D I would encourage you to try keto, dude . . . the food you get to eat on it is basically kickass anyway, and the results are undeniable. The carb cravings go away after the first week or so and then you don't even WANT them.

I betcha you could get down to 215 by the end of the summer EASY on a keto cut.

ElPietro
06-09-2003, 11:29 AM
We'll see, I'm gonna just keep doing what I'm doing, until it stalls and then re-evaluate. I always feel sh!tty monday after a weekend of poor dieting, but then during the week I make up for it, and in the end the result is a net loss in weight, so hopefully I can continue this way. Then I will focus more on my weekend diet, and I can just keep it up. I don't take in THAT many carbs during the week anyway, so I guess you can look at it as a 2-3 day carb up each week. :D Friday is leg day, so I don't mind excess cals and carbs on the day of and day after leg day to help aid in recovery. But I will look into things more in the future, right now I'm too busy to bother trying new stuff.

Today's workout: Chest.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/225x3/275x2*+1/225x6

*Bah, ok, I guess I need to realize I can't lift like I used to. The first rep of 275 was without spotter touching the bar, but still rather slow, the second one, I think he helped a tad, and the third one, I know he helped a lot, so we'll just call that a forced/assist rep, and the 2nd one was also with some assist. Didn't have a spotter for the last set so stopped at 6. Felt weak today anyway for some reason.

Dips:

BW x6/BW x6/BW x5

**Haha! I graduated from my training wheels (aka the gravitron) and moved on to the dip/leg raise station. The first set was kinda funny as I was retardedly swinging around like a pendulum. I coulda kept going but I was really swinging so I had to stop. Second set was more controlled and I remained relatively vertical, and leaned in a bit more forward, which helped a bit. Started getting tougher on the third set, and I didn't push myself to try for a 6th rep. *pats self on back*

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/45x8

Incline Machine Press:

200x7/180x6/160x6

***Short breaks in between, just to add more volume.

Did very minor stretching of the hip, nothing feels aggravated today. It was really bad friday and saturday, I could barely put my leg up without pain searing through it, but I guess I shall just have to take it easy on it, and will put it through the motions tomorrow at thai boxing.

I feel like I should add more volume to my chest routine, and will reflect on what to add in the future.

Relentless
06-09-2003, 11:32 AM
hm

if you avoided carbs while being 'clean' during the week, you'd almost be on a kind of half-assed CKD with that pattern. :D

ElPietro
06-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Oh, I'll probably start using fitday more often again, which will keep me more focused diet wise. I think on my cut I was only getting in roughly 2,000 to 2,500 cals daily, I will probably keep it around this, but make sure protein is being looked after, as I am usually well under if I don't keep a close eye on things.

ElPietro
06-09-2003, 11:36 AM
hm

if you avoided carbs while being 'clean' during the week, you'd almost be on a kind of half-assed CKD with that pattern. :D

Yeah, this was sorta my original plan, but then I started to add more carbs without issues, as I found that training in the gym at lunch, and then thai boxing for 1.5 hours, would be better off with some carbs in me. Still not a huge amount, I am probably always under 100g for the day during the week, unless I eat something out of sorts.

My protein bars have 29g, but I think only 3 or 4g of sugar. Those I eat generally when I get in anyway, so those carbs surely get used up during my workout. I think I'll only add in carb powder to my post workout shake on thai boxing days, to aid in replenishment, so I can just use them up later anyway.

heathj
06-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Good job on graduation. Loser.

About time you did some real dips! Next step, weighted. I'd say start doing some light weighted dips when your bw dip gets to about 15 or so. Then just throw on like a 10 or 25, whatever your comfortable with, and see how it feels.

ElPietro
06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Well, I don't plan on lifting in the 15 rep range so, basically, when I can do something like 10,8,6 I will probably add a quarter or something like that, and hopefully get 6-8/4-6/then go to bodyweight for final set.

I'll probably just use bodyweight for one or two more sessions and then look for a weight belt. There must be one lurking somewhere in the gym.

heathj
06-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Yeah it always takes me a while to find a focking dip belt. It's always hidden away cause none of the losers are cool enough to use it.

ElPietro
06-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, today was lat day. I was debating skipping this, to let that stupid little muscle in the middle of my back heal up a bit. But I am trying to stay in routine, and I will probably skip lifting on thursday, so I am relatively fresh friday to train with Cal and Harnek.

So, lat/traps day:

Did a quick cg lat pulldown warmup set until some retard got of the high row machine.

HS High Rows:

90x8/180x8/250x8/230x8/180x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/180x8/170x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6

*Was a bit dubious about doing these, as I thought they had been part of the problem, but they didn't feel too bad, only did 6 reps, but shortened the rest.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8

**Ok, I think these are what are causing the problem, either that or the rows and these just brought the pain out more. Couple reps felt like hot daggers sticking into that spot. But it only lasted a second. So seems like that annoying spot is still there, but not really causing too much of a problem. Maybe I'll just train through it.

carolinagirl
06-10-2003, 11:44 AM
...Did a quick cg lat pulldown warmup set....

You did lat pulldowns with me ?

I can't believe I didn't even notice you manhandling me like that. :scratch:

ElPietro
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
LoL! I warmed up with the 100lb cg version, but you sure put on a lot of weight fast for my work sets! I've never seen anyone bulk 90lbs in 10 minutes before. :eek: ;) :D :p

On a domestic note, I am a very happy person right now. The banks seem to be warring against each other, and are going nuts with interest rates. I just got my rate adjusted 1% lower than previous. This is huge! It works out to over $100 less a month I will have to pay on the mortgage, which means more burritos for this guy! :evillaugh

Relentless
06-10-2003, 02:34 PM
odds are that pain won't go away if you keep training

- see your chiro
- take an epsom salts bath
- rest, dammit!

rookiebldr
06-10-2003, 04:09 PM
But I am trying to stay in routine, and I will probably skip lifting on thursday, so I am relatively fresh friday to train with Cal and Harnek.

And the rookie!

RG570
06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
which means more burritos for this guy! :evillaugh yo, send some burritos this way !

ElPietro
06-11-2003, 07:12 AM
odds are that pain won't go away if you keep training

- see your chiro
- take an epsom salts bath
- rest, dammit!

Bah!

Actually, I found my new chiropractor last night. I was just browsing some books when I come out and see my buddy sitting in one of those shiatsu massage chairs they have sitting in the middle of malls around here. He throws a buck in the coin slot for the seat beside him and tells me to try it. Man that shiat was sweet. Best massage I've had since I can remember. Best 2 minutes ever. If those chairs didn't cost $4,000... *dreams*

Skipped thai boxing last night, but went to watch the matrix again, so maybe watching all that kungfu had a subconcious training affect on me in some way.

carolinagirl
06-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Do you realize how much epsom salts you're supposed to put in the tub with you????? The directions say to dissolve 2 cups for every gallon of water! I don't even know how many gallons my tub holds, but I have a feeling it's a lot. Like 20, or something.

That would be some salty water.

(And that was funny how you said 'shiat' for the shiatsu chair, btw.)

ElPietro
06-11-2003, 09:26 AM

And the rookie!

Cool, so maybe with form tweaks you will put Cal in his place! :p

I would like to finally get some opinions on squats, and maybe get shown proper box squats and height of box etc. Also, maybe bench technique for power lifting, and I guess also see what constitutes a good deadlift and also sumo deadlift. I wish to start sumo-ing now, but not sure how my stance and coordination is for it. And last but most important, i've been meaning to check out that gym for a while. Someone told me they only had one power rack once, but I don't think he understood what it was. He said nobody used it. Maybe if I asked how many curling stations they had he'd have given me a better answer. :D From the pic on their website it looks like they have a good collection of heavy dbs. This is what I'm primarily looking for. I'd love to be able to flat db bench, and db row without setting up the ezcurl bar. I was even at the max incline db pressing when I quit so for presses and rows i've pretty much outgrown my gym.

(And that was funny how you said 'shiat' for the shiatsu chair, btw.)

:cool:

rookiebldr
06-11-2003, 09:45 AM

Cool, so maybe with form tweaks you will put Cal in his place! :p

I can try, however since Cal will get his form tweaked too, we might just end up being even. ;)

I would like to finally get some opinions on squats, and maybe get shown proper box squats and height of box etc. Also, maybe bench technique for power lifting, and I guess also see what constitutes a good deadlift and also sumo deadlift. I wish to start sumo-ing now, but not sure how my stance and coordination is for it. And last but most important, i've been meaning to check out that gym for a while. Someone told me they only had one power rack once, but I don't think he understood what it was. He said nobody used it. Maybe if I asked how many curling stations they had he'd have given me a better answer. :D From the pic on their website it looks like they have a good collection of heavy dbs. This is what I'm primarily looking for. I'd love to be able to flat db bench, and db row without setting up the ezcurl bar. I was even at the max incline db pressing when I quit so for presses and rows i've pretty much outgrown my gym.

I'm looking for the same help it seems, plus my bench could use work - massive amounts of work. Don't go monoplizing all this guys time so that the little guy doesn't get a chance, otherwise I'll have to push you too aside with a 45.

I'm always game to check out new gyms. If I see one, it's usually all I can do to keep myself from going in and trying it.

GhettoSmurf
06-11-2003, 10:25 AM

I would like to finally get some opinions on squats, and maybe get shown proper box squats and height of box etc. Also, maybe bench technique for power lifting, and I guess also see what constitutes a good deadlift and also sumo deadlift. I wish to start sumo-ing now, but not sure how my stance and coordination is for it.

Sorry cant help with the bench technique :(

But for a box squat, usually the height of the box is determined where the lifter's butt is when his/her legs are @ or a bit below parallel with the ground.

here's a video of a box squat: http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/images/boxsquat.mpg.mpg

Although in the vid it looks like he literally sits on the box and pauses for a second. I've heard that you should just use the box as a guide to where parallel is, and not "rest" on it.

here's a video of a sumo-deadlift if it helps @ all: http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/images/sumodead.mpg

lemme know if that helps @ all :)

ElPietro
06-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Cool man, thanks for posting the vids. They help in concept, but I guess it's impossible to know exactly what *you* are doing, as looking face on in the mirror isn't the best perspective. So I am very happy to actually go do some reps under the watchful eye of someone who would be able to coach me to better form. Or if form is good probably still offer some tips and tweaks to what I currently do.

I feel relatively comfortable with everything I do, box squats I've never tried though, but if they have stuff setup there it would be great to try. I think half my gym already thinks of me as nuts for doing heavy deadlift singles so going to a gym where there are a few powerlifters would be sweet.

ElPietro
06-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Training: 6:20am tee off time. 9 holes executive course. First time I picked up a club at all this year. I played like ****e for the most part. Few really good shots. I think it's a pinched nerve in my back. It would feel tight on the backswing, and then after would hurt for a second, and then I'd feel it slip/pop back to wherever it was. After a while I barely noticed it.

Probably will just do some cardio today, either at lunch or after work.

ElPietro
06-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Well tonight I met up with Rookie and Callahan to train at Monster Gym by my place with powerlifting notable Harnek Rai. It was pretty good, mainly just focused on form with squats and a bit on deadlifts. Didn't go heavy at all on squats, and failed a 505 attempt on deads. The bar was as smooth as a baby's bottom though, so I couldn't keep a grip. I've never failed that weight before so I don't expect it to be an issue.

Harnek I believe is starting to train himself more again for competitions in the future, and also afterwards implied that he wouldn't mind having me for a training partner, to help push him along. Also, he sorta implied he could use some help with working on a july meet, just stuff like moving weights and stuff. So I said I'd help with that, and will probably also become is training partner as well. I guess that means that I'd have to actually start powerlifting though. :D He asked when my membership expired at my current gym and then basically bugged the guy at the front to give me an extra month free just to act as a bridge between memberships. So I may join Monster and still retain my other membership for a couple more months.

We'll see anyway. I'm training with him monday and probably wednesday as well, and then I'll decide what to do, whether commit to a year, or just get a month membership or something.

The gym has good points and bad points. Many bars don't have any knurling left on them. But an ultra good point is that they have tons of DBs and they go all the way to 200lbs. So I am leaning towards joining, and training with Harnek, and probably helping him out at some meets, and maybe one day compete or not. He's currently the VP of the Ontario Powerlifting Association, and has trained for a very long time (he's 46 now), so should be a good wealth of knowledge. :)

rookiebldr
06-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Hey Pete, it was great to get a chance to get out, train and pick up some form pointers - I certainly needed those. That bar was terrible which seem to be the only bad aspect to the gym, otherwise it is very hardcore.

That's really cool if you get a chance to train with him. I must of missed most of that as I was too busy trying to get some leg extensions in. I think it would be great for you, he'd really be able to help you increase those poundages. I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

ElPietro
06-15-2003, 07:20 PM
All of that was after you guys left. We chatted for probably another 20 minutes or so.

carolinagirl
06-15-2003, 07:31 PM
That's awesome, elP! I think you should definitely join up and train with him - that's exciting. I'd be flattered as hell.

Deadlifts for all!

ElPietro
06-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah I'll give it a go. I'll just get a month membership for now and see what happens. If it's not so good, I'm not committed.

Oh and here is a new picture. Note the increased size in the upper body. :)

ElPietro
06-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Trained with Harnek earlier this evening. It was basically squat/bench day. So squat was more explosive or pause lifting and bench was supposed to be heavy.

I didn't keep track of squats, but did probably between 7-9 sets but basically other than a couple warmup sets, always used 2 plates. Worked on some slower pause sets below parallel, and some horrid attempts at explosive reps. Most sets were between 2-4 reps. Most were 2 or 3 though. Some form adjustments, but there is a long way to go.

Moved on to bench.

Did a set of 8 of 135 using my normal bench form. Then got a lot of tips on how to lift it as a powerlifter would. This was difficult at first, but I slowly think got better. Apparently it's illegal to not have your thumb around the bar, so I can't use my open grip. Harnek said this rule got passed by the IPF a few years ago, and it took more than 30lbs off his max bench. I did maybe another 2 or 3 sets at 135, just working on form and such. Then went up to 225 for some triples, maybe 2 sets of 3 or 4. Then did 1.5 with 275lbs, and then did another single at 275 after that. I may have done another single at 275 but can't remember. It became easier as I learned to push with my feet, and focus on momentum at the bottom. I think this is key for me to learn. After that, I did 225 for 8, pretty clean other than the last rep which was slightly ugly, but still quick as I just kept focusing on powering them up.

One think Harnek said that made me laugh, was that I am not lifting near what I should be. He said, "it's not that you have bad form, it's that you have no form at all." I started laughing and nodding my head, and was happy to hear this. I consider myself at a decent level considering nobody has shown me anything before, and I've basically learned on my own since day one. But now the opportunity to train under an elite level lifter, and slowly get my form closer to competition standards, makes me think that it could be fun. At his suggestion, I'll start bringing my digicam and recording each set of squats, so I can go over the form corrections that I need to make.

Due to shoulder issues, and having to meet his sister, he didn't do any assistance excercises, so I was on my own at that point.

So I did:

Flat DB Flies:

45x8/45x8

Dips:

BW x8/BW x7

*Was pretty happy with this. Considering I had already done all my chest work, I got those reps very solid, well below parallel on the arm angle as well. I noted that a dip belt was lying there next to the station, so that will be convenient when I start adding weight.

Wednesday is deadlift day. And then friday is bench squat day again, only explosive bench, and heavy squats.

This may just workout afterall. :)

I may do a quick feeder workout at my gym at work, and then some cardio bunny stuff. Then hopefully my lazy ass will go to thai boxing that night.

Who knows, I may just become a powerlifter yet. Wasn't my goal, but I think I can stick with my other plans, and keep this training split up as well.

Once my form is a bit better, I'll probably start doing more work sets instead of just form sets, so for a while, these entries will not be in the standard PietroVision Format.

IceRgrrl
06-17-2003, 06:43 AM
That sounds like an awesome opportunity you have there :) Working with someone experienced and knowledgeable who can critique and aid your form is going to make a BIG difference...I think you're going to enjoy this! And who knows? Maybe you will get sucked into powerlifting...

ElPietro
06-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Yeah, you never know. I figure I'd need at least a 1400lb total to not be embarrassed in my weight class. I figure I can get down to the 100 kg class probably, and guessing that my lifts will go up with form help, and if I ever lifted in a meet possibly equipment. But I'm not too worried about that. At this stage, I am just concerned with learning all the form, and progressing from there. So we'll see how things go. Even with my current retard form, if I used my maxes from the not too distant past I am approaching 1300lbs, so I guess it's not unreasonable to think I can get to 1400 or 1500.

ElPietro
06-17-2003, 07:04 PM
1.5 hours of muay thai. Haven't been in at least 3 weeks. So I expect to be very sore tomorrow. Didn't get paired up, so my partner was the bananna bag. It is much heavier, and I get to do twice as much work as the rest of the class. Cardio was still pretty good. And it's amazing what a good mood I am in after hitting things for an hour and a half. It's like the sun is a bit brighter, the air a bit cleaner, I'm singing to whatever cd plays in my car. Smashing things has to be the best therapy in the world. :)

ElPietro
06-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Trained with Harnek. Today was deadlift day. I didn't keep track of everything, but here's how it basically went.

Deadlifts:

135x6/135x6/225x6/225x6/315x5/405x3/495x1/495x1/405x3/385x2

*Some of the reps may be off on the lower weights. The first five plates I did pretty slow, and Harnek and another guy he introduced me to that had competed a few times said I hitched. After chatting for a few minutes, I did another 5 plate attempt, but did it smoothly from start to finish. The other guy was pretty impressed, and thinks that I'll be pretty strong if i start doing sumos. A few of the warmup sets were sumo. I'll start doing them heavier slowly. Feels a bit odd at the bottom, elbows getting in the way and all, especially with Harnek trying to show me how to set my shoulders at the beginning, instead of fighting with them at lockout. Oh well, I was happy.

BB Shrugs:

365x8/405x6

**Bah, at this point my fooking grip was screaming. And I was getting rather sick of that power rack and bar. :p I'll probably do shrugs on a day that isn't deadlift day, since all that volume really killed my hands.

DB Rows:

95x6/140x6

***Bleh, was going to do a set of 115s but Harnek put the dbs back and I was too lazy to unrack. My hands basically were no longer responding at this point as well. I think that lat assistance stuff will not be on deadlift day either.

Medium Grip Lat Pulldowns:

Did 2 or 3 sets of some light weight. I think it was like 140, then 160, then don't remember but probably less than 160. All for 8 reps. My fingers were spazzing at this point.

Seated Cable Rows:

2 sets of 8-10. Don't know what weight it was, whatever Harnek used. It wasn't much, I was basically carrying on a conversation during both sets.

That's about it. I'll be helping Harnek run a meet on July 6th. I'll probably just be a grunt that moves plates around, but it'll be cool to meet some competitors and see what everything is like up close. He'll be getting me some knee wraps from a guy there, so I'll soon be able to use those. He recommended those, as it apparently is painful to learn to use at heavier weights, so may as well learn them now on heavy days.

Friday is heavy squat/explosive bench day. I need to develop a logical plan for assistance exercises. Was also pretty damned sore in the hips from thai boxing last night. I'll be going tomorrow night, and also have to tee off at 6:07am for golf tomorrow morning! :eek:

ElPietro
06-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Training: Golf; 6:07am tee off. I would consider the number of reps to be..."high volume." :(

Coke
06-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Good work man! I think your back/trap workout rocked - keep it up:thumbup:

ElPietro
06-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks, CoCoa, unfortunately today things simply sucked ass.

Missed friday's heavy squat/dynamic bench day. Went to a cottage for the weekend. Went through much tequila and Bavaria. Weather was ace, barbecuing was ace. F*cking mosquitos were not ace. :mad:

Well here's today's bloody workout. I may miss some sets on squat since there are so many.

Squats:

135x6

135x6

225x4

225x3 Speed Set

225x3 Speed Set

275x2 Speed Set

275x1 Ass to the floor pause set. 3-4 seconds, Harnek counting not me, so no cheating on the time. Didn't mean to go as low as I did, and coming up was a b!tch. I planned on doing 2 reps at 4 seconds, but I went so low, and felt pretty strained, alarm bells started going off in my head at 3 seconds.

225x2 Full 4 second pause on each rep to parallel.

135x4-6? Just experimented with some wide stances, and then did an ass to the floor 5 second pause to give a final stretch.

May have missed an explosive set on 225 somewhere in there, but whatever.

Flat BB Bench Press: :mad:

135x8

135x8

225x3

265x1

300xmiss :mad: Ok, I haven't gone heavy in a very long time, and still learning form, and form here was pretty sh!tty. Also, wrapping my thumb around makes me feel weaker, but whatever.

285xmiss :mad: :swear: F*cking bloody hell! Ok this should be a f*cking piece of cake. Harnek basically tipped me off that the plane I am dropping the weight down to is horribly high. Practically at the collar bone, then pressing up over the face, so no arms at all. I was mega pissed, since this shouldn't be much challenge with regular form. I guess I need to get the proper lifting groove set in, which I'm sure will take some time.

225 Did 3-5 reps with Harnek guiding the bar around to show me what he felt was an ideal plane/groove for the bar to travel.

135 Did a ton more with the new plane, sorta making adjustments and stuff. Easier with 225 since I can basically not pay attention to the bar, and converse and make adjustments, etc.

I have decided that on a normal day, I will finish off my chest and do lats as well for assistance exercises on this day. I will do shoudlers and arms after deadlifts, and I will do legs and traps on friday.

Unfortunately, it was already late, and I was in a pretty pissy mood from the sh!tty benching, so I didn't want to keep working with a crap attitude, so I'll do some chest and lats tomorrow at the gym by work. Got my years membership at Monster Gym today though, and my other membership is still good until end of september by work.

I guess all in all, it was foolish to try 300. I hadn't done it since before my cut, and even then only did it once or twice. Now being 20lbs lighter, on less calories, and using form I'm not used to, I shouldn't be surprised I couldn't get it. Having said that, I WILL f*cking press that b!tch next monday! :mad:

ElPietro
06-23-2003, 08:09 PM
And here are some updated pics, because I know how much you care. :)

ElPietro
06-23-2003, 08:10 PM
They did the plumbing, as there were plastic piping going around the place, and also of course the copper water pipes. I believe they did some electrical as well, as you can see some wiring poping out of the front walls.

ElPietro
06-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Finally the ground dried out so I could walk around to the back of the house. The second floor windows you see are my bedroom windows. Back yard will be an "ok" size. I didn't expect much anyway.

carolinagirl
06-23-2003, 09:17 PM
The house is looking quite sexy.

However, why did they put those round windows in square holes? (I'm being serious. Do they just fill that in later, or something? And....with what?)

McBain
06-23-2003, 11:53 PM
nice house dude :thumbup:

does it have another floor underneath?

ElPietro
06-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Heath, yeah they will fill it. Probably with more of that boarding first. Not sure what it's made of. Probably just chip board or something. Then they'll be going over it with brick anyway.

McBain, yeah, it will have a finished basement below. The good thing about getting it finished from the get go, is that they don't put those annoying support posts down there, they use beams across the top instead. So plenty of space if I wanted a pool table. In any case, I won't be having to plan around unwanted columns like 99% of the people have to.

It's a semi, but a pretty big one. 2196 square feet (total includes finished parts of basement). I liked the floor plan for this one, coulda bought a fully detached for the same price or less, but liked this best. It should be pretty kick-ass once I make all the changes I have planned.

Budiak
06-24-2003, 07:32 AM
It's a square hole because there is no reason for there to be a round hole there. Arches are obsolete, the only reason they put arches in anything these days is in post-classical architecture, and even then the arches are a mere facade. There is only weight distributed along the vertical lines of the house, there will never, ever be a significant weight placed on a stretched length of wooden beam because it is very weak under tension, yet is extremely strong under compression, thus it can be used to build house frame. Notice how in a regular floor, you need to have crossbeams every other foot in order to keep the floor you're walking on from splintering. Wel, not splintering...but I dont think you'd want to walk on a floor that went 'wobble wobble' when you walked on it.

That gray board is most likely a recycled-material sheetrock type material used on the exterior of the home. The stucco(I'm assuming the house will be covered with stucco or cement) is then applied to this board instead of the real(and very expensive) wood panels. If something is damaged, and it happens a lot, the recycled panel can be removed, replaced, and a new layer of stucco applied because stucco...well, ever tried to re-super glue something on top of old superglue? If they were to have to go in and tear out a board, it would be a far larger operation due to the extraction of heavy nails, and they'd probably have to replace the insulation as well.

Wait, did you say brick? No ****? Same situation. They may apply a layer of adhesive to the board as they are placing the brick so it has two axes of 'stuck', and the brick isn't freestanding, and freestanding brick is FAR easier to break with a sledgehammer when I'm vandalizing your home.

When..when THEY are vanda....

Vand.....

*gets the **** out

Relentless
06-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
It's a square hole because there is no reason for there to be a round hole there. Arches are obsolete, the only reason they put arches in anything these days is in post-classical architecture, and even then the arches are a mere facade. There is only weight distributed along the vertical lines of the house, there will never, ever be a significant weight placed on a stretched length of wooden beam because it is very weak under tension, yet is extremely strong under compression, thus it can be used to build house frame. Notice how in a regular floor, you need to have crossbeams every other foot in order to keep the floor you're walking on from splintering. Wel, not splintering...but I dont think you'd want to walk on a floor that went 'wobble wobble' when you walked on it.

That gray board is most likely a recycled-material sheetrock type material used on the exterior of the home. The stucco(I'm assuming the house will be covered with stucco or cement) is then applied to this board instead of the real(and very expensive) wood panels. If something is damaged, and it happens a lot, the recycled panel can be removed, replaced, and a new layer of stucco applied because stucco...well, ever tried to re-super glue something on top of old superglue? If they were to have to go in and tear out a board, it would be a far larger operation due to the extraction of heavy nails, and they'd probably have to replace the insulation as well.

Wait, did you say brick? No ****? Same situation. They may apply a layer of adhesive to the board as they are placing the brick so it has two axes of 'stuck', and the brick isn't freestanding, which makes it FAR easier to break with a sledgehammer when I'm vandalizing your home.

When..when THEY are vanda....

Vand.....

*gets the **** out

all this in-depth contracting/construction knowledge

you'd think he was italian or something. :p

fuggedaboudit

Budiak
06-24-2003, 07:48 AM
:mad:

ElPietro
06-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Did my lat assistance exercises today at the gym by work. Didn't bother with chest, since it was kinda worked directly last night, although not really. :rolleyes:

HS High Rows:

90x?(variety of stretches and reps)/180x8/270x8/250x6

*270 didn't feel too bad. 250 after 270 felt kinda heavy though. Not sure if I did 6 or 8 reps, think I did 8 but I'll post six since I'm not sure. Don't really care anyway.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6

**First set of these and first few reps of the second set were done pretty fast and explosive. It's funny how easy it is to stagnate on something if you don't continue adding weight. Finally getting to use the 140s at Monster made the 120s feel light. Well, not THAT light...

CG Lat Pulldowns:

180x8/180x6

Got on the ellyptical and set it to 15 minutes, got off after 5 minutes. Even though squats were light, they were still high volume last night, so quads were exhausted. Did about 5 minutes of stretching, nothing major, and that was it. Water in the shower was scalding hot, go figure since it's scorching hot outside as well. Made the changeroom one big sauna. :mad:

That's it, I plan on going to thai boxing tonight, but I anticipate being a lazy b!tch and skipping out. Need to pick up some Pearl Jam tickets for saturday as well. Deadlifts tomorrow.

carolinagirl
06-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Did you say.......pool table???

When is the housewarming party?

ElPietro
06-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Well it has room for one. I originally planned to have a pool table, then a home gym instead, then a home theater instead of that. I have now officially put everything on hold. It will basically be a space with some furniture but otherwise barren until I figure out what to do with it. So the pullout couch and chair go down there, as I'm getting new furniture for upstairs.

Relentless
06-24-2003, 02:28 PM
so you're well on your way to becoming a Disciple of Harnek? :)

ElPietro
06-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Something like that. I'll get to meet up with some of the other gurus during the meet in July. So I'll get to see Bill Jamison, who Harnek considers a good friend, and a really good guy. Says Bill is great for getting his thoughts on form and technique issues.

I'll see how things go, and maybe in 6-8 months of working out my form, and such things I'll be ready for a meet. By then, if I can actually successfully continue cutting, I'd be able to up my cals again. But ideally, I'd want to get down to around 220lbs if possible, so if I do compete, I'd be in the 100 kg class. From some minor discussion from Harnek, he feels that a 1400lb total wouldn't be any difficulty within 6 months for me, with all the gear plifters use. I'm setting that as my goal for now, although it may not be easy if I'm still trying to drop 10-15 more lbs. Once I can eat more, I'll focus on getting to 1500.

My squat is sorta the x-factor, since with proper form, it should balloon up. I guess everything can in theory, since my bench form is horrible, and I'm just going to start sumo style on deads now as well.

WillKuenzel
06-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Geez with the numbers you push around without form, it'll be scary to see what you toss around when you get your form and stuff in order. Best of luck with it all man. It'd be great to train with somebody like that!

ElPietro
06-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
Geez with the numbers you push around without form, it'll be scary to see what you toss around when you get your form and stuff in order. Best of luck with it all man. It'd be great to train with somebody like that!

Hey thanks man, I'm not too confident though. I'm sure, if anything, poundages will go down while form is an issue, then hopefully when I've learned it well enough, I'll be able to at least match or exceed what I've lifted before. But who knows. It's easy to guess, but I'll just keep things going and see where they leave me.

Today was deadlift day. Decent session. It's nice to leave the gym feeling good, instead of angry for once. :)

Deadlifts:

135 x8 Sumo stance (pain in hips)

135 x8 Sumo stance (pain in hips)

135 x15 Really fast conventionals, was still waiting for Harnek to get changed.

135 x? Back to sumo for Harnek's opinion, had my feet pretty wide, just trying to push my ass down a bit more. Hard to do much with only 1 plate on the bar.

225 x4-6 Sumo again. More just concerned with keeping everything except my shoulders tight, but having them set before the pull.

225 x6 Really fast conventionals, just to give my back a bit of work.

315 x2 Sumos.

315 x5 Conventional.

405 x2 Conventional, fast.

515 x1 Conventional. Harnek said it was pretty smooth, and most judges would have passed this lift, but if a judge was a hardass, they may have given a redlight, since it looked like there MAY have been a minor hitch when I slowed down for a sec. He wasn't sure, but said some judges would red light for that.

515 x1 After standing around for about 3 minutes, decided to see if I could do another rep. I got it, but had two definite hitches. Oh well, I got the weight up, and with time those hitches will iron themselves out.

All this was without equipment of course, although I used a bit of chalk for the 515s. Harnek brings it, so I use it. I think I'll keep working this way and trying to get down a bit more on sumos, and slowly increase the weight on them as well, and see where things take me. Who knows, maybe I'll find out I prefer a mid or more narrow stance in the end.

Assistance exercises were to be shoulders and arms.

bar x8/135x8/135x8/135x8

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldowns

60x8/80x6/80x6

*I actually did a set or two with the stack first. Was trying to see how heavy it was, but the whole thing was too light, so went to single arm.

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8

DB Concentration Curls:

45x8/45x6

**I don't remember if it was 8 or 6 or whatever, but it's concentration curls, so who the f*ck cares.

SkullCrushers:

115x8/115x7

DB Hammer Curls:

45x8/45x8

***Lol, these made me look badass in the mirror. Delts looking big, chest sticking out a bit, and traps flaring. I coulda walked around carrying the DBs in that stance and been in ILSS heaven. :cool:

Anyway, felt pretty pumped, pretty satisfied with this. I am not sure if I'll go down to heavy doubles or triples, or keep pushing my strength on singles for deads. Friday is heavy squat day. I haven't squatted heavy ever since I tweaked my hip, so this should be interesting. If I can finally get my squat strength going, I think it will really help my deadlift. Now that I have someone working with me, that can make sure I don't kill myself, I should be able to push myself for once.

We'll see, I'd put my money on me having to use a walking stick at some point in the next 3 months. :p

ElPietro
06-26-2003, 07:18 AM
Updating last nights workout. Did about 5 minutes of stretching.

Also, got introduced to a powerlifter that will be competing in the Toronto Open. I noticed him when I came in, as he was in the rack I use and had a box setup, with chalk everywhere. I asked him if he was done with the rack after and started to work, then Harnek brought him over. So he trains Tues/Thurs/Sat, so maybe at times we will switch up our days if we want to train a bit with him.

Today's training:

5:52 am tee off time. Golfed kinda crappy. Short game was really good, tee shots poor. Shot a fooking 46, thanks in part to a triple on the 8th. :mad:

Franjipani
06-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Today was deadlift day. Decent session.

Bloody hell, I'll say :nod:

ElPietro
06-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey franni! Why are you not coming to buffalo or toronto! tuttut Bad girl! It's not like you'd have to buy your own drinks ever! Same goes for Heath, so get yer butts up here!

WillKuenzel
06-27-2003, 08:26 AM
You get up to golf at 6am?! :eek: Can you even see anything at that time?

ElPietro
06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Actually I was surprised it was bright when I left my house at 20 after 5. Sky was greyish blue, with purple where the sun was coming up. Was very bright for golf.

Hey, where is this sketch I think I read you had for a makeshift GHR exercise. I think I want to try these. If it's in your journal, don't say, "it's in my journal." I'm not sifting through pages and pages of carolina girl and franji drool to find it! :p

WillKuenzel
06-27-2003, 08:36 AM
LMAO!!

Its in my journal but just for you...

Its done off the pull down machine. Turn the other way and put the pad low enough that it can secure your feet. Then just lower yourself while keeping your back and hams in line.

ElPietro
06-27-2003, 08:41 AM
WTF, that drawing I can't even tell which way the guy is facing! I'm guessing away, unless he can hyperextend his knees 90 degrees. But shouldn't the resistance be coming from the opposite direction? ie. when pulling your torso back up? So the weight from the stack would be an aid not resistance yes? or I am just completely confused here.

Or wait, just before I submitted, I thought "maybe he isn't using the lat pulldown stack at all. So then are you just holding a plate or two in your hands?

WillKuenzel
06-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Oh hell, if I could even do one I'd be doing good. I can just do negatives.

LOL, the drawing simply sucks but he's facing away from the stack but his feet are towards it.

Basically its doing the samething as a hyperextension but instead of your hips being supported and bending at your back its your shins that are being supported and you are only bending at the knees.

ElPietro
06-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Ah, I get it now, and this works?

WillKuenzel
06-27-2003, 09:18 AM
It hurts like hell. I can't even really do a full negative without completely busting my face towards the bottom. Its very tough on the hams.

There are other variations of it that people have done but this was the easiest for me to do. Its kind of tough to keep both knees on the seat but it works and hits my hams hard.

Give it a go. I guarantee it or my money back. :p

carolinagirl
06-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey franni! Why are you not coming to buffalo or toronto! tuttut Bad girl! It's not like you'd have to buy your own drinks ever! Same goes for Heath, so get yer butts up here!

It's the plane tickets that cost money, silly. I guess we could walk to Toronto.....

Praetorian
06-28-2003, 11:31 AM
hey elp! how much does a regular house at an ok neigbourhood cost?

ElPietro
06-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Heath, you should start walking now then, since it'll probably take you a little while to get here. :D I wasn't sure if anyone coming up was near you guys, I guess not.

Cent, a regular house can mean manythings, and even an ok neighbourhood. Generally the closer to toronto you are, it will be much more expensive. If you buy a $250,000 house 20 minutes drive outside the city, you will get a decent place, around 2000 square feet. If you spent that money downtown toronto, you'd probably get a 700 square foot apartment, and probably not even a parking spot.

Ok, I have been busy this weekend, so I will post friday's squat workout as I remember it. This was my first time squatting heavy, or attempting to squat heavy in I believe 2 or 3 months, since I strained my hip.

Squats:

135x6

135x6

225x6

225x4

315x3 Wow, these felt heavy. Last one was almost missed.

365x1+1 Ugh. Did the first one, and Harnek said go down for a second. I kept going down slowly, too slowly, and then bottomed out. So yeah, I was sitting pretty much ATF. Started to push like a b!tch and then started drifting forward, then got spotted, but still had to push like a mother to get through it. Obviously, I need to get back to working at these...

315x2

*I think I did another set, either with 315 again, or 225, but whatever. This was just to get me started again. Hopefully I can start lifting proper weight again on friday. No problem from the hip though, so I'm happy with that.

Dynamic Bench:

135x8

135x8

185x5

185x5

225x3 These I tried to do fast, but in reality the bar didn't move that fast.

225x3

225x10

**Got better with form I think. I always had my ass firmly planted on the bench, and didn't realize this isn't really what should be happening with a plift type of bench, and that it should barely touch, so I think that helps put me at a better angle. Tried to work on where i'm lowering and raising the bar, but still need to work on that more.

The only assistance stuff I decided to do was shrugs.

BB Shrugs:

225x8/315x6/405x5/455x5/315x8

Just saw the Hulk, and it was pretty ace. Still in rough shape from yesterday. Finished off my woodworking class, got my project done, I'll post a pic some other time, and then headed to the house, also post pics later on. There was a couple rows of bricks at the bottom, and the scaffolding was up to put the rest on. I received bad news that it's been delayed by a month though. :( So now Oct. 8th is the new closing date.

Stopped and had a sub, and then had to drive downtown to pick up some tickets to the Pearl Jam concert. Got home in time to shower and change and then go to my friend's place. We went out and drank and decided to skip the opener. I drank quite a bit, then got to the show, and they had these cool 28oz beers. :cool: Pearl Jam was really good, but it seemed weird looking at eddie with short hair, almost fro like in quality. After that we trekked for what my drunk ass thought was forever. Stopped at a bar and had another couple drinks. Then continued to stumble along till I recognized the area, and realized we were outside the club I work at. So went in there for some comp drinks. I think I drank too much there too. Cabbed back, and I almost got sick in the cab. Apparently, I'd been up since 8am for class, and the only meal I had was that fookin sub at like 3pm. Drinking like a fish had me feeling really bad, especially since I barely drink anymore. Went inside and sat down. Felt ill so I went outside again. I lay down at the curbside, and thought that the pavement was really comfy, and it was warm from the day. So I decided I'd sleep on the sidewalk. I guess 10 minutes later I was discovered by my freind and coerced back inside to sleep. I didn't feel human until I finally got to the taco bell drive through the next day at 11am. I was supposed to go to the blue jays game, but felt that going to bed and sleeping until 6pm was a better choice, so skipped out on a couple friends.

I'm also a loser since I didn't take tomorrow off, so I have to go into work, and then our holiday is on tuesday. It'll be a ghost town in the office though.

rookiebldr
06-30-2003, 08:10 AM

Cent, a regular house can mean manythings, and even an ok neighbourhood. Generally the closer to toronto you are, it will be much more expensive. If you buy a $250,000 house 20 minutes drive outside the city, you will get a decent place, around 2000 square feet. If you spent that money downtown toronto, you'd probably get a 700 square foot apartment, and probably not even a parking spot.

But that's Canadian so converted to U.S. dollars it's like 5 cents. :D :D

Pete, the workouts look like they are going pretty good. 515 on deads, nice improvements.

As for the ghost town in the Office, that's what I'm guessing. I'm skipping work and will be catching some rays. :evillaugh

carolinagirl
06-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Yes. The squats look very good, and I'm glad they didn't hurt your hip. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

You like SF/Fantasy, too, if I remember correctly? Have you ever read Guy Gavriel Kay's the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy? (He's the guy who worked with Tolkien on the Silmarillion.) It's a great series (only three books, but he wrote several out of this trilogy as well) - REALLY well written, and also (before they go to the other world, of course) set in Toronto! You should check it out! (I'm re-reading it right now.)

(Also, if it makes you feel better about your drunken adventures, I slept on the bathroom floor on Thursday night. It was cooler in there, on the tile and all......and the toilet was near, just in case.)

(I didn't need it, btw.)

I think I am getting too old for this kind of mischief, Pete.

*sigh*

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey Heathy, yeah I have read the Fionavar Tapestry. Awesome trilogy, I completely agree with you on your assessment. I could probably stand re-reading it myself. I haven't set aside enough time lately for reading.

I also am starting to feel old. Making a rookie mistake like not eating is almost unforgiveable. Although that sidewalk did feel damned comfortable. :p

Ok, speaking of puking, I am sitting here typing, having chugged a protein shake, and now give myself a 30% chance of going to heave. Workout was pretty fookin long, calories way low today, and intensity pretty damned high.

Today was explosive squat/heavy bench day.

BB Squats:

135x8

135x8

225x6 Done pretty explosive on concentric

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Paused reps, Harnek counting slowly to 4 before I could go up. I saw stars and black things going across my vision after I was done. It's very tough sitting at parallel depth, trying to breath while your partner takes his damned time counting.

225x3 Speed set. Need to start pulling the bar down, the bar flies up off my back and then lands on my neck/spine and isn't exactly a pleasant feeling.

225x2 Paused reps, Harnek counting to 5 this time. More blurry vision etc.

225x10 Not much rest in between all these sets. Felt quite ill at this point. 10 wasn't failure, it was just to "almost puke."

*I may have missed an explosive set of 3 at 225 before the first pause set, but as usual, I'm unsure, so I'll exclude it.

Ok, now on to max effort bench. How I am expected to go heavy bench after fooking squats is beyond me. But I stumbled over and started going.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8 Fast

135x8 REALLY fast

225x3 Fast

245x1 Bad form, almost pressed from my neck

295x1 Pretty slow, but all mine

275x3 Last rep was slow, but Harnek didn't have to touch the bar on any of these, so all me again

225x8 For sh!ts and giggles

**Well, I was quite pleased, considering I felt like I had just been run over by a mack truck from squats. I pondered the idea of doing bench first on heavy bench day, but Harnek said he normally always does squats first, as that's how it would go in a meet. Not a huge deal, he said we could change it up, but I decided to keep it this way. I'll just learn to bench on less fuel.

Assistance Exercises:

Single Arm DB Rows:

55x6/155x6(5 on right)/115x8

***Ok, the 155 got some stares. I dropped down to 115 and thought I'd do them as fast as I could. I almost broke my ribs the first rep. I can't believe how easily I ripped them up, and kept hitting my ribs, and the speed was pretty insane. I got a whole lot more looks at how I was just yanking these. Left side was slower, but still pretty damned fast.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/45x8

****Did these very slow, very strict, and very deep. Kept my arms almost perfectly straight.

SUPERSET:

Supinated Shoulder Width Chins:

BW x6/BW x4

*****Ok, first time doing chins in like forever. I had done some chins earlier on, as I was just stretching some stuff out, so long pauses at the top and stuff. I didn't give much rest between the chins and Dips (see below), so the 4 reps and even the 6 I think are just a starting point, and if I did these earlier on should be much higher.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx8

******Ready to puke, end of session.

Well, I left feeling pretty proud. Form on squats is much improved, although, i experienced a lot of pain in the right shoulder. I think the bar was warped, as are quite a few there, and if you don't turn it the right way, the warp can cause shoulder irritation. It took 3 tries before I could start warming up with one plate it hurt so much. Bench looks like it's coming up. I know I have a long way to go, but hopefully things can continue to progress. I guess I'm getting close to where I was, if not passed. Form is getting better, and getting used to the closed grip, as opposed to a broken grip, which I feel allows more weight to be pushed.

All in all, a decent session, and I've made it through posting this without getting ill, so I guess I'll be ok. :)

I need to get back to some semblance of regular cardio, or GPP though. I have managed to somehow stay around the same weight, or a pound or two up at most, which is probably water, but I need to cut down some more. I will try to focus on getting my fat arse into the 100kg weight class. So that would mean dropping 10-15lbs depending on which scale I trust. I'll weigh myself on the scale they use at the meet, to see what I'd come in at, and then adjust my scale measurements accordingly.

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Ok, here's an updated pic of my house, complete with scaffolding.