PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Here's a sample of what the colour of the brick will be.

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Here is my pride and joy from my woodworking class. I'm pleased with how the finish came out, considering I had to rush stain things and laquer in the same day. I received a 93% grade on it, and woulda been higher had I noticed some glue marks that showed through after staining.

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Here's a view of the top. Pardon the flash.

ElPietro
06-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, last one I promise. I realize it's just a stupid step stool, but I think it's cool, and this is my journal so stfu.

Budiak
07-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Pardon the flash? I dont even see a stool!

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Anyways, thats a damn nice stool, duderoner. I do wonder, though, about the choice of stain color. Don't you think a darker brown would have been more...umm...less pukish?

I do appreciate handmade furniture though.

Coke
07-01-2003, 06:11 AM
The house is really coming along, isn't it? And you are showing some good craftmanship with your work, I likes :)

Franjipani
07-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Hey franni! Why are you not coming to buffalo or toronto! tuttut Bad girl!

Shhhhhhhh...... who say's I'm not coming??? ;)

btw....I'm impressed with your handyman skills:thumbup:

JustinF
07-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Looks like that's gonna be a damn nice house bro. Congrats.

ElPietro
07-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Budiak, less pukish? So you'd rather me stain it brown, so that it looks like every other piece of furniture that's always died brown! Actually, if you look at the cool grain on the legs, which is sorta like a heartwood, I wanted to leave it natural. Green I felt was an excellent colour to compliment the natural base. Brown would have been to dark, and probably woulda looked cheesy to boot. I think the green came out great, so stfu. :D

Cocoa and Justin, thanks dudes. I am really looking forward to moving in. It sucks that I was delayed a month now. I guess that's another couple paychecks before I move, but I really would rather get out of where I am and get into the new place. Oh well, I guess delays in construction are an inevitability.

Fran, so then you are coming? I am glad you have now officially committed 100% to this trip. There is no way out of the binding contract you have now entered. I'll see you at the end of the month. :D

the doc
07-01-2003, 02:17 PM
fran do you work?

Franjipani
07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Fran, so then you are coming? I am glad you have now officially committed 100% to this trip. There is no way out of the binding contract you have now entered. I'll see you at the end of the month. :D

*gulp*

Gotta luv a man that takes charge ;)

Doc - I finish up my course when i get back to Australia next Month....I did, however, work in Florida:D.

Do you? ;)

Mik
07-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Elp, just checked in. The house looks like it's coming along nicely. Gonna be a sweet shack! So the home gym is out for now?

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

*gulp*

Gotta luv a man that takes charge ;)

:cool:

Mik, thanks man, I hope so. I'm getting pretty damned impatient to get in there. But now realizing even once I'm in, I'm going to have to wait at least until the summer before I do anything significant as there's no point painting until the house is settled.

Also, I'll have to live with carpet in the living room and dining area for the same reasons. I opted to have carpet just for the interim, until the house again is settled, so I can put in hardwood. *grumble*

As for the home gym, I decided against the idea, simply because I do enjoy going to the gym. It's a good escape from life for the hour or two I'm there. And then I don't have to worry about buying every little piece of equipment, or not having heavy enough dumbells or whatever. Typically people haven't been getting in my way, so frustrations are pretty minimal for me.

I can always opt to get something like a treadmill and heavy bag, so I can do the frou frou stuff at home so I don't need to bother going to the gym for it. Of course, cardio equipment that can support my fat ass costs a huge premium, so not sure I have a couple grand to dedicate to something like that yet.

Mik
07-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Good call on leaving the house somewhat "basic" for a period. I had my house built about 6 years ago and wished I'd left some things for a while. It's better (IMO) to get settled in for awhile and see what you really want to do. I know the feeling about wanting to get in there but it'll be here before you know it.

Make sure you get heavy curtains so the neighbours can't see you doing the frou frou stuff. ;)

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Well frou frou would still be beating the sh!t out of a heavy bag, so I guess I could do that to scare them away. Or at least give them a good laugh.

It's a pain because I have almost every little detail already planned out. I also made sure I would have the funds necessary to do most of it right way, and now having to wait, and walk around a house with white walls and crap like that, is going to kill me. But I guess I could just focus on building the pieces I need out of wood, since I have a few projects planned. But even then I want to get into my second class before I tackle some more complicated stuff.

I'm planning to build the dining room table, a console or server table also for the dining room, maybe I will do bench seating on one side, so that's another project. The next project in the next class will suffice for a telephone table, then I also have my bed to make (just a platform bed), and another couple tables which I may or may not just buy instead of make. But I have some really cool design ideas, that aren't the common BS you can just go pick up at Leon's or the Brick. I think it would be cool to have some furniture people get WOWed over and then I can be proud of being the actual maker.

How long did you wait? My new date is october 8, and I'm guessing that once a house has gone through a freeze and a thaw, that it's pretty much gone through the motions as far as any major settling, that would do any structural harm. So I'd plan on doing all the extra stuff like painting in July of 2004, and then the wood floor shortly after. You think this is a long enough wait?

Mik
07-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Sounds like you've really learned alot in your classes. That's something I would love to do one day! Sounds like you've done a great job planning and visualizing how you want things to look once you're in the house. It would definitely be much nicer to have well built, nicely designed pieces vs. "off the rack" furniture. As you said you also can take pride in saying "I built that".

I had to wait about a year. I got in to mine in October as well. I think you're safe to go ahead next summer. Like you said most of the settling should have occured by then.

On another note, I think you should hang the heavy bag somewhere on the front lawn then sneek out to it before dinnertime in a ninja outfit and kick the **** out of it. That'd really make you popular in the neighbourhood.

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 09:46 AM
No, I'm going to put like 4 or 5 posts or stumps out there, with fake arms and legs. And then every day before dinner, I'll place some watermelons on each post as a head, and then pull out my katana, and slice them in half while screaming at the top of my lungs. Then I'll wail on my axe and go back inside to eat. :)

Mik
07-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Schweeeeeet!!!!!!! You'll be invited to all the neighbourhood BBQs.

Praetorian
07-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Cent, a regular house can mean manythings, and even an ok neighbourhood. Generally the closer to toronto you are, it will be much more expensive. If you buy a $250,000 house 20 minutes drive outside the city, you will get a decent place, around 2000 square feet. If you spent that money downtown toronto, you'd probably get a 700 square foot apartment, and probably not even a parking spot.

eeeeh how much is it in meters? :scratch:

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 07:15 AM
My house is 668.7312 m when converted from feet.

Training update, missed the f*cking workout last night. :mad: Harnek couldn't make it, and I became lazy.

Woke up at 5am this morning to make 6:15 tee off. I played pretty damned well. 9 holes of golf, and I shot 4 pars and 1 birdie. Unfortunately I had a double bogie and a triple bogie to ruin the round. Last four holes were par, triple bogie, birde, par. Shot a 42. Shoulda been a 40, or less, since I had a 3 put on another hole that wasn't the triple. Oh well, that's golf. Bleh.

IceRgrrl
07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
I can't believe you actually got up at that ungodly uncivilized hour of the morning to walk around a glorified field following a little white ball around...it's mad. :p

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 07:40 AM
You wake up at hours like that to watch a dog take a sh!t. Who's the dumbass now eh chump? :D :p

carolinagirl
07-03-2003, 10:38 AM
You make a good point.

Tryska
07-03-2003, 10:54 AM
is that bench thing supposed ot be leaning liek that?

also does it actually support weight?

nice stain on it.

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 11:41 AM
It is not leaning. It is perfectly square and perfectly level. All my measurements were 100% bang on, despite we have 1/16th of an inch leeway. :cool: If it appears leaning, then it is the angle of the camera. It's very stable, I kept jokingly saying I was going to give it the Peter test and stand on it, and I believe it would hold my weight, but it came out rather well, so I'd rather not wreck it. Maybe it can be something decorative, like put a plant on it or some BS like that. *shrug*

Heath, another good point is I don't have to feed my clubs either. :p So pfft to IceR!

Franco
07-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I take it you'll be paying for all the people on the forums that live in europe to come to your housewarming;)

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Lol, hey Frankie! For you, I'd probably pay for your drinks at least. How's it been man, hardly see you around anymore. Don't tell me you have better things to do than slum around the net all day. ;)

Give dan a kick in the nuts from me next time you see him. I see he's doing great with his journal. I guess he'll start another one soon enough...when he decides to go on another two week training cycle.

Tryska
07-03-2003, 01:05 PM
so if it's all perfect, how come you got a 93? was it one of those "i don't give perfect grades" teachers?

i think it looks fabulous. if a little wonky. ;)

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
I received a 93% grade on it, and woulda been higher had I noticed some glue marks that showed through after staining.

Reading is a blessing Tina-poo, don't waste it. ;)

Also, it was broken down in sections, where he'd take marks off when it wasn't square and all that, structurally it was perfect so no marks deducted. Then there were other categories marked out of 5. So if he didn't see anything wrong or it was good he'd give me a 4. I got a 3 on one of them because of the glue marks, and the rest he gave 4s for, I guess maybe they don't give 5s? One joint wasn't perfect but was a result of the stool top that they first produced. Anyway, it turned out better than I thought.

I know that woodworking, and woodfinishing are entirely seperate things, and the finishing is almost an art unto itself. I'm glad I got through it pretty smoothly, and am more confident in producing everyday items that would be more prominent, such as a dining room table top.

And thanks. :)

Tryska
07-03-2003, 01:16 PM
well hell you can't possibly expect me to read everything you write. ;)

IceRgrrl
07-03-2003, 01:17 PM
You wake up at hours like that to watch a dog take a sh!t. Who's the dumbass now eh chump? :D :p

Not every morning...and even when I do, I can go right back to bed and sleep for a few more hours :D

IceRgrrl
07-03-2003, 01:20 PM

Heath, another good point is I don't have to feed my clubs either. :p So pfft to IceR!

And I bet they don't greet you enthusiastically every time you come home, guard your house and your person, cuddle up with you, or swinm/play/drive/walk/run with you either :p

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 01:21 PM
I felt a lot of love from my clubs when my putt rolled in for birdie today. :)

Franco
07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Lol, hey Frankie! For you, I'd probably pay for your drinks at least. How's it been man, hardly see you around anymore. Don't tell me you have better things to do than slum around the net all day. ;)

I've been good. I'm on the forums basically every day though I just seem to ban people or regulate the posts and attachments from the mod panel. Oh and cheers for the drink:D

Give dan a kick in the nuts from me next time you see him. I see he's doing great with his journal. I guess he'll start another one soon enough...when he decides to go on another two week training cycle.

He's swanning off with his work to the Lake district, in other words a few days on the razz

the doc
07-03-2003, 03:46 PM
dan is such a lazy bastard

rookiebldr
07-03-2003, 04:10 PM
I felt a lot of love from my clubs when my putt rolled in for birdie today. :)

Ace!

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Ok, I was a lazy b!tch yesterday and skipped my workout, so thought I'd do a hurly burly makeup workout this evening.

Deadlifts: (all conventional)

135x6/225x6/315x5/405x3/535xgf/535xgf/495x1/405x3

*GF=Grip Failed. And no, my grip didn't necessarily fail, the weight is not too much, but the punk ass bars they have in the racks are complete pieces of sh!t! :mad: I thought I grabbed a nice shiny one, but the knurling sucked ass. On both attempts at the 535 I got it about 5 or 6 inches off the ground, and proceeded to watch the fingers on my left hand unravel. I figured that 5 plates would be too much for my grip as well, since the first time I came to the gym I failed on the sh!tty bar with no chalk. I decided to experiment and reverse things. So now my left hand was over, and right under. This is how Harnek said most if not all right handers do it, and from a previous discussion with IceR she seemed to agree with this. I pulled the 5 plates and grip wasn't really a problem, other than me wondering if it was. So, I think I can make 535, which would be a PR for me from when I stopped a while back, and I think I have a lot of progress left in my ugly quasi stiff-legged conventional stance. So next time I'll make sure Harnek is around or I may go and buy my own chalk. I was pretty damned pissed though. I wondered if I had changed my grip for the 535 would I have made it. Sh!t like that will ruin my week.

Standing BB Millies:

bar x8/135x8/135x4

**Ok, my shoulder killed. It was hurting bad when I did squats monday, with another fooked up bar, unless I had it positioned wrong. I don't think I did anyway. So I'm guessing I strained a cuff somewhere and it was somewhat irritable. gave up and was gonna leave but thought I'd do at least an exercise for each arm muscle.

DB Concentration Curls:

45x8/??/45x6

***Not sure if I did 3 sets or not. I was sitting on the bench angry, and then I started wondering if I had done two sets or one before I started the last. Whatever.

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Cable Pulldowns:

70x8/80x6/80x6/80x6

Did 10 minutes walking somewhat fast on the treadmill and then left.

chris mason
07-03-2003, 07:46 PM
That's a good job El, I think I am going to take a few weeks off of the deadlift as I think my lower back needs the rest.

ElPietro
07-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks Chris, I took a LONG time off. My back was a bit messed, but nothing too much. Just felt like regular DOMS that lasted about 3 weeks. :D Once I got into a bit of a cutting effort, I decided that I would just do some frou frou bodybuilding routine as I was just going for quick lunchtime workouts.

Now I think I will start deadlifting every week and hopefully now I'm in PR territory again. I forgot to train sumos too, so that really doesn't help my goal of adapting myself and my hip ROM to be better at these. Although, I think my lower back is quite strong versus my legs/hips which I think is the major difference between these two forms of dead.

And I think you are smart to do that, if you think it needs rest, it probably needed it long ago, especially the punishment you deal out to it. :p I'm still in your warmup range. :cry:

ryan1117
07-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Good knurling seems to be hard to find anywhere. Both gyms I train at seem to have 9 bad bars and usually 1 or 2 good ones. Hell, I even saw a janitor filing off some knurling one time.

ElPietro
07-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ryan1117
Hell, I even saw a janitor filing off some knurling one time.

If I saw someone filing off knurling, I'd probably go to jail for what I'd do to them.

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 07:03 AM
Well, went to my first meet yesterday. It was the Toronto open, and it was pretty cool. I did a lot of helping out, so I missed some parts, including watching the big guys squat, which I kinda didn't want to miss.

I started out just setting up the trophy table around 9:30am, and then just took a ton of pics of the first two flights of lifters. Then after 4 of them broke records, they wanted to be drug tested so the records would count. Dunno if that's how it is in the states, but up here, if you break a record you have to be tested in order for it to count, and unless you are selected for random testing you have to pay for it out of your pocket. So anyway, I became the Marshall, which meant I watched over them and they were only allowed to drink water that I provided, and not eat or drink anything else, or leave my sight. Took them up to the "drug testing" hotel room and then had to sit through all the tests. Had to observe one test, which involved insuring that the guy didn't have any stored objects on him, and it was his urine that was used. (yes, I had to watch a guy piss. :mad:)

So after all that I got back in time for the bench and deadlifts for the heavyweights. Some impressive lifts. One guy tried to break a record dead of 312.5 kg but only got half way. I think the top total was 770 kg, and he was fairly new to things so I'm sure he'll better that.

After that, they had a bench competition. Harnek decided to enter and won his weight class, I think he either pressed 140 or 142.5, not too bad considering he's got an injured shoulder and is I think in the 75kg class. The pres of the OPA decided to enter the bench comp too, and won with his opener of 13-something, and then made two failed attempts to break a record at 251 kg. He got it half way to 2/3s of the way up on both tries. Man that's 552lbs with a pause. And the deadlift record the other heavyweight was trying to beat was this guys record as well. So that means he'd have a total of around 562 kg just from the two lifts, add in squats means this guy should be hitting over 1800lbs easy.

I learned a lot from watching everyone, and it seems one thing to really focus on, would be pausing on bench, as most rookies made this mistake over and over again, and even some vets would get a red light or two for not pausing long enough. Deadlifts seem simple enough, just don't let the bar drop till they say so, and squats, just hit depth.

If I can get into the 100kg class, I think with some training, I could compete quite well, at least judging from this meet, but if I stay in the 110kg class I'd be competitive, but don't think I'd have a chance of winning. If I can get my squats going, I should be able to get into the low 600s for a total which is where most in the 100 and 110kg class guys were.

Although, one of the guys I tested, was in the 82.5kg class, and he deadlifted 292.5 kg! :eek: That means he's about 180lbs, and deadlifted over 640!

Oh well, back to training, and cutting, I got fatter, and I'm not happy about that, so I will have to make sure I'm getting more cardio, or at least some since I've done jack lately.

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Oh, I also helped clean up after. And let me say bringing all the weights and benches from the basement lobby of a hotel up and out to a pickup truck and loading it all really, REALLY sucks. I finally got home at 10:15pm after getting to the meet at about 9:am.

Coke
07-07-2003, 07:30 AM
Did anyone ever tell you how well written you can be - its almost like I was on the scene.
And it really shows much about you that you even helped out - many people I know want no part of it... :)

Relentless
07-07-2003, 07:36 AM
sounds like Harnek is making good use of you as a new lackey. :)

glas to hear you had fun... looking forward to the pix!

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks cocoa, and they were very appreciative. They did have a lot of help with the competition, which is rare, but in the end, most people bailed and it was just 3 of us left loading the truck.

It's amazing the amount of work that goes into one of these things. I guess people just think the plates, benches, bars, racks just walk themselves down the stairs. :p I would like to send out a personal "f*ck you" to whoever invented the 50kg weight plate. :D

Franco
07-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Yep, the 50kg plates are a pain in the posterior

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok, no Harnek today, so just me training. I brought my gym bag and thought I'd skip traffic and workout at my gym by work. Got into the changeroom and realized I had forgotten to pack my shoes. :mad: Ended up driving home through traffic after all.

It was dynamic squat/heavy bench day.

BB Squats:

135x6

135x8 Fast

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x2 Pause set. Tried to do a 5 count but in reality it was probably 4, if that even.

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x6 Regular set just to finish things off, it wasn't THAT easy either.

*All squats were done to what would definitely pass as parallel, and I believe are much below parallel. I think I finally got things going much quicker, but of course, Harnek wasn't there to offer his opinion. Kept the breaks to around 30 seconds between sets, and was huffing and puffing a couple times. Shoulder bothered me a bit again, but worked on the rotator between sets and it sorta settled down. Think I can safely add some weight to these next time.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x6

135x8

225x3 Last rep done with a long pause, just to see what it felt like.

255x1 Didn't have a spotter so this was only warmup anyway, so just did one rep.

305x1 Sweet. :cool: Yeah I have done this weight before, but now I'm back. I wasn't sure and got some skinny kid to spot. I went really slow on the concentric, and then pretty slow on the way back up, but there was never a doubt. The kid didn't even move, and I STRESSED to him, not to touch the bar unless it was going down. I think I had a lot more in me, and finally shifted a bit more under the bar when it got tough, getting my lats and arched in more effectively. I think I'll want to work on some pause sets just to know where I'd stand in a meet. Maybe I'll throw some in on dynamic bench day.

225x8 Coulda gone further but no spotter so stopped at eight.

Assistance Exercises: Chest/Lats

Single Arm DB Rows:

50x8/155x6 (5 on right)/130x8

**155 was still heavy as fook. Major torquing on the last rep or two. 130 on the right side was funny. I felt like I was just in one of those saw races you see in lumberjack competitions. I had that mofo going pretty fast, I think I was actually pushing it down on the eccentric. Not so fast on the left though, but still 8 reps. :)

Flat DB Flyes:

50x8/50x6

***Done really slow, form wasn't great in the second set. These felt damned heavy, and hard on my shoulders.

Lat Pulldowns:

190x8/190x6

****Form extremely tight. No sway or any motion of my torso, just arms and lats pulling things down. Body almost completely vertical for these.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx8

*****First set done really fast. I thought about adding weight with a chain belt, but my shoulders were bugging me with each rep towards the end, and ended up bothering me a lot more on the second set. All dips were very deep and to full lockout.

Decided that that was it. Took less than 1.5 hours to complete, and I was feeling good. Considering I had a small nap prior, and was feeling lazy, and thinking of all kinds of excuses why I didn't have to workout, I was rather proud that I kicked my ass out of bed and to the gym.

Still need to get a severe amount of cardio into me. I've been slacking bigtime and it shows. Anyone want to have a cutting contest? Prerequisite is that you must be fat and lack motivation. ;)

Relentless
07-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Still need to get a severe amount of cardio into me. I've been slacking bigtime and it shows. Anyone want to have a cutting contest? Prerequisite is that you must be fat and lack motivation. ;)

Don't tell me you're undoing all that fine work you put in??

tuttut!!!!

ElPietro
07-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Difficult to say. I keep thinking I have, then do a smidge of cardio and am back. But this time I was like 3lbs higher which is a tad more than usual. Usually if I slack my scale will say 236 or 237, I think after I did some thai boxing and didn't eat much one night, the next morning I was 234.2 or something like that. This morning I was 238.2. But haven't trained since thursday, and diet was bad on the weekend, so I'm guessing I'm not sliding THAT much, but should reign things in and get focused again.

Training with Harnek is a good thing and a bad thing. Now that I don't workout at lunch, I am less disciplined with eating. Oh well, I'll sort it out...or get fatter.

rookiebldr
07-07-2003, 10:13 PM
305x1 Sweet. :cool: Yeah I have done this weight before, but now I'm back. I wasn't sure and got some skinny kid to spot. I went really slow on the concentric, and then pretty slow on the way back up, but there was never a doubt. The kid didn't even move, and I STRESSED to him, not to touch the bar unless it was going down. I think I had a lot more in me, and finally shifted a bit more under the bar when it got tough, getting my lats and arched in more effectively. I think I'll want to work on some pause sets just to know where I'd stand in a meet. Maybe I'll throw some in on dynamic bench day.

You likely scared the kid ****less. I'm sure he was afraid for his life. You: "hey kid, get your skinny ass over here to spot me. No don't ****ing move unless the bar is coming down. I mean not one finger twitch while I'm lifting or there is this crowbar that will meet you head with enough force to split it open. NOW SPOT!" hahahaha.

btw, nice lifting. 305 ace.

ok, I'm almost ready. I'd rather bulk but I need a few pounds off.

Mik
07-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

You likely scared the kid ****less. I'm sure he was afraid for his life. You: "hey kid, get your skinny ass over here to spot me. No don't ****ing move unless the bar is coming down. I mean not one finger twitch while I'm lifting or there is this crowbar that will meet you head with enough force to split it open. NOW SPOT!" hahahaha.

LMAO!!!!! I can picture that sooooooo clearly. Elp terrorizing the gym punks. :D

JustinF
07-08-2003, 07:03 AM
Awesome job bro. 305 is ace!!

I just may take you up on the cutting contest. :D Maybe that will get me motivated, although I know for sure you're not fat like me.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Lol, thanks guys.

Justin just let me know. Basically, the only thing that motivated me before was having to put up pictures. And I did my usual thing of procrastinating 2/3rds of the contest, and then cutting like made the last 3 or 4 weeks. Having to put up pictures shirtless or whatever can get troublesome if you are not coming close to your goals, so it's pretty good motivation. I just want to lose enough weight to put me safely in a lower weight class for powerlifting. That way I can spend time getting everything geared towards that weight, such as lifting, metabolism, eating habits, etc. So ideally I'd want to be around 215-220 to be able to meet requirements of the 100kg class.

Relentless
07-08-2003, 07:22 AM
give up beer and fast food for 3 months and you will have no need of a cutting contest, silly boy

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 07:23 AM
I would rather die than give up Taco Bell.

Relentless
07-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I would rather die than give up Taco Bell.

Well

Taco Bell is ok
but:
- no fries
- diet pop only
- you may only order grilled steak tacos, and you must not eat the tortilla, only the 'insides'

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 07:31 AM
But the tortilla is like the glue that holds everything together. BTW I like the chicken burrito supremes better. :cool:

I don't go that often anymore anyway. Maybe once every two weeks, once a week at most. I just need to get more occupied at lunch so I don't get out for lunch to get away from the office.

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Well I may be cottaging this weekend, so called Harnek, and he was cool with a tues/thurs workout instead of wed/fri.

So here's my bloody workout.

Deadlifts:

135x6

135x6 Speed

225x6 Speed

135x4 Slow sumos (Harnek just got there so dropped the weight so he could warm up)

225x4 Sumos, seem a bit more comfy with a wider stance. Can get down to where I need to go, and he didn't see anything wrong with form.

315x6 Speed set (really fast, as in, if I didn't have any weight, and was trying to stand up quick, I probably was going that speed)

405x1 Conventional (now warming up for PR)

455x1 Conventional (heavier warmup)

525x1 Pulled it, and felt pretty easy. Wasn't any pause that I could tell. Harnek said there MAY have been a hitch, but basically just one slow part in the lift. Said it probably would pass, but some judges may not.

*Ok, no f*cking PR. Why? Because I'm an idiot and didn't think. It wasn't till my second set of military press, that I realized that 5 plates a 10 and a 5 is 525 lbs, not 535 which I was intending to lift. Also, the plates have a rubber border, and Harnek claims they are slightly lighter than the metal plates. So when you factor ten plates, he feels it makes up to 10lbs difference. I don't know if this is true or not, but I was in a pretty damned angry mood after realizing I didn't lift what I thought I had. I was thinking of trying 555 next week. Now I think I'll try 545 but with all metal plates, so there is no debate over what I'm actually pulling. Went and switched a bar from the incline press and the rack, so we had a nice shiny sharp bar, and harnek brought some chalk as well. Grip was never an issue anyway.

Assistance work:

It was tough to figure out what to do. Considering I did squats, heavy bench, chest assistance work, and lat assistance work yesterday, there weren't a lot of muscles to be worked. Also want to be as fresh as can be for thursdays heavy squat day. Figured I'd do a bit of shoulder work and some curls and call it a day.

Standing BB Millies:

135x8/135x 6 or 8 (can't remember)

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8/35x8

DB Concentration Curls:

50x6/40x8/40x8

So I am now contemplating lifting, and probably training completely raw, up until, and including my first meet, dependent on what I think I can total. I wasn't sure how others would feel about it, and I asked Harnek, and he said they'd cheer more for anyone who came and lifted raw. I'd just rather not go to my first meet and piss people off by them thinking I'm looking down on them for using equipment. I just rather get to where I can without anything, and then go from there. The exception may be knee and wrist wraps, just for preventative measures. Oh well, that's a long way off anyway.

Bam Bam
07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
your gonna have to leave the fffa soon foo

ElPietro
07-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey, the president of the FFFA is the assless wonder who's now sub 200lbs! So I can stay...besides, it seems I've started to fatten up again anyway. :(

JustinF
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Lol, thanks guys.

Justin just let me know. Basically, the only thing that motivated me before was having to put up pictures. And I did my usual thing of procrastinating 2/3rds of the contest, and then cutting like made the last 3 or 4 weeks. Having to put up pictures shirtless or whatever can get troublesome if you are not coming close to your goals, so it's pretty good motivation. I just want to lose enough weight to put me safely in a lower weight class for powerlifting. That way I can spend time getting everything geared towards that weight, such as lifting, metabolism, eating habits, etc. So ideally I'd want to be around 215-220 to be able to meet requirements of the 100kg class.

I'm cool with a little friendly competition. You wanna set it up? Wanna start it now, or wait till next month, and how long would it go for. I think this will be good to kick me in the ass and motivate me to get serious. Let me know what ya think..:)

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Well, we could start now. I'd hate to be a slob for the rest of the month, so might as well get in gear. Do you have recent physique pics? I've kinda take a dive from my pics that I took recently, but can just use those. I'm a few lbs heavier but whatever.

Personally, I'd rather it be short, because if it's a long contest, the procrastinator in me will just slack off, and try to make up for my slacking at the last minute. :p My contest with Cal I think was about 3 months long, and I only probably dieted and trained for it seriously for 4 or 5 weeks.

So I'd propose maybe something for the end of august. So basically 6 or 7 weeks of dieting, which should be enough to notice physique changes.

That's what I'm thinking anyway, lemme know if you're game.

How about the loser orders the winner an elitefts.com tribal t-shirt as a prize. :)

Relentless
07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
My contest with Cal I think was about 3 months long, and I only probably dieted and trained for it seriously for 4 or 5 weeks.

:(

I don't know what troubles me more;
that I worked so much harder than you seemed to need to,
or
that you seem to be wasting so much potential . . . imagine if you'd spent 3 months working hard

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah it sorta pisses me off too dude. I think I woulda continued to have good gains afterward, but switching to training at Monster gym with Harnek means that I am not training at lunch now. That was part of the key for me to clean up my diet. Now I need to get a grip again. Or start doing cardio sessions at lunch or something like that. Also, haven't done any martial arts stuff in like 3 or 4 weeks which also was my primary source of cardio...so things could be better.

Relentless
07-09-2003, 12:14 PM
sounds like lunchtime cardio is in order, then . . .

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Haha, look how well that is working, I brought my gym bag for it, and had Mr. Sub instead! :mad:

Now I'm forcing my fatass to the gym for cardio tonight. Even though I'm sore from chest/squats monday and deadlifts last night, and have golf at 6:15am tomorrow morning. I'll show my body who's boss!

Oh, I also bought a board game at lunch. A few friends said they were addicted to this game called "Cranium" so there was a starbucks at the mall that sells the "Primo" edition which is all chrome. It's fookin expensive but seemed cool enough. Going cottaging this weekend so figured I'd grab it and test it out. :)

JustinF
07-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Well, we could start now. I'd hate to be a slob for the rest of the month, so might as well get in gear. Do you have recent physique pics? I've kinda take a dive from my pics that I took recently, but can just use those. I'm a few lbs heavier but whatever.

Personally, I'd rather it be short, because if it's a long contest, the procrastinator in me will just slack off, and try to make up for my slacking at the last minute. :p My contest with Cal I think was about 3 months long, and I only probably dieted and trained for it seriously for 4 or 5 weeks.

So I'd propose maybe something for the end of august. So basically 6 or 7 weeks of dieting, which should be enough to notice physique changes.

That's what I'm thinking anyway, lemme know if you're game.

How about the loser orders the winner an elitefts.com tribal t-shirt as a prize. :)

How about an even 8 weeks? Does that work for you? The loser is to buy a tribal T, sounds good to me. I will snap a couple pictures tonight when I get home. I'll post them in my journal when I'm finished.

**edit spelling**

Relentless
07-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Cranium rocks.

It is a combo of trivial pursuit, pictionary, charades, etc. Guaranteed to make ya look silly and have fun.

the only down side if you play it with people that don't want to embarass themselves... then it becomes tedious. But mix in some alcohol and you're set.

My team has never lost at this game. :D

Also -- smell the play-doh that comes with it... it's the best! Kind of a lavender smell. Worth the price of purchase just to sniff the playdoh. Well, not really. But it's cool.

WillKuenzel
07-09-2003, 12:27 PM
:withstupi

Mixing in some alcohol with it makes that game totally hilarious!

WillKuenzel
07-09-2003, 12:30 PM
And how come nobody wants to have a cutting contest with me? :(

Relentless
07-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
And how come nobody wants to have a cutting contest with me? :(

oh hush, ya natural mesomorph! ;)

WillKuenzel
07-09-2003, 12:32 PM
:angel:

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JustinF

How about an even 8 weeks? Does that work for you? The loser is to buy a tribal T, sounds good to me. I will snap a couple pictures tonight when I get home. I'll post them in my journal when I'm finished.

**edit spelling**

Ok, 8 weeks sounds good by me. How about we make the official end date, let's say September 7th? So post pics that sunday? Let me know if that works for you.

Cal, yeah the game looks pretty cool, and rest assured, drinking is the number one priority. I will turn cranium into a bigtime drinking game. I am the king of drinking games, I've turned spinning a pen into a drinking game, so I think boardgames would work.

One of my worst drinking games was the "Wilson" drinking game. We were watching that movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks, and I basically said the drinking game is that you take a drink everytime he says "Wilson" (his stupid volleyball). So it was boring as he doesn't say it forever, but then he loses the damned thing twice, and screams the name like 50 times in 2 minutes. Half the people dropped out, and those that kept up nearly puked! :p

Ps. You must have been the kid in kindergarten that sat in the corner sniffing glue all day weren't you. ;)

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Oh, and Justin as for rules, how about similar to what Cal and I did. We can self-judge, but also get opinions from the board. Basically, it will go by best transformation. So basically you look at before pic, then look at after pic, and whoever gets the best, "whoah, great change," wins.

WillKuenzel
07-09-2003, 12:39 PM
One of my worst drinking games was the "Wilson" drinking game. We were watching that movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks, and I basically said the drinking game is that you take a drink everytime he says "Wilson" (his stupid volleyball). So it was boring as he doesn't say it forever, but then he loses the damned thing twice, and screams the name like 50 times in 2 minutes. Half the people dropped out, and those that kept up nearly puked! :p

We did something similar to this the movie "Last Man Standing". Basically you drank everytime somebody was killed. Great with those old action flicks where people die off like crazy. :p

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Crap, check me out, spamming my own journal.

I'll use pics from my contest with Cal I guess, they are a month old now, but believe me it will probably take a couple weeks of good focus just to get back to that level.

They are in this thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=32337), but I can take new pics if you prefer. Makes no difference to me. I'm just lazy in general. Maybe I will, but if not those will be my befores if that's cool.

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM

We did something similar to this the movie "Last Man Standing". Basically you drank everytime somebody was killed. Great with those old action flicks where people die off like crazy. :p

Lol, some drinking games are so much better "in theory." :D

Another popular one just to start off a night in university was playing "Roxanne." Basically, we'd play the song, and guys would have to drink everytime they said "roxanne" and girls had to drink when they said "red dress." You come to realize how repetetive a chorus can get. :p

Relentless
07-09-2003, 12:45 PM
my favourite drinking games:

The Star Trek or Star Trek: TNG drinking games (played these in university back when TNG was on 3 times on a Friday night!!!)
http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/st-game.html
http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/st-tng-game.html

The Darts Drinking game (dunno if it has a real name but we've played it for ages)...
- basically, divide players into two teams, one has to shoot evens, one odds, alternate players, counting down from high to low
- the goal is to get to the lowest number first (20->18->16->...->2 or 19->17->15->...->1).
- each player gets 3 darts at a time (of course)
- for every number you get, you get to 'assign' one drink to the other team... if you get a double, 2 drinks to assign. triple: 3 drinks to assign.
- When one team closes out their lowest number, the other team all have to take a # of drinks equal to the number of remaining numbers they had to close out
- example of play: round 1, I'm on the evens team... I get a 20, a miss, and a double 18. I assign 3 drinks, however I want, to members of the other team
- there are two methods of assigning drinks, to my mind -- get the opposing team's good players drunk so they'll lose more consistently, or just assign drinks to the women (because drunk women are more fun!)

Quarters
everyone gets a quarter and a mug... you must bounce the quarter into the mug... if you miss, take a drink. After the first time you miss, your opponent to the left is allowed to start making his quarter bounce into his mug... if you still haven't bounced your quarter into your mug by the time everyone else around the table has, in order, you have to chug... gets REALLY hard as you get drunker. :)

JustinF
07-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Sept 7th works for me. So it's set then. You can use those pics if ya want, I trust you. :D If you wanna take new that's fine too, either way.
HY---- :mad:

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I'd say order my shirt now, but when we're done, I'm not sure if I'll need XL or L, so better for you to hold off. :evillaugh

Shirt is only $14 but I guess it's a fitting prize.

You're going down punk!

JustinF
07-09-2003, 01:48 PM
I'd say order my shirt now, but when we're done, I'm not sure if I'll need XL or L, so better for you to hold off. :evillaugh

Shirt is only $14 but I guess it's a fitting prize.

You're going down punk!

http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/otn/angry/nono.gif
It's on now brutha!!

Mik
07-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Woohoo, there's gonna be a gum fight!!!!!!!

heathj
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
If I were you El P, I'd probably order a small or medium, cause joo are just so weak, you little weakling. :D

Cal: Star Trek = *thumbdown* :)

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Heathgay, you should use the pink font for all the lifts in your signature. ;)

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Quick trip to the gym.

Did 16 minutes on the ellyptical, and that's all I could tolerate.

Decided to do some shrugs.

BB Shrugs:

225x8/315x6/405x5/455x3/315x8/225x8/225x8/225x8

*Well my grip was obviously still fatigued from yesterday I guess. Also, will probably have to build up to heavy shrugs again, haven't done bb shrugs much lately. For some dumbass reason I moved my head a round a lot the second last set, and as a result, my neck all of a sudden went stiff and painful. I guess the lesson here is to respect the weights regardless of how light you think it is...

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Ok, I know you have all been holding your breath, so here are some fresh pics from last weekend.

It actually looks like a house now, too bad the sonsabitches decided to delay me a month! :swear:

ElPietro
07-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Her sweet ass. :)

JustinF
07-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Nice crib bro!! That is one sweet ass she has!!

Mik
07-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Lookin' good Elp! I like the choice of brick. Looks like you'll have a bit of a balcony off the MB. Is it still an October move in date?

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys, yeah it's an october move in date. Actually that balcony is in the front, off one of the other bedrooms. The master bedroom is basically half of the entire second floor, and at the back. So those three windows you see in the rear are all my room.

Training: 6:15 am golf. 9 holes, played poorly, missed a 4 foot putt for birdie on a par 3.

My neck was killing me all night, and this morning was also stiff. It's still bothering me now, but I think it's slightly better.

Diet last night was sh!t.

As of friday diet will consist of steak, beer, and sausages as it will be off to the cottage with me. Maybe I'll go swimming for some cardio...

Hopefully with this neck really bothering me, I'll be able to squat tonight, right now I am anticipating quite a bit of pain.

Coke
07-10-2003, 10:08 AM
The new pad is looking so, so sweet. There are gonna be delays but I hope you won't get pushed back too late in the fall...:p

Good luck on the comp, just don't you guys let me be the judge, lol :D

Mik
07-10-2003, 10:13 AM

As of friday diet will consist of steak, beer, and sausages as it will be off to the cottage with me

Mmmmmmmmm, you've got all the staples covered. :drooling:

Bruteman
07-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Nice house ElP! What is the square footage? You probably posted it before but I'm to lazy to look.

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bruteman
Nice house ElP! What is the square footage? You probably posted it before but I'm to lazy to look.

It's a semi-detached, and the square footage for my elevation is 2,294.

Bruteman
07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
:omg: just a little place, huh. I don't think I have even half that!

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Lol, yeah it will be a big change considering I'm in a 1,000 sq. foot condo at the moment. :)

Ok, training tonight, was to be heavy squat and dynamic bench.

My neck was in pain all day long, and my lower back was also extremely sore and burning, and I guess I musta come forward on my toes a bit on deadlifts as my calves were also quite sore. There were other sore parts but nothing too bad. I felt about 20 years older than I actually am, and couldn't quite walk normally. During the slow ride home through traffic all I thought about was getting home and eating dinner and taking a nap. I finally got home, sat down for some dinner, when the phone rang. It was Harnek saying he'd be at the gym in 10 minutes. *grumble* So I had to save dinner for later, made a quick shake and downed it, got changed and went in.

BB Squats:

135x8

135x8 Speed

225x8 Speed

225x4

315x2

365x1 Felt pretty heavy actually

405x1 Felt very heavy actually. Also, didn't require spot for the weight, but I think Harnek helped some as I started to drift forward, so I think he may have slightly guided me back. I'm still not keeping my back straight, so have a tendency to lean forward when I struggle, which is a pretty common squat problem in general.

365x1

225x6

*That's it. I am currently not concerned so much with hitting perfect depth on the heavy-ish singles, I know I am very far from any established max, and am just trying to get my body more accustom to non-sissy weight. So I will continue to push on each week for a bit longer, whether I require spotting or not. Then when I am satisfied I will drop the weight a bit and focus more on hitting legal depth and perfect form and more repetitions. My biggest problem still is explosiveness, not that I expected to learn in a week. I guess I keep looking in the mirror (big mistake) and watching for depth, when I should be dropping relatively quickly, and then blowing back up with no slow-downs or stops. Nevertheless, depth even on the heavy ones were only maybe an inch, inch and a half away from depth. IPF legal depth that is.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10 Variety of regular reps, stretching/pause reps, and explosive reps.

135x10 Done very fast

185x5 Done pretty fast

225x3 Ok, now I've decided I feel like going heavy today, so I decide to not do dynamic work, and just try to push 3 plates, since I nailed 305 on monday

275x1 Easy

315x miss :mad: Bah, I don't think I got under it properly. Lowered it nice and slow, got it an inch or so off the chest and that was it. Very pissed off.

345x1 Negative rep. After missing the 315, Harnek asked if I wanted to try a negative, so he got someone to spot on the sides, and I unracked myself, and tried to lower it as slowly as possible. Didn't do too badly, until maybe 3-5 inches from the chest, then it was much less controlled, if that. So dunno if that close to the chest is a problem with shoulders or chest. I'm guessing shoulders, which have always been my weakness. Once assistance programs get incorporated, shoulders will be one of my priorities.

135x8 Close grip bench, index on edge of smooth, done pretty quick.

**Well, I was disappointed, but I thought 3 plates wouldn't be a problem. I may go for it again on tuesday or I may just do some dynamic work. I'll see how I feel. Perhaps heavy benching twice in a week wasn't the best idea, but I don't see a big problem with this. I have a feeling my squats will fly up, and soon my bench will be the thorn in my side.

That's it.

nismodreams
07-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Hey LP congrats on the house!! looks pretty big!

Also interesting is how you do cool-down sets on the squats and the detailed description of range of motion and errors...my motion gets a little explosive as i approach starting position...dont know what that means but interesting read...
thats a lotta weight man :eek:

JustinF
07-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Nice session bro. Squat weights are really shooting up there! :thumbup:

Franco
07-11-2003, 03:48 AM

My biggest problem still is explosiveness, not that I expected to learn in a week. I guess I keep looking in the mirror (big mistake) and watching for depth, when I should be dropping relatively quickly, and then blowing back up with no slow-downs or stops. Nevertheless, depth even on the heavy ones were only maybe an inch, inch and a half away from depth. IPF legal depth that is.

That's one of the major probs with training as BB, the hips tend to be extremely weak and the posterior chain isn't fully optimised to handle the loads.

Good job thus far anyway Pete, just be consistent:)

Budiak
07-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Nice house. I love the landscaping.

ElPietro
07-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Nice house. I love the landscaping.

Well fukko, there is something called "order of operations," and I doubt that "landscaping" precedes, "driving all over the f*cking property with tractors."

Ok, weekend was good and bad. Weather was sh!tty until sunday. I did some very high volume training. All arm curl drop sets with 330 ml each time. :cool: Finally got to jump in the water sunday, and then did some stupid paddle boating. WTF is the point of this device when we have combustion engines so readily available. :confused:

Ok, tonight I made it to the gym for what would be monday's workout. Rookiebldr showed up.

Started with bench instead of dynamic squat this time.

Flat BB Bench Press:

135x8/225x3/275x3/245x6/215x6*

*Decided not to go for a max, although, it may have been advisable considering I did a negative last week, and was probably geared to do well. But felt drowsy and weak. The last 3 reps of 215 were pause reps, maybe 2 seconds or so.

BB Squats:

135x8 Some regular reps, some pause reps, some fast reps

135x8 Speed set

225x5 Couple regular, couple speed

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x2 Pause set. Ok, the ****ing guy I asked to count was a retard. I said, 'gimme a slow 4 second silent count, then say "up."' So the first rep, I bottom out, and he starts counting out loud, so I go up when he's at 4 or 5, then I tell him to do it in his head. So I go down again, and am sitting bottomed out, wondering when he's going to say "up", but that doesn't happen. So I go up, (with some effort), and ask him wtf, how long was that. He said he was at 7 seconds when I started to come up. I shook my head, obviously the 4 second request was too f*cking much!!! :mad: The persons name shall remain confidential for fear of ruining his fragile WBB reputation. *mutter*

245x3 Speed Set

245x3 Not so speedy set

**Well, I think 245 is fine for speed work. I may keep it here for another week, then add another 10lbs or whatever. I'll see what Harnek thinks of the speed I'm getting.

Went back to chest work. Decided I'd give incline DB press a whirl again. It's been at least 6-8 months since I last did these.

Incline DB Press:

60x8/80x8/90x6

***Hmmm...not too bad for first time back. Will push on these a bit I think. Maybe I'll just do inclines instead of flat, or maybe I'll mix them around. But basically I need to get my chest and shoulders going much better than they are. My tris are seriously overpowering the rest of me I believe.

Reverse Grip, Single Arm Triceps Cable Pulldowns:

70x6/70x5/60x6

Standing DB Extensions:

80x8/80x5

Dips

BWx8/BWx8/BWx8

****Wow, considering I felt pretty fatigued, I did these with tons of speed. Paused on lockout on the last two reps of the first two sets and then the last 4 for the final set. Made things somewhat more difficult. Leaned into each rep well, and had no body sway. I figured I'd have 4-6 reps per set in me, so was pleasantly surprised. I guess I should start adding weight to these.

Well, I think that's it, but not sure. For some reason I feel like I missed something, but probably not. Jeff did well benching, he went for 205 and missed, but I think going outside his comfort zone will help him out in future workouts. I guess we'll have to see. As for me, I may back off on my maxing other than on squats, because they suck, and need to catchup to my dead.

Didn't get to do lats, so I guess I'll do them tomorrow at lunch, along with some feeder work, and if time permits, some cardio and stretching. Tomorrow evening is deads as well, so I'm probably going to be a gimping cripple for thursday morning golf. :eek:

carolinagirl
07-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Wow. And you said that Homey does a lot of volume?????

(And......you know he can't put together a coherent sentence....what the hell made you think he could count to 4???)

(Don't kill me, Rookie! You know I love you!! :D)

rookiebldr
07-15-2003, 09:53 PM
245x2 Pause set. Ok, the ****ing guy I asked to count was a retard. I said, 'gimme a slow 4 second silent count, then say "up."' So the first rep, I bottom out, and he starts counting out loud, so I go up when he's at 4 or 5, then I tell him to do it in his head. So I go down again, and am sitting bottomed out, wondering when he's going to say "up", but that doesn't happen. So I go up, (with some effort), and ask him wtf, how long was that. He said he was at 7 seconds when I started to come up. I shook my head, obviously the 4 second request was too f*cking much!!! :mad: The persons name shall remain confidential for fear of ruining his fragile WBB reputation. *mutter*

My WBB rep isn't that fragile and I knew you would mention this, next time count your own ****ing sets. Clearly you were more pissed then you displayed in the gym. Next time why don't you throw some ****ing 45's around and get it off your chest! You asked me to count them. I didn't hear you say tell me when to come up. I'm old and likely can't hear with out hearing aids in the gym with you mumbling at the wall instead of me. I misunderstood this, so sue me. Now :mad:

Jeff did well benching, he went for 205 and missed, but I think going outside his comfort zone will help him out in future workouts. I guess we'll have to see.

Thanks for the spots and the tips. I still have alot of work to do to get this exploding off my chest, there is just no strength there at the bottom. Also, as we discussed after all the bb pressing sets, the form is wrong since I'm pushing back up towards my head instead of over the chest area likely causing the delts to work more and the chest to work less. Despite the above, it was a good workout and it was great to get together again. :cool:

Budiak
07-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Pfft. I guess SOMEONE's never heard of Frank Gehry.

rookiebldr
07-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
(And......you know he can't put together a coherent sentence....what the hell made you think he could count to 4???)

(Don't kill me, Rookie! You know I love you!! :D) [/B]

:swear:

ElPietro
07-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Wow. And you said that Homey does a lot of volume?????

Hey, there is a difference. I only did 10 working sets on chest. Sure I did a lot of work, but no single bodypart suffered more than an average workout. It's just that I squat and bench in the same day. I was actually one set less than normal on squats, as it's generally 8 sets of 3 with short rest breaks. But if I throw in a pause set or whatever, sometimes I will take a set off.

ElPietro
07-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Forgot to mention diet was solid yesterday.

Just over 2300 calories, with 44% protein, 39% fat, and 17% carbs. Final meal was missed, so I had to get some final cals in via a protein shake, a tablespoon of olive oil, and 4 kraft singles. :)

Also, for the past 2 weeks now, I've had these two cool scabs that form a "V" in the middle of my upper back from the squat bar. It seems like this will be a never healing wound considering I'm squatting twice a week now. I think that's the coolest thing ever. :cool:

ElPietro
07-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Ok, went to the gym this afternoon. Since I didn't do lats last night, I decided to do them today, with a couple feeder exercises, and some cardio.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/190x8/190x8/190x6

HS High Row:

230x8/250x6

Single Arm DB Row:

120x8/120x8

Pec Dec Flies:

50x30

Angled Bar Triceps Cable Pushdowns:

95x20

Jumped on the ellyptical for 15 minutes and worked up quite a sweat.

Did about 5 minutes of stretching and started feeling sick so went and hit the showers.

This gym won't let me renew with a part-time membership at a reduced cost, so dunno what I'll do when september ends. They are being bought out by extreme fitness, and extreme is investing $500,000 in upgrades and new equipment, so I'll see how things look next month. Hopefully extreme has some form of part-time membership that I can sign up for, otherwise bye bye to any lunch time workouts. :(

Dedlifs tonight. :)

Coke
07-16-2003, 12:16 PM
I don't know your complete situation but it looks like you could only go in at certain times such as lunch hour etc... now that is a good deal and a rare one at that, so good luck. Who knows it may be possible to swing it with the new owners :)

Meanwhile, it sure looks like you mean business - Big Bro better look out... :D

ElPietro
07-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah, now I do mean business. Diet has been spot on for two days now, a world record for me I think, and I've weight trained 3 times in two days. :eek:

Well, I'm sipping my postworkout shake after deadlift day. I enjoyed this session.

Deadlifts:

135x8 Conventional

135x5 Sumos, with toes an inch off the plates on either side

225x6 Conventional, very fast

225x3 Sumos, same as above

315x3 Conventional

315x1 Sumo, same as previous

405x2 Conventional, reset between reps

545x miss Conventional, I got this b!tch up to my knees and put it down. Harnek said he thought I'd get it, but saw that my fingers somewhat unravelled, and that the main reason I didn't get it, was that I had the bar way too far away from my legs, causing me to lean drastically forward, which would put too much pressure on the lower back. I was disappointed since usually if i get it that far I make it, so to lose it on either some bad grip that I had for that rep, and coupled with a technique flaw, was a bit disheartening, but also made me pleased, since I feel comfortable I can hit that weight. I guess considering I squatted yesterday, and also did lats and ellyptical this afternoon, I wasn't anywhere near full recovery anyway. So all this makes me feel encouraged.

495x1 Conventional, after I failed 545 and listened to Harnek, I pulled off the 25s, and after 45 seconds attempted 5 plates. It was slow but it came up. Harnek said that I made the adjustment, and the bar travelled much closer up my leg. I felt it brush on my knees at least.

495x1 Muhahaha, I was just pacing around and nobody did anything to the bar, so Harnek asked if I was waiting to do another, so I did. Same decent form, slow but complete. This was after maybe 1.5 to 2 minutes rest. So in a matter of 3 minutes give or take 30 seconds, I made a half rep 545 pull, and two 5 plate pulls. I was pretty happy with myself. :)

315x2 Sumo stance

225x15 Very fast, maybe 20 seconds for the whole thing. Harnek was teaching a couple guys that helped at the meet, and they thought I was still working in, so when they pointed at the bar as if to say "go ahead" I figured I'd throw that in.

Pulldown Abs:

Stack x20 on the Pulley station (not enough weight)

All the lat pulleys had seats, if I did these beyond the seat, there wasn't enough cable to do the full ROM before the weights smashed into the top. I finally removed the seat, and with my head almost banging into the metal seat holder, could do a full ROM, just.

95x8/105x6/95x8

DB Side Bends:

75x8/75x8

Well, I don't know what I will be more crippled from when I wake up at 5 am to make it for 6:15 am golf tomorrow morning. The heavy bench and dynamic squats last night, the heavy lats this afternoon, or heavy deads, maybe the ellyptical?

Mik
07-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Nice pulling Elp! That's some good weight, sounds like you'll get 545 next time for sure.

ElPietro
07-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks man. I'm not sure if I might back off on the singles, and work more on doubles and triples for a while. Although, I know I'll want to continue maxing, Harnek doesn't think it's all that great an idea to keep up with.

All I really want right now is for my squat to keep going up, which it will, but I want to get my squat up to where I think it shoudl be, in relation to my deadlift. Everyone who pulls what I pull is squatting at least 500, so I figure I should at least come close to this after some extensive focus.

I am thinking that if I add 100lbs to my squat, that it will have an impact on my deadlift to some degree as well. I don't expect 100lbs overnight, but I think that I haven't ever pushed myself, so maybe in a years time this is a reasonable goal. Right now, I just want to get to 450 at competition depth, which is maybe a 4-6 month goal. I feel I can achieve this quite easily barring any injury.

JustinF
07-17-2003, 04:53 AM
I have no doubt you'll be at 450 by then.

Nice pulls. You're a strong MOFO!! :D

IceRgrrl
07-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Nice workout! That's a helluva lot of heavy lifting...but it sounds like you were pleased with the outcome and that is always a great feeling :)

(I still can't believe you get up that goddamn early for golf...oh well, I suppose everyone is allowed their personal weirdnesses :p)

ElPietro
07-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks Justin. :)

And wow, look who decided to drop in, to what do I owe this seemingly rare but cherished occurence madam hockeygirl? :p

Yeah, it seems somewhat strange, to be happy missing a PR attempt, but I pretty much know I can hit that weight so no biggie. I was debating 545, then told harnek just to put two 10s on, but he looked around and didn't see any close by, so I just said f*ck it, put the quarters on. I think even with pulling too far from the legs, I may have gotten it up had I gone for 535, but the fact that I got as far as I did on 545 made me happy.

As for golf, golf is good, so getting up for golf is a good idea. Although, I f*cking 3 putt from f*cking 10 feet for birdie this morning! :swear: My thursday is now officially ruined. :mad:

rookiebldr
07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Nice lifting Pete, good thing I wasn't there spotting and ruining your workout otherwise, I'm sure 495 would have been a waste as well. :(

WillKuenzel
07-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
Nice lifting Pete, good thing I wasn't there spotting and ruining your workout otherwise, I'm sure 495 would have been a waste as well. :( Hell, you'd probably have pissed him off enough to lift 600. :p

That's one... two.... three.... four.... :D

chris mason
07-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Good job on the deadlifts.

ElPietro
07-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Well, I'm in a pretty god damned sh!tty mood today. I ate pretty poorly yesterday, plenty of carbs, some doritos was really the only junk food i ate, but i stepped on the god damned scale this morning and it said 240! :mad: So from the end of my cut with cal to now, I am back up 5lbs. Good job cutting so far retard! *pats self on back* I guess I haven't really gotten a grip on things yet, but this really sucks. On top of that, there was no f*cking hot water this morning, which made washing and shaving a real b!tch.

I figured getting more calories and some good sleep would be a good idea since I'd pushed things pretty hard the last few days, but it still sucks that I'm up where I am, instead of down where I thought I could be.

I will cancel my thai boxing membership today, and maybe go for some session at the new place I plan on joining tomorrow. I need to get my fat ass on some form of cardio program. I guess i may take new pics too, since the new fatter me is the one that's having this contest.

Oh well, heavy squats/dynamic bench tonight.

ElPietro
07-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Here's yesterday's squat workout. Decided not to bench.

Squats:

135x8 Fast

135x6 Really fast

225x6 Fast

315x2 I recorded these reps with my cam. After looking, I wasn't quite to parallel. I still have a long way to go with form, as I am leaning forward instead of sitting back still, which will make it practically impossible to hit true parallel with big weight.

375x1 Tried to do this much faster, and Harnek said speed was improved.

425x Miss Nope, needed quite a bit of help

*Bleh, I was disappointed that 425 was much tougher than I expected. Not sure if my stance was off or whatever. I'm trying to lear to take one step back with each leg and be ready to squat, without looking down at my feet to check for positioning. I expected to fail and I know it's still a matter of keeping my back straight and sitting back. So maybe I'll learn some day.

We decided to try some quarter squats.

Quarter Squat:

405x Miss

**Bah, I was kinda laughing, as I was told to do it quick, and if it got caught on the pins too long I'd never get it up, and that's what happened, then started sliding the bar all along the pins trying to push it up. Was sorta pissed but amused at my weak ass at the same time.

Walkouts:

455x 5 seconds/495x 7 seconds

***Just unrack the weight onto your back, get into a stance to squat with head up, and wait for the slow count, the rerack. 455 felt like nothing, but 495 was definitely more stressful. Just getting the body used to heavy weight on it. I'll go much heavier next time I think.

Squats:

225x8

****Well, quads were tired, but lol, the 2 plates on my back felt like air after the walkouts. I was just tired from squatting so I even if I did have just the bar I woulda tired out pretty quick.

Well, I was pretty disappointed, but realize that my body has never had these loads on it before for squats. So limitations from the CNS is probably the main factor, and add in still crappy form and there are my two problems. CNS is easy to overcome, but less than great form will require probalby quite a bit of time to fix.

ElPietro
07-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Ok, today was dynamic squat/heavy bench day.

Squats:

135x8

135x6 Fast

225x6

255x3 Speed set

255x3 Speed set

255x3 Speed set

255x3 Speed set

225x3 Speed set

225x3 Paused reps, first two were 5 second pauses at the bottom, and then a 4 second. Harnek counts f*cking slow! Saw black things move across my vision after I racked the weight.

225x2 4 second pause reps

225x3 Not so speed set, legs felt like jelly

*Man, my shoulders take about 10 minutes minimum to get semi warmed up. I need to buy a broom stick or something to work the flexibility in them. Also, elbows started hurting. Felt pretty sh!tty. I think that I got the weight right. I may have done more at 255, but not sure now. I need to start bringing a notepad.

Bench:

135x8

135x8

225x5

275x3 Lockout on third was a bit slow, otherwise woulda tried a 4th.

255x3 Bah, I need a notebook. I'm pretty sure it was 255, not 265.

245x4

235x4

225x8

225x7 I was surprised I got 7, when I got it locked, I waited for a bit contemplating 8, but decided to rack it.

135x8 Close grip, index finger bordering the smooth part

135x10 Wide grip

**Well, my elbows were humming after each set. No increase in pain, just a constant buzzing pain of what i'd guess to be inflamed joints. I guess the squatting and benching is too much all at once given shoudler flexibility probably causing undue strain on the elbows. Wrists are pretty good though, so that's cool. I will probably miss the next few friday workouts in terms of what I'd normally do. So maybe that will be the break I need.

This b!tchass workout took forever, so I had planned on doing lats after it, but that wasn't going to happen. So I guess tomorrow is refeed/lats/cardio day at lunchtime. :)

rookiebldr
07-21-2003, 09:02 PM
225x3 Paused reps, first two were 5 second pauses at the bottom, and then a 4 second. Harnek counts f*cking slow! Saw black things move across my vision after I racked the weight.

Maybe he is just counting to 7. ;)

the doc
07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
man yeah i hurt my elbow and it really was a pain for a while but has benn getting better

Franco
07-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Are you following the principles of westside with regards to the speed squat?

Hows your form on the bench now your into powerlifting?

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Not really, if you mean doing a cycle of percentages of 1rm. I think the concept of speed/explosive work is an old method that works. I am using basically weight that is close to I guess 50-60% of 1rm, but am more concerned with how explosive it is. For me, I didn't think after 3 or 4 sets, the explosiveness was enough with 255, so I dropped the weight.

To me westside is just another powerlifting routine, with good marketing, and a lot of opportunities to buy their products.

Bench form is improving. I learned to sorta walk my feet back a bit before starting a set, to get tighter and force a bit of an arch. Flexibility probably could be better, and arch needs work. I also need to find a groove and grip width I like. I tend to come down too close to upper pecs on weight that I struggle a bit with, which is probably why I struggle with it. Feels so much more powerful when I remember to do the things I need to, such as lower it at the bottom of the pec or lower, and try to power through the bottom, etc.

I'm just starting, so I know I need to just keep going and make things more of a habit.

IceRgrrl
07-22-2003, 09:12 AM

*Man, my shoulders take about 10 minutes minimum to get semi warmed up. I need to buy a broom stick or something to work the flexibility in them. Also, elbows started hurting. Felt pretty sh!tty. I think that I got the weight right. I may have done more at 255, but not sure now. I need to start bringing a notepad.

Good idea...get a broomstick or a length of PVC pipe and try those wide grip shoulder rotations that I do for a dynamic stretch/warmup. Grab the stick wide enough so that your arms are almost straight (but elbows not locked) and then rotate the bar from your stomach to overhead to your lower back, slow and controlled. It gives your whole upper body a good stretch and gets the blood moving...chest, shoulders, arms, back...I do two sets of 10 along with some other warmups and it really helps. :)

WillKuenzel
07-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Also fill the PVC pipe full of concrete. That'd be cool.

IceRgrrl
07-22-2003, 09:21 AM
LOL! It's supposed to be a stretch/warm up, Homey, not a working set :p But that IS a cool idea for homemade weigh stuff...throw in a few cylinder heads and concrete blocks and lengths of 6 x 6 pressure-treated wood and you can have a ton of fun. And big tow chains are cool too...though I can never resist the urge to drape them all around me and stagger around muttering, "Scrooge...Ebenezer Scrooge!" ala the ghost of Jacob Marley...but then I'm weird and read too much :angel:

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Well I need to stretch my shoulders, not my torso. I kinda need to do the exact opposite of what you were saying. I need to bring my hand position as close to my body as possible. So yeah, I'll probably start off far, but need to bring them in. This enables a proper back arch, and allows you to keep your elbows up. This is needed to also keep the bar as close to the knees and hips as possible. The closer all 3 are in alignment, the less the distance of the lever arm is, which means the weight will not be as heavy. The further out of alignment the more the lower back will have to work, which is the weak link in the movement when the bar gets too far out in front of the hips.

But I was thinking of pipe, although, it doesn't really matter what I use. I'll just go to a build-it center tonight and pickup whatever is there, and is cheapest.

carolinagirl
07-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Overhead squats. :evillaugh:

IceRgrrl
07-22-2003, 10:03 AM
It's warm-up, El P, not a lift. What I was suggesting was not meant to mimic a specific lift or the form for it, just to get everything loosened up BEFORE you do anything more specific. And it does stretch the shoulders, believe me...

At first reading, I had no idea what you were going on about with "elbows up" and proper alignment and back arch and lever arm and all that...but then I figured it ou...*you* seem to have missed my point and are talking about your form on squats while *I* was talking about a general warm-up stretch...so we're off on two completely different tangents. You're not listening to me again... :tuttut:

IceRgrrl
07-22-2003, 10:05 AM

That's the other part of my dynamic warmup, actually :p I do a few sets of body weight squats with the bar/pole/stick/pipe heald overhead in a wide snatch grip...this gets the whole lower body all warmed up and stretched before lifting :)

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Ok, warmup is not a problem. I actually stretch and warmup my shoulders for 10-15 minutes before I start squatting, as the pain is quite significant. When I try to get too close the stretch from my shoulders starts to put a lot of strain on my elbows, which then hurts for a day or so, and probably impacts my bench. So I am talking about working on overall shoulder flexibility at home. I think at the gym I work the shoulder from every imaginable angle to warmup. I even grip and just hold the bar on my back for a time or two without lifting it to warmup. So that isn't the problem. I could probably get away with much less warmup once I get flexibility to improve. And poo to you, you can't say I'm not listening to you, for your suggestion which isn't what I was speaking of in the first place. I could say YOU weren't listening to ME! Typical tactics here, trying to shift the blame. I see what's going on... ;)

Pfft!

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 10:21 AM
That's it, I'm going to go get pipe now, I'll go to the gym after work and avoid the traffic.

IceRgrrl
07-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Ok, warmup is not a problem. I actually stretch and warmup my shoulders for 10-15 minutes before I start squatting, as the pain is quite significant. When I try to get too close the stretch from my shoulders starts to put a lot of strain on my elbows, which then hurts for a day or so, and probably impacts my bench. So I am talking about working on overall shoulder flexibility at home. I think at the gym I work the shoulder from every imaginable angle to warmup. I even grip and just hold the bar on my back for a time or two without lifting it to warmup. So that isn't the problem. I could probably get away with much less warmup once I get flexibility to improve. And poo to you, you can't say I'm not listening to you, for your suggestion which isn't what I was speaking of in the first place. I could say YOU weren't listening to ME! Typical tactics here, trying to shift the blame. I see what's going on... ;)

Well you didn't tell us all that crap about your warmups beforehand now, did you? I'm good at a lot of things, but I don't read minds or see into the crystal ball... :p You just like to whine, admit it! :D

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Hey dumbass, you quoted the exact line where I mentioned I need a minimum of 10 minutes warmup on the shoulders before I'm ready to squat. So you have no recourse other than to admit you are wrong. Must we go through these exercises routinely? I thought we had established that I am always right, and there is no point in debating it any longer. :p

Anyway, mission accomplished. I purchased 1/4" ABS x6'. Whatever the f*ck it is, it's 6' long and sturdy enough I guess. Dunno if ABS is similar to PVC but it seems fine to me. Also stopped and looked at a buncha barbecues I'll never be able to afford, and then bought some golf balls. Balata balls to be precise. :cool:

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Well, went to the gym after work. The plan was to do lats, biceps, and some feeder work for chest/tris, and then a spot 'o cardio.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/200x8/200x8/180x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

HS High Rows:

260x6

*Whoah horsey! :cry: My elbows flared up right away. I guess I first of all shoulda worked up to the heavy set a bit first, but thought my lats were already worked. What I didn't think about was how the previous exercises were both done with a neutral grip, so no harm on the elbow, but high rows are done with a supinated grip, which means I have to twist the elbows for the underhand grip. I unloaded the weight and gave up. My hands were shaking a bit, and my elbows were buzzing crazily. I was...upset. :mad:

Jumped on a bike for about a minute and a half before an ellyptical freed up.

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical, sweat pretty good. Lactic tolerance is poor right now, I'd hate to see me at a thai boxing class these days.

Stretched for about 5-10 minutes pretty good, and that was all she wrote.

Got home and polished up my nice new piece of ABS pipe. From here on out, this pipe shall be referred to as the SHOULDER BLASTER 6000.

A picture of the SHOULDER BLASTER 6000 can be found at the bottom of the page. Perhaps I will get Dave Tate, and Louie Simmons to market this as an official westside training tool. I could get countless 600lb squatters offering testimonial on how the SHOULDER BLASTER 6000 helped get them to 700. :D

Anyway, I will not be squatting again until next week, so maybe I'll stretch things out a bit in the mornings and evenings, and will maybe skip dynamic squats on monday if I find flexibility hasn't allowed the pain to go away.

carolinagirl
07-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Is there such a thing as a 12-step program for people who are addicted to their digital cameras?

I'm not saying you need one, or anything. I'm just wondering.

ElPietro
07-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Is there such a thing as a 12-step program for people who are addicted to their digital cameras?

I'm not saying you need one, or anything. I'm just wondering.

carolinagirl
07-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Wow! I was just expecting the :mad: guy.....or maybe :swear:!

But this way you got to use the camera. Should have seen that one coming.

rookiebldr
07-22-2003, 11:11 PM
LMFAO.

:( My camera broke.

ElPietro
07-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Ok, too many parts hurt right now, so I decided that I'd only do deadlifts for deadlift day.

Deadlifts:

135x8

135x4 Sumo

225x6

315x5

405x1

465x1 Felt real easy.

555x miss Lol! Ok, I must be an arrogant sumbitch to think I could pull 10lbs more than the weight I failed last time. :p I don't think I even got tight for this rep, got it maybe 1/3 of the ROM, and kept fighting whilst my back was in it's weakest position, and finally resigned to failure. I swore then started laughing. I will back off for the next couple sessions for sure. Although, I keep saying that and don't. Oh well, I felt a lot of eyes on me, and I hate to disappoint the crowd...but what can you do.

495x1 Slow.

405x4 Full reset after each rep. I think this makes it WAY harder. You don't feel any effect from deadlifts it seems, until you try to stand fully erect, and then your lower back decides to b!tchslap you. I'm sure I coulda done more, each rep was tough, but I think the 4th rep felt almost the same difficulty-wise as the first.

405x2 Full reset.

Well, I think that's it. I have golf at 6:15am tomorrow. Hopefully I can get all 9 holes in. Some prick bumped our quarterly meeting to 8:45 instead of 9am, so that f*cking sucks. The guys infront better be quick, or they may not make it off the course. :evillaugh

As far as cutting goes, it's not. As far as I can tell in the mirror, everything's pretty good, but on the scale i'm 4lbs heavier than I was at the end of my last cut when I posted the pics. So maybe I'll have to take some pictures in a week in similar poses to get a better comparison. Cardio needs to become more of a focus. I'm gonna get shafted into paying another month of thai boxing membership cuz I was too slow to cancel on time, so maybe I'll take advantage of that.

Also, working at the club tomorrow night, then cottage friday, so no more training till monday, other than 330ml arm curls. :cool:

carolinagirl
07-23-2003, 07:20 PM
How are the elbows doing today? They better not interfere with your golf swing. :angel:

Bruteman
07-23-2003, 09:08 PM
so no more training till monday, other than 330ml arm curls. :cool:

Make sure to use both arms equally, so you don't overdevelope one! :D

ElPietro
07-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, alternating curls would be best. :cool:

Well, as for golf, I shot a 39!!!

Yeah biotch, that's only +5! Out of nine holes I shot 6 at par, and then had two double bogies and a bogie. I three putt one long birdie putt, lipped out one on the par 5, and just missed my third try for birdie on the final hole by an inch or two.

Wedges were going great, some tee shots were errant but the short game saved me. Total balls donated to the course: 0 :)

Then golf was proceeded by our all morning long quarterly meeting from f*cking hell.

Oh well, it's over now.

IceRgrrl
07-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey dumbass, you quoted the exact line where I mentioned I need a minimum of 10 minutes warmup on the shoulders before I'm ready to squat. So you have no recourse other than to admit you are wrong. Must we go through these exercises routinely? I thought we had established that I am always right, and there is no point in debating it any longer. :p

And I also thought we established that you are allowed to hold you misguided opinion about always being right... :p I can indulge you a little on that point. And for someone who "skims" through other people's journals/posts, you sure expect the rest of us to hang on every since word/detail of YOURS. The vague phrase 10 min. of warmups does not provide any detail of what said warmups consist of so pfft! to you :D

ElPietro
07-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

And for someone who "skims" through other people's journals/posts, you sure expect the rest of us to hang on every since word/detail of YOURS.

Yes. :)

Ok, heading out for the cottage in a minute.

Went to the club to work last night, but in the end, they didn't need me. So my bud gave me half a nights pay, and then I went and drank until 1:30 am. So that was a long day, getting up at 5am for golf, and not getting to bed until 2 am after drinking. Was kinda hungover coming into work today. I guess it's just a mild primer for the weekend. :cool:

Relentless
07-25-2003, 01:06 PM
if your golf game gets much better, you'll have to start wearing a tam o shanter, knee shorts and a pink sweater draped around your shoulders

IceRgrrl
07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
if your golf game gets much better, you'll have to start wearing a tam o shanter, knee shorts and a pink sweater draped around your shoulders

I most certainly agree :D

carolinagirl
07-27-2003, 09:04 AM
I'll cast my vote with Cal and IceR on that one! :D

ElPietro
07-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Hey gang, welcome to the land of STFU! Please feel free to STFU at your earliest convenience! :)

Well, weighed in at 241 today. :mad: Of course this is on the Tanita that I believe is 5lbs more than any other scale on the face of the earth. But in relative weight I've gone up a few pounds on this cut. So now I am going to have to bring the pain, and will have to get back to a more torturous weekly routine. :mad:

Diet's been sh!t. :mad:

Barely any cardio. :mad:

ElPietro
07-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Working out on my own today, so splitting things up with lunch and afterwork.

Did heavy chest at lunch, and plan to go back for dynamic squat and maybe lats after work.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x5/275x4/245x7+1/225x6/225x6

*Sweet, an extra rep at 275. Everything was pretty fast and solid. The 8th rep of 245 was just a bit of fingertip assist, nothing more. It seemed today I was getting through my usual sticking point, and then stalling a tad near lockout. This is something new, but I am liking it. I think I am getting the form for bench much more naturally now, and forming a good groove. Hopefully if I can keep the volume up a bit I will learn this habit better, and can then apply more appropriately to max attempts.

Then did a couple supersets with wide and close grip. Wide grip was with my hands at the edge of the rack on either side, and close was index finger fully on the smooth part of the bar.

135x8 close/135x6 wide
135x8 wide/135x6 close

Wide grip really did me in, I think that grip work will give end up helping me quite a bit.

Man, I felt pretty damned drained afterward. Just coming back to EC after a few days off, and didn't take it much all last week anyway. I had my third dose just before workout. My chest, shoulders and tris were super swollen from the workout, and that looked pretty cool, but I also had a "bile burp" when I was leaving too, so that kinda summed up how I was feeling. Considering I'm used to doing only two working sets on bench, I think this is slowly going to help me out more.

IceRgrrl
07-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey gang, welcome to the land of STFU! Please feel free to STFU at your earliest convenience! :)

Now you KNOW well and good that is not going to happen, so why torture yourself? :p

And thanks for sharing the "bile burp" with all of us...that was really quite unnecessary! :swear:

ElPietro
07-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Yes, in the interest of completeness it was totally necessary.

Well, went to the gym yet again today, to do dynamic squats and some lat work.

Squats:

135x6

135x6 Pretty fast

225x6 Pretty fast

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

245x3 Speed set

225x2 Paused set. 5 seconds. Had some guy come and count. Funny he did it just fine.

225x2 Paused set. 4-5 seconds each.

225x5

*Ok, my lower back was screaming about half way through all this. I may skip deadlifts on wednesday and do other crap. I also felt sorta sick. Well, more than sorta sick.

DB Rows:

75x8/120x8/120x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

200x8/200x8/180x6

**Wow. I could barely see. My face felt on fire, and my stomach was threatening me. I felt completely overheated and noxious. I guess overdoing it with EC first day back and doing two workouts with little food is not the smartest thing I coulda done.

I sat in my car for a few minutes since I was feeling really crappy. Then driving I almost pulled over thinking I was going to pass out. Luckily things slowly got better, although it was worse if I put my sunglasses on, so I kept them off and squinted all the way home. Bleh.

ElPietro
07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Well, I was too lazy to go to thai boxing as usual, so I forced myself to the gym for a bit of a mishmash session of parts that could use some work and didn't necessarily hurt.

Standing BB Military Press:

bar x8/bar x8/135x6/135x6/135x3

*Wow, felt weak as hell. Haven't done much for shoulders and they propabaly were still recovering from bench on monday, so who knows.

Single Arm Reverse Grip Triceps Pulldowns:

Warmed up with two speedy sets of the stack on two hand pushdowns.

65x5/65x5/55x8

**Again with the weakness.

Standing Calf Raise:

8 plates x8/12 plates x8/16 plates x8/20 plates x6/16 plates x6/14 plates x8/12 plates x8 (speed)

***Still felt really weak. Everything was a struggle. Just felt like there was no energy.

Concentration Curls:

40x6

Didn't do anymore on this either. Just went to the ellyptical, and did 15 minutes. Got a good sweat going. After the ellyptical did maybe 5 minutes of stretching and that was it.

I guess this was better than nothing. Barely.

carolinagirl
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I think maybe you're getting sick.

Maybe you really do have SARS.

ElPietro
07-30-2003, 12:00 AM
Take off eh! Hoser!

Man I hate it when I can't sleep. :mad:

Oh well, I shall now travel the three feet required to get back into bed so I can stare at the ceiling for another hour. :(

WillKuenzel
08-04-2003, 09:22 AM
I now have somebody's cell phone number. :evillaugh

If you get any prank calls, they aren't from me. :angel:

ElPietro
08-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Nope, I think that was my home number, so chances are you won't even get me on the phone if you tried. And I'm moving soon so it will be changed. Ha! You got nothin punk! :D

ElPietro
08-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Ok, I need to bloody well get in gear regarding this cutting contest. I don't know how I get anywhere in life considering that it takes antics such as this to get me motivated, and even then I will slack and procrastinate until the last possible opportunity. I have gone through my entire life being the kid teachers would shake their heads at, saying potential this, potential that, but never have I pushed myself. Will I push myself now? How the f*ck should I know, all I know is I need to get back to my torturous regime that only gives my body one option, and that is to drop the fat, well...either that or spontaneously combust.

Harnek is away reffing a comp in quebec, so training on my own until friday, then we shall sit down and put together a proper powerlifting routine, complete with me having to pick out some meet to train towards. I'm not sure how good he is at making plifting programs, I know I am clueless. Oh well, for now I am just going to do a strength block, and hopefully keep that up for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, there is a bloody point to this post, I went to the gym at lunch and did some bench work.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8/225x4/285x3+1/245x7/225x7

*Well I was pleased with this. Last week I went up a rep at 275x4, and was hoping for 285x3. I would like to say the 4th was all mine, but the spotter touched the bar, and said he helped a smidge for a second, so would I have gotten it? Maybe not. But I was satisfied, and the first two reps actually went up really fast. First reps was also slow on the negative with a very brief pause on the bottom. I didn't plan it, but for some reason, 285 felt really light going down. I think this may be a result of improving my bench form as well, I feel like I am getting a very tight arch, and will try to even tighten it and expand the chest more with each rep.

I also did 135x8/135x4 close grip/wide grip, and then 135x8/135x4 wide grip/close grip. Man these killed me. Wide grip really gets my pecs burning, I think this may help me out more, as varying the grips feels like it's helping me out, but who knows.

Incline DB Press:

90x4

**Bleh, ok well, I was fookin exhausted I guess, so I didn't bother dropping the weight a bit and repping out another set or two. I will probably have a chest day later this week anyway.

Did a whopping 7 minutes on the bike and that was it.

JustinF
08-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Feel free to keep procrastinating. :p I guess you're not gonna let me have this easy are ya?

ElPietro
08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
What's your home address. I think I'll air mail you some Jalepeno Cheddar Doritos. ;)

I still need to cut back down to where I was from last contest still, so gotta play catchup a bit. I COULD take new pictures, but I am too lazy. And I'd rather try to beat where I was before, rather than just improve on what I am now.

IceRgrrl
08-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Ok, I need to bloody well get in gear regarding this cutting contest. I don't know how I get anywhere in life considering that it takes antics such as this to get me motivated, and even then I will slack and procrastinate until the last possible opportunity. I have gone through my entire life being the kid teachers would shake their heads at, saying potential this, potential that, but never have I pushed myself. Will I push myself now? How the f*ck should I know, all I know is I need to get back to my torturous regime that only gives my body one option, and that is to drop the fat, well...either that or spontaneously combust.

I still think it's something to do with internal vs. external motivation. You seem to respond to the external motivation via contests, challenges, etc. but maybe you just haven't figured out what really motivates you internally...and that might be key, since the majority of motivation (and the really powerful kind) comes from inside...there's only so much you can do with external prodding. Something to ponder next time you have insomnia, anyways :)

WillKuenzel
08-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Did a whopping 7 minutes on the bike and that was it. LOL!! Don't do too much there! We'd hate for you to just fade away. :p

ElPietro
08-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

I still think it's something to do with internal vs. external motivation. You seem to respond to the external motivation via contests, challenges, etc. but maybe you just haven't figured out what really motivates you internally...and that might be key, since the majority of motivation (and the really powerful kind) comes from inside...there's only so much you can do with external prodding. Something to ponder next time you have insomnia, anyways :)

Ok, I'll think on that tonight as I stare at my ceiling fan. ;)

LOL!! Don't do too much there! We'd hate for you to just fade away. :p

Yes, I have to be very careful I don't overdue it. With my slim girlish figure, I could easily become stick-like in appearance if I'm not too careful. I would hate to start looking like some anorexic fashion model because I did something foolish, like 10 minutes on the bike instead of 7. :eek:

ElPietro
08-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Man, I feel like a sack of sh!t. I don't know why it is I feel so overheated after my workouts, and sick to the stomach. Sure it's ok for intensity, but for some reason it seems like the ephedrine is hitting me way harder than it normally would. Or maybe it's lack of food in the morning, I dunno. I'll have to work that out, or maybe find another source of food when I get to work. I'm outta bars so I'll pick up a box this weekend I guess.

Went in to do some lat work today.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/200x8/200x6/180x8

HS High Rows:

180x8/270x6/250x6

*I only listed two working sets, but think I did three. I keep forgetting the journal I got to keep track of workouts better. So that's great, I forget sets, and the thing I go out and get to remember what I did is the thing I forget! :mad:

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

40x8(7 on left)/35x8(6 on left)

**Wow, really damned weak. I guess I should expect that when I've done one or two sets on arms in the past month or two.

DB Hammer Curls:

35x8/35x8

That's it.

Bleh.

Bam Bam
08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
damn peit i was checking several pages back i like the swuats for speed

ElPietro
08-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Yeah they kick the sh!t out of me. I will get back to doing those soon. Just that my training partner is away and my schedule got a bit messed up. Also no time to do all that on lunch break.

Try some pause squats too, they really kill.

ElPietro
08-07-2003, 06:31 AM
F*CK GOLF! :mad:

JustinF
08-07-2003, 07:02 AM

:nod:

Relentless
08-07-2003, 07:03 AM
awwww, did you get a stain on your pink golf sweater, pumpkin?

ElPietro
08-07-2003, 07:14 AM
F@g

IceRgrrl
08-07-2003, 02:46 PM

Evil habit....dump it and get another one :D

ElPietro
08-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Ok, how about hitting on internet chicks?

IceRgrrl
08-07-2003, 03:06 PM
I thought you already did that :scratch:

carolinagirl
08-07-2003, 07:29 PM
I think you should stick with golf.

Shane
08-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Ditch golf LP. Golf is the tool of the devil!

I like the speed squats too.

ElPietro
08-08-2003, 06:55 AM
Golf is good, except when it seems that you forget how to play for an entire god damned round. Oh well, I was very disgruntled, so I just into a zombie and walked the course, taking my swings without aiming or practicing first, and putting one handed. I even just one-handed a birdie putt without lining it up, so that shows how much I truly cared.

Yes, speed squats are gud.

Harnek should be back today, so I should get some squatting in tonight.

Franjipani
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
What's your home address. I think I'll air mail you some Jalepeno Cheddar Doritos. ;)

:nod: totally scrumptious

You boys were a right laugh the way you made sure you ate exactly the same amount of doritos and salad.....heehee

Cracked me up:D

Mik
08-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Shane
Ditch golf LP. Golf is the tool of the devil!

I like the speed squats too.

I bring dbs and do walking lunges from hole to hole. Maybe that's why my game sucks! ;)

What do you normally shoot Elp?

ElPietro
08-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Well, I haven't been out to shoot 18 holes yet this year, everything has been in the morning on this pretty easy 9 hole course. Generally, I think I'm a low to mid 90s golfer, but have shot in the 80s on occaision. I think I've improved but haven't been out consistently for 18 for the past couple years. It's hard to find the time.

Speaking of which, after a weekend of complete sloth, I managed to drag my sorry ass to the gym for some cardio bunny action. Did 20 minutes on the ellyptical, and then did maybe 10 minutes of stretching. It was so hard to walk into the gym and go to the cardio section, instead of head to the weights. I still need to formulate a routine but I'll do that tonight I think with Harnek. Hopefully he has some ideas, as I'm not very well versed in plifting programs.

WillKuenzel
08-11-2003, 02:01 PM
I still have a hard time imagining you playing golf. I see some big brute lumbering around the course, cursing at everything and breaking clubs in half. :p

carolinagirl
08-11-2003, 05:04 PM
I still have a hard time imagining you playing golf. I see some big brute lumbering around the course, cursing at everything and breaking clubs in half. :p

Isn't that exactly what he does? :scratch:

Good luck getting the new routine together tonight, elP.

ElPietro
08-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey John Daly golfs!

Well trained with Harnek, but we were a bit rushed. We'll formulate something of a routine starting monday. Really all it's gonna be is incorporating some assistance lifts. We'll be doing a medium strength training block, so lifting near failure 5 rep weights for what I'm guessing will be 3-5 sets. Those will be the heavy days, and of course there will still be speed days as well. Or that's how I figure it'll go. I'll probably drop the reps to 2-4 for deads though, but may just stick to learning sumos for a month, and give my lower back more of a break. I'm gonna try to pick a competition sometime in february or march and train towards it. So that should give myself plenty of time to become "not a pussy."

Anyway, here was tonights workout, speed squats, and heavy bench:

Squats:

135x6

135x6

225x3 Really deep, slow.

225x3 Speed set.

225x3 Speed set.

225x3 Speed set.

225x3 Speed set.

225x3 Speed set.

225x2 Pause set of 5 Harnek seconds, which probably equate to 7 or 8 human seconds. I just stare in the mirror and note how bloody messed my face looks while I sit rock bottom and try to breathe.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8

135x8

225x4

275x3 Wow, disappointing. Considering I did 285 almost 4 times last week. But I guess I also didn't do squats first, and I'm probably a tad stronger in the afternoon versus evening. *shrug*

245x7

225x6 Didn't give myself much rest here, so 6 was even hard.

Well that was it. It was all done pretty fast, as Harnek was in a bit of a rush today. All the squatting probably was on pace with 30-45 seconds between sets.

I think I'll do lats tomorrow at lunch, and if I don't feel too bad, maybe I'll try and go to thai boxing, but since I've not been in so long I somehow think I'll find a way to not go.

carolinagirl
08-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Go, you slacker.

I command it.

ElPietro
08-13-2003, 12:02 PM
No, see, I didn't go just to spite you. It's all your fault! Hopefully thursday, although I'll be on low sleep since that's golf day.

Anyway, went to the gym for a cardio bunny session. I went yesterday to do lats and bis but once I got there, I realized I'd forgotten my bloody shoes! :mad: So I didn't wanna do them at lunch today since I'm doing deads tonight, I'll just do em after deads I guess and have a so so lat day. Today I did 25 minutes on the ellyptical and was surprised I lasted that long. Did about 5 minutes of stretching after that. That's it. It was pretty much on an empty stomach, didn't manage to eat anything until I got to work, and then it was only a protein bar. Had a meeting that f*cking was totally useless and went over it's time limit, so got out at 12:30 and went straight to the gym. So I've had under 300 calories so far today!

WillKuenzel
08-13-2003, 12:06 PM
So I've had under 300 calories so far today!I had a protein bar today that was more than that. Calories in vs. calories out. Sounds like you might be able to get away with a trip to the Taco Bell. :D

ElPietro
08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Ohhhh...sweet! :cool:

carolinagirl
08-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Yes. Go eat. LOTS of Taco Bell.

I'm probably at around 2200 already. :mad:

carolinagirl
08-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Wow! I didn't know that ****** got asterisked out! Cool!

So.......bitch is okay, damn is okay, asshole is okay......but not ******? Odd.

JustinF
08-13-2003, 05:19 PM
I had a protein bar today that was more than that. Calories in vs. calories out. Sounds like you might be able to get away with a trip to the Taco Bell. :D

Yup, you should go eat a lot of Taco Bell. So much in fact that you are uncomfortable. :D

ElPietro
08-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by JustinF

Yup, you should go eat a lot of Taco Bell. So much in fact that you are uncomfortable. :D

The words Taco Bell and "uncomfortable" cannot conceivably relate to one another in any way for me. Anyway, fat chance punk, I am running on low fuel. After my entire morning consisting of one protein bar, my afternoon lunch was a couple small hacked up chicken breasts, mixed with a bit of brown rice and spaghetti sauce. Got home after work and had a steak and salad (salads for me consist of lettuce and balsamic vinegar). After that enormous meal, I chilled for about 40 minutes and then it was off to the wonderful world of deadlifts. :)

Deadlifts:

135x6 Conventional

135x3 Sumo

225x6 Conventional

225x2 Sumo, experimenting with foot position. One was with my toes about 2 inches from the plates, and the other was with feet about 6 inches from the plates.

315x6 Conventional and was also a speed set

315x2 Sumo, again with the two foot positions. I think I like it 6 inches from the plates, although it may just be a case of my muscles not use to being where they are for the lift. When my toes are right by the plates my legs tend to shake quite a bit, almost regardless of what the weight is.

405x1 Conventional, ripped it up.

405x1 Sumo, don't remember what stance

455x3 Conventional, with a complete standup and reset for each rep.

455x1, +miss, x1 Ok, did the first one, then wanted to try to lean back more, I ended up losing balance and stumbling backwards. Here's a tip, don't stumble with 455 in your hands. Anyway, I started laughing pretty damned hard and then dropped the weight before I almost fell. I managed to stop laughing and did another rep. So basically 2 reps sandwhiched around a half rep/stumble/drop.

455x2 Conventional

455x2 Conventional

315x6 Speed set, no reset, but wouldn't bang it on the ground either, sometimes it would stop just short of the floor, so basically i was slowing it's descent and reversing it back up.

315x3 Bleh, I didn't wanna do this set, but I took to long to start removing the plates so I just figured I'd better do another. I was very tired, and couldn't force myself to do anymore.

*Some important discoveries today. My form sucks ass still. There was some guy from russia at the gym today training deads, he spoke very little english, but was there to meet Harnek to see if he could compete in the canadian championships. Harnek said not unless he competes in an open first and does well. Anyway, he kept watching me, and of course both of them told me my technique isn't very good, but my back is f*cking strong. It seems that my legs do very little work and it's all my lower back. I don't think I'm getting the form that I learned with Bill Jameison properly anymore, and I can tell that I'm still way too far forward. Maybe just a leg strength issue. I'll just focus more on leg strength, and try to concentrate on form more.

Anyway, that was some pretty high rep sets for me on deads. Anymore than that and I may start to tone. :cool::cool:

I was gonna just leave then, as I had no gas left to do any other form of pulling such as lats and shrugs, but I felt guilty and went to a rack and did some shoulder stuff.

Standing Millies:

bar x8/135x8/135x6/135x6

Lateral DB Raise:

35x8/35x8

Well, I was thoroughly done in, so that was that. Got home and had a protein shake, so maybe I'm at 1500 calories now. Maybe I'll have some doritos or something. :D

ElPietro
08-14-2003, 07:11 AM
6:15 am golf. Birdied the first hole, and as for the rest of the round...let's just say I shoulda quite while I was ahead. :mad:

JustinF
08-14-2003, 07:17 AM
LOL. You should just give up that Demon of a "sport"

Nice deads BTW.

I do hope you had a full bag of Doritos, those cals seemed pretty low. :D

ElPietro
08-14-2003, 07:19 AM
No, there was only maybe half a bag left, and I didn't finish it. So calories probably came in under 2000, or just over since I had a couple ice teas.

Coke
08-14-2003, 07:22 AM
:thumbup:

Excellent strength on them deadlifts!

Good session man but watch the intake because I'd hate to see anyone lose a bet - ;)

Franjipani
08-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Hey babe, how 'bout it ? :p ;)

rookiebldr
08-16-2003, 06:31 AM
455x1, +miss, x1 Ok, did the first one, then wanted to try to lean back more, I ended up losing balance and stumbling backwards. Here's a tip, don't stumble with 455 in your hands. Anyway, I started laughing pretty damned hard and then dropped the weight before I almost fell. I managed to stop laughing and did another rep. So basically 2 reps sandwhiched around a half rep/stumble/drop.

lol, I would have loved to see that!!! :D

midee1
08-16-2003, 07:39 PM
6:15 am golf. Birdied the first hole, and as for the rest of the round...let's just say I shoulda quite while I was ahead. :mad:

Kinda shot your wad a little early:D Damn I hate it when that happens.

Just stoppin in to poke around.:cool:

JustinF
08-18-2003, 05:37 AM
No, there was only maybe half a bag left, and I didn't finish it. So calories probably came in under 2000, or just over since I had a couple ice teas.

:swear:

DAMMIT, make it easy for me would ya?

Relentless
08-18-2003, 06:25 AM
jesus, man . . . 1500 cals?

ElPietro
08-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Fran - :p

Rookie - yeah it had me laughing. I guess it was one of those, "don't try this at home moves." I guess there is only so far you can lean back, and I think I need to focus on just staying straight first.

Mid - yes, I hate golf, or were you speaking of something else? :D

Justin & Cal - don't worry, when i do eat, it's sh!t. Diet was pretty horrid over the weekend. Total cals may have been low, or maybe not. Didn't keep track, but protein was almost non-existent. Oh well, whatever.

Here's my suckass workout for today. I wanted to workout saturday, but put it off until sunday, and then sunday i was too lazy as well.

Just went in for a bit of a lat workout.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/200x8/200x6/180x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x6/120x6

*F*cking felt weak as hell.

Did a biceps exercise as I was waiting for the high row machine to free up.

DB Concentration Curls:

35x8/35x6

**Bah :mad:

The guy finished with the high rows, and some other f*cker gets on it that had apparently been waiting. :mad:

DB Hammer Curls:

I used the 45s, did 6 reps, I don't remember if I did a second set. This workout obviously has deep meaning for me.

Decided to do 15 minutes on the ellyptical to at least sweat some, got off after 10 minutes. Tired as hell.

Got upstairs, and apparently something is f*cking wrong with a circuit or the boiler or some sh!t, as there was no bloody hot water at all, so freezing cold shower, which consisted of me patting water on, and just sticking my head under for a bit. :mad:

When I left I started to bitch out the guy at the front asking why they couldn't f*cking put a sign up saying there's no god damned hot water, and he pointed at the front door, and said, "you mean that sign?" F*CK! :mad: Oh well, in my defense it wasn't very big, and everyone else had missed it. But I just stfu and left.

I need to find my happy place.

carolinagirl
08-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Sounds like your happy place would be under a hot shower.

You better start eating more, you big focker. I'm just about doubling you most days. And STILL leaning out. :p

Edit for PS: I forgot to say that even with alleged ****ty form, your dead strength is amazing. You are totally going to kick ass in your comp.

ElPietro
08-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Well, unfortunately, there are two other lifts that I need to get to at least a "mediocre" level at. My dead strength isn't all that hot for my weight class. It's probably better than average, but not much more than that.

Well went to the gym again today, different gym.

Didn't feel like squatting, I figured I'd workout again tomorrow and have a proper leg day for once, since it's been months since I've done a full leg workout.

So tonight was just bench, as I wanted to get home and catch the football game while the decent players were in.

Bench:

135x8

135x12

225x5

275x2.5 Bah! F*ck I felt weak. So did harnek, I wonder if it's the heat and the fact that it didn't feel like the AC was on. Or I may have taken barely any rest after the set of 225. Or I could just be a weak b!tch. :mad:

225x6 Still felt weak.

245x3 Pause set. Keep bar on chest for a second or two then try to explode up.

225x3 Pause set.

225x6 Hmm...was a bit more focused on this set. Leads me to believe I may have just been a wimp earlier. *shrug*

135x8 Close grip, index finger on smooth and half of middle finger.

135x10 Wide grip. Basically grabbed the bar at the edge of the rack, so can't go any wider.

135x8 Close grip. See previous.

135x8 Wide grip. See previous.

Well I probably would have done some shoulder and triceps work, but it was already 10 after 8pm and that means I was missing the first quarter. So I left.

I may do some cardio bunny stuff tomorrow afternoon, or maybe not as I'll be squatting after work. We'll see. I'll be away for the rest of the week, so trying to get some work in.

JustinF
08-19-2003, 04:30 AM
Nice bench session bro. About that cardio bunny stuff, I really don't think that is necessary for you. Thanks for that link BTW, should prove to be very useful. :p

ElPietro
08-19-2003, 06:58 AM
That is the most feeble attempt at sabotage I have ever witnessed in my entire life. Did you think I'd fall for such an obvious attempt!

Here let me try...

Hey Justin! I really don't think you need to cut back any calories for your cut. In fact, I think you should go way higher. Try to include good sources of fat (read: Lard, fried dough), and get in an abundance of carbs (read: Doritos, cake). Protein is for chumps so don't bother too much with it. Ok bro? :thumbup:

ElPietro
08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, I'll be out of the city for a few days, basically the rest of the week. So decided to skip squats yesterday, and do a full leg workout for the first time in months.

Squats:

135x5

135x5 Lol, I was messing with different foot positions, and on one I lost my balance and stumbled, I went far enough back that the plates and bar hit the back of the rack and then I regained balance, then did a few more reps. Not really that funny, but whatever.

225x5

275x3 Damn I felt weak. I hate not having harnek around to tell me where my depth is. It was probably as close to as deep as I can go anyway.

295x3 Bleh.

305x2 Bah, ok I guess I need to start squatting more. Not to failure or anything close, I just didn't want to push too hard, especially with no spotter, and other leg work to come.

Leg Press:

8 plates x8/12 plates x8/14 plates x8/16 plates x5/12 plates x8/12 plates x8

*Whatever. Also did some calf work while the weight was on there.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/80x8/100x6

**First two sets were done explosive.

Well that was pretty much it for leg work. Decided to work on some muscles that hadn't been worked in a while.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x5/405x5/315x8/225x8

DB Shrugs:

100x8/120x8 (with 1-2 second pause at peak)/120x8

Pull Down Abs, on Lat Pulley:

95x8/105x8/105x8

DB Sidebends:

70x8/70x8

Well that's it. Pretty gay workout, but I'm sure I'll be hobbling regardless tomorrow.

Bruteman
08-19-2003, 08:51 PM
You're kinda funny! Have you ever thought of following a set routine? :p Or is the procastaholic in you waiting for the last 3 weeks before the end of the bet? Ok, I'm done giving you a hard time. Nice session!

JustinF
08-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Bruteman
You're kinda funny! Have you ever thought of following a set routine? :p Or is the procastaholic in you waiting for the last 3 weeks before the end of the bet? Ok, I'm done giving you a hard time. Nice session!

Hey now, don't encourage him. He's shown excellent results in the past with the procrastination thing, and I for one think he should stick to it!

Nice gay seesion ElP!! :D

Relentless
08-20-2003, 12:35 PM
That is the most feeble attempt at sabotage I have ever witnessed in my entire life. Did you think I'd fall for such an obvious attempt!

Actually, in all seriousness if you got a better grip on eating, you wouldn't really need to do cardio. :p

But that's just my opinion.

Franjipani
08-23-2003, 11:25 PM
:hello: hey muffin !

LOL@ you & Justin.... I remember both of you having to have exactly the same amount of food when I was there.... ohhhh wait...hang on..... I remember you only had lettuce..... he ate the whole salad.....(well, my feeble excuse for a salad anyway;) ):p.

How many more sleeps until you move into your new abode? :D

ElPietro
08-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Cal, I am of the opinion that cardio is near mandatory in the reduction of sub-cutaneous fat stores, at least for me it is. I think even if my diet was perfect, which in and of itself is tough to define, I'd never achieve what i can through "better" diet and good cardio sessions.

Fran my house should close october 8th. I think they are starting the drywall now. Or at least they had them all piled up on the basement and main floors anyway.

Went in for a bench workout at lunch. It was pretty lame, I won't dignify it with a post that goes into anymore detail. I'm weak, but not sure if it's just general weakness, or I think also my triceps have gotten weak, as they used to be a strong point. Did 10 minutes on the ellyptical, and that's pretty much all I could stomach before leaving. Chatted with who I guess the new owner is, I may try to swing a deal with him so that I can renew my membership there and also have my membership at Monster.

Although, given recent gym performance, I don't know why I bother at all...If I were at least eating decently and shedding some pounds I'd at least have something positive to speak of, but I don't.

carolinagirl
08-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Although, given recent gym performance, I don't know why I bother at all...If I were at least eating decently and shedding some pounds I'd at least have something positive to speak of, but I don't.

What's wrong with you today, sugar? You sound like you need a hug.

*hugs elP*

You're as strong as a freaking bear already, and the better your form gets, the higher your weights are going to get. You're going to do this comp and you're going to do well. Or you're going to have ME to answer to. :mad:

(Not many people can pull off good cop/bad cop by themselves, but I think I just did.)

(Oh, you better watch out - Frannie will kick your ass for that ****ty transformational vocabulary, if you don't cut it out right now. ;) And she's nothin' but pure-D bad cop, through and through. You don't want a piece of her, trust me. :p)

IceRgrrl
08-27-2003, 06:38 AM
P, quit stressing so much about how the workouts went and just do them...and do the cardio, and do the diet...less talk, more action! :p

And quit being so damn grumpy... ;)

(hah..like *I* should be giving that advice...)

And listen to Heath...or she'll kick your ass. :D

ElPietro
08-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Oh how it amuses me when two little girls try to be intimidating. :) You're both so cute! *pinches cheeks*

Went to thai boxing last night, my training consisted of handing my cancellation letter to them and then leaving. I will still be billed for september so maybe I'll actually go at some point, but that's not clear. My motivation and drive for this seems to be in a pretty sad state. I am there, and I know that if I go once I'll be fine and start going more regularly, but there is some mental block that always makes starting again so damned difficult. I then went home planning on doing a squat workout later on, and of course didn't do that either. :(

So, today's lunchtime workout was speed squats. :)

Squats:

135x6

225x3

225x3 Speed

225x3 Speed

225x3 Speed

245x3 Speed

245x3 Speed

245x3 Speed

225x2 Pause set 5 seconds roughly

225x2 Pause set 5 seconds

225x6 Regular cadence

*That's it. Was chatting with some guy who just hung out by the rack watching my form saying it was the best he's seen. But also realized how bad people's form is typically in a gym. But it was good to have some positive reinforcement. Was basically just chatting about plifting stuff with him. He was some kinda floor trainer guy. I guess just someone that helps keep the weights where they should be and general cleanup stuff. Seemed like a decent guy anyway.

Tonight I'll be training with Harnek. It's deadlift night but I don't know if I will or not. I will do lats and maybe some shrugs and abs. If I dead it may just be trying to figure out sumo form and what position I like best.

The above sets may be slightly off, I wrote it down so will verify later tonight.

ElPietro
08-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh, yes thank you ladies, I haven't been in the best of moods lately, but it's nice to know you care. :)

I am slightly happier now that I have successfully made a trade in my fantasy football league for Drew Bledsoe, to replace Chad Pennington who's out for most of the season. I'm especially happy since I didn't have to give up a single starter on my team to acquire Drew, who is actually rated significantly higher than Chad anyway. :)

rookiebldr
08-27-2003, 09:31 PM

Must be time for a group workout so you'll have something positive to say about my excellent spotting. ;)

ElPietro
08-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Jeffrey, if you wanna workout lemme know.

Was tired last night so didn't go for the second workout. Since I was planning on doing cardio at lunch I just decided to do lats instead.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

140x8/200x8/210x7/210x6

*Gonna start getting strength up again, so no more going through the motions. I've been feeling pretty damned weak as of late and I'm tired of it.

HS High Rows:

180x8/270x3.5/250x6-8 (can't remember)

**Bleh.

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x7/120x8

***Hmpfh. Maybe was tired first set? *shrug* Second set was done really fast the first 5 reps on the right, and finished pretty strong, left side was slow and agonizing. It's funny how light these are if I can start off with much heavier weight, unfortunately at this gym this is all I can go up to.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x5/315x6-8 (can't remember)

DB Shrugs:

120s x8/120s x8

DB Hammer Curls:

45x6/40x6-8 (can't remember)

That's all. Having sorta a reunion at my university, mainly due to a tragedy that occured to an alumni so sorta gathering to support him, but it will just turn into a drunktank anyway. Then cottaging the long weekend. So basically from tonight until monday I will be hammered every evening. :) I'll try to get a workout in friday afternoon before I leave for the cottage.

Mik
08-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Have a 50 for me. :alcoholic

WillKuenzel
08-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Slacker!! You're going to get a late start on a weekend of drinking by going to the gym first?!! Pfft. Amateurs! :p

ElPietro
08-28-2003, 12:02 PM
No dude, I am going on my lunch break, so I don't have to go to the gym after work, I can go straight to the drinking hole.

Pfft, rookie. :D

Mik, I think I might just go with the 50 for this weekend.

HeatherLF
08-28-2003, 06:09 PM
:hello: Pete...Justin showed me the house your building, NICE! I'll have the master suite the next Toronto trip..right?

JustinF
08-29-2003, 03:21 AM
LOL. Don't mind her she's a little shy. :rolleyes: :D

Relentless
08-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Single Arm DB Rows:

120x7/120x8

***Hmpfh. Maybe was tired first set? *shrug* Second set was done really fast the first 5 reps on the right, and finished pretty strong, left side was slow and agonizing. It's funny how light these are if I can start off with much heavier weight, unfortunately at this gym this is all I can go up to.
[/B]

So go back to 'Belial Rows'. Aside from Alex's smug preening over the name, there's no reason not to do 'em. :D

ElPietro
08-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Heather welcome, master suite? Sure! :hump: :D

Justin, yeah sometimes these timid gals just need some encouragement. :p

Cal, there is a reason not to do them, they take too long to setup since I'm working on my lunchbreak, and at Monster the DBs go to 200. It's my last exercise anyway, so not too concerned there. I just haven't been training at monster much the last week or so, I'm sure once I'm back in routine these will go up fine, without having to jerry-rig some ezcurl bar.

On a non-training note, I think i might still be drunk from last night. If not, I am certainly hungover. I think I reset my alarm 10 times this morning. Bleh, I'm also dehydrated, I keep drinking a bottle of water and mouth goes dry a minute later. Oh well, the real festivities begin tonight! I think I'm gonna leave work early, find the stashed spare key, and go nap at the cottage by myself until the owner et al show up. :cool:

My head hurts. :(

JustinF
08-29-2003, 08:06 AM
On a non-training note, I think i might still be drunk from last night. If not, I am certainly hungover. I think I reset my alarm 10 times this morning.

Because of this, and ONLY because of this I'm gonna cut you some slack for that comment!!

Heather welcome, master suite? Sure! :hump: :D

tuttut
:mad:

:p

rookiebldr
08-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Pete, I'm taking a week off. I'll hit you up after that.

Franjipani
09-01-2003, 05:04 AM
I think i might still be drunk from last night.:cool:

Well I certainly hope there was no wet pants mystery goin on??:p

So err, hey babe....how bout it ??;)

ElPietro
09-02-2003, 12:00 PM
workout:

bench: 135x10/135x4/225x4/265x4+1/225x7
one arm tricep pulldowns: 55x6/55x6
dips: bw x8/bw x8
db laterals: 35x8/40x6
ellyptical: 15 minutes

ElPietro
09-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Jeff, just let me know. Right now is a good time to train with me if you want to fell strong and intense in comparison. Right now I lack both.

Originally posted by Franjipani

Well I certainly hope there was no wet pants mystery goin on??:p

So err, hey babe....how bout it ??;)

I think that mystery shall go down in history unsolved. And as for the second part... :nod: :p

Hey, where'd Heather go? She appeared to be a babe. :D

rookiebldr
09-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Pete, sure thing. I'd love to feel strong and intense for once...er...I mean, in comparison to you. ;)

HeatherLF
09-02-2003, 08:18 PM

Hey, where'd Heather go? She appeared to be a babe. :D

I'm just going to be conceited for a moment and ASSUME you were talking about me even if you weren't. :) And thanks for my first humpy..even if Justin was jealous!

ElPietro
09-03-2003, 06:54 AM
It's all about you! :thumbup: :D

On a serious note, I think I'm gonna start cutting now, since there's about a month or so left. :)

Coke
09-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Lets see some sessions big guy! - :D

ElPietro
09-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Ok, here's a cardio bunny session.

25 minutes on the ellyptical, followed by 10-15 minutes of decent stretching.

That's it.

Hopefully will make it for weight training tonight.

WillKuenzel
09-03-2003, 12:56 PM
LMAO!! Good job putting it off until the last minute. :p

When are you planning on doing your first meet?

ElPietro
09-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Yes, even in high school, i was always the guy typing out his essay the morning it was due, after having had a month to complete it. :D

I am figuring on perhaps competing february or march. I'll have to see what meets are being scheduled near me then and then choose one. For now I am just going to start focusing on adhering to some semblance of a routine, and my new short term goal will be to start developing some leg strength.

IceRgrrl
09-03-2003, 03:27 PM

Hopefully will make it for weight training tonight.

Do not stop, do not pass go, proceed directly to gym... :p

Or we will start calling you the Last-Minute Cardio Bunny...kind of like the Easter Bunny crossed with the White Rabbit gone horribly wrong...
:D

midee1
09-03-2003, 06:40 PM

On a serious note, I think I'm gonna start cutting now, since there's about a month or so left. :)

Seriously my theory is :

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.:D

Hit the weights dammit.:)

ElPietro
09-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Ok, ok people, I went. Happy?

Thanks for the motivation, even if I read it AFTER I got back, so really, you cannot take any credit whatsoever. ;)

Today was deadlift day. I am sorta backing off on deads a bit, so that I can train legs without my lower back bother me as much. I have an inkling for a new program. So now for dead day, I will do light lifts only and probably keep it to sumo form so I can learn that, as it's more of a leg lift than lower back lift. Although, I think it's just that I have a very strong lower back, and weak legs relatively speaking.

Bleh, whatever, that's the plan, roughly. So thought I'd do a light sumo dead session with some lat work. Tomorrow for lunch I'll do traps and abs with a side of ellyptical.

Sumo Deadlifts:

135x6

135x8

225x6

225x8 Very fast.

315x6 Done with much speed but very tiring.

315x6 Tiring again, not so fast anymore.

405x2 I could almost say that it's two singles instead of a double. I did the first one, came up and discussed some form stuff for about 20 seconds, and then did the second one. It wasn't that easy. Second time I tried to keep my upper torso more vertical, to get used to using legs more instead of back, and I felt it a lot more in my lower body.

Oh well, didn't want to push things, it's really only my first time actually training sumo for more than a few half-hearted reps with low weight. These I don't think are as tiring, but we'll see. The ROM is certainly much less. I'll see how these go and mix in conventionals every now and then.

Atlantis CG Lat Pulldown:

150x8/210x6/195x6

*This is like a lat pulley, only it has a band instead of a cable. It felt akward, and didn't really like it, but for some reason everyone was doing lat pulldowns at that time. Resistance felt about the same as cable.

Single Arm DB Rows:

145x6/145x6/120x8 (speed)

**Lol, I love having the heavier dbs around. 145 was tough, but it seems that whatever weight I start with is about the same in difficulty, and then when i drop to 120 it flies up like nothing. But if I start with 120 at the other gym it is heavy from the start.

DB Concentration Curls:

35x8/35x8/35x8/35x8

***Was just sitting chatting with Harnek. I saw the 35 and thought that I hadn't done any arm work lately, so should at least do something.

Well, that was it. My lats were sore going in from the weekend. Either from water skiing or the two times I had to grab a rung from the dock and stop the powerboat from slamming into the shore because the driver tried to dock it too fast. It's one of those where you just grab it as it passes, and hope your arms stay attached.

On a non-training note, my f*cking house was delayed again, to the maximum two weeks allowable, so now it's the third week of October that I take possession. Luckily for them they can't delay any further, or I'd burn the whole f*cking subdivision down.

Diet wasn't bad today.

HeatherLF
09-03-2003, 08:27 PM
I had to grab a rung from the dock and stop the powerboat from slamming into the shore because the driver tried to dock it too fast. It's one of those where you just grab it as it passes, and hope your arms stay attached.

LOL..I know it probably wasn't funny at the time, but I'm getting a great visual. :)

Sorry about your house, hope all goes well these next few months..or else the WBB crew will have to take action.

ElPietro
09-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Hey thanks Heather!

Here is a more detailed summary of my cottage long weekend. :cool:

rookiebldr
09-03-2003, 09:56 PM
:drooling:

JustinF
09-04-2003, 02:50 AM

:drooling:

ElPietro
09-04-2003, 11:09 AM
That steak was 1.44 kg of pure "mooing" goodness. I ended up barbecuing for everyone that evening, 9 people in total, with this small piece-o-sh!t barbecue that cooked unevenly everywhere. Good thing I'm a bbq guru. :cool:

Made it to the gym for a miscellaneous Traps/Abs session.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/455x4/315x8/315x6

DB Shrugs:

120x8/120x8/120x6 (w/pause at peak)

Lat Pulley Cable Crunches:

95x8/105x8/115x8/125x8

DB Side Bends:

75x8/75x8

That's it. :)

rookiebldr
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Nice to see that you are keeping the Canadian beef industry happy.

Stephen Riddington
09-04-2003, 02:14 PM

That steak... :drooling: and beer... :thumbup:

HeatherLF
09-04-2003, 03:03 PM

I agree..its all about the meat!! :D

........I meant the steak Pietro!! tuttut

carolinagirl
09-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Dammit.

Now you went and made me hungry.

Nice to see you back in the gym, focker.