PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ElPietro
09-05-2003, 07:23 PM
I had taco bell for lunch today. It made me happy. :)

Well, I have a program about 30-50% conceptualized now, so I did a bit of testing out tonight. Not a far cry from before, but I think if I can stick to the routine, which means not skipping out on friday workouts to go to the cottage I'll actually start getting somewhere.

Squats:

135x8/135x8/225x5/225x3/225x2/315x4/315x3/365x2/315x4

*Was ok. Didn't push myself too hard. I am not concerned with the poundage, so much as form, and progress. I have plenty of time, so I am considering this to be day one of me learning how to squat lots. Gonna take it slowly.

Lying Hammy Curls:

85x8/100x8/100x6

SUPERSET with:

Standing Calf Raise Machine:

405x8/510x8/570x8

*Bah! :mad: Fookin doesn't go heavier than that, and it was still warmup weight. I knew the stack wouldn't be enough. I will have to move calves to monday, since I'll do leg press that day. So I'll do calves on the leg press since there is no plate loaded standing calf raise. Hamstrings were burning though. :)

Speed Flat BB Bench:

Warmup:

135x10/135x10

Speed sets:

9 sets of 3 using 185 lbs.

**Used a variety of different grips. Speed was good on all but the narrowest of grips. 30 seconds in between sets, sometimes even less. Didn't time it but I didn't waste much time. Pretty much me doing my set, then Harnek, then I'd get back on after pacing for a few seconds. Felt it quite a bit in the triceps.

DB Flyes:

35x10/35x10

***Did these with about the maximum amount of stretch possible on the pecs, with almost fully straightened arms throughout the ROM.

Cable Triceps Extensions:

stack x10/90x8/90x8

****First set was done on the regular cable machines. Of course the weight was just flying up and down with no effort, so went to the one cable machine that doesn't have a seat and is the same pulley system as the lat pulldowns to do the last two sets. They were pretty tough.

That's it.

Have a golf tournament tomorrow. Just the same god damned 9 hole course that I don't even like and isn't near my house and I have no clue why I agreed to go in. Debating going up to the cottage afterwards. Probably won't.

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 11:55 AM
25 minutes on the ellyptical, and then some stretching afterwards.

My membership ends at the end of the month too, so unless they cut me a really sweet deal, I don't think I'll carry two gym memberships anymore. :(

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Today was day 1.

Speed Squats:

Warmup:

135x6/135x8/225x4

Speed Sets:

7 sets of 245x3

Pause Set:

225x2 @ 5 long seconds.

Leg Press:

450x8/720x8/810x5

Incline DB Press:

50x8/75x8/90x7/100x5

Overhead DB Extensions:

75x8/75x8/75x8

CG Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x8

*Index finger at the edge of the smooth part.

rookiebldr
09-08-2003, 08:50 PM
I thought you were going to do calves today?

JustinF
09-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Nice session bro. What is a "pause set"?

ElPietro
09-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Jeff, I forgot, who cares about calves anyway. Calves are stupid.

Justin, a pause set is where you go down as far as you can and sit there, while a bastard counts really slowly in his head, and then tells you when you can come back up again. It's extremely tough as you have to breath a lot while doing it, and then going back up becomes significantly harder.

ElPietro
09-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Active Recovery/Cardio:

Just did 1 light set of 15 on the leg extension, and pec dec. Then did 25 minutes on the ellyptical. Was tiring out fast as my quads were damned exhausted, but then one of the gym staff came over and we somehow started talking about martial arts stuff, and that killed off the last 15 minutes without me noticing the burn as much.

Membership will be expiring there in a couple more weeks though, so no more afternoon sessions. :(

WillKuenzel
09-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Jeff, I forgot, who cares about calves anyway. Calves are stupid.

WHAT?!! Calves are the most totally coolest muscle in the body. You should go back to the gym right now and do them!

Was that day 1 of the new routine? What's the routine?

ElPietro
09-09-2003, 11:30 AM
It isn't complete yet. I am sorta formulating it as I go.

But the gist of Day 1 includes:

Speed Squats
Heavy Quad work
calves
Heavy Chest exercise (rotate a few movements)
Some Tricep work

I am debating putting in maybe a couple sets of rows, and then doing a couple more sets of rows on day 3. The above workout can be completed in an acceptable amount of time. But I need to work on a few details, etc. Right now Day 2 is kinda screwy so not sure how to mix things in. I'm more or less just going to focus on strength for the next month or so. That's why I haven't really been cutting that much. I am sorta torn between wanting to cut, and wanting to get strength up, so I've been eating much more carbs and probably not that strict on diet. For now my only real goal is to increase leg strength significantly.

ElPietro
09-09-2003, 11:33 AM
And yes, calves are stupid.

ElPietro
09-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Ok wow, legs pretty sore all day today from leg press on monday. Supposed to be deadlift day, but was gonna keep it light, but in the end didn't really do deads anyway. Basically just did some shoulder and lats and took Harnek's son through a lat workout and showed him some exercises.

I did a few sets of deads with 135, then Harnek was taking too long talking to someone so couldn't add more weight. Decided to hang clean it and do shoulders.

Standing BB Military Press:

135x1 Hang Clean + 8 military presses
135x1 Hang Clean + 8 military presses
135x1 Hang Clean + 6 military presses
135x6 Hang Cleans + 6 military press
155x3 Hang Cleans + 3 military press

*Forgot how fun cleans are. The final set was sloppy, was taking steps and stuff and almost lost it when i was about to laugh. Oh well, good enough.

CG Lat Pulldowns:[B]

150x8/205x8/220x5/190x7

[B]DB Rows:

145x5/120x8/120x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8

DB Concentration Curls:

40x8/40x8

That's it. Took a while because I was taking quite a bit of time explaining exercises and concepts to Harnek's son. He basically worked out as I did and did some shrugs and stuff. I think I'll do traps at lunch tomorrow. It kinda pains me to walk into the gym and head straight for the cardio equipment. So at least I get to go play around in a rack for 10 minutes. :)

ElPietro
09-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Well, here are a few house pictures. As you will see, I now have walls. First pic is with my cam pressed against the front door looking in. So the patch of brick on the left is some weird reflection off the glass I'm assuming. It appears that the contractors are also using my kitchen in the background as a closet.

ElPietro
09-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Here is one from the back door. I had to shoot this through double glass, so there is a bad reflection of the camera, but you can still get a picture of the house from the back. This will be my kitchen and dining room, once it's complete.

ElPietro
09-10-2003, 08:37 PM
This is my basement. I managed to wriggle part of my upper body in there to take the shot.

Yes, I realize it's a mess, I'll make sure it's cleaned up before any company arrives. :)

rookiebldr
09-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Justin, a pause set is where you go down as far as you can and sit there, while a bastard counts really slowly in his head, and then tells you when you can come back up again. It's extremely tough as you have to breath a lot while doing it, and then going back up becomes significantly harder.

Yup, it is tough for the bastard. ;)

hey, he house is really coming along. I hope there aren't any more delays for ya.

JustinF
09-11-2003, 03:01 AM
Looks like the house is coming along nicely. Why could you not go inside to take the pictures? It is your house. :confused:

ElPietro
09-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Well there is a slight problem called a "locked door" that comes into play here. And no, technically it's not my house. I don't possess a deed to it, I have a downpayment on it, so yeah it WILL be my house, but technically it's not even a house or place of residence yet. So the builder owns it until it's completed, and then I had them a big wad of money, and then I get a key and the priveledge of paying it off for the greater portion of my middle years.

Jeff, they've delayed me to the maximum now after the 60 days. So if they delay any longer, they would have to pay for storage of my stuff, and also my accomodations while they finish. So I don't anticipate any more delays at all.

JustinF
09-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Ah, it must work a little different up there. When my bro-in-law built his house in NC, he had full access (including keys when the doors were put on) throughout the entire build process.

WillKuenzel
09-11-2003, 08:16 AM
And yes, calves are stupid.

NO!! You're stupid! :p

House pics look good! Does the lease to your apartment run out at the same time you are supposed to move it or would you be out on the street until you could finally move in to it?

ElPietro
09-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield

NO!! You're stupid! :p

House pics look good! Does the lease to your apartment run out at the same time you are supposed to move it or would you be out on the street until you could finally move in to it?

Shut up thong boy!

My apartment is a condo, and we own it. It has been sold for a year now. We sold it with a closing date around the same time as our house, and retained similar powers as the builder, in that we just need to give these people notice and they have to wait until we want to leave. So it should be coordinated exactly. I think it's just a young couple living with their parents, so they didn't want to move in too early probably as they couldn't afford it, and don't mind waiting a bit longer as it gives them more time to save I guess. Even in the worst case scenario and some accident happens to delay us, I think we can safely sell the condo and then rent it for a week or two if need be. We have a storage space rented already and have transported some stuff to it to make the move much smoother. So although I am stressing over the move, I don't anticipate any problems. I think I have relatives and friends of relatives coming with two trucks and a van or something like that. This will be pretty much the first move of my life, since I moved in when I was 3.5 years old. I didn't really have to carry anything heavy back then. :)

WillKuenzel
09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
This will be pretty much the first move of my life, since I moved in when I was 3.5 years old. I didn't really have to carry anything heavy back then. :)

And will probably do your best so you don't have to this time either. :p

Sounds like its pretty well sorted out then and if the builder has to pay for the rent if you do have to do that then shouldn't be a problem. So you have about 2 months left then? Doesn't look like there's that much to do if the builder would get off his ass.

ElPietro
09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Ok, went to the gym at lunch. Didn't do anything for traps last night so figured I'd do them this afternoon.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/455x3+3/405x5/315x8

*Bleh. I looked at my chalk when I was in the changeroom, but didn't bring it. Right hand kept slipping on the 455. I put down "3+3" because I got 3 reps out, couldn't get a grip, and then used a towel and basically put it under each hand and got 3 more reps out. I had to maneuver around a bit though since I realized that I had the towel under each hand, but I was also standing on it so it was impeding the lift. Kinda hard to stand on one leg for a second while holding 455 but I got through it. Next time I'll bring chalk. And although my grip may have been fatigued from lats last night, I am disappointed in it, so I may try to incorporate some static holds every now and then to get things up more. I think grip is starting to become a factor on deadlifts as well, so I better take care of that now.

DB Shrugs:

120x8/120x8/120x8

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical and that was pretty much it.

IceRgrrl
09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Good to see some workouts in here ;)

And the house is really coming along...not long now. I'm sure you're anxious to get the move over and get settled in so you can do your Martha Stewart decorating binge :p

ElPietro
09-12-2003, 07:05 AM
You are asking for it aren't you sugar tush. Just wait, you'll get yours. tuttut

ElPietro
09-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Workout:

Squats:

135x6/135x8/225x5/225x5/315x3/315x6/365x3/315x5

Speed Bench:

Warmup:

135x10/135x10 (fast)

Speed Sets:

9 sets of 185x3

*30 seconds between sets.

DB Flyes:

35x10/35x10

**Arms straight, max ROM to stretch chest as much as possible.

DB Triceps Extensions:

80x8/80x8/80x8

Close Grip Bench:

135x10/135x8

***First set, index bordering smooth, second set, only my pinky wasn't on the smooth, so maybe 4 inches in between my hands.

Standing Millies:

135x8/135x8 + initial clean

****Was just standing there thinking of leaving, then just unracked the bar from the bench that still had plates on it, and cleaned it up and did a couple sets. It seems to be a new habit I'm forming, when idle bars with some weight on it are just sitting there.

That's all for now.

rookiebldr
09-12-2003, 08:29 PM
:spam: Just because I really have nothing to say. ;)

ElPietro
09-15-2003, 11:30 AM
That's like the most intelligent thing you've ever said Jeff. ;)

Ok, need to do some stuff tonight so can't get a proper workout in, so did my bench stuff this afternoon, and will probably do some speed squats tomorrow afternoon. Been feeling a bit sh!tty so I think on wednesday I will do a heavy deadlift session to cheer myself up. :)

Incline DB Bench:

50x10/70x8/100x7/90(80)x6 :mad:

*Bah! The fookin label on one db was scratched heavily, and it was right beside the 90, and there isn't much difference when you look at them, so I took it for a 90 when it was an 80. Did 5 or 6 reps before the guy that trained in noticed and said something. Was tired anyway so decided to quit. I had the 80 in my strong hand.

Ez-curl Skulcrushers:

115x8/115x6

**Haven't done these much in a long time, kept form pretty strict and they were rather tough.

Overhead DB Extensions:

85x8/85x6

135x6 or 7

***Lol, tris were fried, and I get shoulders as well, these were hard, so I quit.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx8

****Heh, I failed on both my first reps, then got back up and did 8. Weird, maybe some odd stretch reflex coming into play, but shouldn't since I'm starting with the eccentric. Oh well, they were still tough, tris were burnt already, felt it in my chest quite a bit as well. Just didn't want to leave with too low volume. I guess this was adequate.

WillKuenzel
09-15-2003, 12:08 PM
LOL @ you not being able to tell the 10lbs difference in each hand. :p

Relentless
09-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey amigo

any interest in getting back out to Bill's place before the snow falls?

I'm focusing more on hypertrophy than strength this fall (I've decided) but I'm quite pleased with squats lately and could use some more coaching on bench...

rookiebldr
09-15-2003, 05:07 PM
I might even be able to make it this time.

*invites himself to the party*

carolinagirl
09-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Nothing constructive to say. Just "hi".

Hi.

ElPietro
09-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Scott, I'd be interested, but I may not be available. Let me know what weekends you are thinking of. With the house coming up, and summer at an end, I am trying to get as much done in prepation when I'm in the city, and generally also taking advantage of any cottage invites I can get to get out of the city.

If I don't go at least you'll have Jeff there to make you feel better about how and what you lift. ;)

Hey Heathy, what have you been up to. Been kinda quiet lately.

Relentless
09-16-2003, 07:15 AM
If I don't go at least you'll have Jeff there to make you feel better about how and what you lift. ;)

You are such a total choad. :p

ElPietro
09-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Ok, got to the gym for some speed squats. Skipping additional leg stuff to spare my body for heavy deads tomorrow.

Dynamic Squats:

Warmup:

135x5/135x6 (fast)/225x5

Speed Sets:

7 sets of 3 using 245lbs

*Bleh, speed wasn't where I'd like it to be. The concentric is fast, but the total time for the set is slow. So eccentric isn't very fast, and I am not getting a good stretch/reflex or rebound or whatever off the bottom, which is probably my biggest problem on heavy squats. Need to get more speed into/out of the hole.

Was going to do more, but some big guy was working in beside me, and we were just discussing gear and other issues. He's a decent guy, but took up some workout time.

Did one slow rep of 245 to show him a legel depth squat, and then finished after more conversation with a single pause rep of a few seconds. Didn't really feel like anymore and was starting to cool down. All the working sets were roughly 30 seconds in between.

Active Recovery:

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

stack x15 (fast)

Pec Deck Flyes:

80x20

That's all for now.

ElPietro
09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
F*cking deadlifts.

135x10/225x6/315x6/405x3/495x1/525x miss :(/495x1/405x5

Lat Pulley, Cable Crunches:

95x8/105x8/115x8

JustinF
09-17-2003, 12:10 PM
F*cking deadlifts.

:nod:

carolinagirl
09-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Don't be sad. You'll get it next week.

IceRgrrl
09-17-2003, 02:20 PM
:spam:

Well, you hadn't deadlifted in awhile, so maybe that was just your "dust off the cobwebs" workout. Like Heath said...next time will be better!

And quit picking on Jeff! :swear:

:p

rookiebldr
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Tis ok Molly, I know I'm weak. :cry:

Pete, :swear:

Franjipani
09-21-2003, 03:33 AM
He's a decent guy, but took up some workout time.

Deserves to be shot:p

Anyway, not long to go now hon.....is it still warm over there??:)

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Yup, weather still good here.

My back I think is just finally starting to not hurt from my deadlift stupidity.

On a good note, I played hockey tonight. One of the guys from my team started a new team, and basically just cherry-picked the few good players on my team so I was one of them. I fit in with the team rather well and think I'll play with them, since it's a full team, and it's on sunday nights. I played surprisingly well, considering that I hadn't played since I was kicked out of the league in our last game last year, and this team I joined played all summer. Without trying to sound too conceited I'd say that I'm the top defenseman on the team, which always feels good. :cool: Had a point shot tipped for a goal, and a few other decent shots on net, and of course one penalty. We won 3-0, so good start. :)

Here is my workout from friday that I was too lazy to post.

Speed Bench:

Warmup:

135x10/x10 (speed)

Speed Sets:

8 sets of 185x3

Ez-Curl Skull Crushers:

115x7/115x5

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/200x8/200x6/190x8

*My lats felt strained, and sore from deadlifts. This was upsetting, since it means that my form was really bad, as I had thought it was anyway. I know I must have drifted way forward, probably putting a lot of strain on the lats, lower back, and hamstrings. Luckily the hammies have held up.

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

Standing BB Millies:

135x8/135x6

**Bleh, felt really weak.

DB Concentration Curls: :cool::cool:

40x8/40x6

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/35x8

Rear Delt Cable Flyes:

35x4/25x8

:confused:

Finished with 12 minutes on the ellyptical.

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Here are some updated house pics. The flooring I guess they'll be starting soon. All the drywall is up, and looks like they've put one coat of paint on. Need to go spend over $1k for 90 god damned tiles. Granite ain't cheap apparently. :(

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:46 PM

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:46 PM
The foos forgot to lock the door this time. :cool:

Got to wander about and my fireplace was put in.

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:50 PM
My new Jacuzzi bathtub. Ladies welcome. :cool:

Yes I'll clean it up first. ;)

ElPietro
09-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Basement.

Budiak
09-22-2003, 02:25 AM
By the looks of that picture, that basement is absolutely teeming with the spirits of the dead.

JustinF
09-22-2003, 02:52 AM
The house is looking ace Pete. What's the plans for the basement? Gym? Party room?

IceRgrrl
09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Wow...the house is really coming along. Not long now and you'll be cursing at all the boxes that need to be unpacked and big items that have to be moved around.

And isn't it great to get back to hockey? :) Playing on a good team always makes it more enjoyable.

ElPietro
09-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Budiak, yes, I could hear the voices of the damned when I was down there, and thought I saw their after-images when my flash went off. :eek:

Justin, basement I'm not sure, I am thinking mainly an entertainment area. I would like to get a pool table maybe, and a big screen. It'll all fit, as it's one big room, with no annoying posts to deal with. There's a little 8'x8' offshoot room that I may hang a heavy bag in if I can, or if not I'll convert it to something else, or put a bar or something in. Basement may go on hold a bit until the rest is done though. It'll be finished though with my current furniture down there, as I'll get all new stuff for the rest of the house.

I don't think I'll have THAT much stuff to move. BUt yeah, given my nature to become easily annoyed and angered, you are probably right. But hockey did feel good. I didn't get a chance even to skate before the game, not even pre-game. When I stepped on the ice it was for the face off, but some how there wasn't much, if any rust. Either that or I've gotten better while not playing, and will someone come out stronger next game. Way more fun when you play with 4 or 5 defense, and actually get to stop and breathe for a minute or so.

IceRgrrl
09-22-2003, 11:44 AM
But hockey did feel good. I didn't get a chance even to skate before the game, not even pre-game. When I stepped on the ice it was for the face off, but some how there wasn't much, if any rust. Either that or I've gotten better while not playing, and will someone come out stronger next game. Way more fun when you play with 4 or 5 defense, and actually get to stop and breathe for a minute or so.

Sometimes having some time away from the game and taking an extended break from not playing at all makes you come back fresher and stronger simply because you had time to "forget" bad habits and negative stuff and all that's left is muscle memory and athletic instincts. Just like with working out, a little break here and there sometimes is just right :)

ElPietro
09-24-2003, 07:42 PM
did deadlifts today.

after a speed set of 6 with 3 plates my lower back started tightening up. did a set of 5 with 4 plates with full reset in between. i couldn't bend at all without pain in the lower back at that point. so i added a plate. did 495x2 with full reset in between. i don't think i've done this before, but i could barely remain erect afterwards. my erector spinae are in lower back heaven now i think.

after that i didn't feel like doing much, did a half ass set or two of pulldowns, then just jumped on the treadmill and speed walked for 15 minutes while harnek finished his workout, as he needed a ride.

Franjipani
09-25-2003, 02:43 AM
i couldn't bend at all without pain in the lower back at that point. so i added a plate.

....as ya do :rolleyes:

Silly buggar.......we wanna have ya round for quite some time yet hon....be careful mmkaaaaay ?? :angel:

rookiebldr
10-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Pete,

Where have you been? I hope the back is ok after all. How did the rest of the week go?

Btw, just to let you know before you asked for the condensed version of my journal, I've been doing the UD2 diet this week. ;)

Mik
10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Hope the back is OK Elp.

ElPietro
11-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Well since my last workout posted here, I've been to the gym 3 times. The first time back I decided to test out my back with some deadlifts. Everything was feeling ok, so went up to 4 plates, my legs locked out right away, and then a couple pops sounded from my lower back, and the pain returned again for quite some time. That's what I get for being my usual stupid self.

I then didn't get back to the gym until last week, which i went once and did a few different exercises, and some speed sets of squats, just to give a bit of indirect work to the lower back. Went again last night, and went up to 3 plates on squats and felt good. Got nice and deep. Did some other work and felt ok. Still no direct lower back work. Maybe next week or end of this week. I don't really have pain there now, other than if I'm sitting down for a while and get up, then it's usually tight and a bit sore until I've taken a few strides.

I guess moving into my house also took it's toll. I bought a safe after the reinjury, and that basically caused me some more pain for a few days after I loaded it in the car, and then brought it in the house. But now after much time off, I am feeling relatively pain free, other than when I wince looking in the mirror at what I've become.

I guess it hasn't slid that badly, so things should get back on track soon, barring any more problems.

Haven't been around here much, I was busy as hell with the move. I was also dealing with quite a bit of frustration as some finance problems arose for the couple buying our condo, so then we had to scramble for bridge financing for a few days. I was pretty frustrated, and coming here probably would have just been me getting angry to easily and just posting flames or whatever, so figured I'd just take some time off everything, and get what was important done first.

I'm now into the house, it's still box city for the most part, and there is 500 square feet of wood flooring sitting on my living room floor, many things still need to get fixed by the builder, but all in all I'm somewhat settled in. My bedroom is still a nice lovely chipboard subfloor, but that will be remedied soon.

Basement is finished and I have my PC setup there, albeit infected by a couple viruses that I can't update my software for, and now the hometheater is properly setup as well.

At some point in the next month the furniture for upstairs should arrive on the container ship from whatever 3rd world country that produced it, and then I'll get my dining room table. All in all, I am pleased, and realize that it will take quite a bit of time to fully settle in.

I need to get on a regular schedule working out again, and pull in the reins on my poor eating habits of late.

Anyway, that's my little diatribe for now, I'll try to get here more often now at least during the day.

rookiebldr
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Nice to see you're moved in and starting to get settled. I for one missed you around here so get caught up as you can. I hope the back holds out and that you are once again ready to lift and get into the swing of things. On that note, we should schedule a lifting day sometime soon. 200 on bench is just around the corner for me now.

JustinF
11-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Good to see ya back, Pete. Hope the back isn't too serious.

ElPietro
11-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Yeah, hopefully things can get back to somewhat normal with the back. I am torn between doing light deadlifts, or just doing a routine without them for a month or so. I know how hard it is to not keep putting more weight on the bar with deads, so maybe I'm just asking for reinjury if I start back up.

I'm just getting back into the swing of things, but let me know if you want to hit a gym sometime soon.

With this back stuff going on, I am not sure what I want to do with my training. Whether I should hold off, or give up entirely on this powerlifting endeavour. I haven't spoken to Harnek in probably a month, but saw his truck pulling in as I was leaving on monday.

I'll probably re-sign up at my old gym, and work out regularly there, and either freeze my membership at monster, or more likely just have them run concurrently and workout there occaisionally with Harnek.

Anyway, we'll see. It'll probably still be another few weeks until my life settles into a less chaotic mess.

IceRgrrl
11-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Welcome back :) Sorry that the injury turned out to be such a factor, but don't give up on the powerlifting yet; it's only been, what, like 6 months? It's hard to get a good base in any endeavor in only that long. You're still a rookie learning the ropes!

And injuries in athletics/lifting are almost inevitable (although so very annoying). Just take it slow and careful coming back...it's more important to be consistent over time than anything else :)

Paul Stagg
11-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Things settling down, mate?

JustinF
11-11-2003, 07:04 PM

ElPietro
11-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Hey ppl, things aren't quite settled, but getting there. Been busy with lots of different sh!t, and slowly but surely will have a bit more free time. Worked on flooring for upstairs on saturday, which caused my back to be somewhat sore yesterday and today. I haven't really put it to any kind of test as of yet.

Rejoined my old gym and this week I'm going to try and be consistent with at least going, and getting in some short workouts and cardio sessions.Also, I'll need to reign in my diet, as I've pretty much gone back to the tubby fatass I was before my first cut attempt. I don't think it'll take much to get back there, but with the way I've eaten recently, I'm not making things easy on myself.

Everything seems fine with squats, and I don't think I'll try deadlifts for at least a few more weeks, and then I might do a month worth of light reps, since I think going to 4 plates or higher could jeopardize things.

I've done maybe 2 or 3 workouts in the last few weeks, not really pushing things. Also, I'll need to reign in my diet, as I've pretty much gone back to the tubby fatass I was before my first cut attempt. I don't think it'll take much to get back there, but with the way I've eaten recently, I'm not making things easy on myself.

Today I did some bench with 2 plates, gets hard after 6 reps so didn't bother pushing things. Also, did some db rows with usual weight, and some back hypers, with no added resistance. I figure that I'll use these to help get things going. Also, just for a bit of a stretch I did some bridging over a swiss ball, which caused some pain, but that went away pretty quickly. Also, did some cable crunches to work things on the opposite side. So far it seems like strength is still fine on everything that I'm doing. Pretty much everything but squats doesn't involve the lower back anyway. I'll probably put it to more work once I do a full leg day, since that usually puts a bit more stress on the lowerback, along with loading and unloading plates.

I'm just going to try and take things slow, which has always been my failing, as I try to recover to fast and end up reinjuring myself. I guess I'm just stubborn and stupid with this kinda stuff, since I'm making all the same foolish mistakes that I did with my hamstring last year. I am on the fence right now on whether or not I'll want to persue anything like powerlifting anymore. I guess I'll see how the next couple months go. I haven't been training with Harnek but may go back once I feel comfortable with all the lifts again.

carolinagirl
11-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Yes. Take things slow. And consistent.

And I agree with Molly....don't give up on the PL yet. I think you were born to pick up heavy things.

Moving is a pain in the ass. And I missed you.

heathj
11-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Hey fatass, get in the gym! Time off is good though. Too much time on the internet can be stressful for your life as you don't have one. Hope you figure all things out and get settled down in the house.

Relentless
11-17-2003, 12:48 PM
I think you should definitely take 'er slow but then also definitely go hang with Harnek again.

ElPietro
11-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, we'll see how things go.

Made it to the gym at lunch today.

Did some squatting as sorta workaround for the lowerback.

did 135x6/135x8/225x3/225x5/315x3/315x2

3 plates felt fine, i was doing them almost explosive as the bar was almost popping off my back at the top, but still not TOO fast out of the hole. Plenty deep regardless, so it was good to at least lift almost significant weight, albeit not too many times.

Then did some back hypers and did some more bridge stretching on the swiss ball, then some further stretching on the floor.

Did 20 minutes on the ellyptical and that was it.

My shoulders felt pretty rusty and it took quite some time to get them warmed up enough to get the pain out during squats.

I have a plan forming on a workout scheme for now just to get by during lunch hours, but i'll start it next week.

chris mason
11-18-2003, 06:38 PM
I was wondering what had become of you. You hurt your bacK? I am sorry to hear that. I messed mine up quite badly when I was in my early 20s. Mine came back, more or less, I hope yours does the same.

rookiebldr
11-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Welcome back to posting Pete. Time for a session soon.

ElPietro
11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks again, Chris if you have any advice or cautions feel free to mention them. I think the only major problem is me being stubborn and trying to rush things too much. The injury occured on the upward phase of the deadlift, a result of bad form with the bar too far out infront of me, and me not relenting and dropping the weight. Then when testing it a month later bad form again with just 4 plates, and I "think" I heard two pops come from my lower back. So this seems pretty obvious to me to be a strained spinal erector, or something of that nature responsible for back extension.

Currently when I wake up sometimes it's a bit stiff at the far end of the ROM, but I think that's not far off normal for anyone when their back is cold anyway. I think flexibility isn't too bad, but I'll work on getting it better than previous, and slowly start adding resistance week to week. If you have any other thoughts feel free to let me know.

Anyway, I made it into the gym today, didn't know what to do, so decided to actually do a somewhat proper workout and get my lats back in gear for next week.

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns:

140x8/180x8/200x8/210x7/210x6

*Strict form, no back sway or any business of that nature.

HS High Rows:

180x8/250x6/250x6

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

DB Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

Finished off with a quick 10 minutes on the ellyptical.

Tomorrow I think I'll do a dedicated shoulder and trap workout. Maybe with some added work on the tris to help get ready for next week. Generally I feel these cause my bench work to lag if I give them too much time off.

Jeff, sure we can set something up sometime, just let me get into a bit more of a groove first. I feel way better now that I've had a string of workouts, energy levels are higher and feeling stronger and perhaps a bit slimmer due to better diet control. I can never really diet while not in my workout routine for some reason. Poor discipline I guess.

On a humourous note, my first official mortgage payment went two weeks delinquent. :D The fookers were trying to get the money from the wrong account, and then I get some collections letter saying I haven't payed. Oh well, taken care of but just another thing that gets heaped on to the "worry list." I knock a few things off, and then more get piled on. Does it ever end?

ElPietro
11-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Wow, 4 days in a row, check me out.

Tried some shoulder work today, and as I suspected they were mighty weak. I could feel them limiting me on bench when I tried on monday, but didn't think I'd feel this weak.

Standing BB Millies:

135x6/135x2-4?

*Bleh, felt unsteady and didn't feel like cheating with the legs so I just called it quits. This is pretty much the first workout where they are getting some direct work in some months.

DB Flyes:

30x6/30x6/30x6/30x6

Alternating Front DB Raise:

20x6/20x6/20x6

I then decided to do more lower back rehab stuff. Consisted of stretching a bit more aggressively, 3 sets of back extensions, a couple of sessions of bridging over the swiss ball. Stretching was very good, ROM is right there, and I think that I'll cautiously add some resistance next week. I'll probably just grab a plate for extensions for now, do a week more of that, and then I'll try to get something like light deads or something into the equation. Or maybe I'll use one of those back extension machines versus the bench made for it. Then I can add/reduce weight more easily. Things felt pretty good anyway.

Moved on to some ab work.

Cable Crunches on Lat Pulley:

95x8/105x8/115x8/115x8

DB Side Bends:

70x8/70x8

Ended with a quick 5 minutes on an exercise bike and that was it. I think tomorrow night will be a full leg workout.

Volleyball tonight.

Relentless
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM
good to see you lifting again, amigo

IceRgrrl
11-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Yup...good to see you getting back to the workouts and easing the back into action. That flooring job sounds like quite the project! When are we going to see some pictures of the finished product? ;)

ElPietro
11-21-2003, 08:30 AM
It's all still a big mess. I haven't really gone out and got much as far as accent pieces or crap like that. Those things make a house look like a home. I'll probably work on that next week, since the flooring will be done on sunday, or heads will roll. My furniture hasn't come yet, so the pullout couch is upstairs because I haven't had the manpower to get it downstairs. Downstairs is a mess as there is about a 12'x12' area just filled with boxes and other sh!t just all piled up. But my pc and home theater is there, and the one semi-comfy chair, so that is my new lair for now.

Maybe I'll take some pictures on the weekend, I am pretty sure I saw my camera downstairs somewhere.

rookiebldr
11-21-2003, 11:12 PM
4 workouts in a row, ace. No problem Pete. I'm not in an hurry, take your time, get in the grove, diet some, and may be I'll be pressing 2 plates when we meet. :)

ElPietro
11-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Well, I neglected to post friday's workout, so here it is. That makes it 5 days last week, plus volleyball, which is sort of a workout since I'm the only one on the team that competes and actually dives for plays and stuff.

Did some leg stuff friday, just to ease back in.

45 Degree Leg Press:

6 plates x8/8 plates x8/10 plates x8/12 plates x8/14 plates x8/16 plates x8/14 plates x8/12 plates x8/10 plates x8

*Final couple sets were done pretty fast. Was somewhat pooped. Looks like strength isn't too bad.

Lying Hammy Curls:

60x8/90x8/100x5

**Memory fails me here, I think that I bombed the second set, but the set of 90 were explosive reps, I may be off on the number of reps, etc, but whatever.

Leg Extensions:

stack x8/stack x8/150 x8 (single leg)/150 x8 (single leg)

***The stack is basically useful for warmup only. I think it goes to 250.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8

****Wow, felt weak, decided not to worry too much about it, I'm sure everything will suck first time working it again.

DB Shrugs:

120x8/120x8/100x8/100x8

Can't remember if I did any ab or back stuff, maybe some stretching, but whatever.

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical, then went up to the boxing room and worked a few kicks to stretch out the hips a bit. Was pretty pathetic but hey, I gotta start somewhere.

I'll post the weekend events, and today's workout in a bit.

WillKuenzel
11-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Damn, 5 days in a row last week, weekend stuff and working out today too! Talk about jumping back in with both feet. Awesome dude!

ElPietro
11-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Ok, weekend was somewhat busy. Did a lot of running around. Returned a crappy tv I bought at Costco, and bought a new better tv, that ended up costing me double the money. I also impulse bought an x-box game system, and a DVD burner. :cool: So I guess I can say that I had to lift and carry a tv back to costco, and then carry a tv to my car and up the stairs, so that counts as some back work.

Sunday, we finished the rest of the flooring upstairs, so that's a big ass monkey off my back. Also, managed to get the pull-out couch downstairs, so that's more exercise for me. I ended up also carrying a tv base cabinet up two flights of stairs which was akward, and then for the final killer lower back workout, I finally managed to carry the safe I bought downstairs. It was fookin heavy, and my back is sore today, most likely as a result of that damned safe. Then during the late football game I became inspired to complete the painting of the fake plastic wood panelled bookcase that I have. So I primed it a few weeks ago, and then put a couple fresh coats of white paint on it, and now it doesn't look as cheesy as it did. Felt good that I actually got some sh!t accomplished this weekend.

Today was my chest day, and decided not to do any rehab/strengthening of my back given the weekends workload.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/225x7

*Felt alright, no spotter so didn't push it, or go heavier.

Incline DB Press:

80x6

**Whatever. It felt heavy, first time on that in a long time, plus I think my shoulders are in horrid shape right now. They will become the focus I think.

Dips:

BWx6/BWx5

***This is a result of me being weaker, and also fatter, so less strength and more weight to move = less reps. :(

Single Arm Triceps Pulldowns:

65x6/55x6

Triceps Pushdowns:

Stack x8/Stack x8

Finished with 5 minutes on the exercise bike. Hopefully I can keep better control of my diet this week and actually see some improvement. Protein intake has been rather dismal, and eating out needs to be controlled better. That's it for now.

ElPietro
11-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield
Damn, 5 days in a row last week, weekend stuff and working out today too! Talk about jumping back in with both feet. Awesome dude!

Hey Will, thanks. :) Usually I seem to be an "all or nothing" type of trainee. I don't diet unless I workout, etc. So hopefully all will fall into place. Training at my old gym at lunch is basically how I had some ok gains on the one cut I had success on. So maybe I can duplicate that effort, and then eventually go back to the other gym and train with my powerlifting training partner. Of course, that's only if I feel confident that my back is good enough to allow me to train/compete.

MixmasterNash
11-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I also impulse bought an x-box game system, and a DVD burner. :cool:

Well, we know that your thumbs will be getting a good workout from now on. I wish I could afford an x-box...

JustinF
11-26-2003, 05:17 AM
Good to see ya back at it Pete.

I made the same impulse buy last year, but I hardly use my xbox.. :(

ElPietro
11-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Hey guys, yes the x-box would probably just be a dust collector, were it not for x-box live. I will probably sign up this week when I get a chance. Bought a router last night, so just need to run about 50' of cat5e cable and some minor drilling into my house and I'll be able to activate an account. I get bored playing against AI, but against others online it can be a lot of fun. Or if I have company it'll be one more thing to do.

Got to the gym last night for some back/biceps excitement.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

130x8/170x8/200x8/200x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

HS High Rows:

160x8/250x6/210x6 or 8 (memory fails me)

DB Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8

Did about 12 minutes on the ellyptical, then stretched a bit. After that I went upstairs into the boxing room and did a bit of kicking for maybe 10 minutes or so. That's it.

ElPietro
11-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Sucky shoulder/traps workout.

standing millies
bar x8/bar x8/135x6/135x4

db side delt flyes

35x6/35x6/35x6

db front raise

20x8/20x8/20x8

bb shrugs
135x8/225x8/315x8/405x8/405x6

db shrugs

120x8/120x8/100x8

Stretched my back a little bit, which was kinda sore, and then did some back hypers. One set no weight, second set I grabbed a 35 plate. Then arch/bridge streched it over a swiss ball, which always seems to illicit pain. Not sure if I should bother doing it or not, but whatever.

That's all for now, have a volleyball game tonight.

Saint Patrick
11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Volleyball = teh r0x0rZ

rookiebldr
11-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey guys, yes the x-box would probably just be a dust collector, were it not for x-box live. I will probably sign up this week when I get a chance. Bought a router last night, so just need to run about 50' of cat5e cable and some minor drilling into my house and I'll be able to activate an account. I get bored playing against AI, but against others online it can be a lot of fun. Or if I have company it'll be one more thing to do.

Did you look into wireless?

ElPietro
12-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Sure I looked into wireless. All I'd need is to buy a wireless router, then have to spend probably an extra $100 on a wireless NIC for my PC, and then buy a $200 wireless adapter for the xbox, but hey, it would save me from buying that $30 cable.

I had a sh!tty chest workout yesterday. Everything I tried was weak so I gave up early. I won't bother posting.

Today was lat/bi day.

CG Pulldowns

130x8/160x8/210x8/210x6/190x8

Single Arm DB Rows

120x8/120x8

HS High Rows

230x8/230x6

DB Conc. Curls

40x8/40x6

DB Hammer Curls

40x8/40x8

I felt like crap. I may have had too much ephedrine since I haven't been taking it lately. Felt overheated, naseous, almost puked several times during sets, and generally my pulse was racing more than usual. My back was bothering me a bit this morning, probably from lack of activity on the weekend, and also these long f*cking drives into work having it in the same position are probably the worst f*cking thing for it right now. I keep squirming trying to find a good position but it is pretty damned sore when I finally get out of the bloody car upon arrival at work. I guess I should stretch it in the morning before getting in the car, so it's not already stiff.

I am kinda tired of thinking no progress is being made. I may start a slightly more aggressive rehab, either that or seek at some chiro or back specialist.

WillKuenzel
12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
I don't know if they have portable heating pads but having one on your back while driving might help.

ElPietro
12-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Ah, that might be an idea. Actually, I think I even have one that I considered useless as it took awhile to heat up. But I guess if I have a long drive and I'm using it just to get some bloodflow going on then it may be an alright thing to do. I believe it even had an annoying massage setting that may help get things semi-loose. I'm glad I thought of it. :)

Went to the gym for my wednesday optional workout.

Decided to do a little bit of squatting.

squats

135x3/135x6/225x3/225x5/315x2/365x1

*just wanted to see how things were, and also do some indirect work on the lower back. no apparent pain and felt ok. haven't been training much on legs so good to see i'm not super, super weak.

pulldown abs on lat pulley

95x8/105x8/115x8

Also did 10 minutes on the ellyptical, not sure what else, some easy stuff or stretching maybe, it was just a half ass workout, and was chatting half the time anyway. tomorrow i'll work on shoulders and traps. shoulders i think are a major issue, strength-wise right now, so i need to get them up to par.

ElPietro
12-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Today was Delt/Trap day.

Standing Millies

bar x8/bar x8/135x6/135x5/135x4

*man, still weak, but I think it's more due to the fact that I can't really lean back with my lower back as it is, so the angle is much weaker for this exercise.

DB Lateral Raise

35x8/35x8/35x6

DB Front Raise

25x6/25x6/25x6

DB Rear Delt Raise

25x6/25x6/25x6

BB Shrugs

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/475x5

DB Shrugs

120x8/120x8/120x6

Went upstairs and did some kicking for maybe five minutes, very low intensity. That's it.

Got two volleyball games tonight.

ElPietro
12-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Well, today I made it back to the gym. I missed out on life all last week with the flu. So was basically cooped up either in bed, or in my basement busy finishing Knights of the Old Republic on x-box. I felt even weaker than before probably due to the flu. I'll probably take this week sorta easy and not push things too much, as I'm sure there is enough to handle with recovering from being sick.

Workout was really crappy, just a couple sets of bench, a couple sets for lats, some back hypers, and then 5 or 6 minutes on the ellyptical before I got bored. I decided I didn't feel like going back to work yet, so I did some concentration curls too. Hopefully things will be better next week.

ElPietro
12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Gym today. Something like a shoulder/trap workout, only toned down, and also did a bit of rehab.

Lateral DB Raise

35x6/35x6/35x6

Front DB Raise

25x6/25x6/25x6

BB Shrugs

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/405x5

Conventional Deadlifts

135x5/135x5/135x5 :strong:

Proud of the fact that I didn't add anymore weight.

15 minutes on the ellyptical. I find I normally get tired, but it must be all mental. I was basically on there for the first few minutes, and then started talking to one of the guys that worked there, trying to explain creatine to him for about 10 minutes. So after I was done only had a few minutes left and didn't feel any fatigue. I guess cardio is just "THAT" boring.

Bruteman
12-18-2003, 12:21 PM
15 minutes on the ellyptical. I find I normally get tired, but it must be all mental. I was basically on there for the first few minutes, and then started talking to one of the guys that worked there, trying to explain creatine to him for about 10 minutes. So after I was done only had a few minutes left and didn't feel any fatigue. I guess cardio is just "THAT" boring.

Yes it is my friend. Yes it is.

I'd probably added weight to the deads myself. That's why I stay away from working out when I'm hurt. I just can't help myself. Nice show of self control.

ElPietro
12-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Heh, thanks. I guess having pushed things too far last time I tried to test things out with deads, elliciting a few popping sounds from my lower back finally taught me something. Or maybe it was re-injuring my hamstring twice after tearing it the first time in the gym. :scratch:

I don't know if I can sit inactive for such a long time. I mean I was pretty inactive for a couple months, and then try to get back and boom, I get the damned flu for a week.

Oh well, I just need to rekindle my anger, and focus it appropriately on my training. :D

Maybe I'll have to take it out on the volleyball court tonight. Such a brutally, violent sport. :redface:

JustinF
12-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Good to see ya back posting sessions, Pete.

About the back while driving, if you get a good *gangsta lean* going, that will take care of the pain! :p

IceRgrrl
12-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Sorry to hear that the flu got you...I heard it's really bad this year. Good to see you back to the gym and working your way back to top form. :)

ElPietro
12-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Hey, I try to stretch my back a bit while driving in traffic. I'll generally try to lean forward as far as I can which sometimes loosens it up. But then I almost hit the guy infront of me today while doing it, and then realized that if I did hit him, and my body is pressed right up against the steering wheel while the airbag pops out it could be bad news for me. :p

And yeah, the flu sucks. But it seems whenever I am off for a long time and try to come back, more minor setbacks creep in, so I'm not surprised. Oh well, I guess I'll see how things go from here on out.

Bruteman
12-21-2003, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain man. When it rains it pours. I'll be doing good for a long time then I'll get a little injury. From then on I'm fighting off injuries and colds for the next millenia it seems until I'm finally healthy again.

rookiebldr
12-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Damn Pete, I hope you shed this bout of bad luck soon and get your ass in the gym. I'm looking forward to getting a workout with ya in the new year.

JustinF
12-23-2003, 05:43 AM

Bruteman
12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Just wondered how ya' was doin'?

And giving you a little bump :)

Focused70
12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Having the flu sucks eggs, man.

I should know, I had it this past November. The week prior to Turkey Day I still felt crappy, but thankfully that's all gone now.

Soba

Bam Bam
12-31-2003, 06:16 PM
if you would stay away from tryskas ass maybe you wouldnt be sick

btw i used to think you were strong :scratch:

Saint Patrick
12-31-2003, 07:34 PM
if you would stay away from tryskas ass maybe you wouldnt be sick

btw i used to think you were strong :scratch:

Damn El P that Cracka just /pwned you. :p

ElPietro
01-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Lol, sorry people, I missed all these posts assuming my journal had sunk to the nether region of the site.

Well, the flu dragged on forever, and once I was free and clear of that, I had two days of relative health, and then got a cold, or throat infection of some kind. So that lasted until pretty much new years day. So I haven't been to the gym since whenever my last post was, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago.

My first day back was yesterday, and did some upper body push exercises, and then 15 minutes on the ellyptical. With all the inactivity I've got a long way to go to trim up again. So I'm starting to make diet a very high focus again, and will be using fitday until I am into some form of eating routine. I'll try to drop 15 lbs in the next 3 months. Shouldn't be a problem, most of it I gained quick from inactivity, so hopefully a big chunk of that 15 or maybe 20 will come off quick and then I can whittle the rest away.

Felt good to be back at the gym, but man am I weak, thanks for pointing that out bambino. I used to think you were smart, so I guess we both were wrong huh? ;) But then I guess when you're a guy who's taken more blows to the head than Jenna Jameson it kinda figures. :p

Also, with cardio gonna try and get my legs back under me, so I can get back to playing hockey, and of course the back rehab will have to get going again as well. I think I'm going to keep things more towards highish volume in comparison to my regular training, and not worry too much about 1 rm strength, and just focus on cutting.

I'll probably have my training slightly interrupted again in a week or two, as I believe I'll be taking a random trip to Vancouver with a buddy.

rookiebldr
01-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Random trips are great. Have fun. Now that you're back in the gym, relatively healthy and more upbeat from randomness maybe it'll be time for another lifting session.

ElPietro
01-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Well, I've been to the gym once, so still a long way to go. I know you are just trying to show me up since you are Mr. 190 lbs and all. The way things have been going, I fully expect to catch some cold and be sick for the entire month of january as well.

I'm at least happy that I finally heard word that my couch and chair will be delivered on monday, so my living room will no longer be a barren wasteland. :) Soon I'll have to have you over to check out the place. Although, I still have tons to do, it does have a fridge with beer in it. And an x-box.

Tryska
01-06-2004, 09:35 AM
hmm.

seems i'm not the only one in need of a little discipline.

JustinF
01-06-2004, 10:48 AM
it does have a fridge with beer in it. And an x-box.

What else do you need? :p

Good to see ya back.

Bam Bam
01-06-2004, 10:59 AM
welcome back twinkie boy ;)

ElPietro
01-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Well, I made it to the gym again today. That's two days in a row, which constitutes a streak in my book.

Just did a lat workout with a couple sets of curls. Did 10 minutes on the ellyptical but was overheating. I am just getting back on ephedrine, so the effects are a bit more noticeable, and also was wearing a shirt, with a sweater, and then chose an ellyptical that apparently has been placed under a heating duct in the ceiling, so that didn't help matters. Oh well, I'm just going to alternate upper body push/pulls 4 times per week, mix in mucho cardio, and then have a full on leg day friday. Hopefully within a month my strength will be back, and within 2 or 3 months my weight will be at a more preferable level. Diet is the key, however, I don't even know if I need to eat less, or just eat more protein. It seems when my diet slacks, protein drops off to insignificant levels.

Tina-poo, feel free to "discipline" me anytime you choose. No glass penis though. tuttut We can discuss the riding crop...

Oh, and if anyone decides to make a trip up to good ole toronto again, I have plenty more space this time around. I think I can sleep a small army in my new place.

Tryska
01-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Tina-poo, feel free to "discipline" me anytime you choose. No glass penis thought. tuttut We can discuss the riding crop...

*pout*

you're taking all the fun out of this game.

ElPietro
01-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Hey, I did say I'd entertain the thought of your riding crop didn't I. I mean, I didn't take away all your little weapons now. Besides, you broke that glass penis remember. ;)

Anyway, I almost had a tear of joy this morning, as I woke up and nearly fell when I got out of bed. Man it's been a long time since I've had wobbly legs. As you may or may not guess, this is an indication that I did a leg workout yesterday. Not anything super hard, but still a decent workout at lunch. Quads are done in, and my hammies are killing. I didn't do anything for calves though, but whatever, their calves. In hindsight, this may not have been a great idea, since I have volleyball tonight, but whatever. Also, keeping diet relatively clean. I made a pretty big order to SND at 3pm on tuesday, and the package was delivered to my work at 9am the following morning. So once again, outstanding service. Although, I came to realize last night that Atkins BBQ sauce tastes like ass, and I doubt I'll defile anymore pieces of meat with it. I'll just have to lighten up on my bbq sauce use. This afternoon I'll hit the gym again, I'll just get there and workout on whatever hurts the least. It feels great to be hobbling around again. :)

Tryska
01-08-2004, 07:47 AM
so your physically unstable now?

cool.

*kicks lp in the shins and watches him topple over*

ElPietro
01-08-2004, 11:25 AM
*grabs tina's ass on the way down*

Ugh, well, made it to the gym yet again. I do believe that is 4 days in a row, with volleyball still to go tonight. Did more chest/triceps/shoulders stuff. No cardio today, but volume was much increased. Bench strength seems to be stalled. I'm not sure if my lower back has anything to do with it. I don't see why it should. Anyway, maybe next week I will just go with a couple sessions of heavier sets and hopefully that will eliminate this barrier. Didn't work my tris as hard as I wanted to, but ended up giving the shoulders a bit more focus. I think for the next little while, my tricep strength will be the part I want to get up a bit higher. Started taking full doses of my EC stack, wasn't sure if I remembered to take it before the gym session, but as I felt overheated and felt like throwing up a couple times, I guess I did take it after all.

Tomorrow will be some form of pull session, I may even deadlift 1 plate. :)

Tryska
01-08-2004, 11:46 AM
bastard.

nice going with this little workout streak you got going on.

carolinagirl
01-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Yay deadlifts! Yay workout streak! Yay Petey! (Boo repulsive BBQ sauce.)

I'm back in the gym now too. :angel: Damn, we both rock.

rookiebldr
01-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Beer, x-box. I can't think of anything better. CALL ME. NOW!!!!!

And I see you're trying to make up for all that time not spent in a gym by doing it all in a week. Nice. :)

Budiak
01-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Your new place huh?

Good. Now I wont have to share a bed with a 50-something year old man.

rookiebldr
01-08-2004, 07:24 PM
LOL, he only looked that old. ;)

JustinF
01-09-2004, 03:12 AM
Your new place huh?

Good. Now I wont have to share a bed with a 50-something year old man.

It looked like you enjoyed it with the spooning and all...:D

ElPietro
01-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Well, I made it 5 for 5 as I got to the gym friday after work. I was going to do a pull session again, and did one, but kept it pretty short. Most parts were sore, especially my legs. It was a bit tough since my grip was hindered by my middle finger. I guess when I did pull down abs earlier in the weak, my hand bunched up at the end of the rope, where there's a circular metal plate, and it crushed all my fingers together. This is normal but this time I guess it was worse and it looks like a broken blood vessel. The end of my bloody finger has been swollen since tuesday and looks pretty ugly. I just keep checking to make sure it's a blood vessel and not some kind of infection. I think I pulled off a hangnail on that finger too, so not sure but as long as my finger stays red or "skin" colour, and not green, I won't bother with it.

Anyway, it's good to just relax this weekend. Made my weekly trip to home depot to buy some "stuff" and that was it. Woke up this morning and the couch people called saying their container is being delayed by canada customs until the 22nd, so that kinda pissed me off.

Diet has been pretty good this week, and even today I've so far kept things within moderate control. The scale says I dropped 2 lbs that week. I think in the next 3 or 4 I'll have a rapid drop, and then it'll slow down quite a bit. At least I'm seeing some of the good angles along a few muscle groups, now I just need to keep focusing on diet and becoming unfat through consistency. Time will tell.

Saint Patrick
01-10-2004, 09:22 PM
good luck with the boo-boo on your finger.

Bruteman
01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Nice streak you've got going. Now lets keep it going this week to.

ElPietro
01-13-2004, 01:04 PM
So far so good. I'm finally out of this stupid corporate training BS, and can get back to serious surfing...err, I mean work. :angel:

Finger is getting better now. I guess it was infected after all though, as I gave it a good, albeit painful squeeze on sunday morning, which resulted in some white fluid coming out of it. So I just kept doing it until it was done. Put some anti-bacterial cream on it, and later realized alcohol woulda been a good idea so rinsed it in that. Yesterday I picked away all the dead-ish skin and now it doesn't really look pretty, but it's all pretty much the right colours, and the pain is almost gone. Which is good since today will be a lot of pull exercises.

Yesterday I got to the gym after work. Had an ok session, although strength is still not there on bench. I think it's just a matter of not having asked anyone to spot me ever, so I keep holding back which stops me from gettting back on the horse properly. Anyway, baby steps I guess. I was pretty pissed when I felt near failure after 5 or 6 reps of 225, so I got a guy to spot me on 245 and required fingertip assists on the 4th rep. This sucks but I think will help me start the bench going again. Did a couple sets of dips, a few sets of incline machine bench -- ok, i just realized wtf am i typing it all out like this now, might as well list these feeble poundages to get me going again.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x5 or 6/245x 3+1 fingertip/225x4

:rolleyes:

Dips

BW x6/BW x5

*bleh, shoulders were groaning somewhat.

Flat DB Flyes

40x6/40x6/40x6

Incline Machine Press

190x8/180x6/170x6

DB Lateral Delt Raise -- Superset with -- DB Front Raise

35x6/35x6
20x6/20x6

Really tiring with a superset

Triceps Extensions

I think the stack goes to 225 on the atlantis machine. I did a couple sets experimenting, then a couple sets of 6-8 with I think it was 215, then tried a set with the full stack but it was pretty tough, only 4 I think, then another set or two with on plate left on the stack. Something like that anyway.

Overhead DB Extension

75x6/75x6

Did about 2 minutes on one of those seated exercise bikes, decided it was pretty gay so got on the ellyptical. I only tried it because most of the ellyptical were already taken. Ended up doing about 17 minutes on the ellyptical at a good clip. Set it for 15 minutes but still felt pretty good, but then got lazy and jumped off after a bit.

Went and stretched for a few minutes and that was it.

Eating hasn't been that great. Not on for macro breakdown, but probably not too far over on calories.

Ended up buying Morrowind game of the year edition for x-box yesterday, and the book Cryptonomicon, since I finished the latest Terry Goodkind novel that appeased my mindless fantasy need. I also found my copy of Atlas Shrugged last night, it was lost in the move for a long long time, and I only had about 100 pages left to go. 100 pages is only like .000134% of the total book, so hopefully I can get a chance to finally finish this bugger off not that I've found it.

My back still feels weak, more so when I am leaning back. I need to start over again and get my strength up on it, as I feel it is having some form of carryover on other lifts. Usually core stability has been a strong point for me, but right now it probably isn't very good at all. I'll probably hit it at the gym tonight, although it may be embarrassing to deadlift with only a plate or so on the bar. :(

Anyway, this has been a nice long rambling entry, and I shall stfu now. :)

carolinagirl
01-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Cryptonomicon is only the best book EVER.

If you don't love it, I shall kill you.

rookiebldr
01-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Great talking to you on the phone, Pete but it was way too short. We really do need some gym time and some food to get caught up on stuff.

Your deads might suck now, but just as you said, resist the urge to climb too fast. Heal that body. I want to see you deadlift over 500 again when I do. ;)

ElPietro
01-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Heathy, I sure hope it is. I'd hate to get half way through a 1k+ page book and find out it sucks. ;) I guess I should bring it home though, it's hard to get too far into it with 15 minute lunch breaks.

Jeff, good talking to you my man. Hopefully you had a safe flight, despite my unintentional jinx. :p I'm just trying not to worry about how much I deadlift right now. If I really did give it any serious thought, I'd probably get depressed.

Anyway, here is yesterday's workout, which makes it 7 straight weekdays, and everything going as planned. It was a fairly extended workout as far as they go for me.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

120x12/150x6/210x8/225x6/240x4.5/210x6/195x6

*Decided to start getting some strength back. And although this is an atlantis machine now that I'm not used to, the resistance seems roughly the same on the lat pulley part. It uses a band instead of a cable, and feels smoother.

HS High Rows:

230x8/230x6

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**I miss the fact that my other gym's DBs go to 200.

Single Arm DB Preacher Curls:

45x8/35x8

***Can't remember if I did a third set.

Superset:

DB Concentration Curls:/Forearm Curls/Reverse Forearm Curls

CC: 30x8/30x8
FC: 30x10/30x10
RFC: 20x8/20x8

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8

DB Hammer Curls:

30x8/30x8/30x8

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/135x5/135x5/135x5/135x5 :cool::cool:

****I had a few funny looks from people who've seen me deadlift before.

Then I jumped on the ellyptical for 19 minutes. It's funny, I got on beside a buddy of mine I hadn't seen in a while, and was basically going pretty hard, but talking to him the whole time, I didn't even notice the 15 minutes go buy, then he was done and left, I still felt totally fresh so decided to keep going. The funny thing is, shortly thereafter, the lactic burn began, so I only lasted another 4 minutes. It makes me wonder if it's somehow psycosomatic. If so, I should just talk to whoever's beside me all the time, then I could go for an hour no prob. :p

Did a few minute of stretching and that was all she wrote. Today is leg day. :)

JustinF
01-14-2004, 07:20 AM
which makes it 7 straight weekdays, and everything going as planned. :)

:eek: NIce job, yo.

Those are some hella strong deads! ;)

ElPietro
01-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks dude, it wasn't just that it was a pretty hefty weight, but also consider the amount of volume I repped out at that weight as well. :)

Well, there was a huge f*cking snowstorm yesterday, so those of us that have a long drive home were told to go home a bit early. This didn't really help me, as I was going to the gym anyway. So today I had leg day, but needed to really drag out this workout, so I took a ton of time in between sets to elongate the session.

45 Degree Leg Press:

6 plates x10/10 plates x8/12 plates x8/14 plates x8/16 plates x8/18 plates x8/20 plates x4/12 plates x8

*Woo. That is actually a record. I've never put 20 plates on and tried it, 1k lbs here I come. It wasn't to failure at 4 reps, in fact each rep felt equally difficult, so I'm not even sure if I was close to failure or not, but using a weight I haven't tried before I decided not to push things too much. The bad news, is that that is all the weight I can fit on that leg press. They have other ones that are more vertical, and have 2 arms on either side to hold plates, so I guess I'll have to eventually switch if I want to go any higher than that.

Lying Hammy Curls:

60x10/90x6/90x6/90x6

**I think everything in my lower body was exhausted from the leg press. These were a tad tougher than they shoulda been.

Seated Leveraged Calf Raise:

45x10/45x10

***I was really just taking a break and resting. I didn't feel like loading up the standing calf raise, as I can do as much on that as leg press. The padding on the seated calf thing must be worn down since it was killing my legs. The lever arm on the machine is like 6' long, so 45 lbs isn't exactly light, but normally I think I'd be using in the 70-90 lb range. But if the padding is worn through, that machine is now dead to me.

Hip Adductor/Abductor:

****I don't know what the weight was, but it was pretty much the whole stack. These were the new atlantis machines, and that pisses me off, since they are replacing the old ones and will not provide sufficient resistance.

Leg Extensions:

150x12/210x8/250x8/250x8

*****Had to figure out how the weight was on this new machine as well. At least it looks like it goes to about 300, so maybe there is now a leg extension machine that I don't have to train one leg at a time. 250 wasn't easy, but hard to tell considering my legs were still blasted from the leg press.

Cable Crunches:

180x8/90x8/105x8/105x8

******The new atlantis setup has a ton of different pulleys. The fist one was done on a single pulley system, I guess designed for all the triceps/crossover type stuff. So the stack probably wouldn't have been enough. But then discovered on the side a double pulley with a lot of distance between the two pulleys. This was the good one, similar to what I used with the old equipment.

Hanging Leg Raises:

3 sets of 8

DB Side Bends:

75x8/75x8/85x8

Did a quick bit of stretching and that was pretty much it. I managed to stretch this out over 2 hours, I barely broke a sweat considering I took lots of breaks in between sets. I then made a shake, let my car warm up while I relaxed at the gym reception area. In the end it still sucked driving home. I think I passed an average of one stalled car/accident every 3-5 minutes on my way to the highway. It only took an hour and ten minutes to get to the damned highway as well. :mad:

Tryska
01-15-2004, 08:00 AM
hey assface! would you kindly tell whoever is in charge of the weather up in the Great White North to please stop f*cking with our Gulfstream down here? i'm a bit tired of all this winter-like weather.

ElPietro
01-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I wish I could hit you in the head with a snowball right now.

Tryska
01-15-2004, 08:12 AM
but you can't, so suck it up buttercup.

ElPietro
01-15-2004, 08:13 AM
That's enough out of you. Smallfry.

Tryska
01-15-2004, 08:21 AM
:p

ElPietro
01-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Tonight I have volleyball, so worked out at lunch.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8

*Decided that if I'm gonna do chest twice a week that I won't flat bench, so just took the plates off and moved on.

Incline DB Press:

70x8/70x8

**Wow, this actually taxed me a bit, decided to leave it there for today, I'll just progress each day till I'm back where I used to be.

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

105x12/135x8/160x 4 or 5/135x8/120x8*/120x8*/135x8*

***Until my back is much stronger I think I'll do this and avoid standing barbell militaries. It puts too much strain on my lower back when arched. The asterisk denotes a change to neutral grip from pronated. Just for kicks.

Did a quick set of whatever of triceps pushdowns to let them know they had to do some work.

SkullCrushers:

90x8/90x8/90x 6 or 8

****Wow, maybe it is my tris that are the weak point right now. I will definitely address this. 90 shoulda been a bit easier, but not too worried about it. I will just focus on progressing and not despair over being weak. Form was strict though, so no drifting of the elbows as I see most do.

Superset:

Flat DB Flyes:

40x8/40x8/40x8

Triceps Pushdowns:

3 sets [8,8,7] with I think 2 bars short of the stack.

55x6/60x6/50x6

Ended things off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical.

My rant of the day is against Deseigner f*cking Whey. I seriously regret ordering it. I remember back in the day using it, and it's fine with a blender, but in the bottles I use for the gym the sh!t doesn't mix. I had to go to the caf and break up all the nice powdery globules floating at the top, that stick to your teeth like super-glue if you try to down it as is. I don't know why I strayed from EAS, their powder didn't taste half as good, but considering my shakes last about 8 seconds, I could really care less. Bleh, only five bloody pounds of the sh!t to consume and then I'll switch back.

ElPietro
01-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow, it's a good thing I have no confidence in this site's ability to function correctly, it took 15 minutes for this to post. Good thing I make copies of all posts over one line now, so when the website screws up I haven't lost everything.

Bruteman
01-15-2004, 09:53 PM
It's starting to look like a lifting journal in here again. There are sets and reps and weights being listed. You're getting on a roll now dude :thumbup: BTW, nice leg pressin' :bow:

Saint Patrick
01-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Volleyball Rules.

ElPietro
01-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Yeah, it's good to stick to a schedule.

Volleyball was really fun on thursday. My team is just me, and old guy that sucks, and the rest are young lovely ladies. The sucky guy didn't show, so we didn't have a full team, but played our best of the year and actually had fun for once. Usually it's just me diving all over the place, and the rest of the team standing around watching the ball hit the ground. But we worked well together.

Friday I had a decent lat workout that I never posted. I can't remember everything so I'll just summarize roughly.

I started with some wide grip lat pulldowns. I can't remember the last time I did a wide grip lat exercise, so as a result wasn't that strong. Highest I got up to I think was 195. Did some db rows, some high rows, some biceps stuff and trap work. Did 5 sets of deadlifts with 135 lbs again. The last 3 sets were speed sets though, so more than 135lbs of strain. I'll up the weight a bit this week, and stick to this one day of regular pace, and one speed day, and up the weight each week. I finished with 15 minutes on the ellyptical.

Saturday I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in a long time and ended up getting quite sloshed. The last thing I remember was getting to my friend and his girlfriends place, telling them what I want on the pizza they were ordering, and then apparently passing out well before the pizza arrived. Luckily some was leftover when I awoke. I then took a cab back to where I was hoping my car was still parked, and drove home.

Sunday afternoon I watched my Colts lose. :(

Sunday night I went and played for my hockey team for the first time in about 3 or 4 months. I guess two weeks of light to moderate work on the ellyptical is insufficient to get back in hockey shape. Oh well, we came back from 3-1 to tie it in the end. The team still has lots of sucky players, and I tried not to yell at them too much my first game back in so long. :p No points or penalties for me. Usually I can at least achieve one of those two. :(

Oh well, new week, hopefully diet will stay on track as it has in general, and training should as well.

PizDoff
01-19-2004, 09:46 AM
hey assface! would you kindly tell whoever is in charge of the weather up in the Great White North to please stop f*cking with our Gulfstream down here? i'm a bit tired of all this winter-like weather.

bah, weakling!

Tryska
01-19-2004, 09:48 AM
damn straight. after 20 years of lake effect snow, i'm over it.

PizDoff
01-19-2004, 09:58 AM
:D

Snow shoveling is a good workout! Think of it as self-improvement!

ElPietro
01-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah, come shovel my driveway biotch!

PizDoff
01-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Where is your driveway biotch?!?!?

ElPietro
01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Brampton.

Ok, went for a quick push session at lunchtime.

I am now officially recording my lifts in my notebook again so I don't forget what I did.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x10/225x3/255x6*/225x8*

*The sets of 135 are speed sets. Fingertip assistance wa required on the final rep of each of the work sets. I was happy though. Considering how weak I've been, when I got under the bar I told the guy somewhere between 2-5 reps for 255, and I'm glad that I ended up on the high end of that range, with only slight assistance required for the final rep. First 2 or 3 were pretty fast on the concentric. Even 225 I was pleased with how it felt. I guess I just needed to push myself a bit past that threshold to get things going.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/45x8

Superset:

DB Lateral Raise + DB Front Raise

LR: 35x8/35x8
FR: 20x8/20x8

**Man this makes me wanna puke. Go from one to the next with no break. Shoulders = on fire.

Standing Overhead DB Extensions:

80x8/80x8/80x7

Heavy Lat Pulley Triceps Pushdowns:

75x8/90x8/90x8

***This felt roughly equivalent to 210 on the other one.

Well, that's pretty much it. No cardio, the machines have all been moved upstairs, and all the weight stuff was crammed into half the gym, as I guess they'll be doing some construction on the other half.

rookiebldr
01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Nice benching for coming off so much deconditioning.

Bruteman
01-19-2004, 09:28 PM
:withstupi

ElPietro
01-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Wow, does this site only f*ck up when I need to post a journal entry? 15 more minutes since I tried to do it. Good thing as usual I save a copy until it's posted.

Here was my post:

Thanks, it's nice to finally see some progress.

Just got back from a pull session. I hardly ate anything before hand, which sucked, and also forgot my water bottle, which uber-sucked. :mad:

CG Lat Pulldowns:

135x8/180x5/210x8/225x6/240x4/195x8/195x8

*Form very strict. No body sway, or lean-out at all.

HS High Rows:

250x6/230x7

DB Preacher Curls:

45x5/35x8

**Bah, the preacher bench was set really high, and it's near impossible to adjust with the f*cking adjustment handle thingy ripped off, so I was on my tiptoes doing it. I wonder what homo made it that high when you can f*cking crouch down doing them if need be.

DB Shrugs:

100x8/100x8/100x8

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/135x5/185x5/185x5/185x5

***Ha! I have now increased my 5 rm by 50 lbs in one week. :cool::cool: Actually, I was kinda pissed, as my back was on fire from those. But after I was out of the shower it was fine, so I was happy that it probably was just from being worked, and not from being hurt or whatever. I will keep that weight and just increase speed on my next pull session, and then go to two whole god damned plates after that.

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/50x8

On the topic of body composition: I wish my love handles would just f*ck off and die!
:swear::swear:

That's all for now.

Tryska
01-20-2004, 12:06 PM
damn. aggressive today, aren't you?

ElPietro
01-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Poor sleep + No food = ~Angry Peter.

JustinF
01-21-2004, 11:24 AM
On the topic of body composition: I wish my love handles would just f*ck off and die!
:swear::swear:

That's all for now.

I understand completely. :( Maybe another contest is due? Doesn't have to be any prize involved if you don't want....just a friendly thing? Seems to be the only way I can get my ass motivated and in gear! :(

Nice session, BTW.

Bam Bam
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
yeah where is cal anyway

and peit is he going to whoop you again j/k

ElPietro
01-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Cool, only 10 minutes and two attempts to post this message:

I guess that will depend on whether or not I re-injure my back, and stop training for 3 months. I hope not.

Diet has been good though, things are coming along. I DID just get back from lunch and had chinese, but I don't mind getting some extra greasy calories on leg day. No lunch workout as I doubt I could load and then unload the leg press in the time I have. I'll have to get back to squatting at some point as well. Maybe I'll start that next week.

Justin motivation is weird with me. Sometimes I need it external, sometimes not. When I actually find something that truly does motivate me, I really get things done. Unfortunately, finding that motivation is always a pain in the ass. I've been hitting the gym regularly now, and feel that I can stick to this routine for a while and make gains until my back feels near 100%. Then I'll maybe slide into a more power-centric routine.

I have actually made significant gains in appearance these past couple weeks. Things just go really quickly for me when I can actually combine regular training and good diet, or at least sufficient protein.

I also got a haircut last night, so that must have reduced my weight some. :p

Tryska
01-21-2004, 11:53 AM
i think you are the cause of this board choking everyday after lunch.

ElPietro
01-21-2004, 12:06 PM
It's always right around 2 pm too. Does Dan's host have a happy hour on bandwidth, causing everything to screw up each day... :scratch:

Tryska
01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
no - it's definitely you.

Bruteman
01-21-2004, 04:10 PM
It's always right around 2 pm too. Does Dan's host have a happy hour on bandwidth, causing everything to screw up each day... :scratch:

Oh, this happens to everyone? I thought it was just my crappy old computer.

ElPietro
01-22-2004, 07:40 AM
No it's pretty standard Brute, happened a few times yesterday.

Well, here is last nights leg day.

45 Degree Leg Press:

6 plates x8/10 plates x8/12 plates x8/14 plates x8/16 plates x8/18 plates x8/
20 plates x8/16 plates x8/14 plates x8

*Wow, 20 felt actually not bad at all. I'm sure I could have gone further, but 8 is usually my top end for things. The last two sets were done quite fast, as were most of the previous sets before 18 plates. I overheard someone comment on how the machine was moving as I was doing my set. It's basically just sitting on a rug and not secured to the floor, so when I am doing any sets fast the whole apparatus sorta slides back and forth on the floor. I guess I now have to use the other leg press that I haven't tried. I scratched a line on my arm where the bars end on that leg press, and then put my arm up to the plates on the one I was using, to determine that each bar on the one I'll have to use can hold 8 plates, but it has four arms instead of two longer ones, so that means 32 plates, which I doubt I'll outgrow. Soon. :p

Calf Raise on Leg Press:

14 plates x10/12 plates x12

**Did a couple low sets with one foot at a time, but it seemed for some reason too heavy today for only single foot calf raise, but too light for two.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

60x8/90x8/100x6

Hanging Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

***These are done with completely straight legs, toes pointed out, to just above waist height, in case anyone cares to know.

Leg Extensions:

215x8/245x8/260x8

Hips:

Did some abductor and adductor stuff. The machine stack isn't enough so these things are dead to me.

Cable Crunches:

210x8/210x8/210x8

Did a good long stretch session, maybe 10-15 minutes, and that was it. Felt great, and was pretty much happy on all fronts.

Gotta run for the day though. Offsite meeting downtown till 5pm. :mad:

Relentless
01-22-2004, 09:08 AM
nice to see you back in the saddle again, Pete!

no cutting contest for me just now as I reckon on adding a bit more mass before attempting another springtime cut for summer... I gained a bit when I was in Oz but I reckon it's about half beef and half flab, so not too bad considering my diet was mostly crap, and lots of it! Plus i was still beach-worthy by the end of the trip, so I guess I did alright. ;)

Pete -- the adductor machines too girly for you? Time to hop on the HomeYield bandwagon and start doing WEIGHTED LUNGES. :) They will kick your ass, plus they're good for you.

WillKuenzel
01-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Pete -- the adductor machines too girly for you? Time to hop on the HomeYield bandwagon and start doing WEIGHTED LUNGES. :) They will kick your ass, plus they're good for you.
:nod: Damn skippy! Ask anybody else that has started doing them. Good for you! Builds character too. :p

ElPietro
01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I am the king of evading meetings. :cool: So now I'm back and will probably go workout early-ish, and then suffer through traffic so I can actually relax a bit before volleyball tonight.

I'm not sure if lunges will be the same thing as adductor and abductor motions. Maybe side lunges, dunno. I was just pissed since the old machine had plenty of weight left so that it would always be challenging, but now they have replaced them with all these shiny new, blue padded faggy atlantis machines, made for women or guys who lift like women.

I don't think direct work is all that important, i'm sure lunges would in fact hit the hip flexors quite hard, so maybe i'll give them a try at some point. I just hate when something that works is replaced by something that doesn't, and then labelled as an improvement to the gym, so they can justify rate increases. I think they are getting rid of half of the power racks as well. :mad:

ElPietro
01-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Made it for a push session after work. Working on somewhat low calories, definitely low protein anyway.

Incline DB Bench:

45x10/70x8/85x8/90x6

*Felt pretty good, only second time on em, and feeling much better with them. Last set wasn't to failure, I probably could have gotten a few more reps, but not in a rush with these.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x6/45x6

**Didn't do full sets of these as they were irritating my shoulders too much. The amount of tension is quite variable dependent on how straight your arms are and how far down you take them. I generally go quite deep and keep the arms straight, so more stress on shoulders and elbows.

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

Pronated Grip: 145x8/165x8/180x4
Neutral Grip: 135x8/150x8

EZ-Curl Skulls:

105x6/105x6

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/85x7

Triceps Extensions:

200x8/210x7

EZ-Curl Front Shoulder Raise:

90x8/110x8/110x8

***Hmmm...for some reason I can't remember what I used to refer to these as. Haven't done them in years. It's where you have the bar infront of you and pull it up close to your body, until it's level with the shoulders. Hands are close together for the grip.

I went through another fairly extensive stretching session after this, maybe 10 minutes worth. Then went upstairs, just did five minutes or so on the ellyptical and got bored.

I'll be taking off for volleyball in 10 minutes, so there's my cardio for the day. Well, that's 14 out of 14 for my scheduled workouts, plus 2 for 2, soon to be 3 for 3 on volleyball, and 1 for 1 on hockey in the past three weeks. I am seeing changes and am eating decently, so it's only a matter of time until I am unfat.

JustinF
01-23-2004, 06:52 AM
NIce work Pete. Keep it up.

Relentless
01-23-2004, 10:00 AM
EZ-Curl Front Shoulder Raise:

90x8/110x8/110x8

***Hmmm...for some reason I can't remember what I used to refer to these as. Haven't done them in years. It's where you have the bar infront of you and pull it up close to your body, until it's level with the shoulders. Hands are close together for the grip.

upright rows or 'sailor press' are the commonest terms, IIRC

you mean this one, right?http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html

ElPietro
01-26-2004, 08:16 AM
I didn't click the link, but upright rows is the name I was looking for. Just been a long time since I've done em.

Had a meeting downtown, with breakfast that started at 7:30 am. :mad: I had to get up at 5:30 that morning, and of course had trouble sleeping the night before. Meeting ended at 10, met up with a buddy for lunch then skipped the rest of the day off and went home and slept. My body was killing me anyway so figured that a day off training would be best. I didn't realize that we had two games of volleyball thursday night, so I was actually really tired after the second game, having come from the gym.

Went out drinking that night, crashed at a buds, and then chilled the rest of the weekend. Last night I had late night hockey, didn't get home till 1am, and I don't think I fell asleep till 4am. :( We won at least, no points for me again, but I did deliver a rather bone-crushing hit along the boards. I actually felt guilty, especially when the guy appeared like he was out for a moment and didn't get up. But he was fine and I had a nice two minute rest in the box. If I can't get a point, I will at least get on the gamesheet other ways!

Diet was crap on the weekend, but I'll try to get somewhat on track this week. Back to training today.

JustinF
01-27-2004, 03:52 AM
Nice job on laying that fool out!! :evillaugh

Keep it legal next time. (unless ya need the breather) :p

IceRgrrl
01-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Last night I had late night hockey, didn't get home till 1am, and I don't think I fell asleep till 4am. :( We won at least, no points for me again, but I did deliver a rather bone-crushing hit along the boards. I actually felt guilty, especially when the guy appeared like he was out for a moment and didn't get up. But he was fine and I had a nice two minute rest in the box. If I can't get a point, I will at least get on the gamesheet other ways!

LOL! That's always satisfying :p

You're on a roll with training thus far in 2004...keep up the good work!

ElPietro
01-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Justin I always take penalties when I'm tired. :p That penalty was a lazy one, the guy had a lot of speed, I didn't feel like making the turn to keep up with him, so I just abruptly took away all the space between me and the boards he was trying to get through. It was a legitimate hit, only these leagues aren't contact. It's a good league though, they let you get away with a lot, which is a part of the game, but many refs still call. I pinned a guy behind the net for like 30 seconds my first game back with no call which was cool.

Thanks Molly, I'm trying to stick with it. I have noticed a big increase in muscle, which makes things look better, but I've actually gained weight. Probably from starting creatine after a year of not using it. So while I use it I probably won't track my weight on a spreadsheet as I normally would. I actually have a spreadsheet printed out with a pen in my bathroom so I can record things when I hop on the scale. The only problem is the damn scale keeps going in the bloody wrong direction. *mutter*

Oh well, some pretty hardcore lifting chicks kept talking to me last night, saying I was making them look bad, which I believe was a compliment. :p I did the "mother of all push workouts" last night. I won't even try to post what I did till I get my journal from the car. We had the worst snowstorm since the time we decided to bring in the army. So I kept finding new exercises to do, from skimming back in my journal.

I have not made a house update since I can remember, so I'll mention that my couch and chair finally came in last night. It took forever, and then when it got to canada, customs delayed it another week and a bit, but then they cancelled all their deliveries last night, but noticed I was near their warehouse and decided to drop the stuff off. I'll have to take some pictures soon, even though nothing much has been done to the place yet.

JustinF
01-28-2004, 02:58 AM
No contact!. Pssshaw. ;)

Still awaiting that mother of all push sessions!!

ElPietro
01-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Bleh, I haven't been to the gym since then. This f*cking weather is screwing everything up. Those that had quite a ways to drive from the office got sent home early on tuesday, due to the extreme snowstorm. So that meant avoiding the gym to get home before the serious traffic started. Not that it mattered since it took two bloody hours anyway. But then some warning light went on in my car, and I didn't recognize it, and forgot to check when I got home. So in the morning took an alternate vehicle, and had all day meetings. On my way to the gym after the meeting I realize I never pulled my gym bag out of my car into the other one. :mad:

Tonight I have to go visit a friend who's father passed away. So that means lunchtime workout, and possibly missing volleyball as well. This weeks a mess.

I don't think there's ever been a time that I've wanted to intentionally cause car accidents, just to stop some people so I can get out and beat them. People just can't f*cking drive in winter. If it isn't the idiots that sit there with their hands in the 10-2 position, and their chins resting on the god damned steering wheel, going 40km/h when everyone else is going 60-80, or the dumbasses in SUVs thinking that their 4 wheel drive will somehow make them stop better on ice. I think that if you cause more than one accident due to snow conditions in a 3 year period, they should just suspend your license for the winter months. Then it gets re-instated once the snow has melted. Maybe that would get some of these soccer moms sitting in the ditch off the god damned road!

ElPietro
01-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok, here is monday's high volume push workout. It was high volume because I was stalling having to drive home with the army of retards who've never seen snow before apparently.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x3/265x3+1/225x8

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/45x8

Superset:

Lateral DB Raise:

35x8/35x8

Front DB Raise:

20x8/20x8

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

Upright Rows:

90x8/115x7.5

Triceps Pushdowns:

180x8/195x8/205x8/225x6/190x8

*225 is the stack, which I wasn't going to do, but I was working in with a couple girls, and they put it there and told me to do it.

Standing BB Millies:

135x5/135x4

Single Arm Triceps Pulldown:

45x8/60x8/60x8

Dips:

BWx6/BWx4/BWx5

Finished off with 15 minutes pretty intense on the ellyptical, and that was it.

ElPietro
01-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Here's the workout I just got back from now.

Ok, here is monday's high volume push workout. It was high volume because I was stalling having to drive home with the army of retards who've never seen snow before apparently.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

135x8/165x8/195x3/240x6/240x5/210x8/210x6/180x8

Single Arm DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

DB Preacher Curls:

40x8/40x8

HS High Rows:

260x6/220x6

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/45x8

DB Shrugs:

120x8/100x8

Finished with 10 minutes on the ellyptical.

As I was getting ready for the shower, I realize that this gym bag that was packed tuesday, was meant for an after work workout. So I neglected to put a fresh pair of underwear in. I have now officially entered the realm of commando. :cool:

Relentless
01-29-2004, 12:33 PM
As I was getting ready for the shower, I realize that this gym bag that was packed tuesday, was meant for an after work workout. So I neglected to put a fresh pair of underwear in. I have now officially entered the realm of commando. :cool:

TMI !!

Scott S
01-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Your upright rows pwn mine by far. :(

Glad you're surviving the idiot drivers this winter.

Bruteman
01-29-2004, 07:16 PM
TMI !!

:withstupi

The standing millies are looking :strong: :bow:

JustinF
01-30-2004, 02:56 AM
Nice session, Pete. You're well on your way bro.

Budiak
01-30-2004, 03:06 AM
Pfft. I havent worn underwear in two months.

ElPietro
02-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Cal stop picturing things in you head perv! :p

Scott and Brute, thanks, although, none of this is what I have done in the past, it's good to get on the right track.

Thanks justin, i'm trying anyway, i still need to focus on rehabbing the back. I hate going in there and not being able to load up the bar for a good pull. Besides, I think that the back is affecting other lifts.

Toni, Toni, Toni, that's very interesting young sir.

Anyway, this is my push session from last week. I missed the pull session, but to keep to schedule I did my regular monday push session, so two pushes with no pulls.

Incline DB Bench Press:

45x10/70x8/95x8/95x6/90x6

* I was fairly pleased with these results.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x6/45x6

135x7/135x5/135x4

Shoulder Machine Press:

165x6/165x5

Skull Crushers:

105x8/105x8

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/80x7

Triceps Pushdowns:

195x8/210x8/210x7

Dips:

BWx5/BWx5

Finished with 15 minutes at a decent pace on the ellyptical, followed by a short stretch session.

I became hammered several times this weekend, and that's all I shall say about that.

Tonights workout to come.

ElPietro
02-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Ok, here was tonights push session.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x6/265x5+1/225x6/205x8 ~Narrow Grip
Proper Narrow Grip: 135x8/135x8 (fast)

*The sixth rep of 265 I think was 99% mine, but the spotter touched the bar so bleh. I got on a bad bench, as the bar was almost at my face, so without a lift it was like half a rep in a weak over the face position. I kinda had a lift on the 265 though. I was somewhat satisfied.

Flat DB Flyes:

45x8/45x6

Skulls:

105x8/115x7

**Progress. :)

135x8/135x6/135x6

***More progress rep-wise. :)

Triceps Pushdowns:

195x8/210x8/225x5/210x8/195x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8/35x8

Dips:

My fatass x6/My fatass x6/My fatass x6

Back Hypers:

My fatass x8/My fatass x8/My fatass x8

Finished off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical, and that was pretty much it. Diet was good today, just finished a nice bloody steak. :cool:

I will eventually get down to that hourglass figure I oh so want to attain. I will try to add in more cardio, and another actual hockey session on friday nights occaisionally.

We'll see how she goes...

IceRgrrl
02-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Still on a roll with the workouts...excellent. Congrats on getting in several hammered reps over the weekend, and more hockey is always more better :p

JustinF
02-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Glad to see you back in a solid routine bro. Keep it going.

ElPietro
02-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks people, I just noticed that the bench poundage was screwed up, not sure how I'd be able to get 226 lbs on the bar. I have edited to 265. I bet I'll stall at all the same weights as I used to in the past too. :mad: We'll see. Maybe I'll get to using the bands I have someday soon and see if it'll help.

ElPietro
02-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Here is my lunchtime lowerback/love handle rehab session:

Back Hypers:

x8/x8

Cable Crunch on Lat Pulley:

90x8/105x8

Conventional Deadlifts:

135x5/135x5/135x5/135x5 (this set I did hang cleans for some reason or another)/185x5/185x5

*Felt aight I guess. Lower back was on the slow burn after, which is generally what happens when you deadlift, so I guess that was good. It's hard to keep form with light weight, but even harder not to push myself to go heavier as well. I guess I will just continue to slowly up the weight, or vary the speed, or incorporate some hang or power cleans to the rehab program.

My lower back has full range of motion going forward, I can almost touch my head to my knees when I'm standing, but it becomes somewhat aggravated if I hyperextend it. It would get sore for a while if I did hyperextension stretching on a swiss ball, so I've stopped that for now.

After that I did 20 minutes on the ellyptical, at a pretty good clip. Sweating occurred.

Tonight is my pull session. I doubt anything done here will impact performance after work.

ElPietro
02-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Tonights Pull session:

CG Lat Pulldowns:

135x10/180x8/240x6/240x5/210x8/210x7/180x8

*Felt pretty drained. Guess the afternoon thing took some out of me, after that session I didn't really get much in the way of carbs, other than a Mr. Noodle cup. Strength I guess was the same as previous, so whatever.

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**These were done really fast on the right side. I guess I'll have to go back to doing them with the ez-curl bar if I don't start training at Monster again for some time.

HS High Rows:

230x8/230x8

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl:

50x5/40x6/35x8

DB Rear Delt Raise:

25x8/30x6/30x6

***Haven't done these in a long time. They are done on a proper bench, with a pad to lean onto with your chest.

DB Sidebends:

85x8/85x8

DB Shrugs:

120x8/100x8/195x8

****Grip was exhausted at this point, so things sucked bad.

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8/40x8

That's it. I was going to do cardio, but decided not to as I'd done enough in the afternoon. We'll see how the lower back feels tomorrow, and I will try to stick to a daily stretching regime.

Diet has been good today. I just finished a nice pork chop with an artichoke the size of both my fists together. Protein should end around 230g, with 150g of carbs, and 95-100g of fat, all good sources.

JustinF
02-04-2004, 03:29 AM
Nice sessions Pete. Diet looks to be good as well.

WillKuenzel
02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Are you still thinking about competeting at some point?

ElPietro
02-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Not with a sub 200lb deadlift. ;)

I would like to, but I'll see what, if any, permanent damage I have sustained, and whether I can at least get back to where I was. At some point I really should start doing sumos, but I always end up taking my conventional stance when I walk up to the bar.

Right now I am just focused on getting rid of all the nice bodyfat I accumulated during my time off, and getting some strength back. Maybe once my deadlift is in the mid 400s I'll re-evaluate and see where to go from there.

ElPietro
02-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Here is leg day:

45 Degree Leg Press:

6 plates x15/10p x8/14p x8/16p x8/18p x8/20p x8/20p x6/16p x8/14p x8

*Well, there we go, I now have done two sets with the most I can fit on this stupid thing. Unless I lean weights on the top of it, or have people sit on it. I will have to go to the other leg press, and find out if it translates to roughly the same poundage. Angle seems similar anyway. I actually did the set with 18 plates kinda explosive on the first half of the reps, but some of the reps were akward, as the weight and inertia and all that crap made things "not good" near lockout. In the end, I felt a couple of very minor twinges. They are still there now, one way up on my right side, probably near the point of attachment of the hip flexor, and one in my left leg, towards the middle back of the thigh, possibly point of attachment for the hamstring. These had not direct effect on strength, so I'm not too worried about it.

Did some calf stuff with the leg press too, since i'm too lazy to load pretty much the same amount of weight onto the standing calf raise.

Lying Leg Curls:

60x8/90x8/100x8

**Set of 90 was done explosively, and kicked the living sh!t out of me.

Hanging Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

Leg extensions:

240x8/270x8/285x8

Did about 2 minutes of stretching and that was it. No cardio today. Tomorrow I will do my afternoon rehab, followed by after work push session.

Thank you, and good night. :)

JustinF
02-05-2004, 03:27 AM
Nice leg session Pete.

ElPietro
02-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks Justin, I am happy to report that the two pains in either leg are almost gone today. It had me a bit worried, at least the one near my abdomen did.

Today for lunch I had one big helping of lower back rehab. And it was garnished as follows:

Started with 2 minutes on the bike, then went down and did some mild stretching.

Then did:

Back Hypers: 3 sets of 8

Deadlifts: 135x5/135x6/135x5/185x8/185x5/185x5

Hang Cleans: 135x5/135x5

Cable Crunches: 90x8/120x8/120x8

Pull Throughs: 75x8/75x8/75x8

The hang cleans were done in between the 135 and 185 deadlifts. Also, the cable crunches were sorta interspersed as well.

I've never really tried pull throughs before, so I'll have to go look up the proper form for it. It seems simple enough but better to double check. Basically, I just made sure that there was no slack on the cable as the handle was at my ankle, and I'd crouch slightly, and pull the pulley handle out and up sorta in an arc with a straight arm, basically using my lower back for the whole thing. If you are a pull through veteran, please offer comments and lemme know if I just invented a new exercise or not.

My lower back was burning like a summamab!tch after this, and I decided to forgoe cardio as I'd already gone over the time I had planned. Considering I still have a push session after work, and volleyball at 9 tonight, I'm not too concerned.

Tomorrow will suck, and I will still have a pull workout, and hockey late at night. Then saturday I will have to help a girl move down the road, and sunday is my regular hockey night. *dies*

ElPietro
02-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Oh wait, everything is ok, I just opened my drawer and found a full bottle of ibuprofen! :D

Relentless
02-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, there we go, I now have done two sets with the most I can fit on this stupid thing. Unless I lean weights on the top of it, or have people sit on it.

Having people sit on the leg press sled while you grind out reps is totally hardcore man. You should do it.

Just make sure you can get the reps out. Having the sled crash down with someone riding it is definitely not cool.

ElPietro
02-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes, my primary goal on leg press, is always to keep my ass infront of my head! :p

ElPietro
02-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, I just finished a steak, and can rest for an hour before I'm off to volleyball.

Here is the recently completed push session.

Incline DB Bench:

50x10/70x10/100x8/100x5/90x8

*Well, this I believe is a personal best, which pleases me. :)

135x8/155x 5 or 6/135x6

**More progress. :)

SkullCrushers:

115x8/115x6

:)

Atlantis Shoulder Press:

180x6/195x3/150x8 (set of 150 done with neutral grip, fast)

Single Arm Triceps Pulldown:

60x6/65x6

Upright Row:

115x8/115x6

Dips:

BWx8/BWx6

Well, this was very encouraging. I pretty much felt and was stronger on all exercises. I am starting to get some joing aggravation in the usual places, but I'll eventually rest at some point.

Still fat, be we're working on it.

Volleyball at 9pm tonight, then pull session tomorrow after work, followed hopefully by hockey.

ElPietro
02-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Pull Throughs: 75x8/75x8/75x8

I've never really tried pull throughs before, so I'll have to go look up the proper form for it. It seems simple enough but better to double check. Basically, I just made sure that there was no slack on the cable as the handle was at my ankle, and I'd crouch slightly, and pull the pulley handle out and up sorta in an arc with a straight arm, basically using my lower back for the whole thing. If you are a pull through veteran, please offer comments and lemme know if I just invented a new exercise or not.

Hey Pete, whatsup bro, your form on the pullthroughs is all wrong.

Bleh, just went to elite to double check, lol, not even close to what I remembered reading. Oh well, I'll know next time.

Bruteman
02-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Here is my lunchtime lowerback/love handle rehab session:

LOL, love handle rehab?! Is that a politicaly correct way of saying your fat? :D j/k

Nice sessions this week :thumbup: . I'm impressed with your ability(this time around) to control yourself on getting your back better before going heavy.

JustinF
02-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Nice work lately Pete.

ericg
02-11-2004, 05:33 AM
Nice lifting. Standing military is a hard exercise (with good form), impressive.

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Lol, Brute, in a sense, yeah. :D And it is hard to not go heavy, but I think I have finally re-injured myself enough times to understand this concept now.

Justin, thanks.

Eric, yeah it's a fun exercise, but easy to cheat if you incorporate the legs. Although, I guess you could then call it a push press. I got better at it still in one of the workouts I'll get posted here. It's finally starting to improve, as I think that my back arch was the source of pain that would cause me to stop, or not go as heavy, now I feel my lower back is slowly strengthening up.

Anyway, here are some updates...

On friday I went to the gym, but was feeling really burned out. It should have been pull day, but I gave up early. I'll post it just for completeness though.

Seated Cable Rows:

130x8/150x8/195x8/225x8/240x6

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x6/195x6

DB Rows:

120x8/120x6

Concentration Curls:

40x8

That was it. I had no energy, I guess I just finally hit a wall, after having already trained 6 times in 4 days, and this being my 7th in 5. Calories were low as well. Thought I'd go do cardio, but after maybe 2 minutes on the ellyptical I realized my mind wasn't into it, and my body certainly wasn't, so I just left. I was supposed to play hockey that night as well, but it was cancelled in advance as both goalies that play were on holidays or something.

Saturday, I helped someone move, so my back was sore on sunday. Sunday I helped a friend a bit with some exercises, but didn't really workout. Then sunday evening I had a hockey game. Was a good workout but we lost. I had another body contact penalty, and somehow managed to remove all the skin from my left knee yet again. It had finally almost finished healing from when I hit a guy two weeks ago. Even the scab was almost gone. Oh well, it was a bloody mess once my shin pad came off. Bleh.

Further updates to come.

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Push workout from monday:

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x10/225x3/275x5+1/295x1+1+1/225x8/225x8

Close Grip: 135x8/135x8
Wide Grip: 135x8/135x8

*275 was flying up, just needed fingertip assist for the sixth rep. The 295 was fingertip assist on the second, maybe no assist, but the spotter touched the bar so I won't count it as a full rep, the third there was definitely fingertip assistance. Not a ton but still enough to get through. I may go for three plates next week and then take maybe a month of near max bb benching.

Cable Triceps Pushdowns:

195x8/210x8/225x6/210x8

**225 is the stack. I'll have to consult my notebook, as I may have done more, but I forgot it in the car.

Single Arm Reverse Grip Cable Triceps Pulldowns:

60x6/60x8

Standing BB Military Press

45x8/135x8/165x4/135x8

***Some progress here. My back was bothering me less from the arch than normal. Hopefully this is indicative of it starting to heal and strengthen more.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx4

Finished off with 20 minutes on the ellyptical, which sucked as I'd forgotten my water bottle. :(

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Lower back Rehab/Love handles banishment workout. Done yesterday on lunch break.

Back Hypers:

3 sets of 8 (no added weight)

Deadlifts:

135x5/135x5/135x5(done fast)/225x5/225x5/225x3

*These felt ok. My back was still stiff from helping someone move on the weekend. I ****ing hate washers, dryers, and pullout couches. Why can't they make pullout couches out of ****ing aluminum. They make that **** out of the heaviest god damned metal possible, and then I have to ****ing carry that down the god damned stairs with a recovering back! :angry:

Anyway, I'll continue to slowly add weight here. I'm in no rush, I don't want to further screw things up. I think I will want to get back to powerlifting, so maybe I'll start focusing on the other two lifts, and just slowly bring this back up.

Cable Crunches:

105x8/120x8/120x8

**These are done on the double pulley, not the same as the one people normally use for tri pushdowns, so much heavier.

Pull Throughs:

135x6/135x6

***Ok, after reviewing elitefts and correcting my retarded form from previous, these felt better. Although, my back was already on a slow burn from the rest of the crap I did.

Finished off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical.

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Last night's pull session:

WG Lat Pulldowns:

120x8/165x8/195x8/195x7

*These will still take some getting used to. Feels much "wierder" than the close grips I'm so used to.

HS High Rows:

250x8/250x7/230x8

**Must have twinged something on my lower left lat, by the bottom of my ribcage, as I started getting some pain there towards the end of the sets. Nothing major, just taking note in case anything develops from it.

DB Rear Delt Raise:

30x6/30x6/30x6

DB Preachers:

50x5/40x8/35x8

DB Shrugs:

120x8/120x8/120x8

Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8/40x8/40x8

***I may have done a fifth set, lost track as some girl asked me to spot her a couple times on skullcrushers.

Decided to do another cardio session as well, but only lasted 12 minutes on the ellyptical this time, before deciding I should pack it in and have my post workout shake.

I believe I'm leaning out. I am seeing some of the patterns. My body is on the legs part of the cut. Everyone has an order of operations, and I know that after a bit of loss on chest and stomach, my legs drop dramatically, and then love handles start to go, and a bit more on chest and stomach. We'll see how things shape up in the next few weeks.

Just one workout today, but it's leg day. *cringe*

I have friday off, so I may take it easy the rest of this week. Sleep has sucked ass as usual. Generally between 4-5 hours a night max.

briancurran01
02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Nice work EL P. :thumbup:

ericg
02-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Sorry to hear about the moving. I agree they should make some of that **** lighter. Strong lifting man.

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Now work EL P. :thumbup:

Dude, that's totally insane. Just because I'm AT work, it doesn't mean I SHOULD work!

Unless I translate your internet gibber to "Nice work El P." In which case I would say thank you. :)

eric, it's all good. I've helped two different girls move two saturdays in a row. Quite frankly, I'm f*cking tired of it. This move wasn't bad, but there was stuff like couches, clothes washer and dryer (those sucked). When it was all said and done, they forgot about a pullout couch at the old place that needed to be moved downstairs. Pullout couches suck, since the metal frame is made of some material probably discovered on a fallen asteroid, that makes it 1,000 times heavier than any f*cking normal couch. :soapbox:

ericg
02-11-2004, 07:41 AM
And not to mention that if you have to flip the couch over the fuken bead pullout section starts to come out on you.

It is all worth it though if the gals were cute and they cooked lunch.

Relentless
02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
require sexual favours in advance before you help any other women move

problem solved.

ericg
02-11-2004, 11:40 AM
require sexual favours in advance before you help any other women move

problem solved.

True, they would take one look at you and say 'thanks, we will find someone else'. Then you cannot bitch about your back being sore from moving. ;)

briancurran01
02-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Dude, that's totally insane. Just because I'm AT work, it doesn't mean I SHOULD work!

Unless I translate your internet gibber to "Nice work El P." In which case I would say thank you. :)

eric, it's all good. I've helped two different girls move two saturdays in a row. Quite frankly, I'm f*cking tired of it. This move wasn't bad, but there was stuff like couches, clothes washer and dryer (those sucked). When it was all said and done, they forgot about a pullout couch at the old place that needed to be moved downstairs. Pullout couches suck, since the metal frame is made of some material probably discovered on a fallen asteroid, that makes it 1,000 times heavier than any f*cking normal couch. :soapbox:

Sorry about that El P I meant NICE work

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Lol, I know, just like to give people a hard time.

I just noticed your body composition goals in your sig are very similar to my goals. Although, I think i'm close to, or at your first goal now, but would like to get to the second one you listed.

Do you track your calories? If so how many on average are you taking in daily, and at what macronutrient ratio?

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Doh! Yes, I just read further in your sig and saw the hyperlink to your fitday journal, no need to respond with further detail if you don't want to.

briancurran01
02-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Doh! Yes, I just read further in your sig and saw the hyperlink to your fitday journal, no need to respond with further detail if you don't want to.

I take in around 2500-2600 a day shooting for 300 grams of protein a day

i am trying for 50%p 30%f 20% carb

the diet is the hardest part for me especially the carbs because i am diabetic

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 07:52 PM
If you think diabetes is hard, you should see what it's like to be addicted to taco bell!

Anyway, here is my leg workout from this eve.

Leg Press:

6 plates x8/10p x8/14p x8/18p x8/21p x7/22p +10 x5/18p x6/14p x8

*Woohoo. The machine only holds 20 plates for a total of 900lbs, but I discovered that I could wedge a plate on either side behind the plate you put your feet on. So tried 21 plates, and it felt aight. Then just because I was f*cking around I thought, why not try for 1,000 lbs, so I wedged another plate in, and then found a spot where a 10 lb plate could fit too. I made 5 solid reps, maybe coulda gone further, but I'm sure it's best not to fail on leg press with quadruple your bodyweight on there. I'm sure many here can do this, but I got a kick out of it nevertheless. Never have pushed myself on leg press before, so I guess it's fun while I'm taking a break from squats.

Lying Hammy Curls:

60x8/100x8/100x8

**More progress, felt pretty strong here.

Hanging Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

Leg Extensions:

270x8/285x8/300x8/310x8

***Bleh, this is the entire stack now, with the two 5lb add-ons the atlantis machine had. So I guess this new piece of equipment is now banished as well. Or I'll have to start doing them one-legged again.

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical and that was it.

Probably going to take it relatively easy the rest of the week.

ElPietro
02-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Oh, and I just wanted to add, that a serious training chica at the gym asked me if I was going to compete. :cool:

Although, I blinked a couple times in a daze wondering if she meant an eating contest! :p

Still flattering I guess, maybe I have some muscle still. *struts*

briancurran01
02-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Holy crap El P. Nice work!!!! And i thought MY leg day was good. You just made mine look like nothing. :bow:

Coke
02-12-2004, 06:23 AM
You sure are one leg pressing mf, I mean dude, lol - :D

The only alternative now is to have people sit on top to add any extra weight and do high reps bro - :thumbup:

Relentless
02-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Leg Extensions:

270x8/285x8/300x8/310x8

***Bleh, this is the entire stack now, with the two 5lb add-ons the atlantis machine had. So I guess this new piece of equipment is now banished as well. Or I'll have to start doing them one-legged again.

A word of advice, man... don't...

just start doing more reps with this

I moved to 1-legged leg extensions and I was doing 275 1-legged on the machine at my gym (it tops out at 335) and I am positive that this is part of how I hurt up my knee -- this machine puts you in such a restrictive position and when you jack up the weight it totally jams your knees

ElPietro
02-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks bri and coc. :) It is getting boring not squatting, I think I may start adding these back in as my back is getting better, just need to figure out where to put squats if I'm also deadlift rehabbing twice a week. I'll come up with something.

Scott, I used to do these without problem, although, didn't do them for a super long time. I'm not a big leg extension fan, but just needed some volume. Maybe I'll just do em a bit higher reps or more sets, or sometimes not at all if I want.

It could have a lot to do with the position of your body while you are doing it one legged. I'd generally try to keep the same seating position, and bring one foot up onto the seat, knee to chest sorta thing. Or do you think maybe you weren't as stable in the seat with only one leg on the machine? I could see that if under heavy stress and you kinda torque your leg it could twist the hell out of your knee.

ElPietro
02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Ugh, here's thursday's workout. I didn't feel like going, so I skipped my lunchtime planned workout, but after having taco bell, and several "snacks" from the vending machine I was feeling guilty. Well that and I didn't feel like dealing with traffic.

Incline DB Press:

45x10/70x8/100x8/100x5

*Felt kinda weak here. Doesn't matter much since I can't go any higher at this gym.

Incline Machine Press:

190x8/200x8/200x8/200x8

**200 is the stack, and I never used to be able to do this much volume with it, so I guess I am getting stronger at pressing than before.

Well my triceps felt somewhat achy, probably just some wear and tear, so figured I'd do some lower back rehab stuff.

Did 2 sets of 135 on deadlifts, but then was feeling lazy. Did a quick set of back hypers and then decided to do hang cleans.

Hang Cleans:

135x5/135x5/155x3/165x3/165x3/165x3

***Not bad I guess. I don't generally do these, and wasn't really putting that much effort into it. Just don't want to push things too much too fast.

Felt like I should at least do one more exercise.

Upright Rows:

105x8/105x8

Finished off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical, then did a bit of stretching and that was it.

Bruteman
02-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Nice "guilt induced" workout. Real nice hang cleans for not really trying :thumbup: . What's up with your gym, 100 lb DB's and a 200 lb stack on a pressing machine?! You needs to buy this place and turn it into a real gym!

ElPietro
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Brute thanks, yeah the 100lb dbs kinda suck. There are a set of 120s, and MAYBE 110s, which I'll have to check. If there are 110s maybe I can progress still on incline bench, otherwise I'm sorta stuck. My other gym goes to 200.

The incline stack isn't exactly easy with 200lbs. I think only me and a couple other people can do it. Usually those machines are built for the masses, not the top 5 or 10 percentile that actually take pride in strength training. But whatever, it has it's place if I want a quick way to add volume.

Here is tonights push workout:

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x10/225x5/275x1/315x1+1 w/fingertip assist/325x1 w/Fingertip assist/245x8/225x8

Close Grip: 135x8
Wide Grip: 135x8

*Woo, PR PR! :evillaugh I had planned to try and give 315 a ride. I've done it once and failed on it 2 or 3 times. When warming up 275 flew up like it was nothing. When I unracked the 315, it actually felt light. It came down and went up with speed. I was actually shocked so much that I thought I'd go for another. That one was slow, and slowed down quite abit at my sticking point, so not sure if I woulda made that rep or not, but the spotter gave what he called "next to nothing" assistance. I was happy, and loaded up 245, and then after consideration, took the 10s off, put the 45s back on, and added 5s to make it 325. I felt like being greedy. I felt much heavier, but I think that my arch wasn't as tight as it could have been. I think I could have had it, but it slowed down, and the guy put his fingers under it, so it doesn't count. :(

I was planning on trying 3 plates and then going into a bit of a low weight/high rep phase, to give the joints and stuff a break, but now I'm tempted to give 325 or 335 a whirl next week. I've been stuck on bench for so long now, that it's nice to see progress again. I always considered it my weakpoint. I guess I never properly periodized or trained properly for strength though, as I was always limited by the CNS. Perhaps 2 or 3 weeks of pin presses are in store for me.

Flat DB Flyes:

40x8/40x8

Standing Barbell Military Press:

45x8/135x8/175x1+1 push press/135x8

**Lol, I guess the bench fooled me into thinking I was strong. 175 was a bad idea. My back wasn't warmed up to allow me to arch enough, and of course I'm sure the heavy bench didn't help things prior. Oh well, felt like pushing things a bit.

Triceps Pushdowns:

205x8/210x8/225x8/235x8/235x6

***Well, that's the max for the pulley thing. It goes to 225 and then the two weight things you can slide down are 5 pounds each for a total of 235. I can use the lat pulley, or there is one other that is the longer pulley system, but it was occupied.

60x8/75x6

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8

SUPERSET with:

Standing Overhead DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

And after all this, I managed to have a pretty intense ellyptical session, 20 minutes of fun filled excitement.

Diet's was good today. I have been having some kinda sugary treat before workouts the past few sessions. Generally a snickers bar, but today it was a pack of tropical skittles from the vending machine. I must say tropical skittles does not live up to the normally high standard of the rest of the skittles family. But whatever, I ordered some u-turn bars, which should give me some energy for workouts. I don't quite get it, they have u-turn, detour, and a couple others maybe, with all the same stats, but u-turn are $10-15 less, so they got the nod.

Saint Patrick
02-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Nice session, Gringo.

briancurran01
02-16-2004, 07:43 PM
nice work elp. that bench is CRAZY :bow:

JustinF
02-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Great job pressin Pete!

ElPietro
02-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey thanks guys, it's really satisfying to actually have progress on my bench for once.

I just thought I'd also give my endorsement of SNDcanada yet again, I ordered yesterday, probably around 3ish, and I just received my package about 20 minutes ago. Don't think I can say enough good things about this company. I've never seen a lower price anywhere on any single product either. I've gone into their stores and seen gym proshop owners buying thousands of dollars of stock off them at pretty much retail price, minus whatever small bulk discount they offer.

Now let's see how long my Nitrean takes! Although, I guess it's a big difference from the US, compared to Waterloo, Ontario which is an hour away. :p

Anthony
02-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Don't you hate it when the spotter interfers! Ah well, nice work either way!!

Relentless
02-17-2004, 08:32 AM
nice benching, f00

ElPietro
02-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Anthony, yeah man that is the worst, but this guy is alright, I don't think I would have made it, and when maxing, I'd rather them catch it when the bar is stopped, versus waiting for it to start heading in the wrong direction.

Scott, thanks mang.

Here's my lunchtime rehab:

Back Hypers:

3 sets of 8

Deadlifts:

135x5/135x5/225x5/225x5/275x3/275x3

*Bahahaha! :strong: Obviously, I'm too strong for my own good! :rolleyes: Anyway, things were no problemo here. Although, on 275, I "think" I felt my old bad habits coming back, where I lockout my legs too soon and put too much stress on the lower back. But difficult to tell.

Pull Throughs:

140x6 or 8 (I forget)

**Well, that's all here, a girl decided to remove the rope and change the level of the pulley while my towel, water bottle, and journal were sitting right there, but then I decided I would just do my cardio anyway.

Cardio consisted of 15 minutes on the ellyptical at a pretty good clip. For quite a period of time I was going as fast as I humanly could without falling off. Sweat occurred.

That is all for now, pull is tonight.

ElPietro
02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
This evenings pull session.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

160x8/190x8/210x8/225x8/240x5

One Arm Ez-Curl Rows:

60x8 w/DB/150x6/150x6/120x8 w/DB

*Bleh, generally takes a couple times to get used to where to hold it. One set I almost had to regrip for every rep, then realized that the bar should have been turned the other way. This is based on the assumption that an ez-curl bar is 20lbs. If I've forgotten and it's 25 then obviously add 5lbs.

HS High Rows:

250x8/250x6

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x6/405x5/405x5/315x6

**Bah, grip was shot by now. Have to factor in the afternoon deadlifting which probably caused things to fatigue quick. Used a bit o' chalk though.

DB Concentration Curls:

40x8/40x8

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/40x8/40x8/40x8

That was it for the weights. Did a quick 10 minutes on the ellyptical and that was it.

I am now officially feeling burned out.

Legs tomorrow. :)

Saint Patrick
02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Good to see you back in the swing of things, man. Nice rowing.

Scott S
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Is Callahan's real name Scott? I'm all confused now.

ElPietro
02-18-2004, 06:58 AM
yes

JustinF
02-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Nice work Pete. What's a pull through?

ElPietro
02-18-2004, 07:41 AM
A pull through apparently, is when you use a rope handle on a low lat pulley; basically you stand far enough away from the pulley that when you are crouched over, gripping the rope, reaching as far back as you can between your legs there is full tension, and then sorta pull up towards your wang. Or something.

There is probably a more eloquent description on elitefts but whatever. I may still not be doing them 100% correct, but I still feel it somewhat.

briancurran01
02-18-2004, 07:52 AM
nice work El P

rookiebldr
02-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Nice to see the deads moving up there.

Time for a session.

ElPietro
02-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I said call anytime now. I am sufficiently "non-weak" now, well other than the deads.

On a side note, I was a bad boy today, I had a cigarette. :( I however, don't feel threatened by falling into bad habits, I am just coming to feel that adhering rigidly to something isn't absolutely necessary. But I shall have to be careful.

ElPietro
02-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Oh, just to add, I haven't suspended my membership at Monster yet, so if you want to go sometime soon, then I'll just procrastinate further so we can go there. Or to your frou frou, non-chalk allowing establishment.

ElPietro
02-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Today's leg day. I decided I'm too lazy to load the leg press anymore, and I'll probably drop to one day a week of lower back work, so figured I'd start up with the squats again. I think it's been at least 2 months since I last squatted, so figured I'd tinker around a bit the first time out.

BB Squats:

135x3/135x6/135x6/225x3/225x5/275x3/315x2

then

Speed sets: 3 sets of 6 @ 135 lbs.

*Took my usual 10 minutes or so to warm up. Almost all reps were done with a lot of speed. Other than probably the two heavy sets, but even they were done with a really quick lockout, just regular speed out of the hole. Depth was more than good, and had someone check from the side to ensure knee position was good as well. So all in all, form was excellent.

Lying Hammy Curls:[B]

70x8/100x8/110x6/90x8

**Progress here. Think I will add more volume for hamstrings from now on.

[B]Leg Extensions:

285x8/300x8/310x8

Seated Leg Curl:

150x8/150x8

Hanging Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

Cable Crunch (heavy pulley):

105x8/120x8

That was it, was gonna do more ab stuff but got lazy. Went on and did 15 minutes on the elyptical though. Haven't had much leg DOMS the past month, let's see how much squats change that.

Coke
02-18-2004, 08:19 PM
...great tinkering on the squats, especially since you have put them off so long - Great effort on legs!

JustinF
02-19-2004, 04:26 PM
w0rd. Nice work all around Pete. Glad you weren't doing this for our contest. ;)

Bruteman
02-20-2004, 11:38 PM
I think it's been at least 2 months since I last squatted, so figured I'd tinker around a bit the first time out.

BB Squats:

135x3/135x6/135x6/225x3/225x5/275x3/315x2

then

Speed sets: 3 sets of 6 @ 135 lbs.

Wish I could call those weights tinkering :(

Wondered what ever happened to the "shoulder blaster 2000" or whatever it was called? That was you that made that wasn't it?

ElPietro
02-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Lol, Brute, the ShoulderBlaster 6000 had to be left behind in the move. Since it was just a 6' plastic pipe, I figured I could easily replace it if need be. It was only a few bucks. But I was squatting twice a week back then anyway, so I was stretching regularly just from working out so barely used it.

Anyway, here was todays workout. Decided not to go for a flat bench PR, so did lockouts instead.

Incline Machine Bench:

140x15/170x8

Flat BB Rack Lockouts: (~ 5-6" ROM)

135x5/225x5/315x3/335x miss/miss/miss/315x2/325x0.5/x0.5/315x2

*Bah, I was baffled here. I thought the ROM could be maybe an inch less but whatever, was limited by the rack. It's quite odd that I could do doubles or triples of 315, but 10 or 20 lbs more and I couldn't nail it. I tried a few times with 335, and each time I'd struggle and just get a nice hot flashing pain through my shoulders and chest a bit. I think I remember doing these with 4 plates, so either my memory is off, the ROM is more, or I just need to adapt to the exercise more. Got 325 off the pins, but couldn't lock out, so that baffled me more, especially when I could still do 315 afterwards again.

Oh well, I'll do these again next week and see how things go.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx8/BWx8

**Done pretty fast.

Seated Machine Shoulder Press:

150x8/180x8/195x5

***Each arm is independent.

Triceps Pushdowns:

195x8/210x8/225x8

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

****Felt much easier than usual.

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/40x8

Finished off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical. Diet has also been alright. Protein probably isn't high enough, nor are calories, but better than being over.

briancurran01
02-23-2004, 06:35 PM
nice work El P. :thumbup:

Hatred
02-24-2004, 12:11 AM
:hello: ....999 :spam:

nice squatting LP

ElPietro
02-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, things are slowly coming up anyway, was fun to squat again too.

Here's today's deadlift session.

Conventional Deads:

135x6
135x6
135x6
225x3
225x3
275x2
275x2
315x1
315x1
315x1

*Oh my god I'm so strong. :rolleyes: Anyway, I would like to bring in my cam sometime and get some vids of my form before I go too much further. I think I am still involving too much lower back, but didn't get much grief at all from it, so that was positive. Took my time between sets, and the final set was pretty much a speed rep. It felt like nothing. I was happy since I realized my back wasn't really bugging me much today, so maybe the soreness experienced for the past few days were due to the squats and the extra driving I had to do on the weekend.

Finished with only 10 minutes on the ellyptical, coulda kept going but was starting to feel slight guilt at the amount of time I was taking for lunch considering I was an hour late today.

ElPietro
02-24-2004, 06:43 PM
After work Pull session.

WG Lat Pulldown:

160x8/195x8/210x6

Pullups (supinated grip):

BWx6/BWx5

HS High Rows:

280x6/270x6

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/455x3/315x8

DB Concentration Curls:

45x8/45x6

DB Hammer Curls:

40x8/45x8/45x8/45x8

Finished with 20 minutes on the ellyptical, at a good pace.

rookiebldr
02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Deads are moving up there. Yeah!

heathj
02-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Bah, you are the weakling!

JustinF
02-25-2004, 03:58 AM
Nice work Pete. Hella heavy shrugs