PDA

View Full Version : ElPietro's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

ElPietro
02-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Jeff, soon I'll be catching up to you! lol!

Thanks Justin, need to start doing these more, probably will aid the deadlift a bit.

Heath, good thing you bolded for emphasis. Sometimes it's hard for guys like me to hear you little pipsqueaks. :evillaugh

Well, tonight was leg night, so I did legs.

BB Squats:

135x5
135x5
225x3
225x3
275x3
275x3
315x2
315x2
335x2
335x2

*Well this wasn't bad. Had a guy come and check my depth on the very last set of 335, and it was below parallel as I had thought, but needed to confirm. So if I did that on my final heaviest set it's safe to assume the rest were at least of equal depth.

Speed Squats:

225x3/135x6/135x6

**Wasn't too fast with 225, I thought I heard my pants rip, so that threw off all concentration, but after the set, I made sure nobody was watching and confirmed that everything was intact. 135 was basically like air, didn't feel the weight at all on my back, and couldn't have done it any faster without falling over.

Lol, so squats and the long ass warmup I take, all in all probably lasted an hour. Some dumbass working at the gym decided that the mirror right infront of the power rack was a good place to tape up all the stretch and exercise diagrams. I told the one trainer I respect there that I was going to rip them down, and he didn't have an issue with it. So I proceeded to rip them down and throw them in the corner. It's amazing that there's probably only one place in the whole gym where you'd think not to cover the mirror up, and the fools decided that's where the posters go. ElPietro was not having it.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

80x8/110x7/100x8

Leg Extensions:

300x8/300x8/300x8

That was pretty much it. Was gonna do some leg raises, but felt that my hips probably had enough work from the squats anyway. Then thought I'd do maybe some ab stuff, but I was just lazy. So that's it for today. :)

briancurran01
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
nice leg day man. so you almost pulled a justin huh?? hehehehe

heathj
02-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I think you just can't hear me because you're so old that your hearing is going.

Foo!

WillKuenzel
02-25-2004, 07:10 PM
LOL, whoa there big fella, let's not go ripping our pants. I don't suppose those were your shiny silver ones were they. :p

Saint Patrick
02-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Nice squatting Pete.

Is it true that Toronto is full of hot chicks?

rookiebldr
02-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Squatters ass already or is that from the twinkies. ;)

IceRgrrl
02-26-2004, 06:48 AM
Some dumbass working at the gym decided that the mirror right infront of the power rack was a good place to tape up all the stretch and exercise diagrams. I told the one trainer I respect there that I was going to rip them down, and he didn't have an issue with it. So I proceeded to rip them down and throw them in the corner. It's amazing that there's probably only one place in the whole gym where you'd think not to cover the mirror up, and the fools decided that's where the posters go.

LMAO! Well done...those posters definitely had to go and somebody had to do it. Those posters are annoying anyways...they belong at Curves or some fluffy place like that where people go to "tone." :p Having them anywhere near the power racks where people go to seriously lift some weight is sacriligous!

ElPietro
02-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Thanks peoples. :) And yes, posters are gay, especially infront of the racks, and it defeats the purpose of having mirrors if you only tape sh!t up on them.

No my pants were in no danger of ripping, I think it was just some odd sound they created for some reason, going from slack to tight when I started to go down, I was ready to unload the weight and leave though if that was the case. :p Good thing it wasn't a heavy set, coulda really thrown me off!

Lol, Will, no, I don't wear those pants anywhere. Although, I still think we have to have a "Battle of the ShinyPants," so I'll try em on sometime soon and take a pic, so we can get a side by side of your shiny pants vs mine. :D

Patty, Toronto is filled with a lot of things, but yeah, there are tons of hot women, I just can't seem to get one for myself. Too bad it wasn't the caveman days when I could just drag one back to my cave by her hair. Oh well, so much for..."evolution."

And no, I don't have squatters ass right now, as you may have noticed it's only my second time back. I actually am trying to get some more work on the glutes, not sure what exactly would be good for that though. Obviously deep squats, but maybe I'll give lunges a try. Will you are the ghetto booty king, what do you suggest?

Think I'm gonna take the rest of the week off, other than some cardio sessions.

Jeff and Cal, let me know if you are interested in a drinking night this friday. Some people I know are going to Vinnie's downtown, so even if the people suck, there are pool tables and games there.

Anthony
02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Nice work on the squats!

ElPietro
02-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks dude, starting over from scratch is almost fun.

Went in to do my cardio as planned, but felt pulled to the weight section. Decided to do some speed benching, just to confuse the lunchtime crowd.

Speed Bench:

Warmup:

135x10
135x10
185x8

Speed:

185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3

Felt pretty good, used three different grips all inside the rings. Speed was quite fast, lotsa pop at the top.

Sorta gazed around wondering what I should do for a bit, then just did some triceps stuff.

Triceps Cable Pressdowns:

195x8
210x8
225x8

Finished off with 20 minutes on the ellyptical, so that I at least did SOME cardio on cardio day.

Heh, it actually looks like I did some work when put each set on it's own line. :p

Well, I feel like I'm leaning out slowly, from the side view I'm pretty thin now, but from the front I'm still wide. This is due to my "handles of love" which seem to refuse to go away. I'll probably start eating less in the evening, not the best thing to do, but this is what worked last time. I don't think I've lost a single pound in the past month, which is somewhat disturbing since I've been eating less. Oh well, no rush.

Volleyball tonight.

Relentless
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Jeff and Cal, let me know if you are interested in a drinking night this friday. Some people I know are going to Vinnie's downtown, so even if the people suck, there are pool tables and games there.

Sounds like fun but I can't do it... got to go to London after work.

If ya want to hang, we're playing football on Saturday again though. ;)

JustinF
02-27-2004, 03:24 AM
Nice work Pete. Definately BB lunges if you wanna target the glutes. :nod:

Why wasn't I invited for drinks. I've been known to drive 8 hours for a couple brews. ;)

ElPietro
02-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Justin, the Boston trip is now pretty much 100% for me, so hopefully you can make it for that. I'll be arriving April 9th, and heading back on the monday. I will probably not be sober for a waking minute there either, so it should be a fun, albeit messy time.

We now have a bus chartered, so there will be 35-40 canadians who've been drinking for 10-12 hours straight stumbling off that mofo. :p

We will also be a big group of drunken hooligans at the Red Sox home opener against the Jays. :D If you are gonna come, and interested in coming to the game, or sharing a hotel room let me know and I can make arrangements. It's all pretty cheap.

ElPietro
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
BB Bench Rack Lockouts:

135x8/225x?/315x3/365x2/395x2

Hmmm...finally searched this out in my journal. I knew I'd done rack lockouts before, but it seems like it was much more weight than I could do this time. So I'm guessing it's from a different pin, or maybe some racks are different than others at my gym. This is from Dec. 30th, 2002. So well over a year ago. Just wanted to put this up as a reference for myself.

Shane
02-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Drunken hooligans?! I'm there! Wait...other side of the country. Damn you east coasters!

Nice benching LP. Speed benching = tons of fun.

Bruteman
02-27-2004, 09:24 PM
LMAO, shiney pants contest.

Nice return to squatin' dude!

ElPietro
03-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Monday's suck.

Here's the push session.

Warmup Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x6

Rack Lockouts:

225x3/315x3/345x2/365x.2/365x0/315x3/315x3/315x3

*Bleh, not great but whatever. I think the ROM might be a bit too much, when I extend my arms, the barbell is at my elbows. Got 365 to start going but then it wouldn't go much further than an inch or two. Tried again right away and the mofo wouldn't budge. 315 felt fine though. Could just be neural limitations, or simply weak, who knows.

DB Flyes:

45x8/45x8

Standing BB Millies:

45x8/135x8/155x5/135x7

**Felt kinda odd without a mirror infront of me. One of the racks is sorta in the middle of nowhere. Shoulders felt kinda pooped anyway.

Triceps Cable Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8

DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8

Finished off by jumping on the ellyptical for 20 minutes. Was pretty fookin tired by the end of all this.

Weekend was alright. Went drinking with rookie for a bit, learned that he's a mucho pool shark. Saturday I don't think I even got dressed. Sunday was a bit of poker with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. Took the hoes for $120, so it was a good re-union. :)

Probably do a double workout tomorrow. Dat's all folks.

briancurran01
03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
nice work el p

heathj
03-01-2004, 08:46 PM
or simply weak

You answered it yourself :p

Nice work on the 345 x 2 though. Too bad on the 365, you'll get it!

JustinF
03-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Nice work Pete. I'll let ya know about April asap.

ElPietro
03-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks Bri. Heath, I'll probably move the pins up a notch next time, I think the ROM is too great, but we'll see. Justin, I'll expect you there!

Well today was rehab day, and it turned out purty gud.

Back Extensions:

3 sets of 8

Deadlifts:

135x5
135x5
225x5
225x5
275x3
275x3
315x3 Lol, speed set. Was planning on keeping it here, but it was too easy.
365x2
365x1

*Well, I was pleased with this. That's a 50lb PR for the year 2004. :p Gonna for sure remember my digicam next time and get a guy to take vids of my reps at 225, 315 and 365 and compare the form and make sure leg lockout isn't too quick. 365 was also a breeze, but I remember this is how things were before I really messed up my back on a 405 attempt. I'm hoping that if I keep going slow I'll blast through my old strength eventually. Usually breaks do me good, hopefully this injury will be a memory by the summer time.

Finished off with 20 minutes on the ellyptical. Did a whopping 30 seconds of stretching and that was it.

If form is good next week, and there's no aggravation this week I may give 4 plates a ride.

Gonna do a quick back session tonight.

Anthony
03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Awesome lockouts. Be sure to tape your next deadlift session, I'm very curious as to how you maneuver from your walker to the deadlift platform.

ElPietro
03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Lol, I just lean against the rack and drop my cane right before the pull!

Oh, just as an aside to my deadlifts, the double at 365 was from a full reset. Did one rep, stood up, and then went down for the second. The next set was probably only 20 seconds later as I realized I'd need to get the bar up unto the rack if I didn't want to wrestle the plates off.

All the other sets were stopped just short of the ground so I didn't receive any "bounce" aid.

rookiebldr
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Nice work on the deads. Glad to see this is coming back without the pain.

As for the pool, I don't think I was any worse than Jamie, so that's good. I had a good. We need to do it again.

Scott S
03-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Nice deads. Hope 405 goes much better for you next time.

ElPietro
03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Bleh, looks like deads have reached the point where they kinda tire me out. Skipped last nights back workout. I guess I'll make it up on thursday. Did a bit of catch up with a miscellaneous workout today.

Back Hypers:

2 sets of 8

*Just a bit of active recovery.

BB Shrugs:

135x8/225x8/315x8/405x6/455x4/455x3/405x5/315x8/225x20

**Bah! The first set of 455 strained my neck kinda bad. It now hurts to look in almost any direction. Better not impact squats tonight, but whatever. Why can't there be a workout where something doesn't start hurting.

DB Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

***Just cuz.

Finished with 20 minutes on the ellyptical. Was sweating like a pig.

WillKuenzel
03-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Why can't there be a workout where something doesn't start hurting.
Its called old age and just being freaking weak. I figured you would have been used to it by now. :p

Do shrugs not bother your lower back or is it just when pulling that does it?

Coke
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
I bet you will have those 405 deads by this summer - no problem...I am getting adjusted to them, I can see how they can cause an injury. Shruggin some good weight also bro.

ElPietro
03-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Will, don't hate me because I'm pretty. And no, it doesn't bother my back all that much, partly because I try to stretch it out first, and mostly because I get into a bit of a crouch first and use my legs to get it off the pins. I crouch again to put it down and generally try to keep a bit of a bend in the legs during the sets. But in the past it has worn my back down a bit, but not so much anymore now that I am more conscious of things that could effect it.

Cocoa, lol, 405 by the summer? It will probably be the next few weeks. If I only get it by the summertime that would mean I'd have re-injured myself yet again. I'm only taking it slow to prevent re-injury, but I'm hoping for 500 by sometime in the summer. If things progress as planned, and I can break my previous barrier, I am hoping for 600 by the end of the year. My original plan was to be at 600 right now, obviously that plan failed to bear fruit.

rookiebldr
03-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Finished with 20 minutes on the ellyptical. Was sweating like a pig.

Me too.

JustinF
03-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Nice work Pete. Don't be too aggressive with those deads.

ElPietro
03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah I am trying to pace myself. I may just rep stuff out next week.

Anyway, I was feeling drained by the time 5pm came around, and had to really give myself a kick in the pants to go to the gym. Calories had been low all day long. Being leg day, that didn't help enthuse me. Turns out it was a good decision to go. :)

BB Squats:

135x5
135x6
225x6
275x3
315x3
365x2 Felt somewhat nervous here without a spotter, but smoked them. With pop at the top.
405x1 Woo. :cool: Asked someone to stand behind me just in case, but it was all me, and I believe pretty deep. Without a cam it's usually hard to say on the heavy ones.
315x3
315x2 Bah, reps were slow and I was swearing at myself in the middle of them so decided to stop there.

Speed Squats:

225x4
225x4
225x4
135x6

*135 felt like air, and I was almost going too fast, decided it was pretty much pointless to continue with that weight. So I didn't.

Lying Hammy Curls:

80x8/100x8/100x8

**Legs were pretty fatigued from squats, and probably the 20 minutes on the ellyptical on my lunch break didn't help.

Leg Extensions:

285x8/300x8/310x8

Hanging Leg Raise:

3 sets of 8

For some reason I decided to go into the cardio room yet again. Did 15 pathetically low intensity minutes on the ellyptical. Drained would be an excellent adjective to describe me at that point. Did a few minutes of stretching and that was it.

Of course, the steak when I got home made it all worth it. :)

rookiebldr
03-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Nice work Pete. Don't be too aggressive with those deads.

Pete, aggressive? I thought you had met him. ;)

405x1 Woo. :cool: Asked someone to stand behind me just in case, but it was all me, and I believe pretty deep. Without a cam it's usually hard to say on the heavy ones.

Totally :cool: Very well done Pete. Nice to see you using those bigger numbers again.

JustinF
03-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Pete, aggressive? I thought you had met him. ;)

The only thing Pete was aggressive with when I met him was Taco Bell. ;)

ElPietro
03-05-2004, 07:47 AM
With Taco Bell, one must achieve balance from within. For example, the soft taco requires a firm hand, otherwise it may come apart, but also, if gripped too hard, it will also force the contents out either side. Whereas one must be as gentle as a butterfly with the hard taco, for it's shell, although hard, is also quite brittle and prone to breakage. I prefer to cup the taco from beneath, and have it rest naturally against the side of my hand. :)

Well, went to the gym last night and it ****ing sucked. Explanation below.

Speed Bench:

Warmup:
135x8
135x8
185x3

Speed:
185x3 WG
185x3 WG
185x3 WG
185x3 MG
185x3 MG

*Well, don't know if it's just wear and tear, or probably not enough warmup or what, but my elbows started to do their thing again. I guess it's the triceps tendon, and it basically just buzzes and goes kinda numb. This used to happen alot in the past so I may just need to peel back some benching for a bit.

Triceps Cable Pushdowns:

195x8/210x8/210x8

**Dunno why I did these when I was already having problems. Didn't intensify the pain but whatever. Decided to stop right there.

Figured I'd take a few days off so I did a bit of pulldowns so that my back got some work this week.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/195x8/225x7/210x7

For some reason I didn't want to stop so I went and tried dips.

Dips:

BW x6

*Sucked and the pain was still there so stopped these as well.

Sorta milled about a bit, quite angry with myself, and then just went upstairs and did 20 minutes on the ellyptical and called it a day.

Anyway, I brought my gym stuff with me today, but not sure exactly what I'll be doing if I go, but I probably will force myself to go and see what happens.

Coke
03-05-2004, 07:54 AM
...lol, you went from achieving balance within at Taco Bell to it ****ing sucked at the gym, such diversity - :D

My elbows have been bothering me too, especially the left one - the session was decent bro.

Relentless
03-05-2004, 08:21 AM
buzzing + numbness sounds like a nerve impingement to me, not a tendon...

you should seek some kind of expert help, no?

ElPietro
03-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Bah, this happens all the time, and it will go away with a bit of rest. I don't know any nerve experts.

ElPietro
03-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Made it to the gym as planned without a plan. Decided I'd kill a bit of time with some leg press.

45 Degree Leg Press:

6 plates x10
10x8
14x6
18x8
20x6
20x4
16x8
12x8 Done really fast.

*Bleh, felt a bit weak, but since I did squats two days ago, and am probably just burned out and having done these in a while I kinda expected it. Wasn't really gonna push it anyway.

Standing BB Military Press:

45x10/45x15/135x8/155x5/135x7

**Elbow started to really bother me again. Perhaps it is the nerve, because the strength seemed fine here. It doesn't actually bother me during any rep, just once I finish the set it really flares up. It's equal in both elbows though, so that's why I think it's just a result of wear and tear.

So I most everything else only accentuated the elbow pain, so I just decided to finish off with some cardio.

Did 15 pretty low intensity minutes on the ellyptical. I guess that's the best I could do after having done leg press.

On a postive note, Harnek called me as I was driving home, and I spoke with him for about 30 minutes. I guess he's gotta compete soon even though he's got a shoulder injury, and then is being strong-armed into competing at the worlds. So he was basically asking me if I'd be his training partner again, to keep him motivated to go to the gym regularly. So perhaps I'll be going back to Monster now after work. Will be good to have him there and re-inforce my form. He also said for me to meet up with Sean Brown maybe in a month and discuss different training methods. Sean is an 1100+ kg lifter in ontario, so obviously a strong dude. For those of you too lazy to convert, that's a 2420 total, and he's about 275 lbs. I got some snaps of him from the comp I helped with.

Anyway, the pizza is here, so I must depart. :)

Saint Patrick
03-05-2004, 06:35 PM
w00t for the 20 plates.

Is that a pain in the ass to load/unload or what?

ElPietro
03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Oops, came back as I thought I must be smoking something to think Sean had an 1100 total. I was just trying to figure how he could conceivably have that and he doesn't. He's an 835 total which works out to 1837 lbs. I guess that's not too shabby either.

Patty, yeah it is, that's why I sorta go up and down in weight a few plates at a time. Otherwise it would eventually just kill me from having to search around the gym for plates. I've done 22 plates + a 10 before though for 5 or 6 reps, so this wasn't some PR or anything. Just given the legs some love. :)

Bruteman
03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
D@mn! Either I forgot how strong you were, or didn't realize. Either way you are moving some big weights man!

rookiebldr
03-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah, he's a strong dude.

Working out regular with Harnek will be great. Releases that inner powerlifter in ya. :cool:

rookiebldr
03-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Damn, I forgot the chalk! :(

WillKuenzel
03-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Damn, I'll have to work harder to stay stronger than you if you start working out with some serious powerlifters. :p

Relentless
03-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow. must feel good that a powerlifter as accomplished as Harnek is requesting you as a partner.

Lucky git.

ElPietro
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks people, other than William. Jeff, damn, I guess we forgot. Oh well, remind me when you are back and I'll come visit and bring it then.

Well, tonight I made it to Monster, although, I think the name has changed to Fitness 365 or something lame like that. I went in and let the front desk guy know that I hadn't been there in 4 or 5 months, after injuring my back, and had forgotten to put my membership on hold. He was cool and I think he backed up my membership so I didn't lose that time. Or at least I think he did when he nodded and swiped my card proceeding to type some stuff on his terminal. :p So that's cool.

As usual, Harnek was late, but this time he was super late, and didn't arrive until I was heading out. We chatted for about 10 minutes, and he's trying to strong arm me into competing in July, regardless of whether my back if 100% or not. Anyway, we'll see where I'm at come June.

Just decided to do a light push session.

Flat BB Bench:

135x10/135x10/225x8/245x5/245x5/245x5/225x8

*I was pleased, as my elbow didn't flare up with any pain.

Standing BB Militaries:

45x10/135x8/135x8/135x5

**Again, no pain. :)

DB Lateral Raise:

35x8/35x8/35x8

OH DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8/85x8

***Felt light as anything, and yet again, no elbow pain! :)

Single Arm Triceps Pulldowns:

70x8/80x6/80x5

****Sucess! A push session with no elbow craziness. I dunno if I'll do any speed work for a bit though, it coulda been the pop at the top that stressed the tendon or nerve or whatever.

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x8/25x8 :rolleyes:

Finished off on a odd feeling ellyptical that was nothing like the one at my regular gym. Did that for 20 minutes and that's all she wrote.

My training may be somewhat nonsensical this week as I struggle to figure out what to train on with Harnek. He's not in a regular split either as he's competing in a week and a half, and has been away from the gym for some time now. I think I'm squatting wednesday though.

briancurran01
03-08-2004, 06:46 PM
nice work el p

JustinF
03-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Nice work Pete. Good to hear the elbow didn't act up, hopefully it stays that way!

Anthony
03-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Good work, old man. I suggest you keep things light from here on out. Forever. Don't want to tempt fate with those brittle bones! :P

Coke
03-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Good pushin, nice weights...lol, these weights are not light El P.

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Hmmm...thought I heard something but I don't see anyone here.

*looks down*

Oh, hey Anthony, didn't notice you there for a second. :p

Justin, yeah, well it actually felt like it *wanted* to hurt, but it didn't get bad. If I tighten the tri I can feel something at the elbow, but nothing to write home about.

Cocoa light is defined as anything I can do for more than 3 reps. ;)

Anyway, made it for a quickie this afternoon.

Active Recovery:

Incline Machine Press:

120x20/120x20

*That's is all. :)

AB stuff:

Cable Crunches: 105x8/120x8
Situps: 3 sets of 15
DB Side Bends: 70x8/70x8

**Didn't push with the sidebends. I know something was hurting around my left oblique, but I think it may actually be my lat, but whatever, this was just a mishmash workout, but a good excuse to get my sweat on.

Finished with 20 minutes on the ellyptical. Man it felt akward the first few minutes after adjusting to the one from Monster last night. Stupid ellypticals. *shakes fist*

Will do a pull session tonight with Deads, didn't bring my camera, but I don't think I'm gonna push on to 4 plates until next week, so maybe I'll just rep out 365 or go up to 385. We'll see how things feel. I am tempted to rush things in order to get back to where I was and hopefully further if I'll be competing this summer, but so far my track record of stupidity whilst rehabbing injuries speaks for itself, so perhaps slow and steady shall be the motto for awhile.

WillKuenzel
03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Take it nice and slow there, little boy. That way when you finally get around to lifting heavy again, you'll be playing catch up. :p

Relentless
03-09-2004, 01:54 PM
yeah, you already know you can lift a lot more so you don't have anything to prove by rushing things now

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, I was feeling somewhat drained by the time 5pm came around, but made myself go.

Back Extensions:

2 sets of 8

Conventional Deads:

135x5
135x5
225x5
225x5
275x3
315x3 Good speed.
315x3 Speed set.
365x2 No prob.
385x2 No prob.
385x2 No prob.
315x5 Speed set.

*Well, early on my back went on fire, which was an annoying but good thing. This is how a lower back should feel whilst deadlifting. There were no issues at all, and I felt fine. So I don't think going a tad heavier is any problem, so it's up to me whether I just wanna rep some stuff out or not. It really hurts to sit there with only that weight on there, knowing I could be doing more, but I guess laziness won out in the end and I didn't feel like adding anything else to the bar. Sets of 365 and 385 were done with resets.

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**Very fast on the right side. All the pulldown stations were taken so did these instead.

CG Pulldowns:

+Worked in with female, see below for details.

220x8/235x6/220x6

WG Pulldowns:

180x6/190x8

***First set was a bit sloppy as the widegrip bar sucked. I changed it for the second set but was already pooped. Also, working in with someone made me rush.

HS High Rows:

230x8/230x6

****Female worked in again, so I had to pull off and on 4 plates each of the sets.

++5 minute pause to deal with female.

Back to the workout.

Concentration Curls:

40x8/40x8

Hammer Curls:

45x8/45x8/45x6

I was way too drained to even think of doing any cardio at this point. Already did 20 minutes on lunch anyway, and squats will be tomorrow.

Ok, so after rows I look at the lat pulleys and both are taken. So this girl that I see there regularly, looks at me as I ask her how many sets she has, and blah, blah anyway she says she'd share. So from that point on it was a constant string of banter and flirtation back and forth. Before my first set was done she said she'd recucitate (sp?) me if I needed it. I've never spoken to this girl before, she's I'm guessing a bit or slightly more than a bit older, but a total babe. Flirting continued and I learned quite a bit about her as we "lat pulled." When we were done she asked what exercise was next. It just kept going, even down to the level of boob comments and whatnot. Hers not mine dickheads. :mad: Anyway, she then keeps bugging me to go to this boxing class with her on saturday, but whatever, then she wants to train with me this week, and actually gets jokingly upset that I'm training at another gym with someone else tomorrow. In the end she gives me her number and asks for mine. I must repeat now that she's a babe, and from talking to her, a decently successful one to boot. At the end she was like, "don't you love aggressive women." Many things went through my head at that point, unsuitable to this PG website, and in the end I responded with, "yes." :cool:

This concludes day one of the Pietro Monologues. :)

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh, one thing that sucked but seems like a re-occurring theme, is that she said she had wanted to talk to me for a while, but I looked mean and unapproachable. :mad:

This sucks as I've heard this from several different women before, generally after they are taken or it's too late.

heathj
03-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Bring out your gay side, you know its there :p

Scott S
03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Post a better version of the story on FI. She sounds cool. :thumbup:

Shane
03-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Before my first set was done she said she'd recucitate (sp?) me if I needed it. I've never spoken to this girl before, she's I'm guessing a bit or slightly more than a bit older, but a total babe. Flirting continued and I learned quite a bit about her as we "lat pulled." When we were done she asked what exercise was next. It just kept going, even down to the level of boob comments and whatnot. Hers not mine dickheads. :mad: Anyway, she then keeps bugging me to go to this boxing class with her on saturday, but whatever, then she wants to train with me this week, and actually gets jokingly upset that I'm training at another gym with someone else tomorrow. In the end she gives me her number and asks for mine. I must repeat now that she's a babe, and from talking to her, a decently successful one to boot.

Hey everyone, LP's a playa. :cool:

At the end she was like, "don't you love aggressive women." Many things went through my head at that point, unsuitable to this PG website, and in the end I responded with, "yes." :cool:

Good answer. :bow:

Oh, one thing that sucked but seems like a re-occurring theme, is that she said she had wanted to talk to me for a while, but I looked mean and unapproachable.

This sucks as I've heard this from several different women before, generally after they are taken or it's too late.

I know how you feel man. When I got out of high school I got that "I used to have a crush on you senior year" schpeel from several chicks I thought were hot. :(

Start wearing a pink shirt to the gym man. Maybe the ladies will flock to you. :D

Keep us posted on the babe.

JustinF
03-10-2004, 04:42 AM
Play on, playa!! ;)

Anthony
03-10-2004, 05:21 AM
Nice work on the deads, good to hear your back is holding up. Good luck with the older (not sure how that is possible...) woman. :P

WillKuenzel
03-10-2004, 09:23 AM
LOL, did the big meany finally met someone that can see past it. :p

Oh yeah, glad to hear the back is holding up well too.

Relentless
03-10-2004, 09:31 AM
what are you doing flirting in the gym?

I thought you were there to train!! Next thing you know you'll be doign curls in the squat rack.

:D

Good luck with the cougar.

ElPietro
03-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey, she's a puma not a cougar!

I WAS actually trying to just train, but as I said, she was being blatantly aggressive.

Lol, almost considering cancelling my workout with Harnek tonight. :D

Coke
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I won't be hatin, lol - the deads are on the mark like you said bro, the whole session was fine and some - ;)

ElPietro
03-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Bleh, short leg session. Harnek was uber late as usual, so I was pretty much done when he showed up. I think he understood how pissed I was, but he had some work stuff to do. Don't like driving through traffic to workout with a guy who's gonna be super late.

Anyway, here it is.

Did 15 minutes on the ellyptical to start, thinking Harnek may show up relatively on time. When I observed the dickhead finish back hyper/barbell curling in the rack I jumped off and ran over to get it.

Squats:

135x4/135x6/225x5/225x5/315x3/315x2

*Felt tired so decided to cut it short. I deadlifted yesterday, so I'm sure it wasn't good to push too much the next day.

Leg Press:

8 plates x8
14p x8
20p x5
16p x8 Pretty fast for the first 6.
14p x8 Speed set.

Leg Curls:

80x8/110x8

**Didn't like this machine.

Machine Calf Raise:

Did 3 or 4 sets, in the end was using the stack and it wasn't too challenging. Oh well, haven't actually done direct calf work in at least half a year.

For the next while I just helped Harnek with his squats. He got up to a single at 405 using his loose suit and wraps. He didn't plan to go that far but felt good with me there to spot. He actually said that there was no way he'd ever try it ever if I wasn't there, as I'm pretty much the only guy he trusts to spot him there. So that was cool. Started discussing me possibly competing and what equipment I may want to get soon so I can start training with it. Sounds like it could get expensive, but whatever, we'll see what I can buy if I go watch the nationals next weekend.

ectx
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh, one thing that sucked but seems like a re-occurring theme, is that she said she had wanted to talk to me for a while, but I looked mean and unapproachable. :mad:

Let them see you eating twinkies. I'm sure it'll soften your image.

*takes up camp in LP's journal*

:spam:

JustinF
03-11-2004, 03:52 AM
Let them see you eating twinkies. I'm sure it'll soften your image.

LOL.

Nice session Pete.

ElPietro
03-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Normally, I wouldn't allow Mexicans in here, but I guess if Alex has posted here before you can too. I know how proud he is of his burrito-esque heritage. :D

*ponders the twinkie angle*

Justin, didn't feel like much of a session, but of course took forever since I just basically became Harnek's b!tch for the last hour. Oh well, glad I could help him for his competition, I'm sure he'll be a great resource when I start.

ectx
03-12-2004, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=ElPietro]Normally, I wouldn't allow Mexicans in here, but I guess if Alex has posted here before you can too. I know how proud he is of his burrito-esque heritage. :D
[QUOTE]

Normally I'd be offended. But anybody who calls alex out gets mad props from me. EL YAY!

Relentless
03-12-2004, 06:41 AM
it's a bit of a blizzard just now in Barrie-town dude.

call me on my mobile if you're still up for a beer tonite

ElPietro
03-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Actually, she's coming down here. Had some interviews or something to do in toronto. I'm just sitting here in PJs waiting for them to finish.

Anyway, here is last night's workout.

Flat BB Bench Warmup:

135x8/135x8/225x5/225x5

*Just a warmup for lockouts.

Rack Lockouts: ~4"

225x3/315x5/365x3/405x3/435x nope/435x nope/405x3

**Moved the pins up a notch, so it was only about 4" ROM. Dunno why 405 is not tough yet 435 felt impossible.

Incline DB Press:

70x8/90x8/90x6

***This bench was at a bit more incline than I usually use. My elbows bugged me a bit after this though, so didn't push it.

Triceps Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8

****More pain but whatever.

Machine Shoulder Press:

165x8/180x8/150x8

*****Pain here too, but I wasn't too worried, as this pain was only during the exercise for the most part, and would die down significantly afterwards, so not as bad. I think things are getting better.

Went out for a quick bite with the girl I met last time. Well, she had soup, I had beer, but whatever. I think I'll go to the boxing class with her on saturday.

ElPietro
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Normally I'd be offended. But anybody who calls alex out gets mad props from me. EL YAY!

I have recently recognized his non-mexican heritage, however, in my journal it's a whole new world, and the sky isn't blue!

*hangs pinata for Al*

briancurran01
03-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Nice work el p do you kinow what is causing the pain? is it one of your old injuries flaring up again?

ElPietro
03-12-2004, 11:27 AM
I've had this before, it's nothing major. It's either the tendon, or nerve. It happens pretty much equally in both arms at the same time. I know it's pretty much from pressing twice a week and I may continue, but try to go lighter on one day, which should help it go away.

briancurran01
03-12-2004, 11:56 AM
good. dont want to see you get hurt again.

ectx
03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I have recently recognized his non-mexican heritage, however, in my journal it's a whole new world, and the sky isn't blue!

*hangs pinata for Al*

He's not a mexi-Can he's a mexi-CANT.

Relentless
03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Actually, she's coming down here. Had some interviews or something to do in toronto. I'm just sitting here in PJs waiting for them to finish.

Aw that sucks. I was lookin' forward to seeing you, ya big lug!

Ah well, next time.

Shane
03-12-2004, 08:27 PM
He's not a mexi-Can he's a mexi-CANT.

LMAO I love that line.

Since I'm 3/8th Mexican I'll only step foot 5/8ths inside the journal. :D

Bruteman
03-12-2004, 11:06 PM
I've said it before, but I'm proud of you for controlling yourself on getting back to the heavier stuff. Nice pimpin' with the chica.

ElPietro
03-13-2004, 08:57 AM
LMAO mexi-cant. :D

Thanks Brute, it's even harder now, as some people will look at like a 385 dead and think it's really heavy, meanwhile i'm seething inside because it's still like 150lbs under my previous max. Oh well, I guess it's better than walking around like a cripple again. :p

Cal, don't worry, last night was boring, at least with the two gals. They kept delaying things, thought it was gonna be a whole day event, but didn't end up meeting them till 10 anyway. This was partly my fault, as I got fed up waiting and went and paid a visit to gym girl's place. :angel:

Shane
03-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Cal, don't worry, last night was boring, at least with the two gals. They kept delaying things, thought it was gonna be a whole day event, but didn't end up meeting them till 10 anyway. This was partly my fault, as I got fed up waiting and went and paid a visit to gym girl's place. :angel:

:hump: :thumbup:

ElPietro
03-15-2004, 06:27 AM
Bleh, went to the gym saturday for a miscellaneous pull session.

Did some close grip pulldowns, some bb shrugs, and some curls. That's it.

Ended up getting a sinus infection that is currently still plaguing me, so didn't bring any workout stuff today.

Relentless
03-15-2004, 07:09 AM

No big, I wound up getting an unexpected call and going out for some beverages with a friend I haven't seen in ages. So it all works out.

Women seem to manage to do things like you describe there all the time.... why is it that unless someone else is in charge, they manage to muck around, change clothes 17 times and generally delay things beyond any reasonable amount of time?

ElPietro
03-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, was starting to feel a bit better so thought I'd go for a quick light workout.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8
135x8
225x8 I actually was doing these quite fast. I'd say the first 4 or 5 were explosive.
255x5 Again, pretty fast off the chest for the first few, none were a struggle.
255x5
225x5 Paused set. Kept the bar at chest, but not resting on chest for ~2 seconds.
225x8

*Well, I felt alright with all this, no spotter but nothing was to failure anyway. I think I will work some paused stuff into my routine. I won't push anything too heavy for maybe 2-3 weeks. I will probably keep it around or under 275 at the most.

Standing Millies:

135x8/135x6

**Mind wasn't really into it.

Triceps Pushdowns:

210x8/225x6

:rolleyes:

DB Laterals:

35x8/35x8

DB Front Raise:

25x8/25x 5 or 6

Did about 15 minutes on the ellyptical while gym girl finished a pilates class then went for some japanese and that was about it.

Gonna train tomorrow, depending on how I feel maybe throw in an afternoon session as well.

Diet: Out of control.

Anthony
03-18-2004, 04:23 AM
Your updates are becoming as sporadic as Dan's. :P What type of grip do you use on bench?

ElPietro
03-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Pinky on the power rings. Closed grip. I think when I first started close gripping it took like 30lbs off the press. I'm not sure if it was just getting used to it, or if it really does put you at some mechanical disadvantage, but that's what the rules say I gotta use so haven't gone back to an open.

Journal entries were sporadic because I was sick. It was easier to keep away from the gym when I was planning on a light/rest week anyway.

Bleh, gonna be in a course all morning.

rookiebldr
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Did about 15 minutes on the ellyptical while gym girl finished a pilates class then went for some japanese and that was about it.

:hump:

WillKuenzel
03-18-2004, 10:40 AM
I always start out with a closed grip but as I press up my thumbs loosen and end up being almost under the bar. I'm not sure as to why but if I keep a closed grip my grip slides wider and wider. I end up just relaxing my thumbs and letting them do what they won't because if my hands go too wide then I lose quite a bit of strength.

ElPietro
03-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I've been finding lately with my grip that I have to adjust it once I get it up after unracking. Sorta turn my hands inward to get the bar resting more on my palm. Seems to feel a lot better that way, but I THINK I keep my thumb pretty tight. Just trying to make sure I don't have habits that will get me redlighted whenever I eventually compete. I'd hate to bomb out of my first comp for some minor form issue.

Anyway, went to the gym for a "toning" session.

Did a quick set of back extensions for no apparent reason.

Then 3 sets of 15 of regular situps. Although, I did them quite fast.

Did some cable crunches: 105x8/115x8/130x8

Did some DB side bends: 3 sets of 8 using a 75er.

Finished with 20 minutes on the ellyptical and hit the showers.

Tonight I'll do a pull session, and will decide when I get there whether I want to deadlift or not.

rookiebldr
03-18-2004, 12:11 PM

Finally! ;)

WillKuenzel
03-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Isn't that all you do anyway with those light weights and all? :p

JustinF
03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Yo.

Saint Patrick
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
lol @ toning.

Shane
03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Lp, Put The Little Pink Dumbbells Down!

ElPietro
03-18-2004, 09:07 PM
*ahem*

Bleh, I was a zombie walking into the gym today. I guess that's what happens when all I eat is 2 stale muffins, a chicken breast and a half-sized detour bar since waking up this morning. Toss in my afternoon tone and I was beat.

So I deadlifted. :cool:

Did a quick set of hypers first.

Conventional Deads:

135x8
225x5 Tired.
315x3 Tired.
315x3 Started to perk up a bit.
365x2 Feeling strong. Full reset between reps.
405x2 Bahaha! 405? Who the hell do you think you are bitch! Felt light.
425x1 We push on. Feels light still.
445x1 Ooo! Again, quick and fast, and not a single issue. I was tempted to go on.
315x8 Bahaha! Speed set. I will consider this cardio from now on! :evillaugh

*Ladies and Gentlemen, life once again has meaning and purpose. :) It was like being able to see in colour for someone who's colourblind. All that work, and my back was not even feeling fatigued. Like no burn at any point, no tiredness, nothing. Needless to say I was happy. I felt like I coulda thrown on 50 more and it wouldn't have mattered. I felt like I used to when I use this crap to warm up to a big lift, so I am pleased. The amazing thing was how I didn't keep going. I guess knowing my old habits of pushing and prodding injuries to see what the limit is, is finally a habit of the past.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

150x8/210x8/225x8

DB Rows:

120x8/120x8

**Bleh, left hand hurt. I counted 4 callouses on my middle finger on that hand. There was a callous on either side of the middle knuckle, which made getting a good grip tough.

Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

Finished with 15 minutes on the ellyptical. The first five minutes I felt like I was either going to pass out, or throw up, but did neither. Gotta make sure I get more calories next time. I probably had between 600-800 calories with two bloody workouts in the mix, over a period of 12 hours.

Tomorrow I have the day off. :cool:

ElPietro
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM

Lol, I should have never taken that picture!

Saint Patrick
03-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Nice work on those Deads, El P

Bruteman
03-20-2004, 02:35 AM
he, he, he...So the truth comes out.

Nice deads bro'!

Scott S
03-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Dude, you should totally work up to the green dumbbells. Then you'll finally be free of that "pink dumbbell" stigma.

Nice deads, BTW.

Saint Patrick
03-20-2004, 09:09 PM
I heard that Elvis was like a 5th-Degree Black Belt in Karate.

rookiebldr
03-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Awesome progress on the deads, Pete. Great to see you're holding back and doing this right. :)

JustinF
03-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Nice work on the deads bro! Keep it up.

ElPietro
03-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys, I think that knowing that I can get back to bigger numbers will give me a chance to go slowly on these still. I was afraid I'd have to rush things in order to at least get near old numbers for july, but I guess I can probably do that sooner rather than later. So maybe I'll just focus on reps for a few weeks and then start pushing the max up again.

Well, I made it to the Canadian Nationals on saturday. Man it was packed. I don't think they expected half as many people to show up. So I ended up standing in the back looking between people to watch the lifts. I got there to see some of the 110s and 125+s squat. That's about all I got to see as I was only there for a couple hours, as my companion had to get home to let her dog out at some point.

There were some big lifts though. Lotta guys squatting over 700 like it was out of style. I just saw Sean Brown's total this morning, and he finished with a total of 887.5, which works out to 1952.5 lbs! :eek: The biggest total I see is a 915, which is 2013, and totally insane. Don't know how many canadian, or IPF records were broken, but it was a huge turnout.

Inzer, Titan, and Metal all had booths there. So I wandered around, spoke with the guy from titan for a bit, and he took some measurements so whenever I decide to order a bench shirt, I know what size to get. Bought a lever belt from the Inzer booth, so now we'll see how that helps/hinders things. I set it pretty ****ing tight though, so not sure if i'll need to adjust it. I expect it to hurt quite a bit for a while, while it gets broken in.

Only got to speak to Harnek for a minute or two as he was reffing. Think he's taking a week off, then we'll probably start training more regularly. Maybe then I'll give squats a try with some wraps and see how they feel.

ElPietro
03-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Push.

Flat BB Bench:

135x8/135x8/225x8/265x5/265x5/265x5/225x8

*Decent enough. Not really pushing myself too much. Even on the final set of 265 I could have gone for at least a couple more reps. So I'll bump this to 275 next time.

Dips:

BWx8/BWx7

Skulls:

105x8/115x8

Machine Shoulder Press:

150x8/175x6

Triceps Pushdown:

210x8/210x8/195x8

Finished with 15 minutes on the ellyptical.

Diet has been perfecto today. Gonna go have a steak and an artichoke now. :)

JustinF
03-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Nice push session Pete.

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Thank you sir. :)

Today was active recovery/abs/unfat day.

Active Recovery:

Incline Machine Bench Press:

140x20/140x15

AB Stuff:

Incline Situps (done with speed):

3 sets of 15

Cable Crunches:

120x8/135x7

DB Sidebends:

85x8/85x8

Ellyptical: 15 minutes.

That's it. On a training note, I am seriously considering starting a westside routine. I've formulated a program based pretty much on the 4 day me/de split outlined on the site here and at elite. Some stuff I can't do because of lack of equipment, such as reverse hypers and GHRs, but I think I've outlined a decent routine. I'll probably go to home depot this week and buy some 2x6's and some PL Premium and glue some boards together for board pressing. I'll speak to Harnek and see if he's interested in this split, otherwise I'll just work with him on occaison, hopefully mondays, as it would be too much for the gym bunnies at my regular gym to understand board pressing, and their heads may explode. I'll keep to my regular mishmash split this week and start out monday. Think I'll give the bench concept outlined by bench monster, on maxing on bench, and then progressively maxing out on higher boards every two weeks and see how that goes. Only concern is if my triceps can handle it, so we shall see.

If I can get my hands on a bench shirt, and a squat suit, my rough goals for the July competition are as follows:

Bench: ~350 (If I don't get a shirt then it will probably be closer to 325, if I get a shirt then I think 350 is a conservative guestimate)

Squat: ~480-550 (Don't know how much help I will get from wraps/belt/suit, but most guys are telling me that with the three I could easily get to 500 relatively instantly given my current max. Only one way to find out.)

Deadlift: ~500-585 (dependent on back) This is a wide range, as I'm not sure if I'll get much out of wearing a belt, and perhaps a squat suit may help a tad. I expect I will fall in the lower range of the listed max, but we'll see.

Maybe I'll post the routine I've come up with later if I'm not too lazy, for you gurus to critique.

Relentless
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
why not just follow Harnek's routine? Or does he basically do westside anyway?

seems to me he's been quite successful and you could do worse than emulating him

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 11:34 AM
His routine is westside-ish. As in he does a 3 day a week split, with bench and squats combined, and then a day for deadlifts. Bench squat is done monday/friday, with a speed day and a heavy day. But this leaves little room for assistance stuff. I think he wants to try some of this stuff anyway, and has admitted he needed to get some form of new routine. Just not sure if he'll be into a 4 day split. He's always late anyway, so it's tough enough to have a decent session with him.

The main thing about our training is that we trust each other to spot on all exercises, and I think he uses me to motivate himself to actually go regularly. I don't think this is too radically different that he won't be interested in at least some of it.

Saint Patrick
03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Those are some awesome goals man, good luck.

BTW nice work on that bench press.

WillKuenzel
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Type out the routine ya lazy foo'!

I think you'd benefit better from a 4 day routine than following what Harnek is doing, or at least from the sound of it.

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Ok, just because I still have 30 minutes to kill before the end of the day.

Monday:

Max Effort Bench

Max exercises rotated: (choose one)
Board Press 2,3,5
CG Incline Press
Pin Press
Flat Bench

Rest of session:
DB Bench 3x5
Skulls 3x 6-10
Seated Cable Row 4x 5-8
Light Shoulder Work

Tuesday:

Max Effort Squat/Deadlift:

Max Effort Exercises Rotated: (choose one)
Good Mornings
Squats
Deadlifts (various forms, from pins, off platform, etc.)

Rest of session:
Leg Press/Lunges 5x 6-8 (pick one)
Cable Crunches 4x 8-12
DB Sidebends 3x 4-8
Back Extensions 3x 8-12

Thursday:

Dynamic Effort Bench:

Speed Bench 8x3 (may use bands sometime)

DB Bench 3x5
DB Extensions 3x 6-10
DB Rows/Lat Pulldowns 4x 5-8 (pick one)
Front and Lateral Delt Raise (light-ish)

Friday:

Dynamic Effort Squat/Deadlift

Speed Squats 8x3 (maybe with bands or box if we make one)
Speed Deadlifts 6x1 @60% 1rm

Stiff legged Deadlifts 5x 8-10
Ab Crunches 4x 8-12
DB Sidebends 3x 4-8
Back Extensions 3x 8-12

That's pretty much it. Some of the assistance stuff is not written in stone. If I feel like I can add more I may, or I may vary the exercises, like pushdowns instead of db extensions for tris, or different lat movements, etc.

I also said previously that on bench I will probably stick with flat bench and board presses if I can get them worked in. If not then it'll probably be the close grip and pin presses instead.

That's the gist of it. Westside is more a training method/philosophy than a set routine of exercises, so I will probably be tinkering with which movements I use for assistance, but I think the core group of max effort movements will stay pretty much to the above plan. Unless that is, if someone else who knows better comes in and rips it apart. But it's pretty much based on the basic routine Adam posted in his article.

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Those are some awesome goals man, good luck.

BTW nice work on that bench press.

Thanks Patty. Remember that those goals are factoring with equipment.

Homoyield, wtf did I post that for and then no response! Bah!

Anyway, did a pull session.

Seated Cable Rows:

150x8/180x8/210x8/240x5/225x6

*Did these since it seemed like today is lat pull day and both pulleys had 3 people working together each on em. Haven't done these much at all. Didn't feel too strong, but I guess it takes getting used to. Didn't go higher as I wanted to make sure form was strict.

Pullups:

x5/x4.9

**Bleh, pulleys still in use, so I thought I'd try these. Apparently, I'm quite heavy. :( I think if I actually did these regularly it wouldn't be much problem. When I've tried them in the past I've been able to do a lot more.

CG Lat Pulldowns:

210x8/210x6

***Yes the ****ing pulley freed up just in time for me to be fatigued. :mad:

DB Rows:

120x8

****Quite tired now, and a callous made it painful to grip with the left, so just did one set. Figured I did enough already anyway.

Concentration Curls:

40x6/40x6

DB Hammer Curls:

35x8/35x8/40x8/40x8/50x6

Decided to get my sweat on with the ellyptical. Went for 20 minutes at a pretty good clip.

That's it.

Tomorrow I think I will discover the wonderful world of good mornings. Need to try em for the first time so I'll just do it nice and light. Maybe do some squats, and maybe try SLDLs. I haven't done those since they tore my hammy, so there is a reckoning to be had with those.

rookiebldr
03-23-2004, 09:25 PM

Because you had 30 mins to kill and didn't want to run another ****ing report. ;)

Scott S
03-23-2004, 09:54 PM
With your back, you'll probably want to keep those SLDLs pretty light. I need to be careful, because I get pretty exuberant (read: stupid) with them myself.

Good pullups. 5 reps is good enough to start adding weight! :thumbup:

Anthony
03-24-2004, 05:36 AM
I'd do more hamstring work, they can never be too strong. And also be sure to do box squats.

Relentless
03-24-2004, 06:01 AM
Tomorrow I think I will discover the wonderful world of good mornings. Need to try em for the first time so I'll just do it nice and light.

Good on ya! I've been loving these since I started 'em again.

I have been finding that I need to get the bar really low on my shoulders, even a bit past where I'd prefer to squat with it. I have also been using a slight external rotation of my feet and really pushing my elbows out and back to provide a solid platform for the bar.

ElPietro
03-24-2004, 06:38 AM
I may add more hammy work in, we'll see. Scott S yeah, don't worry about me going light for a while. I've injured myself both on regular and stiff deads, so I give them both a lot more respect now.

Cal, I don't think I can get the bar any lower than my squat setup anyway. I get scabs low on my rear delt already, and yeah, the elbows are always under the bar. Makes a huge difference. I'll probably just do light good mornings to get used to the feel, then have Harnek check my form, or if I bring my cam to record it to see how I am on them. Then maybe I'll move on to some heavy-ish squats. I just want to see how much it hurts to squat or dead with this new belt.

Bruteman
03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
If I can get my hands on a bench shirt, and a squat suit, my rough goals for the July competition are as follows:

I thought you were going to stick with lifting raw? What made you decide to go with equipment?

ElPietro
03-24-2004, 01:43 PM
I only considered lifting raw for my first competition, but I have decided against it. If I am going to lift with equipment, I may as well get some and train or at least learn it.

Also, knowing my tendency to constantly push myself too far, resulting in injury most of the time, it's probably best to get some so that when I am making max attempts I use it. Maybe the added support and protection could save me from my annual <insert bodypart> tear.

All I have right now is a belt anyway, and shall use it for the first time tonight. Err...well I've had wraps for a while too but they just sit at the bottom of my gym bag.

The last reason Brute, is that lifting raw with the required form would give me approximately 0% chance of being competitive, while using equipment that everyone else uses will at least give me a fighting chance. I think raw I probably would only realistically total something like 1300, and then progress would be so small that it would probably cause me to lose interest. If equipment is part of the sport, I see no reason not to use it.

Bruteman
03-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Gotchya'!

ElPietro
03-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Today was legs or something like that. As planned I tried good mornings for the first time. Just working on form.

Did a quick set of 8 on the back hyper to get a bit of warmth in the lower back.

Good Mornings:

45x6/45x6/95x5/95x5/135x3/135x3

*I forgot my notebook, so I'm going by memory, but it was something like that. This actually put quite a bit of load on my hamstrings. I think my hammies are strong, but this was outside their comfort zone, as I haven't done any compounds for them since I tore em. For the rest of my workout hamstrings burned. Form was ok, I don't think I had a good arch though. I will probably do another light session of these on friday, and then have Harnek check my form on tuesday if we train together then. I think the flexibility and strength in that ROM will come pretty fast though. None of this was especially taxing though, I just felt the strain on the hams so didn't wanna push it.

Squats:

135x6/225x5/315x3/315x3/315x3/315x3

**Wow, I felt weak here, so didn't push it. I think it's all mental with squats though. Each of those triples felt equally difficult, so I probably could have gone much higher without any trouble, but whatever. Lower back and hamstrings felt really tired and a bit tight, so didn't wanna push it. I used my belt for the first time on the second, third and fourth triple. I think it made it a tad easier just after coming out of the hole. I thought the belt would be too tight, but I may actually be able to move it tighter by one notch. Not too sure how super tight it should really be though. I guess it's preference.

Lying Hamstring Curls:

80x8/100x 6 or 8 (don't remember)

Back Hypers:

BW+35x 6 or 8/BWx8

***Lower back was bitching at me at this point.

That's pretty much it. I felt mucho drained. Stretched for about 5 minutes, mainly hamstrings, and core muscle groups.

Finally moved on to the ellyptical for 20 minutes at a pretty good clip.

That's it.

I don't think the GMs have uncovered any specific weaknesses, but if they have in any way, or can bring up some muscles I haven't worked well enough, then I'm pretty excited at what these may do for my deadlift or squat.

On the diet front, yesterday, I was significantly low on cals, I may not have broken the 2k mark, today I am probably a bit high. Somewhere between 2600-2900 is my guess.

rookiebldr
03-24-2004, 08:51 PM
All this talk about GM's almost got me doing them today. Nice session dude.

ectx
03-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Squats:

135x6/225x5/315x3/315x3/315x3/315x3

**Wow, I felt weak here, so didn't push it.

CLAP
sorry, couldn't help it?
:p

How's the back holding up, twinky boy?

Anthony
03-25-2004, 04:18 AM
Good Mornings: 135x3

This actually put quite a bit of load on my hamstrings ... this was outside their comfort zone ... For the rest of my workout hamstrings burned.

I don't think the GMs have uncovered any specific weaknesses

:scratch:

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 07:04 AM
EC Clap it up! :mad: Chupa mi grande huevos! Back is good so far.

Anthony, if you have a movement that is completely new, obviously it's going to be akward. Second of all, hamstrings aren't going though this ROM on any other powerlifting lift, so if they aren't use to that ROM they will also be weaker at the greatest stretch point. This doesn't mean that I've uncovered a weakness in any of the musclegroups for the big 3 within their respective ROMS.

Perhaps i have, but I don't think so. Isolation work on hamstrings is at or higher than before I tore the left one, and back then I was just starting on SLDLs and in the low to mid 300s. So I think it's just a matter of getting up to speed on this particular exercise.

Anthony
03-25-2004, 07:19 AM
I have no doubt your GMs will improve as you get used to the movement. I just started them this year and I definitely have room for improvement. Now, maybe it's your hamstring strength or maybe it's the flexibility ... but if you feel it that much after relatively light sets (for your size/strength) then I would suspect that's an area that needs attention. :P

How did you tear it, anyway?

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 07:52 AM
I tore it doing SLDLs. I am guessing either bad form, or having my legs totally straight and maybe coming down too fast and reversing too fast. Which would cause a lot more tension than the actual poundage.

I was doing something like 315 for 5-8 reps I think back then, and then moved up to 340 and that's when it went. I then re-injured it playing football, which made things much worse, and then aggravated it again playing football another time. So now I don't play football anymore. I guess the explosive stop/starts, and lateral movement, coupled with my weight was too much for it then, and now it's not worth risking it anymore. Although, I've played a lot of hockey and not had a problem.

As for the good mornings, I would love to think I have a weakness in the glutes/hams, and it could very well be, in which case I look forward to improving on these. Obviously my back isn't 100% either, so I'm surprised this movement doesn't scare me more, since it targets my two injuries so effectively.

Relentless
03-25-2004, 08:08 AM
it's a shame you've given up football

you have some good lateral movement for a big man

Anthony
03-25-2004, 08:20 AM
When you tore it, did you notice right away? i.e., did you drop the weight and scream like a little girl? Either way, that sucks. Maybe it's more about flexibility than strength. Can you touch the floor while knees are locked?

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Anthony, the first time I heard it and felt it. But no, the pain was very minor at that moment, as the muscle was still warm. After that it hurt and I walked with a limp. It wasn't TOO bad, so I just slowly rehabbed on my own. When I reinjured it playing tackle football, it was almost on the first play when I came up to rush the QB, and right away I felt it, and that hurt like a mofo, as I guess the muscle wasn't too warm.

Yeah I can touch the floor. I can almost touch my forehead to my knees while standing as well, I don't think there is any bend at the knee, but I'm trying to make sure legs are perfectly straight now as the focus is the hamstring, not the lower back.

Cal, yeah it sucks. I'd love to come out and play on the weekends with you guys, but it's not really worth the risk, considering how miserable I get if I'm out of training. Not to mention fat.

Anthony
03-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Heard it!!! Daaaaamn!!

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Yup, same with my back, it sounded like the first few kernals popping when making popcorn. :(

WillKuenzel
03-25-2004, 09:28 AM

Shuddup!

It looks good overall to me and seems like you know what you need to do. I'd just keep in mind where your weaknesses are and use the ME days to help strength them. I'd also concentrate on whatever lifts think will help you get the biggest total. You don't seem to have too much problems deadlifting so I might concentrate more on the squats to get those numbers up. I think the GM are a great exercise with good carry-over to both squat and dead.

Like you know though, just warm up good before doing something stupid so not to re-injure that back of yours, old man. :p

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Thank you captain obvious! :D

Bleh, I am drained. Went to play hockey for my work, after work, and since I haven't been playing I knew it would be tough. Throw in a very sore set of hamstrings, and lower back, and it did suck. Only 6 bloody players showed up for our team, and what was worse was only 6 showed up for the other team. I was expecting we'd be able to at least borrow a guy or two. Playing hockey for an hour straight with only one sub really, really sucks.

Diet was extremely low today. I'm not sure where I sit right now, as I can't quite ascertain how much beer and wings I consumed after the game. :p But I am pretty sure it wasn't that much so I am guessing I"m still probably well under. Oh well, better under than over when you're fat.

ElPietro
03-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Bleh, I can't believe both my hamstrings and lower back are still quite tight after those good mornings from last week. I don't know whether I should consider this a setback, or simply working areas that needed work in this ROM.

Anyway, I'll probably try and warm up those musclegroups tonight, and give em a good stretch and see if that fixes things at all for tomorrow's session. I'll probably start my westside routine tonight with max bench, so there won't be any work on the lower back or hammies anyway. Obviously, I won't be using GMs as my max effort squat exercise until I can get the form and weight up to par. I'll probably have to bastardize my current plan for a bit depending on where I'm training. I don't think Harnek will be following this program, as he's got a shoulder problem and doesn't want to push anything for a while. That and he only wants to go 3 times per week right now. I didn't think I'd be able to do all this with him anyway, since he's always late. When I move on to board pressing I may end up doing them during the day with my chest assistance stuff. There are a couple people I can get to help me with that.

On a semi-positive note, I think my cut is going alright. I can recognize my pattern of leaning out during the week, and then bloating up over the weekend, as carbs are a bit out of control. But overall it seems the net difference is that I'm losing some bodyfat. Hopefully I can continue this, it's hard to compare to past weights as I wasn't using creatine then, and this represents anywhere from 5-8 lbs in water apparently.

Anthony
03-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Still suffering from those GMs, eh? Hehehe, gotta love them. I think they are going to be a good movement for you. And what's this dieting stuff about???

ElPietro
03-29-2004, 12:02 PM
The diet is somewhat planned. I am not in the weight class I plan on being in. I'd rather diet down now, and be able to train the final month with a goodly amount of calories in me. I'd rather not be doing my first competition on a cut if you know what I mean. If I can get down below target with creatine supplemented then that would be best, since I don't think it's a banned substance. If I'm not successfully cutting, I can cut out the creatine a month before and drop whatever weight it's responsible for to make the 110 class.

Anthony
03-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Ahh, makes sense. :D

ElPietro
03-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Ok, today was my first forray into the wonderful world of westside.

ME Bench:

Flat Bench:

45x8
135x8
135x8
225x5
265x3
295x1 Got some looks when I got underneath without a spotter.
325x1 PR. No problemo.
335x0 Near miss here. Spotter said he only helped maybe a couple pounds. I was out of my groove though, so it was pretty ugly.
315x1 Kinda ugly rep, but spotter didn't touch it. Just slow.
225x8 Cinch.

*Well, I guess I'm happy with that. I was kinda hoping for 335 but bleh, I almost had it. Maybe without the 325 in there I may have gotten it, but we'll see how she goes next week.

Incline DB Bench:

90x5/100x5/100x4

**This bench was at a higher incline than I normally use. Got the 5th rep up half way on the final set. Was a bit disappointed with this.

Skulls:

105x8/105x8/105x8

Seated Cable Rows:

165x8/210x6/240x6/225x6/210x6

***Ok, I basically rested long enough to ensure I wouldn't puke before each set. I was feeling pretty damned naseous at this point. Nothing to failure, although the 240 was close.

Superset: Front and Lateral DB Raise:

Laterals: 25x8/25x8
Front: 20x8/20x8

****This concludes the light shoulder work prescribed in the program. Although, my shoulders sure were burning like hell at this point.

I had no will or strength in me to even attempt cardio. Although, I went over to gym girl's after if that counts.

ectx
03-29-2004, 08:33 PM
No Cardio? You are WEAK *CLAP* willed

iHate your bench. What's your PB?

Now give me a twinky, you ass. I'm starvin'.

rookiebldr
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
I had no will or strength in me to even attempt cardio. Although, I went over to gym girl's after if that counts.

Yes it counts!

WillKuenzel
03-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Bench looks pretty sweet, dude. Are you pausing at the bottom like regulation would require or just touch and go? Are you going to get a shirt to help with that later?

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Culo face, if PR=325, and PB=PR then PB=?. It's right there in black and blue. No cream filled goodness for you. tuttut

Jeff, thanks, I wasn't sure. ;)

William, I am not pausing per se, but I am coming down extremely slowly, and not shooting up right at the bottom. So no, I'm not pausing according to regulation, so I will be working on that probably in a month or so. I used to think that the pause would take a lot off, and it probably does, but I don't lift with a bounce off the chest, or a quick stretch reflex off the bottom, so I'm not sure what impact it would really have on me. What is good is it seems that the IPF is going to be bringing back the clap, which tells lifters when to press. Currently you just pause on your own, with no guideline other than "a visible pause" and then hope whatever you did meets the judges criteria.

I originally was not going to use a bench shirt my first competition. But now I think if I can get my hands on a shirt and suit I will use them. Lifting raw I will obviously not be able to compete, and if I'm going to use it in the future I may as well learn it now. But I still need to get this stuff, and learn it, so we'll see.

Anthony
03-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Damn fine work on the pressing! If you plan to use equipment for the summer meet, I highly suggest getting them as soon as possible.

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks. I'm just not sure what to get equipment-wise. I was hoping that I might be able to get an old shirt or suit from Sean Brown to use, but not sure that will happen. So now I have to decide if I'm going with Inzer or Titan, I'd rather not make two seperate orders if need be. How much can you train in a shirt before it loses some elasticity, or becomes less effective?

Anthony
03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
You'll find an equal amount of fans for Titan and Inzer, so I think it's a personal decision. I went with Inzer because I knew I was getting the wraps/belt from them. Not to mention their website is easier to navigate, etc. Also, I've heard their shipping is a lot faster.

As for how long the equipment lasts ... I can't really speak from experience, but I think it's non issue for newbies like us. Chris and Eric both train with shirts on a regular basis and I don't hear them replacing it every few months. You might want to ask them, though.

I'm going to try putting on my shirt this weekend, but I'm not looking forward to it. The thing is tiny!

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Well there is a site, I think it's gymshop.com or .ca that sells plifting stuff, and I met with them at the nationals. They don't charge much for shipping and they are canadian so no exchange either. They sell Inzer stuff primarily. Or I could email and buy from Louis Levesque who is the Titan distributor for canada, who was the guy that took some measurements for me for a shirt at the competition.

It's gonna get expensive though, I guess I'll need a new pair of shoes, I called a store and they only had the high top chuck taylor's so not sure if those are worse than the low ones or not. Dunno how they'd be to squat in, but I have to make sure whatever I get is IPF legal. I ain't paying $200+ for squat shoes that's for sure.

Anthony
03-30-2004, 08:25 AM
The problem with ordering from distributors is they may not have your size/color/whatever in stock. What's wrong with the high tops? I don't really think shoes are an issue, check the IPF site, I'm pretty sure it basically says "no work boots" and some other minor stuff.

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Actually, the site is thegymshop.net.

I'll probably get the high tops, I don't really care anyway, I just thought they'd look stupid training in, but my pants would cover em anyway.

What's the difference between the shirts? I see the phenom is double the price of the high performance. The fury from titan seems like it would cost slightly less, although I'm not sure on candian pricing. Maybe I'll see if there are any for sale on the CPU forum.

WillKuenzel
03-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I went to an APF meet here recently and they judge behind you on the bench says, "Go," whenever you have paused long enough. This pretty much insures that you have stayed there long enough.

I'm not sure but I think the IPF might be a bit more strict on equipment than most federations. I'd be double sure what you can use. The Chucks I don't see really being a problem though.

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Yes they are more strict. But both Inzer and Titan list their equipment based on which federations they are legal for. So it's quite clear what is IPF legal or not.

I just checked the CPU forum, and the very first thread is a Fury for sale in size 54 which is what Louis recommended for me. Hope I can get it off this guy. :)

The IPF used to use a clap, so once you unracked, they would say go, and you'd go down, and then they'd clap or say "press" for you to start the press. It seems like 99% of completed lifts that are red lighted right now are due to the pause at the bottom, and the clap or press command would eliminate this entirely.

Relentless
03-30-2004, 09:04 AM
The problem with ordering from distributors is they may not have your size/color/whatever in stock. What's wrong with the high tops? I don't really think shoes are an issue, check the IPF site, I'm pretty sure it basically says "no work boots" and some other minor stuff.

Why no work boots?

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Shoes must be sport related. Tis the rules.

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Lunchtime session:

Active Recovery:

Incline Machine Bench:

130x20/130x20

Ellyptical: 25 minutes.

ME Squat tonight.

JustinF
03-30-2004, 02:26 PM

ElPietro
03-30-2004, 06:54 PM
*eats spam*

ME Squat: :cool:

Squats:

135x3
135x6
225x5
275x3
315x3 Belt implemented on this set.
365x1 Belt adjusted after this set.
405x1 No problemo mang.
425x1 Booyaka, 20 lb PR.
315x5

*Was pretty pleased here on a few fronts. My belt was actually too loose, which is a testament that my cut is working to some degree. Borrowed a key off a guy that had a flat head (the key, not the guy) so that I could make the belt adjustment. Felt better at the new setting. 425 wasn't exactly what I'd call fast, but there was no doubt. I felt like I had more in me, but the guy who spotted me on the two heavy singles seemed a bit nervous. Something about me telling him that if I said "get back" during my attempt, it meant to clear out prior to me throwing it off my back. :D Some people simply have no taste for 'worst case scenario' planning. Decided to quit while I was ahead.

45 Degree Leg Press:

450x8/630x8/810x8/900x6/720x8/540x8 (speed set to finish)

**Well, leg press is sufficiently unfun after heavy squats. Although, I think I hate unloading the ****er more than anything else. Luckily some guy wanted to get on and asked me to leave 4 plates aside. I was happier than a pig in ****. :)

Cable Crunches:

110x10/125x10/135x8/105x10

***Weee! Abs burning.

DB Sidebends:

95x6/95x6/95x6

****Wow, I didn't realize these things can hurt when you push a bit.

Back Extensions:

BWx8/BW+25x8/BW+25x8

That was it. Tried a futile attempt at stretching after, but everything was too damned tight. Lower back was somewhat sore for the drive home, but that's probably from sitting in a car for 40 minutes right after working it.

Ahhh...tomorrow is my day off lifting according to PietroSide. I think I may do a double dose of cardio, and throw in some shrugs for my own personal enjoyment. :)

That is all for now.

WillKuenzel
03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Ace job on the squats, man!

Where do you think your weak point is on squats?

rookiebldr
03-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Awesome squats. 20lb PR and you're thinner!

JustinF
03-31-2004, 04:00 AM
Nice work Pete!!

Coke
03-31-2004, 05:18 AM
Great leg work...I figure if I can do it, your big a$$ ought to be able to breeze thru some $hit - :thumbup:

Adam
03-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Nice squatting!
On the belt, if yours is the same as mine you can just use a dime instead of a screwdriver to adjust it. Makes it alot more conveniant to adjust.

ElPietro
03-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Spanks guys!

A-Mac, yeah I ended up using the end of a key, I actually asked the guy for a dime and he offered his key which was cool. I didn't have any pockets on my pants and was just gonna start canvassing all the people that looked like they may have loose change. :p I'm sure it's the same belt, lever from Inzer, I think it's the only lever belt around, just sold under different companies. 13mm, didn't hurt as bad as I'd thought, need to get a vid or Harnek to check depth though.

Will, my sticking point I guess would be just after I come out of the hole. I am thinking this is a glute/ham issue. Lower back also probably isn't 100% yet, so that would have a contribution to the problem. Not sure about hip flexors. Hmmm...have I mentioned every muscle in the exercise yet? :p I guess quads aren't too bad. I'm hoping that so long as I don't re-injure, adding in some good mornings and maybe SLDL will help bring my squat up quick.

ElPietro
03-31-2004, 09:29 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that i just put my belt at a notch I've never used before. I added some holes last time I was on my cut, but never used the last one before, but I did today. :clap:

It's kinda odd though, since the scale says I'm ~15-18 lbs heavier than I was at the peak of my last cut.

ElPietro
03-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Quick Lunchtime session:

BB Shrugs:

135x8
225x8
315x5
405x5
495x4
495x4
405x5
315x8
225x10

*Bah, I can't feel these doing anything, yet they are still taxing. Oh well, I'm sure it's worth something, at least I'm building some callouses for when I actually start deadlifting heavy again.

Relentless
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
if you want to feel the shrugs more, try doing much bigger sets at the beginning/end... like 20-25 reps

you'll feel it then

I think traps are one of those weird muscles that is hard to work intensely enough to pump it when you go heavy but you can get it pretty hard at med/light weight

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Actually, my traps hurt like hell yesterday and today. I disagree on the light medium stuff. I think it can get a better overall ROM, but I think going super heavy is the way to train em. Even with limited ROM the strain is really placed on the traps, and if anything else will at least strengthen my grip for deads a bit.

Anyway, wednesday I actually went to the gym, mainly because gym girl bugged me to go so I could spot her on bench press which I just taught her. Just did a few curls and forearm stuff and left.

Here's last night's workout.

DE Bench

Speed Bench:

Warmup: 135x8/135x8/225x5

Speed Sets: 205x3/205x3/205x3

*Ok, I'm a dumbass, and finally realized why the past few times I've had elbow/triceps problems and haven't had good speed. It's because I had been mindlessly throwing a 35 on instead of a 25, so all this time I thought I was doing 185 I was really doing 205! I finally caught on after three sets and switched it.

5 sets @185x3

**Speed wasn't too bad, but I'd rather it be a bit faster than it was. Used three grips, widest was on the 3 sets at 205, then moved it to medium grip, and the final 3 were done relatively close grip, maybe hands an inch away from the smooth.

DB Incline Bench:

85x8/85x8/85x8

Overhead DB Extensions:

85x8/85x8/85x8

CG Lat Pulldowns:

135x8/180x8/210x8/210x7/210x5

DB Rows:

120x8

Superset: DB Lateral & Front Raise:

L: 25x8/25x8/25x8
F: 20x8/20x8/20x8

Well, I felt like a bag of hammered **** at this point, went upstairs and tried to do some cardio on the ellyptical, but lasted 5 minutes and couldn't continue. No energy left at all.

Tonight is DE Squat, although my legs are still sore, and back a bit stiff. I'll probably go anyway, don't wanna bump things to the weekend.

I'll be mailing a cheque today for a Fury Shirt and Superior Suit today too. :)

Shane
04-02-2004, 12:10 PM
*Ok, I'm a dumbass, and finally realized why the past few times I've had elbow/triceps problems and haven't had good speed. It's because I had been mindlessly throwing a 35 on instead of a 25, so all this time I thought I was doing 185 I was really doing 205! I finally caught on after three sets and switched it.

Haha! How do you mistake a 35 for a 25?

Some nice effort anyway. Great work on the incline Db's. :thumbup:

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I am used to adding in 45 lb increments until after two plates. I guess I'm just used to weight ending in 85 after 2 plates, so with two plates on there you add a 35 to make 285, but of course I was only using one plate, which means I need the 25. It's dumb, but I guess when you aren't used to doing any work between 135 and 225 it's an honest enough mistake. I think. :)

ElPietro
04-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, I made it to the end of my first week of westside.

DE Squat:

Speed Squats:

Warmup: 135x5/135x5/135x5/225x3

Speed Sets: 8 sets of 2 @ 255 lbs.

*Speed was ok, could have been better I think though.

Speed Deadlifts:

Warmup: 135x6/225x6/315x3

Speed Sets: 6 singles @ 315

**Not too bad here. Form seemed pretty good. ~30 seconds rest between sets.

Good Mornings:

45x8/95x8/95x8/95x8/95x8

***Kicked the **** out of me again. Back was exhausted. Didn't feel it too much in the hammies this time, but I felt them tightening up pretty quick afterwards. It wasn't actually that challenging, just exhausting. I was gonna up the weight, but figured the volume dictated otherwise, and I'd rather just worry about increasing weight next week.

Situps:

4 sets of 10, done very fast, with maybe 20-30 seconds rest.

Superset: DB SideBends & Back Extensions:

DB SB: 90x6/90x6
BE: x8/x8

****If I wanted to follow things by the exact plan, I should have done 4 sets of sidebends, and 3 sets of extensions. Unfortunately, my body disagreed with this concept, and I was sorta rushing things anyway, as gym girl was waiting to go for japanese after.

That's it.

heathj
04-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Just stopping by foo. What made you decide to do Westside?

90 lbs on sidebends, damn nigga!

Bruteman
04-04-2004, 03:11 AM
Will wonders never cease. First you controlled yourself trying to rehab your back, now you are following a regular split. Nice job this week big man!

ElPietro
04-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Heath, dunno, I had pondered it for a while. I did 95 on sidebends the previous time, although both of them kicked the **** out of me.

Brute, yeah, it's nice to have something clearly defined. It's been awhile.

Well today was ME Bench.

Bench:

135x8
135x8
225x5
275x2
305x1 I thought I was cool because I didn't need a spotter for this. :cool:
335x0 ****ing slut! I messed up my back, possibly too tight an arch for what I'm used to. Lots o' pain, had to bail on it. :mad:
335x1* Yes I'm stubborn, and had to try again. This was a slow full rep, but the spotter aided a bit. He said maybe 2 lbs or whatever, but still it ain't mine yet. :mad:
315x2 Possibly a lb of assistance on the second rep, or at least stabilizing.
225x8

*Well, I am a failure. I think I should own that weight, but something obviously went wrong with my arch. Considering I pretty much got it the second time, leads me to think if I didn't get the back spasm thing the first time I woulda had it. Oh well, time to change my max effort exercise anyway. Glad it went out on such a positive. :rolleyes: I also tried my wrist wraps, but they didn't seem to do much. I didn't use them for the second attempt at 335.

DB Incline Bench:

90x5/100x5/100x5

SkullCrushers:

115x8/115x8/115x6

Seated Cable Rows:

135x8/195x8/240x6/225x6/210x6

Superset: Lateral & Front DB Raise:

L: 25x8/25x8/25x8
F: 20x8/20x8/20x8

**Westside dictates light shoulder work but these sure do work up a damned intense burn at the end of the session.

Ellyptical: 7 minutes. No gas left.

Well, I was pleased and displeased with this session. I was way low on calories today. Forgot my lunch, ran out of protein bars, and basically my main meal was a grilled chicken caesar, which didn't do anything for me. Wolfed down a snickers bar about an hour before workout though, hoping to get a bit of energy. Bah. :mad:

RBB
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
damn, 335 is beast. nice benching man

ElPietro
04-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks dude, although, I did need a tad amount of assistance. I guess that post was a bit misleading, which is why I put the asterisk and the comment after.

Ugh, not sure how I'll continue to increase lifts if I'm trying to cut a bit. Bleh, I shoulda just cut hardcore for a month, and then started westside, but it's not like I ever do anything the easy way.

Was too lazy last night to do laundry, so I gotta go buy some gym pants on my lunch break for tonights max effort squat session. :p I shall dazzle the gym people with my fabuloso new black chucky's. :cool: I may even try using wraps...calling in Harnek to spot me, even though it's an off day for him.

And I'm gonna get a haircut first, so that should gimme at least 5lbs more on the lift. :D

Relentless
04-06-2004, 07:56 AM
I have faith that 335 is yours, barring back spasms

I've been finding that even with the medium-light volume work I've been doing, my back will spasm up sometimes, especially when i'm drawing my shoulder blades back

as suggested elsethread, do you think some light back work (pulldowns?) would help this?

ElPietro
04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
You mean as warmup? Maybe, dunno, it was a wierd spot, the muscle that goes right along the left side of the spine, near the bottom of the ribcage, and up a bit. Maybe rows would be better, or more aggressive stretching. My hammies and lower back were still stiff from the good mornings from friday, so i dunno if that had anything to do with it. Or maybe just need to get used to the arch a bit more. I guess I won't worry about it for a bit since I'm gonna probably move on to incline bench for a couple weeks. Next time I max on flat bench I'll probably warm up the back a bit though, it can't hurt.

Anyway, surprisingly it's not hurting at all today. Hamstrings still feel a tad stiff, but I think I will max squat anyway. I was contemplating doing it wednesday, but if I do it today I may be able to squish in DE bench and squat in the same session on thursday, since I leave the city friday morning.

WillKuenzel
04-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I've had my back cramp up plenty of times when going for a PR. I seem to always set the arch a bit tighter for those attempts than I normally do. I think when that little bit of leg drive I have kicks in, it pushes the arch even tighter and at that point the back is so flexed that it just cramps. Stretching helps some but its never really seemed to prevent it from happening for me.

Focused70
04-06-2004, 10:45 AM
You're scaring me, dude. =P

I'm just a newbie. Is this what's in my future? Back spasms? heheh.

Anyway, take care.

Soba

ElPietro
04-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Soba, yeah man! Back spasms, back popping sounds, torn hamstrings! All in a good years work. Then you get to walk around like a gimp and not train for months on end. It's sooooo much fun! :smoke:

Anyway, trained with Harnek tonight, he confirmed how easy it can be to hurt your back on bench, and you have to build up to it somewhat.

Anyway, ME Squat day: :)

Squats:

135x5
135x8
225x3
225x5 Done with mucho speed.
275x3
315x3
365x1 Added belt here. Harnek finally rolled in at this point.
405x1 No sweat mang.
435x1 10 lb PR! :cool: Came up slow as hell, I thought I might not haven't, but then made some ungodly low pitched sound and it went up without assistance.
315x1.5 Lol, wanted to try using wraps. I had an old pair of red devils Harnek gave me. He put them on me, while I tried to hold in my screams of agony. God damn they hurt. First rep was sloppy, second rep I couldn't get down, obviously not enough weight. Oh well, I'll try again next week.
315x5 These were about as deep as my stance and body would allow me to do them, and I also did them somewhat explosively towards the top of the ROM. Lotsa pop on the bar.

*Well, another PR day for squats. I didn't go for anymore, well, didn't think I'd get anymore anyway. Everything was slightly black in my vision for about 30 seconds after that rep.

Leg Press:

14 plates x8/18 plates x8/20 plates x5

*Can't remember if I did another set with less plates, didn't have my journal with me. Was feeling lazy anyway.

Cable Crunches: (using teh heavy pulley)

110x8/120x8/130x8/110x8

DB SideBends:

85x8/85x6/85x6

**85 was sitting there in a nice empty corner, and I was lazy. So just used it instead of going heavier. At this point I just wanted to leave.

Back Extensions:

3 sets of 8

That's all folks. :)

rookiebldr
04-06-2004, 08:15 PM
w00t! Another PR! Awesome work Pete.

heathj
04-06-2004, 09:02 PM
435, damn...nice.

go eat a twinkie and reward yourself.

ElPietro
04-07-2004, 07:13 AM
I had hotdogs instead, with two kraft singles melted on each one. :cool:

On a totally sweet and insane note, I think Harnk will be able to provide most of the equipment I need for a relatively fully functional gym. He has a bench somewhere, and a decent set of dumbells, and I think some weight. Even some stands that can be used for squatting. So all I may have to order is a bit more weight, some rubber flooring, and maybe an Ivanko barbell, since the ****ty $100 bars I can get are only rated to 300lbs, which I guess would snap the first week. Think the Ivankos are 1500lbs rated with a lifetime warranty.

Anthony
04-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Damn, nice work on the squats Pete.

In regards to your math skills on bench ... last time I checked, 225 + 70 = 295. ;)

ElPietro
04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Shut up. I can only add in increments of 45 and 90, so what. :mad:

WillKuenzel
04-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Damn nice job on the squats ya weakling! :p

Relentless
04-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Shut up. I can only add in increments of 45 and 90, so what. :mad:

Pete is apparently one of the few who represent their lifts on the internet as lighter than they actually are. ;)

rookiebldr
04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
So, how'd the weekend go. Still drunk?

ElPietro
04-13-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm currently sober. Weekend went better than expected. Got on the bus at 7am friday morning, immediately started drinking. Our bus had a problem with the radiator less than an hour in, so we were stopped in hamilton, at some subway/tim horton's parking lot. So all 36 of us piled out with beer in hand and just hung out for an hour. Some of us decided to start up a game of hold em poker on a picknick table. Got a lot of funny looks from the locals as they see 6 guys with beers on the table and chips out. :p For the first 48 hours I had a total of 2 drinks that weren't beer. A milkshake from Mcdonald's on the way up, and a small glass of OJ the next morning, followed by a piece of cheesecake and same adams. :D

Took about 12 hours to get down there, and basically all that occurred was drinking. If I was hungry I'd drink guiness, if I was thirsty I'd drink Sam Adams, and if I was bloated I'd drink Miller Lite. :D Unfortunately, the piss weak american beer was not sufficient to get me properly hammered at any point. I only realized this by sunday night, so I switched to Jack & Coke, and man did I get hammered. Over the weekend we probably went to about 15 different bars, both cheers. Went to the Red Sox game on saturday and we were all quite vocal. Left early to get back to the hotel bar which is the only one we knew of that would show the leaf game, so caught the third period there.

Weather was pretty good the whole time as well. I apparently broke up a fight waiting to happen sunday night outside the club after last call. One of our more drunken scene-makers (he was running around the halls naked in a ski mask one night) called some guy fat, and then another guy he was with told him and they both came over to speak to him. I came out and our guy called me over and introduced me to these two guys, and they started acting like my best friends and hanging off me and crap. I just went along but laughed my ass off after when he told me they were about to jump him. :D I'm like the happiest friendliest drunk, so I get a kick out of people finding me that intimidating. :cool:

Ride back was eerily quiet, as most people slept off the damage and tried to rehydrate.

Anyhoo, worked out this evening, last time i trained was exactly a week ago.

ME BENCH

Rack Lockouts ~ 8 inches:

Warmup: 135x8/135x8/225x6/225x5

Lockouts:
225x1
295x3
315x3
365x0,x0 ****ing ****! :mad:
345x2 This went up via a cushion of anger and self-loathing.

*Bah, felt damned weak. Dunno if it was the combo of no training, ****ty diet, and low cals that day or what.

DB Incline Press:

70x8/100x5/100x5/90x5

**Felt weak again, last reps were all a struggle. :mad:

Standing OH DB Extensions:

90x8/90x8/90x6

***Did these instead of skulls since I was feeling lazy, drained and weak.

Seated Cable Rows:

165x8/210x6/240x6/255x5/255x5

****I THINK this is what I did. Forgot my journal and can't quite remember. Maybe did 6 reps the first set of 255, and I'm pretty sure I kept the weight the same for the second. Anyway, at least there's some god damned progress on something.

Superset (kinda): DB Lateral and Front Raise:

2 sets of 8 using 25 for laterals and 20 for front.

*****Shoulders were burning like hell.

That's it.

I am feeling somewhat mollified now that I've had a steak and artichoke. :)

JustinF
04-14-2004, 03:20 AM
I am feeling somewhat mollified now that I've had a steak and artichoke. :)

w0rd!!! Nice session Pete.

Focused70
04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Awesome squats there, dude. It's what I aspire to, anyways.

Soba

ElPietro
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Well, all the babysitters at my work are off for the week, and tonight is the leaf game, so decided to go for a proper workout in the afternoon.

ME SQUAT

I should be changing up my max lift, and since I'm not training with Harnek tonight, where I'd probably practice using wraps, I decided that it's been about a month since I deadlifted. So I deadlifted. :)

Conventional Deads:

135x5
135x5
Back Extensions: x8
225x5
315x3
315x3
365x2
405x2 Reset between reps.
435x1 Belt implemented from here on out.
455x1 :boring:
475x1 :boring::boring:
495x1 :cool:

*Well, I was pleased with this. I wasn't sure since I've only deadlifted once heavy in the past 6 months (since back injury), and that was over a month ago to boot. Everything felt nice and smooth. 495 wasn't the prettiest rep I've ever done, but there wasn't any struggle. I knew it was going up, and it did. :) I think I'll keep things here for another week, and then change things up perhaps. Or maybe I'll go a few weeks on deads and try to get things close to my old strength. Not like I'm THAT far off now it seems. Using the belt felt like someone was punching me in the gut when I went down. I won't be taking any big gulps of water before I put that sucker on again.

DB Side Bends:

90x8/90x8

Cable Crunches: (on the heavy pulley)

120x8/135x8

Back Extensions:

my fat ass x8/my fat ass +25lbs x8

Ellyptical: 10 minutes.

That was it. Woulda done more, but things went really slow since one of the guys that works at the gym was there for my whole workout talking to me, and sorta just chatted while thinking what to do. Even this small workout took about an hour and fourty-five minutes.

Oh well, at least I'll probably not embarrass myself with my deadlift come July.

Leafs.

Saturday Fever
04-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Start doing deads off pins until the plates are 10" off the ground. Then go back and pull from the floor.

Like hit a 1RM from 2" up next time. Then next time do 4" up, etc.

Then go back and pull from the floor. :nod:

ElPietro
04-14-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what I want to focus on. In the past I could generally always get things to the knees at least, but now I'm not sure if I'm weaker off the floor or not. Was debating doing it off a platform but maybe I'll do that on DE day with stiffs.

I'm not going to push things too fast anyway. Still a lot of time till the competition, so I don't want to re-injure, so taking baby steps. Although, I probably will work on pushing a bit, since the last month and a half at least I'll be learning to use my equipment.

Saturday Fever
04-14-2004, 01:17 PM
You could also do deads and load the bar with 25s or 35s instead of 45s as an alternative to standing on a platform. Just an idea. Certainly hurting yourself isn't worth it, though.

ElPietro
04-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, since I suck at good mornings, I think these will become the focus for close to a month. Since this exercise targets both of my previous injuries, they somewhat worry me though, so I've been going slow.

Relentless
04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
yeah GMs are pretty cool

once you get into the groove of doing 'em your working weight will shoot way up

heathj
04-14-2004, 04:02 PM
495, ace work man! :thumbup:

I just did my first GM's last week, they seem to target my hamstrings more than I want them too.

Saturday Fever
04-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Put some bend in your knees/add some bend to your knees. That'll move the tension to your lower back. You can also play around with your stance, varying between wider and closer until it hits the desired spot.

Maki Riddington
04-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Excellent lifts Pete.

JustinF
04-15-2004, 05:07 AM
w0rd!! Hella nice lifts!

Coke
04-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Great work ElP...you pulled them deads off quick like nothing, 495's = :thumbup:]

ElPietro
04-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Heath and SF, GMs did put a LOT of emphasis on my hamstrings as well. I even tinkered with my stance, went pretty wide, and about a quarter squat stance as far as leg/glute positioning went. Lower back was kinda fried too, but it needs the kick in the butt.

Mac Sloan thanks mang. ;)

Justina, thanks dude, I need to catch up to your bench though.

Cocoa yeah, well it was a slow road, and now I've pushed things twice since the injury. I'm hesistant to call it 100% and simply go at it aggressively again, so I think I'll do some reps and stuff and give it more time, rather than continously max out like I used to. I'm just glad that so long as I'm not stupid and push things, I should easily be at my old weak level of deadlift in time for the competition. I'm hoping I can get break the old barrier before then though.

ElPietro
04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I am going to implement as close to a daily cardio session at lunch as I can manage. I am giving myself two months to stick to a relatively strict diet, and drop weight, and if I find myself failing at that, I might as well bulk up a bit since I'll be lifting in the 125 class instead of the 110. It shouldn't be a problem since I generally can stay focused for a month or two, but who knows. I expect strength to stagnate, but I'll work on weaknesses, and learn my equipment, and hopefully I'll be well below 110 so that I can eat a bit over maintenance and get some more strength gains prior to the comp in July.

So I made it to the gym today, to do a miscellaneous workout. Was gonna do some shrugs, and some biceps stuff, biceps for asthetics and to kill time more than anything else. Started with some light DB shrugs and something tweaked in my neck/trap on the right side, so gave that up. Did 4 or 5 sets of concentration curls and 4 sets of hammer curls, with a couple sets of wrist curls and that was pretty much it.

Got on the ellyptical for 25 minutes at an ok clip, and then did a fairly lengthy session of stretching afterwards. I guess I'll try and focus a bit more on flexibility as well, can't hurt.

Probably training tonight, although I should probably give it another day before DE Bench. Meh, whatever.

Relentless
04-15-2004, 12:37 PM
you gonna go for HIIT to drop BF?

ElPietro
04-15-2004, 12:54 PM
It will probably be mostly steady state stuff, since I can keep that up, but I will probably jump on the treadmill and do some intervals as well.

Going to the gym at lunch for any reason has the added benefit of preventing me from going out and eating fast food. Going to the gym at night means I don't eat dinner until 7:30 - 8 pm, which has the added benefit of preventing me from snacking, as I'm pretty much full until I go to sleep. So combining these two together should do the trick. I will allow myself to slide somewhat on the weekend, but not too much. I'll just cut carbs down more during the week.

Relentless
04-15-2004, 01:21 PM
hm

I'm gonna start trying HIIT myself, next week

I've been reading a lot about it, and everything I've read points to it yielding superior results in terms of fat loss

I think in the past my cuts were too long and my lean mass suffered... I want to be really focused and intense for 8-12 weeks and get down into single digit territory for the summer...essentially like precontest dieting

Maki Riddington
04-15-2004, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=ElPietro]

Mac Sloan thanks mang. ;)

QUOTE]

*** Gone, but never forgotten. You brought a tear to my eye.

Saint Patrick
04-16-2004, 01:38 AM
hm

I'm gonna start trying HIIT myself, next week

I've been reading a lot about it, and everything I've read points to it yielding superior results in terms of fat loss

Yeah, and it totally kicks your ass. At least for someone like me who has low stamina.

ElPietro
04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Lunch workout.

DE Bench

Speed Bench: (3 grips)

Warmup: 135x8/135x8/225x6

Speed Sets: 8 sets of 3 @ 185 lbs. That's a 45 and 25 lb plate on each side. ;)

DB Bench Press:

70x5/100x5/100x5/100x5

CG Lat Pulldowns:

165x8/210x6/225x6/225x5/210x6

*Form = strict.

Overhead DB Extensions:

90x8/90x8/90x8

DB Lateral Raise:

35x6/35x6

DB Front Raise:

20x8/20x8

That's it.

Got to the change room, and I took off my shirt, and then as I'm taking my pants off one of the older regular members says, "god look at the size of this guy," just as my pants drop to the floor. Of course everyone looks over, and I'm like wtf, he can't be talkin about my wang, and then he's like "all that muscle," I mumbled some self-deprecating fat comment about myself and ambled into the shower. Oh well, at least I'm big apparently. :)

I am way low on calories, so debating doing DE Squat tonight or not. I gotta help Harnek with a local competition in Brantford on sunday, and have to go drinking tomorrow night. Also, might be transporting some gym equipment to my basement tomorrow afternoon.

Relentless
04-16-2004, 12:45 PM
you should have double gunned and then hit a lat spread

Saturday Fever
04-16-2004, 12:50 PM
There's no need to be doing squat work the same day as bench work. Treat yourself to a mini vacation from the gym.

And Callahan is right, you should have gone right into some poses.

ElPietro
04-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Well if I want to get a DE squat session in there is plenty of reason. Otherwise I will miss this for I believe the second week in a row. I'll probably go home anyway though, since I feel the onset of a cold or throat infection or something.

rookiebldr
04-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Doesn't seem like the old regular members think you need to cut.

Anyway, welcome to the cutting side of the house. Good luck with that.

Shane
04-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Speed Sets: 8 sets of 3 @ 185 lbs. That's a 45 and 25 lb plate on each side. ;)

Why yes...yes it is...:D

ElPietro
04-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Bleh, been sick since last friday. Felt a bit better when I forced myself out of bed and went out saturday, but then it got worse and I missed the past two days of work. I had the flu, and then since the flu must have felt lonely, it invited it's good buddy bronchitis over for fun. :( Flu is gone, but it seems I need to beat bronchitis over the head with some prednisone and biaxin before it'll leave.

In the last 3 days I've lost over 5 lbs. I'll start training again tomorrow probably.

Leafs. :)

Anthony
04-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Damn, that sucks, hope you feel better soon.

Habs. :)

Coke
04-21-2004, 07:09 AM
That is messed up and the timing is awful, you were doing great...at least you got a fast start on the cut - :D

Focused70
04-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Yesterday, I'm in my office doing my thing and some stupid first year associate comes in, bothering my officemate on her last day. 'Course he has a cold. I'm like, "Stay away from me!"

heh. Must be late winter blues or somethin'.

Anyway, feel better soon dude. Be thinkin' about ya. ;)

Soba

JustinF
04-23-2004, 05:32 AM
bohoooo :cry:

;)

Feeling better?

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I made it to the gym tonight. Flu is gone, bronchitis is hanging around as it tends to do. So breathing is hard normally, add in training and it's really tough, and I am sweating more as well. But amid the profuse sweating, and constant hacking up my lung, it felt god damned good to get back to the iron.

Just did a mish-mash workout to get my body used to things again. Didn't want to push too hard with anything.

Close Grip Incline BB Press:

115x8/135x8/205x5/205x5/205x5

*Never done these before, let alone with a close grip. Felt weak. Index finger was an inch outside the smooth. I actually moved to a medium grip the last two sets, but whatever, closer than normal.

Triceps Pushdowns:

180x8/210x8/225x8/235x6

**Well, 235 is the entire stack, plus the two little 5 lb weights you can drop down.

Good Mornings:

95x6/95x6/135x3/155x3/175x3/195x3/215x2/225x2

***Finally decided now that I've tried these twice I'd push the weight a bit. Made sure I was going deep. Most of the pain originated in the neck, since the knurling from the bar and all that weight is basically sitting fully on it when you are parallel. I wrapped a towel for the last set. I coulda kept going, but the hamstring DOMS of the next few days made me stop and think. Didn't feel much in the lower back.

Seated Cable Rows:

180x8/210x8/255x5/255x5

Shoulders:

Did a couple sets of front and lateral raises. NOt as much on the laterals as there was an odd feeling occuring in the right side when I did them.

Back Extensions:

x8/+25 x8/+25 x8

DB Hammer Curls:

3 sets of 45x6

Finished off with 15 minutes on the ellyptical and that's it.

I THINK Harnek will be bringing some lifting equipment tomorrow. Don't think he's bringing much though, so I'm probably gonna have to spend a small fortune if I want this mofo setup as I envision it.

WillKuenzel
04-23-2004, 09:10 PM
For the GM's, do you set the bar on your traps or don't you have it sitting lower? The bar rests just below my traps and above my rear delts in that nice little groove. It was bothering my neck to do them before when I was sitting the bar higher like I would for an oly squat but putting the bar lower makes things a lot easier.

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Perhaps you aren't going down far enough Homey? I read one article today that said you should do GMs with one of those bar pads because it's impossible for it not to rest on your neck. I'm still new to them but I usually keep the bar pretty far down for squats and this is what I try to do, but didn't seem to work.

Maybe I just need to warm up the shoulders a bit better first or something, or keep a tighter arch. I'll figure it out.

WillKuenzel
04-23-2004, 10:23 PM
I go roughly parallel if not a bit more. Maybe its because I have bigger traps and more flexible shoulders. ;)

ElPietro
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi **** you. :)

Bruteman
04-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Sucks about the bronchitis bro'. Nice mish/mash session none the less.

JustinF
04-26-2004, 08:39 AM
:withstupi

p***y!! ;)

WillKuenzel
04-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Did you ever get over that little cold or whatever you were complaining about? Go do some real workouts ya lazy bum. :p

ElPietro
04-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Bah. Cough is still lingering, but other than that I guess I'm ok. Diet has been crap, almost no protein, and no creatine. Felt like a zombie today and had a meeting from 8:30 till 1:30.

ME Bench:

Rack Lockouts: ~8"

Bench Warmup: 135x8/135x8/225x6

Lockouts: 225x3/315x3/335x1.5/315x2.5

*Well, felt weak, and was weak. :(

Incline DB Press:

75x8/95x5/95x5/95x5

Triceps Pushdowns:

210x8/225x8/235x6

Seated Cable Row:

180x8/210x6/255x6/255x5/225x6

Light Shoulders Superset:

Lateral: 25x8/25x8
Front: 20x8/20x8

Finished with 15 minutes on the ellyptical and that was it.

Well, phase one of home gym has started. Of all the pieces of equipment I could have, I have a ****ing standing calf raise machine now. Yes, a commercial grade standing ****ing calf raise machine. Also, have a ****ty bench that needs to have the arms cut off since they are too close, and I have a full size DB rack with DBs from 45 to 85. Might be a missing 50 though. This is what Harnek had in his shed, so we'll start from there. Still will need a rack of some kind, and a better bench, and weight of course. Oh and a good barbell. Waiting to see what else Harnek can get since he lent most of his stuff out, and then will buy whatever else is needed. Should be a pretty complete gym when all is said and done.

Must go eat pork chops now.

rookiebldr
04-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Sounds like the gym is coming along. Must have been fun moving that ****ing standing calf raise machine, though.

JustinF
04-27-2004, 06:05 AM
You still gonna keep a gym membership after your home gym is all set up?

Coke
04-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Don't let all that commercial grade/good equipment be catching too much dust, j/k - good luck with it all!

Good effort there El P....hope you are feeling better man.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 06:37 AM
Jeff, actually we just threw it in the garage. We were afraid to try and bring it downstairs with just the two of us. So don't be surprised if I call you sometime as a grunt labourer. :D

Justin, probably, I currently still have two different gym memberships. I'd probably keep the one by my work, and let the one at Monster gym run out by my old place.

Cocoa, don't worry, once I get it all setup it will be well used.

I need to figure out what kinda rack I wanna get still.

I'm debating between a simple cage like this:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92552.gif

Or a more functional rack such as this:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/4500w.jpg

There are other racks but I wanted to get one where I can set the pins pretty low for pin pulls, otherwise something like this sumo rack woulda been ideal:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92565w.gif

Relentless
04-27-2004, 06:47 AM
the stops on that top cage look awfully flimsy

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 07:09 AM
They are 1" in diameter. I don't think that's far off what they have in commercial gyms. I found a place that distributes products from New York Barbell, they are in St. Catherines. So I'll probably go there next month sometime and test the **** out of a couple of their racks to make sure it's all stable anyway. I'll just load up and do a quick shrug workout and then drop 5 plates on the pins and see what happens. :p

Anthony
04-27-2004, 07:58 AM
I'd go with the 1st style.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Explain yourself.

Relentless
04-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I think the first style is best/safest for solo workouts.

the power rack style won't help you if yuo fail backwards on a deep squat, where as the traditional cage will

it's also more flexible so you can setup for mil presses, rack lockouts, etc, etc, etc,.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Active Recovery/Cardio bunny session.

Incline Machine Press:

120x20/120x20

Triceps Pushdowns:

105x20/105x20

Ellyptical: 30 minutes.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I think the first style is best/safest for solo workouts.

the power rack style won't help you if yuo fail backwards on a deep squat, where as the traditional cage will

it's also more flexible so you can setup for mil presses, rack lockouts, etc, etc, etc,.

I'm not sure if it's safer or not safer with a rack though cal. If you fall backwards, you are going to get slammed when the bar hits the back of the rack, versus dropping the weight backwards. Also, I'm not sure how you can't setup for military press on the angled rack. It has all the same holes so you can put the bar wherever you want as you could a cage. And the safety stops at the bottom are fine for lockouts. I don't see anything you can't do in one versus the other really, other than having an actual cage, which I still don't see the benefit of.

On an excellent note, I found a store in the GTA that sells absolutely everything I need. It's fitnesssource.ca. They have 2' DB handles, texas bars, benches, racks, blah, blah, blah.

I am now debating between this for $500:

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/images/temp/150_170_WPR370.jpg

Or this simple cage is on special for $300 right now:

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/images/temp/150_170_POWER-RACK-EBSPPR178.jpg

Both are by body solid, although the first one is a bit more commercial grade than the other. I like the gun rack, as it makes adjusting levels really easy. Also, I don't like the spacing on the pin settings on the second one much. They have other racks that are very much more stable for $500 as well, so I guess I have some choice. I still haven't seen much argument for a cage over a rack yet.

Anthony
04-27-2004, 11:20 AM
I'd go with the first cage simply because it would be easier to setup bands on all 3 lifts.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
You mean for reverse band? Or just any bands? I can see how reverse bands I wouldn't be able to do as there is no top to secure from, but from below is there much diff? :confused:

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 11:42 AM
This is the heavy duty sonofabitch cage I'd get if I go that way.

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/images/temp/150_170_POWER-RACK-p_pr_250.jpg

I may decide on a cage, since I guess that is what I traditionally always use in the gym anyway, so I know I can do pretty much everything in it.

WillKuenzel
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I'd still go with the very first one you showed (**edit: or the very last one since you posted that before I could finish this one). Its got plenty of hole spacings to get things exactly how you want it and IMO is safer. On the functional rack and the gunrack looking this, those small little bottom adjustable things won't even come close to sticking out far enough to catch you should you start to fail in a lift. You'd have to risk injury to maneveur yourself forward to try and get the bar on those things. If you are working out at home by yourself you'll be screwed.

When most people fail on the squat its because their lower back can't hold all the weight and they lean forward. If it weren't the limiting factor most people could squat pretty much what they leg press. I'd be interested in seeing how you'd plan to bottom on the lift and push it off behind you.

At least with a normal power rack you have the option of setting the pins just below your parallel and if something happens not having to worry about doing this or doing that to save your back, which would be in great danger in failing then add trying to push back to dump it on the floor or worse, to have to lean forward even more to set it on those tiny pins.

Those are just somethings that I'd think about when squatting. That't not mentioning the problems with the angles of those other racks and stuff when you might start benching heavy.

Saturday Fever
04-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Definitely get that heavy duty summabitch. It's got all the goods.

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Okay, okay! I will go with that one! :D

Also, I'm thinking this is the weight I'll need:

45x10
35x2
25x4
10x20
5x8
2.5x2

I think that should be sufficient for all exercise variations and weight combos. 865 lbs it better be!

WillKuenzel
04-27-2004, 12:03 PM
How much can you shrug? What would you be doing pin pulls with? You'd only have 5 45's on each side, plus the 35's and then 2 25's on each side. That might be about as much as the bar could hold. What's that, 665? I guess that might do you initially but you'll need more than that eventually. At least I would. :p

ElPietro
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Bah.

ME Squat:

Good Mornings:

135x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
245x1
265x1
275x1
285x1

*Better. Thought I'd push these a bit more.

Leg Press:

540x8/720x6/810x6/900x6/720x6

Cable Crunch: (on heavy pulley)

115x8/120x8/135x8

DB Sidebends:

90x8/90x8/90x8

**These still kill me.

Back Extensions:

+25x8/+25x8/x8

***Back completely fried by now.

Well, once I could walk upright I left. That's it.

Time steak. :cool:

rookiebldr
04-27-2004, 09:23 PM
no problem, I'm there. If you can wait until my next bulk, I may even be able to lift a 45 to basement for ya. ;)

BTW, what's the name of the place in St. Catherines that distributes the NewYork Barbell stuff?

JustinF
04-28-2004, 06:10 AM
I agree with Will.