PDA

View Full Version : 2003: A Westside Odyssey

Pages : [1] 2

NateDogg
12-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Well, I'm bored here at work on the day after Christmas and I figure this is as good a time as any to start my Westside journal *gets fired for surfing the Internet all day*...jk. I have started doing this (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bobyoungs-sampleworkout.htm) routine by Bob Youngs. It looks like it will be a great footstep into the Westside realm for me. I love the allowance for variation within the boundaries of Westside, and I feel that this routine could do anything but get stale! I am also hoping that Westside, with it's focus on the posterior chain, will help me out with some of the back problems I have had in the fairly recent past. Although my back does feel pretty good at the moment.

I have really been leaning towards strength in lieu of size for a few months now as I am realizing that if I eat enough, the size will come. For the first time in my life I have been successful in putting on weight...not only that, it's been pretty clean weight. I'm up to ~190 and probably near 13% or 14% bf. I can see abs anyway :rolleyes: :D.

I don't have the record of my last (first Westside) workout here with me, so I'll have to update later. Even after some rough sleeping not so great eating and A LOT of driving over the last couple days, I do not feel at all fatigued, so I think it'll be Westside workout #2 tonight. ME bench press day.

Layout for this journal will probably be quite similar to my last one, as I thought that worked well. I might spice it up a bit...I'll see what I have the time and motivation for :D

Hopefully, I will soon be able to post some pics so you guys can see who the heck you've been "talking" to!

I guess that's it (unless I think of something to add later on ;) )

LATER,

NateDogg

EDIT: to add a parenthesis (yeah, I'm never anal about anything :D )

Hercule
12-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Natedogg,
Good luck man. Hope you make some great gains. I am probably going to jump on the westside boat as soon as school is out. After I see how I do in my first powerlifting competitions, I may start westside this summer to really get a huge total.

Saturday Fever
12-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Westsiiiiiiiiiiide!

MonStar
12-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Good luck with Westside ND---hope you achieve awesome results with it! :D:D

Silverback
12-26-2002, 12:44 PM
Good luck Nate, with your determination and dedication there is no reason why you cant suceed:)

Ronnie

GeneticallyGifted
12-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Mang, I feel ya about working on the day after Christmas. It flat out SUCKS!! So your moving back to Westside, huh? Are you going to modify it like Monstar or are you keeping your structure? Its not an attack on either side I am just wondering if you are doing the full blown Westide Story...

G'd Up!

Chris Rodgers
12-26-2002, 04:11 PM
SF said it best....

Westsssiiiiiidddddeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *thows up signs*

Do you know your current maxes so you have something to work with? Any thoughts of competing?

Good Luck!

NateDogg
12-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the support everyone :D

GG,
This is my first shot at Westside. I am going with Bob Youngs' routine by the book, unless I can think of, or experience an adjustment that makes it better suited to me.

Latty,
I have my max bench (215). I need to go and get at least my max squat (will be done my next ME squat/deadlift day. I'll work up to it and use that number to calculate speed sets, box squat percentages, etc. I plan on using my ME days to test my squat, deadlift and bench intermittently. I am probably going to shoot for a test of once per month or so. How does that sound?

As for thoughts of competing, none yet, but I watched a bench press contest at my gym in my hometown many years ago. I will never forget it. I saw a guy put up 525...most I had ever seen benched at that time. I was quite amazed. Competing will never be out of the question for me, but it's not a short-term goal.

Oh, btw, life intervened on my workout plans tonight. I was more fatigued than I thought I was, and had more post-Christmas stuff to do than I thought I did. No biggie though, just enjoying a cold one and looking forward to ME bench press tomorrow night. I think I am going to go with declines up to a 1RM for my ME exercise. I'll plan the rest out tomorrow before I go.

Oh yeah...here was my first Westside day...

TMan
12-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Good luck, Nate! I did the Bob Young routine for about 3 weeks, LOL! Gave it up because I felt I wasn't ready for Westside not because it was a bad routine. SF did that routine for about 9 weeks (if I recall correctly) so I know he can help you out if you need it.

NateDogg
12-26-2002, 09:29 PM
A Westside Odyssey...Day 1

General Comments
N/A

Training

ME squat/deadlift

Rack Pull
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 115 / 3
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 185 / 3
5 / 205 / 3
6 / 255 / 3
7 / 295 / 3
8 / 315 / 1
9 / 355 / miss, grip failed
10 / 355 / 1

I had never done these before. I'm not sure if it took all I had to get 355 or not. Pins were a good 2" below my knee caps. I definitely have to work on my grip...of course I was doing so with these pulls :)

Glute/Ham Raise
1 / bw / 10
2 / bw / 10
3 / +10 / 10
4 / +10 / 10

This is the first time I had ever done these as well *realizes he's going to be mentioning that a lot in the next few weeks*. lol Just getting used to the movement, but I definitely felt them in my glutes and hamstrings.

Decline Sit-Ups
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 13f
3 / bw / 10.5f
4 / bw / 12f

Awesome to get back into working my abs more. I had not been doing much as I figured I was getting plenty of ab work with squats. Though as I am looking to strengthen my "core." I have no problem doing direct ab work.

Cable Row (med-grip, palms facing in)
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 140 / 10
3 / 150 / 8f
4 / 150 / 6.5f

Used too much weight on the last couple sets. I had to cheat a bit just to get 8 on the 3rd set and really died on the 4th.

Training Recap
Two days have passed, but I still remember how dead tired I was, but how great I felt after this workout :D

Pain/Soreness
(today is 12/26)
My upper back is a bit sore from the rows. Other than that I am ready to go!

Diet
Well, when I had this workout, it was going great. It went downhill substantially over the last couple days. Nope, I didn't eat too much...I definitely did not eat enough. I guess driving 300 miles in 3 days may do that to you though. Back on track tomorrow.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
12-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by TMan
Good luck, Nate! I did the Bob Young routine for about 3 weeks, LOL! Gave it up because I felt I wasn't ready for Westside not because it was a bad routine. SF did that routine for about 9 weeks (if I recall correctly) so I know he can help you out if you need it.

Thanks TMan. I've been doing quite a low volume routine for some time now, so I welcome the change. We'll see if that welcome was warranted soon enough I'm sure. Although I do plan on staying with at least the Westside ideals for quite a while. I continue to beef up my knowledge with all of the articles on www.elitefts.com.

MonStar
12-27-2002, 02:27 AM
Nice workout ND. Good job on the rack pulls man. Dont sweat your grip, it will strengthen surprisingly fast---at least thats what happened with me.

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
Nice workout ND. Good job on the rack pulls man. Dont sweat your grip, it will strengthen surprisingly fast---at least thats what happened with me.

Thanks Mike. I guess your grip got strong quickly!!! 635...jebus!!:eek:

MonStar
12-27-2002, 11:12 AM
ND: Yeah man it did seem to strengthen fast for some reason. But dont worry, the same thing will happen with you. No worries man. I remember pulling 405 and thinking, DAMN, my grip is going to stop me from going much heavier. I even remember pulling 495 for the first time on rack pulls and thinking I couldnt go any higher because of my grip. Now I am pulling 635 for a single. Funny how things change isnt it?

Good luck with Westside man. Great program, loads of fun for me so far. What is your split going to be ND? For me its easy because I have Tues. and Thurs. as ME days, and the weekends as DE days.

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 11:19 AM
Good luck with Westside man. Great program, loads of fun for me so far. What is your split going to be ND? For me its easy because I have Tues. and Thurs. as ME days, and the weekends as DE days.

Cool...Mine will probably be similar to that, although it will most likely have at least one day of rest between each workout, as the Bob Youngs routine has no consecutive days listed.

galileo
12-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Good luck with Westside! I hope you can accomplish your goals. I may try it someday when I have access to a real gym. :)

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by galileo
Good luck with Westside! I hope you can accomplish your goals. I may try it someday when I have access to a real gym. :)

Thanks galileo! I guess I should really set some actual # goals huh? I think I'll just go with it for a few weeks, then see where I'm at and determine where I would like to be, and when. I really have to come up with some sort of "box" for box squats, but I think I can figure something out.

DK
12-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Hey ND. Good luck with Westside. I started training westside about five weeks ago. I'm using Dave Taits routine on Elitefts.com here's a link
Dave Tait's Routine (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm)

Are you using this Sample Workout by Bob Youngs (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bobyoungs-sampleworkout.htm)

I hope you enjoy it. I know I am.

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by dkliewer
Hey ND. Good luck with Westside. I started training westside about five weeks ago. I'm using Dave Taits routine on Elitefts.com here's a link

Thanks dkliewer! How has it gone for you so far? You don't have a journal around here do you? You should start one. BTW, no link, but I'll go check it out.

DK
12-27-2002, 03:57 PM
I fixed it for ya.

No I don't have an online journal. I do it the old fashioned way and write it all in a notebook. That way I can take it to the gym with me.

Chris Rodgers
12-27-2002, 04:08 PM
I fixed it for ya.

No I don't have an online journal. I do it the old fashioned way and write it all in a notebook. That way I can take it to the gym with me.

So do most of us. We put it on here to share with others. You should do the same. It's good for motivation and someone may be able to give you some tips/feedback about what you are doing.

ND- session looks good. What is your current weight? Are you looking to gain/maintain/lose weiht during Westside?

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 05:00 PM
I fixed it for ya.

Cool, I do both. Mostly because my handwriting sucks, especially when my arms are shaking. I usually update here from memory...unless I am actually able to read what I wrote at the gym :eek:

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN

So do most of us. We put it on here to share with others. You should do the same. It's good for motivation and someone may be able to give you some tips/feedback about what you are doing.

ND- session looks good. What is your current weight? Are you looking to gain/maintain/lose weiht during Westside?

I really should read all the posts before I reply :D Yeah, I also update here to be able to share, get positive and negative feedback, etc...

Thanks Latty, honestly I really don't care about my weight. I am going to eat like I have been eating to get up to 190 (current weight) from 170-175, so I'll probably gain, or maintain.

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 07:58 PM
A Westside Odyssey...Day 2

General Comments
A couple notes before I start rambling:
1. The "Day" in red at the top only counts days I train.
2. :eek: = Personal Best (just like last journal).

Ok, on with it!
Work day today went by slow as all hell. I thought we may be let out early, not the case. Of course that seemed to slow time to a halt near the end of the day :rolleyes:. I got through it though :D. Got a pretty sweet holiday card in the mail today from my Gold's Gym. Everyone else at a Gold's will probably get it too, or has already gotten it. Cool card though I thought. It'll go up on the wall of my cube. Probably near the "Toon of the Week" about tuna getting you promoted I printed out a while back, lol.

Training

ME Bench Press

Close-Grip (index right on border of smooth) Decline Press
1 / 45 / 25
2 / 115 / 3
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 155 / 3
5 / 185 / 3
6 / 205 / 3 :eek:
7 / 215 / 3 :eek:
8 / 225 / 1 :eek:
9 / 235 / 1 :eek:
10 / 250 / 1 :eek:
11 / 260 / 1 :eek:

Wow, strength came out of nowhere on these! I really did not want to do 11 sets, but I just kept putting up the weight, into territory I've never been into before.

Skull-Crushers
1 / 65 / 10
2 / 75 / 6
3 / 80 / 4
4 / 85 / 3

I let the old elbows flare out a bit on these. I actually think it works them better that way!

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 65 / 9
3 / 70 / 7f

Yup, tri's were hurting at this point. I kept all assistance work to 1 minute or so rest periods.

Lat Raise
1 / 17.5 / 12
2 / 20 / 10
3 / 25 / 8 (cheated on two of these)

Definitely should have gone to 22.5 on the last set.

Chest Supported Row
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 80 / 8
3 / 80 / 8
4 / 85 / 7

I put my sweatshirt down to try to keep the pressure off my chest. It worked for the most part. I'm also trying to press my stomach out against the pad and keep my abs tight to keep some pressure off my chest. I really like this machine.

EZ-Curls
1 / 55 / 20
2 / 75 / 6f

Dead tired at this point.

Training Recap
Wow, that was a great workout. I really kicked my own ass. I think it lasted about 75 minutes. It felt like longer, lol.

Pain/Soreness
Shoulder joints hurt a bit. I'm going to ice them in a bit. I'm also going to add in some rotator cuff work. I definitely need it.
No soreness to speak of.

Diet
Definitely back on track with eating today. I also just went food shopping to ensure that I stay that way.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
12-27-2002, 10:00 PM
DAMN!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Crazy CG decline strength ND, keep it up man. I am friggin' impressed as hell. I couldnt be anymore impressed to be honest. Nice work!

NateDogg
12-27-2002, 10:05 PM
DAMN!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Crazy CG decline strength ND, keep it up man. I am friggin' impressed as hell. I couldnt be anymore impressed to be honest. Nice work!

Thanks Mike :D. I was pleasantly surprised to get up that "high."

Chris Rodgers
12-28-2002, 09:34 AM
That's a damn impresse decline. My decline is very close to my flat bench.

NateDogg
12-28-2002, 12:21 PM
That's a damn impresse decline. My decline is very close to my flat bench.

Thanks Latty, it's great to have someone of your Westside knowledge and experience checkin' out my lowly journal ;)

I really could not believe it when the weight just kept going up and I was still getting it up. I didn't even struggle at all until 250. Next time I can hopefully get to my max before hitting 11 freakin's sets though :rolleyes:

NateDogg
12-29-2002, 02:06 PM
A Westside Odyssey...Day 3

General Comments
Just chillin' out watching the Pats game. I really hope they win, or else all the football for the rest of the day (the Jets game in particular) will be much less interesting. It's not lookin' good so far, but it's not over yet I guess. Nicole and I went and saw Two Towers last night. I really liked it. Not as much as the first one though.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (perfectly parallel)
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 95 / 12
3 / 115 / 10
4 / 115 / 10
5 / 135 / 2
6 / 135 / 2
7 / 135 / 2
8 / 135 / 2 (missed the second rep the first try here)
9 / 115 / 2
10 / 115 / 2

This is the first time I had ever done these. Stupid me was doing sets of 10-12 until I looked closer at my logbook and realized I was supposed to be doing doubles. No wonder my speed was really lacking on the last few reps of the high rep sets. My speed was much better when I just did 2 reps. I find it hard to release my hip flexors at the bottom. It's definitely something I have to get used to, as even when I am just sitting down normally, they are usually tightened a little for posture! I used a Reebok step with 5 of the support things under it (5 on each side, 10 total) this brought me to perfectly parallel. I was quite happy that it worked out that way. Now I have an adjustable box to use as I can add, or remove supports as needed.

Pull Throughs
1 / 40 / 12
2 / 70 / 12
3 / 90 / 10
4 / 110 / 10

This is the first time I had ever done these as well. I love them! Really felt it a lot in my hams, glutes and low back. I definitely could have used more weight. I chose not to as I was just working on the movement for now. Although it's not all that complex :D

Swiss-ball crunches
1 / bw / 18
2 / +10 / 12 (weight on chest)
3 / +10 / 8 (weight on top of head)
4 / +10 / 6 (weight on top of head)

These really killed me. I feel I have relatively strong Abs, but these were still tough.

Neck Work

Just did a couple sets of putting pressure on alternate sides of my head, then front and back and pushing against it with my neck muscles.

Training Recap
Another great Westside workout for me. I am really enjoying the new exercises I am being introduced to. I'm getting some pretty weird looks at the gym, lol.

Pain/Soreness
Shoulder feels better, it's my left one that's bothering me a bit. It should be ready to go tomorrow, or the next day. I'm not sure if I am going to do DE bench day tomorrow or Tuesday. Tri's are still a little sore, and chest is a little sore as well. I think I may have just answered my own question. It looks like Tuesday for my DE bench session.

Diet
About to go and have some chicken and a whole wheat bagel (these buggers have 10 grams of fiber and are AWESOME) Thomas' if anyone wants to check them out. Anyway, been eating well the last couple days. Except for the majority of a large Hawaiian pizza last night tuttut :D
LATER,

NateDogg

Adam
12-29-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm getting some pretty weird looks at the gym, lol.

Just wait till you do zerchers:eek:

NateDogg
12-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Adam MacKinnon

Just wait till you do zerchers:eek:

Lol, I can only imagine.

MonStar
12-30-2002, 02:07 AM
Awesome new avatar ND, and awesome workout today. I did box squats today for the first time too. Good exercise huh? Really makes me go down to the EXACT depth that I am supposed to be going down. Actually probably 4-6" less than what is parallel to be honest. Explosion off the box today for me was excellent.

NateDogg
12-30-2002, 06:28 AM
Awesome new avatar ND, and awesome workout today. I did box squats today for the first time too. Good exercise huh? Really makes me go down to the EXACT depth that I am supposed to be going down. Actually probably 4-6" less than what is parallel to be honest. Explosion off the box today for me was excellent.

Thanks Mike, the Pats won yesterday, but they're still out of it. So He-Man it is!

I love box squats!

Saturday Fever
12-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Wait until you have 5 boards on your chest and minis doubled on the bar for weird looks to become excessive. People have gone so far as to walk over and ask what the hell is going on. I try to explain it to them and they act like I'm an idiot. Finally I invited a guy to get under the bar and try it. Now I've seen this guy bench 275 in the past, but off 5 boards with doubled minis he was having a helluva time getting 205 to lockout. Now whenever he sees us doing "weird" stuff he's much nicer about asking what's up.

Honestly though, we lift for ourselves, it's cool to help people and the looks are amusing, but you'll be the guy looking at them funny when you weigh 80 pounds less and put up 140 pounds more. :)

Paul Stagg
12-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Westside is definately a way to make new friends at the gym.

NateDogg
12-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
Wait until you have 5 boards on your chest and minis doubled on the bar for weird looks to become excessive. People have gone so far as to walk over and ask what the hell is going on. I try to explain it to them and they act like I'm an idiot. Finally I invited a guy to get under the bar and try it. Now I've seen this guy bench 275 in the past, but off 5 boards with doubled minis he was having a helluva time getting 205 to lockout. Now whenever he sees us doing "weird" stuff he's much nicer about asking what's up.

***Yeah, hopefully I'll be pushing some decent weight soon enough and people will be inquisitive rather than ignorantly point and laugh from the other side of the gym (not that I would care, nor has it happened yet).

Honestly though, we lift for ourselves, it's cool to help people and the looks are amusing, but you'll be the guy looking at them funny when you weigh 80 pounds less and put up 140 pounds more. :)

***So true, I experienced it yesterday in fact. There was a guy that looked to weigh a good 20 or 30 lbs more than me (although I weigh MUCH more than I look like with clothes on) "squatting" in the rack next to where I was doing box squats. I had my 125 or whatever on there, and was doing them quickly with good form. I could see the guy lookin' over at me with this stupid look on his face. He loaded his bar up to 135, did a few decent squats, not quite to parallel, but close. He then put on 185, rolled one pant leg up (WTF? :confused: ) and did a few reps that were about 5" or so from being at parallel. He finished up with 245 (and the other pant leg up...LMAO) and did a few 1/2 squats and was STRUGGLING! Now I'm no squat king...yet, but I can do a few reps, below parallel, with 20lbs more than that or so. Oh brother :rolleyes:

NateDogg
12-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Well, I just called my gym and they close at 5:00 tonight :cry: . The stock exchange is open regular hours today, which usually means that even though tomorrow is a holiday, we are going to be staying here at work until 5:00 tonight :cry: :cry: . I was really looking forward to my first speed bench session today. I'm going to stay up and ready for it just in case we do get out early, but it looks as though it's going to be tomorrow. I really can't wait until all this holiday stuff is over so I can get into a groove with my training.

*Sounding newbish*

Westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide! :D

DK
12-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Is your gym open New Year's Day? Mine closes at five tonight then reopens Friday.

NateDogg
12-31-2002, 11:27 AM
Is your gym open New Year's Day? Mine closes at five tonight then reopens Friday.

I think it's open in the morning? I know it's open at least part of the day, so I'll definitely get my speed bench session in tomorrow.

NateDogg
12-31-2002, 12:54 PM
I was just told that we can leave at 3:30 today...:swear: If I bust ass home, I can get home by 3:50 or so. Then get to the gym by 4:00...maybe. After a quick warmup that leaves less than an hour for my speed bench workout. I think rather than rush it and get all pi$$ed off, I am just going to do some HIIT on my trainer at home (road bike attached to a "fluid" trainer and call it a day. I'll just have to suck it up and lift tomorrow I guess.

NateDogg
12-31-2002, 03:53 PM
I just finished my HIIT session. 25 minutes, of jump roping (decided I didn't feel like gettin' on the bike). 15 seconds on 45 seconds rest. That was quite a bit tougher than I thought it was going to be. I also had to keep watch out so I didn't whack either of my cats as they were quite interested in the rope I was swinging around. I really like this form of "cardio." It really went by quickly and I enjoy going hard for a short time, then getting to rest.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-01-2003, 12:06 PM
January 1, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 4

General Comments

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Had a really quiet, but really great night last night. Nicole and I went over to one of our couple friends' houses, had a few beers and watched the ball drop with Dick Clark. I can't believe that guy's in his 80's :confused: Anyway, I wanted to make sure I kept the beer drinking to a minimum (as far as I was concerned) so I could have a nice and productive workout today...I did :D

Training

Speed Bench

Speed Bench Press
1 / 45 / 25
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 120 / 3
4 / 120 / 3
5 / 135 / 3
6 / 135 / 3
7 / 135 / 3
8 / 135 / 3
9 / 150 / 3
10 / 150 / 3

This is the first time I had ever done these. I really had trouble with these. Not speed, that was fine, although I need to have someone there to time me next time so I can know for sure. What I had trouble with was control. The bar was all over the place. This is just something I will have to work on. It really prevented me from being explosive because I was trying to keep the bar in a somewhat straight line.

JM Press
1 / 65 / 11
2 / 95 / 10
3 / 95 / 7
4 / 95 / 7

This is the first time I had ever done these as well. I really liked them. I need to go seek out a video of someone doing them correctly so I can be sure I was doing them right. I found a description PowermanDL had put up on this site somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I was doing them right, but I need video to be sure. I'll go and look for it, but if someone wants to point me in the right direction (might it be at exrx?) I'd appreciate it.

Rope Tricep Push-Downs
1 / 40 / 10
2 / 45 / 10
3 / 55 / 7
4 / 55 / 6.5f

These were really killers, especially after the JM presses.

Plate Raises
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 35 / 10
3 / 35 / 10
4 / 45 / 10

These went well. Not enough weight, but I kept each rep up there and really got the most I could out of it. It looks like I'll have to use cables or dumbbells for these in the future though.
DB Row
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 75 / 9
3 / 75 / 7L 8R

I was getting really exhausted at this point and had to cheat a little on the last reps of the last couple sets :rolleyes:

Training Recap
Lol, just as I expected the "out-of-shape" population of my gym probably was nearly double what it usually is. A multitude of people there had no idea what they were doing. I'm not one to correct people on stuff, so I just kept to myself. I guess more power to them and I hope they are still there in 2 months.
All around good workout. VERY tiring. I have to get used to this higher volume stuff :D

Pain/Soreness
My shoulders were fine today. I did some rotator cuff work to help warmup and that definitely made a difference. My back feels...eh...I'm going to spend a good amount of time stretching this afternoon. In addition to my sacroiliac dysfunction, I also have problems with my sciatic nerve when I don't stretch it out regularly...I'm such a mess, jk.

Diet
Except for the beer last night I have been eating very well. *goes and eats*

LATER,

NateDogg

Adam
01-01-2003, 01:57 PM
It takes a while to gain control over the bar on speed days. I'm pretty much learning how to again because i pull the bar down now to my chest to make me more explosive.

NateDogg
01-01-2003, 02:28 PM
It takes a while to gain control over the bar on speed days. I'm pretty much learning how to again because i pull the bar down now to my chest to make me more explosive.

In other words, when you get to the top of the movement, rather that letting gravity take the bar down, you pull it towards youself? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. That is exactly what I was doing today.

MonStar
01-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Good session ND---speed work looks solid. Keep up the hard work man. Westside seems to be a great program if you ask me. So far I really like it.

NateDogg
01-02-2003, 07:17 AM
Good session ND---speed work looks solid. Keep up the hard work man. Westside seems to be a great program if you ask me. So far I really like it.

Thanks Mike. I'm really enjoying it so far too!

Adam
01-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Yup, i pull the bar down as hard as i can near the lockout and push it up from ~1" above my chest. I've foudn this to be by far the best way to do my speed work.

NateDogg
01-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Yup, i pull the bar down as hard as i can near the lockout and push it up from ~1" above my chest. I've foudn this to be by far the best way to do my speed work.

Ok thanks, I'll continue to do them like that.

NateDogg
01-04-2003, 01:44 PM
January 3, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 5

General Comments
Nice night last night with Nicole. After both of us getting home in a relatively huge snow storm (we got a foot or so of snow), we went to the gym had a good workout, went food shopping :D, then rented "Queen of the Damned". I was disappointed in the movie, but it was still a great night. :D

I'm excited for football tonight, even though my Pats are not in it. :cry:

Training

ME sq/dl
***Note, I did not have my 1rm squat to work with, so I found it in this workout

Full Squat
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 225 / 3
6 / 245 / 1 belted
7 / 265 / 1 belted
8 / 275 / 1 belted
9 / 280 / miss belted

I was pretty disappointed with this max squat, but at least I now have something to work with. I definitely have to work on my hip flexor and hamstring flexibility.

Glute/Ham Raise, on bench, feet held down
1 / bw / 10
2 / bw / 10
3 / bw / 10
4 / bw / 10

I really did not like doing the glute/ham raise on the machine at the gym. I'm also not sure it is a glute/ham raise machine. Upon further review I think it's just a hyperextension. Oh well. All I could really do was negatives, push up until my hams took over, then finish the rep with my hams and glutes. These are freakin' impossible to do!

Hanging Knee Raise
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 12
3 / bw / 11
4 / bw / 10

These were supposed to be leg raises, but I found I was not strong enough to get into the desired rep range with leg raises, so they became knee raises.

Med-Grip Cable Pull-Downs
1 / 105 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 150 / 8

I had not done pull-downs in some time. Really felt them in my lats well.

Training Recap
Good workout overalll. Again, I was not happy with the squats, but it is what it is and hopefully I will be able to increase it as time goes by.

Pain/Soreness
Triceps still a little sore. Back and hams are a little sore as well (it is now the 4th of January.

Diet
Ate well yesterday, eating well again today. i'm having a steak and a whole wheat bagel right now.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Good work on squats man. 275 for a max squat is nothing to be ashamed of man, trust me. Impressive if anything. Keep up the hard work man. Looking forward to you squatting 315 in no time.

NateDogg
01-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Good work on squats man. 275 for a max squat is nothing to be ashamed of man, trust me. Impressive if anything. Keep up the hard work man. Looking forward to you squatting 315 in no time.

Thanks Mike...me too :D

Saturday Fever
01-04-2003, 06:07 PM
The hardest part of squatting with your posterior is truly doing it right. It's always a work in progress. As you get used to it more, you'll be happily surprised. A powerlifting squat is really just a partial ROM of a sumo dead if you think about it. So imagine what your squat will do when you get the lift down? Good work Nate.

NateDogg
01-04-2003, 07:57 PM
The hardest part of squatting with your posterior is truly doing it right. It's always a work in progress. As you get used to it more, you'll be happily surprised. A powerlifting squat is really just a partial ROM of a sumo dead if you think about it. So imagine what your squat will do when you get the lift down? Good work Nate.

Good points SF, thanks for stopping by. :D

NateDogg
01-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Well, unfortunately, I did not make it to the gym last night, as was planned, due to extenuating circumstances. $hit! I'll be there tonight and probably go tomorrow too, to try and catch up.

NateDogg
01-08-2003, 07:07 PM
January 7, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 6

General Comments
Couple of workouts to log today (1/8/03). Work has gone by so quickly the last couple days it's amazing. I am working with new people, training some, learning from others. It has really been off the wall busy lately, but in a good way. Not the same old stuff. Pretty pissed about the Giants game, although not a Giants fan, it's tough to see a team lose that way. Hell, I even stood up and yelled pass-interference at the TV when the play was going on. I was sure one of the 3 flags was for pass interference, but either none were, or the refs huddled and changed their minds after the fact. We'll probably never know. Some great football last weekend though, and I'm sure there is more to come this weekend! Anyway...on with it!!!

Training

ME bench press

Close-Grip (index right on border of smooth) Incline Press
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 115 / 5
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 155 / 3
5 / 170 / 1
6 / 175 / 1

Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms :( Just something I have to battle!

JM Press
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 115 / 8
3 / 120 / 6
4 / 125 / 3

Starting to be able to use a little more weight on these. My lower left arm, not wrist, was bothering me a bit though, not sure what that was all about.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 75 / 5.5f
3 / 65 / 7.5f

Ouch...very short rest periods here.

Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 25 / 10
3 / 30 / 7 (cheated on 1 of these)

Excellent sets.

DB Row
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 80 / 8
3 / 55 / 12

I was very happy with these, really felt them great in my lats, very little arm.

DB Curls
1 / 15 / 20
2 / 30 / 8

Ready to fall down and fall asleep by the time these were done.

Training Recap
Another great, and exhausting workout. I've been sleeping very well lately :D
Pain/Soreness
N/A

Diet
Going great.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-08-2003, 07:31 PM
January 8, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 7

General Comments
N/A

Training

DE squat/deadlift

1 / 95 / 2
2 / 115 / 2
3 / 115 / 2
4 / 115 / 3
5 / 115 / 2
6 / 135 / 3
7 / 135 / 2
8 / 155 / 2
9 / 155 / 2
10 / 175 / 2

It is strange, but I am slow off the box even without weight, but I do not seem to lose any speed as weight is added. Even 175 felt the same as 95.

Straight Leg Deadlift
1 / 115 / 12
2 / 135 / 8
3 / 185 / 9
4 / 185 / 10

Crunches
1 / 20
2 / 12
3 / 10
4 / 6

Definitely less than 30 seconds rest between each set...ouch.

Donkey Raise
1 / 180 / 10
2 / 180 / 7

Wanted to throw in some calf work as I don't feel they get enough during the "normal" Westside stuff.

Neck Work

Just did a couple sets of putting pressure on alternate sides of my head, then front and back and pushing against it with my neck muscles.

Training Recap
Good workout, happy with it overall. I just really need to increase my bar speed on box squats.

Pain/Soreness
N/A

Diet

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-08-2003, 07:36 PM
ND: Great CG bench and box squat strength man. Really looking good---seriously. Keep up the hard work. I dont know how you feel at this point but Westside is a HELL of a lotta fun if you ask me. Easily the most enjoyable program I have ever trained with. I love changing things up, and I really enjoy partial movements for some reason. No exercise is a 'no no' with Westside. I am hoping for a 500 lbs. deadlift next Thursday. Damn thats gonna be friggin' insane if I get it.

Keep up the hard work man.

NateDogg
01-09-2003, 06:32 AM
ND: Great CG bench and box squat strength man. Really looking good---seriously. Keep up the hard work. I dont know how you feel at this point but Westside is a HELL of a lotta fun if you ask me. Easily the most enjoyable program I have ever trained with. I love changing things up, and I really enjoy partial movements for some reason. No exercise is a 'no no' with Westside. I am hoping for a 500 lbs. deadlift next Thursday. Damn thats gonna be friggin' insane if I get it.

Keep up the hard work man.

Thanks Mike. This is definitely exactly what I thought it was going to be, so far (it's been only 5 workouts though, lol). Very enjoyable.

Good luck on 500 lbs!

bradley
01-09-2003, 10:57 AM
"Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms Just something I have to battle!"

I know how you feel, seems like you have to push the weight forever. I enjoy reading the journal even though I am unsure what some of the exercises are. From what I see you are making nice progress.

NateDogg
01-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by bradley
"Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms Just something I have to battle!"

I know how you feel, seems like you have to push the weight forever. I enjoy reading the journal even though I am unsure what some of the exercises are. From what I see you are making nice progress.

Thanks Bradley. Most of the exercises, if you're interested, can probably be found in the "Ask Dave" exercise index section of www.elitefts.com. Great site with a ton of great Westside info.

NateDogg
01-11-2003, 12:35 PM
January 11, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 8

General Comments
Almost on the third page...dammit :D Well, between work and Westside I am exhausted. I am really looking forward to a nap this afternoon followed by hours of football watching :D Work has just been so hectic, that the days go by quickly. I am lucky too, because I am sleeping very well lately, but still, if I wasn't so busy at work I would be struggling to stay awake. No worries though a nap here and there really helps.

Training

Speed Bench

Speed Bench Press
1 / 45 / 25
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 115 / 3
4 / 135 / 3
5 / 135 / 3
6 / 150 / 3
7 / 150 / 3
8 / 155 / 3
9 / 160 / 3
10 / 160 / 3

I had warmed up my rotator cuffs prior to starting out on these. I felt much more comfortable after that and will continue to do some relatively light rotator cuff stuff on bench days. I had someone there to time me today so that was great. All but a couple sets were kept at or below 3 seconds. I was very happy. 4 seconds was the highest, but I did get 160 in three seconds so I feel I made progress there.

DB Overhead Press
1 / 55 / 10
2 / 60 / 9
3 / 70 / 6
4 / 65 / 7

Got the weight up too high on the last couple sets and got way too close to total failure. Not what I want to do when I am doing 10-15 triceps sets per week.

Tricep Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 55 / 10

That's better. Within my desired rep range of 8-10 and no failure.

DB Front Raise
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 25 / 10
3 / 22.5 / 10
4 / 22.5 / 10

25 was a little too much and I cheated on the last couple reps with it. Dropped the weight down to 22.5 and I was fine.

Lat Pull-Down Med-Grip, plams in
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 150 / 8
3 / 140 / 7
4 / 130 / 10

Great sets, really felt it in my lats well.

BB Curl
1 / 60 / 15
2 / 60 / 7

The compulsory biceps sets. F'n hurt though!!!!

Training Recap
Great workout. I think it lasted about an hour and a half, which is fine. I really felt great after the rotator cuff stuff. I had been having some shoulder, not pain, but funny feelings after benching, no problems today though.

Pain/Soreness
Man, my hams and calves are still sore from ME sq/dl day!!!

Diet
I have been eating PERFECTLY for over a week now. I did have a beer last night, and loved it :D Of course one beer a week or so is not going to kill me.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Non-Training Day Update

Two things I know.

1. My shoulders hurt! I hope they are recuperated by Thursday at the latest so that I can have a quality ME bench session.

2. I will undoubtedly be taking a well deserved week off after this 9 week (36 workout) cycle.

MonStar
01-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Nice speed session ND! Really like the workout, good job. Hey man how often are you going to be testing your 1RM on bench/squat/deadlift?

NateDogg
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Nice speed session ND! Really like the workout, good job. Hey man how often are you going to be testing your 1RM on bench/squat/deadlift?

I'm planning on attempting to max out near the end of each month. So twice, maybe three times, by the time the 9 weeks is over.

MonStar
01-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Sounds good ND. :thumbup::thumbup:

I am doing something very very similar. I might actually do that because that sounds really good if you ask me. Testing your maxes a certain time each month. I am basically going through 4 weeks of ME lifts and on the 5th week testing my maxes. So around once a month or so.

NateDogg
01-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Sounds good ND. :thumbup::thumbup:

I am doing something very very similar. I might actually do that because that sounds really good if you ask me. Testing your maxes a certain time each month. I am basically going through 4 weeks of ME lifts and on the 5th week testing my maxes. So around once a month or so.

Yeah, it should workout well. Get it...lol...nevermind. It just seems like a logical time to do them.

Me tired...

Me go bed...

Saturday Fever
01-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Don't test them until the 9 weeks is up. It will keep it suspenseful which will motivate you to work harder every time in. Plus, by the time you DO test, you're so ready for it that the excitement level aids your workout. Or so it went for me when I started Westside.

galileo
01-13-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg

Two things I know.
1. My shoulders hurt! I hope they are recuperated by Thursday at the latest so that I can have a quality ME bench session.
2. I will undoubtedly be taking a well deserved week off after this 9 week (36 workout) cycle.

Two things I know.
1. I can now bench 400lbs.
2. I lie about my bench press strength.

Time to eat a Detour bar!

NateDogg
01-13-2003, 06:54 AM

Two things I know.
1. I can now bench 400lbs.
2. I lie about my bench press strength.

Time to eat a Detour bar!

Lol, I have so much trouble stopping myself from eating more than one a day. I'm trying to spread them out though.

NateDogg
01-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Don't test them until the 9 weeks is up. It will keep it suspenseful which will motivate you to work harder every time in. Plus, by the time you DO test, you're so ready for it that the excitement level aids your workout. Or so it went for me when I started Westside.

That is a thought, but since I have never really done any sort of routine geared towards increasing my maxes, I would be excited to find out what they are NOW! Let alone waiting a few months.

NateDogg
01-13-2003, 07:00 PM
January 13, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 9

General Comments
Ok, so we got to the gym tonight right. Almost every machine, bar, bench, rack was being used...literally. New year at the gym sucks! Anyway, we chilled for 10 minutes or so, then got to it. I want to note that Nicole got 170 for a single on sumo deads. I was very impressed. BTW, she's 5' 0" and weighs around 110.

Training

ME sq/dl

Sumo Deads
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 225 / 3
6 / 250 / 3
7 / 275 / 3
8 / 300 / 1
9 / 315 / 1
10 / 335 / 1 :eek:

This I was happy with. This is the first time I had done these, and actually the first time I had deadlifted any sort of "heavy" weight for some time.

Pull-Throughs
1 / 80 / 12
2 / 110 / 12
3 / 120/ 12
4 / 160/ 12

Ouch. Felt great though.

Decline Sit-Up
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)
3 / bw+15 / 8 (weight behind neck)
4 / bw / 12
5 / bw / 10

Ouch again. My lower back was really struggling with these near the bottom.

Chest Supported Row
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 80 / 10
3 / 95 / 8
4 / 90 / 8

I really like this machine. Putting a pad near the bottom of my chest seems to help a lot too. Otherwise I get TONS of pressure and pain in my chest.

Training Recap
Another great Westside workout. It's really amazing. I love to lift, but with this routine, I can't wait to get to the gym again, and I love trying to figure out what exercises I want to fit in the next time I go.

Pain/Soreness
Triceps still a little sore. That's it :D

Diet
Well, I'm out of Detour bars...have to go get some more. I did however make some homemade bars. Combined honey, natty PB, whey (chocolate) and oatmeal. Makes really amazing tasting, I'mnottryingtocutsoIdon'tcarehowmanycaloriesbutit'salot bars. I go the recipe through a search over at Elite. I can post it if anyone is interested.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Awesome pull ND!! 335 is friggin' great. Sumos are great arent they? Gotta love 'em.

Chris Rodgers
01-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Nice pull. The first time I did sumos after starting Westside I pulled a huge PR.

And congrats to your girfriend too(if that's who that is). She is very close in strength on those to my girlfriend and my sister and they are both a little bigger than her. They also have an excellent coach. :nod:

NateDogg
01-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Awesome pull ND!! 335 is friggin' great. Sumos are great arent they? Gotta love 'em.
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I really love the reduced range of motion on Sumo. ;)

NateDogg
01-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Nice pull. The first time I did sumos after starting Westside I pulled a huge PR.

***Thanks Latty, I think I may have had more, but didn't want to hurt myself after the first 10 sets, lol.

And congrats to your girfriend too(if that's who that is). She is very close in strength on those to my girlfriend and my sister and they are both a little bigger than her. They also have an excellent coach. :nod:

***Yup, that's my girl. She's definitely a strong chick :D She'll be very happy to hear your congrats. She reads my journal periodically. I'm trying to get her to sign up and start one. We'll see.

NateDogg
01-15-2003, 07:00 PM
January 15, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 10

General Comments
Well, work has slowed to the point where I am helping out with other clients! Nice though, as I can find stuff to do when I need something.

Training

ME bench press

Close-Grip (index right on border of smooth) 2 board press
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 95 / 7
3 / 115 / 7
4 / 135 / 3
5 / 155 / 3
6 / 175 / 3
7 / 195 / 3
8 / 215 / 3
9 / 225 / 1
10 / 240 / miss
11 / 235 / 1 w/a little :help:

First time doing these. I was going to just use a wrapped up towel, but I found a couple 2X4's laying around the apartment so I duct taped them together...more weird stares at the gym...lol

JM Press
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 105 / 6.5f
3 / 105 / 6
4 / 115 / 3

Lower arm still bothering me on these. I am experimenting with different hand widths to try to alleviate.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 65 / 6
3 / 60 / 6

Lat Raise
1 / 17.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 8
3 / 20 / 10

Excellent sets.

Med-Grip, Palms-In Cable Row
1 / 90 / 10
2 / 120 / 10
3 / 135 / 6
4 / 115 / 8
5 / 105 / 8

Great sets here as well.

BB Curls
1 / 50 / 20
2 / 70 / 8

These curls really finished the day off well. Had to dig pretty deep to get the last couple on the last set.

Training Recap
I was very happy with this workout. Not happy with my board presses, missing 235. I don't think I rested enough between the miss and the for-all-intents-and-purposes miss.

Couple questions I have:

1. Do you other Westside folks worry about how much weight you are using, and whether or not it's increasing in your assistance work? I would guess not, but just wanted to ask anyway.

2. I did a 2 board press today, but I think my weakness may actually be even lower than that. Does anyone do 1 board presses???

Thanks in advance guys :D

Pain/Soreness
My back is a little sore. I'm going to go stretch it out in a bit. Other than that I am feelin' fine!!

Diet
I did not eat enough today. The chicken defrosting in the microwave, as it prepares for our Foreman, says that won't be a problem tomorrow :D

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-18-2003, 11:08 AM
January 18, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 11

General Comments
*Digs journal out of second page*

Man there are a lot of journals that people are actually keeping up right now! Go everyone! Lol a little because the journals section at WBB is about as crowded as my gym is these days. The gym won't stay that way. Here's to hoping the journals section at WBB does :thumbup:

Anyway...it is freakin' cold here today. I seriously love it though. I could deal without near freezing temps. That's boring cold. I love it when it gets down near and below zero (farenheit) that gets more interesting. Unfortunately it was too cold for my Jeeps's soft top back window yesterday morning. I whacked it to get some light snow off, and I whacked right through the thing. They are very brittle in the bitter cold. I was definitely not thinking. It's getting to be about time for a new vehicle anyway though. I just paid off my Jeep this month, so I have a little more disposable income. I've got my eye on the Jeep Liberty though. Exellent vehicle, IMO, and living in New England, I would have to almost be given a non-4wd vehicle for free before I would agree to drive one.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

1 / 45 / 2
2 / 95 / 2
3 / 95 / 2
4 / 105 / 3
5 / 115 / 2
6 / 135 / 3
7 / 135 / 2
8 / 150 / 2
9 / 160 / 2
10 / 185 / 2

I am getting better at these. Quicker off the box.

Glute?Ham Raise on a Swiss-Ball
1 / bw / 6
2 / bw / 2.5
3 / bw / 6
4 / bw / 5
5 / bw / 5

These are freakin' impossible! The position of the ball makes a HUGE difference. I also don't think the ball was inflated enough. I feel that when I get to the point where I can do 5 sets of 10 of these with just my bw, I am going to have very :strong: hamstrings. Would anyone have any video of someone doing these?

Weighted Crunches on a Swiss-Ball
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw+10 / 8
3 / bw+5 / 8
4 / bw / 10
5 / bw / 10

Owey.

Donkey Raise
1 / 180 / 10
2 / 260 / 4
3 / 200 / 3
4 / 140 / 4
5 / 100 / 6

Wanted to throw in some calf work as I don't feel they get enough during the "normal" Westside stuff. Last 4 sets done as a drop-set.

Neck Work

Training Recap
Good workout. I don't think I am going to be able to walk tomorrow after those glute/hams. Holy $hit did those hurt. I'm really glad I figured out a good way to do them though. I wedged my feet under the standing platform at the back of an incline bench. It worked perfectly.

Pain/Soreness
Shoulders hurt. I'm taking ibuprofen. This has happened a couple times since starting Westside, but the pain always goes away completely after a few days.

Diet
Eating well...not quite enough, but well. I'm taking the little woman food shopping with me (she doesn't know it yet) today so we can stock up.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Good job off the box ND---I am leaving in a few minutes for me DE squat/DL session. Nice work.

NateDogg
01-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Good job off the box ND---I am leaving in a few minutes for me DE squat/DL session. Nice work.

Thanks Mike, hope your session went well. :D

NateDogg
01-19-2003, 08:43 AM
January 19, 2003

"Non-Training Day" Update

My shoulders feel much better today. I just worked them out a little bit as I did 20 minutes HIIT with a jump rope. Just got the blood flowing a bit. I should be ready to go for DE bench tomorrow. I think I'm going to try Powerman's Smith Machine bench idea. It's going to be quite a mental block to get over to allow myself to let go of the bar though. :eek:

Chris Rodgers
01-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Why do you change the weight every set for box squats? Find your work weight and do 10 or so doubles with it. After those you can do a few heavier sets if you want.

Saturday Fever
01-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Couple questions I have:

1. Do you other Westside folks worry about how much weight you are using, and whether or not it's increasing in your assistance work? I would guess not, but just wanted to ask anyway.

2. I did a 2 board press today, but I think my weakness may actually be even lower than that. Does anyone do 1 board presses???

1. I could care less what weight I use for my assistance work. In my journal lately there are times when I won't even mention the weight I used. I'm not worried about progressing up in weight very much either. I just want the weight to "feel heavy" but not so heavy I fail, and I want to be able to lift it in a semi-slow and controlled manner.

2. I've never seen anyone do a 1 Board, but that doesn't mean you can't. In fact, if you know your sticking point is around there, I'd encourage you to do MORE off of 1 board. And in the future we can discuss bands. :)

NateDogg
01-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Why do you change the weight every set for box squats? Find your work weight and do 10 or so doubles with it. After those you can do a few heavier sets if you want.

I think I got too much into building up to a max like on ME days. Next time out I'll try what you suggest. Thanks!

NateDogg
01-20-2003, 08:10 AM

1. I could care less what weight I use for my assistance work. In my journal lately there are times when I won't even mention the weight I used. I'm not worried about progressing up in weight very much either. I just want the weight to "feel heavy" but not so heavy I fail, and I want to be able to lift it in a semi-slow and controlled manner.

***Ok, thanks, that's what I figured. I have been trying to keep the weight low enough to be able to stay in my rep range, but heavy enough to make it tough. I was just wondering because sometimes that weight ends up being heavier or lighter than last time.

2. I've never seen anyone do a 1 Board, but that doesn't mean you can't. In fact, if you know your sticking point is around there, I'd encourage you to do MORE off of 1 board. And in the future we can discuss bands. :)

***I was just checking out Latty's journal and saw he was doing 1 board presses last time out. I am going to try them next time as I get stuck really low. I have already looked into ordering bands. ;)

NateDogg
01-22-2003, 06:55 PM
January 20, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 12

General Comments
Finally get to do some updating!

Training

DE bench press

Smith Machine Explosive bench press
1 / 70 / 3
2 / 90 / 3
3 / 140 / 3 too heavy
4 / 120 / 3
5 / 120 / 3
6 / 120 / 3
7 / 110 / 3
8 / 110 / 3
9 / 110 / 3
10 / 110 / 3

Interesting...took this idea from Powerman's thread on finally finding a use for the Smith Machine. This is something I definitely have to work on technique and my initial explosion off my chest.

Elbows Out Extension
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 35 / 10
3 / 35 / 10
4 / 40 / 7
5 / 30 / 10

I definitely did not like these. Really bothered my wrists. I used a pair of dumbbells held together with my palms facing away from me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong so I'm going to go check that out at elite.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 9
3 / 65 / 8
4 / 65 / 8

Ouch...very short rest periods here. (again, lol)

Plate Raise
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 50 / 10
3 / 50 / 10
4 / 50 / 10

I had forgotten why I did not want to do these any longer. It's because 50 lbs (2 25's held together) is too light, and 70 (2 35's) would be too heavy right now. I'll probably switch to a barbell front raise.

Lat Pull-Down, Couple inches outside shoulder width
1 / 105 / 10
2 / 120 / 10
3 / 135 / 10
4 / 120 / 10

Great sets here as well.

BB Curls
1 / 55 / 15
2 / 95 / 2.5

Got together all the energy I had left and was able to finish off with 95 for a little over 2.

Training Recap
Now that I don't remember it all that well...it went fine I guess!

Pain/Soreness
None to speak of.

Diet
Not eating enough still, but getting by I guess.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-22-2003, 07:03 PM
January 22, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 13

General Comments
I'm very tired right now so...N/A :D

Training

ME sq/dl

Sumo Deads
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 225 / 3
6 / 250 / 3
7 / 275 / 3
8 / 305 / 1
9 / 340 / 1 :eek:
10 / 350 / miss
11 / 350 / miss

Well I did get a new PB, but I was not happy with it. My energy was just not there today. I should have gotten 350 and did not.

Pull-Throughs
1 / 170 / 12
2 / 180 / 12
3 / 120 / 10

See recap below please.

Decline Sit-Up
1 / bw / 12
2 / bw+5 / 12 (weight behind neck)
3 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)
4 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)

Ouch again. My lower back was really struggling with these near the bottom.

Chest Supported Row
1 / 80 / 10
2 / 100 / 8
3 / 65 / 10
4 / 65 / 10

I really like this machine. Putting a pad near the bottom of my chest seems to help a lot too. Otherwise I get TONS of pressure and pain in my chest. Last two sets done very slow today.

Training Recap
Referring to the pull-throughs above: when I get up to that kind of weight I have to lean forward quite a ways to avoid the weight pulling me over backwards. Do I need to use less weight, or is that how they are done? I am going to go look for pics or video of this exercise over at elite. I was just wondering if anyone could chime in here. Thanks!

Pain/Soreness
Low back hurts a little from the deads, no soreness or other pain to speak of.

Diet
I ate better today, but I think the last couple days of not eating enough caught up with me in my workout.
LATER,

NateDogg

Chris Rodgers
01-22-2003, 07:16 PM
I have to lean forward a lot on the heavy sets too. There is no other way to do them.

When you are warmig up your deads, I wouldn't do so many sets. If I were you, I would have done this:

BAR X whatever
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
305x1
340x1
whatever else you feel like you are good for.

Going up to a triple with 275 seems excessve o me. That would be like me doing a triple with like 385 or so and I don't go near that warming up. I usually have my last warmup at a meet be a single with 385. My warmups go bar,135,225,315,385. That's it.

Just something to think about.

NateDogg
01-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Thanks Latty, I did find video of the pull through, right here on WBB in fact. That helped a lot too.

Honestly, the only reason I did 275 for a triple was that I did it last time. I questioned it this time, and in hind-sight, should not have done it. That sounds good. Next time out I am going to try deads off plates to hopefully help me off the ground.

MonStar
01-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Awesome pull ND! 340 is friggin' great man. Impressive. New PBs are great arent they? Keep up the hard work man. Westside for me tons of fun, do you think so?

NateDogg
01-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Awesome pull ND! 340 is friggin' great man. Impressive. New PBs are great arent they? Keep up the hard work man. Westside for me tons of fun, do you think so?

Thanks Mike, it'll do for today I guess. Yup...still lovin' Westside for sure.

MonStar
01-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Program is completely ace if you ask me man. Jeez. What kind of ME lifts are you going to be employing over the next few weeks? My next 5-weeks will be the following---

ME BENCH
Suspended Bench (pressing off chest)
4" Lockouts
8" Lockouts
Decline Presses
Incline Presses

ME SQ/DL
Rack Pulls
Platform Deadlifts (extended ROM)
Partial Squats
Box Squats
Suspended GMs

NateDogg
01-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey Mike,

Here's what I am looking at for the near future, in no particular order...

ME sq/dl
Rack Pulls
Platform Deadlifts (extended ROM)
Sumo's of course
GM's (have to learn these)

ME bench press
suspended bench
1 and 2 board presses
decline bench
incline bench

Paul Stagg
01-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Couple questions I have:

** I try to progress on pretty much everything... and that's how I decide when to switch stuff.

** Sure.

NateDogg
01-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg
Couple questions I have:

** I try to progress on pretty much everything... and that's how I decide when to switch stuff.

** Sure.

Thanks Paul,

I think I am going to try to stick with the same accessory movements for a couple workouts anyway. Although, I really don't care about my progression in those as long as I am progressing in my main movement for that day.

Yeah, I am definitely going to work with 1 board next time I do board presses.

Saturday Fever
01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Also add in lots of upper back and lats work. If you stick close to your chest you'll want to add strength in those areas. And, as always, review your form and read about proper form. No matter how many times I read on article on how to squat or bench or deadlift, I always pull out something new. Looks good though, good pull on the deads.

NateDogg
01-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Also add in lots of upper back and lats work. If you stick close to your chest you'll want to add strength in those areas. And, as always, review your form and read about proper form. No matter how many times I read on article on how to squat or bench or deadlift, I always pull out something new. Looks good though, good pull on the deads.

I know for sure that I have to work on my lat flex when benching. Strengthen them as well. Thanks for the :help: and the support SF. :D

NateDogg
01-24-2003, 06:52 PM
January 24, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 14

General Comments
Great all around day. Fairly lazy day at work with just enough work in it to keep the day moving and interesting. :D

Training

ME bench press

1 board pressClose-Grip (index right on border of smooth)
1 / 45 / 18
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 195 / 3
5 / 205 / 3
6 / 215 / 1
7 / 225 / 1
8 / 235 / 1 :eek:
9 / 240 / 1 :eek:

This was my first time doing 1 board presses as well. I ended up 5 lbs over my 2 board press max from last week :confused: . I'm not complaining though. I was quite proud of myself. :D I am definitely learning to use my lats more in pressing. This helps to explain why I got more this time out on 1 board press, than I did last time out on 2 board press.

Elbows-out Skulls
1 / 65 / 10
2 / 85 / 4
3 / 75 / 6
4 / 75 / 6
5 / 75 / 5f

I like these once I figured out how to place my hands so my wrists did not hit the bar on the way down.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 75 / 7
3 / 70 / 8
4 / 70 / 6f

Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 12
2 / 20 / 10
3 / 20 / 8

Excellent sets, about 30 seconds of rest between each one.

Close-Grip, Palms-In Cable Row
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 135 / 8
3 / 130 / 8
5 / 130 / 7

I really did these very slow. Concentrating greatly on my lats. These sets were as close to completely pulling with lats (as opposed to arms) that I could possibly get.

BB Curls
1 / 90 / 5
2 / 50 / 10

Couple good sets of curls.

Training Recap
Very happy with this workout all around. It started off on a great note with a new "PB" and the rest was just gravy. Great tricep and lat work today.

Pain/Soreness
My back is a little sore. I'm going to go stretch it out in a bit. Other than that I am feelin' fine!! (same pains as were here last ME bench workout)

Diet
Eating really on track today. Oatmeal and whey, then a Detour bar a couple hours later. A large chicken teriyaki sub from D'Angelos at lunch, couple hours later a chicken breast and some truly whole wheat pasta. After work (few hours after last meal) some homemade chicken salad (chicken breast, light mayo, egg whites, and relish :drooling: my smarties and a whey shake just now, and probably something like milk and chicken or natty PB before bed. That's a general good day for me.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
01-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Man, if you went wide grip to reduce the ROM and allow you to use your lats more, you could push 260ish off 1 board. Awesome lifting Nate.

NateDogg
01-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Man, if you went wide grip to reduce the ROM and allow you to use your lats more, you could push 260ish off 1 board. Awesome lifting Nate.

Thanks SF. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "Ok, I am reducing the ROM by adding the board, but I am increasing it by placing my hands closer together." If it ends up being a wash, I'll have added quite a bit to my 1rm by the time I come round to testing it (still probably next time out). I have no unrealistic expectations though, as for some reason having the board there seems to make me feel more comfortable.

Thanks again ;)

Saturday Fever
01-24-2003, 07:15 PM
I agree with you. I do all of my lifting with a close grip. A wide grip feels really uncomfortable to me. When I get my bench shirt I'll go wide with it on. I also hope it adds lots of solid pounds to my bench at the meet. But in the gym it's always close grip to kill the triceps.

MonStar
01-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Good strength on the 1-board presses ND! Really awesome man. Strength is really impressing me. Close grip seems to really be working out well for you.

NateDogg
01-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Good strength on the 1-board presses ND! Really awesome man. Strength is really impressing me. Close grip seems to really be working out well for you.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the support.

NateDogg
01-26-2003, 08:37 AM
January 26, 2003

Shoulders are still pretty sore today. I am starting to think that they are not ready for all this weight yet. I may have to back off a bit. Anyway, I may do some HIIT today, but that'll be it. Back at it with DE sq/dl tomorrow.

EDIT: 15 minutes of extremely HIIT on my stationary bike. I was seriously walking funny after that. :cry:

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions about my shoulders? Here's a little more info:

I have never had any shoulder trouble. Then again, before a few weeks ago, I had never bench pressed more than 200 lbs. A couple days ago during my 1 board presses, I felt no problems anywhere until I took 240 off the rack, got it to the board, and started pressing it up. Right when I started pushing it up, I felt not pain, but extreme stress placed on both my shoulders and across my chest. I don't think I had felt it quite like that before, even during 260 on decline bench. Anyway, after all of my Westside bench press days to date, my shoulder joints have felt sore, then a couple days later they feel absolutely fine. I am going to start doing even more rotator cuff stuff, when they feel "good." Where do you guys put your rotator cuff work?

Thanks again,

NateDogg

NateDogg
01-27-2003, 07:19 PM
January 27, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 15

General Comments
*Digs journal out of second page*

Well, the Superbowl sucked except for getting to see the Raiders have their a$$es handed to them. I can't wait for The Hulk, Matrix 2 and T3 to come out.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (slightly below parallel)
1 / 45 / 2
2 / 135 / 2
3 / 135 / 2
4 / 135 / 3
5 / 135 / 2
6 / 185 / 3
7 / 205 / 1, missed the second
8 / 205 / 2

I took one of the "blocks" out from each side of the step. I would guess it moved the box 2 inches or so lower.

Glute/Ham Raise on a Swiss-Ball
1 / bw / 6.5
2 / bw / 4.5
3 / bw / 5
4 / bw+5 / 2.5
5 / bw / 2

Still very difficult. My g/f did a few sets of ten no problem :eek: Her form was better than mine to boot. I have trouble keeping my ass under me. I stick it out near the end in order to be able to get all the way up.

Crunches
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 12
3 / bw / 10
4 / bw / 9
5 / bw / 7

Owey.

Standing Calf Raise
1 / 200 / 10
2 / 280 / 4
3 / 300 / 3
4 / 150 / 7

Last two sets done as drop sets.

Training Recap
I was happy with this. Not quick enough off the box at the higher weights, but that's to be expected. My back is bothering me a bit. I have to keep and eye on that.

Pain/Soreness
My left shoulder still hurts a little, right one is fine. Other than that, just my back bothering me a bit.

Diet
Um...we'll just say...Superbowl ;)
LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Good job on the deep box squats ND---they can be a b*tch I know. I am hoping that Ill get 410-415 or so my next time around doing box squats. Well see what happens.

NateDogg
01-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Good job on the deep box squats ND---they can be a b*tch I know. I am hoping that Ill get 410-415 or so my next time around doing box squats. Well see what happens.

Jebus Mike, 410-415? :eek:

Thanks for the support though. :D

NateDogg
01-30-2003, 07:24 PM
January 30, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 16

General Comments
*Does some keen detective work and finds his journal on the third page* :eek:
Work is going really well. I'm pretty tired, so I guess that's it.

Training

DE bench press

Explosive Suspended Bench
1 / 95 / 3
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 155 / 3
4 / 145 / 3
5 / 140 / 3
6 / 140 / 3
7 / 140 / 3
8 / 185 / 3

These were really great. No shoulder pain to report.

Elbows Out Skullcrushers
1 / 80 / 9
2 / 80 / 6
3 / 80 / 6
4 / 80 / 4.5f
5 / 80 / 4

Good sets.

Cable Push-Downs (on lat pull-down)
1 / 80 / 10
2 / 80 / 6.5f
3 / 75 / 8
4 / 70 / 8

Cuban Rotation
1 / 15 / 12
2 / 20 / 12
3 / 20 / 15
4 / 20 / 15

Another exercise new to me, that I really liked a lot.

Cable Row, Shoulder width grip, palms facing in
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 135 / 8
3 / 130 / 6.5f
4 / 125 / 8

Great sets here as well. I really like using the thumbless grip. It seems to make a huge difference, probably all mental.

DB Curls
1 / 40 / 10
2 / 30 / 8

Really great concentration and form on these. Very slow and controlled.

Training Recap
All in all another great Westside workout. It had been a while (2 days off, since I had been to the gym, which seemed like an eternity. I was itchin' to get back at it. Oh yeah, I did drop 40 lbs on my left big toe (icing it now). Yeah...fukcin ow. My toenail is actually broken. I don't think my toe it though. Nicole got the other end of the bar under the chin, but she seems to be fine as well.

Pain/Soreness
My f'n toe! Other than that, I feel a little oddness in my left shoulder still. I am hoping it goes away soon and never comes back. I am not worried about it because it's nothing I never felt in my right shoulder when I was pitching baseball games all through my childhood/early adulthood. My right shoulder's fine. I'm keeping and eye on the pain and certainly will effort not to go overboard with it, but I'm not spending time worrying about it.

Diet
Pretty good since Superbowl Sunday.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
01-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Suspended bench is great isnt it? Gotta love it. Theyre a LOT harder for me than regular bench presses. When are you testing your 1RMs again? Its the end of the month...

galileo
01-31-2003, 11:31 AM
NATE. Kill people. That is all.

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Suspended bench is great isnt it? Gotta love it. Theyre a LOT harder for me than regular bench presses. When are you testing your 1RMs again? Its the end of the month...

I think next ME day will be testing maxes. Actually, ME sq/dl is tonight so I think I'll test those tonight. As for bench press. I'd like to do it next time out, but it'll depend on how my shoulders feel.

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 12:30 PM
NATE. Kill people. That is all.

:eek:

beastin v6
01-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Care to explain Cuban Notation?

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by beastin v6
Care to explain Cuban Notation?

It's Cuban Rotation...

http://home.eol.ca/~philla/bodyessence/Pages/Main/stronghealthyshoulders.html

They are a form of rotator cuff work. External rotation.

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Benching bottom-up is awesome. Eliminates stretch reflex so you have to simply "have the strength." Your lats and upper back just have to be up to par. If they aren't, you'll find out real quick. You might also play with the idea of using 3 different grip, even though I realize it was an ME lift. Not necessarily 3 grips in one workout, but change your grip from week to week to get a better gathering on where your weakness is. Good lifting Nate.

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Benching bottom-up is awesome. Eliminates stretch reflex so you have to simply "have the strength." Your lats and upper back just have to be up to par. If they aren't, you'll find out real quick. You might also play with the idea of using 3 different grip, even though I realize it was an ME lift. Not necessarily 3 grips in one workout, but change your grip from week to week to get a better gathering on where your weakness is. Good lifting Nate.

I definitely liked it. I left a little in the tank as I am watching my shoulder.

I hear ya on changing grips up as well. I was actually thinking of using a few different grips on these last night, but as it was a ME lift I did not.

...and thanks. :)

NateDogg
01-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Postponing ME sq/dl until tomorrow morning so my g/f can go with me.

NateDogg
02-01-2003, 12:08 PM
February 1, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 17

General Comments
I'm sure everyone has now learned of the tragedy involving the space shuttle Columbia. It has been over the TV all day so far. Terrible. I heard about on the radio on my way to the gym.

Training

ME sq/dl

Squat
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 225 / 3
5 / 255 / 1
6 / 275 / 1
7 / 285 / miss

This could have gone better. It certainly could have gone worse as well though. My max is still 275, but I learned more about myself.
1. I am an idiot because I forgot to use my belt, and didn't even realize I had it with me until I was about to go and do deads. :rolleyes: Having that probably would have helped as 275 last time was done belted.

2. My weakness is in my lower back. I am planning to incorportate GM's into many of my ME and DE days from now on.

3. Although my max is still 275, I did it non-belted and with better form this time. Which I was happy with.

Deads off 25lb Plates
1 / 135 / 3
2 / 205 / 3
3 / 225 / 3
4 / 225 / 3

These were interesting. Definitely tougher to keep my lower back flat during these than regular or sumo deads.

Lying Reverse Crunches with Swiss-ball Superset with Leg Raises
1 / bw / 20 / 10
2 / bw / 20 / 10
3 / bw / 20 / 10
4 / bw / 20 / 10

I was really hurting after these. My abs are definitely getting stronger though. The leg raises, even after the crunches, posed minimal problems.

Med-Grip, Palms facing me, Pull-Downs
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 150 / 10
3 / 180 / 5
4 / 195 / 3

Very good strength here. I like this grip.

Training Recap
Like I said earlier; it could have gone better, it could have been worse.

Pain/Soreness
My shoulder feels quite a bit better. Nicole and I bought some glucosamine and chondroiton last night, which I started taking. I'm not sure how long it should take for it to help, but my shoulder does feel better.

Diet
Excellent

LATER,

NateDogg

Hercule
02-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Great workout man. You are a lot like me as far as your squat. Squattin has always been a weakness for me. I will be getting a GHR and RH within the next several months, and I really hope they help get my squat up.

NateDogg
02-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
Great workout man. You are a lot like me as far as your squat. Squattin has always been a weakness for me. I will be getting a GHR and RH within the next several months, and I really hope they help get my squat up.

Thanks Hercule,

Yeah, my squat does not seem to be my strong point. Damn you for getting a GHR and a reverse hyper! ;) Although, I love doing the glute ham raise on a swiss ball. Kicks my ass. :D

Hercule
02-01-2003, 01:45 PM
NP Natedogg. I plan on getting a RH made by a welder I know. He is REALLY good, he made me a power rack that looks like a 500$ model, but he only charged me 175 for it. I will use the money i make this summer to get the GHR.

Saturday Fever
02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Honestly, your squat will go up when you learn to squat. That's not a putdown at all. But I am still learning to squat, and I don't overcome PRs unless I go back and read and find some other small thing to do when squatting. That said, 275 is NOT a bad squat.

NateDogg
02-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Honestly, your squat will go up when you learn to squat. That's not a putdown at all. But I am still learning to squat, and I don't overcome PRs unless I go back and read and find some other small thing to do when squatting. That said, 275 is NOT a bad squat.

I agree. However, even though I am still learning, I can tell that my back is a weakness.

NateDogg
02-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
NP Natedogg. I plan on getting a RH made by a welder I know. He is REALLY good, he made me a power rack that looks like a 500$ model, but he only charged me 175 for it. I will use the money i make this summer to get the GHR.

Wow, sweet deal! I can't wait to get a house so that I can put a gym in it. :D

NateDogg
02-02-2003, 08:09 AM
February 2, 2003

25 minutes jump-rope HIIT. Followed by some light rotator cuff work and my prescribed stretches for my SI strain.

I really enjoy HIIT. I live near a college with a good track that I believe the public can use. I am looking forward to sprinting on it when Spring comes around.

MonStar
02-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Good job on the squats. 275 is still impressive man. I thought you were going to nail 285 too, oh well. Its all good man. Hang in there. Let Westside work for you.

NateDogg
02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Good job on the squats. 275 is still impressive man. I thought you were going to nail 285 too, oh well. Its all good man. Hang in there. Let Westside work for you.

I would have liked to. I believe that things may have gone differently with my belt on. Back to the drawing board though. :D

NateDogg
02-03-2003, 07:23 PM
February 3, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 18

General Comments
I have recently decided to make a conscious effort to keep on an even keel. In life (including the gym) I want to try to take the edge off, so to speak, my ups and downs. To that end, I am not getting too excited about this workout, the fact that I am going to the Avalanche vs. Bruins game at the FleetCenter in Boston tomorrow night, am leaving work early tomorrow, going in late Wednesday, and I also just reached "last page" status for my journal a couple days ago. :) Anyone catch the NHL All-Star game yesterday? I thought it was phenomenal. Followed by a ProBowl not worth watching at all, IMO. Anyway, on with it...

Training

ME bench press

Bench Press (1rm test)
1 / 45 / 17
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 155 / 3
4 / 195 / 3
5 / 205 / 3
6 / 215 / 1
7 / 225 / 1 :eek:
8 / 235 / 1 :eek:
9 / 240 / miss

I realize that I am just starting to learn how to bench press correctly. Thus a large part of the increase. Still though, I'm having a hard time not getting too excited about this. :D 215 was smoked, then 225 was smoked. 235 I had a little more trouble with and almost missed it (not enough rest time I don't think), but locked it out just fine. Best of all...NO SHOULDER ISSUES AT ALL!

JM Press
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 105 / 5
3 / 105 / 5
4 / 105 / 4f

Very good sets.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 8
2 / 60 / 8
3 / 55 / 9
4 / 55 / 9

Cable Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 20 / 10
3 / 20 / 9
4 / 20 / 8

I really like using the cables instead of dumbbells sometimes. Keeps the tension there the whole movement.

Chest Supported Row
1 / 90 / 10
2 / 90 / 8
3 / 90 / 7
4 / 90 / 4

Great sets here as well.

Machine Bicep Curls
1 / 90 / 8
2 / 50 / 14

Ouch.

Training Recap
Again, on as even a keel as possible, that was awesome.

Pain/Soreness
I stretched my hams, glutes, and hip flexors out really good today. I need to continue to do that on a regular basis to help my flexibility and in turn help my SI strain rehab. It's bothering me a bit today.

Diet
Excellent eating today.

LATER,

NateDogg

Chris Rodgers
02-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Great job on the bench PR. Next time don't hit heavy triples right before. It may give you an extra 5-10 lbs.

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Awesome. I agree with the esteemed LATMAN, drop the triples 4-5 sets before your max. Assuming you know when that's going to be. :)

NateDogg
02-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys, I was pretty psyched. I agree on at least the last set of triples I did. It definitely took a little out of me.

NateDogg
02-05-2003, 07:45 PM
February 5, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 19

General Comments
Awesome hockey game last night. I am an Avalanche fan btw, and they won, 3-2 in overtime, so I went home happy. :D Two games a year I root against the Bruins, last night was one, the other was played earlier in the year at the Pepsi Center in Colorado. I did get a pretty sweet Bruins had and sweatpants too though. :D Don't get me wrong, I am a Bruins fan, and a big hockey fan in general for sure, it's just Av's first.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

I blew out the usual structure because this was not a usually structured workout. After last week's failure (that is what I consider it) on may max squat attempts, I printed out 5 or 6 articles on squatting from elitefts today and read them all.

I went to the gym with the idea that I was going to at least find out what I thought was wrong based on those articles. I also wanted to start to learn how to do a GM correctly. I feel I partially attained those goals.

Box Squat "Observations" and Thoughts on Resolutions
1. I had a very hard time sitting back far enough. A couple times I sat back on the box, looked down (only using the bar at this point) and found that I was barely sitting back at all. My shins were far from being perpendicular, not out over my toes, but not back far enough.
***I believe I need to work on my hamstring flexibility and strength to help prevent this and allow myself to sit back further.

2. I felt my Adductors working A TON! My stance was very wide, and my toes pointed out at about 45 degrees, which I seemed to have to do to be able to sit back at all.
***Adductor flexibility? Probably hamstring flexibility here as well.

Good Morning "Observations" and Thoughts
I did these with and arched back.

1. I felt the concentric phase of this movement very much in my glutes. Is this correct?

2. I had a tough time with bar placement, but I can just find video or pics of someone doing GM's to figure that out.

3. I did want to point out that my back felt awesome after these.

Thanks for your time guys...

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Generally speaking, both lifts are done on a "hips back, hips forward" basis. I think possibly the best way to demonstrate to yourself what that means is to do Suspended Good AMs with the bar suspended much lower than you could take it normally. Focus on keeping your back tight primarily, and then simply push your hips forward. I hope that explanation is worth a damn, and I hope it helps you.

NateDogg
02-08-2003, 11:21 AM
February 7, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 20

General Comments
Woohoo, the weekend is here! My parents came out to our apartment Thursday night and stayed until last night. It was great having them around. They lifted with us yesterday, which was a lot of fun too. :D

I also purchased "Gray's Anatomy" yesterday. I know it will help in my quest to learn more about the body, what is where and how it works.

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 125 / 3
3 / 125 / 3
4 / 125 / 3
5 / 125 / 3
6 / 185 / 2
7 / 185 / 1

I probably went a little too light on these, although I did push quicker than when I was doing 140 last time, so I'm sure it was still beneificial. No shoulder pain at all.

Elbows Out Skullcrushers
1 / 80 / 9
2 / 80 / 6
3 / 80 / 4
4 / 80 / 4
5 / 80 / 3f

Very short rest periods between these sets. 30-45 seconds only. I was trying to stay within 3-10 reps on these sets.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 8
2 / 60 / 9
3 / 60 / 9
4 / 60 / 7

Ouch...very short rest periods here as well.

Cuban Rotation
1 / 20 / 15
2 / 20 / 15
3 / 20 / 15

Good work here. In case anyone is wondering I worked on my internal rotators (and external just to get warmed up a little) prior to starting the speed benches.

Lat Pulldown Med-Grip, Palms facing away
1 / 130 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10
4 / 135 / 7

Great sets here as well. I really like using the thumbless grip. It seems to make a huge difference, probably all mental.

BB Curls
1 / 80 / 8
2 / 50 / 11

Really great concentration and form on these. Very slow and controlled.

Training Recap
Great workout today. Working out with my Mom and Dad was awesome.

Pain/Soreness
N/A :D

Diet
I ate a lot of great (read: tasty and healthy) food yesterday, and I'm doing so right now...egg whites with some light cheese on them :drooling:
LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
02-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Generally speaking, both lifts are done on a "hips back, hips forward" basis. I think possibly the best way to demonstrate to yourself what that means is to do Suspended Good AMs with the bar suspended much lower than you could take it normally. Focus on keeping your back tight primarily, and then simply push your hips forward. I hope that explanation is worth a damn, and I hope it helps you.

I'll have to try that. It means a little to me now. I can kind of envision it. It will probably mean more when I try to apply it.

Thanks!

Silverback
02-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Jesus im way behind with your journal nate, Westside eh,

Your strength seems to be skyrocketing since i last checked, all credit too you:thumbup:

glad to hear that your loving your new routine, it sounds good. Maybe i could adopt in the future but im way off demonstrating that, i need all-round development and i feel conventional methods will help me out at the mo.

Nice to hear from you nate:)

B-R

NateDogg
02-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
Jesus im way behind with your journal nate, Westside eh,

Your strength seems to be skyrocketing since i last checked, all credit too you:thumbup:

glad to hear that your loving your new routine, it sounds good. Maybe i could adopt in the future but im way off demonstrating that, i need all-round development and i feel conventional methods will help me out at the mo.

Nice to hear from you nate:)

B-R

Thanks Big_Ron. :) My main issue right now is with my squat form. I'm working on it though.

MonStar
02-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Nice work on the 'Speen' Bench ND. LOL, I hate when I have typos so I figured I would let you know. Anyway good work man. Westside seems to be working well for you. I am looking forward to you getting your squat up.

NateDogg
02-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Nice work on the 'Speen' Bench ND. LOL, I hate when I have typos so I figured I would let you know. Anyway good work man. Westside seems to be working well for you. I am looking forward to you getting your squat up.

Lol, thanks Mike. "N" being nowhere near "D" I have no idea how I did that. I fixed it. :D

I am very much looking forward to getting my squat up!

NateDogg
02-09-2003, 02:35 PM
February 9, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 21

General Comments
Well, just chillin' out at home today watchin' golf and Arena football. Not too sure about Arena football yet. Golf I can watch. I have a particular interest in this year's PGA season as I am in a pool. I'm doing pretty ok so far. First time I've ever tried something like this.

Training

ME sq/dl

Good Mornings
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 95 / 5
3 / 115 / 3
4 / 135 / 3
5 / 155 / 3
6 / 175 / Um...no.

Interesting. I believe I got to parallel on these. I'll have to find someone to watch me next time. 175 was just too much for what was really my first time. I got it down, but had to lean back and squat it back up because I determined it was going to be too heavy to try.

Pull-throughs
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 190 / 10
3 / 200 / 10
4 / 200 / 10

Ouch.

Swiss Ball crunch 2 sets / Machine crunch 2 sets
1 / bw / 15
2 / bw / 15
3 / bw+40 / 10
4 / bw+50 / 12

Good sets. I wanted to try and use some heavier weight for a couple sets.

Chest Supported Row
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 100 / 8
3 / 90 / 8
4 / 80 / 8

I love and hate this machine. It feels great in my lats, but the pressure on my chest, even with my fleece folded over on the machine is almost unbearable.

Training Recap
I was happy with this workout. I had not eaten enough to support it, but it went ok until the end anway. I also did not consume Gatorade during my workout today. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should. Or even better...does anyone else consume a sports drink during their resistance training, or just drink water?

Pain/Soreness
I think I slept on my left shoulder funny because it hurts a little. Other than that I feel great!

Diet
Not enough food so far. I'm going to the store to remedy that right now. :D

LATER,

NateDogg

DK
02-09-2003, 04:30 PM
I know what you mean about the chest supported rows. They hurt my chest too.

As for sports drinks during training, sometimes I do and sometime I just drink water. The only advantage that I feel sports drinks have are that they taste better. They are great for football practice though when the coach is running every bit of energy out of you.

NateDogg
02-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I know what you mean about the chest supported rows. They hurt my chest too.

As for sports drinks during training, sometimes I do and sometime I just drink water. The only advantage that I feel sports drinks have are that they taste better. They are great for football practice though when the coach is running every bit of energy out of you.

Oh, I definitely agree that they taste better and for football practice would be quite beneficial. I'll probablyl stick with it, just dilute it a little more.

galileo
02-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Excellent work Nate! I can't keep up with everyone's journal since I don't access the site through work, but I check when I can.

You're doing great man.

NateDogg
02-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Excellent work Nate! I can't keep up with everyone's journal since I don't access the site through work, but I check when I can.

You're doing great man.

I'm honored. :D

Thanks man.

NateDogg
02-12-2003, 04:48 PM
February 11, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 22

General Comments
N/A

Training

ME bench press

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press
1 / 55 / 19
2 / 55 / 15
3 / 50 / 16

Shooting for 3 sets of 20 here. I didn't quite make it, and I have a new respect for this "ME day" exercise. It was definitely a good thing to get away from the "heavy" weights for a session as well.

Lying DB Tricep Extension
1 / 15 / 10
2 / 25 / 7
3 / 25 / 5
4 / 25 / 5

I had not done these in quite some time. First set was way undershot. Last three were better. Very short (read: <1 min rest periods).

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 9
2 / 70 / 6.5f
3 / 70 / 7.5f

Ouch...very short rest periods here as well.

Cable Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 12
2 / 20 / 12
3 / 20 / 12
4 / 20 / 12

I really like using the cables instead of dumbbells sometimes. Keeps the tension there the whole movement.

Dumbbell Row
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 75 / 10
3 / 75 / 8
4 / 70 / 8
5 / 70 / 7

Great sets here as well.

Dumbbell Curls
1 / 40 / 8
2 / 25 / 15
3 / 15 / 20

Oh Jebus...not drop sets, but only 30-45 seconds rest. :cry:

Training Recap
Excellent workout I thought. Good recovery from "heavy" weight for my shoulders. Very dead tired at the end of it. All of the accessory lifts were done with extremely short rest periods. Only rest was the time it took to switch off the bench with my training partner, or grab a new set of weights.

Pain/Soreness
Lol, chest, tri's, bi's = very, very sore. Shoulders a bit sore (muscle sore) from cable raises. My back feels great though! I have been doing just odd ball stretching here and there. Even at work I'm always bending over and stretching my hams (after walking around a little to get the blood flowing. I think it's all helping.

Diet
I bought 2.12 lbs of beef the other day and made three burgers out of it :drooling: :thumbup:

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
02-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Dumbbells for reps is VERY tough and very underrated. Good session, and good job on the eating! :)

NateDogg
02-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Dumbbells for reps is VERY tough and very underrated. Good session, and good job on the eating! :)

They totally sucked ass.

It's funny, I wrote out and estimated calories for an average day and I was only at about 3000. Which I don't think is enough for me. I added some beef and will add some more natty PB on days I don't think I've met calories. Should help.

Thanks!

Tank23
02-13-2003, 04:29 AM
Hey NateDogg, nice journal mate.

How has Westside been in terms of mass gain?

-Tank

NateDogg
02-13-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Tank23
Hey NateDogg, nice journal mate.

How has Westside been in terms of mass gain?

-Tank

Thanks Tank.

Honestly, I don't feel I have been eating enough to do it justice in that respect. I do feel however, that if I was concerned with mass gain at this time, it would be just fine, if that was a secondary goal.

Tank23
02-14-2003, 09:28 PM

Thanks Tank.

Honestly, I don't feel I have been eating enough to do it justice in that respect. I do feel however, that if I was concerned with mass gain at this time, it would be just fine, if that was a secondary goal.

You're not cutting up right now are you?

-Tank

NateDogg
02-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Tank23

You're not cutting up right now are you?

-Tank

Lol, nope. I'm just not eating enough consistently to think I would be putting on weight, and I'm really not. I may cut for the summer. I'm not 100% sure yet though.

NateDogg
02-15-2003, 09:36 AM
February 14, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 23

General Comments
Very slow day at work yesterday. I was having trouble even making it look like I was busy. Spent V-day with my g/f. We ordered takeout from the great seafood restaurant down the street...after a great workout of course!

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (Exactly Parallel)
1 / 45 / 6
2 / 135 / 2
3 / 135 / 2
4 / 135 / 2
5 / 135 / 2
6 / 135 / 2
7 / 185 / 2
8 / 200 / 2

I am definitely starting to learn how to squat. My shins were just about straight up and down when I was on the box during these. The biggest thing I took from all the squat articles I printed off of elitefts was that I have not been leaning forward (at the hips of course) enough to allow myself to sit back. I'm getting there though!

1 / bw / 9
2 / bw / 6
3 / bw / 6
4 / bw / 6
5 / bw / 7

I'm getting better at these as well. It helped that the ball was properly inflated this time. It much better simulated a real GHR machine.

Donkey Raise
1 / 200 / 10
2 / 200 / 6
3 / 200 / 8
4 / 200 / 6

Good sets.

Crunches with Feet up on Swiss-Ball
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 15
3 / bw / 12
4 / bw / 10

Ouch.

Training Recap
Better speed on the box and better form. :D

Pain/Soreness
It's now 2/15/03, my calves are a little sore.

Diet
Better, more cals, so...better.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
02-16-2003, 01:05 PM
February 16, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 24

General Comments
Another long weekend from work. I'm really getting spoiled. :D

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 130 / 3
3 / 130 / 3
4 / 130 / 3
5 / 130 / 3
6 / 185 / 3
7 / 185 / 1

This time these bothered my shoulders a little. I warmed them up well too. I did mess around with my grip a bit which seemed to help a little. I did the last couple sets with a pretty wide (pinky on ring) then a wide (index on ring) grips.

JM Press
1 / 95 / 9
2 / 90 / 8
3 / 90 / 6
4 / 90 / 8

Not sure what happened on that third set. tuttut

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 11
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 8

Pretty good sets here, very slow and controlled, good squeezeses.

Cuban Rotation
1 / 20 / 15
2 / 30 / 12
3 / 30 / 12
4 / 30 / 12

Good work here. In case anyone is wondering I worked on my internal rotators (and external just to get warmed up a little) prior to starting the speed benches.

Cable Row Med-Grip, Palms In
1 / 130 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 130 / 10
4 / 130 / 8

BB Curls
1 / 90 / 10

Whatever it took to get 90 lbs 10 times. It ended up being 7, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Hyperextensions
1 / bw / 12
2 / bw / 8

I threw these in just to get the blood flowing. I really should start adding these into my sq/dl days sometimes. Killer glute squeeze at the top of each rep.

Training Recap
All in all a good workout. I need to try and find some more stuff to do for a DE exercise. I think I may try some presses on a swiss ball for a change.

Pain/Soreness
Calves and hammies are sore. Low back is bothering me a bit today. Time to go stretch and watch golf.

Diet
Eh, I'm getting a lot of protein and a good amount of fat. Minimal carbs though. that is what I really have to work on. I am going to go and cook up a bunch of brown rice in a minute.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
02-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Nice workout dawg,

whats up with teh shoulder? hope its nothing serious :)

I hear you on the thumbless grip cable rows, i seem to get the same strength difference mental maybe, however they are also awesome:)

Whats it feel like to curl 90 for 10 reps, at the mo i can do 90 for 1 and it felt fantastic! just wondering what it feels like at them dizzy heights

keep up the good work nate, and get the shoulder seen as soon as possible if its injured

NateDogg
02-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Nice workout dawg,

whats up with teh shoulder? hope its nothing serious :)

I hear you on the thumbless grip cable rows, i seem to get the same strength difference mental maybe, however they are also awesome:)

Whats it feel like to curl 90 for 10 reps, at the mo i can do 90 for 1 and it felt fantastic! just wondering what it feels like at them dizzy heights

keep up the good work nate, and get the shoulder seen as soon as possible if its injured

Thanks for posting B-R,

Oh no, it's nothing to be worried about at all. It's actually fine right now as I type. It seems to bother me only when I really get the speed up, but then be fine right away. I may shy away from speed stuff for a bit, but that's all that seems to be giving me trouble at this point.

Lol @ "them dizzy heights," You're not that far off bro. :D

NateDogg
02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
February 17, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 25

General Comments
Well, it's snowing...probably for the rest of the day. It's going to be an "inside" day that's for sure. Might venture out to get some food, and cat food, but that'll be the extent of it. I also like driving around in my JEEP in the snow, just 'cuz I can. :D

Training

ME sq/dl

Rack Pulls
1 / 45 / 8
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 225 / 3
5 / 275 / 3
6 / 300 / 3
7 / 355 / 1 (belted) :eek:
8 / 380 / 1 (belted) :eek:
9 / 400 / lol ;)

Sweet PR here. 2X BW. I took a quick shot at 400. Soon, but it was not to be today.

Hyperextentions
1 / bw / 10
2 / bw+25 / 10
3 / bw+35 / 10
4 / bw+35 / 10

These KILLED my hamstrings. Awesome glute squeeze as well.

High Pulley AB crunch
1 / 150 / 20
2 / 190 / 20
3 / 230 / 10

I ran out of weight here. I'll have to try doing these on a lat pulldown so I can get more weight.

Close Grip, Palms in Cable Row
1 / 150 / 10
2 / 165 / 6

I went heavy for a couple sets here. I did just do lats yesterday so I only did 2 sets today.

Training Recap
I was very pleased with this workout today. The rack pull PR's felt great, 355 went up very quickly and easily. It was interesting getting to and from the gym with the snow starting to fall...heavily. I swear an inch+ fell when we were lifting.

Pain/Soreness
Calves still a little sore, hams as well.

Diet
I got up later than expected this morning so all I have had so far is two shakes, one with milk and the other with water (postworkout). Time to go cook up some chicken :D

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
02-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Good lifting Nate. Looks like your weakness lies in your lower back like me. Perhaps between the two of us we can uncover a way to fix it. I know Santiago recommended doing ME Deads with 25 or 35lb plates for a change.

NateDogg
02-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Good lifting Nate. Looks like your weakness lies in your lower back like me. Perhaps between the two of us we can uncover a way to fix it. I know Santiago recommended doing ME Deads with 25 or 35lb plates for a change.

Thanks man. That's exactly right. It's the same reason I sometimes end up having to good morning up heavy squats. I'll have to try Santiago's idea as well.

Chris Rodgers
02-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Nice pullin man.

I'm the opposite of you guys. No matter what the weight, I blow it off the floor and then stall over the knees. I'm pretty sure I need to bring up my glutes and maybe hips?

NateDogg
02-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Nice pullin man.

I'm the opposite of you guys. No matter what the weight, I blow it off the floor and then stall over the knees. I'm pretty sure I need to bring up my glutes and maybe hips?

Thanks LATMAN,

It's amazing to think about never having trouble getting the weight off the floor. That really boggles my mind.

Silverback
02-21-2003, 02:17 PM
woah, i had to dig like 50ft to get to your journo! :)

Got to hand it to ya those pulls were awsome, dont worry you'll be able to do 400 for reps in no time. Some great hyperextensions, i usually tend to do less volume with these, but i suppose its what your comfortable with.

Hows the snow situation now nate? hope its starting to clear up, its been in the news over here quite a bit.

train hard always :)

B-R

NateDogg
02-21-2003, 02:42 PM
woah, i had to dig like 50ft to get to your journo! :)

Got to hand it to ya those pulls were awsome, dont worry you'll be able to do 400 for reps in no time. Some great hyperextensions, i usually tend to do less volume with these, but i suppose its what your comfortable with.

Hows the snow situation now nate? hope its starting to clear up, its been in the news over here quite a bit.

train hard always :)

B-R

Lol, sorry ;)

I did have a workout two days ago. It was bitterly disappointing. I'll post it when I post tonight's workout later tonight.

I was psyched about the rack pull PR, as SF said though (via Santiago ;) ) it shows that our weakness is probably our backs. Good Mornings it is!

Yeah, the hypers felt great. I realized that when I had used that particular apparatus in the past I was not using it correctly. I wasn't squeezing my glutes, or allowing my hams to work. I am definitely going to use it more often. The higher volume didn't seem to bother me.

We have a $hitload of snow on the ground out here. Coupled with the last storm, plus snow drifts, we probably have close to 4 feet here and there. Ugh! The only thing that's really tough is parking, as I'm just off Main street in my city. I do have my JEEP though so I can park just about anywhere I want, snow or no snow. :D

Take it easy (except in the gym of course)!

NateDogg
02-21-2003, 07:34 PM
February 19, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 26

General Comments
N/A

Training

ME bench press

Decline Bench
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 225 / 1
5 / 260 / miss

This was terrible, see recap.

Lying DB Tricep Extension
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 25 / 8
3 / 25 / 6
4 / 25 / 5

These were not bad at all.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 80 / 4
4 / 80 / 4

Good sets, I wanted to go a little heavier on a couple.

THAT WAS IT. Frustration and fatigue had seriously set in at this point. I went over to the rack and worked on my squat form for a bit.

Training Recap
Nothing went right for me with this workout. I had a period during the day where I did not eat for over three hours. I think that may have had something to do with it as the break was right before my last meal before my workout. Besides that problem I was very, VERY hot at the gym. Abnormally hot. Fatigued, just nothing went right. For now I am going to chalk it up to a bad day. Although my shoulders didn't feel great here either. It may be more than I thought it was. If I have another day like this next time out it will be time to take the week off that I had originally planned to take after the 36th workout of the routine.

Pain/Soreness
Just my shoulders after the workout. Mostly my left shoulder. I feel that most of the problems are being caused by the explosiveness of the speed benching. Is there any way to help this out? I am doing quite a bit of rotator cuff work.

Diet
Eh, I honestly don't remember what I ate the few days before two days ago.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
02-21-2003, 07:48 PM
February 21, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 27

General Comments
I had a bit of a bomb dropped on me at work today. SF, remember talking about being in such a rage? I was right there with you bro...

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (Exactly Parallel)
1 / 45 / 6
2 / 135 / 2
3 / 135 / 2
4 / 135 / 2
5 / 135 / 2
6 / 185 / 2
7 / 225 / 2

Wow, these were awesome today. Excellent form. 225 went up fairly easily and quickly.

1 / bw / 10
2 / bw / 10
3 / bw / 6
4 / bw+25 / 5 negatives
5 / bw+25 / 5 negatives

I am still having trouble keepin my glutes tight while doing these. Awesome negatives though, my hams are hurty.

Donkey Raise
1 / 240 / 6
2 / 200 / 5
3 / 160 / 5
4 / 120 / 5

One big dropset. :cry:

Weighted Machine Crunch
1 / 25 / 20
2 / 40 / 12
3 / 40 / 12
4 / 40 / 12
5 / 40 / 12

Ouch.

Training Recap
This worked out well.

Pain/Soreness
Tri's are sore, hams hurt already from today. Shoulders do not outright hurt, but do not feel right either.

Diet
I didn't get enough protein today, but I am making up for it tonight and tomorrow. Big burgers.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
02-22-2003, 10:41 AM
I've worked out angry and done well. And I've worked out angry and didn't. Hard part is to figure out what kind of day anger is going to lead you to. Good session all the same.

NateDogg
02-22-2003, 07:16 PM
I've worked out angry and done well. And I've worked out angry and didn't. Hard part is to figure out what kind of day anger is going to lead you to. Good session all the same.

True. Although I was more angry at work and it "wore off" if you will. I totally know what you mean though.

NateDogg
02-23-2003, 01:18 PM
February 23, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 28

General Comments
Well, I finally made an eye appt. It's been about 3 year and I am pretty sure I need a new prescription. I should have made it MUCH earlier, but I think I found a really good place so that might make up for it.

Training

DE bench press

Explosive Smith Machine Bench
1 / 70 / 3
2 / 100 / 3
3 / 100 / 3
4 / 100 / 3
5 / 100 / 3
6 / 100 / 3
7 / 100 / 3
8 / 100 / 3

These were better on my shoulders, telling me that it's not the exploding up in speed benching that bothers them, but the very quick slow down of the weight at the end.

DB Overhead Extension on Swiss-Ball
1 / 40 / 10
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 8
4 / 60 / 7

Pretty good on these. For some reason, eventhough this was my first time doing these, balance was not an issue I had to address at all. *shrugs*

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 60 / 8
3 / 60 / 9
4 / 60 / 8

Pretty good sets here, very slow and controlled, good squeezeses.

1 Arm Cable Row
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 75 / 10
3 / 75 / 8
4 / 75 / 8

These were great. I really felt them well in my lats. Good for the core too as I had to stabilize myself, I let my non-working arm just hang there so I had to work even harder to stay square.

Machine Curl
1 / 100 / 6
2 / 50 / 15

Good sets here.

Training Recap
This was better than the last time out as far as shoulders and energy in general go.

Pain/Soreness
Calves and hammies still sore, shoulders hurt a little from today's workout. I'm going to go and ice them now.

Diet
Definitely improved today. I also made some more home made protein bars to help out with calories. :drooling:

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
02-26-2003, 04:52 PM
February 25, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 29

General Comments
Hey everyone! Been busy outside of work the last couple days. I did get in a great workout last night, more to come, but I have been taking care of my g/f who just had her wisdom teeth removed. Everyone please wish her a speedy recovery (she reads my journal often)! She actually did go work for a few hours today. She's a tough little chick so I'm sure she'll be fine.

I also applied to get pre-approved for a mortgage today as we are house hunting. Both of us have grown quite tired of paying out a lot of money in rent and having nothing to show for it in the end. I am fairly certain I will be pre-approved. We already have a house in mind that we want to go and check out.

Training

ME sq/dl

Good Mornings
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 95 / 5
3 / 115 / 3
4 / 135 / 3
5 / 155 / 3
6 / 165 / 3 :eek:
7 / 175 / 3 :eek:
8 / 185 / too much.

Oh man, I killed myself on these, very tough. I did them how they look on exrx.net when listed as an erector spinae movement. Meaning, bent knee, arched back and as low as I could get while keeping my back flat.

Pull Throughs
1 / 190 / 10
2 / 200 / 12
3 / 200 / 12
4 / 200 / 10

These were very kick ass as well. I've maxed out the weight stack though :(

Pullovers on Swiss Ball (thanks SF :thumbup: )
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 35 / 10
3 / 50 / 10
4 / 65 / 8

I started out way too light on these. It was my first time though so I was able to learn the movement better with lighter weight I guess. Near the end was more like it. I did lose my balance a couple times and had to adjust my foot position to compensate, lol.

High Pulley AB crunch
1 / 190 / 20
2 / 190 / 20
3 / 190 / 20

Great sets. I slowed them down and made sure to pause for a count at the top so's not to use momentum.

Training Recap
Great workout today. "Kick my back's ass day."

Pain/Soreness
It is now 2/26/03. My erectors are sore, my tri's chest and lats are all a little sore from the pullovers. My hams and glutes are a little sore from the GM's and pull throughs.

Diet
Diet has been excellent the last couple days.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
02-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Pullovers on Swiss Ball (thanks SF )

:nod:

bradley
02-27-2003, 03:06 AM
Workouts looking good NateDogg. I think I am going to have to try some of the exercises that you and SF perform on the swiss ball. They sound like a good change of pace. Good luck on the house hunting, and interest rates are nice and low right now. Not a bad time to be thinking of buying a house.:) Hope you gf gets well soon. Getting wisdom teeth extracted is not very fun.:(

NateDogg
02-27-2003, 06:36 AM

:D

NateDogg
02-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Workouts looking good NateDogg. I think I am going to have to try some of the exercises that you and SF perform on the swiss ball. They sound like a good change of pace. Good luck on the house hunting, and interest rates are nice and low right now. Not a bad time to be thinking of buying a house.:) Hope you gf gets well soon. Getting wisdom teeth extracted is not very fun.:(

Thanks bradley, nice of you to drop by. :D

The stuff on the swiss ball really forces you to concentrate on the position of your whole body and use good form or you're gonna fall off.

Thanks!

NateDogg
02-27-2003, 07:20 PM
February 27, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 30

General Comments
N/A

Training

ME bench press

Incline Bench
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 115 / 5
3 / 155 / 3
4 / 175 / 1
5 / 185 / 1 :eek:

Much better on the shoulder front. I gather it was because I was using less weight that I would use for other pressing movements. Hopefully not though. Hopefully they just didn't bother me because they feel better.

DB OH Extension
1 / 65 / 10
2 / 80 / 4
3 / 75 / 5.5f
4 / 75 / 4.5f

Really good sets here. I didn't mean to fail, but it was like hitting a wall going full speed.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 65 / 10
2 / 65 / 9
3 / 65 / 7
4 / 65 / 8

Good sets here as well.

DB Lat Raise
1 / 17.5 / 12
2 / 17.5 / 12
3 / 17.5 / 12
4 / 17.5 / 12

I went a little lighter than usual on these, but the movements were very slow.

Barbell Row
1 / 115 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 8

I had not done these in QUITE some time. I like them, but my entire posterior chain was still tight and sore from ME sq/dl, so I went pretty light and stoppeed at 3 sets.

DB Curl
1 / 45 / 8
2 / 20 / 20

The obilatory biceps sets.

Training Recap
Much better ME bench session than last time. Hopefully things are looking up for my shoulders. However, if they are not, I am quickly nearing my originally scheduled week off, so I can take it relatively easier if need be, then rest for a week.

Pain/Soreness
Posterior chain still sore, tri's sore, I think that's it, lol.

Diet
I ate quite well again today. I'm sure tomorrow will go well too. It's much easier to get ample calories when I have my homemade "protein" bars lying around.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
02-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Nice incline strength ND! Looking good man, nice workout.

NateDogg
02-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Nice incline strength ND! Looking good man, nice workout.

Thanks Mike.

NateDogg
03-02-2003, 03:46 PM
March 2, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 31

General Comments
I went back to my hometown this weekend to see my family as it was my Grampy's 81st birthday. We all had a great time and I ate a lot of good and pretty healthy food. Missed Nicole though as she had to work. She'll be home in a couple hours. For now I'm just watching golf, reading, and chillin' on WBB.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Sumo
1 / 135 / 2
2 / 135 / 2
3 / 185 / 2
4 / 185 / 2
5 / 185 / 2
6 / 185 / 2
7 / 225 / 2
8 / 225 / 2

Good sets here. They did reinforce however that I am weak right off the floor. I was quick once I got the damn thing to leave the floor, but it took a sec to do so. I was happy with it for my first attempt at these though.

Reverse Hyper on Swiss Ball on Bench
1 / bw / 15
2 / bw+10 / 12
3 / bw+10 / 12
4 / bw+10 / 12

Interesting. These are definitely a movement I would like to incorporate more often. Also something I have to get used to though as they are not easy. I got lucky happened to pick the bench next to one of the gym's support beams. Lucky because I tipped over a couple times leaning forward to lay on the ball and I had to use it to catch myself, lol.

Donkey Raise
1 / 240 / 10
2 / 240 / 6
3 / 200 / 7
4 / 200 / 5

These stunk. I really have no clue what happened here, but I was not pleased with my calf workout today. I think I'll throw some in next time out.

Crunches on Swiss-Ball
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 20
3 / bw+30 / 8 (added 30lbs by grabbing cable behind my head)
4 / bw+30 / 12 (added 30lbs by grabbing cable behind my head)

Doing these in front of a low pulley and adding resistance that way was killer.

Training Recap
Very happy with today.

Pain/Soreness
Tri's are a little sore. I'm doing fine other than that.

Diet
Great quantity and quality of cals yesterday and so far today.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
03-04-2003, 06:48 PM
March 4, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 32

General Comments
Ugh, a very bad night of sleep two nights ago, and a very long (time and work wise) at work yesterday and I am beat! Luckily last night's sleep was much better, excellent actually, today's work day was shorter and less stressful and today's workout went quite well... :D
Training

ME bench press

2 Board Press
1 / 45 / 20
2 / 115 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 250 / 1 :eek:

That was it, good PB here. I did have to lift my ass no more than 1 inch off the bench so's not to get stuck, but I count it anyway. My shoulders did not bother me on these. I think I will stay with board presses for a bit after my break so's to keep pressure off my shoulders and see if they get better.

Lying DB Extension
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 25 / 8
3 / 25 / 7
4 / 25 / 5.5f

Very good sets.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 90 / 3
2 / 80 / 6
3 / 50 / 15

I wanted to see how much I could still get three reps with. That was it.

Cable Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 12
2 / 20 / 12
3 / 20 / 12

Good sets, no problems.

DB Pullovers
1 / 60 / 12
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 10
4 / 60 / 10

I'm not so sure these were harder on the ball? :scratch:

BB Curl
1 / 100 / 7.5f
2 / 110 / 1.5f

Great sets. I haven't curled that much in a while. The "1" from the second set was still perfect form.

Training Recap
Like I said earlier, good workout. I also noticed something today. I saw a girl doing Reverse Hyper's lying backwards on a regular hyperextention apparatus. I'm definitely going to try that.

Pain/Soreness
I am definitely going to do some good stretching before bed. I really have to do more if for nothing else to help my back and my squat. Well, my calves are a little sore, shoulders hurt a little. I just finished off a bottle of glucosamine and chondroitin so that may be why.

Diet
Wow, it's really been great the last few days.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
03-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Everything seems to really be looking good ND, extremely impressive job with 250 man, nice work! Keep up the hard work, I guarantee that this hard work will pay off next time you test your maxes.

NateDogg
03-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Everything seems to really be looking good ND, extremely impressive job with 250 man, nice work! Keep up the hard work, I guarantee that this hard work will pay off next time you test your maxes.

Thanks Mike, with my intermittent shoulder troubles I was happy with it.

NateDogg
03-06-2003, 07:00 PM
March 6, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 33

General Comments
Ah, what a night, good workout, chicken in the microwave and President Bush on TV. Now, I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, I could probably find out through one of the 8 million threads about it, lol, but I'm not sold on anything. I hear people say things like, "Why don't we just go to war already?" It makes me sick. I am less an uncle and my father less a brother because of war. War is not a good thing. Yeah, it's glorified on TV, but people have some sick ideas about it. Now, if war is necessary, and I don't have a clue personally if it is or is not at this time, and I don't pretend to, then we should go to war. However, if it's not, then we shouldn't. I could go on and on, but I am not educated enough on entirety of the subject, nor do I feel like typing all night. Any thoughts? No flames in my journal please, if anyone wants to comment, at least keep it civil.

Training

ME sq/dl

Good Mornings
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 95 / 5
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 155 / 3
5 / 165 / 3
6 / 185 / 3 :eek:

Good sets here, same form as last time.

Reverse Hypers on Hyperextension machine
1 / bw / 12
2 / bw+20 / 10
3 / bw+20 / 10
4 / bw+20 / 5

Ok, that sucked, back to the ball I guess. Damn gym without a reverse hyper! :mad:

Lat Pulldown med grip, palms facing away from me
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10
4 / 135 / 8

Good sets here as well.

Decline Crunch
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 10 (arms straight up over head)
3 / bw / 5 (arms straight up over head) then 7 arms crossed
4 / bw / 8 twisting at the top

Pretty good. Ab's hurty.

Training Recap
I was happy with today, another PB :)

Pain/Soreness
Triceps are sore, calves still a little sore, my shoulders feel great though!

Diet
Still going :strong:

LATER,

NateDogg

bradley
03-07-2003, 03:11 AM
I agree in that I probably don't have all the facts about what is goin on overseas and that is why you just have to trust your elected officials to make the right decision. I for one am more worried about the nuclear threat from North Korea than I am of terrorism from Iraq. I have seen no proof of direct terror acts against the US from Iraq, but then again I am not the most well informed. I was in the Navy and the thought of war still frightens me even though I am no longer in the service. I just thing of all my buddies that will be overseas for extended periods of time. Just my .02

Nice wrokouts Nate. Good AM's seem to be coming along nicely:)

NateDogg
03-07-2003, 05:35 AM
Good input bradley. I agree with all that you said. It is refreshing to hear someone say that they do not know all the facts. Rather than just go on and on about things that they have heard from someone else. Don't get my wrong, I'm not a peacenik or however you spell that. I am tired of hearing from all the actors and actresses who have no more of a clue than you or I do, but feel they need to speak out for some reason.

Nice talking to you.

Thanks. :)

MonStar
03-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Nice good mornings ND. I am curious man why do you use a 3RM for your ME lifts rather than a 1RM? Any reason, or no?

NateDogg
03-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Nice good mornings ND. I am curious man why do you use a 3RM for your ME lifts rather than a 1RM? Any reason, or no?

Thanks, Mike.

3rm is just for GM's as that is what's suggested in the routine in my first post in this journal.

NateDogg
03-09-2003, 02:05 PM
March 9, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 34

General Comments
Went to work this morning just to get a little work done with no distractions, and have less to do next week. Project due Wednesday so that's what I was working on today.

Training

DE bench press

Explosive Push-ups
1 / bw / 3
2 / bw / 3
3 / bw / 3
4 / bw / 3
5 / bw / 3
6 / bw / 3
7 / bw / 3
8 / bw / 3

That was it. These were much easier on my shoulders and I feel still beneficial. I plan to stay with some variation of a "throw pushup," the smith machine throw benches, and maybe something I haven't thought of yet, for at least a little while.

JM Press
1 / 100 / 9
2 / 100 / 8
3 / 100 / 6
4 / 100 /

I really like this exercise.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 9.5f
3 / 70 / 8f
4 / 70 / 6

Good sets, failed twice by accident. I think I'll live though.

Cuban Rotation
1 / 20 / 15
2 / 20 / 15
3 / 20 / 15

Good sets here. As I am writing I remember that I neglected to do any internal rotation work. ARGH. Next time.

Cable Row Med-Grip, Palms in
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 9
4 / 135 / 7

Ok.

Machine Curl
1 / 50 / 18

I definitely did not go all out here. :hide:

Training Recap
Good workout all around.

Pain/Soreness
N/A :D
Diet
STILL going strong! :eek: <<<not a PB :eek:

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
03-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Pushups huh ND, interesting. Nice job on the JM presses by the way.

NateDogg
03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Pushups huh ND, interesting. Nice job on the JM presses by the way.

Thanks Mike, yeah, we'll see how the push-ups work out.

BTW, I ordered a band pack from elitefts today! I can't wait to get them!

galileo
03-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Heya Nate, long time no see. How've you been?

Workouts are looking good. 250 on the board press is ace!

NateDogg
03-12-2003, 06:26 AM
Heya Nate, long time no see. How've you been?

Workouts are looking good. 250 on the board press is ace!

What up galileo! I'm doing well, you? Nice to hear from you.

Thanks man! How's the cutting going? I thought I saw some trouble with it and a recent rededication to it?

galileo
03-12-2003, 08:23 AM
There wasn't really trouble except I was too lazy to go to the store and I missed my evening ALA/zinc too often. In two weeks I'm down about 4mm on the ab pinch and 5lbs. A little too much, but I suspect a bit is water/gastric emptying.

I just decided to make myself of a list of new things to do to make sure everything is going at 100%. Otherwise, the cut is going well enough for now. I have 10-12 weeks to go, so we'll see where it takes me.

PS: Add &goto=lastpost to the end of the link in your signature.

NateDogg
03-12-2003, 11:09 AM
There wasn't really trouble except I was too lazy to go to the store and I missed my evening ALA/zinc too often. In two weeks I'm down about 4mm on the ab pinch and 5lbs. A little too much, but I suspect a bit is water/gastric emptying.

***Sounds good.

I just decided to make myself of a list of new things to do to make sure everything is going at 100%. Otherwise, the cut is going well enough for now. I have 10-12 weeks to go, so we'll see where it takes me.

***That's a lot of time, good luck with it!

PS: Add &goto=lastpost to the end of the link in your signature.

***I think I got it, is this right?

DK
03-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Hey NateDogg, are you using the explosive push ups and smith throws to deal with shoulder pain? Do you think it is a good idea to throw in some of these exercises in place of regular speed bench?

NateDogg
03-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Hey NateDogg, are you using the explosive push ups and smith throws to deal with shoulder pain? Do you think it is a good idea to throw in some of these exercises in place of regular speed bench?

I am doing them to avoid what I think it causing the shoulder pain. I believe that regular speed benching, makes such an extremely quick deceleration following a quick acceleration has really given my shoulders a beating. The push-ups and smith throws have not caused the same issues so far. So, yeah, I think it's a good idea...so far.

NateDogg
03-12-2003, 06:48 PM
March 12, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 35

General Comments
N/A...me tired.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Conventional
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 185 / 2
3 / 185 / 2
4 / 185 / 2
5 / 185 / 2
6 / 185 / 2
7 / 185 / 2
8 / 185 / 2

Good sets. The biggest plate I used was a 35 so I could add that inch or so to the movement. I still suck of the ground, but these should help.

Good Mornings, straight leg
1 / 115 / 10
2 / 115 / 10
3 / 115 / 10
4 / 115 / 10
5 / 115 / 10

Good sets here as well. I was getting pretty deep. Feeling it alot in my erectors and hams.

Seated Calf Raise
1 / 85 / 20
2 / 110 / 8
3 / 110 / 9
4 / 110 / 8

Eh, whatever.

Seated Machine Crunch
1 / 60 / 20
2 / 80 / 8
3 / 80 / 8
4 / 80 / 8

These were killin' me. Last three sets done VERY slow.

Training Recap
Good workout overall.

Pain/Soreness
My right hip hurts a bit, not sure why. I think it may be that I slept on it funny a couple nights ago to avoid rolling over and squishing one of my cats. In all honesty, my body is looking forward to this coming time off. My last workout will be Friday 3/14, then I am planning on starting up again, and also possibly starting a half-assed cut for summer (anyone think it's too early?) I'm not going to full out cut, just eat a little less and see what happens. Anyway, starting up again Monday 3/23, so it's a little more than a week off, but I feel I need it. Hoefully I will also have my bands by then so I can start right in with those!!!

Diet
It's been excellent. A couple beers here and there (literally, no more than 2 beers a couple nights this week.

LATER,

NateDogg

galileo
03-14-2003, 10:58 AM
beer = teh s4t4n.

I'm excited to see the diff in the before/after maxes when you test again.

g0 n4t3!!

NateDogg
03-14-2003, 11:10 AM
beer = teh s4t4n.

I'm excited to see the diff in the before/after maxes when you test again.

g0 n4t3!!

:eek: tuttut :alcoholic

Me too, thanks!

NateDogg
03-15-2003, 10:31 AM
March 15, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 36

General Comments
Ah, what a day. Started it off with 10 minutes HIIT at 10 seconds on 30 seconds off intervals. I need to get back into cardio shape, well at least a little better than now. Probably just be lazy for the rest of the day. I get big into college basketball this time of year (I love the tournament) so I'll most likely be flipping between that and golf as well as the usual WBB and studying to figure out how we work :D I may hit the mall as well to visit my girlfriend at work and check out some fairway woods that are very on sale at the golf store. We'll see. As I have mentioned before I think, today marks the first day of my time off from lifting. I'll be back at it, hopefully with bands :thumbup: next Monday (3/24) which also happens to be my Mom's b-day :) Anyway...let's get to it...

Training

ME bench press

1 Board Press
1 / 45 / 15
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 225 / 1
6 / 240 / 1
7 / 250 / 1 :eek:

Another PB here. It's really strange that my 1 board press PB is now equal to my 2 board press PB. I guess it means that my weakness is even below where 1 board lands. Lats right?

JM Press
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 100 / 8

Much tightness in my forearms here. I decided I had had enough of it after 2 sets. With these it's either a great bunch of sets with no problems at all, or a few painful sets where my elbows, forearms and shoulders all are bothered. I'm still trying to figure out why this happens.

Mr. SF's "Bench of Death"
1 / 95 / 30

This was a poor showing to say the least. SF, I have the utmost respect for what you can do with half your max or so...that is truly amazing, especially now that I've made a similar attempt and came up WAY short. This definitely gives me something else to try to improve on.

Cable Lat Raise
1 / 25 / 12
2 / 25 / 12
3 / 25 / 12
4 / 25 / 12

Good sets, no problems.

Wide Grip Pull-down
1 / 130 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 130 / 9
4 / 130 / 8

Good sets here as well. I did start out WAY too wide and had to bring it in just a bit though.

DB Curl
1 / 40 / 8
2 / 45 / 5

Yeah, anway...

Training Recap
This was it, I go into my "week" off on a good note. I very much look forward to the rest, but I'll miss it a lot.

Pain/Soreness
Calves a little sore, bi's a little sore, chest a little sore and hams still a little sore...that's all...lol

Diet
Still going strong. I am going to try to determine my BMR today or tomorrow so I can work on losing a little fat in the coming weeks.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
03-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Damn your doing some sweet work with the westside going on :)

The board presses are really impressing me :), a question on the push-ups, what kind of rest intervals were you having? under 60secs or over? (jus interested)

Hows the shoulder feeling? have you had it checked by anyone? i wouldnt want you to do anymore harm than needed like i did (worst decision so far in my weight-training life) its starting to buck its ideas up know, but then again i havent trained my upper body for 2 months! damn i bet my strength is back to square 1.

later nate, keep it strong fella

B-R

NateDogg
03-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks Big Ron,

On the push-ups, and really any of my DE exercises, rest periods are all around 60 seconds.

My shoulders feel really good right now. I am hoping that this time off will help me get all the way back to 100%

Thanks again bro :D

MonStar
03-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Nice work on the board presses ND, 250 is damn impressive in my book. I am confused about your cable lat raises though, what are they again? Just cable side-laterals?

NateDogg
03-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Nice work on the board presses ND, 250 is damn impressive in my book. I am confused about your cable lat raises though, what are they again? Just cable side-laterals?

Thanks Mike. Yeah, they're just cable side-laterals.

DK
03-18-2003, 08:14 PM
What is the Bench of Death thing you did on Saturday? Is that something Saturday Fever made up? What is it for?

NateDogg
03-19-2003, 05:28 AM
SF did a whole boatload of reps with 135 a while back. I knew I couldn't get much with that, so I tried it with 95. It's just a way to inflict pain really. :D Nah, I guess it's a good way to shock :eek: push muscles though. I did it just to see what I could do :)

NateDogg
03-19-2003, 04:58 PM
On another note...I picked the absolute best week ever to take off. I have been working 10+ hour days all week, stressed out as hell at work, eating like $hit because I am trying to get that one last thing done before I go and eat and by then it's been 6 hours since I ate last....Wow, I can't wait to get back, but I don't think I would have gotten there this week anyway.

I did get my bands a couple days ago...kick ass!!!!

NateDogg
03-24-2003, 07:20 PM
March 24, 2003

WEIGHT:190

A Westside Odyssey...Day 37

General Comments
Wow...I really never planned on getting in all the war debates, but I guess I did. My feelings are just so incredibly strong, it was tearing me up inside so I had to speak my mind. I really owe a lot to all of you who have submitted intelligent debate on either side as I have learned so much. The biggest thing I have taken from this board to date is to question everything, and try to hear opinions from as many sources as possible. Anyway, on with it!

Training

ME sq/dl

Rack Pulls
1 / 135 / 5
2 / 225 / 3
3 / 275 / 1
4 / 315 / 1
5 / 400 / 1 (belted) :eek:
6 / 410 / 1 (belted) :eek:

Yeah baby, once 400 (and even 410) got off the rack, they shot up! It was awesome. I was feeling quite light-headed though and was afraid I was going to shoot an eyeball out of my head if I went higher so that was the last attempt for today. More on that later with a question...

Hang Cleans
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 115 / 9
3 / 95 / 10
4 / 95 / 7

First time I had done these. Just to make sure I have the right name for the right movement. A hang clean is where you hold the weight like you would a shrug or deadlift (only both hands facing towards you) and you perform a quick upright row type movement, followed by a quick flick of the wrists for lack of a better term, to get under the bar (with the bar at about shoulder level). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Cable Row (med-grip, palms in)
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 7.5f
4 / 135 / 6.5f

Eh...whatever

High Pulley AB Crunch
1 / 190 / 20
2 / 190 / 12
3 / 190 / 10
4 / 190 / 10

Not bad. My low back was really fatigued from the rack pulls so I lowered number of reps so's not to strain it as I really felt it taking over as my abs tired.

Training Recap
Great way to get back into it overall. Now my question. When holding my breath during rack pulls, squats, deads, etc, I often get not severe, but headaches, and a little eye pain from the pressure does everyone else get this? Am I possibly holding my breath wrong? TIA.

Pain/Soreness
N/A

Diet
Yup...well...I said I was going to do it and by golly, I'm going to do it. I set up a spreadsheet today to track my caloric intake on and macronutrient breakdowns for the forseeable future (read: probably until summer). After that (read: mid-summer, early fall) I will eat like I have never eaten before.

As you can see I have added "weight" near the top of my entry. I was actually a little dumbfounded that it was 190. I will weigh myself in the same attire (and then compensate when I change from sweatpants to shorts) same time, and always after my workout so it's won't be everyday. I'm going for change here, not a certain weight. Actually, I couldn't care less about losing weight, I just want to lose some fat. I'm not averse to muscle gain. (sp?) I'm just keeping track of the weight mostly to make sure I'm not losing more than 1 - 1.5 lbs per week.

LATER,

NateDogg

bradley
03-25-2003, 03:41 AM
Nice work on the rack pulls Nate:thumbup: I know this doesn't answer your question but I was watching a powerlifting event the other day at lunch on ESPN and this guy was about to attempt a 920lb squat. I have to mention that he only weighed in at 260lbs. I believe. Anyway he was straining so hard that it popped a blood vessel in his nose. Although he did complete the squat. Just thought i would throw that out there;) Glad to see you back a the weights.

NateDogg
03-25-2003, 06:51 AM
Nice work on the rack pulls Nate:thumbup: I know this doesn't answer your question but I was watching a powerlifting event the other day at lunch on ESPN and this guy was about to attempt a 920lb squat. I have to mention that he only weighed in at 260lbs. I believe. Anyway he was straining so hard that it popped a blood vessel in his nose. Although he did complete the squat. Just thought i would throw that out there;) Glad to see you back a the weights.

Oh boy, that is not helping!!!! ;)

NateDogg
03-28-2003, 04:45 PM
March 25, 2003

Weight: 195 :confused:

A Westside Odyssey...Day 38

General Comments
Back to my hometown for the weekend. Happy B-day to my Mom.

Training

DE bench press

Explosive Smith Machine Throw
1 / 50 / 10
2 / 100 / 3
3 / 100 / 3
4 / 100 / 3
5 / 100 / 3
6 / 100 / 3
7 / 100 / 3
8 / 100 / 3

Well, these were good, but it sounds like the kaybash (sp?) has been put on this movement. Apparently the gym "frowns on throwing the bar up like that." :rolleyes: So rather than be the dick, I'm just going to find something else to do.

OH Tricep Extension
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 80 / 5
3 / 80 / 5
4 / 80 / 4

Great sets.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 8
2 / 65 / 7.5f
3 / 65 / 6.5f
4 / 60 / 7

Good sets, failed twice by accident. I think I'll live though.

DB Front Raise
1 / 22.5 / 12
2 / 25 / 10
3 / 22.5 / 10

Good sets here.

No lats, still way sore from yesterday.

BB Curl
1 / 110 / 1.5f
2 / 70 / 7
3 / 30 / 12

Drop set, ouch.

Training Recap
Good workout all around.

Pain/Soreness

Diet
STILL going strong! That weight gain HAS to be water.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
03-28-2003, 04:52 PM
March 28, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 39

General Comments
N/A...me tired.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Sumo
1 / 135 / 3
2 / 205 / 3
3 / 205 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 205 / 3
6 / 205 / 3
7 / 225 / 3
8 / 225 / 3

These were great. I am so much more comfortable in sumo style.

1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10
4 / 135 / 10

Oh man, these were awesome. Really hurty.

Leg Raise
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 12
3 / bw / 12
4 / bw / 12

Eh, whatever.

Calves on Nautilus Leg Press
1 / 350 / 12
2 / 350 / 12
3 / 350 / 12

Ouch.

Training Recap
Good workout overall.

Pain/Soreness
Tri's still sore, chest a little sore, but that's it!

Diet
Still doing pretty well. I do not have that much fat on me to get rid of, so I can be a little lax once in a while and it won't hurt me too much as I am starting what I feel is early for Summer.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
03-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Great combination with deads and good mornings. I love that combination in a workout. Being tired after deads makes me focus on form a lot more for the good mornings and seems to help me push them harder.

NateDogg
03-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks SF, I totally agree

NateDogg
03-30-2003, 03:32 PM
March 30, 2003

Weight: N/A

A Westside Odyssey...Day 40

General Comments
Great weekend with my family. Went out last night and had a few beers with my bro, his girl and my girl. Played some poo;. I suck. Had a great time though.

Training

ME bench press

1 Board Press
1 / 45 / 20
2 / 135 / 3
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 225 / 1
6 / 250 / 1
7 / 260 / miss
8 / 255 / miss
9 / 255 / miss

I was just totally exhausted after the attempt at 260. I was happy to reach my PB, but could not set a new one today.

OH DB Extension
1 / 70 / 8
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 70 / 7
4 / 70 / 6.5f

Very good sets.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 10
4 / 60 / 9

Eh.

DB Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 10
3 / 22.5 / 10

Good sets, no problems.

1 Arm Cable Row
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 75 / 8
3 / 75 / 7
4 / 75 / 6

Very tough sets here.

BB Curl
1 / 80 / 8

Whatever, I was waaaay not into these.

Training Recap
Again, happy to match a PB, pi$$ed I couldn't break it. Anyway, I did get to try out my bands (doubled-mini's) when I was done. I just wanted to get a feel for them for next time. I have the set-up down pretty good now. I also have a good feel for how they are going to affect the movement. I was real wobbly doing just the bar and doubled-mini's, but went up to 115 plus doubled-mini's and was much better. Should really help my tri / lockout strength...and they were fun as hell to use!

Pain/Soreness
My entire posterior chain is sore.

Diet
Quite $hitty especially later on in the weekend, back at it tomorrow though.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
04-02-2003, 07:05 PM
April 2, 2003

WEIGHT:193

A Westside Odyssey...Day 41

General Comments
Well, I just found out recently that I am flying to North Carolina for work. I'm pretty excited to be going. Other than that, not much news. The search for a fitting domicile continues. BTW, anyone know any good realtors in the Central Mass area?

Training

ME sq/dl

Squat
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 4
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 225 / 1
5 / 275 / 1 (belted)
6 / 300 / 1 (belted) :eek:
7 / 315 / miss (belted)

Pretty happy with this. I finally broke 275, which was great. 300 was really slow going up and 315 was just kinda dumb to try, but I had to take a shot at it.

Pull-Throughs
1 / 190 / 10
2 / 190 / 10
3 / 190 / 10
4 / 190 / 10

Good strong sets here.

Lat Pull-down (med-grip)
1 / 140 / 10
2 / 140 / 10
3 / 140 / 10
4 / 140 / 7

Good sets here as well, very short rests.

Swiss-Ball Crunch weighted by cable
1 / bw+30 / 20
2 / bw+50 / 8
3 / bw+50 / 7
4 / bw+50 / 7

Ouch.

Training Recap
Good workout time to go have my shake and watch West Wing.

Pain/Soreness
Calves, hammies, chest, tri's

Diet
Eh, I've kinda slacked on writing down my diet, it has been good, but not sure at how many cals. I may just not be fat enough to care :D

LATER,

NateDogg

bradley
04-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Nice work on the squat Nate:thumbup:

Coke
04-03-2003, 06:54 AM
:hello: Just wanted to drop in and say hi Dogg.

NateDogg
04-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks bradley. :)

Hey Cocoa, what up?

NateDogg
04-05-2003, 03:36 PM
April 05, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 42

General Comments
Went to the gym this morning, then went to meet my parents and get my suitcase for my upcoming trip. Had a great lunch (shrimp scampi made with olive oil, not butter or cream sauce :drooling: ). Just chillin' out for the rest of the day. I might go and visit Nicole at the mall later (she's a clothing store manager).

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench with Doubled Mini Bands
1 / 45 / 12 (no bands on this one)
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 95 / 3
4 / 95 / 3
5 / 95 / 3
6 / 95 / 3
7 / 135 / 3
8 / 185 / 1 (had a slight spot, although I think I would have gotten it anway).

Now, IMO, this is a great way to avoid or at least lessen the work my shoulders have to do to slow the bar down at the top of the movement. While still have a relatively low weight at the top of the movement. I've yet to venture into other Westsider's journals to check out who else uses bands on DE bench day. Anyone have any opinions? I tell ya, if nothing else, bands make Westside even that much more fun...which I though impossible!

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 80 / 8.5f
3 / 80 / 7

Good sets here. Nicole and I were in a bit of a hurry, so you'll see lower volume than usual today.

Elbows-out Skulls
1 / 75 / 7
2 / 75 / 6
3 / 75 / 6

These were awesome. I had not done them for a little while.

DB Pullovers on Swiss-Ball
1 / 65 / 9
2 / 60 / 8
3 / 60 / 8
4 / 60 / 8

65 was a wee bit heavy to work with after doing tri's, so I lowered it and did better. Not rep wise, but form wise. I was able to keep my arms more straight.

Machine Curl
1 / 90 / 10
2 / 90 / 7
3 / 90 / 7

Good sets here.

Training Recap
Anyone, the bands...anyone? Bueller? Anyone? :D

Pain/Soreness
My quads feel like they are going to rip off my legs. I'm not sure why because I didn't think I was using them that much with my squat form. I guess I have to keep working on that. SIT BACK DAMMIT!!!!

Diet
Eh...I am going to not monitor my diet closely and just try to eat less by feel. Stop before I am stuffed, things like that. I'll see how that goes. I don't eat "bad" food, I just tend to eat a lot of pretty healthy food. ;)

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
04-15-2003, 06:23 PM
You still alive, amigo?

NateDogg
04-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm here. Thanks for asking. :D I actually lifted for the first time in 2 weeks today. I did a little moderate squatting, benching and some tri's. Sunday I am going to do some deadlifting, back and bi's. The trip to NC was extended to the point where I just got home yesterday for the first time since April 7th I think...and I'm going back there on Monday for what I believe will be at least all of next week. Needless to say, I did not lift at all while down there. I hate to make excuses, but the hours and the situation just are not conducive to lifting. I am going to do better next week. Especially with eating. Less beer, more meals, less below healthy food. I'm a little frustrated with myself for slacking off, but then I think of how I usually am and where I will be right back to when this is over and I feel better. I do plan on using the rinky-dink gym at the hotel as much as possible when I get back down there on Monday. I am having a good time though.

Silverback
04-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Lucky boy, i was just about to come and spam ur journal.

You'll get back into it bro no doubt its only been a few weeks anyway, the rest will have done you good. Although the beerstuttut

glad to have you back Nate, what you bin doing anyhow? out special?

NateDogg
04-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks B-R, I am a little fatter and WAY too used to eating a lot of expensive food for free, but I'll get used to it I guess.

Ok, I am back in good old New England, and actually scheduled to stay here for a little bit anyway. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow after playin' 18 holes in the morning. I just got a new putter the other day and have not gotten to hit it yet (other than at the store) so I'm all excited.

NateDogg
04-29-2003, 06:52 PM
April 29, 2003

WEIGHT: N/A

A Westside Odyssey...Day 43

General Comments
Ok, I'm back for real now. I actually went to the gym tonight. I was going to go last night, but a successful meeting with a mortgage broker got in the way. By successful, I mean we made progress towards buying a house and got our credit reports cleaned up at the same time. There were a few things on there that weren't mine, and now they're gone. Kick a$$. I have yet to hear any mention of me travelling back to NC, so I'm rooted in for the time being. Glad to be back, and on routine. Here goes...
Training

ME sq/dl

Rack Pulls
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 225 / 3
4 / 275 / 3
5 / 315 / 1
6 / 410 / 1 (belted)

Oh dear, not good. My grip was definitely the biggest problem. Do you lose that first? lol. Seriously though, no worries, I'm just glad to be back for now.

Good Mornings
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10
4 / 135 / 10

Good strong sets here. I still have to use the pad, or SEVERE pain in my spine area persists for weeks after doing these. I'm still tweeking where to put the bar to avoid the pad, but for now, it's a must. :(

Lat Pull-down (med-grip)
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 125 / 9

My endurance is not where it needs to be for me to be happy.

Decline Bench Crunch
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 8
3 / bw / 8

Again, just poor endurance.

Training Recap
Once again, mostly just good to be back in the swing of things. I must partially use the excuse that my alergies were the absolute worst they have ever been today. I am exhausted simply from sneezing and my nose is bright red and very sore. Argh. I may try some drugs tomorrow, but my experience with them is that regular stuff knocks me out and non-drowsy is useless. We'll see. I'm certainly taking some tonight though.

Pain/Soreness
Um...none.

Diet
Not good at all over the past three weeks. Much better today though. My g/f says I haven't gained much fat at all. I feel differently though and most likely will start throwing some HIIT in there. I can't wait until Fall so I can eat everything in sight.
LATER,

NateDogg

bradley
04-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Good to see you back at it:)

Drugs are bad...so I am told;)

NateDogg
04-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks bradley. I'm actually not sneezing nearly as much today so I may just make it without the drugs. :D

NateDogg
05-01-2003, 07:25 PM
May 1, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 44

General Comments
What a beautiful week it has been weather wise. My parents are coming out this weekend to visit. They're actually biking (pedal bikes) out here from home. It's about 70 miles I'd guess. It'll be good to see them. I'll hopefully get some golf in this weekend as well.

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench with Doubled Mini's
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 95 / 3
4 / 95 / 3
5 / 95 / 3
6 / 95 / 3
7 / 175 / no spot so just locked out and held it

Good sets here. I wish I had a spot so I could have tried a rep with 175 to see where I'm at, but I think I may have missed it after the layoff anyway.

OH Tricep Extension
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 70 / 7
3 / 70 / 6.5f
4 / 70 / 6

Pretty good here. My elbows hurt a little on the first couple sets, but then were ok.

Cable Push-Downs
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 65 / 8
3 / 65 / 9
4 / 60 / 6
5 / 60 / 3

I am going to drop these for a bit, they seem to not be doing anything for me. I think I'll throw elbows out skulls in there each time in place of these for a bit. Very, very little rest between these sets, 45 seconds tops and that was only done once.

Cuban Rotations
1 / 20 / 15
2 / 20 / 15
3 / 20 / 15

Good sets here.

No lats, still way sore from yesterday.

BB Curl
1 / 80 / 10
2 / 80 / 5
3 / 80 / 5

Training Recap
Another one just getting back into.

Pain/Soreness
Lats sore, hams really sore.

Diet
It's been really good the past couple days.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
05-05-2003, 07:10 PM
May 3, 2003

WEIGHT: 194.5...Eh.

A Westside Odyssey...Day 45

General Comments
N/A...got two to enter tonight.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Sumo
1 / 205 / 3
2 / 205 / 3
3 / 205 / 3
4 / 205 / 3
5 / 205 / 3
6 / 205 / 3
7 / 205 / 3
8 / 205 / 3

Tough as hell. I feel my speed was better even with a little more weight than last time The biggest plate I used was a 35 so I could add that inch or so to the movement.

1 / 135 / 10

Yeah, that was enough of these for today. My posterior chain was very unhappy with me, so...

Hyperextensions
1 / bw / 10
2 / bw / 10
3 / bw / 10
4 / bw / 10

Slightly less difficult than the GM's were. These actually felt real good.

Close Grip Row
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 9
4 / 135 / 7f

Great sets here. Excellent squeezeses.

Swiss-Ball Crunch
1 / 20
2 / 10
3 / 8

Owey.

Training Recap
Really good/exhausting workout. Very short rest periods all around. I feel today that I truly started to get back into it.

Pain/Soreness
Hams, tri's

Diet
Really good the last few days. Only hiccup was a couple beers and some fried jalepeno peppers when my parents came out to visit.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
May 5, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 46

General Comments
Well, Mom and Dad made it out here and made it back just fine. Nicole and I had a great time with them out here. We went and looked at 5 or 6 houses and found three that we liked. Plus I found another one today that we want to go and look at. We are actually going to go inside the houses we liked on Wednesday with our realtor. It's a very exciting time for us.

Training

ME bench press

2 Board Press w/ doubled mini's
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 155 / 3
5 / 185 / miss
6 / 185 / miss

These were really good sets. This is the first time I have used my bands on ME day. I did complete the 185 reps, but I had to have a VERY slight spot on both so they don't count. I will get it next time. I was that close.

Elbows-out Skulls
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 9
3 / 70 / 7
4 / 70 / 7

Very good sets. Very short rest periods. These will certainly be a good at least temporary replacement for Tri pushdowns.

Dips
1 / bw / 8
2 / bw / 7.5f
3 / bw / 6.5f
4 / bw / 7

Wow, these were very hard. Tri's were dead.

DB Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 15
2 / 20 / 12
3 / 20 / 12

Good sets here, strict.

1 Arm DB Row
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 10
3 / 70 / 8

These were tough as well. My back was bothering me a little keeping myself stable on these.

BB Curl
1 / 70 / 8

I had absolutely nothing left.

Training Recap
I am officially back today. This was the first workout where I was totallly into it and felt like I was back where I belong. Now on to progress!!!!

Pain/Soreness
Hams still, tri's

Diet
See last entry, pretty much the same as I got a little ahead of myself. That was supposed to be here.

LATER,

NateDogg

Alke
05-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey just checkin out the journal :D

How you like westside so far? I dont know if I can handle those good morning thingy's, but I wouldnt mind trying some of the other westside stuff, like board presses. Those look like fun :D

NateDogg
05-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Kenn
Hey just checkin out the journal :D

How you like westside so far? I dont know if I can handle those good morning thingy's, but I wouldnt mind trying some of the other westside stuff, like board presses. Those look like fun :D

It's kickin' my ass the workouts are quite long, but I love it! Thanks for stopping by!

NateDogg
05-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, ME sq/dl tonight. I'm psyched to get to the gym. We put a bid in on a house today that we really liked. I just heard before I left work for the night that we lost it. We went in 10,000 under and someone else went in at the exact same time at the asking price. So...back to the drawing board! Damn, houses are absolutely flying off the market around here!

heathj
05-09-2003, 09:16 PM
So teh back is ace now? My leg/back/glute whatever the f*ck it is, is almost healed. Physical therapy is ace. :thumbup:

NateDogg
05-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by heathj
So teh back is ace now? My leg/back/glute whatever the f*ck it is, is almost healed. Physical therapy is ace. :thumbup:

Glad to hear it heath! Yeah, mine is nearly 100%. I think I'm more careful with it now form wise, but it almost never bothers me. The only time it does bother me is when I'm golfing, and that goes away shortly after a round.

NateDogg
05-10-2003, 12:57 PM
May 9, 2003

WEIGHT:N/A

A Westside Odyssey...Day 47

General Comments
Well, I've just about gotten over the fact that we didn't get the house we wanted. I think moreso than losing the house we wanted, we now have to start looking again. We haven't been looking that long, but I'm a "Type A" personality for sure...so I want a house...NOW! Oh well, this has all been great experience so far.
Training

ME sq/dl

GM's
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 95 / 7
3 / 135 / 5
4 / 185 / 3
5 / 205 / 3 :eek:
6 / 135 / 8

Good PB here.

DEEP Squats
1 / 185 / 10
2 / 185 / 10
3 / 185 / 10

These absolutely killed my legs, ass and back.

Lat Pull-down (close-grip)
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 165 / 8
3 / 155 / 7
4 / 155 / 5

Swiss-Ball Crunch
1 / bw / 12
2 / bw / 12
3 / bw / 12

Ouch.

Training Recap
Took out some frustration with this one. I'm paying for it today (5/10)...

Pain/Soreness
Oh boy, glutes, quads, hams, posterior chain...really sore.

Diet
It's been quite good lately really. We've been eating out alot, but I usually forder healthy stuff. We just have to eat out less due to the cost factor.

LATER,

NateDogg

heathj
05-10-2003, 01:07 PM

Glad to hear it heath! Yeah, mine is nearly 100%. I think I'm more careful with it now form wise, but it almost never bothers me. The only time it does bother me is when I'm golfing, and that goes away shortly after a round.

Good to hear...If you think about it positively like that, it's almost a good thing to get injured, as long as it can be healed. Makes you pay more attention to form and making sure you're doing everything right, as to not f*ck yourself up again. Maybe it'll help us make insane gains now, with perfect form? :D

NateDogg
05-10-2003, 05:05 PM
I'll buy that. :D It certainly lessens the feeling of invincibility that many of us "younger" guys have.

DK
05-12-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by heathj

Good to hear...If you think about it positively like that, it's almost a good thing to get injured, as long as it can be healed. Makes you pay more attention to form and making sure you're doing everything right, as to not f*ck yourself up again. Maybe it'll help us make insane gains now, with perfect form? :D

Hey ND, what did you do for your back? Did you just take it easy or did you do some some light work or what?

NateDogg
05-12-2003, 09:10 AM

Hey ND, what did you do for your back? Did you just take it easy or did you do some some light work or what?

I had a sacroiliac strain. I got some physical therapy, then took it easy for a few weeks. I was still lifting, just much lighter. Since then (that was last November or so if I remember right) I have been training Westside, which of course revolves substantially around having a strong back and core in general to support the major lifts. I believe this training, along with being much more strict with my form has helped me immensely (sp?).

NateDogg
05-12-2003, 02:52 PM
May 12, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 48

General Comments
Nicole and I lifted back in my hometown this morning. Great workout. We were home visiting family for Mother's Day and my Gram's birthday. Had a great time. I am lucky to have such a great, healthy and close family!

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench with Doubled Mini Bands
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 95 / 3
3 / 105 / 3
4 / 105 / 3
5 / 105 / 3
6 / 135 / 1
7 / 185 / miss, see below
8 / 45 / 1

well, these were quite difficult. The bench at my gym back in my hometown is higher than the one at my current gym. It really made these quite difficult and the 185 attempt a laugher.

Elbows Out Skulls
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 75 / 7
3 / 75 / 7
4 / 75 / 7

I was quite happy with these. I really like them with elbows out.

JM Press
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 95 / 9
3 / 95 / 8
4 / 95 / 8

These were awesome. I had not done them for a little while.

DB Pullovers on Swiss-Ball
1 / 55 / 10
2 / 55 / 10
3 / 55 / 10
4 / 55 / 9

Good strict form, really hurt.

I threw in a couple sets of biceps curls at the end with two of those surgical tubing bands really stretched out.

Training Recap
Like I said before, great workout.

Pain/Soreness
Oh man, my quads are STILL killing me! Also sore now is my right hip. My Dad has had some hip problems and he showed me some stretches and stuff I can do. I may also request a swiss-ball to sit on as my chair at work.

Diet
I actually did pretty well this past weekend. Especially considering that we had a birthday/Mother's Day party. I am actually starting to get a little upset about how I look, so I am going to find a way to add some HIIT into my routine. If even only on weekends or something.

LATER,

NateDogg

bradley
05-12-2003, 04:40 PM
I actually did pretty well this past weekend. Especially considering that we had a birthday/Mother's Day party. I am actually starting to get a little upset about how I look, so I am going to find a way to add some HIIT into my routine. If even only on weekends or something.

Yeah I know how you feel. I think I am going to have to start cutting, unfortunately:(

You seem to have an in shape family as well. That must have been some bike ride for your parents. Do they compete in races or anything?

Looks like you are getting back into the routine nicely:thumbup:

galileo
05-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Totally.

NateDogg
05-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, they are in excellent shape. They compete in many triathlons, marathons and I do adventure races with them. They have never done a bike only race though. It's really great to have very fitness oriented parents.

NateDogg
05-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Well, no workout tonight. My hips, right and left now, really hurt. I have to look into what's going on there. Some big news though! Nicole and I bought a house today! Pending inspection of course. We are really excited. Lots of stuff to do now in as short a time as possible. I cannot wait to be relieved of paying rent and getting nothing back for it.

Time to go and research what's up with my hips. Any ideas anyone? Any of you other Westside guys get hip pain? I'm figuring it's from squatting like a powerlifter and doing GM's with a huge emphasis on hips back, hips forward. Anyone have any ideas for treatment?

NateDogg
05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
May 15, 2003

WEIGHT:

A Westside Odyssey...Day 49

General Comments
We took the next step in buying the house tonight. Signed some of the initial papers and set up a tentative date to have it inspected.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squat, Reebok step with 5 "blocks" per side
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 2
3 / 135 / 2
4 / 135 / 2
5 / 135 / 2
6 / 135 / 2
7 / 135 / 3
8 / 185 / 3
9 / 225 / 2
10 / 225 / 2

It was great to do these again after it has been quite some time. Good speed, felt strong. My hips felt fine for the most part. I moved my stance in just a bit. That might have helped.

Hyper-extensions
1 / bw+35 / 10
2 / bw+35 / 10
3 / bw+35 / 10
4 / bw+35 / 10

Holy $hit, these are very tough when done correctly, huh? My hams were screaming during the last couple sets!

Chest Supported Row
1 / 90 / 10
2 / 90 / 9
3 / 90 / 7
4 / 90 / 7

Good to get back to these again as well.

Training Recap
Good workout.

Pain/Soreness
Tri's a little sore, chest sore, my right hip still hurts a bit, but is recovering it seems. Maybe I just need to get back into the swing of things still. Moving my stance in a bit did seem to help though.

Diet
Still going quite strong.

LATER,

NateDogg

galileo
05-15-2003, 08:12 PM
I once lost myself.

...once.

NateDogg
05-17-2003, 11:24 AM
May 17, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 50 :eek:

General Comments
The Red Sox are back on Fox television today! Kick a$$! We don't have cable here at my house, so I only get to watch them when they are on channels our antenna gets. We'll probably get cable when we move. Mostly because I miss hockey. :(

Training

ME bench press

Incline Press
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 115 / 5
3 / 135 / 3
4 / 155 / 3
5 / 185 / miss
6 / 185 / miss
7 / 185 / miss

Argh, I hate incline press and I really suck at it.

Elbows-out Skulls
1 / 75 / 10
2 / 75 / 9
3 / 75 / 8
4 / 75 / 8

Very good sets. Very short rest periods.

Tri-Pushdowns
1 / 55 / 10
2 / 55 / 10
3 / 55 / 10
4 / 55 / 10

I figured I would lower the weight a bit and give these another shot, slowing the reps down and using better form. I don't hate them now.

Pull-Ups
1 / bw / 8
2 / bw / 5
3 / bw / 4
4 / bw / 3.5f

Fat a$$.

DB Lat Raise
1 / 15 / 15
2 / 15 / 15
3 / 15 / 15

Nearly non-existant rest periods here. My shoulders were really killed by these.

Training Recap
Good workout.

Pain/Soreness
Hams a little sore, that's it though.

Diet
I'll be home all day today so it should be pretty good again.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
05-19-2003, 07:32 PM
May 19, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 51

General Comments
Wow, what a contrast and lesson in what lifting can do for you all in one day. I had a $hitty day at work today, nothing went right, I got a salad with half rotten veggies in it, had a stomach ache and headache most of the day. I got home, put my gym stuff on, but never really felt that I had planned on going. Well, I sucked it up and went, and it certainly paid off. My day, general feeling and attituted turned 180 degrees. Ok, enough of the corniness...
Training

ME sq/dl

Sumo Deads
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 185 / 3
4 / 225 / 3
5 / 315 / 1
6 / 365 / 1 :eek: (belted)
7 / 400 / miss (grip failed) (belted)
8 / 400 / miss (tired) (belted)

:swear: Well, I ordered chalk at www.ironmind.com today with this lift in mind, and I certainly could have used it tonight. I had the first attempt at 400 off the floor and up pretty quickly, but had the quickest vision of the bar slipping out of my ever-opening grip and breaking both of my knee-caps on the way down and I just could not lock it out after that. Hurry Chalk...HURRY!!!!

Glute/Ham/Calf Raise
1 / bw / 9.5f
2 / bw / 8
3 / bw / 7 + 1 negative
4 / bw / 6 + 1 negative
5 / bw / 5 + 1 negative

Great to get back to these.

Lat Pull-down (close-grip)
1 / 150 / 11
2 / 150 / 8
3 / 150 / 6

Decline Crunches
1 / bw / 20
2 / bw / 20
3 / bw / 20

Great sets, really hit the abbies hard.

Training Recap
Great workout, like I said, a turning point in the day.

Pain/Soreness
Tri's a little sore, lats a little sore, nother major though.

Diet
Wow, I think I had about 2000 calories today. NOT GOOD, but nothing I can do about it now other than go have my shake and make up some grub for tomorrow...

LATER,

NateDogg

Alke
05-19-2003, 09:08 PM
I always have a vision of my feet slipping and me doing a full split with the BB pulling me to the floor on a sumo LOL thats why I do them inside the squat rack with my feet braced against the sides of the cage....funny how the mind works

I havent used chalk yet, (course I amnot hitting 400 yet), does chalk really help that much on slippage? Is it different for everyone when they need it as far as poundages go on the dead?
I dont sweat very much, so is that a factor?

NateDogg
05-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Hey Kenn,

What kind of shoes are you deadlifting in? I always use my Chucks and I never have the feeling of my feet slipping out. I see your point though, just that one moment and your F**ked.

I'll let you know on the chalk. I'm banking on it helping at least a little. I'm not sure how much difference the amount of sweat would make. Others would be able to help you more on that for now I'm sure.

Thanks for dropping by!

DK
05-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Glute/Ham/Calf Raise
1 / bw / 9.5f
2 / bw / 8
3 / bw / 7 + 1 negative
4 / bw / 6 + 1 negative
5 / bw / 5 + 1 negative

Hey ND, how do you do these? Do you have a glute ham raise or do you do them some other way?

The chalk should help you significantly. I've failed with reps of six, used chalk and got it even when my hands weren't sweaty. It just really helps get a good grip on the bar.

NateDogg
05-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Hey DK. I can try to find some video for you, but I do the GHR on a swiss ball, with my feet anchored under the "spotter stand" if you will, on the back of an incline bench. They are insane on the hammies!

That's good to know about the chalk...400 WILL BE MINE!

DK
05-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for describing the lift, but I don't think I could do it in my gym. It's pretty packed. I don't think there is enough room behind any of the spotter's platforms for a swiss ball.