PDA

View Full Version : Strange Phenomenon

FrusWeighted
12-27-2002, 03:54 PM
I usually eat a low carb, high protein diet. Sometimes when I've been on one for a long time then go all out and eat crazy amounts of carbs and sugary stuff and various other types of garbage food, something strange will happen...

After a day or two of carb loading, I get this weird, almost painlike feeling in what feels like where my fat layer and muscle layer "meet" underneath the skin. It almost feels like how a bruise feels. Tender, kind of sore feeling. Like when I hop down steps, I can feel some flab on my belly jiggle and it feels like it's "pulling" or something, like I can actually feel where it's hanging on my body. What is up with this? Is this a common thing? What causes this to happen?

I can feel it in my stomach, the backs of my arms, my ribs, etc...

It's not excruciating or anything, but I can "feel" where my fat "connects" and moves around on my muscle layer. Strange?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-27-2002, 08:20 PM
I have had the same feeling. Usually the day after a cheat day when i used to have them. I know exactly what you mean when you say "bruising". The fat itself feels tender and sore to touch under the skin.

I've never been quite sure, but i imagine it is related to fat cell metabolism and spilling over.

Wizard
12-27-2002, 09:45 PM
It's not the fat, it's the extra water that is stored in your muscles (3-4 grams of water is stored in every gram of glycogen) and creates that feeling. First, you deplete your muscle glycogen stores by exercising and consuming a low-carbohydrate diet. This enhances the re-synthesis of glycogen. The body stores as much glycogen as it can to compensate for the low carbohydrate consumption levels. The muscles and liver overcompensate, storing levels higher than normal.

Stray
12-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Maybe it's a too-mah.

FrusWeighted
12-28-2002, 08:20 AM
It's not a too-mah.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
It's not the fat, it's the extra water that is stored in your muscles (3-4 grams of water is stored in every gram of glycogen) and creates that feeling. First, you deplete your muscle glycogen stores by exercising and consuming a low-carbohydrate diet. This enhances the re-synthesis of glycogen. The body stores as much glycogen as it can to compensate for the low carbohydrate consumption levels. The muscles and liver overcompensate, storing levels higher than normal.

John, we're talking about the fat itself hurting, not the muscle underneath.

And i've had the feeling regardless of a low carb diet.

You may be right, but i'm not sure.

Ritzol
02-13-2007, 10:56 AM
omg! Now I don't feel like a freak anymore... so did anyone ever come up with a conclusion as to what causes this??