PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of havin' a Cheat Day???

Miss Rezza
12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Is there really any benefits gained by allowing yourself to have a cheat day???

I mean physcologically it never makes me feel any better.... pretty much just makes me feel like a fat git!!

And physically, well, doesn't it just mean you've got a whole heap more calories to burn off!!??! Not to mention how bloated you feel the next day!

I totally agree with the whole "refeed" thang when you're on a low carb diet, but in general, when your goal is to lose BF, is there much point to it?..... or is it just an excuse to eat as much crap as possible for a day!!!

btw- YES i did do a search...... but didn't quite find the info i'm lookin' for!

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-27-2002, 08:45 PM
They can be helpful from a metabolism point of view, but it depends more on what you're cheating with.

A ridiculously large amount of calories, processed fructose sugar and fat tend to undo a weeks work. 'Ridiculous', pushing the 7000kcal mark.

But 2000-4000kcals in one day (or over two) focusing primarily on low fat and high starch/glucose with the odd few cheat meals (piece of chocolate, slice of pizza etc..) thrown in for sanity, can be extremely helpful.

But if you just want a break from the whole diet scene and fancy treating yourself, then yeah, go for it. I think my days are behind me now though. I don't want my world revolving around my next cheat day. I can't be fussed with an eating disorder.

Wizard
12-27-2002, 09:33 PM
Do it only if you are mentally exhausted and only if you are on a fat loss diet. It s better to throw in a high carb/low fat/low protein meal in your diet for 2 times per week than pig out once per week. You also restrict the abnormal water retention that occurs by eating a load of calories and that can make you feel fat and flat.

Tiare
12-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Your body can go into a slowing phase when on an extended diet which the cheat day can re-set for you. Your average body temperature actually goes down a couple degrees in order for your body to better cope with the restricted caloric intake.

I actually charted it once on myself and after 8 days of a restricted diet my body temperature dropped by 2 degrees (taking it at the same time right when I woke up) and it stayed down until I had two days of eating at my maintenance level. I never repeated that "test" though; I just decided to have 1 or 2 cheat days a week. My results my have been skewed due to my occasional desire to eat a great big blizzard.

Wizard
12-27-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Tiare

I actually charted it once on myself and after 8 days of a restricted diet my body temperature dropped by 2 degrees

Wow! That's a great difference. I would describe it as unusual.

steveo
12-28-2002, 01:36 AM
Cheats quiet the voices in my head.

bradley
12-28-2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Miss Rezza
or is it just an excuse to eat as much crap as possible for a day!!!

Instead of having a whole cheat day just have one cheat meal and keep it within reason. I usually have a cheat meal on Saturday evening and leave it at that. I don't see the point in having a free for all calorie fest once a week. That has the potential of developing into an unhealthy habit.

Manveet
12-28-2002, 01:13 PM
. I think my days are behind me now though. I don't want my world revolving around my next cheat day. I can't be fussed with an eating disorder.

I agree, I don't really have any cheat days, but I do indulge here and there when I feel like it.