PDA

View Full Version : marijuana

machaf
07-14-2001, 12:12 AM
I was reaing about alcohol effects a persons body when they are lifting weights. How it dehydryates the body, and vitamins.

Does marijuana affect the body in term lifting weights?

Thanks

Joe Black
07-14-2001, 02:31 AM
I think it is counter productive yes..

I don't know all the scientific terms but from personal experience I know it can affect training..

It can affect diet, as you get tempted to eat crap food..

It can affect training as for me at least it makes me spaced out especially the next day..

Overall I can say it would affect training yes...

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2001, 03:53 AM
I know that people on this board smoke pot. Foos.

I also remember some guy on another board asking if smoking pot before training could be a 'magic supplemenet' cause he tried it and got a good pump. Loser.

the doc
07-14-2001, 09:32 AM
look, if given the choice of alledgely lower test levels and not being huge vs living a happy life i will choose the latter. If that means i will partake from time to time then so be it. I suffer from neither apathy nor munchies nor demotivation. In fact, i often partake when undertaking some highly complex reading. I have quit many times before because i wanted to and it was very easy.

can it effect your training? well sure but so can a lot of other things. Like everything else in life, you must set priorities. Moderation and a little discipline will go a long way. If it tempts you to eat crap food, well you probably eat crap food to begin with (or at least have no real aversion to eating it). If your "de-motivated" then you probably weren't highly motivated to begin with. I personally hiked 30+ miles in the mountains recently with a heavy pack and a little satchel. If it means you wont be an anxious, nervous wreck and brings balance in terms of your mental state then why not?

I don't advocate that you should or shouldn't do it, just be informed and make your own choice and respect others:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2001, 09:56 AM
..That's one of them...

Anthony
07-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Question ... if you need drugs to bring balance into your life, don't you think there are some underlying mental/emotional issues that should be addressed?

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2001, 11:42 AM
Agreed.

the doc
07-14-2001, 12:22 PM
Interesting question anthony, but you make a classic mistake in the debate. People always lump every substance together and call them "drugs" but were really talking about thousands of substances.

but ok lets talk "drugs"
People are consuming substance constantly everyday to alter their consciousness. Does anyone here consume coffee (caffeine), smoke cigarrettes (probably not many people here though) or consume alcohol in any form in any amount? Humans (and other creatures) have been consuming substances to alter their consciousness for their entire existance. Ancient prehistoric men have been found carrying hallucinogenic mushrooms in their personal packs. Nonetheless, the consumption of "drugs" in any form certainly does not presuppose an existing yet undiagnosed mental/emotional conditions as many people consume prescribed drugs in response to a diagnosis of mental disorder.

Anyhow, this discussion is about cannibis and not "drugs".
I do not presuppose to be of perfect mental state. I have mental/emotional problems just like everyone else. Anxiety happens to be one of them for me.
balance for me = not to anxious, not to relaxed

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2001, 12:37 PM
Doc, relax, have a Doobie...

the doc
07-14-2001, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Doc, relax, have a Doobie...

bahahaha perhaps later but i have to much work to do today. :(

sorry chicken, i get worked up easily;)

I believe we can agree to disagree:)

Anthony
07-14-2001, 12:50 PM
Cannabis is a drug, by the way.

the doc
07-14-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
Cannabis is a drug, by the way.

no kidding:rolleyes:

*gives anthony a star*

beercan
07-14-2001, 03:06 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........pot

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tryska
07-14-2001, 03:12 PM
*lol*

beercan = stoner

vox
07-14-2001, 03:27 PM
One joint = 7 cigarettes tuttut. I used to indulge but can't imagine now. Whether it hurts training or not I wouldn't take the risk of ruining progress.

Maki Riddington
07-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Everything in moderation??????

Anthony
07-15-2001, 02:37 AM
Including diacetylmorphine, Maki?

Maki Riddington
07-15-2001, 03:47 AM
Except Heroin.:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-15-2001, 03:49 AM
...Beercan is another...

Tryska
07-15-2001, 10:43 AM
well i'm the last person to judge either way......but here's the facts:

pros: smoking pot will increase your appetite. if you need to gain mass and need to eat lots of foods, then this will give you the appetite to get there. Just make sure you have "bodybuilding" foods around, so you don't wind up getting fat.

cons: the smoke decreases lung capacity, it lowers test levels (making it more difficult to gain mass), increases impotence (making it more difficult to get chicks), and does sap your concentration.

also, while smoking you increase the chances of dehydration....the day after, you will be tired, and kind of headachy.

so.....now you know..do with that information what you will.

gino
07-16-2001, 11:47 AM
I'm not a regular smoker, but the only side effect that I've experienced from pot in the gym is getting winded a little easier after having smoked recently. I've heard it effects natural test production negatively, but a side effect like that is(reportedly) only experienced by regular smokers(multiple times per day).

In all honesty, if I'm somewhere and a joint gets passed my way, I'm not going to say yes or no based on how I think it'll affect my training. I'll base my decision on whether or not I want to get high.

Everything in moderation...

Some things have such a negative effect on your system that moderation isn't an option, but something like marijuana in moderation should have little impact on your life.

There was a time back in college when I was stoned every waking hour. I'd smoke 6-7 times a day, but I always managed to make it to the gym and eat (relatively) well considering I was in college. Many of my friends who smoked less than me couldn't get their a$$es off the couch to answer the phone, though. Everyone handles it differently.

gino
07-16-2001, 11:52 AM
you smoke pot focker?

Tryska
07-16-2001, 11:53 AM
well said gino.

how much it affects you depends on how motivated you are in the first place, and whether you dabble, or you are an allout pot-head.

gino
07-16-2001, 12:06 PM
Very true. If you smoke excessively, how it affects your training should be the least of your worries. How it affects the rest of your life should be the concern.

the doc
07-16-2001, 12:54 PM
damn gino well said!

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-16-2001, 01:36 PM
Gino: I watched that film last night and it is the funniest film i've EVER seen.

The airport scene is the best thing on tape...

gino
07-16-2001, 01:42 PM
Such a classic. I crack up every time DeNiro calls him focker.

You smoke pot focker?

It's only a game focker!

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-16-2001, 01:44 PM
"Your name is Gay Lord Focker?"

the doc
07-16-2001, 01:52 PM
bahahahahah

I just got that one gino, that movie is a classic focker!

the doc
07-16-2001, 01:52 PM
i dont know how deniro kept a straight face everytime he said "focker"

gino
07-16-2001, 01:59 PM
HAHAHA! Gaylord Focker! I forgot about that one. I haven't seen the movie since the theater

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-16-2001, 02:04 PM
~spikes ball into lassie's face~

"What the hell were you thinking of Focker?!"

Joe Black
07-17-2001, 03:28 AM
tut tut we have been warned about threads going way off topic tuttut

Mr Daddy, you are the worst! tuttut

beercan
07-17-2001, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
, it lowers test levels (making it more difficult to gain mass), increases impotence (making it more difficult to get chicks), and does sap your concentration.

So much for that tryska.....what you say holds true for a chronic user, not a casual one...

I banged for an hour and 45 minutes last time I was high..... ;)

YatesNightBlade
07-17-2001, 05:51 AM
facking hell .... your arms musta been killin !!!! ;)

the doc
07-17-2001, 06:41 AM
hahhahah,
this thread is still alive?

beercan= virile mofo

i've noticed no deleterious effects with regard to intercourse. Although i dont bang as long as 'can, i can hold my own! Sometimes it is even more intense with than without!:cool:

Tryska
07-17-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by beercan

So much for that tryska.....what you say holds true for a chronic user, not a casual one...

I banged for an hour and 45 minutes last time I was high..... ;)

well thank you for that information 'can..*lol* actually yeah..i should have put a "chronic use" or "if you are an out and out stoner" in there....my bad.

pastdoubt
07-26-2001, 05:08 PM
I dont' believe that Marijuana lowers test. levels and **** like that and I'll tell you exactly why. No scientific crap here, just what I've seen... and what I've seen is that most of my school biggest most elite atheletes have been are very avid partiers. All of you know it's true, most of your high school football team consists of party animals. Well from the looks of them I doubt very seriously that marijuana affects their training. This is also taking into consideration the fact that our strength coach's entire weight training regimine has over 15 sets for bench press and squat done twice per week, and I doubt any of them practice good nutrition other than doubling the amount of food they buy in the cafeteria line each day.

pastdoubt
07-26-2001, 05:15 PM
And another thing, someone here said that if you need marijuana to lead a happy life then wouldn't that indicate an underlying mental problem... well if you need ECA stack to lose weight does that mean you have a weight-loss problem?

Matx
07-26-2001, 06:22 PM
yea or if u need to eat mcdonalds to enjoy your life. You really dont need anything except the most basic crap... u dont need that car thats 10 k more. If u can enjoy yourself a little more and your responsible who cares...

FRENCHIELOVE
07-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Thats very interesting information Beercan!;)