PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat/keeping strength and muscle

Hercule
12-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,
Over the past 2 months, I have gone from 187 to 196lbs. I think part of the reason is the creatine I have started taking, and the water retention. My first powerlifting meet is in February, and I would like to get down to about 190lbs, but I dont' want to sacrifice any pounds off of my total in order to lose weight. I need a diet I can go on just to lose about 5-10lbs in 2 months, I am not worried about being cut or anything, just a little bit lighter for the match. If any of you powerlifters have a specific pre-contest diet, please PM me and help me construct one.

Fluid
12-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Go on a cut. Monitor your bodyfat every week. If you start to lose LBM or not lose enough fat, adjust your calories by 200. This should ensure that you lose fat and minimal LBM. Also, do some form of cardio 3/week.

Fluid

Shao-LiN
12-28-2002, 01:37 PM
What's the point of dropping weight before a powerlifting meet? If anything, I'd be trying to increase my strength and not worry about cutting up until afterwards. Not that I have much experience in this type of stuff.

bradley
12-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
What's the point of dropping weight before a powerlifting meet? If anything, I'd be trying to increase my strength and not worry about cutting up until afterwards. Not that I have much experience in this type of stuff.

Only reason I can think of is to get into a lower weight class.

bradley
12-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Like Fluid said just start to cut your cals down until you are losing about approx .5-1lbs per week. Remember to cut cals slowly so as not to cause a loss in LBM.

Most people's maintenance calories is about 15*bw for daily caloric total and 12*bw to cut. I would start at maybe 14*bw and go from there. If no weight loss occurs or not enough then decrease cals by 200-300 until desired results are reached. You have plenty of time to cut so take it slow and this will help minimize losses in LBM. I would hold off on the cardio first until you see what kind of results you are getting from your diet and then add in cardio if desired.

Shao-LiN
12-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Only reason I can think of is to get into a lower weight class.

I see.

Hercule
12-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Well, I want to lose weight for more vain reasons actually :). I would have to lose about 20lbs to drop a weight class, I just want to lose a little useless fat.

Saint Patrick
12-29-2002, 02:52 AM
I'd say wait until after the meet in that case. You drop cals, you risk losing muscle.

Hercule
12-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Aight, thanks man.

Shao-LiN
12-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Well yah, I wouldn't bother if it isn't about weight class.