PDA

View Full Version : Bulking questions, Nutrition questions

Common
12-28-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm a newbie :) so i need some help...

When you bulk, you eat 20 x BW, right?
That seems like a lot.

40%carbs40%protein20%fat?
I've heard I should try to eat foods that have a lot of Zinc and B vitamins is that true?

What things do I NEED to know to have a really good diet to GROW?

Shao-LiN
12-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Eat above maintenance. It varies from person to person, but you can start at 18 x BW and adjust as necessary (i.e. gain too much fat, lower; not gaining at least a pound a week, raise).

Ratios are just a guideline to help you get a diet ironed out, but that split is fine. Can also go isocaloric or majority carbs, it's all up to you.

Eat clean. I've never looked for foods that had zinc and b vitamins in them. Just eat clean, hehe.

Any other diet questions, you can read the article stickied at the top of this forum. It links to a WBB article about diet and nutrition and other useful articles.

Common
12-28-2002, 01:43 PM
That's it?

Then how is this diet. I'm not sure about the %'s. I'm gonna try them on fitday in a minute.

7:00 -5 eggs whites, cup oatmeal, a few glasses of milk
10:50 - homemade protein bar
12:30 - school food
2:30 - protein bar
4:00 - Chicken breast, cup oatmeal, Milk
5:30 - WO
6:30 - whey with grape juice
8:00 - Chicken breast, Cup oatmeal, Milk
9:00 - Cottage Cheese, Milk
10:00 - cottage cheese

Frozenmoses
12-28-2002, 01:48 PM
School food = bad.

When I started training and dieting, I just brought a bowl of tuna salad I mixed at my house in the morning. Much better for you.

bradley
12-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Just from looking at your diet you might want to add in some more fat. Eat a couple of the yolks at breakfast and then add in some healthy fats along with some of your other meals. Salmon, nuts, flax oil, natty pb etc are some good sources. Good luck with the diet.

Shao-LiN
12-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Must agree, where's the fat?

Common
12-28-2002, 03:41 PM
Ok i'll add in nuts, when would be best to eat them?

I don't think taking food to school is really gonna be possible. Usually I can get some fruit and chicken strips.. not that good but better than the other crap. Will it really hurt that much? How many of the egg yolks should i eat?

bradley
12-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Common
Ok i'll add in nuts, when would be best to eat them?

I don't think taking food to school is really gonna be possible. Usually I can get some fruit and chicken strips.. not that good but better than the other crap. Will it really hurt that much? How many of the egg yolks should i eat?

I eat two yolks a day and I would add in some nuts with maybe your 10:50 and/or 2:30 meal. Walnuts are good because of the omega-3 content but other nuts would be suffecient. What type of milk and cottage cheese are you using (fat-free, 1%, 2% etc)?

Common
12-28-2002, 05:06 PM
well the protein bars are homemade so would it be just as good to throw them into the recipe?I dont see why not :)

Milk is 1%.. I dont eat cottage cheese now but when i start this diet i'll probably get Fatfree.

The glasses I drink of milk are probably about 20oz-30oz, and I drink about 4-5 of them/day. So I drink around 80-100oz's of milk, i think. IS that a little much?

It's like 1000 calories from milk alone, which is about 80g protein, 120g carbs, and 30g fat...

How many oz's are in a gallon?

Common
12-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Also does 16oz of Grape juice really have 65gs of carbs?

I'm using Fitday.com to calculate all this..

bradley
12-28-2002, 05:10 PM
well the protein bars are homemade so would it be just as good to throw them into the recipe?I dont see why not :)

Milk is 1%.. I dont eat cottage cheese now but when i start this diet i'll probably get Fatfree.

The glasses I drink of milk are probably about 20oz-30oz, and I drink about 4-5 of them/day. So I drink around 80-100oz's of milk, i think. IS that a little much?

It's like 1000 calories from milk alone, which is about 80g protein, 120g carbs, and 30g fat...

How many oz's are in a gallon?

Yeah just throw the nuts in with the protien bars or put them on top.

I don't see any problem with drinking that much milk as long as your body can handle it. Some will disagree but milk is a good source of protien IMO.

I think the cottage cheese that has fat in it tastes better and that little bit of fat will not hurt anything.

Common
12-28-2002, 05:18 PM
so go with 1% fat?

But the milk has a lot of carbs, are they good carbs?

I cut out a little of the milk and it comes to this..

3717 Calories,
92grams of fat
413grams of carbs
318grams of protein

23%Fat
42%Carb
35%Protein

Common
12-28-2002, 05:19 PM
It'd actually be more than that, I left out the school food cuz I have no idea.. And there will probably be more milk. Seems like too many calories.

If it should be BW x 16 x.20 then i'm way over...

Berserker
12-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Back to the eggs, don't be afraid of the yolk.

bradley
12-28-2002, 05:44 PM
What are your stats (height/weight/bf%)? That will help in determing how many cals you need for the day. Also the carbs in milk are fine as long as they fit into your daily carb intake. I would start out adding cals slowly. Don't just start dumping 3700 cals into your body. As you are increasing cals keep an eye on your bodyweight to make sure you are not gaining too much too fast. Yes, that sounds about the right amount of carbs for 16oz of grape juice. Just look on the nutrition info on the side of the grape juice container.

Common
12-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Height: 6ft
Weight: 170
BF: probably around 10-15%

I don't eat much now, probably not enough as I should.. so should I start around 2500 and increase? What meals do I NEED if i start lower? Or do i keep all the same times but eat maybe half cup oatmeal, half cup cottage cheese?

bradley
12-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Height: 6ft
Weight: 170
BF: probably around 10-15%

I don't eat much now, probably not enough as I should.. so should I start around 2500 and increase? What meals do I NEED if i start lower? Or do i keep all the same times but eat maybe half cup oatmeal, half cup cottage cheese?

Yeah I would start there and increase by about 300-500 cals per week until I was gaining the desired amount of weight each week. I would keep the same meal plan just decrease the calorie content of each meal. Looks like you are on the right track. Keep your diet posted in your journal if you like and that way it will be easy for members of the forum to give you advice. Good luck with the training and diet.

Common
12-29-2002, 02:44 PM
So each meal could be smaller?

3 eggs not 5.. half cup oatmeal.. keep the chicken breasts the same?

bradley
12-30-2002, 03:53 AM
You need to get about 1 gram of protien per pound of bw and the rest of your cals should come from carbs and fat. So I would cut the eggs down but not if they lowered your daily protien intake too much. Carbs would be the easiest macronutrient to manipulate IMO.

Common
12-30-2002, 05:40 PM
I think i'm gonna have whey instead of the eggs, since it absorbs faster. And i'll eat 2 Banana's for breakfast too.

But you suggest basically keeping the same amount of protein in my diet, starting off around 300 grams.. but start with lower carbs, like 250grams and work my way up to 450?

BTW, 300grams+ of protein seems a little high for my weight 170lbs. Is it? I thought i should be eating a lot more carbs than protein.

bradley
12-31-2002, 05:53 AM
I think i'm gonna have whey instead of the eggs, since it absorbs faster. And i'll eat 2 Banana's for breakfast too.

But you suggest basically keeping the same amount of protein in my diet, starting off around 300 grams.. but start with lower carbs, like 250grams and work my way up to 450?

BTW, 300grams+ of protein seems a little high for my weight 170lbs. Is it? I thought i should be eating a lot more carbs than protein.

Like I said in my last post, 1g of protien per lb of bw will be enough. So start your diet out with approx 170 grams of protien and adjust your carb intake to fit your calorie needs. You are right in thinking that your carb intake should be higher than protien intake when bulking.

Is there any reason why you want faster absorbtion? The egg yolks will provide some fat in your diet, but if you are going to use whey for your first meal I would try and add in some healthy fats.