PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Strength Journal

TMan
12-29-2002, 08:09 PM
TMan's 2003 Strength Journal

I decided to jump the gun a little bit and get an early start on a 2003 journal. I train primarily for strength and am currently focusing on the powerlifting lifts. Ironically, for the next 8 weeks or so I'll be cutting. My belly is getting out of control and I need to comfortably fit into my pants again. Here are some current stats:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 192 lbs.
BF%: ?? (I'm guessing 20%, but who knows)
Waist: 37 3/4 inches :mad:

I don't really care about seeing abs or vascularity or anything like that. Getting down to 12-13% would be great for me but I'd settle for 15% right now. The plan for the next 8 weeks is this:

Training
I'm going to try out a "Wave" routine. This is a routine originally designed by Rick Gaugler and has been used by quite a few people with good results. The basic premise is that you gradually increase the weight on the major lifts (and assistance work) over the course of 4 weeks (this is one wave), then startover with slightly higher weight than what you started with on the first wave and do another 4 week wave. My routine is taken from a variation of Gaugler's original routine. If anybody is interested in this, I have an Excel spreadsheet of the routine.

I'm going to try to avoid cardio during the cut but I may start doing it near the end.

EDIT: I decided against the Wave routine. During the cut I want to make sure that my strength levels are still increasing. My strength gains may slow down (and that's to be expected) but I don't want them to stagnate or decrease. So I'll need to closely monitor them week by week. I've decided on a very simple routine that I'll explain in a post below. I've also decided to up the cardio and do some HIIT.

Diet
My plan for my cut is fairly simple and is influenced by Lyle McDonald. I'll be keeping the calories between 2300-2500 calories. I'm going to try to get 0.9 - 1.0 grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight. Also, 10% of my calories will be from EFAs and at least 20% of my calories will be fat (including the EFAs). Everything else is fair game. I'm going to try and keep it fairly clean and avoid sugar as much as possible. That's it!

TMan
12-29-2002, 08:43 PM
Training Notes
First week of first wave. All the exercises should be fairly easy this week. I train 4 days a week with one day each for Bench, Squat, Bench assistance, and Deadlift. Today was Bench day which is the lowest volume day of the four. I'll be following this workout with some grip work but I won't list it.

Bench Press
165x3, x3, x3
No problem. I paused at the bottom just to make things a little interesting.

2 Board Bench Press
165x3, x3, x3
I'll be using a medium grip (pinky on rings) for these. No problem here either.

DB Press
55x3, x3, x3
I'll be keeping my hands facing each other throughout the movement. Fairly easy sets.

Diet Notes
Decent diet today. I'll be getting about 2500 calories today. Still adjusting to the cut so it wasn't a perfect day. Didn't get enough EFAs today and I had Frosted Flakes for breakfast. :D

TMan
12-31-2002, 09:25 AM
Man, the holidays are screwing everything up! I've only lifted twice the past 9 days. Oh well, I was due for a small break anyway and my back needed time to heal. The diet has been okay but I'm not really worried about it at this point. As long as I continue to try to eat healthy, I'll be fine.

I decided to change the routine 2 days into it. As I explained in my edit above I want to closely monitor my strength gains so that I don't stagnate or decrease the gains. I can't do this very well with the Wave routine. I decided to keep things simple routinewise and have adopted a routine from Dan Martin at the Garage Gym Forums. Here's a layout of the routine:

Sunday
Rest

Monday
Squats (Heavy) 5x5
Squats 1x20 (back-off set)
Military Press (Heavy) 5x5
Pull-Ups (Heavy) 1 - 3 sets

Tuesday
HIIT

Wednesday
Bench Press (Heavy) 5x5
Close Grip BP 1x3-8 (back-off set)
Deadlift (Light) 3x3
Pull-Ups (Heavy) 1 - 3 sets

Thursday
Rest

Friday
Deadlift (Heavy) 3x3
Bench Press (Light) 5x5
Squat (Light) 5x5

Saturday
HIIT

Each workout day I'll also do abs and some grip work. On the light exercises I'll be concentrating on speed. I'm concerned about there not being enough tricep work so I may address this later on but I'm going to try this out for now. With this routine I can monitor my strength on a weekly basis as opposed to on a monthly basis with the Wave routine.

TMan
12-31-2002, 09:11 PM
NOTES

Happy New Years! I've got no big plans obviously since I'm updating this journal tonight. With a 3 month old we can't really go party. I'll probably stay up til midnight and watch New Years on TV but the Mrs. will probably crash early. We are so boring.

I did Monday's workout tonight since I couldn't lift last night. No pullups tonight since I'll be doing Wednesday's workout tomorrow and I wanted my back to be rested.

Squats
95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, x5, 65x16
Tough sets of squats tonight! The 155's were really tough but I got the reps I wanted. I was supposed to do 65x20 but it just wasn't happening. My legs were spaghetti and I was exhausted. I need to work on my conditioning. I hope the HIIT will help with this. I've gone too long without any cardio. I'm dumping the 20 rep squats for now.

Military Press
45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 80x5
Haven't done these in about 6 months. I quite doing them originally because they started bothering my shoulders. Hopefully, they won't do it again but we'll see. I took it easy on them tonight since I'll be benching tomorrow.

TMan
01-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I did a caliper test today. I do it myself and only do the 3 point test so it's not entirely accurate. I got a 16.7% at 191 lbs. Seems kinda low to me but I did it like 5 times. So a goal for me to shot for on this cut is 180 lbs. @ 12% BF and if I'm feeling really ambitious I could go for 175 lbs. @ 10% BF. But I'll get to 180 first and then decide.

TMan
01-01-2003, 08:21 PM
NOTES

Watched a couple hours of the WSM today. I taped 6 hours of it so I'll have plenty to watch later. Man, they are big and strong! They made the Farmer's Walk with 238 lbs. in each hand look like an afternoon stroll.

Decent workout tonight. I'm liking the new routine so far.

Bench Press
120x5, 135x5, 150x5, 165x5, x5
Did better than I expected. The 165's weren't that hard. I actually took the last set kinda slow to get a good burn.

CGBP
140x5
This should have been fairly easy but for some reason I was struggling on the 4th rep then got the 5th rep just fine. Hmm, oh well.

Deadlifts
155x3, 175x3, x3, x3
I tried to do these fast kinda like speed DLs. Weight may have been a little too low.

Pull-Ups (palms facing away)
BWx4, x3, x2 3/4
Man, I stink at these! I'm hoping that as my BW goes down these reps will go up. Since I'll be doing these twice a week, I think I'll alternate between palms facing me and palms facing away.

Followed this with crunches and grip work.

beastin v6
01-01-2003, 08:30 PM
I am not sure if you mentioned it. But are you taking any supplements? (ex. Whey Protein)

TMan
01-01-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm taking whey protein, multivitamin, creatine, glutamine, and ZMA. The glutamine is only during the cut and just because I got a very good deal on it. When I run out I probably won't use it anymore. Later on in the cut I'll use an ECA but I'm trying to avoid it for now.

Franjipani
01-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Congrats on starting a new journal:thumbup:.

Good luck with all your goals and a Happy New Year to you!!

:D

TMan
01-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Franjipani! Happy New Year to you too! I've got big goals for 2003. I should post my goals for the year:

Squat: 325 lbs.
Bench: 285 lbs.
Dead: 390 lbs.

The squat goal is pretty ambitious but I really think this is the 'year of the squat'.

My weight goal for 2003 is to be at 195 lbs. with 10% BF. Getting to 195 is not a problem but the 10% BF will be a challenge for me.

My only other goal is to compete in at least one powerlifting competition this year. Most likely this will be the USAPL event they have here in Austin in the Fall. But if I find a comp. near me in the summer I may do it as well.

TMan
01-03-2003, 10:16 PM
NOTES

Decent workout tonight. I decided to tweak the routine just a little bit starting next week. I'll be following a different yet similar routine from Dan Martin at the GG, still very basic and focusing on the 3 lifts. I'm really starting to enjoy this abbreviated volume stuff.

Bench Press
135x5, x5, 140x5, x5, x5
Easy sets on these tonight. Tried to do them fast like speed work.

Deadlift
195x3, 205x3, 220x3
Good sets here. The 220's were tough but I think I still had a few reps left in me.

DB Rows
60x5, x5
These were no problem. I coulda/shoulda done more weight.

As always, followed this with ab and grip work.

Franjipani
01-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by TMan
The squat goal is pretty ambitious but I really think this is the 'year of the squat'.

Amen to that:D

TMan
01-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Good workout tonight. Decided to change things up a little bit. I'll be doing two exercises a workout (not including abs and grip work). At least one exercise each workout will be 5x5 done the way I used to do them (5 heavy sets). I had good results with that a few months ago so I thought I'd try it again.

I need to get serious with my diet. No weight change this week. I need to focus on my diet, clean it up more, and actually count calories and macronutrients and crap.

Squats
150x5, x5, x5, x4, x4
Good tough sets here. I picked the right weight to start off with too. 3 months ago I did the exact same sets and reps with only 120 lbs. so I think my progress has been pretty good.

Pull-Ups
BWx4, x3, x3
Tough sets here. Almost didn't get that last rep but I squeezed it out.

TMan
01-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Ooops, I started to let the journal slide into oblivion. This workout was actually on Tuesday but with the board downtime and my hectic schedule I haven't had a chance to post it yet.

Bench Press
170x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
Good tough sets but nothing I couldn't handle.

DB Rows
55x10, x9, x9
Tough sets here. Could not get those 10th reps but I'll get 'em next time.

Followed this with grip work (no ab work today).

TMan
01-10-2003, 07:56 AM
On Wednesday I was bored and so decided to test my squat and deadlift 1RM. I was pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind the old PR's were only done 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Squat
205x0, 200x1
Old PR: 195
I learned something new tonight: walkout is VERY important for 1RMs. With the 205 I walked out and spent about 5 seconds getting my stance perfect. Well, it cost me. I couldn't get it out of the hole and have to set the bar on the pins. With the 200 I did a quick walkout and a fairly easy rep. Had I been quicker with the 205 walkout I think I could have gotten it.

Deadlift
275x1
Old PR: 260
Wow! I kinda wasn't expecting to get this, just shooting for the moon. The 275 went up with no stalling or hitching. Totally wore me out though, there was no way I was going to try another.

chris mason
01-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Interesting journal. It looks like you are stopping a bit short of failure on most sets. I have tried a 5x5 routine recently, but found it to be to much volume for me. If your gains are not satisfactory, you may try dropping a couple of sets (3 x 5, for example).

TMan
01-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks, Chris! I'm flattered that you checked out my journal. I stole this routine from Dan Martin (whom I'm sure you're aware of). I'm keeping the routine very abbreviated so that the 5x5 doesn't kill me. Only 2 (maybe 3) major exercises and only one 5x5 exercise a workout. I'm going to keep a close eye on the gains and will drop work sets on the 5x5 if necessary.

Oh, and yes, I try not to train to failure.

TMan
01-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Decent workout tonight. I got the book 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik yesterday. Awesome book! I'm really enjoying it so far. The book has inspired me to make Saturdays heavy awkward objects lifting day. I went to the hardware store and bought the stuff to make a heavy sandbag. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Diet has been good so far this week. I've been following a somewhat isocaloric diet and keeping track of calories and macronutrients on fitday.com. I'm hoping to stick with this until the end of Feb. but we'll see.

Deadlifts
185x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
I took it a little easy on the DLs tonight. My lower back was still a little sore from testing my maxes 2 days ago. So I took this opportunity to work on my form.

CGBP
135x8, x8, x8
Tough sets here.

Static Grip
255 lbs. for 20 secs and 12 secs.
I guess I'll go ahead and mention my grip work here. Mondays and Wednesdays I do gripper work on my Ivanko Supergripper and CoC Trainer (I plan on buying the CoC #1 soon). Usually 3 sets of 3-5 reps. Fridays I do static grips for 2-3 sets.

Skipped ab work today.

MonStar
01-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Good job on the DLs tonight TMan, impressive. Keep up the hard work.

TMan
01-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the support, MonStar!

TMan
01-11-2003, 08:20 PM
I did my first heavy awkward object training with sandbags today. It was hard work but fun. This is nothing like barbell training. The inyteresting part was figuring out how to hold the damn bag throughout the lift. I think I'll make this a permanent addition to my training for a while. I planned on doing more but it's been raining today so I was limited to what I planned on doing. Here's how the training session went today:

50 lb. Sandbag Clean & Press - 4 singles
Started off with a fairly easy weight so I could figure out what the hell I'm doing. The bag went up easy all 4 times so I upped the weight...

75 lb. Sandbag Clean & Press - 4 singles
Tougher. Lockout was a struggle and getting the bag cleaned to my chest was an interesting experience. Almost lost the bag once.
Still not all that tough so...

100 lb. Sandbag Clean & Press - 2 singles
Wow, this was tough! Cleaning (and I use the word 'clean' very loosely here) that bag was a bitch! I was just trying to get that thing on my chest anyway I could! It wasn't pretty. Lockout seemed to be the easy part. Actually on the second lift I couldn't get the first press to lockout so I rested the bag on my head (is that allowed?) and locked it out on the second attempt.

Sandbag Bear Hug Walk - 100 lbs. for 50 feet or so.
I'm not sure what to call this but I basically deadlifted the bag, bear hugged it, and walked down the driveway and back. I'll extend this walk the next few weeks. LOL! The neighbors are going freak when they see me walking down the street bear hugging a heavy duffel bag!

ectx
01-11-2003, 10:29 PM
The sandbag training seems like a riot. Where'd you get the idea? I still can't get over the sand bag bear hug. BTW, weather sucks at our side of the I 35 corridor too. Much suckage for a weekend that I was suppose to go camping on. *grumble grumble*...but I digress....sandbags....bearhugs....crazy.

TMan
01-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Thans, ectx! I got the sandbag idea from the 'Dinosaur Training' book I'm reading. It's good training for stabilizer muscles that don't usually get worked that hard with BB/DB training or something like that. All I know is that it's tough and it works your body in ways that BB/DBs can't do. But it's also tons of fun.

Yes, it's a sucky weekend. I had lots of plans this weekend and I won't get to do most of them. I really need to watch the weather forecast or something from now on. I had no idea this cold front was coming. Just to think it was 84 degrees here like two days ago and the high today is only supposed to be 39 degrees. Good 'ole Texas weather, huh?

TMan
01-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Good workout tonight. I decided to only do 3 heavy work sets on the 5x5. 5 heavy work sets for deadlifts was a bit much for me. So, I'll do two less heavy work sets and maybe throw in a 3rd exercise now and then. This comes from the suggestion of Chris Mason and the book 'Dinosaur Training' that I'm reading.

Diet has been decent. I had a cheat day yesterday but I didn't blow it too bad. Today the diet was back on track. Man, I hate cutting!

Squats
125x5, 140x5, 155x5, x5, x5
Good tough sets here. The last rep of the 4th set and the last 2 reps of the 5th set were brutal but I got them.

Pull-Ups
BWx1, x2, x3, x1 1/2, x1
I thought I'd try and ladder these using Pavel's ladder technique. I'm not sure if I like this approach yet. I need to rest more in between sets, that's for sure. I'll give it another shot with a little more rest in between and see how it goes.

MonStar
01-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Nice work on the squats TMan! Impressive. What is your 1RM looking like for squats these days?

TMan
01-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks, MonStar! My 1RM on squats is 200. I'm really contemplating a couple of squat intensive routines to get that number up. One is a Paul Anderson (arguably, the greatest squatter who ever lived) type routine. Another is the Smolov Squat routine which is super-intensive and maybe a little too much for me. I'd at least like to see my squat 1RM get above my bench 1RM. We'll see.

TMan
01-16-2003, 09:57 PM
I decided to change things up a bit yet again. 'Dinosaur Training' has really got me thinking about strength training more and more. I'm no longer just concerned about increasing the 1RM on the powerlifts. I'm looking for more of an overall strength training routine now, sort of a 'functional' strength type routine that will also build size. I will be following one of the routines outlined in the Dino book from now on. It consists of two different full body routines done 2 - 3 times a week. Here's how day one looks and is what I did tonight:

Squats
105x5, 125x5, 145x5, 165x5
The goal for this exercise (and the next two) is to do 4x5 with increasing weights for each set with the last set being very hard. Tonight the 165's were tough but I could have done more. 165 was also my 1RM less than 3 months ago so I'm pretty pleased with my progress since then. :)

Overhead Press
75x5, 85x5, 95x5, 105x5
Coul have gone a little bit higher in the poundage here. I'll do it next time.

Bent-Over BB Row
115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5
Wow, this was easier than I thought it'd be all though it's kinda sad that my BB row is higher than my squat. Oh well.

Farmer's Walk
50 lbs. for 1 min. 40 sec.
Ouch! Tough, tough stuff here. I must have looked funny walking down the street with DBs in my hands. I walked about 250 feet but I could be wrong. I think I'm going to build some 2" thick farmer bars this weekend because the DBs get in the way of this exercise.

Crunches
10x15, 15x15
Same as always.

Standing BB Calf Raises
135x15, x11
This is an optional exercise but I had the time so I did them.

Delphi
01-18-2003, 08:00 PM
How are you going to make the farmer's bars?

TMan
01-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I made the first one today. I'm following the directions you can find on this website (http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/). Mine are 4 foot long bars with a 28 inch middle section that's 1 3/4 inch diameter. It uses standard plates. I made mine a little long so they can be used for curls as well. Total cost per bar: $10.00 Not bad.

TMan
01-18-2003, 10:34 PM
I finished 'Dinosaur Training'. It's a great book! I rate it the second best training book I ever read (a close second to McCallum's KTP). Any one training for strength (as opposed to just training for hypertrophy) should read this book.

Today was the second full body workout in the routine I'm following from Dino Training. Good workout. I should be sore tomorrow.

Cleans
95x3, 115x3, 125x3, 135x3, 145x3
I decided to give deadlifts a rest for a while and work on my cleans. I haven't done this exercise much so I'm still working on my form. This is a tough yet fun exercise! I almost didn't get the last rep on the last set.

Bench Press
120x5, 140x5, 160x5, 180x5
Tough last set here! The bar stalled on the last rep of the last set about halfway up but sheer determination drove me to lock it out. Good sets!

Sandbag Walk
100 lbs. for about 100 feet
This is like a Farmer's Walk but I'm bear hugging a 100 lb. sandbag. This really works your lower back and arms! I'm guessing the distance here. I'll measure it out so I can be more accurate. I'm going to shoot for adding distance as opposed to weight because it's tough to deadlift the bag to start already.

Side Bends
20x15, 25x15
Good sets here. A little light but I had no idea what I could handle.

Thick BB Curls
60x10, 65x10
Used my newly made thick BB here. The handle is 1 3/4 thick and the thickness makes the curl tougher. Tough sets here.

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Nice session TMan! Power cleans look intense, theyre a great exercise. I used to do them all the time for football. Sandbag walks look intense too. I am assuming that theyre awesome for your grip, correct?

TMan
01-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Didn't want this journal to fall into obscurity yet. I've still been working out but trying different things. I ditched the Dino routine because it calls for only lifting twice a week and I can't stand waiting that long between workouts. 3-4x a week really works better for me. I thought about going ahead and doing the Dino routine three times a week but I like to stick to routines as they are stated and not muck it up too much. So, it's history.

The past couple of days I've been thinking about where I am now, what my goals are, and what to do next. I've also been skimming through McCallum's KTP again and I think I have a plan. For those of you who haven't read KTP it is a series of articles put out by McCallum in Health and Fitness(?) magazine in the 60's. Some months he gives a new routine to follow, other months he talks about nutrition or mind-muscle connection. Anyway, some people like to follow the McCallum routines starting at Ch. 1 and follow it one chapter a month. There's no new routine until Ch. 5 so you follow the first routine for 4 months then go to the Ch. 5 routine. I know of one guy who has followed the first 4 routines (which take a year) and there is one person (Sean Toohey) who has followed all the routines in the book (I'm not sure how long it would take but at least 3 or 4 years). Toohey is now a well known strength writer so it must have done him some good.

I'm going to give the first KTP routine a "tryout" tonight and if I like it I'll be following it starting next week with the intention of going through the routines in the book for as long as I can stand. Some of the later routines are very interesting. Now that hell has frozen over and MonStar is sticking to a routine I think that I can too.

bradley
01-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Where did you purchase this book? I have looked around online a little and was unable to find it. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

TMan
01-24-2003, 05:54 PM
I bought it at www.davedraper.com but you can also get it at www.ironmind.com

Excellent book! I highly recommend it.

TMan
01-24-2003, 07:38 PM
I tried out the Time Factor routine from KTP tonight. I am going to do it starting next week. It's a full body workout done 3x a week and most of the reps are in the 12 - 15 range. For someone who has mostly done 5 rep work, tonight was a humbling experience. I'm going to have to majorly lower the poundage until I get my conditioning up to handle high rep stuff. This will be a lot of hard work.

I'll start a new journal on Monday as a way to motivate myself to stick with it.

bradley
01-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the links, and I will be checking out the new journal when you start it up. Good luck with the new routine.

TMan
03-30-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm back! I had to dig deep to find my journal but here it is! A little recap on what I've done since late Jan. Although I've been away from WBB I have not stopped lifting. I did McCallum's Time Factor routine for a few weeks. Then changed things a little bit several times but continued the full body abbreviated 3x a week routine for a month or so. In that time the strength gains were slow but steady but I only gained about a pound the whole six weeks or so. I realized that a 3x a week full body routine was wearing me out and I was losing interest in training. Look for something completely different I stumbled onto the routine I'm doing now.

My current routine is based on Bryce Lane's "Have It All" routine which is based on EDT (Escalated Density Training). It's different from the "normal" way of training. I won't go into it here but you can read about here: http://home.attbi.com/~joandbryce/it_all.htm

I spent last week giving the new routine a try using medium weights. I decided that I liked it and will give it a month to see how it works for me. I plan on rotating the 2 compound exercises on a weekly basis. The two exercises for this week are power cleans/push press and squats. Here was today's workout:

Power Clean and Push Press
110x6, x6, x6, x5, x5, x5, x5, x4, x3, x3, x2 = 50 reps
Time: 19:35

BB Curls
71.25x10, x7

The Power Cleans/Push Press weren't all that tough strengthwise but was very exhausting. This will work well for improving my conditioning.

bradley
03-31-2003, 03:01 AM
Nice to see you back TMan. Good luck with the new routine.

Coke
03-31-2003, 06:19 AM
Took a Big Break man - glad you are back to it. :) Good luck with everything.

TMan
03-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the comments! It's good to be back. The main reason I'm continuing the journal now is so I can keep a good track of this new routine.

Just a few notes to add for now:

- I started this routine at a BW of 188 lbs. This morning I was at 190.

- Before starting this routine I tested some maxes. The last time I tested them was in early Jan. Here are the results:

Squat: 210 (old PR: 200)
Bench: 215 (old PR: 210)
Dead: 280 (old PR: 275)

More proof that I pretty much wasted the last 2 months. Oh well, live and learn. At least now I know what doesn't work for me.

TMan
03-31-2003, 07:56 PM
Observation of the day: Allergies suck!

So I don't have to write down every friggin' set the parantheses notes how many sets I did for that rep count.

Squats
150x7, x6(2), x5(4), x4(4) = 55 reps!
Time: 19:00

Standing Calf Raises
135x12, x10

finished off with some grip work

Good sets tonight! The squats went a little easier than I thought they would. I realized about halfway through that I was going to easily get my 50 reps so I did the remaining reps ATF. Technically, the were not all the way ATF but I went as low as my crappy lack of flexibility would allow me and most reps were well below parallel. My quads were good and fried afterwards.

TMan
04-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Feeling a little sick today but I decided to go ahead and workout anyway. It could be allergies or it could be something else. Also, it was confirmed today that I'll be going to England in 2 1/2 weeks for a business trip. I'll be there about a week. Hopefully, I'll have some time to do some touristy things and hit a few pubs.

Power Clean and Push Press
115x6, x5(4), x4(6) = 50 reps
Time: 20:00

BB Curls
71.25x10, x8

Wow! The power cleans/push press were brutal! I knew after the first set that this was going to be a struggle for the whole 20 minutes. I was breathing hard and a some of reps looked like absolute crap from being so tired. I seriously didn't think I would get the 50 reps but I was determined to try my hardest. I barely got the 50 reps and was totally exhausted afterwards.

TMan
04-03-2003, 08:20 AM
I just want to add for the record that I am very sore today. About the only part of my body that does not hurt is my feet. I cannot think of another exercise that hits as many body parts as the power clean and push press. I just want to lay on the floor, get in a fetal position, and sleep. I'll probably get a few stares as people pass my cube and my boss might not think it's a productive use of my time so I'd better not do it.

TMan
04-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Observation of the Day: Ibuprofen is a good thing.

Still a little sore from 2 days ago and still a little sick. I was feeling less than 100% (about 90.5%) but decided to go ahead with the workout anyway.

Squats
155x6, x5(4), x4(5), x2(2) = 50 reps
Time: 19:45

followed by couple of sets of gripper work

Much like 2 nights ago I knew after the first set that this was going to be a tough battle the whole way. Endurance was not much of a problem but strength was. 155 lbs. is a weight I was only doing 3x5 with about 3 months. Now, I'm doing 50 reps with it. This routine is brutal!

bradley
04-05-2003, 05:07 AM
This routine is brutal!

Sounds like an understatement:) Do you think this routine might lead to overtraining, or are you going to stay on it for just a short period of time?

MonStar
04-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Workouts are looking good TMan, 50 squats is indeed impressive. Keep up the nice work.

TMan
04-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the comments! Bradley, I'm seriously thinking this is a little too much for me. I'm very sore and tired today. I know people who have done this routine for several months. The trick is that you do 3 weeks normal but then on the fourth week you just do some easy singles. But I don't think I'm even going to make to that fourth week. I'll think about it over the weekend.

bradley
04-05-2003, 02:16 PM
I wasn't trying to criticize the routine but I just noticed from your posts that you seemed to be wiped out from each session. This might be best served as something you can do one week every couple of months to really shock your system. Best of luck.:)

TMan
04-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I decided to dump the current routine. The DOMS was too much and left me feeling like crap almost the entire time. I wasn't dreading the workouts (they were actually kinda fun), I was dreading the days after the workout. Hobbling around and groaning everytime I sat down or stood up is no way to go through life, at least not until I'm 80. Plus, 4x a week is just a little much for me. 3x works very well for me and my schedule. Speaking of schedule, my is going to be very f***'ed up for a while. The next 2 weeks I will be working the evening shift (4pm - 2am) which I'm sure will wreak havoc on my sleeping and eating schedules. Oh well, I'll adapt.

My new routine is 3x a week pretty standard stuff to what I've been doing in the past. It's heavy on 5x5s which I like. Today I did day 1:

Bench Press
100x5, 130x5, 155x5, 170x5, x5
Very tough sets here. Had to push hard to get that very last rep.

Squats
95x5, 115x5, 140x5, 160x5, x5
Took these a little easy considering I still have some DOMS from Friday. Moderately difficult but not bad.

Bent Over BB Rows
100x5, 125x5, 150x5, 165x5, x5
Tough but not a maximum effort. Good weight to use to get back into doing these again.

Skullcrushers
65x6, x6
Haven't done these in a while. Overestimated myself a little bit but no too badly.

Crunches
10x15, 12.5x12

Standing BB Calf Raises
135x15, x12

TMan
04-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Well, this last week was totally nuts. Working the evening shift totally screwed up my sleep and eating. Haven't been sleeping enough, haven't been eating enough although both are getting better now. One more week of this then a week in England (which I'm sure will screw everything up again). Basically, my schedule is going to be nuts for about 9 more weeks at least. Given this, I've switched to a short full body workout every 3 days or 4 days.

Crunches - BW+15x10
Squats - 165x5, x5
SLDL - 135x10
BP - 175x5, x5
DB Rows - 62.5x5, x5
BB Static Grip - 145 for 51 secs.

Squats were a little harder than I thought they would be. Tough but still a rep or two from failure. BP was very tough. Last few reps were a little wobbly. Other than that, everything went well.

MonStar
04-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Workouts look good TMan, but what kind of training are you doing. It looks like 5x5 HST or something along those lines. Got me all confused, lol.

TMan
04-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks, MonStar. lol, I keep changing things around as my shedule keeps getting screwed up so you probably are confused. What I'm doing now is an abbreviated full body workout very close to the one foudn in this article:

http://www.hardgainer.com/articles/33-76.html

I'll try this out for this week and, if I like it, stick with it until my life gets back to normal. It's short and only takes about 40 min. twice a week or so which is about the only time I have right now for training. I like it because it does 5 rep sets mostly but not a full blown 5x5.

MonStar
04-14-2003, 04:54 PM
LOL, jumping from routine to routine sounds like me.

I have been sticking to Westside for a good while now, so thats a good thing I guess.

TMan
04-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Found out yesterday that my business trip got delayed a week, so now I have a week and a half till my break. Been thinking about what to do post-break and with a little time til then I've decided to give HST a try. I've been wanting to try HST for almost a year now but never had the self-discipline to decondition for 9 days. Now with a 7 day trip ahead of me I've got a chance to decondition. So I'll be testing my 15, 10, and 5RMs till the trip. Today I tested the 15RMs. The exercise selection is based on typical full body routines and should work quite nicely.

OHP
90x10, 85x10
Overestimated myself here. At least I found my 10RM.

Squats
135x15
Tough but just shy of my 15RM. 140 should work just fine for 15RM.

SLDL
130x15
Same as squats - tough but not my 15RM. 135 will work for my 15RM.

BP
145x10, 135x10
Overestimated here too. I'm just not used to doing 15s. Found my 10RM though.

Bent Over BB Rows
135x15
Not too tough. 145 should work nicely for a 15RM.

BB Curl
65x12
Couldn't get 15. 60 might be too light for 15. I might go with 62.5.

Standing Calf Raises
140x15
Tough but just shy of 15RM. 145 will do.

Crunches
BW+15x15
Good weight here.

BB Shrugs
135x15
Good weight here as well.

TMan
04-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Tested my 10RMs and a couple of 15RMs tonight. My enthusiasm level towards working out has been a little low lately. The time off coming up is going to be good for me.

OHP
80x13
Testing for 15RM. Just a few reps short. I'll use 77.5 as my 15RM.

Squats
150x10
This is my 10RM.

SLDL
145x10
Few reps short of failure. I'll use 150 as 10RM.

BP
135x15
This is my 15RM.

Bent Over BB Rows
155x10
Few reps short of failure. I'll use 160 as 10RM.

BB Shrugs
155x10
Good weight here. This is my 10RM.

BB Curl
72.5x10
This is my 10RM.

Standing Calf Raises
155x10
Little easy, 160 should work for 10RM.

Crunches
BW+20x10
Good weight here.