PDA

View Full Version : Why did I stop gaining weight?

KingJustin
01-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi, I'll be brief..

I've gained about 30 lbs of almost all muscle in 2 months, moving from about 145 to 175. I have roughly the same stuff every day, trying to integrate new foods but I'm such a picky eater, which has been my problem my whole life..I guess I'm getting a little better, though. Anyways, the last week I've kept to eating 5,000 calories a day as I have the past couple months, but I'm just not gaining weight. Is my body becoming used to having so many calories that it's just not putting on weight or what? Thanks.

YellowJacket
01-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Well at 175 eating 5k calories a day its hard to believe you've gained 30lbs of muscle in 60 days. Impossible in fact. But anywas to your question- It gets tougher to gain weight as you get heavier, a physiological response from your body. It now takes more claories to maintain your current weight than previously, so you have to up the calories ot insure you're over your BMR (maintainence calories)

AstronautJones
01-01-2003, 06:18 PM
:withstupi

KingJustin
01-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I don't see how it's impossible to gain that much weight. I stopped running and started lifting (I do a push/pull workout and then rest for 1 day, then do it again and rest 2 days). I have extremely low body fat, and I have gained a lot of strength and muscle mass in the last couple months.. I figure 2,500 calories would keep my weight, and I was having 2,500 more calories each day. Every 2 days that's a lb and a spare 1,500 calories (according to an article I read on howstuffworks.com). But thanks.

YellowJacket
01-01-2003, 07:27 PM
At 145, your maintainence calories are right around 2400 Id guess, then if you eat 2500 calories over that you would be fat. Im not caling you a liar, I just thin you're mistaken. 5000 calories is in no way easy to do. Im 225 and I only get around 3750 when Im bulking. I dont see how someone that was 145 could eat 5000 consitantly. Anyways, 3500 calories = 1lb of fat. So if you're eating that much over your maintainence calories a day, theoretically you would be gaining about 1lb of fat every other day.

AstronautJones
01-01-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm currently bulking and also at the 225 lb. mark. I used to take in around 3700 or so cals, until I hit a sort of plateau. I upped my cal intake to around 4300 a day, and things seem to be back on track. :)

Berserker
01-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Just a random thought, strtaight from my bowels. After gaining 30 lbs are you reaching your potential? Which seems doubtful after 2 months. Unless your posting this in the wrong forum.

Bryan
01-01-2003, 10:53 PM
5000 calories?
Jesus at 145lbs? You must be mistaken, well unless you ate BK all day

bradley
01-02-2003, 03:55 AM
30lbs. in 60 days would be a feat for someone on AAS. Anyway if your weight gain has stagnated then increase your cals. I am curious as to what your daily diet looks like as well.

Stray
01-02-2003, 02:46 PM
:eek: I, too, am stunned.

You must spend alot of time in the bathroom.

Shao-LiN
01-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Yes, that's a bit much. If you truly are eating that much and not using any gear, then I imagine you gained quite a bit of fat.

01-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Maybe your calorie counting was a bit off? a 140lber eating 5000 daily is quite horrendous.

good weight gain nonetheless.

KingJustin
01-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Well, I won't see any of you ever in real life and I could care less what you think, and so as to lying about gaining 30 lbs it would be more or less pointless. I came here to ask why I had stopped gaining weight in hopes that I could find a solution.

My usual diet is almost the same every day ...it's:

Breakfast (1260 Calories):
Grape Juice, Apple Juice, Orange Juice
1 Glass of Milk (I only drink Skim Milk)
2 Packages of Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with another glass of milk
4 Eggo Waffles

Then my meal times switch, but I usually aim for 1000 calories each meal and try to have as many as possible...

Meal "2":
2 Food Lion Cheese Pizzas
2 Glasses of Milk

Meal "3":
Full Thing of Macoroni and Cheese with 2 glasses of milk (this is 1390 calories)...

Meal "4":
Cheese omlet, 2 Strips of Bacon after being on George Foreman Grill, 4 pieces of toast

Meal "5":
5 of those large buiscuits and a protien shake

I'll try to fit in a couple vegies and a centrum every day..

Then I'll try to also have either a couple grilled cheese or peanut butter/jelly sandwiches...those are less calories so I try to only have them within 1 hour of one another.

Maybe once every day I'll have an unlisted meal such as Lasagna or Chicken Divonne, etc, but I won't have those meals very often (meaning I won't have Lasagna but once a week, so it's pointless to list it, if that was confusing).

And yes I count calories and base just about everything around eating and lifting (the last couple months atleast). I am by no means even really close to as strong or big as I'd like to be, but I'd like to be able to get there as fast as possible...

I said it was mainly muscle because I'm not noticing gaining any fat, and I can lift about 50% more in most all areas than I could just a couple months ago. I very well may have gained fat, I don't know enough of the "biology" behind it....

Anyways, 2 questions..

#1 - What is the fastest someone could put on 30 lbs of muscle, and how would he go about doing that?

#2 - I understand that 3500 extra calories = 1 lb of fat, but then what's the deal with gaining muscle and lifting? Say 2,400 calories is how much I would need to sustain my weight) and I lift every other day. I'm burning, say, 500 calories from lifting weights. So then I would need 2,650 (half of the time I lift) calories a day to maintain my current weight, or is that wrong? Would I be gaining muscle and weight since I'm lifting? Thanks.

Oh, one more note that I should prolly add..
145 was probably the lowest I had been in around 6+ months, and was probably from running so much every day (Cross Country meant running 6-10 miles every other day, and then lung capacity/speed workouts the other days). I was probably extremely close to no fat, though I wasn't very strong, I could just do lots of reps for pushups/situps/pull-ups). My daily intake was probably around 2400 calories, and after running that probably caused me to lose weight.

raniali
01-02-2003, 04:34 PM
1. 30 lbs of *pure* muscle in one year for someone on gear would be spectacular, but possible. you might possibly be some sort of genetic freak if you really feel you did that in 2 months NATURALLY. it's obvious you have a very fast metabolism and are able to exist on a diet that isn't the most ideal for a growing bodybuilder. i don't know how old you are or your height -- but it is easier to build muscle in younger years than older.

2. 2650 seems an appropriate maintenance caloric intake for you ... if you had a normal metabolism. but since you seem to have a fast metabolism, that could be much higher and then there might not be an extra 2500 cals a day floating around on your current diet. The full proof formula for bulking (gaining muscle): EAT + TRAIN + REST = GROW .... but you have to eat enough to provide fuel and resources for your body to grow. So if you have stopped growing, eat more, train more or rest more. You need to decide which of those variables need adjustment.

pleez...if you can....post a pic.

Stray
01-02-2003, 04:36 PM
2 Food Lion Cheese Pizzas

Full Thing of Macoroni and Cheese

Cheese omlet

a couple grilled cheese

Not to dwell on the matter, but do you honestly think someone eating all that crap WOULDN'T gain any fat?

trying to integrate new foods but I'm such a picky eater,

You don't seem to be too discriminating to me. ;)

KingJustin
01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Haha yes I have way too much ****ing cheese in my diet (or atleast it should be something other than cheese). I try to keep low on fat by eating low fat cheeses, but it probably doesn't help much.

Also, I'm not trying to be a body builder or anything. Before I trained for cross country, and now I'm trying to be in the best shape I can for lacrosse. I guess it seems like I couldn't have put on all muscle, but it was without a doubt not all fat, and probably wasn't very close to all fat.

I'd post a picture but I don't have a digital camera or anything....

But, basically my first question...
Is it possible that my body just adjusted to getting so many calories, and so now it's not really gaining much weight, or is it solely that I'm more weight than before?

I know the eat+sleep+muscle failure (or atleast for the most part) = muscle growth, but I feel like my workouts are just as intense as before and over the break I got even more sleep than usual...

Shao-LiN
01-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Don't think anyone said you gained ALL fat, but quite a bit. It could be half muscle, half fat.

KingJustin
01-02-2003, 07:14 PM
I guess I wouldn't be all that suprised, and I don't really mind gaining a bit, as it's probably healthier for me to have a bit more than I did...I was pretty much trying to follow a diet/training guide posted by someone like 4 months ago (I didn't really get a chance at the time because I was still running). He said to have like a new meal every 2 - 2 and a half hours, and focus on mainly milk, cheese, eggs and meat, and I've been trying to ...

smalls
01-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Holy **** people. Regardless of what you did you didnt gain, yes your body now needs more calories(since you have more muscle) in order to grow. Like somebody already said your bmr has increased so you need more cals. Up it by 200 or so and continue to increase if you need to.

You already got the point that the 30 lbs wasnt all muscle. Still congrats. And I ate 4800 clean cals at around 170 so I dont think your cals seem that outrageous given what your eating.

Shao-LiN
01-03-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by smalls
And I ate 4800 clean cals at around 170 so I dont think your cals seem that outrageous given what your eating.

He ate more than you and weighed about 30 pounds less.

bradley
01-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Averaging a half a pound a day is a lot IMO.

01-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Averaging a half a pound a day is a lot IMO.

IMO I agree with your opinin. :D

smalls
01-03-2003, 05:24 PM
My point was that he eats disgustingly high calorie foods, which would make it much easier. I just dont understand why people where calling bluff on his caloric intake, obviously the gains werent all muscle, and he now understands that, but there is no reason he couldnt take in that many cals.