PDA

View Full Version : April 12-13 (a temporary journal)

Pages : [1] 2

Saturday Fever
01-03-2003, 01:12 PM
OK, so the USAPL Northern California Championships are on April 12-13. I plan to get into them and compete, but whether I'm in the 198s or 220s is to be determined. Of course I'd like to be lighter, but since the goal for the year is to reach 240, I won't complain either way. I'll be doing Westside (duh) but rather than set out a routine, I'm just going to work and feel out my weaknesses and alter days to overcome those weaknesses. I'm going to set my diet at 5000 calories a day.

Goals for the meet are a 3-4-5 total. 315 on bench, 405 on squats or deads, and 495 on deads or squats. It's a USAPL meet so I know I have to learn to squat deeper than I'm used to squatting, but hard work is the new buzzword. I'm going to get a bench shirt, a Fury if anyone is curious. I won't work with it until the last 6 weeks before the meet, and even then just to get a better, more secure bearing on benchind with a wide grip. I am debating a squat suit, we'll touch that topic again in 2 months.

Paul Stagg
01-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Have you recently tested your maxes?

Don't worry so much about setting poundage goals... just go lift. Trust me... it's hard to do, but makes the experience a heck of a lot more fun.

Saturday Fever
01-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Testing my maxes, without a judge aside from my training partner, is listed in my signature. I agree though, I will keep a goal, but really I just want to lift and get some true numbers to beat later.

Paul Stagg
01-03-2003, 02:44 PM
How recent are those?

Saturday Fever
01-03-2003, 05:07 PM
All within 2 months time.

MonStar
01-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Good luck getting your strength up for the meet SF. Really looking forward to seeing how you do. I am sure youll do fine.

Santiago
01-04-2003, 07:16 AM
If you decide on a suit, get a champion suit from monster muscle. Best 40 bucks you can spend. I've had mine for about 9 months and I love it.

Saturday Fever
01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
OK, the journey begins tomorrow. Things are settled now finally, so I'm going to be able to get started. I think I'm going to basically do tons of main lift work and add in assistance work when I find new weak points. So a ME Bench day might look like this...

95x5
135x5
155x3 on 5 board
185x3 on 3 board
205x3 on 3 board
215x? on 2 board
225x? on 2 board

...followed up with low volume, extreme intensity triceps work or whatever has been a weakpoint. Bands and such will get tossed in of course, and as soon as I get a shirt, it'll be incorporated as well.

MonStar
01-09-2003, 04:57 AM
Looks good man. I think that you will definitely be able to up your lifts a good bit by the contest. Really looking forward to seeing how you do. A legitimate 250 lbs. bench, 3 plate squat, and 4 plate deadlift would be impressive though man. Even though I am sure youre striving for more.

Saturday Fever
01-10-2003, 06:06 PM
ME Bench

I straight ripped **** today, by my standards. My alcohol strike is in full effect so my body feels "clean." I have also been excessing on calories like a madman. Here's my diet for today (and the last 3 days):

Meal 1: 2 cups oatmeal w/ brown sugar, 6 egg omelette, 1 serving N-Large
Meal 2: 2 servings N-Large
Meal 3: 1lb Turkey, 1lb steamed carrots, 1 cup steamed rice, 1 Glutamax shake
Post-workout: 1 Pepsi, 2 servings N-Large, 1 Altoid (word to sugar)
Meal 4: 2 chicken breasts, 1 cup steamed rice, 1 Glutamax shake

5 and 6 are coming but the last 3 days they've been 1-2lb turkey/chicken/fish, rice, veggies and a glutamax shake. Before bed I kill a double shot of N-Large.

So the workout today went something like this...

Bench (off the chest with a 1sec. pause)
45x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
185x3
215x3
225x3
245x1
260x1

I started to lose my straight bar path on the last 2 singles, so I decided some upper back/rear delt work was in order.

Elbows-out Skulls
5 sets of 6 with 105lbs

Killin it.

Chest Supported Rows
4 plates for 3 reps
3 plates and a 25 for 6
3 plates for 6

Rear Delt Mini-band Pulls
Did 3 sets of 8

So that was that, smashed PR on the bench and ripped some ass on triceps and my back. I'm on fire, I can't be stopped. I'll be weighing myself every Friday from now on. Today I weighed in at 196.

MonStar
01-10-2003, 06:17 PM
AWESOME session SF!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Damn I really like the way your journal looks. Great to see your meals and all that. What is Glutamax? And how the hell do you afford all that N-Large man? I am assuming that those bench maxes were legitimate, correct? In other words they werent suspended lifts were they? I cant tell because you said 'off of the chest.' In other words I cannot tell if you unracked the weight and all that. Benched 260 with a friggin' pause off your chest man, thats friggin' NUTS! Good work.

Hey what kind of chest supported rows are they? I am wondering if its the same thing that I use. Mine is a Paramount machine, great for my lats. What kind of grip did you use for them?

Saturday Fever
01-10-2003, 09:28 PM
I buy N-Large at cost from a coworker who doubles at a Nutri-Sport store. So I'm spending around $22 a bucket on mine, and I bought 10. Actually a big gamble on my part because historically I've been really lazy about making shakes. But I'm determined and I'm ready to do this.

The bench was legit, I think. I unracked, brought it to my chest, held for 1 second, and pushed as usual. I just had strength today. I put my grip between my usual grip and a wide grip.

I'll see if I can hunt down a pic of the row.

MonStar
01-10-2003, 09:34 PM
SF: Okay SF, awesome work on the bench man. Really seriosuly impressive. Wessstttiiidddeee baby! Exciting man especially since I am training very similar to how you are. I would love to hit 315 on bench. I am shooting for 500 on deadlifts next Thursday. Damn I am going to be excited if I get it.

Yeah I am interested to see the pic of the row.

Saturday Fever
01-11-2003, 05:06 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

Once again, I ****ed **** up. I had a small audience for the deadlift, as most had never seen one and the rest figured I was being dumb trying to pull it. I'm happy to say I taught some people the deadlift and I showed the others up.

Deadlift (sumo style of course)
45x5
135x5
185x1
225x1
255x1
295x1
365x1
405x1
425x1
455x1
460x1

I was pulling like a madman. It was almost better than sex. Almost, I said.

Good AMs
5 sests of 5 with 185

I took these low as hell and I think I might actually be typing this dead.

Hyperextensions
3 sets of 8 with a 35lb plate and a miniband

Food and such was right on target. I'm happy to say I finished my 2nd tub of N-Large this morning and have begun demolishing the third. I ran out of Glutamax as well, so perhaps I'll find something to replace it with. Or maybe I'll just eat more!. Anyways, I feel like I could beat anyone's ass, but only if they give me a couple days to recover.

MonStar
01-11-2003, 05:17 PM
SF: AWESOME work on the deadlifts man!! Jesus you are tearing it up.. setting new PBs all over the friggin' place. Talk about impressive. Damn youre beating me now bro. I dont know how youre making such huge jumps in strength. Good work though SF---and keep up the hard work man!! :D:D

Saturday Fever
01-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I dont know how youre making such huge jumps in strength.

It's all about having 5 days in a row with over 8000 calories. Yes I'm going to become a huge fatass eventually, but I'll trade some fat for excess energy anyday. :)

Saturday Fever
01-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Oh, and not that tiday is an "official" weigh-in day, the scale this morning read 204. That's 8 pounds from yesterday, so we'll assume that's a lot of water and some food still in my body waiting to digest.

Hercule
01-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Good Lord SF!!!! I was trying to catch up to you, but you are leaving me totally in the dust. You are unreal man. Are you dabblin in the goodies or something? You are like a totally new man. SOmething is definately going on. You are dropping old PR's like flys. I am utterly shocked.

Saturday Fever
01-11-2003, 05:36 PM
No goodies for me. I attribute it to the accelerated diet. I have complained from day 1 that my diet was off. Not to mention that I feel I was overtraining before without knowing it. I was duplicating some of the Westside guy's routines, but not duplicating their "supplements" if you get my drift. So I took a couple weeks off to get settled and load up on energy.

You are like a totally new man.

I have taken an entirely new approach to the gym. I used to go to the gym, listen to whatever was on the radio on the way. I'd get in, smile and talk with the hot girl at the counter, get changed and workout. Now it's all about being intense. I've burned cd's with intense music to listen to on the way and during the workout. I've thrown my gloves away and started using chalk. I just feel more like I'm there on a mission. By the meet in April I'm going to weigh 220+ and there's no way I'm showing up weighing that much and lifting like a 136lb girl. No offense to the ladies here.

But it's all about diet and intensity, I've always bitched about both and now I'm doing something about it.

MonStar
01-11-2003, 05:52 PM
SF: Wow, some awesome posts here. Good job on the lifts. I mean theyre seriously impressive as hell. (glad to see you modified your signature ;)) Again, good work! Nice work really getting serious about your diet and all that. Thats seriously a really important part of strength training that I think many of us overlook. Good job also tossing out those stupid gloves, chalk and weights baby!! Again, keep up the hard work. Weight kind of weights do you think youll be tossing around by the competition? I would love to see you bench 3 plates, pull 5 plates,. and squat 4 plates.

Hercule
01-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Man SF, you have sure inspired me. That is definite ambition and enthusiasm toward your goal. I think I should maybe modify my diet as well, I could prolly use and extra thousand or two calories. Keep it up man. If you keep working hard like you are now and keep making gains, you will definately clean up in April. Excellent job!

Saturday Fever
01-12-2003, 11:32 AM
The calories are easy to do considering the amount of N-Large I'm consuming in a day (600+ calories per serving). Today I was busy with a bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts on the Foreman Grill, because I wanted to make a lot of food to have to eat and snack on during the week. But instead I ate half the bag and now I only have 7 breasts left for the week. :(

I'm really hoping for the 3-4-5 at the meet. But I have no idea what to expect with regards to rules and judging and such. Hopefully if I get red-flagged for not squatting deep enough or something, I will at least have a serious amount of weight on my shoulders. I just don't want to get flagged for depth and only have 275 up there, you know? And the dead at 460 was the slowest thing ever. I've had sex faster than the time it took me to get the weight up. (no, really)

At any rate, yes I would definitely say diet is among the top 2 for things to focus on for strength training. The other being a solid routine, of course.

Saturday Fever
01-12-2003, 11:53 AM
I don't mean to be gross or anything, but seriously, I've had some horrendous gas since putting my protein intake through the roof. It got so bad earlier I lost the ability to see in my right eye and my neighbor's dog keeled over dead. :(

Saturday Fever
01-13-2003, 03:16 PM
DE Bench Day

Did well today, enjoyed the session, which is rare for me because I hate speed work. But alls well that ends OK.

Speed Bench
45x3
95x3
135x3
195x3 (8)

Speed was good I suppose. I forgot to use 3 grips, so everything was done with my usual close grip.

6" Lockouts
3 sets of 8 with 275

OH Dumbell Ext
30x6 (3)

OH DB Press (on a swiss ball)
25x10 (3)

Man. Everything was all good until we jumped on the swiss ball for the OH Press. That was the most humbling experience ever. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cheated on a number of reps. My triceps feel thoroughly destroyed.

Paul Stagg
01-13-2003, 03:24 PM
That dead is awesome.

Drop your DE bench weight by 20-30 pounds, and see if the speed improves. Also - don't forget your lats.

Well done!

Saturday Fever
01-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I agree with the speed weight. I should edit my post and reword that the speed was good considering I was using too much weight. And thanks for the compliments. If all goes well I'll make up the lats work on my DE Sq/DL Day.

Saturday Fever
01-14-2003, 11:08 PM
DE Sq/DL Day

OK, I'm not too sure what's up here. I used bands on my speed squats for the first time ever and it changed the lift completely. Speed went to hell on the sets with bands.

Speed Squats
45x5
95x5
135x3 (3)
115x2 (4) with the minis doubled

Like I said, speed with the bands was hilarious. It just felt "weird."

GHR Bastardization
3 sets of 6 with 45lb

Romanian DL (stance close, feet about 8" apart)
5 sets of 5 with 185

Hanging Leg Raise
5 sets of 10

So that was that. All in all a good session, nothing extraordinary. MY GHR Bastardization is basically an "incline hyper" where at the top you can pull exclusively with the hams and pull further still. It may not even be close to a true GHR but I have no other name for it and it hurts like hell and so it shall be deemed the GHR Bastardization.

Saturday Fever
01-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Maybe I've become female and pregnant, but chicken breasts and peanut butter are really good together.

MonStar
01-15-2003, 11:18 AM
LOL chicken breasts and peanut butter huh SF? Doesnt sound too good to me. Anyway man good job on the workout. Romanians look intense, and good work with the bands.

Saturday Fever
01-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Well it started out as 3 chicken breasts, 2 apples and a spoonful of peanut butter to dip the apple slices in. But it slowly became 2 chicken breasts, no apple slices, and a half a spoonful of peanut butter. So I figured "what the heck?" It really isnt so bad once you get past the texture of the two combined. I guess it's a good thing I didn't get any bright ideas about mixing the peanut butter with my rice. :eek:

MonStar
01-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Damn SF, crazy taste in food, haha. Whatever I guess calories are calories right? Peanut butter and rice just sounds nasty..

Chris Rodgers
01-15-2003, 04:16 PM
How did you have the bands setup? For DE squats I use the purple/pink bands and choke them around two dumbells. I think if you are anchoring them from floor level, doubling the bands for squats is too much. If you have the light bands, I'd try those choked next time.

Saturday Fever
01-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I had them wrapped around some dumbbells on the floor. The weight didn't feel so heavy as much as it was just so different. I'll try your idea next time.

Saturday Fever
01-16-2003, 12:16 PM
WOO! My equipment arrived! I got the Combo Power Rack-Reverse Hyper-GHR package from elitefts.com a while back and it finally got here. I've had bars and plates and db's forever, and now I can actually use them! That is, of course, as soon as I get everything put together and bolted down and such. So I'm off to the gym for ME Bench and then I'm spending the day putting my dungeon together.

MonStar
01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Are you going to be training at home now SF? Sounds exciting. GHR sounds like a hell of an exercise.

Saturday Fever
01-16-2003, 01:15 PM
ME Bench Day

Not too shabby. I was mostly motivated to get done so I could construct my new toys, but I managed to get some good solid work in.

2 Board Press (with doubled minis)
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3
215x1
225x1
235x1 (barely)

Floor Press
5 sets of 5 with 185

Incline Elbws-out Skulls
3 sets of 8 with 105

Band Pulls (laid on the floor and pulled the band back first with my delts, then with my tris)
5 sets of 3 with miniband

So that was that. I was tearing through. The "trainer" just looked at me when I got the bands doubled under the dumbbells and then added a 2board to my chest. I almost offered to let him try it out, but I figured if the guy was a true trainer he would ask. Also, I weighed in at 210 today. Tomorrow is the official weigh-in day but if today is any indicator I am up 14 pounds. Long live eating like a fatty!

MonStar
01-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Good job on the 2-board press SF. I am wondering why you barely got 235 on board presses? Seems a little strange since your 1RM of regular bench presses is what, 260 now?

Saturday Fever
01-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Accomodating resistance. The bands constantly add resistance as you get closer to lockout. It was about 4" from lockout where the tension got to be almost too much. Likewise you have to fight the bar down. If you let it down with too much speed the bands will drive it right through the boards. (not literally)

It's nearly impossible to accurately judge how much "weight" you're doing with bands, the debate has been held many times in many places, but suffice to say I was probably lifting 260 or more in resistance when I got close to lockout. LATMAN would maybe have a more accurate guess.

Saturday Fever
01-16-2003, 02:00 PM
And yes, I'll be doing most of my training at home now, if not all of it. If I find my dungeon lacks something I'll buy it I guess, unless I realize a day will be impacted, then I'll head to the gym until that days equipment can be included.

Chris Rodgers
01-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Damn you!! You must be doing ok in the cash department to be grabbing those toys from Dave. ;) Good luck getting them all together. I'm jealous.

Chris Rodgers
01-16-2003, 03:12 PM
When the mini bands are doubled from around floor level, in total they add ~60-80 lbs at lockout. This is what I have been told and also seems right from experience.

MonStar
01-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Damn SF I didnt even see that you were using bands, my fault man. Good job.

Saturday Fever
01-17-2003, 10:53 AM
OK so the stuff took forever to put together. I got almost no sleep I was up so late, but it's done, and I'm about to do my ME Sq/DL session. It's going to suck because I had no sleep but I'm too anxious to wait!

TMan
01-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Getting new toys is fun, isn't it? I put my power rack together and worked out on it right afterwards. I couldn't wait!

Saturday Fever
01-17-2003, 11:30 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

Well, considering I was tired and I usually don't workout in the AM, I'd say things went well. I also tried something new today with a bastardized suspended Good AM/Squat. Cut the volume short because I had no gas at the end.

Suspended Good AMs (actually came off like a combination of a Good AM and a Squat)
45x5
95x3
135x3
155x3
185x3
205x1
225x1

Holy hand grenades Monty! The pins were set right about even with my nuts and I'm 6'4. So I think they were set really low. I couldn't keep my knees stiff that low so I let them bend and the lift almost looked like a bottom up squat, but as the bar got to waist level or so I stiff-legged it and completed it Good AM-style. Very nasty feel to the hams.

GHR Bastardization (I didn't assemble the GHR or Reverse Hyper yet)
3 sets of 5 with 40lb

Found a new way to do these. Instead of a plate, I held a DB behind my neck, much easier to hold onto.

DB Row
3 sets of 8 with 70s

And that was that. Short and exhausting as hell.

Saturday Fever
01-17-2003, 12:09 PM
So I enrolled in Anatomy & Physiology at the local college. Here's the course description...

Description: This course provides instruction on the principles of human anatomy and physiology emphasizing the integration of structure and function. The topics covered are anatomical terminology, chemistry, cells, histology, articulations and the integumentary, skeletal, muscular and nervous systems.

I needed the 5 units to complete my science requirements. I haven't actually gone to college in years. (6 to be exact)

Saturday Fever
01-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I just weighed in at 207. Last Friday I was 196. I just ate dinner. I will have pictures soon.

MonStar
01-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Awesome weight now SF!! I guess youre pushing 207 now thats great. Good to hear. Keep on eating man. Eat and eat and eat and eat and eat. I am going to give suspended GMs a shot.

Saturday Fever
01-17-2003, 10:52 PM
You'll like them. They're difficult, that's for sure, but well worth the effort.

Saturday Fever
01-18-2003, 01:07 PM
So I got the GHR and Reverse Hyper built and bolted so my dungeon is complete. My girlfriend decided she had to help break in the gear, so she hit some deadlifts. Not that I'm going to track my girlfriend here, but I was impressed with her lifting so here's what she did today...

Sumo Deadlift
45x5
95x5
135x5
155x3
185x3
205x1
225x1
245x1

Did I mention she's 5'4 and weighs 120? I know I sound like a dork, but I was impressed.

Chris Rodgers
01-18-2003, 01:20 PM
That's awesome!! How long has she been doing deads for?

Saturday Fever
01-18-2003, 01:30 PM
3 months or so. When I finally convinced her she wouldn't turn into a Ms Olympia look-a-like, she took a liking to Westside. Now if she'd just get serious about the bench days...

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Thats awesome for your girlfriend SF! Yeah I had to have the same talk with mine. You wont look like a huge female bodybuilder on steroids if you workout, etc.

Saturday Fever
01-19-2003, 01:31 PM
DE Bench Day

Well, I feel like a man again today. Worked my ass off and did very well by my standards. I'm loving the power rack for bench. I don't have to half-press the bars up to get started anymore and that makes a helluva difference.

Speed Bench
115x3 (8)
155x1 (2)
185x1
205x1

Speed was excellent on the first sets. It stayed good, though it slowed relative to the increase in weight. 205, surprisingly enough, felt like a feather. I think I'm going to hit 315 in April with no problems.

5 Board Press
225x5 (2)
245x4
275x2
185x10

Standing Military Press
2 sets of 8

Bentover BB Rows
3 sets of 6
2 sets of 3
1 set of 1 with 307.5

Yes, I have 1.25lb plates and they rule!

And so that was that. I feel really really good today. The unofficial weight today is 209 and the unofficial post-workout flexed arm measurement came in at 16.25". So in addition to feeling stronger, I'm looking more like a macho macho man. And not in any village people sort of way. :)

Saturday Fever
01-21-2003, 12:53 PM
DE Sq/DL Day

So this was a day where I decided to go nutty on myself. This was also yesterday, but *cough* things were postponed whilst kimpy beat Hulk up.

Speed Squat
45x3
135x2 (4)
185x2 (2)
Speed was lighting up pretty well, so I said "What the hell?"

Speed Deadlifts
275x2 (5)

Blowing up.

Reverse Hyper
225x5 (3)

Oh my. Not just weird, extremely aggrivating to my lower back. Perhaps I did something wrong, I'll be watching clips on the internet to make sure I'm doing these right.

Abs
5 sets of 10

I hate abs. If I could make a legitimate argument for not doing them at all, I would and I'd stop doing them forever. But they're necessary, so I'll do them, dammit.

MonStar
01-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Your bench and deadlift strength is really friggin' insane man. I am completely serious. If you hit 3 plates by April I am going to friggin' die. 55 lbs. on your bench in only a few months is completely insane. 300+ BB rows are friggin' insane too man. I dont know how the hell you turned around completely all the sudden. Strength wise more than anything. Focus seems to be right on SF. 16 and 1/4" biceps is friggin' awesome too man, and 209 is great. Good work!

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 02:27 AM
My rowing strength has always been pretty good by my standards. My speed deads weren't so out of the ordinary. Last time I did them I used 245. I'm rather pleased with the weight, though. Curious to see how the old bioimpedance fat test turns out Friday. :)

Paul Stagg
01-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Good stuff, both you and your GF.

Another youngster who is going to total higher than me in a lower weight class...

You guys are great motivators. I guess I'm going to have to do suspended (bottom position) good mornings from nut level today as my ME Squat, and get 315, huh?

As an aside - I haven't stepped on a scale lately, but I *look* and feel bigger, I've been eating like a freak - my appetite is non stop, and I really don't seem to have put on much if any chubbiness. Gotta like that.

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I've added a good amount of weight, but I don't feel sluggish or fat. And I don't think I look fat by any means.

And I'd definitely do Suspended Good AMs. It is a crazy lift. I've even had ideas of adding bands to them! :eek:

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 12:19 PM
ME Bench Day

Well, today was a decent day. Been having some crazy stomach cramping lately. I imagine it's due to eating like such a fatass, but I'm not woried about it. I've got some peppermint and fiber supplements rolling strong. Decided to roll out some new ideas today and I think things went well.

4 Board press (CLOSE grip. Index fingers well into the center smooth)
45x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
185x3
205x3
225x3
245x3
255x1
275x1

I proceeded to take a 20 minute break after this as I had to empty my guts. Whilst sitting on the pot I decided that my triceps strength is definitely not my weakpoint on bench, as my lockouts and board presses have been doing well. Instead I'm weak off the chest. My straight bar path was good off of 4 boards, so I need to add in lots of lats work.

Suspended Bench (set less than 1" above my chest)
3 sets of 5

1 Arm DB Row (grip was between parallel and underhand)
3 sets of 8 with 80lb

1 Arm Tricep Pushdown
2 sets of 6

Band Pulls
2 sets with miniband

Happy with the day considering the break my stomach forced me to take. I'm going to ease up on lats all week for a couple weeks, with the exception of DE bench where I'll be destroying them.

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 02:53 PM
I suppose I should edit my signature now. I intentionally waited until after I'd eaten a ton to weigh myself today. I realize it's an unofficial weigh-in day, but the scale today is reading 211. I'm going to go to the old gym this evening to play basketball, but I'll be doing a bf% test when I'm there. So we'll see how it goes.

Chris Rodgers
01-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Adding bands to suspended GM's is ACE!!

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 04:08 PM
I was going to ask you if you'd ever done this. It sounds absolutely brutal, so I may have to employ them tomorrow.

MonStar
01-22-2003, 08:00 PM
SF:

I am wondering man, what kind of weight did you use for sets of 5 on suspended bench? Great exercise isnt it?

Awesome strenght on 4-board presses! And with a close-grip, thats insane!

Saturday Fever
01-22-2003, 10:40 PM
I used 185 the first 2 sets and 165 the last 3 sets. I was a lot more exhausted than I thought I should have been, but then again, at the time I didn't take into account that I'm halfway sick right now.

I was happy with the 4 boards. I realize now that my triceps are one of my stronger points on bench and need to focus a lot on lats and a bit more on delts.

Saturday Fever
01-23-2003, 10:45 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

So the day of reckoning. I built a box that's only 9" tall. I stand 6'4. I want to squat really low so that when the meet gets here, I can be pleasantly surprised with depth. Got a little nutty during the workout. We had the stereo so loud we had cops come during the day to tell us to calm down. **** my neighbors, we were busy busting ass.

9" Box Squats
45x5
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
315x1
355x1
385x0
380x1

Squat low....sweet chariot....OK that was gay, but by the time I reached 355, we were yelling at each other lie maniacs, cussing at the bars, blasting the music and probably had my neighbors fearing the end of the world.

GHR
5 sets of 12

Romanian Deadlifts
2 sets of 6 with 315

The testosterone was flowing strong. I gave out the weightlifting grunt with every rep, took half a second to breathe in, and powered through. It got nuts. Both sets were done in under 2 minutes, including my partner's sets.

Good day of lifting. I look forward to the rest of the day and tomorrow off to rest. I'm going to try to do lots of sled pulling tomorrow to speed recovery and I think I'm going to make the spa my best friend for a while. Speed work on the weekend, and the first real test to my alcohol strike when the Super Bowl gets here.

Adam
01-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Sweet PR on the box squats!!! That would be a low box for me and im only a stumpy 5'7

Saturday Fever
01-23-2003, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping to train really low and then not have to go nearly as low at the meet so I can suqat much bigger when it counts. Especially since I'm going to be competing in at least the 220s, I want to have numbers comparable with the rest of the field.

Saturday Fever
01-23-2003, 01:10 PM
OK, so I purchased a bioimpedance toy from the local medical supply shop and decided to give it a go. On the usual scale, and with today not being the "official" weigh day, I stripped down to my underoos and stepped onto the scale. 212.

So I threw some batteries in the tester, squared myself away and punched in my data:

height: 6'4
weight: 212
sex: male

And the testing began. It counted out some tallies, beeped, and my reading came back. 13%

So when I started my "eat like a fatass" routine I weighed 190@9%:

173lb lean
17lb fat

Now I weigh 212@13%:

185lb lean
27lb fat

So my diet/routine has produced 12lb lean and 10lb fat in the past 3-4 weeks or so. Given the accuracy/inaccuracy of the bioimpedance test.

Chris Rodgers
01-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm curious as to what your form is on box squats. Something justs seems weird. I realize you haven't maxed squats in a while, but your best was 315. Squatting down to a 9" box is ridiculous for anyone, but especially someone well over 6' tall.

I recently squatted down to a 10" box and I am shorter than you by 9". My max off of it was 100+ lbs less than my max comp squat....and I kicked ass on the box compared to everyone else.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just strange. I've seen box squats done right, on video and in person(John Bott and his crew). I know form on them is proper and I can't imagine lifting more on them than a regular squat.

Let me just finish by saying congrats on the PR. I am not trying to sound like somebody who is doubting someone elses lift, I'm more interested in helping if perhaps someone is performing an exercise wrong.

Paul Stagg
01-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Ditto - That's a HUGE box squat... my max off a 10 inch box is 335, and my gym squat PR is 405... and I'm 5 inches shorter than you are. If you got 380 on a 9 inch box, your meet squat is going to be 450+

Given your dead is so much higer than your squat (460 vs 315) I'm sure your squat potential is much more than the 315.. but that's still a hell of a lift.

Saturday Fever
01-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Perhaps form is an issue. I'll get a video clip next ME session and post it for you guys to take a look at. I've actually been thinking about posting video clips from each workout similar to the guys over at www.growordie.com so folks can see what's up in my dungeon. I'll see about getting something like this put together over the weekend.

Saturday Fever
01-24-2003, 12:46 PM
212 today. And today is the "official" weigh-in day.

MonStar
01-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Insane amount of weight on the box squats SF, really really impressive man. Good work. Weighing 212 is also friggin' insane. How much do you plan to weigh at the competition?

Saturday Fever
01-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I want to weigh as much as 240 but no less than 220. I'm still not looking chunky, so I'm not going to alter diet or anything yet. And I'm on pace to blow through 240. The goal now is to begin taking more of my own advice. I've been reading through a lot of posts I've made in the last 3 months and realized there are a lot of ideas I've proposed or passed on that I'm not following myself. So I'm going to focus on really doing things right. Also, I want to have my squatting "reviewed" by some of the big squatters here to make sure I'm not doing anything bad at the expense of getting extra weight up.

Chris Rodgers
01-25-2003, 08:44 AM
That would be an awesome idea with the videos man. I tried to that, but I am too retarted to get the clips on the computer. I have a digital video camera and the equipment. I can play them on my computer, it's just when I captured the video on the comp, it gets all messed up(speed looks like fast forward). I dunno.

Saturday Fever
01-25-2003, 12:11 PM
DE Bench Day

Went well today. I love my dungeon. One of the better ideas I've had to spend money in the past 6 years or so.

Speed Bench (only used a normal and close grip)
95+MBx3 (8)

Speed was good, but it was obvious I hadn't done speed work with bands in a while. I damn near knocked the wind out of myself twice.

4"Lockouts
225x6
275x4
295x4
315x2 (2)

Elbows-out Skulls
135x5
110x6 (2)

Chest Supported Row
2 sets of 6 with 4 plates
1 set of 3 with 5 plates

DB OH Press (palms facing, on a ball)
2 sets of 6

The OH Press on the ball is a pain in the ass. Especially as a finisher. I fight to get the weight up so hard that when I finally do, the momentum makes me bounce on the ball. But I think the session went well. Really pleased with the supported row. Someday I will have a fearable back.

MonStar
01-25-2003, 04:27 PM
I am assuming that your dungeon is your basement SF? Sounds like an awesome gym man. Damn would I LOVE to start investing in a home gym. Power rack, support row, etc. etc. etc. Anyway man, workouts have been looking GREAT. I mean, I honestly think that youre going to smoke 3 plates on bench, 4 on squat, and 5 on deadlift. Good luck with it man.

Saturday Fever
01-25-2003, 04:37 PM
I bought a toolshed a while back that I intended to someday hold lawn mowers and various household tools. Instead it is now home to my dungeon. The supported row was actually a ghetto-rigged lift. I don't have a chest supported row so we buried a bar in the corner and used a piece of an old "all-in-one" gym to lean over. Worked pretty well, though. And I hope to go watch a meet in the next few weeks to make sure what I have to do to get green lights, and hopefully I can handle my goals under the guidelines.

MonStar
01-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Good luck with the meet SF, I think youll tear it up though man---I really really do. Looking forward to seeing how you do. I cant imagine you doing anything but excellent. Talk about a turn around. I feel like just the other day you were stuck at 235-240 on bench, 315 on squat, and 405 on deadlift. Intensity also seemed to have completely flipflopped.

Saturday Fever
01-25-2003, 05:03 PM
I said it long ago in my first journal, and I'll say it again today. When my diet is on, I'm on. I still slow in the same spot as before, but the energy I'm taking in is what's carried me.

Chris Rodgers
01-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Make sure you look for white lights, not green, or you will be in for a long day. ;)

Saturday Fever
01-25-2003, 05:18 PM
Oops. :D

Saturday Fever
01-26-2003, 11:11 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

Word. Worked early because of the Kings game and then the Super Bowl. I'm not even a football fan, but the Raiders are the "local" team so I'm mildly interested. At any rate, the morning session went well.

Speed Squats
135x2 (8)
135+MBx2 (2)

Still have a hard time with the bands on there.

GHR
3 sets of 8

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 6 with 185

Felt WAY better.

Abs
5 sets of 10

And that was that.

Chris Rodgers
01-26-2003, 11:43 AM
How did you hook up the bands for the squats? Of course they take a little getting used to, but with just minis you should be smoking that weight. You may have the setup wrong.

Saturday Fever
01-27-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm setting DBs on the floor and the bands go around the DBs and then up around the bar. It's not that the weight felt heavy, it just makes it feel really weird sitting back and it kills my speed.

Saturday Fever
01-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Just a sidenote. I'm a Raiders fan. So why can't other Raiders fans just admit that Callahan and Gannon choked? I've heard more whining and excuses, but the fact remains. Our MVP quarterback choked worse than any other QB in history.

Chris Rodgers
01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
When you say around the dumbells, do you choke one end to the dumbell and the other up around the bar? Or are you putting both loops around the bar and having the band run under the dumbell? The second scenario would be how you double the bands and nobody does that for squats, just bench.

Saturday Fever
01-27-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm not doubling them. I loop one end under the DB and the other end over the bar. It's not even a resistance issue as much as having the bands pull me back down when I'm already trying to descend quickly. Just need some time to get the feel.

Saturday Fever
01-28-2003, 10:12 AM
ME Bench Day

Decided to go with extra volume today, and completely abandoned the lats work I swore I was going to work on. But I lifted strong. Decided to go with a wide grip on the ME lift. I figure if it feels weird and I lift weak then it doesn't matter since nobody is watching.

2 Board Press (index on the rings, feels funny)
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3
215x3
245x1
265x1
275x0 (2)

275 just wasn't coming up. 265 felt really weak but perhaps it was the shorter ROM that made it get up. I'd really like for my shirt to arrive soon so I can learn to lift with it.

CG Bench (first 2 fingers in the smooth)
3 sets of 5 with 225

There was much struggling on these and the third set actually had a few semi-assisted reps.

Triple-Set Shoulders (front raise, side raise, rear raise supersetted)
2 sets of 8 with 20lb'ers

Tate Press
5 sets of 10 with 35lb'ers

OK. I feel like a new lifter who got into the gym and tried a FLEX routine. My body is sore and swollen. It's cool though, I feel like I should go pose in front of a mirror and make my pecs bounce. Strength maintained throughout the workout, surprisingly enough. I will be doing much lower volume next time around.

Saturday Fever
01-29-2003, 11:38 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

Went in looking to lift large. Left with an accomplished feeling. Now I'm not saying I set any world records by any means, but by my standards, the weight was flying.

Deadlift (sumo, standing on 5" Reebok steps)
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
345x1 (removed the blocks on the steps, made it about 3")
405x1
425x1 (coming right off the floor now)
465x1
495x0

I half knew the 495 wasn't coming up, but I had to try. I was feeling pretty beat by the 465 single. Working from lower than usual with the steps is really tough. I think it exposed that my lower back is the weak link in my posterior chain.

DB Row (grip halfway between parallel and underhand)
3 sets of 6 with 80

Bentover Rear Delt Raise
2 sets of 10 with 20

GHR
3 sets of 8

Reverse Hyper
3 sets of 6 with 185

And I'm spent. Time to go teach my cats how to kill larger opponents with one move.

Saturday Fever
01-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Weighing 218 today. If i eat even more than usual today (highly unlikely) I can maybe pull 220 by tomorrow's weigh-in. :)

Hercule
01-30-2003, 04:42 PM
SF, I just had to step in and say something. You are a freakin beast. You are a total inspriation to me! You set a goal of 3-4-5 and you are going to hit that, with some spare change it looks like. You are just freakin awesome. I wish you the best of luck man.

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks. :) I appreciate it.

MonStar
01-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Great strength on the DLs SF. I was curious about what you think about me doing suspended bench every ME bench session? Bad idea? Just because thats my sticking point. And also platform deads every ME sq/dl session? Or box squats, etc.

I mean in addition to my ME lift. For example on ME bench doing incline BB presses as my ME lift, then some sets of suspended bench?

Also SF---do you think power cleans would fit into Westside in anyway?

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 10:28 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

So my diet is going strong. Rest is great. Ordered a lat pulldown machine. Not sure where to put it, but I imagine I can make room. The morning session went well, but I still don't like working out so early.

Speed Squats
135x2 (8)
135+MBx2 (2)

Finally I felt a bit better with the bands. I don't feel like I'm doing as well as I should be, but at least I was able to keep the bar in a straight line up and down. I made sure to reread Dave Tate's squatting articles before hitting the dungeon.

Good AMs
3 sets of 3

Romanian Deadlifts
3 sets of 10 with 205

Bentover Barbell Rows
6 sets of 2 with 315

Form was as good as if I was using the bar alone.

Barbell Shrugs
2 sets of 6

Abs
5 sets of 10

Lots of volume. I've felt a larger capacity lately. I think this is due to my body adjusting to my diet, adjusting to my size and adjusting to my level of physical fitness. I'm going to have to check into Supertraining to see if I can explain a few recent developments.

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 10:31 AM
I think everything works nicely for a few weeks. You could do suspended bench for 2-3 weeks in a row but then you'd want to change it out for something original for a few weeks. Variety is a big push in the Westside world. If you're getting stronger at something, you're probably geting weaker at something else. And you want to work on your weaknesses to bring up your strengths.

Paul Stagg
01-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Your ME lift progress looks awesome!!!

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks Paul. I just hope what I think passes for white lights will actually pass for white lights. We're making a small road trip next weekend to a bench meet to watch just to see what we have to be aware of.

ryan1117
01-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
Bentover Barbell Rows
6 sets of 2 with 315

Wow, that is some major weight there! I take it your lats are one of your strong points?

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 11:07 AM
I think my back, in general, has always been a strong point for me. With rowing, especially. On chins I've done my body weight +60 or so, but at the time that was a total of 240. So the strength there is not the same.

Paul Stagg
01-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Set really low openers.

You'll be fine.

Adam
01-31-2003, 12:44 PM
:withstupi

MonStar
01-31-2003, 02:08 PM
SF: I am wondering man. Okay tomorrow morning I have DE bench, and I train my lats on that day. Well my lats are sore from yesterday's ME squat/DL session. Should I still hit my lats or what? Lemme know what you think man.

Also, why such low reps on the rows? CRAZY strength though man. 6 sets of 2 with 315 is nuts man.

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Well, I was looking to increase tension to change things up. Most of my assistance work lately has been lower tension and extra time (ie 2 sets of 6 or 2 sets of 8) so I flipped it. I added tension and shortened the time. And it was an ego thing. :)

Chris Rodgers
01-31-2003, 03:14 PM
What height is your box on DE day?

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 03:16 PM
12"

It's the box we used to use at the old gym before we gave the place up and created the dungeon.

Chris Rodgers
01-31-2003, 03:28 PM
That sounds pretty low for someone your height. I got a suggestion from someone who competes @148 and has totaled 1280 this year. He said I should raise my box a bit. I am now squatting off a 14.5" box, up from 12". It feels much better and I have never had an issue with depth anyway. Just an idea. I realize you are worried about depth, I just think you'd be much stronger and your form would hold up better on a higher box.

Saturday Fever
01-31-2003, 03:34 PM
My ears are always open when you've got advice. How high should I make a box? Does 15" sound reasonable? I will dig for a full body picture of myself so you can see how I'm built.

Chris Rodgers
01-31-2003, 03:45 PM
I would just set up different heights on the box with mats or plates and just find out where you need to be to get just below parallel. I think there is no need to train my box squats way below parallel. I am just going to trin them to legal depth. Whe I want to take a max on an ME day I would go on a low box(~10"). Unless you have short legs for your height you could pobably be on 15"+ box. I have pretty long legs for a short guy. 14.5" works for me.

Saturday Fever
02-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Took the day off. Had to take my girlfriend to the airport where she flew to Italy for her last semester of college. 3 months. :(

Saturday Fever
02-02-2003, 03:38 PM
DE Bench Day

I'm a tad depressed with my girlfriend gone for 3 months, and the Kings are getting their asses kicked right now, so this workout was 'eh.'

Speed Bench
115x3 (4)
115+MBx3 (2)
115+DMBx3

Eh.

4" Lockouts (with minis)
225x5 (5)

Eh.

Bench ala Crack
105x100

Eh.

Like I said, I just felt 'eh.' The lockouts were hard as hell. The "century" with 105 was one of the most horrible things I've ever done to myself. A few times I had to stop with the bar at lockout and wait a few seconds before getting more reps in. Overall that lift took me about 15 minutes or so.

NateDogg
02-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm a tad depressed with my girlfriend gone for 3 months, and the Kings are getting their asses kicked right now, so this workout was 'eh.'

[b]Bench ala Crack
105x100

Holy :eek:

And that sucks about your girlfriend. I can't imagine that. :(

MonStar
02-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Damn SF, 105 lbs. 100 times? Thats insane. I dont think I could do that. I know that these 2 guys from a local highschool were in the newspaper for being about to bench 100 lbs., 100 times. It was some kind of state record.

Saturday Fever
02-02-2003, 03:54 PM
If I never took stops at lockout, it never would have finished. It's not quite as hard as it sounds, considering I spent a good 15+ minutes on the set. I am fully spent right now, though.

MonStar
02-02-2003, 03:56 PM
LOL, 15 minutes with 105 lbs. huh SF? I cant imagine what other guys at the gym must have been thinking. Or was this in your dungeon? I am curious why didnt you take stops right over your chest, it seems that your triceps would be easily fatigued at lockout.

Saturday Fever
02-02-2003, 03:58 PM
I felt it more in my shoulders since I locked my elbows out. And it was in the dungeon. I quit the gyma few days ago as I don't think I'll go there anymore.

MonStar
02-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Damn no way SF? Thats crazy. Do you have a power rack in your dungeon or nah? You should get some pics up of it.

Saturday Fever
02-02-2003, 04:03 PM
I bought the Power Rack-GHR-Reverse Hyper package from elitefts. When the opportunity presents itself, I've got lots of pictures to take.

NateDogg
02-02-2003, 07:11 PM
I bought the Power Rack-GHR-Reverse Hyper package from elitefts. When the opportunity presents itself, I've got lots of pictures to take.

I'm very interested in seeing these, you lucky bastard. ;)

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Weighed 220 today! It's not the official weigh-in day, but 220 is by far the heaviest I've ever been.

ryan1117
02-03-2003, 10:53 AM
DE Bench Day
Bench ala Crack
105x100

I assumed that you were talking about a DB Bench with the 105's and had an extra zero on the reps. That is some impressive endurance there. I remember having a tough time with the bar for that many reps back when I was in high school.

I'll be rooting for the Kings this year though until they meet my Pacers in the finals.:D I'd love to see how pissed the networks would be if that would happen. (since they want big market teams there) I felt Sacramento was the best team in the NBA last year but just had a couple bad breaks against LA.

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Last year we got ****ED by the refs in Game 6 against the Lakers.

MonStar
02-03-2003, 11:21 AM
220? :eek::eek:

Thats insane SF, I dont know how the hell you weigh so damn much. Have you accumulated much fat or nah? You seem to have a fast metabolism. Keep packing in the calories man. 220 on a 6'3" frame is pretty damn big.

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 12:02 PM
I don't think much, if any, of the last 7-10lbs has been lean. I'm not saying I look like a butterball or anything, but where you could 2 months ago see lots of definition, now you can see a little bit. But I'll take any weight I can get at the moment. Changed up the split a bit a few days ago as well, in case you hadn't noticed.

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 12:07 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

Another early session. These are slightly annoying, but I won't complain I guess. Lifted pretty good I think.

Box Squats (used the bench as the box)
45x5
115x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
415x1
425x1

It should be noted that the bench didn't go parallel. It got close (sorta) but wouldn't have passed anywhere.

Romanian Deadlifts (standing on a 5" Reebok step)
265x5 (5)

Bentover Barbell Rows
315x4
315x2 (3)

Mad reps, yo.

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 8

And that was that. After my next ME Bench session I'm going to drop the volume a bit for a few weeks. I've been killing myself lately.

MonStar
02-03-2003, 12:18 PM
3 plates for 4 reps on bentover rows is insane man. Keep it up though SF. Hey what is your split like now man?

CRAZY box squat strength too! Even if it was shy of parallel 425 is friggin' nuts man. Good work.

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 12:19 PM
ME Sq/DL
ME Bench
DE Sq/DL
DE Bench

Whereas it used to bench before squats. Dumb little change, but what the heck.

MonStar
02-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Where are the rest days though SF? It seems that youre rarely taking them anymore.

Saturday Fever
02-03-2003, 12:22 PM
I usually do the ME days, rest, then the DE days and rest. But with all that's been going on lately, that was thrown off a bit.

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 12:45 PM
ME Bench Day

Last day of high volume today. I have a bit of a cold which made breathing a pain in the ass. I also still feel beat down from the last few days. My calorie intake has dipped down to about 6000 from 8000 in the last week or so, I think that's why my energy levels have dropped. I am almost out of N-Large too, so I better see about getting a deal on some more. Anyways, last high volume session for a few weeks, and here goes...

Close-grip Suspended Bench (index and part of middles in the smooth, doubled minis)
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3
205x1
225x1
245x0
235x1

Wow. That was a humbling experience. Burned like hell from the get go. On the 235 I had to lift my ass way off the bench to get some extra leverage.

DB OH Press (on a ball)
2 sets of 8 with 35

Elbows Out Skullcrushers
5 sets of 5 with 120

Side Lateral Raises
3 sets of 6

4" Lockouts
8 sets of 2 with 280

Band Pulls (lying on the floor, first rear delts, then tris)
4 sets of 12

OK. I'm going to skip 2 days before resuming my DE days on a normal schedule. I hope to get my calories back to 8000 a day during the break. And then I'll be making the volume a little more sane for a bit.

fuzz
02-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Did I read that right? Eight THOUSAND a day?? How much of a surplus do you need? You're not on gear, are you?

I thought I went crazy with 4200 a day...

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 01:55 PM
It's almost all surplus. It's also almost 50% N-Large. An example of my diet is included in the beginning of my journal. No I'm not on anything. In the 5 weeks I've been cramming this way I've added 30 pounds, and I make no claims that recent gains have been lean.

The Calvinator
02-04-2003, 02:08 PM
you can make huge mass gains without eating that many calories, as long as your calories arent all sugar of course, just something to think about since spring break and summer is going to creap up on ya fast!!!

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm excessing so dramatically because I'm doing a LOT of volume in my workouts and I want to have adequate energy stores. As it stands now, at 220ish, I'm probly holding 15-18% bodyfat (according to bioimpedance) so I'm not too worried yet. I just want to get some size and power together for April. When the meet ends, I may consider slimming down. Depends how I look and feel. Thanks Calvin.

fuzz
02-04-2003, 02:39 PM
How long did it take you to adjust to such a high amount of food? Granted, shakes make it easier to consume such a big amount...but I felt bloated for awhile when I first started bulking.

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Force-feeding, literally. Initially it caused me lots of gas pains and feeling like I was going to explode. But after a week it subsided. I still have horrible "protein gas" but that just comes with consuming as much protein as I am. (500g a day or so)

Chris Rodgers
02-04-2003, 03:19 PM
What's this suspended bench stuff? I'm assuming you mean rack work. Monstar is doing all this suspended work and he doesn't even have chains. Don't let his ignorance rub off on you. ;) J/K.

Also, I'd be very careful with setting the pins up too low on those. It's just asking for a pec/delt injury. I know some big dudes who do those, but to help with that they do the negative first, pause on the pins and then press. Just something to think about.

Saturday Fever
02-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Interesting. I hadn't thought of it from an injury standpoint. But then I don't lift "big" either. Yet. Just to be careful I'll start setting the rails 5" or so off my chest, and let my speed work handle the area below that.

Saturday Fever
02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I gave my kitties some canned food today and they loved it. At some point I'll get unlazy and get them food so they don't get spoiled to the canned stuff.

Oh, and I weighed 221 today and for the first time ever I felt "sluggish." I may have to curb the weight gain if this isn't just a "today thing." I have a cold however, so the jury is still out on that.

Oh, and eating a lot whilst sick sucks.

Saturday Fever
02-06-2003, 10:20 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

OK I was supposed to wait 2 days but I'm too antsy. I did lower the volume though, so we shall see how this works out. Oh, and it was a good solid session.

Speed Deads
315x2 (6)
275+MBx2 (2)

Romanian Deadlifts
315x2 (10)

GHR
3 sets of 8

Abs
5 sets of 10

And that was that. I'm feeling much stronger on the Romanian Deads. I may pad my ego in the near future and try them as an ME so I can get a 1RM out of it.

Saturday Fever
02-07-2003, 10:05 AM
DE Bench Day

OK, first day of bench with lowered volume. I really feel like I should be doing more volume as I've been doing, but I'll stick with this idea for a week or two. Other than feeling like I didn't do enough, the session went well. I really think my back is improving the most lately.

Speed Bench
115x3 (5)
135x3 (3)
185x3 (2)

The speed at 185 was actually better than I expected.

6" Lockouts
315x1 (4)

UNF!

DB Skullcrushers
5 sets of 6 with 50

And then I decided it was time to smoke some more crack.

Chest Supported Row
2 sets of 3 with 6 plates
2 sets of 5 with 5 plates

DB Pullover (lying on a ball)
2 sets of 10

After the last experience with ghetto-rigging a chest supported row, we pitched in some cash and purchased a real one that we found in the paper, made by BodyMaster. After reupholstering the chest support we decided it was time to test it out. I pulled off 2 sets of 3 with 6 plates, which rules for me. I was happy with the rack lockouts, that's more than I've ever done, even at 4". The swiss ball pullovers were pretty nuts. Just when you feel you're in a groove the ball bounces a bit or otherwise throws you for a loop and makes you stabilize with muscles you didn't think stabilized. And now, if you all don't mind, I'm going to destroy an N-Large.

MonStar
02-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Nice sets of support rows SF! Keep up the hard work man.

Saturday Fever
02-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Official weight yesterday was 222. I don't feel sluggish anymore either.

NateDogg
02-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Nice work SF. DB pullovers on a ball huh? I might have to try that!

Saturday Fever
02-08-2003, 01:56 PM
It's crazy. Another one I like is OH DB Press on a ball. Just when you're in a groove, the ball shifts ever so slightly and your stabilizers go "WHOA!"

Saturday Fever
02-09-2003, 11:27 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

WOW. Now I know where all the excess energy went. Dieting big with days off and lower volume has been driving me nuts. But I'll take it if it means days like today.

Pin Pulls (plates were exactly 5" off the floor)
45x5
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x1
275x1
335x1
405x1
495x1
545x1
565x0

I'm not sure what this tells me about where my weakness is because with 5" less ROM I had an extra 80 pounds. I tend to think that places the weakness in my hamstrings and the strengths in my glutes, but I better ask around. *hint*

Good AMs
5 sets of 5

Seated V-Bar Cable Rows
2 sets of 6

Abs (15 seconds rest between sets)
5 sets of 10

Strong, strong day for me. The pin pulls were great and the Good AMs just killed me. Going to start relying heavily on the GHR for a few weeks to get my hamstrings up, and also need to hear from some folks about where the weakness lies given my difference in lifting.

NateDogg
02-09-2003, 11:40 AM
That's some nice pullin'! :thumbup:

MonStar
02-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Awesome job with the 5" pulls SF! Impressive man. 545 is nuts...

Hey do you think I should do sumo rack pulls or conventional next time around?

Santiago
02-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Good job....your weakness is speed and lower back....you can try pulling with 35's or 25's as the biggest plates on the bar as an ME exercise....I did my speed deads like that for a while as well with good results. I'm weak off the floor as well, but it's a nice feeling to know once the bar clears the floor you have the lift. :)

Saturday Fever
02-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Interesting Santiago, thanks. I'll definitely try your ideas out.

Saturday Fever
02-10-2003, 01:21 PM
ME Bench Day

Well, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. I've done well the last few days and today seemed to just fit into the mold.

3 Board Press
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
295x1

POW!

Tate Press
5 sets of 10 with 30s

Bench of Death
135x49

Just wanted to see how many I could rip out before I died. I am now officially dead.

Side Lateral Raise
3 sets of 12 with 25s

And that's all she wrote. I feel like a man. I can feel the 315 bench nearing the corner, I just have to turn it.

MonStar
02-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey SF, hate to ask you this but what are Tate presses again? Sorry man! I am trying to try new exercises.

Saturday Fever
02-10-2003, 10:36 PM
There's a picture in PowerMan's journal. I don't know how to describe them.

Saturday Fever
02-12-2003, 12:12 PM
DE Sq/DL Day

Well, no comments today other than that I lifted well.

Speed Squats (per LATMAN, the box was 15")
155x2 (8)
225x1
275x1

Speed was good.

Good AMs
3 sets of 6 with 175

Romanian Deadlifts
10 sets of 2 with 350

Woohoo.

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 10 with 185

And that was that. Life is good.

Chris Rodgers
02-12-2003, 03:15 PM
The box squats felt a lot better didn't they? With your height that box still put you below parallel too, so why practice going lower? Good job.

Saturday Fever
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I felt I was able to go "hips back-hips forward" with the box higher. The heavier sets still felt "speedy."

Saturday Fever
02-13-2003, 10:06 AM
DE Bench Day

For the next few weeks all speed work will be done with bands. I need to get fast and strong right off the chest.

Speed bench
115+MBx3 (8)
135+MBx3
185+MBx1

So the speed was decent. I think when I finally get and use a shirt that a wide grip will really help with getting the bar off my chest.

6" Lockouts (index and middle in the smooth)
225x8
315x4
350x1

That was a huge PR.

Bentover Barbell Row
315x5
275x5 (3)

And that was that. Was getting carried away with the volume and had to make myself stop. It felt like an all around good session though.

Saturday Fever
02-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Unofficially weighed in at an even 225 today. I think it would be higher except I fasted one day this week. Also unofficially, my bioimpedance read 14% today.

Lean = 193.5
Fat = 31.5

NateDogg
02-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Nice job on the lockout PR!

Saturday Fever
02-14-2003, 10:09 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

I'm way too unhappy with the state of things right now to take a day off. It's really starting to hit that my girlfriend is on the other side of the world. So **** a day off, I need things to occupy my mind, so I lifted.

Squats (on the 15" box I have named LATBOX :))
45x3
135x3 (singles from here on)
185x1
225x1
315x1
405x1
425x1

And that's all she wrote. I lost the arch in my back coming up with 425, and felt the weight shift onto my quads. It came up but that's not how to squat. It also verifies Santiago's claim that my lower back is a weakpoint.

Reverse Hypers
3 sets of 6 with 205

Arched Back Good AMs (arched like mad)
2 sets of 8 with 145

OK, these suck, I hate them, and I don't think I'll ever do them again.

Romanian Deadlifts
8 sets of 1 with 405

Yes, I know. I think I'm soooo cool right now.

Hyperextensions
5 sets of 5 with a 25 and doubled minibands

The volume was up because I felt a zone. Plus I didn't want to stop and start thinking about people in Italy. But I lifted well, and I am pleased.

MonStar
02-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Great squatting strength SF---nice job. Good job on the Romanians too, Ill have to give them a shot eventually.

Saturday Fever
02-14-2003, 10:49 AM
I will be competing in the 242 weight class in April, so I better get my lifts up in a hurry. :)

Saturday Fever
02-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Official weight this fine Friday is 225. Official bioimpedance was 13%.

Total Gains: 35 pounds
Total Fat: 29 pounds
Total Lean: 196 pounds

as opposed to my beginning (190@9%)

Fat@190: 17 pounds
Lean@190: 173 pounds

Saturday Fever
02-15-2003, 10:00 AM
ME Bench Day

Decided to work on odd exercises today. Inspired by Nate doing the DB for reps.

DB Press (on a ball, palms facing)
55x20
60x20
80x13

Wow, weird.

Bench Negatives
350x5
405x2 (4)

Bench of Death (no stopping or resting)
135x51

That was up 2 reps from last time. What a PR to track.

And that was all. Not real motivated today.

NateDogg
02-15-2003, 10:49 AM
ME Bench Day

Decided to work on odd exercises today. Inspired by Nate doing the DB for reps.

DB Press (on a ball, palms facing)
55x20
60x20
80x13

Wow, weird.

Bench Negatives
350x5
405x2 (4)

Bench of Death (no stopping or resting)
135x51

That was up 2 reps from last time. What a PR to track.

And that was all. Not real motivated today.

:D

Up to 80's on teh ball...I'm impressed.

I've gotta try the "Bench of Death" one of these days, although I'd probably use 115 or something like that.

Saturday Fever
02-15-2003, 11:13 AM
It's nuts. When I get done I just have to lay there for a minute. :)

Saturday Fever
02-16-2003, 10:54 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

Skipping off days. It's bad and I know it, but I have to keep my mind occupied. And this is a good way to do it.

Speed Deads
315x2 (10)

Speed was illegal in suburban areas.

Suspended Good AMs
2 sets of 5 with 225

GHR
4 sets of 8

Squats (onto a 15" box with my stance extra wide)
375x1
405x1
225x20

That was that. So much **** running through my head lately. Stuff that might be my problem, stuff that might be other people's problems. But it's there and I have to get rid of it soon, I can't keep skipping rest days for the sake of occupying my mind.

MonStar
02-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Nice work on the speed deads SF! 3 plates for 10 sets of 2. Thats awesome man, nice work.

Saturday Fever
02-16-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm going to hit 500+ at the meet. I'm determined.

MonStar
02-16-2003, 12:15 PM
I am going to friggin' sh*t myself if you hit 500+ at the meet SF. That would be friggin' insane. I cant even imagine. Good luck with it man.

Saturday Fever
02-16-2003, 06:15 PM
I got my belly button pierced today about 20 minutes ago.

shredder
02-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey SF, i was wondering what u think of high sets/low reps u kno like 5 sets of 2 or 8 sets of 1, i noticed u did these and i wanted to kno if it would be good for strength?
by the way nice job on ur lifts, youve made awsome progress. I wouldnt mind makeing progress like that:)

Saturday Fever
02-16-2003, 11:18 PM
I change around the sets and reps just to put a twist on the idea of "time under tension." Sometimes I'll do 3 sets of 8 or 10 with a moderate weight, others I'll do 8 sets of 2 with heavy weight. I trade off time and tension basically. I think from a strength standpoint it has been great for me. From a hypertrophy standpoint (bigger is stronger) I think it has done well also. I'm no Arnold but I've added some quality looking size with the idea.

and thanks, I'm working really hard.

Saturday Fever
02-17-2003, 10:56 AM
DE Bench Day

Another consecutive day. I wonder how long I can go on like this. There was a small crowd at the dungeon today. Former Mr. Sacramento (aka supplement hookup) came out as did his partner (aka 3rd in Miss Sacramento) so the dungeon has 2 PLers and 2 bodybuilders, all about to partake in Westside. It was actually a lot of fun.

Speed Bench (doubled minis)
115x3 (8)
205x1

The 205 was not what I'd call fast. Actually it was to show the former Mr. Sacramento just how much 'accomodating resistance' the bands add. He was surprised, much to my delight.

Bentover Barbell Row
205x20
315x6
320x2
275x6

I did well, but I was absolutely smoked by everyone but Miss Sacramento.

DB Pullover (on a ball)
100x3 (4)

I actually only got 2 on the last set but broke out some forced reps to make the bodybuilders feel comfortable. :)

Elbows-Out Skulls
3 sets of 8 with 115

I believe that's a pretty large PR for me.

Side + Front Raise Supersets (with DBs)
2 sets of 10/10 with 25s

And that was that. I asked the former bodybuilders to come back for ME sessions so they could get the real "flavor" of Westside. Maybe they'll show up and join my gang. The former Mr. Sacramento hulked on the Bentover Rows. He pulled up 365 for 7 and his form was intense the whole time. He would be a STRONG addition to the dungeon.

Santiago
02-17-2003, 02:03 PM
That bench of death is real impressive....you're probably the only person here that can do that many reps with 50% of thier max....

bradley
02-17-2003, 02:24 PM
365x7 would be a sight:eek:

Been following your progress SF and I must say that I am impressed. Keep up the hard work but on the same not don't burn yourself out. I have a feeling you will do well at the upcoming PL meet.:thumbup:

Saturday Fever
02-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks! I'm trying to make a point to take some time off. Just had lots of stuff going on and needed a way to get my mind off of it. All things working out favorably, I should be back on a normal schedule soon.

And yeah, 365x7 was intense. He's big, but that was nuts.

Saturday Fever
02-19-2003, 12:06 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

Took a rest day yesterday finally and I think it helped. I did some ass-stomping. I also decided to up the volume again for a short while. The temptation was too great. Mr. Sacramento came to workout again and he wanted to deadlift. I wanted to refrain until the meet but oh well.

Deadlifts
45x5
135x3
225x3 (decided to drop to singles)
275x1
405x1 (wow, big jump, body got mad)
475x1
500x0

Well, the 5 wasn't there but 475 sure was. Time to do speed deads more regularly.

GHR
3 sets of 8

Suspended Good AMs
225x1 (3)
185x7

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 10 with 205

Ouch.

And that was that. I lifted on par with the former Mr. Sacramento, but by the end of the session he was beat. Something about so much volume and so much posterior work and he didn't understand it. :)

Chris Rodgers
02-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Ace!

MonStar
02-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Nice job with 475 SF! :thumbup::thumbup:

Youre going to smoke 500 at the meet, no doubt about it. Do you think youre going to nail 300+ on bench?

Saturday Fever
02-19-2003, 10:42 PM
500 I have a decent outlook on. 300 I don't think so. I would really like to, but I am not built to bench. And I decided to not wear a shirt or anything at my first meet (at least) so I'll be benching fairly close grip to keep my shoulders safe. But you never know, I might find something in a Dave Tate article that changes my bench. Not likely, but possible.

MonStar
02-20-2003, 07:56 AM
You have said time and time again that youre not built to bench, but I think you should do fine. Deadlifts and squats in combination will give you a hell of a total alone. I think you should shoot for a grand in just deadlift and squat.

Also---I am curious as to which of the 3 lifts I am worst at genetically. I think its pretty tough for me to decide, lol.

Saturday Fever
02-20-2003, 10:51 AM
ME Bench Day

Now you can tell by the way I roll, baby, that I'm a ladies' man, a business man...

Decline Bench
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x0
295x1
300x0

Damn.

Skullcrushers
6 sets of 8 with 100

6" Lockouts
315x4
275x8
225x19 (was shooting for failure)

Side Lateral Raise
3 sets of 8 with 25

CAT Bench (multiply concentric by 5 to get eccentric)
185x8
185x5
185x5
185x3

CAT Bench is basically starting on my chest and pushing up as fast as I can. My partner would call out how many second it took to get the bar up, multiply that by 5, and then count the result out as my negative. So if he called out "2", he would start counting down from "10" and that was the length of my negative. In the beginning there were a lot of 1's. Towards the end I even had some 3's and 4's. Those were tough.

MonStar
02-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Nice decline strength SF, looking good man. CAT bench looks intense, nice overall workout.

Saturday Fever
02-20-2003, 12:29 PM
The improved leverage really helped. I'd like to get myself close to 290 by the end of March. That'll be a lot of work. Doing bench with CAT is tough. Reps crawl. You can just feel your strength dropping as the negative gets close to ending.

NateDogg
02-20-2003, 02:09 PM
...condos down the shore multi-million pension plan...

Good session!

Saturday Fever
02-21-2003, 11:05 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

Ever been so angry you just had to take advantage of the emotions? I'm seriously struggling with myself right now for being so angry, but the dungeon was a great way to deal with everything. Skipped another rest day, I'm going to have to control myself better.

Speed Deadlifts
225x2 (10)

Great speed coming up. It was hard to pull these "back" because the weight isn't so heavy, but my main concern was being fast off the floor for about 8". From 8" up I have the lift.

Suspended Good AM/Squat Bastardization
185x4
225x4
245x2
185x6

Just wanted to feel the groove of "hips forward" to aid my squatting.

Bentover Barbell Rows (of death)
225x23

That's all. It wasn't helping with the anger at all so I called it quits.

Saturday Fever
02-21-2003, 03:11 PM
231 at 16%. So here goes my weekly math.

Total: 231
Lean: 194
Fat: 37

I need to keep the volume high.

Chris Rodgers
02-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Damn man, you might go right passed the 242's at this rate. :p

Saturday Fever
02-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah man, fear me totalling 1100 as a SHW. :cool:

Saturday Fever
02-22-2003, 12:58 PM
DE Bench Day

January, February, March, April, May...I hear you cryin but girl I can't stay...

Speed Bench (with minis doubled)
115x3 (8)

Wow, interesting. Actually, my bar speed and control was much better than in recent times.

DB OH Press (on a ball)
3 sets of 8 with 35

Band Pulls (on the floor, rear delts, then triceps)
6 sets of 10

Tate Press
3 sets of 6 with 40

Rear Delt Raises
2 sets of 10 with 30

Decided to do a variety of work today. Hit some muscles I haven't hit lately. I think all in all it was a good session. Had to rack my ego for the session, but it will understand.

Paul Stagg
02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
231 at 16%. So here goes my weekly math.

Total: 231
Lean: 194
Fat: 37

I need to keep the volume high.

Dayum.

You're gettin' big.

Saturday Fever
02-24-2003, 11:02 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

Go shorty, it's ya birthday. We gonna party like it's ya birthday. We gonna sip bacardi like it's ya birthday...

Squats (off the 9" box)
45x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x0
385x0
380x1

Well damn.

Rack Pulls (plates were 6" off the ground)
405x8 (resetting quickly between each rep)
315x12 (2)

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 10 with 205

GHR
3 sets of 8

Hyperextensions (with minis doubled)
3 sets of 8 with 25lb

Suspended Squat/Good AM Hybrid
315x1 (8)

And that was all. When I squat so low I can't hold my arch at all, and I feel everything shift onto my quads. And my poor lower back gets really mad at me. I upped the volume because I'm gaining more fat than lean recently, and I need to reverse that trend with good assistance work.

Vido
02-24-2003, 03:31 PM
[b] I upped the volume because I'm gaining more fat than lean recently, and I need to reverse that trend with good assistance work.

...or you could just drop the cals a bit ;)

Saturday Fever
02-24-2003, 03:37 PM
No chance. I'll just resume high volume and enjoy the proportion of gains I've seen until this week.

Santiago
02-24-2003, 04:09 PM
What weight class do you plan on going into your meet at?

Saturday Fever
02-24-2003, 04:23 PM
I was hoping for 220s, now I'm hoping for 242s. If I get too much bigger I'm going to have to make some big changes. If blasting the volume doesn't do its job, I'm going to have to rethink a few things.

Saturday Fever
02-25-2003, 09:57 AM
ME Bench Day

Hell yeah!

Bench
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1

PR! I actually wasn't too bad off the chest, by my standards. I was slow getting the first 5-6" up, then it cruised.

Bentover Barbell Row
315x4 (3)
225x15

DB Rows
4 sets of 8 with 75

Band Pulls (delts then triceps)
2 sets of 10

Seated V-Bar Cable Rows
300x6
250x12

Needed lats work. Got lats work.

MonStar
02-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Nice work with 275 SF---what was your max bench before this again?

Saturday Fever
02-25-2003, 05:31 PM
At the start of this journal I hit 260. By the end of this journal I'll probably be in the neighborhood of 290.

MonStar
02-25-2003, 05:38 PM
290 sounds good SF, nice work, seriously. Would be great to see you hit a ~1250 lbs. total or so at the meet. Keep up the hard work, and the great gains.

Saturday Fever
02-27-2003, 11:25 AM
DE Sq/DL

Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Speed Deadlifts
315x2 (8)

Speed Squats (onto the 15")
205x2 (6)

Good AMs
3 sets of 8 with 185

GHR
3 sets of 8 with incline

Hyperextensions (with minis!)
5 sets of 10 with 25

And the world was well.

Saturday Fever
02-28-2003, 10:34 AM
DE Bench

Go speed bencher, go speed bencher, gooooooooooo!

Speed Bench (doubled minis)
115x3 (6)
135x3 (2)

6 sets of 8

Skullcrushers
185x1
105x8 (2)

Bentover Barbell Rows
335x1
245x12
275x7

Suspended Bench (5" off my chest)
185x9
245x4

Doot.

NateDogg
02-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Man, nice rowin!

MonStar
02-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Nice work on the rows SF! Impressive strength as usual, keep it up.

Saturday Fever
02-28-2003, 05:40 PM
I'm working hard. :)

Saturday Fever
02-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Late weigh-in tonight.

Bodyfat was an astounding 14%. So, my weekly math:

Total: 237
Lean: 204
Fat: 33

I know bioimpedance isn't 100% accurate, but I'm sure it's accurate in that it says I gained mostly lean this week.

Santiago
03-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Since you'll be a month out pretty soon, it would be wise to set up a 3 lift practice meet in the next week or so...You can get a good feel of openers, as well as how it feels to pull after 3 heavy benches and squats :)

Saturday Fever
03-01-2003, 01:51 PM
I mentioned doing that in someone else's journal. I'm going to take today as a rest day and do all 3 lifts tomorrow. At a meet, generally, how much break is there between attempts and different lifts? I want to try to simulate it as much as possible. Thanks.

bradley
03-01-2003, 02:05 PM
SF where did you purchase the bioelectric impedance machine, and if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you?

Saturday Fever
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
At a local medical supply company. I paid $80 for it.

fuzz
03-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Is it a tanita?

Santiago
03-01-2003, 03:46 PM
It all depends on the meet. The last time we did a practice, we ended up sitting around on purpose for about 10 minutes after squatting, and another 10 after benching. You don't need to get so crazy resting in between...I've done 8 hr meets tho

Saturday Fever
03-02-2003, 10:40 AM
The Saturday Fever Invitational

Only my partner was around so we had to spot and judge each other. We did our 3 attempts with about 5 minutes break each, then we took 15 minutes before switching to the next lift. Here's how it went:

Squat1: 400
Squat2: 425 (ties my PR)
Squat3: failed at 450

Bench1: 265
Bench2: failed 275
Bench3: failed 275

Dead1: 475 (ties my PR)
Dead2: failed 495
Dead3: failed 495

The only lift where I didn't hit my "gym" PR was bench. I don't know if it was about being tired or just about having an off day. Squats and deads, if judged close to the meet, were good signs for me. I'd really like to get 500 on deads in a month, but we'll see. So my unofficial "same-day" total is 1165. If this holds up at the meet, I'll be very happy. Though I'll probably be the weakest 242 there.

DK
03-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Good job on the total SF. Are you gonna open lower on the bench and dead?

At my high school football lifting meet we had about 15 minutes between the squat and the bench. Then about 30 minutes between the bench and the deadlift. Hope you do good at the meet.

Saturday Fever
03-02-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure. I have a month until the meet and I expect to gain strength up to the day I go in. I'll try to open close to whatever I believe my PR is and hope to set PRs while I'm there.

chris mason
03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Good job on the lifts.

Saturday Fever
03-03-2003, 01:20 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

OK, after the mini-meet first ever SF Invitational, I decided today would be an odd day. On a good side, I did some curls to get a better idea what kind of weight chris has been moving. :)

Suspended Good AMs (bar set at my belly button)
45x5
135x3
185x1
225x1

DB Rows (grip half between parallel and underhand)
4 sets of 8 with 75s

Little body english on the last reps of the last set.

Reverse Hypers
3 sets of 12 with 200

GHR
4 sets of 6

Hamstring Curls
2 sets of the stack

No fun.

Barbell Curls
45x6
95x3
135x2
150x1

I kinda sorta cheated, but I'm going to claim it was clean. It felt like an assload of weight, I can only imagine what I'd have to do to get 225 to budge.

Saturday Fever
03-04-2003, 10:18 AM
ME Bench Day

Don't reveal you're nuts, reveal your nuts!

3 Board Press
45x5
115x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
315x1

WOO.

6"Lockouts
295x6 (I wanted 12)
335x1
275x9

OH DB Press (on the ball!)
3 sets of 12 with 35

Lat Pulldowns
4 sets of 6

Yay for me and new PRs!

Chris Rodgers
03-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Good job at the practice meet.

Suggestion: open lower on all three lifts.

Forget that, I'm not suggesting it, I'm telling you. Open lower. Second attempts should be ~PR(either just lower, equal or higher). Third's you go crazy. Trust me.

I only suggest a higher opener if you have equipment issues(too tight to do less).

Saturday Fever
03-04-2003, 05:53 PM
As always, I appreciate the advice. I'll do that.

Santiago
03-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Yea, the "rule" seems to be use your last warmup as an opener, hit a 5 lb pr second, and go to town on the third.

Great job tho, totaled only 10lbs less than you got doing the lifts on seperate days.

Saturday Fever
03-06-2003, 10:10 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

Speed Squats
135x2 (8)

Went easy and simple.

GHR
8 sets of 5

Good AMs
3 sets of 6 with 200

Reverse Hyper
2 sets of 8 with 205

Hyperextensions (with doubled minis)
5 sets of 5 with a 35

And that's all folks. My T1 is dead so I'm using a modem and won't be around much, and then of course I'm going overseas. Good workout leading up to that.

Saturday Fever
03-08-2003, 10:24 AM
ME Bench Day

Changed the split up a bit. Trying to get some last workouts in before I hit the road. Not sure what the gym scene will be like. And here we go!

2 Board Press
45x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
300x1

Word.

6" Lockouts
315x3 (3)
225x15

Elbows Out Skullcrushers
3 sets of 6 with 135

Pushdowns
4 sets of 8 with the stack

And now I was feeling particularly crazy...

Bench of Death (pausing at lockout when necessary)
115x94

I wanted 100 again, but it wasn't meant to be. I started lowering the 95th rep and I could just feel the strength gone. Good day, I think I destroyed my triceps.

Saturday Fever
03-09-2003, 11:27 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

This is my last day at the gym for a few weeks. I kept things real simple.

Squats (on the 15")
45x3
135x3 (dropped to singles)
225x1
315x1
405x1
495x0
430x1

Rack Deadlifts (plates starting 6" up)
315x5 (5)
500x1

Suspended Squat/Good AM Hybrid (bar coming from below my manhood)
275x2
225x7
135x62

Well, let's start by saying the set of 64 was not without pauses. Otherwise I thought the day went very well. Hit a small PR on squats. Kicked ass, in my opinion, on the deads. And the Squat/Good AM mix is just a neat exercise. And that's all she wrote. Gone for 20 days and then about 10 days to get reset for the meet.

MonStar
03-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Nice job on 430 SF! :thumbup::thumbup:

Damn when you do a high-rep set, you really go high in reps man! Friggin' 62 reps, lol.

Saturday Fever
03-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, I realize I'm not the strongest guy here, so I gotta do something to get my name on the chalkboard. :)

I weighed myself today. This is my last weigh-in for about 20 days or so. I did the bioimpedance as usual, and here are my final pre-spring break stats:

Total: 241 (getting a tad too close to 242)
BF%: 15%
Lean: 205
Fat: 36

Very pleased, to say the least.

Adam
03-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Incredible weight gain SF!

MonStar
03-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Damn SF, youre getting friggin' HUGE. I cant even believe how f*ckin' large youre getting. Youre growin' by the hour! 241 lbs. now huh man? Thats insane, keep up the hard work.

Saturday Fever
03-26-2003, 10:54 AM
OK. Had fun, I'm back. Hit the weights and scales for some check-ups.

Weight: 238
BF%: 15
Lean: 202
Fat: 36

And here was my return workout after a 2 week layoff....

ME Bench Day

Well, it was obvious I'd had a layoff but the session went well.

3 Board Press
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
295x1
300x0

Skullcrushers
3 sets of 6 with 100

Band Pulls (delts the triceps)
4 sets of 8

DB Rows
2 sets of 10 with 80

And that's all. Volume has to be worked back into and I was feeling beat anyways.

Saturday Fever
03-27-2003, 08:31 AM
ME Sq/DL Day

Good day today. Had a very early session by my standsrds, and my body is still partially on overseas time.

Deadlifts
45x5
135x3
225x1 (singles work best for me)
315x1
365x1
405x1
475x1
495x1

BLOW OUT.

Hyperextensions
5 sets of 5 with 25

GHR
3 sets of 12

Good AMs
2 sets of 6 with 185

Ter-****ing-riffic! The 495 rep came up almost like it was nothing and is a large PR for me, especially with the small layoff. Used the "move your hips forward" mentality and I don't know how much it changed my form, if at all, but it certainly moved the weight well. Looking forward to getting the volume back up nice and high.

Coke
03-27-2003, 08:36 AM
:thumbup: :) You do have some very good numbers, nice job!

MonStar
03-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Damn SF! AWESOME work on 5 plates man, I knew that you had it in you. Keep up the hard work. Good luck at the meet.

Saturday Fever
03-27-2003, 08:57 AM
*flexes*

I was very pleased, to say the least. It was a redeeming workout. My belly button piercing is still sore when I push air out in my stomach. But aside from that, the lift was very smooth. I had an awesome arch in my back.

bradley
03-27-2003, 04:45 PM
You still pounding down the cals SF? Nice work on the deadlift.:thumbup:

Saturday Fever
03-27-2003, 05:51 PM
In Europe, the food was so good. I had no way to count calories, but I was eating like a madman. I lost a few pounds, but I was also hiking all over with a 50lb backpack. In one day in Rome we walked over 5 miles around the city seeing the sites and such. Amsterdam was incredible as well.

I will say this much. If you ever go to Europe, make a point to go to Amsterdam and see the Anne Frank House. It is by far the best "museum" there is. It costs about 6.50 euros and is worth every cent and more. You get to ascend the hidden staircase and see the actual rooms they lived in, original papers she wrote on including her original diary. Very emotional. If I did nothing else in Europe, I would have considered the trip a success simply for seeing that.

Hercule
03-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Dang man, I wanna see some before and after pics. SOme pics of you when you were around 190, and some from the meet when you are around 240. I still can't believe you have gained so much mass and strength in the past months, it unbelievable. Keep up the good work, and good luck at your meet, its just a few weeks away.

Saturday Fever
03-27-2003, 06:27 PM
All pics will be made available at the conclusion of the meet. I have posted pics in the past of when I weighed 190ish, however.

Saturday Fever
03-28-2003, 11:51 AM
DE Bench Day

I feel like a wildman in a zoo called society.

Speed Bench
135x3 (8)

Bentover Barbell Rows
225x9
315x6
340x1

Elbows Out Skulls
4 sets of 8 with 115

Pushdowns
2 sets of 12 with 110

Upped the volume a bit since the actual lifting on speed bench wasn't overwhelming. Felt good. Back strength didn't slack at all, and I'm very pleased with that. Things are going as planned.

chris mason
03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
You are an animal on the bent rows. What style do you use?

Saturday Fever
03-28-2003, 01:16 PM
My hips are at about a 90 degree angle, my upper body is almost perpendicular to the floor. I let the bar down, but I don't let my arms go straight enough to relax and then pull up into my stomach. There's a bit of body english, that's for sure, but nothing too outrageous.

Saturday Fever
03-30-2003, 10:02 AM
DE Sq/DL Day

Yay. No motivation at all.

Speed Deads
275x2 (6)
350x2 (2)

Whoop-ass speed.

Suspended Good AMs
3 sets of 4 with 245

Reverse Hyper
4 sets of 8 with 200

GHR
8 sets of 6

Chins (overhand grip as wide as I bench)
+50x4
+60x1
+20x13

And that was that. I need some motivation and inspiration.

Hercule
03-30-2003, 12:30 PM
How about a swift kick in the ass for motivation?

chris mason
03-30-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm going to video myself doing some heavy bents today. It ought to give the form freaks a heyday:D !

Saturday Fever
03-31-2003, 02:02 PM
ME Bench Day

chris form on rows is almost identical to mine. Just thought I'd mention for anyone wondering how mine are done.

5 Board Press
45x5
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x1
335x1

Big PR.

2 Board Press
8 sets of 3 with 255

Tate Press
3 sets of 6 with 35s

Pushups

DB Rows
2 sets of 15 with 60

5 sets of 8

And life goes on.

chris mason
03-31-2003, 02:13 PM
ME Bench Day

chris form on rows is almost identical to mine. Just thought I'd mention for anyone wondering how mine are done.

5 Board Press
45x5
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x1
335x1

Big PR.

2 Board Press
8 sets of 3 with 255

Tate Press
3 sets of 6 with 35s

Pushups

DB Rows
2 sets of 15 with 60

5 sets of 8

And life goes on.

Very good.

MonStar
03-31-2003, 05:54 PM
142 pushups SF!? :eek::eek:

Nice work man, really really impressive. Keep up the hard work.

Saturday Fever
04-01-2003, 02:03 PM
ME Sq/DL Day

What a difference a day makes.

Bottom-up Squats
45x3
135x3
225x1
315x1
350x1

OK. I set safety bars on the bottom and halfway up, so that I couldn't get to lockout, or even close. Hope that makes sense. Basically it kept weight on the posterior throughout.

Reverse Hyper
4 sets of 6 with 210

Hyperextensions (doubled minis)
5 sets of 5 with 25

Abs
10 sets of various reps and various exercises

Felt good, but felt weak. Don't know why, diet and sleep were dead on.

Saturday Fever
04-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Changed my avatar to a recent picture of my back at 240lb. Compared to my post at 190, I'm very pleased with myself.