PDA

View Full Version : Mixta's workout journal

mixta
01-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Ive finally got off my ass and started a journal. This year the goals are hypertrophy, endurance and progression for football (rugby league) but not at the expense of form and keep my size as well although I dont want to get any bigger. This would roughly be a year now since Ive been lifting on and off because of things that happened last year that were beyond my control (work, relationship problems, death of a close friend etc) which knocked me around a bit and my training suffered as a consequence. My cardio consists of either a 30 minute walk or running through the sandunes which are really steep and overlook the ocean and will be done on my days off from the gym. My workout consists of a 3-4 day split which will vary because of work.
To anybody who is reading this, I thank you very much for taking the time to drop by and having a look, and comments are always welcome and are very much appreciated.

Stats:
Height: 6"1.75
Weight: 220 lbs

mixta
01-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Friday 3rd January 03

Back, Biceps

First of 5 mins on the exercise bike. The gym is rather quiet which suits me fine.

DB ROWS

1*12 @ 70 lbs
1*12 @ 65
1*12 @ 65

Form was ok, it got the lats cooking

CHINS

I do chins on the chinup machine. The plan is to progress from the machine to doing them myself. The weight of this machine stack is measured in kilos which go up by 5 kilos each time. I think how its measured is by your body weight minus the weight being used on the stack, the lighter the weight you use the stronger you get and when you dont have any more weight to use you can progress to doing chins the way they should be done, by yourself unassisted.

1*12 @ -55 kgs
1*12 @ -60 kgs
1*12 @ -60 kgs

Not too bad, form was good, a bit tired though

BB CURLS

1*12 @ 55lbs
1*12 @ 50
1*12 @ 50

DB SHRUGS

1*12 @ 70 lbs
1*12 @ 65 lbs
1*12 @ 65 lbs

ABS

1*20 @ 22lbs plate on the decline bench
1*20 @ 22
1*20 @ 22

A good workout overall, nice flow, had a strawberry protein shake and went home

Time Taken= 58 mins
Starting time of workout= 8:00 am

Franjipani
01-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by mixta
This year the goals are hypertrophy, endurance and progression for football (rugby league) but not at the expense of form and keep my size as well although I dont want to get any bigger.

Good luck with you goals, Mixta:D

mixta
01-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks Franjipani

mixta
01-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Monday 6th Jan 03

This workout went for 45 mins as I arrived 45 mins before closing time.

Warmup: 5 mins on the bike

CHEST SHOULDERS AND TRICEPS

DB BENCH PRESS

1*12 @ 70lbs
1*12 @ 65
1*12 @ 65

Weights stated are for each hand but it still doesnt hide the fact that its not a very heavy weight at all, lol. The form was good though. My goal is to be able to do 100lbs for 3 sets of 12 by the end of the year but other guys who I have talked to at the gym suggest I can reach 100lbs sooner if I drop the amount of reps and sets I do. The thing I hate is that the minute I go heavier on my DB press it stuffs up the other exercises I have to do for the workout.

DIPS
1*12 @ bodyweight unassisted
1*12 @ bodyweight unassisted

PEC DECK
1*12 @ 55lbs
1*12 @ 55
1*12 @ 55

Form was a little shaky. Needs more work. I like to hold the position when my forearms touch each other for a second or two to give my pecs a good frying.

SEATED DB PRESS
1*12 @ 45lbs
1*12 @ 40
1*12 @ 40

I cant seem to get any heavier for some reason, maybe im overtraining them or Im doing them on the wrong day, im not really sure. Anyway at this time a few curl and db pullover jockeys are sparring behind me and mucking around, there is a friggin boxing ring upstairs and a child minding service available too and yet they muck around in the weights section. One guy says to the other, "Im doing some pullovers so I can get some bigger ribs". I wished him good luck under my breath and went on to do some...

SEATED DB RAISES

1*12 @ 15lbs
1*12 @ 15
1*12 @ 15

A bit rushed, as I was pressed for time, got the "Trying to fly" look happening.

TRICEP BOMBERS

1*12 @ 55lbs
1*12 @ 50
1*12 @ 50
I put the plates on properly last time as they fell off last time I did them, the things that make the weight stay on are pretty flimsy and to tighten them up with your hand only just keeps them in place. Ive a funny feeling they will fall off in time again when I get heavier on them.

ABS
1*20 @ 22lbs
1*20 @ 22
1* 20 (with no weight)

Workout is done just before closing time, I grab a protien shake and im off.

Workout time 45mins
Time started 7:13pm

mixta
01-06-2003, 07:38 AM
I'll check out some journals of other members tomorrow as I have never had the chance to really have a good look at them because im always pressed for time, which is why my post count is so low.

mixta
01-09-2003, 03:12 AM
WEDNESDAY 8TH JAN

BACK, BICEPS, (legs to be done on saturday or sunday depending on where I can fit it in)

Warmup: 5 mins on the bike

DB ROWS

1*8 @ 70lbs
1*12@ 65
1*12 @ 65
1*5 @ 70

I should have pushed myself harder on the first set of 70lbs. I was in two minds for some reason. Ripped through the 65 but it has a narrower grip compared to the 70lbs, which might be throwing me off a bit.

CHINS (on the chin up machine)

1*12 @ -50kgs
1*12 @ -55kgs
1*12 @ -55kgs
1*6 @ -50kgs (failed on 6th rep)

FLAT BAR BICEP CURLS

1*12 @ 55lbs
1*12 @ 60
1*8 @ 60
1*4 @ 60

Form was OK on the 60s but were a little bit forced though. A improvement on last week though.

SHRUGS (on the supprt T-bar row machine)

1*12 @ 88lbs
1*12 @ 88lbs
1*12 @ 88lbs

Shocking! I spent all my energy on the extra sets earlier. This wont happen again.

ABS (decline bench)

1*20 @ 22lbs
1*20 @ 22
1*20 @ 22

Had I have used my energy wisely and have been in a better frame of mind I would have done better. I am glad I did the workout though, I almost didnt go. I had a Caramel Protein shake this time.

Time taken 1hr
Time started 7:00pm

WillKuenzel
01-09-2003, 03:41 AM
Had I have used my energy wisely and have been in a better frame of mind I would have done better. I am glad I did the workout though, I almost didnt go. I had a Caramel Protein shake this time.Don't worry about sparing your energy. Looks like a really good workout regardless. LOL, if nothing else you got a caramel protein shake out of it. Do you eat or take anything for energy before going to the gym?

...running through the sandunes which are really steep and overlook the ocean Don't make me jealous man! Where abouts are you that you have this incredible option?

mixta
01-09-2003, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the reply HY, Im in NSW, Australia, Pics are coming soon of the dunes, it really is breathtaking. Its hard to ignore the view even when youre buggered from running up to the top. You have to watch where you park though, Ive been caught out parking on a bit that had gravel covering it making you think that its solid but when you drive on it, its beachsand and you get bogged. I check before I park or drive now, lol.

With my diet, It still needs work and Ive been experimenting a bit by eating two hours before my workout usually either a shake or a banana, nothing strict as yet. Im fishing around in the diet section and seeing what else other people take.

mixta
01-13-2003, 06:03 AM
SUNDAY 12th JAN 03

BACK, LEGS, BICEPS

Warmup: 10 minutes on the bike

DB ROWS

1*12 @ 75lbs (PR!!)

1*12 @ 80lbs (PR!!)

1*10 @ 75lbs

Thats the best Ive done! I dont know where the energy came from considering I did this exercise on wednesday night. The only downside is that I used the narrower handle DB's. But from now on in I will start using the thicker grip DB's as from 80lbs up they have thicker handles anyway.

ASSISTED CHINS (palms facing each other)

1*12 @ -50kgs pause for a second at the top

1*12 @ -50kgs

1*6 @ -50kgs

Not bad, the rows ate a bit out of me though.

STANDING CALF RAISES

1* 12 @ 240lbs

1* 12 @ 260

1* 12 @ 300 (PR!!!) 10 sec pause at the top

Im happy with reaching the 300lbs, nearly cramped up with the 10second pause, the machine didnt do my sunburn on my shoulders much good either, but I reached 300lbs:cool:

45 DEGREE LEG PRESS

1*12 @ 390lbs

1*12 @ 400

1*12 @ 420 (PR!!!)

Im happy with the 420 but I Felt I could have done more but I was worried about my calves cramping up as the nearly cramped a bit from the calf raises which gave me a bit of a scare. I absolutely hate cramps!

LEG EXTENSIONS

1*12 @ 110lbs

1*12 @ 130lbs

1*12 @ 120lbs

Need to work on form a bit for this one which is cool as this machine only goes up to 130lbs anyway. By this time I am limping around a bit, I was going to do standing leg curls but I couldnt be bothered laoding the thing up so I decide to do Lying Leg Curls instead, lol.

LYING LEG CURLS

1*12 @ 25 (1 second pause at at top)

1* 12 @ 25 ( 1 second pause at top)

1* 12 @ 25 ( " " ")

1*12 @ 25 (" " ')

All reps were done really slow. It looks a bit lopsided the weight Im using but thats because my hammies arent as good as the rest but im working on it but they dont seem to respond as well as my calves or thighs

DB CURLS

1*12 @ 20lbs

1*12 @ 20 lbs

1 *12 @ 20 lbs

Using light weight as Ive already done my biceps earler in the week.

ABS ( Decline Bench)

1 * 20 @ 20 lbs

1 * 20 no weight

I didnt get to do my traps as there wasnt enough time left but a good workout overall. Had a strawberry protein shake and that was it

Workout time: 1hour 30 mins ( A bit of chatting too, caught up with a friend I havent seen for years.)

Time commenced 3:15pm

McBain
01-13-2003, 06:47 AM
woohoo another aussie!

good luck with the training and reaching your goals!

any water restrictions near you?

mixta
01-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Hi McBain thanks for looking at my journal. We had water restrictions last month, even though there was no real shortage of water. I havent heard anything lately about water restrictions, just stuff you hear on the radio about being more responsible with water ( washing car on grass instead of driveway, stuff like that.)

Budiak
01-13-2003, 07:15 AM
You work your upper body too much. That or you just dont post when you work your lower.

Um..eat more...?

NateDogg
01-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Your avatar looks really pi$$ed.

:spam:

WillKuenzel
01-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Ive been experimenting a bit by eating two hours before my workout usually either a shake or a bananaIf you can eat a good 2 hours ahead of time. Then when it gets closer to workout time, get a small shake. This has seemed to help me. Don't over do it on the meal though. Eating too much can make you a little too lethargic later. It took me a while to learn that one. LOL, I can be a slow learner sometimes.

Franjipani
01-14-2003, 04:40 AM
Excellent workout Mixta.....you have new PR's coming out the yin-yang:clap:

Looking forward to some of those dune pics....sounds sensational:D

mixta
01-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Franji, Thanks for the compliments :) I hope I can do it again this week so I can prove to myself that it wasnt a fluke, lol. Ill be taking the pics as soon as I get out the digital camera that I put on lay-by a while ago.

HomeYield:

If you can eat a good 2 hours ahead of time. Then when it gets closer to workout time, get a small shake. This has seemed to help me. Don't over do it on the meal though. Eating too much can make you a little too lethargic later. It took me a while to learn that one. LOL, I can be a slow learner sometimes.

Thanks for the advice, It helps me a lot. Im going to try eating something decent 2hrs before the workout. Youre spot on with the feeling lethargic after eating too much, I did that two weeks ago by having lasagne and it really slowed me down.

NateDogg: Thanks for dropping by. Youre right, the avatar does look rather angry, lol

Budiak: It sure does look like I give my upper body too much of a workout, its something that needs to be looked at, Ill post my routine soon as I think its time for a change. Also I will be posting my meals too.

WillKuenzel
01-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Let us know how it goes. I'm normally just able to get a shake before I workout because I workout pretty much an hour after waking up. I think eating would help me out a little bit more but I just don't want to eat that close to working out. 2hrs ahead of time should be good if you don't over do it.

I agree with Budiak. It looks like your upper body might not be getting a whole lot of rest. Are you working back and bi's twice a week or did you just do that on leg day to make up for a day?

mixta
01-16-2003, 05:37 AM
WEDNESDAY 15th JAN 03 ( second attempt at typing this, just copped a dropout :mad: )

CHEST, SHOULDERS, TRICEPS

No warmup on the bike today as im pressed for time and I only have a 40 min workout for me which started at 7:20 pm

DB BENCH PRESS

warmup on the hammer chest press machine with no weight for 12 reps. Then used light weight on the bench with DB's

1*8 @ 75lbs (Heaviest Ive used although I really wanted to go for 12 reps but it didnt happen)

1*12 @ 65

1*8 @65 (forced reps after the 6th rep)

1*5 @ 65 (forced reps)

My arms got mega fatigued when I swung the 75lbs DB's up before I lowered myself on to the bench. Whenever I get this feeling when I swing the weight up, I know straight away that im gonna have trouble. Copped a bit of a sore shoulder afterwards but thought nothing of it as my form was good. Later on when I got home the pain was bad, something that ive never felt before.

PEC DECK Supersetted with dips

1*12 @ 55lbs

1*3 @ BW (dips supersetted)

1*8 @ 55lbs ??? ( Energy is gone now wondering where it went because im actually feeling good mentally)

1*3 @ BW (dips)

1*12 @ 45 (even this sucked)

1*6 @ 45

1*3 @ BW (Dips, forced reps)

SEATED DB OVERHEAD PRESS

1*12 @ 40lbs

1*8 @ 40 I wanted to go to twelve but I couldnt

1*8 @ 35

This seems to be a trouble spot for me. Im doing these once a week and yet I cant seem to make any gains. I might have to put it on another day or something like that because it just isnt working.

DB LATERAL SIDE RAISES

1 *12 @ 15lbs
1*12 @ 15 lbs
1*12 @ 15 lbs

time for more weight next time

ABS (ab machine with ropes, apparently Dr Squat invented these? From what ive been told )

1*20 @ 22lbs

1*20 @ 22lbs

1*20 @ 22lbs

End of workout, protein shake on the way out once again.

PAIN, SORENESS : Two hours later I felt a sharp pain on my shoulder just before where the top side of the pec starts. This hurts whenever I touch it, the pain is like having a bruise but the pain is much sharper. Had no problems at work the next day but it concerns me a bit, DOMS perhaps?

DE BRIEF: Had 6 hrs sleep the night before got up at 4am, had to go to Sydney which is 2hrs drive one way, 2hrs back, which stuffed my workout up although I felt good coming into the gym.

MEALS:

breakfast: bowl of Nutri Grain
2 hard boiled eggs

morning tea: Slice of banana cake

Lunch : roast beef roll with letteuce and bearanaise sauce

Dinner: Serving of rice and 3 baked chicken wings

Drinks: water all day and protein shake after workout

mixta
01-16-2003, 06:05 AM
Homeyield: The workout I had on the 3rd of Jan where I did my back, I usually do my legs on the same day but because the gym was absoulutely packed on Sunday and everyone was on all the leg machines, I decided to to my back as well even though I did it earler in the week when I was pressed for time and didnt have time to do my legs, so really whats been happening is a case of instinctive training, doing what I feel like but all im really doing is overtraining which is really starting to show. Here is what my workout is supposed to
be:

DAY 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

3*12 Db bench press

3*12 Pec Deck

3*12 DB Overhead Shoulder Press

3*12 Db Lateral side raises

3*12 Tricep bomber

3*20 ABS (Decline bench)

DAY 2

BACK, LEGS, BICEPS

3*12 Standing calf raises

3*12 45 degree leg press

3*12 Standing leg curls or lying leg curls

3*12 DB Rows

3*12 Chins (chin up machine)

3*12 flat bar bicep curls

ABS

3*20 on the fitball (crunches)

DAY 3

LEGS,BACK,BICEPS,CHEST

3*12 Seated calves

3*12 Leg extensions

3 *12 Pec Flyes

3*12 Cable crossovers

3*12 Cable curls

3*12 CG Pulldowns

ABS

3*20 of any choice of ab exercise

Thanks for the input, HY , what changes do u think need to be made?

bradley
01-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Looks like a good push/pull/legs split might work better for you if you are feeling overtrained. Training legs with another bodypart is hard enough once a week.

WillKuenzel
01-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Looks like a good push/pull/legs split might work better for you if you are feeling overtrained. Training legs with another bodypart is hard enough once a week. I think bradley's got it right. Instead of doing Day 3 as full body just make it your leg day.

Something like this:
3*12 DB Rows

3*12 Chins (chin up machine)

3*12 flat bar bicep curls
and maybe some deadlifts too and that should be all you need. Substitute BB bentover rows for DB rows every so often.

Day 3 could be:
3*12 Standing calf raises

3*12 45 degree leg press

3*12 Standing leg curls or lying leg curls
Just make sure you try to do some squats too. They will help your legs grow like nothing else.

Day 1 looks fine but you might want to cut down to maybe just 2 sets on some of that.

Those are my suggestions. I hope that you can work something into that. Oh and where are those dune pics at man!! I want to see those dunes you get to run on. That would be a nice change from the ice I've seen here for the past week.

Mixta123
01-26-2003, 07:55 AM
For the time being, I will be known as Mixta123 because I cant find my password and my computer doesnt remember it, I think it might have something to do with the server or something like that because Ive requested my password to be reset and Ive been folowing the links but it doesnt seem to work so Ill just have to wait till it gets sorted.

Oh and where are those dune pics at man!! I want to see those dunes you get to run on. That would be a nice change from the ice I've seen here for the past week.

HomeYield: Ive put on lay-by a digital camera which I should be getting out pretty soon. People on 4 wheel drives, quads and motorbikes keep asking me if I need a lift when im on the dunes because im always stuffed, lol. Ive also booked a flight on a motorised hang glider next month too so it looks like its gonna be pic flood time very soon! :D So you have been seeing ice where you are for the past week? How often does that happen? Actually I wouldnt mind seeing a bit as I didnt see the snow last year so it would be a bit of a change to see some.

Mixta123
01-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Sunday 26th Jan Happy Australia day!

Managed to fit in a leg workout today.

Warmup: 5 min workout on the bike

Standing calve raises:

1*12 @ 300 lbs
1*12 @ 300 lbs
1*12 @ 280 lbs

Not bad, I wish they would fix the foam that supports the shoulders though, Its like using a forklift to do calf raises, its scratching the hell out of my shoulders, It looks like someone scratched them, I had to convince my girlfriend that it was the machine that did it :p

45 Degree Leg Press

1*12 @ 400 lbs
1*12 @ 422 (PR!!!)
1*12 @ 450 (PR!!!)

One guy congratulated me on it, I thanked him for the compliment, id like to hit 500 in a month or so but im going to start doing squats

Seated Leg Extensions

1*12 @ 100lbs
1*12 @ 100
1*12 @ 100
1*6 @ 130
Form was ok but could be better, have to take it easier lext time letting the weights down as I nearly cracked the plates

Lying Leg Curls

1*12 @ 25lbs
1*12 @ 20
1*12 @ 20

This sucks big time definately needs more work

Deadlifts

Decided to give these a try even though Im supposed to do them on back day but the urge was there .

1*12 @ 45lbs
1*12 @ 45lbs
1*12 @ 45lbs

Working on my form with these ones. Might stck with 2 sets of twelve only to keep my form tight as my third set was sloppy.

Abs

2*20 on the decline bench (no weight)

Debrief
Felt sick after the workout, nearly felt like throwing up, a bit dizzy. Quickly drove home had a protien shake and went to bed for a while. Going to try squats next week.

Meals

Beakfast: Bowl of Coco Pops
Lunch: Meat Pie and piece of T-Bone steak
Dinner: Creamy Pasta Salad

Mixta123
01-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks HomeYield and Bradley for the suggestions with the workouts. Leg Day will now be Leg day only And with Back day I will be throwing in deadlifts with a few little changes.

and maybe some deadlifts too and that should be all you need. Substitute BB bentover rows for DB rows every so often.

The gym I go to has a lever type setup for the rows (substitute for the barbell) with a handles for overhand grip and handles for palms facing each other grip.

Franjipani
01-27-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Mixta123
1*12 @ 422 (PR!!!)
1*12 @ 450 (PR!!!)

:clap:

Congratulations !!!!

Happy Australia Day to you too.... how did you celebrate it??

WillKuenzel
01-28-2003, 05:31 AM
It looks like someone scratched them, I had to convince my girlfriend that it was the machine that did it LOL, that's hilarious.

1*12 @ 422 (PR!!!)
1*12 @ 450 (PR!!!)Awesome job! You probably wouldn't have too much trouble doing 500 if you went up that much and still didn't have to drop the reps.

Its been snow and ice here for the past couple of weeks. Really change for us as we normally don't see this type of weather. Can't wait to see those pics man!

*edit: I'm sure that if you email or PM'ed on of the mods that they'd be happy to help you out with the password thing.

Mixta123
01-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Franji

Congratulations !!!!

Happy Australia Day to you too.... how did you celebrate it??

I spent the day on the foreshore, I took it easy, It was a good day, the vibes were good, I saw some families get their citizenship, went to the beach and that was about it.

HomeYield

Awesome job! You probably wouldn't have too much trouble doing 500 if you went up that much and still didn't have to drop the reps.

Thanks :) I will have to watch my form though, I think Im starting to get a bit "poundage happy" so for the time being I might just check my form again next time.

Mixta123
01-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Here are a few links with the dune pics in them, I am not involved with these pics, just trying to give a bit of an idea what they look like until I post my pics, I run on a different part to them. It also explains why I dont wear headphones when I run as well :p

www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/offroad/stockton.html (http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/offroad/stockton.html)

http://cust.idl.com.au/ric/dunes.html

http://www.dannyham.com/newcastle.html

Mixta123
01-31-2003, 06:18 AM
Friday Jan 31 2003

Chest and Triceps

No bike warmup tonight, straight into the weights

DB Flat Bench Press

1*12 @ 65lbs
1*12 @ 65
1*12 @ 70

Im glad im starting to move away from the 65's. Ive been on them for weeks and its really annoying me :mad: Im happy about the 1*12 @ 70 because I went really well with it. The funny thing about it was I had trouble swinging the DBs into position before I lower myself, but because I was angry about being on the 65's for so long, it fired me up to swing the DBs up into position and after that it was really easy, heres hoping I can do 2 sets of twelve next week :D

Flat Bench DB Pec Flyes

1*12 @ 35lbs
1*12 @ 35

Ill probably go up in weight next week, just want the form right.

Dips

1*5 @ BW
1*5 @ BW
1*5 @ BW
1*5 @ BW

Really starting to enjoy these

Cable Crossovers

1*12 @ 10lbs
1*12 @ 20lbs
1*12 @ 20lbs

Wanted to do pec deck but settled for the crossovers. I dont get to do crossovers much because the machine for it is always getting used for cable curls.

Abs (Decline Bench)

1*20@ 22lbs
1*20 @ 22
1*20 @ 22

Comments

Good workout overall, pity about what I ate today, lol. Looking forward to seeing less of the 65lbs DB. Weird thing that happened today was that everyone in the gym was offering spots to everyone, This never happens at all and all of a sudden I hear everyone offering spots to people on most of the free weight exercises. But the vibe in the gym was good too, that probably had something to do with it too.

Workout time: 34 mins

Sleep: 6.5 hrs

Meals

Breakfast: Bowl of Corn Flakes and Banana

Morning tea: Slice of Banana cake

Lunch: Chicken BLT Burger, Small Coke

Tea: 2 baked Chicken Wings, 3 small baked potatoes, slice of pumpkin and umm, whats that vegie called that looks like cauliflower except its green?:scratch:

Drinks: Mainly water throughout the day except for Breakfast (Cup of Tea) and Lunch (Small Coke)

bradley
01-31-2003, 06:36 AM
lol, broccolli? Good work with the 70's. Pretty soon you'll be throwing around the 80's if you are pumping out 12 reps with those 70's. Might try performing a couple of heavy sets in with those high reps sets. I have found heavy weight with lower reps has helped my strength.

Those dunes look like fun. Wish I had some around here;)

Franjipani
01-31-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Mixta123
whats that vegie called that looks like cauliflower except its green?:scratch:

*lol* that would be brocolli hon:D.

Whoooooa fabuloso sand dunes.... I have much more respect for your cardio workouts now:bow:. You must have killer looking calves is all I can say !!!!

Here I was thinking I was the bee's knee's doing my jogs on the beach.....lol :p.

Mixta123
02-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Franji

*lol* that would be brocolli hon

lol, thats the one! :D Dont know why I couldnt remember it, but I ate it though :D

Whoooooa fabuloso sand dunes.... I have much more respect for your cardio workouts now. You must have killer looking calves is all I can say !!!!

I only do the dunes about twice a week, but Ive cut down a bit now and Ive just been doing a few laps around the oval instead. My calves and legs respond better than my upper body when it comes to workouts.

Here I was thinking I was the bee's knee's doing my jogs on the beach.....lol

You still are, lol Ive cut down a bit on my dune work :D

Bradley

Thanks for stopping by to have a look :)

lol, broccolli?

lol, thats the one, I dont know why I couldnt remember that one, but I ate it.:D

Good work with the 70's

Thanks!

Might try performing a couple of heavy sets in with those high reps sets. I have found heavy weight with lower reps has helped my strength.

Ill be trying 80s this week with lower reps, just to get the feel for it and get familiar with it, I have a funny feeling it might work plus it should give me some time to fit in some rotator cuff exercises too

Those dunes look like fun. Wish I had some around here

Theyre good fun, with motorbikes, quad bikes etc and it adds a bit of spice to the cardio workout too, very taxing on the legs and calves, I had to do them after work as it totally ruined my day If I did them before work, same for my workouts too.

Mixta123
02-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Monday February 3rd 2003

Back and Biceps

No warm up on the bike today

DB Rows

1*12 @ 75lbs
1*12 @ 75
1* 8 @ 75

A 10 pound hike from the last time, was going to do 70s but went for the 75's instead :cool:
Form needs work on the last set, a bit too much twisting after the 4th rep, body must be trying to get used to the 10 pound increase.

Chins on the Chin up machine

1* 12 @ -50kgs
1* 8 @ -55kgs
1* 4 @ -55kgs

Terrible, I blame the increase in weight from the rows for this, lats were fatigued

Deadlifts

1*12 @ 45lbs
1*12 @ 45lbs

Working on form for this, Increase in weight for next week

DB Shrugs

1*12 @ 65lbs
1*12 @ 65
1*12 @ 65

Deadlifts fatigued traps for this exercise, got a good burn in them

Flat BB Curls

1*12 @ 55lbs
1*12 @ 55lbs
1* 8 @ 55lbs

A drop of about 5 pounds for this one compared to last time I did them (about 3 weeks ago) :(

No ab work this time

Weight 223lbs=101kgs Some of that would have to be from the increase of water I been drinking lately

Meals

Breakfast: Bowl of corn flakes

Morning Tea: Slice of Banana Cake

Lunch: Potato Pie and Plain Hamburger

Tea: Serving of rice, Peas, 2 eggs and 1 and a Half Lamb Chops

Times getting away again, Have to get some sleep, I will definately be checking out some more journals tomorrow :D

bradley
02-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Hey Mixta try and get some more protein in that diet of yours. One gram per pound of bw would be ideal. ;)

mixta
02-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Ive finally got my password reset :D

Bradley

Hey Mixta try and get some more protein in that diet of yours. One gram per pound of bw would be ideal.

Yeah the protien side of things have been prety slack lately. I used to hit the protien shakes pretty hard when I had some protein whey at home but ive run out of it... I think im taking about 65-70% of the protien I should be taking, but I will look into it more.

mixta
02-06-2003, 02:54 AM
Wednesday 5th Febuary 2003

Legs

Short and sweet today

45 Degree Leg Press

1*12 @ 400lbs
1*12 @ 500lbs (PR!!!!)
1*12 @ 500lbs (PR!!!)

Very happy with the leg press. I thought I was at least 2 weeks away from hitting 500 but I hit it pretty well :cool:

Hack Squat on 45 Degree Sled

1*12 @ 88lbs
1*12 @ 88lbs

Had a sore lower back after these. For me this would have to be the most awkward thing to put in its place after you have completed the set. Dont like this at all, lol

Leg Extensions
1*12 @ 50 lbs
1*12 @ 50 lbs

legs were stuffed after these

Standing Calve Raises

1 *12 @ 260
1* 12 @ 260
1*12 @ 220

Lying Leg Curls

1*12 @ 25lbs :redface:
1*12 @ 25lbs
1*12 @ 25lbs

I dont know why, my hammies just dont want to catch up with my calves and quads :confused:

After these I just did a few cable curls and did some hanging leg raises.

Diet

Meal 1: Bowl of Nutri-Grain and glass of skim milk

Meal 2: Chicken Pie, 500ml Chocolate Flavoured Milk

Meal 3: 250 grams of Creamy Pasta, 1 apple, 1 orange, 2 cups
of water

Meal 4: Muesli Bar and cup of water

Meal 5: Meatballs, serving of rice and spinach

Meal 6: (Ater Gym workout) Protien shake, 2 glasses of water

I seem to be getting protien from my shakes and milk, but need to get more protein food wise.

WillKuenzel
02-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Hey good to see you got your username thing figured out. Welcome back :D

Look liked a nice leg session man!

I dont know why, my hammies just dont want to catch up with my calves and quads You may want to toss in some Straight Leg Deadlifts (SLDL's). These can really help to hit your hamstrings too. With all the pressing (leg press, hack squat, and leg ext) that's 3 exercises for you quads to the 1 (leg curls) for you hamstrings. Adding SLDL's in there or even replacing it with one of the quad exercises should help you out a little.

Tank23
02-06-2003, 04:15 AM
yeh.....SLDL's rule!

Franjipani
02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
1*12 @ 500lbs (PR!!!!)
1*12 @ 500lbs (PR!!!)

Yayyyyyy... brilliant job !!! You are just cranking out the PRs on leg press:thumbup:.

Actually, they my most favourite exercise at the moment:D :D

mixta
02-09-2003, 04:48 AM
HomeYield

Hey good to see you got your username thing figured out. Welcome back

Thanks! Mixta123 is no more, lol

Look liked a nice leg session man!

It was good! :) Pity I parked the car 50 metres from the gym because the car park was full up, lol

You may want to toss in some Straight Leg Deadlifts (SLDL's). These can really help to hit your hamstrings too.

Excellent idea, definately gonna try these next leg workout

Franji

Yayyyyyy... brilliant job !!! You are just cranking out the PRs on leg press.

Thanks! :) I will be sticking to this poundage for a while until I get used to it, I had to really give it heaps to crank those reps out.

Actually, they my most favourite exercise at the moment

Yeah I like them a lot too, theyre good fun

Tank23

Thanks for stopping by to have a look!

yeh.....SLDL's rule!

SLDL's for me next week! :cool:

mixta
02-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Friday 7th February 2003

Chest,Triceps

DB Bench Press

1*10 @ 65lbs :(
1*10 @ 65
1*10 @ 65

I really wanted to do the 70's but I couldnt swing the things up :mad: The gym has the handle sizes all mixed up and the 70lbs is thicker than the 65lbs and yet the 75lbs is thin handled like the 65lbs, lol i think :confused: I might just jump to the 75 instead next time, although its easier said than done :D

DB Flat bench Flyes

1*12 @ 35lbs
1*12 @ 35
1*12 @ 35

Dips

1*8 @ BW
1*8 @ BW
1*5 @ BW (failed at 5th rep, tried to go for 8)
1*3 @ BW
1*3 @ BW (forced reps)

At the 4th rep on my 3rd set, my arms went numb at the top of the rep, I panicked a bit because I thought I was gonna fall down and hurt myself but I forced another rep in and that was it

Pec Deck

1*12 @ 40 lbs
1*12 @ 40
1*12 @ 40

Down 15 pounds from the last time I did them :redface:
Still debating wether this exercise is any good, I mainly do it to finish the pecs off, give em a bit of a fry :D

Abs

1*20 @ 22lbs (on the decline bench)
1*20 @ 22
1*20 @ 22

Didnt do any other tricep work other than the dips and with the presses, maybe I should do more direct tricep work so I can get a increase in my DB Bench ? Also did a few hammer curls.

mixta
02-09-2003, 05:15 AM
Meals for Friday feb 7 2003

Breakfast: 1 bowl of Corn Flakes, Glass of milk

Smoko: Cheese and Bacon Pie, 1 wagon wheel, 500ml chocolate Milk

Lunch: Ham Salad Sandwich, 3 glasses of water 1 banana 1 apple

Afternoon: 1 Muesli Bar, packet of chips 2 glasses of water

Gym : Chocolate protein shake after workout

Tea: Leg of BBQ chicken :) 2 glasses of water, serving of potatoes and beans

Once again main sources of protien are from milk. Eventually I will get them more with food as well.

mixta
02-09-2003, 05:23 AM
Sunday February 9, 2003

Cardio Workout

I usually dont type my cardio workouts but since I did them at the gym I thought Id try something different.

Rowing Machine

20 mins on this one

Treadmill

20 mins, cant remember the incline setting, but 10 mins of this was running

Exercise Bike

25 mins, pedalling with different intensities each minute

Abs

3*20 @ 20lbs, on the ab machine with the ropes

Not bad today, a bit of variety.

mixta
02-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Meals for Sunday February 9 2003

Breakfast: 1 bowl of Nuri-grain, 1 apple, 2 glasses of water

Lunch: 2 Ham and tomato sandwich, 2 glasses of water

Gym: 1 chocolate protein shake

Tea: 3 small lamb chops, serving of beans 3 small potatoes, 2 glasses of water

Evening snack: 1 large mango, peanut butter and cheese sandwich

Franjipani
02-09-2003, 08:33 AM

Smoko: Cheese and Bacon Pie, 1 wagon wheel, 500ml chocolate Milk

*lol* @ smoko break...

Hee hee...remember those "eat da wagon wheel" commercials??

Ohh while we are on the subject..... I've been cracking up at that commercial with the two kids on the sofa eating watermelon and spitting the seeds at each other...they are covered in black seeds....so funny cause I do that with my flatmate too when we are being silly...:D.

*slowly backs out of journal and blames the daftness on the lateness of the hour*

mixta
02-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Franji

Hee hee...remember those "eat da wagon wheel" commercials??

Lol, thats what went through my head before I bought it! Advertising does work! :D

Ohh while we are on the subject..... I've been cracking up at that commercial with the two kids on the sofa eating watermelon and spitting the seeds at each other...they are covered in black seeds....so funny cause I do that with my flatmate too when we are being silly....

lol, the seeds have to go somewhere! :D

mixta
02-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Sunday 16th Feb 2003

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Incline Db press

1*8 @ 65lbs
1* 4 @ 75
1*8 @ 65

:rolleyes:

Dips

1*8 @ BW
1*8 @ BW
1*8 @ BW
1*8 @ BW (PR!!!)

With a bit of luck I should be able to use some weight on the dipping belt very soon
:cool:

Cable Crossovers

1*8 @ 20lbs
1*8 @ 20 lbs
1*8 @ 20 lbs

Standing lat raises

1*12 @ 15lbs
1*12 @ 15 lbs
1*12 @ 15 lbs

Did a bit of ab work and a few hammer curls.

Observations, Weird stuff

Apart from me struggling to do 75's on my incline presses someone was doing tricep kickbacks next to me. He had 40's and instead of doing the exercise on the bench he stood up, started bouncing up and down throwing the weights around right in front of the mirror. I stayed away until he was finished because it was dangerous. :eek:
I could only get one workout in this week because I was busy with work so hopefully I can do better this week.

mixta
02-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Meals for sun 16th feb

Breakfast: bowl of coco pops and glass of milk, 2 glasses of water

Morning tea: Banana and glass of milk, packet of chips

Lunch: 2 pies with sauce, Glass of orange drink

1 glass of water

Tea: Baked chicken with a few baked potatoes, pumkin, and peas,
glass of water, glass of orange juice

mixta
02-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Havent been working out for about a week, motavation is a bit down for some reason, Ill get stuck into it tommorow :D

Franjipani
02-24-2003, 06:26 AM
baked potatoes, pumkin, and peas

Heehee, this bit sounds like me:D....as for the rest of that diet....:eek:

Why so down on motivation ?? It will be rugby season soon enough;)

Tank23
02-24-2003, 08:40 AM
C'mon Mixta......no slacking off mate!!

Remember....The day you don't go (to the gym).....is the day you don't grow

lol. That better inspire you to get back into it.

-Tank

mixta
02-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Tank23

C'mon Mixta......no slacking off mate!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really got into it tonight. :)

Franji

Ive been down a bit probably because ive been feeling a bit exhausted, I havent been getting much sleep and it caught up with me.

as for the rest of that diet....

lol, im currently working on giving the diet a good spring clean, I got a book which has all the cals and fat measurements for most of the food available.

mixta
02-25-2003, 05:12 AM
Tuessday 25th Feb 2003

Back and Biceps

DB Rows

1*10 @ 80 lbs
1*8 @ 80
1*8 @ 80
1*4 @ 80
1*2 @ 90 (PR!!!)

I shouldnt have done the 90s but the gym was so packed and the chin up machine was being used.

Chins (Chin up machine)

1*4 @ -55kgs 3 second pause at top of rep
1* 4 @ -55kgs '' '' '' '' '' " ""
1*4 " " "
1*4 " " " "

Gave the lats a good fry :cool:

Lat Pulldowns

1*8 @ 80 lbs with 3 second pause at bottom of each rep
1*8 @ 80 ( as above)
1*8 @ 80 (as above)
1*8 @ 80 (as above)

Preacher Curls

1*12 @ 45lbs
1* 8 @ 45
1* 10 @ 45

Abs

3*20 with 20 lbs plate

Debrief

Happy with the rows, chins are starting to cheese me off, biceps are over the place, going up and down in weight a fair bit.
Diet is getting a spring clean, not much point me posting what i ate as it is very similar to what i posted before, but that will change soon ;)

Franjipani
02-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Happy with the rows, chins are starting to cheese me off, biceps are over the place

*lol*

Sounds like me last week..... So when would NOW be a good time to implement this new diet of yours????

Can you give me more info on that book you scored??

mixta
02-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Franji

The book I got is called "Kilojoule and fat guide" Its a little handbook which I got from K-mart last year prior to Xmas.I found it when I cleaned up my room last week :redface: It was only 8 bucks and i have to say its the best 8 bucks ive ever spent :D Its got all the fat and cal contents on just about every food and take away food you can imagine thats on the market, although it doesnt keep a track of carbs. Well worth a look!

mixta
02-28-2003, 06:29 AM
Sounds like me last week..... So when would NOW be a good time to implement this new diet of yours????

lol, no time like the present :D

Franjipani
02-28-2003, 06:46 AM
lol, no time like the present :D

Aint that the truth;)

Thanks heaps for the book tip, I'll check it out.....I usually use fitday.com....they are pretty good..but dont use metric system...and i prefer a quick reference really... dont want to get anal about it though...bores me to tears.... (hopes ectx doesnt read this...lol)...

Cheers hon..hope you are having better weather than we have up here???:D

mixta
02-28-2003, 07:06 AM
thursday 27 feb

Morning Cardio and random leg workout @ the gym

20mins on rowing machine

20mins on bike

I was going to get on the treadmill until my ex girlfriend from a few years ago rocked in :eek: She is from melbourne and came to the area to visit family and friends.Anyway we chatted for a while, kept asking me about my girlfriend, then the guy who works there told me that I should do some weights, and I obliged. she then said " Cool Ill come workout with you! " Fair enough, anyway these exercises I did were just random

Leg extensions
3*12 @ 90lbs (paused at top of each rep)

I cant remember what weight she was doing :D

Standing calve Raises
1*12 @ 260lbs
1*12 @ 300
1* 8 @ 300

I trird doing shrugs on this machine but it felt really weird

Lying leg extensions (hamstring curls)

3*12 @ 25lbs

A few bicep curls and ab work

Got shouted a protein shake. After the workout she says to me " do u think we will ever get back together?" I mean what kind of question is that when im seeing someone already? i said " umm life is funny its too hard to tell" We exchanged numbers as it was her last day in the area, I couldnt have dinner with her as I had to go to work that night. She couldnt get to me beforehand because I was out of town for a while, I wished her well and I got picked up by a friend who gave me a lift to work. I know she still likes me a lot but there are heaps more fish in the sea, shes got no problems getting dates because she does modelling part time and ballet too. maybe she's playing with my head, I dont know but it was a very suprising day nonetheless.

mixta
02-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Friday 28th feb

Chest, Triceps, shoulders

Incline DB Press

1*12 @ 65 lbs
1*7 @ 75
1*5 @ 75
1*4 @ 75
1*4 @ 75

Just trying to get used to the weight, ill go for more reps( hopefully) next week

Dips

1*8 @ BW (BW=220lbs or 100kgs)
1*7@ BW
1*5 @ BW
1*4@ BW
1*4 @ BW

Peck Deck
1*12 @ 40lbs
1*8 @ 50 lbs
1*8 40
1*8 40

Vshaped Tricep cable pushdowns

3*12 @ 40 lbs

first time ive done these with the close grip, it kept my elbows in nice and tight.

Standing Lat raises

3*12 @ 15lbs

Did a few seated DB presses and that was it.

Franjipani
02-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Good to see a workout in there;).

Its bizarre how people re-surface in our lives eh??

"I dont just flirt with danger, I take it out on dates" :p

WillKuenzel
02-28-2003, 08:33 AM
That's a very strong chest workout. Incline DB press looked really good.

Like Franji said its weird how people pop back up. Life likes to toss us some curve balls every so often to keep us on our toes. Sounds like you handled it very well.

bradley
03-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Nice to see you getting back in the workout groove. Incline presses looked strong.

Yeah, sometimes you won't see someone for a while and then they pop up like they just talked to you yesterday. I guess people hate acknowledging that things change. Keep up the god work Mixta;)

mixta
03-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Franji

Its bizarre how people re-surface in our lives eh??

Definately! The funny thing is that I never go to the gym on Thursday mornings but for some reason I decided to. Im a firm beliver that everything happens for a reason and this time I feel that the encounter I had with my ex was a way of telling her that its best that she moves on as Im happy at the moment. I learnt a lot from that relationship that has helped me as a person.

"I dont just flirt with danger, I take it out on dates"

I try not to, lol :p but I always seem to keep doing it!

Cheers hon..hope you are having better weather than we have up here???

It rained for a few days last week, got warm again, and now its fine. The weather is getting cooler so it looks like Ill be spending less time at the beach. What about the weather where you are?

mixta
03-03-2003, 03:59 AM
HomeYield

That's a very strong chest workout. Incline DB press looked really good.

Thanks! :) Im getting the feel for the weight with small reps and then I will progress with more.

Like Franji said its weird how people pop back up. Life likes to toss us some curve balls every so often to keep us on our toes. Sounds like you handled it very well.

Thanks, it was hard going though :p I think the whole gym heard me swear under my breath when I saw her, lol :redface:

Bradley

Nice to see you getting back in the workout groove. Incline presses looked strong.

Thanks, more reps next week hopefully, Gotta keep that form good though :D

Yeah, sometimes you won't see someone for a while and then they pop up like they just talked to you yesterday. I guess people hate acknowledging that things change. Keep up the god work Mixta

Yeah its amazing how that happens just like that! My ex had a hard time acknowledging that things change, but its good that it happened because now she knows its best to move on because Ive shown her that im happy where Im at at the moment. Thanks for the input! :)

mixta
03-03-2003, 04:14 AM
Monday March 3, 2003

Back and Biceps

One handed DB Rows

1*12 @ 80 lbs
1*12 @ 80
1*8 @ 80
1*4 @ 80

Damn, couldnt hit the 3rd set for 12 reps :mad:
Also this guy kept standing in front of me and walking past every time I did the exercise. He came around on the 4th set and as he went past I dropped the dumbell right near his foot. :D I know I shouldnt sh*t in my own nest but a bit of ettiquette goes a long way, his woman doesnt go near the DB rack when im doing my sets, she waits patiently until im finished :) , why cant he take a leaf out of her book? I didnt say anything when I dropped it near his foot, hopefully he can work it out ;)

Chins on the chinup machine

1* 8 @ -50kgs (5kg improvement from last week)
1* 8 @ -50
1* 8 @ -50

Im in two minds about this. My rows are always improving but my chins arent. I drin a lot of water ( especially on hot days) I didnt drink much water today as it was cooler so maybe it had something to do with my improvement with chins? Might even cut down on this a bit and do deads as im keen to get into them, well see

Flat bar Bicep Curls

1*12 @ 55 lbs
1*8 @ 55
1* 8 @ 55
1*4 @ 55

DB shrugs

1*12 @ 80 lbs
1*12 @ 80
1*12 @ 80

3Ab work on the ab machine

3*20 @ 22 lbs

And thats it

Miscellaneous, Rants, Debrief

* See DB Rows :D

Might cut down on Chins, must do deads soon! :redface:

bradley
03-03-2003, 06:33 AM
Nice workout Mixta. Have you thought about maybe doing chins first instead of the dumb. rows? If you are concerned more with improving on the chins then put them first. Your arms are probably somewhat fatigued after 4 sets of dumb. rows. I agree in that deads are a very beneficial exercise.:)

Franjipani
03-05-2003, 02:49 AM
Might cut down on Chins, must do deads soon! :redface:

Do both !!!

I do chins first......then I do deads:D.

mixta
03-05-2003, 04:42 AM
Bradley

Nice workout Mixta. Have you thought about maybe doing chins first instead of the dumb. rows? If you are concerned more with improving on the chins then put them first. Your arms are probably somewhat fatigued after 4 sets of dumb. rows. I agree in that deads are a very beneficial exercise.

Thanks, thats a good idea. I have been a bit guilty of really working on my rows and my chins have been playing second fiddle. So Ill be doing chins first next week and stay on the 80's for the rows for the time being. I agree with you on the deads too :)

Franji

Do both !!!

I do chins first......then I do deads

Sounds like a good idea Franji, very soon I will have a proper program worked after a bit more fine tuning :D

mixta
03-05-2003, 04:52 AM
Diet for Wednesday 5th March

Didnt eat much today but it is way cleaner than it has been in ages, I havent had any fizzy drinks for 4 days now :D

Breakfast

Bowl of Nuri grain with skim milk
Glass of orange juice

Smoko
Chocolate Donut :(
Roast beef+tomato with pickled sandwich (Wholemeal Bread)
2 glasses of water

Lunch
Salad roll with egg
2 pieces of cocktail fish
handfull of hot chips
600ml of skim milk
2 glasses of water

Tea
T-bone steak
half serving of rice
lettuce
grated carrot

Post gym meal
1 banana
Strawberry protein shake

By no means perfect, possibly too much rabbit food, could haunt me if I keep it up as im not sure what it will do bulk wise. Less Sugar which is good. Overall pretty happy as it felt pretty clean.

mixta
03-05-2003, 05:04 AM
Wednesday 5th march 03

Legs

45 degree leg press

1*12 @ 400 lbs
1*12 @ 500
1*12 @ 500

Leg extensions

1*12 @ 80lbs
1*12 @ 80
1*12 @ 80

Standing calve raises

1*12 @ 260lbs
1*12 @ 260
1*12 @ 260
Its down on last week but I didnt feel like going heavier

Lying leg curls

1*12 @ 25
1*12 @ 25
1*8 @ 30

:redface:

but I did practise squats and Sldl's so theyre coming soon

Did some oblique flexor exercises and that was it

Debreif, Comments

Practised the squats and sldl's, want to get more hamstring strength as it is very poor. Abit more fine tuning and ill have a proper workout sorted out then I can really get into it. First time I did legs without dong any bicep work :eek:

bradley
03-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Nice work on the leg press Mixta. The squats should really help the quads and are a great overall exercise. I know how you feel about the SLDL. I have been trying to get my form down on those as well, but to no avail. I want to make sure that I get the form down before trying them with heavy weight.

Tank23
03-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Nice workouts Mixta!! Good to see u getting back that motivation!

SLDL's rule!! Good onya for putting them into your routine mate.

-Tank

WillKuenzel
03-06-2003, 12:03 PM
What kind of split are you currently looking at mixta? Workouts are looking really good and you seem to have all the major lifts that are essential.

Keep practicing those squats and SLDL's. They'll help you out a lot later. Keep up the good work dude! Its paying off.

mixta
03-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Bradley

Nice work on the leg press Mixta. The squats should really help the quads and are a great overall exercise. I know how you feel about the SLDL. I have been trying to get my form down on those as well, but to no avail. I want to make sure that I get the form down before trying them with heavy weight.

Thanks Bradley :) I really want to get into squats as it is a great overall exercise as you mentioned. I tried practising a bit but the gym I go to doesnt have a mirror in front of the squat rack so Im sort of guessing what im doing. No one does them in my gym, the few that do only do partials and I dont see the point in that. Another thing I noticed is that my knees crackle when im on the way down in my squat, it doesnt hurt but it doesnt sound pleasant either. This is why I have put it (squats) off for so long.
Very true on the form with the SLDL's, Im not keen on going further weight wise until I get the form down pat.

Tank23

Nice workouts Mixta!! Good to see u getting back that motivation!

Thanks Tank :)

SLDL's rule!! Good onya for putting them into your routine mate

Yeah im happy about doing that as my hamstrings are really going to benefit from it, hope to get the form down pat and the weight should take care of itself onwards. :D

HomeYield

What kind of split are you currently looking at mixta? Workouts are looking really good and you seem to have all the major lifts that are essential.

Im looking at a 3 day split (mon, wed, fri) but because the gym is always crowded I might have to do my shoulders on a forth day, on Saturdays, depending on whether I can get a full upper body workout done on Fridays.

Keep practicing those squats and SLDL's. They'll help you out a lot later. Keep up the good work dude! Its paying off.

I mentioned to Bradley that with the squats is that my knees make a bit of noise when Im coming down which is weird, and im practising the SLDL's too. Thanks for the encouragement :)

mixta
03-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Friday 7th feb 03

Chest

Quick one today as I was in a hurry

DB Incline Chest Press

1*6 @ 30 lbs (warm up)
1*12@ 65 lbs
1*8 @ 75
1*8 @ 75
1*8 @ 75
1*4 @ 75

Reps are up from last time

Dips

1*8 @ BW (BW=220lbs or 100kgs)
1*7 @ BW
1*5 @ BW
1*4 @ BW

Peck Deck

1*12 @ 40 lbs
1*12 @ 40
1*12 @ 40

Abs

3*20 @ 22lbs on the Decline bench
3*20 @ 22 lbs on the cable ab machine

mixta
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Saturday 8th March 03

Random workout, Shoulders, Biceps, Chest

Seated DB lateral Raises

1*12 @ 15 lbs
1*12 @ 15
1*12 @ 15

Seated DB Shoulder press

1*12 @ 35lbs
1*12 @ 35
1*12 @ 35

Dips

1*6 @ BW (BW=220lbs or 100kgs)
1*6 @ BW
1*6 @ BW

Im surprised I did these considering I did them last night

Machine Pec Flyes

1*12 @ 70 lbs
1*12 @ 70
1*12 @ 70

Cable Curls

1*12 @ 50 lbs
1*12 @ 50
1*12 @ 50
1*5 @ 50

Lying Leg Curls

1*12 @ 25 lbs
1*12 @ 25
1*12 @ 25

Debrief, Comments

Probably overtrained today, but it still felt good. On a side note at work today I was on the forklift and a friend who works down the road was on one too so we decided to have a drag race. :D Any way I was in front but I decided to take a short cut through this dirt track and then I got bogged :redface: I had to tell the boss that I bogged the forklift :D I got it out with the help of a F150 and a chain and ive been banned for using the forklift for a month.

bradley
03-08-2003, 08:43 AM
NIce incline presses Mixta. I would be careful about training the same bodyparts two days in a row. This could lead to overtraining very quickly.

As far as splits go here is the one that I am currently using and it includes a shoulder day instead of performing chest and shoulders on the same day. It seems as though if I try chest and shoulders on the same day one of the bodyparts will suffer because I start getting tired toward the end of the workout.

Mon- chest
Tues-legs
Wed-off/cardio
Thurs-shoulders
Fri-back
Sat/Sun-off/cardio

Tank23
03-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Nice work mate. How come you worked chest 2 days in a row though?

LOL@the forklift drag race. Where do u work?

mixta
03-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Bradley

NIce incline presses Mixta. I would be careful about training the same bodyparts two days in a row. This could lead to overtraining very quickly.

Thanks, it was a pretty silly thing that I did, I was gonna do cardio that day but I felt pretty good for a weights session instead.

As far as splits go here is the one that I am currently using and it includes a shoulder day instead of performing chest and shoulders on the same day. It seems as though if I try chest and shoulders on the same day one of the bodyparts will suffer because I start getting tired toward the end of the workout.

Thats a nice looking split you have there. The same thing happened with me in regards to having chest and shoulder days together, there was no progress whatsoever on the shoulder exercises so Ill be doing them on a separate day, thanks for the input:)

Tank23

Nice work mate. How come you worked chest 2 days in a row though?

Thanks, It was a silly thing to do. I was supposed to do cardio but I felt pumped to do weights instead.It was a spur of the moment thing.

LOL@the forklift drag race. Where do u work?

It was funny until I got a flogging off the boss, another silly thing I shouldnt have done because Im trying to get promoted and this incident hasnt helped my cause :redface: I still havent heard the end of it from the others too!

mixta
03-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Monday 10th March

Back Workout

Chins on the chinup Machine

1*12 @ -45kg
1*12 @ -45
1*10 @ -45
1* 4 @ -45

5kg improvement from last time, form needs more work, reps are up too, happy to get into the 8-12 rep bracket again.

One arm DB Rows

1*8 @ 80 lbs
1*8 @ 80
1*8 @ 80

Reps are down at the xpense of the improvement of chins.

Deadlifts

1*8 @ 22lbs
1*8 @ 22
1*8 @ 22

Had someone look at my form and had it corrected, its all good now, made my lower back feel numb for a while.

DB Shrugs

1*12 @ 75 lbs
1*12 @ 75
1*12 @ 75

Did a few DB curls until I Felt a pain in my bicep :eek: Stopped straight away. Im guessing its from the hiding I gave it on saturday and I havent given it enough rest yet....I hope :D

Comments, Debrief

Finally put deads in my workout, thats about it, remember to stop overtraining.
too.

bradley
03-11-2003, 07:31 AM
I think you will progress at a faster rate on the chins since you put them first in the workout. Glad to see that you are incorporating some deads into your routine. Good idea to get the form down first, then you will be able to go heavy:)

mixta
03-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Bradley

I think you will progress at a faster rate on the chins since you put them first in the workout. Glad to see that you are incorporating some deads into your routine. Good idea to get the form down first, then you will be able to go heavy

Thanks, I hope thats the case. Ive been guilty of focussing on the DB rows more than the chins, one of my goals for this year is to be able to do chins unassisted. With the deads im glad im doing them the right way, trying to get the form down and let my body get used to the movement and let the weight take care of itself. Thanks for the tips! :)

mixta
03-12-2003, 04:23 AM
Wenesday 12th march 03

Morning Cardio

30 Mins on the Exercise bike, using different intensities every 2 mins

30 mins on the rowing machine

Ab work on the Fitball

Diet for today

Breakfast: Bowl of cornflakes with skim Milk and 2 glasses of water

Smoko: Roast beef, lettuce and tomato pickled sandwich on wholemeal bread, 2 glasses of water

Lunch: 2 pieces of cocktail fish, Ham and tomato roll, Handfull of hot chips

Afternoon: 1 Muesli Bar covered in yoghurt

Tea: Stir Fry mince meat with pasta

Post gym workout: 1 strawberry protein shake

mixta
03-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Wednesday March 12 2003

Leg Workout

45 Degree Leg Press

1*12 @ 350 lbs
1*12 @ 500 lbs
1*12 @ 500
1*12 @ 500

Standing Calve Raises

1*12 @ 140 lbs
1*12 @ 260 lbs
1*12 @ 260
1*12 @ 260

Lying Leg Curls

1*8 @ 30 lbs
1*8 @ 30 lbs
1*8 @ 25
1*4 @ 25

Abs (decline bench)

1* 25 @ 22 lbs
1* 20 @ 22
1* 20 @ 22

Comments, Debrief

Couldnt squat, because the squat rack was being used for BB curls :mad: Couldnt do Stiffs either because the gym was packed and everything was being used. I hate going into the gym with a plan and you have to do something different because the gyms packed. I cant go another time because its the only time I can because of work and im not game enough to go balls out in the morning because it will affect my performance at work:whiner:

Tank23
03-12-2003, 05:25 AM
Good work on the chins mate! Good onya for including deads too, they're a tough one, but once u get the hang of it you'll be fine.

That really sucks that you couldn't do squats. That's one of the reasons I've never joined a gym, I can't imagine having to wait for equipment, that would suck. I hope it's not like that at my uni's gym when I do join up.

Oh yeh, and where do you work? You didn't answer my question :D

-Tank

mixta
03-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Tank23

Good work on the chins mate! Good onya for including deads too, they're a tough one, but once u get the hang of it you'll be fine.

Thanks, im happy ive finally put them into my routine.

That really sucks that you couldn't do squats. That's one of the reasons I've never joined a gym, I can't imagine having to wait for equipment, that would suck. I hope it's not like that at my uni's gym when I do join up.

Its funny because sometimes I can go in there and theres nobody around, but most of the time I have to wait my turn, its a bit of a social club unfortunately, Ive got 2 months left on my membership, Ill see what else is on offer but Ill have to travel to get there. I work at a aluminium manufacturing joint for aviation,hydraulics and auto stuff.

mixta
03-15-2003, 06:05 AM
Friday 14th March

Chest Workout

Incline DB Press

1*12 @ 35 (Warmup)
1*10 @ 75 lbs
1* 7 @ 75
1* 9 @ 75

Slight Improvement on last week

Dips

1* 8 @ BW (220lbs or 100kg)
1* 8 @ BW
1* 8 @ BW
1* 8 @ BW

Incline DB Flyes

1* 12 @ 40 lbs
1* 12 @ 40
1* 12 @ 40

Peck Deck

1*12 @ 45 lbs
1*12 @ 45
1*12 @ 45

Abs (Ab Machine)

1* 25 @ 22 lbs
1* 25 @ 22
1* 25 @ 22

Did a few hanging leg raises and that was it

mixta
03-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Saturday 15th March

Shoulders, Triceps

Seated DB Shoulder Press

1*12 @ 40 lbs
1*12 @ 40
1*12 @ 40

Seated DB Lateral Raises

1*8 @ 20 lbs
1*8 @ 20
1*8 @ 20
1*8 @ 20

Reverse Pec Deck

1* 12 @ 45 lbs
1* 12 @ 45
1* 12 @ 45

Bicep Cable Curls

1*12 @ 50 lbs
1*12 @ 50
1*12 @ 50

Also did some DB Hammer Curls after the Cable curls

Tricep Rope Pushouts ( Cable Tricep Pushdown Machine)

1* 12 @ 40 lbs
1* 12 @ 40
1* 12 @ 40

Abs (Decline Bench)

1*20 @ 22 lbs
1*20 @ 22
1*20 @ 22

Did some Hanging leg raises too, only just started these.

bradley
03-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Mixta you might want to rearrange your routine so that chest day and shoulder/tricep day are not back to back. Your delts and tris are used on chest day so you could end up overtraining these muscle groups. Workouts look good though. Keep it up.

Tank23
03-16-2003, 01:16 AM
yeh i totally agree with bradley. A question for you mixta, how come you do bicep curls on shoulder/tri day?

btw...Good work with the training. You seem to have bounced back out of your slump nicely. Not too long ago you didn't want to train at all, now you're training the same muscle groups two days in a row and what not :D

-tank

Franjipani
03-16-2003, 03:46 AM
:hello: hey Mixta,

Well done on your Incline DB press......any improvement is fabulouso in my book:thumbup:

mixta
03-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Bradley

Mixta you might want to rearrange your routine so that chest day and shoulder/tricep day are not back to back. Your delts and tris are used on chest day so you could end up overtraining these muscle groups. Workouts look good though. Keep it up.

Thats a good idea Bradley. I was wondering how long I could keep that back to back workouts up because my shoulders felt fried after chest day. Ill see where else I can put this in. Thanks for the tips :)

Tank23

yeh i totally agree with bradley. A question for you mixta, how come you do bicep curls on shoulder/tri day?

I usually do biceps on back day or leg day, depending on how packed the gym is, this week it was full all week so I had no choice but to do them on shoulder/tricep day

btw...Good work with the training. You seem to have bounced back out of your slump nicely. Not too long ago you didn't want to train at all, now you're training the same muscle groups two days in a row and what not

I think the training bug has bitten me:D I just have to make sure I dont overtrain. Thanks for the input! :)

Franji

Well done on your Incline DB press......any improvement is fabulouso in my book

Thanks :) Lol, the bench is a bit narrow and wobbly though so it was a bit touch and go a few times :D

mixta
03-16-2003, 04:56 AM
Diet for Sunday 16th March

Breakfast: Bowl of Nutri Grain with 2 glasses of water

Lunch: Serving of Lasagne and 2 glasses of water

Afternoon: 1 Banana, Apple, I Hard Boiled Egg, 2 glasses of water

Tea: I Piece of T-Bone Steak, seering of rice and cabbage

Meal 4 : 5 small crumbed chicken fillet pieces (According to the box it had 60grams of protein, hope so because it tasted alright
:D )

mixta
03-16-2003, 05:02 AM
Sunday March 16th

Cardio

Morning: 3.7km return walk to the Newsagent to get the Sunday papers and a few groceries

Afternoon @ the gym:

15 mins on the punching bag

20 mins on the exercise bike with different intensities every 2 mins

20 mins on the rowing machine

1 Caramel protien shake afterwards and that was it. I didnt mind the boxing but im not sure as to how it will affect my recovery after weights sessions though.