PDA

View Full Version : New Yearís Evolutions

Bonny Lad
01-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Hello. Iíve been reading these forums for a month or so now, particularly some of the journals, and what Iíve seen has inspired me to start my own. Iíve been pleasantly surprised by how supportive and pleasant people are, so despite being an unimpressive lifter I thought ďwhy notĒ. All Iíd say is, please be gentle!

A little information about me anyway.. well OK, a lot of information. Sorry if it bores you! Iím planning on writing pretty detailed journal entries for my own benefit in future, so I may as well start as I mean to go on.

MeÖ
Iím a 27 year old male, 6í 3Ē tall and currently weighing a shade over 200lbs. Body-fat is somewhere in the 15-16% region. I only have access to a set of scales which measure fat, no calipers or anything, so the figures arenít terribly accurate, but I hope that by measuring regularly Iíll at least be able to get an accurate picture of whether Iím gaining/losing fat.

I havenít taken any girth measurements at the moment, but I will remedy that sometime this week. Likewise, I have no photos but will hopefully upload some in the near future. Iíll apologise in advance as Iím not exactly male-model material, but Iím hoping it will be a form of motivation to see progress visually as well as on the scales.

Iím also an insulin-dependant diabetic, currently taking 8-10 injections per day (totalling approx. 140iu per day). This will limit my goals slightly, as I will be unable to cut past a certain point (I need enough subcutaneous fat to inject myself). However, I believe that point will be somewhere around 10%, which Iíll be more than happy with anyway (thatís far leaner than I am at present!)

Aside from the insulin I donít / wonít be using any drugs.

TrainingÖ
Iíve trained in the past, off and on, but never taken it seriously enough to make any substantial progress. After a long period of doing virtually no exercise, I decided to train again and have been lifting for three months now. Iíve taken it slowly, starting off with light weights and gradually increasing them while concentrating on good form. Although Iím not lifting a lot now, the weights Iím moving are heavy enough for me that I find them challenging, and every workout now feels productive.

Currently I lift twice per week at a friendís house. Weíll be changing our routine soon, but will continue to concentrate on the big basic lifts. I may supplement these two workouts with another session at home, training the smaller exercises Ė grip work and forearms, ab work, rotator cuff etc. Iíll see how things go after we change the routine, and add this day if I think itís necessary.

DietÖ
My diet is reasonable at the moment, but not great. I eat plenty of healthy foods, but supplement it with absolute crap too. Iím going to cut out most of the crap and swap in more fruit, vegetables, and decent proteins. I bought a blender/juicer, so hopefully thatíll make it easier to have good "snacks". I doubt Iíll become a total food fanatic, and will probably still eat crap occasionally, but Iím planning to closely record what I eat for a while so that I can at least control my caloric intake. I should really do this for my diabetes anyway, so thatís two incentives.

The only supplement I take is cod liver oil, which Iíve taken for years anyway. I may try supplements in the future, but may not Ė if I find I can gain without them I wonít bother.

GoalsÖ
My goal over the long-term is to put on a decent amount of muscle, and be reasonably lean. Pretty vague, but there you go. To be more specific, Iíve set the date of 24th July 2004 to get to 10% body-fat (or as close as I can get while still being able to inject comfortably), while adding as much muscle as possible Ė hopefully 20lbs or so. I donít know if thatís realistic or not, but weíll see. After that, Iíll set some new targets and go for them.

In the shorter term, Iím currently trying to gain weight (I donít like to call it "bulking" because Iím not trying to pack on loads in a short period; just a gradual gain). Iíll probably have a four-week "cut" around Easter (again, not a full-on dump-a-stone-per-week affair, just an attempt to lose some fat). Iíll then try to gain for a while before "cutting" in the summer. After that, Iíll be trying to gain weight throughout the winter.

As I say, Iím not talking about drastic swings from "bulk" to "cut"; itíll just be a case of trying to gain muscle at a steady rate, and losing some of the inevitable fat build-up every few months. Sometime in the spring 2004, Iíll hopefully start a real fat-loss period, and that will be my first really conscious effort to get lean. I'll start this sometime between April and May, depending how much fat I have to lose.

Iíll post todayís workout now, and continue to post workouts and random thoughts, dietary information as regularly as I can.

Wish me luck; this is about my 6th attempt to train seriously enough to make real progress, but as they say ďI have a good feeling about thisÖĒ

Bonny Lad
01-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Trained at 9:30am, Sunday 5th January 2003.

Note: All weights are in kilosÖ

Squats:
60 x 8 | 65 x 8 | 75 x 15 | 75 x 15

One-arm DB Row:
24 x 8 | 31.5 x 8 | 31.5 x 8

SLDL:
50 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 90 x 8

DB Curls:
14 x 8 | 16.5 x 8 | 19 x 8 + 1 (Hammer curls)

Overall, a decent workout. Squats arenít at my ďfull-onĒ weight yet; I realised a month or so ago that I had been cheating and cutting them short of parallel. So I dropped the weight right back, and am now slowly building it up while making sure I hit parallel every rep. They still felt pretty hard, but not ďall outĒ effort.

DB Rows were good, nice control and good form throughout. Likewise the SLDLís felt good, and although itís a slightly lighter weight than Iíve managed before, they felt more in control. I think Iíll start to inch my way up from here and keep the form tight.

Curls were great; no cheating even on the final reps, only a very slight assist with #9, and that was my first time trying 19ís Ė I was expecting to get 5 or 6 reps, so 9 was excellent. Iíll try the 19ís for my second set of regular curls next time in addition to the hammers.

Food:
I havenít started to monitor my food properly yet (tomorrow will be the first day I do this). Pretty crap today actually: no breakfast; fruit and protein shake post-workout; lean beef, potato and veg for lunch; chocolate in the afternoon; eggs, bread and char sui with rice for dinner. Blame relatives.

Water intake was poor, maybe 1.5-2 litres (I usually drink maybe 3-4). Blame relatives again.

Sleep:
7 hours last night, but I had a very restful Saturday so I still felt fine when I woke up.

Question:
Should I convert my weights into pounds? I just realised that virtually everyone records in pounds, whereas the plates I use are kilos. Is it worth converting or not?

Thatís about it, only my first workout record so Iíve probably forgotten something but never mind. Next workout isnít until Thursday, but Iíll post food info before then and maybe some measurements if I get a chance (and can find my tape measure).

WillKuenzel
01-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Should I convert my weights into pounds? I just realised that virtually everyone records in pounds, whereas the plates I use are kilos. Is it worth converting or not?Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us can convert it in our heads if not there are plenty of online converters. Do whatever is easiest for you. After all this is your journal. We want to help you where we can but you'll find and online journal will be really beneficial for you.

That being said: Welcome to WBB and congratulations on starting your journal. Keep it up and we'll all see the transformation. Good luck with it man. Nice posting too by the way!

bradley
01-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Great start with the journal, and good luck reaching your goals. I have found that a journal is an excellent motivational tool.

Bonny Lad
01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Hmm, not the best start for my journal Ė I start it off, then the next day the forums die. Is someone trying to tell me something? ;)

Anyway, here are some entries for the last couple of days.

Monday 6th January 2003

Decent food day today, lacking a bit in fruit but otherwise good. I tried a Myoplex shake in the morning for the first and last time Ė nice taste, but bugger me it was thick! I felt like I needed a hammer and chisel to get into it, and had to use a sink plunger to force it down my throat. I think Iíll stick to blending protein powder into milk and fruit; far easier to swallow, and tastes just as good. Luckily Iíd gotten one sachet to try before buying a box.

Anyway, throughout the day I had a few beef, tuna and chicken sandwiches (granary or whole-wheat bread, no mayo or butter) and a little tuna-and-pasta salad. Not ideal, but not too bad and the best the local shops had to offer (as I couldnít take any food to work with me for various reasons. Laziness being the main one.)

Evening meal was lean beef, potato, and veg; then a blend of semi-skimmed milk, banana, and protein powder a couple of hours later.

Total intake was about 220g protein, 380g carbs, 65g fat, 3000kcal.

Water intake was fine, something like 4 litres.

Iím hoping to note what I eat for a couple of weeks and see what my weight does during that time. Iíd be happiest with a moderate but steady gain (maybe three pounds per month or so), so Iíll adjust up or down as needed. If I need to eat more itíll probably be extra milk or fruit, adding it gradually until I start to gain. If Iím putting on weight too fast and need to cut anything itíll probably be by having smaller portions for my evening meal; thatís by far my largest feed of the day right now.

Bonny Lad
01-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks very much for the messages bradley and HomeYield - hopefully I'll become a regular around here, I'm certainly thinking the journal will help on those odd occasions when motivation can falter a bit. Cheers for the encouragment! :)

Bonny Lad
01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Tuesday 7th January 2003

My fianceís birthday today, so the food thing kinda went a bit pear-shaped in the evening.

Day-time was pretty good; milk, a little fruit, cold meat sandwiches (without butter or mayo again). By the time we went out in the evening Iíd probably had around 1600 cals and 120g protein. But at the restaurant... well, I had a load of raw salad, some chicken breast and a jacket potato. Oh, and some scampi, chips, onion rings, mayo, and cheese. No idea how many calories, how much fat etc.; letís just categorise it as lots (and then some).

Iím not really too worried about this Ė I donít mind pigging out on special occasions, and thatís the last of them for a good few months.

Plenty of water today, and I drove to the meal so just drank diet coke and water there.

Bonny Lad
01-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Trained at 5:30pm on Wednesday, 8th January 2003.

Bench:
50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 76 x 7 + 1 | 75 x 5

Deadlift:
60 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 122.5 x 15 | 125 x 13

DB OH Press:
19 x 8 | 24 x 8 | 24 x 6

L-fly:
2.5 x 12 | 2.5 x 12

Not a bad session. The bench was OK, needing only a little bit of help for the 8th rep of 76ís. Iíd hoped to do better on the 75ís, Iím a bit disappointed with these but I did what I could. Iíll try the same weight next week again, hopefully get the full set of 76ís and a couple more 75ís (ideally a full set of 8 of both).

The deadlifts were good. The 122.5ís felt easy, though my form for the last three wasnít too hot. Rep 13 was a bit dodgy (it ended up being a two-phase process of straightening my legs then almost stiff-legging it up), so I stopped and tried to re-set myself for the last two reps (stood up, took a few breaths etc.). I obviously didnít get myself in position quite right for the last two, so they were really ugly. They still went up though.

The second set was a lot harder, but form felt really tight Ė as good as itís ever been I think. I stopped for brief pauses after reps 7 and 11. I then got two more good reps, but failed halfway up on rep 14 Ė my back just couldnít lift it, so I ended the set there. I was pleased that even when I failed it was with good form, and I could replace the bar carefully without having to just dump it. Thatís the first time Iíve failed to get all my reps on the deadlift, and itís actually made me more confident on the exercise. Lifting heavy weights - well, heavy for me - on exercises that hit the lower back always worried me slightly, but this has shown that I can really push hard and not compromise my form, which has allayed that worry a bit. Overall, the two work sets felt really productive.

I could probably have got the full 15 reps on the second set if I used more pauses earlier on. I may experiment with this in future, but for now Iíll just continue as I am, trying to inch the weight up slowly and get all my reps every time. If I can add even a kilo every week, and keep that up for a good few monthsÖ

Shoulder presses werenít bad, about what I expected really. I went up slightly in weight from last week, managing a full set of the 24ís then a partial set, as opposed to one set of 24ís last week. Iíll stay at that weight next week and try for two full sets. The new tiny plates (see below) should make it easier to increase in this exercise over the next few weeks.

Finished off the workout with two sets of L-flyís.

Overall it was a decent enough session. I was happy with the deads, and the bench and DB presses were OK Ė not spectacular, but not bad. I think our routine may be changing over the next couple of weeks, so weíll see how that affects things (Iíd prefer to deadlift on back day so my back gets more rest, and we may start doing chins rather than DB rows and EZ bar curls rather than dumbbells Ė but weíll see).

Other stuff:
One cool thing to talk about today Ė we got some new toys. Two pairs of 0.5kg plates, two pairs of 0.25kg plates, and an EZ bar. Weíve found that jumping up 2.5kg at a time is a bit much on some exercises (e.g. DB shoulder presses), so these should hopefully make stepping up in weight a bit easier. I think Iíll prefer the more gradual increase in weight, rather than jumping up but not getting full sets.

Iíve also got to mention how impressed I was with the company we ordered the stuff from (Watson Gym Equipment in the UK). Every company Iíve heard of before has taken ages to get their arses in gear, but I ordered the bar and plates at 5.30pm on Monday and they arrived Wednesday morning at about 10am. Not bad at all!

Food:
Food was decent for most of the day; more of the same at work, with plenty of cold meat sandwiches, a fair bit of fruit, and some milk. My evening meal was rice with pork and veg. I overestimated the quantity a little, and hence took too much insulin, so went hypoglycaemic in the evening, meaning I ended up scoffing full-fat coke (urgh!) and biscuits to bring my blood sugar back up Ė arse. Total intake was something like 200g protein, 400g carbs, 90g fat and 3200kcal. Drank loads of water today, in excess of 5 litres (more than usual because the office was something like 27 C today, and Iím generally most comfortable at about 17. Díoh).

Sleep:
About 7 hours today. Forgot to mention sleep above, but it's been 7-8 hours each night - not quite as much as I'd like, but not too bad.

Blimey, long post Ė hope you managed to stay awake ;).

Mik
01-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Nice journal Bonnie Lad! Good luck with your goals. I look forward to reading your entries.

Bonny Lad
01-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Thursday, 9th January 2003

Iíve got a pleasant pumped feeling in my lower back thatís telling me my deadlifts were good yesterday. Well, itís not pleasant exactly Ė knowing yesterdayís workout was good is nice, but walking round like someone stuck a poker up my arse isnít the best. Still, the price we payÖ

Food has been the same as ever, sandwiches and milk through the day blah blah blah. Evening meal was steak, potato and veg, and I'll have a protein and milk shake before bed. Total is around 220g protein, 350g carbs, 80g fat, 3000kcal.

Weighed myself at 7:00pm, result:

Weight: 208 lbs
Body-fat: 15.9% (note again that this may not be accurate, but should let me track progress up or down).

Thatís the first time Iíve weighed myself since I started the journal, so effectively thatís my starting point. Iíll probably weigh a couple of times a week, mainly because I want as many bf readings as possible to be able to track whatís happening. Though the result itself may not be that accurate, I can at least know which way I'm going.

Not much more to say really; no more training until Sunday morning, spending most of the weekend with my fiancť (so Iíll see how the food thing goes when Iím at hersÖ fingers crossed!) Iíll post some more updates when I get the chance; probably on Sunday sometime.

Right, that's the end of the catch-up spam :).

ericg
01-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Great journal man!

Nice and neaT :thumbup:

rookiebldr
01-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Bonny Lad
Thursday, 9th January 2003

Iíve got a pleasant pumped feeling in my lower back thatís telling me my deadlifts were good yesterday. Well, itís not pleasant exactly Ė knowing yesterdayís workout was good is nice, but walking round like someone stuck a poker up my arse isnít the best. Still, the price we payÖ

I see you're not so new to the game since you already know the joys of deadlifting. So well done. Good luck on those goals.

bradley
01-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Just curious as to why you keep the reps high on your deadlifts? Keep up the hard work and excellent journal.

Bonny Lad
01-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Catch-up for the last couple of days...

Friday was OK food-wise. Same old sandwiches and stuff throughout the day, then chicken, potato and veg for an evening meal, with some milk for supper. Must have been around 3000kcal, and probably 220g protein.

Saturday wasn't so good. We went to see Lord of the Rings in the morning and I managed to eat a massive tub of chocolate during the film (which was excellent btw). The rest of the day was pretty good - lots of chicken, some bread, potatoes, fresh fruit, salad etc. - but that morning bout wasn't too clever. Total will have been something like 160g protein, 120g fat, 400g carbs, so about 3300kcal in total. Bleh. Will have to be more resolute in future, occasional crap is fine but not a whole tub of chocolate (about 250g) at a time.

Thanks all again for the encoragement. bradley, we've been doing high reps of squats and deads since we started lifting in October, basically to get used to the lifts. We're actually about to change a few things around, and one of the changes will be to drop the number of reps on the dead and squat, perhaps to 5 or 6. We're also going to swap a few exercises about - put in chins and bent-over rows for back rather than one-arm rows, perhaps try barbell presses for DB presses, and try EZ curls rather than DB curls. This'll be happening over the next week or two, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, today's exercise entry coming up...

Bonny Lad
01-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Trained at 9am on Sunday, 12th January 2003.

Squats:
60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 77.5 x 15 | 77.5 x 15

Bent-over Rows:
40 x 8 | 40 x 8

SLDL:
50 x 8 | 92.5 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 30 x 8 | 35 x 8

Not much of a workout today as I was very pressed for time and my training partner was feeling a bit ill. Squats were up from last week, still not maximal effort but fairly tough. Next week we will probably start trying for fewer reps with heavier weights.

Bent-over rows were intentionally light as it's the first time we've done them, so we're just learning form really. I think form was good, I certainly felt the lats and traps working, so we'll start adding weight from next week and hopefully should build up to "working hard" pretty fast.

SLDL's were good, but I only did one work set because I thought I was running out of time. Did them nice and slow though, good form on them all.

EZ curls were good, first time doing these instead of DB curls. We still did "heavy for us" weights, as the exercise is so similar to DB curls. I'll be building up from here, but probably not very fast - the 35's were tough, so it'll be kilo-at-a-time stuff pretty soon I reckon.

So overall, average at best. Form felt good throughout, but I didn't do as much work as I'd have liked. Not to worry, I think that'll be the last "hurried" workout for a while (fingers crossed!)

Food:
Bleurgh. Not great. Breakfast was just milk, maybe 1 1/2 pints, then I didn't eat anything until a late lunch (I was driving all morning). Lunch was a Sunday roast, so plenty of protein and carbs, but also plenty of fat. This was followed by various cack in the afternoon, and a pretty crappy evening meal (just basically a "buffet" kinda thing, so probably more fat than anything else). I'll have a fruit, milk and protein powder smoothie later on, but on the whole the day's been pretty grim.

Sleep:
8 hours+ each night, but I've been tired all day today so that still might not have been enough. I'll try to get to bed earlier today, so hopefully that'll sort me out...

Next training session is Wednesday, but depending how I feel I may do some accessory work before then; today's workout wasn't that taxing, so I may be able to do this without affecting my recovery.

Bonny Lad
01-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Trained at 5:30pm on Tuesday, 14th January 2003.

Bench Press:
50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 76 x 8 | 72.5 x 6

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 100 x 8 | 130 x 5 | 135 x 5

Pullovers:
10 x 8 | 10 x 8

DB OH Press:
19 x 8 | 24 x 8 | 24 x 10

Trained a day early as it was the most convenient day this week, and I did't feel any soreness after the last session. Pretty good workout overall. I got all 8 of the 76's, an improvement on last week, so I'll go for 77 next week. The second work set was still crap, I seem to have no endurance on the bench - if I do a work set with any real intensity my second set is always piss poor. Something to improve on in time I guess.

Today was the first day of a new rep range on the deadlift. We've done 15 reps for the last three months or so, and have changed to 5 for a while. On the 15-rep sets I'd built up to 122.5kg (and got 13 125kg), so my first work set was only a little heavier than this. It felt fairly hard, but manageable. The 135's likewise felt hard but achievable. My training partner noticed today that my shoulders are sort of "drooping down" at the top, so I think my traps must be a little weak - will have to concentrate on this in future.

Pullovers are just done to stretch, and I'm not really sure they're of much benefit. Any advice on this? I'm tempted to just drop them altogether.

OH presses were far better than last week; think I'll increase the weight slightly next week.

So on the whole, not bad. Progress on the bench is slow, but then I've always been a horrible bencher thanks to having long arms. Still, if I can average even three or four kilos per month for a year, that'd make me more than happy.

Food:
Both Monday and today have been good. Normal stuff throughout the day, milk and sandwiches and fruit. Evening meals have been a roast beef dinner (plenty of protein and carbs, too much fat) and a lamb dinner (same again, though the lamb was very lean). Protein shakes with fruit and milk in the evenings have meant I've been around 3100-3200kcal both days, with way over 200g protein (probably 240-ish).

Sleep:
Not great; I've been getting up earlier for work this week but still getting to sleep at the same time. Maybe 6.5 hours each night, and although it was sound sleep that isn't enough. Will go to bed earlier tonight.

Weight:
I just found out that my scales are incredibly sensitive to the floor surface. Depending on which piece of floor they are on, they can read up to 6lbs different! Great. So as soon as possible I'll get some kind of solid platform (a lump of wood or something) for the scales to go on. Just adds one more layer of inaccuracy - arse! Arse arse arse. Thanks to this I have no way of knowing whether or not I've gained/lost weight this past week and a half. I haven't bothered recording my weight today because of this; as soon as I get a platform sorted out I'll weigh then, and go from there.

bradley
01-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Good work on the deads. As far as the pullovers you might consider dropping them and putting in another exercise that suits your workout. I read where Arnold would do the dumb. pullovers to stretch the rib cage??, but I believe that has been proven false. Although Arnold did have one massive chest so who am I to say any different. Might want to run a search in the training forum and see what you come up with. Workouts looking good.

Bonny Lad
01-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I don't really find the pullover a very comfortable exercise, I think it's probably not doing me a great deal of good. I think I'd be better off doing shrugs or something, as it seems my traps are a weak point in my deadlift. Saying that, I don't know whether shrugging straight after deadlifting is a good idea; if my traps are weak, they're probably already getting a hard workout in the deadlift.

I'll have a think about it and maybe experiment next week; any thoughts or advice would be welcome :).

Bonny Lad
01-16-2003, 01:16 PM
I've just had the most humbling experience of my life. I'd always thought of myself as a realistic, honest-to-himself person, with a firm view of my place in this world - but I was shocked to discover I'm not.

You see, today... I took some photos of myself.

I never before appreciated how vast the difference between your mind's vision of your body, and the rest of the world's vision, can be. Or maybe it's a subconscious tightening of the belly and improved posture when you look in the mirror that's to blame. Whatever, I took a good look at the photos and realised just how much work I have to do. I've always thought I've not got a bad body, that it's at least "OK"; but photographic evidence to the contrary is kinda hard to dispute.

Still, it's the desire to improve which drives us all, and knowing what we're improving from is vital to know how to get to where we want to be. So, as embarrassed as I am of the photos, I'll post them here and look at them regularly and resolve to try harder to get away from the shape I'm in now, towards something better.

Note to anyone considering looking at these - they ain't pretty. I take no responsibility if your retinas spontaneously combust at the sight of my hairy podgy body. You have been warned...

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the shots - I'll work out a better place and take them in better lighting in future. And no, my back isn't yellow in places - that's just my dodgy photographic skills.

First picture is from the back, in an approximation of a lat spread...

Bonny Lad
01-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Next up is a back double bicep kinda shot

Bonny Lad
01-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Third one, my thighs - I'd never realised how much fat I had on my legs until I took this. Urgh.

Bonny Lad
01-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Final one is me doing a... um, a random pose. Not sure quite what this was supposed to be, it's ended up halfway between a "most muscular" (quite a feat considering the lack of muscle) and a "punch yourself in the balls" shot. Anyway, I'll post it for comedy value if nowt else.

(Note: if it looks like there's some pecs there, don't worry - I think it's mainly due to the lighting)

bradley
01-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone has something they want to improve on. At least you are motivated which is something most people lack.

Bonny Lad
01-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not really too gutted - I think it was just the shock of seeing myself accurately is all. I'm actually pretty motivated by it now - looking forward to taking photos evey couple of months or so and (hopefully) seeing progress.

Anyway, food for the last few days...

Wednesday was terrible. Had a massive hypo during the night, and for some reason instead of treating it properly I overate by a load. When I'm that badly hypo it's really hard to think straight, and the hunger I feel is indescribable; so I end up eating too much in an attempt to recover faster, even though I know that's not the best way to handle it.

Anyhow, I ate a load of crap in the night to counter the hypo, which meant I felt like sh*t in the morning because I was then hyperglycaemic, which in turn meant I couldn't face any food for a lot of the day. It wasn't until about 6pm that I could eat properly again.

After that, Thursday and Friday were good - lots of good calories, not much crap. I think I managed about 3200 cal per day, with at least 200g protein each day.

Bonny Lad
01-18-2003, 04:49 AM
Trained at 9am on Saturday, 18th January 2003.

Squats:
60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 80 x 15 | 82 x 15

Chins:
5 | 5 | 4

SLDL:
50 x 8 | 95 x 8 | 95 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 30 x 8 | 35 x 8 + 2

Squats are feeling better each week. Although we're only going up fairly slowly, my form's improving and I'm feeling it more and more. Both sets were solid form-wise, so I'm pretty happy with them.

We finally put the chin bar up today (after saying we'd do that for weeks). This is the first time doing chins for ages, I had no idea what to expect. We did them underhand, with a shoulder-width grip, going from completely straight arms at the bottom. I was happy with what I did, I know it's not many reps but it's a start. We'll keep doing them without any weight for a while before we start adding.

SLDL's were good again, went up slightly in weight and did the full 2 sets (last week only did one). Not much to say really, they felt fine.

The EZ curls were hard! My forearms were pumped from putting up the chin bar (muggins got to do most of the screwdriver work) and then chinning, and my bi's were a bit tired. Still managed to work them well though. We did all three sets with our backs against a pillar, so there was no movement / cheating. The "+2" on the final set was where I stood away from the pillar; the first of the two reps had some slight movement of the back, the second some slight movement plus a little help from a spotter.

Overall a good workout. Everything felt hard (i.e. productive), and I'm really looking forward to chinning. I think that will become one of my "focus" exercises for the next couple of months; I really really want to build up some good chinning strangth. Next training is Wednesday, so I'll just be eating until then.

Bonny Lad
01-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Trained at 5:30pm on Wednesday, 22nd January 2003.

Bench Press:
50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 77 x 8 | 75 x 6

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 100 x 8 | 135 x 5 | 140 x 5

DB OH Press:
19 x 8 | 24 x 8 | 25.5 x 7

Good workout today. The 77's on the bench felt hard, but I got all 8 in good form. I think they felt about as hard as last week's 76's, which is good - I'll be ecstatic with slow but steady progress like this. A kilo a week for a few months would be just fine by me. Second set was short again, which is still a disappointment but is just something I'll have to work on.

Deadlifts were good. The 100's in particular felt amazing - they actually felt light for the first time ever, I had excellent form on every rep and they just felt spot on. The 135's were good as well, nice form and my traps handled the load just fine. The 140's were a lot tougher though; my form was slightly off on the last 2 reps, straightening my legs too early so ending up doing a semi SLDL. But overall I was happy with the work; even those last reps weren't bad, and I'm pleased with getting three plates, even though it brings home how far I have to go. But, it's good to have goals :).

Shoulder presses were fine too; I went up a little for my last set, first time trying 25.5, and they felt solid. That's actually the most we can get onto the bells at the moment, so I'll stay here for a while; we have a couple of plates on order, so once they arrive our max will go up to about 45.5 which gives me a fair bit of room to grow!

Food:
Food's been good all week. I had to do a 15 hour shift at work on Sunday, and I managed to eat a phenominal amount - probably about 4500 cals, and all of it from good, healthy food. Monday, Tuesday and today have been good too; didn't have enough protein on Tuesday night, but still must have managed 190g throughout the day; and Monday and today would be more like 220g. Calories were well over 3000 each day, probably around 3300.

Sleep:
Not too bad, but I'm still tired from Sunday's shift - had to be out of the house at about 6.45am, and didn't get back from wrk until midnight. Ouch!

Weight:
Finally managed to get my scales set up so they're giving me consistent readings. So, my current weight and body fat according to my monitor:

Weight: 211lbs
Body fat: 17.4%
Lean mass: 174.3lbs
Fat mass: 36.7lbs

I also measured myself on some old scales, and have put on 10lbs since September (the last time I used those scales). I have no way of knowing how much of that is fat and how much muscle, but there you go.

Other stuff:
My lats felt sore for 2 days after chinning - excellent! I never seem to feel my lats when I do rows, whether due to poor form or whatever. The chins feel as if they've been more productive, for all I only did a handful. I'm certainly sticking with chins for a while, hopefully I'll see some progress from them. Hams also felt as if they'd been worked; I think dropping back the weight on the SLDL's has been worthwhile.

Next training session is on Sunday, looking forward to it already!

bradley
01-23-2003, 03:08 AM
Have you tried one arm dumb rows? I always feel those in my back, moreso than bb rows.

Bonny Lad
01-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Yeah, we did one arm rows right up until Christmas. It doesn't seem to matter whether I do BB rows, one arm DB rows, cable rows or what - my lats seem to feel it a load more when I chin.

Depending on how things go I'll probably still do some kind of row, but it'll be in addition to the chins. For all I can hardly do any at the moment, I've got this incredible desire to get good at the movement. Deads and chins, they're now my two "passions" :).

bradley
01-25-2003, 01:59 PM
I agree with you about the chins. Stick with those and maybe throw in a set or tow of bb rows or one arm dumb rows.

Bonny Lad
01-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Trained at 9am on Sunday, 26th January 2003.

Squats:
60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 81 x 15 | 85 x 15

Chins:
7 | 6 | 5

SLDL:
60 x 8 | 97.5 x 8 | 97.5 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 36 x 8 | 36 x 8

L-fly
2.5 x 12 | 2.5 x 12

Good workout all in all. Squats felt solid, easier than last week despite the extra 3kg. Hopefully I should be able to keep progressing at this kind of rate for quite a while; if I can get 2 or 3 kilos per week for a month or two I'll be happy.

Chins were better than expected. I was hoping to add a rep here or there on last week, so adding 2 to the first set then 1 and 1 was great. I'm hoping that within a couple of months get to the point where I can do 10-12 for three sets, then I'll start adding weight.

SLDL's felt pretty good, nothing much to say about 'em; good form, felt fairly hard but not too bad.

EZ Curls were hard as my bisceps were already pretty tired after chinning. Still managed to add a kilo and get full sets; again I'll be happy with this rate of progress for a while.

Food:
Food's generally been OK for the last few days. The one exception was Thursday - some of us went out from work with the inevitable result of 9 pints of lager and a KFC afterwards. Oops. Follow that with not being able to stomach much the following morning, and that had a big impact on my week. Other than that it's not been bad though.

Sleep:
Averaging 7 hours per night which isn't really enough.

And that's about it. Next training session will be Wednesday, not doing much before then so hopefully I'll get a good few days food-wise.

WillKuenzel
01-29-2003, 02:39 AM
I don't see why you were being so hard on yourself in your pics. You've got a great base to build and you don't have to worry about putting on too much fat. You do have some size and definition. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Workouts are looking pretty good. Keep it up and keep putting the food down. It takes time, but it all pays off in the end.

Bonny Lad
01-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated. I'm naturally self-depricating, I think that came through when I posted that. I'm not really down about how I look or anything - guess I'm just impatient to improve. As you say it takes time, but I'm willing to put that in.

Anyway, here we go:

Trained at 7:00pm on Wednesday, 29th January 2003.

Bench Press:
50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 78 x 7 | 75 x 7 + 1

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 100 x 8 | 140 x 5 | 145 x 5

DB OH Press:
21.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 6 + 1

Single-Leg Calf Raise
15 | 15

A bit p*ssed off with myself on the bench today. For the last couple of weeks my heaviest set of benches has been really hard, but I've managed them - and I know I had it in me today. I just mentally f*cked up and gave in to them. It's weird, I pushed as hard as possible on the 8th rep and it just wouldn't go up, but I know that if I'd been in the right frame of mind I'd have got it. Bugger. My second set was better, only needing a little help through the sticking point on rep 8 - so I'm getting closer to a full set there.

Deadlifts were better. From next time I'll start doing an additional warmup set - the jump from 100 to 140 was way too much. Still, I got both sets without too much hassle (which is to say, they were hard but I kept good form). Up 5kg from last week, and I think I've still got plenty of room for improvement.

Shoulder presses were decent, with a heavier first set and second set. I'll stay at these weights next week and try for a full final set; after that I'll have to go for more reps, as 25.5 is as heavy as our dumbbells will currently go.

Did some calf raises to finish off. I've been really slack with the accessory work, haven't been doing calves or abs nearly as often as I should be. The idea was to do them on a third "accessory day", but that never happens so we'll start adding them into the main workouts. They were just done with body weight today, taking them nice and slowly, but we'll start adding weight soon.

Food:
Really good. I'm managing to get the calories in every day, and I'm not eating much if any junk. I'm probably eating a bit too much bread and too little potato/rice/pasta, but I'm not bothered about that really. I've been averaging around 3300 cals per day with at least 200g protein.

Sleep:
Good and bad. Only got 5 hours on Monday night, but probably had 8.5 - 9 on Sunday and Tuesday.

Weight:

Weight: 214lbs
Body fat: 17.5%
Lean mass: 176.5lbs
Fat mass: 37.5lbs

Up 3 pounds from last week, with 2 of that being lean mass. That said, I'm not sure how accurate it is - the scales I use could easily be out by a few points of a percent on the body fat. I'll use this info more over time - if I consistently seem to be putting on lean mass and not fat then I probably am. But it could be that next week's reading shows me at 19% or something. I'll have to wait a few weeks and see what trends are developing; but on first glance it seems I'm at least putting weight on.

Next training will be Saturday, can't wait!

bradley
01-30-2003, 06:15 AM
Deads are looking good and you seem to be progressing over each workout. Keep it up.:)

Bonny Lad
02-01-2003, 04:34 AM
Trained at 9am on Saturday, 1st February 2003.

Crunches:
15 | 15

Squats:
20 x 8 | 60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 85 x 15 | 85 x 15

Chins:
7.5 | 5 | 4

SLDL:
70 x 8 | 100 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 36 x 8 | 37 x 7 + 1

Hammers:
19 x 5 + 1

Started off with some crunches today - I'm hopeless with the accessory work, so I'll try to force myself to do some every time. I'll do crunches on squat day and side bends on deadlift day. Doing them before the major movement probably isn't the best time, but I'm only starting out with bodyweight, just really to get in the habit of doing them. I'll move them to after the major movement once I start adding weight.

We also did an extra set of squats with just the bar because it's freezing today. We train in a friend's garage, there's a few inches of snow outside, so consequently it wasn't much above 0 inside. I did 85 for my first work set and they felt OK, but apparently I cut a couple of reps short of parallel. I decided not to go up for the next set and concentrated on getting every rep spot on, which I think I did.

Chins felt harder than last week, which I think was due to slightly better form (still probably not perfect though). I was only about 2 inches short of getting my 8th rep on set 1, but the next two sets were just hard.

SLDL's felt hard on the back. We were also kinda running late, so we cut a set out and I feel guilty as hell. Wish now that I'd just done it.

Found the EZ Curls hard again, went up slightly in weight for the final set but needed a touch on the bar on my last rep. Finished off with a set of hammers, though I used too heavy a weight - my biceps were knackered already.

Food:
Food's been good for the last few days. Getting plenty of calories in, still averaging at about 3200-3300 and eating good food. Hoping to put on another pound or so when I weigh myself midweek.

Sleep:
Still off and on - had to be up early on Friday so I didn't get enough sleep Thursday night, but I slept about 9 hours Friday night.

Shifts:
I start shift work in about 3 weeks time, and I'm dreading what that'll do to my training. The pattern is 2 day shifts (8am - 6pm, with travelling that becomes 6.30am - 7.30pm), then 2 nights (6pm - 8am, becoming 4.30pm - 9.30am with travelling), then 4 days off.

So on my two day shifts I'll be pretty knackered, and the only chance I'll have to train will be late-ish at night. But I train at a friend's house, so that might not always be convenient for him. Training on my night shifts will be out of the question obviously (I'll only have 7 hours between shifts to eat, sleep, shower etc.). Likewise training on my first day off is out, as I'll just have finished a night shift.

So I might be reduced to training twice in my three days off, which would mean I would go: train, one day rest, train, 5 days rest, repeat. Not ideal. Occasionally, when the weekends fall right, I'll be able to train on the day of my first night shift (e.g. if I do Thursday and Friday days, I could train Saturday morning then go to work at the night time). This will happen for a couple of weeks at a time, but then there'll be 4-5 weeks where it won't work out.

I guess all I can do is see what happens, keep eating, and just get stuck in when I train.

bradley
02-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Squats are lookin good. Once you feel good about the form you could probably throw in some heavier sets, maybe in the 6-8 rep range. I usually throw in some of each and I have found that my strength goes up faster when implementing this strategy. I wouldn't worry about wen you are going to train. Just fit it in when you can and when you do get to train keep the intensity high. I have no doubt you will continue to see progress even with that many days off in between training.

Bonny Lad
02-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Missed training today as I had to work late unexpectedly - dammit. I was p*ssed off at first, but it's not too bad - I can train tomorrow instead, which is my usual training day anyway, so no harm done. I just hate that initial feeling that I might actually have to skip a session.

Anyway, I've been thinking lately about goals. I've got long term goals , but I haven't written any shorter-term goals anywhere. So, here's the first attempt at some. Any comments on them welcome - I don't know if I'm aiming too low or too high.

I'll be going on holiday in July, hopefully somewhere hot, so that makes a convenient deadline. Since I'm carrying a fair amount of fat, I'll give myself the final 8 weeks before I go to lose some of that, which means I've got until about mid-May to put weight on. I'll then aim to lose 10-14lbs of fat in that final 8 weeks.

So, by the second week in May I'll aim for the following (and as I say, if anyone thinks I'm way off with my goals feel free to point it out to me):

Bench: 87kg x 8 (current: 77 x 8; very girly I know, but I'm a sh*tty bencher)
Deadlift: 165kg x 5 (current: 145 x 5)
Squat: 100kg x 15 (current: 85 x 15)
Chins: 10 | 10 | 10 at bw (current: 7.5 | 5 | 4)

I'm adding a link to this post to my bookmarks, so no excuses for not viewing my goals regularly (and hopefully being motivated by them!)

Bonny Lad
02-04-2003, 03:13 PM
bradley: My squats are slowly improving, thanks for the compliment :). I think my form's tighter, probably good enough now to experiment with lower rep ranges. I think I'll take your advice and mix it up a bit over the coming weeks, maybe have a few sessions with fewer reps then go back to the higher range. Squats and deads are the only "big" exercises I like big sets for, but as you say it does you good to do some lower rep work too - I'm doing that currently with the deads and feel like it's a great benefit.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Just curious, but where abouts in Northumberland are you?

bradley
02-04-2003, 04:45 PM
I think your goals are attainable, just keep up the motivation and consistency and you will be well on your way.;)

Bonny Lad
02-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Chicken Daddy, I'm from south east Northumberland - right near Ashington. Are you still living up this end of the world?

bradley, thanks for chiming in - as you say, I need to keep the motivation up and hopefully having set these goals will help.

Anyway, on to the training log....

Trained at 7:00pm on Wednesday, 5th February 2003.

Bench Press:
50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 78 x 8 | 78 x 4 + 1

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 120 x 4 | 145 x 5 | 145 x 5

Side Bends:
6.5 x 15 | 6.5 x 15

DB OH Press:
25.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 8 + 1

Single-Leg Calf Raise
15 | 15

Fairly happy with today's effort. I got the 78's on the bench relatively easily, felt loads easier than last week. I totally sucked on the next set, rep 4 was way out of the groove and the form sucked, and that was basically the end of the set. Still, progress on the weight moved so I'm happy enough.

On the deadlifts I added in an additional warm-up set, as jumping from 100 to 145 was too much. First work set was bloody tough, the final rep was shaky form but I got it up and locked out. Second set was similar really, again though I got all the reps locked out. I think progress will be a bit slower from here on out, but I'm hoping to get another kilo or two on the bar every week.

Did some side bends as part of my ongoing effort to do my accessory work regularly. Just did them with empty dumbbell handles, not hard at all but it's just a case of actually doing the exercise regularly and gradually figuring out what weight to use.

OH Presses were fine, but I should have done a warm up set. Stupid me. Still, I'm happy with the reps I managed, up a couple on last week.

Finished off with calf raises, again just with bodyweight but performed nice and slow. Last week my calves were sore for a couple of days afterwards, so I'm not in too much of a hurry to add weight...

So overall, a good workout - yay!

Food:
Good on the whole, but I think I'm maybe not eating quite enough in the evenings. I eat about 6 smallish meals through the day (at about 7.30, 9, 11, 1, 3.30 and 6.30) then have nothing until about 10.30. I haven't put any weight on this week, so I'm wondering whether I need to fit a couple of hundred calories in in the evening. I'll wait and see what my weight does next week before making this change though.

Sleep:
Like a baby. 7-8 hours each night, and I generally feel rested enough.

Weight:

Weight: 212lbs
Body fat: 17.3%
Lean mass: 175.5lbs
Fat mass: 36.5lbs

Down two pounds from last week - hmmm. I'm guessing this is probably due to inaccuracies - last week's measurement was too high, this week's too low, or both. I'm not going to read too much into this until I get next week's reading and have a more accurate picture. However, my initial thoughts are that if I'm gaining at all it's very gradually, so I may have to start eating a little more.

That's about it for now; next training is on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it already!

Bonny Lad
02-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Trained at 9am on Sunday, 9th February 2003.

Crunches:
15 | 15

Squats:
60 x 8 | 70 x 3

Chins:
8 | 5.5 | 4

One arm DB Rows:
31.5 x 8 | 31.5 x 8

SLDL:
70 x 8 | 100 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 36 x 8 | 37 x 8

Hammers:
16.5 x 9 + 1

L-Fly:
3 x 12 | 3 x 15

Kinda gutted about today's workout. I'd been looking forward to it for days, wanting to make a solid step towards my goals for May. Did my crunches, loaded up the bar for my first warmup set of squats... and had a really sore knee. I don't know where that came from, but the bottom half of the exercise was very dodgy. I tried my second warmup set to see if it was just a momentary thing, but it wasn't.

The pain was sort of on the front of the knee cap. It doesn't hurt at all apart from when I get about halfway down in a squatting movement. Anyway, I didn't want to risk an injury so I abandoned the squats for this week. Bugger. I hate missing exercises out, particularly big ones like squats.

Anyway, that put me in a bad mood but the rest of the workout was decent. A couple of extra half reps on chins was decent (got 8 rather than 7.5, then 5.5 rather than 5), and we did a couple of sets of 1-am DB rows afterwards which were bloody hard. The second set was more like 8/7.5 as I jerked the weight up the last few inches on the left arm.

SLDL's were good, same weight as last week but I felt it more on the hams this week. I'll go up a touch next week in these.

EZ Curls were done with the same weight as last week but I got full sets throughout, so I'll probably add a tiny bit next week. The hammers were done with a lighter weight this week and I managed a decent set - weeeee.

Finished with L-fly's, nothing much exciting.

Food:
Not that good, dammit. I generally spend the weekend with my girlfriend but didn't this week, and there wasn't much food in the house on Saturday. Rather than going down the shops and getting some, I just didn't eat very much. Arse. I think this is probably the one thing that'll hinder me more than anything - I can eat enough food some days, but doing it every day without fail is eluding me at the moment. I just need to stop being so damn lazy really.

Sleep:
Really good; about 7 hours on Wed, 9 hours Thursday Friday and Saturday.

I'm fairly disappointed with myself really. I think I did the right thing stopping the squats rather than injuring my knee (particularly as it's the knee I hurt a few years ago playing rugby), but I still don't like it. The worst thing though is my laziness when it comes to food - I'm fine on weekdays, but hopeless on weekends. I need to do something to get my arse in gear - I may start writing down weekly "goals" for my eating, see if that will motivate me. Either that or put a picture of a pint of milk and a chicken breast as my PC's wallpaper.

bradley
02-09-2003, 05:45 AM
lol, at the wallpaper idea. Seriously, dopn't be down on yourself. I think writing the goals down would be a positive thing and would only be beneficial to you. I think that you did the right thing by stopping after the warmup on squats. Don't want to hurt yourself seriously and not be able to walk or something like that. Just let the knee rest and will probably be good to go next week. :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Yeah, man, still here.

NE4.

Do you get into the Toon much?

Bonny Lad
02-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Yup you're right bradley - I'll sit down today and write something out for the coming week. I think that even just planning some meals ahead of time will help when I get that "lazy feeling".

CD, I work right in the town center (on Grainger Street) so I'm through there every day. Don't go out on the night in town that often though, maybe once a month or so - I'm getting old, can't handle the Bigg Market the same way I used to ;).

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Office worker or shop worker?

Bonny Lad
02-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm a computer programmer, which is good as it isn't physically demanding (so I still have energy to train), but bad 'cos it's turned me into a lazy ****. Ah well, win some lose some I guess ;).

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Programmer you say?

I'll understand if you wanna keep it under wraps, but can i enquire who you work for?

I wasn't aware of any companies around that vaccinity that have programmers.

Bonny Lad
02-10-2003, 12:58 PM
The building I'm in is right down the bottom of Grainger Street, pretty much directly opposite Yates'. We've got maybe a hundred programmers there, and there are a couple of other companies in the same buliding. I'm afraid I can't name the company I work for (anal I know, but that's their "communication policy"), but it's basically a medium-sized software house specialising in the financial sector. So we work for investment banks, basically.

I know what you mean though, I never knew there were any offices like that in the city center until I went there for the interview, even though I've walked past the place hundreds of times in the past. Mind you, I was drunk most of those times so maybe that's why ;).

How 'bout yourself; do you work in town? You must live pretty close to there actually (am I'm right in thinking NE4 is that side of town?)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Ah, so you work next to the building that fell down last year?

I see.

Where abouts do you train?

Oh, i'm at University right now, but work in the holidays at the DWP in Longbenton. I live in Fenham. The beautiful estate that it is...

Bonny Lad
02-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Yup, basically right next door. I only started working here in November though, which was just after it happened - apparently that was an *interesting* day at the office ;).

I train at a friend's house - he's put a decent bench and a load of weights in his garage so we just train there.

Anyway, trained today so here goes...

Trained at 5:45pm on Wednesday, 12th February 2003.

Bench Press:
20 x 8 | 50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 79 x 8 | 79 x 6

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 120 x 4 | 147.5 x 5 | 147.5 x 5

DB OH Press:
21.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 9 + 1

Single-Leg Calf Raise
15 | 15

Side Bends:
9 x 15 | 9 x 15

Great session today. We actually started with a light set of deadlifts to get the blood flowing as both me and my training partner were a bit stiff, then a set of benches with just the bar. Went on with the usual warmups, then did 79's and got them no problems at all. That's up a kilo on last week and they're actually getting easier every time - hopefully I'll keep this slow progress up for some time to come. Final set was also better than last week, so yay.

Deadlifts were excellent too. Both work sets were really hard, but I didn't have any doubt I'd get them. I've got to admit I'm thinking my goal of 165 x 5 by May is looking ambitious, but it's something to aim for at least.

DB Presses were good, did a warmup set this time which helped with my form in the work sets. Both work sets felt good and solid, and the "+1" rep had a good negative.

We finished off with calf raises and side bends, again no real weight on them but we're finally getting in the habit of doing them.

Overall a very good session, nothing amazing weight-wise but I improved on pretty much everything, and felt I had a little room to spare on the bench. And my knee hasn't given me any problems since Sunday, which is a good thing.

Food:
Despite saying I wouldn't eat more then last week, I think I have by a little bit. This hasn't really been a conscious thing, just having a little bit more in the afternoons. Not a bad thing I guess.

Sleep:
Been sleeping well, although I'm really tired today despite about 8.5 hours last night. Early night for me I reckon.

Weight:

Weight: 215lbs
Body fat: 18.0%
Lean mass: 176.3lbs
Fat mass: 38.7lbs

Not much to say - up from last week, roughly the same as the week before. A few more weeks should hopefully be enough to spot trends.

And that's about it; pretty dull, but I'm knackered. Bleh.

bradley
02-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Nice work Bonny Lad. Deadlift strength is looking good and happy to hear that the knee isn't giving you any trouble. Keep it up and you will be pulling 165+ in no time. :thumbup:

Bonny Lad
02-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Trained at 9am on Sunday, 16th February 2003.

Crunches:
15 | 15

Squats:
20 x 8 | 60 x 8 | 70 x 8 | 87.5 x 15 | 87.5 x 15

Chins:
7.5 | 5 + 1 | 4 + 1

One arm DB Rows:
29 x 8 | 29 x 8

SLDL:
60 x 8 | 90 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 37 x 8 | 37.5 x 7 + 1

Hammers:
17.5 x 7 + 1

Hmmm, so-so workout today. I did an extra warm-up set of squats to test my knee and it was fine, so I basically ignored last week's aborted effort and picked up from where I'd been the week before. Added 2.5kg to both sets and got them OK, so it'll be 90 next week. Weeeee.

I did slightly fewer chins than last week, but probably in slightly better form. The "+1's" were ones which I got to about 4" from the top, and had a slight assist from my training partner to get the rest; I then did good negatives on them.

One-arm rows were hard again. Actually went down slightly in weight as I think I cheated a bit last week. They felt good - I had a sore back for three days after doing them last week, so I reckon they're doing something right!

SLDL's were a bit crap - I'd intended doing another set, but we pretty much ran out of time. Arse. Finished with a few sets of curls (I really should have done the SLDL's and done fewer curls, I'll bear that in mind in future).

So not a bad workout really, happy with the squats and chins, but I'm now wishing I'd done that extra set of SLDL's.

Food:
Food was good all week, but poor on Saturday - fish and chips for tea, then loads of chocolate at the cinema. I sort of had an excuse, but not much of one. Bleh. I've eaten better today, and should do fine this coming week.

Sleep:
Zzzzzz.

Bonny Lad
02-16-2003, 08:07 AM
bradley, thanks for the encouragement. I've got to say, for all the deads felt hard last week I've been making steady progress - if I can keep the momentum up I should get there. I'm hoping to be deadlifting >200kg by the end of the year, and >220kg (5 plates)by summer 2004. Pretty ambitious goals I think, but I don't think they're totally unrealistic...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-16-2003, 02:35 PM
You been out this weekend then?

I've been right next to your place every day since wednesday (Pizza Hut just an hour ago and Blu bambu every other night lol).

Bonny Lad
02-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Nope, I was in the office a few times though, listening to p*ssed people walking up and down Grainger Street :rolleyes:

Haven't been to Blu Bambu yet, is it any good? IN fact, I haven't been anywhere in the Bigg Market for years; damn it, I miss the bikini birds at Ramjam's / the Vault :(.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Oh God, no, the Bigg Market is awful. I avoid drinking there as much as possible, but Bambu is good. The barmaids wear bikinis.

Unfortunately the guys are topless so it's not always a pretty sight.

Music is good and varied too, unlike Baja. A lot of R'n'B, which is always good. And they have some rather sexy dancers for songs every now and then. And there's ALWAYS about 5 lasses for every lad in that place.

We hang about the Quayside, Grey street recently, including the little cocktail bar on the corner - we f*cking love that place. great screaming orgasm cocktails.

And the gate too, or at least the R'n'B room upstairs at the back in Mood bar.

What time do you work till if you hear the pissheads walking up Grainger street?

bradley
02-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately the guys are topless so it's not always a pretty sight.

Bonny Lad I don't know if I would go into this place.;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Brad, if you've seen Jessica and Natalie, two of the barmaids, you'd spend most of the night there.

bradley
02-18-2003, 02:55 AM
If you say so Robboe.

And there's ALWAYS about 5 lasses for every lad in that place.

This makes me feel better about the place.;)

Bonny Lad
02-18-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm about to start working shifts, which will be two days then two nights then four days off, so I'll be in the office at all sorts of times. Because of the shifts any team meetings we have are at bizarre times, so for example on Sunday I was there from 9pm 'til 11.30, and I'll be in tonight from about 10 'til midnight - despite being on day shift today and tomorrow :(. Still, the pay's good :).

Yeah I've heard good things about Bambu, will give it a try sometime soon. I don't get down the quayside all that much these days, used to go all the time about 6 years ago but it's a bit pricey these days. I'm tending to go out round central station more these days (Yates / Wetherspoons / Long bar / Revolution / Lounge etc.), seems a bit more affordable and easier to get to from work (plus I can always sleep at work if I'm too p*ssed to go home...)

Haven't been out properly in a few weeks now, I'm getting the urge... maybe this weekend when I'm not working... :D

Bonny Lad
02-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Trained at 5:30pm on Wednesday, 19th February 2003.

Bench Press:
20 x 8 | 50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 80 x 8 | 80 x 6 + 1

Deadlifts:
60 x 8 | 90 x 8 | 110 x 2 | 121 x 2 | 150 x 5 | 150 x 4

DB OH Press:
21.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 9

Single-Leg Calf Raise:
15 | +25.5 x 10

Good and bad workout this one. Bench press was great, felt quite powerful on the first work set and got them no problem. It's always nice getting round numbers, so I was well pleased. Second set was to failure and felt decent enough.

I then managed to trap my hand between a couple of plates when stripping the bar - f**k that hurt! So I've got a lovely blood blister about 1cm long on the heel of my hand.

Deadlifts started well, and I added a couple of 2-rep warmup sets which seemed to help (used the bar one of my training partners was using for his work sets, hence the weird weight of 121). My first work set was 150, and I got the first three reps not so bad. I perform the reps with a short rest between reps - so I basically lift, lower to the ground, check I'm set then lift again, maybe 3-6 seconds between reps.

Anyway, after rep 3 I felt out of position so I stood up, reset my feet and went back down. Got in totally the wrong position and f*cked the lift up, moved it an inch then put it down. Reset again, and did the worst rep I've ever done. My back rounded, my legs locked out way too early, and basically it was a really really bad rep. What's more, I felt a little something in my left trap. I completed the set OK, but my trap had been a bit sore.

I waited a few minutes and the trap wasn't at all sore, so I did my second set. This set was actually loads easier, I think I took more care and got set probably. I could have done the 5 reps no problem, but on rep 4 I felt my trap a little again so I cut the set short rather than risk it.

Really f**king stupid mistake to make, I'm annoyed with myself. Saying that, it's taught me a valuable lesson (to focus more when deadlifting!) so it's not a waste. And I still got 150kg for 5!

Shoulder presses were fine, nothing much to report - pretty much the same as last week.

We finished off with some calf raises. First set was just body weight, then we decided to add some weight. I had no idea what weight to try, so I just used the 'bell we'd used for shoulder pressing - mistake. We do our calf raises in a doorway which has a 3" lip, and put a 20kg plate down to make it about 4.5". However, standing in a doorway means there's only the doorjamb to hold on to, and I had to hold the dumbbell in front of me rather than by my side. Consequently I couldn't balance, and the set was really, really hard. I did 10 reps but some were with really poor form.

My training partner put some weights in a backpack instead of holding a 'bell, and that seemed a lot easier so we'll do that in future.

Food:
Generally not too bad, although today's been cack - with sleeping at a weird time and stuff I haven't eaten as much as I should.

Sleep:
Awful! Late night on Sunday thanks to work, decent sleep on Monday but then I got called in to work last night. So I worked 9am - 5.30pm, went home for some food, then had to go back in from 9.45pm - 4am. Didn't get to bad until 5am, woke up at about 10am, and feel like crap today. Bleh.

Weight:

When I checked today my bodyfat was over 20%, which basically means I was too dehydrated to get an accurate reading (unless I've put on about 5lbs of fat and lost 6 of muscle in a week, which I very much doubt!) I'll not have a chance to get a reading again until Sunday night now.

Other stuff:
As I said above, I learned a lesson today with the deadlifting. I don't exactly treat the exercise as a picnic, but even so my focus could probably be better. I know 150kg isn't a lot by most standards, but it's still enough to hurt myself with if I don't respect the exercise properly. I also saw how much easier it was with better form. So that's it, from now on the lift gets my undivided attention (and this applies to every exercise).

Bleh, I'm knackered. Off to bed for me soon...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Did i ask where you train yet?

Bonny Lad
02-21-2003, 01:45 PM
I train at a friend's place. He's put a bench and a load of weights in his garage and we just go there. There isn't a gym at all within 2 miles, and even those that are just about within travel distance are pretty crap (not a single one has a power rack or squat rack for example). It's not perfect, but at least we can do real exercises there. I'm working on persuading my girlfriend that a power rack is an essential item when we buy a house together later this year, so fingers crossed...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-21-2003, 02:01 PM
What region you looking for housing? A nice posh one in Whitebridge Park, Gosforth? maybe nex to Alan Shearer in Darras Hall? A nice villa in Jesmond? ;)

Have you ever thought about joining a gym in town and going straight after work?

Bonny Lad
02-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Aye a mansion in Darras Hall'd be nice - and if I take on another 17 jobs I might be able to afford it ;).

We're probably going to stay in Northumberland somewhere, Bedlington or Morpeth maybe. A lot depends on prices of course, f**k knows when they'll settle down :(.

I've thought about gyms in town, the problem is with the shifts I'll be doing (2 days, 2 nights, 4 off). I could go after the day shifts (they're 8am - 6pm), but I couldn't go on night shift days (they're 6pm - 8am) and I don't fancy going into town on days off just to train as it's an hour each way on the bus. So realistically I'd be able to train on my two day shifts (which are consecutive days) and in the afternoon before my first night shift (which is the day after the two day shifts), then couldn't train for 5 days after that.

I suppose I could train at the gym on work days and at my friend's on days off - hmmm, worth thinking about.

Here's the million dollar question though - what decent gyms are there in town center that aren't a fortune to join? All I want is somewhere I can lift by myself (i.e. needs to be decent machines or - even better - have a power rack), that has decent equipment and not too many meatheads. Any ideas???

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-21-2003, 03:45 PM
No idea. never trained in town besides Eldon Leisure.

There's Banadines on the Quay. Maybe a bit pricey though.

Spirit just closed down for some ridiculous reason so that's out the question.

BodyZone behind Swan House is supposed to be decent though. Fit birds too from what i hear.

You could maybe try and wrangle yourself a membership at the University gym (Northumbria). That is supposedly decent but i'll bet it gets busy during term-time.

You not got a car then i take it?

Bonny Lad
02-22-2003, 04:55 AM
Nah haven't got a car, I decided it's not worth it as parking all day in the city center would be way too pricey. I could borrow a car I guess (I'm insured on about 3 lol), so it's an option.

What's Eldon Leisure like? I seem to remember that's one of the gyms my work subsidises membership for, so it'd be dirt cheap (the other is Ivy Court, which has loads of cardio stuff but not much in the way of weights). Might have a look at Eldon...

Anyway...

Trained at 9am on Saturday, 22nd February 2003.

Crunches:
15 | 15

Squats:
20 x 8 | 60 x 8 | 75 x 8 | 90 x 15 | 90 x 15

Chins:
7 + 1 | 5 + 1 | 3 + 2

One arm DB Rows:
29 x 8 | 29 x 8

SLDL:
60 x 8 | 80 x 8 | 102.5 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 37 x 8 | 37.5 x 8

Hammers:
17.5 x 9 + 1

Fairly good workout today. Still no pain in my knee on the squats, so I think that's definitely behind me now. The 90's were hard, I'm concerned that if I keep increasing at this rate my form will suffer (and I'll go back to cutting them short), so from here on I'm planning to only increase by maybe a kilo a week. Not much I know, but I'd rather do 15 good reps than 10 good and 5 dodgy ones.

Chins went nowhere from last week. I seemed to feel them more in my lats, but didn't get any more reps. In the third set I'd planned to do 8 with help on several of them (so basically I'd do a few normal reps, then a few forced with good negatives) but I couldn't even manage that, d'oh! Next week I may try just doing negatives (standing on something to get me to the top of the movement), or may just continue with three sets of as many as possible.

One-arm rows were good, form was pretty tight and they felt good. Likewise on the SLDL's, form was good on every rep I think. I'll continue to increase slowly on this, and will make a conscious effort to stop dropping sets when we're pushed for time - I'd rather drop curls than these.

EZ Curls were better than last week, still a struggle but I managed all sets with decent form. I think the increases will be dead slow on these, at most 0.5kg per week. Hammers were tough too, my forearms felt about to burst. Ouch!

Food:
Not bad; the calories are going in just fine, but I'm eating more crap stuff again (on top of the good). The reason is that I've decided to use Lent as a time to really focus on training and diet, to cut out all crap food and really go for it; hence I'm subconsciously thinking it's OK to cheat now until it starts (which is in a couple of weeks). Not a good attitude, I'll have to be more disciplined I think.

As regards the Lent thing, it's basically a good focus point. I'm not really religious but my family sort of is, so it's a definite period of time where a few people close to me will be sacrificing things. I'm planning to basically eat "clean" for this period - no more chocolate, no takeaways, no coke / pepsi etc. I'll also focus on eating enough good foods - where at the moment I'm sometimes tempted to skip a meal if I don't feel hungry, I'll try to make sure I eat what I should. Hopefully I'll see some progress on the scales after this 40-day period.

Sleep:
Not bad, though I've felt tired all week. I don't know if this is carrying on from doing Tuesday night and not sleeping well after it, or if I'm generally not sleeping enough. Whatever it is though, I start shifts on Monday so I expect my sleep will suffer for the first few weeks at least.

That's it. No more training until Friday thanks to shifts, boo!

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Eldon is poor for free weights. Very machine-oriented.

Bonny Lad
02-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Hmm, bugger. Might have a look in anyway, but if I can't do any free weights at all it doesn't sound much good unless I totally change my split around. I'd do that, but it would make a mess of my days training at my mate's place as we all do the same routine (doing different stuff would make the sessions last aaaages).

I'll investigate this coming week and see what's gonna be best.

Bonny Lad
03-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Long long time since my last update, so here goes.

First week of shifts last week and they were a pain in the arse. Monday day shift was busy as f**k, I managed to stand up from my desk three times in ten hours (all three times to run - literally - to the toilet). Ended up having to ask people sat near me to get me drinks of water. Shambles.

I was then on Tuesday and Wednesday ngihts. So I went to bed as normal on Monday night, got up 9am Tuesday. I stayed up all day then did a fifteen hour night shift and got to bed again at 11am on Wednesday. Got woken up at 2.30pm (so a whopping 3 1/2 hours sleep), went to work for a fourteen hour night shift then had to stay awake all day, and got to bed 9pm on Thursday - but couldn't get to sleep until about midnight.

Needless to say I've been knackered all weekend. My training on Friday morning was the worst session I've had since I started training, shambles.

I'm hoping I'll get used to the shifts quickly, and that I'll get more rest between shifts. Either way, I think my training's going to suffer for a while at least :(.

Details for Friday's session:

Trained at 9:00am on Friday, 28th February 2003.

Bench Press:
20 x 8 | 50 x 8 | 65 x 4 | 81 x 7 | 81 x 6 + 1

DB OH Press:
21.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 8 | 25.5 x 9 + 1

Single-Leg Calf Raise:
15 | +10 x 15

Side Bends:
10 x 15 | 10 x 15

As I said above, totally crap workout because I was so tired. I should have had the 81's on the bench but just kinda bottled out, and I totally skipped deadlifts. Shoulder presses were OK, as were the calf raises and side bends, but they're just accessory movements - the ones that count are deads and bench, and they were crap on Friday.

Food:
Pretty poor. Food was OK during my day shifts, but nights totally screwed me up - I ate more than I should have on the first night shift, and less than I should on the second. I was also very dehydrated for pretty much the entire three days; I drank a fair bit, but obviously need a lot more than I thought. That's something to bear in mind for this week.

Sleep:
Ahaha. Haha. Hah. Yeah, right.

Weight:
No idea, but I haven't done myself any favours this week. Probably Wednesday will be the next chance I get to check my weight at a decent time of day / decent level of hydration. We'll see what the scales say then, I'm not holding out much hope.

General:
I knew shifts would have a big impact on my training, so I'm not really surprised. I'll just have to do the best I can. I'm looking at houses now with my fiance, and it's my hope that I'll be able to get some weights once we find a place. If so, I'll be able to train more reliably, which should do me the world of good; but until then I'll just have to keep plugging away at it.

Training again today (Sunday), I'll post the outcome of that later.

Bonny Lad
03-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Trained at 4:30 pm on Sunday, 2nd March 2003.

Crunches:
15 | 15

Squats:
20 x 8 | 60 x 8 | 75 x 8 | 91 x 15 | 91 x 15

Chins:
8 + 1 | 5 + 1 | 4 + 1

One arm DB Rows:
29 x 8 | 29 x 8

SLDL:
61 x 8 | 80 x 8 | 103 x 8

EZ Curls:
30 x 8 | 37 x 8 | 38 x 7 + 1

Decent workout, much better than Friday. I basically went up slightly in most exercises - 1kg more on the squat, an extra chin, a tiny bit more on the curls and SLDL's. Nothing exciting about any of it but the form was decent and I felt strong - so I'm happy enough.

Not much else to say really as I said it all earlier. Won't train now until Saturday, though I may squeeze some cardio in on Wednesday - if so it'll be the first time this year, so will be suitably pathetic.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-02-2003, 01:55 PM
every time i go anywhere remotely near Grainger Street these days i check around the buildings on the opposite side to Yatsey's to see if i can guess where your building is.

Is it the one where if you look to the roof there's no real slanting roof, but square "extras" with windows? Crappy explanation but it's the best i can do.

Hard lines re: sleep man. At least the way the Toon are playing should keep a smile on your face :)