PDA

View Full Version : Protein powder

ChrisH
01-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Since im about to start a bulk, I might aswell get a protein supplement as its very awkard since im at college to get it from meat or milk etc.
I'm going to be drinking loads of milk, but it would take ludicrous amounts of milk to get to a decent level of protein intake without a bit of extra protein from other sources.
Enough of this, cut to the question.

Does this protein look ok?
http://www.gnc.co.uk/library/Product.asp?product_id=0815186

Also, which do you guys think would be better:
2 servings per day
2 on training days (one post workout, one during day) and 3 on rest days
3 on training days and 2 on rest days
3 servings every day

If that protein doesn't look that good, is there any better protein on that site? I need it to be a NICE chocolate flavour one, and preferably cheap.

ChrisH
01-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Err, I just noticed that that pro-mass stuff (the one I posted) is a mass gain one, 50g of carbs per serving, 35g protein, 4g fat.
Would it be better to choose something like this:
http://www.gnc.co.uk/library/Product.asp?product_id=22102

Mass gainer or protein?

ChrisH
01-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Or both even? What would be the best way to take it if I got both?

Berserker
01-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Don't down play milk. 1 gram/ounce. When I started bulking that was the main thing adjusted. 90 cals for 8 ounce. It would be easy to add 500 cals a day to your diet. IMO

ChrisH
01-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Whoops, just noticed that this should really be in the supplement forum, but its kinda diet also...

I'm not down playing milk really, im going to drink loads of it, but I was saying that its probably best to get a supplement as well to make it easier. I don't want to drink so much milk that I get bored with it or don't like it.

What should I be aiming for calorie wise and what sort of percentage of protein, carbs, fats etc. ?
I weight about 170lbs

ChrisH
01-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Ordered it two days ago at about 10pm, got it today. Not bad ;p
The protein tub is HUGE! I'm sure you guys are probably used to it but a 2.5kg tub is bigger than I thought. I also got some pro-mass weight gainer. Just saw it and theres a pic of dorian yates on the front with "Dorian Yates approved!" written across it, LOL.
Tried them with milk, protein is wierd choc flavour, tastes ok but a bit rich. The weight gainer tastes pretty nice.

bradley
01-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
What should I be aiming for calorie wise and what sort of percentage of protein, carbs, fats etc. ?
I weight about 170lbs

For total daily calories I would start with 18*bw which would be approx 3000 cals a day. Increase ir decrease this amount until you are gaining about a pound a week.

1g of protien per pound of bw and appox 25-30% of cals from fat. The rest of your cals can come from carbs.

ChrisH
01-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Thats like 90 grams of fat :o You sure?

One question I have to ask is how the hell do some guys manage to pack in 300 odd grams of protein per day???
Today I decided to eat a whole chicken, not sure how much that gives me, I also got about 50-60g from milk and supplements.
I saw ronnie coleman in his video with tupperware full of chicken pieces. I'd love to be able to make myself something like that to take with me to school... Can you buy it like that from any shops (pre cooked) or is it best to cook it yourself? Basically, whats cheaper, because chicken is like 5 for 1kg (with bones and stuff, thats a whole chicken) and fillets are much more expensive.
Need some tips guys!

ChrisH
01-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Then again that much fat would fit in well with me drinking semi-skim milk... I don't really like skim milk, which will be a bit of a bugger when it comes to cutting.

bradley
01-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Thats like 90 grams of fat :o You sure?

One question I have to ask is how the hell do some guys manage to pack in 300 odd grams of protein per day???
Today I decided to eat a whole chicken, not sure how much that gives me, I also got about 50-60g from milk and supplements.
I saw ronnie coleman in his video with tupperware full of chicken pieces. I'd love to be able to make myself something like that to take with me to school... Can you buy it like that from any shops (pre cooked) or is it best to cook it yourself? Basically, whats cheaper, because chicken is like 5 for 1kg (with bones and stuff, thats a whole chicken) and fillets are much more expensive.
Need some tips guys!

I would try and get most of the fat in your diet from healthy sources. You can purchase frozen pre-cooked chicken breasts from the supermarket but they are usually loaded with a lot of sodium or drenched in some kind of salt. What about canned chicken or tuna? I usually carry cans of tuna or chicken or cook my own the night before and throw it into a tupperware container. You can now purchase the disposable tupperware things at the store which are convenient to carry meals in.