PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the fold

Craig James
07-16-2001, 10:16 PM
It has been many years since I last seriously worked out, but I have seen the error of my ways, and I have now returned to the bodybuilding fold. I guess I should post some starting stats:
Weight 208
Height 5'91/2"
Sign Capricorn

Last week, I had my first workout, and eased back into pretty mildly. I did a total body routine meant to just get everything flowing again.

Squat 135x12-15, 225x8, 135x10-12 (hard to remember exactly)

I did some bodyweight pullups - 9reps, then proceeded to some relatively light lat pulldowns for a couple of sets.

I did DB presses on an incline bench, I believe 40x15, 55x8, 65x8 or thereabouts.

That was last Monday. On Friday, my legs were still shot from my wussboy little squat routine, so I left them alone, and placed a little more emphasis on my back.

Pullups with bodyweight 10reps, 8reps, 6reps. All were to failure.

DB bent over rows 40x15, 55x12, 65x10

Light chest work. Just did some light machine bench with some higher reps, followed by the same on the pec deck machine. About 3 sets of each.

Craig James
07-16-2001, 10:30 PM
Today is 7-16-01, Monday

Time to hit legs good and hard today!

I got into the squat rack, and found that my right hammy was feeling a little tweaked, which I blame on my paintball excursion last Thursday night. Too much crouching and scurrying around!

So I opted to get on a leg press machine instead, which I do not like near as much, and pushed out 150x20, 250x15, 370x12(failure), 200x15

That exercise about did me in - man, I am out of shape;)
Decided to hit chest hard, so I got onto a cybex iso-decline machine - the one you load plates onto. I would have gotten onto a flat or incline version, but there were way too many people waiting to use them(I hate going to the gym on Mondays...Everyone is in there to try and work off their weekend excesses...).
I did 90x15, 180x10, 320x4. It is always strange getting onto a machine that you haven't used before and figuring out the poundage to use. I started with a single 45lb plate on each side for the first set to see how it would feel, and it was extremely light, but good enough for a first warmup set. So I threw on another 45 on each side to see if it would be any heavier, and it was a little, but not near to what I wanted my heavy set to be. I decided to bump it big for my heavy set, and ended up with 3 45's and 1 25 on each side, and it was juuust right.

I did 2 sets of pec deck with moderate weight to get about 10reps each. Then I did one set of body weight dips to failure - I think it was 15 reps. Sux, I remember when I used to do like 50-60 reps at a time...

'nuff for today.

chris mason
07-17-2001, 07:45 AM
Yes, let us see your progress from training to failure with limited sets. I am sure the results will be horrendous;)

Sinep
07-17-2001, 08:00 AM
I guess I should post some starting stats:
Weight 208
Height 5'91/2"
Sign Capricorn
Oh, so you're a capricorn... who the f*ck gives.. this is not astronomy, stupid.. :cool:

Gyno Rhino
07-17-2001, 08:14 AM
Sinep, damn you! You are WRONG! It's been studied that:

1) Capricorns and Saggitarius signs benefit from high intensity training more than other individuals.
2) Taurus and Aries have a higher percentage of Type IIA fibers.
3) Leos and Pisces have poor biomechanical leverage.
4) Scorpios suck.

There's some more, but I can't remember it. It's in Bompa's book, "Signs of Overtraining".

Craig James
07-17-2001, 09:23 AM
Sinep, you are right, this is not astronomy - it is astrology. Please forgive my brief, albeit poor, crack at a joke. Lacking any other stats to list, as I didn't have a tape measure handy, I thought a little levity might be in order, as two stats did not seem like much to list. So, I listed my astrological sign, thinking that the whole stat listing thing is kind of reminisce of the start of one of those lame personal ads - I'm sure you know the ones I mean, Sinep...:p

ericg
07-17-2001, 09:39 AM
For what its worth, I found it kinda funny....

happy liftin

Craig James
07-17-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks Gyno for the book reference, and thanks eric for finding my attempt at humor kinda funny.

Gyno Rhino
07-17-2001, 10:06 AM
hehe. No problem. I like the sign reference. hey, I'm a Taurus. And we all know:

Ain't no bull about Taurus.

IceRgrrl
07-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Gyno, what about the Aquarius'?

*feeling left out*

Gyno Rhino
07-17-2001, 08:00 PM
All I know is that Aquarius and Taurus get along verrrry well.. ;)

Craig James
07-17-2001, 09:47 PM
Tuesday 7-17-01

Just got back from a back and limited bi workout.

I will admit that my pulling muscles - back and bi's - have always been a weak point of mine. Boy did I feel how weak they were this evening.

1 set of bodyweight pullups, 10reps

3 sets of sitting Cybex machine rows, don't remember the weights, but the heavy set was for 7 reps with the last one good and slow.

2 sets of upright rows, 12 and 10 reps respectively.

2 sets of machine curls(I dislike these very much, but in my weakened state I am finding them effective.). I do these one arm at a time so that I can really concentrate on feeling the work in each. I saw a thread earlier on asymmetry, and I think it is funny with my body that my left bi is weaker than my right, but my left tri is much stronger - I chalk it up to the things that you do differently throughout the day with your arms. For example, I almost always push doors open with my left arm, but pull them open with my right. Hell, this alone might explain my differences.

Last and certainly least I did 1 set of DB shrugs. I am still feeling the muscles getting used to the workout again, so I am really trying not to go overboard(which I did with chest yesterday, and, damn if it doesn't hurt like sh*t right now!)

I think that my workout is going to end up like this:

Monday
Legs and Chest

Tuesday
Back

Wednesday
Shoulders and Arms

Thursday
Off

Friday
Light overall workout - light weight, higher reps for the whole body

Weekend
Off

Craig James
07-20-2001, 09:32 PM
7-19-01 Friday

Took Wed and Thurs off as I was really feeling the pain from the last couple of work outs - especially the decline cybex bench machine(still getting into the groove here). That machine kicks ass! Thursday played paintball and was not near as winded as I was the week before. Legs felt better, but I'm still carrying too much fat, and it is uncomfortable slinking around bunkers and sh*t right now with my gut in the way. Some little sh*t 15 year old kid was kicking my a$$ all night - you should see the welts on my side.

Today was my light day. The idea is that I hit all of my body parts early in the week then come back on Friday and do a light weight with higher reps workout to get the blood flowing at the end of the week. Since I didn't do any shoulder work this week I did it this evening.

Lets see - did the cybex lateral raise machine for deltoids, 2sets for 15 and 12 reps. Light weight.

Moved to the overhead press machine, and did 2 moderately heavy sets of about 15 and 9 reps - failed on the 9th.

Moved to a leg press machine and did 2 light sets of 20 reps each. Got the blood flowing good.

Next was machine lat pull downs, and I found a great new cybex machine that I could take a narrower grip with palms facing each other. Loved that machine - did 2 sets of 15 reps each. Also did 2 sets of standing straight arm pulldowns with real light weight in-between the lat pulldowns.

It was on to the incline bench machine next, 1 set of 30 reps, 1 set at 20. I used to do a lot of pushups, and I like the higher rep counts on chest from time to time.

And that was it. I am feeling some strength come back, though I have some very weak areas still. Next week I will hit the squats good again, as my hammy feels mucho bettero now(a little Spanish lingo there). I think that I will try to get onto a regular BB bench next week as well. Part of my problem is that I have a buddy who is working out with me who really hasn't worked out before. So I am showing him the ropes to some degree, and I think it is going to take a little bit to get him to try the free weights. Newbies find security in the machines for some reason...

Out...

Craig James
07-24-2001, 10:40 PM
7-24-01 Tuesday evening

I missed my Monday workout because I was recovering from a weekend of gaming and poker playing... Ah well, at least I had a good time.

To make up for it, I pushed together chest and back today.

First order of business was the Cybex decline machine. I really like this machine, as I got a really good workout on it last week, and I had a little better idea of what to expect this time around. I did:
90x18
180x12
340x6 (good strong set to failure)

I then did 2 sets of bodyweight dips, 20 reps then 15. Followed by 2 sets of pec deck - and I can never remember the weight on that one.

Chest done, it was time to move on to back - starting with bodyweight pullups. I did a relatively easy 10reps.

Next I got onto my new favorite back machine - the cybex lat pulldown machine. I used it last week to great effect, so I looked forward to getting on it again. This machine has grips either at shoulder width or close together with palms facing one another. I like the close grip on these. First set was an easy warmup:
150x15
210x10
290(the stack)x5 (failure)

The last thing that I did was one set of straight arm lat pulldowns(pushdowns?). My oh my how these get tough in a hurry! I think I did a wuss weight of like 40 for about 8 or 9 reps.

And that was all... When I write this stuff down, it doesn't seem like I really did anything, but the pump is good when I leave the gym, and I feel like my strength is coming back nicely. I did have to stretch my chest out very well before hitting it earlier because it was a bit on the tight side. I chalk that up to the fact that I hit it so hard last week. It obviously felt fine today, as I jumped up in weight considerably.

Q. How come Barbie never got knocked up?

A. Because Ken always came in another box...

See ya tomorrow...

Chris Rodgers
07-24-2001, 10:44 PM
LMAO@ the barbie joke!!

chris mason
07-26-2001, 04:44 PM
Good job Craig!~

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-27-2001, 09:11 AM
so you do heavy training for bodyparts at the start of the week then go back on friday and do light sets for each bodypart?

Is this working for you?

Thank you.

Craig James
07-28-2001, 05:51 PM
Hey, Chicken, I am still getting back into the swing of things, so I feel that just about anything that I do early on will have some positive effects. With that said, the routine of going heavy on one day, then light on another just harks back to the days when I used to hit the weights all of the time. I made good progress with this routine, and I just like the idea of hitting the muscle really heavy and with low reps one day, then a couple of days later doing more of a pumping routine with the higher reps. I guess it is still to be determined if this will work this time around.

Work and travel last week kept me out of the gym all but I believe one day, so today (Saturday) I thought I would get in and try to make up for it. It was time to get back on the sqaut rack, so here goes-

Squats:
135x12
225x10
275x6

Feeling stronger here, and I should be over 300 in a hurry. Of course the downfall of hitting squats hard, heavy and first, is that I am wiped out after them. I had every intention of hitting the rest of my body in a light overall workout, but I only managed to get a couple of light bench sets in -
90x30
90x25

And, thats all she wrote - I had to lay on the floor for a while like a little girl to catch my breath after this...

I forgot how much I love squats, especially how they can incapacitate you. For example, I got home just a little bit ago, and I could barely walk up the stairs.

chris mason
07-28-2001, 06:15 PM
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.......

Craig James
07-28-2001, 06:19 PM
The first Muscle and Fitness mag that I ever bought was in early 1980. The issue - "Conan the Barbarian". That was my first ever introduction not only to Arnold in the role he was made for, but to bodybuilding as well. I think I may still have that mag laying around somewhere, it was that cool. And, of course, I loved the movie.

It was too bad about the sequel, though...

Craig James
07-30-2001, 08:33 PM
7-30-01 Monday evening

Due to the screw up in schedule last week, today ends up being a back day. Have I mentioned how much I really dislike working out on Mondays??? It can really suck, because everybody and his brother, sister, cousin, and third-step-uncle thinks that they have to workout on Mondays, too. Oh, well, enough whining...

After my light 5 minute bicycle ride to get the blood flowing, I got onto the pull up bar, and proceeded to feel like a giant pansy-ass. I could barely do 9 BW pullups, and I just felt weak as can be. I decided to try a little different grip on my second set, and went with a narrow grip. The next set was much improved, and I did about 12 reps in that fashion.

Moved over to the one arm DB rows.
60x12
80x8
95x8

Those got tough in a hurry... Felt really good, though.

The last exercise that I did was BB shrugs.
135x15
225x15
315x10

When I got finished with those, my back was fried from top to bottom. How many sets total was that for back? I count 8 total sets, two of which were warm up sets... Seems like so little, but I can feel how well it is working for me.

Legs are definately sore from the Sat workout. I must say, it is great to be back in the gym again...

Craig James
08-01-2001, 08:55 PM
8-1-01 Wednesday evening

Ahh, the post workout jellification that is my chest and triceps right now...

Today: Chest day.

First: Cybex Iso Decline Device.
90x18
180x12
360x6 Strong set to failure
180x10

Dips - 1 set of 20reps BW

DB incline benchpress
60x8 to failure - definately out of juice by this time. First DB press that I have done in ages. I will have to remedy that soon.

Crap, thats it... Looks like I hardly did anything, yet my chest and tri's are completely blown. I love this low volume sh*t!

I wish I could think of something more to say - but it appears that all of the blood that should be circulating through my brain is trapped in my chest, and I can't think straight... Kind of like what most women go through on a daily basis!

Did I really just say that? Oops! Just kidding, ladies. I want you gals to know that I truely believe that women are the more intelligent of the species, but according to the male fraternity, I have to make jokes like I think otherwise...:rolleyes:

chris mason
08-02-2001, 05:48 PM
You better watch it, the boobies have ears!

Well, looks like things are going pretty smoothly. Noticed a 20 lb increase in the iso-decline.

xraygirl
08-02-2001, 06:36 PM
You better watch it, the boobies have ears!

Damn skippy they do! And the possessors of said "boobies" also has ability to give a snappy comebacks...
Actually, you're sticking with it and that's muy bueno (a little spanish lingo here) . Most people go a couple of times (usually a Monday) then decide that they much rather stay at home with a pint of HaagenDas Dulce de Leche and Comedy Central reruns.

IceRgrrl
08-02-2001, 06:50 PM
...just because you wish you had boobies....tuttut

Had to laugh at your Monday gym rant...there's one almost like it from a few weeks ago in my journal :)

Craig James
08-03-2001, 09:16 PM
8-3-01 Friday evening

Weight - 209lbs *sigh* gaining weight is not quite what I had in mind, but I do eat like sh!t...

Today was a leg day, but I went into this workout fearing that I might be feeling the aftereffects of helping my little bro with his moving last night. I used one of those hand trucks to move about 20 loads of heavy boxes, and my bro has this small staircase that leads up to his new pad. Pulling the hand truck up each step was similar to deadlifting the weight. 20 loads x 15 steps = lots of deads... Its no wonder that my mid back was sore as can be today.

So, with that in mind, I wondered how it was going to effect my squatting today. So lets see-
135x12 first set nice easy warmup.
225x8 second set, started feeling a bit like a wuss towards the end, but I decided to go ahead and go heavy on my last set-
315x3 ugh, only got 3 reps, but I will use this weight until I get up to 6 or 8 before moving up in poundage.

Did one set of leg curls - 15 reps, followed by one set of extensions - 15 more reps.

One set of calf raises - 20 reps.

Mixed in some arm work today as well.
Straight bar curl-
50x10
70x8
80x7 I am a real wussboy when it comes to curling...

Hammer curls-
30x8
35x4

Superset of machine lateral raises with machine overhead presses.

Tricep pushdowns with rope attachment-
60x15
stack x9

And that was all - the nice thing about today is that I am starting to feel like I am getting some cardio conditioning in relation to lifting heavy weight. I am feeling better and better!

Craig James
08-07-2001, 09:13 PM
8-7-01 Tuesday evening

Weight 211.5 - wow, my Super Bulk Phase must be kicking in!!! (heh)

Today was chest, and I couldn't wait to get into the gym.

First off, I found out that my vaunted iso-decline machine is not a Cybex machine (doh!) - it is actually a Hammer - something... Man do I feel stupid...

Got on and did:
90x20
230x15
380x5 to failure

Moved to cable crossovers:
70x8 to failure
60x11 to failure

The cable crossovers felt great - hit the pecs big time after the hard pressing movement. And the chest was shot.

Did a little bit of ab work, and that was it. Short sweet and to the point. The failure sets were mega high intensity, and I can't see that I could have done much more for my chest if I actually wanted to.

xraygirl
08-08-2001, 04:12 AM
I found out that my vaunted iso-decline machine is not a Cybex machine (doh!) - it is actually a Hammer - something...
I was wondering how long it was going to take you to notice that:evillaugh

Weight 211.5 - wow, my Super Bulk Phase must be kicking in!!! (heh)
Craig, ya needs ta lose da scale. Get a measuring tape and use that to measure your progress.

That is all :D

D.

chris mason
08-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Remember when I asked you if it was a Hammer and you said no, it was a Cybextuttut . Well, doesn't really matter now does it? Great job, looks like the progress is rolling. Man, you are getting heavy !

Craig James
08-08-2001, 09:52 PM
8-8-01 Wednesday evening

Cybex - Hammer Strength.... Eh, whatever.... The machine works which ever name I call it;)

Ice, sorry, but I have always measured by the scale. It goes way back to my high school days when I struggled to break the 150lb barrier. As many of the younger fellas are now, I had so much trouble putting on weight when I myself was younger, that I kind of find it funny that the weight comes unbidden now... As far as using a tape measure... Well I feel like I'd be measuring large quantities of fat... Hell, I should just go by the mirror - but I simply can't stand looking at my fat ass in the mirror right now

So, today was a back day. I started with widegrip pullups:
bwx12 failure
bwx8 failure

Moved to the cybex (yes, it was a cybex) lat pull down machine. Used a close grip and did two sets.
190x12
290(stack)x6

Next was one-arm DB rows:
45x12
80x8
100x6 (5 on left side)

And the last exercise of the evening was BB shrugs
135x15
225x15
315x15

;)

IceRgrrl
08-09-2001, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Craig James

Ice, sorry, but I have always measured by the scale.

Craig, even though xraygirl and I are both female, we are not interchangeable tuttut

Craig James
08-09-2001, 08:27 AM
Oops! Sorry you two - I am being dyslexic... Just seeing the end of the names...

xraygirl
08-09-2001, 09:18 PM
I'll let it go this one time, but next time...let's just say it will hurt you alot more than it will me :bash:

D.

Craig James
08-11-2001, 06:38 PM
8-11-01 Saturday afternoon

Weight 212lb

Lets see, skipped the workout yesterday to play golf in the searing heat... Dumb, dumb, dumb...

So I made up for it today - legs and arms. The problem with working out on weekends for me is that those are days that I set aside specifically to be one gigantic lazy S.O.B. I find it is difficult to get mentally prepared to go hit the iron hard, but decided that you just have to do it.

Legs first, and that means grunting it out on the squat rack. Man, I did my usual warm up with 135lb and it felt heavy... Ugh, I thought I was in for a tough day.

Second set of 225lb for 10 reps was even more difficult. I think that sometimes you just have to suck it up on these kind of days and kick your own ass. I went ahead and threw 315lb on the bar, got myself psyched up, and managed to squeeze 5 reps out - and I was very pleased about that.

I never really did much for calves in the past, as I have normally pretty big ones, but since my training partner shows some interest in working them, I have been doing some token work on them the past couple of leg days. There is a very nice donkey calf machine that we use, so today I did two sets.
180x20
360x15

We moved over to the leg curl machine, and I did one set of 90lbx15. The same thing on the leg extension machine - 90lbx15... Something doesn't seem right with those numbers... Should the extensions be higher?

Done with legs, it was time to move over to standing barbell curls.
50x10
60x10
90x6 plus one assisted

Hammer curls
40x8 failure
40x5 failure

One arm tricep pushdowns
40x12
80x12

And that was all - felt like a large air-sucking-fat-ass afterwards, but I am glad that I went ahead and got the workout in.l

I think that I will go and rest my fat-ass in a movietheater seat later - American Pie 2 sounds like fun...

chris mason
08-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Let me know what you thought about the movie. You are gaining very nicely. How is Bob coming along? Keep it up!

Craig James
08-15-2001, 09:28 AM
8-14-01 Tuesday Evening

Weight 213lbs...
Chest day

Well, it was a long day of driving today, as I had to take some implants to a city 2 hours away for a patient that was on the table, but the nice thing was that I got to race through stormy conditions - wind, rain, bad drivers... Oh, I guess the bad drivers are a given. When I got home this evening, I was a bit wiped out, so I didn't feel 100 percent when my training partner Bob called to go work chest. That is one of the reasons that I have a training partner, though, to force me to go when I don't really feel up to it. So off we went.

Cursory 5 minutes of cardio was first on the agenda as always. Problem was, 5 minutes felt like 30...

We decided to change which Hammer Strength machine we pushed on today, partly because we had been doing the same decline one for the past fews weeks - partly because there was a large stinky individual doing a gazzillion sets on it... So we opted for the incline version instead.
90x18
180x12
320x1 Whoops! Barely got one rep - wrong weight.
270x5 Failure - better weight. I forgot just how much weaker you are on inclines vs. declines.

Then we moved to cable crossovers.
60x15
90x6

And - that was it. We may have done too little this evening, but we pushed some heavy weight with some good intensity, so I am going to have to be satisfied. Next week I will probably do a little bit more. I need to go buy a belt that I can suspend weights from so I can start doing weighted chins and dips.

Chris asked how my workout partner Bob was coming along - Bob is 6'1" about 168lbs. Skinny fella, not much workout experience in the past. Bob is coming along pretty nicely. Much of his strength gains I chalk up to beginners gains and just getting aclimated to the exercises. I believe he has gained a little weight - I need to ask him how much.

Maki Riddington
08-15-2001, 10:48 AM
Wow Craig your weight just keeps increasing.
You must be in good shape to recover so quickly from this long of a lay off.
Great job.

Craig James
08-15-2001, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Maki. I think that good shape and me should not actually be put into the same sentence together for awhile yet.;)

The weights on my exercises have been going up very nicely. I attribute most of it to the fact that once upon a time I used to be quite a bit stronger then I am now. So, is it muscle memory kicking in? Perhaps it is just that I take a week between working body parts hard. We shall see if I start tapering off some time soon.

As for body weight... I decided to clean up my diet this week - no more sodas and a serious cut back on carbs. Lets see how the body weight fairs...

Maki Riddington
08-15-2001, 12:52 PM
Judging from your highschool pics it looks like ya got a great physique.

Hehe, chuckling about the diet. I hear ya.

Craig James
08-17-2001, 09:13 AM
8-16-01 Thursday evening

Weight 214lbs

Back day

Started with the usual 5 minutes of cardio, then moved on to pull ups. BWx12, BWx10

Next was the Cybex pull down machine, close grip. I wanted to really focus on good slow reps today, with a pause at the contracted postition.
190x10
290x7

I then moved over to DB one-arm bent over rows.
100x8
105x8 (left side 7)

BB shrugs:
225x15
315x10 I should have done another set with heavier weight, but I was really fatigued, and still needed to do some shoulder work.

Super setted machine lateral raises with machine military press.
LR 50x20
MP 90x10

LR 70x12
MP 100x9

Serious shoulder fatigue - these seem to work very well together for me. I found way back when that my shoulders used to be one of my lagging parts in my chest pressing movements. When I started working shoulders an extra day during the week, I found that I no longer had an issue with them on my chest days, and I was much stronger in those pressing movements.

And that was all. I am looking forward to working legs tomorrow, and I think that I will do a few more sets for my quads. The squats have been progressing nicely, but I feel those primarily in my ass and hamstrings. We shall see how that work out goes tomorrow...

Craig James
08-17-2001, 11:10 PM
8-17-01 Thursday evening

Weight 213lbs
Fookin' Bonser Leg Day... Hooya!

Felt damn good this eveing as my training partner and I meandered into the gym for a solid leg workout with some biceps thrown in for laughs. As I had posted before, I decided to hit the legs and specifically the quads a bit more this session.

Started with squats, and felt strong all the way around:
135x12
225x8
335x4 to failure
275x8 to failure

Squats are coming along, and since I did 315x5 last week, I thought I would bump the weight up this time, but only got 4. I will stick with this weight next week looking for 5 or 6 reps.

Moved along to the leg extension machine - now I had only done one set of these previously, so this was the one exercise that I wished to up a little:
110x10
150x10
190x9 to failure

Ugh - quads officially fried after that. Next up was the leg curl machine, and opted to do two sets:
110x10
150x6 To failure

Walking is now veeerrrry difficult.

Biceps was the last order of business, and I really only wished to do one exercise because I was so fatigued. So it was standing barbell curls, which seem to be coming along in strength nicely:
50x12
70x10
100x5 to failure

My massive right bicep is getting so huge that it gets in the way during that exercise so I am having trouble getting the barbell all the way up on my heavy set....... ;) Well, it feels that way anyhow...

Alright, I think that my lower back is a weak point right now, so next week I am going to really focus on doing some good ab work as well as some lower back isolation exercises. Other than that, everything seems to be coming along very well. Unfortunatley so is my big-ass belly, though the diet has been much improved this week. I will start a 30 minute a day cardio regime beginning this weekend.

What was that? Ahh, I hear suckers with money in their wallets looking to hand it over to me at the poker tables... Time to go make a few dollars, talk at you later...

Craig James
08-21-2001, 09:59 PM
8-21-01 Tuesday evening...

Chest day
Weight - 212.5lbs

Time for good ol' chest today. Got back to the decline Hammer Strength machine:
90x18
230x12
400x5 failure
270x12 failure

Decided to get on the incline bb bench press. Wasn't sure what I was going to be able to do, so just did it:
135x10
185x3 Wow, pussboy galore here - I was so wiped from doing the heavy declines, that I had no juice left for inclines (yeah, thats my story and I'm sticking to it...)

Pec deck for 2 last sets:
55x10
65x7 failure, and chest's bursting point.

And I did a few ab exercises to end things off.

I have really cut back on what I am eating, meaning I have cut out all soda's and most carbs during the week. On a day like today, I could feel it by the time I got into the gym - I just seemed to lack a bit of energy, though it wasn't anything too horrible. I am having trouble motivating myself to get up early in the mornig to do cardio... I enjoy my beauty rest too much, and God knows I need as much beauty rest as I can get these days...

Oh, and I started a new Clive Cussler book - if anyone likes to read something other than muscle books, Cussler is a great adventure novelist. Cool protagoinist - Dirk Pitt... Time to go read some more (yes it is true, I really am just a mega bookworm at heart...)

Tryska
08-22-2001, 04:03 AM
hey craig....give ytourself about 2 weeks to acclimate to the diet change....you will feel much better after, but for awhile iy's gonna feel like the flu is about to come kick your butt. good luck!

chris mason
08-22-2001, 04:48 PM
So let's see, from what I can see your delcine press on the Cybex machine has gone up 60 lbs since the first time you used it, which was not very long ago. Not bad! Training to failure really has its drawbacks...................;)

PowerManDL
08-22-2001, 10:23 PM
Yeah, nothign like muscle memory to make failure training worthwhile.

chris mason
08-23-2001, 07:42 PM
Well, my response to that would be at least training to failure in the past got him to the point where these weights are coming so quickly due to muscle memory;) .

Craig James
08-24-2001, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
....you will feel much better after, but for awhile iy's gonna feel like the flu is about to come kick your butt.

Thats funny, Trysk - because yesterday the flu did kick my butt... Anyone want to know what it is like to throwup with friggin' sore abs to begin with??? Sucks!

8-23-01 Thursday night

Weight 211

Probably shouldn't have, but I went to the gym anyway after laying in bed yesterday afternoon and most of the day today. I felt better this evening, and was just a glutton for punishment I guess.

Back day:

BW pullups
14 reps, 6 reps

Close grip chins:
5 followed by 4 negatives

Used a different iso-hi row machine today - plate loading
180x12
220x8 plus 2 negatives

Barbell shrugs:
135x18
275x12
365x8

Man, I get so bored with just typing in these numbers... Lets see, how about if I recall a story of a time long ago when I used to work out on a regular basis.

I used to work in a toy store - yeah, I know, kind of peculiar, but it had its fringe benefits. For one, it was a great job while I took a little time away from college to get remotivated for school. Secondly, there were some great looking moms and teenage girls that used to come into the store, so I never lacked for nice scenery.

This wasn't one of those huge chain stores like Toys R Us, it was a smaller chain that specialized in educational, non-violent toys - all the crap that I would have hated as a kid. Partly because it was a hands on joint, that store had its following, as we always had little kids as well as big ones coming in and playing all day long.

I used to entertain myself by either doing magic tricks (gay, I know), juggling, doing yo-yo tricks (gay again, I know), playing tricks on people, or just doing plain old goofy stuff. On the first halloween that I worked there, my assistant manager and I came up with the great idea of having a cross dressing day. All the girls dressed up as guys, and all of the guys dressed up as girls. This was great for my assistant manager, as he was a little dude, and could fit into his wifes clothes pretty easily. I, on the other hand, had a fair bit of trouble trying to figure out what in the hell I was going to wear. Chris and I were hitting the weights very hard at this time, and I think I was a solid 180lbs with perhaps 8-10%bf. My cross dressing options were going to be limited. I ended up borrowing a long denim skirt and a blouse from my beloved mother, and found a super frizzy blond wig and cowboy hat.

On the moring of halloween, my assistant manager, his wife, and I all showed up to open the store. We had a little time first thing in the morning to get ready, so my assistant manager's wife did our makeup for us - vintage street ho'. I changed into the clothes that my beloved mother so kindly lent to me, and found that I was going to have mucho trouble with the blouse. It was the largest that she had, which simply swam on her, but was a tight mamba on me. Unfortunately, this prevented me from throwing a couple of large ballons under my top to serve as gigantic mammaries. I was so jealous of my assistant manager - he had huge ones that he took great pleasure in flaunting at me all day long.

We didn't really have any mirrors in the store to check ourselves out in, but my assistant manager's wife was laughing her ass off, so we figured that we must have been a hit. So it was time to open the store. I steeled myself for the onslaught of people that we usually had first thing in the morning, and I opened the gate to let the horde in. Oh, I almost forgot, I had to give myself a female name. I looked over at my assistant manager, and he had a sticker on his gigantic left hooter that said "Trixie". Hmm, I thought of how awful I must have looked, and decided that I was going to have to be "Helga" from East Germany. Surely you have seen some of those East German women in the Olympic Games. You know, the ones that are larger then most European men. I was every bit as female as some of them are...

So the kids, their parents, and various other folks came streaming into the store that day, and most of them ended up doing some serious double takes at the large, hideously ugly woman in cowboy boots, denim skirt, straining blouse, with the frizziest bad blonde wig and cowboy hat imaginable. Young kids would come in looking for a name sticker, walk up to me and say, "Miss, can I have a -" and pause mid sentence as they tried to figure out just what in the hell I was.

Those poor kids... Some of them were probably traumatized for life, but I take solace in knowing that only two of those kids went screaming and crying to mommy...

Ah, the good old days at the toy store... At least I know that I will never cross dress again.

IceRgrrl
08-24-2001, 06:46 AM
That's hilarious, Craig...I can just picture the whole thing, complete with children on the verge of crying :)

Halloween is always a great excuse for exploring deviant behavior of any kind :D

I think one night of "boobs," pantyhose, and high heels makes men appreciate what we go through...*LOL*

chris mason
08-24-2001, 07:41 PM
Sadly, I remember what you looked like in that getup!

Craig James
08-28-2001, 11:41 PM
8-28-01 Tuesday evening

Weight - 214lbs

Chest day:

Missed leg day last week, and felt pretty guilty about it. I wanted to jump right on it today, but the training partner wanted to go ahead with our usual routine, so chest it was.

In keeping with working on the Hammer Strength machines, this week we used the iso-lateral(neutral - no incline or decline).
90x20
180x12
270x6 failure
180x6 failure and breakdown 90x7 failure

Body weight dips:
10reps failure
7reps failure

I was absolutely fried, but did two sets of pec deck with moderate weight to finish. It is currently 3 hours later, and my chest and tri's are still jello.

Craig James
08-29-2001, 11:36 PM
8-29-01 Wednesday evening

Weight 214.5lbs

Back day

I was getting a little tired of the back routine I had been doing lately, so I threw out the chinups today, and went to one-arm dumbbell rows first off.
55x12
85x10
105x10 failure
55x12 super slow, as high as I could go

Next I thought it might be interesting to superset a standing lat pullover on the lat pull down machine with a wide grip lat pull down on the cybex machine.
50x10 pullovers
170x15 pulldowns

60x8 pullovers failure
210x10 pulldowns failure

Barbell shrugs
135x15
225x15
335x12

My back has been blowing up, but what I notice is that I get some good mass in the lateral aspects of the lats, and lack any thickness in the middle where my scapula are. I think that what I need to do to fix this is find something that I can do some sort of a T-bar row on. In other words, a more upright row then what I have been doing. That, and continue starting with the one-arm DB rows, those seem to hit that part of my back somewhat.

Mystic Eric
09-29-2001, 03:32 PM
bump

where the hell have you been, and how come you're not returning to fold anymore?

Craig James
09-05-2002, 03:13 PM
*dusts off journal*

Hmmm, seems like Iíve been away for a little while...

How are you all doing??? Iím afraid a job change has helped keep me away this last year, but Iíve missed you all, and decided to kick start my journal again.

I had been training pretty well up until about four months ago. At that time, I got into a little game of pickup basketball with some guys from work, and low and behold, managed to totally screw up my left knee. Well, it could have been worse, but it was a meniscus tear that made just walking a b*tch. I ended up dropping my workout completely at that time, and it took me two months to finally get my knee worked on. My doc figured that I had lost some 35% of the mass in my left quad - and it looked like it (it is very depressing to look in the mirror and see a skinny, hairy, puny little leg reflected back at you ).

I hadnít been real enthusiastic about getting back to the weights, but I did want to start using my legs again, and I wanted to start doing some sort of cardio, so I started swimming and getting into racquetball. I know, the racquetball seems pretty crazy to jump right into, but after the surgery, my knee felt very good and stable, I just needed to start using it more. On the racquetball court, I found that I totally favored my right leg at first, but now I am using the left one quite a bit more like normal.

Today I hit the weights for the first time in a long while, and felt like Mr. Gigantic Pansy, Jr. The worst was getting into the squat rack, not sure if I was going to be able to do any. I put 135lbs on and did a couple of sets of 15, and was ready to pass out... Sad, I know, but it is a start, and unfortunately, I think that it is going to take me quite some time to get my left quad back into shape.

Anyway, I will keep this journal posted on my return to form, and I just want to say that it is great to see you all again!

Tryska
09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
:clap:

i stopped wondering where you were roughly 4 months ago.

missed ya man!

sorry to hear you had some trials this past year, but glad you are back on the pony. ;)

good to see ya.

the doc
09-05-2002, 04:09 PM
welcome back!

IceRgrrl
09-05-2002, 04:31 PM
:eek:

OMG...look who resurfaced! ;)

Nice to see you back...

chris mason
09-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Hmmm, your female fans have spoken. Obviously, I am glad to have you back as well.

Craig James
09-09-2002, 12:57 PM
9/9/02 11:53am

Just got done with my first serious attempt at hitting the weights in a long while.

Weight: an even 200lbs

Heavy Push/ Light Pull

Incline Dumbbell Press
50 x 15, 75 x 12, 90 x 3 (third was just barely squeaked up with a looong negative)

Dips
Bodyweight x 20

Cybex Machine Closegrip Pulldowns
90 x 15, 150 x 12

Cybex Rowing Machine
70 x 12

I then hit the racquetball for about 20 minutes. Man, I feel like a mega wuss boy right now...

By the way, does anyone have any ideas on where I can find a dip belt? I've checked at the local big sporting goods stores, and I have had no luck...

Neil
09-09-2002, 01:04 PM
This is the one I got, I like it. (http://www.fitnessfactory.com/FitnessFactory31/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=238&secid=21&linkon=section&linkid=21)

Craig James
09-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Right on, Neil. Thank you very much - will be ordering one later.

Neil
09-09-2002, 01:13 PM
No problemo:)

chris mason
09-10-2002, 10:09 AM
9/9/02 11:53am

Just got done with my first serious attempt at hitting the weights in a long while.

Weight: an even 200lbs

Heavy Push/ Light Pull

Incline Dumbbell Press
50 x 15, 75 x 12, 90 x 3 (third was just barely squeaked up with a looong negative)

Dips
Bodyweight x 20

90 x 15, 150 x 12

Cybex Rowing Machine
70 x 12

I then hit the racquetball for about 20 minutes. Man, I feel like a mega wuss boy right now...

By the way, does anyone have any ideas on where I can find a dip belt? I've checked at the local big sporting goods stores, and I have had no luck...

You should be very happy to have your muscle genetics, lifting the 90s on incline dumbbell press after not lifting weights for almost a year is very nice!

Craig James
09-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by chris mason

You should be very happy to have your muscle genetics, lifting the 90s on incline dumbbell press after not lifting weights for almost a year is very nice!

Thanks, Chris, I am happy being able to come in and push up some weight, but I haven't been completely out of it for a complete year. I was doing some sporadic lifting 12 months to about 4 months ago, then I got the knee injury, and I pretty much stopped hitting the iron at that time.

I sat down recently to look at what my strengths are(not many) and what weaknesses I need to address in my training. I would say that most of my physique is in pretty good balance for the most part (aside from my left quad which needs a bit of work to catch up with my right one), but the one body part that I have a serious balance problem with is my arms. I have very strong triceps and they simply overpower my biceps. I recently started playing racquetball, and I have injured my right elbow somewhat in part, I believe, do to this imbalance. When I swing the racquet, my triceps push out with such force that I don't have a good balancing effect - or stopping force - from my biceps, and the result is I have had some hyperextension issues. Ahh, well, part of it is just simple over-extension on my swing, but still it just points out to me that I need to focus on my biceps in my routine, and pretty much minimize my tricep work(since there is so much done for them with chest work anyway).

So, I don't think I will be trying to compete with Monstar or Chris in skullcrushers anytime soon...Well, not for a month or so, anyway...;)

Tryska
09-10-2002, 03:06 PM
so....your gonna become a curl jockey for a bit?

is that what you're saying?

Craig James
09-10-2002, 04:18 PM
yep, thats right. That whole post was just a pre-emptive strike so that people won't look at my workout and go, "Oh my, what a curl jockey!"

Tryska
09-10-2002, 06:59 PM
*lol*

you ain't foolin anybody.

xraygirl
09-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Welcome back boyo! :hello: An even 200? That means that you've lost some weight, right? Wait...lemme guess, it all came off your left quad...:rolleyes:

MonStar
09-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Heavy Push/ Light Pull

I noticed that you do a heavy and light kind of workouts too. I have just started this but am doing it a little bit differently. How long have you been training heavy/light and why may I ask?

Craig James
09-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Hey, xray, nice to see you! Yes, I have lost some weight since last year - but alas, it all seems to be from my legs...<sigh>

Monstar, there are a couple of reasons why I like(d) to do a heavy/light workout.

First off, I only want to go to failure on a body part once per week, as I have found in the past that worked well for me to grow. And I like the idea of working opposing bodyparts together. So I go to failure on one, and lighten up the load on the other - knowing that I will go to failure on it at an other time in the week.

Secondly, I really don't do a whole lot for sets - for chest the other day I did four sets total. That might be a tad too few, but if I was only doing chest that day, I would be done at the gym in 15 minutes. This way I can spend 25 minutes at the gym(if I don't hit the racquetball).

By the way, my workout is a very simple one:

Day One: (usually Mondays)
Heavy Push / Light Pull
* I will usually do one heavy pressing movement - I like incline DB presses right now. Usually 3 to 4 sets first couple being warmups in the 15 and 12 rep ranges, then the last couple being the serious work sets to failure in the 3 to 6 rep range.
* I love doing dips, so I will do a set or two of these. I will be happy once I get my dip belt so that I can add some weight. I don't currently like doing 20 or more reps.

Then it is on to the light pull movements:
* pulldowns (on any one of the available machines) for 15 and 12 reps.
* rowing (again any type of apparatus available) again for 15 and 12 reps.

Day two: (usually Wednesdays)
Leg/Shoulder/Arm day

*Squat - two sets of warmup 15 and 12reps, followed by two work sets 3 and 6 reps to failure.
* military press three sets - 15, 10, 5 failure on last
* BB curls three sets - 15, 10, 5 failure on last
* Hammer curls two sets - 6, 4 failure on last

Day Three: (usually Fridays)
Heavy Pull/Light Push

* Chins - I am going to have to get used to doing these again, so I will probably only do two sets with bodyweight.
* Rows - I will choose between one arm DB rows, modified T-bar rows, bent over rows, and a couple of different machine rows. Four sets with the last two being failure work sets - 15, 12, 3, 6
* Pulldowns - I already hit this movement a bit with the chins, but I like to emphasize it a little bit more. I will choose any of the available pulldown machines, and do three sets: 8, 3, 6 last two to failure.
* Shrugs - BB shrugs three sets: 15, 10, 6 last to failure
* Flies - two sets of moderate weight: 15 and 12 reps
* pressing movement - something different then what I did on heavy day: moderate weight for 15 and 12 reps.

So, that is my current routine. You can see that I really leave it open as to what exact excercise I will be doing that day, and that is in part do to the fact that some machines or benches at the gym can be tied up for a while(and I hate to wait), but it is also because I get bored doing the same thing and I have to mix things up a bit to keep me interested. If this is detrimental in some way to my gains, then, "oh well".

Craig James
09-11-2002, 12:18 PM
9-11-02 11am

Just finished with day two of my routine.

Weight: 201lbs

Squats
135 x 15
185 x 12
225 x 8
That is where I had to stop. I figure since I am still getting things started up again, I shouldn't over do it, and this felt like it was getting close to over doing it. Slight amount of residual pain in my left knee, but not much worth worrying about. The main problem is just that the left leg is so very weak...

Military press on the Cybex Plate Loading Advanced Shoulder machine
This is a weird machine, and I'm not sure if I really like it. The handles move in and out as you press, so it is a battle when pressing upwards to keep the handles going in the proper direction. Similar to pressing DBs I guess.
I am not sure what the machine itself weighs -
50lbs x 15
90lbs x 12
180lbs x 1 oops! a bit too heavy on that set
140lbs x 5 - hard, hard set to do. My arms kept wanting to go every which way but up...

Standing BB curls
Did one set with light 30lbs, and found that my left bicep was hurting like crazy. The pain was right at the insertion to the elbow, and really lit up with the complete supination of the hands - might be forearm related actually. So, I thought I would hold off on doing anymore of these today-

DB hammer curls
These did not bother my left forearm/bicep at all - go figure...
30's x 10
40's x 5(left arm) 6(right arm)
40's x 3(left) 4(right)

That is it for lifting today. I do plan on doing some yoga with my girlfriend this evening. It's funny, because I started the yoga about a month ago partly because I had been giving my girlfriend a hardtime about it and partly because I wanted to see what it was all about. Now I am completely sold on it. I think that yoga is a great complimentary workout to weightlifting.

I am a big movie and book freak, so I will share some of oppinions...Started a new book a couple of days ago, Rules of Prey by John Sandford. I'm about a third of the way into it and it is a good book so far. Some recent books that I have read are:
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - very good book
Slander: Liberal Lies about the American Right by Ann Coulter - some interesting information
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki - highly recommend this book to everybody - its about money, investing and planning for your future.
A bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks - an ok book that got tough to finish

A good date movie to go see is My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It was very entertaining.
Anyone who likes Chevy Chase should enjoy the movie Van Wilder because the star Ryan Reynolds does his best Chevy impersonation. Funny movie, I enjoyed it.

Craig James
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Just a quick note:

Yoga after a leg day = no good... We did way to many 'squatting' poses and lunges... Legs were so fried that I would be the first one in a room full of women to have to get up out of the pose... So very sad...

Tryska
09-12-2002, 11:02 AM
memoirs of a geisha kicked ass.

your doing yoga now craig? how very new age of you. :thumbup:

Craig James
09-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Weight 201.5lbs

Chins
Body weight: 10, 8
Damn left forearm was bugging me, too.

1 arm DB rows
50 x 15
55 x 12
80 x 10 (oops, this was supposed to be my heavy set to failure around 3 reps... Failure was 10. Still figuring out what my poundages should be)
90 x 6(right arm) 5(left arm) - actually felt my biceps giving out more then anything.

Cybex Pulldowns / Close Grip
170 x 8 (weight was too light - I intend for these to be pretty hard hitting from the get go since I have already done chins)
250 x 3.5 failure
210 x 7 failure

Barbell Shrugs
135 x 15
225 x 12
275 x 8

Lifefitness PecDeck
45 x 15 (good weight - I was really starting to feel it by the 15th rep)
55 x 12 (again, this was good - pecs were frying out right at the 12th rep)

Cybex Chest Press
As far as purely machine bench presses go, this is probably my favorite. You push on a slight decline, and I feel it in my chest perfectly.
10(on the stack) x 15
11(on the stack) x 12 - chest was pumped.

I then hit the racquetball for about 15 minutes. Now its time to get some sun.

I finished reading Rules of Prey by John Sandford, and it was a very entertaining book. If you like stories about serial killers and a cool rogue detective who tracks them down, then John Sandford delivers. I started the second in the series, Shadow Prey last night.

chris mason
09-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey Craig, I finally finished the Cussler book I bought when I was visiting. I finished it about a week or 2 ago (slow, I know, but I only read on the shitter and when I am eating). I really liked it. I am now reading a book called Flight of the Falcon (or something like that). I'll double check the title. Does it sound familiar? Robin's parents gave it to me when I visited. Not bad so far. A WWII story.

MonStar
09-13-2002, 09:17 PM
EDIT: Sorry man, my fault. Good luck with getting back into your training Craig.

Craig James
09-13-2002, 10:10 PM
No problem, Monstar, and thanks!

Of all the things that go into getting big, the toughest thing that I have ever had to contend with in weight training is eating, whether it is too much or too little or just plain eating the 'good' stuff...

When I was first working out when I was 15 through 18 years old, the toughest thing at the time was not getting enough calories (eating enough). I especially remember my senior year of high school well. I am 5'10" and my magic weight was 150lbs. I was stuck. My buddies and I worked out 5 days a week, and we overtrained everything. And I could never budge over that 150lbs mark. The sad thing too was that I wasn't really progressing in strength, either. I had relatively strong legs at the time, but my bench never seemed to go anywhere. Hell, I couldn't move 225 off of my chest. The main fault I place on my lack of eating. The overtraining and lack of good time off would certainly have contributed as well.

Move ahead one year. I am in my Freshman year of college, and with all of the things going on, the gym gets pushed by the way side for a few months. I find myself eating more (I liked to spend time in the food court area because there were so many gorgeous gals running around), and I seem to be drinking a bit more as well (I being a new member of the Delta Chi fraternity). So a couple of months go by, and Chris gives me a new workout to try - High Intensity Training (a new book he had just gotten, I believe, which made me his guinea pig I suppose).

I start this new routine where I only work out 3 times a week, and each time only do 1 set to failure for each body part. Something like 13 sets total starting with squats and ending with curls. Man, I thought, this is going to be too easy! My oh my was I wrong. I couldn't finish the work out the first two times I tried it. I had to go barf in the toilet before I even got to my curls. I eventually got to doing the whole routine and I did it for a couple of months before changing to something more conventional.

When I went to max on my bench at that time, I found that not only could I bench 225, but my max had moved up to 275! Sweet, I thought. Also, my weight had gone from 150lbs at the end of my senior year to 175lbs mid Freshman year (with some added bodyfat I will say). But all around I had gotten bigger and stronger, and eating more was a large part of that.

With all of that said, I think it is time I started charting my daily eating habits to help keep me on the straight and narrow. No more cheesy poofs. No more Suzie Q's.. <sigh> gonna miss those... Thats not to say that I am going to be eating foods that are pure as the driven snow, but I will be cleaning up considerably.

9-13-02

Breakfast:
2 plain, buttered bagels and a coke (still weaning myself off those and the butter) 748 cal, 14.82g fat, 136.46g carb, 18.76g prot

Meal 2:
1 cup cottage cheese (this tasted better than I expected) 100 cal

Meal 3:
6 scrambled eggs 606 cal, 44.70g fat, 8.04g carb, 40.56g prot

Meal 3.5:
Meal replacement shake

Meal 4:
1 cup oatmeal (with some sugar to make it go down) 362 cal, 2.06g fat, 85.20g carb, 9g prot

Meal 5:
2 cups of cottage cheese 200 cal

I haven't bothered to add up calories or anything yet - but having logged it here, I can come back in a bit and count them up...

MonStar
09-13-2002, 10:14 PM
No problem, Monstar, and thanks!

Of all the things that go into getting big, the toughest thing that I have ever had to contend with in weight training is eating, whether it is too much or too little or just plain eating the 'good' stuff...

When I was first working out when I was 15 through 18 years old, the toughest thing at the time was not getting enough calories (eating enough). I especially remember my senior year of high school well. I am 5'10" and my magic weight was 150lbs. I was stuck. My buddies and I worked out 5 days a week, and we overtrained everything. And I could never budge over that 150lbs mark. The sad thing too was that I wasn't really progressing in strength, either. I had relatively strong legs at the time, but my bench never seemed to go anywhere. Hell, I couldn't move 225 off of my chest. The main fault I place on my lack of eating. The overtraining and lack of good time off would certainly have contributed as well.

Move ahead one year. I am in my Freshman year of college, and with all of the things going on, the gym gets pushed by the way side for a few months. I find myself eating more (I liked to spend time in the food court area because there were so many gorgeous gals running around), and I seem to be drinking a bit more as well (I being a new member of the Delta Chi fraternity). So a couple of months go by, and Chris gives me a new workout to try - High Intensity Training (a new book he had just gotten, I believe, which made me his guinea pig I suppose).

I start this new routine where I only work out 3 times a week, and each time only do 1 set to failure for each body part. Something like 13 sets total starting with squats and ending with curls. Man, I thought, this is going to be too easy! My oh my was I wrong. I couldn't finish the work out the first two times I tried it. I had to go barf in the toilet before I even got to my curls. I eventually got to doing the whole routine and I did it for a couple of months before changing to something more conventional.

When I went to max on my bench at that time, I found that not only could I bench 225, but my max had moved up to 275! Sweet, I thought. Also, my weight had gone from 150lbs at the end of my senior year to 175lbs mid Freshman year (with some added bodyfat I will say). But all around I had gotten bigger and stronger, and eating more was a large part of that.

With all of that said, I think it is time I started charting my daily eating habits to help keep me on the straight and narrow. No more cheesy poofs. No more Suzie Q's.. <sigh> gonna miss those... Thats not to say that I am going to be eating foods that are pure as the driven snow, but I will be cleaning up considerably.

Wow CJ, good story man. What a great read. Enjoy hearing how people got into working out and all that. Very interesting to me, seriously.

Anyways man - I am currently training with heavy/light. I dont know what you think of it. I am basically alternating a heavy and light session for every musclegroup every other week. On the heavy day Ill go to failure in the 2-5 rep range. And then on the light day Ill go 3-4 reps shy of failure in the 5-8 rep range. This is to give my muscles a break, etc. Heavy days are for maximal strength and all that.

Does this sound okay CJ?

Craig James
09-13-2002, 10:17 PM
I like it. The difference in my routine is that I go to failure once a week - mostly because I have been out of it for a few months, so I think that it will be the best way for me to get my strength back. Once I plateau, I may very well move to a routine similiar to yours. Good luck, Monstar.

MonStar
09-13-2002, 10:21 PM
I like it. The difference in my routine is that I go to failure once a week - mostly because I have been out of it for a few months, so I think that it will be the best way for me to get my strength back. Once I plateau, I may very well move to a routine similiar to yours. Good luck, Monstar.

Yeah CJ thats kind of what it is for man. Basically for busting through a rut or something like that. But I am going to stick with it as a regular program not just a temporary program or anything like that. Well see how things go in the future with my light/heavy days.

It just gets monotonous training heavy to failure every single workout, week to week ya know? Helps to go lighter to give your body a break. I mean obviously increasing and increasing and increasing youre not going to get strong forever, ya know?

chris mason
09-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Man, that makes me remember the good ol' days. In fact, I remember being on the phone in my parent's study talking to Craig (he was going to college at the U of A while I went to ASU). We were talking about the efficacy of HIT workouts. I also remember going down there to visit and training together at U of A's weight room. Well, no sense in getting overly setimental, but it was a good time for me.

Craig James
09-16-2002, 03:30 PM
9-16-02 1:45pm

Those were good days, Chris...

Weight today: 202lbs

Heavy Push/ Light Pull Day
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel in my pushing excercises today because I got to throwing around the baseball last night and my shoulder was really sore. For some reason when I get out there with my buddies to toss the ball around, we can't just throw nice little short throws. Oh no. We have to start going for the super long distance throws. "Here comes the throw from the wall in center field to homeplate..." Its amazing my right arm is still attached to my body after hurling the way we did.

Incline Dumbbell Press
50 x 15
75 x 10 damn, these started feeling really heavy
90 x 5 yet I still managed to progress here from last week by 2 reps

Dips
I got my new weight-adding belt over the weekend, so this is my first time to try it out - and it worked great.
+40lbs x 8
+80lbs x 5.5 I came so close to locking out on the 6th rep... Since I haven't done weighted dips in about 10 years, I wasn't sure at all what poundages I should be adding. I will up it a bit next week.

110 x 15
190 x 12

Cybex Rowing Machine
70 x 12 oops - thought it was higher weight, but I didn't notice until I got done with the set.
100 x 12 these were down right tough. The weak link here was my posterior deltoids - they were screaming nasty words at me...

No cardio attempt whatsoever this go round...

I just got done watching some stupid show called "Elimidate", where this gal had 4 dudes on a date with her. They would talk for a while and do things like bowl and then she would have to eliminate one of the dudes. She would keep doing this until she was left with one guy, and then I suppose he would be the big winner and they would go on a real date with out all of the other losers.

This Gal was blonde and fairly cute, but seemed pretty vacuous for the most part. If I had been one of the guys, I probably would have done what ever I could to get here to eliminate me, but I like my gals to be cute and smart. Anyway, there are 2 pretty normal guys, one guy who is an obvious player, and the last guy was someone who looked to me to have been a serious geek in school and was now over compensating in every way imaginable. Loser-Guy I will call him. He was a weight lifter and was the only guy wearing a shirt with no sleeves to show off his somewhat bigger then average arms. He had the whole hair and sideburn thing going to show his hipness, a bandanna around his head, and he would go on and on about how he liked to bring out the freak in women. And he couldn't wait to get to the bar later so that he could 'wow' the Gal with his extra special dance moves. Of course I pick this guy out as the total loser who must go first, but the gal eliminates one of the nice guys first instead. Ok, I think, perhaps she just wants over-compensating-Loser-Guy to stick around because he is so fun to laugh at.

The remaining three guys and the Gal then change into fancier attire and goe to a restaurant for dinner and more dumb talk about why their previous relationship didn't work, or what their special girl-getting technique was (don't ask me why I continued to watch - it was kind of like a car wreck that you just cannot avert your eyes from). So everyone has dressed up a little nicer for the evening, and Loser-Guy is now wearing a nicer-sleeveless shirt along with some goofy looking jeans, and a huge belt around his middle - something you would only see on a woman. He looked ridiculous! Some more talk ensues and then it is time for another elimination. Nice guy number 2 gets the axe, leaving Loser-Guy and the Player. The Player is a good looking guy, only he insults everyone at every chance (except the Gal). The Gal asks the two guys what their sure-bet move is for getting a girl hot. Loser-Guy shows her his full on body to body grind, making her a little nauseous in the process it appeared. The Player shows his move by giving her a big fat kiss. Loser-Guy is so incensed that he didn't think to kiss her himself that he starts blustering, "Don't you kiss her, Player-Guy, don't go there - oooh! That just isn't right... I don't kiss on the first date..."

Loser-Guy at this time is in desperation mode and looks like he is going to have a conniption fit if he doesn't get out on the dance floor soon, so he, the Player and the Gal move to the dance floor. Oh my... Loser-guy who has been talking up all of his dance moves and how he sends women into fits of lust when he dances, starts to dance for the Gal, and it is... an abonimation to man. He is flexing his muscles. He is doing the whole bump and grind thing against the Gal, but it looks like he is going to smother her. He moves in ways that make epileptic seizures look graceful... The Player and the Gal sit back and flat out laugh at Loser-Guy, but he is to busy 'working it' to notice. After they dance for a while, they go outside and it is time for the Gal to adios one last guy. She first tells the Player that she feels that talking to him is like pulling teeth, because she didn't feel that he had much to say other then the insults he threw at the other guys. She then turns to Loser-Guy and tells him that his dancing is an Abomination to Man. Loser-Guy is shocked! He always thought that he was the next Danny Terio. The Gal then goes on to say that dancing aside, she thought he was a sweetheart hiding underneith all of that trying-to-hard-to-be-hip, and she eliminated the Player... Loser-Guy wins. It was absoulutely disgusting... Daytime T.V is a travesty to Man. I feel like my IQ has gone down 50 points form watching that...

Saturday Fever
09-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Everytime I watch one of those shows I feel like pulling my hair out. They always pick the complete idiot. Or maybe the production makes him look like an idiot when actually he was a cool guy. Oh geezus, I just started discussing the show. I'm going away to live in a cave now.

chris mason
09-16-2002, 06:09 PM
Well, the vast majority of people on those shows are wanna-be actors, and are usually quite shallow. I must admit to watching those shows from time to time, they do have that car crash attraction.

Craig James
09-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Yesterday's Diet

1. 1 cup oatmeal 300cal, 54g carb, 10g pro, 5g fat

2. Teri Chicken 747cal, 5g carb, 51g pro, 15g fat

3. 1.5 cups of cottage cheese 300cal, 15g carb, 39g pro, 6g fat

4. 2 cans soda 300cal, 80g carb

5. 6 scrambled eggs 606cal, 8g carb, 40g pro, 45g fat

6. 1 can tuna 175cal, 0g carb, 40g pro, 1.5g fat

Totals:
Calories - 2428
Carbs - 162g
Protein - 180g
Fat - 72.5g

Any comments on how this breaks down? If I want to lean out a bit, what would be an ideal ratio carb/pro/fat as well as calorie count?

chris mason
09-17-2002, 03:19 PM
My comments are consistency. It's all about calories in vs. calories out in my opinion. I would try to eat roughly that many calories for 1 week straight, maintain a consistent exercise level, and then see how much weight I lost by the end of the week (if any). If I lost 1-2 lbs, then I would keep it there for another week and repeat. If I lost between 2-8 lbs I would still keep it there for one more week to see if any was water weight. You want to lose 1-2 lbs per week (generally considered the best pace). If you didn't lose any weight, then I would drop the calories by 200-300/day to and then go another week (same method to be used after weight loss goes below 1 lb /week). You don't need to eat exactly the same foods, just keep the calorie count as consistent as possible.

Craig James
09-18-2002, 09:17 PM
9-18-02 8:00pm

Weight: even 200lbs

Leg/Arm day
Looking to increase the leg strength a bit more today as well as kick start my damn biceps.

Squats
135 x 15
225 x 8
275 x 4 wow, too much weazing after these sets. I have got to get my cardiovascular system up to speed.

Cybex Leg Press
180 x 15
360 x 8 this was the first time I have leg pressed in eons, so I was experimenting with the weights. These were too light.

Cybex Military Press
50 x 15
90 x 12
160 x 7.5 this is the same machine I used last week, and I have come to the conclusion that it just plain sucks!!! The damn handles move around too much and distract me from pushing the weight up. It friggin' pissed me off today. I won't be using it again next week.

I went to do some curls, and my friggin' left forearm was hurting like crazy - like last week. I didn't like the hammers very much last week, so I tried a variety of different ways of curling, and finally found a machine that had supinating handles that didn't bother the damn forearm as much...

Cybex Curl Machine with Supinating Handles
50 x 10
90 x 8
130 x 2

Wiped out - time to rest...

Craig James
09-20-2002, 05:25 PM
9-20-02 4:20pm

Weight: 201lbs

Heavy Pull/ Light Push Day

My damn left forearm is still bothering me, and it was really effecting my pullups. So I elected to change them a little bit.

Parallel Grip Pull Ups
Bodyweight x 15
+30 x 6

1 Arm DB Rows
50 x 10
75 x 8
95 x 8 failure
80 x 8 I wanted to really concentrate on the contraction at the top on this set.

BB Shrugs
135 x 15
225 x 12
315 x 10 failure - it was getting difficult to get these to the top.

LifeFitness PecDeck
50 x 15
60 x 12

Cybex Chest Press
11 x 15
13 x 9 failed -

Hit the racquetball for 20 minutes.

As I re-evaluate this routine, I think that I may be doing too much for chest and back. I will continue with this routine until I stop progressing, then I will cut down to hitting one body part per week, instead of hitting my chest and back twice (and arms get it 3 times...)

Craig James
09-23-2002, 05:18 PM
9-23-02 4:15pm

Weight: 203.5lbs

Heavy Push/Light Pull Day

Everything is feeling really good after a weekend of rest.

DB Incline Press
50 x 12
75 x 10
95 x 4 - making a little progress here. Two weeks ago I only got the 90's for 3 reps.

Dips
Bodyweight x 10
+90 x 5 with 2 negatives.

Cybex Closegrip Pulldowns
110 x 15
190 x 12

I've decided that I will tone down the 'light' portion of my workouts by limiting them to just a couple of sets of one exercise.

chris mason
09-24-2002, 08:26 AM
That seems to work well for me Craig.

Craig James
09-24-2002, 04:11 PM
I did the yoga thing with my girlfriend last night. What I am finding is, no matter what bodypart I work out earlier in the day, that will be the bodypart that seems to get focused on in the yoga session.

Take last night for example. Earlier I had a very good chest workout, and my chest, tri's and shoulders were very fatigued. During yoga we did countless pushup style movements,downfacing dog (where you are bent at the waist supporting your weight on your hands and feet), and hand stands... Nothing like being the most muscular person in the room, and being the first one to wuss out of the poses.

I will just have to live with it and quit my bitching. And no, I really can't easily switch my workout routines and yoga days. Work and convience pretty much dictate Mon, Wed, Fri as gym days for me. I go to yoga only when my girlfriend goes, and it is either on Mon or Wed evening, depending on her schedule.

What is great about these sessions is that I have been stretching muscles that I haven't stretched since - well, maybe never. Hamstrings, groin, hips and glutes get some unbelievable stretches which I really need. There are a couple of poses I can't fold into correctly yet due to my left knee injury, but it is coming along. I am still astounded at how great I feel afterwards, and I actually get sore the next day.

By the way - beware the really fat gal doing yoga in the room with you. We were all laying on our backs with our legs up in the air, hands behind our heads, doing some abdominal crunches, and she let out this god-awful fart... At least, I think it was her. It might have been the little old lady next to her, but whoever it was, I about died on the spot from the effort of keeping my hysterical laughter bottled up... Good thing it didn't stink..

the doc
09-24-2002, 04:20 PM
lmao craig

yoga is ace! I need to get back into it but now is not the right time..

Craig James
09-27-2002, 07:04 PM
9-27-02 6pm

I missed my Wednesday workout due to slight illness.

Leg Day With a Little Shoulder

Squats
135 x 12
225 x 8
275 x 5 I am starting to get a little more cardiovascular conditioning going, so these aren't kicking my ass quite so bad as before.

Cybex Legpress
Since last week I wasn't sure of the weights to use, I ended up going way too light. I bumped up the weight today, but probably will need to go a bit higher next week.
450 x 8
630 x 6 Thought I might blow a gasket in my brain on this set. I could feel the blood pressure skyrocket! Nice and hard!

HammerStrength Military Press - Plate Loading
I was starting to feel crappy again - so much so, that I pretty much pussed out on this exercise.
50 x 15
140 x 12 This was the first time that I had used this machine, so I was feeling out the weight a bit, and will need to go up a bit next week.

My bowels were getting ready to explode(lucky they didn't on the legpress...), so it was time that I made a hasty exit from the gym.

I got home and started watching a little more of the Ryder Cup on TV, and after a half hour started making my way upstairs to post in this journal... I don't think I will be able to make it back up the stairs again this evening - my legs are that fried... Right on!

Craig James
10-01-2002, 02:27 PM
9-30-02 Heavy Pull/ Light Push

Weight 203.5lbs

Close Grip Pullups
Bodyweight x 15
+40 x 4 + 2 negatives

One Arm Dumbbell Rows
50 x 10
75 x 8
100 x 8 Tough. Left forearm was bugging the **** out of me.

Low Pulls
10 x 10
14 x 3.5

Barbell Shrugs
135 x 15
315 x 10
365 x 5 (poor range of motion on this set)

Cybex Chest Press
12 x 12

Craig James
10-02-2002, 06:34 PM
10-2-02 5:20pm

Weight: 204lbs - steadily going up. My hope is that I stay in this ballpark weight-wise, turning some of this fat into muscle.

Heavy Push Day

Felt out of sorts for the most part today - not sure why. I worked for a bit this morning, and felt compelled to go home and nap this afternoon. I really didn't feel up to anything today. I awoke from my nap and felt mucho bettero (a little spanish lingo there.;)). So off to the gym I went.

Incline DB Presses
50 x 15
75 x 8 damn - I felt really shaky on this set. I was concerned that I might not be able to move any serious weight...
95 x 6 well, I guess I needn't have worried. I'm still progressing nicely on these.

Dips
+100 x 5.5 plus 2 negatives. I really wanted 6 reps, and I was oh so close...
BW x 15

Closegrip Pulldowns
170 x 15 just a nice easy set to get the blood flowing.

Misc Notes:
After my back and trap workout on Monday, I had the sorest friggin' traps I have had in eons... Damn things bugged me all day yesterday, but thankfully, they feel almost normal again today...

I am starting to see some growth in my legs - though my left one is still lagging quite a bit. It is such a great feeling to have that sense of 'power' back in my lower body.

For a little while now I have been battling a sharp pain in my left forearm. I feel it most keenly when I supinate my hand, and it feels like I have a pulled muscle. After doing my heavy set of DB inclines today, I think that getting the dumbbells up into position may be how I injured my forearm in the first place, because I really felt it twinge earlier when doing that. I may have to revert to some machine work for a couple of weeks to see if that helps the injury heal.

Neil
10-03-2002, 01:20 AM
Do you weigh yourself first thing in the morning?

chris mason
10-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Or Craig, you could be just like me a keep doing the same thing:( . Yoy may want to try icing it directly after your workout and every night before you go to bed. It seems to help me.

Craig James
10-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Neil, I weigh myself at the gym each time I get ready to do my workout. So, it is usually at about the same time each day(afternoon), but I don't strip down to my skivvies. It may not be the most consistent measurement, but it gives me a ballpark week to week.

Chris, the forearm pain is really pissing me off! It totally interfers with my back workout, and I can pretty much forget about working my wussboy bi's for a while... I can't even flex my left bicep without it aching... I think I will try some ice, and work on not aggravating it for a while...

chris mason
10-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Mine has been bugging me as well, for quite some time. It is right in the crook of the elbow. It runs from the outer/top of the forearm to the outer/base of the biceps. It was quite bad for a while, but between the ice, aspirin on my heavy days, and some rest due to work and a cold, it seems to be improving. The ice and aspirin allowed me to train through it.

Craig James
10-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Looks like I missed a couple of posts, dammit.

10-9-02

Weight: 201 lbs

Heavy Push Nothing Else Day

Ok, to combat this stupid forearm injury, I am going to try and avoid anything that I think has been contributing to it for a while. One of the things that I think was aggravating it the worst was getting the dumbbells up into position for my heavy incline DB press, so I will get away from that motion for a while. So, not having done them in years, I present:

Bench Press

I absolutely had no idea what kind of weight I was going to do, and not having a training partner with me, I was going to have to relie upon the generosity of the idiots that workout around me at the gym.
135 x 15
185 x 8
225 x 7
I got a spot from this guy on this set. I tell him, "I'm not sure what I can do on these because I haven't done them in years." He goes, "Ok. So how many do you think you are gonna do?" I just glare at him for a second and say, "I. Don't. Know." 225 for 7 reps doesn't seem too bad. If I recall back to the days when I was moving around some weight, when I could move 225 for 12 reps I was able to get 315 for some reps as well.

Weighted Dips

felt good and strong for these.
+105 x 5.5
man, I just could not lock out that 6th rep...
+50 x 10

I was really pissed off at myself when I got to the gym because I didn't pass my Real Estate exam earlier. I missed it by 1 freakin' question! I was still pissed off after doing dips, so I went into one of the racquetball courts and beat the **** out of the ball for a half hour...

Lets see, I started reading a couple of new books:
Urban Legends by N.E. Genge - I find the whole urban legend phenomenon interesting, and this book has some good information such as where some of these legends originate. I have read a bunch of urban legends that I haven't heard before.

The other book I started yesterday is Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism by Sean Hannity. I started listening to him on the radio a couple of months ago, like him, and picked his book up. So far so good.

MonStar
10-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Weighted Dips

+105 x 5.5

Nice dipping strength CJ!! :thumbup::thumbup: I didnt expect to see this kind of weight around your waist. Awesome job man, seriously.

chris mason
10-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Let's make a note here. Craig will probably be doing 225 for 10 pretty quick. He is dipping with his bodyweight of roughly 200 lbs +105 lbs. That is a 305 lb dip. I know Craig, I know what he lifts and that he is completely honest. So, use his lift as a good judge for claims by others. Craig uses solid form (dips until his arms are parallel), moves under control and at a good pace.

Food for thought, not directed at anyone in particular.

MonStar
10-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Yeah good post chris. I never think that you or Craig are BSing anything. I mean anything at all. I think that its great that we have a BS detector here lol---prevents a lot of guys from boasting #s that are obviously bullsh*t. Craig can bench around 225 for 7, and +105 for 5. I can bench around 265-270 I would say for 6-7 reps, but its completely unbelievable that I can dip +180 for a single. Anyways, good job on the dips Craig.

Craig James
10-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks, both of you guys. Let me just say that it is nice to have some numbers to chase - I'm a very competitive person, and I like to compete in just about anything. Having other strong fellas on this site spurs me on to higher gains...

MonStar
10-10-2002, 08:49 PM
Same here CJ!! I get absolutely no competition from guys at the gym. I mean a few guys are decent sized but none of them are strong at all---not even a little bit to be completely honest. So when I get on here guys like chris mason, Belial, and a few others whos strength is really remarkable, I feel like I still have some work to do.

Craig James
10-12-2002, 01:31 AM
10-11-02 Leg Day

Weight: 202lbs

I got up this morning not feeling the best, but by the time the afternoon came around, I was feeling well enough to go have a shot at some heavy leg work.

Squats
135 x 12
225 x 8
285 x 4 failure on the 4th rep, and my damn left knee was bugging me a little.

Cybex Legpress
6 plates/side(540) x 8
8 plates/side(720) x 5 the last rep was to failure. This set was a total killer.

I actually had every intention of doing some other sets, but I was so nauseous from the leg workout that I had to just go home and sit for a while...

chris mason
10-12-2002, 07:35 AM
Take it slow Craig! Just make sure to use very good form on the squats, very slow, and stop short of failure until your leg strength gets more evened out. I think that as you approach failure you will tend to more heavily favor your strong side, potentially leaving yourself open to injury. I would stop a couple of reps short of failure for now. Maybe perform a 2nd set to make up for it.

Craig James
10-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your input, Chris. After thinking about it, I think that you are right in regards to the squats. Though I have been maintaining a very strict form, I think that I may be overcompensating with my right leg, and I could see the possibility of a potential injury if I keep pushing to go heavier and heavier on these. So, I will lower the weight for a while and work on some higher reps. As far as the leg presses go, I don't feel the knee twinge on these, and I will continue to push these heavy. By the way, when I squat, I have a pretty wide stance, and when I leg press, I have my feet very close together.

On a misc. rambling front, I have a bad cell phone number. Let me explain what I mean by bad. I have had this number for a couple of years now, and I had no problems what so ever for the first 6 months. Afterwards, about every 2 to 3 months I would have a day where I would get about a dozen phone calls from strange people. A typical exchange when I would answer their call would be like this:

Me: Hello?
Them: Hello? Who is this and why do you keep calling my house???
Me: Well, my name is Craig, and I haven't called anyone today. Perhaps you called the wrong number?
Them: Your number was on my caller ID when I got home. Why do you keep calling and not leaving any messages on my answering machine?
Me: I'm sorry, but I haven't called anyone today. What number is on your caller ID.

The person would then give me a phone number: 123-456-7890.
The problem I found was that my number was: XXX-123-4567, so that when they dialed the full 10 digit number on their caller ID box without dialing 1 first, they would call my phone instead of the person who had actually called them.

Once I figured out this problem, I thought it was just a flook that I got some calls from people, and that it would go away. Wrong. About every 2 to 3 months I would have a day where I would have a bunch of these type of phone calls. I investigated the phone number that was actually calling these people, and found that it was a number that you could not actually get through to. Great. I now think that there was a programming error when someone punched in the phone number that is to be displayed on the caller ID for that other number.

So, why didn't I change my phone number? Well, for one, the frequency of the calls was such that it just didn't seem that big a deal. Plus, I have one phone number that I use, and to change it would be a big hassle.

The past few months, the phone mishaps have pretty much ended, but I did have a funny call yesterday.

I forgot that I had left my phone on vibrate, and I had set it down in another part of the house. A few hours later, I was walking by it and noticed that I had a voice mail. When I looked at my phone more closely, it showed that I had missed 10 calls. Now, I don't usually get 10 calls over the course of a week, so to miss 10 in the matter of a few hours seemed pretty strange. I looked at the various numbers that I had missed, and they turned out to all be from one strange number.

At first, I started to wonder if someone I knew was in trouble and trying to reach me from a strange phone. I checked the voice mail quickly. After punching in my access code, I waited breathlessly for the message. It was a little old lady.

"Hello? I'm calling for Jerry *****. Is he there? I was given this number to call him. Hello, Jerry? I don't know who this Craig person is, but I'm looking for Jerry."

Well, I don't know who this Jerry person is. There was a second message from her.

"Hello, Jerry? Who is this Craig person? I'm trying to reach Jerry because this is the number he gave me. I am so confused. Please call me and tell me how to reach Jerry."

Oh boy. I dialed her number to tell her she had the wrong number.

Little Old Lady: Hello?
Me: Hi, this is Craig. You have been calling my phone looking for Jerry?
L.O.L.: Yes, thank you for calling me. Where is Jerry?
Me: Well, that is the thing. I think that someone gave you the wrong number, because there isn't a Jerry here.
L.O.L.: Jerry isn't there? Well, where is he?
Me: No, no, no. There isn't a Jerry at this number. I think that Jerry gave you a wrong number to call.
L.O.L.: But this is the number that Jerry gave me - where is he???
Me: Look, what number are you trying to reach him at?
L.O.L.: 123-456-7890. I dialed your number just like he gave to me, so where is he?
Me: Ok, the problem is that that number is not the phone that you are calling. Is Jerry in Phoenix?
L.O.L.: You know that he isn't in Phoenix! He is in New Hampshire!
Me: Well, then there is the problem. You didn't dial '1' first, and when you dialed that number it called me here in Phoenix.
L.O.L.: I am so confused. I just want to talk to Jerry!
Me: Look, after we hang up, just dial '1' first then the rest of the number and you should be able to get through to Jerry.
L.O.L.: But I have dialed the number.
Me: But you have to dial 1 first!
L.O.L.: Well, alright, I will try that. But could you just leave a mesage to have Jerry call me?
Me: Bye! - *click*

Poor lady was definately on the senile side...

Franco
10-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Lol, Poor lady

chris mason
10-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Poor lady! Hey Craig, I think you may have misunderstood a tad. I think you can still train the squats heavy if you maintain good form, just stop a couple or reps short of failure. It is those last couple of reps where form starts to deteriorate in order to complete the reps. I would use a weight that you could maybe get for 7 reps, or so, and stop at 5 (for instance). Nothing wrong with higher reps, I just wanted to be clear.

Craig James
10-17-2002, 11:26 PM
10-17-02 10:15pm

Weight: 204.5lbs

Due to being sick the past few days, I bring you not one but two workouts-

Chest and Back!!!

I wasn't sure how well I was going to be pushing the weights, but I did feel better today, so I thought I would go ahead and go heavy.

Bench Press 135 x 18
275 x 1.5 the weight felt alright, and the first rep went up pretty good. I just got stuck a touch on the second rep and needed a small bit of assistance.
225 x 7 these actually felt a lot better than last workout. I was only able to do 7 reps again, but this time it was after being sick and after doing a heavy set before hand.

Dips +115 x 3 Bah! I got really agressive on the weight, and just wasn't feeling very strong with it...
+55 x 10

Close Grip Chins +40 x 7 This is why I like to work my back on a seperate day, because I was already feeling my strength running out of me...
BW x 8

One Arm DB Rows 80 x 8 After this set, I was spent.

Crap, I really hoped to finish my back workout, but I was gassing so much that I just didn't think it was worth while to even bother any further. All in all, though, for being sick the past couple of days, I felt that my strength and progress was ok.

I got another call from my old lady who was looking for Jerry. She called a couple of nights ago. She was asking for Jerry again, and I had to tell her that she had the wrong number again. I basically had to go through the whole explanation again that she had to dial '1' to reach Jerry... Poor gal. Technology is just too difficult for some of the older folks out there...

MonStar
10-18-2002, 06:14 AM
Chest and Back!!!

Bench Press 135 x 18
275 x 1.5 the weight felt alright, and the first rep went up pretty good. I just got stuck a touch on the second rep and needed a small bit of assistance.
225 x 7 these actually felt a lot better than last workout. I was only able to do 7 reps again, but this time it was after being sick and after doing a heavy set before hand.

Nice strength here CJ!! 275 x 1.5 is awesome man---good work! 225 x 7 is great too man. Your strength is very very close to mine actually.

Dips +115 x 3 Bah! I got really agressive on the weight, and just wasn't feeling very strong with it...
+55 x 10

Good job here too on the dips man, insane strength. +115 for a triple is friggin' awesome.

Close Grip Chins +40 x 7 This is why I like to work my back on a seperate day, because I was already feeling my strength running out of me...
BW x 8

Hey man how are you doing your chins? I just started doing BTN chins and theyre friggin' hard as hell, damn.

Craig James
10-19-2002, 12:54 AM
MonStar, I have been battleing this stupid friggin' left forearm injury that flares up on a lot of movements that involve my biceps. About the only movement that feels ok is a palms facing each other position when I do any sort of back work. So, when I do my chins, I am doing them on a chinning bar that has two facing handles about 6 inches apart - hence the "close grip chins". The forearm is starting to feel better, so perhaps in a couple of weeks I will go back to more traditional chins(actually pullups) and I can start curling again.

By the way, I just got done watching the movie Frailty, and it was awesome! I knew nothing about the movie, and what little I did know actually made me not want to see it. My buddy rented it last weekend, and he told me just get it and watch it. He was so right. A very cool show...

Miss Rezza
10-19-2002, 07:40 PM
LMAO at the convo with the old duck!

.... So where the **** is Jerry???

;)

MonStar
10-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Frailty was a great movie CJ, damn. Part was nuts when he traps the kid down in that cellar that he build. Some crazy a*s sh*t.

Good luck with your forearm injury man, that could affect a lot of movements.

Craig James
10-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Thanks, MonStar. The forearm is starting to feel much better.

10-21-02 Leg Day

Weight: 204lbs

Felt pretty damn good after the weekend, so I was ready to hit the legs hard in this workout.

Squats
135 x 15
225 x 8
275 x 6
I elected to lighten the weight up a little bit over last workout, and really concentrate on good solid reps. I ended up stopping about 1 rep shy of failure on the last set, and felt no knee pain or other discomfort.

Cybex Leg Press
720(8 plates per side) x 6
360(4 plates per side) x 18
These leg presses just kick the crap out of me. I elected to do my heavy set first and felt good knocking 6 reps out. Then I thought that I should do a set with some higher reps - somewhere in the 20 region. So I halved the weight, and about killed myself grunting out 18 reps. I think I get a good workout from just loading and unloading all of the plates... This younger guy, probably around 18-19, was doing calve raises next to me when I got done with my heavy set of leg presses. He asked me how much weight I had just used. I told him, and he was just like "Holy crap!" I kinda laughed and said that I was really just trying to get my legs back into shape and showed him the surgery scars on my left knee and my puny left quad. Maybe my legs aren't in such a bad shape after all.

At this point, I am supposed to do arms... DB Incline Curls
30 x 8
I have come to the conclusion that I just cannot lift anything after working my legs. I tried 1 set of curls, and I just had no juice left in me.

I am thinking about going to a 4 day a week split:
Monday: Arms/Shoulders
Tuesday: Legs
Wed: Rest
Thursday: Back
Friday: Chest
Weekend: Rest

So, while I was struggling with the loading and unloading of my leg press machine, I saw this fella who was probably around 45-50 years old loading up his bench press. He put on 325, and then he knocked out 2 reps with it. Not bad, I said to myself. The guy didn't look small, but he wasn't huge and muscular either. Just pretty solid - lets say 6' 210lbs. So then he loads up 365 and does a single. Then he puts on 320 and does 2 reps. Then he puts on 325 again and does a single... He could move some weight, but it was a strange set and rep scheme he was working...

chris mason
10-22-2002, 12:19 PM
That is weird Craig, the older guy I mean.

Good job on the squats, glad to hear the knee didn't tweak.

Craig James
10-23-2002, 09:38 PM
10-23-02 Chest Day

Legs are still a little bit sore from Mondays workout, but nothing too terrible. Yesterday I had aspirations of playing flag football with my little brother, but those were quickly dashed. I realized that I could barely walk fast, let alone run, and that was a day after that leg workout.

All in all, I felt pretty good going into the gym.

Bench Press
135 x 15
225 x 7 failure
255 x 2 failure
Allright, this just plain sucked ass. I was weaker today then I was last week, and I hate going backwards. So, I have to figure out if it was just a momentary bad workout or if there is something else going on here.

Dips
+115 x 2 plus 2 negatives
+60 x 10
The strength was definately down as I went backwards here as well.

So here is what I am thinking: I have been going to failure on every workout, so I suppose it is conceivable that my cns may be a bit fried and may need a little more time to recuperate. The other thing that may be happening is that I have not trained my shoulders seperately in a while, and I suppose they could be the weak link right now - they certainly feel like it. So what I think I will do is go to an every other workout to failure routine. Week 1 will lbe ow reps to failure, and then Week 2 will be lighter weight for 10 - 15 reps, short of failure. I will try this on my chest workout, but leave my other bodypart routines the same to see what happens with them. I will also be sure to start hitting my shoulders and arms each week.

MonStar
10-24-2002, 03:46 AM
I friggin' HATE getting weaker jeez. Then you have to sit and think and think and think---should I change my routine or did I just have a bad day?

So here is what I am thinking: I have been going to failure on every workout, so I suppose it is conceivable that my cns may be a bit fried and may need a little more time to recuperate. The other thing that may be happening is that I have not trained my shoulders seperately in a while, and I suppose they could be the weak link right now - they certainly feel like it. So what I think I will do is go to an every other workout to failure routine. Week 1 will lbe ow reps to failure, and then Week 2 will be lighter weight for 10 - 15 reps, short of failure. I will try this on my chest workout, but leave my other bodypart routines the same to see what happens with them. I will also be sure to start hitting my shoulders and arms each week.

I agree that it maybe due to excess CNS stimulation. Good luck having a better chest day next week.

Craig James
12-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Ok, so it has been a short while *cough/67days/cough* since I made my last entry, but I won't let that hold me up. I've surely had longer lapses...

12-30-2002 Monday evening 7:40pm

Chest and leg day today.

Chest:
Hammer Strength iso-decline machine (I missed this machine, it is so very nice. So I decided to reintroduce myself to her... We have a date next week, as a matter of fact)
1 plate per side x 20 reps
4 plates per side x 8 reps --- f-f-failure
3 plates per side x 10 reps --- failure
2 plates per side x 14 reps --- failure

Ahhh, the jellification that is my chest right now...

On to legs which, I am sad to admit, I have been a slacker on...

Last week Mr. Respect, I mean, Chris(;) ) showed me how to do deads, since I have never done them before. I really liked them, and my hams and ass were sore as sh*t for a couple of days afterward, so I thought I would integrate them into my routine.

Deads
135 x 12
225 x 8

Ok, a couple of things here. First, I am a friggin' wussboy when it comes to these. My legs were alright, but the fact that I haven't been training them hard lately like I should has killed my endurance, so I was basically getting ready to hurl at the feet of the little old lady who was doing 5lb dumbbell military presses way too close behind me. How freakin' weak ass is that? The other thing is that my grip is going to need some chalk, as I felt like I was going to tear my freakin' calluses off(with wuss weight - I know, its pathetic. But I will get better). And the last thing is that I really felt that set in my lower back, which I believe to be my weak spot right now. And yes, Chris, I did concentrate on pushing up with my legs before pulling back into a standing postion, thank you though, anyway:D .

Legpress
5 plates per side x 14

Blah. I was seeing stars at this point, so I went upstairs and got on a lifecycle for 15 minutes to cool myself down and clear my head so that I would be able to drive.

By the way, some good books that I have been reading of late:
Along Came a Spider by James Patterson - a very good homicide thriller. I am currently reading Cat and Mouse by him as well.
Prey by Michael Crichton - just finished this in about a day's time. I love Crichton's work, though some of it now is getting a little bit formulaic. Prey reminded me a bit of the Andromeda Strain mixed with Jurassic Park, but it was a very good read none the less.
The Life of Reilly by Rick Reilly - I dug this one up out of my storage unit, and had forgotten how good it was. It is a compilation of some of the best columns that Rick Reilly has done for Sports Illustrated. Some of them are very touching...
Oh, and I was sick with the flu one day a couple of weeks ago and read some book that day written by some guy named J.R.R Tolkien. Anyone ever heard of this guy? It was the second book in a series about some ring and some little midget dude that was trying to throw it into some hole somewhere. I was running a high grade fever that day, but what parts of the book that are still left in my head seemed to be pretty cool...

Craig James
01-02-2003, 07:03 PM
01-02-03

Trained at a different LA Fitness this morning, a brand new one that was just a little further away. They had some cool new equipment, including a T-bar row!

Back Day

T-Bar Rows on Life-Fitness machine (plate loading)
25lbs x 15
50lbs x 12
95 lbs x 12
140lbs x 10
Cool, I like the machine, I love the plates with large handles on them, and I thought I had a decent set.

Bodyweight Chins x 8

Nautilus Lat Pulldowns
100 x 15
150 x 10
This was another cool machine. It has these handles on it that free-float, so to speak. Your hands find their own natural position as you pull down on the handles.

I then did 15 minutes of cardio.

chris mason
01-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Ok, so it has been a short while *cough/67days/cough* since I made my last entry, but I won't let that hold me up. I've surely had longer lapses...

12-30-2002 Monday evening 7:40pm

Chest and leg day today.

Chest:
Hammer Strength iso-decline machine (I missed this machine, it is so very nice. So I decided to reintroduce myself to her... We have a date next week, as a matter of fact)
4 plates per side x 8 reps --- f-f-failure
3 plates per side x 10 reps --- failure
2 plates per side x 14 reps --- failure

Ahhh, the jellification that is my chest right now...

On to legs which, I am sad to admit, I have been a slacker on...

Last week Mr. Respect, I mean, Chris(;) ) showed me how to do deads, since I have never done them before. I really liked them, and my hams and ass were sore as sh*t for a couple of days afterward, so I thought I would integrate them into my routine.

Deads
135 x 12
225 x 8

Ok, a couple of things here. First, I am a friggin' wussboy when it comes to these. My legs were alright, but the fact that I haven't been training them hard lately like I should has killed my endurance, so I was basically getting ready to hurl at the feet of the little old lady who was doing 5lb dumbbell military presses way too close behind me. How freakin' weak ass is that? The other thing is that my grip is going to need some chalk, as I felt like I was going to tear my freakin' calluses off(with wuss weight - I know, its pathetic. But I will get better). And the last thing is that I really felt that set in my lower back, which I believe to be my weak spot right now. And yes, Chris, I did concentrate on pushing up with my legs before pulling back into a standing postion, thank you though, anyway:D .

Legpress
5 plates per side x 14

Blah. I was seeing stars at this point, so I went upstairs and got on a lifecycle for 15 minutes to cool myself down and clear my head so that I would be able to drive.

By the way, some good books that I have been reading of late:
Along Came a Spider by James Patterson - a very good homicide thriller. I am currently reading Cat and Mouse by him as well.
Prey by Michael Crichton - just finished this in about a day's time. I love Crichton's work, though some of it now is getting a little bit formulaic. Prey reminded me a bit of the Andromeda Strain mixed with Jurassic Park, but it was a very good read none the less.
The Life of Reilly by Rick Reilly - I dug this one up out of my storage unit, and had forgotten how good it was. It is a compilation of some of the best columns that Rick Reilly has done for Sports Illustrated. Some of them are very touching...
Oh, and I was sick with the flu one day a couple of weeks ago and read some book that day written by some guy named J.R.R Tolkien. Anyone ever heard of this guy? It was the second book in a series about some ring and some little midget dude that was trying to throw it into some hole somewhere. I was running a high grade fever that day, but what parts of the book that are still left in my head seemed to be pretty cool...

Wussboy!

Craig James
01-14-2003, 02:29 PM
1-14-2003

Bah, due to moving in with my girlfriend, I have no current internet access and have not been able to post current journal entries. Last week I had one all typed in and went to post it - but the site was down! For the whole day of that week that I had internet access! Sucked...

Anyway, I have been getting into the gym on a regular basis. My leg workouts have been focusing on deadlifts. My back routine I have based on the new T-bar row that my new gym sports - it kicks ass! And for my chest routine, I have gone back to doing the Hammer Strength Iso-Decline.

I have upped my reps to a degree, focusing on 8-12 for the most part. I have also started hitting the cardio machines for 30 minutes a day to help rid myself of some of these excess pounds around the middle.

Today's routine was Chest:

Iso-Decline Machine-
Four 45 plates and one 25 per side x 4 reps
3 plates x 15 reps
2 plates x 15 reps, paused then did 5 more reps

Aaaand - that was all for chest. After that series of sets, I just don't see the need right now for doing anything more for my chest. The 4 plates and 25's per side was a new high, if I am not mistaken...

Anyhow, I will update as internet access permits...

chris mason
01-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Good job dude! Get that internet access at the house!

Craig James
01-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Tuesday 1-21-03

Kind of a crappy workout today. I've been battling some sinus crap, and haven't been feeling 100% physically, but I wanted to get in a quick back and leg workout in.

T-Bar row:
50lbs x 12
140lbs x 10
185lbs x 5

Leg Press:
3 plates per side x 20
6 plates per side x 10
6 plates per side x 7

I felt so crappy I couldn't even get in any cardio...

Oh well, I will make up for it next time.

chris mason
01-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Feeling better now?

Craig James
01-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Bah, has it been a week since my last workout??? Damn!

And, no, the sinuses are still f'ed up.