PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pills

stantheman
01-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Sleeping pills induce an unnatural sleep and I was wondering if this altertered state of rest could possibly effect recovery. I have been sore as hell lately.

Paul Stagg
01-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Unnatural sleep?

stantheman
01-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Taking sleeping pills is different than falling asleep on your own. It is medication taken to induce sleep. Is it an different? Hope that clears it up a bit.

BUFF STUFF
01-09-2003, 11:12 AM
I think its definatatly better than no sleep atall IMO,

But nothings better that good ol natuaral sleep

Berserker
01-09-2003, 11:44 AM
I've wondered the same thing about Nyquil. I love the stuff. decided its better to get a good sleep. This is m uniformed opinion.

AstronautJones
01-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I just thought sleep was sleep, regardless of how you get there. :confused:

stantheman
01-09-2003, 02:07 PM
People often talk about different levels of sleep. Maybe sleeping pills effect that level.

restless
01-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Of course they do. Non REM sleep is almost as good as no sleep. If someone awakes you every time you go into REM sleep, you'll start developing serious sleep deprivation symptoms even if you're getting 8 hours sleep. Alcohol and sleeping pills (benzodiazepines and barbiturics) will screw your REM sleep.

WillKuenzel
01-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Melatonin can help instead of sleeping pills. Its the chemical released that normally puts you to sleep. I work at night, so I have to have something that helps me sleep during the day. I shy away from the other stuff but melatonin seems to really help and I feel pretty rested. Plus I don't wake up feeling like I've been drugged.

restless
01-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Melatonin does work, but growing dependent on it might not be the best of ideias. 5-HTP with 2 mg of it (melatonin) and a high dose magnesium supplement gave me some seriously weird dreams this last night. I'm planning on rotating it with kava kava and valerian root, in case these two do work.

Delphi
01-10-2003, 06:01 AM
IMO it would be best to not take anything, whether it's herbal or prescription. Any sleep aid will cause dependency sooner or later. Just wait until you run out, and see for yourself.

restless
01-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Yes it would, but in my case it's not really that I have dificulty in falling asleep, it's more the quality of the sleep. I wake up at least four times a night, and besides 5-htp melatonin and magnesium nothing seems to help. With these the quality improves a lot, I have a lot more dream recal and only wake up once or twice. I probably should go to an endocrinologist to have my serotonine levels checked up, as I'm quite convinced that all the past drug abuse might be related to my present problems. 5-HTP especially was a huge surprise, when I took it during the day I felt like I hadn't felt in years. Great stuff.