PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Gurus / Experts...

_8_Ball
01-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Ok... I have a few questions that I would like clarafied...

#1. Is it true that when doing intense cardio, your mucles run out of glycongen and start catabolising themselfves in order to produce the engery they need to keep going. By drinking or eating high glycimic carbs (like gatorade ) it will inject your body with "added" energy so that your muscles don't run out of energy. Was the previous statement true?

#2. Is the following statement true, A high Glycimic sugar will give you a quick "sugar rush or sugar high" and low glycimic sugars will slowly desolve in your body?

#2.5 - Is this also true, if you take High Glycimic sugars it will cause your body to release alot of insulin, and your body's motabolisim slow because it is trying to "burn" or get rid of the execess insulin, and when your body DOES release alote of insulin your body also goes into "fat storage mode" ? Is this correct?

#3. Then why is "Insulin sinsetivaty (sp?)" a good thing?

#4. Senario: I goto subway and eat a 12" that has over 75g of carbs in it, now because bread is a HG substance it will cause my body to release high amounts of insulin, since my body will NOT be able to process all the insuline my body will now store parts of the carbs as "fat" (to be used at a later time... (according to the body)). And since there was such a large amount of insulin released, my motabolism will slow to a crawl... until my body gets over the insulin spike... ( about 3-4 hours.. ) Was all this correct?

So if you guys to tell me if my assumptions are correct... it would really help me out! :-)

Thanks,

YatesNightBlade
01-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Insulin !!!

YatesNightBlade
01-09-2003, 08:44 AM
I'll answer some of these soon. Thats if someone doesn't beat me. Little busy at the mo. :)

_8_Ball
01-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Fixed the "insuline" to insuline just for you Yates... :-)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by _8_Ball
[B]#1. Is it true that when doing intense cardio, your mucles run out of glycongen and start catabolising themselfves in order to produce the engery they need to keep going. By drinking or eating high glycimic carbs (like gatorade ) it will inject your body with "added" energy so that your muscles don't run out of energy. Was the previous statement true?

Firstly, it depends how glycogen saturated your muscle cells are at the time and how long your cardio is. If they're full (or close to full), thena ten minute run isn't gonna totally drain your glycogen stores.

If you drink the gatorade near to, or during the exercise, it will be used as a more immediate source of energy and your glycogen stores will be spared somewhat. Still some gonna be used though i imagine.

#2. Is the following statement true, A high Glycimic sugar will give you a quick "sugar rush or sugar high" and low glycimic sugars will slowly desolve in your body?

If taken on their own, yeah. More or less. But some low GI carbs can still be digeste quite quickly and not really keep your blood sugar that stable (lactose for example, is a disaccharide, and breaks down quickly quickly in the digestive process, but the fat and casein in milk [from which lactose comes from], tend to level this up a bit).

#2.5 - Is this also true, if you take High Glycimic sugars it will cause your body to release alot of insulin, and your body's motabolisim slow because it is trying to "burn" or get rid of the execess insulin, and when your body DOES release alote of insulin your body also goes into "fat storage mode" ? Is this correct?

High GI sugars will cause a rise in blood sugar quicker than usual so will generally illicit a quicker insulin response. To get rid of insulin the body just releases the opposing hormone glucagon and the whole process goes back and forth in a big stupid loop cause too much of each is always released (some figure-8 stuff).
It desn't actually take thatm much for insulin to stop lipolysis (fat burning), but overall, it's the total calories for the day that will decide whether or how much fat you store.

#3. Then why is "Insulin sinsetivaty (sp?)" a good thing?

Big answer for this, no time to write it all. It can be good and it can be bad depending on your current goals.

Good because insulin is anabolic and gets nutrients into the muscle aiding growth. Bad because it means insulin can do it job of shutting off lipolysis easily. Being slightly insulin resistant (IR) can be good when you're dieting cause it means insulin can't get into the cell to do it's job of shutting of lipolysis.

So bulking, IS is good.

Cutting, IR is good. Or at elast some degree of IR.

#4. Senario: I goto subway and eat a 12" that has over 75g of carbs in it, now because bread is a HG substance it will cause my body to release high amounts of insulin, since my body will NOT be able to process all the insuline my body will now store parts of the carbs as "fat" (to be used at a later time... (according to the body)). And since there was such a large amount of insulin released, my motabolism will slow to a crawl... until my body gets over the insulin spike... ( about 3-4 hours.. ) Was all this correct?

The bread may be wel sugary so you'd think it'd release insulin well quick, but this is when it is alone. With the filling or fat and protein or whatever, the digestion is slowed the insulin response is slowed and so it's not so bad.
Only about 23% of carbs overeaten are stored as fat and this is apparently a rare scenario, so just worry about the overall calorie intake, but keep your carb intake regulated if you have insulin issues.

_8_Ball
01-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Chicken Daddy... Thanks alot man... I'm happy I din't an answer like "YES" / "NO" / "EAT MORE" :-) heheh.. so when trying to do a slow cut... ( like 1 lbs a week ) what % of my diet should be carbs... I'm 5'7" and 165 would like to cut down about 10 more lbs but don't want to sacrifice any muscle in the process... I'm always afraid that eating to many carbs COMBINED with excess calories will increase my BF% ( wich is already high).

I know that excess cals will ALWAYS result in fat gaining, but I though that carbs turned into fat very quickly, so I was afraid to eat to many carbs... :-) just like all those ATKINS freaks... :)

Thanks again!

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Well, overeating fat has more chance of being stored as fat than carbs (like 98% or so).

But anyhoo, providing you got a good amount of protein and sufficient EFAs, just make the rest of the calories up with carbs.

Some people like a 40c/30p/30f or an isocaloric (a third of each macro), but for the most part, the breakdowns aren't all that important providing you have a moderate calorie deficit and the protein and fat is in place. As you get leaner, reducing carbs further so you almost get into 'low-carb' territory may be a good idea when insulin becomes more of a pest with regards to stubborn bodyfat.

If you do move to a low-carb diet after a good few weeks with carbs in the diet, it's also a good idea to introduce periodical carb loads to ensure proper thyroid hormone synthesis. Some sort of refeeding once a week or so may also be a good idea even when on a carb-based diet, but if your bodyfat is as high as you seem to make it out to be, there's no real need to focus on those quite yet. Maybe around the 15% and lower region.