PDA

View Full Version : Best way to shed some weight/fat?

JohnnyBlade
01-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Now that I have a steady routine of weightlifting, my next goal is to shed the body fat I'm currently lugging around (mainly my belly ;)). I'm 6'2", and I weighed myself about a week ago and I had dropped down to 245lbs (I used to be over 250).

When it comes to nutrition, I have a general idea of what to stay away from (high calories & fat content), but as to how I should go about dropping the weight/fat, I'm not 100% sure what I should do.

I'm a full-time student, and I don't always have the time or the ability to count the calories of the food that I'm eating. If often have to eat on the fly, and when I do, I try and choose the best food possible. I'm trying my best to get out of my fat food habit...

Should I just eat somewhat normal (meats, pastas, rice, salads, etc...) and do some heavy cardio, or should I just drop the caloric intake heavily? I personally would be inclined to do some heavy cardio, because I know that if I drop my calories too low, I won't get the best performance out of my weightlifting.

So, please...any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

restless
01-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyBlade

Should I just eat somewhat normal (meats, pastas, rice, salads, etc...) and do some heavy cardio, or should I just drop the caloric intake heavily? I personally would be inclined to do some heavy cardio, because I know that if I drop my calories too low, I won't get the best performance out of my weightlifting.

So, please...any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion you shouldn't do either.

What I am doing is eatin sligthly below maintenance, restricting grains and other calorie dense higher GI foods to immediately pre and post workout and other than that have all my carbs from veggies and legumes (Beans, green peas, brocolli, spinach, some brussel sprouts, tomatoes, etc). I have to eat a ton of these to get a decent amount of carbs but I prefer this to a strict Keto diet. My macronutrient ratio is aroun the 30% pro,25% carb, 45% fat.

Counting calories is important, especially in the first few weeks or months untill you get the hang of it

AstronautJones
01-10-2003, 03:22 PM
In addition to a balanced diet and weight training regimen, you also might want to look into some type of thermogenic (i.e. Xenadrine, Ripped Fuel, etc), to help you further down the road, when you hit a plateau.

bradley
01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
I agree with restless in that you should try and at least get a basic idea of how many cals you are eating. You only have to do it for a short while as most people eat pretty much the same thing over the course of a few days. I definetely wouldn't drop calories drastically as this would cause losses in LBM (more than likely anyway). If you wanted you could do a some cardio on your off days or maybe 20-30 minutes after lifting. Remember that dietary fat is not necessarily bad and the main thing to remember about losing weight is to create a caloric deficit either through diet or exercise or a combination of the two. Might want to start with daily cals at 15*bw which should be close to maintenance calories and slowly decrease cals until you begin to lose weight.

JohnnyBlade
01-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by restless

In my opinion you shouldn't do either.

What I am doing is eatin sligthly below maintenance, restricting grains and other calorie dense higher GI foods to immediately pre and post workout and other than that have all my carbs from veggies and legumes (Beans, green peas, brocolli, spinach, some brussel sprouts, tomatoes, etc). I have to eat a ton of these to get a decent amount of carbs but I prefer this to a strict Keto diet. My macronutrient ratio is aroun the 30% pro,25% carb, 45% fat Counting calories is important, especially in the first few weeks or months untill you get the hang of it
Any chance you could translate that into English? :p

I'm not quite up to speed on the whole nutrition lingo thing yet...

bradley
01-11-2003, 01:28 PM

Any chance you could translate that into English? :p

I'm not quite up to speed on the whole nutrition lingo thing yet...

Basically what he is saying is that he eats high GI carbs (processed carbs, weight gainer shakes, etc) before and directly after training. The rest of his carbs come from veggies and beans. Note that he is not eating things like bread or cereals.

JohnnyBlade
01-12-2003, 09:18 PM
I have the GNC MRP shakes. Would those things be good to take before/after my workouts?

Also, does anyone know any good websites I could use for calorie counting?

Shao-LiN
01-13-2003, 01:03 AM
Sure.

fitday.com

JohnnyBlade
01-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Shao-LiN:

You're a godsend. That site is an absolute BLINDER! I've been looking for something like that for a while now. This will definitely help me shed the BF for SURE!

Also, now that I think of it...what level of calories is too low? Just so I know what sort of limits I should be lopoking at (again...I'm 6'2", approx. 245lbs (haven't weighed myself in the past week or so))

bradley
01-13-2003, 10:35 AM
[b]Also, now that I think of it...what level of calories is too low? Just so I know what sort of limits I should be lopoking at (again...I'm 6'2", approx. 245lbs (haven't weighed myself in the past week or so))

here are some general guidelines

18-20 cals*bw--bulking
15 cals*bw--maintenance
12cals*bw--cutting

JohnnyBlade
01-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Wicked...thanks Bradley!

This BBS is a great source of info...
:)

JohnnyBlade
01-15-2003, 11:39 AM
I have one more question.

Right now, 12*BW = 2940 Cal.

If I find that I'm well below this level nearing the end of the day, should I make sure to eat enough food to get me to that level (or eat certain types of food that will get me there), or should I just leave it be?

For instance, the other day I finished off at about 2300 Calories, which is about 600 below the 12*BW level.

bradley
01-15-2003, 04:14 PM
I have one more question.

Right now, 12*BW = 2940 Cal.

If I find that I'm well below this level nearing the end of the day, should I make sure to eat enough food to get me to that level (or eat certain types of food that will get me there), or should I just leave it be?

For instance, the other day I finished off at about 2300 Calories, which is about 600 below the 12*BW level.

I would think that it would be ok for your last meal to have more calories to get you to your daily total as long as you are not off by a tremendous amount. This is just my opinion, any one else have any input? I would probably make up the difference with some EFA's since it would be your last meal before bed which would in turn slow digestion.

JohnnyBlade
01-15-2003, 06:24 PM
EFA's?

bradley
01-16-2003, 03:17 AM
EFA's?

Essential Fatty Acids

JohnnyBlade
01-16-2003, 08:52 AM
OK. Cool

With all of my intramural sports & various other activities I end up burning a lot of calories via activities, so lately (past few days) I've been pretty good when it comes to calories.

I'm now gonna try and make sure I have an MRP shake after every workout.