PDA

View Full Version : Diet Help Please? :D

UpInFlames
01-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone! I joined awhile ago...but haven't been on in forever. I'm training to be a firefighter and need to put on alot of muscle...I would appreciate some advice on dieting...I'm hearing conflicting things about the on-going low carb saga...Please help! Thanks :D

Katie

AJ_11
01-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Don't worry about the low carb BS. Basicially it all boils down to the amount of calories that you eat versus the calories that you use. If you want to put on muscle you try to eat between 15 - 18*BW. ALthough this might put on some fat but it will put on muscle as well. It also helps if you keep a clean diet to minimize fat gain and have a solid macronutrient breakdown like 50/40/10 c/p/f. As long as you train hard you will put on muscle.

Also if you want to see example of peoples diet check out the journals.

Alex.V
01-12-2003, 03:39 PM
So wait, which do you want to do? Put on some muscle first, or diet? Low carbing and gaining muscle don't really go together. :)

You looking mainly for strength or for a little more size?

Your training routine's important here as well.

MonStar
01-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Good points B.

Your training is going to play a huge role in how much muscle you put on. What kind of, and the duration of cardio you do will also be important. Diet wise I would recommend sticking to clean foods, and make sure you eat smaller, more frequent meals. For example 5-7 smaller meals rather than 3 large ones. This will also help you digest your food better. Complex carbs such as potatoes, rice, oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, will be good choices. Along with fruits and veggies. And of course lean proteins such as tuna, chicken, lean beef, and some fish. Healthy fats such as peanuts, almonds, and olive oil will also be a good idea.

UpInFlames
01-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks so much...you guys are great :D

bradley
01-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
It also helps if you keep a clean diet to minimize fat gain and have a solid macronutrient breakdown like 50/40/10 c/p/f.

10% fat is a too low IMO. Something more like 25% would be better with most coming from EFA's.

AJ_11
01-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by bradley

10% fat is a too low IMO. Something more like 25% would be better with most coming from EFA's.

There are so many different types of breakdowns out there i was just using that as a example. I think that one seems to be the most popular for some people. Although I follow something more like a 20% intake. Dropping carbs to about 40%

I do agree that the majority should come EFA's like flax seeds walnuts,and fatty fish which are Omega 3 rich.